Speaker 1: Hey, Ty, you'll want to see my knob. It's right here. Oh oh, can you describe it for our listeners? Well, it's certainly a girthy knob. I'm not sure I've seen a knob quite so flat and yet wide.
Speaker 2: You've got fun Factor. Two old gamers reviewing old video game magazine reviews. I'm Ty Shelter, He's Aiden Moher, and we're two professional writers who grew up loving the video games and video game magazines the nineteen eighties, nineteen nineties, and two thousands. Every episode we take a critical look back on the games media that, for better and for worse, inspired us to do what we do.
Speaker 1: First, go to Funfactor.
Speaker 2: Pod dot com, follow the show on your podcatcher of choice, leave us a rating or review on iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you get your media. We'll read the best, kindest, funniest, and most insightful ones on the air in our letters section. Please consider becoming a member of fun Factor Ultra, our premium tiers, the unlock ad free episodes, bonus episodes, and the members only channels of our discord. Just go to Funfactor pod dot com and I promise you can't miss it. And hey, if you are watching this live on stream, you are already a member of fun Factor Ultra, already enjoying the benefits that come with that membership. And we are hoping some of you guys who asked questions today in our special episode will be able to hear your questions live joining in the audience. We appreciate you all so much. Help us spread the word, get our video in more eyeballs, our audio in more ear holes, Shout us out on blue Sky, at funfactor pod dot com and everywhere else at fun Factor pod. In way back before Web two point zero and Web one point zero, was just learning to crawl.
Speaker 1: I guess be crawled. Uh.
Speaker 2: Magazines had letters sections. They were away for a especially passionate readers who give praise for the content they loved, gripe about content they hated, pine for content they wanted, and maybe just maybe get the thrill of seeing their own words and their own name in print. Geeky publications like comic books and fanzines often had a robust letter section, and game mags were no different. You've said you sent in some letters back in the day, right.
Speaker 1: No, I have not been in Canada. I guess I technically could have, but I think in a lot of ways those magazines felt out of reach for me because most of the letters. You know, I would have said before we started the show that most of the letters were from American readers, But I do see more Canadian ones and I than I expected, and so I was pretty passive with reading magazines. I got more into that sort of two way style of communication when we got into the web era.
Speaker 2: However, of course, and that two way communication, as we I've talked about before, letters sections often inspired a sort of like primordial parasociality, and game players in particular encouraged this. We go back to June nineteen ninety five, we can see ground zero for a particular brand of nonsense that set the tone for the letters section for literal years. We could, and maybe someday should, do a whole episode about this, but for now, Aiden, would you like to be Habib the Torturer or would you like to handle Managing editor Bill Donna Hughes's response, Oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I will take Habibe the Torturer. Okay, great, sounds good. That's actually that was my nickname in high school.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm Habib the Torturer. And no, I have a little story to tell you. It all started one day. Sorry, it all started one day when I bought Dew. The game seemed fun at first, but after a while I got boring. This boredom drove me a little bit insane. I found myself trying to find more rewarding ways of killing zombies and doom. Here's how I'd do it. First, I'd shoot them about one hundred times. Then I'd chop off their heads and do my ancient Habib dance.
Speaker 1: That's not all. I have a little game I play with zombies decapitated heads. First, I hang the heads from my ceiling. Then I pull out a baseball bat and take a few swings out of them. The first had to hit the ground. Wins. Now the trouble comes into my story one I have not read this time. Where did you find this ty?
Speaker 2: If you scrolled out in the dock. This is literally a printed letter. There's a big red skull to save the last dance. I feel like Bill Donnie who wrote this himself. Now, one day, while I was playing my little game, my mom walked in and threatened to take away my Doom because she somehow noticed the heads hanging from my ceiling, so naturally I had to kill her, so I did.
Speaker 1: Then I played no. Then I played my game with her head too. Then my dad walks in and sends over some guys in white and they locked me up in this big, white patted room with nothing in it but my computer and a baseball bat. I'm still in here, and I have no zombie heads from Doom to play my little game with because they took it away. So could you guys send me Doom so that I can carry on with my harmless little game habib the Torture Littleton, Colorado. I know who actually wrote this. It was Jack Thompson and Joelieberman. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually found a thread talking about like, hey, was this real? Was this a plant? Did Bill Donahy write this himself? And who knows? I couldn't fit you. I had a couple see a couple of people go ah, we should talk to somebody, and you know, maybe if I did a little digging we could get somebody to admit it. I'll handle bills respect again. Managing editor, which, for those of you in journalism, this is like the person who like signs the checks. This is like, you know, they're a senior management role. Bill aka Mugu the Mangler. Finally, one of my kind, Habib, my brother, My hourly prayers to Kazuga go out to you in your hour of pain and imprisonment. I will dance the eldritch Mugu dance on the highest minaret, every full mood until this he even sees the air of his ways and releases all of our brethren from the asylums. Soon will come the cleansing, and when the sky turns hell fire red, Gazugo will return. Until that moment, dance and dream of the many heads that shall hang from our shrines, and how the crack of the skull bats shall echo across all the realms of the thirteen dimensions. Uh yeah, so again Okay. This set the tone for the letters section. Plenty of the readers wanted to play along. Mentions of Habib Gazooga, the cleansing, the happening, et cetera flood the game player's letters section along with this conspiratorial, fantastic, wildly overzealous writing. It's and you know everybody would be making up their own proper nouns, their own you know, weirdo things, and the writers would all play along. It's much like the sort of a play along yes anding present that was already in like usenet and BBS's and we would very soon see in when web forums and message boards and now we have all over read it and social media. It is in that spirit that I offer one of my two published letters to game players. I genuinely could not find the other one. I also genuinely did not want to share this because I am genuinely embarrassed by it. But as a journalist and a chronicler of history, I offer this literally true story that I sent into game players and embellished the hell out of as best I could, again at the tender age of fourteen years old. When I wrote this. It was published in the May nineteen ninety six issue Aiden. I didn't ask you this ahead of time. So if you can't do this live, that's okay, can you? Maybe I actually could share the content here? Let me see if I can get this.
Speaker 1: I'll just I'll do man. I'm good, I'm good. I can say this all right? Are we ready? Yes? Okay, we've got it here. So here we have like a highlighted letter in the letter section. It has its own box out. It's got a big header that says quote so very carry. It's got a fancy background and everything, And besides it is a picture of a very buxom fighting woman with blonde hair, very very cool.
Speaker 2: Carrie Hoskins, who was the actor who did the mocap for Sonia from Mortal Kombat. So play little context here. This was this really happened again. I was watching just regular local news and she came on and did a sit down Q and A. There was like a Mortal Kombat Live tour where they actually got many of the actual actors and they just did some sort of live show of the kind that was you know Sesame Street Live, Ninja Turtles Live, Mickey Mouse Live. You know you would have. Then they would go in civic centers and basketball arenas around the country.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, they got actual Tonya Blade for this.
Speaker 1: So this is the thing again.
Speaker 2: Fourteen years old, I ask everyone for grace. I was out on a dangerous recon mission searching for info on the top secret Chinchilla.
Speaker 1: Drive peripheral for Virtual Boy.
Speaker 2: When I intercepted an encrypted transmission from their exclusive Icy Black Hand of Death cult. It was a live interview with uber Babe herself, Carrie Hoskins, the Drool slowly gathered in pools under my chin as she answered softball questions lab by Liz Talbot, a local news anchor believed to be a conspirator in the now infamous noodle incident. That's two Calvin and Hobbs references so far. If you're paying attention at home, outfitted in full Sonya regalia, the pultraitudinous missus. Yes she's married, Hoskins revealed. One she's never been in a fight. Two she was once stalked by a guy in Minnesota. Three she thinks Mortal Kombat is about self discipline, not splattering internal organs on the sidewalk. Four she sucks at Mortal Kombat. I hold this information up to you, mighty evil masters of Polygons. I hope it appeass you're ever growing hunger for gaming news. And I signed off as the Marlin because I was very into marlins, like the fish literally and also therefore the baseball team when they because they were just about they had just started playing at this point. So the response from Mike Salmon and again Mike Salmon, uh would go on to be a VP of bizdev at two K Game for several years, and since twenty seventeen he's been a very highly paid consultant. He's the senior vice president of games for MCGID, some kind of mega media and entertainment research based business strategy company. So just you know, keep that in mind. She's married, damn, and she can't prove I was even in Minnesota at the time. Notably, Mike did go to the University of Minnesota. Besides that, I wasn't stalking. I was sauntering, get me your husband's name, and I shall make everything okay. If you can't get enough of carry, you should check out war Gods. I took it, took a small army of very happy men to squeeze her voluptuous body into her tight and revealing new outfit. And I believe that is the picture we see here. So again, this is you know, all throughout the magazine, throughout years, you'd see this sort of you know, people trying to play along, people trying to yes, and people trying to impress the writers of the magazz, people trying to you know, be little tiny writers of the magazine themselves.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, uh Yeah, there's a lot. Like I'm impressed by the density of like information language, like I don't even know pultratudinous, Like I don't even know that word. And I'm like the person in everybody, like everybody I know in real life, I'm the guy who knows all the weird words. Right, And I've never heard of that where and you were using it at fourteen? Pretty impressed it. Like you also impress that you stuck in a virtual boy reference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, Like I've always been me.
Speaker 1: I've always know as we all hop on the virtual boy band wagon with the you know, Nintendo Switch Online release. Uh, you were there at the beginning. Yes, you were standing that virtual boy like nobody else. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean so again, it's you know, I'm trying to impress these guys. I've got my joke density because it's letters, you know. I had yeah, hours to like workshop this and put as many you know, little references as I could. But he like jokes that could, you know. And I don't know how many letters they got per month, right, Like, I don't know how many they were editing through. It was probably hundreds. But then again, you could post something today on Twitter and if you're a big account, get dozens of replies, many of whom are doing the same joke in your mentions over and over.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and so just.
Speaker 2: That kind of delayed thing, you know, it made it a little less toxic and a little more creative and fun for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, absolutely, And I think like one thing that always stood out to me about letter sections is I don't know how much like editorial, like copy editing went into these, like but they're always clean, they're always like the language is always like readable, and like you know, you get in comment sections like now on the internet or any time over the past twenty years, and it was like, you know, everybody knows not to read the comment section. Yeah, but you get just the most brainless stuff. But like this just like the filter of only the best stuff rising to the top and then probably some light editorial for you know, readability happening probably helped. But like you said too, like you know, you grew up to be a writer. It was there at fourteen, and so like just that time just like not being able to like post stuff and make it public immediately, but essentially like going through an editor for all of this stuff makes a big difference in terms of like curating a lot of it. All right, well, folks, our favorite letters are yours, the ones you've sent us. And of course our audience is extremely well versed in writing, editing, producing, streaming, socilling, et cetera. And it is a pleasure and honor to receive all of your excellent, excellent questions. And in the spirit of slightly delayed parasociality, we are doing a slow motion ama about our first season, the generation gap that just came to a close. I asked you, folks on Discord, Blue Sky, et cetera, hit us up with your burning questions, and now we have burning answers for you. If you are not already a member of Fun Factor Ultra, not watching us broadcast this live not getting ad free episodes, don't worry. Just hang tight through the break. When we come back, we will flip through. Oh no, we will not flip through anything.
Speaker 2: We will flip through your questions and your emails and answer them. Okay, I had to hit them with the strong bad.
Speaker 1: I don't make fun of your spelling and punctuation. I mean, we've got mail.
Speaker 2: But this week, the letters are the show for this special episode of fun factor. We reached out to you, we received a ton of great reader questions, so let's get right to them. So our first question today comes from Chris Chapman on Blue Sky, and Chris asks, how would you design the ideal games magazine using elements of other magazines like some mad magazine scientists, for example, the reviews of magazine Why, with the editorial coverage of magazine Z and the cover design and magazine X and so on. What would be your ultimate chimera of a games magazine? Time Man, I love this question definitely, the like paper stock of early next generation super fancy laminated everything, probably previews and screenshots from game fan, but then like editorial copy of next generation feature articles and previews and stuff of not their reviews game players. This is tough because we've been talking about this a little bit on the show and on social media. Where when I was a kid, I loved game players. Increasingly through the years, wonky meticulous break it down into eighty two subcategories and pile it back up through weighted averages to try and come to like the ultimate like objective final score. And you know, as an adult, I can see how much Bologney it all is you know, how often the final score seems to be the thing they started with and then worked back to, you know, or how much subcategories seem to have been manipulated to make the score come out the way they want it. So I think I'll still go with reviews for game players because I got to get some game players love in there, and the copy genuinely was they usually put you know, good space into the review copy, and you know whatever, all the extra little score bits where at least interesting to note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would go with game players' reviews as well, for basically all the reasons that you mentioned, but I also liked that they were very like like you talk about trying to like get the objective score or whatever like, but they were also very like personality driven and like who was reviewing it mattered a lot. But I also liked for the major reviews that they got second opinions, and you know, when I think back about the reviews that stick in my mind, they're all game players reviews. So I got to go with game players, even though, like you know, I doubt that if we averaged out our scores over the run of the show that game players, you know, like would get the highest average score of like you know what we're rating it. They are my favorite. I love game fans enthusiasm and just like their fancy nature. I like that outside of reviews, like we have read some reviews and game fan that didn't really necessarily like meet my standard for like good criticism, but the fact that they had the capsule reviews and the long reviews and just like the crazy layouts and is just so dense with just there's like every millimeter on every page is filled with something I want to look at, and that all comes from from that enthusiasm, So like game players reviews, game fans enthusiasm, and then like I liked, I felt like EGM was the one that kind of like EGM with my bread and butter. As I look over at my like library of old gaming mags, it's EGM like outnumbers everything else combined, and I think just that whole package. But it also just the way that they felt like they had a grasp on the entire games industry, like a broad depth of like coverage for like everything from sports games to RPGs to like just everything in between, and so like that sort of like broad range of EGM would would probably be the third thing I want to see in like a perfect magazine.
Speaker 2: Col cool from and I should have asked for pronunciation on this nick I'm gonna go with Geddy g o ed E on Discord. Was there a game in your childhood that made you say something like wow, games can do this?
Speaker 1: And if so, what was it? Yes, I mean we preferably no, And like you know, everybody knows I love Chronal Trigger and it did and it does some amazing things, you know, But my like moments like that had happened way before, like Chronal Trigger for me, like Finowantay six was a big one for me. That's when I kind of discovered ourpg's. And I've told this story before, but I had a cool babysitter and we would always play Doom together. But one time he came over with a cartridge for Final Fantasy III as it was known at the time, popped it in and I was just rocked. I was like, how is this a thing? It's like a book I can play And that was a big eye opening moment for me. But also just like I mean playing Doom back in the day and like having played Wolfenstein, but particularly plaining Doom, and it was like, how is this game just transported me to this other world? Like, how does Doom turn this tiny, little like twelve inch computer monitor into Mars or like one of Mars's moons? Yeah, you know, covered in demons and stuff, Like how it doesn't have this transportative quality. And then like another example for me was Links Awakening on a game Boy and so you know, I had played lots of Link in the past, but having like a whole Zelda experience on game Boy and this whole little like world that felt like it belonged just to me as I stared at that little, tiny, tiny screen was like magical. And so that idea of like portal gaming and the same with like Super Mario Land two, like six Golden Coins, just the idea that you can have these personal little worlds that you fall into and like because there's so much agency and video games like every experience I had and that was unique to me, and everybody else playing that had their own unique experiences. So that transformed transformative transportative, transportative, transportative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love trans I think like I guess I don't know all transportational. Ultimately, that's like what really like as a kid, blew me away was the way that games could transport me somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, like a bunch of just wild memories. They're popping into my head. Probably when I was like four and a half at a babysitter's house and they put in double dribble for the nes and the guy goes and like the most rible digitized voice sample.
Speaker 1: The video, just a double dribble out loud in English.
Speaker 2: Incredible, then doude you know, terrible uh national anthem, you know, uh, horrible digitized sound of the ball hitting the hardwood. Uh just really like wow, okay, dang. Like rich friend who had everything had the Turbographics and the Turbo Express and also which first of all, just a portable system that could literally play the exact same games, right, take the little smart card out of the Turbographics, put it in the Turbo Express playing it was like, yeah, that that's wild. And then he also had the TV tuner.
Speaker 1: I wanted a TV so bad, dude. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so we're like waiting for the bus in like fifth grade and he's got like Ninja turtles like over the air on his little turbographics, you know, Turbo Express and I'm just like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, dude, mind the futures here, it's the future already, you know.
Speaker 2: Wipeout was something that like, it was the game that I was playing in my head when I was playing F zero, right, Like, the idea of maglove racing cars is something that like had been in science fiction, you know. I'd read like science fiction books or short stories or whatever with that concept, and like in my head, I was aw, man, like I would make a game that would have that. They would have this, it would look like this, right, And yeah, I've been thinking about it since I was a kid. I read, you know, something about oh yeah, like F one cars. At the time, this was true. They they found out this was a bad idea eventually, but a Formula one cars created so much downforce that at speed the track could go upside down because they were generating more downforce than the car actually weighed. So if it was already at speed, it could technically be going upside down, and the down the aerodynamically it would stick to the ceiling.
Speaker 1: So it's like the Hedgehog. It would work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no problems here.
Speaker 1: So F zero, like like F zero was like, oh.
Speaker 2: Man, this is like so close to the game that's in my mind, and then like Wipeout, like was the game that was in my mind and playing Wipeout just being like, dude, this is so incredible and it was also so cool. It was the soundtrack was amazing, the visual design and language was amazing. It was like, Wow, this is like really really actually cool, grown up cool. Not like I'm fourteen and I think this is cool. This is like twenty two year olds are like, damn, that's cool, you know, and that it was a great game, and so that was definitely a like huge generational jump, you know. And like you said, they had some of the rpeag stuff Crown of Trigger we've talked about before. Final Fantasy seven just spent a whole episode talking about well, yeah, that's another one that could I mean, we've done two episodes about how it was doing so many things that blew my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. Before we move on to the next question, just shout out to the rain in the opening sequence of Link to the Past when you leave oh Yeah's house, Like, I that was like still one of the moments in gaming. You know. My other answers were sort of like emotional focus, but that one was just like holy crap, Like how it looks like it's raining in real life?
Speaker 2: Sounds like like.
Speaker 1: The this is like yeah, that sounds like it so like what in terms of like tech and art like that was one of those moments where I was like, oh, this is like this is for real, Like this is real life. Let's go. So our next question comes from Claya to Soandre's ault on Blue Sky, who wants to know who our favorite gaming villains are?
Speaker 2: Uh Sigma from Mega Man X Pops to Mind Yeah, I love you know, like, oh, I understand his motivations, right, you know, I understand where he's coming from. You know, even as you're attacking him, he's hitting you with the philosophy of like no, like join with us, We need to get rid of the stupid humans like they subjugate us. They but where are the superior beings? You know, like oh, okay, all right, you know, like this is and it's it's.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: You know, it's both cathartic to beat him, but also you're saying he's got some good points. He's not just a villain for villain's sake, you know, especially in a Mega Man game where it was like m I'm doctor Wiley. I'm Wiley because it's my name, Okay, all right, whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think like that's at the core of all the great villains, right, is somebody who you're like, you do empathize with. And so for me, I think of why Graft in Final Fanca Tactics, Sure, for many of the same reasons, Like why was basically like a social anarchist who, like everything he said. I was like, yeah, man, that's like sick, You're right, like we should do that. We should tear down, you know, the you know, the monarchies, we should distribute wealth among the population, like yes, one hundred percent. But he kind of like pursues his goals too far and then turns into sort of the villain he always railed against by the end. And so like, why Graft has always been a favorite of mine?
Speaker 2: Can we give an honorable mention to all the Church officials in that case?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, well yes, the Church in every RPG in the PlayStation era for sure, for its role in radicalizing me against that. But my all time favorite villain is Galleon from Lunar SilverStar Story Complete and again sort of a fallen hero with like a noble goal of trying to lift up like an oppressed group of people, but doing it in all the wrong ways. And I think that he's just fabulous. John Truitt's voice acting in the PlayStation remaster of the game is just so good. It's iconic. And Gallian was one of the first villains that I really looked at as somebody that I was like, oh, I mean exactly what we're talking about. Oh, like, I understand his motivations, you know, I understand why he's doing the things that he did. You know, I was coming off games like Final Fantasy six where it's like, oh, kefks just like his brain got broken by the magic experiments. Oh, you know, that's like his motivations. He's just like, you know, his psyche is broken. You know, even even Cephrov never really hit for me, like he wanted to destroy the planet. Like now I look back and see sort of like some of the anti capitalists, anti like imperialists undertones of Cephroth, but I think those are stronger in the remake trilogy than they are in.
Speaker 2: And the personal you know, his his drive for just personal vendetta as well just taken out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like kind of muddies that up. Like, I don't think his goals were necessarily as noble as he wanted to make them seem. He was super cool, was the thing was cool?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, absolutely fat ass, But like, oh, Kafka was.
Speaker 1: Maybe Kefka was one.
Speaker 2: Of the first that I really like. You know, he's so cartoonishly evil, right, but like you.
Speaker 1: Just hate him.
Speaker 4: So oh yeah, absolutely like good villain, but not like with the level of depth that you started to get in that like PlayStation era.
Speaker 1: I mean, Lunar was a Sega CD game, so it was around, but I didn't play until PlayStation But but yeah, any any of those enemies, those villains that are like have some sort of ethical core. Uh, even if their actions or they're you know, approach to changing the world and making it better for people, you know, their actions aren't necessarily the right way to go about it. Cool rock Dan on Blue Sky goes besides the reviews, what is your favorite section slash feature.
Speaker 2: To read when you look through old magazines. I'm remembering our guest spot on Retrograde Amnesia, when Chris was like, I went right to the codes every month, and.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, cool, Yeah, not the codes or the strategy stuff, like I didn't really care much about that stuff at all. There were a few, like there were a few strategy guides, Like there's this issue of Megafan I have. It has like Teken on the cover, techn two Teching, I can't remember which one techn three, No, but in any case, it has like a one hundred and eight stars guide for sweeken in and so that was like that was what I used whenever I would replace wee it in right to get all one hundred and eight stars. And like I found it when I was archiving and processing all my magazine. I was like, oh, hey, like it's too bad I just beat this swekond remaster because I would totally just use this guide, yeah, to get everybody again. But for me, like reviews were always of course, like a big one. It's hard not to say previews, Like getting a new screenshot, even if it was like one little grainy like photo of CRT was just so intoxicating, you know, like it was just so like it just felt like you were in on something in the best way. And then like as the games media kind of matured, we then started getting like deeper like analysis or context or developer interviews like all that good stuff. Whereas, like, you know, in the early nineties, it was like previews were like, hey, we went to TGS or whatever was around at that time and took some photos and talked to some guys out of booth, and here's what we learned. Whereas, like, you know, as previews got more you know, serious or they're just more robust, they became even more like just such a great source of information, and so like as we go back and look at some of these interviews, I'm like, I'm realizing how much amazing access we had to the games media or the sort of the games industry as members of the media back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, for sure. I mean I read it front to back every month pretty much. You know, like I'm just like that way as a reader.
Speaker 1: I actually read it back to front. I would read magazines back to front for some reason. Oh yeah, okay, yeah, that's alloted weird you can do that, I know, I don't know, Yeah, I don't know why. I think as reviews were at the back of the GMS for a while or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, typically typically read at the back. But you know, I liked letter to the editor and stuff. Previews were definitely big because again at this time, the generation gap, especially ninety five through ninety seven, it was like what games are capable of doing is just exploding, right, And so you just see one screenshot and go like this could be like what, you know, I've never seen anything like that before. Oh my gosh, you know, just like the potential. And they started talking about tex specs and stuff in ways that like that was really interesting to me. You know, I did subscribe to game magazines in the eight bit days, you know, I subscribed to I started my game player subscription and I think it was third grade, right, And they were not talking about Mega Hurtz and you know, like they were not talking about this stuff. I was just on the Still Loading podcast and doing about Mario three, right, And a huge part of what made Mario three the game it was was on board chips, you know, like what we call the the you know, the FX chip and the super nanty s days. Okay, cool, there's MMS use multimedia controller something like that multi memory controller, you know, and so a bunch of capabilities in the system were being put on the game cartridges and I had no awareness of that. I was reading game magazines every month, no clue, Right, So are all sorts of technical problems and solutions and new technologies and developments happening all the time in the games console world that we just weren't hearing about until this era, when we were like, oh, now we're starting to get this news out of Japan. Now these technical details are starting to leak, you know. So that was really fascinating. But again I was it was reviews I was fascinated by. In most magazines, I was fascinated by the reviews. I've always been interested in critique. I've always been interested in evaluating and examining, Like why do I like the things I like? What do I like about the things I like?
Speaker 1: What's cool?
Speaker 2: I get into something and immediately I'm like, what's cool? What about this is cool? If I get into this, how would I do it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like what cool thing would I buy? What would my cool thing be? That's you know to me. Reviews are part of that. But like next generation had a lot more, as you know, we've talked about and looked at, like like, what's the future of gaming, right, what's the future of hey, Like, here's a big feature on indie games, right, Like this is the indie scene. Here's a big feature with whatever. You know. They serialize the columns of Chris Crawford, who I've wanted to do a bonus episode on Chris Crawford for since before we started this podcast, and every time I dig into it, I'm like, there's too much history and too much I want to say. And I know the Game Studies Study Buddies podcast just read one of his books and talked about it, and I suspect they're also pursuing, you know, a pretty rigorous deep dive into Chris Crawford as well, but serializing basically a book length or you know, incredibly long essay into as serialized essays across the first like like from like issue ten to like twenty two or something, the way games ought to be and it they're fascinating documents. Everything Chris Crawford has written as fascinating because it's like alternating sentences will be like brilliant insight, unbelievably spot on prediction of where games are going, absolute idiocy, sexist, totally wrong, absolutely brilliant. You know you're just sitting there going like, man he called it, oh man, he.
Speaker 1: Was way off. Oh yeah, he was spot on did.
Speaker 2: He never hear of the internet? You know, you're just sitting there and it's fascinating, but just having somebody talk about Hey, philosophically, we're creating art, we're creating a medium here, and it's important that we as game developers, we as game consumers, we as game journalists and commentators think about what we want games to be and why we want them to be that way, and you know, we how do we want the audience to be? How big do we want the audience to be? Our games for everybody? Can they be for everybody? Should they be for everybody?
Speaker 1: What are games for everybody look like?
Speaker 2: And just thinking about that was just absolutely fascinating for me. I couldn't get enough of commentary like that. And it's it's weird that I think now we're in this era where stuff like what we're doing right now, you know, you and me just talking about what we think about games on YouTube, on podcasts, you know, is like the dominant form of discussing games, sometimes superseding actually playing games or buying or reviewing them right for their own sake, Like everybody has opinions about games, whether or not they're even playing them, and so it's just it's just interesting to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like you're I'm appreciating the choir. I obviously have a background, a long background as a critic, like there's a book critic for a long time, and that seeking that understanding of like what makes creative works work and not work, and how they connect with people as individuals and as groups like that has always been fascinating for me. And to see like this kind of rich, deep dive on a monthly basis into video games and the people who make them, like was amazing. And I feel like we're losing that big time as media contracts, Like just the openness of what you could get access to back then was wild, Like we would see like can you imagine like we go back and I was, you know, I looked through old magazines and I see like basically Alpha Productions cuts screenshots of like linked or offer enough times right right right, yeah, and like I look at those and that, like you know, the magazine's showing these off and I'm like, man, that doesn't look like the final build at all, Like doesn't look remotely like what the game ended up looking like. Can you imagine seeing like Alpha footage of like the next Zelda game nowadays, Like you just don't get it. It's so polished, it's so gate kept behind sort of the mechanisms of capital capitalism, because it's all like we have to make as much possible money off of this, we have eight years as we can and like game, and it has to be the biggest game of all time or we all lose our shirts in their jobs. And maybe we also like, I mean, like it can still be the biggest game of all time and everyone's still gonna lose all exactly right, exactly like exactly, but like so we have this like hostile environment, but we also don't get nice good access to you know, footage or screenshots or the development environment in the major like Triple A Gaming space of course, like we have early access Slay the Spire too. Early access just came out, but like even early access games are still like full fledged polished games. Yeah, Like you know, Baldersgate three, I think is one of the great examples of a game, a hugely popular, influential game that came out in early access and like really grew over the course of that early access based on fan experience, and so you know, that would be the equivalent now, but I do miss the fact that we would see, you know, stuff screenshots or whatever, like we would get that SGI demo of Fanazi six characters on the Nintendo sixty four. We just yeah, that stuff lost. And so going back and seeing that and old magazines, that's probably my favorite thing to do now as we as we as we read through a lot of these old magazines. Yeah. Our next question is from Jason wfd on Discord, who I believe is with us here on the live stream as we record this, which is awesome. His question is what gave you the most joy during this first season and what gave you the least joy?
Speaker 2: Oh man, this is a tough question. I mean the least joy. Uh our last episode where I did this big, huge, dramatic reading that I would like I prepped for and I'm like, I'm gonna go for the gopher broke on this. I'm going to give this this review reading like all the sauce, and then you're like, yeah, that one was the child predator that wrote that. I'm like, oh, cool, cool, cool, cool, good great love that. I still did clip it and put it on social media because I was you know, I was like Okay, like this sucks. It took the wind out of my sales, but I still think it was it was it was it was fun to do and kind of encapsulated the wow, look at what game magazines were and could be, and upsides and downsides all in one go. Yeah, some of the some of the most joy I mean, actually, I think discovering some of the stuff, because it's it's great to look back at the stuff, you know, Aiden like here's the Crono Trigger review, you know, and he puts it up on the screen and I'm like, dude, immediately I'm transported back.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: I remember every you know, every inch of that review, just like heated, right, we both read that one hundred million times. We both just read it and going, oh my, someday I'm going to play this game. Imagine how great playing this game is going to be, you know, building that in like that's cool, but also going and you know, I maybe only read like one or two issues a game fan my whole life. Yeah, coming into this and then seeing wow, this is different. Oh this is interesting, you know, discovering the histories, I mean, some of the funnest stuff for me is actually just doing the journalism thing, just setting my journalism brain loose on the histories going through the Masthead and being like, what happened to X person? Oh, they disappeared off the internet in two thousand and eight and who knows, right, Like I'd have to do some real like Lexus nexus. I'd have to like purchase like public records searches to actually find.
Speaker 1: Track this person down.
Speaker 2: And then also finding like, oh yeah, Bill Donahue never stopped writing about games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's.
Speaker 2: Got like a Facebook group that publishes a like quarterly old game zine with a bunch of former game writers.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Cool, Okay, you know it's it's all over the Oh, Dan Shoe is still He's just on social media. You know, you can just tag him and he'll be like, yeah, this is what happened. Yeah. And then as we discovered, maybe Kataku will write it up articles, you know, oh yeah, hey, like fun Factor published this thing, and then you know, Shoe came in and said this, and another former editor said that anyway. You know, so like like going back and just finding out how many of these people who were you know, in their mid twenties often early twenties went on to be executives in the gaming industry, executives and publishing, high paid consultants doing something else completely different entirely. You know, it's just it's just really fascinating to see how many of their careers developed and you know, that nexus in time where all of them were together making a video game magazine, and like how all their careers went from there. It's just absolutely fascinating to me.
Speaker 1: Least Joy is easy for me because it's also okay, actually, let me roll back, let me talk about the most joy from the first season. This is gonna feel a little cheesy, but it is. It's the community of listeners and fellow games community people that we've connected with over the past year. You know, we've got and are growing, you know, or following on YouTube and discord. The community on Discords amazing and Blue Sky and just seeing the people resonating with the work that we're doing is so great. Yeah, and connecting with you know, like other podcasters working in kind of retro gaming, like we talked about the retrograde Amnesia guys a lot who are fabulous, Chris and Eric. You were just on Josh's Still Loading podcast, you know, just hanging out, meeting people connecting more deeply with people that I kind of knew a little bit before the podcast, having people reach out you know via DM be like hey, I'd love to come on the show, and I'm like, whoa, Like we're making something that that resonates with Pannemonium and Greg Stuart, you know, Stud and Stewie also just like in the chat. You know, we'll be like, oh wow, I wonder.
Speaker 2: What this was like, and he'd be like, well, it was like this because I was there. Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You know, our perspective as like, oh, we read these magazines, here's what we thought. And then yeah, having like people who were actually like straight up working at these magazines at the time or whatever, and know other people were like, oh no, this is what happened, you know. Or being able to reach out and like confirm rumors that we've heard, you know, being able to reach out like to whoever. And because we have this, you know, this body of work, people are happy to talk to us, and that's just cool, you know, going on the discord every day and like just hanging out with Nick and you know, Tempest Strife and Jason WFD and We're gonna get know everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm already sitting here. I'm like, Okay, we got to mention Day from Tales the Backlog. Gotta mention Max Storm again, and Jeff from the Funny Games Podcast. We got to I'm like, every time we mentioned one more person, I'm like, there's six more people we need to mention and we're gonna look like jerks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's and it's just like the best, right, and so you know, it's a cheesy answer, but it really is the people. And then for like, least joy is also like another most joy for me. But that's just like the tech stack of running a podcast, Like I love learning about this stuff. I love going deep on getting good audio quality. I love going deep on figuring out how to run like a live production on obs with like seeing transitions, and like, you know, I'm learning how to cut videos in Premiere Pro, which I have no experience doing cutting YouTube shorts. I uploaded a YouTube short as a regular video four times two days ago and could not figure out why, and you know, it's all so headache inducing. Like we're recording this on in chat, Jason says he knew I was gonna say tech was the least joy, but you know, we're recording this episode in Riverside because going live on OBS with video Ninja was given an echo of feedback echo just for tie. It wasn't in the recording, wasn't in my headphones, And it's like why and so like, you know, the work that we do behind the scenes, there is so much that I did not anticipate. But it's also the world I love doing, and like it's the stuff that makes me feel so satisfied at the end. So like, do I get frustrated when we're fifteen minutes late to start a stream because the tech isn't working, Yeah, but like when we figure it out and whereas we make like improvements every episode.
Speaker 2: Right and again our community too, you know Lord Drew By Yeah, Andrew Blewett is you know, yeah, he's incredible video producer. And you know, we'll come in and pop it, you know, multiple people. Quabila will come in and pop in the chat and be like, hey, guys, try this. If you tried that, probably this what resolution are you running at?
Speaker 1: You know? Da da da? What bitrate? You know?
Speaker 2: And we're like, oh, okay, okay, all right, because we're learning this, We're learning this as we go. I come from a radio background, so I have some you know, audio production knowledge, but then the video stuff is like okay, Like I always kind of thought I could do this. I always kind of thought we could do this. But it's learning on the fly. And again we have the grace and grace and patience that you the audience have given us as we work through this on literally live on camera in real time as awesome. It's been phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been so good. And I'm just really happy with with what we've produced a year in and just thinking about like where we'll get a year from now is really exciting for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right from remember that guy on Blue Sky? Is there an intrinsic importance about the physical and tactle nature of an old magazine? Our high quality scans is satisfying to you all. Do you think after sufficient time, a properly archived game website will hit the same nostalgia wise as the paper magazines do.
Speaker 1: This is like a really interesting question because I think, yes, there is like importance to the physical nature of old magazines. The tactile is I really enjoy I think that brings a lot of joy. But I think it being a physical object that needs to be sort of like locked and printed ahead of time was really important. The fact that it's like asynchronous, so it's not trying to hit hourly deadlines. It's not trying to get news out in minutes. Yeah, it has weeks is really important for the way that they covered games and the way that we talked about games. But ultimately, like and I talked about this, I think on the Final Fantasy seven episode, just our last episode is I liked the way that like features were the big thing in a magazine, right, So you had a Final Fantasy seven review and that was the big feature, but then it was a trojan horse for getting all of that other content into your house. You know, you'd buy it for the Final Fantasy seventh feature, and then you'd read a preview of whatever game you know that you never even knew existed, and now all of a sudden you're like, hey, this game seems really cool. I never would have found it otherwise. And so I just really like, I've really think that that aspect, the trojan horse aspect of magazines that you know, you don't get to pick and choose, you don't get to just like, oh, I'm just going to click on these links. I'm not going to engage with this other content at all. You can skip through past pages. But like you and I both read magazines, uh, you know, cover to cover, But like there's a big difference between flipping past a page that still has that split second, yeah, to catch your attention, as opposed to like just not clicking links at all on a website you know do will Properly archived games websites still hit the same nostalgia wisest paper magazines do, yeah, because like there are kids who were twelve growing up with whatever one op dot com or any of their gaming sites, but also specifically like games media and games content like ty was you were just saying, is also YouTube videos, it's all podcasts, It's also all of those other things. And so you know, I get nostalgic going back and watching old episodes of One Up Show and that was digital content online. Properly archiving games websites to like maintain that experience, I think is a challenge because like it just doesn't happen, and archiving web content is hard, so you have like the way back machine or whatever. But like the interconnectedness of the web makes that's really hard, Like you click on links and then the links just don't work or you don't have an active forum behind it, and so like, are we gonna have a podcast in fifteen years where people like scroll through old like snapshots of the gia or whatever, like maybe, But I think that there's also a more of an in the moment aspect to the web that that just makes it a little bit harder to look at things as like all encompassing or like you know, like closed products that you can like look at and yeah, I can pick up a magazine and it's that magazine, it's in front of me. It's a whole complete experience the exact way it was before. And I think that's hard to replicate with like text based website stuff. I think that's much more relevant for like video based webs yeah, video game stuff, audio stuff. But yeah, I mean the nostalgia will always be there, because nostalgia is us like pining for the simpler days, right, Like, Yeah, as we get away from like games media even existing in the online space, people are going to be like, hey, remember when and like go back and look at old you know, like Kotaku stuff or whatever. Yeah, and you know what, there were so many great features. There's a million million features that were like too big or too long to ever fit in magazines on the web. You know, I wrote a big ten thousand word article or feature for Kotaku about like the overlap between phone fantasy authors and like RPG creators, and that just like that's never gonna get old, and so like, I think in some ways, it's not going to be like, oh, I'm gonna go look at this whole website. It's like, hey, here are these old articles that like had an impact on me. Let's look at them again. Let's bring them up, Let's think about them, see how they've kind of like aged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I well, first of all, I've been frantically trying to weigh back Machine next Generation's old website because I was about to wax philosophical about man, I would love to see this old interface again. And then I was like I could probably do something, but end up going back. And it's like, like web archiving is just really hard.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of times depends on technologies that don't exist. You know, whether it's it's graphics assets or you know that the wayback machine doesn't capture or it's flash stuff that obviously doesn't work. You know, it wouldn't have been captured anyway. So like there was a next Generation for a while had this really clean layout that looked just like the magazine right and it had in the same bons. It had some cool layout, just a cool UI.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm like, man, I would that nostalgia would hit for me if I could pull up that website exactly as it existed, I'd be like, damn, Yo, I remember this.
Speaker 1: I remember this.
Speaker 2: You know, go see the forums. You know there's like v Bulletin two point one or whatever. You know, certain forum layouts that will all you know, forum software that will always be like, Yo, spent so many hours on this forum like that that stuff does it does still hit. But as Aiden said, there is there is something you know, like I said, for me, like the next Generation, the first year and a half ish run had this thick laminated like soft touch layered textured cover.
Speaker 1: It was really thick and it felt expensive. It felt really cool.
Speaker 2: You're like, wow, you know, this is not toys. This is not in the kid's aisle. This is not something that you just give to kids thinking it's gonna get thrown on the floor on you know, wedged under the bed, right, like this is a real magazine for real grown ups and real smart people. And just by purchasing it and holding it in my little hands, I was a real big smart grown up too, right, So I think there was definitely an aspect to that, and just knowing you're gonna go back to it over and over and it's gonna be the same thing. Scans definitely hit because it's so close to you know, you're seeing images like I never in a million years would have remembered that if I hadn't seen it, And now I see it and boom comes rushing back right, and then there's there's other stuff frore. I'm like, I do not remember that, like the bird poop ad that aid was like, hey, ty, check this out, and the guy standing there with like fake bird poop all over him with the target still on his head like a shadow of a hawk above it or whatever, and like I didn't remember that at all, but I was gobsmacked by it. And then since then I've seen it twice more in other magazines while you know, looking for issues to cover, so like I, you know, it definitely means something. Would it have meant more if it was in my little hands? I mean, I think we are getting dangerously close into the oldest and most boring writer debate on social media, which is you know, books versus e readers, Like it really is really reading you're you're in the audiobook if you're reading on screen, like don't you even Like, hey, yeah, I love to go into an old used bookstore and have that smell hit me just as much as any other writer or reader, Right, that means something.
Speaker 1: But also I just love.
Speaker 2: Stories and if you put it in my brain, however you put it in my brain cool. I do experience a bit of a difference between audiobooks and physically, you know, reading via site just because how I read. But like, you know, for me, some of this gets into sort of like quasi fetishistic, like oh well it's not as real cool as the physical like it that stuff does matter. But I still we've been doing this whole podcast looking at scans being like yo, like everything else. So yeah, it still hits for.
Speaker 1: Me, and like what I think, I think there's an interesting point there too, is that like you know, you talk about scans of magazines, right, and that's where the sort of nostalgia comes from, or you you know, I open up a real physical magazine to look at it, because as much as possible, the original experience is intact exactly as it was in nineteen ninety five. The MAGA is literally the exact same magazine as I was reading nineteen ninety five. You know, I don't really talk about my day job a lot, but I my day job. I work for a museum, and I work in you know, like alongside digital preservation, and it's hard, Like it's hard to preserve digital assets. They take resourcing, they take computers and hard drive space, RAM and bandwidth you know, like internet bandwidth to access. Like it's it's a lot of work, but also specifically, like preserving the experience of looking at say two thousand and two era website like one op dot com on my fourteen forty p like like LCD or whatever monitor I'm using, it doesn't hit the same as when I was looking at it on my seventeen inch CRT monitor that it was designed to look, you know, to be read on, because it is letterboxed. It's like, you know, this wide on the screen. The text is all tiny, and so it doesn't like, you know, imagine that like we could get magazines, but they weren't really proper, you know, like they weren't really presented in the way that they were back then. That aspect of it, I think takes away some of the like emotional resonance of webs sites versus like something like a physical magazine, because the experience is changed, like as the technology changes the experience.
Speaker 2: See me and dragging my browser window back and forth between my vertical monitor and my horizontal monitors so I can see one page in its exact aspect ratio, all big and beautiful, or both pages of a two page layout at the same time as they were meant to.
Speaker 1: Be exactly, And so you know, I think the content is always going to be relevant. There's incredible work that's been published on the Internet about video games, and it will remain like such a valuable asset for research and for preservation of culture. I just think it's like harder to just experience digital stuff like websites in the same way that we are with magazines on this And that's why I make websites for a living. That's my job, and I just think that it's like they're more ephemeral in a way that makes it difficult, uh to preserve the experience as time.
Speaker 2: Especially as many great websites have been bought up and then wiped rather than bought up and just left you know, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, you know, on one of the episodes, we were looking at an ad for heat dot net, right, the like Sega thing. Yeah, and so I looked up heat dot net and it's like a generic WordPress site for like a HVAC company in Florida. Yep, that's what it is now, you know, And so you can go to the wayback machine and find some stuff, but like it also exists in a different form, which is just strange. Yeah, it's just from a from a preservation perspective, it's it's tough, really rough.
Speaker 2: It's tough, and I think, you know, depending on what you know, we're gonna look at different eras of games media for season two, season.
Speaker 1: Three, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Right, And there's kind of a scary window in the early to mid aughts where there's a lot of stuff that was published digitally a then vanished, you know, because you know, it wasn't part of a corporate conglomerate yet, or you know, maybe some of that. There are some ancient texts websites from the nineties that are still around because it was only ever one person and they maintained them. So there's some stuff that's perfectly time capsuled, and there's other stuff that's just completely gone and you never know until you go looking for it, which any particular thing you're looking for is something. These magazines still exist and we can go back and look for them. And yeah, looking at the Campus Life review of Final Fantasy seven that I couldn't track down, you know, I talked about it. It is just literally last episodes, so I won't go back into it too much. But it's like, Okay, I am now. I am in the middle of a gigantic academic research library at the physically biggest college campus in the world, one of the bigger undergraduate institutions in the world, Michigan State University, and I'm like, well, I have access to what looks to be about an eighty to ninety percent complete text only archive, where most of the issues have most of the text saved as text. But unless and until I can get my hands on a physical copy of every magazine published in late nineteen ninety seven or early to mid nineteen ninety eight. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna find that review, and I'm not gonna know if you know, I know, I didn't hallucinate it. I read some some somewhere, but like until I physically find that magazine, I'll never know. And that's you know, that's that that is meaningful, and that will always be meanings that will always be meaningful, that that got printed and was made a physical thing that mattered.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think you bring up an interesting point too, about like corporate content and websites and like archiving those versus like smaller websites. Like one of like the websites, like the first websites gaming websites that I was like always checking was it was called Icy Brian. All right, Ic Brian's RPG page still up. I'm gonna I'm gonna try to share it. Yeah, yeah, And it's like this is it Ice Brian's RPG page And like, I see Brian, I did it in twenty twenty two, Ellie, it had been twelve years, you know, but like this is like, you know, this is the site and he had like tons of game info about the games that I really loved, right, and I would like reference this all the time when I was playing sweak it into you know, this is this was last up we did in twenty or two thousand and two, right, And it's just still up there. And like, you know, he has linked to his like personal website and it's he's just a regular guy, just like me and you. But he keeps this up in the same way that I keep up you know, my blog, A Dribble Think, which I ran for a long time. Yeah, and it's still up and I'll keep it up as long as I possibly can because it is, you know, something that can be archived and is maintainable and sustainable for me to do personally, And so you know, maybe that's where the opportunity for nostalgia comes from. Like I do still go and check out the GA, the Gaming Intelligence Agency, Yeah, you know, when I'm trying to reference, like I was writing about Fon nine recently and wanted to go reference all the leakedon nine material, and the Gaming Intelligence Agency was the best place to get that. And it still existed and it's still up. Well maybe it's not up, but at least on the way back machine I was able to get access to it. But but yeah, so God bless the fans right making content and keeping it up there. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: I found it, and I found it a website. Yeah, I finally got one good snapshot. It took forever to load, but like, this is this is cool man. I use previews reviews, you know. I tried to replicate this with the cool little curves and stuff when I was trying to build websites and I'm like, oh no, I can't, you know, stock watching, but like John Carmack speaks.
Speaker 1: Yo, wait ah.
Speaker 2: The eve of the release of Quake three test for Mac oh Man. One of my favorite webcomics, like individual web comics of all time was The Penny Arcade where they had their Chuck character, who they like to make fun of because you liked Mac.
Speaker 1: Hey, you guys, think you have enough machine to run the new Quake three demo?
Speaker 2: And Tycho's like, I've got a Pentium three.
Speaker 1: It's like a tiny god.
Speaker 2: He's like, cool, Well, mine's great. Well see you, Oh why is it coming out on Mac? But yeah, like it's it's great that the way Back Machine exists. But hey, uh, the owner of the Internet Archive is a multimillionaire patent troll like like he trolls the concept of IP, right, he's like reverse instead of like I own the IP and I'm gonna sue everybody who infringes it, He's like, I'm gonna infringe every IP in the world and dare people to assue me? And very high profile thing a couple of years ago where he very nearly got sued right out of existence, right, So who it takes just the wrong lawsuit of the wrong stewardship of that, you know, and wayback machine is gone and the only serious attempt to archive the Internet goes away. I mean, you know, the Library of Congress has some of it stuff. But you know, it's tough. It's tough, It's gonna be tough. Absolutely, we should probably move on.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean this like, honestly, it could be a whole episode. It very nearly has been, and you know what, this might be something we also get into more in a future season as we do move into sort of the web era of games media at some point. Now, for the final question we have from Frozen Leroy Bob on Discord, how do you handle plane slash talking about problematic games like Cyberpunk twenty seventy like Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven with its awful transphobic marketing fetishization of trans individuals, and Hogwarts Legacy with all the turf stuff from rolling and all the controversy surrounding Harry Potter. How do we talk about games? I think I'm gonna jump in with an answer, But like you and I are pretty open about our criticism for stuff like, you know, anti trans content or anti trans creators. We're not really afraid to call that stuff out or talk about it when it comes up. We've noted, you know, transphobian old gaming magazines, and so I think you and I are pretty open books in our support for stuff like the trans community. And so when that comes up in games, a lot of the time, I just don't cover games like Hogwarts Legacy, and I just make no effort to try to incorporate it into anything I do, because I'm not interested in it. This might be like many people a big Harry Potter fan for a long time, but I think like addressing problematic content is important now, Like the nature of the show means we don't talk about a ton of like modern games outside of like how they are contextually relevant to whatever issue of a magazine we're talking, we're looking at. But you know, I don't think we purposefully shy away from difficult conversations when we need to have them.
Speaker 2: No, And I think it's it's it's a balance because you know, for me, I think it's very important to flag stuff as it happens. I think it's important to talk about honestly about the stuff that's out there and was out there, you know it. Like I said, the reason I showed and read that letter, like I'm I'm not super proud of that. It didn't age well, but it's a snapshot of the kind of stuff that was getting printed in the magazine at the time, the kind of stuff you know that I was reading and like, wow, this is cool.
Speaker 1: And I aspire to be that.
Speaker 2: I aspire to be approved by these people making this content. I like, you know, and there are parts of me at that time where I was like, I don't like some of this stuff, Like some of this stuff that's out there is gross. I don't like the grossest kid. I don't like you know that death trapped dungeon ad right, Like I didn't like being like that overtly marketed to in that way right, but then also like, oh, okay, like that character's pretty oh you know, like that that did happen, right, So it's like it's it's it's disingenuous for me to be like, oh, like I was out. My sense of what's cool and good was always dialed to like you know, twenty fifteen Twitter's idea of what was cool and good, Like that's not.
Speaker 1: I mean, we read a whole letter about how hot right he wrote it, right, So like there is like and you said you didn't want to share it, but it's there. It exists, Like not talking about it doesn't make it exist.
Speaker 2: And I think and I you know, and it's in a weird way, I'm proud of it too, where I'm like, hey, I'm fourteen.
Speaker 1: That wasn't the bad. You know, there was some good.
Speaker 2: Writing in there, right, Like you can see how I got to where I am now, right, Like it's like looking back at the good and at the bad at the same time. I do think there, like I said, there is a balance because it's like if you make the whole show about call outs, you know, first of all, we're not the people to make a whole show about the failings of games and games media and how they failed marginalized people because we are two white guys from North America, like you know, grew up middle class, you know, various descriptors of that term. We had access to all these games machines at the time. You know, we had access to all these magazines at the time. My mom spent more money on magazine subscriptions than, like I said, she subscribed as Sports Illustrated. For me, that was ninety dollars a year when I was in elementary school, which was a million years ago. That's like two hundred.
Speaker 1: Bucks a year today.
Speaker 2: You know, that'd be like we have twenty bucks a month type subscription like you know, so like we we have access and privileges, but we we are in solidarity with marginalized people of all stripes, and we try to be conscious of that and we try to call it out and stuff that's just so inherently toxic. I can't support I can't give jk Rowling a dollar. I'm just I can't do it, not gonna do it. I don't need to talk about it, I don't need to think about it. My not talking or thinking about it on this show doesn't stop the thing from being a success. You know, I'll call it out on social media, I'll call it out on other channels as well. You know, I can say this is bad and we shouldn't play it, But no amount of me injecting that into this podcast is going to stop it from being a thing. So it's it's a balance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like you know on fun Factor, we have total creative control over what we do. Recently, for mmoorpg dot com, I got to write a review or not even a review, just like an op ed about a vowed coming out on the PlayStation five. So it's an Obsidian RPG. I was always I was really excited about it, but it was only only came out on Xbox and like PC, Obsidian is a Microsoft developer, and so it does fall under the BDS boycott. Yeah, And so that was a big conflict for me about writing about that and trying to figure out how to write like thoughtfully and openly in support of you know, what the BDS boycott represents, which I believe in, while also you know, covering a creative work from people that I think are you know, intrinsically good people, and how boycotts overlap with a lot of that stuff. And so you know, I wrote in my piece multiple references to the BDS boycott and what I think are some of Microsoft's problematic elements, and it didn't make it into the final published draft, but you know, I still you still need to kind of like take your shot where contexts requires it, right, and so like, yeah, I don't know it, it's tough, but I think that there's an you know, you talk about how we're not the right people necessarily to like lead a charge on representing marginalized groups, right because we are two white guys. But I do think also recognizing where our privilege allows us to maybe say things that other people can't without fear of repercussion also, you know, does put a little bit of an onus on us. And you know, we'll get to a point where we're reviewing magazines that have Harry Potter content, right, Like we're pretty close to probably the first Harry Potter games because they came out on the PlayStation game Boy color and stuff, right, and so like we're getting close to a point where we will have to address something like JK. Rowling our relationship with Harry Potter, how that's changed. And I think just being honest, but not, like you said, getting too caught up in being a show about callouts or you know, getting too caught up in that and just also picking and choosing what we're covering. You know, like there are some YouTube channels that I really like that keep covering Hogwarts Legacy and keep using footage from it or doing like tech deep dives into it, And I'm like, I think we could pick a different game, Like, there's so many games out here. I think we could probably use something other than Hogwarts Legacy, And that bothers me, right, I don't think that like pretending it just doesn't exist is valuable. But I also think like not choosing the platform a game like that whenever possible is an important kind of court principle for both of us, for sure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely all right, I think that is all the questions that we have. This has been an outstanding set of questions, an outstanding episode. I think a lot of great stuff to think about, a lot of great stuff to consider it. We've got a lot of great stuff lined up as we speak. We are scheduling more bonus contents we wrap up this season. We are shaping up what next season is going to look like. We're going to stay on our content schedule every two weeks new episodes and yeah, so stay with us. Definitely continue to support us if you're able to fun Factor Ultra join these live streams. There are a ton of fun for us to do. They give us great, great content and I love the back and forth with the audience. Love to be able to have that kind of insight as we talk about it right and have that kind of energy. It's awesome. It helps us perk up our episodes a little bit because we know people are watching, right. It's not it doesn't evolve into just oh yeah, tian Aiden are just talking on zoom uh we forget that the red light is going, but yeah, no, and it's it's it's awesome. It's been great as this show has evolved over this first season to what it is now, it's going to keep evolving and hopefully keep getting better and better. With your support. Again, go to fun Factor pod dot com. You can go to all the socials from there, all of our channels. From there, you can get to the discord from there and get to a member ful and become a member all from there, and again, leave us a note anywhere on social media. We love to be able to do the letters section. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts Spotify, leave us a comment on YouTube. We love to read those, love to shout those out and can get.
Speaker 1: The little thrill, the little hit.
Speaker 2: Of dopamine from seeing your name or username in a show that you like. It gives us the little thrill, a little dopamine head of knowing people at watching and listening and paying attention and enjoying what we do because we enjoy what we're doing. It special thanks as always to Millennium Fou for all our amazing original music. Check out his work at Millennium falsk dot com.
Speaker 1: So hey, go to.
Speaker 2: Fun factor pod dot com. I promise you you cannot min to sign up with you on homepage. If you do sign up, you and we will have a maximum score in fun Factor. Hold on, sorry, I'm trying to get the layout back to where it's just the two of us. That's close, that's in the ballpark.
Speaker 1: But yeah, our millennial listeners are going wild right now. Oh yeah, and we just lost like half of our general All these zoomers are out.
Speaker 2: Well, the alphas are out. The zoomers appreciate it, you know, they know from strongbad a super intent, like like sixteen things are going in my head right now, my risk to Airton Senna, one of the greats. But anyway, yeah, basically one of the maybe the best driver of all time, had a crash where he bottomed out and lost down force in the middle of a corner and the car physically couldn't turn fast enough anymore because he wasn't sticking to the ground anyway. Uh yeah, okay, so we're on Claire to said no, wait I did, I did Niko, Okay, you're on Clay's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what about least joy? What do you got? Yeah, the least joy? Besides well, I guess you kind of opened with kind of opened with it, but yeah, I get I got like go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, like unlike these old magazines, you do not have to wait a whole month for your next installment. We drop episodes every two weeks.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 2: I was trying to edit this on the fly in my brain and I realized I've already covered all of this material. Uh yeah, okay, that as an episode there.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 2: Yes, great question, yeah, great question, like and we hit Likebulo questions usual, our usual time pretty much exactly when twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I said to you. I was like, I think this is going to be a short episode.
Speaker 2: The next short episode will be the first one.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.