Speaker 1: Something you should go Something you should know is brought to you by Genesis goold ira dot com. That is also something you should know. You could put your retirement plan on the gold Standard. Learn more and get a free gold and Silver guide at Genesis goold ir a dot com. Excited to have a guest today from the USPS. We have Eric and we're going to talk about snamp out Hunger. And this is a food drive that you guys do through the United States Postal Service. And it's sneaking right up on us, isn't it, Eric, It is.
Speaker 2: It's coming up very quickly. Saturday, May tenths. It's always the second Saturday in May, and this year falls on the tenth of.
Speaker 1: May, so May tenth is the day now if people would like to participate. You make it really easy to stamp out hunger. All we have to do is get the food and get it ready, and then when you're out doing your rounds, you guys pick it all up, don't you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so you'll probably be seeing a postcard and a bag the week leading up to the tents and you can take that bag, and however, and many other bags you have laying around your house filled them up with non perishable grocery items and put those next to wherever you pick up your mail, whether that's the box by the street, the box on your house, the apartment lobby, or your centralized box unit. Wherever you pick up your mail, set out that non perishable, those food items, and we'll pick them up right around Saturday the tenth.
Speaker 1: Nice, let's talk about the dos and don'ts of stamp out hunger, because there are some things that we want people to leave, but there's probably some things we don't necessarily want left out too, don't we Right.
Speaker 2: So we obviously we want non perishable items. We want we don't want anything that would require any refrigeration. Also, we want to steer away from glass containers because we have to pick up a lot of food and you know, we don't want we want a few accidents as we can with glass, but otherwise you're basically just putting out whatever you would pick up for yourself. But we want to focus also on kind of high protein items high you know, meals in boxes, canned meats and proteins and stews, cereal. Also, peanut butter is a high demand item because there's a lot of kids at home during the summer. You know, without the benefit of the school lunch program, that that would have nine months out of the year. So we want to think about what kids would need when they're home, you know, they're not in school.
Speaker 1: And if you're doing a jar of peanut butter, make sure it's a plastic jar, not a glass jar. And then exactly and again, cans of things are great. Boxes of things are great, but don't put a gallon of milk in there, because that's not gonna that's not gonna stay very well, very long. Well yeah, but again it's a lot of the time, I think people can probably figure out what what makes sense and what doesn't make sense. And the reason we're having this chat so early because again it's coming up on May tenth, it's a while from now, but I thought, if we if we visit with you this early, you know, there's probably a few people going to be hitting the grocery store between now and then, and if you see some items on sale and you go, hey, I'm going to grab a few of those for me and a few of those for stamp out hunger, this would be a really nice way to prepare rather than finding out, you know, the day before the event and then you're just you know, digging through your cupboard trying to find things. We're giving you some time to plan for it and again stamp out hunger. This happens all over the nation on the same day, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a nationwide drive. A lot of the communities in South Dakota, throughout South Dkota are also participating. Suit Balls has been a part of this from the beginning and it's close to this has been going on close to thirty years now.
Speaker 1: I love that. And we have folks that listen online from all over the place, so they probably do it in your neighborhood. But be watching your mailbox for that postcard because if you see that postcard, for sure, do it. If you don't see it, you might just have cans of stuff sitting next to your mailbox for a while. That would be kind of weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's okay. But if we see that food out there, we'll pick it up and get it where it needs to go. And keep in mind that all donations stay local. So wherever you're hearing this message, if you have if you're participating in the food drive, whether it's suit Balls or Brookings or you know other smaller community throughout South Dakota. That food will stay at your nearest local food pantry to help those people in your neighborhood.
Speaker 1: I love that. Thank you for doing what you do. And you know, I've got several family members who currently work or have worked in the postal system, so I appreciate even maybe more than the regular person, what you guys do. And again, this is one of those things every year that I think is an amazing thing. Stamp out Hunger. It's coming up on the tenth of May, and our guest today, Eric is with USPS. Thank you for your time, sir.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you for getting lowered out.
Speaker 1: Absolutely and if you would like to participate, they make it easy. Just look for that little postcard in the mail that'll be your reminder to get stuff ready to go, get it out and ready to go for the tenth of May. All of the details at Facebook dot com, Slash Sunny Radio and Someday you should know. Something you should know is brought to you by Genesis gooldira dot com. Put your retirement plan on the gold Standard. Get a free gold and Silver guide now at Genesis gooldra dot com.