Speaker 1: Wait, the Lucky Land Slots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at lucky landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void, We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 2: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 2: Really? Yes, excuse me? What's the weirdest place.
Speaker 3: You've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: I never win and tell well.
Speaker 3: There you have it.
Speaker 2: You can get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 3: Play for free right now.
Speaker 2: Are you feeling lucky? Nope, we're not necessary boide, We're gonna be my Law eighte plus terms conditions.
Speaker 5: Plus blot Toadian.
Speaker 3: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker, DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 6: Hiring can be a slow process. Kathe Altura COO Dylan Muskowitz needed to hire a director of coffee for his organic coffee company, but he was having trouble finding qualified applicants, so we switched to ZipRecruiter. ZipRecruiter doesn't depend on candidates finding you, it finds them for you. Its technology identifies people with the right experience and invites them to apply to your job, so you get qualified candidates fast. Dylan posted his job on ZipRecruiter and said he was impressed by how quickly he had great candidates apply. He also used Ziprecruiter's candidate rating feature to filter his applicants so he could focus on the most relevant ones, and that's how Dylan found his new director of coffee in just a few days, with results like that it's no wonder. Four out of five employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a qualified candidate within the first day. See why ZipRecruiter is effective for businesses of all sizes. Try ZipRecruiter for free at our web address. ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder that's ZipRecruiter dot com slash m r d er ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder. Zip recruiter The Smartest way to hire. Norko eighty tells the story of how five heavily armed young men led by an apocalyptic born again Christian attempted a bank robbery to turn into one of the most violent criminal events in US history, forever changing the face of American law enforcement. Part action thriller and part courtroom drama, Norko eighty transports the reader back to the southern California of the seventies, an era of predatory evangelical gurus, doomsday predictions, megachurches, and soaring crime rates, with the threat of nuclear obliteration blooming over it all. In this riveting true story, a group of landscapers transformed into a murderous gang of bank robbers, armed to the teeth with military great weapons. Their desperate getaway turned the surrounding towns into war zones. When was over, three were dead and close to twenty wounded. A police held helicopter was forced down from the sky, and thirty two police vehicles were destroyed by thousands of rounds of AMMO. The resulting trials shook the community to the core, raising many issues that continue to plague society today, from the epidemic of post traumatic stress disorder with within law enforcement, to religious extremism and the militarization of local police forces. The book that we're featuring the seating is Narcot eighty, The true story of the most spectacular bank robbery in American history, with my special guest, journalists and author Peter Hulhan. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing to this interview.
Speaker 5: Peter Hulhan, Thanks Dan, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: This is one incredibly exciting book. I have to say, let's start right off from the beginning, as we described in the introduction or I did. Let's talk about what somebody in California, what these two people, what many people saw. Besides joining George Wayne Smith and Christopher Harvin. But what other people saw for people born in the fifties, as you write, tell us about the violent crime rates, tell us take us back to southern California, the nineteen seventies and up to this date in nineteen eighty what do these people see.
Speaker 5: Sure, both the time and the era in which this or the time and the place in which this happened are had an influence on bringing this about this bank robbery. The bank robbers are all from Orange County, California, suburb of Los Angeles, and they came of age in the nineteen seventies. And for George Wayne Smith, there were a number of things that influenced him and kind of propelled him towards this bank robbery. One was the very aggressively evangelical born again Christian movement that began in Orange County, California in the seventies and then swept throughout the country. It was known as the Jesus Movement, and it was these were youth ministries that were revolved around the Book of Revelation and End Times theology. And at an early age George became involved in Cavalry Chapel and at that time cavalry was really based on based on the rapture and you know, the second Coming. So George at an early age believed that the apocalypse and the cataclysmic events and the collapse of society that would lead up to it was imminent. And Cavalry Chapel really pressed the uh pressed the idea that the rapture could come at any moment, and that was certainly for George to have been in Orange County as a the young man in the nineteen seventies was really really brought that about. The other was that you know, if you if you're in that front mind frame and then you're on the lookout for current events that you can match up with revelation prophecy, Southern California of the nineteen seventies and most everywhere in the nineteen seventies was a place to sure could find it. There were a lot of doomsday scenarios that were banded around in the seventies, whether it be asteroid strikes or massive earthquakes or population bombs. And also there were, as you say, you know, crime rates that would be almost unimaginable today, and a lot of the ideologies of the of the nineteen sixties really turned ugly in the seventies, recreational drug use became drug abuse. You know, free love became unwanted pregnancies. There was some really startling events like the Jonestown mass suicide, the Symbionese Liberation Army. There was a lot of revolutionary groups, especially in the early seventies that were bombing things and trying to bring down society. So when George looked out at the world, he could see a lot of events in the United States that looked like social collapse, Babylonian style social breakdown, and also internationally towards the end of the at the end of the seventies and into the yearly eighties, there was the Iran hostage situation. There was war in the Middle East, and as you say, the thing, the existential threat hanging over all of it is really nuclear war. And right out of high school, George Wayne Smith went into the army and he was trained as an artillery man and stationed in Germany, and he was trained on tactical battlefield nuclear weapons. And that was what really made the nineteen seventies dangerous, especially for the possibility of nuclear war, was this proliferation of battlefield nuclear weapons. You know, once you once you use one of those, it's not hard to imagine escalating into the intercontinental ballistics missiles that would bring along obliteration. So when George looked out at the world, a lot of things matched up, and as in terms of how it all might end, nuclear war was something that was not hard for him to imagine and frankly not hard for others to imagine. And I'll just briefly talk about George's George was the one who really planned this bank robbery and recruited the others. He had a roommate, they owned a house together, Christopher Harvin and Christopher Harbin was a bit of a survivalist, and his idea of how the how the end might come for the and the collapse of social order and lawlessness was those doomsday scenarios I had meant and earlier, but of a kind of natural disaster or man made rather than something that would come from God. And also included a nuclear war, but you know, asteroid strikes and particularly and things like that, population bombs. But really he believed in something called the Jupiter Effect, and the Jupiter Effect was a book that was about a alignment of planets that was going to come in nineteen eighty two did come than which the planets would be aligned all on the opposite side of the Sun, and it would affect gravitational pulls, it would trigger volcanoes, earthquakes and things like that. And both George and Chris their dates and George's was the apocalypse or the rapture would come before the end of nineteen eighty and for Chris, as I say, it was looming ahead, just a year and a half ahead. So sorry, it's a rather long answer, but it's certainly all those different factors fed into George Wayne Smith and Christopher Harvin kind of looking that they needed to prepare for lawlessness, social breakdown in which only the well armed and well funded and well prepared which survived.
Speaker 6: You talk about the difference in the characters between Chris Harvin and George Smith, certainly in high school and then in the military. Tell us about that before you talk about the situation that they found themselves. Both had met at the landscaping gig that they had, but now what was their current situation, So tell us about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there were other factors that kind of triggered them to take this action. At the time, they really were two different personalities, and they had both suffered downturns in personal fortune leading up to this. They had both lost their jobs as landscapers for the City Parks Department. They had breakups in their marriage, they were running out of money. George is George had this kind of psychological makeup that may have destined him to, you know, be involved in some sort of event in which people would hurt or die. And that was he had this grandiosity about him, this idea that what he wanted and what he needed was more important than everyone else. He wasn't the guy who set out to kill people. In fact, George had kind of channeled this grandiosity and this idea that he could save everybody around him for the good. Up until then, everyone around him would say that he's a great guy. I mean, and he was, I mean up until then. He's a guy to help you out do anything, lend you money, save your soul. He was pretty aggressively evangelical himself, and so when he looked at his life and saw what you and I might think of as a a downturn in a temporary downturn in fortune, he looked at as a absolute disaster. It was a cognitive dissonance between the person he thought he was destined always to become the great person and a guy who was pretty much down on his luck, had lost his family, was about to lose his home and everything else. And these guys are in there. You know, they're twenty seven and twenty eight years old, so that's their age when they start to take this on him, when they commit this crime. Chris Harvin's just kind of a troublemaker, you know, the guy kid would do anything on a dare. He was always getting trouble at school. Nothing horrendously malicious, nothing violent. Neither of them had any criminal record, those two. And then they had this downturn in fortune and in their personal lives, combined with this idea that, you know, you could have a cataclysmic events looming in the future, and they thought they needed some money to address that and prepare themselves.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about their compounds at Mirror Loma, tell us the proximity to Los Angeles, but also tell us about the nature of this little community and the different and the distance between Norco and other communities. Tell us where it's situated, and tell us a little bit about this Mirror Loma and my idea that it's somewhat of a compound in their minds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a modest compound. The robbery itself took place in Riverside County, California, and eventually went into the pursuit and went into San Berndino County. This is an area known as the Inland Empire. It's roughly forty miles east of Los Angeles, still part of the La Metro area. Really gritty, blue collar area, a lot of warehouses. There's a steel mill out there, the Kaiser Steel Mill. Miror Loma. Is a semi rural, a gritty neighborhood of it was unincorporated area, so that the uh, the zoning laws weren't great. Kind of a some ramshackle houses out there, but mostly a relatively quiet, uh you know, suburban neighborhood. Again you call it probably lower working class, blue collar. And they had bought a house there and uh together and uh it was a modest stucco ranch with a just as they say, a small compound, because it was really just just a little over a quarter acre. And uh, but as they as they prepare not just for the bank robbery, but again to uh to put them in a position to survive the apocalypse. They they began to put barbed wire up around the perimeter, uh walls of their backyard and uh put nailing carpet tacks so if anybody tried to come over that perimeter, they tear their hands up. And they built they dug a pit and a tuddle that went from their backyard underneath their garage so they could either escape the house or use it as a bunker. And they also they'd always they were guys who liked guns, but they really began to ramp up and kind of put together an arsenal at that point.
Speaker 6: So they were on as you write, they're in desperate need of money. But Chris and George, even though they're really good friends and they have a lot of things in common and they have this shared apocalyptic future belief, tell us about George's initial plan and introduce Russell Harvin and Manny Dogado. Who are these people and where did they come from? Who brings in who?
Speaker 5: Certainly George Wayne Smith first had an idea that he was going to rob a Denny's restaurant and Chris said, well, if you're gonna Chris Harvin said, well, if you're going to rob anything, you might as well rob a bank. And then George began to start to plan that, and he he got more and more serious, the more and more desperate he became. And Chris really was kind of reluctant about it. But George is a very persuasive and very articulate guy, and so he began to really pressure Chris to do this, to rob a bank. And I mentioned George's grandiosity, well that extended to his plan to rob the bank. Chris also mentioned that, you know, he wasn't going to do it unless they were unless they were well armed when they went in. But George put together a rather elaborate plan in which he would address every contingency and that included being armed to the teeth with civilian versions of military grade weapons. These are you know, AR fifteen's Heckler HK ninety ones, HK ninety threes. These are two twenty three caliber weapons, and George was back in a three oh eight, which is an absolute cannon, and thousands of rounds of ammunition, high powered high capacity magazines, forty round magazines that they take together jungle style, So there was three of them take together. You could pop out, flip over put it back in. So they started to put together this grand plan. But you know, you get a grandiose plan like this, an elaborate plan, and also almost guarantees that something will go wrong, and it did. They needed decided they needed five people to pull this bank robbery off, and so Chris Harvin recruited his younger brother, Russell Harvin, and Russell was just he's going nowhere in his life. He was diabetic, but he was just kind of hanging out at home working odd jobs, smoking a lot of weed. And when his brother asked him if he wanted to do it, or told him he should do it, Russ just kind of went along with it. Russ didn't really think things through. Russell's about twenty six years old at the time, twenty seven years old at the time. Then George also recruits Many Delgado. Manny Delgatto was only twenty one years old, and they knew each other from again working as landscapers at the Parks Department. And then Manny recruited his little brother, seventeen year old Billy Delgado to be the getaway driver. And Manny and Many and Billy were from very different backgrounds. They were really from the barrio in Orange County, from really tough neighborhoods, and they all had their kind of different reasons for wanting to do it. Manny had one child and another one on the way, his wife was nine months pregnant. He felt he needed money. Billy had kind of a hopelessness about him. He had rheumatwied arthritis and believed that he wouldn't be able to walk past the age of twenty five. And Russell Harvin somehow got in his head that his diabetics, his diabetes would would doom him to death before the age of thirty five. So they all kind of felt like they had nothing to lose, kind of a bit of a desperation about them.
Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and broom?
Speaker 1: Or sorry, we're here.
Speaker 4: We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 5: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 2: In luck case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Lockey team plus terms and conditions applak see website for details. With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by eighteen plus terms and conditions. Applying the website for details.
Speaker 6: It's also I know we mentioned it, but it's important to know for our audience how much rejection these people had from women that had their children in their lives. Three out of the four that we just mentioned. Talk about that a little bit because I think it's really important.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they George is. All of them married very young. But George married at age eighteen, right out of high school, and that marriage quickly collapsed when he went off to Germany. He was then married again to a woman who was ten years older than him, and when they had a child, really their marriage started to fall apart. George was still concentrating on stockpiling weapons and talking about the end of the world, and his wife was trying to raise a baby, and so that marriage also fell apart. Uh, just months before the bank robbery. And again George had this view of himself as he was going to save everyone around him, that he was a really good and responsible guy, and up until then he was and and couldn't understand why this had happened. Christopher Harvin's married at age eighteen, and by age twenty seven, he was his his marriage was falling apart. He was not being able to see his kid as much as he wanted to. Russell Harvin married at age eighteen, and that wife ran off with another woman several years later. You know, she was actually married to another man and had had a had another a child, and but russ still wore their wedding ring, and so you know they were these guys were definitely kind of broken hearted and and a lot of other bad things happening in their lives.
Speaker 6: You right about the incredible scene in this little place at a place called Dave's where they get their weaponry. I know you mentioned some of the incredible weapons that they had that it's beyond hunting and beyond anything and very very military type weaponry. But you talk about Dave and this going back to Dave, so I think it's very incredible cinematic scene in here. But tell us about them going to get weapons and what is their idea about spending the last bit of their money to get these weapons.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's kind of one of the contradictions is that they did take the last few thousand dollars they had and started to ramp up. As I say, they'd always had, you know, handguns around and nothing crazy, you know, just kind of people who are they take them up hunting and things like that. You know, George had a carbine the same sort of he singles, you know, a single shop. The weapons that they began to buy as they moved closer to this were the again the military grade weapons, civilian version, meaning they are semi automatic rather than fully automatic. But they were just the all of these weapons were legally purchased. They were not nearly as prevalent back then as they are now. These semi automatic which commonly referred to as assault rifles, and they were around. They were legal, but they weren't, but they were not nearly as prevalent. And Dave's gun Shop was just one of the places they purchased it, and they would go to different gun stores. But in the course of a week, George Smith walked into Dave's I think it went three times, and purchased two semi automatic weapons two twenty three and AR fifteen and a Heckler in coch HK ninety one, which, as I say, is a three eight and three eight is around that three times as big as a as a two twenty three. Not an animal in the world that can't be brought down with one single shot from a three to eight from a half mile away. And yeah, the guy at Dave's was starting to wonder kind of what was going on, and he joked to a semi joked to George Smith, Gee, what do you need all these for? Are you going to start a war? Rob a bank? And George just laughed.
Speaker 6: Right now part of the plan. Tell us about the plan itself, what George had come up with, and what did all agreed to, and then what do they do in preparation? You talk about the anarchist cookbook that they had access to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the other part of their arsenal, in addition to each all five of them carrying one of these high powered semi automatic rifles and thousands of rounds of ammunition, is they used the anarchist cookbook to make homemade fragmentation grenades. He's a made out of beer cans with an incendiary device in the mid, a detonation device in the middle and uh, and then shrapnel around them. And they tape them up in the tap them up and mask electrical tape, duct tape. And they had fashioned these with some of them on dowels so that you could launch them out of the barrel of a shotgun up to one hundred yards, So you light the fuse and you can launch it out of a shotgun, or you can just you know, toss them. They had a couple dozen of these. They had molotov cocktails, wine bottles filled with leaded gasoline. So once they had all these weapons, and again all of them were had one of these rifles on them. All of them had one or more handguns on them. And the plan was this and this is this is indeed what they executed the day of the bank robbery, which was Friday, May ninth, nineteen eighty uh and in the morning, three of them, the Delgado brothers and Russell Harvin, went to a shopping mall twenty miles away, the Braham Mall, and they stole a van at gunpoint, and they taped up the owner, Gary Hackela, and put him in the back of the van so he could not report it stolen. They then Chris, Chris and George and met up with them, and they still had Gary Hackeler taped up in the back, and they went and put a diversion bomb underneath a gas mane a mile away, and this was six beer bottles filled with gasoline with a detonation device in it. And they put that underneath a gas maine at a behind a strip mall, and it did indeed go off, but it did not ignite the gas maine. A passer by put it out with a fire extinguisher. But the plan was that, obviously that once that went off in this massive explosion, every first responder, including every cop, would be on their way to that and then they would hit the bank. And the bank that George eventually chose was the security Pacific Bank in Norco, California, which borders Miura Loma. Again, we're talking just about the center of a riverside county or near a riverside city. And he George chose his own bank, so the bank that they robbed was George's bank. And they put on a ski masks, military ponchos, and they waited for that that in Sandia, for the diversion bomb to go off, expecting to see all the first responders head down Hamner Avenue towards there. And when that didn't happen at about they waited till about three thirty in the afternoon, and then they decided to go ahead and hit the bank.
Speaker 6: Anyways, let's talk about against an incredibly movie esque scene in here where we have a depth Chuck Hill and Andy Delgado and you provide the backgrounds for this and such vivid characters emerge in this story, and a lot of vivid characters emerge law enforcement and on the other side, but much more in law enforcement rich characters. Let's talk about these two guys and why they were right there across from the bank doing what tell us about this and the reactions from these bank robbers.
Speaker 5: Sure, and The third Riverside County Sheriff's deputy patrolling Norco that day was Glenn Blaski, and he's the first way to encounter them. So it's Andy Delgado, Chuck Hill, and Glen Blaski. And yeah, I do you know, one of the things that really interest me in this story, and I do take a lot of time to paint the picture, is the backgrounds of these various law enforcement officers who became involved in this and kind of the impact it had after words. But you know, the bank robbery itself, and this is George Russ, Chris and Manny Delgado crashing into this bank and ski masks and camouflage and Billy Delgado is to get away drivers sitting outside in this van. That actually is a lot of drama that goes on in that bank, as as goes on with pretty much any takeover robbery where they put everybody down on the floor. But you know, there's a lot of drama that unfolded inside there. But for the most part, they got in that bank and they got out in two and a half minutes. However, when they were going in the bank and their camouflage and their ski masks and rifles. They were spotted by a bank teller at a bank across the street. And it is that bank teller who called the Riverside County Sheriffs to report a robbery at the bank across the street. So it took about two minutes before the dispatcher sent out the two to eleven robbery in progress tone for the Security Pacific Bank, Fourth and Hamner in Norco. And at that time, Glen Balaski, Deputy Glen Blaski just happened to be sitting at that intersection looking straight at that bank. So if you talk about some bad luck mixed in with some rather unfortunate planning, that that's where it came in, was the fact that Glen Blaski was right outside that bank. And and so Glen Balaski, you can hear him on the radio traffic. He reports himself on scene in less than two seconds after that, after that dispatch, and and these are this is right as the bank robbers are coming out of the bank. So Deputy Glen Balaski begins to take fire almost immediately as he takes the turn, just to cruise into the bank and to see what's going on. And Blaski had so little time to really think through what he was getting himself into, that he'd not processed that this was a two to eleven in progress as opposed to a two to eleven silent and most silent alarms are you know, or you know alarms are false alarms nine out of ten of them are. But this was a confirmed robbery in progress. And that's when when Glenn Belaski came head to head with these bank robbers.
Speaker 6: You talk about including this, I know this is a bit of a detour here for a second, but you talk about the prevalence of armed robbery, bank robbery in Los Angeles, how often that actually happened? And also, yeah, tell us first about that. How commonplace is this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Los Angeles for decades had been the what the FBI called the bank robbery capital of the world, and one out of every four bank robberies in the United States takes place within the jurisdiction of the Los Angeles Field Office of the FBI. And the reason is mostly freeways. You know, you can rob a bank and you can jump on a freeway and in five minutes you could be five miles away in cruising the side streets of a whole different police jurisdiction. The golden rule of robbing banks in Los Angeles is rob a bank near a freeway. And again George decided to rob his own bank, and it was seven miles away from the from the nearest freeway. But nineteen eighty was really the sheer number of bank robberies. So Los Angeles had already established self as the bank robbery capital of the world. But the sheer number of bank robberies was beginning to skyrocket, and most of that was because of drug abuse and the cocaine era. When people got addicted, they needed money to feed that habit, and robbing a bank in Los Angeles was not all that difficult. The vast majority are one on one robberies. That's one one bank robber going to one teller telling them, you know, slipping them a note this is give me all your money, and then leaving the bank with two thousand and three thousand dollars something like that. Clearly, George and Chris, we're not driven.
Speaker 4: Step into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
Speaker 4: With family, canolis and spins mean everything. Now you want to get mixed up in the family business. Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slode.
Speaker 2: Some day I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 4: Play the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Family vdW group. No, it's necessary. I believe we're privited by loss.
Speaker 5: He terms and conditions eighteen plus by addiction. And this was a completely different sort of robbery. This is a takeover robbery. And takeover robberies have the potential for danger and and casualties. And they are the robberies that really the FBI loose sleepover. Are these takeover robberies.
Speaker 6: I'm glad you brought up the freeway, the reason for all the bank robberies in Los Angeles and also what their idea was. But because George picked his own bank in terms of the idea that it had easy access to a getaway, you talk about that assessment of Norco itself. Also, when that silent alarm went off and the police were alerted, there was a misdirect as well that just added to this incredible inadvertent diversion. Even more so the version they had originally planned.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, there was some bad luck for the bank as well. And again just to put the industry of banking in perspective, in nineteen eighty, this is a Friday afternoon, and it's payday, and so back in those days, people did not use did not use credit cards for nearly as much, and there really were ATMs were pretty much non existent, and so people would go in and they generally cash half their paycheck and walk out with cash on it. So banks carried a lot of cash. But as the day went on, the bank was also emptying itself out of cash, and they robbed this bank at three thirty in the afternoon. The bank itself did not even have cameras in it. Most did, but this branch did not have any security cameras in it. One teller did manage to trigger the silent alarm, but the bank had been wired incorrectly, and that alarm went to the Corona Police Department, that's the neighboring town. The Corona Police Department dispatched a robbery in progress to the Corona branch of the Security Pacific Bank. So there was certainly a delay there, and if it had not been for that bank teller across the street who had seen them go in and called the uh, the riverside sheriffs and gave them the correct location. You know, none of what followed may have happened at all, and that might have been for the better for all involved as well. But uh, yeah, that that first alarm went to the wrong city.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you talk about Bloski and then uh Gary Keeter knowing that Bloski was in trouble. But part of this is also the technology at the time and turning in terms of radios, and also jurisdictions different counties tell us about that situation in terms of technologically being able to communicate with each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Uh, Dispatcher Gary Keeter is kind of an interesting story. He was actually a patrolman who'd injured his knee and was so a signed behind the dispatch mic and he is he did an absolutely incredible job during this running gun battle that went on for uh for an hour and uh just had so many moving parts and he you hear his voice on the radio traffic. He is calm and cool and filtering through so much information. But here's uh, here's one of the problems that really plagued law enforcement at the time and still does to a certain extent. But and that's that. Uh, this this pursuit, it started with a pitched firefight in front of the bank between three sheriff's deputies and uh five bank robbers in which you know, people were wounded and one bank robber killed, and then became a running gun battle through the suburban streets of Riverside County onto a major highway that went into a San Bernardino County and then up into the mountains. So the the law enforcement agencies involved heavily were the Riverside County Sheriffs, Sam Bernardino County Sheriffs, and the California Highway Patrol. Not to mention some other city agencies that were that were came in were involved, and none of these guys could talk to each other the different agencies there was. There's an interagency system called clay Mars which was just beginning to be implemented, and there was only one in which you could go to a different frequency and all talk to each other, but that was did not really come into play until later on. And even in a very limited sense. Some patrol units had scanners so they could pick up different frequencies, but they could not talk to those other those other agencies. So when this became a pursuit with up to thirty sometimes forty law enforcement vehicles involved, you know, these guys could not talk to each other, nor could some of them talk to the helicopter above which was pursuing the that was pursuing the bank robbers, and that would prove to be fatal later on in the at the end of the pursuit, inability for the lead patrol unit to be able to talk directly to the helicopter and receive reports from that helicopter as to where the truck was that was with the bank robbers in front of it.
Speaker 6: Before we talk about this incredible pursuit, and before that, the complete change of direction for these bank robbers. They had with a diversion, the idea that they would have cold cars, they switch license plates so that they'd be able to go into another vehicle after they stole this first vehicle. But that doesn't happen and they can't go back to Mira Loma. So this pursuit changes, and no one knows and the police certainly can't predict much of a direction, but they have their ideas. And it's interesting all these sheriffs again and deputies pardon me, that are involved in this pursuit. Let's first talk about how outgunned the police were at that time, because that's a big contributing factor to not only Jim Evans' death, but this entire thing that could have turned much, much worse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, certainly, at that time, the sheriff's deputies were still guarding the wild West with the same weapons they had for one hundred years, and that's a six shooter and a Winchester shotgun. And as you can see, that was no match for the weaponry that they were about to encounter. And this this confrontation between law enforcement and bank robbers, as I noticed, started immediately in front of the bank when Glenn Bulaski came head to head with them, and then soon Chuck Hill and Andy Delgado, the other two deputies who were patrolling Norcobe, came un scene and there was a pitched firefight in a crowded southern California intersection at three point thirty in the afternoon on a Friday, and there were over five hundred rounds fired. Blaski's vehicle was hit forty six times. Blasky was wounded in by bullet fragments or flying glass in five different places, including a shot to the elbow that severed an artery. But Blaski did manage to get off four shotgun rounds and Andy Delgado managed to discharge his shotgun with ten rounds and they did inflict some damage. The getaway driver, Billy Delgado, was shot in the back of the head with a shotgun pellet that paralyzed him and the van veered off course and crashed into a fence. So the police were effective, was what they had. But once the pursuit got going after that, they really didn't stand a chance because when Billy Delgado was killed, the van kind of rolled off to the side and they couldn't get Billy out of the seat. So they abandoned the van and spread out into the intersection. They brought there they left their twenty thousand dollars that they'd gotten from the bank robbery, which was a terrible take, and they they offloaded their double bags full of bombs and UH and UH ammunition and brought their rifles with them and began to fan out into this intersection while laying down heavy fire. The entire time on on the three deputies there and as they say, wounding a significantly wounding Blaski. But in general, yeah, there was a uh there. The police were completely outgunned, especially because the bank robbers then commandeered a Ford F two fifty pickup truck that was used that had been modified for as a service vehicle, a heavy heavy uh heavy equipment uh maintenance trucks. So had they fabricated a cabinets on the sides of it, and they were filled with equipment in tools and UH. And then they they'd mounted a settling and oxygen tanks on the back, back on against the cab, those big tall tanks, and there's nothing nothing the police were shooting it would ever penetrate those. So this was you had. You then had h You had Russ Harvin and George Smith in the back. Both have been wounded. George has been wounded pretty significantly. You had Manny Delgado sitting out the passenger window, he literally had his torso completely out the passenger window, and Chris Harvin driving, and all of the three guys had again these semi automatic high powered rifles. So for all intents and purposes, this was like a military military vehicle in terms of its its armor and sell it's it's firepower.
Speaker 6: Chris Harvin has taken over from Billy Degatto, the driver that was shot in the back of the head. So what did they decide to do knowing this area? But what still, what's this decision that they do that police couldn't possibly predict where to go with this pursuit? And how is that an advantage to them?
Speaker 5: Certainly? So to set the scene back at the intersection, the van is abandoned, Billy Delgado is dying in the front seat in the process of dying in the front seat, and over five hundred rounds have been fired. People are running for their lives when they commandeer this at gunpoint, this truck I just mentioned, and they first begin heading back to their home that they've you know, their compound as you put, at their fortified home in miro Loma, which is about nine or ten miles away, And they head up Hamner Avenue, which is the busiest boulevard in that area in Norco, and heads up towards miro Loma. And as they head north, it starts to become more and more kind of rural. There's kind of there's vineyards out there, there's bean fields, there's sheep grazing meadows and things like that. But it's still a very populated area. And as they begin to head towards their house, they're really weaving through side streets and they turn almost every block, and so it's almost impossible for these pursuing units to predict where they're going to come out the radio traffic, they're saying, Okay, they're they're you know, they're headed this way on this street. Then now they're headed this way on this street. Now they're headed this way on another street, and you know, trying to intercept them or set up a roadblock became almost impossible. There is not a helicopter on them at that point. Riverside County Sheriff did not have a helicopter. They had requested one from a from a nearby city, Riverside City PD, and that had not that was not yet on the that had not yet engaged the pursuit. So what was happening is these police officers were flooding into the area and the California Highway Patrol had begun to self dispatch off the freeways and we're involved now, and but they would suddenly come upon this truck with almost no warning, and these you know, again you have three guys firing high powered rifle and they were immediately being hit with gunfire. There were numerous vehicles struck by gunfire, including civilian vehicles. They also rammed a few civilian vehicles. They pushed one out into an intersection, so they took that truck and just rammed them out of the intersection so they could get through the light. The next intersection they rammed it, hit another car sideways, they t boned it, sent it spinning, and then they started weaving through these streets. And in the matter of you know, about ten minutes, there was an additional five five people hit by gunfire, four deputies and a civilian by the time they got up to Mira Loma, and then by the time and then the helicopter engaged them in Mira Loma. So when they did finally get to their house, they really had no ability to stop there. I mean, they had a helicopter on them, and they still had one California Highway Patrol unit and three deputies right following through these through these streets with.
Speaker 1: The lucky land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at lucky landslips dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 6: So what was the route they took? What was the idea? Where were they They originally had an idea to escape if the bank robbery were successful. Now what was their idea and what was their route? And again it banished route.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the initial idea was to as you mentioned, they had parked a couple of cold cars, which were their personal vehicles with stolen plates on them, and they were going to dump the van and the hostage who's still in the back, would you know? And they would dump that the van, hop into those cars, head out to Las Vegas and and launder the money through the casinos there. When uh when, by the time they now now in the truck By the time they got up to the cold cars, they had to they had police officers, they were already encountering them. They've been spotted. So Chris Harvin decided not to stop at the cold cars, and that's when they were headed towards their house. And the advantage, of course, was weaving through those streets was that nobody could get a beat on them or set up a roadblock or otherwise prepared to encounter them. And uh, you know they are and that at that point headed in the direction inadvertently headed in the direction of a of a freeway. But yeah, the second destination was the house itself.
Speaker 6: So tell us about what happens with the again, it's it's interesting. You have all these deputies disabled, their cars disabled by gunfire, people piggybacking into other vehicles, people going first in the line then dropping back. There is warning too to drop back from these guys because of their weaponry is hitting targets of half a mile to a mile, which is astonishing. Again, there isn't communication with everyone. Tell us what happens with Deputy Jim.
Speaker 5: Evans after weaving through the streets of a suburban Riverside County and deciding to abandon stopping at their house. They weaved around and they passed the house twice and then abandoned that idea and then tried tried to actually commandeer another vehicle, which which failed. But at that point they had reached had reached the freeway, the Pomona Freeway, and the strategy at that point was to head up into the mountains above Los Angeles and to then try to use the fact that they had this truck to lose the patrol vehicles which are really you know, sit ans and on the rough dirt roads and eventually disappear into the canyons. So the first thing they did is they got on the Pomona Freeway and then onto Interstate fifteen and headed east into the mountains above Los Angeles and Los Angeles and Riverside San Bernardino, and they crossed into the San Bernardino County line, so they've passed into the jurisdiction of the Riverside County Sheriffs and onto the freeway, which is the turf of the California Highway Patrol. So now you had Riverside still pursuing California Highway Patrol descending from all different directions and then the San Bernardino County Sheriffs starting to flood onto the freeway at that point, and that's where they are hitting patrol vehicles from about a half a mile away. And soon the patrol units, the deputies, and the CHP units start to turn off their lights, their light bars because they were they realized they were being targeted. They could see the light bars. Chris Harvin also begins to slow down to at points to try to ambush these these pursuing vehicles, draw them in close, hit the brakes and have those guys fire on them from close range. They throw out three fragmentation grenades on Interstate fifteen that pepper the pursuing police officers with shrapnel. This whole time, they're hitting civilian cars as well semi trucks, shooting them at close range, some of the inadvertently some inexplicably turning their guns on civilians. So people are bailing off the freeway into the breakdown lane. Trucks are swerving to get out of the way. It is absolute chaos on this freeway and it's at this point that they turn their guns on a San Bernardino County Sheriff's helicopter that's about eight hundred feet above them and George Smith. It's a round from a three to eight right through the belly of this helicopter and it immediately the electrical system in the radios catches fire. And luckily it's a Vietnam chopper pilot with tons of combat experience behind the stick in that helicopter, and he manages to get it down to the ground before it before it crashes, and they are and then a second helicopter quickly comes in and resumes the pursuit. But the way they're headed is to the mountains of above Los Angeles, and they get off after about eight miles. They get off at Sierra Road and start to head up Lytle Creek. And Lytle Creek is a place where they were familiar. It is a it's a place where you can fire guns anywhere you want at that time, and that's where they had gone to practice with their new weapons. Even threw a hand grenade down in the cannon to make canyon to make sure they work. That was a week before, so they're very familiar with this area. And you know, if you know the little if you know the San Gabriel National Forest and Mount Baldy in that area. These are very rugged mountains. You know, they can jut up to over ten thousand feet very rapidly. So these are very rough canyons. And when that pursuit and it's you know, this is a two lane road that starts his asphalt and then turns into turns into a dirt road and again a rough dirt road. So a lot of these cars are breaking down as you say, ones that were hit with gunfire are bailing out and the police officers and summer jumping out of one vehicle and getting into another one. So now there's you know, some of them have two and even three officers in there. And you mentioned Jim Evans, and this is where on the on the I fifteen's where Jim Evans, Deputy Riverside Deputy. Jim Evans joins the pursuit. And I'll give you a little bit of background on Jim Evans. He's older, he's about thirty eight years old. He's a career military. He is Green Beret, highly decorated in Vietnam UH combat mission. So he's a he's a senior guy. He joined the joined the river. He's only joined the Sheriff's department and about five years before. But he was certainly destined to move up the ranks. Just a wonderful human being. Quiet, He's a Texan, so he's got that Texas drawl, really looked up to by the bias fellow deputies. And and so Jim Evans is in uh in one of the front cars in the pursuit as it heads up into this very ominous landscape of the mountains.
Speaker 6: And uh. You talk about Mary too, You describe and and feature her in the story as well. She's a bus driver. It's later in the evening. I don't think she's served. She hadn't heard any news at all.
Speaker 5: Tell us about that, Yeah, Mary Evans, you know the uh uh Jim and Mary Evans is really a unique kind of love story. As I say, Jim Evans was a was a Texan and UH and military and he moved to a Riverside County because he was familiar with it from being there in the military. Mary was a a Italian Roman Catholic from Boston who ended up in Riverside because she loved horses and and had come out at one point they she had had had a pretty rough life and she was a very tough woman. And when these two found each other, they had they had really found the love of their lives. They were a perfect couple couple together. They both loved to ride horses, owned horses, and uh, it's kind of one of these things where long last both of them had found the perfect person. And they'd been married about two years and had a uh, had a son that was about six, about eight weeks old at the time. And Mary was a municipal bus driver. And again you know the times in which these things take place. Excuse if you didn't have the radio on, and even then, you might not have even known this was going on unless you encountered this crazy pursuit that was unfolding. And she was on a bus route at the time, so she did not know her husband, Jim Evans, was involved in anything because she didn't know this was going on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, now back to this pursuit here we talk about it continues the next day because that's how dangerous this is. And they realized that with this ambush ability and darkness as a cover, that they should regroup and bring in another helicopter and bring in some more people and hunt and kill team. Tell us about this endeavor on the next day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and and and I'm sorry you asked me and I didn't wrap up. They kind of wrap up the pursuit that day as it goes up into Lytle Creek. Uh. There is a couple of things that have occurred. Number One, there is a a Sambernardino deputy named DJ McCarty who happens to be sitting in the station getting off a shift, and he starts to hear the radio traffic through the squawk box there and and then he decides that he's just start to put his uniform back on and maybe get out there. And then another deputy, Jim McPherrin, is out in the field and he hears the helicopter be grounded and he radios back to the to the station. He says, uh, get the ar And what he meant was there was the Uh. There was a M sixteen, a you know, a military M sixteen rifle that they had confiscated from a drug dealer in a pursuit. Drug dealer throw it out the window on the freeway. And that was the only high powered rifle that either of those departments had was this one confiscated M sixteen rifle and the military didn't want it back, so it was sitting around in a sergeant's trunk of their car and DJ McCarty runs out. He grabs that weapon, and this is a fully automatic M sixteen, you know, rifle that they use in Vietnam, and four magazines full of ammunition. And he jumps in with McPherrin and they start to try to make their way up to the front of the pursuit line, and they are radioing to other vehicles, you know, get out of our way. We have a you know, we have a rifle here. And so they are starting to move up the pursuit line when this pursuit then goes onto a fire road, a very narrow fire road that is clean to the side of this mountain, and Jim Evans is then in the lead, and by then DJ McCarty has gotten to number two in the pursuit line behind Evans. But Evans, again because of the radio situation, does not know that there is a there's a vehicle behind him that has that high powered rifle that they're trying to bring the bear on the pursuit. There are about forty police cars still there, winding still in the pursuit line as they head up this very treacherous fire road. And what happens is when they get around a curve, the uh, the truck encounters wash out in the road and they have to they have to bring the pursuit to a hall pen. They can't go any farther. They jump out and they ambush the pursuing police officers and and deputies. And I won't give away that that's a very dramatic scene. It is again another ferocious firefight, this time seven thousand feet up a mountain side. And and when it's over again, Evans is dead and the remaining four bank robbers disappear into the canons of Mount Baldy. They run up the fire road, they climb over the the washout, and they uh, they they disappear in the canyons. By that time, it's it's it's uh, you know, it's it's coming on five o'clock in the evening. There's a it's cold up there. The helicopter's a cloud covered descending, so that they're gonna lose their helicopters soon. It's starting to get dark, and the law enforcement decides they're just gonna hunker down and start a massive man hunt. The next day to UH to round up these four escaped bank robbers and at this point cop killers ad no, I'm sorry yeah, And this this leads to UH your question about putting together this man hunt, which turns into the largest man hunt in UH California law enforcement history. And they start to bring in specialized teams. There's UH, there's UH there's dog, there's a search dogs, you know, sniffer dogs and uh uh uh uh deputies on horseback and uh search search and rescue teams. They start to bring in helicopters. The military brings in uh Arctic parkas that some of the deputies put on. It gets very cold that night, and it does. There's a dusting of snow and freezing rain. And when they set off the next day there they have SWAT teams up there. They have these tracker teams and what they brought in from a Los Angeles county where what's known as the hunt and kill teams, and a hunt and kill team is is two two swap members, one with a shotgun and one with a high powered rifle. And they are then accompanied by one UH one deputy and and one UH tracking team. And you can tell by the name that their their job is uh, you know, they're they're not officially called the hunt and kill team, but they're they're meant to, you know, to to be able to bring to locate suspects and if necessary, have the firepower to as they say, neutralize that suspect. So there are the hunt and kill teams up there as well. When they start this massive man hunt the next.
Speaker 6: Day, yeah, interesting. The next day you say, it's incredibly cold, and these robbers, some of them awake. Russell awakes, George Smith awakes. He thought he might be dead because he had been hit significantly and was bleeding. Who do the hunt and kill teams? Who do the police first encounter? And what does that person have to say once encountered? Is very interesting? Somebody is there to record?
Speaker 5: Yes. Then when they had escaped up the fire road, they had split up. The first to kind of go off the road and down the side of the mountain side to hide was George Smith had been shot in the groining back in front of the bank with a with a shotgun pellet, and had been twice and had been had been bleeding out in the back of that truck, and he fully expected that he was going to die because he had lost so much blood so he was weak. He went about two hundred yards down the mountain side, kind of hid behind a bush, sat there through the night, and it was just a miserable night. They were soaked through with freezing rain. He'd thrown away his rifle at this point. He just had a couple of handguns on him. And George was kind of done by the time, as as you mentioned, he was waking up during the night and kind of looking up and certain times thought he was actually dead, you know, kind of am I alive? Am I dead? And the first the first person law enforcement encounters as George Smith and the other two, as I said, Chris Harvin, Russ Harvin Manny Delgado, had all individually at some point gone over the as they go over the side off the fire road and down down into the mountains and the canyons, but they've gone separately. So George next morning, George Smith is the first to be found and he really gives himself up. But he's a few hundred yards down this very treacherous mountain side and it's gonna in his condition, it's gonna take him a while to walk him down to where a helicopter can take him out, and uh Sam Bernadino uh sends a homicide detective up the mountain side with a tape recorder to interrogate George Smith as they're bringing him down, and it's it's very dramatic audio. You can hear the helicopter in the back and uh rosta Ork homicide detective roster of Orick is interviewing George Smith. And the first thing he tells him is, George, you realize you have a bullet in you You you realize you may die, right George? And George says yeah. And then and so basically what roster of Orick has got him into is sort of a deathbed confessional. And roster Worick honestly thought he might die before he gets him down this mountain side. He can only go about, you know, fifteen feet before they need to have him rest. He keeps saying he wants to go to sleep, and but he gets a rather stunning confession and full accounting of the bank robbery and the names of the other bank robbers, and George admits that he'd put the whole thing together his idea as they're as they're going down that mountain side, and in the end George survives, and a lot of that is is used against them all in the in the coming trial. So George is the first to give up. At about nine eight thirty in the morning, Russ had found his brother Chris. During the night, Chris had had been had been shot in the back during the ambush up on the fire road. He he had he had about had it midway through the through the night and ahead and started a fire just kind of, you know, the heck with it? If I if I get seen and caught, you know, I'm not getting out of this anyways. Russell sees the fire and uh and goes down the hillside and and meets up with his brother and as it becomes light, and they just decide they're going to start walking out of the canyon. And if they walk out of the canyon, great, but they fully expected that they would be captured at some point down the way. So Chris has got the bullet in his back and he is coughing of blood. Russell Harvin is diabetic and he has no insulin or food on him, and he had also taken a shotgun pellet underneath his scalp in the intersection in front of the bank. It had not penetrated the skull, but it was still underneath his underneath his scalp. And they are spotted and picked up. They had actually quite made it quite a ways out of Lytle Creek canyon, and but they were spotted and picked up and gave up about ten thirty in the morning, and that led Manny Delgado. Manny Delgado was the only one who had not been wounded during the firefight, but he had seen his seventeen year old little brother die in front of him, or you know, badly wounded and honest clearly on his way to death. He was paralyzed at the time by the round and you know, may the thinking was Manny was probably not going to give himself up at this point. Is is generally considered his state of mind. And he ran the farthest up the fire road and then began during the night making his way over mountaintops, you know, ridge lines and things like that, and when daylight came, he was under it. He was kind of at the crest of a ridge line. Then we're talking seven thousand feet up in the mountains. Eight thousand feet I think is around where he was under some very thick brush, so thick you'd have to crawl on your to really to be able to penetrate it. And he is a hunker down there. Of course, he's got no food whatever, water, he's just squeezing out of his clothes to drink. He is armed. He also has thrown away as a rifle, and he's armed with a thirty eight revolver. The hunt and kill teams and the SWAT teams up there assume he has a high powered rifle, but at that point he didn't. And Manny Delgado gets just by almost sheer luck, gets spotted by a helicopter when they see just a flash of blue from some some gloves Manny was wearing for warmth that he'd used during the robbery, and they signal to a hunt and kill team in La County Sheriff's Hunt and Kill team where he is. They hover down below him to to you know, to cause such a racket. You know, they're they're using the rotor blades to part the brush. Of course, it's a huge amount of noise and spraying dirt all over him and everything that kind of just packed him while this hunt and killed team sneaks up and when they get about fifteen feet away, they yell for Manny to freeze. Manny looks over, kind of leans up, and you know, these guys are not trained to give a to give a fugitive, especially one who's already killed a police officer anytime. They don't give them any breaks, and they immediately, you know, they open fire on him and they they kill Manny Delgado.
Speaker 6: It's found out later that he killed himself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a bit of a mystery about the death of Manny Delgado. As they say, these this hunt and kill team came up, one with a high powered rifle, one with a shotgun. And when I said, they didn't give him a break, they just they're not gonna take any risk that this that the fugitive is going to fire back at him. And when Manny Delgado hears them yell, he leans up. He's lying flat on his stomach at the time. He leans up kind of on his left and they see he's got the gun in his hand and they fire on him. But the autopsy later on shows that Manny Delgado was killed from around from his own gun, shot straight through his heart. And there is kind of a poetry if you will about that. You know, he'd just seen his little brother get killed, his little brother who he talked into, talked into becoming part of this, and you know, sure he was broken hearted. And there was some rumors that went around that maybe he had, you know, just just killed himself, but it's more likely that he had fallen on the gun when the first round went through and the gun been discharged. But it was the cause of death in the end, was a self inflicted gunshot wound through the heart.
Speaker 6: He would have been dead one way or another right away. You have the fascinating aspect of that recorded confession from George Smith when he thought he was going to die. What's even more fascinating is when these characters are arrested and in prison, in jail awaiting, and there's different responses now that there's the confession, but now that George realizes he's not going to die, and Chris has a different attitude with investigators once he's arrested. Tell us about those people being questioned, but first tell us what both of their thoughts are, but especially George, once they are arrested and concerning this whole revelation idea end times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the day they are captured. The three surviving bank robbers there, of course split up, and we still have the interrogation tapes on all of them. Russell Harvin is he sounds utterly stunned to have found himself in this situation. And it's just saying, I'm boy. You know my parents are boy or my parents going to be surprised, surprised and needless to say, they were and devastated. He also begins to just cough up information. You can hear he's a he's reluctant to he's trying to hedge it. He's he keeps saying he forgets things, but he does keep talking. You know, Rest is a guy who's easily talked into things, and he was not much of a challenge for these interrogators. Plus they've been pretty much caught red handed.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Chris Harvin also also gives out details. Chris is a little bit uh, it turns out more during the trial, a little a guy who's kind of in it to protect himself and and but he he tells about and he's also saying, I can't believe I got talked into This is such a stupid idea. I knew this was a stupid idea. I knew it wouldn't work, and he says, you know, George did this, and George gave pure pressure on me to do it. George's helicopter to a to a hospital, and George just just kind of freely talk. He's he's his usual very soft spoken, intelligent self, and uh he also you know, he just says, I put it all together. I did this. I told these guys to do this. I told them where to go. I picked the bank and everything. So they all confess, and at that point they don't really neither of them mention anything about their beliefs out of what propelled them to do it. It's only later when they go to trial that they begin to to bring it up and almost use it as a strategy, you know if, rather than just it just being a you know, a greedy bank robbery, they kind of assign it a higher purpose, you know, that that they believed that the end of the world has come and one of the just and that they were doing it because they needed to save those who they loved, so it was almost a you know, a higher purpose to it. One of the most unusual things is that two weeks after they are captured. Is when Mount Saint Helen's volcano blows up in Washington State and both George and Chris see that, you know, that catastrophic event. You know, a lot of people, a lot of people die, but mostly just a natural, natural phenomena natural disaster event. You know, they think, well, here we go. You know, George is thinking it's the first son. Chris Harvin, you know, Okay, the Jupiter effect isn't there at that time. But Chris had always thought it would be volcanic activity and seismic earthquakes and things along the Pacific rim that would that would throw California into chaos and destruction. So it's it's kind of an unusual, unusual coincidence.
Speaker 6: You talk about the attorneys, and of course there are people that are opposed to the death penalty because this is potential for a death penalty with this. What's interesting is the who do they blame? They have to blame someone, so who do they blame in this?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, you know, the trial was what was the most unexpected thing in this entire entire book and entire event. I grew up in southern California. I knew when this event happened It was absolutely astonishing to me. I mean, we've really seen nothing like it before. And the trial, you get this whole new cast of characters come in, these very is very interesting and defense attorneys, and it's it's it's a death penalty trial. And it's not a matter of whether these guys are going to be found not guilty, it's whether they're going to be sentenced to death. But it is still a very dramatic trial and it starts to go off the rails almost immediately with a jury selection and that lasted six months, which is absolutely unheard of. But this trial just becomes a fascinating you know, probably the most unusual development comes about twelve months into this trial. One of the more unusual when Chris Harvin's defense attorney, Chris Harvin and his defense attorney to try suddenly throw a hail Mary defense into this in which they say that Chris was never even there for the bank robbery. In fact, Chris had tried to talk everybody out out of doing this the morning of, and that there was a mysterious character named Jerry Cohen who was actually the guy mistaken for Chris Harvin in the bank, and it was Jerry Cohen, who had forced them all to do this, and Chris had bailed out at the last second, he claimed and testifies to, and was running up Hamner Avenue to just to get back home when all of a sudden, the yellow truck came and Manny do and he says, Manny Delgado and Jerry Cohen pointed a gun at me and forced me to drive the truck and I didn't want to do it, but that's why I'm up on the mountain. But I wasn't part of this. So this Jerry Cone, who of course has never been found, is is the one they blame. And the other is that they start to put the blame on Manny Delgado. Manny's not there to defend himself. Manny, by all accounts, was he and Russell Harvin probably the most prolific shooters in the entire pursuit. So they've been spotted. Many has been sitting outside the cab for most of the pursuit out the passenger window. And the real, uh, the the what was going to get them the death penalty was the death of Jim Evans, Deputy Jim Evans, and uh and so then there then there becomes another person who they start to blame on all this when it comes to the death of Jim Evans, and that is they claim they put on a friendly fire defense, and they claimed that DJ McCarty, the Sambernandino deputy, who had the M sixteen rifle that he had never used before in his life and did bring it to bear during that ambush and was in the vehicle right behind Jim Evans. So when they all jumped out of their out of their vehicles, they say that DJ McCarty opened fire with a gun he'd never used before and shot Jim Evans, who was ten feet in front of him. And so they so DJ McCarty not only has the uh, you know, the traumatic experience of watching another deputy killed in front of him, the terror of almost being killed himself. I mean, he had been shot once and he was taking heavy gunfire before he was able to figure out how to use this gun properly. Now he has the you know, the whispers and everything of other cops saying, well, you know, you know, they say that DJ McCarty kill killed Jim Evans. So it was a really terrible experience all around for for DJ McCarty, who was a really young, young deputy at the time. So yeah, the blame goes to this mysterious character Jerry Cone.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: Most of the time they're blaming Manny Delgado for being the one who who who's doing most of the shooting, and then you know they're just saying, oh, no, that was Manny, No, that was Manny who was doing that, and the other is DJ McCarty. So that was the basis of a lot of their defense.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's also interesting when you talk about g J. McCarty also and the the idea that that Evans was shot and that these uh, these perpetrators were all putting it on each other and this mysterious Jerry Cohen. But part of the defense of George Smith. Uh, they as per customary, they hire an investigator to assist the defense lawyer, especially in a capital case like this. Again and just another fascinating twist to this story. We don't want to go too far into it, but what happens with this investigator named Painter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I won't go too far into it for obvious reasons. The most fascinating characters, if you will, I mean, I never lose sight that these are real human beings on both sides. But if you will, that characters are the defense team of George Smith, and that is an attorney, a real pitbull of an attorney both in looks and an attitude, named Clayton Adams who who is fighting dinner to save George Smith's life. And he is assigned a investigator from the Public Defender's office named Jeanie Painter. And Jeanie Painter is thirty three years old. She's a veteran investigator. She has done hundreds of felonies before. She's considered extremely good, also very Harry's heavy workloads. And investigators are you know, needless to say, they're just absolutely critical to a trial. They're they're out there gathering evidence, they're out there interviewing people, they're orchestrating all everything in the courtroom for the for the defense attorney. And Jennie Painter is say thirty three years old, and she's she's very attractive. There's a bond hair and uh you know, a real head turner around the courthouse which is mostly men in that era, and uh uh. As this trial moves ahead, and the trial was moved out of a Riverside County down to San Diego County, there begins this relationship that develops between Jeanie Painter and George Wayne Smith. And a lot of it had to do with a you know, where Jeanie Painter was in her life, and she was she was still as much of a veteran as she was, she was still a young woman. She was now transferred away from her family and under incredible stress and incredible workload. And George Smith is a very compelling, it's very compelling, articulate guy. And and so this relationship, and that's a kind word for it, begins to develop between the two of them, and and then soon turns into a lot of misconduct on the part of Genie Painter, and she sort of falls under the h the spell of George Smith. And there's accusations of jail house sexual misconduct and smuggling drugs into the prison or into the jail, bringing in naked photographs of herself for George. And so Genie Painter really takes a beating in this and it really suffers under kind of a from this relationship that that she's developed with George Smith.
Speaker 6: Yes, incredible and you know, threaten.
Speaker 5: It threatens to derail this entire trial. I mean in this trial is now months. I mean in the end, it took sixteen months this trial and between jury selection, and this was late in the game that this this bombshell revelation comes out. And when the jail says Genie Painter is not allowed to visit George Smith and jail anymore, we won't have this going on, and it almost creates a mistrial in this at this late stage. But the judge is just desperate not to have this trial end after twelve months or fourteen months, so he manages to keep it, to keep Genie Painter involved and keep the keep the trial moving.
Speaker 6: It's one of the most fascinating parts of this book is the trial. Like you say, but what Chris Harvin taking the stand and weaving this incredible story fable, But it also hurts his fellow cohorts.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it certainly does. In the process to Save You the To Save You explained it a little bit, and I do describe why the mechanics of the legal system and trials kind of opens. Once Chris takes the stand and he begins to tell his own story. He then opens the door for evidence that had previously been excluded to now being included including his statement, his confession or or you know, statement to police, and as well as the other guys which had actually been ruled out up to that point because it implicated the others. You can implicate yourself in a confession. But they were being tried together, all three of these, Russ, Chris, and George were being tried together. And yeah, so in the in the prosecutor Jay Hanks just completely tears apart Chris Harvin on the on the stand because it's just a it's a preposterous story. And Chris is trying to act like he's just this innocent victim and never shot a gun, tried to stop this from happening, and but he but he Chris has opened up the door. So Jay Hanks just dismantles him, and in the process, Chris implicates Russ. He effectively puts a gun in Russ's hands at the as well as George at the ambush site during his testimony because his confession he had mentioned it. And so you know, these are guys are trying to trying to blame it on Manny or on DJ McCarty, and you know some of them were even George saying I was too weak. I couldn't even fire. Others say I didn't even have a gun. Chris is saying I was shot in the back, and true enough. But so he didn't do it. But it was a very big deal when when Chris Harvin for throwing this hail Mary defense, this crazy defense, and then ends up implicating, as they say, his best buddy George Smith and his little brother putting a gun in their hand that might have gotten them the death penalty.
Speaker 6: Yes, very interesting, needless to say, what is the outcome, what do jurors decide and what's the sentence?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, they were. They were found guilty on forty six major felonies, including kidnapping, explosives, twenty four counts of attempted murder on a police officer. They were actually, you know, found guilty of the murder of Jim Evans as well as Billy Delgado under the felony murder rule because they started the firefight in which Billy Delgatto got killed. So they had forty six major counts and then it went into the penalty phase. And one of the more unusual things in the penalty phase is Clayton Adams had George Smith named a co council in it, and it allowed George Smith to actually question some of his some of his witnesses, or at least one of them during the penalty phase. But it also allowed George Smith to give a closing argument, but only if George would would refer to himself from the third person, and so that made it a kind of a creepy aspect to it, with George Smith's standing up there, and this is the first time anybody, any of the jurors had heard George Smith. And what it did is allowed George Smith to kind of make a statement about himself without being cross examined. So it's a bit of a legal trick, and it's it's quite a speech George gives, and it is overflowing with very with religious prophecy and very scholarly interpretations of the Bible, which frankly lose a lot of the juries dur along the way. But George is basically saying, George Smith would never kill another human being. George Smith believes in the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, George Smith would never do this. And it's a very odd moment. And in the end they are sentenced to life without parole rather than the death penalty, and a reporter comments who had covered the entire trial, comments that he thought it was sort of like Stockholm syndrome. You know, when you spend that amount of time in a room as the we had in the same room with three human beings, no matter what they've done, you're just simply not going to be sentencing them to death. So they did get found, they were sentenced to life without parole, and that's that is where they remain today. Just a quick thing, Dan, I'm sure people have commented before, well, you're telling so much of the story, you know, how do you Why do you tell so much of the book? And I got to tell you, and I hope you'll agree, is there is so much detail that goes into these just fascinating details, and so much more that happened during that pursuit that I haven't mentioned that. Uh, No one has ever felt like I gave away the book by by even by kind of telling what the major events are in it.
Speaker 6: No, I think it just prompts somebody to want to read the entire thing, to catch everything that, to grab everything and to understand everything that we've spoken about excitedly. Both of us because it's such a fascinating, exciting tale. The pursuit is incredible, these brave officers, the citizens running a mock, the effect of this trial, so all of these things, and we hadn't even touched on just one little thing that again, it was interesting about George Smith's father being dismissed from or quitting the police force after he encountered resistance when he was being an honest cop and found a corruption and again just another little thing that added to George Smith's it seemed in conflict with his character that George Smith would end up where he did end up. So it's very, very fascinating how the background and everything that you brought into the story factors into this incredible, this incredible tale.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, one of the elements of the seventies, of course, was this uh what range from distrust or adversarial kind of attitude towards police officers. You know, some some people hated them, you know, thought them the foot soldiers of the status quo, and uh, George and Chris certainly didn't hate them, but they didn't trust them. And George had that uh yeah, that experience in his family where his father, uh was at Casper, Wyoming and arrested two police officers who he caught in the middle of the night robbing a store on Main Street. And uh, when he brought him back to the department, the he's the one who gotta you know, they let him go and said, what the hell are you doing arresting these guys? And he found really kind of deep corruption and it was very disillusioning. His father had always wanted to be a cop, so that that was kind of circulating in the family, this this idea that you can't trust policemen, which made George and Chris even want to arm up more because they felt their attitude was, well, cops kill people if they find them. You know, if they catch us, they're going to try to kill us. So uh, you know they set out to kill any cops, but they certainly certainly tried once they uh once they had these uh once once the firefight began.
Speaker 6: Yes, I want to thank you very much Peter for coming on and talking about Norcowati, the true story of the most spectacular bank robbery in American history. It's been actually an absolute privilege and a thrill for me to talk to and share this book with other people the listener for those people that might want to look at this as a website or Facebook page quickly that you could refer us to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, certainly, and thank you, Dan, I really appreciate it. My website is Peterhulahan dot com. H o U l A hj N. But really, the book is available everywhere. There's an audiobook that's out now as well, was released at the same time, so all the places you normally buy books you can find this one. And uh so so it's it's it's out there in the world and available.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much, Peter Hulan, good night, Thanks Jim, good night. M