Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off.
Speaker 3: Our show, idiot, the kids are playing or tail off.
Speaker 1: Your countries are.
Speaker 3: Screwing it up.
Speaker 2: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inn Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Now? Here's nick coffee? All right, folks, are we ready to do this? Ready or not? It's happening. It's three o'clock. It's time to get this thing rolling. Coffee and Company. That's the name of the program. I've done a complete one eighty on program. I used to feel like when someone would call a radio show a program that it just made it sound like boring and you know, nothing what I would want a show that I host to be. But I now find it more so sounding professional. John.
Speaker 3: I think i'd agree with you. I don't know what it is, but it seems like that word in general, over the last couple of years has kind of, you know, gained some respect, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 1: Well, and again, It's probably always had some respect in the eyes of some, but I just felt like it was kind of corny and boring. But then again, you know, maybe I'm as I'm getting older, maybe I'm becoming more corny and boring. I mean, I hope not, but you know what, life happens. So welcome into the program. Here it is Coffee and Company. That's the name of the program and the program. Some people like calling it the program program. Yeah, I mean, if maybe we had a little southern twang, maybe we say program. The program is fueled by Thornton's And I'm sure you knew that. If not, now you do. My name is Nick Coffee the company man, mister John Alden alongside as we take you up till six o'clock, take us with you wherever you go, and I mean wherever. In fact, that makes me want to throw it out there to the to the audience, like what's the if you are somebody that does, in fact listen to this show exclusively on the iHeartRadio app because you stream it like you're never around a radio or never in your car, so it's just nothing but the the the app. Like I wonder where the most random place somebody could have been listening. And I don't mean like across the planet. I mean like, I don't know, maybe you know, maybe you're somebody who maybe you're a plumber and you're out on a job and you're you know, you got your you got your head down somebody's toilet trying to get things fixed. But you know what, you got your headphones in and you're listening to Coffee and Company. So that's why I say, however, you're you know, wherever you are, whatever you're doing, you could take us with you as long as you have some type of connectivity you got to have. You gotta have some service rather it be Wi Fi, you know, cell surface, so always always available to listen, regardless of what you're doing. So you know, there's no excuse, so stick with us for the next three hours. I hope you do exactly that. If not, you know, I think that's a mistake you're making that you and you will later regret. But you know, it's your life. You can make your choices, all right. If you want to join us today on the show, we'll let you do that. Five two, five to seven to one seventy nine hundred is the number if you guys want to give us a call, you can text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five oh two six five three zero seven ninety. A couple of guests are going to join us today. We're going to be joined coming up at four h five by Zach Barnetta FootballScoop dot Com, catch up with him on the latest here in college football. And then at five point thirty we're going to bring in mister Kendrick Haskins of Way three Sports get his thoughts on a variety of things, including the local teams. Obviously we are right smack dab in the middle of football season, but obviously basketball season. Uh is is kind of here right exhibition game for Louisville on Monday night and then Kentucky plays Kentucky Wesleyan tonight. So kind of feels like we're hitting that hitting that sweet spot of the year, at least for me when it comes to the calendar year where you got both going on basketball, college basketball and college football, and the NBA started last night and I had no plans to watch the NBA, uh And I got to stop saying and I think I have stopped, but at one point, probably early on whenever we started working together, John, I would say, well, you know, I mean I like the NBA more than more than most, because I felt like I was somebody that that did, in fact like and follow the NBA more than the average basketball fan here in this market, just because we're we care about college basketball way more than professional basketball. I used to say that from time to time because it used to be true. Now it's not like if I said that, I'd be lying. I didn't even know that the NBA season started yesterday until I showed up to dinner to meet my family and I saw the Celtics getting their rings from last year's title. And I'm sure I'm not alone. But like I used to really get into the NBA, and now I have like no interest in it, Like I don't find the product to be entertaining. I don't really have a lot of interest in what is the real buzz in the NBA these days, which is which is really about all the off the court stuff, like, and it's a good thing for the NBA, meaning their product, their league has talked about year round, probably more than maybe any any league outside of the NFL. But the NFL is king in a different way as far as viewership and interest in the product, you know, even though I think it's actually been kind of down this year. I mean, an NFL Sunday is is damn near erotic for a lot of people in this country because we love, we love football. Were you looking at me weird like that? John? You know what I mean? Like you don't think people get bricked up for some football on a Sunday. It's America.
Speaker 3: And then I thought I would because I'm winning my fantasy league, my very fantasy league.
Speaker 1: A late start for John and fantasy football, but he's having fun and he's having some success, so that's that's certainly a way to keep you locked into the NFL. So again with the NBA, like with guys always moving around and any given night somebody gets blasted by thirty Like I just I personally don't find it entertaining. It doesn't appeal to me, and it makes me sad because you know, I used to love the NBA. But clearly they they have an audience that that that you know, gives them, gives them the ability to lock in that insanely lucrative new contract that they got where you know you've got NBC back in the mix. Obviously there's gonna be a lot. I mean the new their new Metea Riites deal that of course became big news this past I guess this right after their their their season came to an end. And obviously we now know that TNT inside the NBA, this could be the last year of it. Like the amount of money they got is something I never would have expected because I mean I just assumed that a lot of people don't really watch the NBA that much, but clearly they play eighty two games a year. There's enough people watching, and they got a lot of money when it comes to their broadcast, right, so you know it, it kind of hit me, you know I I without even any maybe out of sight, out of mind, but like I I just if I if I told myself, hey, you should get into the NBA this year, Nick, you should watch more games, it would be like a chore. It would be like me tell like, I just don't have any interest in it. And again it makes me sad. So the biggest story in the NBA is obviously Bronnie James playing last night with his son, and it was it was well, I'll back up just a second here because I had no plans to watch it. It was not something I would have said, Okay, is he going to get in, let me turn it on. It just so happened to work out to where I did, in fact watch it because that game started a little later. Obviously, the Celtics and the and the Tea Wolves played the first game last night in the opening in the opening night, but I was on the recliner, my daughter and my wife had gone to bed, and Moose was still up with dad. And he likes to watch. If there's football or basketball on, he wants to watch. Or if no, there's no games on, he wants to watch old wrestling, which is, you know, not something I ever would have expected with my four year old son, but here we are. So, you know, he my son likes Lebron because he's one of few NBA players that like he can you know, he sees in commercials, he sees in you know, he's got a space Jam blanket and all that kind of stuff. So like he you know, like most kids, one of the first basketball players that he is learning about and knows of and can recognize is maybe the most famous or one of the most famous athletes on the planet. So you know, I'm not really a big Lebron guy and certainly not a big Lakers fan, but I'm not going to tell my son that if he wants to cheer for him, that's great. So it just happened to work out to where I was, in fact watching the game. I had it on and I was watching with my son as Lebron James and Bronni James checked into the game together, and I didn't really have much of a reaction at all other than thinking to myself, this is really cool. Like I'm a dad, and if that ever, I mean obviously it's it would never happen for me. So it's not like something I thought about, like, well, what that was me and Moose, that'd be kind of cool like that that that visual didn't enter my brain because again, that's just not it's not real life. But like as a dad, I found myself not really being critical of Lebron but really just thinking like, hey, you know what, like he built a career for himself. He has done enough for the game, And I mean he could have walked away years ago and it would have been a surprise because he still plays at a high level. But like he has nothing really to prove. I don't think. I mean, that's just my opinion. I'm sure others, you know, hesitate to call in one of the greats because you are more so a Jordan guy and I am too, But like, I think both guys can be you know, legendary for you know, for their own reasons. So you know, for a brief moment, I'm like, well, you know what, man, I'm not really thinking much about Bronnie. I'm thinking about Lebron and I'm thinking about a dad, him being a dad, and like that would be like if he had the ability to do that, why not, right, Like, I think, you know the answers that a lot of people are probably yelling right now who are so irritated and triggered and bothered by this whole thing. And by the way, if you're in that group, I totally get it. But you know, I think if you Lebron and you you know he and by the way, I don't believe he has self awareness, but let's just say he did and somebody set him down and was like, look, I get it, Like you you could make this happen. You are probably the only NBA player right now that if that is in this situation. I mean, most guys aren't as old as Lebron, so they don't have kids that are even old enough to be in the NBA yet. However, like Lebron is the one guy they could get it done. But if somebody wanted to play Devil's advocate and say, look, hear me out, man, you're gonna set this kid up for for, you know, some real struggles, because there's gonna be a lot of expectation and hype around him because he's your son, and he may not be ready for that. But I still think if you're a Lebron and you and you are aware of some potential you know, issues for Bronni to where this actually wouldn't be a great thing for him in the grand scheme of things, like I think you could, you know, again, try to put yourself in his shoes. Really hard to do because you know, he's Lebron James and we're not, but I think you would you would maybe quickly just move on from the potential issues and think, I don't care. I want to be on the NBA floor with my son, and if I have the ability to make that happen, I'm going to do it because that's what I'm going to do. I'm a dad, and you know I'm Lebron James. You know, it clearly speaks to some arrogance. Obviously, Bronni is taking a spot from somebody that you know doesn't have a dad that happens to be one of the best players of all time. But like I found myself for a moment at least understanding the whole aspect here from from Lebron's standpoint, and again, it's a no brainer if you really think about it. I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to say they got to play a professional sport at the same time on the same team with their kid or with their dad, Like you know, when you look at it from that perspective and you try to put yourself in his shoes, again, easier said than done. And you think about it from like a dad's perspective, like I'm not really bothered by Lebron, And to be honest with you, like the Lakers right them drafting Bronni and acting like it's because of anything other than him being his father, like that is, you know, or him being Lebron's son. Obviously Lebron being his father like them acting like that wasn't the meet again. It's one thing though, I mean, you know they're not going to come out and say it, right, like, yeah, we actually don't think this kid's any good at all. But you know what, like this is clearly going to get a lot of attention, believe it or not, the NBA professional sports, it is show business, it's entertainment, and this is a storyline that obviously is going to get us a lot, you know. So like, you know, they're not going to come out and say that, and nobody should ever expect them to, but it was kind of rich for everybody involved in the press conferences after Bronny got drafted to just really just treat everybody listening as if we're all dumbasses, like we didn't you know, like we like we would just believe, Okay, yeah, this kid out of us CEO just so happens to have a dad on the team, But man, you drafted him because he's just got so much upside. So like again, from the Lakers perspective, you know, I've I've been critical of them because to me, it kind of seems like it's, you know, like a Mickey Mouse kind of thing. To do. But I did hear Brian Winhorst, who of course is always going to be always going to be in in Lebron James's corner, I mean Windhorst, Wendy as they call him. I mean, he really was able to create a career for himself by covering Lebron in high school. I mean, I don't know if people know that story, but that's where Wendy got his start. He was a guy who worked for one of the newspapers in either Cleveland or maybe it was Acron, and he had access to Lebron and that Saint Vincent, Saint Mary's team, and sure enough, he turned that into a career where he's now, you know, one of the top insiders in the NBA. So again, I know that what he said here is what you would expect a guy who does have close ties to Lebron and his family. He but he made the point that the Lakers are are actually I'll just let you guys hear for yourself, because this again, like it's still should it can be mocked, and I have no issue with it because again, like they're not drafting Bronni because they think Bronni's gonna be potentially like a you know, a ten year vet that's, you know, all star caliber guy. They drafted him because of who his dad is, but you know, his dad isn't just some random journeyman in the nba' His dad's Lebron James. And I thought Wendy did a good job of kind of laying out why doing this for Lebron and not really just Brony, but doing it for Lebron still makes sense for them.
Speaker 2: If you're a father, you're gonna have us, You're gonna feel a certain way about your son being with you. What the Lakers are doing here is trying to get the most out of Lebron. This is an investment not just in history, it's an investment on engaging and energizing your franchise player at age thirty nine. And I think it's working. Lebron is completely engaged and energized. And I think JJ Reddick is making a very smart move, totally leaning into this, totally embracing this, setting this up and making it happen.
Speaker 1: And it's not going to define the season. I don't even know if it's going to define this.
Speaker 2: Week for the Lakers, but it's going to be so important to their franchise player.
Speaker 1: I've not heard anybody lay it out like that, and that, in my opinion, actually makes a lot of sense because it would. You know, some will say, well, you shouldn't have to it's your job, you make a lot of money. You shouldn't have to have your kid at work with you to be energiz didn't want to do your job fair enough. But if at thirty nine and a guy who's accomplished what he's accomplished is burned out and not energized, it would make total sense. Again, what the hell does Lebron James have left proved anybody like him? Even going to LA in the last what four years, however long he's been there, Like that was to me kind of his sign of yeah, I'm still gonna play and I'm going to play at a high level. But I also have a lot of other projects. I need to be in Hollywood because you know what, I got a lot of business ventures and it's not just basketball for me anymore. So I think this is the way to get the most. I mean, it's crazy to say, but like Lebron at thirty nine, I don't think he's like hit a wall just yet. He's probably not, you know, he's clearly not what he was at you know, in his twenties. But like it is insane the way this man is still able to play the game the way he plays at thirty nine years old, with a lot of miles on him as a pro athlete, a guy who's probably taken more contact than anybody in NBA history because he's a physical specimen. And you know, if you can get a few more years out of him play playing at a really really high level, maybe a higher level than he's ever played at in LA, because maybe he's more energized than he's ever been since arriving with the Lakers, that's worth that's worthwhile. That that you know, I'd never once thought about it from from that perspective, is that they've got Lebron James, one of the best of all time. And if you really want to get the most out of him and make that, you know, make it last as long as possible. If it took draft and his son in the second round and letting him play a couple of minutes a game, it's worth it. And I don't know if you know, it's it's one game, and again that's one of my issues with the NBA is that, like you could, you could win three games in a row and you know, average margin of victory be near twenty, and then come out and lose by fifty the next night. Like that's just what the NBA is, and I don't think that's good for the product. But so far, in one game, this Minnesota Timberwolves team that a lot of people really think are legitimate title contenders, they got waxed by this Lakers team. So you know, it's just one game, and I get why everybody's annoyed by it, but I've never once thought about looking at it from that perspective. The Lakers are not just doing this because they want to make Lebron happy and they want, you know, a made for TV movie kind of story. They're gonna give Lebron what he wants. And it's not just because like, hey, we're going to give you some more money, or we're gonna go we're going to go a trade for somebody that you want. We're going to fire a coach and hire JJ Reddick like you wanted. Those are things that I'm sure you know Lebron clearly had a factor. And I mean Lebron's had a factor in everything any team he's ever played for has done. He has because he's Lebron. But the one thing that might actually energize him more than anything is playing with his firstborn son. Like that's cool as hell, to be honest with you. So, you know, I just wanted to give a little bit of a different perspective on it because I hadn't heard a whole lot of people looking at it from that perspective, and I think it does, in fact make sense. Doesn't mean people aren't going to be, you know, pissed off about it, because I totally get it. But I mean, I think if this does make Lebron go from being a dude who was closer to being out at forty to being a guy that's out it, I don't know, forty three and he's played and he's and you know, they make some deep runs here in the playoffs, so maybe they get a ring. I mean, Anthony Davis is a pretty good player too. Obviously. Dalton Connect I think was a steal for them in the first round. He was great last night. Like, if it works out, you can look back and say, yeah, it might have looked like a big publicity stunt, but it might have might have gotten him a ring or two along the way. So again I get why people are, you know, bothered by it, But in the moment itself, like it didn't feel like I actually thought it was hilarious to have Ken Griffy Junior and King Graffy Senior there. They took they all took pictures that the four of them took pictures. Ron bron and Browny and Ken Griffy Senior and King Griffy Junior all took a picture because they became the first I guess, you know, I guess now it's happened with Major League Baseball with the Griffies, and then obviously it's happened last night with with Lebron and his son. But like you know, it did kind of feel like forced. And that's where like, if you're ESPN after the game or whatever it was it on TNT, I think it was TNT, like you'd be foolish not to have Brony and Lebron they're talking after the game to Taylor Rooks like again, and and I don't really know how. I mean, again, if you have the BROADCA, you'd be foolish to just ignore that as as a big talking point, rather it be during the broadcast after the game on inside the NBA, because again, like I think, you know, as much as it annoys people, like, it's clearly a talking point. And that's and that's where I feel like it's a no win situation to an extent, because yes, it did seem you know, it did seem forced. It felt kind of staged. It just was a little bit awkward, Like watching them after the game talk to Taylor looks like it felt awkward because they're still presenting this whole thing like, well, you know, it just worked out this way, man, Like they're not saying those exact words. But that's been the vibe of Braun and his son this whole time, is like, well, I mean, you know, I don't know, man, just I'm glad they drafted him because just so happens to be my son. He's a really good player. Like no, like, but but you know, let's live in the real world. Nobody's ever going to come out and say what it is eactly is because most people don't in situations like this. But yeah, wouldn't be shocked if he gets sent to the G League. That's what everybody keeps saying, and I'm by the way, I'm not saying that. I mean, I guess I wouldn't be shocked. But if in fact he sticks on this roster all throughout the year, keep in mind what we just discussed or what I just you know, rambled about. If it's to keep Lebron James engaged at thirty nine, a guy who, when he turns it on, is at any moment potentially the best player in the NBA, even at thirty nine years old, it's worth keeping that guy on the bench. I mean, I think it totally is. And they look really really good last night. So anyways, the NBA season has started, and who knows, we probably won't talk about the NBA for you know, a long long time now because we just don't do it all right. Some other things we'll get into today as we get closer to game day, and this is really just the routine each week for me. As we get closer, I get a little less sad. I try to distract myself from the frustration as far as how Louisville and the football season has gone thus far. And that's where I'm at now. We're just a couple of days away from getting the bad taste out of your mouth from the Miami loss. And again, it's not a game where you've got a whole lot to gain, but certainly I think you have a lot to lose, because a loss here would put you at four and four, and you'd have to look at every other game left on the schedule and ask yourself, Okay, if we can't beat Boston College, should we feel really good about beating anybody else? I mean, that may sound like a stretch, but go look at the rest of the acc Go look at the rest of the Louisville schedule. I mean, I guess maybe you could say Stanford would be a team that you know, you'd feel pretty good about, but you got to go to California. That's far from a normal road trip for a Louisville football program. So again, my excitement is more so just to hey, let's get this win and avoid a two game skid and avoid you know, a rough conversation. We haven't really had to have yet. Our conversations, at least within this show and the postgame show when it comes to louisvill football haven't been you know, totally positive. Let's be honest, They've been pretty disappointing because not many or any maybe expected Louisville to be here at four and three, seven games in. But again, I think it shifts to it and even you know, it gets a little darker, the noise gets a little louder as far as the frustrations and disappointment if you somehow can't get past Boston College on Friday night. And by the way, I you know, when Louisville loses games, I just find myself not completely checking out from the rest of the college football world. But I just now, earlier today started looking at at spreads for the upcoming weekend of college football, and I would not have guessed that Louisville would have been a seven point favorite. I would have guessed that they probably would have been favored by I don't know, like four and a half or something. I mean, I know that Boston College is coming off of two losses. One was a beat down to Virginia Tech, the other was a close loss to Virginia. But I guess that's a nice reminder that despite Louisville having three losses, you know, all of those losses are against ranked teams, and the computers still really like Louisville, because again, these formulas, man, rather it be the ESPN FPI or maybe it's the you know, the Ken Palm and basketball, a lot of these formulas that we reference from time to time. I just to me, there seems to be a clear issue that they don't factor in winning and losing enough because in the FPI, look, you know, if it makes you feel good about Louisville, that's fine. I can't claim that it's legit because I've made fun of it for years, meaning ESPN's Football Power Index. But Louisville's a four and three team and they're in the top seventeen in the FPI. Like again, I think that tells you because Louisville's numbers have been pretty good even in losses. They just have made big killer mistakes that have put them in positions where they they aren't able to win. But yeah, I think they're at number seventeen or maybe eighteen, which you know, unfortunately hate to say this, but if you wanted to maybe make that formula look bad, you could use Louisville maybe as an example, because it just doesn't make a lot of sense that you can have three losses and four wins and be viewed as a team. That's you know, top twenty in the country. I mean again, the formula is what it is. It's not an opinion, it's not somebody given some type of take. It's just you know, it's it's crunching the numbers, all right. Reminder, if you want to join us, you can. Phone lines are now open five oh two, five to seven one seventy nine hundred. You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Unions X line five h two six five three zero, seven ninety. But we'll get to your calls here on the other side, So stick with us again. Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's. Sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program at Thornton's. If you haven't yet, I mean you should have done it long ago. But check this out. If you are a member and you purchase three Pepsi items PEPSI qualifying Pepsi products, and you can use the app to see which products are are under the Pepsi umbrella. But when you purchase thirty of them, the next I'm sorry when you purchase three of them. You don't have to do it all in one purchase. But like, let's say, every day you stop in to get a mountain and do with Doctor Pepper a pepsi one of the Celsius Energy drinks. When you've purchased your third, and the next time you use your Refresher Awards membership to get gash, you get thirty cents off for gallons. So again one of the many reasons why you should have signed up long ago. But you can still do it now. Download the app on your Android or your iPhone. Just search for Thornton's or search for Refreshing War Refreshing Rewards, and you'll be happy that you did, all right. Five two six five three zero seven ninety is the number if you want a text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. This text says, Nick, you're proving my point about Lebron. What kind of teammate forces his son on his team? Ridiculous to needs your kid to play with you in order for you to be engaged, reasonable, reasonable opinion, a reasonable take. What I was trying to really emphasize is that, And again, if you if you if you feel the way you feel about Lebron, and this whole thing is just a circus, and you just think he's proven that he's you know, not a good guy or whatever. You know, like you just think he's he's you know, he's he's an unseerious guy at this point in his career. Who would do this? Like I get all that, But do we know that Lebron told them like force them. Hey, I'm gonna like, did he give them stipulations like, hey, I'll walk and just call it a career if you don't draft my son, To be honest with you, I doubt that he did that. But again, I don't know. Maybe he did. I mean, he's Lebron James. He can do things that a lot of NBA players would never be able to get away with. But maybe just look at it from the Lakers side, which is, hey, we know he'd like this. We know he would really really be rejuvenated and maybe, you know, be the best Lebron we've ever had since he's been a Laker. And again, maybe that's a little bit of a stretch because he's been there five years now and he's thirty nine years old. But he's not. I mean, he's not slowing down. I mean, and he has good players around him. Again, Anthony Davis, when healthy is an all NBA caliber player that's been proven. So like, if if the Lakers did all of this and it wasn't because of any real force from Lebron, I wouldn't be totally shocked because again it would it makes sense for them in that regard. If Lebron was starting to look washed up, be a totally different conversation. He's not. He's still playing the game at a really, really high level, and at any moment he looks like the best player in the NBA at thirty nine or forty three whatever. I don't think any of us can say that we were shocked until we do see a sign of him gradually, you know, declining, and he just hasn't done that, and there's a lot of you know, and I don't I know, trust me, I can read the room on how people feel about Lebron, especially like non NBA people like I totally get it, and I don't want to make it, you know, turn into this show is just the Lebron James show where we're talking about how great he is, because like I know nobody would want to hear that, and that wouldn't be entertaining at all. But one of the things, one of the many things that you will look back about look look back on about Lebron is how he was able to play this long at this at this level. Like he's old for an NBA player, like he means he's three four years older than me. I mean, it's beyond it's beyond unusual and not normal for a guy to be playing any professional sport at that age at this level. And it's not like he's Peyton Manning with the Broncos where he had a noodle for an arm and really just won a Super Bowl because Von Miller was Von Miller and they played Cam Newton and the Panthers. And I love Peyton Manning, my favorite player of all time. But like you could tell when he was out there, at any moment, the guy might might break his hip if he gets tackled, Like Lebron is still playing the same way for the most part that he has almost his whole career, all right. Five O two five seven seventy nine hundred is the number if you guys would like to h to jump in and give us a call. We had some callers on the line, but they dropped off whenever we went to break, So you know, I get it, you know, want to hold through a commercial break. He got things to do. But you know, bow lines are open if you want to call back, or if anybody else wants to call in questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you've got. You have the platform here to show those with us. All right, somebody on the text line reminded or I guess informed me. I did hear a little bit of this on KSR this morning. I didn't get a chance to hear much. But apparently it wasn't Mark Pope that ran out of gas yesterday. It was his wife. And he blamed his wife, surely in a joking way, Like I don't think that that that's you know, I don't think he was just you know, upset about it and wanted everybody to know, Hey, it's not your basketball coach that ran out of gas. It was his wife, who is irresponsible. Like it wasn't like he was doing it to like make her look bad or you know, lecture he or anything like that. But are you surprised that like he even acknowledged it Like, I think leading into stuff like that can be fun. It makes you seem relatable even if you're not. I think we live in a world now where if you're trying to really win over a fan base, win over a I don't know, let's say a party, rather it be the right or the left. Like, I just think the world now is is different than it once was to where being relatable maybe even a little bit of you know, self deprecation like that plays more than it ever has, if that makes sense, Like acting as if you're larger than life and you're just you know, like unrelatable and you're I just you know, if that's just who you are, that's who you are. But like, I'm not surprised that like he had fun with it, but almost I'm kind of surprised he actually like said, hey, it wasn't me, it was my wife. Like again, he's just being honest, and I'm sure it was you know nothing, But like, put it this way, I could see my wife being upset if I outed her for doing that instead of you know, falling on the sword myself. And everybody's you know, everybody's relationships marriages is different. But like I probably would have just been like, oh, yeah, you know, what are you gonna do? Or I would have said not me.
Speaker 3: Maybe Mark Pope talked with his wife saying, Hey, someone's gonna ask me about this today. Do you care ify mention what happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look it happens. And in fact, anything to make them look more relatable and more you know, down to earth I think is best for them as they're you know, they're the new I mean, it's the new first family of of you know, Kentucky baskets. And you're right, he probably you know, if he's smart, and I think he's a pretty smart guy, you at least let her know you're telling people, Hey, I'm gonna let people know as you did it. And I'm sure they had fun with it. But you know, again, I I think it's smart.
Speaker 3: Pope seems like he's a guy who you know, thrives off of being a transparent human being.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, doubt like. And that's why, I mean, I'm sure it will change eventually, just because it's how you know, it's just how it works. But I don't find him easy to dislike at all, because I happen to feel like he's very genuine and that's a big stretch, a big difference from what they had previously. But also towards the end found myself like genuinely being entertained by Cal and I know Kentucky fans had grown like when Kentucky fans had become so done with just the way Cal handled everything, you know, acting like I haven't seen him at acting like he didn't like he didn't know where his players were and why guy didn't dress out for a game, talking about how you know, hey, we're we we just gotta we gotta, we gotta practic, like just saying like Cal would say things that like nobody really would would bat an eye because it was Calby and Cal but like some of the things he would say, Rick too, I mean Ricky, they're kind of the same, which is probably why they despise each other. But like, you know, I found Cal at the end like he would make me laugh, like with how he would just you know, like he would show it to a press conference after a win and instead of like you know, talking about the game and you know, acting like you know his teams, he would he would he couldn't help himself. Where was it they'd went down to Auburn and beat Bruce Pearl's team pretty bad last year, I think in February January whenever it was, and it was a big win for them at the time they needed it. And like first thing he did when he walked into the press conference was just before even got to the microphone, started like talking to the media guys there that cover Kentucky. How you like that? Like, I mean, he was, and it was just like, it's not I mean, it's not what you typically see from coaches, but I found it, like when he kind of became unhinged there towards the end, I just found it to be hilarious, especially especially because they go after the players, go after me, and that's what people were doing. Yeah, when he would know that they are going after him right like and you know, he would want you to think that he doesn't have a clue as far as what the fan base is saying, but he quite literally knows what they're saying. He can check the pulse and he knows, and he's human. Some people can can get away with like I don't even know what's being said about me. Most people who say that are lying, especially if you're in the public eye. But like Kyle was clearly somebody who was well aware of what everybody was saying about him, which is why things kind of got sour. He couldn't believe that there was the criticism there for him when they went what eight and something? They won eight nine games whenever he during the twenty twenty one season, and like he became bitter and it was just an unhealthy relationship. But Pope's a lot different than that. And I mean, I'm sure again it doesn't matter if I find him, because it's good if you have a villain that is easy to dislike, and that was cal for the most part. But you know, I'm still going to root for them to lose every game, including tonight when they play Kentucky Wesleyan, And it won't really impact me as far as like the joy. I I mean, maybe it'll maybe it would be a little bit sweeter to take satisfaction and their losses if I like hated their coach. But you know, I like Tubby Smith a lot and I love watching him lose too, just because that's how it works when it comes to uh, when it comes to the rivalry, you know, I mean, they'll probably beat Wesley in the way that Louisville beat friend of Young Harris. I don't know why I keep wanting to say friends, but for some reason, I for for weeks, I think I was talking. When I would talk basketball to people about the exhibition, I think I would for some reason, I would call the opponent Friends of Life University and not Young Harris. There's no way that's a real school. That's like something I dreamed of, right.
Speaker 3: Friends of Life sounds like a you know, like a foundation of some sort. Yeah, like if it were anything.
Speaker 1: There's there's Life University. But like, I don't know why. For some reason, I thought, because it's not even close Young Hairs friends of Life, Like, there's no way there'd be a real school called Friends of Life. Then again, I'm sure people would say, there's no way there's really a college called Young Harris, but there is.
Speaker 3: Apparently that's a person's name to them is oh younger Young Harris was Young Harris, So shout out to Young Harris.
Speaker 1: Did he have a brother named old be very? Yeah? I mean like that was a terrible attempted humor by me. God, that was bad. That's like again, that was one of those like dad moments that like very poor dad humor that like I think John did get a genuine laugh out of, but because it was so corny. Yeah, you know, like when you get there at some point, John, whenever you and your wife end up having kids, you know, whenever that may be down the line. Yeah, well yeah, when you whenever you finally have sex and have a kid, it'll hit you at some point, maybe you're a dad of a three year old or a five year old, but you'll start to have those outbursts, not like you know where you're screaming, but like something will just come over you and out of nowhere you'll say one of the corniest dad jokes ever, and like it's just it happens. I don't think you could fight it if you tried. I Mean, the one that really stood out to me that I think I'll always remember is because like as soon as I said it, I thought to myself, why would I say that? That's I mean, like that's terrible. Is whenever I was at a Mexican restaurant and there was a guy coming from the kitchen. He was wheeling a keg to replace one of the kegs up there by the bar, and without even thinking all of a sudden, I just blurted out, hey is that for me? And like that again, that's that's like I mean that is that not like the ultimate example of a corny dad joke that like everybody probably snickered because they're like, wow, that was lame. This guy's really corny.
Speaker 3: It is, and it's it's like off brand for you, but it's not the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it's it's really not not only is it not my brand, Like it's not something that I would even think is remotely funny. Therefore, why would I say it to try to make a joke. But hey, the dad instincts, it just it it takes over. They kick in sometimes and you just can't. You can't, you can't deny it. All right, Coming up here at four h five, we'll talk to the one and only Zach Barnetta FootballScoop dot Com get his thoughts on the college football season as of now. And I didn't realize it, but because again I kind of it's not like I check out, but I'm not just I'm not consuming the college football content as much whenever my team is underwhelming, and that's what Louisville's doing. But I didn't realize we've got ourselves a hell of a slate this weekend. I mean some matchups that you know, a few weeks ago you probably wouldn't have said her that intriguing. But a bunch of ranked teams play in each other LSU and A and M that's eight verse fourteen. I mean Vandy and Texas. Who would have ever thought that that'd be a ranked matchup? Alabama, Missouri, Oregon, Illinois, Navy, Notre Dame. I mean those are all ranked matchups. So exciting stuff, no doubt. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Wrap up at three o'clock hour. Right here on Sports Talk seven ninety so, we talked about this. I think it might have been last week. The change is coming to Twitter as far as the block feature, and by the way, real quick, I'm proud of us. We never call it x no, and I still feel like most people don't. But then again, I'm not sure, Like anytime I read a story about the platform, they do call it x which I guess that there's nothing wrong with that, But I think when you're discus seeing it among people who've been using it for a while, you're still going to see them, you know, refer to it as as Twitter. But they announced that they are going to make some changes to the block feature, so once active, blocked users won't be able to interact with a user and their post, but they'll still be able to see them. And apparently that that that has led to, you know, some real movement as far as people, I guess getting off of the platform. And how would they know that? By the way, like because because what I'm referencing an article from Mashable and it highlights that the block I mean, really the point of the article is to say that the block feature is going to potentially be a real issue for for Twitter and x users. Uh, and it could be a real issue for the future of the platform. But but my whole thing was that, like that there's as much as people make fun of Elon Musk and Twitter and how it's not what it once was, and it's really I mean, it's basically become a toxic wasteland where a lot of fake information fools a lot of people and reminds us how dumb society is to believe anything that they read on the internet. I mean, I think that's the best way to describe Twitter as of October of twenty twenty four, especially when we got an election coming up. So again, it wouldn't totally shock me if people who are making the decisions for the platform don't realize that, like the Apple App Store and the Google play Store, they've got some specific rules as far as what you can and can't allow on your social media platform meeting at some point. I mean, I've read this last week that both of those app stores Android and iPhone, Google and Apple, they don't allow you to have an app that social media that does not allow you to block people that you don't want to see and interact with. So maybe they found a way around that. I'm not sure. Hard to imagine such a huge company would would make this change without realizing, oh yeah, this could make it to where people can even use their phone and use the app because you violated the terms of having an app in the app store. But what they're citing here is that And if you ever heard of blue Ski, John, I've seen it. That's kind of I don't know exactly what it is.
Speaker 3: I've seen people put their their information on Twitter to get to their Blue Skoks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I just I just opened up Blue Ski on Chrome browser and the the interface looks better than it did the last time around. Because this has always been viewed as the legitimate potential if there ever is one to replace Twitter and become the new you know, to become the you know, to take over that kind of an app that has you know, that kind of content. But it's always just looked janky to me, And I don't think you'll, like, even if Twitter shut down today and Blueski became the replacement, it wouldn't be nowhere near what Twitter is. I just I think if it ever dies, it'll die, and there'll be some others that try to like replicate what it was. But you know, I just I think, yeah, but that I mean that that that just seemed I mean, I mean I've not heard anybody mention that at all. I mean, it was like a weak thing, a week long thing, and I've not seen or heard anybody like, hey, follow me on threads or check out my content.
Speaker 3: With see whenever I'm on Instagram, there's gowo like little promotional I guess posts if you will, from Threads, and they they kind of hook me in sometimes, but I don't have the actual Threads app downloaded to me it would actually get on there. So maybe that's be the case if they end up having to be and.
Speaker 1: It's Instagram and Facebook's version of what Twitter. H Yeah, I mean, look, maybe that would be the best bet, just because there's already so many people on those platforms. But I think if Twitter ever just died, people would just move on and not even try to find the next app that would be similar to what it is. But real quick, I know, we got to get to a break in just a moment here, But Blueski has reported that just one day after that announcement from x Twitter that they're going to make some changes to the block feature, that the you know, blu Ski's base has increased by more than half a million people and they're now boasting a user base of over twelve million. So you know, that sounds like a lot, and it is for you know, that amount of time, But I mean still, that's that's a drop in the bucket compared to the six hundred and eleven million active users on the Twitter platform. All right, let's talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital, shall we? Yes, we shall. I asked you a question, but I already knew the answer. We will talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital because that's how special they are. They've been in business since nineteen eighty if you can count, that's forty four years taking care of your pets, Your pets, their family, their loved ones. You want to make sure that they're You know that they're taken care of and they're healthy. And you may not know you nowhere to turn when it comes to those kind of things, But I'm here to tell you need to turn to my friends at Jefferson Animal Hospital. You can check them out at Jefferson Vets dot com. That's the website you'll get all the information that you need. Or you can just stop in. They're right there on outer Loop and they'd be happy to see you and hear about your pet and how you want to make an appointment to get him checked out. Maybe you want to learn more about how your pets can donate blood, So stop in and see them, or again, you can go to Jefferson Vets dot com or just give them a call FABO two nine hundred pets again, it is Jefferson Animal Hospital. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Two more hours left here on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon, and we'll talk some college football with Zach Barnetta Football Scooped Commy joins us next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety