Speaker 1: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 2: That's right, this is your wake up call for Labor Day, September second. I'm Heather Brooker in for Amy King. Good morning everyone, and good morning to Anne and Kono. We are all here working hard for you on this Labor Day. They don't call it the twenty four hour Newsroom for nothing, guys. They never let us leave. All right, let's jump right in. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. The Phone Free Schools Act requires all public schools to create a policy to limit or prohibit smartphones during the school day. We're going to tell you how cell phones impact students' mental health and how you can support your kids of a cell phone band in schools is approved statewide. And even though it's only September second, Halloween is just around the that means Halloween Horton Night starts this week. We'll tell you what's new this year and what classics are coming back with a twist, and the unofficial kickoff of Awards Season in Hollywood starts on Sunday, the seventy fifth Emmy Awards will return with some familiar favorites and new faces.
Speaker 3: On your TV.
Speaker 2: We're gonna tell you what you need to binge watch this week in order to catch up. Then, at six p'o oh five, it's handle on the news. President Biden and Vice President Harris planned to meet the Israeli hostage negotiation team.
Speaker 3: In the Situation Room today.
Speaker 2: This comes after the murder of six hostages, including an American citizen, by Hamas. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Culover City police are trying to find a woman in her sixties who tried to rob another woman outside of Wells Fargo Bank. The bank customers using the ATM on Green Valley Circle Saturday when the older woman walked up from behind and threatened to shoot her if she didn't put money in the bag. The customer ran inside the bank. It would be robber followed her but then took off. The woman is black with medium billed and reddish orange curly hair. She was wearing a light blue tank top, shorts, sunglasses, and carrying a purse or bag. Researchers that UC Irvine have identified several health impacts from repeated wildfires and smoke exposure in Riverside County.
Speaker 4: The study focused on one hundred and eighteen families in four areas of eastern Coachella Valley. Researchers found breathing problems, iye irritations, and sinus problems to be common, especially among seniors, children, and people with pre existing conditions. The study also found that persistent smoke, extreme heat, children unable to go outside, and working under such conditions resulted in continuous stress, anxiety, and fear. Researchers say the goals to inform policy makers on how low income communities can better respond to wildfire threats.
Speaker 3: Corbin Carson k if I.
Speaker 2: News Murder and other charges have been filed in LA against a man accused of killing a woman and her daughter in an alcohol related head on crash. It happened just after one in the afternoon on August seventeenth in Temple City. Jennifer Argueta and her ten year old daughter, Sabrina, were passengers in the car that was hit. More human remains have been found in Redlands under the home of a man arrested for the murder of two of his neighbors at a newdest resort. Redlands Police spokesman Carl Baker said Friday, Michael Sparks was arrested in connection with the disappearance of Dan and Stephanie Menard.
Speaker 3: We have information to make us believe that they're deceased.
Speaker 2: Police have spent days searching the home with cadaver dogs. The remains were found in bags that were at a concrete bunker underneath sparks home. President Biden and Vice President Harris are set to do some campaigning for Harris at a Labor Day parade in Pittsburgh. Harris's campaign has said voters in Pennsylvania are newly energized since Harris moved to the top of the ticket, and that tens of thousands of new volunteers have signed up to canvas for her with just over two months until election day. The Phone Free Schools Act and by partisan bill that requires all public schools to divide a policy by July first, twenty twenty six to limit or prohibit smartphones during the school day. It would force distracted, smartphone obsessed kids to do something many haven't been willing to do on their own.
Speaker 3: And that's put their phones away in class.
Speaker 2: The legislation is expected to be signed by Governor Newsom, making California the fifth state in the nation to require school districts to limit students' phone usage. And joining me now to talk about the impact cell phone use has on kids is the parentologist doctor Kim van Dusen, a child therapist and author.
Speaker 3: Hi Kim, thanks for joining me.
Speaker 5: Hi, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: So let's dive right into this. I am fascinated with this topic as a parent of a preteen who desperately wants to be on her phone all the time. What kind of impact are we talking about here on kids' mental health when they are on their phone in class.
Speaker 6: Kids can go six hours throughout the day not on their cell phone. If they want to, they can check their text messages or whatnot in between classes, at lunchtime, or just wait until after school. If there's an emergency, the school can call the parent, or the parent can call the school. There's really no reason for them to have it in class, and it's causing a detriment to their mental health. It is causing low academic performance, It's causing more depression and anxiety. Worse sleep habits and worse. Yet, this is the thing that just blows my mind is that cell phone use creates a dopamine release in our brains that cause a chemical reaction similar to drugs. So it's easy to have those withdrawal symptoms when you detox from it. And that's why every time they get a hit on social media and a like on their posts, or they get any text message notification that pops up on their phone, they get that dopamine brush and they become addicted to it, and that's frightening.
Speaker 2: What do you think is going to be the best solution in this case? Is it simply just across the board, just don't bring your phone to school. Is there a solution here that can kind of make everybody happy.
Speaker 6: This is a tough one because I see different sides of the situation. First, there is a lot of things that happen in the school setting that can be very frightening. Obviously, we've heard about school shootings over the years, and I think a lot of parents are scared that if the child doesn't have their phone with them and there is an emergency on campus and that child needs that phone, it's going to be very difficult for them to get it out of their pouch, or if they don't have it at all, that's going to you know, cause a stir amongst parents thinking they could have maybe saved their child's life if they had their phone.
Speaker 5: So I get that.
Speaker 3: Side of it.
Speaker 6: I also obviously get the mental health side of it, where it's you know, like I said, a detriment to their school setting. So when kids are in class and they're constantly on their cell phone, they're obviously not paying attention to instruction. Their grades are you know, lowering, their attention span is lowering, and they're more exposed to things like cyberbullying, to porn, and to inappropriate content that is not age appropriate. Despite the things that are in place that the schools say, you know, we have limits and boundaries and things on these you know, cell phones and iPads and different devices, but kids are very intel and if they want to find something, they will find that loophole.
Speaker 5: And they will find that content if they really want to.
Speaker 2: What is something that parents can do when they're coming up against their teen who is saying or their tween who is saying, But everybody's got their phone, how will I stay connected? With my friends like, you can't do this, this isn't fair. We've all had these types of conversations with our kids, and it's hard to kind of stay strong in that situation. What do you say to parents in those situations who want to do the right thing but are up against a very strong, willed teen.
Speaker 5: And I get it too.
Speaker 6: My daughter is ten years old and she's on that cusp as well of tweenhood, and she's already had conversations with me about wanting a phone and talking about some of her friends that already have a phone and whatnot. So first and foremost, I think it's the parents' responsibility to set limits and boundaries with their children when it comes to cell phone use. So if they want to get at one of those safe phones that you can only text and call, I think that's great. And try to keep off social media and all the other apps and have free rates of things like.
Speaker 5: YouTube and Google and all those.
Speaker 6: Websites that can be very educational and helpful in many ways and also used for entertainment purposes. And you know, after a long stressful day, you can go on there and scroll and you know, have fun with your friends and the conversation and whatnot. And I think that's important too, because there are a lot of social skills that can be learned, a lot of communication skills that can be learned on you know, through a cell phone, you know, use. But I do think first of all, parents need to be more cognizant of what kind of phones they provide their children, and then also what access they have to certain apps and things like that, and how much supervision they're actually watching their children and what content they're absorbing.
Speaker 5: On these apps and things like that.
Speaker 6: So you know, if they could parent can hold off and not buy their cell phone for as long as possible.
Speaker 5: I say, try that as much as you can.
Speaker 6: But if your child is going to have a cell phone, you know, maybe make it one of those safe phones for a while, you know, get them used to it, you know, make sure they're responsible enough to handle it, and then maybe gradually get into more apps and having more access to things, and then having limits at home as well, you know, not having a cell phone at day our table, not having it between the hours of ten pm and seven am, and just making it part of the family's culture that that's just the expectation and the sooner you start that expectation and that precedence in the home, the bet it'll be so you won't have that child coming to you at ten, eleven, twelve years old saying everyone has one but me, and there's not that sense of urgency because they've already had that culture and those values set at a younger age and so they won't be fighting it and having that power struggle as much.
Speaker 2: I think it's also too about parents wrapping their head around it being a drug and it's a bad thing. It is something our kids are easily addicted to, and you wouldn't just openly say, okay, you can have your cocaine exactly, you know, like during certain hours of the day. Like it's just it's a mindset that we have to be in and we certainly wouldn't accept it if they were pushing back, going but mom, everybody's doing this strug, why can't I do it too? So I think it's a mindset if we just remind ourselves to stay strong.
Speaker 6: Now, you know, they can take their cell phones and where, and that's I think part of the problem is that it's that instant gratifications, that instant access to everything.
Speaker 5: It's like Vegas.
Speaker 6: It's always open, there's always something new to scroll, there's always something new to read, or a new post of you know, someone new to follow, and it's never ending. So you have to set those limits and be okay with it and accept those because if not, it can get pretty out of control pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Well, I know this information has been really helpful for me, and I hope it has been for everyone who's listening as well. You can find out more information about doctor Kim and her work the parentologists dot com and also on her weekly podcast, Doctor Kim.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. So Cal Edison has cut power to one hundred and forty homes in Rancho Pallyspirdies following a spot fire caused by land movement. The power was shut off at noon yesterday, and so Cal Edison spokesperson Gabrielle or Nilis says electricity had to be shut off along Portuguese Bend to keep everyone see.
Speaker 7: We've been working to mitigate the effects of the situation as quickly as we can. However, there have been instances where we're unable to foresee the impacts.
Speaker 2: Another one hundred and five homes are set to lose power today. Residents had the gas shut off a week ago, and some people say they refuse to leave their homes despite evacuation warnings. DirecTV customers have lost ESPN and Disney Entertainment channels because the sides have been unable to reach a new carriage agreement. The Disney channels and ESPN went off yesterday as ESPN was airing the US Open Tennis tournament on DirecTV. ABC owned stations in La San Francisco and other major cities also went off DirecTV, which has more than eleven million subscribers. Crews in Riverside County are working on a fast moving, wind driven wildfire that has sent several firefighters to the hospital and has burned six hundred and fifty acres. Evacuation warnings remain in place for the Poppet Flats area, a community a mile south of the Silent Club RV resort. Power is off at one hundred and forty homes in Rancho Palace Verties. So Cal Edison officials are urging residents to be ready to evacuate at a moment's notice due to a landslide crisis, and for the second weekend in a row, Deadpool and Wolverine topped the box office. Marvel's smash hit shattered records and became the best selling R rated movie of all time. And embarrassingly, I still have not seen it yet. Woo, I'm behind.
Speaker 3: Need to get on it.
Speaker 2: Then in six oh five, it's handle on the news. Governor Newsom is calling for a special session to find ways to cut gas prices. Californians pay the highest rates at the pump in the nation. It's September and Halloween fans know that means it's already time to start celebrating spooky season. Joining me now to give us a special preview of Halloween Horror Nights, Now in its eighteenth year at Universal Studios Hollywood, is creative director and executive producer John Murdy.
Speaker 3: I know this is probably like.
Speaker 2: An insanely busy time of year for you, so I appreciate you making the time to talk with me. This is one of my favorite events every year. I used to be a tour guide in Universal Studios. I will you too, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: I started as a tour guide.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: What are some of the new things that are coming this year? I understand there's going to be something really cool based off the Insidious franchise.
Speaker 3: Tell me about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Insidious had a new movie that came out last year called Insidious. The Red Door did extremely well. So we're bringing the Insidious franchise back to Halloween Horror Nights. I guess the big changes there's the Further in the Insidious, which is that dark nether world between the living and the dead. We decided this time that you're just going to be in the Further the whole time. And the entry statement for Insidious is the Red Faced Demon's Lair, which is something we've never done before.
Speaker 2: I'm already terrified just hearing the description. Then we got to talk about we're bringing back some really cool stuff too from the eighties. Let's talk about this late night talk show with Chucky. What is that all about?
Speaker 8: Chuck, he's had a presence of Halloween Horror Nights many times over the years in many different ways. Now he's hijacked a late night talk show, so he basically has his own talk show. He's going to be you know, you're going to be able to text Chucky in the pre show the questions that you want him to answer, and you know you should be careful when you do that because you know Chucky has a short fuse might not end well for you.
Speaker 2: That's so fun. I love that. What a great idea. I want to talk about how you come up with ideas because I imagine because this is such a popular event, it sells out so much. Almost every year it's sold out, what are you doing and how are you generating new ideas to keep pushing the envelope further to keep people coming back.
Speaker 8: I think we evolve as the genre of horror evolves. You know, if you look at just the last ten years in the horror genre, it's expanded so much, and a lot of that's due to just all of the content that's out there now with the rise of streaming, but horror as the genre has expanded to encompass all kinds of different things. So we're just trying to keep pace with it.
Speaker 2: I want to talk a little bit too about you know, because this is such a popular event and it sells out, there are lines, massive lines. Sometimes people say they're waiting for, you know, an hour, two hours to get in. What kinds of things can they do to mitigate those weights in lines? And what kinds of things is Universal doing to help kind of lower the weight times.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we sell a product where you can arrive early and we open half the houses earlier in the day so you can get a jump start on it. That's one of the best ways to do it.
Speaker 2: I also want to talk a little bit, and I don't know if you have your hand in this part of it at all, but the food. There are some pretty awesome themed food. Do you work with the other teams, the food and beverage teams to kind of come up with foods that are aligned with the houses.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we meet with that team early on and we do a whole presentation explaining all of the different properties we're going to be working with and themes we're going to be working with this year.
Speaker 2: Just naming off a few of these, the wooden Board, Eclaire Abbot's corn Chowder. Just some like fun name, fun theme too, Like I.
Speaker 8: Like that we have a Texas chainsaw massacre barbecue that always cracks me up because they're cannibals, you know, right. It's very popular. People seem to love it, Oh.
Speaker 2: For sure, for sure. Let's talk about some of the returning favorites that are going to be coming back. You know, are we going to see more scary clowns with chainsaws? Anybody?
Speaker 8: Any very punks with chainsaws? Okay, all right, our chainsaw Troop. That's always how we set the tone for horror nights. The minute you walk through the turnstiles, the first thing you encounter is our entire main street that you take into the park is lined with our chainsaw Brigade. And we always have a new theme form. So this time we're kind of going back to the mid nineteen seventies, kind of the first wave of punk rock, using all the fashions that came out of New York and London, and we have the chainsaw punks, so they're all punk inspire chainsaw performers.
Speaker 2: What do you think is going to be the most popular attraction this year? What's everybody going to be talking about.
Speaker 8: It's always hard to predict until we're actually open and then you see what the guests gravitate towards. I would expect A Quiet Place will be very popular because it's such a beloved and successful film franchise and just the scale and scope of it is so large. It's such a special effects heavy house. I think people are going to want to check that out.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 8: The Latin American content that we've been producing in this park for the last decade, it has just gotten more and more popular with our guests over the years. This year, we're doing a sequel to a house we did last year called monstros and that has become a fan favorite over time. It's not only the properties we feature, but it's the originals that well that our fans really dig. Ghostbusters is a franchise that's been around for a long time, and of course there was the new movie Frozen Empire this year, so we're doing a house based on Frozen Empire.
Speaker 2: If people will walk out of your mazes and they have this like terrified look on your face, are you like I have done my job well? Makes you feel like I have done it right?
Speaker 8: You know this is going to sound strange, but it's laughter. Oh well, what happens with people? Because oftentimes I'll park myself at the exit of a haunted house and I'll just you know, I'll just watch people coming out. It's the best way to judge how they enjoyed the experience. They come out that way with this terrified look on their face. They might even be screaming, but it quickly transitions into laughter. And that's this nervous release of energy that takes place after going through a haunted house.
Speaker 2: My husband and I look forward to it every year. You do, you and your team, you guys do such an amazing job, So we want to remind everybody. Halloween Horror Night's kicks off September fifth at Universal Studios, Hollywood. John Murdy, thank you so much for your time and good luck this year. We can't wait to see what you've come up with.
Speaker 8: Thanks my pleasure.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. In California. Edison has cut power to one hundred forty homes in Rancho Pallet's verties because of accelerated land movement, and another one hundred might lose power today.
Speaker 10: People living along Portuguese Bend were given twenty four hours notice and evacuation warnings were issued, urging people to start preparing a see. Spokesperson Gabriella Ornelli says a spot fire was ignited Thursday when a power line fell because of the shifting land.
Speaker 7: We are still assessing the situation and looking for ways to provide power to this community in a safe and reliable way.
Speaker 10: Edison cut the power yesterday at noon, with people saying they've been blindsided and left in the dark. The company says it will be working with customers to help them with resources.
Speaker 2: Chris Sadler KFI News. The news is brought to you by American Vision Windows. A forty nine ers rookie shot in the chest during an attempted robbery in San Francisco has been released from the hospital. Police Chief Bill Scott says Ricky Pearsall was walking home was walking alone rather in San Francisco's Union Square area Saturday aftern when a man with a gun tried to rob him.
Speaker 11: A struggle between mister Pearsall and the suspect ensued, and the suspect's gun struck. Gun Fire from the suspects guns struck struck both mister Pearsall and the subject.
Speaker 2: The chief says more than one shot was fired. The alleged robber is a seventeen year old who was also taken to the hospital. San Francisco Mayor London. Breed called the shooting a terrible and rare incident in Union Square. Ellie County Sheriff's investigators are trying to figure out if a couple of robberies at seven eleven stores in the San Gabriel Valley are related. The first happened around twelve thirty Sunday morning on Temple City Boulevard and Lower Azusa Road. About an hour later, a seven eleven on Huntington Drive in Dwarty was hit Willis. In both cases, the robbers were two Hispanic men with a gun who were dressed in all black and wore ski masks. Thousands of workers at hotels across the country are in strike for Labor Day.
Speaker 1: Ten thousand workers are striking at twenty five hotels in eight cities across the country, from San Francisco to Boston, as contract talk.
Speaker 2: Stall ABC's Ikegoch says. The union representing the workers says they walked off the job for better pay and better working conditions, including the return of automatic daily room cleaning that many hotels drop during the pandemic. The union says the hotel industry is making record profits while workers and guests are left behind. More human remains have been found at the home of sixty two year old Redlands resident Michael Sparks. He was arrested on suspicion of murder last week in connection with an elderly couple reported missing out of Colton. The US is facing another surge in COVID nineteen as the summer comes to an end. The CDC reports COVID infections are increasingly our increasing rather in nearly thirty States, and President Biden and Vice President Harris are set to appear together today at a campaign event with union workers in Pittsburgh. The event won't be the only Labor Day trip for Harris. She will also attend a celebration for the holiday in Detroit. Then at six oh five, it's handle on the news. Ukraine has launched one of its biggest DRONA attacks on Russia, hitting a refinery and power station, but Russia is downplaying its effectiveness. And at five point fifty, listen, it is not all work and no play this Labor Day. We're going to do a fun deep dive on the history of Labor Day and you can play along. The seventy fifth Annual Emmy Awards are coming up this week and there is nobody better to give us the insidescoop on everything, all thing Emmys. We are joined by Mark Malcolm. He is the senior editor of Culture and Events for Variety and also the hosts of the Jess for Variety podcast. Hi Mark, Hi, I'm great.
Speaker 3: As you know.
Speaker 2: I'm a big entertainment fan. I also honestly prefer the Emmys. This might be controversial, but I kind of prefer the Emmy Awards over the Oscars.
Speaker 3: So this is like the super Bowl for me.
Speaker 12: Wow, someone in Hollywood who says they prefer that Emmy's over the Oscars.
Speaker 2: Is that why? It's just because I'm trying to get in with producers to put me on their TV shows, That's why. But this is going to be a good one this year, seventy fifth Emmy Awards. Let's talk about what are some of the shows that are kind of going to be breaking out this Year's maybe something that hasn't been on someone's radar.
Speaker 3: What are the big shows we should watch out for.
Speaker 12: Of course, there's Showgun that was the big show this year, you know, very genre specific show, leading with nominations. Twenty five nominations for Showgun. So I think this is one of those shows where obviously, you know, the viewership has been great. The critics have loved it, obviously, Television Academy loves it. I think if they start winning on Emmy's Night, you're going to see viewership go up. You're going to see people all of a sudden deciding, Oh, I got to check out what what is the Showgun? Then Abit Elementary obviously one of the you know, the recount hits as soon as it, you know, launched, it's, you know, this incredible sitcom. Brinton Brunson has really created such an incredible universe. Of course, they're The Bear, you know, Jeremy Allen White and company.
Speaker 8: Twenty three nominations.
Speaker 12: What people may be confused about is they call The Bear a comedy. That will be me the question that we will be questioning for the ages. Is it a comedy? Is it not a comedy? I would not be surprised though, if it still scoops up a lot of awards and then only murders in the building. What's great that only murders in the building this time around. Steve Martin got a nomination, Martin Short got a nomination, and for the first time they're leading Lady Selena Gomez has gotten a nomination, which is quite the fifth feat for Selena. I'm so excited for her. People have you know, complained in years past, why hasn't she been nominated? If the show is we get out this treeo and there she is, she got nominated.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love that show.
Speaker 2: It is such a joy to watch and honestly such a surprise little nugget of a show.
Speaker 3: It feels very retro.
Speaker 2: It has like that opening sequence has like such a throwback to classic like you know television, who done it? Shows? And yeah, so I'm totally rooting for only Murders the Bear is not a comedy. I'm just gonna be controversial and throw that out there. I don't know why it's nominated the comedy category. I'm also a big fan of Hacks. I love Hacks. That's such a great show.
Speaker 12: I'm going to tell you why Hacks was nominated this year. I'm just going to plug myself. I made a cameo as myself. Yeah, in the first episode of the.
Speaker 8: Next season, So I think, really that's what's there.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, they know what pushes them over the edge, and they know they gotta they gotta bring in the big stars.
Speaker 3: They get it right.
Speaker 12: It's me playing myself interviewing Gene smartt as the provance.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: It was good, it was good, you were excellent.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I am so excited for this year's host, Eugene Levy and Dan Levy. I think they're going to be amazing. What do you think?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm excited about it.
Speaker 12: I think what I'm excited about is that I hope this means that they're getting a step closer to having.
Speaker 8: A Ship's Creek reunion. It's Creek reboot, you know that.
Speaker 12: That's what I want to see, and it'll be interesting to see, you know, what the reaction is to them, and is it really going to sort of prompt some more ships creak. I think we all miss it, So I think it's going to be interesting. You know, their humor is a very particular humor. It's a very dry I love those guys. You know. Eugene right now is on the new Murders in the Building season only Murders in the Building, So it's going to be fun.
Speaker 2: Last summer we have the strikes, the actor strike, the writers strike. Are we going to be seeing any impact of those strikes from twenty twenty three on this year's awards.
Speaker 12: It's very confusing in LA, in Hollywood, in New York. Right now, we talk about the impact of the strikes. We know that there's apparently less content, there's less things being greenlit. But you tell me, Heather, does it seem like more than ever? There is so much content. I don't keep saying that it's been cut back. I'm like, how much more can we have? You know, we are people who have to watch these things. I cannot keep up. I think there's plenty to draw from and plenty to watch.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so you know, when you have.
Speaker 12: People like Jodie Foster, you know, who's a favorite to win for True Detective.
Speaker 8: That's a pretty good year. It's harder and harder to get a movie made these days.
Speaker 12: Yes, yeah, streams are putting money behind.
Speaker 8: Series. You know, actors are.
Speaker 12: Enjoying the fact that they could do a six hour series and really dive into character work, really let something breathe, rather than trying to do a two hour movie in what thirty days? Yeah, you know, and and as we know, the streamers are throwing around a lot of money. You know, you have filmmakers who were turning to the streamers, who turning to TV to do projects. So you know what comes first the filmmakers there and then the actors. Is that the actors and the filmmakers. So you know, movie that said, movies aren't dying. We're still gonna have movie stars.
Speaker 8: Movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, a lot more on.
Speaker 8: TV and shooting.
Speaker 2: What is your favorite part of the Emmy Awards. What are you looking forward to the most this year?
Speaker 12: I mean, I'll always say it, no matter what, it's the red carpet. That's where I live, that's where I breathe, that's my job of choice.
Speaker 8: It's always about the red carpet. What are people going to be wearing?
Speaker 12: You know, the Emmys are you know, they're a little looser than let's say, the Oscars, and I love the Oscars carpet, don't get me wrong. So uh it'll be uh, it'll be fine. It'll be a red carpet.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Well Mark, thank you so much for sharing all your expertise with us. Everybody. Make sure you check out varieties coverage of the seventy fifth Annual Emmy Awards at Variety dot com and also on their social media channels. Mark, You're the best. Thank you.
Speaker 8: Thanks Heather.
Speaker 2: All Right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A brush fire that started near Mount Sanjacento College in Sanjacino has burned six hundred and fifty acres. It started yesterday afternoon near Soboba and Gilman Springs roads and burned towards Poppet Flats. Evacuation warnings have been issued. Six firefighters were taken to the hospital to be treated for minor injuries. Officials say the fire was started by a person, but they didn't say if it was intentional. Long time Associated Press reporter Linda Deutsch has died. She joined the AP in the nineteen sixties and covered several high profile news stories, including the trials of Charles Manson, Phil Speck, Michael Jackson, and O. J.
Speaker 3: Simpson.
Speaker 2: Deutsch was diagnosed in twenty twenty two with pancreatic cancer. She died at her home in La surrounded by family and friends. She was eighty. Israelis and Tel Aviv have been protesting Prime Minister Benjamin net Yahoo's handling of the war in Gaza following the murders of six more hostages, police.
Speaker 1: Arresting dozens of protesters while using water cannons to disperse the crowd.
Speaker 2: ABC's Andrew Dinbert says the bodies were found Saturday in Gaza in a Hamas tunnel in the southern city of Rafa. Israeli officials say autopsies found the hostages found the hostages were shot at close range and died on Thursday or Friday. The families and protesters say they could have been returned alive in a ceasefire deal with Hamas. Net Nyahu says whoever murders hostages doesn't want a deal. Ellie County Sheriff's investigators are trying to figure out if a couple of raw at seven eleven stores in the San Gabriel Valley are related. Police say in both cases, the robbers were two Hispanic men with a gun who were dressed in all black and Worski masts. The murders of six more hostages in Gaza have led to protests in Israel. People in Tel Aviv are demanding Prime Minister Benjamin net Yahoo agree to a cease fire deal with Hamas and get the remaining hostages home. Longtime Associated Press reporter Linda Deutsch has died. She joined the AP in the nineteen sixties and covered a lot of high profile stories.
Speaker 3: She was eighty years old.
Speaker 2: And of course we are minutes away from handle on the news this morning, and we're going to tell you about the new speed cameras that will be put in place along PCH and why they're being put up. All right, listen, it is Labor Day. Some of you may be getting ready for work, some of you may be just waking up early to listen to Wake Up Call.
Speaker 3: And that's okay.
Speaker 2: We are here working in the twenty four hour newsroom, but that doesn't mean we can't have a little bit of fun. So we're gonna play a little labor day trivia. Feel free to play along, whether you're headed to work or listening in your car. Our players today are Kno, of course, thank you, thank you, Welcome to the show. Welcome to the show. And of course we've got producer and Hi, good morning, and Nick. Will you play with us?
Speaker 11: Nick?
Speaker 3: That's what she said.
Speaker 2: That's what she said, all right, listen should uh okay, So I am just gonna totally beat us, by the way, Hey no.
Speaker 9: Nick, and you're so sweet.
Speaker 3: You know I love you well, I love you.
Speaker 2: I want to say, first of all, thank you guys for being here with me on this Labor Day. I know you probably didn't have a choice, none of us did. But we're here. We're here working. I have these this list of laberty trivia quiz questions. I did not look at the answers, just so you know. So I don't know I have a I have a key and answer key here. I don't know do we have like a I guess nobody has. We'd have a buzzer if you guys want to buzz in or something, we could do that. It's totally up to you. It's gone off the rails. I expect to call from Chris Little any minute. Now. All right, that's fine, Okay, guys, here we go. Our first question. This is a multiple choice, so this will be pretty easy. Where was the first Labor Day parade America?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 2: Your options are Chicago, New York City or Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: DC. Oh? Sorry, all right, Nick, what do you think I'm going with Chicago?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 3: Nick says Chicago and says d C. Cono.
Speaker 2: You want to weigh in?
Speaker 3: So my America wasn't America was okay, I also think Chicago. It was Chicago.
Speaker 9: Good try Anne. No, No, I feel you. I totally feel you.
Speaker 3: I don't know what study I was going to study, and Heather says, no, it's more fun if you don't. It is more fun if you don't.
Speaker 2: Some people can laugh at me.
Speaker 9: I love you and studying up.
Speaker 3: Look at you?
Speaker 2: Hold on, wait, I have to say this, hold on to second. What I messed up? So I printed the answer key in black and white and the answer is actually New York City.
Speaker 9: Oh, we're all wrong.
Speaker 2: So you're all wrong. Okay, that's my fault. Now I have the color version of I'm sorry. We're back on track. We're back on track, everybody, all right, here we go. Second question, what year did Labor Day become an official federal holiday in the US? Eighteen ninety four, eighteen eighty four or nineteen oh.
Speaker 3: Four, eighteen eighty four. That is not correct, Go ahead, nineteen oh four?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Are therese one other option left? Conor do you hear my brother was eighteen ninety four? Ninety four?
Speaker 2: Right there? Oh?
Speaker 9: One point for kno, one.
Speaker 3: Point for COONa.
Speaker 2: All right? What year was the eight hour workday legally established nineteen twelve, nineteen fourteen or nineteen sixteen. That's hard maybe beep all right, go ahead, Cono nineteen sixteen.
Speaker 3: Correct, really good.
Speaker 2: You are good.
Speaker 9: Wow, I'll look at you.
Speaker 3: All right, here we go.
Speaker 2: What percent of Americans plan to barbecue over Labor Day weekend? Thirty two percent, sixty seven percent or eighty three percent?
Speaker 3: Beep sixty seven correct?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 3: Conos? Wow, all right, look at you.
Speaker 2: What day of the week is Labor Day celebrated in the United States? All right, Nick's Monday's right. If we got that wrong, you guys, we have all failed.
Speaker 3: That's a terrible question. It's a terrible question. No, it's the best question. Great, it was like a Wednesday. We fed these all right.
Speaker 9: Well, the four of us get to hang out. That's the best part.
Speaker 3: It is the best part.
Speaker 2: Which month do many countries celebrate their Labor Day? May?
Speaker 3: February or juneep?
Speaker 1: May?
Speaker 3: That's right, it is May? Oh, I think, Nick, and Cono or tie coming for you.
Speaker 9: I'm coming for you.
Speaker 3: Is there a booby price? Just boobies, just boobies, Come in and wait.
Speaker 9: Two or four? Okay, continue, all right?
Speaker 2: In which US city was the first trade union formed New York City, Philadelphia or Orlando.
Speaker 3: That's a Philly.
Speaker 9: That is a Philly good time.
Speaker 3: I have like AI up or something and my brain and I watched Jeopardy religiously. Oh I love John Wow. All right, all right Congress.
Speaker 2: Congress passed federal laws in nineteen sixteen making what illegal in the workforce A working at mines, child labor or smoking. I mean ConA, it's got your child labor, right, Yeah, for sure, that's what I was gonna say. Yeah, I know, and gets bonus points. We're making those poor babies, all right, Yes, four children one hundred and sixty million children worldwide are engaged in child labor.
Speaker 3: Two or false true, true, that's true. That's nick. I mean that was yeah, that was struggling over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, get my coffee here.
Speaker 3: What I don't want to labor too much on labor day? Come on, that is just it's hard.
Speaker 2: Listen. It is early in the morning, and I am asking for very soon.
Speaker 3: Wayne is listening to this right now. I'm going this is my lead in. Yeah he is.
Speaker 2: He is cussing and punching the air right now. I guarantee it. Or he's mad that he's not able to meet and Buzzy in more likely. All right, uh, Labor Day marks the end of Oh, I don't know if I can do this. Labor Day marks the end of a nacho season, pizza season, or hot dogs season.
Speaker 9: Nachos, nobe nick hot dog.
Speaker 3: That is right. It's kind of the official kickoff for the NFL too. I think I would think.
Speaker 9: So, yeah, well I would agree with you.
Speaker 2: I feel like I am and the last day that you can wear.
Speaker 9: The Queen of Sofi? What would then it be the kickoff for Labor Day? Would kick off white Rams food wise?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 9: I don't know, he said, like I'm thinking, I want all of you, Queen of Sofi.
Speaker 3: So can we do all the above? Please? All right?
Speaker 2: Last question. Labor Day is said to have been conceived by a gay lord Nelson B. John McConnell or C. Peter McGuire. This is for the win, This is for thirty.
Speaker 9: Points and go come on, man, you got this, Peter McGuire, Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John, I have literally never seen such a hotly contested race of trivia.
Speaker 3: Guys. Thank you for playing along.
Speaker 9: Yeah, of course, thank you, Heather.
Speaker 3: That was awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you for playing along. On my Labor Day trivia. Listen, we're here on Labor Day. We're working, but we can still make it a little bit fun. I'd love to bring in the fun whenever I can. All Right, you guys, there's no prizes for anybody who played at home, but we appreciate you.
Speaker 3: We'll just leave That's put that out. There's any prize for anyone who played here either.
Speaker 2: There might be I might have a pop tart for you. Oh all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of a KI twenty four hour newsroom. The Grizzly bear may soon be honored at an La Park.
Speaker 13: There are no more grizzly bears in California, but there's one on the state flag, a tribute to the more than ten thousand bears that once roamed the state when Europeans first arrived during the Gold Rush, and by the nineteen twenties all the grizzlies had been hunted down and killed. It's believed the last grizzly to walk southern California lived in the area of what is now Sunland Park in the San Fernando Valley. The La City Council has voted to have a report on how how to erect and pay for a permanent memorial to the Grizzly at Sunland Park, along with the plan to educate the public there.
Speaker 3: Michael Monks KFI news.
Speaker 2: Ford is recalling more than ninety thousand vehicles because engine intake valves could break while driving. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration says the recall affects certain twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two Broncos F one P fifty Edge Explore, Lincoln Nautilus, and Lincoln Aviator vehicles. The agency says dealers will do an engine cycle test and replace the engine if necessary. A new study from MCIL found that Californians lead the nation in money lost to romance scams at nearly two hundred million dollars and report more of these crimes annually, making it the most catfish state in the country. For those wondering what catfish means, well, it's an online con that lures someone into a relationship, often romantic in nature, by using a fictional persona. All right, if you're looking for something to watch today, here you go. If you missed Joey Chestnut over Fourth of July weekend at the Nathan's famous hot dog eating competition. Then you're in luck, because today the hot dog King is back with an appetite for vengeance the pair. Uh well, let's see this. He is going to be pitted against his rival to Kiu Kobyashi in a Wiener take all competition.
Speaker 3: That's right, That's what I said.
Speaker 2: It's being billed as Unfinished Beef and will stream live on Netflix. The contest will also be co hosted by Rob Wriggle and WWE Hall of Famer Nikki Garcia aka Nikki Bella. Kobyashi has confirmed he will put off retiring until he can out eat Chestnut one last time. I had to make sure I said that line carefully. I've been practicing. This is KFI and KOSD D two, Los Angeles, Orange County Southland Weather from KFI, it's foggy this morning. HIGs will be in the mid eighties to eighty eight at the beaches. I will be in the mid eighties to low nineties in Metro LA and OC. It's gonna be windy. Highs will be in the upper nineties to about one hundred and two in the valleys. I will be in the mid nineties to about one oh three for the Inland Empire, and it's gonna be in the mid nineties to about one hundred in the High Desert. Right now, it's sixty six in Monabelo, sixty five in Mission vie Ho, This is My Voice Goodness, sixty eight in Anaheim, and sixty seven in Sherman Oaks. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Heather Brooker. This has been your wake up Call, and if you miss any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. Make sure you subscribe to wake Up Call and leave a comment. We'd love to hear from you, and I'd love to hear from you as well. Make sure you follow me on Twitter at Heather Brooker or on Instagram at the Heather Brooker. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King.
Speaker 5: You can always hear Wakeup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.