Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to the host of home on CAFI. It's our house, whisper Dean Sharp. Good morning, Dean, Good morning Amy. Okay, so let's talk about space. Everybody wants space. And I'm not only talking personal space. I'm talking about space in your house. Yes, all right, So you're talking about you know, revamping your space can cost a lot of money, but there are spaces where you can you know, get yourself a good little deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, we're going to get a little unorthodox this weekend because you know, inflation has not left. Funds are tight for people. It's remodeling season. Some people are thinking, ugh, ugh, we need more space to live in this house. But I don't have a full on budget to just you know, add on or whatever. And so I get this question a lot. And so we're going to talk about two particular spaces this weekend that actually are sitting there waiting for that are the least expensive places to look in order to get more living space at your house. One is the garage and the other is going outside and getting taking as much outdoor space as possible. Now, by going outside, I don't mean doing a room edition, I mean living more outside and as a result not having to spend all of the money that we would spend on walls and floors and that kind of stuff in order to create more space for us to just, uh, you know, get by. But the garage to start is what we call a potential flex space, meaning that we don't have to abandon it as a garage in order for it to be other things at the same time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yourself, okay, well, I mean if you have you know, here's the thing with the garage. Let's talk about the lead developed garages out there. The least developed garages out there have a concrete floor, older homes that have studs, you know, I mean, it's a garage, it's a room, but there's no drywall on the walls. The studs are all open exposed studs. The ceiling is open and exposed, but there is a floor, there are walls, there is a ceiling in there. So really we're just a few steps away. We're a little bit of insulation, maybe a little electrical work, and some dry wall away from creating a full fledged room out there. And those things up in the big scheme of thing are not all of that expensive. If we organize the garage. If we get our clutter under control, if we put laid down maybe a nicey POxy or a stained finished floor, and we get a little heat or cooling in that garage, then all of a sudden, we've got another four hundred or so square feet that can be used for things other than just parking the cars. And when we say flex space, I mean this room is ready to be used as soon as we pull the cars out for extra space. So let's say it's the weekend and it's time to entertain and there needs to be a place to watch the big game, or all of the kids need to hang out somewhere not in the house with the adults, just to give everybody some more elbow room. Well, it doesn't mean that the garage can't be in the normal place where you park the cars. But if we pull the cars out, suddenly we've got all of that space. It's clean, it's neat, and it's ready to go. That's what we mean flex space. So I'm not talking about well, fine, I'm not gonna park my cars outside for the rest of my life. No, you park the cars in the garage, but as soon as you pull them out for this special event, or to do crafting, or to because you need gym time. That's when the garage becomes a flex space.
Speaker 1: Okay, kind of like that I did, because spruce it up a little bit. And then it's also not it's a flex space, but it's also a versatile space because you can use it for different things. It doesn't it's not predefined exactly.
Speaker 2: Why not allow the garage to be that game room, the media room, a craft room, a gym, you know, all of these kinds of things, and also house the cars when it's time to park the cars at the same time.
Speaker 1: I love that. And then very quickly outdoors, you're saying, don't you're not putting a building out there, You're just putting making a living space out there. So are you talking about like couches and TVs and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking about comfortable places for people to exist, for people to converse. If we put a little warmth out there, maybe it's a fire pit or something like that. If we've got comfortable furniture out there, a little bit of shade. A shade doesn't have to be a patio cover that costs thirty thousand dollars. It can be a twelve hundred dollars, really really nice, you know, umbrella, a little shade, a little cooling, a little warmth in the evening, some comfortable furniture. The floor can be something as simple as pea gravel raked across and nicely shaped. The point is outdoors is a place where you can get a lot of space. You can annex a lot of living space for your house without having to spend the kind of money that you would spend on a room edih.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Dean's going to have so many more tips and tricks than ideas for you this weekend. Where to get the most space for the least money. I love this topic six to eight am tomorrow and then nine to noon on Sunday right here on KFI. You can also follow Dean at home with Dean. Thank you, Dean, thank you.
Speaker 2: Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk to you soon.