Speaker 1: One three point one, Austin's eighties station. It's the JD and Sandy Show. I can't believe I've been in Austin for thirty years and never done this, but yesterday Landry and I loaded up, went and did it. I'll tell you what that is just a sec but I want to let you know. Also, a chance for you to win a thousand bucks coming up at nine o'clock this morning.
Speaker 2: Be here for that.
Speaker 1: Also to give us a follow on Instagram and TikTok. It's at JB Sandy at X. Yesterday I went and played golf at Butler Pitching Putt and it is fantastic. I mean, it's hard to believe that there is a little bitty nine hole golf course basically in the heart of downtown Austin. It's right at riverside the Barton Springs and Lamar ducked in there kind of behind the other side of the street from Pee Terry's, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could drive by it and not notice, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd never know it was there if you didn't know. And it's a.
Speaker 1: Little bitty I think the longest hole on the entire golf course is one hundred and three yards or something like that. You go in. It's super cheap to play. Kids under eighteen seven dollars, adults fourteen dollars. You carry two golf clubs with you and just have a blast. It's awesome. And the people that run it inside the golf shop, they call it the amateur shop, because most golf courses call it a pro shop.
Speaker 2: They called.
Speaker 1: And they're just nice as can be, like, oh, yeah, first time here. We're glad you're here. Come back, you know, blah blah blah. Met A really nice couple that were here on a little short trip, a little what do you call it your anniversary trip?
Speaker 2: A young couple.
Speaker 1: They had two little girls that are four and two years old, and they were just here by themselves. They left the kids back in Georgia with her mom, paired up with them, had a great time and just walked and hit the golf ball and hit it again until you put it in the hole. But it's great, I mean, it's it doesn't matter if you can't play golf at all or not. It's really really cool.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't have that I haven't done it, but you wouldn't have that intimidation factor that you have on like a real golf course, like exactly, everyone's probably definite.
Speaker 1: And exactly, it doesn't mean anything. You're just out there to have some fun and we're really fortunate. I mean, I can't help but think and I wish my brain didn't work this way. But it's kind of like the insurance commercials. You can't help becoming your parents and you're like looking around, going, man, I wonder how much this land's worth, right, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I mean it's a big chunk of land and it's right there.
Speaker 3: It's the city. The city owns it, right. And then they did a contract to run it.
Speaker 2: Oh they did. I don't know any of.
Speaker 3: That to operate my understanding, because it changed hands just a paandful of years ago. It changed hands. This one family a don't run operated it for fifty years and some loophole in the paperwork they didn't get it in and it changed hands. But I think they from what I heard, they injected some life into it. It's great cool, Yeah, yeah, it's super cool.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, you could really make a day of it and play the pitch and put and then go across the street literally.
Speaker 2: And play Peter Pan.
Speaker 4: They have funny billboards out too, like you. And Landry sent a picture standing in front of a Ron Burgundy billboard that says stay classy, Austin, and there's like a Caddyshack billboard saying out there too.
Speaker 2: It looks very cool.
Speaker 1: It's fun. It's a great thing to do. You're done in a couple of hours too.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just it's short little holes and you have a good time. And I enjoyed it. There's a lot of fun. I'll definitely go back and play.
Speaker 2: How did your daughter play? Like?
Speaker 1: She played pretty good, actually was I was pleasantly surprised. She's trying to got to learn about putting, like learning how hard to hit it and all that stuff that just takes time.
Speaker 2: It just takes a little bit of time.
Speaker 1: But I'm glad that she's showing an interest in playing golf. And now, of course I'm going to go overboard and get her and lessons and and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: But that's probably a really good way to start, because everyone starts and all you think about is the driving range and hitting it far, when the pitching and the putting is more.
Speaker 1: Important exactly anything in real golf inside of one hundred yards is the most important part of the game, right right, So but I was just happy that Austin still has that little pitching putt right in the middle of the city that it's amazing. You don't even know it's there, you know, when you're driving around it. It's very cool and cheap and just really well run too. I wish i'd bought a hat or a T shirt or something while I was there, but just gives me a reason to go back and check it out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: What's also fun is when like this couple that we were playing with had not spent time in Austin before, so it's fun that like, where are you guys doing?
Speaker 2: Where you staying?
Speaker 1: And we got done and they were going to lunch and they were walking.
Speaker 2: They were gonna grab an uber somewhere. They were staying at the JW.
Speaker 1: Marriott downtown and I was like, hey, there's a if you haven't had barbecue yet, there's a really cool, little, funky old Austin barbecue joint literally across the street.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, it's a it's cool old Austin.
Speaker 1: I said it almost city almost lost it, but the employees just bought it back. And it's a cool hang and they were like, all right, we're gonna go do that. And so yeah, we saw him walking over to UH to greamasque and checking it out. So great job, butler, pitch and put very very good. Coming up next, JB, did you attend this gender reveal or did he about it?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't go to my own gender.
Speaker 1: But you found what might be the most annoying gender reveal party ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and hey, forgive me wherever this lands. It happened in Austin, I believe. Oh so the people on social media and I was like, no, all.
Speaker 1: Right, stay with us. JB will tell us all about it. Coming up next on Austin's Davy Station one O three point one. The world's most annoying gender reveil party apparently happened in Austin. JB's gonna tell us about it in just a moment and a quick request. Let a small public service announcement. You fireworks lovers. I know you pyromaniacs are out there. You want to snap off your lady fingers and shoot off your bottle rockets and you know do all that stuff. Can you just wait till the fourth of July. We don't need it on the third We one night, Okay, I get it.
Speaker 2: That's fine. I'll put up with it, but we don't need it all night on the third too, or the fifth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the like, I'm I'm in Austin, near downtown, so it's not a big factor.
Speaker 2: What's it? What's the ruling in Cedar Park doesn't seem to matter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 3: I just wonder if they're illegal that people are definitely firing them.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: I think it is illegal in Williamson County, and it's been we haven't had much rain.
Speaker 2: Keep that in mind, it's very dry out there.
Speaker 4: You're right, it's definitely illegal in the Austin city limits. People do not do not care about that. I'm looking up right now to see.
Speaker 1: I think Williamson County is you're not supposed to, but I think people do it anyway and it's allowed. And the i's so bad for a lot of the dogs. Yeah, some dogs that's curved to death. Did you find that?
Speaker 4: They say that some fireworks are still allowed in parts of unincorporated Williamson County, but they're encouraging people not to shoot them off within the city limits.
Speaker 2: Okay, well just save it for the fourth if you've got them.
Speaker 5: Okay, come on, you guys, let us sleep the other nights.
Speaker 2: Please, JB tell us about this gender reveal that you were ready.
Speaker 3: It showed up in my social media feed because someone I know was there. Okay, I don't know who the people are, but it was in their story and it was, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: See the look on JB's face. It's painful to even to say, right, Okay.
Speaker 3: My daughter's twenty three gender reveal was not a thing when your daughter was born fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Was that a thing?
Speaker 3: No thing, Lord, No, it's a very new thing, and it's just another reason to have another dang party and collect gifts from people.
Speaker 2: I swear. But it was on a rooftop.
Speaker 3: In downtown Austin, on a pickleball court, and they threw a ball up and hit it dust pink dust everywhere, and a bunch of twenty somethings cheering and whooping, and oh, I was like, oh gosh, you're annoying.
Speaker 5: I don't even know you when you're annoying.
Speaker 2: And those videos of these gender they're not going to age.
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna look back on those and be like, what were we thinking?
Speaker 2: Oh, why did you do that? Right?
Speaker 1: They went all out though a pickleball route on a rooftop. Yeah, is that one of those fancy buildings downtown today?
Speaker 2: Is that common to have a pickle Yes? I don't know. They're popping up everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't have a pickleball court.
Speaker 2: Or never played it.
Speaker 5: You never played it either, No, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying I wouldn't. I just wouldn't be annoying about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, friends who love pickleball so much they built their own court in their backyard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: That's your neighbors. It's the most annoying sound.
Speaker 5: Oh that's right, your friend.
Speaker 3: I have a friend in Tarrytown and the and the very wealthy family that combined like three lots put a pickleball cork right up against her fence, and so she has to listen to that on the evenings like it's a it's a it's just an annoying sound.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So but it was there having a girl these people, Hey, I guess so cutting to the ball boy, you know, I and Tricia said she would have full on had a gender rebel party. But she's gonna look like a single mom at it because I wanted to go to it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's I'm not up to I'm not up to the rules on gender reveals. Again, it wasn't a thing when my daughter was born. But do they do a because so there's blue and pink? Is there a non binary red dust?
Speaker 4: Would it be get a yellow cake? Wouldn't be clear? When I said I would have done it. That was back when the gender rebel was simply slicing a cake and the inside of the cake was blue or pink. This was before the fireworks that like burnt hundreds and hundreds of acres at a gender rebeal gone wrong. This was before the pickleball. This was before the gender reveals got ridiculous. I would have been happy with the little cake slice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't have anything to do with it. Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: It's embarrassing, just embarrassing all the way around. And everyone's just trying to top each.
Speaker 3: Other with it too, right, and they want to go viral right, It's yeah, it's not about Okay, that might have been cute, but it's about going viral online.
Speaker 2: It's not just.
Speaker 3: About you and your partner and your friends. It's more than that. Yeah, it's like the pompost It's probably what they said, this is going to be great content. Yeah right, you're right.
Speaker 4: It's like pomposals. Nobody just asks anymore. You have to do something big and crazy for.
Speaker 2: A problem disposal. Oh guys, stop it stopping.
Speaker 5: And he's always like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: They are going to be so embarrassed down the road when this video comes back around.
Speaker 5: They are, some of them are a little cringey, but they're gonna be like, what was I thinking to do?
Speaker 2: To do that?
Speaker 1: To ask this girl to go to prom with me by filling her car up with em and m's and Skittles.
Speaker 5: I would love that so much.
Speaker 1: But the funny one was there was a funny one with a kid that played hockey, one of the kids that Landry goes to school with.
Speaker 2: What did he do?
Speaker 5: Oh? Okay, what did he do?
Speaker 4: He somehow incorporated a bad word into his question?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What was it?
Speaker 5: And it was like, only.
Speaker 2: Problem with me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's when each kid hold a letter a letter, it would be fucking great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, I just found an article on some of the new trends for parents. These are newer things. These did not exist when our children were born. Conception announcements. Couples are now sharing IVF success, embryo transfer day, or even ovulation test results as a pre pregnancy announcement.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Name reveal parties are a thing.
Speaker 3: Name reveals, ultrasound three D scan viewing parties are now a thing?
Speaker 2: What registry reveal are now a thing? And there's one more, the nursery reveal.
Speaker 4: Oh, how you decorated it? So it's really nothing to do with the baby at all. It is just to do with you getting all of the attention about all the things that you're doing. An ovulation reveal party?
Speaker 2: Is that like that your mucus plug is there?
Speaker 5: Nothing but the way before the new plugs.
Speaker 2: Mucus plug, the mucus plugs.
Speaker 4: When you're about to give birth, that's when you know you better hurry it up. It's when your mucus plug shoots out. How about see section scar reveal? Come on, first breastfreading reveal Whether or not you pooped or did not poop on the table during birth reveal?
Speaker 2: What do I call that first poop?
Speaker 5: Marconium reveal the crusty belly button reveal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so gross.
Speaker 1: If you think about all of this, having a baby is disgusting, It really is. It's really really gross.
Speaker 2: Isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't recommend it, but it's worth it. I have a my nephew, just and he and his girlfriend are going to have a baby. And I sent him a text. I said, congratulations, your life is about to change for the better. But it's about to change a whole lot.
Speaker 2: A whole lot.
Speaker 1: HiT's the JV and Sandy Show on Austin' Dades station. What three point one? It wasn't that long ago that you went to the hill country just to climb up and chanted rock, maybe hit a little shop or two in Fredericksburg. Now it's all about the hill country wineries. And this has been growing over the years. It's there now they're now calling have you heard it?
Speaker 3: They're calling Fredericksburg the Aspen of Texas really really because of the private jets wind up to come in and out for the weekend.
Speaker 2: They have a little airstrip out there. I guess so, huh, I guess so.
Speaker 3: And people come in for you know, to go bop around and do wine tastings and shop, you know, there's some newer hotels there. It's quite I mean it's always been a, you know, a pretty good Texas destination, but now it's like over the top.
Speaker 2: It used to be huge at Christmas.
Speaker 1: I remember Christmas time in fred Without, you know, a quaint little German town that's decorated up and all that.
Speaker 2: The shopping and stuff.
Speaker 1: But there's a winery now in Johnson City that is luring the people in that don't even love wine with a classic ghost story.
Speaker 5: Yes this I do not drink wine.
Speaker 4: But if all of the wineries were lined up and this was one of my options to go to, I would choose this one for this reason alone. The Charleston Taylor Estate Winery, it's only been open for like a month. I feel like they're like, we got to figure out how to get some of these winery people into our place. The owners said that they discovered a forty foot deep well from the eighteen hundreds on the grounds, and they said that when you lean over it, you can hear a woman's voice coming from the bottom of the well. So they were so convinced they heard somebody. They had a New Orleans guy, a ghost hunter from New Orleans.
Speaker 2: He came in Orleans ghost hunter.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I've let a ghost of New Orleans any kind of that weird kind of stuff on their vampires too. Yeah yeah, he said absolutely. There is a woman at the bottom of this well. It is a ghost, and she sounds drunk, is what the ghost hunter said. So the next thing that these owners did was they filled up a bucket full of wine, lowered it down into the well, and when they brought it back up, half the wine was gone.
Speaker 2: You guys, that doesn't convince you have a ghost. I don't know what will I mean?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: They named the ghost Stephanie too, and visitors can come and enjoy Stephanie's company.
Speaker 2: I would have named her Jessica.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the well the baby that's fell down the well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, baby Jessica captivated a nation.
Speaker 5: I remember that.
Speaker 1: So this is uh, this is a new place in Johnson City. They just happened to have a ghost named Stephanie. They brought in a ghost hunter from New Orleans and they made this brilliant Yeah right, I'd go, yeah, there's no disproving it.
Speaker 4: No, that guy from New Orleans confirmed it. I mean, I don't know what more you need. Yeah, but this would make you leaned over, said I hear it too. You would go, trush, I would go. I absolutely would go. I'd probably drink wine and feel like crap the next day too, because since I was there, right.
Speaker 2: But I'd go for the ghost. Aren't there ghost tours in Austin though, Yeah, there is.
Speaker 3: There's a I see a promotional vehicle vehicle for one on South Congress all the time that it's a it's a hearst like Austin Haunted Tours or something like that. Yeah, that's a thing. There's some walking haunted tours. Yeah, it starts eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: I found it, Austin Ghost Tours starting at eight o'clock from the dress Gold which forever people.
Speaker 3: Also haunted, right easy, They've talked about being haunted that bar in that elevator, an old elevator, and say, yeah, there's a fewer because there were, you know there. It seems to be like from that heyday of uh of like brothels and prohibition. Yeah, yeah, that was that was a good time to turn into a ghost. Was the preferred ghost type? That was? Yeah, that was Like we were talking earlier about gender reveals being a trend.
Speaker 2: That was a trend. Then I'm going to become a ghost.
Speaker 1: There's the Lizzie Bordon Ghost Tours too. Was she the one that was killed at the Driscol I don't know, I don't know. That name sounds familiar. See was she one of the Annihilators? I guess that's my question. One of the annihilators?
Speaker 3: Oh from the Servant Killer Annihilator. Yeah, that was the first who terrorized Clarksville. Clarksville in the late eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right. Well, what was the name of the Johnson City play eas, Tricia?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 5: Hold on, let me get back over to it.
Speaker 4: The Charleston Taylor Estate Winery only been open for a month, Johnson City.
Speaker 2: They're doing some good marketing, that's for sure. Smart it is.
Speaker 5: This is the JB and Sandy Show podcast. You can listen live every morning on one oh three point one in Austin, or stream the show on the iHeartRadio app.