Speaker 1: Well this lame.
Speaker 2: Kelly six Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and YouTube. Let me tell you about Candace Nicholas Lippman. She's an actress, spoken word artist, and arts educator with a passion for using her god given talents to uplift others. You may know her from her time as Jasmine on the show Blind Spotting. Candas Nicholas Lipman's solo play, A Rose called Candace, is an epic, moving, inspiring, cinematic ode to survival, grace, and exhilarating ambition. Candas is a shiny exemplar of how living as an artist, in spite of what the universe throws at you, or perhaps because of it, is truly a road to freedom. As the review goes, a Rose called Candace is a templess for any one of us to use in our own lives. She has created an ethos for artists to follow, and she joins us now back here on later with mo Kelly. And there's a there is a wrinkle to this because when you came in i'll say last year or so and told us about this one woman's show, you were doing everything. When I say it's a one woman show, I mean you were hanging the lights here, you were doing everything. Part of the reason why we brought you back is the show has grown. It's going to be running from June twenty first to the twenty ninth at the Los Angeles Theater Center. Have that right, yes, which is five fourteen Spring Street. But one of your producers is Academy Award winner Viola Davis. Yes, that's not bad news. You have to tell me the story of and it wasn't it by chance? You just happened to run into Viola Davis. Now, let me tell you this. I happened to run into Viola Davis at the Whole Foods across the street from the studio. It didn't go as well for me. How is it when you ran into Viola Davis you ended up working with her?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, this is a little bit of a long story, so I'll just give the cliff notes version. A couple of years ago, we were both in text for South by Southwest, promoting our individual projects. Long, long story short, we just happened to be staying at the same hotel. We just happened to be in the Jacuzie at the same time. Meet her and her husband, and we just started talking about everything from like faith to what's going on in the world, to art and all the things, and we just kind of connected organically. And as you know, mister Kelly, I'm very transparent about, you know, things in.
Speaker 3: My life and what's going on.
Speaker 1: And then it was just you know, it's been really really hard and seven so we were just talking about all the things, and then that's how we kind of connected. Mister Julius and Miss Biola were like, Hey, when we're back in La, connect with us. Here's our assistance information. And then from there, yeah.
Speaker 2: You say that, you know, we all have our story, yes, and sometimes people only know us by our glory. You've worked in Hollywood for quite some time, you have had success, been on grades of Dat Toy, of course blind spotty. But people think, oh, it's easy after that, and that couldn't be further from the truth.
Speaker 3: Is it so far from the truth?
Speaker 1: And I think that is the thing that's really really powerful in terms of what I believe my purpose and assignment is. I believe my vulnerability is my superpower. And I just recently did an interview with KKW News and something that I quoted on there was. You know, we do live in a world right now, specifically with social media and everyone trying to put on this sort of facade. I guess if you will, yeah, you know, but people, I feel really really described to this whole mantra of like, oh, you know, you fake it till you make it, fake it till you make it. And I don't really subscribe to that. I really believe in faith it till you make it, because if you're faking anything and then you're not being authentic, how can you really be used by God?
Speaker 3: How can you really touch somebody?
Speaker 1: How can you really make a difference if you're not authentically being yourself? And so I am on this journey of freedom, which is a big theme in my show. It's because I want to release all of the things of like what my childhood has instilled in me, in terms of the people pleasing, the lack of boundaries, the caring what other people think about you, you know, like I am me, I am Joe, you know, and I'm in this season of where I'm really like, I want to release all of that other stuff, including feeling shame or guilt about things that I may experience, I e. Like a strike happening, like what happens when you're in your dream and then the strike happens and those shows get canceled. Now what happens? What does that really look like? Do you just give up? Or is it like, oh no, I got to put one pants leg back on at a time, get back up by faith and just keep going. And that's what I'm showing you this in my show.
Speaker 2: We have talked to you about this show, probably in a different iteration before, yes, and then you have a different producer, different eyes on a different viewing of it. They they see it slightly different. How has this show changed, improved or grown with the addition of not only Viola Davis but her husband, Well, it has grown.
Speaker 1: For one, of course, having their support is a big deal, right, so I'm very very grateful for that in the sense of how it has changed or how it has grown. I really have to say that is my choice in deciding to bring in a co director. I haven't had a director since like twenty nineteen. I've just kind of been doing it just me and got you know, from all the listen Jesus so from all the friends in Los Angeles to me taking it to off Broadway, Like all of that was just by myself, by faith, right, and so now having someone coming on and producing it where that kind of part of it is a little bit oliviate, you know, taken away in terms of the stress of that, I decided.
Speaker 3: To bring in a co director.
Speaker 1: And after weeks and weeks of researching various directors, because I'm really really big on who I bring with me along this journey, because it is a journey and I know all that it takes to put up my show, I decided to bring.
Speaker 3: On the amazing Bernadette Speaks.
Speaker 1: Yes, you may know her from Love Jones, from All American And I just think I could not have been more grateful for God to have partnered us together, because she is stretching me in ways that I did not know that I still needed to be stretched. She is challenging me in ways because the thing is, I did my show all the way back in twenty eighteen. But I'm not the same person I was in twenty eighteen. I'm not even the same person I was last year when I did this show, hopefully or not right, And so my as my story is evolving, so am I And so when I am constantly evolving, as we all are. Hopefully as artists, our art should reflect that evolution.
Speaker 2: I always wonder, though, and I asked you some form of this question the last time we spoke, and maybe the answer is the same or it's somewhat different now. I wonder how you manage to tell some of these same stories, relive some of the same pain, and not either become numb or find yourself falling back into that pit of pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, This is also another reason why I'm so grateful that I have a co director, because a lot of the trauma or whatever it is that I'm sharing on stage from part of my life story is either trauma that I am still currently actively working through, like in therapy or whatever, or it may be something that I am reliving currently right now in my present day. So again, my vulnerability is my superpower, and I think within that transparency that's the thing that really touches people's souls, because it's like, here I am bearing my soul on this stage unapologetically in hopes and hopes that I can impact, inspire and courage one person in the audience that my bravery and my courage and my understanding that our stories are our trials or tribulations of what we go through is not just for us. It is literally meant to help to save to someone else. And so because I talked about this too in another interview that because within the African American community specifically, we are always brought up to be like, hey, what happens in this house days? And it's not you bet not going against the grain.
Speaker 3: You bet not. I promise you.
Speaker 1: We cannot break generational curses that way, we cannot heal that way.
Speaker 3: And because I.
Speaker 1: Am so much joy right, I literally am an illustration of not looking like what I've been through, and I think that.
Speaker 3: Is powerful too.
Speaker 1: And so if I can show people that resilience and how no matter what, I still can continue to get up, then you could get up too.
Speaker 2: We're talking about a rosecalled Candace with idi am. I am amazed Candace Nicholas Lipmann because each time we talk, you have a renewed sense of self and energy which confounds me. And then I hear your person of faith like, oh yeah, that expats that, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah very quickly?
Speaker 2: How can people find the show and get their tickets right now?
Speaker 3: Yes, right now?
Speaker 1: You can go to the Robitheatercompany dot org. Robitheatrecompany dot org. They are also a producer on this show.
Speaker 4: That's r O b e Y Yes.
Speaker 3: R O b e Y Theater Company dot org.
Speaker 1: You can also head to my website a rosecall Candace dot com for more information and it will be We have our first preview this Friday, hold June twentieth, and then the official opening is June twenty first, and we run through the twenty ninth.
Speaker 2: Just got to let people know it's the Robytheatercompany dot org. That's r O b e y t e e A t r E Company dot org. We're gonna make sure that you get there. Will help more with boy I tell you Candace Nicholas Flipman because I tried not to get too caught up in the conversation, you know, but when the spirit starts moving, as they say, you know more in just a moment. It's Lady with mo Kelly k if I AM six forty. We live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and YouTube.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty k if.
Speaker 2: I am six forty, Yes Later with Mo Kelly We're live on YouTube and the iHeartRadio app, and you're just tuning in. My guest in studio is Candace Nicholas Lipman. You know her as an actress, probably from Blind Spotting as Jasmine and her solo play Now I'm sorry to now, I'm sorry. I hate when I get things wrong with that. I am so sorry.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: But we're here for your solo one woman play, a rose called Candace, and it is debuting on the twenty first, and it's running through the twenty ninth at the Roby Theater excuse me, at the Los Angeles Theater, which is five to one four Spring Street in LA. And from what I hear, you got two people in the studio who will be there as well.
Speaker 4: You see, it.
Speaker 1: Should be foult mister Kelly, look fair enough, fair enough toala.
Speaker 4: You got my schedule.
Speaker 2: I think we could do Saturday and twenty first. As we talk about this, I suspect you're drained after every performance.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, I'm again transparency.
Speaker 1: I'm drained right now, like I am exhausted, like literally even all day today. Although I do have producers on the show, I am still a producer of my show and I will make sure that my show is successful in the name of Jesus. And so I'm still behind the scenes, very much so, going all over Los Angeles networking with people, passing out flyers, doing all the things, booking my own press things, you know, like doing whatever I can to make sure that you know, by God's grace, that we get people in the seats and whoever is meant to be there will be there.
Speaker 2: You and I were having a very candid conversation off air talking about the realities of entertainment. Let me put it that way, where with each success, there is someone saying.
Speaker 4: You're a failure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, each step.
Speaker 2: Of the way, someone is saying you can't do this, or you're not good enough, or they don't recognize the path that you're on.
Speaker 4: How do you deal with it? I know how I deal with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, the way that I look at it.
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 1: You know how sometimes people have been saying, well, like if you don't got no haters, then that means you're not doing you know kind of thing and not trying to say that these people are haters. But when people are trying to speak okay, but like when people do try to feed me with all that negativity. Again, everything is perspective, and I have to do the work constantly to be like, No, I know who I am, I know who God is, and I know what God.
Speaker 3: Said and what he has ordained for my life.
Speaker 1: So regardless of what you're saying, I can listen to what you say, but I don't have to receive it, and I'll have the positive in my spirit.
Speaker 3: I rebuke it.
Speaker 2: Take me inside a rose called Candice. How is it broken up? Is it broken up? Let's say in the thirds where you're a child for a portion, maybe an adolescent than an adult.
Speaker 4: How does it proceed?
Speaker 1: Yes, So it's sixty minutes exactly, no intermission, and basically the show is done like in three acts. However, it's literally like as people have described it in emotional rollercoaster ride, like I literally take you through a lot.
Speaker 3: In sixty minutes.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, So like Act one, we're really digging into me in my childhood. Act two is kind of like high school, more of the growth high school college. And then Act three is here being in Los Angeles and what that experience has been like.
Speaker 2: So do you find that Well, I'm pretty sure audiences react differently on different nights of different parts. Do you find people responding more to when you're an adolescent or maybe in college or I'm quite sure it hits people differently.
Speaker 1: Yes, because it hits people differently, and the different responses that I've gotten from people.
Speaker 3: This is also how I know that this is purpose.
Speaker 1: Because when I'm just a black girl from the hood of Sacramento that's.
Speaker 3: Out here trying to achieve her dream, okay.
Speaker 1: And the fact that me, someone like me, my story can reach someone of different faith backgrounds, of different ethnic groups, of different age demographics. How that's nothing but God that my story can reach all these different people. And I really have to say, that's kind of kudos to my pastor, doctor Hoaiah Collins, because it was him Back in twenty fourteen. I was homeless living in my car when I started writing this story.
Speaker 2: Run too fast past that, slow down so people can hear it and understand not only where you're going but where you've come from. Yeah, thank you almost living in your car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's so interesting you said that, because that's one of my notes that my co directors. She's like, you know, you don't have to speak like hand is let us be there with.
Speaker 4: You, Yes, let us twell in the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yes. It was twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: I was living in my car, homeless, and I remember having a counseling session with my pastor and I remember kind of just talking to him like about my life little bit. And he's the one who say He was like, baby girl, you have a powerful story, he said, and I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 3: Your story is not unique.
Speaker 1: But it's because it's not unique is the reason why you need to share it. And that shifted everything for me where I was like, oh again, our testimony is not just for us.
Speaker 3: It is meant to be for other people.
Speaker 1: And so with that, I just was like okay, God, And I just was writing, writing and writing, and then I debuted it in twenty eighteen and then just kept on with it from there. But the response I got in twenty that really SOLIDI for that confirm where I was like, oh, wow, okay, so cause I'm terrified. It is terrifying. I am literally sharing things that people put in their journals.
Speaker 3: Do you understand, like this is.
Speaker 1: Things that I'm sharing out But again, because it is bigger than me, I have to remove myself and understand that Kennis is bigger than you. You have more of a calling, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Kenn's.
Speaker 2: I always wonder, yes, women are going to get something out of this. Women made more readily identify with the different parts of your story.
Speaker 4: But I'm sure men get something.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely if you go back. And I'm so grateful for those who leave reviews and stuff. Thank y'all so so much, because not only, of course, is it letting other people know what your experience was to see in the show, but it also reminds me too on days that I may have where I'm doubting myself or feeling low or hearing all that negativity.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, why am I doing this?
Speaker 5: God?
Speaker 1: You know? And then I go back and I look at I'm like, Okay, God, I'm making a difference. God is having impact the men. If y'all go read the reviews the men their reviews, Wow.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because we do different things, but we respond similarly. What I mean by that is when you're performing, and this is kind of a performance art at radio, we may not get the immediate response and reaction from people, but when we do hear from someone, it renews us because we sometimes forget we're touching people in ways that we don't.
Speaker 4: Know in the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a rehearsal that Bernadette and I had and it was on a really hard part of my story that I was sharing, and I just broke down in the middle of rehearsal and I literally yelled out to her, why am.
Speaker 3: I doing this again?
Speaker 1: Because yes, because I'm like, why am I putting myself out here again for people?
Speaker 3: Why am I doing this?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 1: Like, what is the purpose of Like, So, even within the process and me still being very clear of.
Speaker 3: My assignment, I'm still human.
Speaker 1: Like, this is not easy, and y'all will see when you come see the show.
Speaker 3: It's not easy what I'm doing at all.
Speaker 2: Candace Nicholas Slippman, I'm out of time with you at this point, but i want to make sure that you know that we support you and make.
Speaker 4: Sure that people know how to get there.
Speaker 2: Yes, tell people the when, the where, the how, all the specifics.
Speaker 1: Please Yes, So again, y'all, my name is Candace Nicholas Flipman.
Speaker 3: That's Candace c. A. N. D Ace. Oh wait, I forgot we online Now y'all can see my name right here.
Speaker 5: Break.
Speaker 4: It's a YouTube show.
Speaker 3: What's up you too?
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you go you typed in my name Candace Nicholas Lippman, you can find me on all the platforms. I don't have a stage name. That is my name, amen. And then for tickets, you can go to a rose called Candace dot com, which is spelled the same way as my name there, or you can also go to the Robitheater coompany dot.
Speaker 2: Org and that's r O b e y Theater t h e A t r e dot org. Because some of y'all can't spell the way you eat.
Speaker 4: You a theater. It's not like boovie theater. It's like play right the r E.
Speaker 1: Yes, you guys, come, come come. It is more than entertainment. This show is ministry. I promise you, based on what all throughout the years that other people have said, you will not leave the theater the same way you came in.
Speaker 3: I'm very grateful to the Roby.
Speaker 1: I'm so grateful to mister Julius and miss Viola for giving me this opportunity to share my story again and again. This is probably the final run in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: So if you've never seen my show.
Speaker 1: Come, and even if you have seen it, you have not seen it this way before.
Speaker 3: So come, come, Come.
Speaker 2: All I got to say is I appreciate when someone like the statue of Viola Davis sees potential and talent in you and then takes it upon themselves to help you reach another level.
Speaker 4: We should do more than just helping an assisting one or another.
Speaker 1: Amen. And then also, y'all, when you you know how they say like manifesting or speaking things too. So it is one thing about like how we kind of met.
Speaker 3: But also if you go.
Speaker 1: Back through my Twitter feeds, if my friends can attest to this, I have been manifesting or professing like one day I'm gonna work with miss Viola one day. One now in my mind, I'm thinking, like on the movie set, please Jesus still one day. But the fact that this is why you tell God your plans he laughs, Because the fact that it's happening this way with something that I created is amazing, and so I'm just so grateful.
Speaker 2: Let me just say this, see you soon, Aye, It's later with Mokelli. If I am six forty, we live everybody.
Speaker 5: I heeartradio up you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI a M six forty