Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: AM six forty. It's Later with mo Kelly. We are Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. The hit series on Patrol Live follows law enforcement departments around the country as officers patrol their communities with more than fifty cameras, documenting their work live and in real time every Friday and Saturday night on the channel Reels on Patrol Live is now in its fourth season and as hosted by Dan Abrams. Is my pleasure to welcome Dan back on the show. Dan Abrams, how you doing this evening?
Speaker 3: Hello, Good to be back with you.
Speaker 2: How would you say a philosophical question, how would you say law enforcement has changed with the proliferation of cameras all over the place.
Speaker 4: I don't know that law enforcement has changed as much as you know.
Speaker 3: Accountability has changed.
Speaker 4: And when I say accountability, I don't just mean police officers.
Speaker 3: I also mean the citizens too, because people forget that. You know.
Speaker 4: The good thing about the camera is when someone claims, oh, the officer did this to me or did that to me, the officer can say, oh, really, all right, well let's look at the bodycam footage of what we had, so I think that can be very valuable in terms of law enforced. I think that's the biggest change that we've seen is the explosion of body cams, which I think you know, initially there were some police departments that were reluctant. I think these days everyone's kind of accepting of it. People just accept that it's a regular part of doing police work and that it can actually help the cops as well.
Speaker 2: What about this larger issue of supposed privacy and I mentioned that against the backdrop of you being an attorney, would you say the law, the Fourth Amendment, privacy laws in general have been able to keep up with this idea of cameras everywhere. I know we don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy, but still there's a question this there.
Speaker 4: Not Well, yeah, and you raise a really good point, and I think you phrased it well, which is about the reasonable expect in privacy. We're shooting on public streets, right, I mean, that's where our cameras are. These are public streets, and as a result, there is no quote unquote expectation of privacy on a public street. Now, if we're going into a home, we have to ask permission. Even if the cops are going into the home, we can't follow them in unless we get permission from the homeowner. So that's where the line is drawn from a legal perspective with regard to what we can shoot and how we can shoot it.
Speaker 2: I know tonight we'll be in Arkansas, or the show will be in Arkansas at nine PM, but what else should we expect for season four? More broadly on on Patrol Live.
Speaker 4: So one of the biggest changes for the show is that we just are joining the Las Vegas Police Department, and it's one of the biggest police departments in the country, and we think that that's a really valuable thing in terms of adding diversity and the types of departments. We we're in sheriff's departments, we're in small departments like in Arkansas. We're in Hayes in Arkansas, a tiny little department. But we want to be in small and big. We want to be in local police and sheriff's departments. We want to be able to show people different kinds of police work, and so being in Vegas we think is very valuable with regard to that. And Season four is the first time that we had been in a department as big as Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: What are some of the inherent difficulties or problems or obstacles for any live TV show, never mind a law enforcement focused TV show, coordinating live media around the country simultaneously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's a complicated operation that we're running. Right when you think about the fact there're in eight or nine live departments at once, we're following usually two officers per department. We've got multiple cameras per officer. Right right there, you've got a massive production operation.
Speaker 3: But as you point.
Speaker 4: Out, when you're dealing with law enforcement, there's going to be some sensitivities as well. I mean there's going to be anything from a child to an undercover cop, to personal information that's revealed, etc. So we don't show that stuff. And the reason that's the reason we have a small delay.
Speaker 3: In the show.
Speaker 4: We can't do true live because you know, someone pulls someone over and they say, you know, who are you, what's your name, what's your address, and they're.
Speaker 3: Trying to link it up.
Speaker 4: You know, we're not going to show that when the person starts citing their social Security number.
Speaker 3: Right, We're also not going to show.
Speaker 4: If there's a child in a shot, we're not going to show that. If there's an undercover cop, we're not going to show that. So the delay allows us to take a minute to just ensure that what we're showing is going to be acceptable. We have a lawyer who is in the studio for every oh to help us make those determinations.
Speaker 2: I wonder, actually I don't wonder. We all know how dangerous law enforcement is. We all know how unpredictable it can be. Oftentimes you may be our law enforcement may be engaging someone on their worst day and worse circumstances. Are you ever concerned about the truly unforeseen, the unpredictable, possibly dangerous scenarios for not only law enforcement, but for the camera team.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and two answers to that question. There are protocols in place with regard to our camera crews, who do an amazing job. This is not an easy gig for those camera crews, and you know we have protocols that are taken very seriously.
Speaker 3: But again, there's a.
Speaker 4: Reason we have a delay, right, And so I mean, I'll give you another example where let's say someone's shot and killed, right, and police officers are arriving at a scene and the family may not know that that person is dead. We don't want to be the first ones to inform that family that someone's.
Speaker 3: Been shot and killed.
Speaker 4: So as a result, we may pull our cameras back so you can't identify what the home is. We may see the officer go into the scene, and then we may make a decision that all right, let's get an update from the officer off the scene, because you know, this is a particularly sensitive situation where someone was just shot and killed and we don't know who knows or doesn't know, and so, you know, constantly there are those issues that we take incredibly seriously for every single show.
Speaker 2: My time is growing short with you, Dan Abrams. But I wonder, is there a singular instance where you think of Well, in all my years of doing this show or being in media, I've never seen something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean there have been instances where there have been you know, pursuits followed by a car you know, rolling over, followed by a suspect takeing out as two year old and using it as a shield to try to prevent the officer from taking him into custody.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe it. So you know, there's been a.
Speaker 4: Number of incidents like that where I've said, I can't believe this is actually happening, but you know it did. And that is what police officers see. And I'm not going to say see every day, right, because every day stuff is what we show in a regular bait the traffic stops that it's rare to see something like that, or like a guy who's fighting with a police officer trying to get his gun. It's scary as it's scary as all heck. And so we've seen a number of those incidents throughout the years.
Speaker 2: Are you more encouraged or discouraged with the totality of what you see regarding law enforcement and also crime in America?
Speaker 3: Before I let you go, I'm.
Speaker 4: Definitely more encouraged with regard to law enforcement. I think that when you see what law enforcement does on a daily basis, it provides context that is critical with regarding crime in this country. It's a little hard to say from the show itself, right, I'd have to step out and become legal analysts and start talking about, you know, national figures in city by city, et cetera. Just from the show's perspective. You know, we are following police departments who are responding to crimes, right, so you know, it's not always ends up being a crime, right. You know, last weekend we had an enormous fight between two brothers where the one guy came out totally bloodied.
Speaker 3: Right. We weren't sure are they going to charge him? Neither of the brothers wanted to pursue.
Speaker 4: Charges, but in the end there was an eyewitness who saw it across the street and said, oh, you know, here's what happened, So they did file charges. My point being that some of the time they get a call doesn't necessarily become a crime, but it's a little hard to extrapolate from that sort of crime. In America, I can tell you I'm shocked how many people drive without a license. I didn't realize how many people are out there on the road without a valid license.
Speaker 2: On Patrol Live is now in its fourth season and is hosted by Dan Abrams. Dan, it's always good to talk to you. Thank you for coming back on the show tonight and congratulations on a new season.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I always appreciate coming on.
Speaker 2: It's Late with mo Kelly kfi AM six forty Live Everywhere the iHeartRadio app
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty