Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is big news.
Speaker 1: This is the arrest of Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Hannah Dugan. This is the first publicly known instance of the Trump administration going after a local official for interfering with immigration enforcement.
Speaker 2: This is kind of what people.
Speaker 1: Have been warning about the Trump administration, that they are going to use their power to go after different branches, different private people. And I mean, you could make the case either or if this is a private person who is not biding their agenda, not.
Speaker 2: Going along.
Speaker 1: FBI Director Cash Bettel, if you're keeping track, said yes, a bureau has arrested this judge and charged her with obstructing an immigration or arrest operation last week. This first announcement, by the way, came on X. To your point that the President's been using social media to make big announcements or announced big reactions to big events that are going on globally. This announcement was made on X Initially.
Speaker 3: Listen, it's an acknowledgment that the media landscape is different than it was five years ago, ten years ago, but.
Speaker 4: It still doesn't ring.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make me comfortable that that is how our federal government has been working. The other story is similar to this. ICE agents arrested a former magistrate judge out of New Mexico. They are involved in a case. They being the judge and his wife. They're involved in a case where alleged Venezuelan gang members were staying on their property. Two of the three men apparently on the property were taken into custody this week, and they had to do this search warrant on the former judges property. So they're not messing around and any judge or anybody it seems that has been harboring what ICE is described as violent criminals, They're going.
Speaker 4: To go after them pretty quickly. This is going to be a headline throughout the course of the day to day.
Speaker 1: Just to get into the specifics of what's going on with the Milwaukee judge. This is according to reporters with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. ICE agents arrived in the judges court room last Friday during a pre trial hearing for Eduardo Ruiz, a thirty year old Mexican national who's facing misdemeanor battery charges in Wisconsin. The judge asked the agents to leave and speak to the circuit Court's chief judge. By the time they returned, the guy, the Mexican national, had left. So Patel wrote in his post today, we believe Judge Dugan intentionally misdirected federal agents away from the subject to be arrested in her courthouse to evade arrest. That she sent them away so that she could get in the way of an Ice arrest.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That is not going to go well. It's not going to go well for either side.
Speaker 1: It looks bad that the judge is trying to thwart ICE's arrest procedures. And it looks bad that it's the Trump administration arresting judges that rule against what he wants.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's bad both ways.
Speaker 1: This is the kind of stuff that happens in other countries where the government goes in and sorts arresting judges. Yeah, and judges subverting any sort of powers that be when it comes to the administration's agenda.
Speaker 4: And I don't well, I mean, this is one of those things that.
Speaker 3: The way this administration in the first hundred days of Trump's second term, the way it's been defined by a number of court battles that have gone both ways. To be honest, I mean, most recently, there have been several hearing, several decisions i should say judicial decisions that have gone against the administration. But there are plenty where Trump feels completely vindicated their decisions to you know, the Supreme Court. As the example, when we talk about the guy that was arrested in Maryland and sent to this prison in El Salvador Abrego Garcia. The lower court had suggested that they need to facilitate the you know, repatriation or whatever term you want to use of this guy, get him out of El Salvador and bring him back to Maryland. And then the Supreme Court's decision, which was basically a slap on the wrist of the administration suggesting that yeah, you do need to do something, but that the lower court needs to go back and to define what it means to facilitate the return, and the Trump administration using it as a victory, taking a victory lap on something that really wasn't a victory for them.
Speaker 4: It's this very weird thing.
Speaker 3: It seems like the courts are working the way they're supposed to, that the branches of government are doing the checks and balances that were originally designed by the Constitution.
Speaker 4: That's the way it's set out. It's just one of those.
Speaker 3: It's the most active checks and balances I think we've seen in one hundred and fifty years.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, the NFL Draft kicked off last night. To my goodness, everybody's bracket was shattered when Travis Hunter was selected that early. That was the guy we talked about that wants to play both sides of the ball, wide receiver and cornerback. Obviously very talented. But that was a shock. And not a shock was Dion Sanders kid dropping out of the first round. We talked about the probability of that.
Speaker 2: I think the.
Speaker 1: Anticipation over the draft kind of ends after round one. You got to be a real fan to get weedy and get into well second round maybe not so weedy, but as you get into the weekend.
Speaker 4: If you're still if you're still paying attention late Saturday night.
Speaker 1: What I like to do is on Sunday, look at the Chargers and the forty nine ers and look at everybody they got, and then start doing my homework and seeing and seeing what's what Tonight. The Dodgers are back in La. Take on the Pirates first pitch at seven. Listen to all the Dodger games on AM five seventy LA Sports Live from the Gallupin Motors Broadcast Booth and stream all Dodgers games HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports all.
Speaker 3: Skemes against Yoshinobu Yamamoto should be read, Wow, what a great.
Speaker 1: That is a game I will maybe watch.
Speaker 2: I saw something else.
Speaker 1: The reason I brought it up now I'm remembering about the NFL draft is Deon Sanders's kid. Did you hear about the draft room that he had made or.
Speaker 2: See the pictures? Okay?
Speaker 3: I saw an Instagram video that he said, like after all the picks were gone, and he's like, hey, wasn't it first tonight? Obviously you know, it's not my plan, it's God's plan kind of thing. And in the background it looks like there's a full on banquet tent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it had been erected for this thing.
Speaker 2: He had a draft room made with dad's money.
Speaker 4: Of course, of course his.
Speaker 2: Or his Yeah, the hell do I know?
Speaker 1: But screens more than one the size of the entire wall across the entire room. It's white with black paint and just as legendary everywhere in different fonts. Legendary, legendary, and I mean a lot of egg on your face. To create a draft room with legendary plastered all over it and fall out of the first rounds, that should build character and a little hubris.
Speaker 4: No it will not, I know.
Speaker 1: But when I saw that, I was like, and this is exactly why you fell out of the first round. This room right here, one legendary on the wall is the reason you fell out.
Speaker 4: No one around him will tell them.
Speaker 2: Did you see cam Ward?
Speaker 1: Be interviewed cam Ward who went number one in the draft, quarterback out of Miami Hurricanes. He was with his parents, He had the thinnest of chains on, totally unassuming and just thanked God, the most humble kid.
Speaker 2: And you're like, and that is your number one pick?
Speaker 4: Right there?
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty Well's with all the theatrics.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's there's something that judges and parole boards hold in the highest regard, and that is accountability.
Speaker 2: And if you don't show it, you're screwed. You're dear to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a tiny bit.
Speaker 1: Of anything, any bit. And that's exactly what the judge said today. George Santos, former US Representative George Santos, who lied about his life story he defrauded donors total clown, was sentenced to over seven years in prison. Started sobbing as he heard his punishment. The district court judge said, where's your remorse? Where do I see it? It's always someone else's fault. It's so maddening, isn't it. He served in Congress for barely a year before everyone in the house was like, this guy's a fraud, this guy's a phony. Happened in twenty twenty three. He played a guilty last summer to federal wire fraud and aggravated identity theft.
Speaker 3: The maximum seven years three months in prison, and he knew it going into it. He said he probably was going to get the maximum. Tomorrow, of course, the funeral for the Pope. Will talk at the bottom of the hour with Raymond Arroya. We talked to him earlier in the week about what's going to happen Over the course of the next several hours. President Trump, First Lady Milania boarded Air Force one earlier this morning on their way to Italy, so they will be at the funeral tomorrow. Before we get into this story regarding the latest on the tariff wars, we have a chance for you to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Win.
Speaker 4: That's win wim.
Speaker 5: Entering now at KFIAM six forty dot com. Slash cash Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, Winning is everything Attorneys at Sweet James one eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 3: Keyword is when it goes on the website. Email is how we notify you that you wanted it. Just about an hour from now, we'll give you another shot at one thousand bucks.
Speaker 1: President Trump said this week that President Shei Jinping of China had called him. He said that his administration is talking with China to strike a tariff deal. Beijing says, what is she talking about?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: President? Please?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: He did an interview with Time magazine Trump did on Tuesday that was just published today. He did not say when she called or what the two leaders discussed.
Speaker 2: He said that he would not call.
Speaker 1: She Trump said he's called, and I don't think that's a sign of weakness on his behalf. My goodness, true, he did.
Speaker 3: He did answers question about this as he was about to board Marine one there at the White House this morning. When asked exactly what the talks have entailed, he said, he's not going to talk about it. So it's hard to pin this guy down on what exactly is happening with this. But we did see after this meeting with a bunch of CEOs from the targets and the walmarts and the home depots. Earlier this week, we saw some softening on the president's part when it came to the one hundred and forty five percent tariffs and said that they will come down. It just he didn't get into specifics and he didn't say when.
Speaker 1: So let me read between the lines here. Shijinping did not call President Trump. That did not happen. What could have happened? That has been going on our ongoing communications between people underneath both presidents.
Speaker 3: Right, and we know that there is an entourage of Chinese officials including I think their finance minister in Washington, d C. So it's very likely that there are some of those lower level talks. Before she or Trump picks up the phone and calls the other, they're going to have what they refer to as the contours of a conversation already in place.
Speaker 1: Trump, in this interview with Time magazine, says he has made two hundred tariff deals and is expected to finish negotiations in about hundred. With two hundred, I'm assuming two hundred different countries.
Speaker 3: How many countries are there in the world, two hundred and twelve. How many countries are there? There are one hundred and ninety five countries. Okay, but we've already got two hundred deals that we're working on.
Speaker 1: But I'm wondering if all those countries have their own universal trade agreements.
Speaker 3: Well, the European Union talks for seventeen members, is it something like that not included in the list of the one hundred and ninety five countries Taiwan, Well.
Speaker 1: In two hundred tariff deals, it's not just each country does a deal overall. It's like I'll make a deal with steel out of China and coal out of somebody, you know what I mean. Like, each country probably has a number of things that they export an import from the United States, right, so you know, if you just look at I mean, China is a bad example. We get everything from there because they've got everything. But you know, say we get five things from Lithuania. Sure we could make five different deals out of Lithuania when it comes to tariffs on those five different industries.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's just probably that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, he said two hundred tariff deals and expected to finish negotiations in about three or four weeks. We have no details on any of the deals that were made, no idea about like I was opining about which industries are affected or anything of the like.
Speaker 3: The White House Official Press Office has been talking about a little more than a dozen, but no more than two dozen deals that have been worked out and are waiting to be signed.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 1: The Pope's funeral is tomorrow. It's gonna be a who's who? What an event to go to, My goodness, it's like the met We'll be talking to our correspondent, Raymond Arroyo. He's host of the Arroyo Grande podcast. He interviewed Pope Benedict. He's anchored more live papal events than anyone in the industry.
Speaker 2: He's a great resource.
Speaker 1: He is our go to guy when it comes to the conclave, which is upon us, and it is not without controversy.
Speaker 2: We'll get into it.
Speaker 3: Coming up next, Gary and Shannon will continue.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we will be talking to Raymond Arroyo. He has been called in last minute because sometimes you gotta you gotta call in the pope, the pope correspondent, you know, onto the national news, and so Raymond was called in right away on Fox. So we'll be hooking up with him at about eleven about what's going on with the conclave, because, like I said before the break, it is not without controversy.
Speaker 2: There is a lot going on.
Speaker 1: We talked to yesterday about the convicted cardinal that wants in.
Speaker 2: He wants his vote to count.
Speaker 1: And and the fact that the cardinals haven't really been hanging out with each other because that wasn't the dead Pope's jam was. He did not like to hold house parties, so they're kind of figuring each other out.
Speaker 3: Those parties I'm just making it more conversation, and there's there's a lot that you know, we've talked earlier in the week. We talked about how Pope Francis wanted a lower key burial. He didn't live in the usual papal residence. He kind of holed up in a pretty spare hotel room there at the Vatican. And he's not going to be buried in the triple casket like all the other popes. He's just doing a simple pine box. But we won't see the difference. I mean, all of the pomp and circumstance that comes with the burial of a pope. We'll still be on display tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You sneeze, Yeah, okay, how did you know?
Speaker 4: Because I could see it in your face.
Speaker 2: Oh look at a light. Not that light look really bright during the sun. I'm not still blinded from amy.
Speaker 1: Pre Orders for Nintendo Switch too kicked off after the clock struck midnight.
Speaker 2: Ah you guys, chaos.
Speaker 1: It is k os out there, super high demand for the Nintendo Switch to a lot of people want Nintendo's latest fun console. This is officially going to launch June fifth, but this was the pre order line. A lot of people ran into frustrating delays, saw listings quickly sell out at Target, Walmart, Best Buy in the wee hours of the night. Game Stop began accepting pre orders for the Switch to Yesterday hours following the late night launches at other retail and quickly reported overwhelming demand, like crashing demand a Game Stop over the switch.
Speaker 2: Too, Keana, are you a switch to person?
Speaker 4: She is? And did you go on at midnight?
Speaker 2: And I doubt she did? No, I didn't, unfortunately, asked Brian if I could, and he said no, Oh, let's get him on the horn. That's a good start to a marriage right there.
Speaker 3: Setting boundaries. Was he afraid that he was going to lose you to that? Like you would stop paying attention.
Speaker 2: She doesn't want the money to be spent.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of money, Yeah, the money, Yeah a lot. Here's the thing, Gary, husbands only care about one thing, and it's called money.
Speaker 4: That's not true.
Speaker 2: It's not true. That is not true.
Speaker 3: Okay, I could think at least one other thing that they think and care about.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, come on, okay, all right.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk about the pope. Who's going to be there tomorrow right tonight?
Speaker 4: Is the night tonight.
Speaker 3: I think it's about gosh, five o'clock, six o'clock our time. Tonight is when they do the official closing of the closing of the coffin in preparation for the burial. He's not going to be buried in the catacombs of the Assistine.
Speaker 4: Chapel, is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or Saint Peter's Basilica. Where is the pope buried. He's not going to be buried with all the other popes. I know that that was one of the things.
Speaker 2: But there's some popes buried in avign Young.
Speaker 3: I think, well, there was a time when they were, yeah, in the France, weren't they. So Donald Amlaniy Trump, we know that the Vice President, we know the President and the first Lady will be there.
Speaker 4: They left this morning to head over to Italy.
Speaker 3: Prince William, King Charles's eldest son, is confirmed to be at the at the funeral tomorrow. He will be representing the king. Of course, the King is has been dealing with cancer treatments and stuff, so I don't know if it's that, if that's the reason, or if there were other scheduling issues. Caro Starmer is the British Prime minister representing the uk of course confirmed by a spokesperson that he will be there. Vladimir's Lenski. This is the biggest surprise. I suppose the Ukrainian president is expected to be there tomorrow. They met last in October of last year when Zelenski was making a tour through Europe.
Speaker 1: Santa Maria Maggiori is where he will be buried. This is an important place from the Pope's youth, really one of the four papal basilicas in Rome. He would regularly go into Santa Maria Maggiori Saint Mary Major, also called It's a fourth century basilica distinctive bell tower. It's perched on one of Rome's seven ancient hills. It lies between the coliseum and the Termini train station. During the Roman Empire, that served it as a burial round for slaves. There you go on one visit, the Pope had a close encounter with a suspected pickpocket, but that did not sully his experience. Pickpocket, Oh yeah, pickpockets are all over Rome. It was the first thing that happened to us when we got to Rome. It was on the escalator from the train station from the airport. Two guys stop the escalator, tried to pickpocket us, and then I started talking and they ran away. But anyway, this is where he will be buried.
Speaker 4: That's your defense making.
Speaker 1: He's the first pope in more than a century not to be buried in the grottos beneath Saint Peter's Basilica Peters.
Speaker 3: They do the grotto, that's a nice way to put it.
Speaker 1: Not everybody's as sullied as Los Angeles, and when they hear grotto, they think of the freaking Clayboy mansion.
Speaker 2: You sicko.
Speaker 3: The European Union Commission president will be there, the President of Argentina, which of course is where Pope Francis was born. Javi Amilia will be there. Georgia Maloney, the Italian Prime Minister. Probably the shortest trip, but she'll be there as well.
Speaker 1: When you brought the Sistine Chapel, you weren't far off from the festivities because that's where the conclave meets.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's where they select a new pope. I believe I'll look that up before somebody yells at me, Hey, this.
Speaker 3: Was gonna be a fun thing, because we have to do fun stuff on Friday, we will do what you learned this week on the Gary and Channon Show, coming up late in the show, right before the news nuggets. But this was something that was prompted from earlier this week.
Speaker 2: Gary and Channon. I thought it would be a cool talk back feature to hear what other people call themselves instead of grandma and grandpa. Ah.
Speaker 4: I'm yah yah yeah.
Speaker 2: I do like that one a lot.
Speaker 1: I love yah ya. That's a great idea. I love to hear the creativity that goes on. Gigi Glama all the things go go go go.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, grandkids call her go go.
Speaker 1: I have a go go as a grand God rest his soul, not me. One of my girlfriends her dad. Her kids referred to her dad as great.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: My I don't know if it was something that was dictated by my parents. We only said grandma and grandpa, never first names. It was always grandma and Grandpa. My kids, though, would refer to my parents as Papa Dick and Grandma Jen. I mean you had to use both names when you would speak of that person. Interesting, But and Keana was saying earlier today, it's usually the oldest or the first grandkid that kind of sets the tone for everybody all the pre proceeding.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So whoever, whatever name they come up with, is that that's the name that's going to stick.
Speaker 1: With Well, the thing is, there's families where the grandparents come up with their own names, like my parents did that, like I'm going to be called this, And then there's the families where the kids. I always liked it when the kids choose the names. That's always most fun for me.
Speaker 4: I wrote.
Speaker 1: To watch from the outside is like, you know, you know, if a kid can't pronounce a name or can't pronounce grandma and it comes out, you know, gama, and then your gama.
Speaker 2: For the whole your whole life, that's always a fun thing.
Speaker 3: Or googie or whatever. My wife said. This would have been years ago. She said something about how she wanted to be called Lali as a grandma, and I wrote it down. I took a note in my phone for some reason that was our kids were barely teenagers at the time, but I remember that.
Speaker 1: So are you gonna put that as an edict in when when your first grandchild comes.
Speaker 4: Up, Yeah, you shall refer to her.
Speaker 2: What would you like to be called Fonsie. Oh, that would be great. Let's do it Grandpa Fonsa rally. Yeah, yeah, I like it.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: One of the big stories today, President Trump says that Crimea will stay with Russia to definitive statement today about the need for Ukraine to give up some of its territory to end the war with Russia. He made these comments in an interview with Time magazine that the interview actually was done on Tuesday, but was released today. Crimea is the peninsula right along the Black Sea in southern Ukraine that Russia seized back in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: Joe Biden's going to the pope's funeral. Oh makes sense, Catholic president. Oh yeah, Ok, he's met the Pope several times.
Speaker 4: I guess that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you remember the Turpin kids.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 1: I've got a story that sounds like their story. But it's about a turtle, and it's just one turtle. It's not a whole. Okay, you're so disappointed.
Speaker 2: I am slightly disappointed. Not so disappointed. Okay, all takes slight disappointment.
Speaker 1: Light disappointment, not back in nineteen seventy seven, Can I have some music?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Back in nineteen seventy seven, there was a young boy and he was playing in his yard in New York and he stumbles upon a wild eastern box turtle and the boy takes in the turtle. The family takes in the turtle, and for the next fifty years, the turtle stayed in the home. She remained on the kitchen floor. She ate cat food occasionally lettuce. Now, this box turtle, eastern box turtle. Had she lived in the wild, she'd lived near water, she would take in the sunlight. She would have worn her nails down naturally in forest terrain. But that's not what happened with roc Aalina, the wild Eastern box turtle. No, she lived in that kitchen, ate that cat food, and recently, Garden State tortoise. A reptile rehab center got a hold of rock A Lina. I don't know what happened to the family, but rock Allina was the serve and she made her way into this rehab and the guy who runs it was really worried about rock Aalina. Her skin was discolored, it was sloughing off her nails, were not worn down as they would naturally have been in the forest terrain. No, they were curled in misshapen. They had grown back into her feet. One leg was impartially bad shape. They thought that she was going to lose that leg. Her eyes were covered in dead skin. She could not see this was a turtle on her last legs, quite literally. But they got her to the rehab center. Nails, they I'm not to that point. Oh, they gave her a warm bath.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 1: Every recovery story starts with a warm bath, doesn't it. With just forty five minutes of her being in warm water, her eyes opened and you could tell that she was just like, where am I?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: According to the guy who runs the rehab center, his name Chris, it was a box turtle that inspired Chris to start his reptile center.
Speaker 2: He was five.
Speaker 1: He was playing in a sandbox with his Gi Joe's and dad was mowing the lawn and that's when he found.
Speaker 2: His first box turtle.
Speaker 1: He could have handed me anything that day, he said about his father, But it was a box turtle and that stuck with me. I became enamored with them. Well after rock Alina's first bath. She made steady progress. Chris and the rescue centers VET gave her antibiotics, she got some soft foods. They trimmed her nails, Gary trimmer nails, and her beak it was shaped more like a ducks than our turtle's hooked mouth because of our living conditions.
Speaker 2: Oh is this her right here with the strawberries? Yeah, Chris says.
Speaker 1: It was like this turtle seemed to know we were helping her every single step of the way that we did something, she immediately responded to it. She was moved into a habitat that would mimic her natural ecosystem. It was decked out with fake logs, a water area, pine needles, and foliage. Kind of reminds me of the cage I created for Hami Tar anyway. For Finally, in late April, rock Alina went outside for the first time in nearly fifty years. Member This turtle had been living in a dirty kitchen eating cat food. She finally saw the outdoors. Chris says, when they put her outside, rock Alina was like, what is this this soft grass? She perked up. She stared into the sky. She cocked her head, blinked her eyes and munched on an earthworm.
Speaker 2: What's the future hold for RockA Fina? No more cat food, only live worms.
Speaker 4: That sounds. That sounds.
Speaker 1: Did you imagine being trapped in a dirty kitchen eating cat food and maybe a piece of lettuce for fifty years and then somebody takes you outside and they're like, hey, look at all.
Speaker 4: This, Look at all these earthworms.
Speaker 1: That incredible And I love the part how everything they did for her to take care of her, she acknowledged.
Speaker 3: She responded to, I want to know, first of all, what news organization published the story.
Speaker 2: It was mpr ah okay, which I think is a good use of their time.
Speaker 4: Probably.
Speaker 6: My mother was an Afrikaans speaking South African, so grandmother and grandfather in Afrikaans is oma and opah oma sounds kind of Greek, but it's not oma and opah ou pa and ouma.
Speaker 4: It's good.
Speaker 3: What did your what did you call your grandparents? We'll take these talk packs and we'll do these a little bit later as well. I have to get to.
Speaker 2: This compost story. You're going to lose your mind, Okay.
Speaker 1: I haven't looked at my email in about three weeks, so uh good, don't okay, you've.
Speaker 4: Been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every month, day through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app