Speaker 1: Welcome Friends, its podcast podcasting time show.
Speaker 2: Jacky again Bryan. They're talking down moving down back. I welcome to Movie Film.
Speaker 3: It is episode three thirty six, brought you by Mister Boy Productions. I'm Zaky you Son, I'm her with Brian Hall.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's going, Zachi, it is going, It is going. We're in February now.
Speaker 3: I know we are one twelfth of the way through twenty twenty six, and it sure feels like we are moving. I don't know. It's it's hard to say. Honestly, it is moving very quickly. But part of that is just, you know, everything seems to be moving quicker, but also like the pace of news makes it feels like at times like things are going glacially.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: No, I think so, I think so so. I it is always a strange thing. It's there's a lot of build up, I feel like, to the holidays. Yeah, at the end of every year, you got Thanksgiving and then everything, you know, Christmas, New Year's whatever, and then January is sort of a weird like hitting a wall a bit and everything resets and you're like, oh, I guess we're starting up again. Early that's the feeling that I get sometimes. But then yeah, so I'm a little bit surprised that we're January's already in the rear view.
Speaker 3: We're in February, so we're done with our New Year's resolutions we have, we've failed at those, and now we're moving on.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: I did have a little bit of a like, well, I can eat this now. I mean, it's the holidays, and I'm still like thinking that way.
Speaker 3: You know, as you sit eating a tub of butter with a spoon, You're like, this, this should be fine, just a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest. I did kill a trader Joe's Tira Massou last night, which was pretty good. Did you do it? Did you do it joyfully or through tears? It is completely joyfully. I felt no shame. I felt nothing but joy in that case.
Speaker 3: Uh, I think you're just fine, take take it for me, the least healthy person, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's the Olympics have started, so I was you know, I'm sitting watching all these athletes and I'm just like eating my tear mis zoo on the couch in a bathroom.
Speaker 3: Did you, by the way, did you see that SNL sketch about the Winter Olympics and the three the different Apple Yes Yes, with Wicklineline as the loose. Oh my god, that was That was brilliant. You know.
Speaker 2: She is one of those people that I feel like she's struggled to find her footing a little bit, you know, in her first season. Although she when she does her songs at the weekend update desk, I always think they're really funny, but in sketches it feels like they haven't quite forge.
Speaker 3: She was finding more of her niche this season, though.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that was one of the ones where I was like, that is perfect. That is perfect for her. Her personality is perfect for that, and I thought it was hilarious. I love what she didn't want to do. The joke is that she doesn't want to do the los That's right, because it's scary and dangerous, and so she keeps telling her coach that she's sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, She's like, no, no, no, I'm sick.
Speaker 2: I'm sick, and the coach like, no, no, no, just sit down, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Alexander scars Guard, by the way, he was really funny.
Speaker 2: He was Yeah, he was a perfect home.
Speaker 3: He was a game for just about everything game and capable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, you know he was able to play characters and be funny and know how to calibrate. And then his dad, you know, stelling scars Guard showing up was always like really fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was. I thought that was like, that was like the perfect episode you could hope for. That's like, you know what I mean, Like it's not like one of those Superstar episodes that's gonna go down in history, but it's like, this is if you could give me one of these each week, Like I think everybody would be pretty happy.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. Yeah. Yeah, speaking of Alexander Scar's Guard, I recently, like in the couple of months, I revisited the Legend of Tarzan.
Speaker 2: Oh, which I still haven't seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was like, you know, I was a little harsh on that movie.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I thought you would like recommended it to me. Yeah, I do you hate me? I may.
Speaker 3: This whole show has been one very long bit where I'm just screwing with you.
Speaker 2: And it's finally coming together. Yeah. I think what I've said.
Speaker 3: What I said was like it's like a good weekday afternoon type movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I stand by that.
Speaker 3: But I went back and I read my initial review from ten years ago, and and I, you know, I feel like I was a little harsh because I was like, all this shows is that, you know, these characters like this don't really matter anymore. And I don't know, I think I was having a bad day. I guess that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It happens. Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Will say, and I said this on the show before War that you know, the movie casts Samuel Jackson as a real life person.
Speaker 2: Oh right, I remember that.
Speaker 3: And and you know, a really impressive person, George Washington Williams, who is a you know, a scientist and a diplomat and just a really impressive person personality in American history. And and it's like the only way history can be depicted is as this as a supporting character in a Tarzan movie, you know, and.
Speaker 2: Just an average one at that and exactly.
Speaker 3: You know. But but having revisited relatively recently, I'm like, you know, this movie is fine. I think I think maybe it's about the right state of mind. But but I enjoyed it. Good cast, scars Guard is good, Margot Robbie, Christoph Waltz. Sam Jackson like, you're gonna you know what I mean, there's enough in there to enjoy it. Jamon HUNTSU, Wow, it's pretty pretty stacked.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, And sometimes movies I feel like have a lot of pressure put on them when they're in theaters because it's like, well, is this worth leaving your house and plunking down eighteen dollars? And it's like, well, so you're you're measuring it against something specific in that moment. But then as time goes on and I am looking for something on a Saturday afternoon, well then that's perfect and you might appreciate it in a different way.
Speaker 3: In a different way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what's funny. I wasn't going to bring this up, so I'll try to make it brief. But speaking of Samuel L. Jackson playing a real person in a fictional movie. So I I had a really bad headache the other day and it was, you know, seven PM, and I was like, I just want to put something on, but I don't want it to be anything I really want to watch. I just want something on while I take some Madville and try to chill out. And so I turned on I have Apple TV so I turned on the Apple TV and the trailer for fly Me to the Moon Oka started playing, which is an Apple movie with Channing, taj Scylet Johansson, and the plot is, you know, it's about the Neil Armstrong, the launch for the you know, send the First Man.
Speaker 3: To the Moon.
Speaker 2: But the plot is, you know, the government is nervous that if things don't work out, they can't let the world see that the United States didn't successfully make it. So as a backup plan, they get this warehouse and hire a director and build a moon set so they can fake the moon landing if they need to, and broadcast that instead so the world will think that the US succeeded. Right now, I'd only seen the trailers, and I was like, I, you know, it tries to look like this fizzy sixties kind of romantic kind of thing between Tatum and Scarlett Johansson, and I was like, yeah, yeah, okay, let's do this now. I I think what bothered me about it was I didn't know what was true and what wasn't okay, And so part of me thought that maybe this actually happened because the movie was presenting fact with this a certain tone and this I guess fiction with the same tone, and so you know, you think of something like Inglorious Bastard's which spoiler for that movie. You know, they kill Hitler at the end, you know, our heroes. And I remember seeing it in the theater and just laughing with glee because it was so funny and audacious and ridiculous. And I'm in a ridiculous movie, right, so I can continue to go with the ridiculousness right right right. And with this one, I was like, wait, so is this character real? Is she? Wait? Did this? So?
Speaker 3: Wait? This?
Speaker 2: This does feel like kind of far fit hold on, And I gotta admit it was getting on my nerves interesting the fact that I didn't know if it was true or not. And at the end, they have this whole thing where they like disable the camera that's going to be on the module on the Moon just to ensure that the fake moon landing has shown instead. So Scarlett Johanson's character recruits these two NASA scientists right before launch to go because they need a part from a tube television to repair this TV. But they go to the shop, but the shop is closed because everyone's watching the launch, the rocket launch, So they take a garbage can and throw it through the window and steal a tube television and then these cops show up and are going to arrest them, but she's such a smooth talker that she talks to police into giving them a police escort back to NASA so they can get the part under the ship on time. And I was like, Okay, wait, now I'm really annoyed because like, is this mait is this real or not? Like if this is goofy and fun and made up and like a fun fiction happening in the background of something real, right, then that's cool. But we're also dealing with like the real guy who called out the launch, played by Tatum. So I was like, this is confusing, Like I don't I don't know. It's something about it just irked me as I was going through it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, interesting, Okay.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so speaking of like real life thing and fictional things, and like it's just.
Speaker 3: When when you mix it together, it becomes kind of a hodgepodge.
Speaker 2: I get it. Yeah, like maybe take it a notch up in the silliness or something.
Speaker 3: Right so that it's more it's like nobody's gonna watch that that that Jerry Seinfeld pop tarts movie. Right, well, period, nobody's gonna watch that Jerry Seinfeld pop tarts movie. Period. No, nobody's gonna watch it Comma and think it's it's real. Yeah, that's a man amazing comp that I just completely forgot existed. But yes, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean that one went pretty silly, right, But I don't know, I don't know. Maybe I was in the wrong mood. I like I said, I had a very bad headache.
Speaker 3: Maybe a legend of tarzan is is what what you should tune in for next time?
Speaker 2: You know what? That is exactly what I should have watched instead.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Well what else? What else have you seen lately? You know, it's seem quite a bit So I'll just I'll rattle them off kind of quick. But I want to ask, did you watch the I didn't put this in the list, but did you see the Muppet Show revival thing on Disney Plus?
Speaker 3: Oh? Dude, I want to I had planned to watch it last night, but life got in the way. But I'm hearing good things.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Seth Rogan. Sabrina Carpenter is the guest star.
Speaker 3: The One Thing I'll say, and this is just me. Maybe maybe you've noticed this, But doesn't it seem like Kermit's voice is a little off?
Speaker 2: You know, I had not heard Apparently this guy has been doing the voice for almost ten years now. Really, that's what I'm reading, because I'm seeing a lot of posts about people thrown off by the voice. I was thrown off. Okay, good, so I'm not alone in this. Okay, to my knowledge, I've not heard this guy.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I didn't watch that ABC series The Muppets, and I guess he did that one. It's complicated because he is he doing a bad job.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily, no, it just doesn't sound like Jim Henson exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it did make me go back and look at the I don't have the name in front of me, but the person who took over for a really long time afterwards, I was kind of curious because I remember him sounding different too, of course inevitably, but when you do hear him, you're like, wow, he is pretty darn close and even just the spirit of Kermit, like he really nailed nailed that. And this guy does sound quite a bit different, and it takes you have to make a choice in your mind to go with it. I feel like, however, he sings Islands in the Stream with Sabrina Carpenter, and I was like, well, he's got a good voice, and I mean, that's a tricky thing when you're doing a voice and having to sing in that voice that isn't yours. See I saw.
Speaker 3: I didn't see clips from it. I saw Kermit on The Kimmel Show.
Speaker 2: Okay, and this too, by the way.
Speaker 3: I kind of love that, Like, at some point in the distant past, it was decided that we will treat the Muppets as if they are real, and just from now, from then until the end of time, everyone has just agreed that that's how it will be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Like I yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 3: It's this tacit understanding. It's like, no, no, that's Kermit, and we just you know, ignore the man underneath, you know whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that we have kept that tradition alive.
Speaker 3: It's been you know, more than fifty years. It's like, no, this is what we do.
Speaker 2: They're real.
Speaker 3: The Muppets are real. You shut the hell up. They're real, right right, We've just all decided that. But anyway, so you had Kermit on with Kimmel, and that's when I was like, huh, A little sounds a little different, you know, you know, not not not worse, not worse than our old froggy Yep, just different. Yep. Our mantra man ar mantra, Joe PESHI leath the weapon for we live by it.
Speaker 2: I mean truly, I think about it a lot. Yeah, it's it's super fun. It's not anything unexpected. It's just a new episode of the Muppet Show and in the modern age with a modern star. And I think that to me, that's that feels right. It feels nice, it's comfort comfortable. I'm looking forward to watching it and hopefully this weekend. Yeah, and then also real fast, I'll say. Jeded Appatow did another profile documentary, this time with mel Brooks. I think it's called The ninety nine year Old Man. It's on HBO HBO Max. Two parts. I love that they don't feel like, Okay, we got to make this just two hours, you know, when we're profiling someone with such a long, prolific career. It's two parts and they're both feature length. But I really enjoyed it. I like mel Brooks and you I didn't know a lot about his life or his beginnings. So I recommend that to anyone who's interested.
Speaker 3: Did you I can't remember if we talked about did you see the Chevy Chase documentary? No?
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, that was a CNN thing, right, that's right.
Speaker 3: I think it's gonna be. It should be streaming now. I think, uh, you know, is it worth it? Well, I haven't seen it. All I know I saw I saw folks talking about it online. I saw one thing that made me laugh where it's like I remember that John Candy documentary where everybody was just lining up to tell you how much they loved him and what a great person he was. Well, this isn't that right, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The only thing I had heard about it was that it existed, and then a lot of people refused to be in it, you.
Speaker 3: Know Chevy's I recently, in the last few months, I rewatched Saturday Night, you know, the movie Saturday Night, and you have that scene where young, you know, upstart Chevy Chase is is telling Milton Burrele what a piece of shit he is, right, yeah, And I'm like, man, you know you live long enough and you know you just oh, yeah, you know what, you know, you either die the hero you live long enough to become the villain. Wow.
Speaker 2: That is yeah, strangely prophetic that that scene.
Speaker 3: Right, And it made me think I was like, did they They had to have known what they were doing with that scene, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or not prophetic, but like like a funny vision of things that could be.
Speaker 3: Like like they had to they had to have known, like this is how it's going to read, you know.
Speaker 2: Which's just so sad because you know, just last night I was with my brother and his wife and I was recommending the John Candy thing and and they're like, is it good? And I was like yes, I'm like no, Look does it really dig into the details of his life? Not necessarily, but it's like hanging out with a bunch of people who knew him reminiscing and they all loved him. They all had nice things to say, and that's for me time well spent. Yeah, and it really says something about the man if that many people have all have nice things to say, and like, what a lovely tribute to that person. And it just makes me sad with Chevy Chase because he's very talented, he's very very funny, but not a lot of people have nice things to say, and that's too bad.
Speaker 3: Look, you piss off enough people on your way up, you're gonna pass them on the way down and nobody's going to reach their hand out to grab you. Yeah, that's just that's that's a lesson everybody should should internalize a little bit, you know, I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe maybe people have. And that goes to what we were talking about with Oh sorry, this was in our bonus episode that you'll be able to find over at the Patreon page. But we get into late night talk show hosts and how it seems, you know, there used to be more rivalries and cutthroat attitudes toward one another in the past, but it's seems like now it's interesting how they have become like a fraternity or a brotherhood together, you know. Yeah, and maybe that's just I don't know that that just seems to be what what what people are like more these days than what they used to be.
Speaker 3: Well it is, you know, it's like in that that the Late Shift, the movie, you know, the book slash movie.
Speaker 2: You know you've seen it, right, yeah, oh yeah, you know, and the.
Speaker 3: Whole thing about Kathy Bates's character. She's Jay Leno's manager, right, And the whole thing is like, if you come on the Tonight Show, you can't appear on The Letterman Show or Our Senni or whatever, you know, and like that's that's just unsustainable in today's media economy. Yeah, because you get this press to her and then they're everywhere, and that's just what it is, you know. So it's just the whole, the whole, the whole ecosystem has changed, you know. Yeah, anyway, what else have you seen?
Speaker 2: Well, le's just talk about two things real quick here. Oh well, actually I'm gonna sneak one in here. The Burbs. I rewatched The burbsh nice, the nineteen eighty nine Tom Hanks Joe Dante movie, in anticipation of the series, Yep, The Urbs, which is going to be debuting on Peacock Super Bowl Sunday. I'm very curious about that. And you know, I know you're you're a fan. In r Pal, Sean Coyle is a huge fan of Big Petty and I don't remember how, but somehow he had two Blu rays of it, so he gave me one and i'd been I had it on my shelf, like my two watch shelf, and so I popped it in.
Speaker 3: Blue ray or DVD, Blu ray. Wow, Okay, because and.
Speaker 2: Man, what a fun friggin' movie Like that is just just a delightful goof of a movie, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been maybe twenty years since I've revisited it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think it's more a collection of funny ideas than it is a great movie as a whole, right, But those fun any moments are very funny. Yeah, And like the tone is just so I don't know, I'm not sensing the same tone from the trailers for the Burbs series. There's yeah, like there's just such a fun I mean, right down to the scary pipe orbit organ music that that you know, punches in over like these funny little bits of darkness juxtaposed in the suburbs, and just all the neighbors like who lives in that house? Yeah, I heard they murdered a guy, you know, and just like all that, and then they become like kind of crazed themselves trying to get to the bottom of what's really going on in that house, and you get like eighties manic energy. Tom Hanks.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, that's that's Tom Hanks, like on the cusp of of you know, the greatest living actor Tom Hanks. Yes, like he's still straddling uh, you know, a bachelor party and yeah, you know Sleepless and Seattle. You know, he's kind of in the middle there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's just really fun. And so I enjoyed watching. It's like ninety minutes.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to give her a look.
Speaker 2: It's so fun anyway. But the two newer things I watched that I'll mention real quick is you know, with Award season, you and I get a handful of links sometimes, and so there's some movies I get put on my radar that I hadn't really been aware of. And one of them for me was this movie called Secret Mall Apartment. Have you heard about this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is it on Netflix?
Speaker 2: It's on Netflix now. Yeah, So I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna was watching it this past week. You were watching, I'm gonnas not?
Speaker 2: I Oh, oh okay, well would she Well, I'll say real quick to plot and it's true story documentary. In two thousand and three, eight Rhode Islanders created a secret apartment inside a busy mall and lived there for four years. So what does she think. I'm curious she liked it.
Speaker 3: She was fascinated by it.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, you know, I really enjoyed it. It's a bit of a trifle.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I could imagine some people watching this and going and right, you know, but I I enjoyed the spirit of this. It just these I wouldn't even call them Mary pranksters. I mean, there are these this group of artists. It does get into that location at the time, and you know, they lived in this area that basically the city booted them out of so they could turn it into a shopping area, and they were feeling, you know, disenfranchised and where can we live that we can afford? And they also have these real artistic spirits, okay, and so it just occurred to them, well they will Basically they explored them all because they as it was being built, one of them noticed like, what would they possibly put in that space over there? It feels like it'd be this empty space. So as a lark, they go in there. They discover this empty space and they're like, what if we put a couch in here?
Speaker 3: And out?
Speaker 2: And they're like, what if we bought a table in a television and we could play video games, and let's get a China hutch, you know, and then they start getting dishware, and then they basically hang out and live there and it becomes this kind of home, you know, this alternate universe where they get to exist and make it their own space. And I don't know, I found myself the next day I felt thinking about it. I felt this sort of strange longing inside myself for like that feeling of freedom and like mischief, you know that you have at a certain time of your life, you know, with your friends and you go out and do these kind of crazy things. And I realized that the movie put that feeling inside of me. So I feel like the movie did a great job of capturing the playful spirit of what they were doing.
Speaker 3: Right. If this is your way of asking me to join you in building a secret mall apartment, buddy, I'm already there. Man, let's get it.
Speaker 2: Ah, I'm in. You had me at secret. Oh you want to share a secret. But yeah, I just I thought it was nice, And you know, it's it also gets into them as artists, and we get to see during that moment, you know, a couple of years post nine to eleven and they go out and they do these projects which are not commissioned, so they're basically going out on the street and they do this thing with tape, like tape art, and they had this thing where they wanted to create silhouettes that represented every single person who died in nine to eleven. Wow, and yeah, and it's some people like it, and other people are like, get the hell away from my property. But they're just not Mary pranksters but just Marry artists. Yeah, just going out and trying to put some artistic good into the world. And some people might find that delightful. Some people might find it kind of annoying. I don't know. But and again, at the end of the day when it ends, you might feel a little bit like, okay, and what about it. But like for me, I just thought they did a good job of capturing the spirit of what those guys were trying to do and what that apartment represented to them, and it made me feel something and I thought it was delightful. So I enjoyed it. I enjoyed Secret Mall Apartment. It's streaming on Netflix.
Speaker 3: Well, based on the level of chaos in my house last night when I came home. Secret Mall apartment sounds pretty freaking awesome.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, doesn't that actually sound kind of nice?
Speaker 3: Kind of I got six kids, Secret mall apartment, Sign me up.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a moment where they have this thing and there, you know, this place, and a ladder leads to it, and they're getting worried that they might get caught. So they're like, you know what we need to do. We need to build a wall. So they buy hundreds of cinder blocks and they like, build this wall. Know what I love about this?
Speaker 3: This is like Dawn of the Dead minus the zombies, right right right? You know, yeah, it's I don't know, it's it's cute, not so cute.
Speaker 2: I watched a movie called If I had legs, I would kick you. Oh wow, And are you familiar with this movie?
Speaker 3: This is Rose Byrne, right, yes, and Conan and Conan O'Brien, Yes, so I was.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love Rose Byrne, and I was very curious to see Conan actually acting in a movie. But I had heard that this movie was a little intense, and so this is a drama. This is very much a drama. I had heard it called uncut Gems for Moms, and I don't know if that's exactly right, but the summary is, while trying to manage her own life and career, a woman on the verge of a breakdown must cope with her daughter's illness, my absent husband, a missing person, and an unusual relationship with her therapist. And Conan is the therapist. Conan is the therapist, and the daughter you never see interesting. So basically the camera stays on Rose Burn for the majority of the story. I mean, you know other characters as well, but you're always hearing her daughter off camera. I see does she sounds like, wow, that would be really funny, but no. But basically, and it's just, yeah, it's exactly you know what I just read. I mean, it's just her trying to navigate. Basically, there's this hole that appears in her ceiling, you know, like through bad plumbing or whatever, and so she has to leave and go live in a motel and there's the stress of that. And the daughter has a health condition where she has like an ivy kind of thing constantly having to feed nutrients into her, and so there's this constant beeping from that machine and in the middle of the night if she forgets to put the stuff in there on alarmoll go off and she's got to deal with the whole in the apartment. And yeah, she has like a patient that she's seeing who I'll just say makes her life very stressful. And it's just stressor after stressor after stressor. And it's funny because Rose Byrne is incredible in this movie. I mean, for my money, she's gonna win Best Actress for really, yes, because she's she's doing something. She's doing a lot. I mean, she's playing a sympathetic mother but also a very stressed out just person, mother, person, wife, and she's doing very irresponsible things. But and we're aware of it, but we're also I don't think she ever loses us, you know what I mean, Like we're following her as she makes maybe increasingly sort of confusing decisions. And when I say confusing, what's interesting about this movie is it plays as a bit of a fever dream, gotcha, you know, where sometimes like occasionally she'll hallucinate a little bit and we're like, is she dreaming right now?
Speaker 3: Or And so I mean it sounds similar to the movie we're discussing later.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah, yeah, And so I mean, and for all these reasons I just said, I don't know that I would just blindly recommend this movie to anyone like you. You certainly have to be in the right mood, because this is a very stressful movie and you're watching someone be stressed out for two hours and she's filled with dread and despair. But at the same time, it is a remarkable performance and the craft is kind of amazing. I mean, sometimes you think we talk about this like it's every movie is made with the same instruments. You have a camera and a boom mic, you know, in the lights, and it's kind of amazing when they when it doesn't work. And then you watch something like this that feel so dreamlike and and it's the same instruments, you know, and it's like, how did she capture that sort of dreamy nature of this but also the stressful nature of it? And it's the craft on display here is amazing. The performance is amazing. And so I think if you're interested in those things, like if you're in the right mood and you want to see something that is well done and you're willing to go on this harrowing ride I think those people will find a lot to appreciate in this movie. But like I said, I wouldn't just blind recommend it for a Friday night gotcha, And real quick, I'm mean I have to comment on Corner O'Brien. I got admit it was a little distracting for me, because how could it not be, you know, thirty years of seeing this guy do like a string dance, you know, and being a goofball and then suddenly he's playing a very straight, kind of unpleasant character.
Speaker 3: Okay, interesting, And so I.
Speaker 2: Will admit it took me a second. I mean, right now, I'm thinking of like Dick Cavitt appearing in Beatleed Juice, you know, where it's like somebody, or like.
Speaker 3: Kevin O'Leary in Marty Supreme.
Speaker 2: There you go, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know. So you're like, well, that's Dick Cavitt, that's you know, such and such, that's what. And so I did have like, all that's Conan, Like okay, Brian, turn it off, and just he's not Conan, He's this character. He did take me a minute, but I do think he does a good job and he is playing kind of a jerk in these scenes. Opposite Rose Burne where she is really acting okay, and so it's it's but she doesn't blow him off with the screen. No, no, So I like I said, I mean, the performances are amazing. I was really taken with the craft of the movie. Shoot, I don't have it from me. Mary Bronstein, I think her name is, who wrote and directed it. Yeah. Mary Bronstein really did a great job of capturing a tone in a mood and a dreamlike, stressful, dream like experience that this woman is just drifting through. So if in the mood and that sounds like something you might appreciate, then I would recommend it.
Speaker 3: Well there we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, how about yourself? What you been watching?
Speaker 3: Well, I haven't seen a ton, but I did see our our thing that we're going to be talking about this week. So we'll talk about that in just a little bit. Perfect In the meantime, we do have some listener letters, Brian.
Speaker 2: I believe you have been looking for me. Eighteen thousands, all addressed.
Speaker 3: You've got mail, alrighty, So here is an email we got from Adam Ox and this is that movie Film podcast at gmail dot com. And he says, recently you guys were discussing how Stallone was never able to break into comedic roles in the same way Arnold did. And I agree that's mostly true. Do you remember when when when that was Brian when we I can't remember it was that. That was just one of our tangent probably.
Speaker 2: Right, I know I was Was that a commentary or was that an episode? I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it all kind of blurs the other I think it was me.
Speaker 2: Why were we talking about Stallone?
Speaker 3: Right? Why wouldn't we be talking about I don't remember how that came out? Yeah? Same it we were on a hold on.
Speaker 2: It was it was?
Speaker 3: It was we were talking about rhyan Stone, yes, because I was talking about the song Drinkenstein.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 3: Uh just sung in the dulcet tones of the Italian stallion, right right. I don't remember how we got there anyway, Adam says, But when Zaki dismissively said that the nineteen ninety one movie Oscar was not good, that, sir, I cannot stand for I may be the only I know that son of a bitch Zachie.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, I'm Zaki.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 2: He's talking about me. Yeah, I hip that guy. You're like, yeah, wait a minute.
Speaker 3: I may be the only person who defends that movie, but damn it defended. I will stallone actually was pretty good as a gangster trying to go straight, and of course circumstances arise to test that resolve. But really the key is the amazing supporting cast, including a pre my cousin Vinnie Marissa Tomei the start of my lifelong crush on her. Oscar is a worthy pairing for a double feature with Clue. Both movies have an ensemble cast of quirky characters, and most of the plot takes place in a single location that makes them feel like they could be translated to a stage production without too much effort. I also would like to point out that while the movie didn't get great reviews, Ciskel and Ebert gave it two thumbs up, so hopefully that would entice you to give it another chance, if for no other reason than to spend one hundred and nine minutes saying, Hey, it's that guy at the cast. I'm going to cross my fingers but not hold my brint that. I'll hear you guys raving about it in a future episode. Best wishes, as always, Adam.
Speaker 2: I love that he knows like how to entice us. It's like, well, ciskel Neemer gave a two thumbs up.
Speaker 3: So I like that he knows this well enough to be like, but not hold my breath because like we said, right, that's the type of thing my kids do. So okay, So I should say I don't remember exactly what I said. However, the last time I saw Oscar was in the nineties, and in the early part of the nineties at that, so I don't have a strong memory. So if what I should have said was it did not do well, rather than specifically speak to the quality of the movie, which, being honest, it's just it's been too long. So I'm I don't remember liking it very much when I saw it, but I mean that it's been a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The only thing I remember about it when I was a kid, and I was always loved movies, and so at the video store they'd have like a little magazine booklet type of thing about the movies that were going to come out next month, and so i'd always take it because I like thumbing through it and looking at the movie posters, and I remember the poster of stallone hanging from a clock.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's like my only reference for this movie. And I got to say, knowing that it's you know, just a little over ninety minutes and Adam's recommendation, I wish I had had this for my headache night. There you have been a perfect like, Oh, let's just throw the song. See what it is. It's probably light.
Speaker 3: And easy, and I could see myself actually getting to this, which probably all the people who have recommended newer things to me recently are like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Like, but yeah, I could see myself being in the mood for this one night.
Speaker 3: You have to tackle you have to tackle your recommendations chronologically, so by this one comes first.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I'm googling it because I want to see how to stream this. Oh it's it's directed by John Landis. I didn't realize that a noted piece of shit, John Landon just picturing him on a tree. I know, Like, I wasn't expecting that this week, and it has a twelve percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
Speaker 3: I'm twelve person.
Speaker 2: Just for sake of argument, we we will bring our own opinions to the table after we check it out. But if we check it out, but twelve percent? Whoof But you know what, Adam, I believe you. What does he look up?
Speaker 3: Stopper? My mom will shoot? What does that have on rotten tomatoes?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see stop orm comes up right away, star seventeen percent. So that's better than oscar.
Speaker 3: Yes, fascinating?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, interesting?
Speaker 3: Okay hmm all right, well there you go. There's your double features and Stopper. My mom willt shoot. We will take that under advisement, Adam, Yes, cause because because uh because we love you that much. M all right. Here's a comment we got on YouTube, and this from Luke's mail twenty four This is on our commentary track for Robinhood Prince of Thieves. Oh wow, okay, which you may recall we recorded that in twenty eighteen. Oh wow, right, it was right around when when that that that no Joel not Joel editing Taron Edgerton version. Remember that. At the risk of saying oh wow three times in less than a minute, oh wow, I think it's warranted. Frankly, this is a triple wow. Yeah, he says, Isazachi. It's Luke from eight years into the future. I can tell you that shockingly, the Tarran Edgerton Robin Hood has not had a sequel and has not become a cult classic.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, by the way, when he said eighteen, it's like, wow, that was a long time ago. And then when he said eight years that was eight years ago. It's almost a decade ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, let's go what is going on. I'd be I'm I'm kind of horrified to go back and dip into some of those like super old commentary tracks and see what kind of weird, horribly not aged at all well things we said.
Speaker 2: You know, And yeah, I'd be terrified, not just for that, but I don't know, it'd be hard to hear eight years ago. Me. I feel like it'd be strange.
Speaker 3: Yeah. In fact, come to think of it, I think that film's existence has been erased from history. But in regards to Robinhood Prince of Thieves, my dad worked on a bit of the merchandise from the movie, so it has great message for me. I got four free showings with my brother and we loved it. One thing that has not come out, which he told us back then, was that, prior to Brian Blessed being cast, he played Lord Locksley. You may remember Sean Connery was considered to play Robin's father first, but then the timing didn't add up with whatever else he was doing, so all that could be done was the cameo with him playing King Richard late in the shoot. Speaking of Connore in regards to what you were saying about the darker original ending of the tale about Robin Hood, have you ever seen Conrie's Robin and Mary and from the seventies. Personally, I found it depressing as all hell, but it is worth the look just to see that ending and to watch them square off against Robert Shaw again. Robin and Marion is good. Have you seen it? No? Yeah, it's you know, it's that's to me, that's kind of the quintessential hero in Twilight story, you know, huh? Like, did we talk about the nude the Death of Robinhood the movie?
Speaker 2: I was literally googling it to see what the title was because it was making Yes, I know, we haven't talked about it with Hugh Jackman. Yeah, coming out this year and it's like a a twenty fourth thing yet playing an older aged Robin Hood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like the story you knew is wrong, Like Robin Hood was actually a bad guy or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, hey, if ever we needed a reason to do a commentary for the Taron Edgerton Robin Hood.
Speaker 2: You know what, Honestly, I remember when that came out. I had no interest. Yeah, but something about time, I mean, you know, with the Tarzan thing too, I'm like, that's like a fun when I don't know what to watch on a Friday night, Like, why not let's watch a Let's watch a Robin.
Speaker 3: Hood that movie. I was the only person in the theater. Really, I remember that very distinctly.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: He goes on in regards to the extended edition of Robinhood Prince of Thieves. You should listen to the audio commentary by Kevin Costner and Kevin Reynolds, which is pretty entertaining. It's not them just like throwing shit at each other. Them too, they're like the Hatfields McCoy's right, Yeah, which is ironic because Kevin Reynolds directed Kevin Costner in The Hatfields.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just gooda. That's why I was like, oh, that's really good.
Speaker 3: Let's see. Reynolds is going for a slightly more gritty fairy tale and the funniest thing is when Costner trashes his own accent, saying, listen to me, Kevin, just listen to me. Oh Kevin, we did uh, and Reynolds responds to something like, well, look at the box office. I should have told you people were fine with it. And it has been years now. I would really like to listen to that that commentary. Yeah, yeah, I've got the I've got the I've got the movie on four K. Oh wow, so I haven't checked. I'm pretty sure the commentary is on there. That's the thing, man, Say what you will about these movies. I got Water Worlled on four K, I got I got Prince of Thieves on four K. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: This is like a good update because you had mentioned that you were starting to investigate in physical media, So yeah, what what have you?
Speaker 3: Well, No, but those movies I've had for a while, okay, And they're like the swanky you know, specially like the Shout Factory or whatever, arrow, like the the boutique stuff that they that they go all in for, you know, right, the water World, it's like the the.
Speaker 2: The whatever cut.
Speaker 3: There's like a different cut than the one than the theatrical one that we.
Speaker 2: Watched, okay, included like in addition to correct Yeah, that's cool. By the way, speaking of Watching the Burbs, you know, I watched it on that Blu ray that Sean got me. But I saw that I want to say.
Speaker 3: Arrow maybe errow that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had.
Speaker 3: An addition that they put out and they included like a.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say director's cut. I don't know if that's exactly assembly cut or something like a really really early cut that Joe Dante shared with them from some old vhs that he had, And I was like, that's pretty cool. I could be kind of curious to see, you know what's changed.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these companies putting out gobs of extra features. Yeah, you know, like things that you would be like, oh, I've heard that there's these alternate cuts you could find maybe somewhere in a closet, but that they actually go through the work to attain those things and put them out with the releases. That's I don't know, it feels like back to the golden era of physical releases.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what I got recently. I haven't watched it yet, but it's it's the Albert Pune edit of the nineteen ninety Captain America. Wow, right, you know that that old, that shitty one, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I remember that from the video store.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, so so there is there was the director's cut. The director passed away recently, but he had his own edit of it that he had saved, and now that he's gone, like that has been made available in limited quantities. So when I saw that was I ordered it like right away. I was like, oh, I just want to I want to watch this h and it's just sitting here and kind of to your point, like how fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I saw. Similarly with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I think Ero did a four K release of all three movies, okay, and they have multiple versions, including versions that are from different countries where you can't say the word ninja, right, So it's like they call them here like it's done differently, but it's they put the entire movie. It's not like just the clips. It's like these different cuts of the film from you know, and then Michael Lan I think in the UK they have something about you can't show nunchucks in movies, that's right, and so they had to be edited differently those scenes and include different angles and whatever, and so they that's like the kind of stuff that you would read about and be like, oh, I'd really love to see something like that, And it's just cool that these companies are putting stuff out like that, including all of those unique cuts.
Speaker 3: Does it include the the better version of TMNT three where it's just a blank screen for ninety minutes? A blank screen?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That was.
Speaker 2: You just sent me something funny about that yesterday.
Speaker 3: That movie is shit.
Speaker 2: I've only seen it once. I didn't see it when I was a kid, and then years later I was like, Wow, there's like a Ninja Turtles movie I've never seen, and I know it's not good. I've heard this, but that's cool. I want to check it out. And yeah, it's not very good.
Speaker 3: Afterwards you just turn it off and then just walk silently out onto your deck and just look out.
Speaker 2: And sneer.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Anyway, so boutique.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what else?
Speaker 3: I just ordered the Keno Lurber has a four K of The Phantom.
Speaker 2: Oh oh perfect.
Speaker 3: I like, here's a movie. I've owned it on VHS, I've owned it on DVD, I've owned it on Blu Ray. Here it comes the four K. Wow, I'm right or die for the fandom. Yeah, I love it, celebrating its thirtieth anniversary this year. By the way, Wow, Luke continues, he says, regardless, I've seen many Robinhood films and this is the one I come back to all the time. Sometimes you just want to escape your troubles and have an adventure. And yeah, warts and all, I love this movie. I'm with you, Luke. It's freaking great, man.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: One of my friends used to drive through the toll booth on one of the freeways here in Sydney, passing change to the operator using.
Speaker 2: Fire trucks and mortal words. Here's thirty pieces of silver for you to give the devil on your way to hell.
Speaker 3: Duck dude.
Speaker 2: That would make my day, was that operator. I would like laugh and laugh and never forget that.
Speaker 3: Anyway, keep up the good work. And that Yellowstone you mentioned in the commentary turned out to be a bit of a big deal.
Speaker 2: Ah funny. Maybe it would be kind of fun to listen to an old episode.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what we said, but that would have been like right when that show started.
Speaker 2: Well that makes sense because Kevin Costner, so we were probably like, oh, he's getting into television.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're about to say a Yellowstone here show there.
Speaker 2: Kevin, No, Jay, did you see this?
Speaker 3: By the way, you know you got the they're doing all these spinoffs now they have the Casey Dutton spinoff.
Speaker 2: To see this, Yeah, it's gonna be like a CBS procedural right right, I'm like, I love that.
Speaker 3: They're just frankensteining Yellowstone DNA into everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's gonna be the one with Michelle Pfeiffer and someone and Kurt Russell. Yeah, Kurt Russell and but that's.
Speaker 3: Like they were not characters on Yellowstone right, I'm not no, no, okay, because I watched the show, but I don't remember seeing them, so this is just sort of in the same universe.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to I've said it before and I'll say it again. I want the multi cameras Beth and Riff sitcom.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, well they are get well, they set them up to have a show, and I think there was talk of it. I haven't seen anything about that, but yes, I would really yeah, I'd rather see the three camera sitcom.
Speaker 3: I want that. I want I want the Big Bang theory to Yellowstones Young Sheldon. Right, that's that's what I do. Want to watch this Casey Dutton show just because it seems because I saw the trailer and I'm like, this seems so completely incongruous with the other show, right right, But you got you got rain Tree in there, you got a few of the other characters.
Speaker 2: I was happy to see him back. I liked that they're all getting to keep keep working doing their thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'll watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, report back, I'll let you know.
Speaker 3: Hey, Brian, we got some headlines, well, a bit of sad news just to start things off. I mean this hit, this hit like a bolt. Catherine Harra passed away about a week ago as recording this. Yeah, exactly right, age seventy one. And you know, the one sort of commonality I'm seeing in so many of the responses across the board is this generational feeling like we lost a parent.
Speaker 2: Right, am I right? Totally yep, Yeah, I mean this one hits. Yeah. I was driving I guess when the news broke and my phone just exploded. And that doesn't always happen when you know someone notable passes away. Just so many different people, like people who are my film friends, people who don't concern themselves as entertainment as much as we do. Like everybody seemed to feel this one and was me the news and yeah, you know, it's It's interesting. There's certain celebrities where you go, oh, oh, man, that's so sad to lose them, and then there are certain ones where you start to feel your eyes get a little wet, you know. And with her, I was like, oh, I'm like really kind of feeling this right now. And you know, we've been watching her for a very long time. I mean, for me, I didn't watch SCTV, but I would say probably Beetlejuice, like an eighty eight certainly. I mean Home Alone is the one right where I was ten years old, and what I love about that movie so much. I've talked about this because it was just the holidays, but I find that I love that movie more and more and more with every passing year and thinking about Catherine O'Hara and what she really brings to that movie. I think for a lot of people, when you say home Alone, they think like paint cans on a staircase, Like that's the first thing that might come to your mind. But that is the last fifteen minutes of the movie. Like, as I get older, what I really appreciate is it's about a boy who's kind of helpless and kind of a drain at the beginning, learning to grow up a little bit and become self sufficient. And and a key part of that is his mother. Yeah, you know, played so perfectly by Catherine O'Hara, because at the beginning, she's very stressed out and upset with him, and in a way that feels kind of harsh, but she's not just the ogre of a parent in a kid's movie.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, if I can just interject one observation, when he says to her, I wish you all would just disappear or something to that effect, right, she says, very calmly, I know you don't mean that. And I think that's why we love Kate much in that movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, and so yeah, so at the beginning, I mean she's especially being a grown up. Now you can understand the stress she's under that night with all those people. But then the rest of the movie, as soon as she finds out he's gone, she becomes this determined, you know mama bear, who is willing to walk through hell and endure anything, and she goes through all of it. She gets really angry, she gets really scared and sad, you know, and she even shares like a nice moment with John Candy in the back of the van on the way over there, and then you get that beautiful moment at the end where they silently apologize to each other just through looks and then they hug. Like that's who else, who else could convey all of those things? She did it so perfectly, And like you said, I think for like, yeah, some generations, she felt like kind of a mom, a figure.
Speaker 3: The fact that she's thirty five in that movie. I know, it's crazy, you know, I know, But then you.
Speaker 2: Know what's amazing, isn't She never stopped, right, She had all the Christopher guest movies and then right up to recently with Shit's Creek doing some of the best work she's ever done and Beetle Juice, Beetlejuice and exactly yeah, so, I mean, just what an incredible career and seems to be beloved by all the people in her life, and definitely beloved by the generations that have been watching her over the years, and what a beautiful thing, you know.
Speaker 3: You know, I saw an archival interviewer of her from around the time Home Alone came out, and she says, you know, I hope this is a movie that that people will want to revisit and that you know, it wouldn't it be great if people just kept going back to this every Christmas? And I mean that's exactly what it became, you know. Yeah, and she lived.
Speaker 2: To see that, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: And then the other thought I had is that, you know, Beetle, just Beatle just ends with her character dying and she goes off into the afterlife. There's there's something extra poignant about that.
Speaker 2: I thought about that, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: And then you realize, like both of the Home Alone parents are gone, Yeah, just all these things, you know. I mean, it becomes you know, because we've grown up with her, you know, like it, you become acutely aware of just sort of the passage of time. You know. I think that's why it does hit the way it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for what it's worth, I mean I worked on the movie for your Consideration, Christopher Guest movie which she was in, and had a handful of interactions with her, and she was just I was definitely starstruck, and she just couldn't have been more just sweet and very down to earth. I remember I had this one moment where I was in we were in a building that we were shooting in and I was in a room doing whatever work I was doing, and she needed to come in and rehearse something. And so I immediately, just like when like the talent enters, I was like, oh, you know, just kind of get up. She goes, oh no, no, no, like kind of sat me down. She's like, I'll just do my thing. You keep please, you know. And then she was over in the corner and she I had to do this long monologue and she just started like doing it under her breath to herself in the corner. I remember there was part of me that just I just wanted to observe it and just watch her like oh like kind of working through what she was going to do. And then I realized, like I shouldn't be watching this, Like she should be allowed to work on this in private, so she can go out there and do whatever she needs to do. So it was very That's what I remember about it is just how kind and sweet and warm she was about like leave, why would you leave, you know, kind of a feeling, but then I slowly left, and yeah, it was then I get to see what she did in the movie, and it's I'm thankful for that experience and it's a special memory for you, definitely.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to share. This was the post that Macaulay Culkin put on social media after she passed away, and of course it got a fair amount of play, but I think it really hit a lot of us, you know, as soon as we saw it, and he says, Mama, I thought we had time. I wanted more. I wanted to sit in a chair next to you. I heard you, but I had so much more to say. I love you, I'll see you later. And you know, he shared a picture of the two of them from home alone, and then the two of them from just a couple of years ago, and you realize, like for him especially, I mean, we remember all the stories about his difficult childhood and everything he went through with his parents, and so you have to imagine that that she very much served a very important role in his life growing up, right, and you know the fact that he seems to be a well adjusted adult. You know, I would imagine she has at least some some hand in that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it was very uh, I guess poignant seeing those two pictures that he posted side by side, right, because there basically it's like the same pose them almost post knows looking at one another, and it's just I just think of like you're saying time, the passage of time. Yeah, wow, Hey.
Speaker 3: The Oscars were an Oscar nominations. I should say, we're announced a little while ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you pay much attention to them anymore? Or is that sort of a thing that you just I'll see it when you know they air, or do you even watch them live anymore? Kind of I don't.
Speaker 3: Because I don't have I don't have TV live TV.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I've talked about it often. I've cut recently, and this will be the first year I don't have it for the Oscars. So most things it's pretty easy. You know, you go in peacock for US now or that kind of thing. Yeah, the Super Bowl, the Oscars, I'm like, oh, I gotta figure this out. And people used to come over to my place for the Oscars. It's like we make a party out of it. But now that I can't pause and rewind and do everything that we've grown accustomed to.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I guess you'll have to go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Maybe go somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean I pay attention to the extent that just knowing, you know, I mean, obviously it's something that we talk about on here, but you know, so much of this it's like it doesn't really matter. You know, Yeah, it's interesting as a data point.
Speaker 2: But what you realize is so.
Speaker 3: Much of the online discourse will be like, why did this get nominated?
Speaker 2: Why didn't this?
Speaker 3: And you realize, look, the stuff that's meant to live on is going to live on regardless of weather or how many nominations it has, right, you know, but I think it's worth acknowledging that Sinners has sixteen nominations, the most of all time and the most of all time. And this shows how broken the discourse is, by the way, because you got your usual mouth breathing idiots, the knuckle dragging sort who are saying, oh, look at this DEI Pick. And I'm like, if you're a view of Sinners, is that it's a quote de I Pick? Boy, you have lost the script.
Speaker 2: It's making me realize I'm so glad I'm not in online in those ways.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 2: Man, you got the right idea. Yeah, not that I want to be out of the conversation sometimes for certain things that matter. But man, I'm glad I'm missing a lot of I.
Speaker 3: Mean, this is this is this is like you don't even know what you're upset about, you know, Right, Everything I don't like is woke. That's basically the takeaway, right, right.
Speaker 2: And and again the Sinners.
Speaker 3: This is a movie that you and I both as soon as we saw it, we were like, this is one of the best movies of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was special, it really is, you know.
Speaker 3: And and so again, like there's that aspect of the discourse.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: For me, I'm I'm very happy to see it acknowledged in this way. I'm very curious. I what are what are what are the nominations? What are the big ones?
Speaker 2: Begonia okay, which I was a little surprised but happy to see F one guest picture. Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm listening to the nominations.
Speaker 3: For that's a that's a surprise.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, Bagonia F one. It feels like now that they've expanded to the ten. Yeah, they kind of put like a popular one in there. Good F one is a good movie, but you know, it's like now they have more space, so they can put something like that for F one. The nomination is the prize, absolutely right. Then you got Frankenstein, Hamnet, Marty Supreme, One Battle after another, The Secret Agent, which is the only one I haven't seen yet, Sentimental Value, Sinners, and Train Dreams. Okay, so that's a good list, I think. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, if if I were to place money, I would probably put it on Sinners.
Speaker 2: Sinners are one battle. I mean, that's a I really actually don't know. It's a kind of a coin toss for me. Right now. There's a little bit of I think giving ptas flowers thing happening.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, that's a good point, but.
Speaker 2: I mean I wouldn't I would agree with both, honestly. You know, I haven't mentioned this to you, but I'm going to a thing at the DGA tomorrow my friend Anna, she's in the DGA, and they are having a panel with all of the nominated directors. Wow. So yeah, I'm excited. It's going to be sort of like a moderated discussion with them.
Speaker 3: So oh that sounds fun.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to checking that out. But well, so the best directors who are nominated Chloe Jiao for Hamnet, Josh Safty for Marty Supreme, Paul Thomas Anderson won Battle Ran Coogler Sinners, and Brady Corbett for the brutalist stupid AI. Actually I'm not kidding. This is the Google answer and it has Brady Corbett from last year for the Brutalist. So I don't know, egg on Google's face or my face. I don't know. That's really funny. There you go.
Speaker 3: You have a real time example of why we shouldn't be relying on AIA.
Speaker 2: So who is it really? You just wasted. You just wasted a whole bunch of water for what Brian for. I didn't choose it. I just googled it.
Speaker 3: Damn it.
Speaker 2: Like why did they like insist on this AI? But okay, so because I joaqum Trier for sentimental value is the one that Google is not recognizing. So there you go.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 2: But I'm I'm looking forward to it. I I it's an event. It's an event I look forward to. I don't know that I think as seriously about them as I maybe did in the past, But it's still a fun I agree with that viewing party and just something you know, we do the uh you know, we each get ballots and see who gets the most right, and it's fun. So the ceremony is when uh about them?
Speaker 3: Let's see do the fifteenth Sunday, March fifteenth. Okay, what else we got?
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of the Super Bowl, have you seen this ad for Infinity that is basically a return to the original nineteen ninety three Jurassic Park.
Speaker 3: I did? I saw it once you once you brought it to my attention. Some wonderful corporate synergy happening here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, so tell this is a common thing, right, You get the Super Bowl ads and they usually stuff them either with like celebrities. Usually it's so funny. They're so like like TikTok fever dreams these days, right, you know, they always used to be kind of funny and zany and feature celebrities. But I feel like now they were like, well that's not enough. Why have one celebrity, Let's have four unrelated celebrities, and let's have a story that's like two minutes long, but try to get it done in thirty seconds. And it's just doesn't even make any sense by the time it ends, and then you're like Doritos, you know, like, I don't know, maybe it's me, but I just feel like I they don't feel as memorable and special as they used to. Sure feel very very desperate and expensive. Yeah, but something that they do sometimes is they'll revisit like a movie and then they'll get that celebrity back, right and you know, show a famous part from a movie from a different angle, which is what they did for Jurassic Park. And sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What did you think for this? Did this?
Speaker 3: Honestly?
Speaker 2: I was absolutely tickled by this me too. I thought this was one of the better ones I've seen in a really long time.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I to me, to me, this is what you do? And again, I mean, it's it. It is very much like playing the nostalogic notes, you know. But the fact that they got Sam Neil and Laura Durn, Jeff Goeblum back, the fact that it's relying on our familiarity with this movie that so many of us are famili you're with, all of that stuff worked for me. And it's directed by Taika white Tt By the.
Speaker 2: Way, I saw that. Yeah, and maybe that's part of it. You know, he has a good comedic sense, right, Yeah. But what I loved about it, so the whole conceit is, you know, Jurassic Park, its infrastructure is failing, but then an Exfinity guy shows up with whatever Exfinity does and then fixes all the problems, right, and so then you know, instead of everything going wrong like it does in the movie, we get to see our heroes enjoying Jurassic Park working like it's supposed to. And I was like, that's really fun, that's really clever. And they recreate a bunch of specific shots and moments from the film, right and just have funny, genuinely funny twists on them that made me laugh, you know, like the one big pile of shrimp.
Speaker 3: I like, Wi Fi finds a way Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean in that little bunker and it's like, I think we're.
Speaker 2: Back in business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Grant at the end being like, I will endorse your park.
Speaker 2: It was very funny, and it looks like the movie like they did a really great job of recreating it. So I thought it was really fun.
Speaker 3: I was. I was absolutely charmed by it, and and it absolutely it is it is Memba Barry Palooza.
Speaker 2: Definitely, but done well, done, but done well and yeah, clever twists on all of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and you know you see in the behind the scenes footage, you know, you've got the three of the three jp OG's just sitting and talking to each other, and it seems like they genuinely enjoy this shared legacy that they have, you know, hm and the fact that they get to every once in a while hang out again together, I don't know, made me happy just to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I went on the Infinity Instagram page, which I'm sure they're like, whoa, but there is a video of Sam Neil doing like a selfie video with Jeff Goldblum in the background, and he's like trying to find the right angle to show the drink in Jeff goldblumsand he's like higher left right, Like what I was like, this is delightful.
Speaker 3: That's just Malcolm and Grant exactly exactly. But hey, there's a big release out in theaters right now, Brian. No, and now we're pleased to bring you our feature.
Speaker 2: Present and we are back and you know who else is back?
Speaker 3: Brian?
Speaker 2: Who's that? Why?
Speaker 3: It's Evil Dead director Sam Ramie. Yeah, be confused with Spider Man director Sam Raimi, who.
Speaker 2: Is just as delightful.
Speaker 3: Right right, Send Help is in theaters right now, and it seems to be doing okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it over performed, didn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know it didn't cost that much either. Yeah, definitely helps.
Speaker 2: So this is this is the new thriller slash. Is it horror?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't call it a horror movie, but label horror, But I don't know. It seems like it seems like a tweeter to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but from twentyth century Fox, twenty excuse me, twenty century Studios, Fox, Am I what am I doing? It cost forty million dollars and it has made a thirty two million thus far. So I didn't end up doing okay, starring Rachel McAdams and Dylan O'Brien, and uh yeah, what do we got here? We got we got kind of a it's like Castaway meets meets something Falling here.
Speaker 2: I don't know, not exactly, but.
Speaker 3: So I just watched this last night. Yeah, and I'll tell you it's this.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 3: I went in knowing nothing other than it's Rachel McAdams on an island with the Maze Runner. Guy.
Speaker 2: Oh, you didn't even know the premise, that's all I knew. Oh wow, okay, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean I suspected it's Sam Raimi, so I figured it wasn't gonna be you know, I didn't think it was gonna be like a like a romance. But I didn't know tonally what to expect. So I was, I was, I was disgusted and fascinated in equal measure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we should say. The plot an employee and her insufferable boss becomes stranded on a deserted island. The only survivors of a plane crash. Here, they must overcome past grievances and work together to make it out alive.
Speaker 3: Good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean when I saw this trailer, I thought this is great. I mean, you have an employee who was picked on by her boss and he just seems like this kind of broie jerk, and then all of a sudd and they're put on a desert island and she's the one who has the skills to survive on the island, and I mean, what does she do? Is she is she kind and helpful? Or is this an opportunity to take out everything that she's been experiencing from him and make him suffer, right, you know, and so that's like, that's a delicious premise. And then you know it comes from Sam Raimi, so you know it's gonna be kind of quirky and fun and a little little horror twinged.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So but it sounds like it worked for you.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, Yeah, I mean I think this is the best kind of movie in that you're you're you're leaning forward at every step because you just don't know what's going to happen next.
Speaker 2: Isn't that the best? Like that's that was the same experience I had. It's like, I mean, that's an incredible setup. But then what that's right? And the movie I thought was very successful in making me I didn't know what was going to happen next consistently.
Speaker 3: There was there was one element of the plot that I that I pegged early on, which I won't talk about just yet. Yeah, and so to some extent I was waiting to be proven right about what I had pegged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what struck me well, first of all, Rachel McAdams Regina George, right, Like if you would have told me twenty two years ago that, oh yeah, Regina George is going to be just like one of the best actresses we have out there right right, you know what I mean, Like not to say she was bad and mean girls, I don't even mean that, yeah, but like she has such range just in this movie, m there are there are so many layers to a fascinating character.
Speaker 2: I mean, the fact is.
Speaker 3: The movie and you don't know what you're supposed to feel about her.
Speaker 2: That's what I love. And that's the thing, right when you have the person who's been picked on and then she has a moment where she can have the upper hand, that seems pretty simple and almost like you could have this sort of revenge y comedy where we enjoy it's like a wish fulfillment thing, like getting to watch someone take it out on their boss. But the movie isn't that simple, right, you know what I mean? Like they're both kind of shades of gray, you know, I mean, he veers mostly in jerkland.
Speaker 3: He's just really pretty terrible, yes, but.
Speaker 2: Like they at least take the time for him to talk about what crappy parents he had, So there's like a moment where he feels like a three dimensional human being to me, even if he remains mostly kind of a jerk, which I appreciated. And there are moments where he's put in situations where I felt a little bad for him, you know, which was unexpected. And then with her, she's not just this victim and like a a righteous person who's just like she has kind of like murkier moments, which I really appreciated. It was throwing me off balance the whole time, and that's what makes it as good as it is.
Speaker 3: I think, right, I think that the broad outlines of this type of story you could imagine the romance version, sure, and and not knowing going in what to expect, I was like, please don't let this be that. Oh that's so interesting that yeah, if you hadn't seen the trailer, yeah right, so I was. I was absolutely, you know, delighted that it was very much the opposite of that. You know, Uh, there's there's plenty of ripped scalps and gouged eyes. Let's just still without that's not even a spoiler. But this is not a romance, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so funny because yes, I still wouldn't classify this is a horror movie, but it's certainly made by a horror director, and so yes, you do get a lot more fluids and gore in this movie than you might from someone else. But what I think it showcases is what a master of tone Sam Raimi is because those disgusting moments in any other movie might have had me turning away and going like gross, dude, like what's the matter with you? But in this they kind of had me laughing. Yeah, exactly, Like they struck the perfect balance, Like there's a moment with a bore that is just really really gross, but I was laughing so hard at the same time. It was that perfect magical thing, right where a gross thing is like, but you can't help but laugh because of it's so intense and kind of funny but also gross, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know. One thing I always point to when it comes to Sam Raimie is like the horror moments in non horror movies, like in Dark Man, you know the scene when when Liam Neesen is first turned into dark Man, or in Spider Man two, you know when Doc OK's arms first come alive, you know, yes, and you realize, like this is where Raymy's having the most fun. And so that's what I was thinking about in this, Like you can tell he's he's enjoying the fact that he doesn't have to confine those instincts to just like a scene. He can spread it out over over two hours.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: But I like how it's there's this slow build up, right because because essentially you have you know, kind of use it's a falling down esque story for like the first twenty minutes or whatever. Right, Yeah, someone who's had enough exactly and has an opportunity to maybe lash out and then and then the plane hits turbulence and at that point we like crossover into the horror realm with all the.
Speaker 2: With all that implies.
Speaker 3: You know, there's there's forks being stabbed, there's there's people being pulled into engines, there's all the all the fixens.
Speaker 2: You know. I don't want to spoil it, but there was a moment that made me really laugh with the with the window the window thing, Yeah, where she pulls the shade down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we just end up going on a journey. Man, I'm telling like this, this is this is This was my thought. Literally halfway through, I'm watching in the theater and I'm I'm not even like I love this, I'm like, I love movies. That was my thought. I'm sitting in this absolutely dark theater and I'm just letting this movie happen. I have no idea what's going on, And that was my thought. I love the movies, dude.
Speaker 2: I had something kind of sil where I thought I miss this. Yeah, like, this is a movie back in the day, you just give a shot on a Friday night exactly, and it's got a great hook. You don't know where it's going. It's not trying to be anything more than entertaining for two hours and you're out.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Or like it's a great rental at Blockbuster where you go, hey, that was really fun, and then you return it. It's it's a delightful distraction, you know, like it's it's just and and also I feel like so many movies I talk about this, like you don't see a lot of pushings anymore in movies like that used to be a visual language. You know, the character's thinking something, the characters realizing something. You push in the camera a little bit like things are just more captured now and the care the camera isn't as much of a narrator. But watching this because Raymie's a little bit more old school, I actually was like wow, blocking you know, like motivated camera movement style and score. That doesn't sound like it came from a royalty free collection. You know, it's Danny Elfman. And I was like, yay, I had too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, man, I'm glad that Danny Elfman and Sam Raimy got over whatever like tif they had.
Speaker 2: Yep, they're back together.
Speaker 3: That's good. This is how it should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like this isn't like something that's gonna be on everyone's top tens at the end of the year or whatever. But it doesn't.
Speaker 3: It's not meant to be, Like this is just what we used to get at the end of the day, like a good Friday night movie made well and you're gonna have a good time. And and I will say to whatever extent there's there's a shagginess to the story where you maybe have to squint past certain things. Actually, this is a rock star performance by Rachel Like Adams, she is absolutely magnetic in this movie. You cannot look away from her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll probably mention this moment again later because I want to spoil something. But at the beginning, she's sort of frumpy, and it's a very she's all that frumpy because like, you can't make rich and make out on scrumpy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny because you know, there's one moment where she has a little bit of tuna salad on the side of her mouth, like repulse and I was like, I don't care, I don't mind. But then once she gets on the island, there's this moment where she's kind of bathing in this waterfall and she's just feeling herself like she is just like this is who she truly is on the inside now on the outside, and she looks different and whatever, and I was like, what a it's hard to try to make her feel awkward at the beginning, but they do. They do make her. You know, she makes a lot of awkward decisions and has a lot of awkward interactions, and it was like a real great yeah, her performance where she kind of grows more comfortable, right, and you know, and when she's able to weave hats and I enjoyed seeing that transformation. I thought she did a good job of that, and then you can understand why maybe it's for her. It's not so bad being there, right, she's kind of in her element. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and and we should talking about Dylan O'Brien. Oh dude, he's so good in this You know this guy, I mean, like I I know him primarily from from uh May's Runner.
Speaker 2: Oh see, I have not. I haven't seen him in anything. Yeah, I knew him from that. And then and then the only other thing I saw.
Speaker 3: Him in was was that Shoot American Assassin.
Speaker 2: Oh, the Kevin Costner thing.
Speaker 3: No, No, Michael Keaton was in that.
Speaker 2: Oh Michael Keaton that's right, that's right. Costner played a serial.
Speaker 3: Killer in some movie in something, and mister mister Brooks, mister Brooks. Yeah, And so you know, like I, I just he hasn't ever really impressed me. Not to say that sounds bad.
Speaker 2: I like, I just.
Speaker 3: You know, I was just like, oh, it's it's that guy, and he's fine, you know, but I really like I think the he found this this wavelength in this movie where he has to be weasley and pretty terrible, but he can't lean too far into that direction.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And and again, remember I'm going and thinking, so are they doing like a like a mismatched romance thing.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yeah, they tease that a little bit, they.
Speaker 3: Tease, right, so so that's like you can't make him too vile, but they make him pretty vile. Yes, And I think that's see, that's what That's what made it interesting to me is that really this is this is a movie about like the sort of the the the vileness that we all carry inside of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it really is, isn't it right?
Speaker 3: And like how much do we let that define us? You know? And and I think that comes to bear in a lot of interesting ways, you know, I think, I think I think, like I said at the start of this conversation, I mean, I don't know how we're supposed to feel at the end of it, which.
Speaker 2: I kind of enjoy And I saw it with a couple people, and one person did not enjoy it as much because he was sort of like, well, what was that like about? Hmm? And I think the ending especially kind of made him him feel that, And I I can appreciate that.
Speaker 3: I actually appreciate that he had that response because I think it's a healthy response to be honest.
Speaker 2: Actually, yes, yes, right, but it didn't bother me as much. Right, I don't know, we can get into it, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well do we want to want to talk spoilers?
Speaker 2: Well, I want to say something real fast. Last thing I'll say before spoilers is I noticed something. A character looks into the camera twice in this movie, which I freaking love. I don't know what it is about that, but I love it, and you can't do it and everything. But when it's used right, and it's not even like an A fairs Bueller type movie where they are serving as a narrator or talking to the camera, like just the whole movie isn't like that, but then for some reason, in one moment, the character will just look at you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always find that so impactful. And then watching The Burbs, Corey Feldman talks to the camera at the end of that and I was like, oh interesting. And then I was like, oh, this is kind of like a horror comedy director thing. So like John Landis, you know what I mean, Like he was American Werewolf in London or whatever, and he has his characters and almost all his movies they look at the camera. Sam Raimi here, Joe Dante and the burbs.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: I just thought that was like a funny, weird little connection with like horror comedy directors. How often they have their actors actually look into the camera.
Speaker 3: That is interesting.
Speaker 2: Eh, anyway, I just had to point that outright, bring on the spoilers. Spoiler.
Speaker 3: So the one thing that I clocked early on was when she's giving Dylan O'Brien the tour of the island and she's like, Hey, those rocks that are like an ex don't go past them because there's like thorns or whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: And I was like, there's gonna be like a resort or something.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought was gonna happen a resort.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So so I kept I had that kind of like a stick pin in my mind. So every time, you know, he was like, oh, I'm gonna go exploring, She's like, oh, but well remember the thorns.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what, I'll just go with you.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, you know so that was fun, Like that wasn't I don't even say that was like a it was too obvious. It was like that you're like waiting for that that thread to get pulled, you know, yes, right, but how how how do you feel about about Rachel's character Linda. By the end of the movie.
Speaker 2: I mean, are you saying a few, Linda? Are you saying, my gosh, that was a few brad dude. When he poisons her and then he just has this janky raft raft like he pulls out of the bushes. Yeah, afew, Linda, I was cracking. And then I love that she gets to do it again later, like if you Bradley.
Speaker 3: Oh and she just she just barfs NonStop onto his face.
Speaker 2: Oh and he and it's because of him. Yeah, he did it. He poisoned her, which was disgusting, by the way. You know what, I almost missed it because for some reason I turned to my neighbor and was saying something real quickly, We're like, oh, And then I looked over and I caught the end of the puking.
Speaker 3: I was like, what what?
Speaker 2: What did I going on?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But yes, no, I mean what I like about the ending is that I don't feel great about it, you know what I mean, Like, she basically gets away, well even earlier than that, we're in spoilers here. So when she lets the fiance die, now, she doesn't let them die. She makes sure that they die, she kills them, and the fiance is completely innocent.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Like when she showed up, I was like, what an incredible human, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Right, She's like everybody else gave up, but I never did, yes, because I mean, at the beginning of the movie, you're seeing a lot of almost stereotypes of certain types of like you know, bosses or wealthy people or whatever, and she's just this gorgeous.
Speaker 2: You know, looks like a model, and she's with this jerk of a guy, so you just maybe assume they're like birds of a feather or something. But then when she shows up and she went through, you know, all this work to find her fiance, You're like, what an amazing persons And then Linda, you know, makes her walk past a path that she is counting on her falling from, and when she doesn't fall, she makes sure that she falls, and not just her, but the poor guide who has nothing to do with anything. Yeah, I mean, she she bashes him in the head with the rock with the rock. Yeah. And so I'm glad that I got thrown off balanced that early, I guess, yeah, because then I don't know who I'm rooting for exactly, you know what I mean, And it's not as jarring at the end when she kind of succeeds, but like are we happy about it because it involved murder? And see as.
Speaker 3: Soon as the first time she sees that boat and she's like not yet.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, so I just want to say that that was that moment where you know, she's got at the beginning of the movie, her hair's stringing in her head. Right after that, right, she's wearing fronty clothes, and then she has that moment where she's like taking kind of like a bath, like you just need sixpence down the Richard to start playing yes, but yeah, that's the thing I mean. Then they're like showing you like gorgeous Rachel McAdams, just like she's in like a shampoo commercial, like she is in heaven, is so happy experiencing her true self and true happiness, and then she sees a boat yep, and it's like that first moment of peace we've ever seen her experience. And then there's a possible end to it appearing right right.
Speaker 3: So for me, that's the first moment where I'm like, oh, she's she's not like one hundred percent like a good guy, and so that allowed me room to encompass everything else that ends up happening.
Speaker 2: Same, You're right, it calibrated me. So I didn't get his thrown and I didn't even mind the kind of possibly not happy ending.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and we have that, and then you know, when she reveals she gets a little she gets a little tipsy, and yeah, talk about how her husband died.
Speaker 2: Yes, And you're like, okay, well she's not like.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent good person, but.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because that story could like skew one way or the other. You know, it is, it's not great like she did.
Speaker 3: She's talking correctly responsible for him dying.
Speaker 2: It's almost like the way I took it is she's not necessarily directly responsible, but she allowed it. Right, Well, what does she say?
Speaker 3: Right? I would hide his keys so that he couldn't drive. And then this one time I was like, here's your keys.
Speaker 2: No, you're right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, well she knew it was going to happen. Yeah, Like I took my keys out of my person, I handled them to him.
Speaker 2: And my first thought actually was like, well, that's terrible because who could he kill? Right, and not even just thinking of the husband.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone driving drunk on the street. Who knows who the innocent person they could hurt, you know, right, But yeah, it's it's one of those things where and even in that moment, and maybe it's just me, but like the way that it played was that's not good. But like that's like a moment where a person had a dark moment and they still think about it to this day.
Speaker 3: Well just look at the range of emotions on her face.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. I don't even remember much cuts. Yeah, yeah, yeah, she's alone.
Speaker 3: No, it was it was done in one day. It reminded me of of of you know, Pearl hmm, you know the shot at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh interesting, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's kind of a similar character to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But like I guess what I'm trying to say is I can imagine a character who's done something like that and like, oh, that's not good. Yeah, but they could They're not so far gone from me that I don't think they could be like redeemed or something. Right, But then now we've got a little bit of a murkiness to her. But then she then she goes and shows that maybe that darkness is a bigger part of her than we first realized, exactly, right.
Speaker 3: And I think that's that's what made it interesting to me. Yeah, was you know, the fact that this is this is a complicated story, a gross complicated story, you know. And then man, I'm telling you that the the business see here's here's what I mean about, like you sort of look past some of the shagginess. Like to me, when Bradley finds the body of his fiance, that.
Speaker 2: Was I was like, come on really, and it's almost comical the way the hand is just propped in the sand like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like there's like I was like, oh, did like the pig pull that out or something? But you know, like I was like, it doesn't make sense to me that Linda would like what she found the body she why would she if if why would she bury it so shallow?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I had all those thoughts, And it's like a necessity of the plot because it's like, Okay, we got to wrap this ship up, you know, But you go with it because by then you're so invested in everything else that's happened, right, And yeah, I mean I think the beauty of it is by the by the time they're they're just tearing pieces out of each other. Literally, Yeah, you're kind of like I don't know who to root for here.
Speaker 2: You know, I know, and it just the way he sticks is like thumb in her eyes.
Speaker 3: Jeez.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, Sam Raimi exactly exactly. But like he does again being the master of this tone, like it's like this grounded cartoonishness almost yeah, with these sort of icky occasional moments, but he keeps us on the right side of kind of chuckling and turning our eyes versus actually being repulsed. I love that tone.
Speaker 3: It helps that Rachel McAdams is having the time of her life, totally laying to see when she swallows the ring and she's like, ah, I'm like, oh, yes, oh, Rachel, is this is this she's in heaven?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, you know well and then now I can get more into detail. But when she's hunting that boar, ye, and she's does like that brave heart move where it's charging at her and then she holds up that spear and it goes in his chest but it's still not dead, so it's still slowly coming at her, but it's spewing a geyser of blood into her eyes. It won't stop.
Speaker 3: It's like.
Speaker 2: It's so grow. In any other movie, they would do it wrong and I'd be like, oh what are you doing? But like this, I'm like repulsed and laughing, you know. And then you get her just looking like Carrie, you know, dust in blood, and she'd be like, have you ever hunted before? I like it? It's so fun.
Speaker 3: So what do you think about about the ending?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess the bad guy won, you know what I mean, through multiple murders. Now now she's living her best life and she's playing the game, you know, the game of golf, which at the beginning was seen as the thing that the elites or the other people play versus the have nots, you know. But now she's playing their game and she's living her best self and she looks freaking gorgeous, and everybody's interviewing her on the news and saying like, oh, you're the You're the hero who survived. What an amazing thing. You're a superstar, and she's loving it. Yeah, right, and and we know that, you know, it all came from bad things and and I love that shot. Then you know, she's all smiles for the cameras, but then when she's in the car with her parakeet, and then she looks at the camera, but she doesn't like wink. She kind of gives us this like weird, sinister look, like I know, we know what we know, and don't you dare tell anybody exactly. It's kind of the look she gives you. And I'm like, oh, I love it.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what else, I what I really liked is that we go from her swinging the golf club is at his face.
Speaker 2: What a cut?
Speaker 3: What a cut? Right? And they leave it up to you to figure out what what.
Speaker 2: She did in the aftermath of that. You know, they don't explain it at all.
Speaker 3: They're just like, she was found in the middle of the ocean, yep, and so that means she cleaned that joint up.
Speaker 2: She like, you know, all the stuff that she had to do. Point evidence, right, and clearly she has not been found out so exactly, so she's straight up nuts, you know. Right, that's a good point, you know what I mean? You know, and I like to this is like when a story is done well, when she has that knife and he's like, where'd you get that? And she's like, oh, washed up on shore.
Speaker 3: Yeap.
Speaker 2: In my head, I was like, that doesn't make sense, right, and you're like, oh, okay, bias. She said it. Yeah, this is the movie is saying yeah, and she at that point she seems like kind of like she knows what she's doing. So I just believed it. And then later when you know, yeah, you reveal there's not a resort on the other side of the island, but there's this you know, rich per since like vacation home or something, and she's been going in there and drinking all the water and enjoying all the fruit, and she took the knife from there. I loved that because I believed her, yep, you know. And then fun to see her secret, yeah, yep, yep. Yeah that was And I was just laughing too. And I mean, she's got these backpacks that she's woven, you know. And then the other guy he can't even like keep himself hydrated, and he's like watching her like serve herself sushi on these little plates that she's made out of like you know, like leaves, Like I don't know, that's that's the thing, right, It's got all the tones and somehow they don't cancel each other out like they all exist perfectly.
Speaker 3: I think that in the hands of another director, this could have gone any number of ways. But I think I think Sam Raimi he plays us like a harp. I agree, like a harp from hell. One might say yes, yeah, uh yeah, so hey, thumbs up for for send.
Speaker 2: Help, thumbs up. This is a great lark.
Speaker 3: But know what you're getting, like, you're gonna get some gore in here, yes, so, uh, just know that going in agreed, Agreed, This isn't what is that swept away that that movie with Madonna? Donna?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this ain't that. Yeah, just be aware. Yeah, but but not full on horror either. No, you know, I mean, just know you're gonna get some gross mood.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get some some gore. Yeah, all right, but hey, let us know your thoughts on sand To help, you can email us at Movie Film Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave a review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps. Also on Spotify and hey, if you're listening to this show on YouTube, please it's subscribe and hit like that stuff actually does matter and so you know, those subscription numbers actually do end up being important. So please if you could support us that way, and of course leave comments there, we do read those on the show. Oh, we also have a Patreon ran.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done in every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free, and beginning this year, we are now dropping bonus conversations over there, things that we just didn't have time to fit into a regular episode. We'll be doing that about twice a month, and as we mentioned earlier, we have a conversation over there going up either today or very soon where we were talking about late night talk show hosts that was a lot of fun. Our free feed, of course, will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show, which is without ads and interruptions, butting into the conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. If you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 3: There we go, and if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zachie's Corner. That's the Aki S Corner. You can also read my reviews and other articles at the San Francisco Chronicle, also at IGN and The Rap. Also there's a brand new interview up at the Nostalgia Theater podcast, so if you have that show, subscribe check that out. I spoke with Kenneth Johnson just from a couple of years ago. He created the mini series V as well as TV's Incredible Hulk and TV's Alien Nation. And it's a fun discussion, so that's worth listen if that's the type of thing you like.
Speaker 2: What about you, Brian, And he directed Short Circuit too, he did. That's right, that's right. Yeah, I haven't bookmarked, I haven't heard it yet, but I haven't set aside to listen to this weekend, so I got nice. Yeah, and yeah, you can check out episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures over on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: And with that on behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachisa.
Speaker 2: This has been Movie Film three point thirty six.
Speaker 3: We'll catch next time.
Speaker 1: Thanks everybody, welcome friends with the Movie podcast again podcasts and joying the show Jack again, Bryan.
Speaker 2: They're talking about the movie's Mommy Now podcast
Speaker 3: On the video