Speaker 1: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, the original and immortal stories of Sir Arthur holand Doyle dramatized the new with Sir Ralph Richardson as Doctor Watson and Sir John Gildard in the role of Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, I think I may have shown in the course of these narratives of mine that the exploits of my friend Sherlock Holmes ranged from affairs.
Speaker 3: Of the humblest order to matters concerning the very highest.
Speaker 4: In the land.
Speaker 3: Of the latter. There are many which perhaps can.
Speaker 2: Never be told for reasons of diplomacy or even scandal, And in those of camp gates and names sometimes must be disguised, even now, particularly in the unusual inventor.
Speaker 3: Which I have called the second.
Speaker 4: Well, Missus Hudson, using little lower order, I may say, so.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's the gentleman, sir, the two gentlemen to see you writing downstairs.
Speaker 3: Well, we've seen gentlemen.
Speaker 4: Befomance is yes.
Speaker 1: Our lives would hardly be economically possible without our visiting plans.
Speaker 5: Mister doctor rot Seaters, take a street, my humble come, Missus Hudson.
Speaker 4: Not the Prince of Wales. What part of it's the time, minister the Chinese?
Speaker 3: Well, well, my dear home, you're drinking down.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, take take the killing my jacket, my jet fellow him say him up, must find it.
Speaker 6: It's a way to me.
Speaker 3: So into our humble city room we call a too great m.
Speaker 2: Lord Bellinger Potenier and his companion respect from your chairman affairs the right.
Speaker 4: Honorable to Lornier hope. Gentlemen, I think that I may have the honor to be in some service to you.
Speaker 1: You are only hatiness to home a time is a suggested. He was done at the moment I told him about it.
Speaker 4: For love.
Speaker 1: It's impossible for a Scot the police the full lost serny Yes.
Speaker 4: To inform the police would be to inform the public, and.
Speaker 3: That is what in particularly desire to avoid it.
Speaker 1: An important strict document is looking this way while in mister helped the GT. It is of such importance that peace or war may hang upon the issue. I understand, my lord, but this gentleman, your companion Dr Watson is in my confidence and able to I undertake. Indeed, it is really almost impossible for me to embark upon a case withoutsm you can rely upon.
Speaker 3: His discretion implicitly to the very utmost jalable.
Speaker 4: I promised it very well. Then it's a letter, mister Holmes.
Speaker 3: I can tell you that it's a letter from from a certain foreign person.
Speaker 1: Takes as the homes let us leave it, though quite so for the moment at least were when was it received?
Speaker 4: May I have six days ago?
Speaker 7: It was so important that I had never even left it in my safe. I'd taken it across each evening to my house in Whitehall. Tell I kept it in a lofty best box in my bedroom. It was there last night. You are certain of that, Quite certain. I opened the box while I was dressing for dinner and saw it there. This morning it was gone, the box itself, no, only the letter. My wife and I are both liked sleepers, mister Holmes were both pot had to swear that no one could have entered the room during the night, And yet the paper's gone. What time do you dine, the hope half past seven? And how long was it before you went to bed? My wife had gone to the theater. I waited up for her.
Speaker 4: It was half past eleven before we retired to our room. Then for four hours the box had lain unguarded.
Speaker 1: No one is ever permitted to enter that room except two trusted servants who are beyond suspicion. Who else knew of the existence of that letter? No one in the heart, not your why knows. I said nothing to her until I missed the paper this morning. Is there anyone else, my Lord in England, who could possibly know of the existence of this letter?
Speaker 4: Only the members of the Cabinet, mister Holmes, but all under the pledge.
Speaker 8: Of secrecy which attends every cabinet meeting and abroad. I believe no one saved the man who wrote it, And may I ask his name, mister Holmes.
Speaker 3: The envelope is a long, thin one of a pale blue color.
Speaker 4: That is all I think the two hate to know.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm quite aware that you are two of the busiest men in the Come try and in my own small way, I have a good many calls upon my time by regret exceedingly that I cannot have seen this matter?
Speaker 4: Watson? Who kind her in the boninster hose? How dare you? I am not a c.
Speaker 1: H Very well, we must accept your term aspose, no doubt, it is unreasonable or us to expect you to act without our entire confidence.
Speaker 4: Thank you, my lord. Praise it down again, Watson Ah.
Speaker 1: Now, then, gentlemen, the letter is from a certain foreign potentate who has been raffled by some recent colonial developments in this subject. It was written hurriedly and in anger on his own responsibility entirely, and his ministers know nothing about it. You mean his highness to come, Prince of Minister, Very well, sir, let me write it down on this sip of paper.
Speaker 4: Am I correct, my lord? Quite correct? And you'll see it once.
Speaker 1: The implications if that documents should fall into the hands of any other chancery in Europe, a breach will be laid between this personated out.
Speaker 4: Autrey, with fatal consequences you must find at home. Great heavens you must, sir, my full suret at any one. I shall do my best to help you, mister Hope. I can do no more.
Speaker 1: But if the set occurred last night before you retired, as it must have done, the paper must at this moment be speeding on its way to the continent as fast as steam can take it. There's only one course open to you. What is it? Do prepare for war, my lord, I shall do what I can, but at least prepare for war. Good day, Genson, What do you intend to do? There are several foreign agents, big names among the international spy ring. If one of them should be missing, actually, if he disappeared since last night, we shall then have some indication of where the letter may have gone.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yes, But if none of them is missing, jem, we can take it. As the letter hasn't left the country yet. That would be something of a miracle. And in that case, well I might be able to get it back. After all, I have the whole British treasury behind me. If it's on the market, I'll buy it back, even if it means another penny on the income jet huh.
Speaker 3: But who who are the likely agents?
Speaker 1: Only three that are big enough Oberstein, La Rotia and Eduardo Lucas.
Speaker 4: M oh oh, dear fellow, Look, so why what a sonata?
Speaker 3: Heaven knows you've astonished me more.
Speaker 1: Than once with some spectacular announcement. Now it might turn Eduardo Lucas.
Speaker 3: Hose you said, Lucas.
Speaker 1: I think, there's of course of the dolphins, see exactly, I won't see Lucas homes And why not pray it was murdered.
Speaker 4: In his house last night. You don't mean it. I was reading about it before our visited the ride.
Speaker 3: It was a Lucas, the well.
Speaker 2: Known society planner and distinguished amateur tenor, murdered.
Speaker 4: Most bootle by a knife in the heart.
Speaker 1: What, sir, an amazing coincidence, home coincidence, man, Great heavens, you can't really mean it.
Speaker 2: And a moment later, our modest apartment, already so distinguished that morning, was further honored by the entrance of.
Speaker 3: The loveliest woman in London.
Speaker 4: Nay in the world.
Speaker 2: I'd often heard of the beauty of the youngest daughter of the baucul Dowminster, but no description, no contemptation of a lifeless photograph, had prepared me for the subtle, delicate.
Speaker 9: Charm and the beautiful modeling of that exquisite good. And I am not, I think without taste, as the judgments have been. Yet that morning, the lovely cheek was paled with emotion. The eyes were bright, but with the brightness of fever of terror.
Speaker 4: I said, has my husband been yere? Yes, madam, you to say nothing to him of this visit of mine.
Speaker 1: Say the hill that you placed me in a very delicate positions given the most deplorable occurrence.
Speaker 5: To our house last night. You must know, but but think it was the political matter my husband was tooles to take me into his greatly confidence.
Speaker 4: Indeed, yes, with that missing madam, that is something I can at answer. If your husband thinks fit to keep you in the dark, it is harder for me to tell you.
Speaker 1: I am pleasure to professional secrecy.
Speaker 3: Well tell me at least then, for heaven sad, is my.
Speaker 5: Husband's professional career likely to suffer through an interview?
Speaker 4: Yes, I fear so. It's the home from something that my.
Speaker 5: Husband said when he first discovered the last this morning night.
Speaker 4: Please go on.
Speaker 5: I understand the terrible public consequences might rise in the lot of this document.
Speaker 4: Perhaps even.
Speaker 3: What you said, sir Lady Hill, that it is not for me to deny.
Speaker 4: Won't you tell me to home? I employ you?
Speaker 5: What was that looking paper? Then I must take up no more of your time. I can't blame you if you say you can't speak more freely. The latter must have been that he's grave and you before you would ever consult me, And I'm sure you weren't do the work of you for wanting to.
Speaker 3: Share my husband's anxiety.
Speaker 5: Even against your will, I can only get you once again to say nothing of my vision.
Speaker 4: It would only ridy him the more good day. Well, well, wasn't that oft the fair Sex? Watson? That is your department? I think you know when you finished gazing.
Speaker 1: Out of the window to get a last glimpse of our emigant charmer. Perhaps you will be kind enough to tell me what you think she came for.
Speaker 4: Siry, He don't mistake.
Speaker 3: Not was clear on our homes. Anxiety was very natural.
Speaker 1: Her doubt, if you must have observed how very prettily she maneuvered her chair so as to keep her back to the light.
Speaker 3: She didn't want us to read her expression.
Speaker 4: Waston, Well, good morning, Watson. But what are you going home? Just for a little while? It's too good Dolphin Street.
Speaker 1: I think our friendless trade of the yard is shut it at there by.
Speaker 3: This time Edouard old Lucas murdered their lives.
Speaker 1: A solution, Watson, do you stay on guard here, my dear fellow, and receive any further distinguished visitors who may honor our humble of good last time away. I'll join you for lunch Watson cutlets and.
Speaker 4: Green peas, if you could think of that.
Speaker 2: I felt a sense of pending doom as I watched London from our window going about it being beauty. I respected that any moment the newsboys would cry havoc and the flower by youth go marching off the wall.
Speaker 3: As to the murder of Lucas, that remained.
Speaker 2: As much a mystery as the test of the document. He'd been stabbed to the heart with a curved oriental dagger, a trophy that hung on the wall of his room. It seems that nothing has been stolen. An examination of his papers disclosed him as a keen student of international politics.
Speaker 4: That was all. Then, well we've solved it, mister Holmes in thes trade, have you?
Speaker 6: Why not the We have our method too.
Speaker 4: You know he's a murder.
Speaker 3: Home doesn't have a murder.
Speaker 4: Oh more, missus, mister Home, what's in the wind? But hear nothing nothing? Watch who's just wool gathering that till kay or the minced miss my dear fellow. I was going to suggest we went round there to the Dolphin Street.
Speaker 1: There's a little something with mood interest Uh huh, Well, touching the trade, I think you said just.
Speaker 6: Now that you sold the world near It makes no matter.
Speaker 10: We get telegrams from the parish police Kars. Seems this Lucas fellow has been a bit of a dog in any time, very handsome, kind of Chaplin show. For he's been living a double life. It seems he had a wife in Paris. Well, he's been going at a bit in London, you know, one way to know. So we weren't think she got Jimmy. According to the parish feller, she's gone quite mad. And it was a tablet that she did in London on the night of the murder you will see near Godolphin's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it could only have been some kind of coincidence that that, otherwise the thing would have been public property by this time.
Speaker 4: See what he did? Miss so likes me your mind hardly on the business.
Speaker 3: I don't thought it would have.
Speaker 4: Appealed to you. Nothing said nothing of Paull. What was it you said just now? I didn't trust me over at Lucas's house, I the one will you tell me?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 4: Nothing very important, you know, just freakish.
Speaker 6: We best go round to the house and I show you you too, doctor right, rather in your life.
Speaker 4: As well oh further, Oh god, you know I might eve her in care. It's the mystery of the sick and stain, gentleman. The murder solved, but.
Speaker 3: The still a mystery of the sit in.
Speaker 6: Same man, come in, there's sounds to get also. See Ah then, mister.
Speaker 4: Home Watson, he's a very room. He's where he was murder. Uh huh. Indeed, now look here he's the rug, mister. Now just look at that rug.
Speaker 6: Gentlemen, we see where there's a crime of this sort, where they careful to keep any in positional.
Speaker 4: They've had an officer in charge here day night. But so I noticed him as we came in. Now then we didn't notice the.
Speaker 6: Tiny heat up a bit.
Speaker 4: Today now the body's build and touching the whole thing. So well, the rug isn't passing down if he only just.
Speaker 1: Made there and we occasions and waited and we found the blood stain.
Speaker 6: There's a bud stain on the run.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, then I break your that message through its amass. And guess you'll be surprised, doctor, for there isn't a stain on the white woodwork, the least the corston. But for the mustness trade, it's impossible so you'd say, so, look at the underside of.
Speaker 4: The rug the stains. He happens, Yes, there isn't a mark on the front. Now, then there's a stain on my woodwork.
Speaker 6: But since I never part of the rug altogether, what do you make of that?
Speaker 1: Eh, I'll come home. You don't think to be changed? Oh, it's it's simple enough, surely. But two stains did correspond. But the rugs being turned round, we hardly need mister Holmes his famous epos to tell a that doctor. Watch it now, the dearest stage. You say that the comfortable out there being in a constant charge of display.
Speaker 4: Yes, and then take my.
Speaker 1: Adbachelor's trade, go out and the examine him privately. To do it here before I see away from this room, ask him how he prays to a strange people.
Speaker 4: And leave him alone in this room. No, no, no, dark, don't tell him take it for granted? What by Lord, if he has, I'll get it out of him. You mean, I mean, hurry man, how he jo what?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 4: What in Heaven's name get off that rug?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: What do you mean the rug? Pull away the rug?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 4: Turn me to right there?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 1: Quick, examin braw need there must see a kevity here, kevity, what do you mean? Hold bored man? War born han look for a loose one? Yeah, I thought it was more trace. It's a it's a kind of kind of shafeya ah resmpty, I.
Speaker 4: Might have known. Keep the rugging place again, quick and water park it coming back quick, quick off. That's all right.
Speaker 1: Well you are right, mister home my personally has confessed and party, sir, I'm really sorry. I never meant any harm. I never said you're did what happened? A young woman, sir, came to the door last night, it was and they took the house, she said, And then we got talking. It's kind of lonesoming, her duty, you know. And well, man speak up. So she asked if she could.
Speaker 4: See where the crime was donned certainly cleary harm if she just had a.
Speaker 1: Piece and you letting her in here? Eh, well, she said, coaxing waiter. Then when you saw the blood, you speak okay, the kind of a painted her right down on the rugs here to she and d And so we went to get some water. I suppose to bring her round, yes, from the kid can downstairs. And she was all right when I came back, and then she went away. I didn't need any harms.
Speaker 4: Love, he MacPerson. Did you heard anything about the rug when you came back? Here the run?
Speaker 1: We say it was a big kind of rumples? Quick she sail. So I've just taken this daughter. I see MacPerson. Come over here, would you? I want to show you something. Excuse me a moment, gentleman. Now look here Macpherson.
Speaker 3: It's photograph. Do you recognize it?
Speaker 4: Good lord?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir?
Speaker 4: How did you know? Never mind? Come what? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Thank you, comfortable Macpherson. You've inspired me man, and perhaps you've saved your country to.
Speaker 4: Ok. Here, mister you too, let's trade, of course.
Speaker 1: My dead Congratulations, Good day, gentlemen, congratulations, good day.
Speaker 3: I hurried after him as his most typical, he's.
Speaker 1: Most excited, as he was at the climax of all his great solutions.
Speaker 2: I could only marvel, could only share the excitement of the extraordinary man by my side as we were ushered into the Great House in Whitehall Terrace and waited for Lady Hilda.
Speaker 5: This is surely makes unfair and ungenerous of you. I amplorage you to keep out his insulation the secret.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, Lady Hilda. I had no possible alternative but to visit you in pursuit of my commission from the Prime Minister. I know everything, Lady Hilda. I know of the orbvigit to Eduardo Lucas when you gave him that document. I know two of your ingenious to return to his room last night, and the device for you you was to get the letter back again from its hiding place under the rug.
Speaker 4: You're mad, mister.
Speaker 3: No, no, Lady Hilda, I have no wish.
Speaker 4: To cause you pain or to reproach you for your rash behavior.
Speaker 1: But the policeman on duty recognized from a photograph that I should you.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, he has It's true.
Speaker 3: Why did you take it?
Speaker 4: Madam? Quickly quickly as the time of short. Let me. Unless I wrote long ago.
Speaker 5: When I was a girl, it was all as understanding. Isn't it coming to my husband's hands? It would have broken in heart.
Speaker 3: Lucas got hold of that somehow.
Speaker 5: Yes, I had no idea. He was sat a man he always seek this charming. Then one day he told me that he had that letter of mine and that I had only had a Sadly, I took him in exchange of certain documents from my husband's a fast box. Any one you see him again, yare well he did. It was all quite harmless, a kind of joke. I wouldn't really make this skill. I took an impression of a me and Lucas had a duplicate name, and I took the.
Speaker 4: Paper to his help.
Speaker 1: And what happened there, Ladyholder, It was like a horrible dude as I I saw a woman watching the house, a training dark woman.
Speaker 4: I gave look at the paper, and he gave me my letter. Then there was a sound at the door. You look put out the.
Speaker 5: Work and pushed the paper into a hiding pape there, and then the door burst open, and the woman came in. And when I see it outside, she was screaming something about at last I found you with her. I ran out in a panic, and the last I saw was that she left together, down from the wall and with mushy headed like a bottle tad. I can't go.
Speaker 1: I suppose you realize next day the paper was more important than you thought.
Speaker 6: Yes, that is why I came to you.
Speaker 5: I saw a ruin the face of it, the whole world in arms because of myself.
Speaker 4: Someone is coming home.
Speaker 5: I know I can't face in the n I do you.
Speaker 4: Told your story? Well, lady Hilda, quickly give me the letter and the keys. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: Watson passed at the fat box now here down among the other papers.
Speaker 4: Get deep down, good, good, Now we are ready for it.
Speaker 3: Go quickly, Lady Hilda.
Speaker 4: You have a doll there, compose your help.
Speaker 3: All will be well.
Speaker 5: Heaven.
Speaker 4: Let your boy. Mister Holmes, they told me you were here.
Speaker 3: What news?
Speaker 4: I have good news, sir, But don't jet you here? You mean you have the paper, mister Holmes. Not, yes, my lord, that is why I am here. What do you mean?
Speaker 1: I'm not convinced, mister Hope, of the papers ever left.
Speaker 4: This house at all, but it's impossible.
Speaker 3: If it had, it would have been made.
Speaker 4: Public by this time. No, gentleman is still here.
Speaker 3: I think you have my assurance that.
Speaker 1: It left the box, mister Home, I'm not convinced even a bead Sir, Come.
Speaker 4: And joking it you'll time. It's not worthy of you.
Speaker 1: The doctor's there, Hope. It's easily enough decided, mister Holmes. If you're joking on sacony, you will never joke.
Speaker 4: Claud Bell and Joy as.
Speaker 1: The doctor Watson will tell you sing the third A sports from Lord's Meadow and memorandum from bell Grain note from Madrid to reports of.
Speaker 4: With him a Lord Alon, the blue envelope and the letter intact.
Speaker 7: It's inconceivable and you're a sporus, And mister Home, how did you know it was there?
Speaker 4: Because I knew it could be no wallow. I would tell my wife Hilla Hill the idea.
Speaker 1: All well, mister Holmes, Oh, mister Sherlock Holmes, there's more in this than meet the either.
Speaker 4: How did it come there?
Speaker 3: You must allow it to keep.
Speaker 1: Our little diplomatic secret. Good debut, my lord, I am all who was at george service and at the service of my country on the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, based on the original stories of Sir Arthur Coman Doyle, have been dramatized and new with original music composed by Sidney Torch. Sir Ralph Richardson played the part of doctor Watson and Sir John Gilgood that of Sherlock Holmes. The program was produced by Harry Allen Towers