Speaker 1: Mom, you're looking fubb you lous?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you look great. You could do anything with that sewing machine.
Speaker 1: No, I can't. Come on, let's go.
Speaker 2: You mean it's a new dress.
Speaker 1: Where did you get it?
Speaker 2: The outletch store?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Two fines in one store? What are they?
Speaker 3: Adds a fright?
Speaker 2: Let's go?
Speaker 4: How much should he got a bower?
Speaker 3: Let's go?
Speaker 2: We take do with out what he let me go? We text? How much were they?
Speaker 3: Why do I always have to question everything? I do? You look nice as though?
Speaker 2: Four finger discount?
Speaker 5: Dude, Welcome to four fingered Discount.
Speaker 3: Where this weight?
Speaker 6: We're going back to season seven to review scenes from the class Struggle in Springfield.
Speaker 3: I am Dana and I am Guy wearing my Bestionelle suit. Yes, how may times have you altered this said suit?
Speaker 2: Too?
Speaker 3: Minute account?
Speaker 6: But today we are very lucky to rejoin by Nina o Yama and I say, like an up and comer in the Australian comedy scene, she's not anymore.
Speaker 3: She's Nina published. She next pomplished stuff for a while. Yeah, in various formats, whether we stand up, television, acting, writing, directing, she does it all.
Speaker 6: She does it all very well and as you'll final listen today's Chat with Nina. She's easily to fall in love with that you think, not very much, she gets it. She is just she's an absolute charmer, but she's also a bit of a rebel as well, as you'll find out in today's episode.
Speaker 3: Yes, some wayward stuff. Yes, and yeah you might want to put em ups on the kids. There's one or two C bombs in there, storry, I bleeped them out.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, we don't have Disney overlaws to cancel us as well.
Speaker 3: Well, still forever in our hearts, yes, yes.
Speaker 6: Yes, but our scenes from the Class Struggle is the episode we shall be dissecting today. But also don't forget if you want to get early in add free access to future episodes as well as all the episodes all the shows we do here four figure discount. You gut support us on Patreon for as little as just one dollar per month. Link for that is a description of this show, and you can also rate and review us on Apple podcast Spotify. Do you find this show? All of your support is much appreciated. Let's not waste any more time. Let's get into today's Chat with Nina Yam as we review scenes from the class Struggle in Springfield. Heybody, welcome to four Finger dis Game. I am Dana, you are I am guy. Yes, welcome to the podcast where we never use the word hotbed. We do not, indeed, no, but this person might. Her name is Nina Yama. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm a hotbed of excitement for this show.
Speaker 3: That was the silkiest segue we've had yet.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you.
Speaker 6: A segue is something that you've always been talented with.
Speaker 2: No, I just saw an opportunity. I think I'm just an opportunist, you know. I was like, oh, hotbed. I also like I have That quote is one of my favorite moments of this episode where she's when I wrote it down because I thought it was so good.
Speaker 4: But yeah, what is the line?
Speaker 3: It's like and they're all just snobs and whatnot? I will.
Speaker 2: No, but I just remember because I was like, it rolled the way that it rolls off Lisa's mouth was beautiful. Was that club is an exclusionary hot bed of of exclusionist snobs and social seeking and sorry something something, I fucked it already before I get into it anyway.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and Margin is just bothered by the word hot better.
Speaker 3: Forget the word to forget the social commentary or so yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Calls all her friends like social climbers and snobs basically, and just like, don't say the word hotbed.
Speaker 6: Do you find you very much like a like a Chandler, where if you've seen an opportunity to make a zinger, you just have to do it or can you restrain yourself?
Speaker 2: No? I can't. Sorry, you have to. I feel like, if there's someone presents you with an opportunity, you have to go for it.
Speaker 4: That's the rules.
Speaker 3: It's worked out. Pretty wealthy, you're so far you know what I think?
Speaker 7: Yes, that.
Speaker 2: Hashtag blessed. I guess.
Speaker 6: Well, you know we're trying to give you the validation at Marj just seeking in this episode.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, this is a very exclusionary club, the four figure discount clubs.
Speaker 4: An honor to be welcome.
Speaker 2: I didn't even have to cut up my suit to fit in here.
Speaker 6: What are your earliest memories of the Simpsons before we get into a review and everything, like, what are your earliest memories of watching the Simpsons?
Speaker 3: Just knowing the Simpsons was there?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a classic like child of the nineties, I'd say so it's like The Simpsons is like six pm every night, Like you know, you roll up to the TV, the news is on.
Speaker 4: Oh no, you don't know.
Speaker 2: The news isn't on. The news cuts off the Simpsons. But it was like Seinfeld would be on, I think, and you'd catch like the last five minutes of Seinfeld and then you'd be like, then you'd be like, what the hell is this boring shit? And then you I was always like I don't care about this guy, which is weird because then I went on to become a stand up comedian, but I was like, these grown ups talking about grown up stuff. I don't understand. Yeah I could. I literally did not connect with Seinfeld on any level.
Speaker 6: That's so funny because you literally it's so many comedians come on this show now and say not a fan of Seinfeld.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a fan of Seinfeld now. Although my way into Seinfeld was that I was a trivia host. That was like my main job when I was like twenty three, and they would put me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they would put me.
Speaker 2: I think I got put on a Simpsons trivia but they put me onto a Seinfeld trivia and because they were like, hey, do you like Seinfeld, and I was like nah, and they were like, okay, here's like a ten minute highlight reel of all the iconic jokes. Here's the soup ma Nazi, here's the Elane doing the Chicken dance or whatever. And I just like absorbed it really fast in ten minutes and then had to go and perform this Simpsons trivia. I meant this sorry, the Seinfeld trivia as if I was like an intimate fan of Seinfeld, and I pulled it off. But I think after that moment, I was like, maybe Seinfeld is funny, and turns out it is. Guys, like there is a reason why it's the most popular.
Speaker 3: Is shit? So you're assigned to Seinfeld? I was, I was a Seinfeld you can come now Talking Seinfeld podcast sometime.
Speaker 2: Then you have for Talking Seinfeld book. Okay, well I don't know that much. I know it. It was you know, Seinfeld was like it was like when you're hungover after like a big UNI party, you could put on Seinfeld and be like, you know, and so it's just like a good hangover show.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, I'll see my parents. They just despise Seinfelder. So I think by default I was like it mustn't be a good show. And I get older and teenager and I was like, this show is great. Mom's like stupid American shows, not watching that stuff.
Speaker 3: Did I see your mom at a rally on the weekend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, ones like I don't like Seinfeld because I'm a neo NATSI.
Speaker 3: Super Nazi. Okay, yeah, neo Nazi.
Speaker 2: Well but yeah, but yeah, no, I get it. I'm I was team Mom for a long time. I was like, why the fuck is there? But I really liked Friends, I think because they were friends and in Seinfeld there, so everyone sort of hated each other.
Speaker 3: But you can come on my Friends podcast I do with my wife.
Speaker 2: You are hard joke? Is there any TV show podcast that you don't?
Speaker 6: We do Friends, we do Seinfard, we do Futurama, we do south Park, we do Simpsons, we do all the classics.
Speaker 2: They are the classics.
Speaker 3: Well, we do Utopia, we do Taskmasters, Deadlock starting next year, those ones. It could be a good idea because you know, obviously podcasts everyone's doing it right now, But even thought of doing like a Deadlock podcast where you and the cart just sort of banter after an episode or whatever.
Speaker 2: No, but if you bring it up, Amazon may contact me and ask me to it. I did have to for the electronic press kit. I had me and Tom Ballard had to interview all the cast and crew and it was at the very end of shooting after six months in Tasmania, and we were all delirious and I feel like none of it was that usable, but they clipped out this one moment where one time on set I called Katebox mum and I've never lived it down, and they brought it up in the electronic press kit and so that's like the only thing it haunts me to this very day.
Speaker 3: She does have a lovely maternal vibe tour In your defense.
Speaker 2: She she did on the show because she was like helping me through some things, but I wouldn't normally like she is my friends. Like it's like if you called like Dando dad or something like, it's like anyway.
Speaker 6: But yeah, so this one here, you sent out a bunch of episodes you want to maybe touch on, which ones haven't we done, and we went with scenes from the class Struggle in Springfield, which is one of my favorite episodes and one of yours as well. You were saying, why did you choose this one. Why was this on your list?
Speaker 2: I think because someone brought up like we were talking about Simpsons episode and someone maybe not even we weren't talking about Simpsons, but we were talking about, like I think, sort of the things you do to like fit in and how that like ruins your soul. And someone was like it yet's like when Marge cuts the sleeves of that suit, and I was like, fuck, that was a good episode.
Speaker 3: So can I swear on this of course?
Speaker 2: Care? Oh yeah, fuck yeah, hot bed, hot bed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Okay away, but yes, the Simpsons, I would say, like before we move on to the actual episode, like I would describe I have lots of like full on Simpsons fans in my life, to the point where like like during UNI, I like lived in a sharehouse where like everyone was quoting the Simpsons not stop, and I kind of felt left out. And I created like a denomination of Simpsons fan categories that's like one through five. So you guys will be a five easily, but I think I'm a two. And if you're a Simpsons two, it means you can understand the quote and you probably vaguely remember it happening, but you can't say, like, the line that comes after the quote.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well you can't say that was episode seventeen from season six.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. Well that's if you're a level five, that's where that you're actually that one.
Speaker 4: You know that you can do that.
Speaker 2: But then if you're level three, you can say the line that comes after the quote, and then if you're level four, then you can say, like who said the like you can. It's like about the specificity of the Simpsons knowledge. But I will understand when something is a Simpsons quote, and I will be able to understand that it probably who said it, but I wouldn't be able to say the next line afterwards. If that makes.
Speaker 3: Sense, that sounds more like a three.
Speaker 2: Well then I'm a sentence. How dare you? This is my system? I don't know my own freaking system, dude, but yeah, I yeah, that's my system. So I'd say, okay, maybe two, and I'm a two and a half.
Speaker 3: Simpsons So what there's five?
Speaker 6: Like someone who knows what went into making said episode, the behind the scenes, that is that? Is that a level five?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I think it's just quote based.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's like the person who's able to say what episode and what season?
Speaker 3: Okay, you're wearing a Genius of Word t shirt. She's level two. She might not get that reference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, who said that? Who said that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Do you allow me to play sort of amateur psychologists for a moment. It sort of leads into something that you were talking about. I mean, being a creative person in the public sphere. I mean being a very sort of outward person, make a stand up comedian, being a being an actor on screen. I mean, do you think that ties in with a want or a need to fit in to be seen a la Marge in scenes from the Cross Class Struggling Springfield.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, of course. Like I think the reason I love this episode was because I was a very like lonely kid, I think, And that's sort of I feel like Marge. You know, she's like kind of she never does anything for herself. She never is seen by her own family. She's always doing stuff like that quote where she was like, well if this suit could the whole family could wear this suit, then maby are by it. It's like she's always putting herself first and she's never recognized for who she is as a person. And I think like that's something that I definitely felt growing up, Like I just had this like deep loneliness and like hunger for acceptance, And yeah, I definitely related to March in this way.
Speaker 6: Did you put yourself before others when you're.
Speaker 4: A kid, No, I don't think, like, yeah, I just I could.
Speaker 2: I found it very hard to connect with other people, and then when I made friends, I felt fraudulent, like I felt like they weren't really my friends or they were just doing things to be nice, and I could never trust anyone.
Speaker 6: What made you feel this way anything in particular or was it just who you were?
Speaker 2: Probably just my family, Like I think that if you're like a child who grows up as a family punching bag, like it never leaves you. And like I think, yeah, that's like I mean, if you're to saying that, you were like yeah, but it was like have you seen such brave girls?
Speaker 3: I know of it, I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 4: It's very good.
Speaker 2: It's very cringe. It's very hard to watch. Like if you hate cringe comedy, good luck to you.
Speaker 3: But this is a UK TV series, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's just like three girls trying to It's like a mom and a single mom and her two daughters, and they're just sort of trying to survive. But they're the most ego maniacal three women you've ever met, and the things that they do to get stuff are like unhinged. Like there's one episode where this girl she's obsessed with this like her boyfriend who's like on and off and is a drug dealer, and to try and make him jealous, she decides she needs a hickey, so she gets her sister to give her a hickey, and then the boyfriend like calls her, Yeah, we've we've all got our sister to give us a hickey.
Speaker 4: But like even that is like crossing some kind of line.
Speaker 2: And then once she gives her the hickey, the boyfriend like calls the girl and he's like, can you come to the club, And then she's like, oh, he wants me, Like I can't rock up there with a hickey, So she gets a nail file and she files it off and it's just like it's disgusting, Andy, why am I talking about this? Oh? Yeah, there's one character in it called Josie, and just like everyone in her fair is just quite like awful to her for no reason, and I think as a child, I feel like that's sort of what my family felt like. It was just like no matter what I did, it was like my family wouldn't like me or something, and so I just like got really depressed.
Speaker 3: Wow, is that what led to comedy? Then?
Speaker 6: Did you seek happiness through comedy as a result, because I.
Speaker 3: Mean you started pretty young. I mean learning that you've sort of got up first on stage at seventeen, I thought that is nuts. I was crazy, but.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it's like brave or just mentally ill. I think I think it's just like I was, so I was too depressed to function, And I think that like getting up on the stage, you know, like that's like your time where people kind of listen to you and like you feel appreciated for existing. Was I think that like generally in my life, I did not feel that way or like valuable in any way.
Speaker 6: So were you not the class comedian? Would your friends have been surprised, Oh my goodness, you became a comedian?
Speaker 2: No? I think I became really attention I think I've always been really attention seeking, but I think that I figured out how to make it work for me by doing sound up comedy. Like, I don't think anyone was that surprise that I started doing it. I think my family was surprised because they were like, you're the funny one, Like you're the least funny person we've ever met. And I was like fucking but like whatever, but I still talk to your family, right, Yeah, I mean, like I didn't think I didn't really talk to them probably for like five years, and that like fixed. That was like actually really good. They're like they don't listen to watch anything I do, so's it's okay, I'm safe, marked safe from family confrontation on Facebook, but they Yeah, I think like definitely, I've found like attention and validation people giving me attention, and that validation was like basically contributed to my self worth since that since as long as I can remember, and so I think stand up was like a manifestation of that probably and still is.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a prescription drug in a lot of ways, but prescription drugs can also be abused. I mean you this is not an accusation, by the way.
Speaker 2: But I was a stand up addict.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: I was a comedy holock.
Speaker 3: Welcome to yeh sportfing a discount Intervention edition, but it's actually.
Speaker 2: A twelve step program to get me out of stand up into podcasting, which is not addictive podcast.
Speaker 3: Coming to your podcast. What I'm thinking is, though, I mean, did you ever sort of acknowledge that might be sads. You're like, I am seeking too much external validation?
Speaker 2: No, because it was never like it's it's sort of never enough. I don't know. I think it's just like this industry. It was like I was always seeking it, and then you get into this industry where like you're on a quest to stay relevant NonStop, right, and so like yeah, that's part of it is that you just constantly have to be visible, and by visible, you're just like exist, like he's my post on Instagram, Like he's I went to a premiere, I was on this show. I was on the Full Finger Discount podcast. Like you guys actually feeding into my quest to stay relevant. Like I think I'm so hry, but also like so were you because now you're part of the grind too, So you're like I listened to your show and you're like, guys, like subscribe to you our pature and do this.
Speaker 4: I'm doing a sign for a podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm doing this like you're not exempt from from this this addiction. Either.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get back to an office job. That's what I'm doing exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, I never had an office job, but I wouldn't want to start one.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't know what to do. But yeah, I think what was your question?
Speaker 2: Did it?
Speaker 3: And that wasn't me sort of saying to change your ways? You know?
Speaker 2: No, But it's it's like, it's the it's this industry. It feeds, It feeds the beast, That's what I'm gonna say. And the beast it doesn't get what did There's a line Hacks where she's like, it doesn't get better, it only gets harder at the more like successful you are or whatever, which I actually don't agree with. I think it's hardest when you're first starting out and no one's noticing you. But then it's like sort of how to parlay that into longevity so that you don't burn out? I think is maybe what she's talking about in that quote.
Speaker 6: Which part of the industry do you feel most comfortable in now? Like, the writing side of the things is stand up comedy writing.
Speaker 2: I've stand up comedy I toured last year, and I think it like I think it broke me a little bit. I think it's just like, like I love doing stand up, but it's this weird thing because you like, you go on stage to like three hundred people and like you're crushing it, and then you go home and you like sit in your.
Speaker 4: Hotel room and you're like what the fuck, Like You're just.
Speaker 2: Like I'm so alone and like I have no one to talk to you, and I don't know how to feel, and I'm too wired to go to bed even though it's like two o'clock in the morning, and I think like you just end up either drinking or get stoned or like it doesn't feel it feels like for me. I think a lot of people are better at readjusting to calm and gown, but like I'm really not.
Speaker 4: And also before I go on stage.
Speaker 2: Every time I go on stage, I basically have a panic attack and I'm like I'm gonna bomb, They're all gonna hate me. And then what happens is either I do well and I am like thank fuck, or I do okay, and then my brain's like you fucking loser. You didn't do what you did fine, but you didn't do actually good. And then so then I'm alone in the hotel room and I'm just like, you're a piece of shit. You should just kill yourself. And then you're like, no, just get to the next gig and it's all gonna be okay. But there's so much like bargaining to do with like my self worth, I think with stand up, and also when you're touring again, like the being alone in your hotel room thing is such a such a weird spot, man, So how do you decompress?
Speaker 3: I mean, you mentioned getting drunk and or stone, which works for me as well, But I mean, what's your sort of self care regime?
Speaker 2: You don't have one. That's why I got the self care was probably taking a hiatus from stand up, I'd.
Speaker 4: Say, But I think, I I think a good thing.
Speaker 2: Like this year, for the last like three and a half years, I haven't lived in one spot, and I've felt like really destabilized because I've just been in like Melbourne three months work or like Brisbane four months for you like deadlock or whatever. And then i didn't have a place to come back to when I was in Sydney, and so I just felt like very unmoored. And then this year, two months ago, I moved into a house and I was like, I'm just gonna live here for a year, and I already feel a lot better, sir. For stability, Yeah, who knew stability the end it would be yeah crazy.
Speaker 6: This show is brought to you by the four Fingure Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Siefeld, the One about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com, slash.
Speaker 3: Four Finguerre Discount.
Speaker 6: I was pretty much a loner kid and I had friends and I'd like to go to parties and whatnot, but I would I like to be by myself a lot. Mommy used always say why'd you go ahead and play with friends? And like, now I'm happy being I'm happy being alone. And I would often turn to TV as like a friend, you know, the Simpsons. I would I would just hang out with the Simpsons. So I'd be hanging out with and people say, well, that's weird. That TV was your friend, but no, it was almost like it was an associate of mind. Did you ever turn to TV to sort of keep you company when you were felt feeling lonely as a kid.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I weirdly didn't turn to TV.
Speaker 2: I think I grew up in like people ripping episodes of TV to put on YouTube.
Speaker 4: So I used to.
Speaker 2: Get like The It Crowd Part one because you know it on YouTube used to be a ten minute limit, and part two and I had like an iPod and it was like tiny, like the screen was the size of a posted stamp, and I would just rewatch, like The It Crowd, Mighty Booche, like all those sort of British TV shows from that, like Black Books, and when I was a teen neighbor dude, I could like the Crimps from the Mighty Brush, like whenever I find another person at like the Mighty Brush were just like straight into it. But I think that and also like just British stuff I loved. And then at some point, do you know college humor there now no one has drop out, So they used to do sketch shows that went straight like they were on you downloaded them as if they were a podcast, and they would go straight to your iPod and so you just like would get sketches like you upplug your iPhone or your iPod in to get the newest I don't know, I Ronica's album, and it would automatically just be like, here's like forty college humor sketches about the Internet. And so I just started mainlining those and they were a mixture of sketch stand up. Like I saw like Donald Glover perform on there when he was like nineteen years old. I saw like Chelsea Peretti and all the people that are now famous on Dropout, and like it was I think like that was definitely my comedy education. But in terms of like televisions specifically, or like sitting down to watch stuff with my family, I think the more like teenage I got, or the more less I wanted to be around them because I didn't feel good, and so I'd just retreat to my room and like watch my little shows on a postage stamp screen. So yes, yes, it's the same.
Speaker 6: Are you a fan of sketch comedy still? Do you think Australian needs another sketch comedy series or do you think that's sort of that fad. It's not a fad, but that sort of genre is dying.
Speaker 4: No, I think.
Speaker 2: Sketch is evergreen. The problem is that like every time Australian has a sketch comedy show, there's some fucking executive who ruins it. Like there was one called was it we interrupt this broadcast and at every level it looked like it was going to be good. The cast was good, the writing was good, the directing was good, and the editor was some guy who like cut scenes for Maths and he wouldn't cut anything funny and he'd be like, you don't need an establishing shot, you don't need this, you don't need that, and then he just like butchered the whole show single handedly. Allegedly, I probably have to say that. So he.
Speaker 3: Sounds like he sucks.
Speaker 2: He does suck, and everybody hated him, but he was like head of Maths or whatever.
Speaker 4: So it was like this thing.
Speaker 2: Where it was like it was like, that's the thing with these sketch shows. He's like, you have to trust the right creatives to make them, and this country, because they're so risk averse, they would never give a chance to someone who like hasn't worked on maths for twenty years apparently, like that's your prerequisite.
Speaker 4: For cutting a sketch show.
Speaker 2: But there's so many good comedy editors out there that they were just like didn't consider because the company who created it was a reality TV company.
Speaker 4: So I think, like sketch is not dead.
Speaker 2: Australia needs a new sketch show, and I know for a fact that there is one coming along pretty soon, which I think is going to be really great. But yeah, as long as it doesn't get ruined by some like dumb cut executive who has no idea what the fuck he's doing, Like.
Speaker 6: That's zeph a Network TV.
Speaker 2: Yes, as far as I know what you can say. So I actually don't know what channel it's for, or if it's for a channel, or if it's for a streamer, but I know that it's for public because it's not for TikTok. You know, I said it so totally like it's not for TikTok. But sketch is so alive on TikTok. You know, sketch is just taking another form. It's like front facing camera comedy is now sketch.
Speaker 3: I believe I was about to say it's mostly going to be found on YouTube or on TikTok or on instareels or something like that. I don't think yeah, network TELEVII or commercial television or even streaming services kind of had the infrastructure for it or or the audience for it.
Speaker 2: But like I think you should leave with Tim Robinson like that is such a hit. It launched his career. Like when it's done well, it can find an audience. But again, dumb cuts, That's all I'm saying. Like, you know, if you have like there's ten people in a row in terms of like seniority, and the first nine are great and then the tenth one is a fuckhead, the show is going to be bad. And that's just how it is.
Speaker 3: You know, one bad egg.
Speaker 4: One bad egg.
Speaker 2: It's one a very very high senior bad egg.
Speaker 6: Yes, where do you think comedians go now to be discovered? Because I will talk in recently the podcast how we feel like have you Been Paying Attentions a good source now for finding new comedians?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like Have You Been Paying Attention is a fantastic show, and it is a good resource for finding new comedians. But those are comedians that have been handpicked by a talent agent, like if you want to find like new subversive voices, maybe like have you Been Again? I'm a huge fan of it, but it is the people who are like white teeth, commercialized faces, who are palatable for people over sixty. And I think it's good and it's really great that like people new comedians do get handpicked to be on that platform and benefit from that. But I think if you are looking for like kind of more, I don't know how to describe it, like like I think subversive, an alternative and slightly like off the beaten path. Comedians like Instagram, TikTok and YouTube are probably your best bet.
Speaker 6: Where would you start if you're starting at now?
Speaker 3: Is that? Where is that the avenue you would go down? YouTube? Just putting skitz YouTube?
Speaker 2: I was starting comedy now, I would not Would you start?
Speaker 3: Would you start comedy now?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Because you have to look at your face.
Speaker 2: I hate my face.
Speaker 4: Like it's one of the word I fucking hate looking at it. Actually I'm looking at it right now. It looks fine, But it's.
Speaker 2: Just like I think it's like I've been in this industry for like over ten years, if you say, like I started set up when I was seventeen, which I did, and I'm thirty two now, Like that's fifteen years in the industry. It's taken me fifteen years to be able to look at my face and not want to cry and die, like, which I know is like very crazy to say, but it's like it's like if you're a comedian now you have to be okay with being recorded. You have to be okay with like having your voice recorded. Like there's so much brand awareness that you have to have of yourself. And I think that like I just wouldn't my self esteem would be able to handle looking at my face and body twenty four to seven editing clips for the Internet. It's still I still can't watch myself do stand up. Yeah, I don't find myself funny, if that's weird to say.
Speaker 3: The other thing is, though, I mean, in addition to being a creative person, you have to be in your own marketing department as well, and that marketing grind is twenty four seven, you know. I mean, I've always sending up, but I was good at sales. It would have gone into sales there was more money and that shit. But I mean, you know, being like a freelance created person is kind of like well, half the work is actually getting the work, and then half the work is the work.
Speaker 2: It's it's yeah, and then half the work is promoting the work as well. I think it's just being like, look at this work that I did.
Speaker 3: See. I edit all the videos for this as well.
Speaker 6: And I always say how the editing process is like the worst part of this, because that's the real grind, especially like reels and things like that. And so many people just go, just use AI, and I go, I don't want to just throw my continent out there using AI, because you can tell when something being made with AI, and I'm just going too much pride in this thing that I'm creating to just throw an AOI generated to throw it out there. I'm like, I'm just throwing continent now, I'm throwing considered my version of art out there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think that's good, and I think I think no one should be using AI. But that's a whole conversation for another time.
Speaker 3: It is, No, it's a conversation for this time. We're doing it now.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm so conscious that we're like thirty minutes in and like very little has been said about the Most have been like critiques of like how the entertainment industry.
Speaker 3: It is fine, it's been one big tely health session. We put chapters. It's fine, but let's go, let's get back to it.
Speaker 2: So since ages, I got nothing on today, I'm just hungover.
Speaker 3: So that's my Yeah, hungover.
Speaker 6: On a Tuesday sounds like a good Monday night.
Speaker 2: It actually was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm guessing you did you did a time five last night, got back to the hotel roomors going hello, Jack, No.
Speaker 2: I just had dinner with friends. And then it's like, oh, I've drunk like six glasses of wine.
Speaker 3: Did you microwave your own soup?
Speaker 2: I did, and I'm made a big mess, And.
Speaker 6: Yeah, who's your husband with?
Speaker 2: With?
Speaker 3: Was the husband?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's there's another one in that moment there, but I love it was one of my fairite moments. It's the sometimes you hear chitter chatter in the background the Simpsons, and you know, when it's on TV, you can't really hear it properly, but the subtitles now you can. Finally, I'm discovering quotes and the Simpsons that I never realized as a kid. So when they're all sort of bantering Oh, it was a good idea to micro wave your own suit. You hear one of them, go wish. My first time was much like like you're with and oh that Iris is a gem, isn't he? And I'm like, all these quotes I never heard when I was a kid, but because the subtitle, I now know they're there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, that is level six Simpsons behavior is knowing the quotes of the background voices.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's just just yeah, just all these discovering I just love a discovering new new dialogue on The Simpsons that I've seen a thousand times.
Speaker 3: You've gone six sigma honors. Oh my god, your third eyes opened.
Speaker 6: But this is a very this is a very March centric episode. I dare I say it's the March episode of the Golden Ear. I think because we really see in evolution of Margins character. She's someone who's as you're touching on earlier, she's very selfless. She's always thinking of everybody else where here, and they show that at the start of this episode where she's the one who says we don't need a fancy TV, we just need a TV and we're gonna go to the outlet mall it doesn't matter. We're gonna do it on the cheap blah blah blah. And then she finally spoils herself for the first time in forever, and she starts to get this feeling of, Oh, this is what it's like to be noticed, and we see her slowly, slowly evolve into this person who's more focused on appearances than just being her. And it isn't until she sees the reaction that her daughter gives her at the end when she says, you look nice as all and clearly Lisa is disappointed in her and the much disappointed in herself that she goes back to the old ways. But I think this is a really great March episode.
Speaker 2: M I think so too. I think it's my I met like, I haven't watched a lot of March episodes lately, but I think I think it's it feels very relevant now. I think, yeah, I always think that after every Simpson's episodes where I'm like now more than ever twenty twenty five, when the class divide is like widening and the middle class was falling away, you know, it does how did Yeah, It's impossible to know, but yeah, I do think that. I think that it's a combination of like that sort of hype irrelevance to now and then also the fact that it's Marge getting her own storyline because I think the Symptoms is great, but it does sort of suffer from that, like DMN man gets all the storylines and like it's fine. That sort of is a formula in itself. It's like the.
Speaker 4: American dad, the family guy. Like you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Like like idiot dad, capable wife, you know, I know. It's also like the genetic makeup of so much like radio as well, Like women in radio are called the whole because they just go, oh, you can't see that, Like that's like.
Speaker 4: Their whole job is to be the upright person.
Speaker 2: And so I love that there is that flip and Marge gets to be deranged in her way, which is just wanting to be wealthier.
Speaker 3: Basically, even Marge has faults.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even perfect Marge.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, Elishness as a hell of a drug. And I mean it's not necessarily even a bad selfishness, just a response to being selfless for so long, you know, having this opportunity to put yourself front and the sender to actually acknowledge your wants and needs and have to have an opportunity to do that, to be sort of like the version of yourself that you always thought that you were, and then but also recognizing that the cost of that is maybe more than you're willing to pay. I think it gives this episode a real relevance and a real resonance.
Speaker 2: I think completely. And I think there is that element like when she meets that woman from high school and she's like, Oh, you're more.
Speaker 4: Than that girl.
Speaker 2: You look exactly the same. You're still that girl I never paid attention to at high school. But there is that sort of thing where like it's on a deeper level, you know, it's not just about her life now, it's like about who she was and who she thought she would be, as you were saying, And so I think that that's like a very interesting when she says, oh, and to think I heard you married that Homer Simpson and she's like, I did awkward pause, Okay, yeah, She's like, come show me the pumps.
Speaker 6: I wasn't one of the cool kids at school, and I think, like margin obviously.
Speaker 3: Being the same.
Speaker 6: I feel like because she this Evelyn was the one who invited her as well, it's almost like trying to go back to school and go, oh, I'm finally getting to hang out with the cool kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a do over almost.
Speaker 3: She's well as that saying it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Speaker 4: Who says that?
Speaker 6: But you was touching on earlier how the comedy is very much dumb husband, capable wife. You're writing comedy now? That seemed to be very much the thing in the eighties, nineties, even early two thousands. Is that still the thing now? Is that the default sort of go to for comedy anymore when it comes to family situations?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I look honestly like, probably yes to an extent, But I do think that it seems to me women are given more agents see and sort of I don't know, freedom or sexuality almost I think then Marge, I find Marge very like I don't know how to describe it, man like full maternal, whereas like I think, like even Lois is about is allowed to be like horny sometimes. You know, it's just I feel like, you know, they're given agency in different ways. But I look, honestly, I have worked in adult animation, and I think that there was a real effort to make sure that even though we I'm talking about specifically about Kohala Mann, which is a show that I worked on, which again was a family show.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's yeah, Hugh Jackman.
Speaker 2: Clang, but you know, yeah you claimed but the Yeah, we did have that sort of family makeup where it was like, you know, psycho husband who thinks he knows everything and like wife who sort of has to teach him. But I think that we really tried to like flesh her out and give her real agency and real backstory and secrets that she kept from him.
Speaker 4: And yeah, and the writer's room.
Speaker 2: Again was like fifty percent women as well, so we were i'd say, like very aware of falling into that trope and just very adept at finding ways to kind of like negate it and giving like the wife the a story occasionally and also making Kevin Okay kual Man like open to learning. I think, and The Simpsons was like a huge inspiration for that show because at its heart it is about.
Speaker 4: A family, and an Australian family at that.
Speaker 6: Well, that's just what makes Sipson so great, and particularly like we call the Golden Ear, like the first nine seasons where the show sort of evolved into something it became very cartoony. Later on, we had this term called jerkass Homer, where Homer wasn't really held accountable for his being just being shithead. Really wasn't your bad husband, bad father. There's just a little moments in this episode here which I liked, where he's excited to go play golf and Marge's doing her outfit or whatever, and Lisa's on the bed and just gives them both a big kiss before he leaves, And I was like, just little touches like that just make this feel like a real family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they love.
Speaker 2: Each other deeply, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, incredibly sympathetic Homer in this episode.
Speaker 2: I got to say, yeah.
Speaker 4: He is very like on board.
Speaker 2: I love the amount of lind like he gets all these lines that are sort of they're like joke lines, but they're sort of him saying subtext where he's like, Colm, on, kids, let's go sit in the car until your mom's.
Speaker 5: Done fluting in.
Speaker 4: There's like certain things of that.
Speaker 2: He's like quite astute. The other thing I love about Homer, which I think is probably main redeeming quality, which is that he's an idiot savant, Like he is a man, that is like a dumb cut, but he is surprisingly good at a lot of things.
Speaker 3: We always love when he's good at something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so like this episode, I think they're just like, yeah, he's a fucking golf genius, and you're like that's redeeming somehow that he's able to fit into this, you know, upper class place because of his idiot savant nature.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's a great quote by I think it's by Alfred Hitchcock who said, you know, an audience will forgive a character anything as long as they're good at their job. Yeah, if they're good at a task. Yeah. I mean, although I've got to pick a few knits here, why did Homer not quit the power plant and you know, either go on the circuit Happy Gilmore style or just become a golf pro god sax. That is Quoe. That's why we need the Simpsons to be back to normal next week.
Speaker 2: Because it was the B story.
Speaker 6: I do think I did have my notes though that I do think they could have got a Happy Gilmore esque kind of episode out of the Simpsons.
Speaker 3: I think it would have been a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm surprised that they didn't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, especially maybe Happy Gilmore two coming out, maybe they.
Speaker 4: Will, or like a Caddy.
Speaker 3: Shack even, yeah, Caddy Shak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's so much golf stuff, you should write them.
Speaker 6: I just like the sports based I just like the sports based episodes. But because you're a dude, Yeah, it's true, you're touching on how I.
Speaker 2: Like the closed based ones because I'm a woman.
Speaker 6: The Simpsons Golden ear right, we all worship it and we love it. But it was a very male dominated writers room. There weren't that many women. But it's interesting that you chose this episode. And did you know this was the first episode to be credited with a female director and a female writer.
Speaker 2: No, I did not know that. Maybe I just saidsed it in my in my lady booth. I was it.
Speaker 3: Was a stipulation that you wouldn't be pushing your feminist agender on this episode.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I've broken contract. I guess I don't know, lock me up for whatever they do when you break your NDA. But yeah, no, I honestly had no idea, But I just I just liked this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And Jennifer Critten, who wrote this episode, she wrote some of my favorite episodes. So and Maggie makes three now you might remember that one as they do it for her moment no at the end, yes, yeah, which I think is the greatest ending in the history of the Simpsons. And she wrote that episode. She wrote this one as well. She wrote the one where there's teachers go on strike, you know, the taxes the fingers thing needs to take to that one. She wrote this one bit of the twenty two short films about Springfield. And she wrote the Pretzel Wagon episode with Marge as well.
Speaker 3: I just want to give you a share there because you did a Lorady Troy mccluth there. You may remember this episode is this.
Speaker 2: I feel like all those episodes are like sort of quietly gut wrenching, is how I would describe. Like. There's sort of the ones where you come away especially do it for her. I remember, that's such that and that's still like people quote that all the time.
Speaker 3: That's that's peak Simpsons.
Speaker 6: If I say, if I'm ever trying to convince someone that Simpsons is one of the greatest shows of all time, I show them just that moment, just that you'll watch the whole episode to build up to it, but it just shows that's why we love the Simpsons. Seeing what Homer. You know, he doesn't talk about Maggie at home, it doesn't have all photos around the house, but where he needs her the most is at his workplace.
Speaker 3: It's just like it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's absolutely like gut wrenching. Yeah, I love that. Oh that's so I love hearing that. I love that lineage my favorite.
Speaker 6: Do you have any favorite moments from this episode?
Speaker 2: I've got a list on my computer that I'm like, can I Oh, actually no, This is my favorite part of the entire episode.
Speaker 4: When she rips the dress.
Speaker 2: It's like sort of, you know, this huge moment of crisis for her when she's made this perfect dress for the ball and then the the sewing machine eats it and then she ends up with these like ripped chatters of this unsalvageable thing, and she goes, I guess in moments like these, all you can do is laugh.
Speaker 4: And then she just quietly.
Speaker 2: Sits on a stool and she stares into the distance, and I just think that's like the funniest I don't know. That to me is like, yeah, that's like what life is like sometimes, where you're just like, I guess all you can do is laugh.
Speaker 6: And then you're just like, I've had moments in life where I've gotten through them because I just do what Marge I here, I'm like, just keep your composure, It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but inside, yeah, feeling nothing almost is like.
Speaker 6: I love this is very much relatable for me. Very relateable for me is the moment where Homer says, what's the point in going out? We're just gonna wind up back here anyway? That is such a moder to live.
Speaker 2: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: What about you? I had that as well. I mean, that is definitely a that I've been living by. I thought this was just a really great traditional sitcom gag. But you know, marshaling about, I've got this lovely new apport. Wouldn't it be nice to go somewhere. Wouldn't be nice to go to the opera or something cut to the opera? And then it's just doing the vacuuming. So watching La Traviata on TV. By the way, I also love that the they've ended up buying the carnival clearly from the from the Ogdenville outlet more and it's a piece of shit TV. You can't use the vacuum cleaner around it with that's getting all staticky.
Speaker 2: I love the opening line of like the sales pitch, because you think that sort of skeezy salesman is going to be like, I'm not going to lie to you. These are not amazing TVs. But he goes, I'm not going to lie to you. These are all superior machines.
Speaker 3: That guy guys are dope sales. But I mean, because what's wise guy. Well, he is, yeah, one of my one of my it's his favorite secondary, one of my favorite characters, just in terms of his voice. But I mean playing on your or playing on the customers, playing on the customer, Oh my god, excuse me, playing on the customers expertise as they say. It's like if you're someone who likes to watch TV, and I mean really watch it. That's right. I am a pro. I thought that was marvelous.
Speaker 6: This show is brought to you by the Four Fingered Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould the one about friends and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger discount.
Speaker 3: Anytime you get a sip Wood shout out, it is level level two Simpsons see that. You can tell you I know who it is because I'm a TV though, But let me put the nerd hat on for tell me. Back in the nineties, there was a very popular cop show called NYPD Blue.
Speaker 6: I remember saying primos for NYPD Blue. Maybe I guess you're what four or five years younger than me?
Speaker 3: Maybe not? Yeah, okay, starring the nineties most unlikely sexym well David Caruso. Wow, But his offsider was here, Andy Sipperwitz, a slightly overweight, chainsmoking cop trying to drop in the odd racist and sexual slur who became much beloved by by viewers worldwide. Andy sipplewit ni yes was up and parading around the short sleeve shirt with a tie on, and of course to be Homer's hero. Of course, Yeah, but Sipplewits does it love that? And one last thing, this line just sort of stuck me right in the heart. It's like, it'd be nice for someone to call me sir without following it with your making a scene, someone who has someone who was made a scene on occasion it's like, oh man.
Speaker 6: Can you recall a time you've ever made a scene Nina, and you knew, and you knew mid scene you're like, oh my god, I'm making a scene, but I'm so far into it now, just going to go with it, or you were reminded the following.
Speaker 2: Day, Like any time I think I, oh no, I don't want to it just makes me look kind of like an asshole. But like I was drinking one time until like closing at this like old kind of bar, and I think it was just like you when you're drinking and you like want to keep drinking and then you're like this just doesn't show me in a good light. Oh yeah, but this the bartender was like didn't call last Oh no, they I went and bought a round of drinks and then I had paid for them, and as I went to take them, the manner of the security guard was like, oh, we're actually closed, and I was like, oh well, I've already like bought these drinks and like, you guys didn't call lust drinks, so I'm we'll just take them.
Speaker 4: We'll drink it really fast and we'll leave.
Speaker 2: And he was like no, and then he poured the drinks out in front of me, and I was just like and then they had to refund my purpse, like it just seemed like this egregious kind of thing. And I was like, come on, man, like trying to level with him, and I think I told him. I was like, don't you remember like before the lockout Laws, like we could just drink and like be civil and like trust each other to know. And he was like, he was like you wouldn't know when the lockout Laws work, Like how old are you? And I was like I am forty five years old and he was like you look really good for your age. And I was like, yeah, give me the fucking drinks. They did not give me the drinks, but it was like one of my most Like we was just trying to convince this security guard that I was like ten years older than I was, just to prove a point. But I was just like, because I was really angry that they took the drinks back. Anyway, they probably shouldn't have sentd me. I was like white, like wasted, like I wasn't you know fully there, But I was bummed that, yeah, ten minutes to closing. They like. I was like, I got like nine out ten steps the way there.
Speaker 6: And that feels like such a waste to just pour the drinks. I was like, even for yourself, at least don't waste the beer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to do that in front of me, like God, come on. And then to refund my card. That was the other crazy thing. I was like, you'd rather lose like thirty bucks than just yeah, let someone have something.
Speaker 4: It just felt like an ego, an ego thing.
Speaker 3: Guess props to you for thinking on your feet though claiming to be forty.
Speaker 2: Five the way, I'm an improviser, But that was the funniest thing that he was like, well, you look really good for your age, and I was like, thank you.
Speaker 3: Can I have your number? You say you don't like Seinfeld, This sounds like a Seinfeld scene. Next question, you there eating the beast.
Speaker 6: All right, let's get some trivia before we get skimven through this episode. So my first question for you both is who has a TV shaped like a fifties diner?
Speaker 3: What is the place at?
Speaker 6: Bart suggests No good.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, but I do remember the quote afterwards, which is. Lisa says something like, oh, we could get like a Native American Indian style TV from here, and Marge says, we can't afford to shop at a place with a political ethos. Yeah, sorry political man. I was like, that's so real, man, Like it is so expensive to be like a morally correct shopper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to say the sharper image you would be correcting day by reading it off the screen. Here is the right looking up to the left, back into the left. I feel it is little all right, what's your.
Speaker 4: Next question inside of trading happening here?
Speaker 2: When you guys hear the same studio.
Speaker 3: When Marge is asking to go out in a new outfit, Homer suggests which establishment, Oh.
Speaker 2: Spurlock's Cafeteria.
Speaker 3: Well done, well played, Nina, I wouldn't have got that. Well played. And you say you're a level too, Come.
Speaker 2: On, well, I did just what. I watched this episode twice. I watched it once last night to sort of make sure that I watched it, and then I watched it once again this morning, and then wrote down my favorite lines.
Speaker 6: What's your memory like? Because I find you I'm thirty six now, and I mean you're you're thirty what thirty one?
Speaker 3: Thirty thirty two?
Speaker 2: Actually turned thirty two like a couple of weeks ago anyway.
Speaker 6: Oh, gradually I turned thirty seven in two days. Anyway, I've known since being a dad and getting less sleep, my memory is fading. Do you how's your memory going these days? Like you still remember that quote? I couldn't remember that quote.
Speaker 2: I'm well, I I think that one is sort of just because it was fresh in my braid and I felt I thought that was a really funny response. I think my memory is good if I think something's if I remember, if it's worth remembering, if I remember that moment, yeah, if it's worth remembering. But I think my memory is bad if I don't give a shit. I guess it's that ADHD thing where you're like, I diligently applied to myself to anything that's interesting, and then the moment that it's like sports or numbers or science, my brain is just like.
Speaker 4: No, why would you.
Speaker 2: But Simpson's quotes that I watched, you know, twice in the last twenty four hours, I think they're okay right now.
Speaker 3: But six classes of the wine under the belt.
Speaker 2: Props, Well, yeah, I mean maybe that helped. Maybe it's that thing of like when you're drunk and you're like watching something like no, I don't know, but maybe, well do you play I play this game whenever I'm like at a dinner party, which is I try and remember every single person's name, and it's like a game for me where I'm like, oh blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. And then at some point you're sitting at a dinner table and you're like, I reckon, I know every single person's name here, and if you can fire off like fifteen names in a row or whatever ten names in a row, everyone's like yay.
Speaker 4: And then in my rain, I'm like yay, like I can't remember the.
Speaker 3: Last one was of hanging out with more than ten people.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, so I guess you're used to doing, you know, two three people recording a podcast.
Speaker 3: Booth where Dad Life, Dad Life. Yeah, but i's mind.
Speaker 2: But if you're on like a set and you're like you're having to meet a whole bunch of people, like, that's when I start playing that game because I'm terrified of getting dementia, and so I'm like, we've got to be exercising this memory.
Speaker 4: You guys, we've got to be like keeping it, yeah, keeping it.
Speaker 2: All that bag. But I will say, as soon as I leave a set, I completely forget every single person's name on that set.
Speaker 6: So you do that more is also like just a courtesy thing as well. Just be like, hey, I know you, you you exist, I know your name. I remember You're not just another camera person. You're important.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're David and you special.
Speaker 3: I think you're the dB who's going to be lighting and shooting me.
Speaker 2: You want me, Yeah, I have to pay lift service to you, so you make me look good? No, I think that's sort of like it's almost like I challenge myself and that's the fun of it. And then like the kind of plus, like the positive you know, side effect is that then you make everyone around you feel good. And I think that's sort of like the perfect nexus of like ways to live your life, is that if you're having fun and you're making everyone around you feel good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good philosophy.
Speaker 6: Well, my next question is clear as he suggests a shirt for brandan when they're in the in the outlet store. What does the shirt say?
Speaker 2: It says classy Lassie correct, what on? Yeah, and then she's like, I gotta wear the shirt. Waffle House gave.
Speaker 3: Me, dairy Queen gave me, derry queen gave me. Yeah, what is dairy queen. It's like waffle house. Yeah, it's yeah, although it does Americans do things weirdly, as we all know. But you can get like many things dairy queen. You would assume you would just get like soft serve or something like that, but I think you can get like Burger's dairy queen.
Speaker 4: I think you get like hot dogs.
Speaker 2: I feel like every restaurant is a fast food restaurant.
Speaker 3: Like a Wendy's. Is it like a Wendy's.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's the iconic line from John Cougar Mellencamp song Jack and Diane where they're sucking on sucking on chili dogs outside the Tasty Freeze or the dairy Queen or something like that.
Speaker 6: Okay, wait, before my time sucks on a chili dog.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but anyway, I guess you got to do.
Speaker 2: A John Cougar Meloncamp podcast.
Speaker 3: Now we do? Yeah, why not? That's a solo project. One more question we'll get into the episode. Marge has offered various outfits by her sisters after the demise of her Chanelle outfit, which one does she refer to as a bit.
Speaker 4: Peppery, oh, the red latex one with this.
Speaker 3: It's the maroon, maroon something, maroon delight, maroon something like that. Is it maroon? There's maroon in there? Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Is it maroon fantasy maroons. It is called fantasy in maroon, fantasy.
Speaker 3: In maroon, maroon or maron maroon maroon.
Speaker 6: I say maron usually, I think I thought she said maroon on there. Now they say Carmon's had a caramel.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: I say marone, But then I say maroon five.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's yeah, it's weird. That's I swear, that's not where it comes from. Maybe it's why I'm saying maroon isn't well.
Speaker 3: Probably, I mean, I think it's generally an American term, although yeah, marone five just doesn't sound right. You can't animal Levin's on the line, So no, man, you fucked it all.
Speaker 6: Is marone's spelt with is moron's spelt the same way maroon five is spelled because it was spelt maroon two zero.
Speaker 3: Then it's.
Speaker 6: Why we say maron. It should be maroon right the way it's spelt.
Speaker 2: But it's also like maroon is like marooned on an island.
Speaker 3: So I was just about to say that. I mean, yeah, Robinson Cruzo was not marone, not a desert island exactly. There we go.
Speaker 2: The other bit I like about that scene is where she tries on that really slutty purple dress, and like Paty yourself was like I bought this for a Halloween costume that it made it into the regular rotation, and I was like, I remember watching that being like a woman must have written this, because I was like, men don't buy things for slutty Halloween costumes, and that it made like I was like, that would never I was like, I think my thought was somebody asked their girlfriend about this or something like.
Speaker 6: I was just it was very It's interesting A lot of time you watch it and you go you can tell when something has been written by a woman. On the Simpsons, and particularly the March episodes, like you can you can genuinely tell. Yeah, but but this episode here scenes from the class Struggle in Springfield originally aired February fourth, nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: What were You doing? February fourth, nineteen ninety sixteen.
Speaker 4: I was three.
Speaker 3: You're three. Yeah, actually I was two two. Wait I wasn't even two and a half. Bathurst. Is that where you grew up Bathurst? Is that right?
Speaker 2: I grew up in Sydney, but I moved to bath for university.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, and to pursue your car racing career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well of course I did.
Speaker 2: I got thirteen speeding fines and I was like, you can't shure the cop So you're training for the Births one thousand on the Great Western Highway at two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 4: It's good. At least they didn't bathalyze me.
Speaker 2: At the same time, at least beeding cameras can't breathalyze you, is all I'll say.
Speaker 6: Are you Are you a speed demon these days?
Speaker 2: No? Sometimes, like I don't know what it is about. Like when I'm in Sydney, I know the rules, Like I know the road so well that I know to look what to look out for a different city. Yeah, you know this, like you know like where the signs are. Like it's very it feels I'm fluent in Sydney road language. But then when I went to Brisbane to shoot deadlock, I just I found I've sped so much that like now I cannot legally drive in Queensland, and I don't even know where I was speeding too, Like I have no real recollection. But I remember getting lost a lot, and then I remember being angry when I got lost, like it would be like fifteen minutes to your destination and then you take a wrong turn and it's like forty five minutes to your destination and then I'm like, fuck, I gotta, like, you know, catch up. And I think it was in those times that I did speed, but in my brain I was like, well took me the wrong way, so like it's my god given right to do one hundred and forty in a seventy zone. So yeah, I cont legally driving Queenside now. But in Sydney, I'm very obedient. I'd say I respect the rules of my town.
Speaker 6: But visioning your like highway patrol And it's like Nina was incarcerated. Were these all speed fines that you just got in the mail or were you pulled over and the cart was like, Nina, this is the tenth fine.
Speaker 2: No, they were all they were all cameras, all cameras on the Great Western Highway, like they were pretty much all at Mount Vick. I think there was, because it's like this one moment where it's it's a hundred, it's sixty to one hundred, and I think in my brain, I'm always I was always like, well, the hundred's coming up, and then I would go one hundred and then they'd be like, you've gone thirty five kilometers over the speed limit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got my license taken away.
Speaker 2: Well, I got it suspended twice, and then I got it suspended for a third time. Plus I had to do like six months of no driving during that time so that I could reapply for my license.
Speaker 3: So then when I drive during that time, I'm assuming by accident.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't drive during I drove what was it was six months. I didn't drive for like nine months, and then I was like, well, I've done my you know, sabbatical, like it's time for me to drive again. And then I drove for six months more. And then I went to the RTA and I was like, hello, like, I'd like to renew my license because I think it it was time for me to get my green peas or something. And they were like, you're legally not allowed to drive right now, you had to do your three months of suspension. Then you had to come into the RTA and do another road rules test as if you were going for your peas the first time and so and then they were like, and now you have to do it one more year on your peas. So even though I got my first red peas when I was twenty, I think I didn't get onto my full license until I was like twenty eight or twenty nine.
Speaker 4: Because look, Sydney's walkable. Sydney's a public transport city.
Speaker 2: It's fairly walkable. Don't worry.
Speaker 4: Everyone's safe.
Speaker 2: Everyone cast Citney and I'm so sorry if you ever see me on the road.
Speaker 6: Well we're thankfully not quite in the city. We're in a place called Geelong, which you know. Do you know where Gelong is? It's like an hour drive from Melbourne. Well it's an hour drive for most people. It's half an alphabina.
Speaker 2: It would be down down south below Melbourne, right, yeah, down down south, Yeah, that's it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The cats, the Geelong cat.
Speaker 3: Geelong Cats. There you go. You want our hearts.
Speaker 6: So February fourth, nineteen ninety six, the top three we do talk of the top three films at US box office when It's episode aired, and the top three were Mister Holland's Opens at number three, The Jura, which never heard of, at number two, and Black Sheep, the comedy with Farley at number one.
Speaker 2: I haven't never heard of any of these films.
Speaker 3: You heard of Chris Farley?
Speaker 4: Right, of course, I've heard of Chris.
Speaker 2: I ain't watching Black Sheep. No.
Speaker 6: He did a bunch of films in the nineties with what's his face? Bade, didn't we Spade.
Speaker 3: Spade had a great line about this, I think on one of the Snel retrospectives goes. I think he was doing a tribute to Farley, and he said, me and Chris Farley made a great movie called Tommy Boy, and another movie called Black Sheep.
Speaker 2: Tommy Boy was supposed to be iconic.
Speaker 3: Though well was number one. When Spade was on, he was on, he was good. The Duror is, as you might guess, illegal through a little bit of a John grishamknoff off with Demi Moore and Alec Baldwin and mister Holns. Obis is kind of a Dead Poets Sciarding knockoff, except Richard Dreyfus is a music teacher with a deaf son, and.
Speaker 6: Speaking of our household, because my mom's mum, my grandmother, she's deaf, so she's been deaf since birth, so suddenly, which has always been a thing in our house, So that movie was always getting rotation in the Dando household. There we go, Yeah, all right, but yeah, so Cauch gave for this one. The living room is bathed in black light her it turns a light on, and everything it was returned to normal. The episode keeps off of the family watching the Bumblebee Man on TV doing his sketch comedy show. Grandpa is not a fan of it, so he wants to change the channel and just completely fucks the TV up, doesn't he does?
Speaker 3: Indeed, Yes, I mean you may not have guessed. I've got a few more years on the both of you.
Speaker 2: I thought you were just bored when you were like thirty years old.
Speaker 3: Man, that's true. It's forty five. I'm looking great for forty five. Yes, I do recall the day when televisions were big, boxy items that were made of wires and lights. I still just remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so live so I like, come on.
Speaker 6: It wasn't until like what to mid early two thousands that they actually became flat screen TVs like a whole new world. I still want to getting that first. The first big TV we got when we were kids was an eighty centimeter big Sony television, and I remember the first thing we put on was The Simpsons and it just felt like I was like, we're in the cinema and I looked back around, like eighty centimeter TV.
Speaker 3: It felt so big at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now that's just sort of like a computer monitor or something like.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's nothing. Yeah, yeah, true.
Speaker 2: I remember when we got a big TV you had to change it was too bright, and there was like a special button that would bring the brightness down so your eyes weren't singed by the colors.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you might be able to see behind me. I'm sure I've can see me. Maybe not, but you see it on the other camera. But I've got an old school TV like the ones used to have in the nineties or whatnot. And the kids put it on to play my old school at Saga and Nintendo and whatnot. And you put it on, you just hear this like a hiss sound. It's just pollution in the air. Just this radiation, like this is not.
Speaker 3: Good, the gears turning inside.
Speaker 6: This show is brought to you by the four Fingered Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, talking Siefould, the One about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four fingure Discount. But they it cuts to them dropping Grandpa off at the old folks home. Is it on their way to get a new TV?
Speaker 2: I love that, like ruthless, like just full putt it like it's just like this guy's not going to be the Like just you know, it's such a good hard cut.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, you.
Speaker 6: Don't need them being angry at him. It's just cut to him being dropped, just like.
Speaker 2: That guy.
Speaker 6: But Bar suggests they get the one from the It looks like a fifty is Dyna Lisa once one assembled by Hope Indians as you were saying earlier, and marches they can't afford to shop any sort that has the philosophy it's going to go to the outlet more in Ogdenville, and Ogdenville is one of the places that remember the monorail episode Nina, That's where le Lanley sells one of the monorails to Ogdenville. Oh yeah, and they have to go down a paved road which ends in sixty four miles and then the former Japanese internment camp ninety miles. Ogdenville is now two hundred and seventy seven miles. I think I was like four hundred and thirty miles or something. It's how far the out to travel, which is how far in kilometers? It's one point six miles. No maths.
Speaker 3: Sorry. If we do have catchphrases on the show, one of them was my understanding there would be no math. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So they arrived at the Appliant zone as the son is setting. They've been driving all day your gray Market superstore, and this whole scene is just ledible for me because, like, we never had a great deal of money when I was growing up, so Mum was always one a stickler for finding a bargain. You know, I'd be like, Mum, it's only like ten dollars. But this is ten dollars cheap or we can use it.
Speaker 3: To buy bread and milk? And I'm like, okay, mom, So I watched it. This is minds.
Speaker 6: We were going shopping with mum. She's always looking for the bargain.
Speaker 3: Also looking to feed a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, feeder chart. Well you can get a name brand ba Bleed.
Speaker 6: You know, yeah yeah, but we always got like we go the Sunday We got the Sunday Market, just the market down at the local racetrack, and it was like all these knockoff clothes and we ended up getting all that and got kids.
Speaker 3: They can't tell the difference, but I knew.
Speaker 6: But it's like I used to go to go to school feeling so cool because I had the popular clothes, you know, the branded clothes there. Remember a thing called data Ali g used to wear it. Remember data Data. Everyone was wearing it where I was from anyway. And my Mom's like, we can't afford that. And we went to the Sunday Market. Remember they had of like ten bucks, and I was like, finally I can fit in. I've got this, got the same jackets everybody else. Look back now and I'm like, these jacks are terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're also like I met like because we had the same at Patty's Markets and they would have like knockoff Chanelle. Like I remember buying like little like ten dollars Chanel earrings and be like I'm gout Chanelle earrings, but it was like they weren't real. Like I don't think I've owned a single like real great brand name thing in my entire life.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Dimmi's is a New South Wales thing at all. It's like like Target, but it was like the lower next level there. It was like you know, level two.
Speaker 6: But it's not Team you tell me whatever it's called, well.
Speaker 3: Something like that, but a department store, but it would sort of get seconds or knockoffs, but it would occasionally had like legitimate brands and sometimes from overseas. I remember going in there and sort of going through the t the T shirt racks. It's like, I think this is legit, Abercrombie and Fitch. I mean you could feel like the weight of the of the T shirt. It's like and it was something like twenty bucks or something, which was a little pricey, but also it's like I think this might be kind of a bargain, and you would just you would honestly be like Indiana fucking Joanes. It's like, oh my god, I've discovered, you know, this grand treasure mittle more than garbage wild.
Speaker 6: But yeah, Homer is stunned by by the crappy knockoffs like the Panaphonics and the magnet Box Sawny.
Speaker 3: Yes, my personal favorite is the Sawny Is sawn is so funny, the Sawny.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Shopping like this though, for me, I find that I'm a big Lego fan, but I don't need the legit Lego. So whenever I see a new Lego is being released, I go on Ali Express, Yes, and I just find the Lego knockoffs. And I've got all these Legos. Now you paid like a hundred bucks for it, but you go to the store, it's like twelve hundred and I'm not paying that.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just plastic. It's Lego.
Speaker 6: But I've got I've got friends who need to have they need that brand, they need that the knowledge of going I've got the real one. I'm like, ye see, I don't but yeah, yeah, yeah. But this is where wise Guy comes over the salesman and he convinces him to get the cannavalle. It's two pronged wall plug, pre molded, hand grip, well durable, out of casing to prevent fall aparts.
Speaker 2: One of it's just like parts of a tiv A hand grip, durable, the casing to prevent fall apart. Look at you, low low prices on famous brand name electronics. Oh be a sap.
Speaker 1: Dad, These are just crappy knockoffs.
Speaker 8: I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it, and look jerious magnet bugs and sorny.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 8: I'm not going to delay to you. Those are all superior machines. But if you like to watch your TV, and I mean really watch it, you want the kind of valley. It features two pronged wall plug, pre molded hand the grip, well durable, outer casing to prevent fall apart.
Speaker 7: Sold.
Speaker 3: You wrap it up, I'll start bringing in the pennies.
Speaker 6: Wise Guy, that's what it's what he's called wise Guy because he's such a versatile character that can put him into any episode and he just he fits and he works in any job. Do you have any favorite side characters of the Simpsons, Nina, Oh oh, you mentioned bleeding Gumers Murphy the episode before.
Speaker 4: Like you like, yeah, I love his relationship with Lisa.
Speaker 2: I think it's interesting because I think Lisa is the character that I most relate to the Simpsons, and I think it makes sense because my family dynamic was like sister and brother and two parents, like it was the same sort of genetic makeup. Oh yeah, and Maggie's there, but we didn't fuck Maggie.
Speaker 3: She doesn't come yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: She's a baby, like who case, she's a baby forever.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think I like, I love, I love that that's her sort of like arc is that she's sort of seen by like one mentor and that's sort of like the thing that sustains her.
Speaker 6: And she's the only one that really worships him as well, you know, she's like yeah, biggest fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But meanwhile, speaking of Lisa and Marge, they're stepping out the fashion mart. They've got a bra barrel you can browse through at the front, and Marge and Lisa that they don't know who these closed the fall? Who are they? Look? Who are these four?
Speaker 6: And we cut to cleat Us and he suggests the shit for Brandy, And we were discussing earlier, and then this is what Lisa finds the Chanelle suit. Now, Marge says, she, well, she can't believe it's a real Chanel. She holds it the tag and you can't actually see the word Chanelle.
Speaker 2: Meant to be a real Chanel, right like totally.
Speaker 6: Like, But the thing is they this is a theory we still don't know to this day. Is it meant to be a knockoff Chanelle or is it actually a Chanell that's actually marked down and damaged in some way? And they're because they weren't allowed to use the word show the word Chanelle on the show, which is why that's why her finger covers it, but also creates the hypothetical of, well, maybe it's not a real Chanelle. She didn't read the tag properly. What theory are you going with?
Speaker 2: I sort of like that it's not a real Chanel. I like that because then it's sort of like the foundation of her confidence is already. It's like she's placing all her bets on this suit that she thinks is high quality, but all along it never is. And I kind of like that that it's you know, it's given her this superpower to fit into this, you know, upper cross league. But actually it's not even about the suit at the end of the day. It's about the power that she abus onto it, even though she thinks is all the suit, which I think is more sad in a way because it's like she doesn't need the suit, you know, narratively.
Speaker 4: But I meant it could be a real Chanelle.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I guess it's marked down from twenty eight hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that could just be part of the stick. Maybe they put a tag on it cross out of twenty eight hundred to make it feel like a real Chanel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what do you think.
Speaker 6: Well, I've always just thought it was a real Chanelle and she just you know, got a bit. The more I think about it, I'm like, it actually works better like you're saying, if it's not a real chaneal, because it just plays into the idea of all these people started accepting her basic a fake piece of merchandise.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's more bittersweet, but it's I don't know, I always like the sadder option or the.
Speaker 3: More in every aspect of life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm drawn to it. I don't know what.
Speaker 6: But Marge checks herself out in the mirror. Fits like a dream. As you're saying earlier, though, if it was a suit we could all wear, then maybe I'd buy it. And it's just it's classic Marge, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And even the fact that Lisa is like, come on, mom, like you never get to yeah, to do something.
Speaker 6: My wife is very much like this. She will never spend money on herself. I'll go I'll go up and say, look, I'll take the kids over here. You go buy yourself some shirts or just go shopping for a couple of hours. She's like, nah, we don't need it. I'm like, I know you don't need new shirts, but sometimes you just have to treat yourself. You know, you're just the idea of going there and not worrying about the money, just buying something you want as opposed to need.
Speaker 3: I love it, I know about.
Speaker 2: You, but there's nothing good in the shops. I think it's such a thing like women style. It's so particular, Like if you drop me off at like a mole, I don't know if I would want to buy anything there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think if you said to.
Speaker 2: Your partner, hey, jump on asos and browse to your heart's content that would be like, that would be a good present, rather than being like, go to the.
Speaker 3: Mall because why is it? Is it? Because it is?
Speaker 6: It more like a personal thing because you just it's just you shopping. You don't like to shop with other people. Why do you think that is a better option.
Speaker 2: Well, I think even though everyone's on the internet looking at the same stuff, basically I feel like it feels more bespoke to you because there are more choices, and then therefore there's more ways that you can like curate clothes that feel uniquely you, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: When you're in General Pants.
Speaker 2: There's like five jackets and you're like, well, I guess like and then you'll see someone out and then you'll they'll be wearing the same jacket as you, and you're like, oh, I'm not special in my special jacket. Like I bought this jacket from General Pants and it is great and I wear it all the time, but I just see guys. It's a man's jacket, and I just see like random like tech bros wearing it and I'm like, oh do I look like that?
Speaker 4: But then I get cold and then I have to wear it because.
Speaker 2: I'll freeze to death and so you know, and it looks it's kind of chic, but it's like there is this sort of thing where it doesn't it doesn't feel as specific to you. We don't feel as special wearing this thing that you chose uniquely because you thought that it displayed your personality. Like Guy Montgomery has a really good here's a good bit about clothes, which is like, when you buy clothes, you're choosing the person that you want to be. And I think nobody wants to be like anyone else like or Yeah. I don't think there's something about like, you know, coming to school on a muffy day and someone's wearing the same shirt as you, and you're like, what the fuck? Like don't you know.
Speaker 6: My daughter goes to a party. She's like, my daughter's like I'm Alsa, not you.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. They're like this bitch also okame as Elsa, you know, like how dash Sheep covers this thing that every this movie that every single kid has what.
Speaker 4: Yeah and identified with.
Speaker 2: But I think I think there is something that like it takes away from your uniqueness in regards to your identity, and it also it's it's it's almost like I chose the most boring hack thing. You know, it's it's a bit of self hate there as well.
Speaker 6: It's actually a valid point because now that I think about it, I'm very much someone likes to be an individual with what I wear and whatnot, like just like branded, not a brand, a bit like pop culture shirts and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was gonna say, you strike me as like one of those guys that's always were like you're wearing like a Nacotomy Plaza shirt or like a frickin like one of those things that is like a dog whistle for the specific pop.
Speaker 4: Culture you're displaying.
Speaker 2: But it's not like it's not like the Jurassic Park logo, but it is like a reference to like vandalate industries or whatever. Like you know. That's I think, Like, Yeah, you guys definitely strike me as those sis people, and I'm that person too, Like I feel like I also do that because I think it's a great way to meet friends.
Speaker 3: It just wears a face. That's all you wear.
Speaker 2: Oh really, that's.
Speaker 3: So chic, Yes, but I do just like all the other girls, I've got my secret pop culture T shirt underneath. You know, that's that's not for everybody. That's the dand same for everybody, only the sexy people.
Speaker 4: What's your shirt? This one with the green in the movie.
Speaker 3: This is him or me?
Speaker 2: You me?
Speaker 6: This is a return of the Jedi Boba Fetts. It's got return the Jedi poster on the back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not going to ask what I'm wearing wearing the boring that. But you said green, I was like green.
Speaker 4: Oh, in my they both look black to me. Those colors.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, no, I guess now.
Speaker 2: That you say it, it's sort of like a bottle green.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: My eyes are good as you're saying though that that I do find that maybe I look online because there's the idea of well, I'm shopping at an obscure website. No one else I know I'm going to see in your life will have that shirt on, because I do hate that feeling of getting a shirt, especially when I bought it online and I've gone, oh, motherfucker, you went to the same website as me.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 2: It's like when you go to a concert and you buy like that concerts.
Speaker 4: Shirt like I went to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went to a music festival to see Lana del Ray, which is already, Like I'm.
Speaker 4: Like the other girls going to a music festival to see Lana del Ray.
Speaker 2: But there was a specific Premavira Sound Lana del Ray t shirt that was like twenty eighth of May, and I wear it with such pride because I'm like, you have to have gone to this specific Spanish music festival to fully appreciate the gravitas of this t shirt. But if someone brings it up, I'm like, that's my friend, Like it's like this secret language.
Speaker 6: I remember when this takes me back, but when Kings of Leon became really popular with sex Fire right, and I like Kings of Leon one before they sex on Firearm came out. Like I remember going to a Pearl Jam concert just to watch them open in like two thousand and five or something. I remember I had a two shirt of Kings of Leon from like two thousand and four, two thousand and five or whatever, long before they hit it big, and I used to wear that one at the concerts, going that's right, I was a fan before you were. I used to get annoyed that people like, I'm like, this was my band. Now everyone likes them.
Speaker 3: This isn't fair. You've ruined the band for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and now no one likes Kings.
Speaker 6: I don't think they even like themselves anymore. I haven't listened to things of me on song and forever. But yeah, at least they were honestly. They came out and they said, look, we're tired of making no money, so we decided to write songs that made money. And I was like, at least you can openly admit that.
Speaker 3: More power too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they chose to go to the country club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're happy. I'm sure they're happy. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but Marge's happy as well with this new dress she walks in. She puts the record on, which is very sophisticated and home.
Speaker 2: It's like, wait, there is one more line that I want to shout out, which is she She's like, she's really up in arms about this dress, and she's and Lisa's like, just do it for yourself, and she's like, and then she goes, it'll stimulate the economy.
Speaker 3: For the economy. Yeah, she has to.
Speaker 6: Justify it to herself. She can't just buy something. There's got to be a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not just selfish, it's for the economy. Like it's just I was just like that's perfect.
Speaker 3: You look great?
Speaker 2: Really, you like it?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'd love to wear There's someplace.
Speaker 2: Special Spirit lux Carefeteria.
Speaker 3: It is m What about this symphony or the theater? Oh God, what's the point of going out? We're just gonna wind up back here anyway.
Speaker 6: What's the point going in? It's gonna winder back here anyway. And I finally we're married now for like thirteen years, got two kids, and it's just like that's just my life.
Speaker 3: Man. Eh.
Speaker 6: Where's your go to when you're going out for dinner?
Speaker 3: Look? What are you? An? Indian cuisine? Chinese cuisine?
Speaker 4: My favorite place to go for dinner. I'm not vegan, but my favorite place to go.
Speaker 2: For dinner is a vegan place called Golden Lotus in Newtown. And they do this luxA that is like just so fantastic and they it's full of like fake meat and it's all in like these different like crunchy shapes and sizes. And for some reason, that's like my favorite meal ever to go out to get.
Speaker 3: Where can we find them? Let's let's make you a spokesperson, dude.
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 4: It's in Sydney, in Newtown.
Speaker 2: It's like in the heart of like Hipsterville and again it's vegan like.
Speaker 3: But it's it's all the boxes.
Speaker 2: Oh good, Yeah, I don't even I'm not a vegan. I love meat, but Golden Lotus is just like if you need like a good meal that's full of vegetables and mystery fake meat.
Speaker 4: But it's like a luxA.
Speaker 2: So it's like the like with the herbs and the spices, and the flavor of the soup is like on another level. But that's that's my go to sort of place.
Speaker 3: Sounds like full finger Discound's got a new sponsor.
Speaker 6: Plus luxA is just a fun word to say. It just sounds fun. I'm gonna have a luxe.
Speaker 4: It's good.
Speaker 2: I just I find curry is too heavy and like soup, like a clear soup is like too flavorless. But a luxA it's.
Speaker 4: Like it's just right.
Speaker 2: You know, it's called Goldilocks, the Goldilocks equation.
Speaker 6: But then we get, as you're mentioned earlier, that the cutaway scene where you think they're at the opera, but no, she's watching on the TV wearing her So basically there's so much to this scene. Firstly, you think that maybe Homer actually did give in to March and she.
Speaker 3: Got her wish.
Speaker 6: But no, she's still stuck at home, but wearing this amazing suit doing her usual chore of doing the vacuuming at the end of the day the TV shit as well, so like nothing's gone right. But she's at the Quickie mark though, and a Pooh notices that.
Speaker 4: She's looking prosperous today.
Speaker 6: Yes, indeed, but I noticed he the quickiemt has a self we call a self servi servo here in Australia. The self service gas station never appears in an episode of the Quickie Mart of The Simpsons before. It's just randomly here for this episode. Really, yeah, but just for the sake of the story, there's a a petrol pump out the front's never usually there.
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I didn't thought about that.
Speaker 6: And in case you missed it from the exterior shot when Marge approaches a Pooh, it's front and center in between them in the background and when it's just says self service, Like, just in case you're not aware, quickiemite has one of these now for the sake of what's about to happen in the episode.
Speaker 2: Man, I bought it.
Speaker 4: I didn't even clock that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but he suggests some impulse novelty item for the crazy motor rise wiggle pen and whatnot. Boy, those things are legitimate. I mean you go to the k mats and whatnot now and you get to the registers and there's just things for kids to grab in every direction. It's so frustrating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I love that story wise, like that's a response to her perceived wealth. And that's so funny that he's like, you're looking rich, can I interest you in like.
Speaker 3: A crazy pen? Craziness?
Speaker 2: Craziness And that's like sort of the first twinge like that. It's like it's so I just find the symptoms is incredible from a story perspective because they have such stringent A, B and C structures and large is obviously the A story. And so like she gets the suit, like Lisa says, she looks good, Homer says, she looks good, Poho says she looks rich. Like there's all these like micro moments where her self esteem in her awareness that she looks rich is growing. And I think that like just a response where he's like, get this crazy pen is like amazing to me.
Speaker 6: That's why that's why they pay you the big bucks as a writer, you know, well.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's my job.
Speaker 2: I love doing podcasts where you have to watch something because it's because you do have to notice.
Speaker 6: The like I'm the and you may never have noticed them if you were just watching it casually.
Speaker 2: No, And it's also this thing of like you if, like if Marge brought the suit and then ran into Evelyn, it's not believable. It's not earned.
Speaker 4: That's what we call it.
Speaker 2: Were like you haven't earned that moment because you know, the slow slide into her richness and her vibe is not believable. But because like Lisa said, she looks good, like Homer says she look good, and who says she looks rich, that's when we believe that Evelyn would believe that she looks rich.
Speaker 6: These seed plants, Yeah, a crash course in writing right there. I don't even realize that.
Speaker 4: I hope this is helpful and not too deeply nerdy.
Speaker 3: No, it's great. Yeah, I love this kind of stuff. That's why we do this.
Speaker 6: But yes, this is where Evelyn does arrive, and I was love. They quickly just established that this character isn't from the same social scene. Because first of all, she wants someone else to pump her gas, and she's like, well, I can't do it myself, and off the culture blake like this, shed Kin'd even do the basics like that, So clearly she's from a different social scene. And Marge says that she used to be overwhelmed by it as well, but she can show me how to do it, and Evelyn notices her, and I think I heard you married Homer Simpson and we discussed all that, and I just feel it's pretty sad here that Marge. Do you think Marge knew it was Evelyn from the get go, but it was too embarrassed to think that, well, maybe she doesn't recognize me, so I'm not gonna introduce myself.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely absolutely. And I think we've all had that with people that like are cooler than us in high school. Like I went to a pilates class the other day for the first time ever. Please I'm not like a girl that goes to pilates, but I want to be. But the teacher was this girl at my school who was like a model and I think still is a model, and she was terrifying to me, and I didn't want to say like, she was like, who hasn't done piltis before?
Speaker 4: And I had to put my hand up and be like hi, like I've never done palatis before.
Speaker 2: And then she looked at me and she goes Ah high school and I was like, oh no. But then it was fine, but it was this thing of like somebody that I have thought was cooler than me, my whole life is now seeing me and I'm in this position of you know, it's like, what's our new dynamic. I also wanted to flag a poo pretends not to be able to speak English because and that's such a like indictment on Evelyn's character. It's like Evelyn's character is so awful to service workers and people of color that a Pooh pretends to not speak English to get her out of there. I think that's such a telling moment as well.
Speaker 6: This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Seinfeld, the one about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger discount.
Speaker 1: Ninety percent of the time if the gas isn't pumping, This is your.
Speaker 3: Pram automotive skills and fashion sense.
Speaker 2: Well, you come a long way from the girl I knew nothing about in high school.
Speaker 1: We ran with different crouch. You had your debutante bags and skinny dipping and I had my home shoe repair of corseh.
Speaker 2: It does feel true. I do think that's sort of like a I don't know, it does feel like the cool kids are more sexually active earlier, like and I think that's a reference to that without saying that, Like skinny dipping is like and.
Speaker 6: Even Marge's kind of like hesitant to say skinny dipping. She was like too racy, you know, yes.
Speaker 3: Puper class tobauchery. Yeah, they operate by different rules.
Speaker 4: Just another way.
Speaker 2: Marge is completely secular, sexless.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but she invites the Simpsons to the country club and Marge can't believe it. But then is when mister Burns arrives in a Ford quadricycle, he says, filled up petroleum distillate and revulcanize my tires post taste. We do love it when mister Burns is just old right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: But the Ford Quadricycle, fun fact, was the first vehicle ever developed by Henry Ford. It was the first Ford car. That's the joke that I was so old that he has the very first Ford car. It was a simple frame with a gas powered engine mounted onto four bicycles wheels. The first one was sold for two hundred dollars in eighteen ninety sixty equivalent of Australian dollars eleven thousand, seven hundred and thirty seven. Now it seems pretty cheap for a car.
Speaker 3: The prototypical e bike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah, I heard there's like lots of you know, model ty forwards in the rivers around around America, just upside down in the river.
Speaker 6: The mister Burns is old gags, Not that I didn't find them funny as a kid, I just didn't get them. That is, it was just funny sounds like he funny words and whatnot. Like here, you know, the horn, the sound and the gear that he's wearing. That's what was funny to me as a kid. But as you get old, you're like, oh it's an it's the original Ford car.
Speaker 4: See that's the just that joke went over my head.
Speaker 2: I was like, only just think the joke is that he thinks she's a service worker like that sort of. It's like the blow at the end of Seed, which is like yeah, And now that you're explaining it, I'm like, oh, yeah, he is old.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's the joke. You never really know truly how old he is. It fluctuates how old he is. But Marge is now making sure the family all looked a part for the country club, getting Bart to come. He's hair, Homer can't wear a short sleeve shirt with a tire. Best sip wits were discussing earlier Classic and Lisa says she doesn't want to go because, as you said, you were touching on the hotbed of exclusion of snobs and status seeking social climbers, and I don't like using the word hotbed. But then Marge's begs them just to behave please, because you know, we really get to do something like this, and it's like for the first time, she's finally feeling accepted and she just she just wants to feel important for once, and this family, dare we say the family's almost like embarrassing for her at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's telling them not to be themselves.
Speaker 3: I'd say, yeah, she's like, but.
Speaker 2: Don't be a grifter. Like also, I never noticed I think when I was a kid, I like always identified with Lisa, but I never noticed how like ethical and like her kind of personality is that she's like morally she's like a real yeah stand up goal for like societal left wing issues, And it was so obvious in this episode. I was like, Damn, she really is, like, you know, towing that line the power yeah liberalism.
Speaker 3: It's like you said, though, Nina, I mean the fact that she's actually going to the to the country club with Homer to face this woman who said, oh, I thought you married home. I heard an awful rumor that you married it down. It's like, here's the proof. I mean, you can say it, but yeah, actually showing that you're coming in on the arm of someone who you know it's gonna sort of regard your husband as like a bit of a do fist.
Speaker 6: It's like, I do think it's important that they didn't have the family embarrass her at the country club, but they weren't going there and doing embarrashing shit. You know what I mean, Yeah, I haven't went there, and he became a good golfer. We didn't get much bart in this That's one thing I wanted to touch on as well. I feel like if this was an earlier episode, it would have been more bart heavy, even though it was a March story. Like, we barely get any bart, especially at the country club. The only gag I think we get is when Lisa's complaining about when Brockman's daughter throws a sandwich on the ground and she's been a little bitch. And when he's talking about the guy in the bathroom who keeps giving him tous until he pays him stop. Yes, that's really the only bart we've got in this.
Speaker 2: And even Homer gets the joke in that because it's like, yeah, but it's like they kept giving me towns until I paid him to stop. And then it cuts to Homer with like a full rack of like fool stack of towels in his hands, and he's like, you just had to keep God, you gave up too early or.
Speaker 3: Something A long long boy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so good.
Speaker 6: But they arrive at the Springfield Glenn Country Club, home of the Tippling gat about you know so I looked at what the meaning of a gadabout is. Apparently it's just someone a pleasure seeking or something like a socialite sociale yeah, okay, so the drunken social lighte okay. But Margin says to the guy at the gate, we're not poor, and the family look at her like, why did you say?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yes?
Speaker 6: But clearly we're seeing here, Marge. Her priory is already shifting. She's trying to be somebody that she's not. But is she trying to be somebody she wants to be though, or just trying she just trying to fit in for the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if it's fit in so much as yeah, she has an idealized version of stuff like so many of us do.
Speaker 2: But she's trying to escalate the family, Like I think that's something even in when she's at the op shop in another shop, sorry, the discount store in Ogdenville and she you see, you know, Cletus and his kind of hick and it's sort of like this is who she doesn't want to be, and so she is trying to climb the ranks, like to live a better life.
Speaker 6: I think, and I think if we were all in this situation, we will probably kind of react the same way with the idea of just being involved in the country club is like, oh, this makes me feel special, makes me feel important. It probably would be the same, dude.
Speaker 2: Like the Quantus Lounge is a perfect example, like the moment I've reached god set, because like fly a lot for work, and there was one day I always heard there was a secret comedians group because comedians fly a lot for work, and comedians fly so much that they can get into like gold status and then get into the Quantus Lounge whenever they want. And there's a secret Comedian Quantus Lounge Facebook group for yeah, And that was like my actually, yeah exactly, And I was like, that's my country club, Like that's my personal country club. Like when I was a young comedian, was like I just want to fly so much and to us so much that I get into the Quantus Lounge.
Speaker 3: Can you recall when you finally felt like you belonged in the Australian comedy circuit in the scene, like when you made it. That's that's a cliche, like you made it, but like can you remember the first timehere you felt like I can consider myself a genuine comedian. Now I've made it. I've gone pro Oh man.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have ever felt like i've fully in regards to stand up specifically, I don't feel like i've ever fully.
Speaker 4: Like made it, made it.
Speaker 2: But I think maybe doing just for laughs. I think two years ago I did just for laughs and then that's when like the whole thing went bankrupt, and so I don't think it ever came out, which I.
Speaker 4: Was sad about.
Speaker 2: But I did. I did really well. And it was like this where I was like, oh, like, I feel like it's like, I feel like I'm good at this.
Speaker 6: I was about to say, what happened to just for laughs and bankrupt? Apparently I had no idea, But it's back.
Speaker 4: It's back.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, good, but I don't know where the deleted or your footage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like I nailed every joke. I was so bad because I get so stressed before these things, and I I was like in my head about it, and then I went out and I like, I like took down a heckler. Like that's the other cool thing. You know when they like you catch a heckler and you're like fuck you, and then you're like, eat shit, you don't say that you'd be funny about it, but it's.
Speaker 3: Just like, shit, what a burden?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, they're like you're not funny, and I'm like, fuck off, you're not funny.
Speaker 4: But I don't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think like I think I had someone like yell something at me, and then I like took them down and I was like, so glad this is caught on tape. There's twenty different live cameras. And then they went bankrupt like later that year, and then no, I never saw the footage.
Speaker 3: And I'm just like, I must have had the footage. They filmed it.
Speaker 2: I don't know where it is. They did several nights. Mel Bracewell hosted the whole thing, who I love and she was like, I'm like, what the hell? And then this year they started just last again, and because I haven't been doing stand up, I like, I don't know, it didn't apply for it, didn't get to do it.
Speaker 6: But I was like, you have done the same stick and got someone to do the heckl bit that you do the same thing, be so good.
Speaker 2: Just get a plant. But I'm not that forward thinking enough, and I reckon if I did plant a hecla I would fuck it up.
Speaker 6: Can you tell when someone's planted a heckler? Because there are comedians at that where you watching these going all your things are just heckless, and it's like you've just planted these guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if you went to Ghulia a clown school, you if you're a Ghuli a clown, the heckler is one hundred percent fake. That's sort of the rules. Do you know, Ghoulie.
Speaker 3: They're like, don't know what you're talking about it? Can you explain what that means to us? Don't?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's so at the comedy Festival, there's sort of like two kinds of shows. There's like stand up comedy shows where it's like a person and a microphone, and then there's people that do physical comedy where they'll pretend to speak a gibberish language for like an hour and like crawl into the crowd and pick on people and do all this stuff that's.
Speaker 4: Kind of nonverbal.
Speaker 3: That sounds night merrish.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is, and sometimes it's really funny, Like when it's done well, it's incredible, and when it done bad, it's so painfully cringe and you're just like, what is happening, and you're like, they're not in control of the room. But sometimes those people blend that sort of physical, curious clown nature with stand up comedy. And usually when those people have a heckler, that's a like a plant.
Speaker 4: That's that's how I tell it anyway.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, because when I go to a comedy show, I'm going I'm not paying to be a part of the show. I hate when comedians point out, hey, you what do you do for a living? I'm like, I don't want to be involved with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want.
Speaker 6: To sit in the dark and just watch you. Can you please just tell me jokes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for the monologue, not a dialogue.
Speaker 6: But this is where they arrive at the country club, the nearly run over. Krusty yadayada YadA.
Speaker 2: That's good. So Krusty is what they call a runner. Yeah, you know how like every time you cut back to Krusty, he's getting hurt. That's like a running a running joke essentially, and that's like the Sea story, I think is what you would call that. And that's when you just keep cutting back to like somebody getting hurt. Basically, No, it doesn't always have to be someone getting hurt, but it usually is someone getting hurt.
Speaker 6: The first time I ever noticed that kind of thing was on The Simpsons and I think it was Treos of Horror five, where will he keeps getting the axe in the back? Yeah, every sex, every sement. You're like, that's that's like that. It's like a little mini story in itself. But yeah, so it's called the runner.
Speaker 2: Is that the term, Yeah, that's the runner or as the c story. So like in sitcom writing, there's three stories at play. Usually there's an A story, so in this case that's Marge. There's a B story in this case that's Homer and the golf, and then there's like the sea.
Speaker 4: Story, which is Krusty.
Speaker 2: And usually the sea story, like I think from memory, Krusty's is like, you know, he like gets hit in the head or he gets driven into by a car, gets hit in the head with like a ball, and then there's probably like a moment where you think he's not going to get hurt, and then he does. And that's what.
Speaker 6: Homer throws his club in the last one, he just steps on Crusty's head. Yeah, yeah, like and they make and they have the button of the end, I knew my people won't work them here. Yeah, but yeah, so Evelyn greets them at the door, and you are that lovely. Suits are just acknowledging it's all about the suit, what you're wearing. And she introduces all these women who have normal names but pronounced differently, so Cavin, Gillianne, Elizabeth, Patricia, r Roebatar, Susin, and it's so perfect, little just gags like that. Love it's just acknowledging that these people, even though their names are probably just Susan, but she's Susin.
Speaker 2: M It also reminds me a little bit of you that Kean Kean Peel's get that's like a a ron like nice like it is sort of like like that's going into like like aav like African American vernacular. But this is sort of like the upper class like white you know, like version of that, which is like Susan.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Karen, Gillian, Elizabeth, Patricia Roberta, Susin meet Marge.
Speaker 3: Used to meet you.
Speaker 1: You look like such a happy bunch of people.
Speaker 2: That's the trouble with first impressions.
Speaker 1: You only get to make one.
Speaker 6: Susin is such a cow. I know she probably means nothing by it. It's just who she is. But I could not be around somebody constantly take me down. It would just it would destroy me.
Speaker 2: I do feel like that's the trouble with first impressions. You only get to make one. Is it feels like a Nora Efron quote. Like, it feels like a quote from like a Woody Allen film. Don't you think like it's just it feels like someone from New York would say that, you know, while drinking wine in like a four bedroom penthouse.
Speaker 3: Funny you should mention that, Nina.
Speaker 2: Oh. Yes.
Speaker 3: Apparently the writers drew inspiration from a New York writer named Dorothy Parker, a very very famous, well known in the earlier twentieth century, a member of the Algonquin round Table, a sort of a which has been name checked on The Simpsons in the past and other shows. She is. She's really well known for just coming up with like these great witty one liners that have sort of entered into just the common language. I mean, there's a as a writer. She came up with the most famous one, which is like I hate writing, I love having written. That's which is everybody.
Speaker 2: That's so funny that reminds me of is it Rita Runner, which is like, oh it's not reader run, Now it's someone else, which is I loved deadlines. I love the sound they make as they whiz by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, Susan is yeah, based on Dorothy Parker.
Speaker 2: In that regard, Ah, that makes so much sense because I was like, what a great quote. I mean, I was like the impact of that quote is hurtful and much But as a writer, I was like, impeccable quote.
Speaker 3: Have even made a bad first impression?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like all the time, Like like on this podcast, I'm already regretting like the first half an hour because I was like, I've talked too much about myself. I didn't talk about the Simpsons. I didn't ask anyone what they deal was.
Speaker 6: That's a bide of this. Now we get people lines, we just we find out about them. The Simpsons is there as a skeleton because everyone loves the Simpsons. But you know, we just were here to talk to you, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, Well anyway I am already regretting it. Like what I can tell you now is like I'm already like fucked it. But anyway, I'm baking up for lost time. Hopefully now this way.
Speaker 6: Margin Her response to that was that reminds me of an apron and I saw and everyone's got the knowledge that go, I was just going to cut you off here, Marge, because that's not the party be going down just yet, you know.
Speaker 4: But also that.
Speaker 2: Like the fact that she hears an iconic quote and she attributes it to like it, so like you know, that's true, Like that's where all those quotes live now.
Speaker 6: But at the end of the day, I feel like Evan she seemed to have Marge's best interests at heart, and we find out the end that she actually was going to welcome into the country. I think that's the best way to end this. It was that all these people who we see is horrible and smart asses and snobbish, they were actually going to be nice to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were ready, they were ready.
Speaker 6: It's almost like we were judging them by just purely because you know, because they're rich, and it's like, well, maybe they were nice people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe they really wanted to Maybe.
Speaker 3: We're the bad Maybe we're the bad person.
Speaker 2: I love that though, Like it is it's sort of like they're not the cliches you expected them to be, and that's such a message in itself, like you can't just pinpoint people based on who they are, immediactly, that's the problem with first impressions.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly. She says that the family can go and enjoy the country, cop, and this is where as you were saying early in a Homer says that, you know, let's go sit in the car until your mother's done fitting in.
Speaker 2: So I love that line. It's such a good like I think it's like using sub subtext as a punch, Like blunt subtext as a punchline is one of my favorite genres of Simpson jokes.
Speaker 6: It's almost like a bit passive aggressive as well, Like if you said that to someone in real life, you're like, now I feel guilty for wanting to fit in.
Speaker 2: But he delives it with such earnestness, like he's like he's so Covini about it.
Speaker 4: You're like, he doesn't realize. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I love that line.
Speaker 3: I can't be fucked being here. Let's just go wait in the car, put the radio on and go to sleep. Yeah, And the fact that.
Speaker 2: That whole family is like, we don't belong here, like straight up, they're just like, you know, They're like, they don't have to stand in the enclave, and like their family is like, we do want to stand in the enclave because this place sucks.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, but the group that women, they're all now discussing, you know, why share yourself horse at incompetent sales clerks when you can nearly order everything online fire may.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately I agree, But it is the year twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: I don't think when I'm in ninety six, I was doing that.
Speaker 6: It's funny how ninety six what seems snob and ladi dah is now just the norm. I would I go to I go to a shop and I see something that I want and my first thing is to pull out my phone and see if I can find it cheaper on eBay or something. I never think to go, I'm gonna pay retail for this. There's got to be somewhere online that's got this cheaper than this place right now?
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, especially if it's off brand legos.
Speaker 6: Ali Express, thank you very much. Yes, And this is where everyone says she eat anything else that shipped every night from Vermont or Washington States, and we order our stacks from the New Yorker.
Speaker 2: I thought that was very funny.
Speaker 6: I don't get this gag, but I'm sure you guys do. So, Susan says, al she thinks All Being and Eddie Bauer are selling her the same honey. Now they're both clothing stores, right.
Speaker 3: Pretty much sort of outdoorsy gear. So honey, Like that GAG's way over my head. It's pretty much a ll. Bean and Eddie Bauer are kind of interchangeable. The label is really the only thing that's that's a difference between the two of them. Okay, so the honey is just just me for clothes.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like it's almost like when she's like, I order my stakes from the New Yorker, It's like I do this thing that's like not possible to do because I'm so rich.
Speaker 4: I think that's sort of the gag, which is like, you know, like the.
Speaker 2: New Yorker is this like upper crust and again like yeah, that's another Yeah, it is to me. It is sort of like, you know, the like a bougie, fucking liberal newspaper is sort of the vibe of the New Yorker, Right, they have the little cartoons and like, yeah, the writing with the seraph like it is having a New Yorker subscription is like a flex, I think, and so to be able to order stakes. And I don't know that's my interpretation, but maybe someone who lives in New York could tell me different.
Speaker 3: Nah. I think that's very much the casion. I think the markup on a steak that you would buy from The New Yorker is going to be like something like five hundred percent. You know, but you're doing it, yeah, as you said, purely for the flex. Yeah, it's not going to taste any different to the one you get from alb. I mean, if we could flex, you'd all do it too, right.
Speaker 4: Fuck you or stakes of the New Yorker.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if we could all flex, something like we could just buy something that's expensive just because it's expensive, and we could afford that, we would totally do it right.
Speaker 3: Some things, yes, somethings.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. I think I just have like scarcity mindset where I'm just like it could all I'm not rich by any means, but I'm like everything could all disappear in a heartbeat. Like I'm just like, yeah, it's a weird.
Speaker 4: It's like the war or something.
Speaker 3: You know, Nina, you're a freelance creative in the year twenty twenty five. I mean, I think anxiety is kind of the fucking default mode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 6: This show is brought to you by the four figured Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould, the One about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. This is one of my favorite moments in the so purely because of how confident Marge is when she says this. So she says she orders through the mail, but in a different way each month, good housekeeping, a rise, bursting with recipes, and sometimes the most satisfying meal is the one you cook herself. And she's so confident and happy when she says this, and it's one hundred percent true. Like cooking your own food, I just find so much more. I get so much more out of it than going to a restaurant paying some fifty dollars to cook something I could have made for fifteen.
Speaker 2: No, I have the same thing, Like I don't have Uber Eat, I don't have any delivery apps on my phone because I'm like and also there's something when you like cook food yourself, You're like, it's free, even though it's not free like dollars on groceries, you like, it's free.
Speaker 6: The thing is though it's usually leftovers as well, which is the good part.
Speaker 2: That's true. And you yeah, and then you know what's in it. There's something about knowing what's in it where you.
Speaker 3: Like, I honestly did this the other day though, I mean, this is how precariously are economically speaking. But you know, I was like, I've gone to Col's, Like, okay, so I've got the Southern Fried chicken burgers. Whatever. Okay, let's bread. There's three in the pack. That's that's roughly like three dollars a burger at the barn. Okay, I made this delightful Southern fried chicken burger, but something like five dollars fifty I would have paid three times out if I'd gotten the chicken rans down the road. Yeah, yeah, me.
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 2: But that's like it's so sad. I remember being in Bathurst like a UNI student with no money, and I remember we had frozen chicken like it was like three months old.
Speaker 4: And it was frozen.
Speaker 2: It was like the wrong color.
Speaker 4: But we didn't have any money for dinner and we all craving KFC.
Speaker 2: So we like we breaded, like we made breadcrumbs from our frozen bread. We breaded the chicken. I think we had one egg and we put like maybe water in it to kind of stretch the.
Speaker 3: Milk and makes senses all the time. Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: We just like schnitzled it and we like I think we like bought potatoes like we were just like we were just like we need to have KFC, but there's no way we can afford it.
Speaker 4: And it makes you creative.
Speaker 3: I think love is our great depression.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like being poor is fun.
Speaker 3: You had to game the system in a lot of ways, and sometimes you discover new recipes as well, Like I never that place, would never have put that ingredient with that one, but I fucking did and it tastes great, you know, yeah, exactly. So this morning I went.
Speaker 6: To a Father's Day breakfast at my daughter's kindergarten and they had egg muffins, and they had smoked salmon, and they had.
Speaker 3: Like shit and salty.
Speaker 4: It didn't make it your.
Speaker 6: Way, no, no, so they had it was all separate. So they just had egg muffins that were playing right, and they had salsa there and they had smoked salmon, and they had hash browns. And I chucked it all into this muffin and it was fucking delicious.
Speaker 3: And I would never.
Speaker 6: Ever think to combine all those three things.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you hacked the menu.
Speaker 3: Sorcer and smoked salmon, what the fuck? Yeah? And hash brown and an egg in an egg in a English muffin. It was delicious.
Speaker 2: I love that you hacked the menu at your daughter's father's breakfast.
Speaker 3: Like all these people just having eggs, plain eggs. I'm like, chuck it all in, guys, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I'm freaking crazy, dude. What if we put a hash brown on this ship?
Speaker 6: Over Back in school, we'd buy cheese and bacon, I was from the school canteen and put hash browns in them. It was fucking great.
Speaker 3: It was like that.
Speaker 6: It was like it was like the thing everyone did. We bought a hash brown and a cheese make con roll. We'd all sit there eating them. It was like we hacked the system over here. But but yes, so this is where March she's made a good uh good, and it don't about that the good housekeeping and whatnot. And this is where Patricia is like, you know what, I did that as well. It reminds me of that time that we we had to microwave our own soup and I just love that. You know, of course that it was a horrible mess, but I just didn't mind cleaning it up. Like we didn't want to wake up to cook the food, but we waken up to clean it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also the fact that like microwaving soup is the easiest thing to microwave, Like it's not like you just put it in and you take it out and it's and it's suit like it's like.
Speaker 3: It's so funny you have to do anything. You pour it in and you push go that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these people are so incompetent.
Speaker 1: I get through to the mail but in a different way. Everyone's got housekeeping arrives in my mailbox, brushing with recipes. Sometimes the most satisfying meal is the one you cook yourself.
Speaker 7: Hmmm, that's very true. Marche one night when I came home late and we decided not to wake Iris and instead we microwaved our own soup. Of course it was a horrible mess, but Iris didn't mind cleaning it up.
Speaker 6: Marge is so high on life though she's did a great job fitting in and now they have guest passes and perhaps don't invite them to enjoy home. Was like, well, it must have really done a number on those rich suckers, and she says, you know, don't think me thank this new suit.
Speaker 2: My favorite bit is when she's like, it's so opulent and classy, like the Clay the Playboy Mansion, but non sexual, And I was like, that is such an like the Playboy Mansion is like the tackiest place.
Speaker 3: On the thing. In twenty twenty five, the Playboy Mansion, I think it is. It still exists, but I think it's even more sad than it once was. I think once hefn went it was kind of like that was the end.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, it's like a venue now because there's like pools and like stuff and like monkeys and like a z Like it's more like a weird freak show.
Speaker 3: I think now I think the Playboy brand has been somewhat devalued.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's been reclaimed by feminists magic thing.
Speaker 4: But I do think it is bad.
Speaker 3: We warned you because the.
Speaker 2: Two thousands is back and Playboy was such a you know, important part, Like that picture, like the little Bunny logo, I think is back.
Speaker 3: What's you go to k up now?
Speaker 6: And there's like kids clothing with the Playboy logo, and I'm like, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: I remember when I was a kid there were girls at my dad's school with Playboy stuff and it was seen as like a really cool grown up thing.
Speaker 3: But yeah, in hern So, yes, not good.
Speaker 6: But we're at the club again and Kent Brockman's there with his daughter and she's yelling at Fritz an idiot he gave her. She didn't want blowny sandwich, she want an abaloney sandwich. She throws it on the ground and Lisa's goes on her little rant, but then she's distracted by the horses going around in the background. Caause Lisa that's one of her common threads, is that she loves ponies and loves horses.
Speaker 3: Can I just give a quick shout out to the visual gag of Ken Brockman's daughter looking exactly like Ken Brockman. I thought that really, just in case you weren't aware.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what do they call it now?
Speaker 2: Punnett square And that's what it's called when a kid looks like their parents, called Punnett square square.
Speaker 3: We're letting a lot of things here.
Speaker 2: I love that bit that like even Lisa Simpson, like the most ethical member of that family, is tempted by courses, Like she's just like a little girl at the end of the day.
Speaker 6: That's just like and this next scene here we get a great, great use of just animation in general. So it's when Marge's playing cards and she's got the winning hand and she's going to have the inner monologue what do I do? Do I win or do I want to make friends? Because she thinks if she wins that they won't like her, and so so it's going higher and higher in her hair, just the visual gig, and then at the end it's don't ask me, I'm just hair. Yeah, you head finished eighteen inches ago or whatever like that. It's a great use of the animation. But she puts the cards out and she wins, and she I think someone says, we could have won too, seen if you had to change suits, and she riffs on Marge again, saying I thought changing suits was out of fashion a Marge, and poor Marges know what to do?
Speaker 3: Does she?
Speaker 2: No, she doesn't, And I think there's like they make fun of her a little bit, but then at some point she they are like, just like you ruined that beautiful Chanel's suit. It's you know that they want her to change a suit, but then they make fun of her for ruining.
Speaker 6: It, like she's can win exactly. But Homer's now playing golf. He hits his own foot and he starts cheating, but he's done it the wrong way because the traditional ways to lower your score. As Tom Kite golf professional points out, I've never seen Tom Kite play around golf in my life. I used to like watching golf when I was a kid. Not really so much anymore, but I thought Tom Kite, for the time he appeed on screen, was a pretty good guest star.
Speaker 3: It was really funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I just assume.
Speaker 2: I think, like when they show you those people, you just go, yeah, of course that's like a professional golfer, you know, like yeah.
Speaker 6: But he genuinely is Yeah, and I just love that you know you're a natural. What does he tell your tyl, don't ever think it? Keep your head down, pretend no one else is around here, and then got your own pace. And as he's before Eving finishes that sentence, Home has already swung the ball. He does a really good shot. You're a natural. Now you just need your own set of clubs and stay the hell out of my locker. I just love that you can keep the shoes well.
Speaker 2: Also the bit where he goes, pretend no one's here, and then Homer Simpson scratches his butt and does like a disgusting verb, and like that's the only bit that Homer listens to.
Speaker 3: Yes, also, don't ever think it not an issue.
Speaker 6: Homa's now reading in bed the New Our Caddies Ourselves, which is a pun I've got here on the women's health book Our Bodies Ourselves, which was first published in nineteen seventy one. I had no idea about that book, did you? I had no idea, Yeah, and had several additions since then, One addition to which Homer's copy of The New Our Caddies Ourselves bears a strong resemblance, appeared in the nineteen nineties and was titled The New Our Bodies, Ourselves and was subtitled a book by and four Women. This one was a book by and four golfers. But I just love it when Home is reading something he little reading glasses, but not even that, he's wearing his golfing hat. When Homers does like a little b plot, he's always got a little outfit for it, and he's read golf hat in his little glasses.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so he's.
Speaker 6: Wearing that in bed, and it's just just great to see more caught up in the fad. But Marche she's busy altering her suit at night, and Homer here, just stuff some bumper stickers and come to bed, will you. Marge, he's trying to be considered, but he's just like, just it's not that big of because to Homer, it's not that big of a deal, like who cares what these people think? But Marge can't see it that way. And she's up all night, and we get the transition of her just you know, just the lamp shining on her. It's middle of the night and she's busy trying to fix this dress for the country club people. And they were back at the club and Marge has now got a vest and some cool lots, and I had no idea what coolots were, forgive me, but really, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Should have watched the movie Barb and Star Go to Vista del Mar. I think it's probably like my favorite movie of all time. But there's a really good plot line about coults. Yeah, and it's very like joke heavy. It's sort of like Austin Power's energy. It's Krestin Wig and Annie Momolo as two fifty year old women called Barbon Star and it's like the silliest movie. But yeah, they have they wear coults and there's like this whole plot involving their couplots.
Speaker 3: Can you use a quick explanation of what coulots are and how maybe how they differ from capri pants? Are they completely different?
Speaker 2: I feel like capri pants are like tight. The capri pants are like sort of half length shorts that are tight to the leg and tight to the butt. Where's like coulots are sort of like they're tight around the waist, but then they sort of are gently they soften out as the.
Speaker 4: Leg goes longer.
Speaker 2: And honestly, if I'm being if I'm being real. I don't think Marge's wearing coulots in this episode. I think she's wearing shorts. Yeah, yeah, of course, because to me, coulots are very.
Speaker 4: Like below the knee.
Speaker 2: You know, they're sort of like midi what you call it, like midi length, because you know it with skirts, You've got mini, which is like above the knee, and then you've got maxi, which is like at the ankle.
Speaker 4: And then you've got midi, which is just below the knee.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I feel like your eyes just glazed over. But that's that's one for the ladies to agree with.
Speaker 3: I just love you. The vest says, let's have lunch. But the cool lot say, you're paint.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was something like I'm picking up the tab or something. I don't know, you're pain Yeah.
Speaker 6: But Lisa found something more fun than complaining, and that is riding the horses around. We don't see what Bart's doing. Is off doing something?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she does say that. She's like, hey, mom, I found something better than complaining, which I like. There's the classic like subtext as a joke, like it's so good.
Speaker 6: Evelyn says she'd love to sponsor the family for membership of all goes well, the boor and marshes you'll be there with bals On and this is the moment you're saying about Susy and she says, yeah, we're going to exactly attach them to that mangled Chanel suit and yeah, they're just taking her down and they all laugh at her. But Evelyn, yeah, I thought you'd love this. Everylyn tries to comfort March by saying her idea of wit is nothing more than an incisive observation, humorously phrased and delivered with impeccable timing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 2: Again, that's like subjects as the joke, like, and it's because you think she's gonna say something to be like, oh, don't listen to her. She's you know, her idea of wit is like nothing more than a child's jab or whatever. But then she's just like describes exactly what you know.
Speaker 3: Wit is great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and she and she says, I just know you'll have a lovely new outfit, which puts so much pressure on March with Marches like fuck, well I can't afford a new outfit. So you guys, they're basically just saying to her, you need to wear something else, but I want to go back. So, witt, what's your idea of wit? Like as a comedian who like you live and breathe comedy as a writer, is wittiness something that draws you to somebody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, like I don't know, I don't know what wittiness is because I think like when I hear the word like witty, I always find it quite.
Speaker 4: Smarmy.
Speaker 2: Like to me, like witt is something that like you have if you went to Sydney UNI and like a private school, Like it's like people that are they're equipping and they're often like very smug and like punching down. But I think dialogue, yes, I find that witty. It's it's it's it's like humor that's aware of itself, if that makes sense. And I find it like not grading. But you don't want to be too like too witty. I think, I don't know, But that's just my interpretation of wit. Like maybe I'm yeah, sorry. There's a there's a truck in on the street outside my house and it's I will I wish.
Speaker 4: I think it's like a garbage truck.
Speaker 3: Stream truck.
Speaker 2: It's the middle of winter, like you're not gonna.
Speaker 6: We had an ice cream truck drive past our house like three nights ago. It was raining outside and it was cold, and the kids are like.
Speaker 3: Ice cream, icecream? Who the fuck is buying their kids ice cream? Now, it's like seven o'clock at night on a Monday or something or whatever right now anyway, Yeah, ice cream trucks good fun, good times.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I honestly like seven pm on a Monday, great time have ice cream. It's like sort of maybe it would have just had dinner, you know what, Actually think nine pm is the best time to have an ice cream. It's like it's like when the dinner is digested and then you're like something sweet.
Speaker 6: What's your usual bedtime though.
Speaker 2: Dude, I don't have one of those. I don't know if you know this, but I'm thirty years I just go to bed whenever the fuck I want.
Speaker 4: I don't have a sleep schedule.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm a chaos dem I think it could be like eight pm, it could be like four am. I'm mom. Yeah, I'm untethered to the realm of time.
Speaker 6: Like, see, my wife goes to bed, we watch something on TV once the kids go to bed, then she goes to bed, and I'm like, now it's time to create and edit videos and edit podcasts. And sometimes I'll be up to two in the morning. Sometimes I'll be up till eleven o'clock, but I like to if I get to bed before midnight, I'm like early, that's for me. As long as I'm in bed by midnight, I feel like I've gone to bed in good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you feel like you got your shit together? Yeah, No, I feel the same, but I rarely. I think, like probably around two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay. Well.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, Homer, though he's showing off his golf golf skills at work, he's chipping the balls into the toilets, including the handicapped one with the seat down. Mister Burns sees this lavatory linksman on his monitors in his office. Smith Has calls him a fork and spoon operator from sex to seven g and he thinks he's found is impressed. He thinks he's found a worthy competitor to take him on in a rand of golf, because he never loses, does he guy?
Speaker 3: He never does? Oh hay, there was one.
Speaker 6: Except for all on time he lost to President Nixon.
Speaker 3: He let him win. Let Nixon win.
Speaker 2: That's one of my favorite jokes, where he's like, I wonder if this Homer Nixon is of any relationship. Unlikely, sir. They spell and pronounce their name differently.
Speaker 6: Organized the game, and I'll ask him myself anyway. But meanwhile, Marge's once again altering her suit. Homer isis excited. There's gonna be taking on mister Burns in a game of golf today and hopefully if he beats me, thinks he might be able to get that raise he's been wanting. And she begs him, just if you do, just do not celebrate like you normally do with your yahoos and whatnot, because they're judging us. It's very, very important that we make a good impression. Meanwhile, Lisa, she tries to chat with Marge about how she Oh, she's really tough, she's excited about the horses. Isn't she just asked me for these questions, saying and granted. By the end of it, she's being really annoying because where Marge turns and screams at her incredibly annoying.
Speaker 2: And I also think I think there's something that, like I reckon in the original draft that was Bart's function, possibly but I think there's something to be said for Marge and Lisa's relationship in this episode, which is Lisa's the one that's like, do something for yourself, mum blah blah, blah blah. And then at the end, Lisa is the person that says, I just thought you looked nice. And so I think in order to kind of track that relationship and make it earned, as they'd say, I feel like they gave this moment, which is a very bart moment, like being fucking annoying. Like Lisa is the one who's always like the moral center of this family and but just so excited, you know, yeah, but she's so excited, and so I think that there is something I found. I was like, this feels quite out of character to give Lisa this very hyper childish moment, But then.
Speaker 4: I was like, I think story wise.
Speaker 3: It's more poignant, if more powerful.
Speaker 4: Her daughter is the one, yeah, that's pissing her off.
Speaker 6: Also too, Lisa the one who's usually just never shutting up. She's speechless with Marge screams. She doesn't anything to say, but she's almost like she's scared.
Speaker 3: She just leaves. She's not used to seeing Marge speak this way before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely, she's.
Speaker 6: Becoming she's just becoming a different person.
Speaker 1: At times like this, I guess all you can do is laugh.
Speaker 6: They leave it just long enough where it doesn't outstate it's work, and it's just it's really funny.
Speaker 4: It's so it's so funny. It still is my favorite bit of the episode.
Speaker 6: She goes to Patty and Summer for a formal dress. She tries on fantasy in maroon, marone, whatever you want to call it, peppery for her, and then she gets the original the Halloween costume, which is found its way into the regular rotation, and even Marge's like, yeah, sure. Then Homer arrives for his game with mister Burns. Mister Burns has been all smug and just you know, talking smack. Homer hits his first shot into the bunker and Burns then checks the wind. Smithers opens the ball from a box. They're all monograms on them, all the balls. Yeah, it's just very very fancy. It looks like the first shot he hits Elie straight. It doesn't look like it's going for any directions, hitting straight, but it's often to the distance. As Smithers is looking through his pinoculars, and it says it right on the green as always, which is and then he runs off though, which is the first signs of you are going.
Speaker 3: Why does Smithers run off like that? There's something not quite right here.
Speaker 6: But then mister Burns tells Homer to get out of the bunker. You need to use a sand wedge, and Homer's got his open faced.
Speaker 3: Club sand wedge.
Speaker 2: That's so funny.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, Marge is on her way now to Oldenville again to buy a new news. You'll look for a new suit anyway, hopefully find another steel. And we cut back to Homer and he's now four strokes behind by the eighth hole, so he's not doing well. And it's a part five this eighth hole, and Burns teas off hits a way to the left, but of course Smith is looking through the binocular say's swaying right towards the green and it's there, which causes Home to absolutely rage, spin around, throw his golf club and it hits Krusty in head as he's getting a golfing lesson with Tom Kite avoid all distractions, bang knocks him out. I thought Krusty was an interesting option for to be the butt of this joke, being the runner for this one. I mean, it works, but it's just an interesting choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they sort of signposted that a little earlier. I was like, I know, these places are no good for people like me, which is you know, I mean, there's a long and proud in very heavy quotes their tradition of American country clubs not allowing people of the Jewish faith. That's at the end though. Yeah, well yeah they also yeah, I mean yeah, Marge definitely has a line about that we'll talk.
Speaker 2: About, and like sort of combining that with the fact that, like a lot of comedians are Jewish and so I think like and Krusty sort of represents I mean, like comedians are writing for the Simpsons and so like that, probably Krusty is like them being like, yeah, we don't feel at home in these country clubs either.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Another favorite quote I have.
Speaker 2: From this is Homer goes dough and then like he does don't and then Burne says, yes, you're in deep dough. Now.
Speaker 6: This show is brought to you by the four figure discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Seefeld, the One about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. At the outlet, Mall and Marge can't find anything on the but they've got a shipment of slightly burns sears active where coming that afternoon.
Speaker 3: She's like, no, that's not what I want. She leaves, but clear us what.
Speaker 6: Time and how burn Now he's lining up and he says, can't ever get to the green in less than two shots. He hits it and all of a sudden we hear whack, and it's Smithers in the distance. And he said, and this is where it all unravels. Smithers is passed out on the ground. All he's been bumped on the head, All these reptile eggs are everywhere. I mean, he's quick thinking on his feet. But you know, I just love the idea that Homer though this could these could possibly be endangered species like reptile eggs, But Homer still taste tests it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any egg is worth eating, Yes.
Speaker 2: But I love that he has to like they're obviously golf balls, like they're like an idiot good not that it's golf balls. And then Homer's like has to try eating one to discern the.
Speaker 3: He's like, golf balls, you've been cheating.
Speaker 6: Is where Burns finally realized, because I think it's actually a nice trait here that Burns didn't know he was cheating all this time, Like he was all all this smugness was because he genuinely thought he was good at golf. He wasn't being a liar. He thought he was just winning all this time. It's actually Smithers has been lying to everybody this entire.
Speaker 2: Time completely, And I think that's like that's also a class comment, right, Like that's about the people who like uphold the class system by being subservient to like make like I feel like there's some kind of comment there that's like, you know, Smithers is like this bottom feeder that's just like feeding off mister Burns and like inflating his ego so that.
Speaker 4: He can stay in the club scene. Because that's true.
Speaker 2: If Smithers didn't, you know, pay lip service to mister Burns and like act on his every whim then like he'd probably be kicked out to the curve until another yes man did. Like I I find it dynamics so interesting, like from a class perspective.
Speaker 6: I also liked the visual too of when Burns thought he was winning, he was very in Homer's face, and the second he realizes, oh my god, I've been cheating this entire time, he stands and hides behind Smith's.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's a pussy.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's great that the episode is titled Scenes from the Cross Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield. It's not just you know, like, sorry, he's the most obvious. Alternatively, Marge gets a new dress or something like that. Everybody's involved in the class struggle. You know there are multiple levels, lists and multiple facets of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but they blackmail Homer here to keep quiet about it all because he'll push for membership for the Simpsons family and was like, I don't care about that, but does your wife? And it's a good homoment because he's like, yeah, Marge does want this, I better not fuck it up for her. So then as he's walking up this is where he steps on Cross, his head, and I knew my kind wasn't one saying yeah. Marge's then driving to the actual Chanel store. She's looking in the window, but then we cut to Marge wearing that dress down, the dress that was in the window, wearing that dress down the steps, and Lisa can't believe, Oh my god, too great dresses.
Speaker 3: Marge live.
Speaker 6: She says, I got it from the outlet more and Lisa, she can't believe it. You got two great finds. Was what did it cost? It's almost like Marge she knows she's done the wrong thing. She doesn't, she just can't admit it. She's like she's so deep now in this new scene that she just has to pretend I didn't pay much for this dress as well. But this is where Lisa's like, just how much was it? And she I think, what is it? Why do you have to question everything I do? And then as you're saying earlier, she says, you just you look nice as all.
Speaker 3: Lisa's just but.
Speaker 2: Also just like she's so guilty that she can't enjoy a compliment from her droller like.
Speaker 6: She because Lisa is the one that pushed her to do this in the first place. Lisa wants her to be happy, you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but she's taken it too far.
Speaker 6: Yeah exactly. Yeah, it's just not doing well at all. But we skipped over the bit where they they said this is what they said they're going to do on the way in. So we'll get to that but in a minute. But they arrived there. Home's driving up to the main building and she's like, you can't do that. Well, someone might call me so without saying you're making a scene, which I think is just fantastic. But mar just refused because what she said, they'll see the coat hang around Tanner the dent in the side, like it's just not going to happen. She takes the keys out. But then the family is they're all walking and they explain their plans for the Not Home's going to say is anecdote. They got him bleeped out on the radio. He's going to leap him now, but it's going to pose it's an Italian count and get some old lady to leave him all his money. Just basically a Nigerian prince. That's what we call them these days, don't we In the emails. Yeah, and Lisa's going to ask if any of the workers, any of the people that know their servants last names, or in the case of Butler's there first, and marg just turns and she ran like, no enough, you know, no vulgarity, no mischief, no politics.
Speaker 3: Just be good.
Speaker 6: And I've found myself saying this quote sometimes to my kids, not even thinking it's a Simpsons quite. I'm just like, fuck me, just for one minute, just be good, please.
Speaker 3: Just stand still.
Speaker 6: It's the easiest I it's the easiest of tasks.
Speaker 3: Do nothing. Just stand there. Why are you waving your arms around? Why are you kicking things? Just stand still? Please, Well, you're of a mind that their behavior is going to reflect upon you and the way that you raise them, all the choices that you've made. Of course it does. Yeah, I mean the choices that you've made in your life in terms of like, this is my partner, this is the person that I've signed up to be with, and here they are, you know, having won too many and just fucking up the night for everybody.
Speaker 2: It's shame, right, Like that's the motivator there is that she's ashamed of her family, and like she's ashamed of herself for doing for buying a dress that her family can't thought and she's ashamed of her family.
Speaker 6: Like don't know how embarrassing is for me, Like I shouldn't feel this way. But you know when my wife, she's very successful what she does, right, she's just she's smart. She tells she's incredible, right, we you know, I love my wife, and I just do I do podcasts and I'll stay home with the kids, and I do podcasts for a living, and I just I feel like I'm not pulling my weight. And like so when we go to places and they're like, what do you do for a living? I'm this business woman, what do you do? I do a podcast in the Simpsons, I feel so shit. I'm almost embarrassed to say it.
Speaker 2: But like I mean, like, yeah, but that's like if that's the worst thing about your job, like then that's pretty.
Speaker 4: Cool, right, Like but everyone was going, you have so much fun.
Speaker 6: Everyone always goes, wow, that's so cool. But I'm always like embarrassed to admit it. But every time I admit it.
Speaker 3: They go, that's fucking awesome. I'm stuck at a desk all day. You get to do this shit, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's people are probably like wildly.
Speaker 6: Envious of it, But I can't help but just feel like I'm not carrying my weight in the relationship because I just sit at home talking about the Simpsons, incredible people like yourself. You know, I still pick the kids up fro school, like cook the dinners, I getting ready for bed. You know, I'll do all that stuff as well.
Speaker 2: But you do a fun job and she does a real job.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Would you call your job a real job or a fun job?
Speaker 2: Fun job?
Speaker 5: For sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent? Yeah, comedian, I mean right, right, is a real job?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I don't think any creative job is a real job.
Speaker 2: I think like real jobs are like, well you have to like go to work, and like people really pay for somebody you do it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Are you turning in words and getting paid for it? Yeah, but it's not a professional.
Speaker 2: If my job is like sit at my computer and eat em and m's and like laugh at my own jokes, I don't. I consider that a fun joke. And I'm a fun joke a fun job, and I feel very like it's never lost on me, like how blessed I am to do that for a living. But it is like an incredible privilege.
Speaker 3: It's tough I mean, I don't.
Speaker 2: Like finding a loophole like you guys have found a loophole by being a pop culture podcast. I'm successful at it. I think maybe that's what you should say. You should say I run a very successful Simpsons podcast, because I think if I met you at a pud party and your wife was like an awesome CEO boss babe, and you were like, I run a Simpsons podcast, I'd be like, oh, yeah, cool man. But if you're like, I run like a podcast network essentially for a pop culture conglomerate, I'd be like, oh, you know, that's actually that feels way more respectable.
Speaker 3: When people go on social media like oh shit, okay, you've actually got following.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I get the same where I'm like, oh, like I'm a writer.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I do acting and people are.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, one day you'll one day you'll make something good, and I'm like.
Speaker 6: Then you turned on the TV last night, you may have seen me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it'll be that thing.
Speaker 2: It's always that where they're like, oh, just keep just keep at it, and then someone will be like I loved you and Dar's master and I'm like, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: But you never you can't correct them, like, you know, they just realized when they follow you.
Speaker 3: And then tell me to shut the fuck out. Christ I'm fucking sick of this shit.
Speaker 4: No, but I like it, I think.
Speaker 2: And it's also it's telling like when people sort of take you at their own estimation, I'm never like, I don't feel inclined to correct them because it's fun for me. Then I get to be a character as well.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: Do do you feel like if someone doesn't recognize you, you can sort of drop your guard a bit and not have to be funny?
Speaker 3: Nina?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm never funny. I try. I try to be funny as little as possible.
Speaker 4: I'm like, no, I.
Speaker 2: Don't try to be fun But it's like it's whenever I have to tell someone that I do comedy, I'm like, I do comedy, but I'm not funny, like and then I think people just laugh at that because it's it's like a stupid thing to say. And then I can do whatever I want. But I just don't want people to.
Speaker 3: Expect You don't want people to expect jokes all the time.
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And also like jokes, I don't know like people what people think are jokes are like not jokes, like what people who tell me jokes, They've always tell me jokes, and.
Speaker 4: They're like, you can have this one.
Speaker 2: And it's like the most.
Speaker 9: Racist joke I've ever heard, And I'm like, dude, you can Your idea of what's funny is like not, I would never say any of that shit, so yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Or it's like really lame, like a dad joke, and I'm like, okay, cool.
Speaker 3: Like dad jokes are that that? Jokes are my thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, dumb and jad jokes everyone's thing.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, not tunment, no vulgarity, no mischief, no politics.
Speaker 3: Just be god.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, mom, I'll behave. I won't say anything controversial. I just won't say anything, okay, honey.
Speaker 6: I know if I open my mouth, I'll suck it up. I'll just won't say anything at all. And Maggie then sucks on her pacifier we call it her dummy here in Australia, and marg just gives her a frown, like even Maggie's in trouble for doing absolutely nothing wrong, and Homer says, you kid should thank your mother now that she's a better person.
Speaker 3: We can now see how awful we really are sorry. If you go back frame by frame, you can see my heartbreaking in real time. Yeah, I just oh, I love and I hate that simultaneously. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's where Marge stops. She turns around, she runs because Maggie'll be cuddle. She can't believe, Like she realize, now, this is not who I want to be. This is not who I am. And she says to Homer, I like you in your face humanity. I love the way Lisa speaks her mind. And this be here. She goes, I like Bart's he looks at me like oh, and she goes, I like Bart And I'm like, this is so beautiful, like nothing in special particular. Just I like you, buddy. I just love you. You're my boy.
Speaker 3: I love you, you know. It's just it's so sweet. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And she says she prefers her old green dress and she says, you know, I've set my life savings on this dress, but it won't mat at least we'll have a thirty three hundred oar credit shout.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I think that's so funny that it's like she can't even get the money back, like she's yeah.
Speaker 6: But Homa's like, well they sell beer and gum, right, and then Marge says, let's leave because I don't want to be part of any club that wants this version of me as a member, and Lisa said they wouldn't have accepted us anyway, And it cuts to the party and welcome to Simpson family and there's a big thing just for them, and everyone's accomplished. Not here, she's missing her an initiation. Susin says, I hope she didn't take my attempts to destroy her too seriously. And mister Burns has baked home or a cake. He's pickled the figs himself. You know you made the effort as well. Just that's the best way to end it. As I was saying, is that we spent the whole episode judging these people for being rich knobs when at the end the end of the day, they really wanted what's best for the Simpsons. Yeah, but now now at Krusty Burger and the squeaky voice, Teaen says, you guys just come from the prum well Kinder and marsh as they realize, you know, they're more comfortable in a place like this, and he thinks they're crazy, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why this is a shithole.
Speaker 6: I think that's what makes this episode so relatable, just like the common viewers, because like you, at the end of the day might like the idea of going to a fancy club, but we all just be eating at Krusty Burger, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like you don't have to perform, you don't have to like pretend that you belong to this insane group of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. Yeah, I think I think the lesson is that you can make a Krusty Burger at home for much less.
Speaker 6: With frozen, discolored chicken and bread crumbs. And but that is the end of the episode. But yeah, so scenes from the class struggle in Springfield. It's one of my top ten favorite episodes of all time. This is the ear of the Simpsons that I because I wasn't allowed to watch the Simpsons when I was a lot younger, so when I started watching new episodes, it was about this time. So I think I hold those ones. I have more nostalgia connection to these ones. I remember watching this one when it was a new episode. But but yeah, I'm thank you for choosing this one, Nina, Oh.
Speaker 4: Thank you for letting me do it.
Speaker 2: And I can't believe it was the first episode credited to a female writer. That's so cool.
Speaker 6: Writer, and I think those female writers. But the first time I was a director and writer both female at the same time.
Speaker 4: Perfect.
Speaker 6: But yeah, thank you for chatting for so long, so we've kept.
Speaker 3: You for so long.
Speaker 4: No, that's okay. I'm really unemployed, so thank you for all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fun employed, I believe is the current term.
Speaker 2: But I'm fun employed. I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not unemployed. I'm still like working on stuff. But it's fair. I think.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it's not being like staffed on a TV show or having to go into work every day, I guess is my version of I usually have three jobs at once, so to have not one consistent ongoing job is very like to me, I feel I feel like I'm at sea or something like lost in my free time.
Speaker 3: What are you working on right now? As Gnomes started filming yet, Yeah, we filmed that.
Speaker 4: That finished a couple of months ago.
Speaker 2: But what's coming up? I mean, like Deadlock season two I think will come out next year. So if you want to rewatch Deadlock season one, go ahead and do that.
Speaker 3: There's a bit of a gap in between seasons, right yeah, they did.
Speaker 2: I think it's because they were like writing it and then to film Deadlock. It takes quite a long time because there's so many moving parts and there's so many like parts of the crime story.
Speaker 4: But I just I think it's gonna come out soon.
Speaker 2: I've seen the first four episodes and it's absolutely phenomenal. It's so crazy, but it is like Darwin is an incredible setting for a TV show, and I think everyone's gonna they're just like the punchlines come thick and fast with this season. It's so good.
Speaker 3: But can you tell us a little bit about Gnomes. I just know it's a horror comedy.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Nomes is so fucking funny. It is a horror comedy.
Speaker 3: It's just is it coming out Halloween time or when's it coming out?
Speaker 4: I think it's coming out next winter.
Speaker 2: And then I'm in another show called Sunny Nights, which is coming out this summer.
Speaker 4: But it's all these things.
Speaker 2: That like I'm in this interim where like I've banked all this stuff and then it'll be in the future.
Speaker 6: Well, you're clearly your name now that it's like having Nina associated is a positive, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's cool and the names. I got to play a horny milk, so like pretty much in every scene that I'm in, I'm like spilling, like you know, I'm milf age, guys, I did it. I may I'm a milk now, but man, I'm thirty two, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Thirty seven and four days? Please calm down?
Speaker 2: Or two days even good dilf, I guess you'd call it. But yeah, I did have to wear like quite like a leopard. I remember they like put me. I got like they put me in like a costume, and they do this thing where they'll try like five different costumes on for the character.
Speaker 4: And I've got put.
Speaker 2: In all these little type dresses that were like kind of middi dresses. They were across the knee tight and then yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bit peppery for me.
Speaker 2: But they then they on the fifth dress, they were like, let's just chuck in like the sluttiest option. It was like a tiny, tiny denim skirt and like a leopard print bra and like this brown lace thing.
Speaker 4: And I remember putting it on and me and.
Speaker 2: The costume girl were just like, there's no way they'll pick that. That's the one that they chose, and so it's very funny watching me like teeter around in this kind of skimpy outfit, filing like cream all over my hands, and I don't know, I had to do a lot of like dumb like sexy mel for acting, which, yeah, I'm really growing as an actor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, The Gnomes is gonna be great.
Speaker 2: It's it's about a small sleepy town cop who's basically put in charge of the regional Gnome festival and this evil spirit in the form of a nome queen, ends up bringing all the gnomes to life and they kill they try and kill all the humans, and there are some.
Speaker 4: Really hilarious deaths. Anyway, I can't say anymore.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've ad.
Speaker 6: I'm a nightties kid. So I grew up on the Goosebumps books. Goosebumps books. Yes, there is a book called Revenge of the Garden Gnomes which sounds very similar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's definitely as silly and as funny as a Goosebump book.
Speaker 3: And Sunny Nights is there. It's like a crime comedy dramma with Will Forte and Darcy Cardon from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really funny as well. So they play like a brother and sister who I think sell Tanning Beds. I was just in one little scene for that, but the scripts were really, really funny, and.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: And it's so cool that this stuff gets shot in Australia now. And I got to meet Darcy Carton, which was wild. But yeah, watch them when they come out whenever that is. But yeah, until then, I'm I'm just working on a I'm writing a feature film, but that's neither here nor there really, Well.
Speaker 6: Sure be in cinemas soon in years. Well, well, thank you, and when you are super super super super famous after all these shows, don't forget about it as and we'll have to have you back on the show again sometime.
Speaker 2: I won next timme im in Geelong Man, hit me here? You up?
Speaker 3: What had he ever been to Geelong? Don't lie. You've never been to Geelong.
Speaker 4: Literally never in my entire life.
Speaker 2: But Dave Ashby, who was a writer on Koala Man, used to zoom in from Geelong every single day we wrote that show.
Speaker 4: So I'm familiar with you.
Speaker 3: Flew over us when you were when you were when you were going down to Tasmania to make Deadlock.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, well, thank you againting it a few of time, and I'm all the best of all the projects you were coming up in the near future.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you too.
Speaker 2: I'll see have me on the Seinfeld one, have me on John Cougar mellon Camp podcastd Cougar Melon cast.
Speaker 6: It Rights herself told you she was a charmer.
Speaker 3: You weren't lying.
Speaker 6: It must be love in absolute legend, absolute champion. And yeah, she's just she's just kicking so many goals lately.
Speaker 3: She certainly is. And yeah, look added another one to the scoreboard by joining us on fourfing a Discount today and absolutely killing it exactly right. Great guest, Very very happy to speak to Nina. Come make any time. Ninna could be most welcome.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: We'd love to hear from all of you guys as well, mailbag at four finger discount dot com dot You would love to know which guests you'd like us to get on in future episodes, because so much fun going back and revisiting these classics with you know, we've been doing comedians a lobby at Ali Siga from the from the Ringer, But I think comedians they're just they're so much fun. They love the Simpson mean, who doesn't love the Simpsons? But they just they know how to podcast. There's such fun guests to have on the show.
Speaker 3: They're fun and they're funny.
Speaker 6: And then they're fun and they're fund out exactly what you want here at four finger discount. But yeah, also, please continue to rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you do find this show. All of your kind words are much appreciated. We do read all of your reviews, and of course you can support us on Patreon for early and ad free access. But this has been our chat with Nina o Yama to review scenes from the class Struggle in Springfield. Thank you so much for all of your support and you find the words, mister Davis for those incredible listeners out there.
Speaker 3: Well, we hope you've enjoyed this treat of an episode. I myself treated myself to a Sanka three days ago.