Speaker 1: Welcome to Part three of My Return to Dudley Castle. In this final episode, Amy takes me around the castle grounds themselves, guiding me through some of the locations most closely linked to reported paranormal activity, from shadowy corners to open spaces with long memories. This is where the stories we've been discussing throughout this series truly come to life. Okay, so you join us now in a section of the castle undercroft. Amy has been kind enough to stick around. Actually I'm keeping her way longer than she should be here for, but she's been so incredibly kind to have a wander around and give us a description where we are and what we're going to be doing here.
Speaker 2: We're actually what they call castle Creatures, which is the old visitor centric It's part of the undercroft, so Celerich so undercross are above grown storage areas, which is where we were before. This one is directly under we're under the anti chamber at the moment, but it runs right under the castle, the medieval castle. He is also clusters one of the most taunted areas right here.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so.
Speaker 3: We're in the what we call the vestibule.
Speaker 2: So this is the entrance and we're looking at our four fathers of the castle. So we've got models of Anscorf of picking Ay, the very first Norman Lord Roger Dissummary the second, who is quite important because he actually founded the priory. He also founded the marketplace. I don't know if you know that Dudley has got one of the oldest markets in Europe.
Speaker 1: Again, didn't know that that wasn't a creaking doorphin Spirits, that was a creaking door because it's extremely.
Speaker 2: Windy, and obviously saying my one of my favorite barons, John Sutton the sixth, who was the guy I told you about, very good diplomat, awful soldier.
Speaker 3: That was human. And we've got Sir John.
Speaker 2: Dudley, who is the most famous baron. He was Duke of Northumberland and it was his plot that put Lady Jane Gray on the throne of England for nine days.
Speaker 1: Fascinating characters. Fascinating characters. And you've got obviously the dates here. So one of the dates represent do these represent their livesan no nose.
Speaker 2: These actually represent when they took the baronet ten seventy for Alan Scorff to approximately ten eighty. We know by ten eighty six because of the Doomsday book which we are in that his son was in charge of his land.
Speaker 3: So by that time he passed away.
Speaker 2: He's gone twelve thirty five is when Roger took over to twelve seventy two. He was killed in a hunting accident at Pen's Neet.
Speaker 1: Wow Okay, Wolverhampton.
Speaker 3: Pens nature because it was a chase.
Speaker 2: It was the hunting ground for the Barons of Dudley and it's where Elizabeth the First went hunting when she stayed here at the castle in fifteen seventy five.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating.
Speaker 2: And John Sutton longest serving baron, so he was barren from fourteen twenty two to fourteen ninety seven. He was actually born in fourteen o one. He's buried. He was buried at Dudley Priory and he was given quite a big like the Pope gave a two digrace.
Speaker 3: You had to say prayers for him.
Speaker 1: An important god.
Speaker 2: Very important and underrated in English history. And of course John Dudley he was here from fourteen fifteen thirty seven to fifteen fifty three. He was executed in August fifteen fifty three and he basically come the castle out of his cousin as head. He basically arranged a mortgage on the castle. The baron then defaulted on the mortgage and he basically went out, Its mine.
Speaker 1: Now, nice guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but John Dudley is probably our most important baron because he was so he done the Sharrington Range, things like that, He built that. So yeah, he is quite important to Dudley Castle.
Speaker 1: Okay, where are we going to move to? Now?
Speaker 3: I think we go through here.
Speaker 2: This is what we If you visitors have ever been to Dudley Castle and done investigations, that would have been in this room. This was This is the old Zodiac row okay, and now it's we call it the monopoly room. But he has got a fantastic model of what the castle would have looked.
Speaker 1: Like and it is spectacular. I've got to say it is.
Speaker 3: So this is one of the haunted areas of the castle. People often get quite scared in here.
Speaker 2: Especially when it's dark. I will openly say I like being in here on my.
Speaker 1: Own, and this is the room, the backroom that.
Speaker 2: I can manage this room, because I think the problem with this place is you've quite a way away from the doors when you're getting further in. This is part of the Tudor Palace, and a lot of servants would have been marying about in this area, and people have picked up on keys, they've picked up on cold spots, they've also and I'm not a big believer in.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm not a big believer in at all.
Speaker 2: Because you take a picture in here, you'll see thousands of orbs because of the dust. But the one I did really did spout my interest is we were in the corridor and was walking along and there was a light picked up on someone's phone and it was about head hot about this high, halfway three or four feet off, five or six feet off the ground. And I was like, that's interesting, because if that is spirit, it's going to be a little And then I figured it out because in the back wall you'll see the corbels, which is stones which jut out, and it's the floor level.
Speaker 3: So we're actually walking between floors.
Speaker 2: Here, right, Okay, so if we move into the corridor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, there's also some interesting visitors here, isn't there.
Speaker 2: We've got bats, We've got bats, we've got mice, we've got the.
Speaker 3: Rats, wow, black rats. All these things would have been in castles.
Speaker 2: Black rats are our native rat and they are blame for the bubonic play. But it wasn't actually the rats. It was the fleets that were on the rat the course problem. Right, So these the rats would i mean rats would have been on your table in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you'd have had them all through the places.
Speaker 3: Sorry, that's a sound effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do have sund effects. So if you were listening to you're hearing farm animals though you're.
Speaker 2: Actually one female rat can have up to twelve twelve babies every twenty two days twenty three days, so they reckon. For every one yewman, that's about six to seven rats.
Speaker 1: And I'm actually watching these black rats climbing the grill on the ceilings, so they could literally.
Speaker 3: Get everywhere everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the fleas would bite the rat and the rat would die, and the fleet they needed to get another sauce of food. Fair food was blood, so humans nice and warm. The flea would drop dromp onto the human, bite the human, and that's how.
Speaker 3: The plague spreads.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, so it wasn't actually their fault.
Speaker 1: That's a bad rap.
Speaker 2: And these are the corbels.
Speaker 3: So that's the level of the floor, so that.
Speaker 2: All came that way.
Speaker 1: See what you mean about the heights of it.
Speaker 3: Now that's the top of the head.
Speaker 2: That is spirit. It's going to be the top of the head. Like I say, I'm not a big fan, but that one did interest me because it was it went in a direct line. It dust, animals skip about, but this went in a direct loin as if it was walking.
Speaker 1: Towards Yeah, fascinating.
Speaker 3: So we're still here.
Speaker 2: We're still in the tudor a part of the building, and people do get horrible feelings in this part. They do feel sick and things like that. This is this right here we've got Actually, I should point this out.
Speaker 3: This is a.
Speaker 2: Memorial because we've had both Queen Elizabeth's visit. So we have Elizabeth the first the eleventh of August fifteen seventy five, and then Queen Elizabeth the first visited Klarding.
Speaker 3: Elizabeth the Second visited to.
Speaker 1: Us in Jude That is fantastic.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: She actually opened this area when it was the visitor center. So when you get to this archway, you're going to travel back two hundred years without the aid of the Tardars. Because you're going from Tudah to medieval. Wow. So this is where John Dudley got to. This is where his building stops and the medieval building started.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The undercroft, as I said to you earlier, was Prosser, is possibly the oldest surviving room, complete room of the castle. The undercroft where we were before, predates the keeper.
Speaker 1: Wow. I mean this the wall, it sounds be so thick.
Speaker 3: It's huge.
Speaker 2: The thing was those lovely Victorians who did a lot, a lot of damage to places like castles, bashed through walls up here because there was a room locally that there.
Speaker 3: Was treasure being.
Speaker 2: Building ransacks, so they bashed through a lot of the walls, including this one.
Speaker 3: Right okay, So again in.
Speaker 2: Here you're coming through. You're coming through too. And that's that ramp I was telling you about where I saw the.
Speaker 3: Little girl, right okay, So it's not only seen.
Speaker 2: Her here, there was a hooded figure stood in the corner. I've seen that a couple of times. So this is possibly one of the more haunted areas. And we get a lot of mediums picking up on children and children would have been in this area. Servants started here quite young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Okay, so you join us back and where we're going now.
Speaker 3: Just going up to the ramp.
Speaker 1: The back room fantastic.
Speaker 3: So this is the room I really really don't like.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is about this room, but it always gives me the creeps when I'm in there. It's not the nicest rooms.
Speaker 1: Now again, it's bright and it's airy. For someone just walking in here, it's bright, it's airy, it's I don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: With this room.
Speaker 2: I think there's just something about it. I think because of having the little passageway there and he's far away from the doors.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it is. Because if something happened, it'd be.
Speaker 2: Hard to get out, right. Okay, So I've had experiences in this room. I mean children have been I mean ghost grips will tell you. When I used to do the ghost lines, they call me in this room and I wouldn't come in and we're not coming.
Speaker 3: It took a lot for me to come in here.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I'd like say, it's one of those rooms there.
Speaker 1: It's getting to your now, yeah, yeah, I can see it's getting to you, actually getting to do you not like it? I mean quick description of the room. I will take a few photos, but you're talking mark twenty five thirty feet square something like that. It's it is imposing. It's bare stone walls, lots of lots of pictures of animals, lots of information about the animals. But yeah, I can imagine.
Speaker 3: We have to stand them back towards.
Speaker 1: Right, it's really yeah okay, okay, And we've got the bats through.
Speaker 3: There, yeah, we've have.
Speaker 2: But that's the Old Castle gift Shop and that's where I was saying earlier.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of paranormal.
Speaker 2: Activity and poltergeist activity was quite every.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, right, where do you want to move on to? Now we go through the sure yeah, yeah, right, okay, I'm just going to put this on pause and I'll take a quick photo.
Speaker 2: This is going to be really dark. I'm afraid because of our bats.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So this is the Old Castle Shop.
Speaker 2: And like I say, if any of your audience have washed the most Haunted from Dudley Castle from two thousand and three, it was the very first live they actually did came from here. This area was quite prominent in it because Derry Cocoura came in here and I did see the top of her head going down behind some shelves, and he picked up on the name Alice. I've got a mat I'm not big derry Coclera found but that name is relevant to the castle.
Speaker 3: And she was.
Speaker 2: And he also picked up on one of the most famous ghost stories about this area because back in the eighties this the castle was holding a medieval festival and there was a fancy dress There was a fancy dress competition and the lady who won it looked like nobody else. She was in sackcloth, she had sackcloth shoes, dirty.
Speaker 3: Hair, bedraggled.
Speaker 2: They went to give the prize to her and she disappeared and nobody could find her. There was security on the gates, nobody had left, so they didn't know where she was. And then Derrik Kora picked up on this spirit who literally said, I'm glad I won the prize.
Speaker 1: So, but.
Speaker 2: The skeptic in missays did he do a little bit of fishing on the internet because that is one of the most prominentes of the castle, or did he actually pick up on that, But he did give the name Alice, and not a lot of people because she was a baroness here, but she was married into the family and with the barons, the baronesses, A lot of people wouldn't go back that far. Roger the second whose busts down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was his mum. I mean it's a bit of a strange room, very atmospheric.
Speaker 2: The things with this this room now, because it's the back room, it is quite imposing because it's dark.
Speaker 3: When it was the castle shop, it was quite light and area.
Speaker 2: It was a massive room and you'd have all stock here stopped, get moved about, right, okay, one hundred percent. And staff did have experiences in here. Yeah, you know, people who saw things. People witnessed the keychain wracking going across the built from are here, come out there and cross there.
Speaker 1: So how long has this been here?
Speaker 3: The bats? Yeah, twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Forty and then the shop was obviously moved to its.
Speaker 2: The shop was moved, the shop disbanded and moved out so we could put the bats.
Speaker 1: In, right, should we move on?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where are we going to go to now?
Speaker 3: I think we'll go down to the cottage and the waters.
Speaker 1: Are okay, right, okay, So we are back outside now, and where are we are?
Speaker 2: We're at the main gateway. Now, this is the triple gate. Okay, this is a mishmash of time, right, okay. And I said to earlier about archaeologists have a special work called features, So when the colleagues arelaging something, it's the feature. And this gateway is actually full of features. So the two inner walls, I believe it or not, are older than the two gateways.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So at one point this had six defenses to it. So you had you draw you had your motor obviously said, then you draw bridge, then you had behind the drawbridge was a pity. So our drawbridge was strange because if all you're up and only it was one that you could take literally lift up and take away right okay, okay, but it would cover the pit. So if you were inviting people in, yeah, they could come over the pit.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then you've got your pork coullis backed up by two big og doors and the same where we.
Speaker 3: Stood just here.
Speaker 2: But this this gateway, there's two outer walls are actually older than the two pork cullis gates, right, so they remains of possibly the second castle. I mean, if you have a look, we've also got these walls here which are probably where they started to rebuild and then thought, now we'll do it a different.
Speaker 3: Way, right okay, and left it.
Speaker 2: And then in the roof you can't see no, because of this scaffolding. There is the remains of the pork cullis. But another interesting one is this doorway here, and we don't know what that's for.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, stepping back a little bit, I noticed this, and I think this was what you were saying about the the one this one defense that may have this one defense that may have come down here. That's the poor cullige that would have been the location of the No.
Speaker 3: The murder hole is it actually in the middle.
Speaker 1: So you were trapped between there and there?
Speaker 2: Okay, So what if you were not an invited guests from you fight your way up the hill, get to here, and that bridge would be wide open. Poor Coullie would be white, wide open. As soon as you made a place for that courtyard that would drop and then you turned run.
Speaker 1: Back and they're going to.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're literally trapped in here like rats in a trap, and say, we don't know what this is for.
Speaker 3: It's where.
Speaker 2: The remains of a doorway, or it could be what they called a porter's window. So you could literally the gatekeeper wild bee to the side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he could literally look through there and see who using the gateway. Right, Okay, but we're not one hundred percent sure.
Speaker 2: And that's the old thing with Dudley Castle, and it's one of the reasons I think people should visit.
Speaker 3: It is a mishmash of toyme.
Speaker 2: You go from Norman to medieval to Tudor to the Civil War.
Speaker 3: It's just amazing.
Speaker 1: Again just looking at those four figures in the well. I can't remember the name of the room that we were in.
Speaker 3: The vestible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you say, the span of time that that that that goes over and this is so atmospheric, this is amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, the triple gateway unfortunately was part of the slighting. But upstairs where we see now there was probably a platform like a balcony with what they're called miulations in so there would be holes so you could drop things through. As you walked in, they'd be dropping things on you. And the drawbridge. When we did the archaeology digs, we didn't actually know where the point of the drawer, the plant for the drawbridge where we came down to, but we found it and it was just there where the elephant statue is.
Speaker 3: And I said about the tunnel.
Speaker 2: Tunnel runs under here, all right, okay, so it runs between these.
Speaker 3: These two were barbecane terrors.
Speaker 2: So there are big, big reund terrors that would stretch right the way up possibly to where the stoney is just up there, and maybe you'd fill in with your archers.
Speaker 3: And one of the brilliant.
Speaker 2: Features if we just go here, and if you get a photo of it to show your listeners, this is an arrow slit. You remember I said the ground had been raised up right, they ain't gonna shoot at your ankles.
Speaker 1: How deep are we talking about?
Speaker 3: One hundred and fifty four we reckon over the years? One hundred and fifty feet, Yeah, over the years.
Speaker 2: It can see the steps that would have gone up and these would have been filled with your archers to protect your gate.
Speaker 1: That's astonishing, that's astonishing. Yeah, we'll get some photos of that in a sex that is I cannot believe how as you say, yeah, you're not going to have an archer that's firing out that so.
Speaker 3: Fifty feet roughly one hundred and fifty feet. So we're going to head down now to the cottage.
Speaker 2: Because the cottage has one of the more macarb stories to it and a lot of people will know about the cottage. And then we've got the Wards Arch, which is where the drummer was shot.
Speaker 1: And again we still don't know who fired that shot.
Speaker 2: No, we don't know if it was someone on our side, twitchy fingers, someone on our side, Yeah, playing daylight and just fired or didn't.
Speaker 3: Hear the drum, because the drum would have called.
Speaker 1: For a truce, and someone ignored it, and.
Speaker 2: Someone totally ignored it and just fired. But the guy was shot with probably the worst weapon ever invented, which was the muskit, so inaccurate, and he was felled by that at that distance.
Speaker 1: So we're walking past the reptiles, past our little friends to make cats, and again you kind of get a sense when you do come here to visit, you kind of get a centers you're walking up this section and just how imposing all of this would have been. You've got the cannons sat at the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the cannons are actually Russian right from the Sebastival siege during the Crimean War.
Speaker 3: The then Earl of.
Speaker 2: Dudley was actually a great supporter of that war. Sent it sent ships out with food and clothing for the troops, and then of course he as a reward, Queen Victoria was like eager mate, have two cannons, because there was four hundred cannons. Of those the naval cannons that were taken during that battle, to most of them, some of them are giving out the places like Dudley Castle, Ludlow as a sort of thank you for your support of the war, and the rest were melted down and made the Victoria Cross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay. What's the history of this pos.
Speaker 2: The cottage where a lot of people claim it's Victorian, it isn't. Actually it goes back way after before. Because we have got the first print of Dudley Castle from the sixteen nineties and the cottage is actually on it. But it's not a cottage at the time. It's a barn and it's actually part of two. It was in an L shape and if you look the world, so the second cottage would have run straight down. The cottage became home to the castle groundskeepers after the castle was left in seventeen fifty and a family came to Dudley.
Speaker 3: This is local legend.
Speaker 2: I suppose a family came to Dudley with two daughters, and the daughter the one daughter got married, got pregnant out of wedlock. Now even in the eighteen hundred reiving Dudley did they do that. When her father found out, he didn't like throw her out or anything. He simply dragged her into the brick bath house to the side and slit her throat and she was murdered. People often report quite a negative feeling in there, and she has been seen in the bathroom area rocking backwards and forwards. The guy apparently, again this is local legend, went and hung yourself up in the foot top room, and people have seen the image of a bald man in that area, guising out quite an angry looking man. The image apparently has been photographed. I've never ever found the photograph. Now you can said to me, well, come off it. That's you could be staff in there. The actual cottage was only restored in twenty thirteen. Top floor actually collapsed in the mid eighteen hundreds. In the mid nineteen eighties, sorry, and for thirty years it was just a derelict builded.
Speaker 1: I mean, you would not guess that that kind of trauma has took place in this, I will take a photo of this. It just looks like an absolutely lovely little country cottage.
Speaker 2: But that image of that man who was seen also the nineteen eighties, nineteen nineties.
Speaker 3: And early two thousands, right, so.
Speaker 2: There was no way that because like side, the floor collapsed and it was only readone in twenty thirty. This is now home to our curators and bosses of the Zero. So if you do come to the zoo and see an angry looking bold man, that's probably in.
Speaker 3: Boss to be fair.
Speaker 2: But like I said, the cottages, I mean the cottage is mentioned in Eli.
Speaker 3: Blew It's book.
Speaker 2: He was the first to describe the Black Country as the Black Country. Eli Blue wrote the book in the eighteen hundreds. He was an American travel writer basically very well known in America, and he visited Dudley Castle and he mentions the cottage and to our people living in the cottage with their daughter who were the grains keepers, they made him tea before taking him up to the castle. And to have that sort of that it's mentioned is amazing when you're doing We call Thiset's cottage because this is where Harry Hatch lived the first yeah, the first yeah, and the cheeta would have been buried over the area. Yes, so we we call it hatchet this corner because it's quite a steep corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we call it Hatchets corner.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. So this is where that cheeta would have a.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he exercised it all through.
Speaker 2: He used to bring it over dignitaries to stroke and stuff like that. But he raised many animals. You can see all the buildings, but he would have raised many animals in this.
Speaker 1: Stunning, absolutely fantastic right where we are to.
Speaker 2: Next we'll get to the wardens unlest do you want to see the entrance to a tunnel?
Speaker 1: Oh, that would be fantastic.
Speaker 2: So not many people get to see this, so it is one of the off rock area.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a beautiful cottage.
Speaker 3: I love it. I won't want to live there, definitely wouldn't want to leave.
Speaker 1: In it. But yeah, again it just looks like your little typical, beautiful English country cottage, the nice pumpkins outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're getting ready for Halloween obviously, But just up here one of the secret areas, I suppose it's is the entrance to the tunnel.
Speaker 1: And is this where is this where Richard, which so roughly, how far are you thinking that this was would stretch?
Speaker 2: It's originally would have stretched right over to the little round.
Speaker 3: East Watch.
Speaker 2: Was a calas about halfway through when they put the steps in fantasy and local legend say is that.
Speaker 3: Worker was killed underneath?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay, So whether that was true, I don't know, but that was the local legend.
Speaker 1: That's brilliant. Thank you so much for showing me that that is right. We're sat on a bench now, and where are.
Speaker 2: We We're outside the Warden's arch, or some people might have hearded this as the drummer boy arch. Try right, As they explained earlier, drummer boys didn't really exist.
Speaker 3: They were trusted soldiers. They were men.
Speaker 2: They were giving a message and beating the drums should have come for a seasfire between two posing sides.
Speaker 3: So his or their story, because there was two.
Speaker 2: Their story connects with the Gray Lady story because they were bringing the message up about her funeral. I'll just explain about the arch itself. This arch was only put on because of Queen Elizabeth. The first it was to make her entry into the castle look a little bit grander.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they built all of this for.
Speaker 2: That, yeah, just for that, just to make her the thing was the Earl of Dudley, the Baron of Dudley at the time, got winded. She was staying here, coming here, right, and the castle was in at that time a bit of a state of disrepair. So just to make it look a little bit nicer, if put on this new archway, right, okay. And when she came she was look at the archway, built it off for you, and she was like, yeah, look at your castle on off. And she literally stayed one night and theft. But she probably was diverted here because there was an outbreak. She was on her progress and there was an outbreak of small pox. So she was probably diverted here because of this outbreak.
Speaker 3: Of small pox.
Speaker 2: But the arch where it has so many legends attached to it, people have often seen woody figures coming through. This would have been the main entry into the castle. So as I said to you, the monks from the priory, which were clooney at monks and black robed months, would have been here daily.
Speaker 3: They had come to take the church services.
Speaker 2: They have also come up here as well to teach the children of the baron.
Speaker 1: So again there was a close, close relationship.
Speaker 3: Very close, and I mean the stone.
Speaker 2: You can see how much Sterney's here, So that stone type theory of them coming dially.
Speaker 3: You know, but the main gat story around the art is that of the DRUMA.
Speaker 1: You also mentioned that the stone that built the cottage would come from.
Speaker 3: The two from the two parts of it would have come from the two ruined terrors of the key.
Speaker 1: So again they've wasted nothing, no a even back then, should we move on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll go to the little east what it's called the East watch Tower. And this is a little watch tower, and this is where the tramp because that tunnel you've just seen, the tunnel you used to it's actually this as well. Should point out was possibly the plague burial.
Speaker 1: Pits right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because places like Dudley Castle relied on bringing things in.
Speaker 3: We're not although we're look close to the canals.
Speaker 2: People would have come and brought their wares and things. They didn't want to stop that so when the plague happened, you don't want people knowing that you've got the plague, right, Okay, So this was probably where they're buried. A bitter lame with Chalcolme on them bodies of God.
Speaker 1: So again you dig down, yeah deep here you are.
Speaker 3: Well we've been when they did the archaeology digs. They were told not to dig.
Speaker 1: Too right okay, And again you've got some amazing views from here.
Speaker 2: Well, from the top of the keep and that's the top of there, you can see thirty miles in all directions. Now, when you get to the top of Dudley Castle, keep your next highest point to land if your head west is in Rush.
Speaker 3: Out of the Urals.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So you're at one of the highest points, not only in England but in Europe.
Speaker 1: Again, that answers my question when I was saying about driving up, Yeah, how far you can? I mean I'm looking out here.
Speaker 2: And Dudley Castle was close to the Welsh Marshes. That was what John Dudley really wanted the castle for, even though it was the fact ancestral barony. Hope, it's close to the Welsh Marshes. If Edward the Six had beencome and have lived, yeah, took over a pairis on all on his own. He's plan was to retire here constable at the Welsh Marshes, right, okay, because it's I mean that's why Dudley Castle was built. He was part of that chain to sort of protect from the Welsh invasions. And I said to you earlier, if one of those invasions by Glynn Williams had have worked, Dudley Castle would have been a Welsh castle.
Speaker 1: Wow. Again we spoke about that little twist and turn of fact, yes, that would have put an entire difference picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is the little watchtower, so he would he would have literally set.
Speaker 1: Up little business.
Speaker 2: He's in there, a little cobbling business, and he would come and go through the tunnel, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And he would have traveled down into the town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, picked up his shoes, mended and brought him back.
Speaker 3: That's mended.
Speaker 2: But whether he was part of this coin foraging gang of the discussion. So we were proutching the keep and the cobbles that were walking on they were putting.
Speaker 3: In the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: We did have a wet moat, so the wet moat would have come in and surrendered the keep, so the keep looked like an island. And the best example can give you is to look at Nunning Castle in Somerset. That castle used our castle as a sort of print. So the keep is the third one, as I said earlier, to be on site, possibly the third one.
Speaker 1: It's a formidable building, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the walls are about eight nine meters thick. Wow, you can see.
Speaker 2: I mean anyone who's visited here, the keep is iconic. It's what you think of Dudley, you think of that building. And it would of host originally in the modern bailey, the Wooden Castle. Quite possibly a score of Leaver would have lived here. We know there was a manor house, so the majority of the family would have lived. The baron and his main family would have lived in the manor house, and the constable of the castle, who was in charge when the baron wasn't here, would have lived in the.
Speaker 1: It's the engineering as well. It's where you quarry this amount of stone salmon here.
Speaker 2: The stone is from your local baggage stone would have been used as.
Speaker 1: Well, baggage Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Most of the zone is like I say, the much Lane Wenlock series, and he's from Silurian period, so before even before the castle, thousands and millions of years ago, Dudley was wall. This has been filmed over thousands millions of years.
Speaker 1: Again, fascinating and you do.
Speaker 2: Have around If you look at some of the stone, there is fossils in the stones.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, they say a lot of the limestone that a lot of the banks and stuff were built from. If you look closer, you can.
Speaker 2: See you can see fossils in the stones. And Dudley Castle is well known for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's well known.
Speaker 2: We have the Dudley Book of you say, the Trial of Ice, all right, and there is some fossils that are here on side, especially in the cabin behind the chair lift, that you don't find anywhere else in the world.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, So as you can probably hear, there's a lot of wind. It's very windy. You might hear the there's a clanging noise. We're over the a little bit over the other side from that, and that is the flag that's flapping like an absolute lunatic at the moment. So we're up at the top of the keep. It's really windy. Oh yeah, iconic.
Speaker 3: Icony and like that.
Speaker 2: You can see thirty miles in all directions from the top and the next highest point to land in Europe is the Ural Mountains in Russia.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. So this is the scene of one of the most famous ghost sightings, isn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah the top of the Keepe the law people have often seen and these people in the town as well, And in nineteen ninety eight or eighty seven it was reported in a newspart in the Expression Star that people at the event saw a hooded figure walking across the top of the law the top of the walk where I should say, yeah, and who who this is?
Speaker 3: We don't We don't really know. We've got an idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, megay.
Speaker 2: In the in the thirteen fourteen hundreds as a woman apparently living in one.
Speaker 3: Of the houses on site.
Speaker 2: Now Dudley Castle has got lots of little round houses. You'll see one next to the gift shop where you came in and living in there, and people believe she was a witch and it said there's some teenagers Kate broke in on site, took her to the top of the keep and threw her off or hunger over it as because she was a witch. The other story is they broke in, went to the top of the keep and found her about to fly off to the sabbath or whatever, and they hunger from the top. So this is who this sudden figure is supposed to be.
Speaker 1: We're looking down from the top of the keeper onto the cannons, the iconic cannons that you can see from.
Speaker 2: Miles miles And recently we've discovered these guys are naval cannons.
Speaker 3: And they would have been used on a Russian.
Speaker 2: Naval a naval ship, and they were taken during the Battle of Sebastable. Each one has got a number. Unfortunately, the one on my left hand side, Yeah, that one we can't meet because of the weather and the disintegrated we can't make out the number, but we can on the right one.
Speaker 3: And he proved that they were They were forged just south of peters and Petersburg. Wow, so all the way from Russia to Dudley to.
Speaker 1: Beg windy up here. We better get back down. Okay, okay, we're down from the castle keep. And where are we going to to finish Well, we're.
Speaker 2: Going to finish off in the Gray Lady tavern or courtyard cafe today now, no, but as we're walking down the pathway here is one of the most famous sightings of the Gray Line.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, so back in the nineteen nineties early two thousands, there used to be the Dudley ghost talk that went round Dudley and people had jumped out.
Speaker 3: At you telling you.
Speaker 2: Different ghost stories, and there be people dressed up dumping out and they used to come up here. We had someone dressed as the Gray Lady. He up here and as they walk up, gray Lady appears and one of the members on this particular walk, Oh, that's very interesting.
Speaker 3: But who's the lady behind?
Speaker 2: And there was a lady up here, so we think there might be a sighting of the Gray Lady.
Speaker 1: And it was from here as well that I'm looking over. I'm assuming that one of the this was maybe where the photo was taken around.
Speaker 2: You see the big gray window, it's the doorway next to it on the left, and that's where, Yeah, she was taking photos from the top of the key, just you do.
Speaker 3: Got home, went to a husband.
Speaker 2: There's a lighting in one of them rooms and he goes, Dubby, daft, there's no roof, there can there be a light on? And then they decided to prove it up on the computer, drew it in.
Speaker 3: Dropped it down to the doorway and the figure was in the doorway.
Speaker 1: I mean, I find that even more fascinating that they've got no idea what their photographed at the time.
Speaker 2: We always say on ghost nights, a good ghost group will say, I never took one photo. Always take a burst of photographs because what you pick up in one, you may not pick up in the others. And that's interesting then. So they're just approaching the Gray Lady what they used to call the Gray Lady Tavern. It was named after the Gray Lady because most of us sightings.
Speaker 3: Were in this area.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the Gray Lady Tavern or now caught your calf is actually the last building built on site. It was built in sixteen ninety and it was actually a stabling block.
Speaker 3: For horses. Guess what's been heard in there?
Speaker 1: Horses and people have actually heard them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard the feet, the hoofs, and also heard the name sounding there. But it's it was basically this building was built just to fill a gap because it would have been the original war walk up to the castle.
Speaker 3: So obviously where we're standing we be drowned in now because we're in the moat.
Speaker 2: So, like I say, it was put in just to fill the gap left by the slighting in around sixteen ninety, Earl of the Baron of Dudley then did fill in bits here and there, possibly rebuilding parts and walls and things like that. The stoney is from the terrors and the two towers that were ruined. But there's been a lot of hauntings in here that people have and I mean staff, I mean one of my favorites is one of the members of staff was actually working in here cleaning up, put all the tables, all the chairs on top of the tables to mop the floor.
Speaker 3: Went to get the mop bucket come.
Speaker 2: Out on all the chairs were back on the floor. So yeah, So this area has a history of sightings and things like the paranormal things happening if you do a ghost night and up here this is one of the areas. It's very good for your things like weiboards, right okay, and it is intelligent. I'm not a big fan of reagibles, I'll be honest, because I think you've got unconscious movements.
Speaker 1: Motor response.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got.
Speaker 2: Like I said, you've got unconscious movements, but things that have been up in here of intelligent things and things that maybe your Ordrey ghost hunting visitor I won't actually know. So why would that pushing yeah to there.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got to say thank you so much, not a problem for taking up literally all of your day, and I've just got to say that this was supposed to be Amy's day off as well, so we have dragged hiing to do this. Thank you so much, Amy.
Speaker 3: Anytime you want to come back in welcome.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. Please come and visit Dudley Castle and we look forward to you listening to this episode. Thank you again, Amy, not a problem. And that brings us to the end of Part three and the conclusion of my visit to Dudley Castle. A huge thank you to Amy for all of her time, knowledge and generosity throughout this series. I'd also like to thank all of the staff and management to Dudley Castle and Zoological Gardens for a com a dating me last September and for making me feel so welcome during my visit. If you've never been, I'd highly recommend paying a visit, whether it's for the history, the wildlife, the atmosphere, or the stories that still echo throughout the grounds. Thank you once again for tuning in, and until next time, stay safe and take care.
Speaker 4: Prompting Apple at apiating paper data gaps are the tempting printing, APOPT and empappy printing data data type I. The retracting at a pattern is a graphic printing a channel