Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Well, let's get right to it. They're calling it a face off in the Oval Office between President Trump and Canadian Prime Minister the new guy, Mark Carney elected because everyone up there hates the other guy sitting across from him.
Speaker 2: Today it's where we kick off swamp Watch.
Speaker 3: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 2: The other side never quits.
Speaker 5: So what I'm not going anywhere So.
Speaker 6: That now you drain the swat, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been. You know, Americans have always been going at President.
Speaker 7: They're not scupid.
Speaker 8: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the.
Speaker 6: Truth whether people voted for you were not swamp watch. They're all count of on.
Speaker 8: Not a giant surprise, But this was mostly cordial, this Oval Office meeting between President Trump and the new Prime Minister of Canada, Mark Karney. President Trump, for example, talked about some of the great things that come from Canada.
Speaker 4: Canada is a very special place to make I know so many people that live in Canada. My parents had relatives that lived in Canada, my mother in particular, And no, I love Canada a lot. I have a lot of respect for the Canadians, Wayne Gretzky.
Speaker 1: This reminded me of love actually when it was the American president and the British Prime Minister talking about David Beckham's right foot, I mean, just so kitchen.
Speaker 8: There is so much about the shared history of these two countries together, obviously, but Mark Carney comes into this knowing that Trump has for many months now said that Canada would benefit from being the fifty first state of the United States.
Speaker 9: As you know from real estate, there are some ps that are never for sale. We're sitting in one right now, you know, bucking and Pallace. You visit it as well, And having met with the owners of Canada over the course of the campaign last several months, it's not for sale, won't be for sale.
Speaker 1: Ever, this sounded weird the way he said owners of Canada like just the voters or what have you?
Speaker 6: Right, but he made it.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, this guy is not a great orator.
Speaker 8: You've been around, You've been around friends who come into the evening it a disagreement, right, you know. You go going out with the friends and it turns out that Josie and Biff were fighting in the car, maybe on the way, and then they show up and they're pretending like everything is just fine, and they're like, yeah, well, your mother in law's breath wait, that'd be my mother. My mother in law's breath smells like onions and pickles. And then she goes, oh does it that's too bad because your mom's breath smells like oh.
Speaker 2: Never really about them?
Speaker 8: Is ever about the moms? And it's always this is the kind of thing where this is. This is it's Mark Carney's opportunity to show to the people of Canada that he is willing and capable of standing up to Donald Trump, because that's what they elected him for, is they want him to stand up to Donald Trump. And Donald Trump owns that room. He just owns that room no matter who is in it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they want him to stand up to Trump so much as we're not going to take you seriously, you're not a serious person and anything that you say is not going to be it's not going to land with any sort of gravitas. After he said it was not for sale, Trump shot back, time we'll tell. A reporter asked if there was anything Carney could tell him to lift his tariffs of as much as twenty five percent on Canada, and Trump bluntly said no.
Speaker 2: Now, Trump went into.
Speaker 1: This thing blasting on truth social we need nothing from Canada, we need nothing, We need nothing from you.
Speaker 2: We have all the things. All we need is friendship.
Speaker 8: Well, and he said specific in response to that question from the reporter, he was talking specifically about the timeline. He said, there's nothing he could say today that's going to make me change this. And Mark Karney went on to say, yes, this is a lengthier, bigger discussion that would be involved when it comes to the tariffs. And that's with our that's with one of our biggest trading partners in the entire world.
Speaker 6: Imagine what we're going to have to do with others.
Speaker 1: The two sat there in the chairs and looked at each other and nodded at each other, with both thought bubbles being oh, bless your heart, where Trump is looking at Canada as not even the JV team, maybe the Frosh team, and Carney looking at Trump like he is a simple minded buffoon.
Speaker 2: Both thought bubbles said.
Speaker 8: Oh, bless your heart, We'll look at you. There was a side note, a California side note to all of this. President Trump blasted the ongoing turmoil that is the high speed rail project in California.
Speaker 4: It's the worst cost over and I've ever seen. I've watched a lot of stupid people build a lot of stupid things, but that's the worst cost over and I've ever seen what's happening between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: It is awful.
Speaker 1: But you know what, and I stick to my freaking statement I made yesterday. Reopening Alcatraz as a prison is just as dumb as the high speed rail project. It makes about as much sense, it's about as much necessary as that, and it's a pit.
Speaker 2: It's a money pit, both projects.
Speaker 8: If you know somebody who is using an AI chat bot for I don't know, relaxation or entertainment or therapy, it's time to step in. It's time to intervene because this is a very bad.
Speaker 6: If we're going out yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Would you admit it if you were using an AI chatbot as your friend, as your confidant.
Speaker 2: I mean, you wouldn't tell me.
Speaker 8: I would just make up a name and talk about how that person tells me things that I should say to you that you would not.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 8: It's all those KFI listeners who are teachers making a positive impact on kids' lives, or nurses working hard to keep us safe and healthy. KFI and Stonefire Grill want to treat you and your family to dinner a little bit later in the show. In fact, we're going to be given away one hundred dollars Stonefire gift card.
Speaker 10: My name is Michael, and I work with some of the most amazing nurses that you could ever come across.
Speaker 6: Period.
Speaker 10: You work with hospice nurses every day, and these ladies and men have the heart of an angel. Period. As end of life specialists. They are there day in and day out to help people find their way home. Period. God bless them.
Speaker 1: Thank you don't have to say period, but amen. You know I am afraid of using the voice to text thing. I've never used it because I don't know. I don't know what's gonna.
Speaker 6: You've heard what comes out of your mouth that and yeah.
Speaker 1: I need I need it to be a thought and then it needs to come out and then I need to proofrate it before I hit seven.
Speaker 6: There needs to.
Speaker 8: Be a speed bump between between the brain and the mouth.
Speaker 1: I had one of each in the home. My dad was a teacher, my mom was a nurse. Brother's a plumber, and I brought nothing to the family.
Speaker 8: We you bring joy and I'm making things up.
Speaker 2: You bring Thank you very much, very sweet.
Speaker 6: So anyway, this meta AI app last week.
Speaker 8: Was launched by Mark Zuckerberg, who I have yet to determine if I think he's one of the brilliant minds of our time or if he is ushering in the apocalypse.
Speaker 2: Well that's what they're all doing, right, Well.
Speaker 6: I don't understand.
Speaker 8: I mean, this guy is a parent, and I look at it as from that perspective when we talk about things like meta AI. This is a dedicated home for the AI chatbot that exists in all of the meta products the Facebook, the Instagram, WhatsApp, et cetera. It is now number two on the iPhone download charts, and it's promising you a more personalized AI with tailored answers and.
Speaker 6: Advice.
Speaker 1: The person who wrote this article says, the first time I opened the app, I asked it to describe me in three emojis, and it could by drawing on years of personal information tracked by its sister apps, Facebook and Instagram.
Speaker 8: They also said that he found out that it built what it refers to as a memory file about me, or as they said in Westworld Reveries that said that their interests included natural fertility techniques, divorce, child custody, a payday loan, and the laws about tax evasion, and that by default, Meta AI keeps a copy of everything I say to it. Now, if you have one of those personalized devices in your home, for example, that you scream at to ask what the temperature is going to be outside, or what the weather's going to be like tomorrow, or what time it is, you also, by default, in many cases, give that company the ability to record and store everything that you ask your little device.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't like that thing in my home. It's listening to every single thing you say all the time. I only have one in the bathroom that's.
Speaker 2: Where you do your real communication.
Speaker 6: No, no, it's where we do the least amount of communication.
Speaker 8: I would say, if it's in the kitchen, or if it's watching TV with us or whatever.
Speaker 2: No, it's smart. But but what does she do for you in the bathroom?
Speaker 6: Nothing? My wife yells at her and demands to know.
Speaker 8: What the temperature is, like whether to if she's is it a sweater day?
Speaker 9: Is it?
Speaker 2: Does us say? The name is Amanda?
Speaker 6: Amanda?
Speaker 2: Really, I've never heard your voice your wife's tone?
Speaker 1: Do that?
Speaker 6: You've never been in my bathroom? For one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you have, well the bathroom downstairs.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, but there's not anyone in there. Now that's where we keep the camera, but that's not where we.
Speaker 2: Have the because that's what you want to see.
Speaker 6: So she put money on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all here my husband being like Amanda, Amanda, like the like the tone you'd use with a bad kid. Amanda, Amanda, like are you listening?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, whoa.
Speaker 8: I always because it bothers my wife, I will say hey girl.
Speaker 6: To respond.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you are one of the people who wants this app Hi, Fred Rogan.
Speaker 10: How are you?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's good to see your face. That's excellent news.
Speaker 6: We will be here too.
Speaker 1: If you've gone in and downloaded this app because you want the AAI personal bought experience, be careful because yes, they're listening to everything.
Speaker 2: Everything you share is public.
Speaker 1: There is no button to share only with your Facebook and Instagram friends or over a direct message. So if you're sharing it, you're sharing it for everyone everyone.
Speaker 6: And don't forget there are kids in the house.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they are much more savvy when it comes to this kind of technology than you are. And if they're a little concerned or shy about asking you questions about something, they're going to ask this unfiltered computer about it, and that unfiltered computer is going to tell them whatever they want to know.
Speaker 1: This is early AI, right, so they're using everything to make it better. So everything, all all your chats they're training metas ai. This AI will remember everything, a transcript or a voice recording of every conversation you have with it. It's hooked into Facebook and Instagram. This is all also terrifying. Makes you want to touch anything, and oh yes, follow the money. Your chats can be used for ads. They're going to tailor all the ads more so than they already are to you. Yeah, this is the makes me want to buy nothing. By the way, I have such a contrarian that I have that response. The more tailor the ads get to me of exactly what I want, the more I'm not buying anything.
Speaker 8: Was it the great mathematician ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park who said, just because we can do something doesn't mean we should. Yes, this is this is this is the latest version of it for me?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 8: Is that Mark Zuckerberg is both feet into this and we're not paying attention to it?
Speaker 2: Coming up next?
Speaker 8: Oh, this was an interesting study about autism. This is not a ground I should say it is groundbreaking. This is not the end of the conversation about autism, but it is an interesting look at because that's been so much in the headlines lately. A new study about maybe how to treat and then down the line even prevent some forms of autism.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry we're late, but I had one. I'll say it later.
Speaker 6: Say now, well, just.
Speaker 2: The whole meta thing.
Speaker 1: It's it's gonna talk sex with you that app so you're training this meta AI on how to talk about sex, and it's gonna turn around and talk to possibly your children about sex one percent.
Speaker 2: That's freaking terrifying.
Speaker 8: Again, Mark Zuckerberg has kids, and should that should be number one on his mind. My wife says, she's not screaming at Amanda, she's just letting her know the hierarchy in a stern tone.
Speaker 2: Oh that is it makes me.
Speaker 6: That's a nuanced yell.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 8: Forty Soviet era spacecraft is coming back to crash down upon our heads one of these days. After about fifty years, the Cosmos four to eight to two spacecraft is supposed to come back to Earth sometime between tomorrow and Tuesday. We'll wipe us out then somebody it might. I mean, chances are pretty infinitesimally small, but they said it's life to begin its official deorbit on Saturday, but they do not know exactly what it's going to do. It was originally designed to withstand entry into the atmosphere of the planet Venus. That's where it was originally going to go, So it is possible that parts of this thing do survive re entry.
Speaker 6: It never actually got out of low Earth orbit back.
Speaker 8: In nineteen seventy two, when it was launched and is now falling and will fall at some point in the next week or so.
Speaker 1: A study out of the UNLV Running Rebels has discovered a new molecular path that leads to autism. They say that this could open the way to treat and prevent autism. This was published last week in the journal Nature Neuroscience, and it found that a gene that causes myotonic dystrophy, a genetic condition that creates progressive muscle weakness, also causes autism.
Speaker 8: Now, this is one of those small but large. It's small because there are different causes they believe, but large because it is a piece of the puzzle. One of the psychiatrists or research director at Integrative Clinical Psychiatry Assistant at Columbia said, this is a landmark example of an RNA mediated pathway to autism. Doesn't account for all of it, but it does expose one route among the many that lead.
Speaker 6: To the spectrum.
Speaker 8: Part of it is that about ninety five percent of kids who are autistic have at least one extra condition. And they said they noticed a high crossover between people suffering from myotonic dystrophy and autism. So he asked this question, what's happening in the brains of people with myotonic dystrophy on the molecular level, and what is happening in the brains of people with autism. So they looked at all of this and they said, it's going to be important. This research itself is important because it has the potential to develop treatments that would target missplicing so that the healthy versions of proteins are produced. The autism is a genetic disorder. About sixty to ninety percent of it, they say, is genetics, which would leave room for outside factors, external environmental factors, but not quite conclusive on what those genes or what those mutated genes would be. So there's a laundry list of genes that might contribute to autism, and this again is one of those. It's not the final piece of the puzzle, but it is one that hopefully can bring some sort of clarity to all of this.
Speaker 1: So how would they go and prevent this from happening.
Speaker 8: That's a great question, other than finding some treatment that specifically goes after the DMPK gene is what they're talking about. DMPK that causes myotonic dystrophe can also cause the autism related genes. Again, they know the laundry list of some of them, but it would cause them to be mis spliced so that these autism related genes work differently, and when they are created they act as a sponge to absorb otherwise healthy proteins from a family of genes that would disrupt muscle and brain development. Again getting in there and hopefully stopping that cycle somehow, and again, then you've got to figure out when is this something that you would be able to detect in vitro? Is it something that comes that people are predisposed to autism and then some environmental factor affects them.
Speaker 1: When they're messing around DNA. At that point, it's I don't know. It's hard to say that that's down the road as far down there it is down the road, all right. Coming up next, near death experiences and how they change how people view their careers. I think you'd change the way you'd look at everything if you had a near death experience, I'd hope. So, how you choose to use your time, who you choose to spend it with.
Speaker 2: Why are you looking at my shoes?
Speaker 6: You'd probably rethink those shoes You're.
Speaker 3: Listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 8: There's a new study out of the Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion. Yes, one of these things. One of these kids is doing his own thing, Management, Spirituality and Religion. What a racket. Found that after brushing up against death, near death experience something like that, employees frequently reprioritize their professional lives and they shift away from shoes like that.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: They shift away from pursuing money or status or career advancement and go towards something meaningful, like what authentic relationships with colleagues and clients?
Speaker 2: Do we have anybody who had a near death experience?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Shannon, I had a near death experience, and about twenty years ago after that, I took my watch off and said, I'll never wear this watch again because.
Speaker 7: Wherever I need to be able to be there on time, because I'm not going by time anymore. I'm just thank god I've on my got a second chance. Yeah, no, watch.
Speaker 6: Interesting.
Speaker 8: I wonder what happened to him there, because I guess you don't fall off the stadium at a Pirates game.
Speaker 2: Well that's a near death, I guess.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he could have he could have died out there on the warning track, they said. For many near death experience survivors, the transformation is dramatic. Many people quit their jobs in search of more meaningful work. One participant in this study said they chose to purture press sorry, They chose to pursue to entrepreneurship rather than corporate advancement, and focused on their spiritual fulfillment rather than ego gratification.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I have this feeling that you would, just many people would the desire for money or more money, money beyond what you need in a basic level, would go out the window.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 1: I think that if you had one of these experiences, it would be all about like being grounded and being around people you love and experiencing life, and not the constant pursuit of more money. I think that that would be the first thing that went by the wayside. If you could support yourself just in a basic way, you know, not the biggest house, the best house, the best cars, close watches to it, whatever, All that crap would just be that crap, and you would only care about like what feels good in a like a a basic.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I also know, I would be curious to know if you were a witness to someone's near death experience, if it had the same impact on you. Right, if you had a good friend who was dramatically injured in a car accident or something like that, would that be enough to change your attitude because it didn't happen to you.
Speaker 6: But you were there or you saw it, or.
Speaker 8: You you know, help them recover or whatever, and saw that transformation in them other things.
Speaker 1: That's what they say all the time too, when people are on their deathbed. You know, you say, like, what do you wish you did more?
Speaker 10: Of?
Speaker 2: People never say work work for more money.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Other people said they would craft their existing jobs. They wouldn't quit their job, but they would craft their job to align with their new values. Or they would develop a heightened empathy for colleagues and customers. One participant said how they suddenly gained the ability to intuitively sense injuries and accident victims, things like seat belt injuries or whiplash or broken bones and head drama.
Speaker 2: That's odd, that would be an odd one.
Speaker 8: The occupations of the those they studied included everything farming, marketing, waiting tables, law.
Speaker 1: You would devote your life to your true passion, which is adult theater.
Speaker 8: Uh, I would still feel like I had all of you into it.
Speaker 6: I would still feel.
Speaker 8: I had a responsibility to provide for my family, so I couldn't.
Speaker 1: Well, your kids are grown and they're out of the house and they're providing for themselves. Yeah, but you and your wife are going to be fine. You could devote yourself. You could create theater, you could act, you could direct, you could do all of those things. You could pour all of your creative mind into that. Doesn't that sound like a nice day?
Speaker 6: Do you want me to quit this?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, no.
Speaker 1: If that's how it came out, that's absolutely not what I meant at all.
Speaker 6: Like, isn't there anything else you could do?
Speaker 2: I get it there had experience dialed up. All right, we'll talk trending when we come back.
Speaker 8: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap