Speaker 1: The National Broadcasting Company presents Radio City Playhouse Attraction three of Unsound Mine stars the lovely and talented young American actress Gene Tatum as Myra. The script was written by Harry W. Jenkins, who also directs the production. Here is Radio City Playhouse Attraction three of Unsound Mine.
Speaker 2: I tell you, Jeff, I won't do it. I won't live with a man who's insane.
Speaker 3: He isn't insane. You married to him, and you will live with him for a while at any rate.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you I can't. I can't bear living with him any longer.
Speaker 3: Oh, reputations in this town are pretty well shot. Myra. If you leave Caleb. Now I care about public opinion, well I do. It means my bread and butter.
Speaker 1: Just just see.
Speaker 2: It makes me sick.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Look, he's been four years in the Air Force, two years in this nut house.
Speaker 3: Now he's cured. Six years. You've been spending his money and having yourself quite a happy time with it.
Speaker 5: Well, now you're going to turn into a sweet, devoted, little Baltimore housewife.
Speaker 3: You'll go to Wendy Hill and get him, and you'll bring him home and live with him. Jeff, he's crazy, he's nothing at a sort of Doctor Hamilton wouldn't let him come home. And Hamilton's one of the leading psychiatric Manamcotlay.
Speaker 2: I can't stand it that fall. I can't live with a man that's insane.
Speaker 3: He's not insane and York.
Speaker 6: Go up to Wendy Hill and get him.
Speaker 2: Doctor Hamilton before I take Caleb home from here? Is there anything else I should know?
Speaker 7: I don't think so. He's completely cured. Just be kind to him, that's all.
Speaker 2: Oh, I will, I will. I've waited so long for this day. I've been pretty lone to doctor Hamilton.
Speaker 7: I'm sure you are. Caleb's a fine man.
Speaker 2: There's no danger of a relax.
Speaker 7: It's so remote missus Hunt that I'd say there's no danger at all. Two or three things still bother him. A fire, for instance, and traffic. He shouldn't drive a car for a few months.
Speaker 2: We've tried a little motor trip in New York. Shouldn't let him drive.
Speaker 7: No, positively, no driving. He got excited or if something startled him, he might freeze to the wheel. Just try to keep him as relaxed as possible mentally and physically.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, I will tell me doctor Hamilton, Just what did you do to Caleb?
Speaker 7: You picked him up on We've done a great deal, missus hunt. He put a tantulum plate in his head, you see, when his plane crashed. The wound in his head resulted in an actual breakdown of brain tissue. That part is healed now he needs some rest and a lot of happiness.
Speaker 2: And you does it hurt this place? There?
Speaker 7: Not of bed and he is cured.
Speaker 2: Oh, completely, will owe you a great deal, doctor Hamm.
Speaker 7: Nonsense, my dear, nonsense. Oh tell me what are your plans? And yes, where we live.
Speaker 2: Right here in Baltimore. We're driving from New York. Sort of a second honeymoon. Oh, I see, then we'll come back here.
Speaker 7: Good trip will do him good er, Let him make the decisions where to eat and what to do.
Speaker 3: You know it'll er give him.
Speaker 8: Confidence in himself.
Speaker 2: I'll do everything I can. Good.
Speaker 7: Now, you'd better go and find him. He's waiting for you in the reception room on the first floor. I've already said my good byes to him. So go on your motor trip to New York and never think of Windy Hill again.
Speaker 2: You are right, Caleb, I'm fine, I hope you didn't mind my suggesting your draw Really, I was exhausty.
Speaker 1: No, I'm fine.
Speaker 3: It's good for me.
Speaker 1: I've got to get over these crazy notions.
Speaker 2: We just to doctor Hamilton said that you shouldn't do any driving. I should never have suggested it.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to forget it. I'm fine, Really, don't go do that. I relax, Myra, I'm fine. Get it.
Speaker 9: Take your hands off a wheel, you know, pen stations, parloc our reservations.
Speaker 1: Please, Who on earth are you phoning at seven o'clock in the morning our reservation?
Speaker 2: This is missus Caleb Haunt. We made fifteen Walter Victoria. Could i'd possibly get two chairs in a parlor car to Baltimore this morning?
Speaker 3: Wi?
Speaker 1: What are you?
Speaker 2: I can't hear. Yes to Baltimore. Yes, my husband isn't well and I want to get him home as quickly as possible.
Speaker 10: What do you mean I'm not well?
Speaker 2: What time does it leave? Oh well, how about eleven thirty?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: Ral?
Speaker 2: That's very kind of you. Could we pick them up at the station?
Speaker 1: Goodness?
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Hunt. That's right, right, c h eight fifteen wald up a historian. That's right, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Myra. I don't want to go home.
Speaker 2: Darling, go back to sleep.
Speaker 8: You need me?
Speaker 2: It up for an How are you?
Speaker 1: There's nothing the matter with me? And this is simply ridiculous. Why shouldn't we stay in New York and I have some fun? After all, neither of us was hurt.
Speaker 2: We might have been, Caleb, and then I didn't like that?
Speaker 1: Will I just shocked your nerves a shock to yours too.
Speaker 2: Isn't it not the same thing, Caleb? After all you've been ill, very ill.
Speaker 10: Nonsense?
Speaker 2: It isn't nonsense at all. I just want to take care of you, that's all.
Speaker 1: I don't need taking care of your own.
Speaker 2: Good darling.
Speaker 1: There's nothing the matter with me.
Speaker 10: I tell you.
Speaker 2: We do have to be careful, though, but.
Speaker 1: You don't have to whisk me back to Baltimore after one day in New York. Why we haven't seen a thing yet anyhow? How we get the car back, it'll take him at least a week to fix it.
Speaker 2: The car isn't as important to me as you are doing well.
Speaker 10: I'm not going.
Speaker 2: I love you so much that I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to you. I should never have let you drive. I feel personally responsible for the accident.
Speaker 1: If you kept your hands off the wheel, we wouldn't have had the accident. Oh, I'm sorry, Mara. I just wish you'd stop worrying about me.
Speaker 2: I'm not worrying about you, Caleb. I want to go.
Speaker 1: Home, all right. I'll go pick up the tickets myself. What times the train go every.
Speaker 2: Hour on the half hour, and we've chairs on the one at eleven thirty.
Speaker 11: Waiter?
Speaker 2: Are you sure you understand what you're supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 8: But not?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: My husband isn't well and I want to bring that home to it.
Speaker 1: I want him to.
Speaker 2: Realize that he's not normal. You see, he won't listen to me. My husband is back in the chair car. I'm going back now to get it. I'll be coming back to the diner in a few moments for lunch. You're to watch for us, and to be sure it's you who serves us. Is that cleary?
Speaker 3: Is, ma'am? Fifty dollars enough, y is, ma'am?
Speaker 2: You would handled properly. I'll give you fifty more. After all, for one hundred dollars. You shouldn't be two fucks, no, ma'am, and don't let him write out his order. You understand that. Yes, we'll let me look at the menu. You'll probably have the chickens or bring in something else, anything else, not so long as you bring him something different to what he ordered. You understand, yes, ma'am. All right, we'll be back in a few moments. Seeve if I've been up to the diner. There's a lineup. But I explained the situation to the waiter, and he said, he's see us right away.
Speaker 1: What situation it's time for?
Speaker 2: Lune kalen?
Speaker 3: What situation?
Speaker 2: Lunch? Darling?
Speaker 12: Come along the diners this way.
Speaker 1: You said you'd explain the situation to the waiter. What situation?
Speaker 11: We were hungry?
Speaker 1: I was being hungry a situation.
Speaker 2: Lelly said, you weren't awfully Well, that's all. Now, what's wrong with that? Would you prefer to stand in line for an hour?
Speaker 1: Okay, darling, let's see.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute. Here we are. Pardon, thank you? Excuse me, come calb, pardon, thank you? There we are. Now you sit down there, Caleb. You shouldn't ride at your back.
Speaker 3: To the engine. I'll hold your chair.
Speaker 2: Nineteen darling, sit down, eh, and now isn't that comfortable? I'm better than standing online.
Speaker 1: I'd feel better in line than on a leash. Myra, Calyb. You drag me along like a little lap dog.
Speaker 2: It's a very cruel thing to say.
Speaker 10: Kidd Oh, all right, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Let's order waiter.
Speaker 2: No, not you the other man.
Speaker 1: What difference does it.
Speaker 3: Make, Caleb?
Speaker 2: I gave him a tip together this table.
Speaker 1: He might as well service to good man.
Speaker 3: What'll you have?
Speaker 1: Myra, You've got a pencil waiting and beg you plunge. Don't we have to write our orders out?
Speaker 8: It's a haul riser.
Speaker 1: I'll take it down, but it'll it be Mara chilled.
Speaker 8: Guns's very nice, ma'am.
Speaker 2: All right, lamb chop and lionaise potatoes, small salad, and I guess the ice cream cake.
Speaker 8: Coffee, ma'am.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And for user, I'll have the chicken.
Speaker 10: No no, I think I'll have the roast lamb. Is it nice?
Speaker 3: Very nice? All right?
Speaker 1: Roast lamb, No soup, green peas, mashed potatoes, ice cream.
Speaker 13: Coffee, thank you, Lamb chopser for you, ma'am, thank you?
Speaker 8: And chicken for user.
Speaker 10: No, I ordered the lamb roast Lamb.
Speaker 2: It was chicken darling.
Speaker 1: No roast lamb will you change it please?
Speaker 8: I have chicken on my.
Speaker 2: Slip, Sir, it was chicken, darling.
Speaker 1: You said chicken, I said roast lamb. And I don't care what you've got on your slip. I want roast lam I'll get it, yes, right away.
Speaker 2: It was chicken dot It was not looking at us.
Speaker 8: I ordered roast lamb.
Speaker 12: All right, you're all right.
Speaker 1: Why do you say all right, dear like that? You know perfectly well I ordered the roast lamb. Let's not get excited. I'm excited to persist in treating me as though I were feeble minded.
Speaker 2: I suppose he's a pawn broker. You make quite a lot of money.
Speaker 8: I do all right. Old Moore's good town for pawn brokers.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess that's all. I'm sure you understand what to do.
Speaker 8: Yes, I know. Say listen, lady, what are you up to?
Speaker 2: That's none of your business. There's fifty dollars in it for you. Here's twenty five. I'll give you another twenty five if you do it properly. I'll take a good look at his picture.
Speaker 8: Yes, he's alone.
Speaker 2: And then when he comes in, what do you say?
Speaker 8: I say, hello, mister bank for your risk what.
Speaker 2: You're not very convincing.
Speaker 8: Look, lady, I'm a pawnbroker, not an actor.
Speaker 2: Once more.
Speaker 8: Okay, hello, mister, thank for yourrish watch.
Speaker 2: Better, here's the watch you. Remember you've never seen or heard of me. Remember you've never seen or heard of me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm coming.
Speaker 10: Myra. You forget your keys.
Speaker 1: Yes, as began to wonder where you were you been shopping? Yes, you buy anything exciting, haleebe.
Speaker 2: I'm very upset. Why did you pawn your watch? What?
Speaker 1: Your watch?
Speaker 2: The one you lost? Why did you pawn it?
Speaker 1: Heaven?
Speaker 2: Notice plenty of money. If you need any, you can go to the bank and get it.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about the watch?
Speaker 2: You said you lost?
Speaker 1: What do you mean said I lost? I did lose it. I left it on the wash basin, but I washed my hand.
Speaker 2: It just vanished into thin air.
Speaker 1: It wasn't there when I went back.
Speaker 2: Do you think somebody stole it?
Speaker 1: I think it'll turn up somewhere and around the house.
Speaker 2: I saw it in a pawn shop this afternoon in an I went in and looked at it. It had your initials on the back.
Speaker 1: Well, then, missus Archibald must have taken it and pawned it. I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: She's been with us for.
Speaker 2: Years, Caleb, don't I asked the man in the porn shop. He described the man who brought it in, and the description fitted you.
Speaker 1: Mirah.
Speaker 2: I did not pawn that watch, and somebody's lying somewhere.
Speaker 1: Who do you prefer to believe me or some character who runs a pawn shop? Are you implying that I pawned that watch without knowing it?
Speaker 2: Darling, Darling, Caleb, I'm implying nothing. I'm sorry I mentioned it.
Speaker 1: What's the name of the ponn don't forget it.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't have told you about.
Speaker 1: What's the name of that pawnshop?
Speaker 2: Mara the Royal Caley? Please don't go. It's no good, Caleb. I'll tell you it's no good. You don't upset yourself, Caleb.
Speaker 8: Please, did you see it?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is it yours? Yes?
Speaker 2: Did you get it back? Did he say you've got it in?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Leave me alone?
Speaker 11: Leave me alone, really, Jeff, it was quite amusing. Pod Caleby was so befuddled.
Speaker 3: I don't like it, Myron.
Speaker 4: I mean that I don't like it's rotten trick, but I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't be foolish, Jeff. We can't just go on like this. Somebody who's got to do something. Put your cigarette out, Jeff, your cigarette out? Kiss me?
Speaker 1: Yes, so strong, Jeff, so tough.
Speaker 2: Jeff, I love you. Kendel's flowers jump. You must have the wrong house.
Speaker 1: Missus Hunt.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Missus hunts and they're for you, lady, all right, thank you, thanks lady. Who is that your flowers arrived?
Speaker 10: Flowers?
Speaker 1: Caleb?
Speaker 2: They're gorgeous or you were always wonderful adming flowers?
Speaker 1: I didn't send you any flowers, Myra, who didn't? There's a card with them. Let me see it, Caleb.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter, really, does it?
Speaker 1: Let me see that card? Caleb?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Who are they addressed to?
Speaker 2: Missus James c Hunt?
Speaker 3: Mother?
Speaker 1: But myrah mother's been dead for fifteen years.
Speaker 3: How could I.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter, Darling. They're lovely and we'll pretend that.
Speaker 10: Let me see that.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't matter, please please, Darling, don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: I think I'd better lie down, just lie down for.
Speaker 10: A little while.
Speaker 2: He was really there her music, Jeff, he couldn't believe it. Flowers to his mother after all these years.
Speaker 3: It's certainly not overburdened with conscience?
Speaker 2: Are you? I hate him, Jeff, him and his calm, handsome suffering.
Speaker 13: It's not like you.
Speaker 2: He's not not tough, not strong. It wasn't so stupid. He'd see through me. Really, The flowers stunned him addressed to his mother. She's been dead for years?
Speaker 3: How's he taking it?
Speaker 2: Just give me time, Mara.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. It's too vicious, too cruel.
Speaker 2: What's the matter with you, Jim?
Speaker 3: I don't like to see this in You're such a rotten trick.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, don't you love me?
Speaker 3: You know I love you. It's well, I hate to see you acting like this, Jeff.
Speaker 1: That's better.
Speaker 2: Now, don't worry about Caleb. Just leave everything to me.
Speaker 3: It's getting like Mara. You better go. Somebody might see you leaving the apartment building. We've got to be very careful.
Speaker 2: I don't understand you, Jeff. Well, maybe i'd better be going. We have a late night tomorrow night. Caleb and I are going to the theater. Theyday's the marvel fun getting all dressed up, isn't the kilib Oh?
Speaker 10: Where the heck of those tickets?
Speaker 2: I put them in your pocket? Down?
Speaker 1: Oh oh, yeah, here I am, thank you.
Speaker 2: Tickets.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it is fun being in a white tie game.
Speaker 1: Oh here you are, thank you sir.
Speaker 10: Maybe after the show.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, sir, these.
Speaker 1: Tickets they're yes, they're for Friday the twenty second. That was last night, sir. What are you talking about? There for last night?
Speaker 11: Sir?
Speaker 1: This is the twenty third. But that's impossible. I know there for the night. Here here, let me see him what somebody's made a mistake. The box office gave me the wrong Sorry, so you're holding up the line. If you'd like to talk to the manager just to the right of the box office.
Speaker 12: Lives can't wake up, they live?
Speaker 2: Can missus dodgeball on her clothes?
Speaker 11: Everything she left us, she's gone, can't try to remember you've done something this time.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid afraid of what what are you talking about me?
Speaker 2: I got up this morning, Missus Archibald wasn't down. I went up to waker. I thought you must have go overslept. Her room was empty, the bed had been slept in, but she's gone. And then when I came downstairs again, I found your bedroom. Slip is in the hall, covered with mudgin No, Caleb, please try to remember you were outside the house sometime during the night. Can't you remember anything?
Speaker 10: Oh, I'm afraid.
Speaker 2: Surely you couldn't get up out of bed and go outside without remembering.
Speaker 3: Some cha.
Speaker 1: I can't remember. I am so afraid.
Speaker 2: We went to bed as soon as we got home from from not going to the theater. You were asleep when I came up. Try to remember you remember that it was raining when you went to bed. Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to say, kay Myrah. Do you think I ought to go back to Windy Hill or not for long?
Speaker 10: Maybe just for a month or so.
Speaker 1: All these things I've been doing, mistakes I make every day. I do something so hard on you, But I can't go on like it.
Speaker 2: Telling nothing has happened to missus Archibald. I'll probably find her with a couple of sound call.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: You couldn't have hurt her very sadly, or she wouldn't have been able to pack on her clothes and leave. I'll found h mcgoga's made. She might.
Speaker 1: Help me help me.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 4: Night the night, Jeff very you're liable to get your throat slit.
Speaker 3: Have you heard from the Archibald woman?
Speaker 2: I think. They said that Caleb couldn't stand her around the house another moment. Every six months salary and brought her ticket for OKNS Brotherless.
Speaker 3: All I can say, myri is that I hope you never get it in for me.
Speaker 2: Don't be mean, Jeff.
Speaker 3: I may as well tell you I don't like it.
Speaker 2: You don't like it? How I see?
Speaker 3: That's so horrible. He's no one suspecting he trusts you.
Speaker 2: There's no time to go remorseful, Jeff. Anyway, after night it'll be all over.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do when need asleep.
Speaker 2: I'll put the knife in his hand and then I'll tear my knife dress and scream. He suggested twice that I let him go back to Windy Hill to night. I'll finishing. I'll phone doctor Hamil as soon as they come for him. Come over. Probably need a drink.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Myra, you can't do it.
Speaker 2: I don't want to quarrel about it now, Jeff. It's tonight or never that I'm pulling out What do you mean? I mean, I'm proving I'll say that, Jeff. I'll phone you as soon as they've taping him away. Ral don't kill me then?
Speaker 3: Oh no, you.
Speaker 1: Look let's call me.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go me h, let's go.
Speaker 12: Hell up t side.
Speaker 8: You can't go outside your pajamas.
Speaker 2: Tennis tennis Doctor Hamilton clues. Oh, yes, but what do you call missus Caleb Hunt? The moment comes in. Yes, it's very urgent. Yes, he has my number, thank you.
Speaker 6: No, wait a minute, Jim, you can't go rubbing around the pajamas through people's hedges.
Speaker 3: Let me go. You're Caleb.
Speaker 2: Mother me go.
Speaker 3: Look I'm Jeff Fence, and remember me. Listen. If you go romping around through hedges near pajamas, people think you're crazy. I am, I am crazy. No you're not.
Speaker 1: It's Myra that's.
Speaker 3: Crazy, myral.
Speaker 10: How do you know Myra.
Speaker 5: That's what's been bothering me, Caleb. That's why I came over here in the middle of the night. Look, you know, I've got to have a good long talk. My car's over there. Come back to my apartment getting some clothes. I got a few things to tell you.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna like them much, but I'm gonna tell you anyway. Oh that's the story. Halo is pretty rotten, but it's true. Too filthy a trick for an apology.
Speaker 4: So I'm not going to say I'm sorry, thanks for the clothes.
Speaker 10: I'm going now where where do you think?
Speaker 3: Look, Caleb, don't do anything that's sorry for you? What were you?
Speaker 10: What would you do in my place? Well, I'm asking you what would you do?
Speaker 1: Kid?
Speaker 7: Is that you can?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 11: Kid?
Speaker 9: If you had me so word?
Speaker 10: Did I frushing out of you like like a maniac?
Speaker 2: Terribly said?
Speaker 10: I'm touched, Mara, deeply touched.
Speaker 2: You got to come to bed.
Speaker 1: Jeff Benson gave me this jacket. Did you give it to him before I was reported missing?
Speaker 10: Or after?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 10: You had quite a chat, Benson. I got the whole story.
Speaker 1: Pawnbroker at Florest Theater box office, Missus Archibald, a waiter on the train half the city must have been working for you, trying to put me back in Windy Hill. Incidentally, Bentson sick of you. Took seven or eight drinks to make him realize just how sick. But right now he fairly shakes with nausea at the mere mention of your name.
Speaker 2: I haven't the strangest idea of what you're talking about.
Speaker 10: I should jo I'm crazy.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 10: You've driven me crazy. Myra, crazy.
Speaker 2: You know so much as a singer on me, I yellow house down.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, yell, don't get out of bed, Myra.
Speaker 1: Insane men always murdered the defenseless woman in bed. You are man, you are crazy, sure crazy. You make a pretty picture, Myra, sitting up in bed with the sheets drawn merely around you. It's not crook. I do love you, really, I do.
Speaker 2: I love you wearing.
Speaker 1: I'll choke you slowly, my insane men always do, and I am insane. I have the most wonderful alibi too. You see, I'm crazy.
Speaker 10: You convinced every one of that.
Speaker 1: So they'll just send me back to Windy Hill. That's all they can do to me.
Speaker 8: Does that hurt?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Get up?
Speaker 8: Get up?
Speaker 1: Wonderful when you try, isn't Admira?
Speaker 3: Dirty little.
Speaker 1: I kill you. I'm free, I'm well, and I feel wonderful.
Speaker 10: I want you to live.
Speaker 1: I want you to live a long long time with yourself, all alone, you and your twisted, moldy little mind.
Speaker 10: Myra.
Speaker 1: I hope you live to be ninety. You have just heard of Unsound Mind. Attraction three of Radio City Playhouse, as written and directed by Harry W. Duncan Gene Tatum was heard as Myra, Casey Allen as Caleb, and Phil Sterling as Death. The music was composed and conducted by doctor Roy Shield. Radio City Playhouse is supervised for the National Broadcasting Company by Richard P.
Speaker 10: McDonough.
Speaker 1: As you noticed tonight, that favorite program of yours, Grand Old Opry, comes to you half an hour earlier during the summer months. So tuney in one half hour earlier next week for Grand Old Opry. Then stay with us for Radio City Playhouse. Next week we present a comedy, a comedy which we hope will do more than just make you smile. We hope, in fact, we're almost sure it'll make you laugh. It's called Whistle Daughter Whistle and is written by Ernest Cannoy. We sincerely hope you will join us next Saturday for Whistle Daughter Whistle Next Saturday, Attraction four, Radio City Playhouse. Bob war I'm speaking. This is NBC, the National Broadcasting Company,