Speaker 1: Disclaimer.
Speaker 2: We'd like to know before the start of this interview that the opinions about to be expressed by the guest of tonight's Getting Salty Experience Podcast are that of the guest and do not directly or necessarily reflect the views of the host of the Getting Salty Experience Podcast.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Getting Salty Experience Podcast.
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello Hoose, Martiners and Paula slash Agnes and a way. We got held that woman for a couple of weeks, ruffy, you know what I mean. We have a couple of a couple.
Speaker 5: Clear out the lungs.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Getting Salties in this podcast, it's the only one that brings to you know what you know where right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: If I ship to you, stand by stand by.
Speaker 1: That guy had to typing era.
Speaker 7: Yes, I love unt fingers.
Speaker 4: That guyun had that work.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, I could. I could figure something out.
Speaker 4: Figure out. Welcome back. Anyway, we missed you guys. A whole lot of stuff went on we had we had down in the Jersey. Sure, I met a lot of guys down there, had a great time, a lot of pictures, had a lot of food, drink a lot of Martini's, I mean stuff like that. How about you kill anything?
Speaker 8: I was at the Where was that, guys? I was at the Freak. Where was I? I was at the Freak. We were hanging out the spoiled.
Speaker 4: I was gonna tell you, guys, we're having to get in salty freak off if you wanna.
Speaker 5: After your baby oil and uh lotion swinging a.
Speaker 1: Miss he struck him out, the old freak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll leave it at that.
Speaker 1: A lot of stuff going on. The Jets win tonight.
Speaker 4: I was gonna wear my Aaron Rodgers Jersey tonight.
Speaker 1: But are they playing tonight? Who they playing?
Speaker 4: Right now? She's playing New England Patriots? This right? And you know it started soon? You know it starts soon, right mind? You once you want want that button?
Speaker 1: Guns?
Speaker 4: Nextpos it starts.
Speaker 5: What is that? Which button do you want?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 9: And nobody nobody, no, you go no, next month it starts.
Speaker 4: It's a different sport that nobody really cares about.
Speaker 5: How damn I totally forgot about it because nobody cares about I wasn't on my radar.
Speaker 10: I'm sorry, it was just it was one of those today, the tied I told you, I took him a long time to do.
Speaker 5: Nobody cares about.
Speaker 4: Sorry, sorry, I was thinking next month. Right, So anyway, we have an educacational show on tonight. Bro, listen to these two men, because the facts and the education is just dripping out of them. That's how we got so smart, Captain.
Speaker 1: Murphy, I'm smart, Miking.
Speaker 4: We were like sponges. They would just throw the ship down. Suck it up, bro, that's what happened.
Speaker 1: Paul My and Berg.
Speaker 8: Send me an email to sales are getting Salty apparel dot.
Speaker 10: Com and we'll let's put it taken a back seat there, Bro, knock him out.
Speaker 5: Wow, take a back seat, Take it easy, take it easy.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: Let's uh, let's couple of commercials quick, give you all y.
Speaker 10: We listen to the new one. They don't have any words, but check it out. It's the drone, the photo type.
Speaker 4: Fun guy, I got the s two old school guys like Captain Hank. What do they think about this new technology when they bring.
Speaker 1: Him in here?
Speaker 5: Yeah we will.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 5: Actually they're helpful drugs. Yeah yeah, all right, true dad. All right, let's listen to New Jersey Fire.
Speaker 4: All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Established in nineteen thirty and under the current ownership since nineteen eighty seven. The New Jersey Fire Equipment Company handles a complete line of fire department equipment and supplies. Headquartered in green Brook, the company operates full three M Scott service facilities in Ridgefield Park and Toms River staff by ten fully authorized Scott's certified technicians with a fleet of six fully equipped service fans. All New Jersey Fire technicians and sales representatives are active or retired firefighters, officers or chief officers, career and volunteer. They understand the business and the.
Speaker 11: Importance of their work.
Speaker 3: New Jersey Fire has represented Scott since Earl Scott entered the SCBA business at the end.
Speaker 5: Of World War II.
Speaker 3: Among other leading manufacturers represented by New Jersey Fire are Globe and Fireedex turnout gear, Mercedes Hose, task Force, Tips and Akron Brass, Higenol, fire Hooks, Arctic Impressor, m s A, Carns, Helmets, Keemguard, Phone, Alcoholite and Duo safety ladders, BA Facield Protectors, Truckman's Choice saws, Groves, gear racks and washer driders, Supervac Fans, r p I, Streamlight, and many others. A New Jersey incorporated and based company. Sales and service are limited to the state of New Jersey. Find us now at www dot nj f E dot com. That's www dot nj f E dot com.
Speaker 4: Wonderful. We'll play the other one in the middle and the other one at the end.
Speaker 5: That's okay.
Speaker 4: We know we need to take a pe break, you know what I mean. We got the old lattice here. We gotta take a pep breaking. Let's let's bring him in here. But captain, my captain, and my senior dude, Roof do it.
Speaker 8: You're already guns, yes, So let's go really coming to the stage, Captain Dennis Murphy.
Speaker 1: Oh, you.
Speaker 4: Play something now, Hank before you your then it goes out.
Speaker 6: Happy to be here, and helloa to all my friends out there and leave ahead nation.
Speaker 4: Captain, Captain, my captain, thank you for coming on again and sharing all this knowledge that like you did with us back in the day. We me and Louis were just young pups, right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well it's you know they taught me. I I just passed it on to you. That's all.
Speaker 11: That's all it is.
Speaker 5: That's what we're supposed to do.
Speaker 11: And that's what you guys did too, So that's the way it goes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, so let's dive right in tonight. We're going to talk about but oh, we gotta get the patriotic my bed, not of the groove.
Speaker 5: Your bust of my bulls. Get that button ready? All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: I pleasure allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic, for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice.
Speaker 12: For all.
Speaker 4: Wonderflock. So now we're going to talk about god, apartments, townhouses, what else that, Yeah, and.
Speaker 12: All of those that we're gonna lump everything into one. I mean, they are different, slightly different, but most of the fire fighting problems are the same. So you know, we'll just get into it. And uh and like I said, everybody chip in. You know, as far as h if you had a job here, you had a job there. It's supposed to be a kitchen drill. So that's what we should be doing. I had this happen, I had that happen. And we'll kind of let those experiences, you know, feed off each other and as.
Speaker 5: We go, all right, well, we'll bring this up here. So we can next airbrushing.
Speaker 12: Okay, so we were we had originally we're gonna do a random thoughts, which this kind of led led to. But this turned up being it was such a big topic that we just we're gonna stay just on pretty much guarding upon its because when I started to look at what I had and at different places, I had a lot of materials, so it's just in there, and there was a lot of photographs that I had accumulated on this with the intention of putting into other programs. But again, like I said, the last time, you know, we talked about you guys and passing it on and you passing it on to the guys and the companies that you worked into eighty eight especially, I passed it on to you. Hank passed it on to you. But these are some of the These are some of the guys that we learned from. And Tom Brennan was one of my mentors. And that's why we call this random What's because I always loved what he did in the back of the magazine. You know, a lot of people read that magazine back to front because they went to see what he had to say. I have his book here and it's all different topics and most of those, uh, those observations and tips that he passed along are still still applicable today. You know, you think about a lot of stuff changes, but a lot of stuff doesn't.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 11: We still got to go in and put it out.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: That's me all the way on the left, Yeah, Joe McDermott, Willie Green, and that's Captain Brennan. Willie's kind of obstructed by Captain Brennan. But that's what he used to do. After every fire. He would line us up like that informally and just ask us, where'd you go, what did you how'd you get there?
Speaker 11: What did you do when you got there? So I, like I.
Speaker 12: Said, you were under you were under a little bit of pressure to perform, you know, like he wanted to know how his company performed at a fire. You don't see that too much anymore.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 12: You just you know, you go, everybody comes out now, they take a picture. You know, it's like, yeah, we did a great job. You know, it's like all right, well where did you go and what did you do? You know, and how'd you get there? You know, and it was all it was all, you know, a lot of hard charging young guys that just that wanted to learn their trade.
Speaker 11: You know, I think Eddie Kilduff meted it on your show. You know it was it was.
Speaker 12: It was a real good place and a real good incubator of good firefighters.
Speaker 11: Every company in that area was like that. It was really good.
Speaker 4: Is he still around? Uh?
Speaker 5: EDT.
Speaker 12: Brennan, Captain Brennan passed away about ten to fifteen years ago.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 12: The last time I saw him was at FDIC and then he lived in Florida.
Speaker 5: He used to go.
Speaker 12: He used to be like the one of the keynotes in fdi C. Just about every year. He did a whole thing with the Chief Brunussini from Phoenix that was very well received all time. But he was a lifelong instructor and uh and he was just a great uh, a great teacher of young fine you know. So that that was one of my influences. And the next slide you'll see is one of the other ones that I just wanted to add here, which is John Vigiana, who we've talked about many times on here. But he was another guy. He was a great mentor for young firefighters. You know, he was a guy who's from one thirty two where Hank Hank started. Uh, he was a longtime officer, a lieutenant and Rescue two and then he was the captain of Won seventy six, in which I worked in both of those companies, in one seventy six and Rescue too. So he made a big, big impression on me.
Speaker 5: Also, you know, did he walk side of do you guys remember, Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Just looking at he's got four as two bees.
Speaker 12: Think about it, like you look at so many guys from that era, guys like and you're not all older guys, like guys like Paddy Brown, you know, it's just Jack Pritchett, you know. They these guys just saw such a tremendous amount of fire duty. It was they they were exposed to it, you know, and they uh and they were very good at what they did. And that was the thing with vis you know, you look, you look at him, and you go in a job full of high quality fire offices, he stood out just that fact alone, and in a job full of high quality people, he was exceptional.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: So I don't want to stay on there. I just wanted to mention them and move on. But great teacher of firefighters, go.
Speaker 6: Ahead, and I mentioned since it's still not you know, nine to eleven week. Unfortunately, he lost both his sons on nine to eleven U the one that was in one thirty two and the other was the emergency services.
Speaker 11: Yeah, John and Joe.
Speaker 12: Okay, So getting getting into what we're going to talk about tonight, We're gonna talk about garden apartments, townhouses, some other buildings that are similar. We're gonna throw them all in one basket and just go through the problems that that they that they.
Speaker 11: Present for us. But again, buildings like that are nothing new.
Speaker 12: Urban departments are for row frame fires for I don't know, one hundred and fifty years now. Uh, but these are the modern equivalent of row frames, and and they're nothing new. They go back to the fifties, you know, the these modern type, but a lot of things have changed. They got a lot of similarities, but there's a lot of differences too, and there's a lot of differences in in the uh, the construction of these buildings over time. You know, lightweight construction is one of them. A lot of voids, some of the voids similar to the row frames, and uh, you know, the construction end of it, not only how it's built and how it's designed, but how it's installed and the workmanship. You know, Uh, they modern buildings do not have common cocklofts.
Speaker 8: I was just gonna say that they had to have changed that at least forgot right right.
Speaker 11: But the thing is how well are how well is the fire protection in the current cocklofts, and it varies widely.
Speaker 12: I'll show you. I've got a slide that I saw personally of a building. It's never had a fire in it, but but it's going to be like a fifth a law. You know, it's in two eighty eight areas.
Speaker 4: You can do it as shody shoddy workmanship.
Speaker 11: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: We were pretty lucky they have There are a lot of buildings going up. When we got this, we're able to go in as they were putting them up and see what kind of construction they were.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean they still are. You could consider them common cock lofts because they may not run a whole block, but they're definitely not separated into single you know, into single units. Oh, you might have three or four units that are incorporated in whatever the square footage of that you know, that county therein I think like NASA I think is seventy five hundred square feet and that has to be fire stops, so that that could include you know, three separate townhouses.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that and that varies. You know, that's a that's a big thing that varies areas in the country.
Speaker 6: Say that again.
Speaker 5: In other words, that numb.
Speaker 11: But you know that can vary from me in different areas.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying is that we had you know, you do have the common You still have the common cockla you know. That's knowing your area, knowing what your building codes are. And uh, okay, well we got fire in this cock clatter. The attic of this one, you know, is is the firewall right at the exposure four side, two side or is this the middle buildings? So those are all things you have to think about. Yeah, with the fire spread.
Speaker 12: Yep, and how how well it's installed, I mean, and look at you know, you go back to the buildings. One of the first jobs I had in to eighty eight was way out east and it was in a row of garden apartments. But they were all masonary, so they didn't go anywhere. It basically stayed within the Yeah, it went nowhere except for the original fire building.
Speaker 11: But you look at it now and you look like even like with performance based codes. You know, the the cinder block firewall which we used to have for decades, right, that's been replaced by gypsum board. And you know, how how well installed is it?
Speaker 12: The guy that comes in, you know, it wasn't that easy to get through a cinder block wall, like to run a cable line or something. I mean, it got done, but but it wasn't. It was harder to compromise it. You you see this, you know, doubled one inch gypsum board and you see that and everything from high.
Speaker 1: Rises for a while like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, exactly mine something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 11: So go to the next light.
Speaker 6: Gunson.
Speaker 12: Okay, So this is this is a good example of a modern a miner set of townhouses. You know, it's it's it's a lot of uh, it's a lot to ask from, especially for mid sized suburban fire departments. This is another. Like a commercial building, this is another. This is not a private dwelling, you know, this is uh, this is gonna be a fire like this is gonna be a minimum of four hand lines, and especially this fire on the lower floors as well, because it's in the original unit. It's probably spread and I'm assuming it spreads on either side. So you have to have at least two hand lines in the original unit, and then you're gonna have to have one hand line minimum in each exposure. So right there, that's four engine companies, you know, at least four engine companies.
Speaker 11: So that's a full first alarm.
Speaker 12: Assignment, and you know, with relief and additional lines.
Speaker 4: And the you know, more than in rural areas. Yeah, yeah, maybe two guys on a rate. And where's the other one coming from? So these guys got their handsful.
Speaker 10: Of down here in South Florida. You know, three guys to an engine company, right.
Speaker 12: Right, come, let me ask you something. Uh, three guys to an engine pull up? Do you is it common practice in your area to team up engines or does each engine the two guys other than the pump operator stretch the first line, let's say an engine three quarter line into.
Speaker 10: This depends on response time, but for the most part, we team up with our rescue, which is the ambulance down here. So we have to end up with a five person crew that can pair up and then they can do a stretch, you know, second engine company, if your water source, and you know, the checkbox of things that need to be in place. But for the most part, they'll pair up initially a rescue with them.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's what they do on Long Island.
Speaker 12: They'll they'll pair up companies because a lot of a lot of companies are coming in on the staff, especially during the day.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, sorry, So I was just saying this picture here, looking at this, like I remember when they were building a lot of the newer three family houses kind of similar to these townhouse types like you're talking about. You would see that the the dividing wall come through the roof, right. A lot of times you would see if there was peaked or if it was like this this like uh, you know, just a slanted roof here, like you would see it come through. So just looking at this like, that's got to be a common cock loft here, right, I mean, this would have to do not necessarily.
Speaker 12: It could be, but not necessarily. A lot of for a while, there are a lot of like in my town, I can tell you we have we have these buildings that just like he described, it comes through the roof.
Speaker 11: It's visible from the outside.
Speaker 12: The chief has doesn't have to guess about the boundaries of the fire, you know, or the fire containment as long as it's intact, and that's a big if. But then also we have ones that come right up to the underside, and we have some pictures of those later, and they don't penetrate the roof, so it's there, but it's not that easy to see.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 12: And then you have buildings that have different levels and that acts as like the firewall in other words.
Speaker 4: Looks like multiple apartments here.
Speaker 12: So I'm gonna say, actually, yeah, yeah, it could be, it might not be, you know what you can. I'm always a little hesitant to read too much into any one picture, because you know, you you're just getting on a snapshot. And but as we go along, we'll see better, better images that that describe what we're talking about.
Speaker 6: One of the things on this particular building that I see, and I'm not I'm not familiar with it, is it almost it's two story, like you would consider a garden apartment, but there is no separate outside doors. This has an interior interior hallway and obviously an interior stairway, so it's almost I would treat it like a two story apartment.
Speaker 1: Building.
Speaker 12: It's actually it's it looks like if you look closely at the picture, it looks like it's a three story because it's probably down a couple of steps and.
Speaker 11: Document, you know.
Speaker 12: But anyway, but let's let's move to the next line.
Speaker 11: We'll see. All right, this is a fire we had in my town. Actually these are two and this building on the left is uh.
Speaker 12: I want anybody want to take a guess as to what this is a repurposed building? Anybody guess as to what the original occupancy school school?
Speaker 11: Right, it was a school and it is an apartment.
Speaker 12: But you go in, you go in a center hallway and then all the apartments are off as another entrance further down with the same kind of arrangement. Tremendous voids in something like this. In other words, this was all boxed out. Let's say, in the original classroom had a ten foot ceiling. These ceilings are eight feet you know, over everyone, it's all boxed out. Big fire log. The original school had a big fire log. The cock loft in this thing is like six feet tall or wood and open from right to left. Yeah, yeah, and you know what I say that off to the races, you know, you could have a full first alarm assignment sitting across the street. And if the fire gets into that cock loft and gets possession of that, you're not going to be able to to get ahead of that.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be very difficult, I think, man hard on that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's a phony man sid right. The front of the building is vertical. The brick veneer I believe is also too from when it was converted. But uh, a friend of mine was the go ahead.
Speaker 6: So you have two issues there. If it gets in the cock loft, that could be running or if it auto exposes into the mansarde it could just be running around the mansard from left to right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and that and that. That's exactly what happened here.
Speaker 12: It got in there, but they knocked it down from the outside pretty quickly, you know, before it took off. But the masonry wall, that masonry wall that the ladder is up against, uh, that goes vertically all the way up and there's a there's a cornice up there. But again you know it's it's a converted building, uh into apartments that it wasn't its original function. Creates unique problems. And then the other the other building is a set of classic peak roof you know townhouses. You know one unit two stories uh that that they had a job in, uh about five or.
Speaker 11: Six years ago.
Speaker 12: But again this is at night, so I just I'm gonna point this out later. But look at the parking situation. Very tight for the first three units here, you know, so getting in and out, that's one of the big big considerations is you're only going to be able to get so much apparatus near the fire building.
Speaker 11: You really have to be thinking about pre planning that ahead of time.
Speaker 4: I don't gonna have courtyards where the dead ended, so.
Speaker 8: That I remember three h six had a bunch of those. Three h five had a bunch of those. I think three fifteen had a bunch of those.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the courtyard stretches.
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, next light. All right, this is one that you know.
Speaker 12: Again it's not a classic two or three story gone but the fire problem is exactly the same. This fire was in Edgewater, New Jersey. There's an apartment complex, all lightweight construction. Over five hundred people made homes on a on a January night, I remember a bitter cold out. This place is right off the HUDs And River and it's just it's.
Speaker 6: Right across from like the upper west side.
Speaker 12: Yeah, exactly, yeah, and so a luxury a luxury apartment building. Uh, but the construction features are the exact same construction features that we're going to be talking about tonight. So the story is the bitter cold night, wind driven, you know, very windy, which makes it worse. Somebody has a frozen pipe in their in their apartment, all right, yeah, and.
Speaker 5: What do they do?
Speaker 12: They call the plumber, Right, the plumber comes. Where's the frozen pipe. It's up in the trust space in the ceiling. I think it was on the second floor. So plumber goes up there and starts sweating the pipe to thaw out the blockage, and he ignites the He gets a small fire going up in the trust loft. He tries putting it out. He's unsuccessful and putting it out, So they leave and I think.
Speaker 5: They called it in.
Speaker 12: But by the time the fire department arrived, it was, like I said, off to the races. This entire complex that you see in the upper picture there burnt down. I believe it was almost five hundred people homeless. This isn't a luxury condominium, and I believe the Yankees announcer John Sterling lived in this place. Yeah, there was a big name that lived in the place that got a little more pressed than a fire normally would. But that that is the kind of problem that you're looking at, a fast moving fire, very resource heavy. You know, you're coming in you you don't have enough units ever for something like this, you know, so this is you know, this in New York could probably be the equivalent of a fourth or a fifth alarm, maybe even more today, you know, but but you're you're really playing ketchup because you know, you think about it, it's a beautiful building, fully sprinkled. So so the odds of a fire, a serious fire, are very small statistic.
Speaker 11: But what happens Murphy shows up right boom, you know.
Speaker 4: Dennis Murphy.
Speaker 8: Capt these these newest types like this, Like when I think about that, even even by two eighty eight, as the years went on, the newer construction, everybody who's using those metal studs, right, is that what most of these are done with nowadays?
Speaker 1: Is it all metal?
Speaker 12: I know, I don't think so, because there's quite a few that are a lot of the interior walls are some of the entire building is. I just saw a picture of one. It was the entire building was metal Sea Joys. A little further in, I have some pictures that we took of how those perform at fires. They're in renovations and that new construction, but you'll see it in a minute. They look like spaghetti after that. And I'm talking about the larger Joys, not the interior.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, right, the big Sea Joys.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So we'll get to that in a minute. But I just wanted to show it does happen. It has happened, It's gonna happen again.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 12: And this type of construction is the same construction the buildings that we're gonna be talking about tonight. So okay, God thanks, yeah again we just talked about it before. Not gonna not gonna belabor the point, but get out know your district, you know, know the hydrant locations. Everything's in the computer today. Make sure the computers accurate.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: I used to take guys out driving and I would just be I had the tablet in front of me, you know, the MDT in front of me, and the hydrants are coming up as we're as we're going down the street, and I would just look at it. That's in the right spot. That's you would be amazed how many how many hydrants are in the wrong location, I mean as far as the computer goes. So that's something you want to check when you can and don't depend on somebody else to put it in when you get back, you write it up and put it in and make sure they put it in for the correct location, you know, And then know your buildings, the buildings that are hazards, like we're talking about tonight, Know your target has it's not only just residential, but you know if you got resident we had residential, and it was like in this building, this is residential and they have some special needs folks living there that that needs to be and you know, if there's anybody with mobility issues, you know, and like you guys said before, your access can you get in? Can you get to the riar the rear in these places? A lot of times it's just like that's something that's in common with a row frame, getting a portable ladder to the back, all right, or getting a ladder truck if that's possible.
Speaker 4: You know, some of these god apartments have like medical facilities in them, right, Like let's find a dentist office in their commercial line.
Speaker 11: I haven't seen that too much.
Speaker 12: The the the smaller buildings, No, I haven't seen that, but they definitely do exist. The podium style buildings where you see like two floors of concrete, uh, construction, and then you name it above it.
Speaker 11: I think we got one.
Speaker 12: We got one couple of towns over that's I think ten stories. Uh so that's two, it's it's it's eight over two, eight over two, eight lightweight trusts wood frame floors. Right, so eight lightweight wood, lightweight trust floors over two concrete podium or pedestal floors, depending on what do you what you call them. I think most of the time they call podium buildings today.
Speaker 11: All right, So, so.
Speaker 12: Again, all the hazards that we just saw on that slide on Edgewater in those buildings above the concrete, and and those buildings very often, like you were just saying, very often, those first two floors can be used for a lot of different things. Sometimes they use for parking, sometimes they use for retail and commercial restaurants and things like that. But and I don't think they're that easy to build either. Because I was just reading something about the maintaining the integrity of that division, you know, from let's say two to three where it becomes becomes wood.
Speaker 11: They have to.
Speaker 12: They're pretty stringent on the penetrations, right, because you can see if it was a parking garage on the first floor and then and then or on the second floor and then uh, you know, there's a car fire and extends into the wood trust portion in the building. It's it's just like Edgewater. It's it's off to the races, right.
Speaker 6: So I don't I don't even be able to hear me because.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, I got you, we got you.
Speaker 6: Yeah. But I as far as me listening, I got to apologize because every almost like every other word that Dennis is saying or every third I'm missing it. So it's like I'm afraid to jump in because I'm not here, and half.
Speaker 4: Of what he's saying, you sure it's the internet and not the Yeah, I love the Internet.
Speaker 5: It was serious about that exactly.
Speaker 6: I'll try to get this in. We're talking about pre plan the way I look at it, a classic garden apartment. The difference between that saying the road frame the garden apartment is not is not a front to rear flat. You're exposed what would be.
Speaker 13: Three or a B C is a mirror apartment. So if you if if you have a you know, if you're having a if you have.
Speaker 6: A job in the second story, and what's behind you in exposure three is actually a mirror adjoining apartment, and the fire stopping goes from the two to the four side. I've never seen it where they bring it up in between the front and the rear, because, like I tell you, they go by square footage, so that costs more money. Builders and developers are I don't like spending money. So you have to think about what's behind it on that exposure three side, and normays, you know, exposure three rear yard or it's a street. Exposure three here is going to be in a typical garden apartment, that mirror apartment, and there are plenty of voids for fire to get in there. You got the pipe chases for the bathroom vents. You might have the kitchen vent that runs through and that's common with the built behind it. So those are all things you can't forget about what's happening on the other side. You know, you're thinking about two and four exposed you're doing four, but you got to get back there and see what's going on in exposure three. Also because you know it might be rolling merrily in the air and a void.
Speaker 4: So you need hey, did you say something, because we couldn't hear you.
Speaker 8: That's a good one anyway.
Speaker 11: Anyway, look at the like Hank was saying.
Speaker 12: Sometimes, uh, these buildings have more in common with like what we in New York would call the old abilities like tenements, you know, like with with apartments behind each other. But I'll get get to this one here. This is an interesting fire. This is my mother lived used to live right across the street from this, and so this is a whole big development of this exact type of construction. These are all modular, you know, garden apartments. And if you look at the picture on the right, you can see if you look real closely, there's two doors that go up. Those two doors go to the apartments upstairs on either side, so one of two over two. So there's an apartment on the right, apartment on the left on the first floor, which is hard to see the doors, but if you look look at the entrance and look all the way to the left corner there at the entrance way there to the left of the round yeah, right, so uh, and then there's another one on the other side.
Speaker 1: So so.
Speaker 12: And I'm obviously I'm familiar with the layout here and it's my old apartment. This is Eastmeato, the Great Great Fire Department. But interesting story here, modular. There is some trust from what I've been told in this, although I didn't see it myself. What happens is when, like what just happened with my mom, the place, the place gets sold, right, So the next tenant wants to come in, and these are elderly people.
Speaker 11: It's a Senior citizens complex.
Speaker 12: They want to redo it because generally the place that's being vacated is is dated. So they have a contract to come in or a series of contractors come in and they redo the interior. And that's what was happening here from what I was told, and the contract that came in. And he had a pizza box on the stove. Does that, Hank sound familiar?
Speaker 5: Hank?
Speaker 1: And who right?
Speaker 11: And so he goes to the.
Speaker 12: Back of the apartment or whatever. They're not huge apartments, They're not tiny, but they're not huge.
Speaker 8: And uh.
Speaker 12: He comes back in a pizza boxes on fire. So he takes the pizza box and instead of throwing it in the bathroom sink or just getting an off the sink is right next to the stove and putting it out, he decides to run it outside down the interior stairs. Yeah you thought that, you thought that this only happened in certain neighborhoods.
Speaker 1: Jop security.
Speaker 11: It's universal, it's universal.
Speaker 12: So uh so this guy he drops it at the bottom of the stairs and it takes off back up the stairs and now it's blowing out the front door and cutting off the primary means of egress for both both of the other all three of the other apartments. So interesting. They did a good job. That came in and see the line stretched. It was a one line fire. They they did a very good job putting it out. But I just wanted to point out the layout is interesting. You know, you get something right at the front door there. It's four apartments in a unit, so that's where you're you know, there's no firewalls like Hank was just saying, it's it's a common cock loft upstairs for those four units, you know. But but then there's a division for the one on either side. You know, there's a division wall. So that's a pretty common layout in the United States.
Speaker 1: Right now, I was gonna say, God, you must have those everywhere down by.
Speaker 10: You apartment complexes everywhere. I was going to talk about a little bit with that. Just the millionstructure different is the CBS block. The entire capsulates, the entire structure. That's what just dipparate, sorry, differentiates these from what you guys have up there.
Speaker 4: Basically, yet guys don't down here.
Speaker 6: What I've seen with the garden apartments is that you have a lot with where the second story has instead of a hallway, it has like an out an outside deck. But yeah, outside hallway it's open air into the doors. There's no enclosed hallway, so it's it's.
Speaker 10: The exterior balconies if you will, all the way up here. It's very common down here.
Speaker 6: Right the next area stairs that you know on either side.
Speaker 5: Of the building, and you know the apartment just right down the line, the right.
Speaker 6: Floor right, there's no no door that you open up to get and then walk you know, in a stair interior to get there.
Speaker 5: You opening the door, you're going to the apartment.
Speaker 1: Right, god fully sprinkled, Sorry.
Speaker 10: Something depending on when they were built. That was anything new construction now and you know I was we all know the developers are finding the ways to not put complete sprinkle system in. You know, if it's a it was for example, you know, the code is anything over seventy five feet has to require a building or a sprinkles system. They'll build it to seventy two feets so they don't have to put that extra money into and crazy, So they've they're finding whelways about it. For the most part, we're pretty agressive, so we want you know, since Hurricane Andrew and that stuff, they they're pretty proactive and making sure that these buildings can sprinkle as much as they can.
Speaker 12: So well, that's that's what what I like is what you're still doing down there is the masonry units, the masonry walls that are going up, because that's the best protection from my point of view.
Speaker 11: I mean, you just see it over and over again.
Speaker 10: This is just this is not you know, this is a multi story if you will type, but it's CBS block hurricane windows. You know, they're encapsulated in balconies all the way up. Kind of touching on what Hank was talking about earlier. Every every apartment is pretty much set the same on every floor is almost identical. You know, we tell everybody go to the floor below for you layout and make your way up to the fire floor, et cetera. But that's what it's very common is to see what you see here.
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely, And that's good construction, both for storm prep and for and for fire safety. You know, contains the fire tends to be contained.
Speaker 5: You know, compartmental, mentalized, I can't even say it. So it becomes a room and content fire basically, and uh, you know it gets up in the roof for it starts on the top floor, then we have to worry about it, go and left and right.
Speaker 1: Almost like a project fire.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: And it's the same type of construction really.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, all that hurricane uh preparation or the block with the with the rebarrow and the hurricane windows, that is great. But the thing that that is bad is like where we grow up. You could have a stick frame house with two by two by six is two by eighth, two by tens is your rafter is everything down here? The house could be built like a tank, but once it gets to the roof, it's all lightweight. Trust whether it's a private dwelling right here, so everything is lightweight trusts.
Speaker 5: You know, same thing here. This is your full lightweight trust that is what we have.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: And and you know when you know going in there that you you know the clock is ticking. So that's that's the big thing. I'm sure if firefighters in Florida more aware than anybody as to what they're dealing with that you.
Speaker 4: Know, hey, guys, those hurricane windows any have any effect on venting or is it harder to break those windows or is it?
Speaker 10: Yeah, guys, if they they can a little especially if they're an insulated glass where it's it takes a little bit a little bit more to get through them. But for us, it's it's the guys get gas sometimes just trying. If you don't use the right force mil entry technique to get through them, you're gonna get your ass kicked to be spent special obviously, you know, the time of day down here is how does it been? All those other factors, But they they're not easy to get through. We have some good tools that can you know, you can use a skill set bit right through and and and cut them out. You know, as long as you can use the right tech.
Speaker 4: Really is that what they do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, in the middle of it at all, you're gonna get Yeah, well, if somebody doesn't train, you're good. They You're gonna tell a guy that's swinging at that wind taking down there.
Speaker 4: That's why nobody takes Why everybody's on the roof, that's why you guys on the roof. Nobody's taking windows K nine.
Speaker 5: So now you know the little miniature K twelve if you will. It's a K nine now nine inch blade that we have a general blade on. It cuts right through the glass.
Speaker 1: I tell you what.
Speaker 6: It was an eye opener for me the first time when I went to a land on there with the Orange County Wow and uh and then I think by you gons too, with the coral springs they had they got they got hurricane glass sliding doors from one of the guys donated and to actually, like you said, you're not breaking it with a halligaan and.
Speaker 5: Acts and you can, but you're just it's gonna take a lot of work, right.
Speaker 6: But even even but it's it's like learning how to cut a roll down for us like they were they were young firefighters there and then they were cutting it with the sword. They cut the left side, the right side of the bottom. But then they made a doggy doll because it doesn't break, it swings unlam in it. So it was like you know, and then they couldn't reach a pietough. So like we said, well, let's let's talk about this. Let's brainstorm it. I said, you know, like cut it like you would have done, make a v at the top and then bring it down. And they tried that, and then the whole glass door fell in, so you didn't have the swinging door, you know, doggy doll. But yeah, that's it's tough stuff. It houlds the heat, that's for sure.
Speaker 10: It definitely does. Con that's where it influenced. Now you talk about tactics and you talk about fire behavior. It definitely influenced these these style buildings. You know, doesn't breathe so quickly, you know, you know, so that does.
Speaker 4: And you lose that, You lose that that one sense of you know, when you're searching hearing that glass break, right, that's gone, Well.
Speaker 8: How about getting out if you got to get out of there, and that now I can't take the glass to get out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you can. It's just it's again it's a lot of work, you know, if.
Speaker 4: You don't round are saying his men and then there's men roughly don't know if you'll make.
Speaker 1: I didn't think sure.
Speaker 5: I don't want to insault anybody. I'm just saying.
Speaker 6: One other point. Well, because we're talking about trust roofs here, and if you're a firefighter now and you don't know about lightweight trust and find another profession. But Dennis, you and I I remember years ago teaching and we when we started teaching about with the lightweight trust, we all learned about it because it started here in Florida with the Reedy Creek Fire Department by Disney right in the seventies. They had the gift shop and they went in. The two guys went in with the line. The fire had gotten up in the roof, and the whole root lightweight with trust collapsed on them and killed them both.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: That's when we everybody started, how did this happen? Oh, it's lightweight with trust, and that kind of took all from there.
Speaker 12: I was one of the first really publicized incidents of a firefighter line of duty death involving trust. They built that gift shop back exactly the way it was trust and all right after that, so you know, the whole idea of being educated about it. No, in the hazards, it's real important because you know they're going to have that thing rebuilt before your your wife gets your death benefit for a while.
Speaker 6: Why aren't they making it in certain places where you had to put a placard on it that said, like lightweight, would trust roof for something? They were doing that with something. I think ai RS in New York if it was yeah.
Speaker 5: That's that's all over in New York.
Speaker 12: I mean, they were quiet to placard it now, you know, But I think it's optional for a pre existing condition. In other words, if you have a trust building already, you know. So there's thousands and thousands of them out there, you know. I don't know if they're required to placard it. I'm not one hundred percent sure. We were just talking about that. I'm not sure how that works because if it's a pre pre existing condition, I don't know.
Speaker 11: If that's all right, let's move on to the next one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got this one for you. We're going to do some tactics on this. Oh my god, where is that Lego Land Montreal.
Speaker 12: Oh my god, there's a building on Leonard Street that looks like it could be the father of that building, you know, yeah, the Jengle building.
Speaker 11: Right yeah, I think Brian Kelty had that, yes, yes, yeah, So.
Speaker 12: Anyway, uh again, this is just you know, he's a going to partm It's like I said, the quad, you know, you see you can see the entrances a little better. But like I said, it's they were modular. That's another big thing with these particular buildings. And my mother was was amazed at the fire and went in there.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm.
Speaker 12: It's like the laughing stock of my whole family. I can't believe those people went in there to put that fire out.
Speaker 4: You know, like that, you know, I am.
Speaker 11: So anyway, joke, know what she's doing.
Speaker 1: Back there there? What is she doing back there?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Next time, nice drapped metal on that. So again, knowing your buildings, knowing how they're constructed, knowing the building codes and which ones fit into each group, you know, that's important. We're not going to get into that here. But the upper picture here is a very good photograph, very clear photograph of a podium style building. I think it's only one story. It looks like it might be parking on the first floor with apartments above. So this this building is going up everywhere now, all over the country.
Speaker 5: Right now, yep.
Speaker 11: And they're very popular.
Speaker 12: And you know, again, all I can say is they have a lot of similarities with the exception of the podium portion, the concrete.
Speaker 11: Lower floor portion with that Edgewater, New Jersey building.
Speaker 5: So be prepared.
Speaker 12: And then you go to the other end of the spectrum to fire resistive, like this hospital near me, which is very well built, steel, skelt and masonry, you know, the whole thing. It's it's what a hospital should be, you know, as far as its construction goes.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, there's parking what to the which one the ones that they have built by me, they attach a parking garage to these.
Speaker 12: The ones by us, but a lot of them have parking garages in the basement and.
Speaker 11: On the first five Yeah, that's that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: The potential that's probably below.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So here you go going apartments like we were just talking about. Yeah, and this is this is everywhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a tourist right there. Bro, it's an old picture.
Speaker 12: A bunch of my colleagues is that this is one of the slides from the NASA Fire Academy.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 12: But it points this out very well, you know, and it's clearly indicated two or three stories in hike, and you can see, as Hank was talking about earlier, the entrances lined up the way they are. There's all different configurations. We just saw ones where they were two in the middle and then one on you know, ninety degrees on either side. But there's all sorts of different configurations. But again, one of this decates basically for most of the time one apartment, one apartment on each floor, and then one apartment on the second floor right next line. The same thing here. Now this is the differences like townhouses. I think this is my son's development where he lives, but I'm not sure. But you can see what the division the dividing walls are exactly what you see, and up in the attic you'll see them extending up to that point, you know, and whether they go to the bottom where they go through. These obviously go to the bottom. But you can't from the outside tell whether, like guns I was saying, whether they're masonary walls or whether they're gypsum walls, you know, doubled up one in sheet rock, which basically gives you that rating. And they generally you can tell their separate utilities for each that's an easy way to pick it out. But our next line, okay, same thing here, you know, but the difference is the doors. You know, again, one unit, one unit, one family lives in that entire section between the yellow lines, all right, and that yeah, that's okay, But that was what I was getting at before. You notice how the roof lines here are staggered. Okay, that's that's the firewar. That's how you can tell it's a firewall. All right, it's generally intact. And that's that's what they do. They stagger at that one picture at the beginning, those were all staggered.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 11: It's just an easy way for them to to put a firewar.
Speaker 5: And how do we identify that pre planned get out? Get out there? Maybe oh bell, yeah, we got.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 8: If you're taking and you're on the on the take, you know, then it's all right, Andy k swimming and miss he struck him out.
Speaker 12: Every ten years, that seems to happen, right, It's like a ten year cycle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you have to take an interest in this when it's going up, not just after it. That's exactly I'm saying, because once it's up and then you pull up to this, you're never going to know whether did they put a masonry wall? Is a double gypsum, you know, And that's a great opportunity for fire officers to be taking pictures to drill on later. And when you fire fighters get there after it's built, they can say this is in our district, and this is this is what you know aur was built, and this is how fire's gonna spread.
Speaker 8: So Hank Garo's pictures were still on the computer when when I got there in O nine back when I came back, they were.
Speaker 1: Still on there.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 6: You know you know how it's built.
Speaker 12: Mm hmm yeah, because what you have today it it might sleep for decades before you actually have an incident in it.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 11: I used to always say, you know, my training's out here.
Speaker 12: I would say, you know, this stuff goes into computer and we might not need it until the guy and I'll point to the prob.
Speaker 11: Until a little.
Speaker 12: Tommy here who just joined last week is the chief. You know that maybe the next time we need to use this. But it's true because it just goes It's like it goes to sleep, you know, and unless the senior men in the offices walk it up and go, you know what the problem is with that building? You know what the major safety issue is there, you know. And with all of these, the biggest thing is the interior, which we didn't even talk about. It's just like a private dwell and the open interior stairs that carries the products and combustion upstairs. And then the other stuff comes into play, the compartmentalization, like Gonzo said, Uh, the the common cockloft if it gets up there, how How.
Speaker 11: How well secured is that cocklift?
Speaker 5: How?
Speaker 12: And that goes back to what Hank just said about seeing it when it's installed. And I got a couple of good slides. Hopefully we get to them of a building in Queens that was going up and didn't do such a great job. So they haven't had an incident in it, but we'll see. So move on to the next line.
Speaker 1: And here it is.
Speaker 12: That's exactly what I was talking of. So so I got a I got three real experienced people here. What is the problem in this in this this building is under construction. This has been occupied for twenty five years now. The web, right, somebody, somebody lives here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is going on the.
Speaker 5: Web using that they're using that isn't b board for the web and the trust.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's certainly part of it. All lightweight components.
Speaker 12: It's a huge, huge quad uh lightweight wood trusts as a ridge pole.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 11: But this that's not what I'm talking about.
Speaker 14: This is that stuck on the insulation. Now what is that thing on the tough one?
Speaker 11: Where are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: Right now? You have you have insulation that's still creating a void for travel to spread where the two by four walls are. You got t J I as as your your floor joys or your ceiling raft is there wherever the ticos are holding in. So that's just you know, and then obviously you got the gusset plates that are holding together. It is this lightweight would trust that with a little bit of fire, you know, it's gonna h wish I could zoom in on that, you know, I.
Speaker 11: Mean, it's okay, I'm gonna tell I'm gonna tell you, Uh, it's not going up to the top. Yeah, that's exactly it. That's exactly it.
Speaker 12: So this is getting back to the point earlier about what the quality is of the firewalls and the partitions between the between the units. And like Hank said, you got to get in there when it's under construction. So Brian, Hicky and I stopped because it was on our way home, you know. And uh, when when we first started working together downtown and we said, there's this new complex was at the Northern State Parkway and the Grand Central Parkway is the old seminary property there, and they built I don't know how many forty or fifty beautiful, very upscale townhouses. This is the attic of one of them, so peaked roof you can see all the components. The components itself, like you guys pointed out, are plenty enough to worry about. But that green board is that insulation, that's uh, that's ships and boarders, that's the firewall. And they just and they managed to do a great job getting it in, getting it corked, getting it compliant, except they just in every unit we went in the space, Yeah, they.
Speaker 5: Couldn't quite get it up. I'm waiting. This is going to be a fifth lawn.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be a sleeping cap its sleeping sleep.
Speaker 12: Man, it's snoring away. But man, what a surprise. I gave this to the Deputy Chief and the division at the time.
Speaker 5: Nothing.
Speaker 14: Heck, have you ever seen trusses married up like that?
Speaker 1: Like there's four or five of them there? How many of that?
Speaker 5: I've never seen six six eight two eight? Yeah, it might be the web.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's that big, guys, don't. That's why there's so many of them put together, either a two by four or two by six.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'd say two by six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I've never seen that before. And they're not resting on anything.
Speaker 5: Looks like it actually looks like it is. I thought the same thing.
Speaker 4: Places on it.
Speaker 6: They're resting on the two by it has to be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's amazing, right right, And then.
Speaker 6: The other two by fours are just there to give structural strength between the webs. But the bottom, the bottom cord is west is resting on a column.
Speaker 4: I say.
Speaker 8: It does look like that, Yeah, yeah it is because the one is different colors, you know, like flat.
Speaker 6: Right, there's five two by fours that it's sitting on.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever seen that like that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, No, it's very unusual.
Speaker 12: Brian Hickey and I were talking about it the rest of the way home, and we're going, man, this is going to kill somebody. I mean, this is unbelievable. But you know, but it's out there, and it's it's not the only example of things like this.
Speaker 11: It's sleeping, yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 6: You know the reason I would have to be that big because it's probably spanning a tremendous uh area, Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, it was what distance.
Speaker 12: These were big luxury buildings, I mean, and uh but rows of them, you know, ros them.
Speaker 11: I have more pictures of it.
Speaker 1: We took.
Speaker 5: I took like twenty.
Speaker 6: Thirty like you said, the weakness there besides the the gust plates.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, and somebody graduated a.
Speaker 6: Quarter inch the thing falls out and then it's just it's a domino.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: The first ones were actually occupied when we went to this, and you know, I mean two two, yeah, this is that's that's the same thing. These are these are these are ones in the same development that are not quite as far along. So if you look real closely where the vertical wall is on the left hand side of the picture, you'll see that same gypsum.
Speaker 11: Board doubled up I think one inch.
Speaker 12: If you look over to the right when the ladder is the work ladder that you know, the manufactured ladder. Uh, there's the other one right there, doubled up one inch. That's the firewall right on either side between units. And again everything it's a lumber yard, you know, uh, built on a slab. But everyone that we went in had that little gap at the top, you know, so the drywall contractor really needed some work.
Speaker 11: I mean again, was I there when they sold it and they opened it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 12: Did they finish it right? I tend to doubt it because we saw one like that. I think that one that we just saw, the previous slide may have been in a unit that had been sold already but not occupied.
Speaker 6: So in the city of New York, and I think it's still the same. And I don't know. Like down by UK, we are guns, but you know, large commercial high rise and stuff. When it comes time they have to have a separate fire inspection as far as for fire retard and you know, anytime there's a penetration and they have to use a certain amount of a certain type of quark and everything. But here these guys, these architects can self self certified, So I mean, yeah, they're they're kind of liable because they're putting the name to it.
Speaker 12: But we all know that.
Speaker 6: You know, sometimes there's an envelope that comes across the table and you know, once the walls closed up, it's like no harm, no.
Speaker 4: Foul, right exactly, you know the cutout for I know, I was like, man, builders, curse this whole arm in that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's an abortion.
Speaker 12: That thing on the right, I think I should I think I showed you a picture of the building on the left with the cutout with the with the what do you call it the ductwork going through it. There was a there was a this building on the left had a cutout for a c duct work that was almost the entire diameter of the wet you know, so it was, uh so, where's it gonna fail? And then look a look at the end wall. The end wall is Sea Joyce metal. You were talking about metal Sea Joys earlier. You know, that's that's the bearing wall on this, you know, so not hard to see. And then when you see them really yeah, you know, you know you know what these are?
Speaker 6: Why flood braced right there? Because they need to get some more, some more in there to hold a damn platform up.
Speaker 12: Yeah, exactly, And these were in one seventy six is first to area about three blocks in the firehouse. The guy told us that the reason they one of the reasons that they used the metal see joys on the baring walls is like Gonza was saying in Florida, and they used the masonry units to send the blocks right. Well, here they were able to. This is what happens with the codes. They're different from place to place. They're trying to change that and they have to a certain extent. But this is what was allowed. It was like the wild while west back and this was in the nineteen nineties, the early nineties, right.
Speaker 11: But this guy told me because.
Speaker 12: This was an entire block of these, he said, by doing that, by getting away from the cinder blocks, they picked up enough space between each unit for an entire city block a long block to put.
Speaker 1: Up another unit, another building.
Speaker 5: Yeah, another building. So that's like the building code seventy five feet. We need a spickle system. Yeah. Yeah, it just went the other way with that one.
Speaker 6: And the other.
Speaker 12: The other picture speaks for itself. All I have to say is thank God, craftsmanship isn't dead, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, those with those joys, you're allowed to make a penetration one third of the diameter of the joist without affecting its strength integrity. So right right there, you've got two tandem where they have no you know, the one they cut the whole top cord off and then basically the whole web.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the top corner.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's little integrity there, and the other one, the whole web is cut out. So there's there's hardly any structural integrity there. You get any fire in there, and it's just going.
Speaker 4: That's a beauty.
Speaker 12: Without a debt. Let me just see if I can find where the other Oh these are your sea joyce. Now these were in a These these were brand new, These were in the city. This was in a renovated tenement on Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn, the one picture on the left right. So how did these buildings perform?
Speaker 5: I forget.
Speaker 12: I had to go to a meeting one day and Brian Hicky and I were working together, So I think it might have been Ray Goldback or Eddie Garerty said they had a they had like a third alarm in Sunset Park last night. But they said there was a big issue with some new type of construction and also in a renovation. Right.
Speaker 11: This is the building on the right is the aftermath of the second alarm in Sunset Park where these were used in a renovation, right, not not in a new building, not in new construction. And look at how they behaved at that second alarm. All right, they look like spaghetti right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 12: So you know I thought when I first yeah, I thought when I first saw them that, you know, not a performer, right, And then you see it now and all every fire with these things.
Speaker 5: Looks like that.
Speaker 6: You know, that's an interesting picture. If you look at Dennis, the one where the see joysts are all you know, the form, that's an old frame next to it.
Speaker 12: Correct, Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. And I believe the firebuilding was a renovated frame.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: So for you New York guys that are watching the young ones, when you talk about the frame, and it's talking about brick nogging in between you you know, the units, that's what all that is what you see in between those charred wouldn't uh you know, wouldn't uh studs, that's brick nogging that's supposed to keep fire from spreading into the next building. But you know, when it's one hundred years old and the mortars dried out, and you see they just used all old bricks and stuff. You could see how easily fire, you know, fire could you know, spread through.
Speaker 5: That it's another building.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so yeah, so that's you know that it was a newly renovated building next to that old frame.
Speaker 11: Right exactly.
Speaker 12: I just you know, don't be deceived like like I was the first time I saw this, And I said, which I saw at in new construction. We were able to walk through it, But I said, now, who knows, you know, because we had no experience with it. I don't think anybody did at that point. And I don't think this will be that bad. It's you know, it's noncombustible, and man, you see it gets exposed to heat, it wilts, you know, it just wilts right away, all right.
Speaker 5: So what do we have to do.
Speaker 12: We were talking about it a little earlier. You know, I've I've always loved this. That's saying is the single best life saving action is a well placed hose line.
Speaker 11: Put it, put it out before it kills somebody or it comes looking for us. And uh and that's it.
Speaker 12: You know, we we we tend to get a little we overthink things sometimes today, uh as to what we should be doing and just you know, go back to basics and get the line into operation. You know, you can't stress that enough. You know, it's just get that, get that first line operating.
Speaker 6: Wet stuff on the red stuff right now.
Speaker 4: It's an old picture, five man engine.
Speaker 5: Yeah here right, yeah, but that's what it says.
Speaker 12: You know, they did a lot of studies with that, and that's how they were able to justify five man five man staffing and uh, you know, get to remember one of those guys as the pump operator. So it's four guys to stretch. And even today when it's a four man engine and it's three man's three men stretching.
Speaker 5: What does the job do?
Speaker 12: The job requires companies, especially for the first line, because the job is emphasizing get the first line. That they that they team up engine companies. That's requiet today.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 11: So that was we were doing that before I retire. You know, it was like oh a second do was stuck?
Speaker 4: You know, it's just unless you that don't go right, don't go allegedly allegedly.
Speaker 12: So so but what I'm what I'm saying, you know what, again, for around the country, we get spoiled in New York because you know, we do have decent staffing. That's one of the things I've always, you know, said, when when I've I've spoken or talked to guys from around the country, we're spoiled. You know, you go to a place like where Gonzo works, it's a completely different ball game. It's a completely different ballgame.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 12: I always remember going to Disney once with my kids, and you know, we were never like off duty. And you know, you pull up to a light and a lot of truck pulls up next to me, and I'm looking at how many guys are in the back of this thing, you know, I'm looking.
Speaker 5: At it one Maybe anyway you might get a second one.
Speaker 12: This is the number one tourist destination in the United States. They are printing money basically in this town, you know, and they can only afford one firefighter.
Speaker 11: In the back.
Speaker 12: Now, the average person doesn't know anything. They know that there's the firefighter, and there's there's firefighters on the fire truck.
Speaker 5: We're good.
Speaker 12: But we all know when we look at these buildings that we're staying in and we go this is a standpipe. This is you know, this is a major, major UH commitment of manpower just to.
Speaker 5: Search this place.
Speaker 12: But if there isn't it, you know, so it's it's there's a lot of smoking mirrors going on these days.
Speaker 5: Five more, Darren, at least five more, five more.
Speaker 6: Hated. You said that we're spoiled. I don't think we're spoiled. I think we're staffed the way you should be staffed. Yeah, you're right, you're and you know I want you know, we've got friends all over now, you know, Carolina is in Florida, and I would say, man, you know, I can't believe you're getting it done with with this small amount of guys you have.
Speaker 10: Well, it's just about calling the UH the alums early and you know, you kill it with manpower with a few trucks. You know, we'll kill it with man power with several several trucks kind of thing, because you need the body.
Speaker 6: The problem with that is also a distance, you know, Yeah, it takes longer to get the guys there.
Speaker 4: About places that are even more roll than where Gonzo is. I mean, they're ryan with nobody, man, I mean, they're waiting a while for somebody else to come in.
Speaker 5: Light were just a driver, you go.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you this, because I think in New York it was always the dispatchers had a lot of leeway. If they would get numerous calls and you could hit the phone ring and they would tell the chief, going, listen, Chief, we're getting numerous calls. We're giving you an extra engine and truck or you know whatever. I've never you know, I've been in firehouses down here, and I've never liked Is it that strict that they don't give the dispatches or the dispatches just aren't into the job that way to get there and then make that decision okay, now we need more units.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: It's it's changing a little bit, but for the most part of the dispatches they have a strict way that they go. And if it's something like that where they're gett multiple phone calls, they'll they'll dispatch the first along assignment and then so by the way, chief, we're getting received numerous phone calls on that and the chief's paying attention, which most of us are paying attention, they'll upgrade the assignment and send a nexture engine or a rescue or something like that to start until we get somebody on scene.
Speaker 5: But that's usually how it is.
Speaker 10: But the dispatchers don't have the freedom too, because you guys operate completely different. I wish they had a little bit more freedom to do that and and you know, make those judgment calls when they get the information firsthand. We have a lot of new dispatchers too that we're trying to train, so we're trying we're dealing with that transition as well now too. But to answer your question, is it's really you know, up to the chief if they provide the right information on dispatch, because.
Speaker 6: I mean at a minute or two, you know, getting a rig roll and you know that much sooner.
Speaker 8: Yeah, difference in your initial like Frank you said, you can always turn them back, Yeah, always turn them back.
Speaker 11: Yeah, get getting water on the fire is is there?
Speaker 6: It's one on one.
Speaker 4: Solve a lot of problems.
Speaker 12: Yeah, next slide, next things better, But we still have the rescue problem, like you see problems, Yeah, big problems, right, and then you know removing civilians right there that now you now your hose operation comes to a grinding wault if you've only got one one unit. Yeah, that's the that's the classic promotional exam question. What do you do you pull up and there's somebody hanging out a window like the picture on the right. Uh, but you've got to you're an engine company. You got to stretch the line.
Speaker 5: So what do you do?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 12: So that that's always been an issue in the fire service, you know, going back forever. I always remember reading an article about the Lady of Angels fire in Chicago and the first two the first two officer on the first two engine was pillaried initially because he stretched the line, and he stretched the line in when they were you know, they were dropping kids out of the upper floors, right. But in hindsight, he did exactly the right thing because he got in there and he was able to start knocking the fire down, and by putting that line where he put it, he saved an additional number of people who would have perished if he had for.
Speaker 8: The reason you just said that in two seconds ago, right, get the line in operation.
Speaker 1: It's exactly more lives than uh, you know, but.
Speaker 12: We still are going to have we're still going to have the rescue problems, you know, And this is what this is the one thing that bothers me with lightweight construction is it's all okay, it's manageable.
Speaker 11: It's manageable. It's manageable.
Speaker 12: Like we're talking now, right, all right, we've thought about it, we're aware of it, we're gonna we know how to handle it. But it's always at two o'clock in the morning or one o'clock in the afternoon, that understaffed engine turns the corner. And now mom is on the front lawn and this building which we have no intention of going into because it's so hazardous because of the way they built it. Now now, now two kids are in there, you know, And that's what always happens. And then we got then we got to be firefighters, you know, then we gotta Now we're not, you know, we want to be safety advocates. We want to do things safely. We want to everybody go home, all this stuff. But mom is on the front lawn, two kids are in there.
Speaker 5: You know, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 12: So next lefe, there's a fire up by us again, same kind of thing, you know, guarding apartments. Uh, life hazard is I believe Jericho and New York. Uh, But again void spaces fire can really extend, and it did, and unprotected cock loft fanatic spaces, which you know are going to vary in the type of compartmentation that they have to limit the spread. You know, it's going to vary from from even in the same municipality. Generation of buildings, you know, buildings that were built forty years ago, fifty years ago are gonna have a different level of fire protection and the buildings that were built today, you know, so and you have to be aware of it. And again, getting back to what we've been saying over and over again, you got to get out, you got to inspect them, you got to be aware of the hazards.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Lou, I mean sorry, that's over note.
Speaker 11: Okay, So what do we do?
Speaker 12: You know, the general tactics are get a line into operation and then flank the fire on either side to keep it from extending pair, you know, out past the building. So to do that, you know, to the exposures, the exposures on the right and your left, you know, And that's easier said and done. Again, think about the amount of empower. It's a full line fire, as we said earlier, you know, at least a full line fire what kind of resources do you need on seen in your organization to be able to do that, to be able to to to get that kind of efficiency and get that kind of water on the fire, and to be able to confine and extinguish the fire. You know, you know, yeah, yeah, very often it's gonna be. But sometimes when you know, if it hasn't, let's say it's in the original the original townhouse, and it's up and into the attic, you can get into the exposures without much problem, get start to get the ceilings down and apply water to keep it from spreading. But again, if you don't have the resources to do that, you're absolutely right. Gun, So oh, you're absolutely right. It's it's gonna be a tower. And in some places you know it is from the get.
Speaker 1: Gun face something like that.
Speaker 10: I mean, for us, so you're talking about tactics, something that's coming through the roof, were more than likely we're not going in. It's going to be immediately a surround the drought, our taxes if we can't handle it, because our engines carry on a thousand gallons of water on all of them. So if we can't hit it with the first two un scene it's going to a defensive operation. We're not even going you know, with staffing everything too.
Speaker 4: I've been watching a lot of videos putting these videos together for the couple of Joes that I do, and I think one of the most underused tools is the deck gun because I see it a lot, like in Harrisburg where they do a lot of they do a lot of work. They'll have three buildings going and only one engines on site, and I don't know how many guys they ride with, and they're calling, you know, get the dock deck gun, Get the deck gun, and the Shoff climbs up there and he knocks down a lot of fire with the deck gun before the guys can get in there and stretch a light.
Speaker 10: Depending on the tank water, you know, they we got a good minute burst, you know for some of us two minutes after, just.
Speaker 4: Enough to knock get down so just for another engine to come in and get the line stretched or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: But we used to practice. It was like one of the first things we did. It became the squad right cat Murphy Cash. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 8: We had to shut off on the top so you could shut you know, you could start it then run up and then open it up, you know, I remember.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and that's the you know, what are they calling it now, transitional attack or whatever, but Wood's attack whiskers, Yeah, I know, and and and it's like, you know, there are times for everything, you know, I don't I don't agree with that, like for a one room fire now.
Speaker 11: But I got a picture of a house going.
Speaker 12: I don't know if we'll get to it, but over the summer that we used the deck gun and the fire was knocked down in thirty seconds to a minute. I mean, I think more on the thirty second end. And it was it was a fully involved house fire. It went from being an expand operation to an operation now that was contained and mopped up with hand lines pretty much. I think we used the towel adder for a little bit and then and then they mopped it up with hand lines. But again using the right tool at the right time.
Speaker 6: You know that.
Speaker 12: That's that's important. If you you know what you want to skip to that because we don't have that much time left. I'll show you what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: Uh, go to go to thirty five stand by boom.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's a perfect job for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know, just protect the exposures at that point, you know.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So this is this is three thirty in the afternoon, okay, on a weekday. The story is that this fire started on the outside, somewhere on the on the side we're looking at.
Speaker 11: The closest exposure was on the two side on the b side right, and.
Speaker 12: That was getting ready to go sighting was burnt off of the house that's on the exposure foreside that we're looking at here.
Speaker 5: People are home for this.
Speaker 12: There's a grandmother watching her granddaughter in the house. And luckily there was a contractor across the street that was putting a driveway in or something, and the guys ran across the street and were able to get the people out the back door. They didn't even know the fire. The house was on fire, so it's all on the outside. So it's a little deceiving looking at it. But it's not on the outside anymore looking at this picture, because it got right into the cock loft and the attic, i should say, and it was just fully involved. So anyway, the engine gets in and just like what I was gonna say, this picture was taken by a neighbor across the street, so next line. So these guys came in.
Speaker 11: This is the first two.
Speaker 12: Engine on the left, and they get on the hydrant.
Speaker 11: For one, you know, luck is on our side. The hydrant is diagonally across the street.
Speaker 6: Oh, they hit it.
Speaker 12: They hit it with this deck gun. And like I said, they had a great water supply. The hydrant was right there, and this thing.
Speaker 11: Was knocked down. That kind of fire was knocked down.
Speaker 12: In thirty seconds to a minute, mopped up with that towel ladder and hand lines and literally this operation was under control in twenty minutes, you know, from what you just saw. But again, like you guys were talking about before, Yeah, and that could have that could have been an expanding operation into into two different homes, you know, other than you know that we tend to look at the the tactics, but we we don't look at the big picture, the strategy of confining it, you know. And uh, and they they eliminated that boom and then the first hand line went and protected the exposure.
Speaker 11: So boom, that problem now is not And you know he can ask Gonzo, he's the chief.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 12: Now, all of a sudden, it's a very different fire problem. It's a very different fire problem. It's completely changed, you know. And like you said, you got a thousand gallons. You know, these guys are running with like six fifty or whatever, and that put that you so, so yeah, this is this is about six fifty this truck. But but uh, you know a thousand you're going to really make a dent today. You know you got to you know, even even using a master stream.
Speaker 14: So but if you're an engine shoa, you have to have that in your like you said, you got that in your head.
Speaker 4: Bro, you the guy my brother comes to the window, and you can and you can.
Speaker 8: Exactly somebody I a civilian, yeah, anybody. I'm not saying you have to throw it in the window every time you pull up. I'm just saying, like you have to have that well because you when you're the show for you have you can get there in ten seconds.
Speaker 1: You open it, you're up there, it's operating.
Speaker 4: I used to charge the car fire the trash line in the front, that small I used to charge once I got water for the guys, I would stretch that, charge it and leave it right by my pump pedal. Yeah, I mean unless somebody else run a line. If you read you're just sitting there doing nothing. Yeah, so you might as well.
Speaker 11: You know, and you got it.
Speaker 5: You got it.
Speaker 12: And if something goes wrong, something that we're not expecting, you've got something to handle it right there.
Speaker 6: So I have no problem with that with the private, private dwelling. But I'm having an internal conflict right now. Can we go back to slide twenty five?
Speaker 5: Most certainly.
Speaker 4: We have an internal conflict.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hold on, let's get that because I couldn't let go let it go by without some clarification. So Gonzo and this is this is not I'm not pointing at you, but oh yes, you said when it's through the roof, you go into an exterior operation.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, unlet's obviously if there's a life hazard or something like that, then obviously life.
Speaker 6: Is But my questions so on this type of build, when it's a multiple dwelling like this or you know, townhouse or with exposure, two is connected, maybe three is connected and four is connected. I don't have a problem with the X stereor through the roof, but we're still going to put our troops are in two and three and four with hooks to at least make holes to see if that fire is starting to spread, and if we have any indication, we're going to be calling for lines on the interior to pull those ceilings and stop that fire from spreading. Is that correct?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it would be depending on the building construction. Remember the concrete structures that they're not really going to go anywhere. They may not spread that much further. Yes, it could with depending on the firewall where they're building or how it's laid out. Yeah, well may try to take a defensive stamp and keep it contained to that corner, so to speak, but not put it in that area.
Speaker 6: Right, But like I said, any experience I've ever had with the garden apartment fire, like I said, they're not it's not one unit and then fire stopping it goes by Like I said, square footage, you could have three or four units and then seventy five hundred square feet of that ten thousand square feet. So if the fire is gets up in that attic or cockle off whichever, you know, if it's peaked or flat, you know, and now it's gonna start spreading horizontally, so you know, to me, you still got to treat it like a like you would have an old cockla fire you gotta get people in the adjoining buildings or units and see what's going on there, you know, whether and if you got to bring an attic ladder or whatever, you got to poke a little hole, you got to take your glove off and stick your hand up there. You're seeing any red, any smoke, you know, because I to me, I have a problem. If it's just exterior, we're pushing water, you know, we're trying to put this out and in the meantime, fire is getting into the exposure too. And four and maybe three you know, if it's if they're if they're mirrored.
Speaker 10: So yes, I mean, of course it's a tactical decision to be made on seeing whatever you're presented with. I don't want to say completely know, but they if you remember years ago, several months ago, City of Miami had that uh it was an old building, historic building, that court.
Speaker 5: Fire was up on the roof.
Speaker 10: They went defensive and it started on will say, on the second floor of a three story building. They surrounded dramad with towel at us. So, depending on where they have the access, where they're gonna take that risk, you know, risk a lot to save a lot of whole kind of thing. It's not out of the question basically as what I should say depending on what you're presented on scene.
Speaker 5: But for the most part, we got fired through the roof. Like you know we talked about before in other episodes.
Speaker 10: Where you know, you may not be putting people in the in harm's way unnecessarily unless as a life hazard.
Speaker 6: I'm just adope, fine, man. But like I said of being on the panel here, I couldn't let that slide go and just say I'm good with the next story or attack here.
Speaker 14: You know, like I said, just put it in the window, bro, put it in the window.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 5: It's got to be the transition.
Speaker 6: Right hand and say we protect life and that's a new.
Speaker 1: And put it.
Speaker 8: Put it on the bottom by senior dude, hit it hot from the yard, baby, bullshit, bull ship go.
Speaker 5: To twenty twenty seven, twenty seven. That's okay, no problem, All right, this.
Speaker 11: Is this is a beautiful row condos in my town.
Speaker 12: Anyway. These are senior citizens housing. Okay, so built on a slab dead end street. This is taken from the dead end looking back at the entrance right all right, next line mm hmm, okay, this is this was them under construction. So this is the end, at the opposite end of what we just saw. The are the entrances, and this.
Speaker 11: Is the inside.
Speaker 12: So Parallel would would like trust Parallel cord Woodline Trust. But you know, the same kind of fire protect firewall, exactly the same as what we saw earlier. Okay, And just I just want to point out something. Just go back to that previously.
Speaker 1: I've loved a little more professionally done.
Speaker 12: Yeah yeah, yeah, and probably a lot less expensive too. But I just want to point something out, perfectly legal in the code where I live.
Speaker 5: All Right.
Speaker 11: You see the on the picture on the right up on top, you see those yellow.
Speaker 5: You know what those are? Those gas pipes.
Speaker 11: Yep, that's legal pecks. Yeah, whatever it's called.
Speaker 5: Right, pet is a new Copper.
Speaker 12: This is a Senior Citizens complex. Yeah, I'm just saying what could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 11: So, uh So, anyway, this is why when these things are going off.
Speaker 5: From nothing small gas, don't worry about it. Don't worry about Grandma, go back to sleepy about it.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Mention like if you go back to Edgewater and even this this could be the whole building could be sprinkled. But you know, what they don't sprinkles. Yeah, it looks like Edgewater where it started. If it starts in a plan, it's got a pretty good head start because it could be running one side to the other before it even shows itself, yep. And you know, the text could be melting as it's gas fed. So until they start sprinkling those dead spaces, which is never gonna happen.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And I think the engineers thought that, you know, the architects thought that, you know, sprinkling the buildings would would be the solution.
Speaker 5: And it certainly is a big.
Speaker 12: Improvement because statistically most of the fires are gonna are gonna be handled by the sprinkle system of its operating correctly and.
Speaker 11: It's in service.
Speaker 12: But this still creates a problem once no matter whether it's the fire burns into these spaces or the fire starts these spaces, it's a huge problem because now it's very hard for any fire department to get ahead.
Speaker 11: Of it, you know, until it just goes to whatever the end of the compartmentation is.
Speaker 12: You know that that that's it until it gets to the fire walls and then and then it's you know, it'll burn until it gets so.
Speaker 8: Hey, cap, what have you had any fires or heard of any fires where the fire reached these these pipes and you know, and then it turned into a gas fed thing.
Speaker 11: Like I don't I don't think they've had anything in this development.
Speaker 12: It's well maintained except for ems runs obviously, so don't even get in there that often. But we we did get a full walk through when it was built, you know, twenty twenty five years ago. But again it's still there. It's still an active you know, it'll sleeping yep, and hopefully nobody has a problem with it, you know, but.
Speaker 8: Thank god, is that something that you guys and you guys are dealing with plastic gas lines?
Speaker 10: Well that was everything that they are running now is plastic. We have natural gas that comes from the city and some six inch pipes they drop them down to.
Speaker 4: The gas lines in the street of plastic.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: To plastic up.
Speaker 5: Were running gas lines like crazy, becuse they're widening roads and doing all that ship.
Speaker 8: And staying like if we had a fire and the fire got in there and it melted that, now you got it. I guess fed fire.
Speaker 4: You know, what about if you're hook in the ceilings.
Speaker 1: And you pull.
Speaker 10: Part of the three sixty is for us the hit utilities, and that's part of it. So if we see gas, whatever it is, everything's getting shut off.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's exactly it.
Speaker 1: If I'm staying, if the fire is going, you're not, You're not. That's not your first Uh.
Speaker 8: You know, you've got three people showing up to fire gases, probably not the Yeah, send two guys down to the basement to take care of the gas.
Speaker 5: Not only is this one the one the driver. We'll be right there, lady. The jet plane over there, We'll get to that in a minute.
Speaker 11: Okay, next one. I just wanted to show what was was out there, at least what I was aware of.
Speaker 12: Yeah, just another development again, man, you could That's exactly what we were doing here. I was tolling the towel at around here with a with a student, you know. And uh and uh, you know, wide open right looks great.
Speaker 5: Not at night.
Speaker 4: You ain't getting close to.
Speaker 12: Every one of those spots. Yeah, every one of those spots is taken at night, you know. Yeah, And this is an interesting set of buildings whereas they have firewalls, Uh, they go up the interior and they are on the under they stop at the underside of the roof boards, and they were they were pretty well installed. But I don't know if anybody has had any experience with fire resistive plywood. They all over the top of these things. They all have five resisted plywood over the over the firewalls. You know what that stuff is like when it gets when it gets old, gets very brittle. You can actually we had one of our guys step through it. My goodness, it didn't go through it. He stepped into it and you know, yeah, and it it wasn't really burning underneath him, you know.
Speaker 11: So that was a long time ago.
Speaker 12: But still, you know, there's all sorts of hazards out there that you you know, I'm sure there's plenty that I don't know about, you know, but there these are the ones that I can pascel on.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Us try to get us.
Speaker 12: Try to move through a few at ease and get through, just keep going. These are all these are all those were old legacy very well, but all right, and this is what we're doing. This is one of my favorite slides because it shows that that gun evolution that we saw early and we talked about, plus flanking the other side or somewhere else with a portable master stream, which is very popular today.
Speaker 11: One or two guys can get this thing into operation.
Speaker 12: It's not like the like years ago, even the Multiversal that they currently use today, or the Stang like we used when we got when I got on a job, I think was a monster. It was a beautiful deck guy, but it was like, you know, it was super heavy. It was like one hundred and something pounds taking.
Speaker 5: It off the rig.
Speaker 10: Say that the blitz fire, Well, the blitz line we haven't purposely set up for that type of quick operation.
Speaker 11: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 12: I wanted one three inch line feeding it and you're and you're flowing five hundred gallons a minute, so that's a significant amount of water. And there's a lot you can do with it. You know, there's a lot of different scenarios and a lot of different building.
Speaker 5: This is a video.
Speaker 12: I couldn't get it to play because I sent this to you as a PDF. But there's a great video.
Speaker 11: This is it online.
Speaker 12: It shows if you if you Google on YouTube, or if you go on YouTube and you search for a fire department deck gun or master stream, this will generally pop up and they knock this fire on the left down in in like thirty seconds with tank water. The hydrants maybe fifty feet away and they get water and then you know, they get they never run out of water. It's a very well timed operation. I think they got lucky. But they also did a very good job, in my opinion, knocking down an impressive amount of fire very fast. You know, so next lie, all right, next one, next one?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 12: Good, same thing in a kind of what we were talking about before. You know, you got an issue when the chiefs got the line.
Speaker 5: With the word you're getting ready to hit the te hidden hard. That looks like you know, I we all we all have the.
Speaker 11: We all talk about these are legacy apartments.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 11: I don't know if they trust or not. I would tend to think maybe not.
Speaker 12: But but anyway, there's a point where you got to make a decision, right whether it's a room and contents fire or a structural fire. And you know, I think this, I would give a shot. You know this is this is definitely what I would take. But you know that we also have we also have a saying that there's no routine fires, which is absolutely true. Right, you can get hurt, but I am going to make a statement which are probably a lot of people will not agree with. If there is a ground ball, a ground ball in fire fighting, this is it.
Speaker 1: Second, three guys that are around with that ladder on the.
Speaker 4: Already already it's all involved.
Speaker 12: Involved is taking that house line and bringing it up a flight of stairs, turning around and putting the front room app toward two rooms, depending on what it is, probably one room, but again one room in whether it's a private dwelling or building like this.
Speaker 11: And you're there in a timely.
Speaker 12: Fish and that should be a pretty if you if your department is going to struggle with this, you've got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 11: You know, this should be pretty forward.
Speaker 4: You know that coral springs.
Speaker 12: That's actually get in there. They're addressing the exposure. They got portable ladders going up, and they got the first hand line ready to go.
Speaker 11: I don't know what happens after this. I mean, this is all I have. This is very in my opinion, this is very managing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, mister George, how much did you pay for the new guy? No?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Too much?
Speaker 5: San Francisco.
Speaker 6: I'm guessing you should be thinking about a lot of class lat of placement and a ladder throwing that's putting the line.
Speaker 12: We do that, yep, yeah, no, absolutely, I mean as far as you know the technique and all that, I'm kind of like not going there on that last.
Speaker 10: Picture for the aerial guys watching which way you're rolling in with the rig to get a good set up. Let's think about that. Yeah, yeah, I mean because of the hills, I'm going by the incline.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, yeah. How about how about throwing portable at us on that you know, I mean they were what they do out west on US in San Francisco is they have a wedge or it's almost like a little mini step shock.
Speaker 4: Right at bottom.
Speaker 12: I ended a training by an officer from San Francisco many years ago, and he was talking about that. It was very informative because in my area we don't have much of that, and even in New York certain areas have quite a bit of it.
Speaker 5: But a lot of areas.
Speaker 12: You throw a ladder it's pretty much on close to the level ground. But they're areas of the country that is a big that every Fiday.
Speaker 8: God is like that, you know that would yeah, yeah, it's already tough doing that going up three flights or something.
Speaker 4: You know, like some comes comes by kicks the chock out.
Speaker 1: That guy. It's always going to be that guy.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, I just want to be clear.
Speaker 12: I don't I'm not advocating. I don't like seeing deck guns and towel ladders you know, used on private dwellings. You know, I mean, I think you know you've declared it a loss before you even started. But there are times, like we just mentioned, that should not be the routine. You know, the routine should be, as we said in the first slide, is a properly placed hand line, you know, generally through the front door, and that's how we're going to handle the majority. But occasionally you get these structures and they're larger in a private dwelling.
Speaker 5: You know that that.
Speaker 12: Require different tactics. And again that's why we have a toolbox, you know. That's why we have all these tactics and all this equipment. You know, and you're going to know when to use what.
Speaker 5: You know, so master streams which we have right so just yeah, you keep going.
Speaker 12: Uh yeah, just uh, just you got to get out and practice with this stuff, like the guys were talking earlier.
Speaker 14: Uh and and just know how to be proficient, you know, so like this is going to bother me.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's why I put it.
Speaker 4: Really, this is truly fifteen guys on the roof, it would be worse.
Speaker 5: That would be the only thing that.
Speaker 1: Could be worse.
Speaker 8: The roof, six guys on the roof and a guy with a master stream in the parking lot.
Speaker 4: Twenty feet away too, in the lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's just he's actually simulating rain.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the roof is going to do exactly what it was designed to do. Is I think Chief Done said, you know.
Speaker 11: It's going to keep the water out except that that's great.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but that's again I put that picture in there just for conversation that you know, we discussing, and it's it's it's one of those things where different things happen in different areas of the country, even within the same deplotment, even within the same company. We've all rolled out without the A team, We've all rolled out, you know, with the B or the C team, and uh, you know, things are pretty Every company I know has had a bad day, everyone absolutely so. But you want to try to eliminate, you know, eliminate the possibility of that as much as possible. You want to have try to try to have your people trained as much as possible. I mean, you know, and I think like when you see things, you know, getting not to get off the subject, but you see things like in New York where a prob makes a roof rope rescue, you're training your guys pretty good.
Speaker 1: If somebody will do that.
Speaker 11: Somebody can come out of proby school and make a roof rope rescue, you're doing.
Speaker 4: Something that was a nice look for the FDNY man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so again again same thing.
Speaker 12: You know, poort infrom the outside, but in this case, this is an extensive fire. But again, you know, I think ideally we want to be in there with a hand line. You can't tell enough from picture like this as to what's going on, how long it took, what the resources were on scene. But again, you know, generally, if we can, we want to do an aggressive interior attack and then once we go to go to a defense of operation, you want to do kind of what you see these guys here doing is protecting the exposure and basically we've given up the fire building at that point.
Speaker 1: Basically, Yeah, Procaccini said he rolled out with the Z team.
Speaker 4: Is he the leader of the team.
Speaker 1: Way they were thinking.
Speaker 5: I know, in other areas of.
Speaker 12: The country, right, it's a shift B, shift C shift, and there's always an one of them is always screwing up as something you.
Speaker 11: Know it's and the other guys are always yeah, but again what a structure.
Speaker 12: But for going back, you know, generally we want to try to at least in my opinion, try to try to make an aggressive interior attack when it's warranted, when it's needed. But again, there are going to be times where you got to go to big water where we've got to go defensive or we got to get and this is this is a training issue. Also is being able to use your equipment. You know, we don't flow water as missed know, we don't flow master streams very often. And uh, I've seen where departments have you know, not been too quick to get it to get water out of the end of I think there's a bunch of online you know, there's there's.
Speaker 4: One amazing way you can find online. Actually it's not good amazing that guys actually post some of the ship that they I know.
Speaker 5: I know what kills me with some of the masters streams, especially with the aerial devices is that's fully extended as high as up they can get it, not even anywhere close near the fire. So by the time it gets to the fire, it's broken.
Speaker 11: And you know, I don't understand that. It's not really that hard.
Speaker 5: But the thing in the window as close as you can, man, come on.
Speaker 11: Exactly, but it is what it is. But like I said that on the.
Speaker 4: Very expensive.
Speaker 12: But again, you know, limited access, you got to take the spot that you can get. Be aggressive, you know, like Louis you had great Chauffas in one O three, one of the best companies I ever saw far as uh as far as getting an aggressive position, getting a spot where you go, wow, I can't believe they got that there, you know, and I mean all of the companies that I worked in, as far as a lot of companies the Chauffas were all.
Speaker 11: So that doesn't happen sitting in the sitting in the barcle lounge.
Speaker 12: All right, you got to get out, you got you gotta spot your rigs, you gotta get off, you gotta set them up, and you got to do it repetitively, over and over again, so you get very comfortable and very proficient and.
Speaker 11: Yeah, exactly, and you gotta know.
Speaker 12: I mean, you see some guys put these things into spots and you go, wow, how the heck did he get it?
Speaker 8: There was a job up in the Bronx when they lost all those people, right, we were talking about some of those guys back.
Speaker 1: Incredible spots right that you.
Speaker 11: Normally don't see guys do with a re amount. But when you're trying to maximize the height, if you the closer you can get the turntable to the building, the higher it's I remember, I remember, but Dennis Conway one day with one eleven so it's only a seventy five foot ladder and a project we used to go to, not a high low project, but it was like seven eight.
Speaker 1: Story, yeah, eight stories.
Speaker 11: He put the thing in the entrance way you could hardly get by to get.
Speaker 12: In and out of the entrance. He put the jack down through the doorway, through the front doorway of the building and set it up and got this guy who was about to jump.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Never would have thought to be.
Speaker 12: I mean, a towerl ladder on the sidewalk directly in front of the entrance, tower jack down through the front door.
Speaker 11: And got this guy.
Speaker 4: That's okat, I heard it.
Speaker 8: I heard a story one O three. We had projects that were like you had to walk down like ten steps. Then there was a little platform and ten steps right into the back of the projects, right, and they had you know, initially the rig was out outside, right, They wouldn't never have the rig there to take the ladders. But they get a report that they'sbody hanging out the window. The chauffeur goes down the steps with the rig, takes out the takes out the railing, which ends up pulling everything out the exhaust from underneath. The truck gets it in position and gets the guy out of the out of the thing, and then but the rig they had to get like a tow truck to get it up out of the But I'm I'm.
Speaker 12: Pretty sure I was at that t I was in rescue too, is that right. We all came out of the building and we were like, Holy ship. I didn't think a cruck.
Speaker 5: Could do that.
Speaker 1: Probably didn't go over well, but uh, you know, you gotta.
Speaker 12: Gut it right up to the building. I mean in a place that I wouldn't even Yeah, but that's got you know, guys that know their stuff know their stuff. I mean, it's as simple as that they're gonna they're gonna be able.
Speaker 5: To pull that off.
Speaker 1: You know that happened tonight.
Speaker 8: If somebody did that with your one of your rigs, what would happen? Like legitly, I'm asking, like you're muted, you're muted.
Speaker 10: Sorry to make a to creating damage to make a rescue or something like that, Yes, but to make a rescue, to make.
Speaker 5: A rescue, I don't think there'd be any problems. You had to do what you had to do.
Speaker 10: But if somebody was carelessly, obviously it's a whole nother story. Just you know, you just did it to do it, then there's a problem.
Speaker 4: Oh then Gonzo takes out the red pen and look at me.
Speaker 5: I'm going I'm looking the other way. I'm like.
Speaker 4: A spray.
Speaker 8: If Steve was catching all that grief because he he told the guy to put the area the aerial through the wind vent the roof the cock lid he was fed, then through the interior to vent cock loof.
Speaker 1: Guys were jumping all over them.
Speaker 4: Oh, they couldn't get to the cock loft for this building. And my brother told the one twenty eight truck, take your aeriel and plunge it through the holes poke some holes in on a cock cloth and they could spray water in it and they put the fire out. But they, oh my god, guys who were up in arms ruined the perfect, perfectly good ladder. Yeah yeah, change over the way. I'm like, you guys kidding me.
Speaker 9: That's customery for you guys, tool bag space.
Speaker 1: He's just saying, Hank, what do you go?
Speaker 5: You say something?
Speaker 4: Make it like before you couldn't let it go. I couldn't let it come, Let it go. We'll go back to it if you have to.
Speaker 6: You know, you know where you don't put a u an area ladder or a towel ladder on the sidewalk, or the outriggers on the sidewalk. Yeah, when you're why, because the sidewalk in the old days had the dead lights to put light down in the basement, you know, so it might be tarred over now with something, but all it is is glass glass, dead lights.
Speaker 4: And if you put your.
Speaker 6: Outrigger or you try to drive on, if you're gonna end up with your your rig leaning into the building.
Speaker 4: And just trapped a little nugget. Hank just dropped a little information, mister George, how much you pay for the for the new guy.
Speaker 11: Too much, too much, and it's a it's another places too.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm just glad that the internet worked there because I'm still here and only half.
Speaker 4: Of what that is. I'm like, it's awfully quiet, man, I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 12: I was gonna I was gonna start sign language, you know what, I should put my hand up every time.
Speaker 6: Then I can't hear you.
Speaker 1: We'll do this area.
Speaker 4: Look, this is the area.
Speaker 1: Wine.
Speaker 6: My internet will be much better when I moved to market.
Speaker 4: Okay, I can't wait to stay over that house.
Speaker 6: Because I tell you tonight, it's been very frustrating because of my internet.
Speaker 4: That's all right, we still love you. We just thought you're a little quiet mood tonight.
Speaker 1: That's all so quiet mood.
Speaker 5: Really really have about I think, uh six slide. I look, well, it's just it's just a.
Speaker 12: It's a good picture of showing the space limitations in a parking lot. Again, think of this if it was at night and everybody's home, right, and you know your apparatus placement, trying to maximize your truck positioning, and then you know getting effective, you know, getting the line stretched, getting the truck placed, getting getting lighters up, you know, all the tasks that we normally have to perform.
Speaker 11: It's a little limited now. It's you know, it can get constrained.
Speaker 12: And that last slide and the same thing was was, uh, you know, you're just gonna have to be able to be flexible in how you get your spots.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 11: So so a good chauffeur and gold always has been, always has been.
Speaker 4: Unsung here on. I mean you get the guy in there, mad.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, and we all see everybody's got some like this right where there is no spot. You know, it's either putting on the long beach.
Speaker 4: It or or.
Speaker 1: Or and you know that's going to happen.
Speaker 12: You know, you know if I if I did that, you know what would be right under the rig would be like a sump or something.
Speaker 4: Ship beach it.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's a good one shirt.
Speaker 5: That's a good shirt.
Speaker 12: As my friend Bobby Graby used to say Jethrow from two fourteen.
Speaker 5: The knob is the job.
Speaker 11: That's it.
Speaker 5: The knob is the job that sounds like another shirt.
Speaker 4: You gotta have the knob. You gotta be working that day.
Speaker 5: You gotta do. If you do that, you got to put his name on a Jethrow.
Speaker 11: That's what Jethro.
Speaker 1: The knob is the job.
Speaker 4: Nob is the job death Row says, the knob is the job exactly.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is a building under construction.
Speaker 12: But again we had you know, Hank Hank talked about a while ago about the hazards of this. And you know we both worked in construction safety fire safety for for a while after we retired. And these buildings are built to burn. And be very careful with these because none of the fire protection systems are in the compartmentation very often isn't complete. Uh and uh they're a lumber yard. You know, there's a ton of fuel. You know, you get a windy night like something like this, forget it.
Speaker 5: You know, you can't.
Speaker 11: You couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Speaker 4: Flagragation. I would say that wrong, but anyway I might. I might not be a brain surgeon. But I think these guys are pointing the road direction the other way.
Speaker 5: Nothing worry about across the street. Now.
Speaker 1: At least they at least they got over there.
Speaker 4: Somebody picked me up.
Speaker 1: At least they got.
Speaker 14: Porta parties in front of case they gotta go.
Speaker 4: It looks like yeah, yeah, they gotta look at who said that.
Speaker 6: Tom.
Speaker 12: Tom Brennan used to have a saying like when things really went bad, we lost the whole block or something.
Speaker 11: He used to say, thank God.
Speaker 5: For streets.
Speaker 12: Because you know they're they're a natural fire break, you know, or or you know what, if we hadn't shown up, if we had never come here, the outcome would have been exactly.
Speaker 1: This is what happened faster, would have happened faster.
Speaker 11: So again, this is occupy. Wow, that sedge water and that I don't I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I get a look back.
Speaker 5: That's a long night.
Speaker 12: That's a couple of that's a couple of names.
Speaker 11: That's that's get relieved, and somebody else comes out.
Speaker 5: Espresso and regular coffee coming up over.
Speaker 11: The where's the Red Cross truck?
Speaker 1: You know exactly?
Speaker 5: And okay, certain, yeah, And.
Speaker 12: That's funny podium building we were talking about before. So just be aware, you know, it's a it's a lumber yard. You know, I'm looking at this one going up.
Speaker 1: And I have one.
Speaker 5: You have them on the residential side too, from you see, just a little both there.
Speaker 6: Just another little nugget could before we get too far away in don't assume that all garden apartments are built on slabs. Because I've had some older garden apartment fires where this they've had a partial basement. You know, there's just there'll be cement stairs going down a little well and there's a door, and it might be a room that's thirty by thirty for you know, where they store everything for the building and maintenance. And we've actually had a fire in there, and you could be you know, they're calling for smoke in the you know, for the first floor apartment on the other side, so you know, you could you could get full thinking, well, you know, there's there's no basement here. You know, if you're getting smoke on that first floor level, it looks like it's coming from the floor. You got to make sure you do a full perimeter search there because you might find a partial basement in some of those older and it could be a new one too. I've only had them in the older ones.
Speaker 4: Me to this, this is an old bit. I've seen this.
Speaker 11: This is from Texas.
Speaker 5: You know, I was gonna play it, but I don't want to get a copywriter because I could pull it up.
Speaker 11: But don't even don't even bother.
Speaker 12: Great great fire, nice job with the fire department getting their aerial into into place.
Speaker 11: This this construction work. I don't know if you see it on the right hand.
Speaker 5: So he's on the right here on the balcony.
Speaker 12: On the balcony, he was on the balcony above and lowered himself down and swung in. You know, he probably could walk. He probably it looks like there's no fire on that floor. He probably could walk to the staircase and walk out of this thing.
Speaker 1: At this point, you know he was.
Speaker 5: He was so panic stricken in the video from the beginning. Can you can you imagine?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And I'm on the swinging underneath you.
Speaker 4: You ain't out when your.
Speaker 5: All of these denis.
Speaker 6: Where were the construction site fire safety managers for this one?
Speaker 11: There is no such thing.
Speaker 4: They don't have texas.
Speaker 5: The only reason, the only.
Speaker 12: Reason we had a job was because of those guys at the doutschebang.
Speaker 6: For us, right, that takes a tragedy, that's right, oh man.
Speaker 5: Darkness of that week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at you. There's a lot of youth going on.
Speaker 4: He was using just for men back then.
Speaker 14: I feel like I'm back in nineteen ninety eight starting all over exactly.
Speaker 4: Good memories that first pictures in front of the rig right, that that's the picture.
Speaker 5: How important they would be looking devils?
Speaker 6: Huh, why aren't you supposed to do a commercial or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got to do it now, I take a whiz.
Speaker 5: And did you want to talk anything about this really quick or no?
Speaker 12: No, no, no, we we discussed it once before. We could spend quite a bit of time on this.
Speaker 5: So it's just astruction.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, this is twenty fourteen. I think the CDC and Niosh came out with and it's it's an eye opener. I think I talked about it before. But the one thing to be aware of is that this legacy construction at the top holds up very well. You can see the collapse times are on the right. But the one that really jumps off the page is this one here, twelve inch wood eye Joyce right, Because for a long time we didn't know how that was going to behave. There had been a lot of non scientific studies LA didn't want. A couple other departments did it and got different numbers, but this is the same you know, methodology for doing the study. But the one to look at really is the wood eye Joyce. Like we looked at before with the penetrations for the plumbing and the they feil a lot quicker than I would have thought, you know, so with nothing protecting them, no sheet rock protecting them, and being exposed to fire as it starts. The number that these guys got was six minutes and three seconds.
Speaker 1: Look at the take holy right, yeah.
Speaker 5: Look at look at just the line below it.
Speaker 12: You say, take the same thing with the ceiling with a gypsum ceiling under it goes up to twenty six and it goes twenty minutes up. So you know, something to be aware of. We have a whole bunch in my town that are new private dwellings.
Speaker 6: That everybody with the OSB is or oriented Yeah, go ahead, it's oriented strandboard. It's basically engineered wood. It's all little wood chips that are glued together. And again when when when they're not under a fire load, it's great and it saves people a lot of money. But once once you put them under a fire load.
Speaker 5: They weaken us.
Speaker 6: Those collapse times.
Speaker 5: The web birds.
Speaker 11: So anyway, but that's that's it, guys. That's a fornight, all right.
Speaker 4: We have to questions before we forget Yeah, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Yes you're welcome.
Speaker 4: Yes we're gonna be the commercial first though in.
Speaker 6: Honor of Hey you sorry about my internet, but you were wonderful line.
Speaker 4: They're looking for the exit.
Speaker 5: You're the whitest you've ever been.
Speaker 4: Roll up commercial.
Speaker 5: All right, here we go from Arma tuff. Do you want to do the whole thing?
Speaker 4: Usual discrestion?
Speaker 2: Okay, need a new floor for your fire station. Choose an Armor Tough interlocking flooring system to cover your aging, stained, cracked concrete or epoxy floor. Armour Tough has been around for nearly twenty years and has proven to be the best choice and renovating your station's floors, covering nearly six hundred floors across the country. Proudly made in America, Armor Tough comes with a lifetime warranty and are usually installed in one or two days, depending on the size of your station, with virtually no disruption in your station's operation. Our system is guaranteed from chipping, cracking, peeling, braking, or staining. The tiles are stained resistant and impervious to chemicals or volatiers that are used in the fire service. Damage one tile, lift and replace without anyone knowing, and once installed, your floor would be easy to clean with just soap and water. Is your current floor slippery? Eliminate the slip with armor tough.
Speaker 5: You asked me what the fristion coefficient?
Speaker 4: Well, here it is.
Speaker 5: Coefficient.
Speaker 4: I'm such an idiot, I really am.
Speaker 6: You'll fly it all right?
Speaker 5: Here we go round two.
Speaker 2: The First Responders Center for Excellence is a not for profit organization dedicated to protecting their lives and livelihoods of first responders. Their education and research initiatives aim to bring greater awareness and understanding the challenges to health, safety, and well being of firefighters, EMS personnel, and other first responders too. They are an affiliate of the National Fallen Firefighter Foundation.
Speaker 4: And here's one of my favorite old school health and safety tips. Physical fitness is critical for ensuring the safety and effectiveness of firefighters. Maintaining your healthy weight is important to prevent obesity related health issues. So workout of gonzo, will you've been crying out loud? Put down the jelly donnut?
Speaker 5: And what was that a little gun?
Speaker 4: All right? So we're gonna go back to two shows eventually. Maybe we'll see what happens a week. We have on Thursday next Thursday?
Speaker 15: Right, if we have the Wallbounds fire, and we have actually a husband and wife who both fought up their fathers passed away at the Wall Bounds fire, and then they met and then they end up getting married.
Speaker 4: We'll have Jay Jonas on and tell the story and they'll tell this story too.
Speaker 1: So yes, that's pretty cool stuff.
Speaker 4: Thanks again, Captain, my captain and senior dude.
Speaker 6: The old school tip of the day.
Speaker 4: Huh. While I'm throwing out telling you guys, what do you have one handy?
Speaker 6: You know I just you know, you know me, I'm just popped into my head, gonce, can we please give it to I don't need the music. You need the music.
Speaker 4: Give them music, not that one.
Speaker 10: We were getting down dirty with that one. Okay, it's time for we go man, the old school. All right, Hey, you want a solo, you.
Speaker 4: Want to bring give it a solo?
Speaker 6: Need a solo.
Speaker 1: We got.
Speaker 6: A lot of times we have tips for all the young firefighters out there. This one is for all you senior dudes that are out there. Since I've retired, I've had the pleasure to visit many different firehouses, mostly along the East Coast, but in other parts of the country. And what I have found is that the young crop firefighters that are out there are just as good and enthusiastic as when we were the young bucks on the job. There's sponges they want to learn. There's unfortunately, unfortunately but unfortunately, there's not as much fire duty out there as they used to be, but there's still plenty of fires. And all it takes is want to kill you. So as us senior men, I take it as a great responsibility these young firefighters are. They're just itching to hear your experience and your stories, as you know, as long as there's teaching points in there, and you know, we have to take that seriously. You know, even you're retired whatever, visit your local firehouse. You'll be surprised they want you know, they'll they'll welcome you with open arms and don't be afraid to make friends with them. And they're they're going to want to hear your stories and and how you did things and tact and and then in turn they'll get to speak to you a little bit about maybe the difference in the masks and stuff. The key is we're talking about the job and putting the phones down and getting like I said, get into.
Speaker 4: The job, not on the job and that's it.
Speaker 6: They're safe.
Speaker 4: Hey, Roofie, how lucky are we to have this guy is our captain and this senior man but blessed and now we get to have him on the.
Speaker 6: Show too with the shitty internet.
Speaker 4: But whatever, Well that's on you, bro. I can't help you.
Speaker 6: I'm still waiting for the check from getting salty to get my good stuff. But I don't worry. I got to taken care of that second one, didn't you What are you kidding?
Speaker 4: I'm not kidding you. I'm telling this off. I don't need tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I have to apologize to everybody, even especially Dennis, because you know he's usually I'm his wingman when we do these, I'm like the color commentator, and tonight it was I would hear the first two lines of his whatever he said, the first two words, and then the last two, and I'm like, you see it in my face. I'm sitting there like, what did he just say?
Speaker 4: I thought he was just getting close to your bedtime you get a little cranky something.
Speaker 6: But there's always it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 4: So we'll have you out again and again.
Speaker 6: And get the new internet when I moved. But I'm not going through this again.
Speaker 8: I ain't going through this stuff anymore. All right, Cap, thank you again very much, appreciate your time. Yes, seeing your dude, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: I love a pleasure to the chief. He turned from He can take you from jack asconto the serious chief. Conso I tried.
Speaker 1: You mean you mean hit it hard from the yard?
Speaker 4: You mean, oh that guy right right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Almost put almost put seeing your dude out, You won't an aneurysm.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Laugh, girls, Freeze will put the fire right and mud alawn in your backyard at the same time.
Speaker 5: Well, that's for sure. Talking in the bed at nights, alright to you.
Speaker 6: We'll see your Thursday, cap, alright, by night, everybody, stay safe and go.
Speaker 5: That's alright, guys, good night. In addition to rolling heavy all the way, what no, we're gonna say, what was that one?
Speaker 4: Federal Q all the way, federal cue all the way, I'm gonna have to make one up for him by.
Speaker 1: Hard from the yard.
Speaker 5: That's what I don't like that that's been around too long.
Speaker 1: That can't be mine.
Speaker 5: Alright, alright, guys, goo