Speaker 1: It's NIC's Eyes.
Speaker 2: Undoing you easy, Boston's News Radio Madison, Thank you so much. I'm back, ladies and gentlemen. I am back big show tonight. And I was thinking, last night, you know, we talked about the Dumuz situation, and that's a heavy topic because we're dealing with family drama, we're dealing.
Speaker 1: With jobs, you know.
Speaker 2: And then also, of course we were talking about murder trials. And then I thought, tonight's going to be a little lighter tonight. We're gonna have some fun, right, We're gonna lighten things up. We're gonna talk to Dan Shaughnessy the Boston Globe about the Celtics and how things went this year, and remind everybody that the Celtics in the eighties they went three championships, but never back to back and how hard that used to do, and that if you haven't read Dan's book, I wish it lasted forever, you should check it out. We are going to talk to mag Dooley from Sudbury, Massachusetts, which just won a national title with the Cornell man's lacrosse team. And it's not when you're not just talking lax bro, We're talking about how to raise a student athlete, which I think parents me being one of.
Speaker 1: Them, we make a lot of mistakes.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to say Matt's parents Bob and Amy Dooley, are perfect, but they're pretty damn close.
Speaker 1: Well, Amy is Bob. I don't want to give.
Speaker 2: I don't want Bob Dules to get us well head also working remotely, Todd Fernard is going to join us from our properties.
Speaker 1: It's kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: There's like Amazon that says I need you here five days a week, and Google says, no, you can be here three out of five. So how is how is that going in the workplace? Because we thought everybody would go back to work after COVID and now some people are saying I need a mix and does it work? And why does it work for some and not for others? The freak from the left coast, the kid the moderate, which means he's a reactionary in Hollywood. Sam Methler joins us at ten o'clock to talk everything Trump and politics. And if you're up at eleven o'clock tonight, Sam's a great take because he just blash everybody, Democrats, Republicans, independence, He just lets everybody have it. But we are starting off now with one of my favorite people, Cooper Lawrence are joining us CBS Entertainment reporter Cooper.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us here on Night Side always.
Speaker 3: And you know, usually when I come here, I like to try to bring you something that nobody has ever heard before. You know, I can come here and just like tell you what's on TMZ, but you can go look at that yourself. I try to bring you something that you don't know, that you've never heard, that is unique, that's just for you and your audience. And I think I've succeeded tonight.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt she's going to succeed with that tonight, and that is a major market teece by Cooper. And what I find so funny is when I asked Cooper to cab on, I don't know, a week or two ago, when I knew I was filling for Dan, I said, you know, we're gonna be light because there's some heavy stuff going on in Boston, right So I said, tonight we're going to start things off. We're going to talk about entertainment and what are we doing. We're talking about Diddy Combs in court, We're talking about you Jackman divorce. We're talking about drama with the Beckham family and that's right, and Blake and Taylor Swift, right, So we're just picking up where we left off last night.
Speaker 1: More drama.
Speaker 2: But would you have and I find this fascinating some new information regarding Kanye West, who has this song out Kyle Hitler which is intersemitic and just insane. And we're really going to get into this topic. But what can you tell us that you have that has not been unearthed yet?
Speaker 3: Well, fortunately for you guys, I am actually very close with Kanye's attorneys and I love them. They're fabulous and they are always willing to dish, not anything that they're not allowed to say they'd be sued for. But they have not just told me everything about Kanye, but they gave me a document that they filed in a California court. And are we going right into it now because I want to read a piece of it to you. Absolutely let it rip, okay, all right? So they Kanye is being sued by a former employee over some of this anti semitic rhetoric that he has been saying, and some of it is stuff that she claims to be texted to her and that she suddenly is claiming now that she's also Jewish, so it's even more offensive. Their argument is, basically, in a nutshell, all this stuff about anti Semitism is an act. It's all an act. It's all to draw attention. It's the opposite of what you're thinking. And the fact that his fans and people around him aren't getting the joke and aren't understanding that he is basically lamb basing people that are anti Semitic in the same way that people would be saying the same thing about, you know, being African American, for example. He's digging into that the way he talks about slavery, he's now talking that way about being Jewish and anti Semitic and all that sort of thing. So he is basically saying, here's here's part of the document that they submitted. They are claiming he is a cultural icon, a twenty four time Grammy winning artist, fashion pioneer, polymath music, design, film theology, performance art, civil rights advocate. He is not merely a creator. He is art. That's their argument that all of this is performance art. Everything that he's been saying, all this rhetoric is just performance art, and if you don't get that that's not his problem, you buy it. You know, their arguments pretty good. They go on and talk about how his let me just read you this one more thing, thought it was very interesting. He's they're saying that he's performative invocation of Nazim and Jewish tropes is no different than boundary pushing humor of people like mel Brooks, Charlie Chaplin, Larry David, Ricky Gervais.
Speaker 1: Oh that's crazy.
Speaker 3: They're basically yeah, well, they're basically saying that mel Brooks can say it. He says anti he says things that could be perceived anti semitic by somebody who's not Jewish, but because mel Brooks says it, it's okay, the same way Kanye talks about slavery because he's black, so he can say it. So that's the gist of the argument here is that this is all an artistic endeavor. Kanye has since apologized, But the question is is he apologizing because people are not getting his art, or because he's not making the kind of money he was making and he's realizing that he's just too hated.
Speaker 2: I don't buy it. I'm just not buying it. Yeah, yeah, I'm not buying it. I think that it's very it's a very creative defense. I have to give his defense team credit. I think it's a very creative spin because that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm thinking, have you ever seen a movie Liberty Heights?
Speaker 3: No, what movie is that?
Speaker 1: It's Barry Levinson's. It came out.
Speaker 2: It came out just after Diner, right, and it's about Barry Lovelyicly he and his friends growing up in Baltimore and they were Jewish and dealing with an anti Semitic pool club and so forth. And in one of the scenes, Joe Montagna plays the father and he's a bookie and the son from Halloween comes out dressed as Hitler.
Speaker 1: Right, So again the family is Jewish.
Speaker 2: And now I'm I'm not Jewish, but my wife is Jewish and my kids are Jewish. So I mean, I'm I'm I'm an equal opportunity guy. Man, I'm like, whatever works, right, listen. I can write a check to a temple, I can write a check to a Catholic church.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter to me.
Speaker 2: Whatever gives you, I mean, in all sincerity, whatever gives you peace. I think that you that's the thing. But so and obviously Joe Montagna, who's playing a Jewish father, is like out of his mind, like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So it's comedic, and it's Barry Levinson who's Jewish, who documented his Jewish life growing up in Baltimore, and it's a and I think it's a very popular movie in that regard. I don't remember anybody saying that that was offensive. If Kanye West comes out dressed as Hitler, that's a problem. Now if Barry Levinson runs a scene that is racist or comes out having a I mean, you know, I don't know how to term this without being but if Barry Levitton comes out with a whip like Bobby knight right and he's an African American and says, oh, it's to start, that's a problem.
Speaker 3: So, but the point that Kanye is making, and I'm not I'm not just sending him, I'm just giving you there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I know you're not. I get it.
Speaker 3: The point, the point they're making is that if Barry Levinson does it, it's considered racist and that's shocking and it's upsetting. That's what Kanye is saying here. He's basically saying that he's the things he's saying about Jews is the same things that other people are saying about black people, and slavery and Nazism is the same thing as slavery. So he's making the parallel there, and it's I think it's somewhere in between. I don't think it's fin And I also don't think that. Do I think Kanye is antisemitic? Now, of course I don't. I don't think he's an anti Semite. I think he's somebody that is a lightning rod and likes to get attention. Whether it's the height of narcissism, whether he's just trying to draw attention to himself to be provocative because he wants to sell music, so whatever his motivation, I think he went too far, Yes, But I think people don't understand that he's trying to make the correlation between He's talking about Judaism the same way people talk about slavery, and he's trying to make that point that you should be you should be shocked, you should be upset, and he's drawing attention to that feeling of being outraged.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I think of Kanye coming to actually we get a lot more to talk about here. New information with Cooper Lawrence from CBS Entertainment regarding Kanye West, his his defense team or his public defense team, if you will, regarding his release of Yle Hitler.
Speaker 1: More coming up on WBZ Nightside right after this.
Speaker 2: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on wb Z Boston's News Radio. Welcome back to Nightside, Gary Tankway for Dan Tonight. Cooper Lawrence with us from CBS Entertainment. We're talking about Kanye West and now how his PR team is. People have come out and said that he is not anti Semitic, and the song Kyle Hitler was actually to prove a point to show that he was. He's an artist and he's shocking people. I don't buy it. Cooper's just reporting the facts, you know, Cooper. When this first came out and they talked about, you know, Kanye being anti Semitic and for that matter, Kyrie Irving, I was just looking up how he was suspended from the NBA for five times for some comments that he made that he said, we're not anti semitic and we're not taking correctly and so forth. I just didn't understand it because in Boston and you may not be aware of this. Bill Russell and Read our Back were brothers. I mean they were brothers. And the connection was when Bill Russell came to play for the Celtics, he dealt with racism as an African American man, as did Red our Back as a Jewish American. So they had this common bond. And I do know in Boston that there were of a lot of Jewish families that, because of our Back, connected with the Celtics, connected with African Americans, and there was sort of a bond because they both had this battle of anti Semitism and racism. So when Kanye came out with it, I'm like, the whole thing just didn't make sense to me. And then when Kyrie and Kyrie sometimes just says things without even thinking, I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: You know, but you know, not an artist, Kyrie Irving is not known as an artist. He's not known as somebody who is out there to be provocative in order to make money and to get his art out there. He's a basketball player.
Speaker 1: Basketball right, Yeah, it's basketball right correct?
Speaker 3: Okay, just check it. You know you know me, you know me and sportsball? Uh you know, he's, yeah, he put put this there. Put he's he's going to put this ball in that net or wherever you put a ball in basketball. But the idea is, you know, Kanye, let me read you one more thing. So this is this is on his PR team. These are his lawyers. This is this is a motion that was filed in California court. This is to me, this is shocking that they're saying this.
Speaker 1: That they're why do they have to why do they have to go to court with this?
Speaker 3: Oh no, because he's being sued by a former employee who claims that he's that these anti Semitic things that he texted her or said around the office or whatever are offensive to her. And she's she's a sued for wrongful termination. She was hired to do a job. When she got there, she wouldn't do the job she was hired to do, and they gave her many many chances and finally fired her. And now she's turning around saying that, you know, he's an anti Semite and he treated me terribly while I was there. No, he to do a specific job. You refuse to do that job, That's why you were fired. So this is they're saying that it's retaliatory, but there's a line in here in this motion that I think is interesting. Ye by any measure, is one of the most influential artistic figures of his generation. He is internationally acclaimed whose life and work blur the lines between daily existence and artistic performance. His music, fashion presence, tapestry of artistic provocation, challenges societal societal norms, and confronts cultural taboos. That's their argument. They're saying that he is literally trying to be provocative, that we're at a point right now in our society where I mean, what was that, sudd You were genuinely shocked, you know what I mean, Like things happen all the time. You're like, wow, that's really terrible. You shocked, Nath. You know, things happened between social media and the crazy news going on and I'm mind talking politics, just weird things that are just happening in the world. It's really hard to shock. I mean, you're an artist trying to get attention and trying to do the next creative thing. You know, Madonna did it for so long. She kept trying to shock her fans and shock the world by changing up her look and her narrative and doing something provocative. But she leaned into the sexual aspect of things. Kanye's doing the same thing. He's just leaning into the social the the taboos, the things that we should not be talking about.
Speaker 2: But when Madonna did it, it was herself, it was her body. It wasn't a race or an ethnicity.
Speaker 3: That's true, you know.
Speaker 2: So I remember when Kanye was on Jimmy Kimball and he sat with Trump. Remember he went to see Trump at the White House, and Kanye's sitting there talking to Trump and Trump is.
Speaker 1: Like lost, He's like, what is this dude doing here? What is going on? Right?
Speaker 2: And Kanye is like trying to I just went I mean that conversation, Oh my god. I wish I could have been in that room. And then Kimo said, why would you support Trump? And you know, Kanye didn't have an answer. I think what happens to Kanye is, yes, he does want to shock, he does want to remain in the headlines.
Speaker 1: And the twenty four Grammy Awards are not enough. Now.
Speaker 2: I'm not a big music I mean, I'm an okay music guy. I'm not an aficionado. But I did see Kanye at the super Bowl along with Rihanna, and I can honestly say it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. And I don't really know a lot about both artists. I know they're extremely talented, they're extremely gifted, and the guy's probably a genius. Now, when you're at that level, you're also bordering on insanity.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not. I mean it's true.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you talk about the great the great artists of our time, you know, whether it's you know, cutting off your ear or you know, I need to take a nap to come up with the theory of relativity, they're on a different level than us.
Speaker 1: And I believe he is right.
Speaker 3: There's definitely mental illness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I believe he is because his music.
Speaker 2: You can't dispute the success of his music and the quality of his music.
Speaker 1: You just can't. Oh sure, Yeah, there's no doubt. But there's something that happens.
Speaker 3: I was I was a big fan for a long time, and when this whole thing came out, I was so upset by it. I deleted all the music. I deleted everything, and I thought, you know what, after reading this and after thinking, you know, there's still songs from way back when that I like, and I've sort of slowly been introducing them back in my playlist and I don't feel bad about it. And that's is you're coming. You're talking to somebody who was you know, my father is Jewish, so I grew up you know, with Jewish culture as well, so it's not like it's foreign to me. But yeah, you know, it's I do think you think.
Speaker 2: I do think that because we know so much about people and artists and we know their flaws, which we never did before.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, let's face at the stars of the thirty forties and fifties, every you know, everything was hush gosh, no one knew what was going on in the back room.
Speaker 3: They hired a publicist to deny things. You couldn't learn things about them. Now they hire a publicist to promote things about themselves.
Speaker 2: Right, right, But but right, so, you know, I think that you need to separate what and you need to separate the flaws with the artists. In other words, yeah, you know, if there's well, I don't know about Chris Brown.
Speaker 1: I mean, he beats women. I can't I can't handle that.
Speaker 3: But but if he still has fans, he still has and by him. Did you see that the prison where they're keeping him, did you see the Yeah, women are applying for a job as guards there. There's an opening for a guard and they're getting thousands of women sending videos begging for that job. I'll work for free.
Speaker 2: It's insane that that's crazy. I mean, it's just insane. But you know, you can separate the artist and the art. You could separate the art and the artist. I think it's okay to do that. You know, you could separate that. Like you could sit there and you say, because you know, I've heard Kanye stuff and it's good, you know, and then you go, do I not listen to it because of these anti Semitic remarks? And I mean, you know, I think that's up to an individual's choice. Now, what do I think is happening here? I think that people at that level are so accustomed to fame they do anything they can to hang on to it. He's got twenty four Grammy Awards, He's considered a musical genius. He's considered a fashion genius. What would the sneakers? My kids had them what they call them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeezys.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was like, what what youse. I mean people loved them, they were like the thing. Yeah, and I think with Kanye that wasn't enough, you know, so maybe his star was fading a little bit.
Speaker 1: I've got to come up with something else.
Speaker 3: More than Kim Kardashian didn't help either. I mean, she's a billionaire and she's one of the most famous women on the planet, and not being associated with her anymore I think was definitely damaging.
Speaker 2: For her right and he can't handle it. So he is grasping at straws. So when he produces something like this Heyle Hitler, which is an antisemitic song, I think he's so desperate for attention he's putting it out there, and then when the backlash is so bad, this is the spin.
Speaker 1: That's what I think.
Speaker 3: Part of my side I see, because that has been my argument this whole conversation.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think, well, that doesn't that doesn't justify it. I mean, that doesn't judst to me. That's like, do I believe that Kanye. I think he's, yeah, he's so desperate for attention that he put this out there.
Speaker 1: But it's also it's almost to me Cooper, it's.
Speaker 2: As bad because he has no regard for he has no regard for the Jewish race because he wants to benefit from from the publicity of it. Like he has no regard for people's feelings because you wants to be popular, because he wants to be shocking. Is anti semitic? Like there's just a difference. You know, you could take things too far. You know, you can.
Speaker 3: Literally the consequences the consequences here, you're right, because the problem is he's saying the stuff to his fans who don't understand that a lot of the things that he's saying are supposed to be art. They're taking it like, oh, okay, so we have to be we could be out there hating Jews. Thank you, like, thank you for normalizing this for us.
Speaker 2: Well, right, okay, thank you that that's very good. Thank you for putting it. You put it much better than I did. But he can say it's art, but it's damaging art. It's damaging. It's it's it is damaging.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's note.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'm a free speech girl. This is a First Amendment thing, and I feel like you can disagree with it. And that's that's the argument they make. I mean, they make there's a whole other section in this motion that is just about the First Amendment and freedom of speech and you know, hate speech, and that's sort of that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I agree, I agree with you on that. Of course, that's why they're KKK. That's why the Ku Klux Klan can march. I mean you have to, that would be I don't think anybody in America would say you can't allow Kanye to say this.
Speaker 1: Of course not. You have to.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's what our country is built on. But he's coming out now. I mean also also think about why he's coming out. He's coming out because somebody's suing them. I mean, would he be saying this now if he wasn't getting sued by somebody for sexual harassment or for wrongful termination?
Speaker 3: Right? I mean the apology, the timing of the apology is a little suspect. I agree with you, because he did come out and apologize and said he basically said that, you know for everyone that he said, I am I love all people, I am done with anti Semitism, and then went on about God for about four or five sentences.
Speaker 2: But I have heard yeah, but I have heard his religious what's the religious ceremony he has that he did it in Northern California.
Speaker 1: I forgot what.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he does Sunday mornings whatever it is. Yeah, Sunday service.
Speaker 2: May not be my thing, but I have heard and read people say it's amazing, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: That's where the conflict lies. This is where the conflict lies. That there's a side of him that is very loving and peaceful and cares about God and cares about people and is very relatable. And then there's this other side to him where he's trying to be provocative and he's doing it at the expense of somebody else's pain.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes, I want to get into this wrongful termination think because I have a question about that.
Speaker 1: We're going to continue to talk about this. We're gonna get into p Diddy.
Speaker 2: Cooper Lawrence CBVIUS Entertainment had some breaking some new information regarding Kanye West in his situation. More coming up with Cooper right after this on WBC's Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Back here with Cooper Lawrence from CBS Entertainment getting into the juicy stuff. Here some breaking news regarding Kanye West and an employee who is suing him from wrong, wrongful termination. And so he has come out and he has said that his anti semi ways and his high Hitler song was all part of a plan to raise awareness and he is actually not anti Semitic, and it was to be controversial.
Speaker 1: I think I have that all right. Art it's art.
Speaker 3: He is art. It is art. We're just too stupid to realize it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, sure, well there are times when art this doesn't work, and you and I both agree it's you have the first Amendment, you can do whatever you want. But I think he's backpedaling because I think this has done a lot of damage to him now. But I want to get why not settle with the employee? Like she says, okay, wrongful termination? Why not just pay her off.
Speaker 3: Because that's what she wants. She so she basically they are claiming in this in this document, this motion, they're claiming that she basically set all this up in order to get a big payout. She's doing this for money, and they're not going to be extorted like that. They're not going to allow that she was It's not wrong full termination. She was terminated for very good reasons and he's not going to pay her. She came there, did not do the job that she was hired to do, and now she wants him to pay her. No, he's not gonna It doesn't matter how much money he has. She's wrong and he's not going to be blackmailed.
Speaker 2: Now you may have mentioned this before, but do you know the details of what he is a legend she did.
Speaker 1: To set this up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do, and you know I do, which is why I always bring everything to you. Okay, So this is very interesting. She she is a well known publicist. He hired her as a publicist because he was working on a couple of different projects. One of them is called his easy Porn Project. We don't know what it is exactly. Again, what it's called the easy Porn project. That is one of the things that she was hired to work on. Well, I don't know what it is. It could just again, something else provocative. He's throw the word porn in something and you know, maybe they're teddy bears and he just he's calling them porn bear. Who knows just the idea of the word porn, you know. So she knew who she was getting in bed with. She knew that she was being hired by Kanye West, who was a very provocative person who does crazy stuff, who's been accused of all kinds of mental illness and whatever, and she refused to promote certain things that she was hired to promote. Now, you're not doing this as a favor. You are an in house publicist and you are hired to promote whatever it is that artist is asking you to promote for them. You do not get a say in the artistic expression here. So she refused to do a bunch of the things that she was hired to do, and she was given lots and lots of opportunities, and she had some bizarre behavior on her own. There are employees that came forward that claimed that she suddenly started speaking in you know, like ebonic you know, she started using very like she started speaking in a very African American hip hoppy kind of way, which is not the way she spoke, and a lot of people felt offended by that. She also had different wigs that she would come in in different days and she would call them her characters. So they realized very quickly that she was really there to promote herself. She wasn't there. I mean she's a pr person for herself, so that became a problem. And when they said to her, listen, we like you, we want you to work here. We don't want you to cause problems. Can you stop with the crazy stuff and just do your job? She refused, and they gave her lots of chances, and then finally she set up a project where she could make money, not Kanye, and they said that's it, we can't take anymore, and they terminated her. And now she's saying, oh, well, I'm Jewish and he said Nazi to me many times, so it seems retaliatory on her part, and they are refusing to pay her this low ar to payout that you want.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then she forces his hand to come out and say that this was all art and he's not really anti Semitic, and it was artistic expression.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: It sounds like they make great bedfellows because they're both insane.
Speaker 3: That's you know. I got to say, if you're somebody like Kanye, you can't hire normal people to work for you. It's not gonna work. You can't do that. You got to have people as out there as you. But the problem is when you get people as out there as you are, you know, you have to deal with their problems as well and their craziness as well. So I think it's it's I think it's not easy to be in the public eye in general, a celebrity of any kind. But I think Kanye makes things hard for himself because he sets these standards so high that he has to be better than everybody else, make the most money, be the craziest, you know.
Speaker 2: So do you think so the theory is I'm not saying this is what you think, but I mean the theory is he's not anti Semitic. He was doing to publicity. What about the Trump had what about being pro Trump? Was he doing that for publicity too? Or is he really a Trump supporter?
Speaker 3: What's interesting about that? And I'm gonna plug my book for a second Celebritocracy. But in my book Celebritocracy, I did a lot of interviews with people who worked in and around Kim Kardashian and Kanye West when she was getting very involved with all of her prisoner released stuff and her advocate advocate work that she was doing for prisoners wrongfully convicted, and they turned to Trump to help them. He was president at the time, and he was very involved and he actually helped her get people released that should not be wrong wrongfully convicted, or that did minor things that had these crazy sentences that didn't you know, didn't fit the crime. So I think his relationship and friendship with Trump had more to do with his wife's advocacy and her work as a at the time potential lawyer. You know, now she's passed the bar, so she's officially a lawyer, But at the time, I think, you know that that's where the friendship originated. And I think he realized Trump is such a lightning rod he needed to align himself with somebody else who was getting that kind of attention. So I think he likes to be in the public eye. And who's in the public eye President Trump.
Speaker 2: Well, and Trump is very good at getting people out of jail, as we know lately. I mean, that seems to be his thing. I mean, if you if you support him, he'll pardon anybody, you know. I mean, that's the way it goes with Trump. Ted Bundy, Yeah, okay, Trump support, There you go, kid.
Speaker 1: You're out.
Speaker 2: It's a little that, it's a little nuts, but that's a very good point. Cooper and that's that's inside film. Now that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Side Buld, what do you think of her passing the bar. I mean a lot of.
Speaker 2: People thought that this was just some publicity stunt or just some fad, but it's she's legit.
Speaker 3: You know. I think her relationship with Van Jones is very interesting. I think once she she worked for his law firm, so she didn't go to law school. She did, she passed, she took the baby bar. I guess that the other way you could become a lawyer in California is if you do enough work under the auspices of the of the right law firm, which is what she did. And she got very close with Van Jones, and I think he really helped her to do more than just this will be fun, and really take it seriously, you know, and really take her advocacy works seriously. You know. I had the same experience, Not that I'm comparing myself to Kitmgardashian, but I remember when I was working at Z one hundred in New York, and I remember little girls would come in dressed very provocatively, very young girl twelve thirteen years old, dressed very provocatively, and I was worried that they didn't really understand what message that was sending, and I started writing about it for a Cosmo Girl. At the time, I realized, you know, just some idiot on the radio writing wasn't really gonna do much. Let me go get a PhD, which I did. I got a PhD in psychology so that I could actually write things that could help change help parents, help parenting, help kids, help them understand, you know, a deeper understanding of what they're going through, what their experiences, and how pop culture is influencing their self esteem, their behaviors, their decision making. So I think that's sort of what's going on here with Kim Kardashian. She really wants to do good things for the world, but not as just a celebrities could write a check. She wants to get in there and do the dirty work. I mean, she's in her forties now, she can't how much longer could she show us her butt? You know what I mean? She's got to do something more serious as she gets older.
Speaker 1: Well, it's admirable.
Speaker 2: And if she can do it, because listen, when you're in your forties, going to law school for three years doesn't really sound that appealing. I mean, and if you could do it in a way where you can get into the trenches right away. And let's face it, I mean, if she's trying to do some good, she's got the platform, she's got it.
Speaker 3: And that's the whole thing exactly. You know, there's only two ways celebrities can help. They could lend their name and that way the charity now has their name attached to it. Or they can write a check. That's all they have. Write a check or lend your name to something. She found a third way, you know, actually be a celebrity, but actually get a degree. That could that you could help, not just write a check, not just lend your name, you could actually be there in the trenches doing good for the world.
Speaker 2: Did she say that that has something to do with her dad, because obviously he was a lawyer.
Speaker 1: I mean that must have yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's that's that is her icon, that is her mentor that is somebody she was. She was definitely a daddy's girl, more so than the other than the other children.
Speaker 2: So doctor Cooper Lawrence, which is the way we should have been introducing you all along.
Speaker 3: Now I don't use that enough. I'm going to make you call me.
Speaker 2: Doctor for I would use it if I had a pH D. You damn right, I would doctor Cooper Lawrence. To wrap up this segment because I do want to get to p any next. What does this do for Cohn kind? I mean, is he done or does he have nine lives? Oh?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, oh god, No, He's not done. In fact, his last album did really really scary well, considering the messages that were that were in the album. No, he's not done at all. In fact, I think he's going to have to reinvent himself in a way that is more palatable to a wider range of an audience. He has his audience. He has people baked in that are willing to spend money and go to his listen. I've seen him live twice, so I'm not going to pretend like I don't love him as well. But I've had a hard time with what's been going on with him. So but I you know, I'm willing to forgive. We'll see what happens in the next in the next year or so, if he really turns things around and does something a little more you know, provocative, that is not at the expense of other people.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Coming up next to an update on the p Diddy trial is doctor Cooper Lawrence Joyce us here on WBZ.
Speaker 1: Right after this, it's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All the entertainment news that's fit to listen to. Cooper Lawrence the first CBS Radio. We've been talking about Kanye West and how he's being sued by an employee now and now he's saying he's not anti Semitic, and the whole high hit Hitler thing was just to bring attention to anti semitism, as he seems to be doing a one eighty. So now let's turn to Sean Ditty Combs and the trial here, what is the latest? It seems that he's going away, but what is the latest and greatest? Here, I shouldn't even say greatest.
Speaker 1: What is the latest?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think people sort of too now because it all feels very overwhelming, and I don't know that everybody really fully understands racketeering and sex trafficking, the criteria for those sorts of things, and they did, oh whatever, But let me break it down in a way that makes it a little more palatable that you might be interested in what's gone in this case. So they're alleging, they're alleging racketeering. Okay, they have to prove that Ditty was the head of an illegal empire, an enterprise that committed crimes. It's as simple as that that they have to prove a minimum of two crimes. So they already have of two. Now, originally there were one hundred and twenty five accusations undertrada of people that came forward to accuse him, but the prosecution decided they were going to go with just the four or five people who had the best stories, the most credible, a lot of evidence, whether it's photos or whether it's you know, just so concrete evidence rather than he said she said or he said he said. So they had to kid Cutty. That rapper came in and he basically proved Arson, not proved. I'm not going to say proved, because you know, they haven't adjudicated this. It's still this is just the prosecution side. He set out a case for Arson, and that's one of the crimes that would fall into the racketeering umbrellas. And he did a pretty Arson. He did a pretty good job of talking about Combs blowing up a car, basically setting a car on fire as a recaliation, and so that's that that that qualifies.
Speaker 1: And then they also had I mean that could be attempted murder.
Speaker 3: It did, absolutely could if somebody was in the car, for sure, But I think he did it to a car he knew nobody was in. But you're you know what, You're right, But you know what, you blow up a car somebody's walking by, there's involuntary manslaughter. So it's not you know, you have that too. Capricorn Clark was Ditty's assistant at Bad Boy Records. She laid out a case as well for kidnapping, that he had kidnapped her, and not just in a funny cute way, in a very scary way. And she and another assistant who is only going by the name Mia right both laid out really compelling cases for everything that Cassie Venturres said last week that they were there for it all that they had. There was no choice. I mean, you either had to. If you didn't do what he said, she got beaten. If she did do what he said, she was basically sexually assaulted. And she was between a rock and a hard place the entire time. And they testify to how awful her life was and how little they could do about it. So, yeah, the abuse was pretty well documented on Cassie's parts. So what's really interesting? So they're laying out this very very what seems like a very solid case. So what's the defense. You know this the defense is going to is going to start next week. What are they going to say? Because it seems like how do you defend something like this? So the witness list they have is sealed. We don't know who the witnesses are yet, but presumably it's people who are going to say this was all consensual. I was there, Cassie wasn't being held against her will. There's another victim that's going by, Jane Doe. Jane Doe wasn't. Now they were there. There were enough prostitutes and hired sex workers who are probably going to take this and say, yeah, I was paid to do this. This was something that they wanted, that they wanted to happen. How do I know, I don't know them. They paid me to be there, right, So that's they're probably going to say that the accusations don't meet the standard for sex trafficking or racketeering, but that the video, the famous video, the Cassie video of him, I have to say, allegedly, even though you see the whole video of yourself, let's say, allegedly beating her in the hallway in an La hotel. He transported her across the country, according to Cassie, and when she refused, when she didn't want to be there, he showed her videos of herself and compromising positions and said that he was threatened her, said he was going to release them if she didn't do what he said. So him transporting her to La to then allegedly have sex with his friends, prostitutes, whatever he wanted, that's the sex trafficking. So his his defense is going to have to come and say, listen, they didn't meet the standard for any stuff. But the problem is all of these charges life in prison, that's what you get to these. This isn't like you get a couple of years and then you know the probation or time served. These are all charges that will get him life in prison. So the stakes are high.
Speaker 1: And he won't survive.
Speaker 3: Who knows, you know, maybe he'll thrive in prison.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, But when it comes to usually comes to these sorts of crimes. They don't. These guys don't do well. I think that.
Speaker 2: It's just really hard and it's so sickening when the defense is, well, she could have left if she wanted to, right, and we all know with domestic abuse and women that are sexually abused, you know, leaving is not a choice quite often, I mean the mental abuse and the physical abuse.
Speaker 1: But that's what they're going to say. It was consensual.
Speaker 2: She could have left any time she wanted, really could she. And that's the part that discussed me, Cooper. You're great, doctor Cooper Lawrence.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: We appreciate the new information regarding Kanye. Will follow that story. People need to follow you on Instagram. CBS Entertainment reporter Cooper Lawrence, thanks for coming on, and we'll talk to you again.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Okay, see you, Cooper, Doctor Cooper Lawrence. She's so plugged in with stuff, I mean really good. She's got really good stuff. So follow on following Instagram and social media as well. Okay, coming up next, we're gonna talk to don Dan Shaughtessy about the Celtics and what a disaster this playoff season was and also a kid out of Sudbury mash doing some great things in college.
Speaker 1: It's a great story. Matt Dooley has it. It's all coming up for the next hour on wb Z.