Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty Bill Handle and the Morning Crowd on a Friday, just before the Super Bowl. And of course we're going to talk about on Monday the commercials and today not referencing the game. Name of the game. I no, I know.
Speaker 3: We're allowed to talk about it.
Speaker 4: We can't talk about during this context because we can't talk about we can't so far. But you know, I was listening to Amy King this morning with a wake up Call and she was talking about her dismay that a lot of the commercials are out already, because yeah, you do that.
Speaker 2: That's right. They know we're on social media.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've already seen them.
Speaker 2: All right, real quickly, it's the Fork Report. Who that's heard tomorrow from two to five, and that's Neil Today it's Foody Friday. So we're gonna do this very quickly because we've been doing talking about Stonefire.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the.
Speaker 4: Deal, this is, this is why I wanted to do this one. I love Stonefire Growth. Yes, they are a sponsor, but they don't pay us to say nice things. They pay for the airtime and all that. I wouldn't say anything nice about him if I if I didn't love them, yes, but yes he would No, I wouldn't, so please, okay, I don't say nice things about you, and I get paid to be here.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So Anne was asking me and this is what made me think about it, and was asking me about the roasted cauliflower. Yeah, great, and that would be on my list. It's a lemon tahini sauce. So I thought, well, with there being the big gang this Sunday, do you what would what are your go tos? The Try Tip Yeah, my carrot cake, so the Try Tip barbecue, barbecue.
Speaker 2: I like the barbecue and the chicken and the pastas.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you'd get the pesto pasta yeah, and the other one the Have you ever had their?
Speaker 3: Do you ever get their pizzas?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pizzas are fit right. But wait a second, because.
Speaker 2: Because we're gonna spend the entire sea the other.
Speaker 4: Day and it bothered me. Have you ever had the favorite, which is their green pizza? It is a no, it is a pesta sauce pizza.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 4: If you're not getting the right stuff, bro okay, okay, we're gonna send him a bill for this one.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, all right, now, it's totally legitimate. I'm not saying they.
Speaker 4: Are coming on the show tomorrow and I'm prepping that.
Speaker 2: Okay, and they're bringing on some food. So I get darn right, So let me do this, Let me do this. He is inviting anybody and everybody. It's thirty four hundred West Olive Avenue. Yeah, you have to go to the fifth floor and they'll bring you down to the fourth floor where Neil is doing this.
Speaker 4: All the food you want, all right, you know, you know the first thing ate Me said, she goes, Oh, they're here tomorrow, maybe I'll stop by.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, it's a waffle house.
Speaker 4: We talked about this a little bit this week, but I thought this was a funny store because not only do I think waffle House is starting a surcharge for eggs, we might see this.
Speaker 3: In the near future in other restaurants as well.
Speaker 4: So what waffle House has done is they put a fifty cent surcharge per egg. And that's what we talked about this week a little bit on the show, is that they were doing that. They're known for their twenty four hour breakfast chain right, but that's because.
Speaker 3: Of the issues of the cost of eggs.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 4: The funny thing the response to it though, that I thought, now you start this battle between breakfast places, is that Cracker Barrel came out. Now, we only have a few of these in California. Yeah, but they're all over the country. Yeah, hundreds, they're everywhere else, but we don't. We only have a few here. So they came out and said that the egg surcharge was there was nothing hospitable about that.
Speaker 2: It started and charging and they are not charging a number one, do they even serve eggs? Yes, okay, Next are they not charging a surcharge?
Speaker 4: Cracker Barrel said, we would not be. We will not be charging ex for eggs and response to the newst Waffle.
Speaker 2: So now let's go on to point three of this story, and that is if you look at the wholesalers, the distributors of eggs, Cracker Barrel goes to the Salmonella Brothers egg distribution company.
Speaker 3: They do not. They do not.
Speaker 4: That wouldn't help their cause. They said, they just there's nothing hospitable about it. They said that they will Cracker Barrel. Our country is hospitality is important to us. And our hearty breakfast, and that means we will not be charging x extra eggs. I just like the fact that they poke at each other.
Speaker 2: So how about the survecharge for sausage, for bread, for butter?
Speaker 4: Be charging you more for the plates and silverware, yes, but not for the eggs.
Speaker 2: Fifty today sat expensive and search charges. Where would there was search charge for delivery? There were searcharges for gasoline.
Speaker 4: There's all kinds of stuff, But imagine this breakfast used to be one of the biggest moneymakers breakfast and brunch because of the low cost of breakfast foods.
Speaker 2: Tonight, I'm going to my daughter Pamela's house. She's a foodie, foody as you know, like you. She is making breakfast for dinner tonight, and I'm very excited.
Speaker 3: That's one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: It is, it is. We're yeah, I can't wait for that, all right. Trader Joe's Customer Choice Awards, Neil, what the hell is that about?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I love these lists where they go through You know, Trader Joe's has this massive following, right, but some people are just super duper into their snacks, so they put together these lists are the best selling snacks or they go ahead and do surveys to find out what people like. And there's a couple of these that are hardcore, that have hardcore fans. And one of them, the ultimate winner of the snacks, and they're kind of hard to find because people buy them up, is the Chilian lime flavored rolled corn tortilla chip. So imagine this instead of your regular corn tortilla chip, it's rolled up into a small tube and then it's covered with this Chilian lime, so they're red, they're bright and vibrant. The people are cracky bit crackster about these particular ones, and they're hard to find, but they're on one of the top of the lists right now, and of course with the big Game coming on Sunday, these types of snacks are in high demand, but people will go through and get them and hoard them because they're so beloved.
Speaker 2: I was talking to someone who really is in to know about Trader Joe's on a business level, and he was telling me that Trader Joe's is pivoting a little bit that because these snacks, I mean across the board snacks in general, cookies, chips, Yeah, that is they're pivoting towards those and concentrating more than that than the staples that they sell, because those are the sales that are just exploding. It's the snack part of the industry.
Speaker 4: It makes sense because a lot of their the snacks are the things that everybody talks about, right, They're the things that come and go and then people get super duper attached to them other ones, you know, because these are things people will actually talk about. Yeah, they're not going to talk about the bread, no, I mean they do if they really like the bread or this or that, but usually it's the appetizers, some of the frozen foods, the snacks, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I love their Indian food. Yes, I love their Indian food which are a single portion and they're frozen. They're actually made in Canada, I think some factory in Canada. But it's absolutely delicious.
Speaker 4: These rolled corn tortilla chips, Tim kats down the hall at our sports station a five seventy he brought these in and he loves these things, and so people get really crazed about them. There's also the Cashell blue cheese Irish potato chips that they have there that incredibly popular.
Speaker 3: They have spiced cider goat cheese.
Speaker 4: They have this creamy fresh goat cheese that is really popular. Teeny tiny avocados. Have you seen these? My wife gets these. They're very small avocados because some people, if they're just going to make something for themselves, you don't want it to go bad. And there's nothing worse than the perfect avocado for like ten seconds and then.
Speaker 3: You know you can't use it.
Speaker 2: How about these sulfured egg flavored potato chips? No no, no, no, okay.
Speaker 3: Okay, layer gas data chips, no pull gas.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's switch a little bit and talk about chicken nuggets, which I happen to be nuts about chicken nuggets. I don't know very many people who don't like them.
Speaker 3: And no, chicken nuggets are great.
Speaker 2: So top shells chefs, excuse me? What the top chicken nuggets are out there?
Speaker 4: Okay, so we can all name like the places we love to go to get chicken nuggets, But what if you want them at the ready, like frozen ones, and you want to be able to go to the frozen ones at any particular moment. Right, you want golden brown that proper ratio of breading to chicken, right, crisp nicely on the outside. They stay crisp, don't immediately like when you bite into them, pull off the breading from you know, there's certain things that you want when you want a good chicken nugget. So they ask some chefs to break down their favorites, and they have a couple of ones that they pointed out to Earth's Best chicken nugget is one of them. The Kirkwood honey battered chicken tenders. This that you can find at Alda is another one. And some will say if you want to kind of kick them up a little bit, you sprint them with a little oil before you add the nuggets to the pan. This is something we do at the house too.
Speaker 2: Isn't it more important in terms of preparation of frozen chicken nuggets? For example, You're certainly not going to microwave them because I'm mushy, but either fry them, deep fry them, or saute them in oil, or if you want to be reasonably healthy, air fry them, because that is certainly the best way to get a nice.
Speaker 4: Crisp frozen food snacks. To me, air fryer is your best friend. That is one of the best ways to heat up frozen food.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 4: The way the microwaves work is they're dehydrators primarily, and what they're doing is they're zapping the water in.
Speaker 2: All right, So you don't and maybe I'm making a mistake. When I'm making something frozen, I put it in the microwave right out of the freezer, just to get the chill off, and then I put it into the air fryer.
Speaker 4: So here's a tip. You don't need to in the air fryer, like when I cook them in. You and I both have the Brevel. You were over at my house the other day and that my little toaster of and is the Brevel. It's great little machine. So if I'm going to put frozen food in there, for instance, it has a the timer that shows you that it's heating up right like you're going to heat it to three fifty or whatever, and then it will let you know when it's heat up. I put it in there during that time. Well it's heating up. That takes the chill off and then it will toast it.
Speaker 2: Oh, all right, So you put it in right at the beginning, right at the beginn yah, because if you're going to four fifty, which is you want to really crispy, really hot temperature hitting it, just putting in at the.
Speaker 3: Beginning while it's warming up.
Speaker 4: It takes two three minutes too well, as it's preheating, that takes a little bit of the chill off, and then when it gets the full heat, you crisp it up. I do that with frozen pizza. I do that with you know, because we get pizza. Bax likes a certain kind of pizza. I'll throw it in the freezer. If he doesn't finish it. I do it that way, and it's much better than the microwave.
Speaker 2: All right, Well that was good today and we did good stuff.
Speaker 3: Did we know? Did it suck last week?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So what we do on Friday is ask Candle anything. And this came out of what happens for years. People ask Anne and Neil and everybody around what's Handled like? What's John like? What's Neil like? They ask me what's Neil like? And so it's ask handle anything, where I answer the questions like I do when people ask out there and outside of radio land, I'd love that phrase. So here's what happens. You call in, you'll hear some questions that Ann and Neil have chosen and I listened to him for the first time much like you do. So cono, let's start, man. I got a question for Bill Handle.
Speaker 5: This is Wayne from Hysparia.
Speaker 1: Bill.
Speaker 6: When are you going to retire and let Neil take over the show?
Speaker 2: Not very soon and Neil will never and Neil will never take over the show. Any other question you may have, son of a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom actually sounded like a man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know when I'm going to retire. That's a good question, but uh, you know, I've been talking about it for years and it's too much fun, particularly now that Neil has come aboard. I'm like a pet to you. Yeah, I'm a fun little pet. And we have a new administration and so.
Speaker 3: In the building or in yeah, both both.
Speaker 2: All RIGHTO.
Speaker 1: Hey, Bill, I have a question about the Big Game coming up. It's been called the Big Game over over again and people don't even joke with it on the radio, TV, anyplace. Was there a memo from the Big Game the super Bowl and everybody, no, we're cracking.
Speaker 2: Down, Nope, nope. What it was was a statement and some lawsuits from the NFL that said the super Bowl is ours we trademarket a trade marketed.
Speaker 3: But you could talk about it. You can't.
Speaker 2: You can't use it in a commercial, and that's it. For example, I can say super Bowl, we can say we're gonna be watching it. We can, but it'll say I'm doing a stonefire commercial and I'm then saying, well for the I can't say it because it's used in a commercial. Contest.
Speaker 3: So you said that Big Game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why you hear the Big Game because the NFL number one owns it. Second of all, they are really strict about It's like Disney using Disney characters, and they have unlimited resources to sue you.
Speaker 3: What if you said the superb Owl, that's strong? Do they have that one too? No, they don't celebrate the superb our Owl this week the Fork Report.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. No, But that's why that's why you hear the Big Game.
Speaker 3: CONO, Good morning, Bill.
Speaker 2: Question for you, did you ever work with Tom like this? What did you think of him?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: And do you know what he's doing now? I don't. I did work with Tom, and what I think of Tom? One of the most interesting guys that I have heard in radio. Fairly unique and he has bounced around and I think he's doing a podcast now. I don't think he's on I.
Speaker 3: Think he's stopped it. I think he retired from that.
Speaker 4: He retired from radio. A lot of people do no, but he yeah, and he had a podcast. Yeah, And I don't know he was on KFI. He was one of my all time favorites. Yes, I thought he had he. I thought his his analysis of politics and the like and you know, popular events and things going on was was brilliant. I never cared for the the tall the TV he morphed into that.
Speaker 3: But what he was on KFI, he was.
Speaker 2: He was very good. And he and Rush Limbaugh really created KFI. So yeah, I know Tom and I've worked with him and uh, okay, we said it. Kno.
Speaker 7: A question for you, Bill, after listening to you for so long, have you ever been diagnosed with ADHD or been tested for it?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding? Are you? Is that a serious question? Have I ever been diagnosed with ADHD? That is my that was my legal name before I changed it.
Speaker 3: You put the H in ADHD.
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I definitely have ADHD. I take medication for it.
Speaker 3: What do they have you on for that? Mid oh Michdal's for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought that was for the fact that you're crazy and bipolar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's the same same.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean bipolarity is a little bit further on. But I don't think I'm bipolar. I think I'm pretty close to bipolar. But no, definitely, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: So did you meet you before you were ond?
Speaker 2: Oh you should have seen me around here before lemitdo all right, Cono, this.
Speaker 6: Is for Bill handled I wonder why you chose Niel Seed to be you are best man. I always thought that Sable your partner, was your best friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want me to leave what you tell them? That was number two? No second choice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, but that's besides the point.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: The reason I chose Neil Uh to be on the show is be.
Speaker 3: Got on the show as your best man.
Speaker 2: Is always my best man? Oh yeah it was? Yeah yeah, and uh second choice. Savill couldn't do it, and he was second choice. I thought you said chose Neil as my best man? Is that what the question? Yes, she says, who Okay, got it? I miss I'm not your second banana. No, I got best man at your wedding. Yeah, yeah, happening next month. Yeah, I chose Neil and he was the second choice. Actually, if you think about it, and Neil, I haven't shared this with you. You were my fifth choice. The first four said.
Speaker 4: No, well, your brother's in jail. Crowds that one off, Savil can't make it. That's number two. Wait, who are the other ones?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: The homeless guy down on the corner over there, pass over Pete. All right, let's go ahead and see. This is why this is so much fun. I love these segments.
Speaker 8: Okay, Bill, I want to know if anytime in your life, like when you were in college or whatever, you ever experimented intimately with another.
Speaker 2: Man, not with another man with an animal. Yes, stop, that was and there was a Saint Bernard. That it was a female Saint Bernard. Okay, so you can't you know. And it was an adult consenting Saint Bernard. So you know, I didn't go too far.
Speaker 3: Now, and I feel like you're dancing around this with you.
Speaker 2: Uh. No, I wish, you know, I wish I had you know, nobody wants Yeah, now, I you know, now, okay, you know it's out of the question now because no one will have me. But no, I just strangely, and by the way, I would tell you if it was true. It's not.
Speaker 3: It's not somebody I put that in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's something I would hide. But the answer is no.
Speaker 7: Hey Bill, So what do you do for physical activity to get that heart rate up? Since you and doctor Keating are always talking about health subjects and I just know how you love your food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tend to masturbate a lot. I find that it's a.
Speaker 3: Lot of it. I think any of us want to hear that.
Speaker 2: And I have an extraordinary risk strength right handed only. So that's what I do for physical activity. I walk every day for an hour and I'm rejoining a gym. That's what I do for physical activity.
Speaker 4: And I eat and I do and I fear that it's the other thing.
Speaker 2: I know, and I eat. Well, sometimes I do that simultaneously. But that's what I do.
Speaker 5: Hey Bill, I understand that you love peeps. My question to you is do you enjoy them straight out of the box or do you let them breathe for about a week so they get crunchy and spy and stale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very good question. No, I eat them right out of the box. I tend to do that. So there's the answer. There was a good question, by the way, I appreciated.
Speaker 3: That down with the peeps questions. Yeah, yeah, peep's question.
Speaker 6: Great, Hi Bill, How often are you actually live for the Saturday show?
Speaker 2: Handle on the Law? Every week? Every week? I do that live. Occasionally, I won't occasionally when I'm on vacation or whatever. I have fresh shows, which is why I do Tuesdays and Thursdays, I take phone calls, and on Saturdays after the show, I take phone calls, and once in a great while, if I can't do it or something happens, it will run the best of the only time we run the best of the schedules Christmas and New Year's. The rest of the time, it's it's live unless it falls on young young Kipoor. Whatever the reason. It's a non religious guy.
Speaker 3: You know, because you record so much, they're going, well, what do.
Speaker 2: You But she asked, and I do you know ninety percent of the time, ninety five percent of the time they're live.
Speaker 4: Okay, I I have a question for you. Yeah, because we're out of these, you went through them pretty quickly. I mean, we have plenty more, just not here. No, I'm jan I have a question for you. How many times have you been fired in radio? Once from KBC.
Speaker 2: KBC, it's the only time I've ever been fired from radio.
Speaker 3: Do you does that? Does that like scar you? Because of how great KBC is?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding? I was canned in nineteen eighty seven and I'm still in therapy over it. Uh, it was actually it was really one of my depressing moments in my life.
Speaker 3: How did it go down?
Speaker 2: I was on weekends, I was doing a handle on the Law one show, and uh, the program doctor tossed me, which happens all the time. How did it go down? Well, there used to be pictures, Uh, you know, they have photos of the personalities down the hall and uh one I came in during the week and actually, I think my the program doctor called me in and as I'm walking down the hall, my picture was not on the wall. You know how you.
Speaker 3: Would have been better if they were taking it down as you.
Speaker 2: Well, you know how when you take something, you know, a picture or whatever document down from the wall and behind it it fades differently. That was it. There was a square where my picture used to be and uh, he gave it to me. He had it on his.
Speaker 3: Desk, and yeah, I know in your bathroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have it in my bathroom that I literally had there was my picture bill Saturday mornings, and I had it right over the toilet, so you when someone was peeing it was you had. It was for a man in terms of the with the eye contact, and I had it so I looked right at you while you were.
Speaker 3: Peen, I know.
Speaker 4: And you had a mustache in that. I did have a mustache in that with a nose like yours. What made you think it was a good idea to underline it?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: Actually it wasn't a mustache mustache. It was nosehirs that.
Speaker 3: It was just rogue nosehirs y.
Speaker 4: So that really did bother you being fired. I was depressed as hell, like more than normal, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because it was I mean, I love that show I was working.
Speaker 3: I had How long did you have the show?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 2: About a year and a half.
Speaker 3: But a year it didn't get ratings or they got great ratings. It did just fine.
Speaker 2: But that's a story where the program director got involved and wanted, oh he's dead so I can say it. There was another show that he got free services in exchange for a show and it happened to be on my time.
Speaker 3: Oh like yeah, car services close, yeah yeah, and when you get free whatever.
Speaker 2: I remember it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he couldn't get legal service. Yeah. Oh that's funny, true, that true.
Speaker 2: So I did get depressed because Saturday it was. I mean, I loved radio, loved it, and it was and I'm back to doing this because of you. When I first started broadcasting in the morning here, it was I'd be off the air at nine o'clock. It was five to nine shift, and I would actually get depressed knowing that it was twenty four hours before he could get back on the air. That's how much I love this job. And for a long time it wasn't. And I'm closer to that now.
Speaker 3: I'm glad.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, I'm going. I'm going now Shannon, Shannon and the sports Lady extraordinary. I am assuming Shannon that we're going to be talking a little bit about the super Bowl coming up. Nobody cares, all right, Gary and shit and coming right up, and it's going to be about the game as well as a lot of other topics. So tomorrow morning is handling the law eight to eleven o'clock after Dean, who is on from six to eight after Dean Sharp and Neil is two to five o'clock.
Speaker 3: Oh, thanks for remembering. Yeah, hell fire grills coming on, yep.
Speaker 2: And of course we come back on Monday, Amy with wake up Call and the rest of us come aboard, and Will is hanging around someplace, and Cono and Ann and I just say goodbye because it's written in the contract. I have to do it. KFI am sixty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app