Speaker 1: With the Lucky Land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky landslips dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 3: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Are you at fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapp or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 5: Noe's necessary void over every boy Law terms of Conditions eighteen plus h.
Speaker 2: Lucky Land Casino, asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 2: Yes? You do?
Speaker 3: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: I never win?
Speaker 2: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 3: You could get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky landsloughts dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 2: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 6: Nope?
Speaker 2: Just necessary boid reverd my long eighteen plus terms and conditions plus you wants every details.
Speaker 7: Maybe you are now listening to True Murder The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them.
Speaker 6: Gacy Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker BTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and some as killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski. Good evening from the author of Vampire, The Richard Chase Murders and The Bunde Murders comes an excursion into the truly weird and the bizarre, the medieval esque murder in a small town museum, to the jilted boyfriend who decided that his former girlfriend needed to die on her twenty first birthday. And then there's the demented son who returns home to live with his mother and stepfather and one night in their beautiful mansion sitting atop a high bluff overlooking the Ohio River, slaughters them. The book that we are featuring this evening is Kentucky Bloodbath, Ten bizarre tales of murder from the Bluegrass State, with my special guest, journalist and author Kevin Sullivan. Welcome back to the program, and thank you for agreeing to this interview.
Speaker 4: Kevin Sullomon.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you, Dan, It's always good to be on your show.
Speaker 4: It's always a pleasure to speak with you again, Kevin, and congratulations on your latest truly bizarre collection here from Kentucky. So just tell us, I guess we've just had you on recently with another collection from Kentucky. But tell us just basically, what was your criteria this time out to be able to select the stories that the ten stories that are in Kentucky Bloodbath.
Speaker 5: All, yes, all of these stories go back to the time when I was for a number of years when I was doing research into strange Kentucky murders, and I was going through case files and court records, and you run into a lot of stuff. You do that obviously, but I was looking for some of the more bizarre cases, strange cases, cases that had twists to them, just things that would just jump out of you from the page and at the case file.
Speaker 4: And the other.
Speaker 5: Book that we talked about a number of months ago was Death of a Cheerleader and that had six different bizarre cases in it, and so this is a continuation of that, and and these cases were some of them, as I had mentioned before with the other book, would have kind of been lost to history had I not gone in there and pulled these things out. Some some would would be well known, and that I'm sure reporters would periodically, you know, right about them, certain cases like the iceman having to do with with with Todd Ice. But most of the cases were very big and had an effect on the area where these happened at the time. But over the years, these things had a tendency to kind of, you know, drift away, and then of course they end up in archives and most people forget about them, and so I was always glad to find something interesting, you know, that I could pull out and put to the page.
Speaker 4: Well, let's set the stage right now for with Carol Francis Mudd. And she's twenty two years old and we're talking. She's working at the Stonecastle Museum in a small place called Bardstown, Kentucky. This is November nineteen eighty two. In this museum they have toy soldiers and antique weapons. And you've introduced the character Anthony Russell Gollan. Yeah, he's twenty years old. So you take us right to where the mailman, the postman Charles Meredith is walking by and Anthony Russell Gowan. So set the stage for us for death by Sword. Yes, Gollan was a strange individual. He was obsessed with edge edged weapons, especially swords. And what he did uh that morning and the authorities don't know why he did it, but he was the first person to come into the museum in Bardstown. And like you say, they had they had these these displays of toy soldiers and battlefields, but they also had displays of like, uh, knights and armor and like they had a broad sword, and they had various displays. So for a small town like Bardstown, which is famous for my old Kentucky home.
Speaker 5: Uh, it was. It was a nice place. The Stonecastle Museum. He he ended up there on the really the day after Halloween and November first, and I don't know whether he I don't think he signed in, but I think he walked in. And the woman that was working there, she was all by herself. It never came out how exactly this happened, but she ended up being murdered. And what Gallan did was he had taken the broad sword from one of the displays, and he had he had thrust that thing down to the top of her shoulder into her midsection, and as I recall it, it pierced her heart or severed maybe a valve in her heart, had done an extensive amount of damage. I'm sure she died very quickly. And of course he you know, I don't know how he managed not to get blood on himself, but he did. And what was weird is that two brothers had shown up at the museum a little bit later, and they came in there and they they hadn't you know, they were waiting to you know, to pay the price of admission, and nobody was there, so they just started walking around the place and uh, one of the brothers had gone upstairs and you know, well I think one one had stayed in like the bookstore area, and he came back, and uh, you know, he had his brother follow him upstairs because he saw something that bothered him. And you know, a lot of times when people will see bodies, they if they come upon something horrific like this, sometimes they won't often know it's a real body. Sometimes it will be obvious, and sometimes it won't. And he couldn't believe what he was seeing when he founder, so he he had his brother, you know, follow him back up. And of course, you know, she was quite dead. So that became a mystery as to what happened to this girl. And and uh Gallon wasn't arrested until a long time later.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And in fact, as I recall, the guy who broke the case was a detective. He I think he was a suspect for a while, but they didn't have anything solid on him. But but but the uh, but a cold case detective. He came along later and he got to work back on that case and ended up interviewing a number of Gallon's friends and stuff and uh, girls he dated, and he was able to put more together uh about this and what came from some people that knew him was quite strange, especially the women he uh he dated, and uh, you know, like the one girl had said that he, you know, liked to have rough sex and sometimes he would like to choke her, but not into like unconsciousness. But she said something weird too, like you would say sometimes he'd like to imagine himself to be a doctor or perhaps a soldier, some type of authority figure. And uh, he was just quite strange. And later when this, you know, the cops got on his trail. He lived next I believe it was next door to a Kentucky State trooper and this trooper had witnessed him one time out when he had set up some boxes and some cardboard boxes, and he had taken a sword he has I don't Japanese sort or whatever, but he was whipping this thing all around in different directions. He was quite good with the sword and you know, turn around and put his back to the boxes and sliced beside him into the sword, and then he would switch around and do something else and he would just whack these boxes up really quickly, and you know, the cop took notice of that. But eventually, you know, he was apprehended through some things that he did. I don't want to get the whole story away, but because I know people will enjoy meeting this, but it's it's it's got a lot of twists in it. And if you can imagine those two brothers coming in there are creepy that must have been to be met with silence, only to find her dead body. And for quite some time this was an unsolved case. So Bartstown is rather small, and so that that probably sent a nice little shockwave through the community. And if people weren't locking their doors, then you know they soon would be. So it's a very interesting tale.
Speaker 4: You've got a detective you speak of a detective, Robert Foster, who took on the case after about two and a half years. Like you say, it was cold for a while, even though they had suspicions obviously, But what was interesting is all the claims made from all the Foster just happens to go talk to his ex girlfriends. You know, if that comes a wealth of information, like fascinating stuff like it's fascinated with dungeons and dragons, the occult martial arts and edged weapons, like you said. But he's also, according to Rosemary Lawrence, one of his exes, he's a member of a black cult, devil worship. Yea, there's a lot going on here. And then when you talked about the crime scene itself, you say in the book that this broadsword, not everybody knows what a broadsword, but I imagine it's a big sword, like something from very low days, but three feet tall, so it's a three foot sword. It was put through her. She was you know, she was impaled on this thing, and then her throat was cut with a dagger and there was Yeah.
Speaker 5: And in fact, the broadsword you people don't know, I'll explain. They're so large that they're basically two handed weapons. It's not like you would stand there and joust or you know, just do it like put one hand behind your back like you see people's fency. No, broadswords were very long, and they were very heavy, and they're like battle swords, and they carry a lot of weight and they're sharp on both sides of the blade, and boy, you can really do some damage with those things. And so to think about that, he didn't just pierce her like with a straight on stick, like you know, like in her stomach. He brought that thing that way down. He must have had her like on the ground, on her knees. I don't know how he did it, but he got that thing down through the top of her shoulder and rams it all the way down. So I think, as I recall, I like the autopsy report talked about how quickly she died. I think I put that in the story, but I remember reading it in the case file because of the piercing of her heart or something.
Speaker 4: What also was very fascinating, and because you don't see this in a lot of cases. I mean there's some talk of it maybe at trial, but this is some interesting evidence in this case where when the police sees some evidence from this guy, they sees a Satanic Bible that's not your run of the mill thing, books on rituals, witchcraft, and notebooks containing Satanic writings and drawings. So this guy was he was very serious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was. He was. In fact, he was by the time false Or caught up with him, he was in the Marine Corps and he was about to be kicked out he was having some drug issues and really some other issues as well. So uh yeah, he's a Yeah. His girlfriends, as I recall, they didn't have a whole other good things to say about him. But yeah, yeah, I said, yeah, yeah, a member of the black cult. She goes on say, you know, which is devil worshiping. So he was a very strange, strange individual. And if you remember so, he basically confessed on the way home after he was taken from uh, I guess, not Pendles, and that's California, but it's the one on the east coast, the marine base. Uh. He basically he talked about hearing a roaring in his head. Remember he said like yeah, but he also said that out of a lawn war.
Speaker 4: Yeah. He also said he was on queludes. And he also said he couldn't remember, so let's be yeah, yes, I he could have said. He said, I could have killed her. I can't remember, had those queludes roaring in my head like a lawnmower. Yep, you know, Yes, what's the most What's again? You open this book and this is an incredible opening to a book. And I won't we won't dwell on this because we've got to talk about all these other incredible stories, but again what I find most fascinating, and some of the some members of the audience have contacted me too, because we there's a gap in some of the true crime stories. As many bizarre and unbelievable stories, this is one that really has this otherworldly almost effect to this where you have what was found on Carol Mudd's body and originally was a back part of a like a brooch, like a pin attachment, and they didn't know really what it was, but they knew that they had it in their possession, and later when they did seize evidence from from him, they what they did find was the other part of that pin. So tell us what that with the significance of that pin was in continuum of our talk about if I recall it was something it was like a satanic pin, was it not? It was a Satanic star Yeah, it was a Satanic star pin.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, And so you know this is something so he I guess placed this. I don't know. I can't to be honest, I can't remember. I'm not sure if he I don't even know if it came out, if he placed it on her body, or if he accidentally left it at the scene. I'm not sure. I can't remember, but I didn't.
Speaker 4: Really say in your book. It didn't say in your book, But what it said was the star had two inverted crosses yes and and the number six six six, and it was on a small gold broadsword word ten. That would when they put the two pieces together, they fit perfectly, and that was an important in the trial as well, to connect him further than he was already connected in this case. But I don't see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm looking at it right now because there's every call on it's the the actual file is coming back to me. I've got ridden here. It talks about it was found on her. I don't think it was ever determined whether it was broken by accident or or whether he left it as like a calling card. I don't think they ever made a determination of that. I'm not sure, but it was. Yeah, it was weird, and of course you uh yeah. They used that serial uh microscope and they did what was a ten point you know, comparison. I mean, these things are usually very easy to uh man together. Whenever you have something that's been broken off, even though they've been separated by some some some distance, it doesn't matter when you're bring it back together. It's it's a it's a pretty easy to compare them and make a match. Of course, you know the opposing attorneys will always try to tear that down, but yeah, it was just, yeah, it's weird. This whole case does have a different feel to it because if you look at Gallon and you look at how strange he was in this satanic stuff, and then you look how that worked out among the people that knew him, and and and these girlfriends, who's some of them are quite close to him and got to see him a lot. Yeah, it just it's just a real, real different feel, and it's a different type murder because most murders don't happen like this. They they never did find out why he did it, and I'm not sure that they know exactly how he did it. They just know he did it and and what drove him to the museum to be the first one in there is anyone's guests. I don't think he ever talked about it.
Speaker 4: No, but you say in the book that four months after the murder just happened to write a little song called The Hunter. And also there was writings and drivings. Well, won't go into that, but needless to say, it sounds like a typical psychopathic killer to me.
Speaker 5: Sure, yes, yes, and he's free today. I mean, I don't as sorry call he's he was released. I don't know how much time he did, but he's out there somewhere. He'd probably still in Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Well, he received a thirty year sentence, so you would think if they had any provision for time off or good behavior of some sort whatever that was eighty six is so that would certainly be coming up to the thirty years and if there was any kind of parole ability all it'd said in your book. And again, what he was sentenced to was thirty years, and so we don't know exactly what Kentucky parole eligibility was or what the deal was exactly that thirty years. Let's move to your next story, where again completely different, but it's called Blood in the Moonlight And this is Kurrs December ninth, nineteen eighty three, Albert and Mabel Bauer and they're sixty three years old, and this is this occurs in Louisville, Kentucky around and this is their annual fraternity Order of Police dinner and Albert is the deputy sheriff and their son, Albert Junior, twenty nine years old, has had some problems moved back with his parents. Tell us a little bit about Albert Junior and the circumstances that led to him moving back in with his parents, Lile Kentucky.
Speaker 5: Well, Albert Well. First of all, the home is uh. I have a picture of the home in the book. The picture doesn't really do it justice. It's it's a nice middle class home. What you can't see is it's about a half a block from a neighborhood high school. I always like when you know these high schools and stuff, you know you would be right in the neighborhood. And uh, you know, it's just it's a nice area and it's low crime. And I don't know if they'd ever had a homicide. Louisville does have a good number of homicides, but those usually occur in the western portion of downtown. When you get out into the suburbs, you know that there are occasional homicides, but this was a particularly quiet area. And uh, it just goes to show you that things can happen. They that were apparently quite normal. They were getting up into their older years, you know, and the son had Albert Junior, had had problems. I mean he had battled, uh, mental problems, and he was also on drugs, and he had been living apart from his family. But but but decided to move back home. And you know, there had been issues. And this is a terrible, terrible thing, but parents go through things like this and they start having issues with their sons or I guess in some cases daughters, but invariably it's with the sun and uh, then they start showing some instability, and then they share start showing instability with perhaps a engine for violence. Parents don't always move as quickly as they should take care of the situation, and some often believe that, uh, it won't really turn the violence. And so Bauer was living in their basement. And on this particular night, they had been to the lodge to have this dinner. And I know that Albert sr uh excuse me, had a friend he spoke with that night. They were good friends, and so they came home and uh, I guess it was about maybe uh, I don't know, if I think about uh, they probably came home around eleven something like that. Maybe the laughter and uh, Albert Junior was out for the evening and he had gone out and done some things and he had run into somebody at a local bar, and uh the guy was kind of, you know, joking with him about some things, and he came very hostile towards him. And he wasn't acting himself. I mean, people knew this, you know, you know, fellow had problems, but he was even acting a little bit strange to his friends as well well. So he goes home and he slaughters his uh his parents and the he actually calls in to the police by quarter of one that that early next morning, and uh, you know, he's he tells the dispatch person there's been a murder. She asks where, and he gives the address, and the dispatched person asked Albert Jr. What happened. He said, I don't know, and then he just said, you know, he said, both his parents are dead. And I've talked to the police officer that arrived on the scene. First. The guy said he pulled up and uh, this this this fellow was bald, was standing out in the driveway and if you look at the picture, it's on a hill. So I'm assuming balance up probably by the top of the driveway, and uh it's a very moon of night. And when the cop moved, you know, welled up on the scene because he's bying himself. Uh he said he looked at Bowery. He said, he looked like he had wet into something, wet on his jacket. And because cop could sell the car and walks up to him and he could see John's flashlight on it is covered with blood. And so he begins to tell the cop and his parents are dead. And uh, so the cop goes in to the house. I believe they ended in through the kitchen, and you know, he's got his handgun out and he's probably already suspicious as to you know, Albert Jr. But he sits him down in a chair and he tells him not to move. He tells him it's for his own safety. As he entered the kitchen. I've seen these. I've seen the crime scene photos. I wouldn't publish them, and they were and these particular photos. They already told me you you can't have these for publication. I said, I don't need them. I just want to see what the detector has walked into. I always want to see what they see when they're entering the crime scene. But I don't I don't ever publish really, you know, these horrific pictures, But the pictures, and I tried to explain in the writing, and I think I do a good job with it of just how bad it was. I mean, there was blood everywhere in the kitchen. The floor was covered with blood, the countertops, the cabinets as I recalled them, some blood on the ceiling. The mother had numerous stab wounds. He had used, uh, several knives. He had used a type of fork on her. I think one of the knives was still sticking out of her was bent. Clearly it was a crime of rage. And uh, you know, even this beat cop, I'm sure he knew that. I mean, once the detectives got there, I mean, you know, I mean they see things like this and they know this is this is not some burdlary going bad. The father was laying in the living room. It looks like he was trying to make it to the front door, and he had been strangled to death, and I think the cord was still around his neck, but he had also been hitting the head and he actually had an in his head like a wound in his head and it corresponds with a like a mug. I think it was a Pewter mug. If I recall these stories were written so many years ago, uh that that the detective matched it up and it was a match to this thing in his head. And also a handgun I think had been fired in the house, but no one was hit from that. And so you know, you have these two dead people. Well, you know, the police show up and they they know, you know, it doesn't take them long. And in fact, they brought a dog that you know, the track that see Bower had made some claim that somebody people have done that they had left and then but when the cop, the Canawn officer brought his dog, you know, the dog tracked the h sent from you know, the door out all the way back around and then it just didn't lead anywhere like away from the house. And you know, it didn't take the cops too long to figure out, you know, we've got somebody who has murdered his mother and father. But they didn't want to charge him yet with murder, so they charged him with possession of like kayludes or whatever and some drugs. And what was strange is that his attorney. Of course, he was rested for that taking downtown. You know, I got a picture somewhere of him standing there at the police station with this blood on the jacket, and you know, so they're building a case on the murder thing, but they want to wait a little bit, so he makes bail. The family attorney, you know, gets this guy out right, and the detectives asked the judge to put a hold on him because he's a suspect in this murder thing, but because he hasn't been charged. The judge said, you know, basically, he said, my hands are tried because I can't stop him from making bail from this drug charge. So what the family did? I mean, you know, he's not going to stand that out now. Was crawling with forensic people and you know, just all kinds of people there. So he puts him up and is known as the Golf House Hotel, which is a is a hotel in downtown Louisville that is twenty one twenty two stories something like that. It's a pretty big fall structure, maybe twenty two, I'm not sure, but he's up on like the twentieth floor. Something I can't recall. He's way right, and so his attorney you know, you know, you know places are there, informs the police where he is. Well, the police are working, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Lucky Land casino, asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: Lucky? In line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 2: Yes? You do?
Speaker 3: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting? Really yes, excuse me?
Speaker 2: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: I never win?
Speaker 2: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 3: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 2: Are you feeling lucky? No, we're just necessary for my long eighteen plus terms conditions, plus everything else.
Speaker 5: To try to get everything they need to quickly charge this guy, well power gets it in his head that for some reason he's going to take his own lives. What he does is he he gets back and he takes just a running leap and crashes through the window. And I say in the book he has a controlled fall. He did too. He didn't go in over end. He fell, He crashed through and then started to drop and as he started to drop. He maintained his position and he went through the the roof. I had to explain to the gold House hotel isn't just a straight hotel, but when you get down to the first floor, it expands out for conference rooms and they kind of go out a little bit. It almost looks like the h He's never looked at the und building in New York. And so it comes down. It's it's high up and it comes down and expands as and and the building goes out. Well, there was no way he was gonna hit the pavement. He was going to hit the roof. And he did hit the roof, and he came through the roof and his body was halfway hanging out of the roof. Now nobody knows this guy's dead. This is done in the middle of the night. I recall I think it was around four a m or something. Maid had gone in there. She was doing something. They're not too or four and cheers water dripping okay, and she hits the light and then there's bower. His clothes have been kind of you know, jeans have been kind of ripped off of him. It's rear end is exposed. He's hanging through the ceiling and of course he's dead. And so the police are called and you know, answer coming and they're getting down and when the detectives went, when the homicide offices is notified, like by then it's light, you know, the next morning, and they they said, as they left the station, they looked over in the direction of the golf house and they could see a curtain lapping through an open window up and like what would be around the twentieth flour And they figured that was Pawer that you know that you know, that's that's that's where he jumped. And they were right. And so this guy had killed himself. And I've got some pictures in there of the uh of the of the dead body. I thought it was interesting that he was able to, you know, control his fall. I don't know if he planned it that way, but he managed to travel all that distance and hit feet first.
Speaker 4: It's interesting that you you do mention that he was charged after his death posthumously.
Speaker 5: For the murder. Yes, yes, and convicted.
Speaker 4: Now our next story is you you title it rampage. And this is October first, nineteen seventy three, and Geraldine E. Walt, she's forty two years old, and we're talking about Lexicon Lexicon Tech, Kentucky. She was picking up her daughter, her young at the Sayers School and across from the school was a federal building. Third floor looked unassuming that there was a prisoner holding for federal charges. And at round four pm there were several men walking on the roof of a loading dock, according to witnesses, and people thought they were doing work, official work, and there were two meter maids working anyway. Say he saw them jump from a third floor window, Yes, after sawing through the bars. So tell us about this daring escape and and how this geraldine E Walt and her daughter get all caught up in this rampage.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the lexing Tons the second biggest city in Kentucky, louis Will being the first. Louisville's a very large metropolitan area and accident is a nice size city either, I would call it more more like a town. It's it's it's just it's it's nice, and it's it's normally quiet, you know, and these things don't normally happen there. They had homicides, but the federal breakout was real different. And the federal holdover apparently this guy named you know, Wilma Scott. He had gotten a uh like a little hacksaw or something that had been able to it's all his way through a window and maybe somebody else has started this. I don't know how long it took to get this done. But he had gotten out on the roof, and uh two other men had gotten on there with him, Uh, William Sloan and then another guy named Collins, and Uh Sloan said, uh, you know, there was no way to get down. It was it was a nice but there was no way to get down that. They were just gonna have to jump. And so Scott just you, he said, I couldn't get off the roof. I kept walking around and everybody was looking people and a couple of Marshalls pulled in and people were staring from across the street. So I just backed up about thirty foot I'm quoting him, and closed my eyes and just run till there was nothing under me. And of course he just dropped off and he was fine. William Sloan soon followed him and he was fine. But it's just so strange. But this other fellow named Collins, you know, he tried to he tried to get off the roof without hurting himself, and he sat on the ledge and as gently as pobably, he dropped in the crowd. He broke his leg. He should be glad though he broke his leg, because these other guys would go on to commit murder and he wouldn't be charged with that. But uh so anyway, you know, and so the eater may see this, right, and uh, you know they they were quite upset because they knew these guys were were going to get away. Well, the Sayer school sits very close to the Federal building and uh, I got a picture of it in there. And what people would normally do is they would line up their cars all around this like circle and the kids would come out and you know they time the parents or whatever and all they go. Well, e Walt was waiting for somebody, you know, that day, and you know her doors were I guess unlocked, and uh, Sloan and Scott just got in there and commandeer of the car and and and and just took off and uh they you know, threatened her that they would take her life. And it really Scott that was doing all the talking. Sloan was there, you know, kind of like to go along with the ride. He was just glad to be out of out of the lock up. But they ended up going to Ewall's house and they then after you know, they waited there a while. Uh you can't tell from some things that Scott said to her on the way out there. He was very paranoid. But then after that they ended up, you know, you know, taking off, and it's you know, very unfortunate because they ended up and I don't know if they saw this girl or not, but they ended up getting inside of a minister's house and he was not home at the time, but but his daughter was and the wife was in Louisville at a conference, might have been a Methodist conference, and this guy was like I think he I think I think he might have in the Methodist minister And so the you know, Scott's phone, you know, to get into this guy's house. It probably followed the girl started, you know, get up a buzz or something. I don't know, but they got into the home and then when the father came home with the son, of course, they were already inside and they you know, bound them up and made them sit and uh, apparently you know, when these things happen to people. The best thing that people can do is to survive, is to go along with it, and uh, try to maintain a car attitude. And I think the minister had a tough time doing that because Scott would later tell investigators that this guy was causing them when he was saying all kinds of things and you know, slowan, I mean Scott, Uh, the minister, you know, you know, they're they're they're they're they're tired, and they're on the run, and I mean, they're dangerous people, and you know, he shouldn't be doing that. And uh he said, you know you're sitting there, you know, cursing, and you got done to the ause, you got whiskey in the ass, and you call yourself a minister and you're you know, your cousiness. And so the apparently that that agitated Scott quite a bit, and of course, as often the case, the girl ended up being raped. But the friction between the father, the minister, and Scott just kept kind of like escalating, and uh it turned in the murder and after a while, and Sloan did not commit the murders. Okay, it was Scott, but uh, the all three were killed, you know, the minister and and both both the uh on a daughter and uh. Then when they made the break, they made their way up to I think it was Fouma of Kentucky and uh there was a guy there. I can't remember his name now, but it's in the area. He was like the night clerk. Do you do you remember that where.
Speaker 4: He had well there was actually was Elva. Elva Harper was a night clinch y.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he and they and he yeah, but he had a premonition like something was going to happen to him and uh if if you recall that, and yeah, and he and he was killed there by Scott. And there were some contract workers that were staying at the hotel too, who were doing repairs, uh in that area and uh, I think a couple of them were killed. And uh. The whole point of this is that with with with a on in his hand, Scott could commit murder and would not even had an eye. It was easy for him to murder. It just didn't bother him. Later, when he was captured, he said if I he said, if I got out, I would do it again. But what I found interesting and I also put this in the caption of this picture. But all right, I said, a pure homicidal psycopath Loomer Scott had no trouble killing defenseless people but refused to shoot it out for a single police officer. As far as I'm concerned, that speaks volumes of true cowardice in people. This man had no problem killing innocent people who didn't know, who were not armed. But when he and Sloma confronted, was confronted after this shooting in this hotel by this Loan police officer, I kid you not, they gave up. He wouldn't shoot it that way. And it's amazing, and uh yeah, pure sociopath and so you know he got the definitely, but he uh he told them that he would not you know, you know, he was he was going to take care of him thanks himself, and he did. He actually started a fire and burnt himself up in his bed. It was a strange, strange individual. I don't know how much time Sloan got. I'm sure he spent a long time, because you know, as far as the law was concerned, he was an accomplice to all of this. And sure, I'm sure he got he spent a long time in prison.
Speaker 4: I think you got life without parole. The interesting thing was in this rampage, and and we didn't talk about the kind of terry inflicted right away when he kidnapped the Walt and she told them that she was waiting for her daughter, and so the things they told her they were going to do to her daughter cut her up raper and then the other rapes and murders, and was interesting that the reverend, you know, incorrectly, he defied them and said things like you're going to go to the electric chair, which was too far off, but he didn't help his case. Regardless of these true psychopaths. In ten hours, they had killed six people and wounded two of them seriously. And in the simple ten hours of rampage. Interesting, very interesting, and you.
Speaker 5: Have to think that had the minister dealt with him differently, there's a good chance they all would have survived. I mean, they're just is. I mean, he didn't kill e Walt. If this guy would have been even kind to him, just calming him, just being normal with him, they might have survived. But when you have that that antagonism going off and name calling, I mean, the guy was just asking to be killed because you're dealing with a murderer. That might not, you know, kill you if you if you don't cross them and just let them do what they need to do. But he'll absolutely kill you if you start, you know, you know, causing them problem. So it's a shame, but I think that may have contributed to to their deaths.
Speaker 4: Well, we'd never know exactly what they did say to the to the young girl and if it was any indication what he's what they said to the awalt woman about their daughter. That maybe that didn't help either. So I mean, you're right, maybe, but I guess in the heat of the moment, he couldn't, you know, right logical in his thinking process. Right now, our next story is the one called the box Hill murders. And this is June nineteen seventy seven and Dennis Bulham, Jefferson County Police. There's nine one one call about a man gone berserk and shots were fired. And so tell us a little bit about this case here about and Kirk Ellington Tiff.
Speaker 5: Just to set the stage here, this home is called box Hill. It's a really nice estate. It is. It's a really pretty home. It is in a sec east of Louisville. If you go out of downtown Louisville and you head out what is known is the River Road and you and you travel east. You won't it won't take long. Within about you know, maybe four maybe three or four miles, you start hitting an area where these beautiful homes are and uh, and it's a lot of just nice homes and areas that run across that run along the river, the Ohio River. This is where a lot of old money is. And they the publishing family of the Bingham's and you know, had a home out here and it's just been a you know, a top spot for a lot of wealthy people in Louisville for as long as I can remember, from you know, just many many years ago. It's also a relatively quiet area. Okay, it doesn't seem to be a lot of homicides, and but you know, the problems that were in this one home. A lot of times there would just be uh, you know, a man and his wife. But when the son came home. His name was Kirk Ellington Tiff and he again, he was a son who had many problems and probably would have been diagnosed even then as a paranoid schizophrenic. He had had problems for a number of years and he had been living away and he had come home and as I recall, I think it was in the fall of that year. And it's almost cryptic, but his mother had written on the calendar, h Kirk arrived. This a m. And it's just it's a it's a sad tale because this is a this is a young man who was clearly descending into madness. And and you know, there were times that I remember from the police reports, there were times when you know, he would just yell at his mother, threaten her, uh, tell her what he was going to do, you know, threatening violence. You know, she was told by her attorney, you know, you know, you need to have them committed. There were other people that were aware of some things. They thought that they should do something about them. You know, the man she was married to, Kirk's you know stepfather. Uh, he was concerned, but he left apparently from the record, he left the final judgment as to what should happen to uh, their son, you know, to the mom if she wanted to commit him, I mean, he would, no doubt be all for that. Could not bring herself to do that, and she believed that that would hurt him greatly. She must have believed that he wouldn't bump her. But when you have somebody looking at you and they're foaming at the mouth and they're screaming, and they're and they're saying all these things that they're going to do and it has to do with violence and murder, it's time to believe that that's real. But they were actually right before they were murdered. They were they were packing up to move and they were going to sell this brand home and move somewhere else. And they had a few close friends and she had confided into uh to these women the problems she was having with her son, and all of them were in agreement that surely needed to do something about it. She just couldn't bring herself to do it. And a father, and he was, you know, he wouldn't talk about it as much. There were some times when he would confide in people, and he was more shutting off about it. He didn't want to talk about it too much. They probably thought, if we can just weather the storm, it'll be okay. But they couldn't learn the storm because it erupted. And it erupted one night, and just like in the case of Albert and Mabel Bower, that they too were slaughtered in this beautiful ho And just recently when we were putting the book together and I had to go up there and photographs it. It looks as nice today as it did back then. Interesting. Back then here in Louisville, we had a thing when anybody ever called the mambulance there would be a complid it, which is very interesting. They had a number of years when they had that. They don't have that anymore. And when I was researching this case, I was talking to one of the cops who was a police officer at the time. He said, you know, at the time this happened, there would be a police officer with anyone like this and you know, right in the ambula. And I said, yes, I was aware of that. And uh so, uh, you know, I guess anything will get shots fired or anything like that, but but it was, you know, it's just it's just interesting, there's something that horrible could happen here. Of course, after the murder, he takes his parents' car, takes whatever I guess money he can get. I mean, the place is a blood bad Uh well, you know where these people were killed, and he uh drives to Denver and he ditches the car near his uh uh father's place, his real father place, and uh, you know, the police track him there and uh, I mean and they talked to the dad. It's always he's not here anymore.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And he had what he had done is he had uh he had cut his own hands because as he was murdering his parents, they were trying to put the fight and apparently the knives slipped or whatever, and he had cut and and some wounds on his own hands from where like the knife been slipping or something. So uh, he was actually being worked on in uh in Colorado when I was doing the case. Uh you know, they got the case file in front of and uh a lot of times there's there's you know, real evidence too. And uh so there were the car keys of the car and the stowing some other aspects things he had on him during the time this happened. Off to make a long, shorty store short, this kid was, this young man was sided. He didn't Travis Titans and stand Colorado Mouth. I have a personal connection to this case because this this person would be judged too mentally ill to stand trial. And he was housed in a place called Central State Hospital, and I have a brother. You dead now. But I had a brother who had blown his mind on drugs, and he too was at Central State Hospital. And so long before I wrote about this guy named Tiff, I would see him out there and I said, I wo to him once or whatever, and my brother told a funny story. He said, one morning, maybe a Sunday morning whatever, he said, Tiff. After after my brother had had his breakfast, he said, Tiff, well, his food was poisoned and offered my brother his breakfast. My brother said, I knew it wasn't boys, and I ate it. He said, Tip just stood there waiting for me to fall over something, but he didn't do it. But Tiff. One day, and I write about this in there without talking about my brother or or the connection there. Tiff goes in the bathroom and he gets a belt or something or welt something. I can't remember which, but it's it's on my brother's wing, okay, on this this wing that they shared with other patients. He goes back in the bathroom and hangs himself. And by the time they did it him, you know, he's uh. He came. They put him on the respirator, but he was apparent to be brained dead. So he had killed himself, and nobody really knew it until it was, you know, too late, But it was weird. And later when I did the case, I knew exactly who that was because I talked to him. It's the same way I had we get to the thing called the Iceman. I had seen doll eyes out there well. But it was a strange, strange case. And you know, I'm sure when people read the story. The book is actually selling very well and it's getting a lot of good reviews. And when you read the story, he almost kind of you can just feel where this thing is going, even before the parents are killed, you can just feel where it's going, and you want to be able to yell through the pages, you know, do something. If this kid committed whatever you have to do, do something. Surely Alexander would just never sound the order. So, you know, so her son, you know, Kirk Kirk Tiff, he just exploded one night and then that was it, and it all happened in that beautifulest tape that you can see to this day.
Speaker 4: What I wanted to say before we go wrap up this interview, what I wanted to say was the most fascinating part of this story was for me, was despite his clear cut insanity, he was able to convinced the father that he used to live with there was nothing amiss, and his father drove out of the hospital. When police contacted him, he didn't know anything about this and said, well, I'm not sure, but he was probably released from the hospital. And the very bizarre part of this story was is that when the police went to the store, went to the hospital, he was still there low and vield. Yeah, yeah, and so very you know to me, when you're clear cut insane, but yet had the composure like a psychopath to be able to go And again, very very interesting that people could do that, that you could fool your own father after you just slaughtered your mother and your stepfather. Yes, again for no good reason whatsoever. No, no, and a complete overtill.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they weren't. They weren't laying a stone in his path. I mean that he lived there, he ate there. You know, they weren't doing anything that could have even even made him angry at them, and yet this was building in him, and it was you know, and I point out in the book, you know, I described I just shouted out there and she should have believed that she should. She couldn't bring herself to believe that person would kill her, but it and I think I think, I think Albert Mabel Bauer, we're in the same position. They didn't think their son would do that, but yet ye know it happened. It's just a horrible thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, certainly. Now we didn't get a chance to go We just covered just four stories out of this incredible tent. There is a wide variety, right like as we demonstrated here, from the insane killer with some twist and turns at trial to the guy with the Satanic Bible, and we have a host of other stories that really do qualify for weird and bizarre. I want to thank you very much much Kevin for coming on and for those that might want to explore other books that you have. I know you're with Wild Blue Press and you've been published before that, so tell us where they might find out more information about your work, and also if they like to contact you and send you a message.
Speaker 5: Sure, Okay, I have several publishers. I have been published by McFarland, Roman little Field. I'm publishing through Wild Blue Press right now with Life's About Wild Blue Press is that they If you're looking for any of my books, they list them all on my web page at wild Blue press dot com. I also write true crime blocks at wild Blue Press and all of that stuff is archives, so I have quite a bit of material that you can come there and read and you know, click into the archive and it has listing of all my books. If anybody wants to fire me an email if they have any questions or anything like that. Uh, you know, you can also you know, message me on at wild Boo Pressed as far as if you're commenting on any of the stories, but if you want to contact me directly, it's Kevin Underscore Sullivan s U. L L I V A N thirty one at yahoo dot com. Again, that's Kevin Underscore Sullivan at yahoo dot Uh, I'm sorry, Kevin Underscore Sullivan thirty one at yahoo dot com. And so you can you can you can email me there. Always answer all of my emails, so I'll make sure it doesn't get lost in the mix anywhere, and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible if you have any questions for comments.
Speaker 4: Well, it's been great talking to you and I want to thank you again for coming on talking about Kentucky Bloodmath, ten bizarre Tales of murder from the Bluegrass State. I hope to talk to you again real soon. I know you are real prolific writer, so I'm sure we'll be talking to you again real soon.
Speaker 5: All right, well listen, Dan, thank you so much. It's always a joy to be on the show. And I will see you on the next show. As they say, all right.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Kevin. You have a great night. Good night you too.
Speaker 5: Bye bye bye bye