Speaker 1: Cooperation with police and federal law enforcement departments throughout the United States. The only national program that brings you authentic police case histories.
Speaker 2: Gangbuster at Margit Dayplay.
Speaker 3: A crime wave of the most serious proportions is spreading throughout the United States. Tonight Saturday, decemberate, nineteen forty five, a serious crime is being committed every forty second.
Speaker 4: Chicago, December eight.
Speaker 3: One man kills another wounded in gun battle with police. Chelsea, Massachusetts, December eight. Police searching desperately for person who telephoned father of six months old baby that kidnapped child would be returned.
Speaker 4: Quote in a box unquote.
Speaker 5: Redwood City, California, December eight. Sixteen year old high scho girl kidnapped by man and woman in green sedan.
Speaker 2: Theyse are authentic factors.
Speaker 3: Since this new crime wave has started, a murder has been committed in the United States every three hours.
Speaker 1: In its relentless war upon this crime wave, that this country may be a safe country in which to live. Gangbusters presents Lewis J. Valentine, former commissioner of the largest police force in the world, who will interview by proxy. W. M. Adams, Sheriff Potter County Texas Commissioner Valentine.
Speaker 6: Now Sheriff Adams. Suppose you start our gangbuster's case for tonight.
Speaker 5: While Commissioner Valentine, I'd like to go back a few years to Dallas, Texas Sheriff Hart was telephoning to the Texas State Police.
Speaker 2: This escape convict is deadly.
Speaker 3: I consider him one of the most dangerous criminals at large. And here's the description. Pikey Thompson twenty six, five feet eight inches, weight one hundred and fifty cold, black hair, dark brown eyes, swave some dresses like a fashion place. Blackie Thompson will kill on the slightest provocation.
Speaker 7: Uh, don't play anymore, Leila. All right, Denny, that's our song. I can't stand it tonight, Leila. Do you realize ever since we were ten years old, we planned to get married.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Denny, Leila, you're just infatuated.
Speaker 7: You don't know anything about him, only he came to town a month ago.
Speaker 8: But I can't help my feelings. Denny.
Speaker 4: Sure, he's handsome, he's been in places. He's flash he's exciting.
Speaker 8: Denny, he's romance. He's everything I ever dreamed of.
Speaker 7: And I'm just a guy who's always lived across the street.
Speaker 8: You'll get over it never.
Speaker 7: You don't even know Leyla what he does for a living. Oh, I suppose that's him?
Speaker 4: Is my hero?
Speaker 8: All right? Do I look all right? Denny?
Speaker 4: You look awful good to me.
Speaker 9: I'll be back minute, Blanky, I can.
Speaker 8: Denny's in the living room. I've just told him. Yeah, I hate a terrible to hurt him.
Speaker 4: You've told your old folks you're leaving town with me.
Speaker 8: No, but I've got my bags all packed after they were asleep.
Speaker 9: I leave them and not to meet you.
Speaker 4: I want to get out of this break.
Speaker 8: I never was so excited in my life. Oh, Blackie, you do love me, don't you sure?
Speaker 4: Blacky?
Speaker 8: There won't be one board minute.
Speaker 9: Being with you?
Speaker 4: You do another half of it.
Speaker 8: Kid, leaving this way, I'll probably never be able to come home again. You'll you'll always love me, won't you?
Speaker 4: You're okay, beautiful, waiting to get a look at the outside world with me.
Speaker 3: Emergency All State Police First National Bank in Rush Springs, Oklahoma, held up by three gunmen. Leader cold black hair, brown eyes attention to escape police. Gun shop at Rheotock, Oklahoma, held up by three gunmen. Leader black hair, immaculately dressed, brown eyes, machine guns, shotguns and ammunition stolen. Leader answers description of dangerous escape convict Blackie Thompson.
Speaker 4: Pretty swanky nightclub. Halila, Hey, you never said nothing like this in Hicktan you come from. That's the matter.
Speaker 8: Oh, I was just listening to that son. It just happens to mean a lot to me.
Speaker 4: Ah, thinking of that hick Romeo I took you away from.
Speaker 9: We'll snap out of it, all right, all right, I'm sorry, Blackie.
Speaker 4: You wanted excitement and you're getting it. Answer whomember. The first night you threw a fit when you found out.
Speaker 8: Who I really was, it was also new to me, Blakie.
Speaker 4: Now I'm gonna give you some real excitement. What I'm pulling another heist tomorrow the bank. Yeah, and the heat's on me. You're gonna drive our getaway car. I'm going to to drive our getaway car.
Speaker 8: All right? All right if you say so, Blakie.
Speaker 4: Well that's what I do.
Speaker 8: Say you still love me, blank I'll lay off that.
Speaker 4: Gool I'm getting fed up with it. You'll park the car in front of the bank and I'll take quit me and go in. Yes, you're the cash here. Yes, let's suspect up. Break for the sailing. Don't reach for the sailing, my arm. He didn't reach quick enough. Grab the dough. Okay, shut up, group the case, never mind him, get the dog, got it? Okay? Then come on, and if anyone tries to stop this, when we get outside, kill him.
Speaker 8: Are you all right? Blank you?
Speaker 9: I heart your.
Speaker 4: Mouth and step on the g step on it. I said, that's a fast now, leader. Those cops are sent out of arms. They spot a car, hit the sixty the figure, it's us. Keep your guns righty in the back, steat there with me. You don't worry. I'm ready.
Speaker 8: Oh, Blanky, I didn't realize it would be like this.
Speaker 4: You start whine enough for a plug?
Speaker 3: You just as quick as I want anybody else wacky.
Speaker 8: I'm sticking with you. I always will.
Speaker 3: Hey, Blackie, you think he'll kill that cashier.
Speaker 4: Back in the back. What's the difference.
Speaker 3: We got the dough, Blackie?
Speaker 8: Look coming down that other road car?
Speaker 4: Pots?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do we do?
Speaker 4: We can't turn back a black house. Shut up. We've only got one chance. Now, listen, Leela, you do what I tell.
Speaker 8: You, all right, Blackie, anything you see he.
Speaker 4: Driving straight aheads. Oh, nothing's wrong. Yes, if those cops you'll pull up, stop the car. But when you do pull up just a few feet ahead of them, you understand what my mind. Get the guns back there ready, I'll crawl a back seat with your Whitney.
Speaker 3: Cops.
Speaker 4: See it's all right there, waving Whitney. Hide down on the floor of the car. Now you do what I told you, Lelo.
Speaker 3: You'll get a slug in the back of the head. Pull over your people, pull over, okay, officer.
Speaker 4: Stop just ahead of them, Lela. That's right. And when I say so, jammer guns out the back window and let them have like you know, keep your mouth shut. I can see through the back window. Copsy get out now, yeah, don't work in this way.
Speaker 3: Okay the car, let them have it. Oh mo, kill kill them all.
Speaker 2: We got most of them.
Speaker 4: Blake, shut up, get.
Speaker 3: This car going, Thank you. Kill them you killed.
Speaker 4: They'll kill you if you don't get this car out. It's got the cups taking Blackie Thompson.
Speaker 5: One member of that patrol posse, was killed Commissioner Valentine. Two of the others were badly wounded and another received slight wound, but Blackie Thompson and his gang escape.
Speaker 1: All back to Gangbusters and commission Or Valentine.
Speaker 6: What happened Sheriff Adams After Blackie Thompson's spectacular escape from that puffy.
Speaker 5: Well, Commissioner Valentine, Blackie Thompson, reckless as he was, thought her best to hide out for a while. He and Leela had a hideout just outside of Bartlesville, Oklahoma.
Speaker 8: Why Blackie, come in Lena new suit, new shoes, But what's the idea of the suitcase?
Speaker 3: Are we going somewhere and me.
Speaker 4: Those gloves on the pura these uh uh pig skin pretty hard and rough.
Speaker 8: Blackie, you are planning on working out on me?
Speaker 4: Uh well, little talk with you first, even get on my nerves. I'm fed up, Blacky, no one, no scene, and I'm fed up with the Dame. I'm through and that ends it.
Speaker 8: But I can't go home. I haven't got any place to go. I haven't got anybody but you.
Speaker 9: You can't leave the.
Speaker 4: The reason I wanted to talk to you is you think you're gonna get back on me and tipping off the cops. You got another think coming. You can't one word of the cops and I'll find you and fill you full of lead.
Speaker 8: After I've given up my home and family and everything working.
Speaker 4: These pigskin gloves are just like Steve, and you have a beautiful face. I should bump you off now and to make sure you don't code. But just as a little sample, yeah a long time before that pussy, yourys looks human again. And if you were even tempted to say your word to the cops, just remember that little sample.
Speaker 3: Fletchy Mike, come in the office a minute.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 4: Check?
Speaker 3: Did you check where the police in nearby cities? I'm Blackie jumping? Yes, sir, I know, so how about want to check it is now? I was just coming in from the printer. I'm sending one to every police chief in the country.
Speaker 2: Good of Heart's office?
Speaker 3: Is it? Who is this?
Speaker 9: There's a man you want, pat and I know where he is?
Speaker 3: Blackie TOMPs Blackie Thompson.
Speaker 9: He said he'd kill me if I ever told who are you? I was his girlfriend?
Speaker 3: Where is he?
Speaker 9: Tims Barr? I hope you lock him up till he dies.
Speaker 3: There's this gang with him.
Speaker 9: I don't know about his gang.
Speaker 3: What is now, beautiful girl? It might be Hello, Hello, A trip on Blackie Thompson. Yeah, my woman, black he's supposed to be over at Tim's bar. I'm driving over right now.
Speaker 4: You can't go alone, Chef his whole gang. Maybe with him.
Speaker 6: I'll take my chances, Mike.
Speaker 3: This time it's going to be Blankie Thompson or me.
Speaker 4: Hello, Sheriff. Kind of raw tonight?
Speaker 2: Hello Tim?
Speaker 4: What brings you to my place? Sheriff? Something up?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 4: Well, no one's been except that fella sitting back there in the corner. He's the man I'm watching in the bar mirror. Yeah, who is he?
Speaker 3: Five feet eight inches, one hundred and fifty pounds, black hair, dark brown eyes.
Speaker 4: That's right, Blackie Thompson. I saw his picture on the papers. What are you gonna do, Sheriff.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take him.
Speaker 4: Hey, that guy's a killer. Moved down the bar out of range.
Speaker 3: All right, stay where you are, both of you, and if we don't.
Speaker 4: I knew you was a cop, but the minute it came in, I was waiting for your first move to kill you.
Speaker 2: Here it looks like you've got the drop on me.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna kill you, and I'm gonna kill that dame that tipped you off. You wouldn't just kill me here in cold blow, wouldn't I you said your last speech here, Sheriff, you threw him right over your shoulder. All right, Blackie, get up on your feet. Kill Okay, I'm getting up, Cop, I'm getting up.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of jobs marked up against you, Blackie and one of his cop killing.
Speaker 2: Ervin.
Speaker 5: Blackie Thompson, rise and face the court. It is the sentence of this court that you, Irvin Blackie Thompson, for the crimes of kidnapping, murder, and robbery, be taken to the Texas State Prison at Huntsville, And that within the walls of the said prison, on the twenty fourth day of October next between the hours of six and ten in the morning, a sufficient current of electricity be passed through your body to cause your death. And may God have mercy on your soul.
Speaker 4: Just a minute, Whitney, you know the rules. Convicts are allowed near the death house. Yeah, I thought maybe, Ay, I thought I could see my old pile, Blackie Thompson. They're uh electrocuting them in a weekend. Oh, you have to get permissions from the warden. Oh well, then, uh, would you quiet God? Or I'll kill you. Where'd you get that gun? Open the door of the death house quick, surprising what a little gun smothered? Then?
Speaker 2: Can do.
Speaker 4: I walk inside? Screw nobody ever escaped from his death house. Yeah, wouldn't they have give me those keys? Blukey b like you?
Speaker 3: What's set in over here? With me?
Speaker 4: Hurry hurry? Yeah, come on, God, run with me, get me out of the cell. Open the door and come on. Okay, you know well the slight to be in the death house. Come on, open it up with me. Hurry, I'm working his fencers. I can't blakey. I'll never forget this flavor but me. Okay, Butney, No, I'll take that guy, but apply him your gun. I'll shove the god in the south. Let's screwise out for good. Hey, open myself, let's get out of here. It's gonna spend those other guys in the death house hand not stun and burn.
Speaker 3: I'm saying myself.
Speaker 4: Come on, I got the ladder hit on the other side of the storf like he had. No guy ever broke out of this death house before I get that ladd You know, okay, I got it over to the wall.
Speaker 8: Now you.
Speaker 4: Okay, stand the ladder up against the wall and it's okay, I'll start. I know you don't I'm first. Oh, that's no way to treat me. After I got you out of the Death House. Blankie the Blackie Thompson. Blackie comes first, look the gart up in the wall. Seasons.
Speaker 3: Oh Blackie, come back, help me? Will you help yourself?
Speaker 4: Who do you think I am?
Speaker 3: Emergency Emergency Blackie Thompson has just escaped from the Death House. While Whitney awaited him to escape, was shut by the tower guard and killed. Emergency Blankie Thompson has just escaped.
Speaker 4: I'm right here in the shadow.
Speaker 9: Oh, darling, I couldn't see you.
Speaker 4: You really like these country clem dancers. No, they're boling.
Speaker 8: I wish you'd come in.
Speaker 4: I've been watching you through the window. I knew you were here.
Speaker 8: I was trying to sneak out. I never knew a girl could be so in love in just one week.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, running away with me or not.
Speaker 8: But do you realize I hardly even know your name.
Speaker 4: You're in love with me though, more than anything in the world. Well, then after you get home tonight, pack sneak out and I don't have a car on the street. In the back of your house.
Speaker 8: You honestly love me, don't you?
Speaker 4: Would I be asking to run away with me if I didn't. All right, I will go with you.
Speaker 9: I'll go with you to the end of the world if you want you.
Speaker 4: We won't go that far at first. I'll take you for a few weeks to Amarilla, Texas. Amarilla. I don't worry, kid, you won't be bored. I promise you that.
Speaker 3: Attention.
Speaker 4: Attention.
Speaker 3: First National Bank just robbed by gunman about twenty eight black hair, handsome, immaculifney dressed. This gunman cruelly beat cashier. Believe to be killer. Blackie Thompson approach with caution. Sriff's office. Hello, Hello, what's the matter? This is the Sheriff's office. What's the matter? Are you you?
Speaker 6: Who is this?
Speaker 9: You? Looking for Blackie Thompson.
Speaker 4: Blackie Thompson. Every office in the South looking for Blackie Thompson.
Speaker 3: He's here in Amarilla, where I don't know who are you? On?
Speaker 9: His girlfriend? He told me he was gonna marry me. He said he loved me. He's found another girl, and I hope you catch him and shoot him and put him in the electric chair and kill him and put him in jail for life. I never, never, never, never want to see him again.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello, Hello, attention Texas police. Blackie Thompson reported to be here in Amarello. All patrol cars cover her main highways killer Blackie Thompson reported here in Amarello.
Speaker 4: You don't suppose, Sheriff, that.
Speaker 3: Girl who thown in game is a wrong steer.
Speaker 4: I'm Blackie Thompson here. She didn't expect that she was the cleverest actor I ever heard.
Speaker 3: I'm way Jerry police car in Texas and patrol him tonight. Look way down there on the lower road. See yeah to Dan must be doing seventy. Look way behind it. Three squad cars are after him. Sheriff must be Blackie Thompson in the first car. He's outright on the squad cars. Oh what a run break This road runs parallel that road for miles before there's a cut across, and we'll never be able to get down the highway in time to cut him off. We've got to those squad cars will never catch him. It's only one way to head the car off. Go down the embankment assist. He put bank in a rough field beyond. He's got to take a chance. Hang on, either make it or be killed. Watching look out that rock, steady, steady. Sure if you made it, he's about three hundred yards ahead of us. Step on it. I can't go any past her. He's pulling away. I'll see if I can plug his tires. Gord, he's stopping me out. Sure you've heard this out of the glass from wind Shoe. We'll get him.
Speaker 4: Oh, here comes the other squad cars. Come on, man, there he is right by his car, right out on the sides of the road. I know, man, Open fire, all right, man, hold it careful. Thompson may be playing possum. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: If your gun's on him, though, If he starts to get up out of that road, let him have it.
Speaker 4: You got my covers must be at least thirty bullets in him.
Speaker 3: Well, then that's the end of Blackie Thompson. It's a shame that some of these men don't realize before it's too late, that they just can't get away with it.
Speaker 5: Well, Commission of Valentine, that's the case of Blackie Thompson. And I hope if there's anyone listening tonight who contemplates committing a crime. They'll just remember this case.
Speaker 6: We appreciate, Sheriff Adams, you are telling us these inside facts. Tonight, Gangbusters is a Phillips h Lord production.