Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jacob Salis. They have their Eye on the Ball on Tucson's sports stage shat Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I in the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, He's Jay. Now we have Ryan with breaking news.
Speaker 1: Lisis Eye on the ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen.
Speaker 3: Fifty started a little bit of news from it the men's basketball for Arizona. They announced the dates for the Red and Blue Showcase. The first one will be held October fourth at the Mchell Center and then the second event will be at the Desert Diamond Arena in Glendow. There's also a DJ party after the two sons event.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, Well, the keyword is the second one right there. So Arizona's going to do two Red and Blue games, one in Tucson and one in Phoenix, which goes to all they're trying to do, man, get get interest in the program, get people involved, find ways to make a little money. But they're doing a Red and Blue game up in Glendale.
Speaker 2: Right And when that came up, I'm thinking, what a great idea, and why didn't it takes so long?
Speaker 4: Exactly? Why an't you thinking that.
Speaker 2: Before I posted it, some people in Phoenix said, perfect for the cat fans up there, and you know, there's gonna be a bunch My problem. I just noticed now it's a Friday. It's a Friday, not a Saturday. So Friday Friday here, Friday there. And if we go, which I'm likely to go, it's not a Saturday. You know, you have to kind of get out of here early. You have to go.
Speaker 4: Well, the one in Phoenix is not intended for people from Tucson to drive up to Phoenix.
Speaker 2: But if you follow the team and you want to kind of do it, you got you go go to the one. I'm gonna go to both. What are you talking about, Well, that's your problem. It's not a it's not a problem. It's just like your decision. I wish, yeah, I wish it was gonna.
Speaker 4: But that one is for people up in Phoenix to go to that one, So they're not you know, sure they're not going to drive down here. Maybe they did before because it was the only one. Now that they don't have to, they can stay and go with the one up here, and more people in Tucson can go to the one here in Tucsa.
Speaker 2: I'm not worried about those people, Jay worried about me. And when I wish it was on a Saturday, I always hoping it was that that was a Saturday, such a I'm gonna I'm gonna bring that line out to you when I feel the same way. My point is, I wish it was on a Saturday because obviously it's going to be big here. That's not a problem here going up there to watch that, because it's it's in Glendale right where in Glendale? Didn't say at that at the Glendale Arena? Oh okay, okay, so cool, long time. It's easy for me to say a long time in coming because it's gonna be good.
Speaker 4: Cool, I am I trying to go yeah, well and yeah, I mean there'll be people here that'll probably go up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they're gonna go up. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It gives you a chance if you can't make it here and then.
Speaker 2: Right right right right, and chicken tickets are going to be cheap, yeah they are, well they are noways are.
Speaker 4: But again that that see that was not for you. You know, it's not you. You're not You're not the no yeah no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: But if you cover the team and you want to be part of it. I mean you gotta go.
Speaker 3: Yes, it says right here. Speaking of tickets, they will go and sell Thursday for ten dollars apiece and they can be purchased on the Arizona Wildcare. Yes.
Speaker 2: No, it's going to be success. More chances to get nil money to pay some bills. Those gms of football and those those people assistant coaches, YadA.
Speaker 4: YadA, the director of operations.
Speaker 2: Sure, listen, ten ten dollars and you get ten thousand people there. But it's money you didn't have before.
Speaker 4: Exactly, exactly. No, again, somebody's coming in with ideas that they didn't have before.
Speaker 2: Steam right, No, which is great.
Speaker 3: I switched over to Arizona Soccer. Their season got underway back on the fifteenth. They just had their home opener and they won five nothing over Pacific and Nicole Dan was named player of the week. She scored She's scored five of the six goals that Arizona scored in the first two games.
Speaker 2: Exactly, she was player of the week. And nationally, I think, right, I think it was a national.
Speaker 3: Thing, says top top Dwarf Suckers Player of the Week.
Speaker 2: I think it was a national thing.
Speaker 3: Switching over to college football, some news from Oklahoma State. They are starting they're going to be starting to wear these QR codes on the back of their helmets. That's going to be linked to the NIL Fund. Just another chance for.
Speaker 4: What are you supposed to see him on TV?
Speaker 3: And the that's what it says. So it says you probably won't be able to see it from the you know, if you're in the stands, you won't be able to see it, even if you're like first row. But it says if you're watching at home, you'll be able to be able to catch them on the screen because.
Speaker 4: You always five yard run. Send them deserves.
Speaker 2: Yet these things, look at these things that they're going to come up with, unbelievable.
Speaker 4: You and I aren't smart enough to think of that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, not at all. If anybody thinks of us having a great line or to send us money, I'll put a QR code on.
Speaker 4: Well that was funny, gig one. Right now, let's get a show back on YouTube and.
Speaker 2: We'll get some n I L QR code on your because you look much better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bet. I want to bet that there's actually somebody out there a tattoo somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Like well you remember back in the day, not too long ago, the Fighters had the they have yeah you know whatever, it was dot Com on on the back.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's sort to the w n B A. Just look at the news. As far as the viewership going, they had about a month off because of the Olympics, and the first game back with Clark, I had a viewership of one point two two million in a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah Sunday, right, yeah, I think it was Sunday Friday. I saw because I saw Sunday's game, and that was you could tell a lot of people Sunday game and it was a lot of excitement and all that stuff, and they put Indiana Indiana.
Speaker 4: You just keep saying it. Yeah, yeah, you just keep saying it, you know, regardless of what you think of her and why other players haven't gotten that attention while they just didn't. Just she's getting it. She's bringing that to the w n B A. Yeah, and instead of being a pain in the act or applaud her a little bit, because all she's doing is going out there and playing basketball, right, and there's an appreciation for that for whatever reason, just go with it.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I, you know, watched a few of the games now and uh, she she does kind of flop every now and again and kind you know, but she reminds me, this is a dumb dumb stay we'll say, Ben Maths. And every time you got out, it was I got gave the reps like, what the hell?
Speaker 4: Have been assaulted?
Speaker 2: Exactly? That's exactly what he was telling them. Every time that you would get hit, I've been some kind of felony was accused against me, you know, harmed against me because she does that too, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're the head snap.
Speaker 2: And yeah yeah bad. It was perfect for.
Speaker 4: That, putting on a show man. And that's what it's all about, all right.
Speaker 3: I think I guess maybe this was a different game. It says two point two million viewers and peaked at two point nine million. I guess the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people people are crazy about uh about her in the game.
Speaker 4: Let's see.
Speaker 3: I guess It's mover to some news right here for NFL, and Rogers is calling his Jets camp one of the most taxing in many years when I was taxing.
Speaker 4: Why because they made him work harder because he was actually in camp this time. He said it was tough, tough. Okay, big weedie, he's old. He is old.
Speaker 3: He is old, you know I really honestly, I hope he says healthy.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, look, it's it's like, you know what, He's one of those players that it's kind of more fun when he's out on the field and people are talking about him and he's playing, and you know, you'll get to have people who are going to root against him because they don't like him. You got people who for him because they do like him. So he makes it more interesting for sure. I think I think you got to give him that. I've come to not like him anymore because I think he's been a big baby and and he's got a little weird but what the hell, But you know, it is more interesting.
Speaker 3: The Little League Both series is currently going on. Cuba is defeating Mexico, I believe for nothing with the last time I checked. It's an elimination game too, so because yeah, that's one.
Speaker 4: I watched about five minutes of one, just in time to see a kid hit a grand Slam and he just thought he hit the ball so hard. Yeah, and I'm like, wow, that for Asia. Uh no, he was the US USA. It was the US game. I don't remember what teams they were. But was it over the weekend? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or was it?
Speaker 2: It was not the replay from the championship game last year?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, it was a game for It was a game from It was a live game, and you know, I like it. I turned it on base of loaded. Like the third pitch, a kid just goes big flash.
Speaker 2: Some of these kids and only the announcers kind of overstayed and used a lot of hyperbole for the kids. They're only twelve years old. Yeah, but there's a couple of kids I guess that that are fantastic. Yeah, some dude, some kid twelve year old and I didn't google it. Who's throwing gas? Gas?
Speaker 4: There's always one?
Speaker 2: And then he said he whatever, his chances was well pretty good if he doesn't burn himself out, throw his arm out.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, no, yeah, yeah, there's a yeah. I mean there's so much stuff about how hard people throw and how less durable they have become because of that.
Speaker 3: Right, I think I was. I had the game on a minute ago. I think there was one kid that pitched on like Sunday or something. He had like twelve strikeouts. Oh yeah, he pitched like five innings. Yeah, I's one teams incredible. Some injury news out of the MLB Orioles picture starting pitcher Zach e Flyn shoulder injury. He's gonna be going to the I. Oh so Baltimore's can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they struggle a lot, declined, Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Are well, I know what the Dodgers put Tyler the last now on the I l their best picture. Uh ten day, I L not. You know, he just got some tendon knights in his elbow. But you know, you start doing that, he becomes a little bit of a struggle. Although Max months he came back uh their basement and w yard last night in his first game back. So that was cool.
Speaker 3: How's the how you know West looking as it's still.
Speaker 4: Man, it's still very tight. I think the Dodgers still only two games up, even though they won last night. So I don't know, we don't know. It's it's gonna be. You know, it's not gonna be easy coming in. Yeah, I'm looking at the standings. The Yankees have slipped over the Orioles. So in the in the in the American League East. The Dodgers are what yeah, there are actually there are three games up on the pods, so Prodgers. Let's lost last night for them? Terrible? Yeah, go bad.
Speaker 3: That's not all I got for today.
Speaker 2: So I went there just on the Arizona Easy Desert Squirm White site and they had their poll, their their writers do their predictions for the year. So the consensus is pretty much eight and four. I think we kind of in that ballpark, right, Yeah, our guys Juan ten and two.
Speaker 4: I love one.
Speaker 2: He only he hasn't beaten Kansas State and he and he's kind of a pragmatic kid. Is he really is a smart He hasn't lose into Utah and to ucf uh and that's it, Okay, okay, good luck with that. The game, of course is Kansas State.
Speaker 4: That that's the one, and uh that that's the one you got to have. I think in order to win more than eight games, right, have a chance to win nine, you got I think you gotta beat either Kansas State or Utah and those are probably equally going to be equally tough.
Speaker 2: Sure, and back to back weekends.
Speaker 4: Right back to back weekends, back back weekends. Is there an off week in between those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not too sure. I'm not too sure. The one game that's consistently a loss, and I don't know because I don't know how good they are is you see a central and I don't know, are they good or just people?
Speaker 4: Well, well they're good, but it's a it's a long road trip.
Speaker 2: I think that plays a factor that I.
Speaker 4: Think people are factoring that in. So, yeah, the Arizona play as got actually a week in the day off between Kansas State and Utah. They play on a Friday night and then they're off the next weekend and then they go to Utah. So there, you know, they'll be able to come back and lick their wounds if they have them, but that can't you know, they Kansas State. The other thing is though that since the Kansastate games on a Friday night, but they still play the previous Saturday, so they really lose a day of prep for that. But then they get an extra extra they get an extra week and an extra day to get ready for Utah, which is good. You know, that's the start of the conference season.
Speaker 2: So our guy Devin, who got a job up in Kingman over the last week or so in daily some one of those kind of things is covering, covering, covering sports. He put it on Facebook. He has them going nine and three, kind of like us in Kansas State, Utah. And you see for the losses. Yeah, uh, seven and a half was the number, right, seven and a half or eight? Yeah, I got it at both. I definitely think it's going to be more than seven and a half.
Speaker 4: I got it at eight and I got it at seven and a half.
Speaker 2: Huh did I say you're a gambling man? Did I say that your honor the defense rests.
Speaker 4: I have to take that. I have to take that.
Speaker 2: Great, we've got we'll go, We'll go.
Speaker 4: All right, let's thank you very gay to come back. Arizona volleyball coach Tarita Stubbs will be joining us here in a few minutes, so stick around for that.
Speaker 5: The Window Depot is more than a windows store. The Window Depot is a one soft warehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model. Shop the aisles of pre built cabinets and a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware to complete your project. Need a custom order, we can help our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel.
Speaker 6: Today.
Speaker 5: Shop the window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doronta Rocket Materials. I needed a a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 7: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 8: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 3: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 9: On twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 8: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle So for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie So for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 10: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or come five two oh SIXE eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal housing Opportunity. Now that commitment to Lyndrix syn credit rates and available loan programs a subject to change with Numice.
Speaker 11: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: Gut bugs, termites, fees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management. Specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jagan Salez they have their Eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Big yet Fox Sports fourteen.
Speaker 12: Fifty streaming live.
Speaker 1: I mean, iHeartRadio wams Hey.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Jagan saw Now on the phone. We have Truda Stubbs, the Arizona volleyball coach. How are you, coach.
Speaker 6: I'm doing wonderful, having a great day.
Speaker 2: You must be very pleased. Guess why I'm guessing at least the season starts just around the corner.
Speaker 6: Yeah, super excited, super excited.
Speaker 4: So so you know, uh, you you had your first year last year, you know, just we'll say it was it was a tough year. But you know, how does that how does that set up your approach for this coming season? You know, what, what are the kinds of things that you're looking at that you know you need to do better that you think you did well. How how does that figure in what you're doing as you get ready for the season?
Speaker 6: You Last season was a new start first season. Everyone was excited about what was going to take place, was really looking forward to competing and doing well in the Pac twelve Conference. But we knew we had some deficiencies, having lost our setter who had set for three years, having lost out Lebero, who had been in Liberto for four years, so you knew you were going to have new bodies on the floor. So just making that transition was the biggest thing that we were trying to work at. So we had to do a lot of things in terms of competing and just getting ready there and ready to play. But after the season started going on, we knew that we had many deficiencies, and so my number one goal was to bring in some players that understood how to win and knew how to compete right away, versus having to spend time teaching that as much as we had to teach last year.
Speaker 2: We talked about that yesterday with football and high school kids coming up and what it all means, so, do you went in the portal and you grab some players.
Speaker 6: Yes, one in a portal and grabbed a young lady, Kiera Roby, who had been her last season at Florida State, and she just knew how to win. She was a complete, you know, competitor, and she was all over that and wanted to get some depth on a pen. So we brought in Amanda de Witt, and you know, just to have a depth in a gym is something that was really important because we didn't have a lot of viable competition last year in our gym.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what do you think you learned about yourself as a head coach last year? You know, particularly at a program that you're familiar with, you've been around a long time. You know, did you run into anything you didn't expect? And what do you pick up from last year to help you coach this year?
Speaker 6: You know, everyone asked me that question. What's the biggest change in going from assistant coach to head coach? And I don't mean this in a negative way, but the number of people to actually talk to me now that didn't necessarily talk to me in the past is the thing that has been the biggest change, But you are a wildcat through and through is always about winning and competing. So being able to talk to different people to kind of hear their input or hear their suggestions, or hear the blessings that they you know, still upon our program, that's really important to me. So it just made me even more hungry.
Speaker 2: That's very funny, though, stay away from me. I don't want to talk to you guys. That's very funny. So you probably have to learn. And even though as an assistant you know this is the time management, what to do, when to do it because of the extra time you have to spend with their administrators.
Speaker 6: Yes, I mean every day is a new day of some type of meeting or connection or networking that needs to take place. On top of making sure that this year all sixteen of my players are in a good place and that I'm monitoring my staff and my managers. And so what I do once a month is I'll take my staff out to eat and when you just sit down and we talk. Then take my managers out once a week, and I spend time with each of the players every two weeks, just getting to make or that we all stay on the same page. I don't like surprises, so I try to do everything I can to make sure I don't surprise anyone.
Speaker 4: Well, was all that a big adjustment for you? Because we've heard that that there are some coaches, you know, assistant coaches who who who you know, maybe aren't made to be head coaches. The adjustment is difficult, all the all the stuff that comes with being a head coach and you're you're not. Maybe it's not as much X as the nose as it is all the other stuff. What kind of how do you feel like you handled that adjustment?
Speaker 6: For me, it was really important to get people in to do the things that I wasn't strong at or things I just didn't enjoy doing. So it's all about comprising the right staff around you and allowing them to have the autonomy to do the things that they are specialized in, and you know, strategically going after people to fill those voids. And I think we've done a great job of that.
Speaker 2: We talked to Becky a couple couple of weeks ago. Are soccer Becka for weeks You'll need to get her season started with soccer. I'm curious because I answer this question too, is the game different in the Big twelve than it is in the PA Pac twelve in terms of finesse or strength or power.
Speaker 6: I think the one thing that's probably the biggest difference is is probably not as big of bodies, if you will, as it was in the Pac twelve, and so there was a certain athlete that we had a recruit to be able to stop someone who's six four six ' five that we don't. It's nice if you have them now, but it's not as pressing for it. I think the game is going to be ran a little bit faster in the Big twelve than it was in the Pac twelve, but that's just by nature of having smaller bodies going after it.
Speaker 4: How does that set up for you and the team and the roster that you currently have, You know, does it fit well with what you do? How much of an adjustment is it going to be for you as not only as a program, but in terms of the players that you have.
Speaker 6: Well, we went out and studied every team within the Big twelve and looked at the recruits they had coming in and looked at what their strengths were and what we thought their weaknesses were. And we think that we matched well with what we're going into. You know, there will always be a few pieces here and there that you need to navigate and add in, but that's by nature of the game. So I think that we are going to be in a good position in terms of our personnel in comparison to who we're playing.
Speaker 2: So that's said, because you said you went into the portal, how many new faces do you have on the roster?
Speaker 6: You know, honestly you didn't know that number, but I think it's seven. But Kre will be as new. Amanda the wit is new, and then we have a several freshmen that came in. But because Carly was here in the spring, I don't necessarily consider her new to us, but she's new to you.
Speaker 4: Okay, So as you built this team, you know, we asked this of you know, football coaches, basketball coaches, what kind of a team are you? What do you know, what do you feel like you're going to be great at? Uh? And and you know, what are the time the teams that you feel you match up well with.
Speaker 6: We're going to match up with teams that are ready to go fast and play the game and not slow down and run a slow pace. I think that we want to be known as a team that's going to compete from the beginning to end, and we want to be known for defense. It is one area that we definitely struggled in last year was our passing the defense, and so we've spent all spring and will contain the sprint spind all fall working and improving in that area. Because the better you are at passing, the more you'll be in system which allows you to run your faster offense, and which is what we want to do.
Speaker 2: So who do we look out for this year player wise?
Speaker 6: Well, this year on our team is going to be Carli Cisnero, Jalen Hodge, Jordan Wilsons, and Kiari Roby.
Speaker 2: Oh so you have a nice group of people you can rely on.
Speaker 6: Yes, we have the four most in Arizona history since I've been here. I think these are the or best middle blockers we've had at one time. We've had stands where we've had two and three. But I don't recall for one day gets back in town. I'll ask him, but I don't recall, or we've had this depth in the middle.
Speaker 2: Who knows what that will happen because he's on the on the bicycle tour, right, you know, but whatever got into him, well, we'll find out when he comes back.
Speaker 4: Speaking of that, speaking of it, do you are you do you lean on him a little better, you know, getting some advice from him, talking to him about how things are going, and you know, getting help from him or you just is he out there in retirement and not talking to anybody.
Speaker 6: No, he's definitely not giving up volleyball. He's in San Diego, close to the San Diego area now close today. But I do call him for things that are like completely out of the realm of anything that we've ever talked about, and there was probably something that he dealt with behind scenes, and so he's always forthcoming with me on that. But he's always willing to help out whenever. But he knows I'm a little steppering at times, so he doesn't ever want to overstep his boundaries.
Speaker 4: Right. Well, you're you know, you're a head coach in really a new era.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: We talked to Dave and he he liked the old era and didn't didn't really feel like he was set up to want to want to do things the way things have to be done. Now you mentioned the transfer portal, whether nil comes into play for your program. The movement of players. You mentioned seven new players, you know, the movement of rosters. Uh this you know even though you've been around a while, you know you're a new head coach. It's a new era for you. Are you liking how things are developing? How do you how do you? How are you approaching on that? It's like, it's not up to me to like it. This is the way it is.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, obviously there's a love hate relationship because there is a way that you know, you did things and this is how it got done and it worked well, and you want to kind of rely on that. But in order to compete in this day and age, you have to change with the times. And unfortunately or fortunately, depends on the mood I'm in, is always going to happen that way. And so that's part of having the right people around you on your staff where you can you know, get in on those little things that you may miss so you can't relate to. But I have a sixteen year old and soon to be twenty one year old at home, so they keep me at bathe of what is what is and what is We.
Speaker 2: Hear you yeah, we both hear you that one. Right. We're talking to Treta Stubs, the Arizona volleyball coach along those lines, how are you handling nil? We had a coach up Adiya Barnes on a couple of months ago and she lamented, you know, I don't know how to compete with the big boys. You know, the LS shoes are making millions from this. She's got a one hundred and fifty two hundred thousand dollars budget and it just it's just like us being on a treadmill to nowhere.
Speaker 6: You know, it's hard. It's hard, and you know, the key is to go out and recruit the kids that want good. So one of the things that I've found with females and especially in volleyball, the goods more important than a fund. So it's getting to know different people at restaurants or car dealerships and say hey, what can we do together where it doesn't involve exchanging money as much as it is good getting you know, Cairo cryo, sorry, getting your eyelashes done, your hair, your nail sounds like that. That goes a long way in our sports.
Speaker 4: Instead of having money for that stuff, you get services that makes a lot of sense, do you do you find that? You know, when when you're talking about volleyball players or getting that type of stuff, how you know how difficult is it? And you know when you see that, you know there's a softball player at Texas Tech is getting a million dollars, or you see you know, football and basketball players you know getting you know these things. How are volleyball players you know themselves handling all that and just kind of accepting the spot that they're in because volleyball isn't a revenue generating sport like football or basketball.
Speaker 6: Our city is a little bit different because at Nebraska, you know they're doing it, but he's won a lot and he's put himself in a position to be able to go to the community and get those funds. I do believe that we could get more of the community if our voice was louder in that realm and just going out. So I spent all last spring just going out and raising as much as I could so that we can make sure our kids were here this summer. And you know, the community met me exactly where I was, So I'm very appreciative of that. But you want to continue to do it, and I continue to, you know, harp on with our players. That is about giving back to the community. I never want someone just to give us something and they get nothing in return. I don't think that's who I am as a person, and that's not the type of program I want to run.
Speaker 2: So to our listeners, how can they help you? If they feel so inclined, where would they go?
Speaker 6: Well, if they have a business, I would immediately ask that they would join in on our all in collective that we have over at friends the Woolburn Wilma. Make sure they use all in volleyball, and then those funds go to help our athletes get those little perks and you know, little things that will make them happy versus having the funds directly.
Speaker 2: You've been around for a long time. I mean it's hard to even talk about it because we're two old dudes here, right, We're two old dudes. We've been here for a long time, and we don't even we can honestly say we don't like it because it's changed, right, and we're not even bold. So God bless you guys, bless your coach.
Speaker 4: Well, it's one one of those things, right of being a head coach. That you got to get.
Speaker 2: In the middle of You know, this is not what you're barking for, at least in my mind. Yeah, it's not. Thank you very much, coach. We appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Have a great day.
Speaker 2: We'll see how they do here in the next two year. It should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Second year in Yeah, you know again, every coach has this right right, right, right right. You know we've talked to the swimming coach, the golf coaches. Uh, you know, these coaches are in a tough spot. Sortsn't bringing in a bunch of money, right, so you know what do you did?
Speaker 2: Well? You we heard stoops, right, stoops. I gotta do this now because I can't now I can't coach because I'm doing this stuff.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: I feel for you, I feel you. But you got to do it, and that is part of it.
Speaker 4: That's part part of the job. Now, you got to accept that the job description for a head coach does.
Speaker 2: Change, right right, Okay, let's come back after the break.
Speaker 4: All right, well, break, we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 7: Hi, this is formal while get Leman Huntley with Arizona help imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, in your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and free rate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with corret equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second and will not Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 13: Ready to say but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Bedroom Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today. Been really insured and CUA? Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 8: A Team Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts for.
Speaker 4: Over twenty years.
Speaker 2: We want you to join the Action.
Speaker 8: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part time job or a second income. Come be a part of a winning team. The A Team apply online today at a Team security dot net.
Speaker 12: Stre Live.
Speaker 1: I mean, iHeartRadio WAFT. This is on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacob Salez Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Win the Ball Hero, Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, You're Jay've got Brian with us. We've got eighteen minutes left on this segment, so plenty of time for calls any of that. Uh so good, good to talk to coach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, see what's going on.
Speaker 2: I thought your question of of how she's gonna be different maybe or for the second year, right, because it was not a good year, and well, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Didn't go on and they had some you know, personality issues and stuff like that. And again, you know, when you have a new coach and somebody who's been around a long time leaves, you know, there's a big adjustment. Often even if. I mean, she was an assistant to Rubia for a long time, but she's not Dave Rubio. Oh yeah, that's that's what you That's what happened.
Speaker 2: And they've got out exactly how you wanted to get out at the right time. One of the things that that struck me, and I think I asked her, Oh, I know, I asked her about what we talked about with with the ad studia. But at the PEMA, Yeah, h coaches are gonna go volleyball, football or whatever. Are gonna go transfer portal route rather than the JV right or the junior college college right high scho They're gonna look for people who have experienced and and what's the job of the coaches to win?
Speaker 4: To win and get have the best players that fit what you're trying to do.
Speaker 2: You're measured on your success and and why do why wait four years? Wait three years?
Speaker 4: That's why when you see somebody like what's his name, Dabbo Sweeney Okay at at Clemson say I'm not doing the transfer portal, Well, you're closing off, uh a source of good players to keep to stay to your principles, right right, Well, you know there's players out there that can help Clemson, and to not even consider them just because they're in the transfer portal as opposed to coming out of high school.
Speaker 2: It seems crazy to me, because no, I got I kind of agree with you. If that's the case. Is that still happening? He's still noting.
Speaker 4: He just says I'm not doing the transfer.
Speaker 2: For more power to him, because I guess he believes or betting on himself to get the kids prepared, right, But it's not the Clemson program that we used well, right.
Speaker 4: And here's the thing, Steve, he said, I'm just gonna get high school kids. I'm going to develop them. But what happens when you go get this high school kid that you think you're going to develop and he leaves after year one because he didn't get developed enough. Well, then somebody else, right, and somebody else benefits from that. And then you go get another high school kid. And is that other high school kid or a walk on whatever, better than a guy you can get out of the portal who's played. I'm telling you, I can't wait to see this running back out of New Mexico Cory Krossky Mari play because everybody says this guy's the real deal. Screwed that he was at New Mexico last year. He's the real deal, and I want to see how real deal he is. But I feel like, is he a better option than a kid who was in high school and going to the prom at this time last year?
Speaker 2: You know, well, you'd think you think, no, he is probably not. He's a man, yeah, right, and he's been through the deals of details. No, I agree with you. In fact, I don't know how I would feel. Maybe a little debo, but a lot of transfer.
Speaker 4: Again, you just need to say, I'm gonna go get the best players I can get, whether that's in the portal or whether that's a high school kid.
Speaker 2: And there's no doubt that he can do that, or even a junior college because he's at a good school.
Speaker 4: Right with Yeah, I'm sure there's guys in the portal who would love to go play.
Speaker 2: Well, that said that said, Uh, that said that was used analogy I'm not gonna use. He's sticking to his principles and either it's gonna cost him his job or it's not right. But we think we'd probably do it differently. But but he's doing it his way, and he's pretty good.
Speaker 4: He gets to do that. He's you know, he's a he's a proven code. She's got some national championships. Short you know, you're gonna say, you know, if you're the Gant administration, you're gonna say, all right, you know, we gotta trust him because he's done a great job here. But again from where we said, you think why you know why, It's like you're saying, I'm gonna get players, and I know there's some good players in that neighborhood over there, but I don't want to go into that neighborhood and get those guys. I'm gonna get my guys from this neighborhood over here.
Speaker 2: My way is gonna work under whatever you guys say, I'm gonna I'm gonna do them, by the.
Speaker 4: Way, right, it's crazy, crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, and then she talks about we asked about the Dia Barnes thing, you know, and I thought that was brilliant too. Well, you you bro, We had coach guy on here yesterday and we talked about it with here. One of the special things about Tucson, and I asked you, where do they rank among the programs? And he says, well, they have accommodations, good meal plans, blah blah blah. So instead of nil cash the given sentence right.
Speaker 4: Because it was fine because she said, you know, like getting you know, yeah, you're getting nails done costs money and that's if they don't have to pay for that because they've got an nil deal, then great, that's it might as well be money. Right, So uh no, you know that, and maybe that's the way some of these other programs do that instead of handing cash over. Okay, you know, give us some services. Let me come in on a on a Sunday afternoon or whatever, and you know, get my nails done or my air done, or you know, get a car wash or whatever whatever it might be. Yeah, then that then that's rare because that's if you're going to use those services anyways, then that's money.
Speaker 2: Well anyways, well, who do we have on a week or so ago? But we've I've heard a thousand times you have two back in the day, they didn't have money because I asked all the time, you were born too late, right, talked about that and how many of the guys would have said pizza hudskivens a pizza back in the day.
Speaker 4: I'll take the pizza.
Speaker 2: I'll take the pizza. I don't have anything right now, honestly, Yeah, yeah, we are two thousand.
Speaker 4: I mean you you're you remember the oldest when we used to be able to go into the locker rooms, right, each player would get a pizza, They'd order a thousand pizzas, and everybody would walk out of the would walk out of the locker room, whether it was basketball or football, with an entire pizza. You know, that was you know, that was signed up sort of a postgame meal for him, and it was a whole pizza.
Speaker 2: Now the guys could buy a franchise, Yeah, some of them them. You have private jets ready for them exactly. Well, what a time to be a college student student athlete.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're good, if you're good, if you're good. Anyways, you mentioned, uh Dabblesweeney doing things his way. So Justin Spears just posted his notes from from today and he he's got a Q and A with I must have been from the press conference. Maybe not, maybe he got some time with him alone, but he he asked a bunch of questions. One of them was, how about an open practice for fans to attend because practices have been closed. Uh and let me read what he said.
Speaker 2: I guess is it with Brendan?
Speaker 4: Yeah? With Brandon, it says, well, we've done that the first few months. Then as it goes. For me, I'm always trying to figure out one of our main standards for the team, which is to protect the program. When we do that, there's a lot of information getting out there from the practice environment that's not going to serve us. Have to make determinations on how to corral that. So that would be why. But we've had a big group of donors at every practice so far as it's training camp, and that's been positive. Early on in camp, we've had a lot of fans. People have had a lot of access to our program. I feel pretty good about that. But he's closing it down. He's closed it down and and fans, you know, the practices are no longer open.
Speaker 2: Anybody listening can give us a call. And because I've seen it on Twitter with the media can reporting. Mostly they're upset the reasons why, But there are people saying why not. I mean, that's his program whatever, But people upset this. They should be telling people what's going on?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: What do you what do you sit because you're you're you're a fan and and you're and you're kind of a journalist.
Speaker 4: I've never mind when coaches close practice, you know, because I've always believed it was for you know, as he says to, you know, to protect the team, you know.
Speaker 2: To Okay, what does that mean?
Speaker 4: That means that people can't see what you're doing? Right, Connor Stallions, Dude, Connor Stallions, I have two words.
Speaker 2: If you could kick my ass and I know what you're doing, you can kick my ass.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But still, you know, a first year coach at a program where you know, there's so much technology and stuff that people look, that's people. People knowing stuff about you helps. Otherwise, Michigan would have sent Connor Stallions out there to be scouting games because because it works, it does work. Why do you think they watch hours and hours of film because it helps.
Speaker 2: Well, And that's what's the difference between that and going to a practice. Yeah, I think it's a little paranoia, but that's for me.
Speaker 4: Well again, you know, over over time, practices were closed here and I didn't have a problem with that. Well, but you know that fish came and opened it up. But why did he do that because he had to rebuild the interest in the program, you know.
Speaker 2: And so but here's the issue. And a month ago we were talking about this where they're gonna pay at Alabama Ohio standard but charge them twenty bucks to go see it open and they were gonna sell out right right, because that's how much interested they had him open here. How many people showed up twenty Yeah, forty Yeah, because we were we were there there, there weren't there may be fifty sixty people there. Yeah, maybe in a good day. Yeah, So okay, I get it. There's not a whole lot of fan interest even at the practices that we went to on a Saturday. Yeah, that side of the field was not very I don't.
Speaker 4: Have an issue with that as much as they have the issue with them shutting down the media. Yeah, from talking about practice. Totally agree with that. That's crap.
Speaker 2: Totally agree with that. Did it shut it down?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that they say you can come to the practice, but you can't talk about what you see. That's really that's difficult. That's that's difficult a fan. You know, you don't know who's watching. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the issue. You go and you're an over zealous fan, right, and you have a way with the computer or the tea, your little friend. Oh, I went to practice day, I'm I'm Joe Schmoet, and this is what I saw. I get that, I get that I saw, and this is what I saw. This guy was running. This was not a guy running. So he's become a reporter too. Everybody's become a reporter.
Speaker 4: Now, and I think that has has probably as much to do with it, because you get it. Back when Mike Stupid was closing practices, they didn't have that right, right if somebody was recording your practices. They were doing it from afar with the video cam. Sure, sure, and you knew they were doing it.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what Dick Tomy would say now, they would have never been able to pull off the David eld just think exactly, and because they don't have an agreement with the people in the stands exactly.
Speaker 4: But also at that time, fans didn't have the outlet like social media, and that's go on and say this is what I saw and that's my point, that's what I want to say, And now they do, so I don't know. Look, it's six to one a half dozen of the other. I can see in your first year when you've got the advantage of people not knowing as much. If they want to see what you do, they got to go look at Santaose State film. Well, the Santose State film doesn't have no fafita, you know, and and team AC running routes for that or the kid from New Mexicoo or the kid from exactly. So I don't have an issue an issue with that. It'll be interesting to see if he does this again next year. He says, we're not, you know, opening practices, or I think burn't practices open at the very beginning, and then they closed him down and they said no more. You know, fine, you know, people got a chance to go out and see this A little bit.
Speaker 2: On the scale, a big deal. How old you rank at that? About a three of a ten of ten? Yeah, that they closed because of the way they did it or the media you mean, or no, that.
Speaker 4: They close practices because I think Arizona still is in a position where they still want to be generating and just let people touch and feel and see see the team. There's a lot of excitement, uh and fans, you know, the fans are gonna come out to the games, but they're still pant fans out there who are skeptical.
Speaker 2: Okay, so so let's just because you know these guys. I know these guys, uh, because we've been in this business low time. Oh and their boosters that are going to these practices, right, hey, Jim, Joe, what's going on? Yeah, you know what they're gonna do. They're gonna tell you that's what this course.
Speaker 4: But if you're Joe Schmo and you're not the booster that's out on the field, you really don't get a sense of it. Well, yeah, they ran some places. Team actors you know, goes yard all the time, they run this reverse or whatever.
Speaker 2: Just who you want to go watch the games? The dudes in the stads, right.
Speaker 4: And maybe they're gonna go because they didn't get to see it at practice. There's a lot of ways of looking at that, Steve, Right, Okay, Now I got to go to the games because I didn't you know, I don't know what the hell is going on because I'll go to the New Mexico game to see how they look.
Speaker 2: How how with them? And Bill's gonna hate me? Hell with them because they don't let me go watch practices.
Speaker 4: There's that too. Yeah, there's gonna be people who said, well, screw you. SYS wouldn't let me come and see practice. You're not buying a ticket. You're not fan friendly, right, I'm not buying a ticket exactly. I mean there's so many ways we can go. And then again, in the end, if they win, they'll show up. People will show if they if they if they win three of the first four. Okay, how many people are gonna get the Texas Tech game?
Speaker 2: Oh for a bunch? Forty eight thousand, forty eight forty nine, Yeah, thousands, a whole lot.
Speaker 4: It is it's yeah, it's a it's a it's a later game.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a later game. They'll be they'll be nice.
Speaker 4: And I think it's an eight fifteen game.
Speaker 2: Oh then then it's too late.
Speaker 4: No, maybe we don't know that.
Speaker 2: I think it's too early because it's it's uh.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, No, it's too We were talking about it. There was a bad there was a late it's a late basketball game. No, what is it? No, we saw something on the schedule because we were talking.
Speaker 2: About thirty Its way a month late in advance.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a football game.
Speaker 4: What do you mean. Yeah, oh, super Now Texas Tech. Texas Tech is still a TB eight time.
Speaker 2: I would assume so because it's still late into.
Speaker 4: The only games they have times for our the first three three.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so the thing is too and then you got and again Bill, just too. It's like Goldilocks. It's too hot, it's too late.
Speaker 4: It's to this.
Speaker 2: Generalization.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you are generalizing. There are all a bunch of weenies. You're not.
Speaker 2: But you know that's just the way it is. If you win, they'll come. If you don't, well, when's basketball start?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: When's the Red Blue getting?
Speaker 4: God? All right, let me read one more thing. Justin asked him. At this point in training camp, is the Arizona where you want it to be? Brendan said, I think we're in a great spot. I really do. I think we have work to do and I'm glad we have two weeks of practice left. This stretch right here was a tough stretch. We had six practices in seven days. That's the grinder part of camp. And I thought our players did a great job. They showed up for camp and are in great condition, in good shape. I think coach Carolyn is staff did a great job preparing for that. Then our coaches are are coaching the heck out him and spending every hour of the day trying to do whatever we can to improve our team. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, to me, that was coach speak. We gotta get better. We got two weeks and you got two weeks. I said, no, we're perfect. Werena, We're ready to play today.
Speaker 4: You're not hear.
Speaker 2: But guess what you have to fill your notebook?
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 4: You do? He's got he's got to write this stuff, you guys. Unfortunately, these guys have to write a lot with a little.
Speaker 2: I just did a thousand words story for you, saying the same thing.
Speaker 4: A few times. You know. I took that out.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, did did my uh oh that's skilthier. Okay, my line in in the There was a little bowl game. No, no, no, no, there was one. There was one about catching the night lightning in a bottle.
Speaker 4: I might have left that. I don't know. I don't remember editing your stuff.
Speaker 2: There's one year.
Speaker 4: That's the funny thing, because I said, here and we're doing all this and we're talking to me, then I'm I'm like reading your stories and saying, well, that's crap, it's really good. Well, that's really good.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like the show. This guy like the show get piss out that gets removed editor, Well you get it along line.
Speaker 4: Everybody needs they don't pay me enough to do it. I can tell you that right now listening. I hope Steve I need. I need a bonus for when I edit Steve Store hazard. Definitely the hazard to my to my brain.
Speaker 2: Okay, calls today, We've got tonute tomorrow, we have your last show here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll be here tomorrow. I'm still working on guests for tomorrow, and then you're in charge Thursday and Friday.
Speaker 2: Friday. I'm not sure how thing on Friday. Uh, the week one's a good yeah yeah, show with just me and Ryan and maybe maybe I'll get maybe with some of them, maybe Kenny will be loft in or somebody will say yesterday, okay, yeah, anyway, so.
Speaker 4: All right, one more day Steve Days gone down close.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it. I don't know if I'm gonna have any of my buddies coming from New Mexico to come to the game, because they're not getting good and we'll see him this weekend, right, Yeah, so we'll see the excitement maybe just to come down and once in play. Still he is favored in that tempo point yeah, something like that.
Speaker 4: That's a lot. That's a lot when you're playing a cool Yeah, that's that's that's quite a bit. I'm looking this up right now to see what it is. I told you new now told you he did get it. He took I saw that he was a finalist. He did get he did get the junk. All right, we'll have to we'll have to get him on again, remember us well big.
Speaker 2: Time whenever's place the Houston in the big twelve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe we get him on. Yeah, that'd be a good one. Yeah, good okay, yeah, uh the line now is eleven ten and a half eleven.
Speaker 2: Well that means that would be enough.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, well thanks everybody.
Speaker 4: That was fun, good good show today. Thank you for a treat of Stubbs for joining us today. And also Philip Stewart, he was a lot of fun. The Marana football coach. He was all right, we'll be back tomorrow. Se year round.