Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a special episode of Full Circle the Podcast. Today we're visiting with artistic director Deborah Block and actors Arianna Glee and Scott Career from Theater Exile in South Philadelphia. We recently saw their play Job and it stuck with me. What an incredibly intense experience. We're really excited to talk with you.
Speaker 2: I am your host Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: And I'm your host Martha Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle Table. Hey, how are you well? Yeah, all speak at once, It's fine.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: We're the day before Thanksgiving, so that's exciting, right, It's wonderful to have you all together. I have so many questions, how about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So first I would definitely like to talk about a job, because Yo, that show was masterfully done and it is a rollercoaster and I just I guess Debora would be the one to start this off with. Tell us about job, what it is about?
Speaker 3: What it's about? Oh No, it's a scary question because it's about so much. It depends how you enter it. But a woman walks into a therapist office wanting to get her job back is the simplest answer to that question. And it's also about discovering truth and hiding and revealing truth at everyone's own terms. It's about that as well. And it's about facing what you think is maybe evil, or facing fears and challenges and how well you you do that and don't do that? And can you be your best self? And who are you versus who people think you are? Is what people see who you really are. I think the play asks all of those questions and answers a.
Speaker 4: Couple of them. It really does.
Speaker 1: And you know, I went between the two of y'all deciding who I loved and who I hated. It was that you did and it changed from moment to moment, you know, I am going to say. You know, And having having done theater many many years ago, the fact that two actors can take a stage and hold an audience captive for the entire length of the show, that's that's no small task. And what the two of you did, it's got to bring you out by the time each night. I mean, how do you how do you all regroup? That's this's my first question, all right, Anna? How do you how do you where do you like, do you shake it off?
Speaker 4: What do you?
Speaker 5: I think it was especially wonderful to work on material like this with Scott because I think if you get too.
Speaker 6: In your own head about.
Speaker 5: The self sacrificial nature of acting or whatever it might be, rather than where you actually are in reality.
Speaker 6: I mean, I was getting to do the thing I love most in the world with a.
Speaker 5: Phenomenal other actor, and every time we walked off the stage, the first thing out of Scott's mouth would always be something positive about what we just did, which is a.
Speaker 7: Really beautiful trait. Yes, partner, and especially when it's only us in the show. So I think there's I look at this show as a true thriller in how it's created, which means we go to very dark places. But there's also this energy that comes from the audience that when we perform as actors.
Speaker 6: I won't speak for Scott, but when.
Speaker 5: I'm performing, I go, oh my gosh, that's exhilarating. That's amazing to feel people lean in and really listening and have an investment in the story, both because of some of the ethical, moral, you know, very painful things it talks about, but also because they're surprised because there's a twist because there's really jump scares in moments they didn't expect.
Speaker 1: I had no idea where we were going. I got to tell you, I had no idea where you were taking me. And yeah, and I sat there just and Scott, I don't know how you do this every night either, because that's a lot to carry.
Speaker 8: Well. Yeah, I just first of all, it starts in the room and rehearsal, and we had a very dead runs, a very very supportive, safe and collaborative room and and we you know, having that kind of security and trust is vital when you're working on material like this. And yes, to echo what Arianna said, performing with Ariana was an enormous pleasure and we sort of hit it off right from the beginning as performers. And uh, it's a lot like like the live It's a lot like playing music with someone even though like you know the songs and the lyrics, but you're playing live in front of an audience. Something happens and you're kind of adjusting and you know in the moment, and that's sort of what it felt like. And that's to me, really really fun. And so it was not difficult coming down I think or you know, just in general, I'm kind of like that, I leave it at the door. But working on a play as good as this, with artists as good as these is just fun. Period.
Speaker 4: It's gotta be. It's gotta be.
Speaker 1: But I just you know, I'm asking obviously from my own personal but but I would absorb, you know, a character, and I would think I would need a huge.
Speaker 5: I will say, I have a sweet little dog that I was able to bring with me to Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Oh good, yeah, she's over there.
Speaker 6: So I do.
Speaker 9: I think in my personal life I felt an effect in that I wouldn't watch super violent things. Most of my YouTube most of my YouTube life during this production was more dog videos, even though I already have a dog. Like there's little things like that where it's like, okay, let's let's take care of what we put into our head because we already know very strong images from the show or there, and I would try to not get overwhelmed in that way.
Speaker 5: But you know, I think that's that's true for most people in life. It's just you know, when you're a little bit stressed in one place, you're gonna take care of yourself in another way by giving yourself a break.
Speaker 6: On what you're consuming on the internet.
Speaker 4: I hope, Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 1: You know, the concept of just the work that your character did needs to get back to.
Speaker 4: So compelling.
Speaker 1: And you know, we start off with this sort of I don't know, slightly unhinged person, but then it's like, wait a minute, how would any human and you carry that so well to like, yeah, just you know, how does someone carry so much in this world?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And I don't think I'm giving away too much to say it. You know, it's about knowing information most folks don't have access to slash shouldn't have and shouldn't and perhaps no one should. And then what do we do with it? And how do we how do we hold that as humans? Deb Were you the person who chose the play?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I was. I always work with a group of people, but yees, yeah selected the play. Was fortunate to see it in New York in the Broadway run, and immediately felt that it would benefit from the intimacy that theater exile provides because I always want to find a show that is better because it's in an intimate space. Yes somehow, yeah, And so I really felt that it would that sort of experience as and I said, it's a thriller that sort of intimacy and have an audience right there and literally feel the sounds that are going on around them. I thought it would benefit from it.
Speaker 1: I felt like I couldn't get up and leave. I can't go. We all we all have to sit here right now. And that's part of it, partly because of the space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And you mention your choice for intimate plays that can exist in an intimate space, and I have. I've only seen a handful of productions from Theater Exile. Loved every one of them, but every one of them has been exactly that intimate taking place in one location. And if I may really fucked up and it's low key, what I come to expect, and is that the the fucked upness, is that something that you you go you look for in each play or that's just a happy accident for me in the times that I've won.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's that's a little bit of of our DNA. We like, I really like to dig into the human condition. We like things to feel timely, to feel like current, like we should be seeing this right now, that it makes sense that we're watching it. Right now. But when you get into the truth of the human condition, we're messy there, and and and we all have a little fucked upness within us, and most of us, I think try and put the good face and do our best journey. I think both of these characters we're trying to be their best selves through the whole journey, because I think that's what we try to do. But when you reveal what's going on underneath, it gets complicated and messy and dirty. And I don't think we can fix things or understand things if we don't dive into that. So I'm not surprised that of the handful of things there was a through line of fucked upness.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So it wasn't just a happy accident, Okay, No, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I mean there might be some things that you wouldn't describe that way. But I don't know, Scott, You know, our work is as well as anyone. What do you think.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I like that that Exile chooses plays that challenge and engage with you. You know, it is not you don't go to theater Exile to be nostalgic or to be you know, modified, or or you know, have you know, nice, easy experience, but it's always entertaining and engaging and sort of uh, asks you to look at things from a different perspective, ask you to re examine things that you thought you understood really well and uh. And so it's and again the audience knows why they're there and is excited to be there, and that's very gratifying to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Just don't come expecting forty second street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said, said wrong with forty seconds, no second?
Speaker 8: Who doesn't want to watch you know, incredible tap dancing for two hours?
Speaker 4: That's not this?
Speaker 2: Ain't that.
Speaker 1: We got outside and Charles said, well, and I said, that was not a musical. That's kind of where I was. That was not a musical.
Speaker 4: Music, not even no.
Speaker 2: Not even a fossy production.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, I think we talked all the way home just about you know, just unpacking it. And I think engaged is the right word. You know, it was so engaging and it led to so much thought and consideration, and again masterfully and very humanly played in the ways that we have a mask, in the ways that we present one way and can can often very much be another. And what happens when that's confronted. You know what happens when that's explored in front of us in real time when we can't get up, because I really I was riveted the entire time. So yeah, engaging is I think the right word that I've always kind of put to Theater Exile, that that's what I expect and never disappoint. And that was actually the difference.
Speaker 2: Seeing this last show with you. That was the first time because I always used to go before we got together, go to things by myself. So after I experienced what you guys gave, normally have to sit with it by myself. It was good to be able to express with someone else for a change, because whocha like, just to give you an idea, Like the first thing I ever saw I don't even remember how many years ago was Bug and that show. Well i'd seen the I'd seen the movie first, which is why I was like, oh my god, they're doing that, and so yeah, same thing. You get that human condition, who are we really? The mask falling off and what looks what does it look like underneath? I like that through line.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 2: You know there's an entire season's offering. Uh from Theater Exile Debora talk to us about you know, what are the other things that are going to be coming at us.
Speaker 1: Job has officially closed, now, am I right about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Job closed on on Sunday. We were thrilled that the playwright joined us on the end and the director New York joined us for the final production, and that was really lovely. We were they were very happy with our production, which made me very happy.
Speaker 2: You've got a very more recommendation.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: We did, We did, and I think everyone did a great job. I think the design team was just yes, just spot on. You walk in and you think, you know what that space and is beautiful, inviting, and it just transforms in such a dramatic way. So I think everyone did just a fantastic up on it. The next thing that's up for us is that we do a series called Silly Grit, which we bring in a couple of usually local artists and who are artists generating their own work. It's devised work, it's direct to dress work. It's usually one person pieces, and they probably existed before the kind of like fringe style work, and and we do a series. They play in rep and then we have a cabaret speakeasy that happens one night with Cookie Diorio leading that. And so it's these pieces in rep and the two shows that we're doing. This is the official announcement. I guess is a Vacation by Bastian Carboni, and it's a journey goes on vacation to purgatory. He's an influencer and sees what sort of damage the entitlement, even through purgatory you can create. And it's really it's funny and weird and definitely goes dark and inside the mind of Bashian Carboni. And then the next piece is by Justin Jane, who's a wonderful performer in Philadelphia. He's doing a piece called The Dangers of Tobacco, which is built off of Chekhof but he it starts with them kind of breaks open and it explores his journey, his family's journey here to the United States and talks a little bit about place and who we are and and sort of embracing the truth of who we are. And it's really interestingly told with total levels of reality and there and so those are those pieces, and we're going to end our season with a play called The Great Private How to Flip ten cents into a dollar by Nia Aquila Robinson and is It takes place in Philadelphia on the original cemetery location of the original cemetery of Mother Bethel Church, and it takes place in eighteen thirty two and the present and in the same location. And the place starts with a mother and daughter standing over newly dug graves and trying because they hear that they are grave robbers that come. And eventually a student from Jefferson shows up with a shovel. And so it's really about protecting your family. And the Truth of Again is about unearthing truths in terms of what is good for societies, what is good for a human and it jumps to the present and it has parallel experiences and it sort of takes the harm that's done to black bodies through the generations and how do we accept what we cannot change and find joy where we can find joy and just facing the truth and lifting a paintbrush or a hand or an arm and saying, I take my truth in and I put it out there for people to see. And it's really a beautiful, beautiful play. And this will be its first production in Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Okay.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I have an idea of where this goes towards the present day, but I'm not going to take too much stock in that because I learned a long time ago when when you think you know where something's going, you probably don't or at least not go.
Speaker 1: Now, well, we see either of you, Scott or Ariana and again in this season.
Speaker 8: At Theodore Eglielmilk.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we do want to know what else you're doing.
Speaker 6: By the way, I will be there in the audience. Oh okay, that counts fantastic for me personally.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, you you mentioned coming to Philadelphia, So were you based.
Speaker 6: I'm based in New York. I was the understudy on the Broadway production of Job. Oh well, and then.
Speaker 5: I had a very close relationship to Max, our playwright, who's just brilliant, and he had such a love and respect for Philadelphia theater exile.
Speaker 6: He has roots in Philly.
Speaker 5: His dad works there, all these things, and so he wanted to take particular care of the production of Job in Philly and helped connect me in Deborah and I auditioned against some really incredible local local actors and.
Speaker 6: Luckily it all worked out. Met Scott at that audition and really hit it off and yeah, yeah, and the rest.
Speaker 1: Is history did it was so amazing. What's next for you? Do we know yet?
Speaker 5: I did just doing a wonderful audition, hustle.
Speaker 10: I teach acting, and so I'll be teaching teaching some acting at Patrick Page Studio here in New York and online at my Acting Coaching online dot com.
Speaker 6: Which I founded and work on.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the rest is I guess.
Speaker 5: The very next thing is I'm in the upcoming season of The Night Agent on Netflix. So when that releases, awesome, Okay, see me acting there.
Speaker 1: Okay, we definitely want to share, you know, in the notes of the episode, if you'll send us your information for the online acting classes, because I can already recommend them seeing your work. Because Scott, what about you? What's are you based in Philadelphia?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I live here?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 8: My next thing is I'll be at Quintessants Theater in Mount Airy in February in a show called Rare Accidents, which is Alex Burns, the artistic director, has sort of together Shakespeare's Henry four parts one and two and sort of focuses on the false staff how relationship. I'll be playing Falstaff. And then in May April May, I'll be at the Walnut Street Theater in seventeen seventy six the musical. But yeah, I'm playing Ben Franklin.
Speaker 2: We'll have to let Kathy know that seventeen seventy six is me.
Speaker 4: To down my goodness.
Speaker 1: My sister is, yes, a big fan all musical theater almost, so I.
Speaker 2: Just want to take a moment and give a shout out to Philadelphia Theater and it's many practitioners. Theater Exile has been devor how how old is Theater Exile Now we're.
Speaker 3: In our twenty ninth season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Theater Exile has been a jewel in the crown for going on three decades, and I love it so much. I love the quality of every aspect of the theater, like, for instance, in job, every element worked in harmony, like the sound design and the lighting design in particular, you were just in this world and you're jarred in and out of it with such precision, and that takes such skill. And I just wanted to, you know, give the entire production team their flowers, because.
Speaker 1: Yes, because when sound and lighting are not spot on, you don't want.
Speaker 4: To sit with Charles in a theater.
Speaker 2: This is also true. I have been known to point out not during the show necessarily, sometimes I can't help it. I will point out things that you can't help us should have happened.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 2: I'm also one of those people that like the first thing I do when I go into a theater, like I look at what the setting is on the stage, and then I look up and see what we're working with.
Speaker 4: That I get.
Speaker 2: I can't help myself.
Speaker 1: But he'll just like, well, that was a choice clearly not the one you would have made. So it's it's an interesting way, you know, from the production standpoint to try to watch a show. And we were not taken out of the show once, So krudos because it happened.
Speaker 2: Nor did we expect to be all and and that's you you mentioned, like again the intimacy of theater exile Deborah. Again, that's something that I did notice. How you do a lot with a little and I mean, obviously it's a it's a choice because you pick things that work in an intimate setting, Like is it the bare bonesness of of a budget? Is it an artistic challenge? Yes, because every every time it's it's successfully done that way, like maximum minimalism, I guess we call it.
Speaker 3: And we are a very small company. I mean that's the truth. Our budget is very small. We're in South Philadelphia, you know, so it's there's there's a truth to that. But I believe in the power of creativity, and most of the people that we work with again and again know that they can embrace their own creativity to find something incredibly powerful. We do sometimes do things in multiple sets. You mentioned the unit set, and that that's true a lot. But but when we do things with multiple sets, it's let's embrace the metaphor where's the metaphor, let's just go there and and just and embracing that. The tech was spot on, not because we had a huge team, but because we had great people who love Everyone wanted to collaborate, everyone wanted to bring someone in. Arianna was so connected to like the rhythm of the sound and the like. Everyone was working together to make things happen. And when you give people that freedom to do that, they come back and they're they're their best. And so I think people had a lot of fun and just embraced, embrace the creativity of it and just went for it nice.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's so gratifying to, you know, have an intellectual experience these days. I kind of that, you know, where you really are challenged and we really are. It's like, wait a minute, there still are smart people in the world. We do we do talk about, you know, things that matter, because it can feel like we don't.
Speaker 3: I will say our audiences are amazing. I love the people that see Theater Exile show. I learned so much in the lobby. On the way back. I had so many interesting conversations with therapists and social workers who really had something to say. I'm like, man, I wish I'd talked to you before the show. You know, but we have incredibly smart, engaged people who make our world better, and I'm thrilled that part of what makes them so effective in the world is coming to Theater Exile. So I take our responsibility seriously. But we are audiences. Man, I love them. I'll go to lunch with every one of them. They're just brilliant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can feel that.
Speaker 1: There's just such a sense of it, and it was like, Wow, I'm a part of something here and that doesn't happen everywhere.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: So many times we go and just you can feel an energy that says, I'm here to be entertained. Entertain me, right, different vibe, different vibe.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't get me wrong, I love being entertained. Oh sure, yeah, you know, anytime the light goes down in the theater, I am like a frigging kid. I just I just I am so excited.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: And I do hope this is entertaining and fun in exile version of fun, you know, absolutely, but yeah, because it hopefully is taking you on a journey somewhere, so you're you're moving with it.
Speaker 1: It was funny.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, yeah.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It had really good moments, and y'all, I mean your timing was impeccable and I did not expect to laugh, and you know, so you held that tension well, you know, and knew where to sort of give it a breath and and a smile and a laugh, and it was like, oh, sometimes it was kind of a nervous laughter, but it was yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's placed. It's perfect for theater. Exile is perfect for someone like me because I learned a long time ago that there are things that are universally funny among an audience we're all laughing together. There's things that like some of us will find funny, and then there's things that only I would find funny. And those are the moments that I really love because this is like, Okay, I'm an interesting person with that. Is there any are there any plays that are like on the bucket list, both for you guys as performers and you Debra as artistic director, Like I want to do that before I can't do anything else.
Speaker 4: Who wants to go first?
Speaker 6: I love Shakespeare.
Speaker 5: It's funny because when I was a kid deciding to become an actor, when I was eleven, how I was introduced to Shakespeare.
Speaker 6: Was the Utah Shakespeare Festival. That's where I was born and raised.
Speaker 5: And back then, the theater model, especially in that part of the country, was this repertory theater where you're gonna do three if you're an actor there, you're gonna do three shows out of the sixth all summer, and then when that one's over all summer, you're gonna go to Milwaukee rep for the rest of the year and you'll do the six shows there. And so that's what I thought. My sort of adult acting life would be. And then of course everything has shifted so much in a few short years, and so and some amazing things have happened, you know that not necessarily all for the negative, but I definitely thought there would be more Shakespeare around and it's so enforced in training and all these things, and so it actually it makes me grateful to get to do a show like this because when I very first read job, I actually I texted my manager at the time. I texted her, it's like Hamlet, you know, And I don't want to give away too much to anyone.
Speaker 6: I'm just going to listen to this, but there's something.
Speaker 5: Very much in Jane, which she's how how the play navigates mental health to help us explore a really clear dramatic tension, and this how we get the courage to do something or not, how we question ourselves or not. All of that reminded me of of Shakespeare.
Speaker 6: So I'm always I'm always thinking about Shakespeare. I'm obsessed with it.
Speaker 5: But other bucket lists are working with Scott and Deborah again as soon as possible.
Speaker 6: In any capacity.
Speaker 1: Love that there was such an element of, you know, doing the right thing, and what does that look like. It was one of the things that I kind of wrestled with was, you know, sometimes things are so scary and making the choice too or is it a choice?
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like I cannot live with this thing, so therefore we just have to move forward.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I just remembered that part.
Speaker 8: Yeah, working with these two very very top of the list role wise. I always wanted to play Sweeney Todd. Also, I was when I was young. I was in a production of Death of Salesman at the Arden about thirty years ago now, and a man who passed away this year, Tom McCarthy played Willie Lowman, and it was one of the greatest performances I've seen by an actor anywhere. He was a huge figure in the Philadelphia theater community. And I, you know, I'm nearing the age that he played, you know, he he was when he played really uh, And so that's something I would love to do as well at some point.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of actual like the scripts, Like there's there's some scripts that are beyond what theater exiles can do alone, you know that, But like I'd love the play that just came out of about a year or so ago prayer for the French Republic, which asks such an important question, which is when when is the time to leave? Like where you are? When is it time to like what if we don't trust our country anymore? Really important big questions, but it's huge. It's eleven characters, you know. I oddly I would love to get back in the world of musicals, like I used to do choreography and direct musicals, but it's been years and years and early in my professional career and I'd love to do that again. And you know, there's just good, chewy psychological dramas are always my favorite, you know, with humor, always with humor, love to make people laugh. You used to do butlers of Charles Ludlin and George you know, you know, blow your skirt up, half fun psyco beach Bardie things and I love those as well.
Speaker 1: You know that idea and I have a question with this too, but the idea of place and when is it time to leave?
Speaker 4: You know, I.
Speaker 1: Work as a counselor as well as uh, you know, work with a hell of a lot of trans people and it's been a question that so many, you know, some have had to answer that's right when my mind went to you, and you know some are still you know, grappling with that and just being the person that says, look, there's no right answer here.
Speaker 4: It's the right answer for the human right.
Speaker 1: Is where I've stood that, you know, because I have issues with the trans community eating itself anyway. But we can't tell one another when that moment is. You know, I had a friend and a member of a group I facilitate who had long COVID and after the results of the election, they picked up and went to Canada immediately they had planned to and they did, and they said, I am too ill to fight. It's not that I don't want to, I can't. And you know, miraculously this human is healthy and vibrant and came back to life and we didn't see that as possible. And I went, you can't tell me that was the wrong decision, you know, even though they took a lot of golf for it, you know, like if you you're using your privilege to leave us all here. And I said, yeah, this is what's right for me. And it's just one we're grappling with. I mean, I never thought we would have an underground railroad in twenty twenty five for my communities. But we do, but we do to get medicine to folks, to get them away from laws that are killing folks.
Speaker 4: So yeah, lots is going on.
Speaker 1: I was in a conversation with someone recently and they there was just an offhanded opinion. I can't really talk too much about the specifics, but it was a trans icon who said to me that there is a film finally coming out about their life. And this person who knew them very well, said, yeah, that's not going to happen, not in this climate. And I said, I think this is exactly the climate. You know, This is when we need to hear these stories and see resilience. And that's my perspective. So I'm wondering from your perspective, Deborah, especially, I think it's the time to engage more of it, not less of it. I don't you know, when we talk about shying away, especially where artists concerned, this is what art is supposed to do.
Speaker 3: I have in our core values at Theater Exile, you say that to live as an artist is a privilege and it is our responsibility to help make our community a better place. And I believe that every person. Every artist does it differently. I mean again, straight entertainment, I love it, love it. There is a place for that and a place to make your soul lighter, so you can do what you need to do. Like so, I don't ever want anyone to think that everyone's artistic path needs to be one way or another, needs to be the way Exile does it. But I do think those conversations are important. That's the timeliness to think, Like even if it's a play that's you know, one hundred years old, but seeing it today makes sense and makes me thinking grapple with the world out there. So yes, in this climate, yes, I mean, of course the arts community. I mean we've lost funding because we've chosen to say things in this climate. You know, that's that's the that's the reality of it. But but yes, in this climate, that's what we're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the politics of it all, it's you know, dose was I mean, I think they're gone now, aren't they didn't they implode recently? But you know I built and ran an LGBTQ addiction program in New Jersey that you know, our entire grant just went away. And it was those who did it. You know, Demas was funding some incredible work with you know, like leftover COVID money, I guess, but they were using it in ways and with populations that have been underserved for too long, and we were doing some great stuff with that money. It wasn't being wasted. And I said, I guess when we were recording. Recently, we haven't begun to see the truth fallout of the programs that were cut in terms of mental health, in terms of addiction, in terms of underserved populations. It's going to get more and more obvious what has happened. So yeah, I just and you know, there's that idea of preaching to the choir, right right, the folks who come to see this are all going to be the Yeah I want I am in the choir, and I also want to be preached to, you know, I want to be reminded that humanity matters. Indeed, that there are other people who care, who are grappling with the same things, who are you know, really trying to be better humans and figure out, you know, what the hell is going on.
Speaker 2: And the artists are always the ones that I look to first, because, yeah, talk about boots on the ground, you know some of the best art is made in the worst time, So that part I wanted.
Speaker 6: To say, I think this play funnily enough.
Speaker 5: I think one of its strengths is that I don't think it actually preaches to the choir.
Speaker 2: I think it's an amazing.
Speaker 6: Strange thing.
Speaker 5: Where As you said, as we did our introductions, that you were choosing moments to where you loved one of us and hated the other and switching that. And I think there's parts of Jane that are so admirable and so interesting, And then there's parts of Jane that, especially this is written to be in January twenty twenty and now we're in November twenty twenty five. A lot of Jane's Silicon Valley Elon Musk esque love of tech and meritocracy and how it's given her life purpose really is scary now, really is jarring to kind of to listen to and really understand.
Speaker 6: And yet there's other.
Speaker 5: Parts of her that are completely correct that if she's she's coming from this past of really elite spaces where people talk a lot of game and then don't actually have a stick of compassion to give to anyone, and she's genuinely trying to to treat real problems in the.
Speaker 6: World like they are fixable, which they are.
Speaker 5: You know, it's such a wonderful mix of things where I really think some pretty wherever you are on the political spectrum, you can come to this play and you can see yourself in it. And then there's you're gonna see parts of yourself you don't like, you're going to see the world save your part. You're going to see the why am I so afraid of guns? Or why am I not afraid of guns? You know, like there's not afraid enough yet in there. I really or the play for that because I think there's it's rare that you really have a play where you don't know who the bad guy is, that that that isn't always true.
Speaker 10: And so.
Speaker 5: The fact that that this play it switches hats.
Speaker 2: To me and I have been forced to ask myself the question in recent years, what if there is no good guy?
Speaker 8: M right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's like that's not a question we like to ask, but.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I mean that was a part of it was just kind of the as I said, what is the right thing? You know, who benefits, who suffers who? And how do we it's not clear cut. Sometimes sometimes it's really hard. And that was Boy, did that come across.
Speaker 4: It really did, Like.
Speaker 1: This is not black and this is not so clear, and you know, and I think that that lens is important, you know, like what an innocent time. January twenty was as prepared to exactly January of twenty twenty five, for instance.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Different, Yeah, and who'd have thought some people did some thaw coming.
Speaker 2: There were a sidebar going back to the bucket list play question, there was there is a show that popped in my head this morning that I was like, I wonder what theater exile would do with this, The Pillow Man.
Speaker 3: So the Wilma did a production of Pillow Man a number of years ago, which I saw, and as soon as I saw it, like at the end of the play, I ran out of the theater. My memories that I ran home and then looked at the my then baby son, like I just had to like look at my child and make sure everything was okay, like I random. And then there was another production in the Philadelphia area. I can't remember who did that next production.
Speaker 8: It was Hedgerow really yeah, Pete Pryor was in it. It was the first time I'd seen Pete performing a long time. That was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. First of all, keep coming with those suggestions, just like, let me know, I love people who love theater eggs out to give me plays. It's I really value that. I think it's really important. I think Killaman is right on the money in terms of like the something that theater egs that will do. It's just been done too recently.
Speaker 2: I didn't even realize that, Wow, you messed up. That was actually the show that made me realize what I said about some things we all think are funding and some things just I think are funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I've been I've been in that room where like we're watching this play and I'm the only one that laughed, and it's usually a big laugh.
Speaker 2: Of course, it's like, oh, so I'm the only person that thinks that a twelve year old girl dressed as Jesus dragging across around the living room is hilarious. I fine, I'll be that.
Speaker 3: No, we just have to end up at the same play at the same time. More Have you Ever done?
Speaker 5: Have You Ever Done?
Speaker 2: Mother?
Speaker 6: Play by Marcia Norman.
Speaker 3: Night Mother, Night Mother, Sorry Mother. Yeah, the Paul.
Speaker 5: That just came out is called the Mother play.
Speaker 3: That's great. I have not No, we we never did night Mother. You never did Night Mother. Yeah, I'm just saying.
Speaker 8: That a big one. That was a big one in acting school. Yeah, as such, beauty seeds for.
Speaker 6: Women's so good.
Speaker 3: No, it's true, it is, it is true. Yeah, we haven't done that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, random question. But I went to see Oklahoma, the most recent production twice, and it's creepy as fuck. And you realized that they could take this piece of iconic musical theater and slightly rework it and you're watching a different story. I wonder if anything else comes to mind like that, because that was a trip for me to go, oh, this is a whole and it was all there.
Speaker 4: Those words were all there.
Speaker 1: They were just smiling when they said them. The stuff that was okay that we, I guess didn't see.
Speaker 3: I mean the racism and Pacific I guess is really.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's part of the play, but you know, hearing it now becomes right part of the play. I'm trying to think what else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. I was blown away. I was just blown away. Oh, I like Oklahoma now.
Speaker 1: And there were two trans cast members who were just playing roles. They you know, there wasn't an agenda beyond that, and they were fantastic, you know. So we took about twenty five people to go see the play and meet the actors and it was amazing really, but I was just left thinking, hmm, what else could we do that with, you know, just tell the same story.
Speaker 3: But a lot of the older plays, I mean, it's been sort of the casual racism and misogyny, and it just it depends. We've looked at some what I call like legacy plays, plays that are speak to the like what the psychological dramas, that what Peter Exel does. But if the misogyny or racism is present but doesn't actually move the story quite right, you know, it's it's it can be a little it's scary, but we've looked at some of some of those and it yeah, it's it's it's it's hard. Sometimes sometimes you can successfully make that transformation, and sometimes it's just like why are you giving these thoughts space? And and so yeah, it's finding the right one that can be twisted and uplift the story rather than just giving old ideas space on stage right.
Speaker 1: Right now, I just I left going well, I saw a whole different show, and I just watched the exact same show.
Speaker 2: I love the ability of theater to change, not only the audience or the actors, but the thing itself. You know, it's just it's it's a wonderful It's a wonderful, magic thing. Devor how do you know you found like the script? Because some people it's like, oh, I get nervous, I get sick, I get the chills, Like, how do you know?
Speaker 3: It depends on the place. Sometimes sometimes I'm I'm never sure until the until the play shows up on stage and it's done, you know. But more of a like I remember when I read Passover and we did that during COVID. We did it outside in a park. It was wonderful product. I remember when I read it, I was screaming in the house. I was on vacation with my family, and I'm like, oh my god, oh my god, does anyone know what I just read? You know, and you can sometimes feel it. I felt that with Wolf's Play by Hunsel John, Oh my god, such an amazing play. Also plays that play with form really excite me, really really excite me. And sometimes it's just like when like with job and it's like, oh my god, just digging into this will be exciting. Yeah, it's uh, it's when you want to spend more time with it, do you know what I mean? Like you want to have a second date.
Speaker 1: I'm intrigued. There's something there. There's layers here that I can dig through. Please keep doing amazing work. The next show opens.
Speaker 3: When the next show will open March eighteenth, okay. And in the meantime, yeah, actually, we have things happening at theater, Exile Theater and the X is going to be there doing a show in December.
Speaker 1: Great, and that's all on your website, yes, folks can follow that way.
Speaker 3: Well. Yeah, our rental partners are on our website as well, so there's always something happening.
Speaker 1: In Exile beautiful, and we will link to all of that. It's been amazing chatting with all of you, it really has. Thank you so much for making the time. We love the work that you do. Please keep going, you know.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Thanks for pleasure.
Speaker 3: It's been a pleasure. Thank you for a blisting live theater. It's just and so little off for your theater, just so important, so wonderful.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Literally our pleasure.
Speaker 1: Oh I yes, yes, thanks for this work and have a have a peaceful.
Speaker 3: Thanksgiving you as well, you as well.
Speaker 4: Thank you by every one.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Skurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scured Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.
Speaker 3: A pat flap flare th play
Speaker 1: Plant plant plant