Speaker 1: It's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and carn S e O and JP Sorrow. He's a lapsed fan.
Speaker 2: In all my years and wrestling.
Speaker 3: I never seen anything.
Speaker 4: And it's the laps fan name by the one in the ring.
Speaker 5: Forget about Sado.
Speaker 6: He the real king of swing.
Speaker 2: When the bell.
Speaker 4: Goes in and the kick like me throwing in the corner.
Speaker 7: But it's lash like stick.
Speaker 5: Even Jerry King can take off the crowd nodded in.
Speaker 8: His head like it.
Speaker 4: Steve low Brown, would you get low down?
Speaker 9: Go even high up?
Speaker 3: Flipp you on your head?
Speaker 10: But you know cool driver, you.
Speaker 11: Speak more now and Dragon spits fire give you more shock than when he treats higher drop a more truth than the con of sniper unless you with a coconut.
Speaker 3: Roddy Piper, Jack and JP.
Speaker 4: He like j Y d drop the cupcakes and gold.
Speaker 12: The brain Bob means the best podcast Frost start the close cloud.
Speaker 13: If you all been as a classic.
Speaker 14: And pose well, this is the run. This is the run of SID as we continue our tribute to the Psychotic One here on TLF which and Sid Fashion Boss is just.
Speaker 5: Well actually there was a SID.
Speaker 14: On this on the Austrian indies named Sid Vienna, but they didn't not they never got sued for copyright infringement or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Surprising it that's his fall. Should have checked it on it.
Speaker 14: But I mean, I adventure to say, if not for the run we're about to talk about, on a journey that into Sid fashion keeps growing new heads.
Speaker 5: As it Inferls before us. But we don't. We don't.
Speaker 14: We don't shy away from the challenge, no matter how psychotically those eyes wilink.
Speaker 5: That's the reality of it, all right. You know we've said it, and it's not we don't be We're not facetious when we say it that we leave no stone.
Speaker 14: Unturned TFX like damn fucking right. Indeed, And so as we look at SiZ returned to the w WF in nineteen ninety six where we last left you, this is the run where if you didn't have this run, I'm pretty sure we don't do a tribute show with this guy. I mean, as central as he was to the Hasbro era with the Hogan feud that was, that could have just gone down, as you know, no different than Hogan's feud with I don't know, somewhat different but not much different than this feud with what Big Boss Man or something or.
Speaker 5: Ki Kung Bundy King Kung Bunny. Very very good. Yeah, because there's the wrestleming the main event competit to that one as well.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but because he won the WWF Championship after stabbing ourn Anderson, after being h exiled and becoming you know, unemployable.
Speaker 5: And I knew that they even knew that he was, that he had stabbed arn Anderson when he came back in ninety six. I don't think I knew that. Now.
Speaker 14: That wasn't really something you would easily know unless you subscribe to the newsletters. Yeah, I'm sure it was on the internet, but the Internet was still you know, prodigy. It wasn't very easy and intuitive to find him for me about wrestling if you weren't plugged into the right message boards and forums. And even then, you know what happened to be sort of mentioned offhandedly, it had happened years ago, years prior rather, but when it happened in ninety three, yeah, I mean, there was very limited information. I'm sure further because it took place in England, it wasn't even like a right story The American news media covered. So it's just it's so pro wrestling that Sid has the run of his life and cements' legacy after you know, doing something more horrific than pretty much anyone in an American wrestling office. This other ever done into a co worker here. So that's the business. That's the Sid story. And he comes back in ninety six, as we talked about, because Ultimate Warrior has another falling out with the company. There was supposed to be a main event in the July ninety six international incident in your House where Hogan, pardon me, Hogan, Warrior was team with a sary.
Speaker 5: What do you mean an international dude?
Speaker 14: Hogan does not believe that was an innocent slip of the Tongue Warrior Shawn Michaels and I'm a Johnson. It's supposed to be a three man team and a six man Warrior falls out. Sid shows up. We played that clip last week and little did they know at first, you know, it's just this idea. We need to do an emergency replacement, get him on a couple of house shows. Well, warri were scheduled and the fans be pissed off if he doesn't show up. Replace them with somebody, you know, with the star power of Sid uh to make them happy and make entreaties to sit around just a fuck couple of shots, you know, just come in. We just need you to power mombs and people bail us out for this pay per view, and then pretty soon we need you, Pal.
Speaker 5: But I never said we weren't going to use you full time, you know. I didn't say that we weren't. I said, you know, we need you for a couple of things now, and then we'll probably have you working overtime. Listen, but I'm paying for you, Sid. We need you, Pal. You know, we need a lot of things right and right now we need Sid. We need a lot of things to go psychotic. In ring, he tells Sid, we need a lot of things. In other words like look, I can't I don't have any time right now for you to say no to a full time run. Listen, You've got to go full time hard and you can't turn back. And he does.
Speaker 14: And you want to talk about serendipity. What was the last pay per view that we did on the feed before SID before deciding on the SID tribute shows and embarking on that.
Speaker 5: It was buried Alive, right, I mean, come on, yeah.
Speaker 14: Right, that's the pay per view where it's now clear that they've shift shifted directions that Vader is not indeed going to take the strap off Shawn Michaels at the nineteen ninety six Survivor series, as we've talked about in the archives covering that show quite a ways ago, and that they're going to go with Sid because Sid beats Vader at Buried Alive or relatively cleanly, and you can kind of see the in my opinion, the pou pout face on Vader as he makes his way to the ring for that match. He does not look like a happy guy. He looks like someone that, according to Sid, was just kind of made it a ware over the weekend that he's not going to get the title and he's not going to get the run and that he he fucked himself out of the opportunity by having a match that wasn't to Shawn Michael's liking when they met at SummerSlam nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 5: So pathetic.
Speaker 14: And this the same Vader who has, you know, a fate intertwined with Sids from the Tag Team in WCW in ninety three, to sure being the guy that tried to help close the wound and the stabbing incident in the England hotel room a hotel, I should say, so just remarkable that it once again comes down to Sid in Vader. They finally meet in the ring, and in Sid is the one that pulls ahead in the race to become the top guy in the WWF. And we all know, we all know how impactful that win was at Madison Square Garden in November nineteen ninety six. We all know what we tasted and what we felt, and we're going to revisit it here as we essentially serendipitously pick up where we left off right around Buried Alive October nineteen ninety six, which is so true, and this I'm realizing as we go, this will make a really nice addendum to our ninety seven journey, which, as you will call, we launched rather stealthily by covering Roy Rummel nineteen ninety seven, without making any kind of a big production out of the fact that we were going to march stomatically through every pay per view WWF pay per view of nineteen ninety seven until we got to the Montreal Survivor series and you know we Sid gets short shrift in that Montreal story, right, Yes, yes he does, but he's there. He's kind of like, he's kind of like, no, he's not there. No, not not when the Survivor series happens.
Speaker 5: But I'm talking about when he's yeah, when he's yeah, he is, he's I mean, he's a major part of that. He's a major part of the company until the summer, and.
Speaker 14: He's part of you know, the Sean Brett tensions that that spill from the screen to the back and vice versa, that they kind of revolve around Sid in this title win, you know when Sid goes away pardon me, when Sean goes away having lost his smile. It was supposed to be said that he lost the strap back to when Brett has his absolute breakdown in the ring on that famous Raw episode and says this is bullshit and shoves Vince on the ground and punches Pat Patterson. He was in the steel cage match with Sid on that show. As we're about to talk about old, think about the fact that you know that the show we're actually going to deep introducing the first deep dive of the Sid tribute here. The next time We're with you next week on the Sid tribute the February nineteen ninety seven raw where Brett loses the strap back and it becomes very clear that it's not to be Brett and Sewan at WrestleMania thirteen, who does he lose the strap to Sid for sid second WWF Championship win. You think about the Alamodome and all the significance of that around the Brett Sean thing, and how it was to get Sean back into you know, pole position after so many fans seem to turn on him at that Survivor series. It's Sid and they're in the Alamodome with him as the nexus. I'm not saying Sid is the centerpiece, but he's there. He's the guy that all this is happening around while he just kind of stands. They're all orbiting around him. He's the Sun and he's just standing there expressionless. That's what I picture.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's you know, that's a leet. If he were if he were the Sun, if he were the center of the universe something like that, he would he no pun intended, He'd be just off in spacebsolutely would be. He would have no idea that there were things circling around him, he'd just be completely lost.
Speaker 14: And I'm not sure that's an inaccurate description of the man. I mean really, as this all takes place, he's just like, we're I'm I going to get a run, Like he's oblivious to the fact that the only thing that matters is Shawn and Brett. Like this title when we're picture.
Speaker 5: We're off it.
Speaker 2: In this.
Speaker 14: We're gonna play what About Me? Exactly right exactly. It's like, are you listening to the TV? We're about to march through it systematically. This is going to be one of the finer tooth combs of this whole Sid tribute because we want to really tie together Survivors Series ninety six and him winning the belt back for the show that we're going to deep dive the raw after the final four pay per view in February nineteen ninety seven. We're going to basically listen to everything Sid did for the period of time where he could have been framed as the top guy, as the WWF champion, and when you go back and listen to it, Boss, it's like they hardly talk about the guy.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, he's nothing.
Speaker 14: I mean, Sean Michaels is on commentary when he loses the time to Undertaker at WrestleMania thirteen, and the whole story is like, what if Shawn Michaels think about Undertaker versus Sid. It's not that Sid is main eventing WrestleMania, defending the title. Undertaker is about to win the title for the first time at WrestleMania. It's hardly about that. It's just about Sean running his mouth almost.
Speaker 5: The entire second time. The second time at.
Speaker 14: WrestleMania, I said, oh, oh, I see what you mean, and just running his mouth the entire time, like Sewan is just he's just blabbing over all of Sid's segments from Surrider's Series ninety six until the ray after Final Four, all the way through WrestleMania.
Speaker 5: In fact, I don't to see what's problem is.
Speaker 14: And when it's not Sean, it's Brett, you know, and his grievances and his feud with Steve Austin kind of overwhelming Sid's segments on Monday Night Raw as well. But we're about to transition. I'm gonna ask you a question. I mean, you talk about we talk about Sid kind of unwittingly being in the middle of all this when they make that fateful switch from the Monday Night Raw and the design and the graphics and the look and presentation from ninety three and switch over to Raw his War and that heart core look and presentation. Who's the first guy through the curtain on that first show?
Speaker 5: Sid?
Speaker 14: It's Sid. That's absolutely correct. Yeah, I mean, come on, folks.
Speaker 5: It's just listen. He's he's just a weird He's such a weird entity that he's always there.
Speaker 14: It's always there, and he ends up in these pole positions and it doesn't really ever seem to be quite by design. It's almost like happenstance, you know, like he's oh, totally You think about the pretense he was brought in in ninety one in the first place, with WWF about being this top babyface as Hogan's about to, you know, take a hiatus to get away from the scrutiny and do some movies. And by the time it's over, Yeah, he's in the Wrestlmini made event. But he's like a totally different presentation yep, than what we've been led to believe was in mind for him in the first place. And what actually is reflected in the way he's booked, not only in SummerSlam ninety one, but on that very first match we ever saw that he did in a taping against Teddy Biasse. He's like totally working like a guy who's going to be a world champion babyface, bumping and feeding and doing all that stuff, like yeah, definitely definitely feeding, Definitely definitely feeding. They bring him in to be a tag team wrestler in eighty nine in WCWNWA, and he just like absolutely captivates the crowd and pretty much is the main event of Hollyween Havoc nineteen. He is the main event of Halloween Havoc nineteen ninety but pretty much without any foregone plan in that direction. I mean, no one would have marked him as being in that position as recently as he had just come into the company his first national television run.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is the story of Sid.
Speaker 14: He just and he ends up making all this money and he never really is the reason the money's being generated around him. But he's still there, he's still in the picture. He could still lay claim to being a key face of it all. And it's really it's a fascinating career and I'm positive we didn't spend enough time thinking about Sid when we did the ninety seven journey, and now we get to focus in.
Speaker 5: Definitely did not. I mean no, there's no chance in hell that we that we spent any any real time on him, And so he talked about it outside of his matches. He probably got more, he probably got more attention during the dive of each show than actually you know 's actually talking about him.
Speaker 14: Absolutely, and I think we spent most of our time just trying to peace out and tease out, you know, the subtleties and everything Brett and Sean said on WWF television, and how you can start to start to feel the kettle boil between those two. You can start to see the remarks toward each other get more pointed and more sort of out of character for a typical WWF microphone showdown, and you start we're just like doing a forensic examination of how the Brett Sean thing just fell apart from being relatively on the same page going into WrestleMania twelve to not even being able to be in the same room with each other by WrestleMania thirteen. And yes, Sid's there, but there's no way we spent any time thinking about what he did or what he said, and WWF didn't really either. I mean he is he let himself, I think, be tricked into thinking that if he did well as champion, that they'd keep the strap on him. You know, well here ' helim say that later and Bruce Pritchard and others have squatted that away like completely ridiculous. It's like you should have known the second you beat Sean in the garden, Sid, that it's all about getting it back to Sean or to somebody else. There's it's not about let's see how long we can run with Sid, and you know, to Sid's I think SID is defensible and saying like, well, I kind of got fucked there because no one ever really gave me a chance. Everyone assumed that I would get long in the tooth as a champion and couldn't be somebody that could be a defending champion carrying a territory for a while. And he had certainly earned that reputation considering how many contracts he'd walked out on by this point in time. It was not sound business practice to really, you know, build an eighteen month campaign around Sid or anything like that.
Speaker 5: He might stab somebody in the fucking with scissors.
Speaker 14: Right, But when he sits back and looks back in his career, in the shoot interviews and stuff that he ends up doing, it's it's not a bad point. Like I never no one ever really found out if I could have produced as a as a touring champion, as a guy that you know that was given the ball, It's it's not a bad point. I think we all know what would have happened. But he was allowed to basically look back on his career and say, well, we can't say for absolute sure that I would have crashed and burned because the second the belt was put on me, the plan to take it off me was already in play. And that's that's a weird position to be in. But it did account for him having, you know, his highest triumphs in the wrestling ring, and the moments that flashed right to mine first when you heard about his passing were this run, yep, this title win, and everything that happened around it heading into a Wrestlemandia thirteen and now, of course, the night after Final four, February seventeenth, nineteen ninety seven, Monday Night Raw was live in Nashville as the ras after pay per views still were back then. And what do you remember? This is the first time that WWF championship ever changed hands on Monday Night Raw.
Speaker 5: I mean, I remember it like it was yesterday. Honest to god. It was such a it was such a moment. It's the first time that I can remember where I was so excited that I got up my feet with my arms in the air. That's big, I, you know. And that's when Sid beating Brett, you know, because I was so sick of Brett. I was so sick of Brett. And you know when I when I when I heard that he had won, you know. And again I didn't know. I think I talked about this before. I didn't know that he that that. I didn't know anything that happened regarding Brett and uh and Sean, Like I didn't know that Sean had fucking released the relinquished the belt. No fucking clue I learned about that on that raw. I'm sitting there wondering how the fuck did he become champion when Seawan was champion last week? Right, And then you hear about it and you see what happened, and it's like what the fuck? And yeah, and then I and then I was just like, oh, of course, you know, something fucking happens, and of course they go back to Brett. It's always fucking Brett. Here we go again. And I was like, they're never going to change the fucking title. They don't do that shit, They don't fucking do that. They don't put they don't change it on TV. And then when they did, I just it was it was glorious. Yeah, yeah, that glorious.
Speaker 14: At one, two, three hits different back then where the ref actually registers an official count for a world title change on live television. I mean even even WCW they had done world title changes. I think when Paul White beat flair Ford it was on Nitro, for example. But for the most part that just didn't happen. You just didn't get title changes world title changes on free television.
Speaker 5: You just didn't know.
Speaker 14: And yeah, it was it was definitely as we'll talk about as we examined that episode of Raw, it was definitely like their strongest bid to be like, Okay, how can we format a show where like we drag this thing out and try to beat Nitro or try to do well against Nitro. I mean, Nitro was fucking killing him in February ninety seven. But you know, they tease it out. They pretend they're going to open that episode of Raw with the Sid Brett match, and then they delay it, and then they try to bring it back at the top of the hour, and then they delay it. This is a two hour it's actually a very it's a very clever.
Speaker 5: Ratings ploy. Oh yeah, you know, the way that they the way that they strategize it, it's actually pretty it's pretty darn clever. Yep. You know, it's definitely it's cheap, you know, but it's also it's also pretty clever.
Speaker 14: And that's another thing about Sid, Like, you know, he wasn't there when they finally caught fire and started kicking ww's ass, but he was a key toy in the toy box to try to figure out what does it look like to reform that Raw to be more competitive. He was a guy. He was he was a he was on that chessboard of guys they moved around, and you know, even though it didn't succeed, as we'll talk about, necessarily, this title win for Sid was I think a direct offspring of the fact that WWF is trying to find its way to compete against this WCW and Goliath that was forming, and I'm not sure, you know, I'm not sure Sid gets the belt. If those pressures weren't in play, I'm not sure they would go back to him necessarily. I think it was sort of chicken in the egg. It was like, we need something huge on raw. It's live, so it's not in the can, right, so we can actually make a call on the fly about what would be most unpredictable, And so Sid winning the title I think probably penciled out as one of the most impactful things they could do to see if they could make a dent on the nWo phenomenon. So Sid again kind of just like in an advantageous situation that really is really none of his own doing necessarily. So you wanted Brett to lose the title on this show because you were sick of them going back to him, not because he was now like two and a half months into crying about how Steve Austin was costing.
Speaker 5: Him every ding. No, I wanted him to turn heel two years prior, if you remember, yeah, ninety five, after the during the World War I was like, I was ready for him to turn heel then, and I was just so sick of him. I was so sick of him always fucking winning.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 5: It was ironic to me as a fan that he was whining about getting screwed and I'm like, you get everything fucking handed to you. That was my opinion of him. Wow, that everything he fucking had he always gets. Like he was he had been the guy since ninety two, and I was so sick of it at this point, Like he and he always beat the guys that were my new Hogan, right, you know, he beat you know, he he didn't really beat Luger, but he beat Luger in a different way. Didn't get the fucking strap, you know, he beat he beat Diesel, you know, and and you know Sean losing, I mean him losing to Sean was a big deal for me too. But this was huge. This was huge because I just I had them. I was not accepting of of a reality that WW was willing to switch a belt number one that fast and number two on TV. Right, I was like, they're just not going to do that, Like, get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 14: It's amazing happened because of course, after he comes back at Survivor series, the same show where said takes the strap off Sean that we've been talking about and beat Stone Cold and that comeback match clean afterwards, it's an immediate like campaign by Austin to just constantly sneak attack Brett Hart every single week. And so this is the beginning of that brilliant Brett Heel character who was justified in what he was saying. He was being wronged. He was being yep, you know what I mean. He was being cheated out of opportunities to get back on track cleanly. Because this guy made me happy. It made me happy that he was being wronged. And they got it that they leaned in. They said, Okay, even though on paper, Brett's the one on the right here, the people actually are responding strongly when Sean, when Steve Austin does this to Brett. So maybe Brett should just start being a cry baby as opposed to somebody that has like legitimate grievance. He's not the guy who's going to just turn the other cheek. He's the guy because I already felt that he was entitled right and so now he, like you said, they're leaning into that they're actually having him be, you know, play an entitled bitch. And if you don't think that part of the psychology here, part of the psyche here is Vince knowing that he just gave Brett a fatter contract than he ever thought he'd ever have to give a rest and that that's not kind of bleeding into how they're presenting Brett, then you've got another thing coming. I mean, Brett even picked up on the fact that after that Survivors Series match, which was a great match, they start talking on television like Brett started to look a little tired, started to look a little rusty, started to look like perhaps his better days were behind him. It immediately as soon as they signed that contract. I feel like the process begins in the way Vince's mind works, The process begins of trying to find flaws that don't justify that paycheck. You know, of course he's seeing everything not through the lens of what is Brett Heart doing out there, but his Brett Heart doing enough to justify what he was able to back me into a corner and force me to essentially pay him.
Speaker 5: Honestly, there's nobody who could you know, live up to.
Speaker 14: That well, especially considering how poor the company's fortunes were at the time. I mean, Austin was up to the task because he started generating revenue on par with no other and it's like, okay, well he's clearly running. But this is a time when they're in the fucking tank. And because Vince felt like Brett going to WCW would have been like the final referendum on WWF's lifeblood, like all right, it's over, Like they can't even keep red heart. He went deeper into his pocket than he had that twenty year deal two and a half million a year, whatever the hell it was. And and so it's it's amazing how suddenly within weeks Brett is a cry baby on TV yep, and Brett is entitled, and Brett is whining and he's really good at it because he probably kind of has a bit of that streak of his personality. I'm sure they're like, oh this, you know them, it's always like, you know, the way the guy pisses them off. Behind the scenes, they find ways to sneak that into the television presentation, because of course, how they process someone being able to get to them is all right, we'll just we'll make money off the fact that we can't stand the guy.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, he's being a bitch, so let's make him a bitch, put him on TV and right because but Brton, I think you're a bitch, so I think you'll play a great bitch on TV. Let's talk about it, let's talk about let's brainstorm.
Speaker 14: And when they get back, you know, think about it a Bretton Sean, go at it.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 14: It's time that that's Sid. You know, Sid's in the mix. Sid, that's his pay per view main event, was first ever a pay per view title defense main event. So it's it's uh, it's fascinating to adjust your lens on this off talked about, you know, the covered ad nauseum time period and adjust your lens to see it through what Sid was actually out there doing and what Sid was out there saying. And that's what we're gonna do here. As we enter a pivotal point in our examination of the career of Sid, we do have to remind you, of course, that this is all made possible by the fact that there were listeners among you who aren't bitch asked motherfuckers, yes, who understand and that if you don't pay for something, it dies.
Speaker 5: And there are people who aren't entitled bitches like Brett Hart.
Speaker 14: Right, well, we'll keep podcasting for you. We see you out there, but you can hardly blame us for taking the appropriate time each and every time we take the microphone to remind you that the only reason TLFX is here, and the only reason we can go this hard for this long, is because people decide. You know what, I'm not forced to pay for this, therefore I will, right, yes, I'm not forced to pay for it, Therefore I will. And patreon dot com slash the lapsed fan is the way you can oil the engine and keep all this going and get a ton in return. I mean, it's not just what tipjar here, folks, a ton in return, not the least of which boss let them fucking know about it. I can't believe you made me watch the latest installing in Scary movie Season under the cinemat.
Speaker 5: Terrified Too Motherfuckers.
Speaker 14: Starring Chris Jericho, but also starring some of the most gory and insane violence I've ever seen in cinema.
Speaker 5: And not only that, but I also you know, for those who who aren't a part of it, who who missed out thus far. I also made him watch every single gory portion of the previous films, like the highlighted ones, in order to build up to the fact that we're going to see something even worse. Well, you need context, right exactly. Of course, context is king and controversy creates cash. And what was the story? What was it? Arisa?
Speaker 14: He had a we did it. We made a fun of it in t n H. He had like an acronym for like story suspense.
Speaker 5: I'll find it. Oh he did, Yes, he did. A fucking idiot, But we got one more when we're coming up. We're going to take a week off this week and we're going to bring to you on Halloween Day proper and absolutely one of the best. And that's all I'm gonna say. It's one of the best. And I'm I am so fucking excited. You want to talk about SARSA.
Speaker 14: You want to talk about story, anticipation, reality, suspense and action or surprise and action. Sorry, we're talking about the capper for Scary Movie Season twenty twenty four under the cinemat And.
Speaker 5: Then we'll bring it back and we will conclude our James Bond journey during November and inciting times.
Speaker 14: Mpasize if you could. When can folks expect that final scary movie season installment?
Speaker 5: Halloween? Halloween Night, Halloween Day? Oh, Halloween. Halloween's on a weekday this week? Right, Yeah, it's on Thursday.
Speaker 14: So you know what to do, solar system, Right, you're at work. You know, Halloween when it falls on a workday, no one takes work that seriously, you know how to dial yourself in for trick or treating that night when you're at the at the cubicle.
Speaker 5: Bring That's all I gotta say is bring those fucking earbuds.
Speaker 14: Yeah, make sure those sons of bitches are charged. On All Hallows Eve.
Speaker 5: It's going to be It's I can't wait. I honestly, I can't wait for your reaction. That's what I can't wait for. That's gonna be the fun part.
Speaker 14: Yeah, don't forget folks, I don't know the movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I keep it a very very very deep, dark secret until we reveal it. It's actually kind of funny because in a weird way, they all know the movie before you know the movie, because obviously the movie is must I'm going like for a complete surprise. The movie obviously is in the episode title, and then you know, then you get surprised, right right. It's really cool. It's actually fun. I always like that about it me too. Yeah.
Speaker 14: I love not really knowing what I'm prepared for. I remember when you surprised me last Christmas movie season with It's a Wonderful Life, Yeah, and I like basically had to say hold on and I had to run upstairs and get my It's a Wonderful Life book because I have no idea. I'm like hustling looking through the bookcase. So I can't wait for that too. I mean, that's that's too far around the corner.
Speaker 5: It's right there, It's right there. Cap off the Bond Journey Christmas movie. I mean, come on, folks, what the fuck is wrong with you? Like, just you know what to do?
Speaker 14: And further to the Christmas point, by the way, that seriously fuck you for terrifier too. I cannot I saw the art the clown mask in a Halloween store and I was like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can't unsee that shit. It's all over the place.
Speaker 14: I'm standing in the aisle in a trance looking at his mask like I'm four years old again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a petrifying individual petrifying.
Speaker 14: And I'm like thinking to myself, like, when is it ever okay to show that to somebody else? You know, like even an adult, I'd hesitate to say you need to see this.
Speaker 5: It's almost like I've got a friend who, like he'd never seen it before, he'd never seen any of them before. And he had a buddy who was like, I want to take you to go see Terrifier three, but you got to watch the other ones to get up to speed, and he was just completely grossed out by how nasty it was.
Speaker 14: Was he just actually hesitant to even go to the theater and see it.
Speaker 5: No, no, he wanted to, but he was worrying, why why do I want to go?
Speaker 14: It's not unlike wrestling. It's like a secret language of like, you know, terrifier. Yeah, Like you have to look at someone and be like, Okay, they enjoy it for what it is, and they're not going to judge me when I you know, when I tell them that I watched it, you know.
Speaker 5: And it's also like once you know, you know, situation if you know you know, and that's that's it with Terrifying.
Speaker 14: Well, the key scene from part one that you made me watch from the first movie.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 14: I was talking to people saying, like, did you see the scene in the first one? You have to see you have say anything else. Either they know or they don't, And if they don't, it's not really appropriate to start describing it.
Speaker 5: No, it's not. But if they do, it's like they've It's like it's shared trauma, is what it is.
Speaker 14: It's shared trauma. And it's something that was full on, full throttle lap serendipity in that people started putting together in real time that this qualify just as we had made plans already to record it.
Speaker 5: And let me tell you, so that was actually planned. So keep in mind everything that has happened on Scary Movie Season this year was intended for last year because but then I booked that play and I just I didn't have time to put it all together. But all this was scheduled for last year, so it was like already there, and it was already in place, and I was already set to go, and then I had to push it off. I'm like, all right, well, well, just you know, I'll push it off to next year. So Terrifier too was in play last year. Amazing let alone the fact that there's a sequel out right now, you know, that's also the kicker, that there's a fucking sequel out as we're you know, as we were recording it, I had no fucking idea there was a sequel being made.
Speaker 14: It's it's not for the faint of heart. No, it's not one that I encourage people to watch the movie as we watch it with us. I mean, for some our description will be plenty, but you know, do so.
Speaker 5: For some even if you. Some of the comments too were like, you know, I thought that just listening to the audio would be okay, But it's as bad. It's as bad. It's as bad.
Speaker 14: Ye when you hear like the suffering and the screaming absolutely and the blood chortling noises.
Speaker 1: It's the La Fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno m JP soro.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: And that's another thing, the comments like we don't sell that enough. So much fun to watch Solar System members go back and forth on comments underneath the audio files on Patreon, but you can't really participate in unless you pledge. But it's so fun man to see what people pick up on some of the notes people make, some of the corrections, some of the extra resources people point you to. It's like, so it's so gratifying to do all that work to put it out and then everyone just picks up the ball and tries to make it even better.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's amazing. So it's absolutely amazing. It's so it is very gratifying when all that happens.
Speaker 14: It's how we know it's real and long may continue. And it's a busy schedule because on the monthly premium live event calls that we do of the modern WWE shows, that's starting to kick into a year. On another level, you've got Crown Jewel and you've got sur River Series November. Of course, the River Series always a big show right around Turkey Day, so I'm sure we're going to be fat and happy going into that one. It looks like they're going to do the Saturday Night's Main Event as a December p l E the return of snm E, so that that qualifies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it does. Live College doesn't. Uh Yeah, Live College indeed, Live College Podcast. You're damn right, So we're looking forward to that. As mentioned, Scary movie season becomes James Bond conclusion becomes Christmas movie season.
Speaker 14: Oh yes, Wrestle Mamia. Wrestle Mamia. Wrestle Mamia for the moat tier. Only the things that are coming, the things that are about to be unloaded.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's a non stop barrage of of of Mama sorrow.
Speaker 14: Yeahther around the hearth with Mama sorrow this holiday season. I mean, what more can I say? I don't know, but I'll try to say more. How about that versions you.
Speaker 5: Know, she's she's a she's a gem. Some people have called her a national treasure. It's saying they're wrong. I think that's hilarious to say. But I'm not saying. You know, I'm not saying they're wrong. People would have just seen let me see here, I think, what's the moment. Okay, so people, oh wow, you know this? Uh, this is I actually did this. I'm trying to think, Yeah, I did this before before we were doing Terry Funk, all right, and I had, you know, with the idea of Halloween themed matches throughout October. I had my mom watch Rick Flair and Sting versus Terry Funk in the Great Moda Wow from Halloween Havock.
Speaker 14: I'll wait to see her reaction to the electrified cage. Yeah, I'm electrified of the thought. And again, for those unaware, that is an exclusive benefit for our Mote Tier members, the highest tier members. It's it's rich for a lot of people's blood, and we respect that and appreciate that. We appreciate all of our patrons in any denomination, but that's a special group that deserves special treatment. And Mama Sorrow says everything a mother should say while watching professional wrestling with her son.
Speaker 5: That's what I'll say.
Speaker 14: And if that's your if that's something that appeals to you, if you know kind of what we're saying when we say that, you might want to even just sample the vote Tier to get to get a flavor of what's going on with Wrestle Mamia. But add free versions.
Speaker 5: Of the show.
Speaker 14: You get deep dives or part twos a day before anybody else does. There's absolutely no arguing the utility of it, and we thank everybody deeply for their support. On on patreon dot com slash the Lapsed Fan. There is also there's also I don't know there there's there's an anticipation in the year there's a big vote coming up, is there not. Yes, there is probably the most important vote of most of our lifetimes. I would agree it's the most important vote. It is the tlf X Games King of the Cast. We are down to four competitors to determine the greatest character in the history of the Lapsed Fan podcast has voted on via X by all of you out there in listenership land. It has come down colapsed Jesse Ventura versus lapsed Kevin Nash on one side, and on the other side, lapsed tell In Hart versus lapsed Vince. And we've already delivered somewhat of a sizzle reel to the feed for those that are trying to get a flavor from Highlights Pass. And I was crying listening to some of them, crying listening back to some of the things, some of the words we have put in those characters' mouth sposs over the years.
Speaker 5: I actually I'm always you know, I always say, and we've said it a million times that with how how long these shows go and how long we record, that shit literally comes out of the mouth and it's forgotten. That's just the way it is, just the nature of the beast. It's very rare that something and actually most often something reads not because we did it, but because it resonates with all of you.
Speaker 14: And we hear about it. It comes back to us. Right, It's a great it's a great mechanism to determine like what really what really was gold is? Like do we hear about it again?
Speaker 5: Yep? And I I I was, I sat there like I cannot. I mean, honestly, it was. It was hard choosing things because you're like, well, wait a minute, there's this, and then I'm I didn't know where to go. Sometimes well you go.
Speaker 14: In thinking, you know, you go in thinking, you know the high points based on what gets set back to you the most, what gets referenced back to you the most, if you know, like a Twitter thread about what's the greatest thing or what should I start? If I getting into the podcast and those things, and over time those kind of cows find your mind. It's like, okay, like we'll put it to the people, like it's not my sense of what the best stuff was, it's what do people always mention when I asked independent of us and and then you get in you'll wait a minute, But this is not one of those. And this is funnier than all that shit. Yeah yeah, and I totally forgot about it, and the listenership didn't put it on the mount rushmore and it's like this is fun this is better.
Speaker 5: Or or to the point that I didn't even know this existed. That's the part that's always.
Speaker 14: Well, that's part of why it's better is because you don't even know where. You forgot where it's going. It's new to you even though you said it. Yeah, I mean you got to think about sometimes us like getting delirious at two thirty in the morning, like we're we're not always uh, we don't always have full control of our faculties. No, And I'm not only just talking about when Boss gets drunk and falls asleep on the live calls. I'm talking about just any old regular episode of the show where we're just marching through all the material we've prepared and it gets us, it gets a little ridiculous, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it does. You know, there comes a moment where it's like I don't even you know, I'm just gone. I'm just completely gone, and like simpy, like say, and you know it's it's uncontrollable.
Speaker 14: It's uncontrollable and U and we had a great time. We're visiting all of that and kind of resurfacing kind of the heart of some of these characters. You know, it would have been way too tall of in order to do that with all thirty two participants in the very beginning of this tournament, but we've whittled it down. Now is the time to buckle in and make a real decision here and keep it locked to our X account and our socials for information on when the vote's going to drop and when you're going to get your chance to decide who the final two are. I mean, it doesn't get more t LFX than this, It really does not. And we need to send a hearty thank you to our friends over at Garage Beer who have helped make all this effort worth it to put together this tournament for everybody and to deliver as we have so very very appropriate and very exciting. As the X Games continues, two unfold on X appropriately enough, and we're heading into the holiday season and it's now officially starting to feel a little late. Just to send us yeah, the gifts qualifying you for the show. I mean, Boss gets out that post office as much as you can, but I mean it's it's getting tight.
Speaker 5: We gotta put it.
Speaker 14: We gotta put a data on the calendar soon when we're gonna get together around the Christmas hearth and open gifts from you the Solar System for the third annual Lapsed Fan Christmas Show. The best fucking thing on any podcast anywhere as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, there's no question about it. I mean they're a mix of of like funny, thoughtful, and ridiculous. That's perfectly and what more, what more do you need?
Speaker 14: That's a lapsed Christmas to me? Yeah, dare I say elapsed Xmas brother ten years in? I mean that's what we're looking at. Damn right, tlf X mess I'm here, Damn right, you're here, and you can be part of the show as we sit together, uh to unwrap gifts from the Solar System and just react to what we're seeing and just revel on the fact that you know, I think more than anything, it's not that this is the greatest thing on any podcast. It it speaks to the power of podcasting more than than any other thing. I think you could you could record agreed, because this is all made possible by the fact that we've taken to the mic and had had You know, we're given reasons to believe that if we kept going we would find kindred spirits out there. We would find people who were like, yes, this is what I need in my life. Here's the proof that I mean it when I say that. And as these packages come into the post office box, it's just such a such a heartwarming reminder that we are doing something that that really brings the good out in people and the best out. Yeah, and again, please don't overdo it like we've been blown away. And we all know that part of the magic of Christmas is excess. But man, we don't need four things from everybody. I mean, if you really feel you need to send it to us, if you have like a you know, if it's part of the execution of the gift, I mean, don't. We're not going to discourage people. But man, we always end up with way more than we know to do it.
Speaker 5: Oh god, it's it's unbelievable.
Speaker 14: You gotta remember we have to do something with this stuff. Aver we parcel things out aboundst each other, we're like, what are you doing this?
Speaker 5: What are you do with this?
Speaker 14: It's it's quite it's quite an experience.
Speaker 5: The consumables are one thing I'll accept and accept and really accept the fact that some ship's going to get burned over time. Yeah, or that night, no burned. Hey, you're going to send us a Jeff Hardy cut out, a cardboard cutout. It's going right in the fucking fire.
Speaker 14: Last year, boss Man literally burned a fat headset.
Speaker 5: I ever post that video on him. If I post that video, you know I haven't seen it, so there's no way to take the whole thing. I should will put that up around Christmas.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that'll be a reminder last year at this time, talk about the hearth, right, damn right. Maybe if there's anything burnable we get this year, we have to save it and burn it during recording of next year, and that'll be our fire, our fireplace.
Speaker 5: Of course, that means I get to keep it great.
Speaker 14: And we know that came from the homie Big Steve, who also gave us Jerry Lawler half naked with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which got me almost in trouble with my wife.
Speaker 14: I mean, he already told us that this one's a doozy, and he's it's on the way. We've been informed and so if you want to be part of this, you probably just have a a week or two to get in.
Speaker 5: Every yeah, I will conveniently not make it to the uh yeah, the po anytime soon time the par officer of course, you mean, yeah, right.
Speaker 14: The address to send us your Christmas packages is the lapsed Fan seven to ten Main Street, south PO, Box one one nine, Southbury, Connecticut, zero six four eight eight. Again, the lapsed Fan seven ten Main Street, south PO, Box one one nine, Southbury, s O U T H b U R Y, Connecticut, zero six four eight eight. And we really look forward to gathering around. And it's because of you that we do it. You know, it's like yep, it's guaranteed time in the same room, which creates creates a certain podcast alchemy and magic that is very hard to create over our distant connection here.
Speaker 5: What we've been in this right, and it doesn't you know, it doesn't happen as much as it used to. So that's right, that's right.
Speaker 14: Life is life is intense, life is insane. But because we know you mean business, we mean business. It's not more complicated than that. So we look forward to that and uh, it's stef only time to up the urgency around getting in because I know folks really would like to have their gifts in our hands so they can get our in person reaction as opposed to, you know, weeks later we connect remotely and then open it over a video chat, which we feel obliged to do because people were kind enough to take the time and send. But you are missing that magic window where you really get that organic reaction. So that's your thing. Those are your directions. And if you're starting to think about stocking stuff first for the lapsed fan in your life or things to put on your own personal list, we have no shortage of shwag available at Pro Wrestling Teas dot com, Slash the Lapsed Fan, and our store.
Speaker 5: Over at Chopped Teas. Boss Yes, and.
Speaker 14: As we embark on a further examination on the life and times of Sid, the Vienna shirts I think are going to be a real hit this Christmas season.
Speaker 5: Oh I think so. I think everyone's going to be in the hunt for some Vienna's. Come what's up there? Let them know come Christmas, we got a couple and you know, it's it's so hard to keep track. Two of all, I have a list on my phone of the things that I need to get to produce. So hopefully before Christmas, all that stuff will be all those shirts will be up there, so you guys can get on it. Yeah, don't don't.
Speaker 14: Don't lose sight of the fact that in the Progresling Tea store, this stuff is hand drawn by the boss. Like he Yeah, he personally creates the look of the shirt.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And you know it's like it's it's it's good, it's bad, it doesn't matter. But right now we got obviously, we got Sid's Vienna's. We got Sid's actual Vicious Viennas sausages available, uh to to swallow. And we'll also have.
Speaker 17: The and I send him an autograph picture.
Speaker 5: And then there's a course, the the the Saint Vincent's softball shirt softball team, which is the team sponsored by Sid's Vicious Vienna's.
Speaker 14: Well, we definitely have Sid's Memphis Church in our hearts and minds this Christmas squad.
Speaker 5: Let's just say that for now, and not not to mention the fact that we also have an old one Sid's softball squad. Yes, that's an older bit ye sponsored by Michler's Deli, Sterling Golden Pharmaceuticals and I am the s m A. Youve got to need it, and the incredible line of other uh uh with with you know. You know what I love, honestly is that sometimes I look back at the shirts and I'm like, I know that meant something, but I don't know what, Like, like, I'm looking a bit could have this one right here. Okay, it's a gray shirt with three p's on it and it says Paradigm Partner Platforms. I don't know what I remember. I remember like thinking, oh, I got to make a shirt out of that, but I don't know why, Like, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 14: That's a mission for our pals at lasts, you know, they can look that one up because it's it's hard, it's hard to remember all this stuff. But yeah, sometimes it just occurs to us. It's just like making a shirt that was fucking that was a weird moment. And sometimes it's a minute and a half that spawns a shirt. Sometimes it's an entire journey that spawns a shirt. But you damn right, definitely a lot to consider, and if you're if you're looking for something sort of upscale and price in terms of like you know, the kind of like specialty gear that you can wear outside of just like a T shirt. You do need to check out our chopp stores. The Homie Dicky is just doing incredible work and the stuff he's putting up there is just like, it's so flattering to see a pail of that level and quality, from jackets to hoodies to hats, all that stuff is with the logo on it is amazing.
Speaker 5: And to you know, be able to finally produce shirts that, you know, for reasons beyond our control, were denied by Yes pro wrestling teas and be able to have shit up there, that is just I mean, I can't. It's absolutely breathtaking to see the ship that he's created, let alone the Kreme de la Creme, the Piece the Resistance, the Wonderful, the Wonderful Varsity jacket.
Speaker 14: As Bark uncovering the first Raw is War where those jackets were created. That's right, so amazing stuff over in the chop Tea store as well. Cameo if you want to put your co chairs to work, but mostly the boss yeah, honestly, and just you know, decide laps can and put words in the mouthls of some of the Rogue's gallery of lapsed characters, or just have your co chairman send holiday greetings or anything else, happy birthday wishes, whatever the case may be. Cameo dot com slash the Lapsed Fan is the place to do that. And one last piece of business on this front, shout out to Gabe. We've been trying to keep you up to date on Gabe's condition. You know, we've shared the information about the GoFundMe to help his family out as he went through open heart surgery. As we understand it, the procedure is complete, he is home, he is recovering. It is a slog I read a recent post of his, and you know, the fatigue is unlike any It is unlike no other.
Speaker 5: You know, you can't imagine, I really cannot imagine.
Speaker 14: Just your home. You're recuperating, but you can't you can't behave as if you're back on track for a lot longer than I think people would probably appreciate having not gone through something like this. So the long and short of it is, we're we're thrilled that one of the great lapsed fans of all time is on the mend and came out the other side of this thing. But further do keep them in mind this Christmas season, and if you find it in your heart earn your wallet to help, or help even more than you already have. Just go to Google, type and Gabe Yoakam go fund me fundraiser Yoakum is yocum and see if the solar system can't help make it, you know, a successful Christmas over there for those fine folks. That's what we're about, that's what we're here to do. And the reason the reason we're in a position to call out things like that is because we podcast, and we podcast hard. Oh yeah, And I think it's time to pick up the most significant and medi part of the Psycho One's career, don't you, boss.
Speaker 5: I think this is what we've all been waiting for, the Revolutionary One. That's what Lutionary one too for them. That's when no one's run down. So yet I issued the call. I said, why do I think they used to call sid the Revolutionary One on WWE television and no one's found any example of it, So I just apparently made it up like VK Thunderliker as I do feel like you did tell me you made it up. Well, I had to.
Speaker 14: I had to conclude that because yeah, I've never found I feel like I've watched everything back by this point that he did that I would have would have remembered. You know, I'm not saying I watched everything he ever did, but I didn't watch everything back when I was that age. I mean we're talking seven eight years old, so there's only so many shows that would have left that imprint on my mind. Of course, and we talked about Sid in Vader at Buried Alive and in a shoot interview that Sid did with our video he got he got more into it than we even did on the Buried a Live episode. In terms of how the Chess piece has moved around to put Sid in position to become champion at the end of nineteen ninety six that there's been I think people that have kind of poop pooed the notion that Vader was actually going to win the championship. I'm pretty sure Bruce Is kind of said on his podcast that the idea that it was set in stone Vader was going to take the title and headline Survivor series as kind of overstated. But that's not how Sid puts it and here's here's what's going to get us oriented heading into his big November ninety sixth victory.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'll give you. You know, I don't think a lot of people remember this. What they call that was a tweener are in between baby face and hill, and that was somebody who could work with baby faces in hills. I was the very first one really to take that roll on when I won the belt from Sahn Michaels and what it was, I was told I was going to be a baby face for extended period of time and after that he'll etcetera, etcetera. Well, you know a lot of people realize actually that was supposed to have been Sean and Vader in that match, But I had worked with Vader in a house show at the Gardens prior to that and got such a reaction from the people. When I walked out, Vince was standing there. I knew without a word that he changed his mind. Who was going to be in that spot. No, they came to me said, we're gonna put this. You know, we're gonna Vader go over tonight because we'll go next time we're here. He's gonna be beating Hunk and then at the pay per view in Indianapolis, you'll put Vader over to, you know, for him to meet Shine at SummerSlam. I said, fine, you know that's that's perfect, you know. And so when I walked out that night to the walkway there I looked in Vince's face, I knew it was changed. So the month or so later, when Indianapolis get ready for the pay per view and they pulled me over the side, hey, things have changed, and I too, I told them what things have changed to.
Speaker 5: I knew it. You know, you just get those kind of feelings.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and you actually did the tweener role as well in the middle of the bratt Hard Steve Austin stuff too.
Speaker 15: Right and uh and that was that was a little you know for me too. As a hill when it was just hills and just baby faces. I was always a twiner, especially up in the Northern market. I was always perceived or cheered, and the baby faces hated that, you know, having to work with a guy.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 15: And I don't know if you know this yourself, but you know, if you're a baby face and you got ten thousand people cheering, you got one person booing you, it really grows mine, not mine. It doesn't bother some people. I've seen people like Bill Goldbert just literally go nuts. Customed person shut up, I say, hey, man, And then he's working with me and we'd get north and more people doo him. But no, I always I like that. You know, as a Hill, it's acceptable, you know, you accept the cheers in the boost. But that was That's always been my favorite rose to Hill.
Speaker 18: Did you find that with Shawn when you are working with Sean back then, that he would get real frazzled when the crowdits are going nuts.
Speaker 15: For you, not Sean, not Sean, notice Sean. Sean was up. I don't know if people know Sean as well or not. Sean is a real He's a giver. He gives out, you know, he gives to you. He makes me you know, like when we were Triple Threat matches me and him and Brett. You know, I'm not saying I said before working with Brett was like pulling teeth.
Speaker 18: He said that in the last shoot interview.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and Sean when he saw that me and Sean would look at each other. We just so I say, hey, we'll work around this, and Sean would go out of his way to really make me look super cool in the match. I do the same for him, and we do the same for Bed as well.
Speaker 14: So Sid as tweener, I mean, this is the role. This is the ultimate example of that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean, I mean I also I don't agree with him being the first tweener at all. I think I think it was definitely mashed the year prior.
Speaker 14: But you know, I mean, my fucking Paul Orndorff was a tweener when he was shooting with the Hogan. I mean it was like, oh was he I don't know. Yeah, yeah, There's always been tweeners on the roster. It's just a question of who do they turn their attention to. You know, all it takes for a heel to become a tweener is have him do nothing different but attack a heel instead of a babyface.
Speaker 5: Right right exactly? Well yeah, or or to not give a shit about either. One really is what it is. And in many ways that was like that was Austin too, you know, in around this period. You know, he was very much a tweener and people were getting behind him, but he wasn't a babyface for sure.
Speaker 14: And that's another way Sids in concentric circles with this whole rising moment is that he's kind of a tweener that's setting a bit of the table for the Steve Austin tweener in that he's he's kind of showing that the audience is out there that will cheer when somebody does something like hyper violent to a goodie two shoes babyface yep, and they'll go with them. And Steve, you know, when he comes out to wrestle Bret Hart on that same show, Survivors Series nineteen ninety six, he does have vocal crowd support, but it's not yet. That Garden telling Vince like, no, this is the babyface or this is the guy we care about hadn't quite reached that point, whereas it had with Sid earlier in the night, and I think indicated that there was, you know, a stronger It wasn't just contrarianism. It was like, no, this is where the bulk of your hardest core fans, your New York fans want the company to go in terms of like structuring who's featured and whose babies and who's heels. And that's a huge night for that reason more than anything else. When Sid wins the bet and gets that kind of a response for doing it, even though he, you know, brings Jose Lafario in storyline of course, to the brink of heart attack and hits him with a television camera and does dastardly things to get there. No one gives a fuck and who who's doing that? To massive superstardom within weeks Steve Austin yep, just absolutely losing his mind, swinging anything he can get his hands on at Brett Hart and getting cheered even stronger for it every time he does it. So it's it's really interesting to think about it that way. And then there side is straight up confirming like it was in Indianapolis, the city where Buried Alive took place, that he gets the word He said that when he went to the curtain there in the garden once and he realized the crowd was with him, that it was going to be him and not Invader, and there was going to be a switch of the plans there. Yeah, I don't think Sid remembers it all the way down to what city he was informed of the change in plans if there never was a plan in the first place.
Speaker 5: To build up Vader he does.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so what does he do? What does Sid do? He beat Sean at Survivors Series. And we've talked about it before and it's only appropriate here in the Sid tribute we talk about it again. First the sights and sounds from the garden that night.
Speaker 8: And Sid was an opportunity here to finish it.
Speaker 16: S just marry it, finish it, it said, hits it, HiT's over.
Speaker 10: We got a new champion.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it.
Speaker 19: Let's sing tell out Sid.
Speaker 6: I can't believe it.
Speaker 20: Son, don't say there's a new time w champion.
Speaker 4: But time I donna take care last.
Speaker 21: Don Michael's mother, n it miss Bettorn, this trainer, it's fully hood maybe having some serious medical problems here.
Speaker 4: Shun is trying to help. Well, could he be maybe more of a hindrances.
Speaker 8: And as you said, I certainly hope that that is.
Speaker 22: Heart damage. Talking barely Kay walk Josey's heart because they damage. Jade is broken.
Speaker 16: And in the ring.
Speaker 23: Stands the new World Wrestling Federation Champion, the man who now will face Wret the hitman.
Speaker 13: Heart that ghost said rules the World Wrestling Federation.
Speaker 24: On November than seventeenth, nineteen ninety six, and Ladies and Gentlemen Survivors series has been nothing short of extraordinary.
Speaker 4: We invite you to join us.
Speaker 8: On December fifteen, and Christmas might be coming early for Brent.
Speaker 4: They hit Man Heart who goes now one on one with the rating.
Speaker 8: World Wrestling Federation Champion Pacholl said.
Speaker 4: Who would have ever thought this would have happened?
Speaker 2: Anything? Anything could happen.
Speaker 4: In the World Rustling Federation, as said Remos and his victory. Sean Michael said earlier that he would.
Speaker 23: Do anything to retain the title and said proved he would do anything to.
Speaker 8: Tell you the World Wrestling Federation Champion Psycho said.
Speaker 1: He the Lapstan Wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy.
Speaker 25: It's the Lapsed Fan.
Speaker 1: He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio and JP Sorro.
Speaker 5: What a night. Yeah, and again if you would recollections of seeing that play out and hearing it again, Oh, I mean I was disappointed in the fans because, you know, here was a guy that I was like, He's supposed to be the hero, you know, and what are you doing? Why are you booing it?
Speaker 2: What did he do?
Speaker 5: Why are you so happy to understand that. Why are you so happy when he lost? Did you hear that?
Speaker 15: Right?
Speaker 17: Right?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 5: It's huge? And what do we talk about?
Speaker 15: Who?
Speaker 5: Who's making the noise? The men, the guys, the guys, the guys.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yep, screaming over that one teenager you can hear go no is the ref's about to slap three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's the thing too. It's like you got there is such a you know, it's it's it's younger, younger kids, Like I mean, I wasn't younger, I was fifteen, but you know, it's like these these much angrier, brutal guys are like they're overpowering.
Speaker 14: Yeah, they want to see goody two shoes squashed like a fucking grape. Yeah, it's not just they get indifferent to them and kind of jeer them a little bit, like Hogan. No, they want to see them get fucking murdered in that way exactly. And when the company gives it to them, they can't help but react in a guttural way. Even if the company gave it to him for reasons other than satisfying them, it's almost like they accidentally gave it to them in service of another agenda, which is to get the strap off Sewan heading into WrestleMania plans, or at least to get the strap off Seawan heading into the Royal Rumble and his native San Antonio at the Alamodome. Unbelievable. What a moment that was and what a show that was so consequential Servivras series ninety six not talked about.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Rockage celebrated nearly enough as it as it should be, for what it for, what it what it really signified.
Speaker 14: How wild We come back around to it here on on the eve of Saurvirora series season once again here this year, and and the references made there to the December pay per view where Brett, by virtue of beating Steve Austin earlier in the show, qualified to face the champion. And you were within your rights going into Survivor Series ninety six to kind of expect it to be Brett and Shawn again.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean, I don't think I even realized that it was. I don't think I even realized what that Brett was the going to be the top contendent challenger. You know, I don't think I even realized that at the time.
Speaker 14: I don't think they spent a lot of time ahead of the show emphasizing that, but I think in the body of the pay per view itself they decided to really lean in.
Speaker 5: So it was you know, I mean, I was just I was I was appalled. I was appalled and just shocked.
Speaker 14: And isn't it wild how you went from appalled to loving that same dynamic when it lit the fire under Steve Austin. Yes, your transformation was our generation. You know, we talk about the Attitude era as if like it was a generation after the one that we celebrate so much that really led to the record business. And the fans of the late nineties were the one. They were all us.
Speaker 5: We were just older.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's not different, same fans, same fans that remembered it as like a kid thing tanemount to a Saturday Morning cartoon, in the same category as Captain Planet almost yep. And now it's like we're in a different place. Culture is in a different place. We're looking for something a little edgier, and what do you know, wrestling is willing to give it to us. But it's the same people. It's the same group of fans. I mean, yes, there are new youngsters watching wrestling in the Attitude era that weren't alive or were you know, babies in ninety one, ninety two or ninety But man, it was people that were like, holy shit, this is what wrestling is now because they had something to compare it to. And when you're oh, exactly having that reaction to Sid beating Sean, that's coming from a place of having learned what wrestling is supposed to be in the late eighties and early nineties.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess I would say, you know, in a weird way, that is that might have been a much more significant moment in I fandom that I really give it credit for. Yeah, as we're talking about it, because after that, I definitely paid attention more to what the fans were saying, right and what people were reacting to.
Speaker 26: Right.
Speaker 14: The reaction wasn't a give and it wasn't like, oh, man, this happens, and of course people are cheering. I don't even need to note it because that's logical. That's a logical reaction. But when people start reacting illogically, you're right, you start to pay a lot more attention to how the people are receiving it because you realize that this audience isn't calibrated like you are, right, The truth is they're just ahead of you. They know where you're going to end up, right, you know, as as a maturing wrestling fan in that era. But it's a remarkable night Sid becoming WWF champion for the very first time there and you heard it at this Fiber series nineteen ninety six and here he is in a shooting interview on the whole dynamic of Sean Michael's getting boot is the babyface by virtue of that of that program in that match.
Speaker 15: Yeah, you see, there's a big difference, you know, when you get everything inded to you in which I never got to push. I would run into a situation I see the businesses is bring a guy in, you'll give them a chance.
Speaker 5: To get over.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 15: I came in right away my very first match as man event. I know, you know that was my argument. But give me time to you know, let me, you know, go six months you know, as a just killing people or whatever. You know, people like Dusty and only did with me. And that's how I got over, you know, And it was like it didn't it takes more than a week. It takes six months to a year. And I don't care who you are. I mean, I'm lucky I could draw money a little bit right away. But if I would get really the chance, and in my opinion, if I was the baby face and we had really built data up, I think we would do more business. And the company's ever seen in a long time.
Speaker 18: Was was management surprised about?
Speaker 5: However?
Speaker 7: You were in the garden, Oh I see.
Speaker 26: See.
Speaker 5: Some of the agents cried, I love that.
Speaker 15: My gosh, you know, you know they were so upset for shot, I guess, but it was pretty funny.
Speaker 18: It was like he was generally snapped at that point too, because he was going around the house shows and going off when he was getting booed, because it seemed like at that point he was more and more. Was there any resentment from him personally towards you. He never showed me to my face, you know.
Speaker 15: And you know, me and Sean I had pretty good relationships as far as I looked back at him. He's always courteous to me. I was was courtious to him, respected each other, He helped each other out. He was too tired to do a meet and great I did it for him. If I was too tired. He did it for me things like that, So, I uh, I know there was some kind of weird calls behind my back, but you know that that's always going to happen. And if you can't get that, then you shouldn't be in the business.
Speaker 5: What's kind of weird there? What hit your ear? Well, like it's someone doing meet and greets for Sean. It's like if he's too tired, It's like, well, if people are expecting you Shawn Michael's meet and greet, that ain't necessarily exciting when Sid shows, No, I mean it's better than nothing. But I get your point, and the same thing with the other way around, like you know, yeah, I don't know that's it's well, you know whatever.
Speaker 14: And you know what he means by too tired, right, what getting later drunk and high? Drunk and high, yes, of course, not getting to bed till five thirty in the morning. So because they're mature adults, Well, I think that's the takeaway. I think by the time we're done with this tribut, we're going to realize that the business is full of mature adults. I think that's going to I think it's gonn be the big surprise revelation of this whole thing. Right, yeah, I agree, But there he is talking about how you know, the six month thing and how captive a window. This is just of Sid getting the spotlight and giving us even a sense of like what could have been almost and you know, no blowback from Sean, like yeah, because sew knew the whole time, then he's going to get it back from you, right he's now of course he's not going to consider you a threat. You're just a nexus to get this big moment in the Almaldome. So yeah, of course you didn't catch the wrath because they never went with you. But if they decided to go with you past royal rumble, if they said Sean actually were going to put Sid over, Sid would have been a Sewn's biggest enemy.
Speaker 5: In the world. Oh absolutely, So.
Speaker 14: Again we have this captive period of time where it's where Sid is the man, he's the champion, and you can reasonably, you know, start to talk about him as like the most important person on the show. And in that vein the World Wrestling Federation produces an issue of what they used to call spotlight. Oh yeah, what can you tell the people about spotlight?
Speaker 5: Spotlight was a it was a I don't know what you'd call it, but it was not a a regular magazine. It wasn't a monthly magazine.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 5: It came out maybe a couple of times. It might have been quarterly or maybe, I don't know, I'm not sure how often. It seems sporadic, but yeah, it was basically they would use it to, I don't know, highlight somebody that probably needed highlighting.
Speaker 14: Right, Yeah, it was basically you know they're not dead, of course, but you know when someone dies, like Time magazine will come out with an issue that's about their life in Times, yeah, that'll sell because people are in the mood to learn about that person and you've taken their legacy. And when someone gets a massive push or wins the title, they would put a spotlight out to, you know, lead fans to think about the the arc of this person.
Speaker 5: And they even did Woe with Hogan for that matter. You know, they did them with Hogan in ninety three, right when he came back, they had they had a Spotlight issue right around the time, maybe a little bit after he had his first uh, his his return w magazine issue. Did you pick that one up? Oh, fuck you, I did excellent, absolutely no fucking whim missing that one.
Speaker 14: And so just the fact that they would do one said something on you. Yeah, yeah, it's not really you know, small beans. They do it about We're talking Warrior, Hogan Brett, Demolition, Jake Deebers. They did one in an L O. D. And Andre, they did some one of the Steiners and Diesel. You know, like, if you weren't it's very unlikely, if you weren't in contention for a belt in WWF, that they would think about doing a spotlight about you at the very least. And so the one on the one on Sid, if I'm not mistaken, is the last one they ever did.
Speaker 5: No kidding, I didn't know that.
Speaker 14: And it's a famous one because it's famous because it has that picture of Sid holding a globe in his hand of the world. Yes, yes, And that's a picture that's always circulated when it comes to like yeah, it's just a really colorful image and it's very evocative around like what Sid was and the character they wanted to portray him as. It's kind of like, you know, master of the World has got the world in his hands, but he's also got to look on his face like he's like he's having a perverse enjoyment holding the world in his hand, right.
Speaker 5: As you should. Really, if you are the master and rule of the world, you should have a perverse enjoyment of it with a.
Speaker 14: Really you know, uh, strange enthusiastic and wild expression on his face, very colorful look on his face.
Speaker 5: Oh sweet. Like we like characters, you know, big fan of characters, and you know, the larger than life individuality. So the fact they have characterization of characters, but we'll get into that, because the fact that they did one said something, but what they said in the pages of it meant even more. And this is from the pen of Vince Russo himself when he was writing for the magazine, still splitting his time between writing for the magazine and running for television before you know, the full throttle takeover of creative And so what we're gonna do is we're gonna march through it because this is really this is a document that tells us, I think the most about how WWF was thinking of sid in his place in the pantheon when they strapped him up. And so here we go through the pages of Spotlight, and I'll guide you here a little bit boss in terms of not every last thing that we're going to read, right, but there's that image on the cover. They're advertising the upcoming Royal Rumble and Vince Russo Boss has a word for readers right off the top letter from the editor, Well you should read that one.
Speaker 14: In the history of the World Wrestling Federation, there has never been a champion quite like Psycho Sid, with one of the most impressive physiques in the sport today or ever for that matter. The man from West Memphis, Arkansas finally exploded his potential at the nineteen ninety six Survivor Series when he defeated Shawn Michaels en route to becoming the World Wrestling Federation Champion. Up until that point in his career, bro critics always knew that Sid would be great, but the question most frequently asked was when Sid first entered the World Wrestling Federation in nineteen ninety one as a young man who was relatively new to the wrestling business. Bro later on, relatively Yeah, I guess three years experience, four years experience, then that counts as relatively new. Really, later on he would admit that he may have been just too green. Both mentally and emotionally to be able to cope with the big time. Immediately following WrestleMania eight, Sid disappeared from the Federation. This is interesting because they didn't talk a lot about his first run when.
Speaker 5: He came back. No, not at all.
Speaker 14: So this magazine is, you know, trying to do something that they didn't do on television, which is remind you that this guy had a prior incarnation, right right, and try to thread those two runs together from the Federation, only to return some three years later in February ninety five as the bodyguard of Shawn Michaels. Once again. After only a short stay, Sid left the Federation in early nineteen ninety six. Early nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess maybe he could have been January ninety six he left. I don't know.
Speaker 14: Yeah, he was off television, but yeah, I think I think that might be right. He may have done how shows until the beginning of ninety six. The third time, however, seemed to be a charm for the man now referred to as Psycho. After returning to the Federation in July, this time to team with the former enemy Shawn Michaels, a mature and season, Sid silenced all his critics by beating his ex boss at the Brawl Classic, thus becoming the champion they would now call Sid. As of press time, SID certainly does rule the world all caps, like he tweets today, all caps and how great this individual can be. He is yet to be determined, I can say that again, however predetermined. However, one thing remains certain. He is the master and the ruler of the world. Okay, So we start flipping through and they do a piece going back to Spring ninety one and the arrival of Sid, and we see him in the Zebra stripes at Summer Slam ninety one, and they're talking about Slaughter and Hogan. They talk about to Hogan when he's in WCW.
Speaker 5: They didn't do a lot of that now I remember in like ninety five ninety six they started really changing that and sharing talking talking about history and talking about people who were in WCW right and or at least weren't even working for them, right. So they take us from there and they go through the match Made in Hell at SummerSlam and the interference in the wedding and the feud with Jake, and then they go through of course the nineteen ninety two Royal Rumble and show picture of that with him facing off with the Hogan and auld they hear it. Let me see what they say here. They were things being a changer and the ciilmonated some of his most hated enemies, even liminated Hall Cogan, a man he considered a frema. Sid was aware of the Rumos' most basic tenants. There are no friends. That is an event in which every man fights for himself. I had the opportunities to get rid of Hogan, and that's what I did. I didn't care. I didn't care what any would hear, anybody else would say about it.
Speaker 14: You're calling me and that's a quote sort from the old magazine. That's all I'm talking now.
Speaker 5: And then he talks about Yeah, they don't okay, they don't really talk about I'm surprised. Usually usually around this time, if they were talking about Hogan, they'd take a little jab, like like he says he deserved what he got. Sid says of Hogan, Yeah kind of, no, I guess, I guess, but but it's still like they would they would say like that Hulk Hogan was a coward. By pulling Sid out from Ah, you know, like they would they would, they would, they would kind of they would always belittle Hogan a little bit.
Speaker 14: This's what you're looking for, and it was the beginning of the end of Hulk Hogan. The man has never been the same since Wreslomania eight kind of. But that's still not it Like, that's not hard to know.
Speaker 5: They would they would have, they would have made they would have brought to attention the fact that the fans cheered for Sid right and boot Hulk Hogan right in that that's what they would have That's what they would have done. But I mean, even but they do they kind of go in gear and they say, you know, downward spot on Hogan's career. Bloody, bloody blah.
Speaker 14: But and it describes the end of this run in this article as days after the event wrestleming he Ate, without warning or notice, Sid vanished from the World Wrestling Federation. Vanished, Yeah, and it says he went in he went into self imposed exile for the next three years until returning to the Federation early nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 5: Would he go on an island or something?
Speaker 14: Well during his hiatus ad reads many say that's when he transformed into a complete, albeit popular psycho, and then they go through a period of his life where he's the bodyguard of Seawann Michaels, and they recount all of that, and as we did last week, go through WrestleMania and show him in the vest and jeans backing up Sean Yep and that big promo and the big heel turn and all of that, and they flash forward from there to the interview with Keith Elliott Greenberg. And this is to get into Sid's head while gripping the Gold Eagle, the Winged Eagle WWF title belt. I'll be Keith, you b Sid. World Wrestling Federation Champion Shawn Michaels, reportedly at the peak of his career, had been dethroned by his former bodyguard Sid. Overnight. The perception of Sid changed drastically. No longer was the granite bodied brute, regarded as a hot headed ruffian constantly threatening to but never succeeding in capturing the gold. Now Psycho Sid was the undisputed king of the squared Circle, the holder of the most coveted title in the sport of kings, the man for Michaels and every other top contender in the Matt Wars to line up to challenge. As reporters clamored to question the new titleist, Sid took time out of his whirlwind schedule to grant one of his first interviews exclusively to this publication.
Speaker 5: Like you'd fucking do an interview for anybody else's publican.
Speaker 14: Right, like second or third right. A few days after winning the World Wresting Federation Championship, you disappeared. No one could find you. When we finally attracked you down, we discovered that you've been hunting with your old buddies from Arkansas.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: After all the pain and the sweat till to get back to the top, I wanted to remember who I am and where I come from. I've been hunting with these same friends since I was a little kid. When I'm with them, I'm not the World Wrestling Entertainment Champion or a guy whose picture appears out of magazine covers in places like Japan, in India and South Africa. I'm the same guy I've always known, and it's important for me to face the people who've known me all my life, through good times and bad, to bring me back to earth.
Speaker 14: It sounds like you were floating above the clouds until you got back to Arkansas.
Speaker 5: Let me put it this way, how many people experienced a thrill of winning the ww Championship. One in one hundred million, maybe fewer. Is something any kid who ever turned on a wrestling match on TV dreams about. But I was actually able to do it. It was a long, rough road with a lot of detours and a lot of agony. But when I got back to that locker room after running the title, I really felt like I was in heaven.
Speaker 14: It's funny that you'd feel that way since it was kind of a controversial victory.
Speaker 3: What was so controversially about it?
Speaker 14: Well, the way that you found Michael's weak spot and managed to achieve the victory.
Speaker 2: What do you mean.
Speaker 5: Managed to achieve the victory as if it was a fluke. You know, I trained for a long time for that moment. I devoted my life wrestling, and I earned that championship. You want to know how I beat Michaels.
Speaker 3: By driving that with the bomb, Bob, That's how.
Speaker 5: By being the better man.
Speaker 14: But you also attacked his manager, Jose Lafario. True, That's all you have to say.
Speaker 5: True. What else is there to say it was my fault. He decided to climb up on the ring apron in the middle match, But when I saw him on a ring apron, I made a choice to tour a negative into more positive instead of letting him distract me, I grabbed the camera out of the camera man's hand.
Speaker 3: And smashed Lathoria with it.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's not like I was hitting some poor, defenceless fan. Jose Lathario has one of the most knowledgeable minds in wrestling. He knew when he was climbing up that ring apron that he was putting himself in danger, but he did it anyway, and he paid the price.
Speaker 14: Then you hit Michael's with the camera as well before giving him a power bomb in scoring the pen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not ashamed of that. Look at Michaels. Are you telling me that Sean wouldn't have done the same thing to me if he thought it'd throw off my game plan? You know he would. Now, I don't hate Sean Michaels. I don't hat Jose Lathario, but you don't get to the top of the world as he hit a dam it by loving your coworker. There's your coworkers gonna step over your body to grab the big prize, so you get to the top, but out thinking the other guy, which I did when I shifted Michael's mind to the Thario instead of the match, then blasted him with everything you got.
Speaker 14: Apparently the fans at Madison Square Garden appreciated your strategy, as I recall, they were jumping all over you after you won the belt. They didn't seem to have a problem with your actions at all. Now, come on, weren't you a little surprised about that?
Speaker 5: A massive square garden from New Yorkers? You gotta be kidding me.
Speaker 3: You ever been in New York? It's getting on the subways a fight to the death.
Speaker 5: Well during rush hour. He's not wrong if you got to elbows some Moosella Thario got out of the way just to get a seat. It's nothing personal, just the way it is. That's a lot of the fans were cheering for me. They know that I'm not some kind of demon. I'm just a regular guy, kind of like them in an Arkansas way who saw an opportunity.
Speaker 26: And took it.
Speaker 14: Michaels doesn't see it that way. He says, you attacked an old man and that getting back at you is almost as important to him as getting back the title.
Speaker 3: It doesn't right now what show Michael sticks does it?
Speaker 5: He seems to forget that, Uh, he's not a champion anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm a champion.
Speaker 5: He's the one who has to come to me if he wants a shot of the gold, and I'm the one who says the conditions, not him.
Speaker 14: Do you ever worry that under regular wrestling conditions, with no cameras to grab and no managers, Michaels would beat you.
Speaker 5: If I worried about that, I'd be in the wrong business. It's nice to imagine what the world singenterteam will be like if everyone stayed on the map, exchanging fireman's carries, hammer locks, leg grapevines. But we don't live in that kind of world. When Sid wrestles, he uses the whole arena as a weapon, the ring, steps, the guardrail, the cameras, stannuncer's table, So Seawn Michaels. So it's the undertaker, so does Brett Hart. Now I've heard people say that the world of sing entertainment is a place without rules, but I disagree with that. Today the world was sing entertainment is a place operated under Sid's rules. That's why I want the belt, and that's well, I'll be champion as long as I want to be amazing. By the way, he looks like an absolute bitch. Where that fucking painters idiot baseball cap the painter's cap he used to wear for some reason though, Oh, he's such a fucking I don't know what the deal was with that thing, but he would wear it backwards like a little boy all the time, all the time. It's not softball season all the time, you know, fucking moron.
Speaker 14: They want to give us a wider sense of the man. And after the article is about you know, beating on Sean and winning its arrivs. Series, we go to page twenty four to twenty six of the file here and the article is entitled when He's Sane Psycho. Sid is a man of contradictions.
Speaker 5: Uh oh.
Speaker 14: In the ring, he is fearless and utterly ruthless. He never takes a backwards step, and he's always on the offensive, splattering opponents like Vader and gold Dust with alarming ease. During interviews, sid sinister look and vocal outbursts have been enough to dissuade most athletes from wrestling him. Yet beyond the glitter and the glitz of the World Wrestling Federation, Psycho Sit is a man of reserve, a man of patients, and a man who has a fond appreciation and respect for nature and game.
Speaker 21: A man.
Speaker 14: I've been waiting to find out what he measured in game management Fridays to say, ducks.
Speaker 2: Game.
Speaker 14: So Boss take it from here. Sid, I guess, is a much different person off the mat, is he not?
Speaker 5: Sid is a much different person off the mat. In fact, this magazine has learned that the Quote Monster from West Memphis is an avid hunter who uses the sport as therapy to help him Quote relax. The wild gives me a chance to reflect on my career and other choices I've made in my life.
Speaker 14: Also an avid hunter Stephanie's husband.
Speaker 5: On that note, Sid isn't any different from other professional athletes scores of NFL and NBA superstars. Superstars, by the way, not players or athletes. Superstars as well as professional baseball players enjoy hunting and f like said, they enjoy the challenge of the hunt and the peacefulness of being at one with the land and the animals that live upon it. Each year said, does what every deer hunter must do. He pays for and obtains permits to harvest deer pays for and obtains permits. You heard it here. First he obtains permits to harvest, not to hunt. Harvest, because are they growing deer to be harvested? Is that what's going on?
Speaker 14: I suppose, yeah, that he's seeing to it that deer's you know, procreate so that he can kill them. All right, Well, there we go, they're harvesting and procreating deer. He realizes that his payments for permits, licenses, and ammunition help maintain state designated hunting habitats.
Speaker 5: Oh good, well, I'm glad. He realizes that in the United States, all the money I pay for deer tags and hunting licenses is funneled back into the game management system.
Speaker 14: Also involved in the game management system Stephanie, who says.
Speaker 5: The calendar in the in the the Helmsley House. This secures hunters safe every areas in which to hunt, and also maintains ecosystems. You know, the balance of the herds in the woods.
Speaker 14: The jim herds in the woods, said the jim hers in the The first time he's tried to hunt a herd.
Speaker 5: O deer herds have skyrocket in the last decade. He says, there are millions of deer in the United States and their numbers are always increasing. I'm going to say about it. I'm gonna say it doesn't seem like it actually, if it weren't for concerned hunters, like said, those numbers could pose a problem to people.
Speaker 14: Oh thank god, he's killing these animals, especial what we do. He wasn't fucking killing these animals all the time, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, we'd all be in deep trouble.
Speaker 14: Come on, dear, I really kind of thought like it was gonna say, you know, there are millions of deer in the United States and their days are numbered.
Speaker 5: That's what he should say.
Speaker 3: I'm hutting you down.
Speaker 14: Just the guy you want to see trapesing through the woods and fatigues. Jesus, Now I know where they got the very windom gimmick from.
Speaker 5: Imagine you see Sid It's like, you know, just also I picture mounting with you know, like he's wearing fatigue, Like he's wearing like those kinds of cargo pants. You know, he's were you know, uh a camo uh cargo pants and a camo vest, no shirt, all right, and a white baseball hat.
Speaker 14: Oh my god, all right, that's the whole Cogan movie. What movie is it where he's got the camo vest and like the fake hair? Is that a secret agent club?
Speaker 5: One of those? Oh yeah, it was one of those. You see a picture here in the magazine. No you no, no, no, no, no no no no, it wasn't that. It was the ultimate weapon, Ultimate weapon? Sure, ultimate weapon. So are they called Rick Wilson? They should have called them.
Speaker 3: I'm proud of you, dear. You can'todd from Sid.
Speaker 5: God, I thought you were reading the article again. I'm like trying to Did you say that? Did I lose my place? That would be amazing. So the if it weren't for concerted hunters like Sid, those numbers could pose a problem to people, especially farmers who depend on their crops for a livelihood. Too many deer in one area means too many hungry deer. Too many hungry deer means the animals will wander deeper into populated areas in order to eat and survive. Another reason Sid likes to likes deer hunting is because the sport unites families, and it also destroys exactly. It depends what you mean. During the rare occasions away from the ring in the deer season, Sid often takes his twelve year old son, Frank, I'm gonna teach you how to deliver Vienna's. Frank, We're gonna hunt deer venison. You got that. This is where it comes from. We got Vienna venison, sausages, hot dogs, canned Vienna medallions. These are these are the Vienna medallions. Right. Don't want you to aim. I want you to shoot that deer, Frank, I said, put your gun, put your gun on your shoulder. You aim, and you kill that deer.
Speaker 3: Fank, Dude, I said, kill the deer.
Speaker 5: It's gone. Now look what.
Speaker 3: Happened right away? Because you're stupid.
Speaker 5: Because you're stupid ass. Are you sure that's why you run away?
Speaker 15: Dad?
Speaker 3: Hey, right away? Because you're stupid.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Frank just a fucking twelve year old kid, just like trying to, you know, please his dad, Daddy. He doesn't talk like that. He ran away because you're stupid, Naddy. Why are you yelling at me, daddy?
Speaker 3: Because you're stupid, Frank.
Speaker 6: You let him get.
Speaker 5: Away, Daddy, and you're ruining everything. Now I'm gonna go up to Zuzu and see her room.
Speaker 2: What do you say?
Speaker 5: Now, I'm gonna go up and check on Zusa.
Speaker 3: And Susan's sick.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna fucking check your because you're a fucking sellure.
Speaker 5: Frank Christer was one of the kids. Frank, No, so it's so drafting in this house.
Speaker 3: It's so fucking class in this house.
Speaker 5: That's it as George Bailey. Too bad we didn't attribute this guy before we did that one.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I would have named George Bailey Heasley out a boy, Clarence.
Speaker 5: Clarence is like said, I'm managing the heels.
Speaker 3: Oh Jesus, allright.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 5: This is a great year old hunter picture to the right with his dad and younger brother, Gunnar. Gunner along Gunnar. That's a nice spelled gunner. It's Gunnar along with him. In fact, Frank is an accomplished marksman. Skip skip skip here two years ago, Frank would sit it a side bagged an eight point buck. Oh yeah, and I got my attention.
Speaker 17: Son.
Speaker 5: There's just pictures of fucking deer heads in the wall, which I just you know, I've never understood that the taxidermy. Yeah, I just don't understand, Like, I don't want animals heads up there looking at me. I don't get it.
Speaker 14: So I know it's not even like an animal rights thing. It's like it's creepy as fuck.
Speaker 5: Right, I I listen, I get it. You know that's the way some people are. They want to hunt. Fine, it's really it's just it's that, I that what the fuck's looking at you?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: Those eyes are I don't need that. I don't need that ship. It looks like a Christmas display in the lawn. Really, I know, it looks like animatronic reindeer. Creepy, creepy as fuck. Two years ago, Frank with the other eight point fick. It was the youngster's first registered deal deer kill, and it made both father and son extremely extremely proud. Frank Baggs first deer while he was in the sixth grade. Three years ago. It says he's twelve, right, I know you're gonna do that. That doesn't make any sense. He's twelve. He should be in the sixth grade. Awesome, right, that's you turn ten. Maybe he is fourth grade you turn eleven in the Uh, yeah, he should be in the sixth grade, maybe seventh grade, I suppose, But maybe he was on accelerated learning because he's just so brilliant. Maybe maybe maybe that's maybe that's why he can't fucking h he can't deliver Vienna's and he's so fucking smart.
Speaker 14: Don't you know that when kids are on track to Star and brother one year that they shoot him up four or five grades.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm sure. I'm sure he shoot him up a whole different kind of ways. He shoot him rigs and fucking needles and shit, just rigs. What about bagwell? What wow? Will you getting it? Will you do him? Sid there's no bagwell, there's no time to.
Speaker 14: Bagwell, right, and that's ladies and gentlemen. While he got fired from the grocery store.
Speaker 7: Ah.
Speaker 5: Indeed, I have heard that he used twelve gage shotguns and bagged the bucket the Panther Creek game refuge in Mississippi.
Speaker 14: I want to short change the kid twenty gauge shotgun T ten, sorry to double the gauge double gate brother, if only double gate. Panther Creek is one of the most prestigious state owned hunting preserves in the United States. The refuse, what do I feel like we just talked about we talked about something on cinemat with turkey turkey hunting?
Speaker 5: Did we did?
Speaker 27: We?
Speaker 5: Yeah? We did. There was some article because it had the guy the same name about It had very little to do with the actual movie, but the the guy who was in charge of the same name as somebody we were I was doing a profile on. But it turned out to not be the same guy. But the story was just so fucking funny that I had to read it. And it was involving Panther Creek. No, it wasn't Panther Creek, but it was about some kind of like organized turkey hunting. To bring that one back to Thanksgiving, yeah exactly. I'll have to find that that piece. I can here in Black Bear, as well as a variety of water fowls such as canvas back ducks. Teals, Wait, canvas back bumps? Brother, what canvas back ducks? Haven't heard of that? Canvas camas? What we mean do?
Speaker 1: It's the Laps Wrestling Podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio.
Speaker 5: And Japiso ask your question, boss, real quick, Yeah, pumpkin seeds yet soon this week? Checking this sweet checking. I didn't want to miss the opportunity. Get it. No, no, no, it's it's gonna happen. Listen, listen, I'll tell you what You'll know for sure because I'll be snacking the fuck on this. As we talked about turkey, you know, I had to had now we get because we got to carve the jack lane in his first and then pumpkin seeds. I made my cinnamon sugar ones. Those were oh lovely. You know we have I'm actually might try a batch of that because we have it. Man, so simple, we have so many. We actually have a ton of just by chance. My parents came down and brought small pumpkins as well. Despite the ones that we bought that I got for my family, we actually have a huge amount. So actually there's this is a good year to to mix it up a little bit elt butter. Well, let them drive elt butter in a bowl, ye, and put them in cinnamon sugar on top, mix them up, bake them. We'll give us shop business.
Speaker 14: I'll give it Thanksgiving sandwich come as well. I take it as Oh yes, I see turkey's wandering the neighborhood, and I'm saying, guys, your days are numbered.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you're gonna get in my belly on the day after. I'm thanksgiving him the day after. More importantly, so that's where the danger happened.
Speaker 14: You can only read this much about hunting this close to game season, foul season without reminding folks that Dosa, those sweet smells and flavors right around the corner as well. Oh it's it's so necessary for Christmas this year. Yeah, it's the plan. There's the plan.
Speaker 5: I'm planning numbers, showing it up pretty hard. Please continue, all right. Canvas back ducks, teals, and Canadian geese, not to mention other game birds such as pheasant, bob, white, quail, and partridge. Said tells this magazine that deer hunting almost caused him serious injury, not by his or someone else's gun, but by a buck itself and buck, damn bucky, by a damn buck itself. I was hunting during the rut, the period when dominant bucks compete for their foe. They're doe the female of the species, Sid says, when a big deal charged with me. Now I'm an't afraid of any man in the ring. I'll take on vader or mankind any day of the week. But this was unreal. I froze for a second as the buck came at me. The sun was going down, so I couldn't really see him well coming through the brush. When he got about ten feet away from me, that's when I decided to harvest it. Oh, harvest is another word for kill. I see, I get well. I mean, I guess it's still fucking weird. It's weird to me. I don't know because to me, again, the idea of harvesting and you know, listen, I'm not a hunter, so I don't fucking know shit. So anyone who's a hunter can can definitely tell me that I'm an idiot for saying this. But to me, harvesting is you row something and then you harvest it. Right, They're not again, they're not growing deer.
Speaker 14: Harvest is when you turn something you brought into existence into.
Speaker 5: Food, right exactly.
Speaker 14: Let me ask you a question, growing, does this article qualified deer hunter?
Speaker 15: That?
Speaker 5: Okay, just checking, Although I forget I think we had this conversation before. I don't think deer hunter yet qualified. I think I think it's or was there something that's a great move. It's a great movie. But it's a great movie. Huh, it's a great movie.
Speaker 3: It is it is.
Speaker 5: It'd be great to be able to have that on the list.
Speaker 14: Uh So, I mean, can we call sids run the rut because he's also competing for dough.
Speaker 5: I mean, wrestlers are always competing for you.
Speaker 14: It's not a run terry, it's a rut broiler. He doesn't like that at all, exactly. Low this the fuck down?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that he's nervous.
Speaker 14: Now when they we're talking about you know, canvas back ducks, teals and Canadian geese, I'm thinking, yes, any of other any other of Cody's siblings in there besides this teal. I don't know why only she got the invite.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what happens the uh when he got ten ft away, that's when I heard. Really, I didn't have a choice. It was either shoot or climb up a tree. Yeah, I know it's what he's doing. Yeah, God, he climbed up the tree. He's gonna he's gonna fucking break his leg in half. Sid leveled his gun with steady hands and calm breathing. He pulled the trigger. It was an excellent shot. Sid says. The animal crashed to the ground and a thud. When he retrieved the animal, he saw just what a prize he had. It was a ten point winner and huge. When I dressed him out, that's cleaning the animals, enterds and some bones. It weighed three hundred ninety pounds. That's more than our way, said, says he bagged this beauty at Little Twisted Game Reserve in northern Mississippi. The owner of the private land hunting retreat, Howard Brent, told Sid that the buck was one of the biggest ever harvested there in the last five years.
Speaker 14: God said, that's got to be one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen hunted.
Speaker 5: Oh God, now, hey see it. I just took to tell you, man, Wow. Now I've seen people harvesting bucks all you know, for for decades. That has got to be the biggest damn buck I've ever seen harvest.
Speaker 14: I mean, Howard, I'm counting this thing. I mean, I don't think we've got a big enough table. I mean, I've seen some bucks laid down on our table before, but this is on a whole other level.
Speaker 5: Man. I don't. I'll tell you said. You said, you can't bring that here. You can't. No, you're gotta bring that someplace else.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 5: I don't want to tell you. I can't. I don't have space for it. What do you mean you have the space for it? I don't have. Look, I don't listen. I can tell you right now that that is going to be a stray buck. I don't. I don't grow bucks that big. Now, we we do, we do, we do medium size, not this fucking big ass ship. What do you want me to do with that? I want you to do what you gotta do to clean the sun of bits exactly. I said I don't have the space for it, and you know what said I don't want the space either. But this is horrifying. Oh my god. I said, you're you're killing You're killing deer on my land. That's the whole idea. How you told me that's what you have here. You said that that is what's going on here, that this is land specifically designed and registered for harvesting animal. Uh, well, well, take a look at this beauty. I mean, that's what I call a trophy. This one's a king in the Woods said, I mean, I must have taken a lot of patience to get him. Been watching him for seasons, said said, we don't have We don't kill animals here, we harvest them.
Speaker 10: Mhm.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you a question. What does that mean when you put a bliss fucking meme? Said, we don't we don't murder. We don't murder animal life here. This is a place of nature, is a place of God. No, look, let me speaking of witch. Wait, let me ask you a question. Wait, when you shot this thing, did it do like three or four summersaults? I'd say, yes, it did, And my god, I'd say, we got a young buck right here, said just let me ask them here after you shot it, did you notice it kind of engage in a in a in a in a party of super kicks with a lace three about kicking people in the face? This was wow, said you're under a rest for killing a young buck. Matter, Nick, how long you been? How long have you been tracking him? Said I've been tracking him in my mind for five years?
Speaker 14: Smart old buck too, wasn't he who ever trick in the book to keep out of sight? From what I can tell, how did patients pay off in the end.
Speaker 16: See it.
Speaker 5: I don't have patience. I get it done, just like you.
Speaker 3: Got Howard Brent.
Speaker 5: This one's gonna make a great story. That didn't even better Mount.
Speaker 3: Harding the mount your head, hold my fucking wall.
Speaker 14: He's trying his best to sound happy for Sid, so he doesn't go down this road, but he knows he's going to. He knows he's start threatening him. There's gonna be something that dissatisfies Sid, and at that point all bets are.
Speaker 5: Off, said listen, I said, I didn't mean a fan, all right, I did not mean a fan. Let's can we let bygones be bygones? Please?
Speaker 3: Shut You don't determine bygones, you bitch.
Speaker 5: There's the quote, you don't determine bygones, you bitch.
Speaker 14: That's awesome. I cherished that one more than anything said has said this whole series. You don't determine bygones. That think of the utility that that phrase has across everything. You don't determined by like exactly like okay, I'll let bygones be bygones, but you don't decide what's meant by bygones?
Speaker 5: Power I did.
Speaker 3: It's right, you don't determine so.
Speaker 14: Long as I decide what bygones are, yes, I am very willing to let bygones be bygones.
Speaker 5: Oh Man, Little twists, it ads, Little twists it Ads is one of the premier locations for waterfowl hunting. Ducks and geese are migratory birds protected under the United States Federal law. Little Twist Game Reserve is located in the migratory flyways for these birds, and it isn't uncommon to see thousands fly overhead at any given time. When deer season ends, you can find Sid and his son and their duck blinds waiting for their choice game to fly into range. Just sit is just everywhere with an arsenal of weapons.
Speaker 14: Just make sure when they fly into range that you catch them so they don't break their ankle on the descent to the floor.
Speaker 5: Like every ethical hunter, Sid values the role of conservation at conservation officer and conservation of what exactly. Officers and biologists are these sportsmen's best friends. The rules and regulations of hunting aren't determined by conservation officers and biologists. They're the guys who conduct studies on the animals and figure out how certain populations of certain species are overpopulated. Is also great to be in the woods and I see all the animals I can't hunt, such as owls, eagles, and songbirds. That's being at one with nature. That's what hunting is really about. I love the idea that they have this. You know, you know, God forbid that there come a time where some some being higher on the food chaine of sides. You know what I want to tell you, Some of these humans are overpopulating in the earth. I think we're gonna kind of make some reservations where we can hunt them, kind of tone things down a little bit. How we feel about that? Out of hand? It really is all these humans getting out of hand. Got to fucking cut them down.
Speaker 14: I think the owls and eagles and songbirds have gotten the memo that they're not going to be hunted. Do you think they kind of just like flaunted.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm sure that they do. I'm sure that they're completely aware.
Speaker 14: Oh my god, Like how foolish he looks with that big bass he cut. He looks like such an idy teenager. That's what he wants to do, man, he's a country boy. He wants to go home, tend the farm and hunt and softball. It does not take a lot to get his mind to turn to all right, how do I find a way to do an Irish exit here and disappear without anyone even noticing I was leaving?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 14: That's always the way, And I'd like for Sid, you know, David Letterman style here Top ten Psycho Sid's Hunter's tips for safety.
Speaker 5: They do them in order here or go backwards. I guess they're in no particular order, so I don't know. Always hunt with your parents or relatives who've been in the woods a lot. What if I want to hunt and I have no parents, relatives I've ever hunted before. I think what he's saying is, then you can't hunt. I guess. Number two. Always keep your gun on safety even when you're shooting at bucks. Three, Never run with a gun, even with a safety mechanism activated. Number four, Be sure what you're shooting at and what's beyond your target. Five When in doubt, don't shoot brother? Yo, Yo, Sid? What's up? Brother? WHOA? I just want to you know, Si his brother? What's going on?
Speaker 6: Dude?
Speaker 5: Big says dude. We graduate you on winning the strip. Brother. That's really awesome, Bro, I saw it. I was watching, you know, brother, I was watching the Survivor series.
Speaker 17: Dude.
Speaker 5: You guys you know you did. You did really fucking great in the gizzard and day we're giving you guys a run for your money over here.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 5: But I tell you what, when I saw them strap you up, brother, I thought, oh, man, we got some real strong counter winds coming in. Brother. Like, I was like, oh ship, you know we got You know, I've always said, you look, you can make a bunch of little mistakes too, but you can only make a few big ones, brother, And I think we made a big mistake by allowing them to put the strap on YouTube. I'm telling you what.
Speaker 16: Brother.
Speaker 14: So I'm at the grocery store, dude, and I see this this WWF magazine, the Spotlight gimmick on the on the newsstands. Brother, and I opened it up, and I'm fumbing, dude. You know, I just want to you know, I just I just you know, my monster to get in a little. I was like, wow, dude, this guy is very well spoken. You know, nice little stories there about Sid kind of getting some of that background.
Speaker 5: Dude. I'm wandering, dude, you know you kind of lossen this especially intrigued Browner, by those by those you know your your safety tips are hunting in big fan, And I just want to say, you know, number five dude really kind of caught my attention, and I was wondering if you could kind of elaborate on that. Dude he said, he said, when in doubt, don't shoot? What do you mean by that?
Speaker 6: Brother?
Speaker 14: I love how long it takes him to get to the question. The preamble is like it's too much. He thinks he can couches his paranoia.
Speaker 5: He thinks he can. Yeah, yeah, he thinks you won't notice, right exactly exactly. I mean, you don't shoot? Like where you're thinking about shooting?
Speaker 11: Like?
Speaker 5: Is who you like?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 5: Are you like in a shoot? Dude?
Speaker 15: Are you like?
Speaker 5: Well? Brother? You know this has gone from work to a shoot? Like, what's you know? Where are you at with that? Brother? What's your what's your you know? Dude, Like, what's your what's your kind of mentality on that?
Speaker 28: Dude?
Speaker 5: It's your angle? I mean, you're the big dog over there now, brother. You know we're battling company company. Listen, Dude, I want to tell you something. You know, I've been the big dog over there, brother, I've been a big dog on that big company up north. I kind of I get what you're talking about, dude, Like you got people kind of coming for you at all angles. Brother, I just want to I want to ask you you put that in there, dude? Are you saying that? Like, are you advising people like not to shoot on me? I mean I read number four, brother, and I was like, that could have RAMI vacation for Hull Hogan as well. You know what You're Yeah, dude, I was like, I'm reading the whole thing, and I'm like, you know, be sure what you're shooting at and what's beyond your target? Dude. And I'm like, well, wait, wait a minute. You know he is he's like got the championship brothers Now, he's he's gonna go after whole Coogan. Am I beyond the target?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 5: Am I? Beyond the target?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 17: Am I?
Speaker 5: Am? I? What's what's next? Dude? Like, I'm just trying to get listen. I'm not trying to I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, dude. I just want to get all our ducks in a row, all right, brother. So, So I just want to you know, like what I just got. I just want to I guess here, here's my question, Dude, are you coming for my tour? You don't study?
Speaker 14: Because last time our paths cross? Brother, All of a sudden, I'm looking I'm looking up from the floor at Almondy in New York, and and I gotta wonder if the rugs being pulled out from under me.
Speaker 5: Dude, not I read this, I'm saying myself. You know, is this where they're pulling the trigger on on hul Cogan too? Yeah? I'm just you know, I'm over here happy for you. Are everything's done? You've been talking to Bishoff dude, right like? Are you are you going to be Hollywood Hogan too?
Speaker 16: Like?
Speaker 5: Are you gonna be Hollywood sit or something?
Speaker 29: Brother?
Speaker 14: To talk to Eric before putting this top ten list together? Brother, I mean, it's just like a shot at hold Hoagan.
Speaker 5: Was just you know, be all you know, d you don't don't feel obtimated to, like, you know, tell me something that you don't feel comfort to telling me. But I'm just curious, dude, was it Eric's idea to put this top ten list in there in the Spotlight magazine? Dude? Was it Erics? Did Eric say we want to bring you over be Hull COVID right and do it? Eric, say that you're the third guy and you're already been the third guy. Brother, And does he want like a big, you know, double truck spread on how good you are at shooting? Brother as send a message? I mean, is he kind of get an idea of like how will you?
Speaker 15: Like?
Speaker 5: I just got to know, dude, what's your angle? Right?
Speaker 14: I'm reading this You're so happy for your brother. I'm reading all this great coverage, all these cool photos of all the things we were working together that's in there. That was great to see, brother, And then I get to this article about how good of a shooter you are and I'm like whoa.
Speaker 5: Like whoa? I'm like, dude, I don't know about to said dude, Like who do I put my trust in?
Speaker 14: Just earlier in the same magazine, Brother, you're talking about how I was never the same after we met at Russell Lani, your brother, and I get that this you know the wiz erk, right, it's a wiz erk, But I don't know. I get to this article and I got to wonder, like is this subliminal?
Speaker 5: Brother, Like, like are you I mean, I basically what I'm trying to say is, are you like, is this like subliminal messaging? Dude? Are you warning me? Brother? Are you saying hey, you know hall because time to look out, dudecause I'm coming for your ass. I'm right now You're gonna roll me up right exactly? Answer the question, Go ahead, answer it. I'm also a little concert you haven't re applied to anything I said. He's kind of standing there with a blank stare where you're your your white baseball at Dude, I'm just starting to get an idea of where we're at, you know, in terms of I mean you.
Speaker 14: Understand right said, you can't blame me for for having to like, you know, cross this this dot this iron crosses t brother. I mean, if this article came out, I want to.
Speaker 5: Say you it's nothing personally gets you, dude on emphasize came out. I just got to know, brother, are you trying to take me down? Exactly? Brother? I mean, if w W magazine came out with an article about how I like to shoot and how I went in doubt, don't shoot, brother, I mean, you would be within your rights as the champion in New York to call me. I would expect you to feel the need to call me and say, hey, you know, you know Hawk, what's going on to you? You're shooting on me? Shooting I said, no, dude, I'm not shooting on you. Brother, I'm not a magazine piece. I have nothing to do with that.
Speaker 14: And that's what I would say to you. Brother, full of much them but love, dude. Yet I'm not getting that from you yet.
Speaker 16: Brother.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm kind of feeling like you're you're hesitating game, like we're not really on the same page with this, brother, And I just want to know what your intention is, dude, Like how far do you how far are you going with this shooting thing? Like what's the end game?
Speaker 26: Brother?
Speaker 14: He doesn't take the hint and said his nut said a word. He just keeps filling the silence with more questions.
Speaker 16: Like.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna look if it, If it's good, it's gonna keep you from from like coming at me. Dude, We'll give you the dose. Still be about white now, brother? All right?
Speaker 14: I mean I'm sitting here and I'm reading about how you had this three hundred and three pounds buck charging at you and that you shot on it. You shot on him, dude, am I not supposed to read? Are you? Am I a buck in your shot? Is this literal, brother, or is this allegory? Like I just I'm trying to figure out what the metaphor is here, dude, because I don't just think this article appeared drop out of the sky. Brother is a human interest piece. You don't bullshit a bullshit her brother, You don't work a worker.
Speaker 5: I just got no dude, what's the dis mhm?
Speaker 14: I mean you're silent to speaking volumes. Dude, I gotta tell you, brother, you're not making me feel any better about the gimmick.
Speaker 16: I what.
Speaker 5: Mh the fact that I said what you didn't respond? I'm and I can still see her on the line. We didn't get disconnected. I can hear. I can hear your breathing. Brother, I ever heard said, let me ask you this brother, your court in this call? What a sharp detour? What he's worried about? And then there's a click, h are you.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm?
Speaker 17: You sent my church a case of being sausages and I send him an autograph picture.
Speaker 5: I didn't get a picture.
Speaker 17: Brother said, listen, my church, it's a case of the and a sausage and I send him an autograph picture.
Speaker 5: What else is on the top ten list? Yeah? At number six, respect and clean the land on which you hunt. Number seven, always retrieve any game you shoot. Number eight. Respect others in the woods, such as hikers and others. It's for them to Number nine never harvests more than a legal limit. Number ten, learn how to cook game. It tastes great, and his lone fat and his family fun well, fucking psycho literally.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that actually makes me more scared of him than anything they ever did on television.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 14: And finally we go to his peers. These are others around the federation, ask to weigh in on what makes Sid sid? First up, crush three words? Make Sid a great champion, bred a strong, impressive, and psychotic. But he will only have the title until I get to him. Okay, Brian Adams, Okay, okay, first champion in w FI history to have a nose ring running into his ear, and then we will see just how strong his heart is. How about the goon? What does the goon have to say?
Speaker 5: Psycho?
Speaker 14: Sid will go a heck of a long way. And there weren't Wrestling Federation farther than that, sissy boy. We had as a champion before him. But hey, I wouldn't mind whacking that paranoid brain of his back in place with my hockey stick if given the chance. Savio, Sid is a great chump because the men try like a machine every day. Im Eagle, He's had the hunger inside of him for a long time and it's going to be hard to get that belt away from him. Shabbia Bubble, jjse James. I don't think Sid is going to go very far as a champion. It was a fluke that he beat someone with the caliber Shawn Michaels in the first place. Billy Gunn. He's got the.
Speaker 5: Size and the skill, but does he truly have the talent that I have without a doubt? No why.
Speaker 14: I don't care what these other idiots think, But once Sid stops running and gives me a match, he is as good as roped cattle in my book. Jake Roberts Boss.
Speaker 5: I was surprised Sid won the belt, not down his skills, but I was amazed he could actually beat Sean. As far as whether he will be a great champion, it just depends on who you match up with. Who you match him up with. A champion is only as good as the many faces.
Speaker 14: If Cassidy, only any living man can beat said in the long run, except me, Without a doubt, it won't be long before I boogy all over his thick skull and shine at that nice piece of gold to mount on the dashboard of the rockermobile. Don't digressed, No, really, you could care less if Sid is a great champion or not. If I got a shot against me Da, I'm sure won't be holding on that belt very low on Hurst Helmsley as far as I'm concerned. As far as I'm concerned, Sid go lucky.
Speaker 5: I can't even do his fucking his his idiotic voice. He's like in ninety six.
Speaker 14: We would like did a Hampshire accent, still kind of creeping in just.
Speaker 5: A little bit, and his voice is like so like it's just very weird. It's very weird. It is. It doesn't have the base in it yet. Yeah. At the Survivor series against Sean Michaels, I don't see him being a champion very long due to his mental instability. The man should have remained locked up in that sell of his far away from civil human beings like myself, Mark Merrow, you know the very first time I saw said, I said to myself, this guy is going to be a champion somewhere down the road. I guess I'm not too surprised that he beats Sean. But Sid's worst enemy in the long run will be himself. Don't get me wrong, though, He's the man to beat now jb Al Sid is one of the greatest athletic talents our sport has ever seen. In the past decade, Sean was great as a champion. When you look at Sid, you see a man who is almost seven feet tall and more than three hundred pounds.
Speaker 14: Yes, you do, that's true. I've heard that that is a major force to reckon with. Boy, we heard from mankind, he says. Psycho said, can go straight to some place he belongs. Okay, you see, Uncle Paul has alerted me to look into Sid's eyes, and do.
Speaker 5: You know what I see? Fear? That shows me that he's not that crazy. After all, He's got the most common sense to fear mankind as well. He should.
Speaker 14: Flash Funk says that I was smoking big fucking hash and that Sid will go a long way as World Wrestling Federation champion because he is a big man with big skills, just like a lot of people say, the man is psycho and that's a tough thing to deal with in the ring. You never know what that boy is going to do to hold on to that belt. Garry Lawler says, I'm sure all the inmates back at the Looney Band we're proud of that stupid head case. He's got the physical skills, but he obviously needs a check up from the neck up.
Speaker 5: I'm at Johnson, that's awful.
Speaker 14: I'm at Johnson thinks Sid winning the title was something that was long overdue and that he's gonna go a long way because I really can't see anyone stepping up to the plate to beat him except me when I get the chance. And we hear from Bart Gunn okay, we've been waiting for. Sid's got quite a powerful man in my book, partner. He's big, tall, and athletic, a complete package. I don't see anyone beating him and win the Federation and win the Federation title. I just see him getting confidence and going stronger as time goes on. Sonny thinks Sid is going to be a perfect champion and the word Wrestling Federation.
Speaker 5: Honey.
Speaker 14: Not only does he have the size to be a great champion. But he's insane, she would know. After all, we are in a land of giants, she says, And he's got that attitude you need to win at all costs. And hey, you never know what could happen in the future between him and me, Babe. Maybe Sunny could be ringside for his matches, always recruiting someone with a gold I know, right heart, I never saw an eye with Sewn Michaels, but I was disappointed all to see his reign end like that against Psycho Sid. It's a sad state of affairs. A world champion whos worked as hard as Sean has can be whacked over the head with a camera and power bombed into the mat to lose his title. If I were Sid, I would have never kept the title. I would have been ashamed to have wont it the way he did. Of course, you would have mean while he goes on to win titles like that, that's SummerSlam in ninety seven. Rocky by via Sid is the champion. It's as simple as that. Thanks Rocky, with the World Wrestling Federation title around his ways, it tells me that he's going to take someone with a lot of experience to take a big body like his down for the three count. Hopefully I get that chance somewhere down the road.
Speaker 5: I'll not with him. So there you go.
Speaker 14: In house propaganda as it regards Sid the Spotlight pages as World Wrestling Federation Champion, it's the cid Era, boss, it is, and we can't we can't talk around it. It is the cid Era that magazine giving us a look at all kinds of components of the man. After Survivor Series on television, Vince doing commentary calls Sid unquestionably the most intense man to ever wear the title, and Vince and pettent Gil really that's what he says.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really.
Speaker 14: On this clip, Vince and Petton Gill are going on and on about how Shawn Michaels put compassion for his true friend beyond his title ambitions by caring for Jose Lothario and that critical moment during the Survivor Series match when Lothario had been hit by Sid and Sean took his eye off the ball to make sure Lothario was okay. And here is Sid speaking for the first time is WWF Champion on WWF television, giving his take on how to interpret all of that.
Speaker 4: It's about lad and Tillman.
Speaker 30: Why you're playing in the world US played veneration Champion.
Speaker 21: What if the manage last night, albeit controversial, you have thousands upon thousands of fans and medicines Square Garden that were cheering you on a lot of folks that it can never happen that you were too unstable, but that was not the case.
Speaker 4: You are of the Man.
Speaker 2: It is your time.
Speaker 4: But do you have any remorse.
Speaker 21: Over your accents last night as it relates to Sean Michaels or the sixty two year old Josela Thario.
Speaker 3: I got to say no.
Speaker 11: The reason why that's because JOSEI I made I have played respect for but you put your ass.
Speaker 30: On the apron and then you even came for the game.
Speaker 6: And then when you.
Speaker 11: Play the game with the Man, they only the three can't count with that?
Speaker 2: Yes, what of the Michaels.
Speaker 13: What about a rematch with a heartbreak kid?
Speaker 19: Yeah, heartbreak kin. You want a rematch, you got it.
Speaker 11: I'll beat you once and then that time I'll beat you again because I am.
Speaker 20: Because I am the man, will I am the master.
Speaker 3: And the ruler of the world.
Speaker 21: Seventy superstars are lining up to challenge you. Vader song Co, Steve Austin, the Undertaker, and on December fifteenth, the legendary Britt the Hitman Heart.
Speaker 30: We'll go hold on round with here, Wwrcyle.
Speaker 4: Are you going to be a fighting champion?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you something.
Speaker 11: I was dever o'clock to wrestle again. Beat me, Boll called me back. Stephen Bieball made me and Jef ben be for the baseball. I will be my fighting jafman.
Speaker 5: Who have hurt out.
Speaker 21: Brett Hart specifically, he's looking to Rigga the ww.
Speaker 30: A Poddle for the fourth time.
Speaker 16: Brett, my friend, you're trying to make comportunity. You're trying to make retiputation to going.
Speaker 3: Through this store.
Speaker 11: Will you wrestling come back in the Wrestling World Wrestling Federation will end like that on December fifteenth, because you have to face me, Britain Man, hit Man, Brickman.
Speaker 5: You have to face me.
Speaker 4: The Master.
Speaker 16: The game is simple, my friend. Two minutes there, one man survives the Decemblar system. When the snow clears, I will be standing firm the Master, and I am a ruler.
Speaker 4: By the who You're your world wrestling flight end.
Speaker 1: He's the Lapsed Fall wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio and JPI Sooro.
Speaker 5: So yeah, hardly a home run there, No, not at all. That was a awful Remember what.
Speaker 14: Jim Cornette said, It wrings in our head right why he had to be paired with Million Dollar Man because right beyond delivering an explosive one minute of xatives, so to speak, Sid really can't remember everything he's supposed to hit on the promos, the data, Michelle, the opponent, he says master and Ruler of the world twice. It's not the kind of promo you hope to hear from a guy who just won the world title for the first time, right, not at all. We're on this track and they're setting up the Royal Rumble, which of course was in January of nineteen ninety seven at the Alamo Dome in San Antonio, Texas. Very ambitious venue for the WWF to run for a rumble, especially in this time period where they were struggling, especially VISAVWCW, but the whole attraction to Sean Michaels. The San Antonio boy is going to get his rematch against Sid if Sid emerges from the title match against Brett Hart at the its time in your House as champion. They had kind of a tough time kind of basically telling San Antonio that they were going to get Sean getting revenge on Sid without right right for running the result of the Brett match. So they're threading that needle carefully through the winter of nineteen ninety six. But that's already in place. The venue is booked and they got to start moving tickets. They've got to start convincing people that this is going to be a big homecoming and a big thing to be there for to see Shawn Michaels achieve. So they set up a big old press conference in San Antonio and you know, the Alamo theme is there. They introduce a lot of the Triple A wrestlers. Remember in that rumble Boss, they brought in a lot of lootra doors.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: I remember, not a fan, but I remember.
Speaker 14: Forged a promotional alliance hopefully to get a little bit of the you know, the Mexican fans to cross over and come to the show and help fill the building up, get some some buzz going on on Mexican wrestling television as well as their own television network for the show, and that all starts to blossom. And of course the dais is there for Sewn and Sid to carry on and to get people fired up for the show. Problem is Brett's there as well, of course, because he's got to keep open the possibility that he's going to go into the the Royal Rumble show is Champion. But missing from the day, missing from the press conference for the nineteen ninety seven Royal.
Speaker 5: Rumble was Sid. Oh thank god.
Speaker 14: They play this package on their television show about how huge this press conference was and how impactful it is and how Sean's going to get a shot at the championship against whoever may be the champion, And the champion isn't there, and you might ask yourself, what kind of game is he playing? We've seen this from Sid, we studied his career thus far. Yes, or, according to Bruce Pritchard, who was in the front office at the time, the reason for Sid's absence much more prosaic.
Speaker 25: Well, he overslept.
Speaker 4: And that was that was it.
Speaker 25: It was like what's the big deal. It's a press conference.
Speaker 31: Well, we had done TV in the next day, myself, Vince, Sean, I think the marketing people were already there. But we all get on the plane in Hartford and looking around and I'm saying, where the hell Sid?
Speaker 25: There's no Sid. We're trying to find out, were you s SID? Last night?
Speaker 31: It's like no, And a couple of the boys were in the airport and I'm asking, I'm going down the aisle asking anybody anybody's seen Sid. Didn't see him? Didn't see him? Very uncharacteristic for Sid. Well, we get on the plane. We're calling all the hotels in the area.
Speaker 25: No Sid.
Speaker 31: We all three get on the plane, myself, Vince, and Sean, and we go down for this huge press conference. Man, we had this square in downtown San Antonio, this beautiful Spanish square, all rented out to make the announcement of Shawn Michaels, you know, coming home and all this bullshit.
Speaker 25: He's gonna face Psycho Sid and no world champion.
Speaker 31: And finally Vince gets a hold of him around noon one o'clock and he just was like, I guess I overslept.
Speaker 25: I guess so Vince was pretty fucking pissed, to say the very least.
Speaker 31: And we we had Antonio Pena from Triple A and a lot of the Triple A guys there.
Speaker 25: We made it work.
Speaker 31: But if you'd imagine today the champion no showing a major press conference for a.
Speaker 25: Major pay per view, it just wouldn't happen.
Speaker 31: And that was when Vince was kind of like, well, only a little while longer than he's going to be in that position, and.
Speaker 25: Bit the bullet and we moved on.
Speaker 31: But that was a major fuck up, and that was one that kind of stuck in Vince's craws for a while because Seawan was had been out. Sean stayed up all night long with Austin and they had been drinking all night, and Sean was showed up, had been drinking all night, pretty fucked up, got on the plane and he made it. But yet, you know, Sid, the guy that doesn't go out and party, the guy that is, you know, mister reliable, no shows and can't be found and just thinks it's okay to say I overslept.
Speaker 25: It was just a press conference. So that was again one of those beginning of the ends in a lot of respects.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine why Sid never got his Just do boss, Yeah, I know, right, unbelievable. Why do not get that six month run? Well, well, Pallyannoi, you did oversleep the.
Speaker 3: That doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: It kind of doesn't matter. I mean, you know, we have we have the shot exactly exactly the shat you think that works on everybody and on everything. He thinks it works. Of course Coruly does.
Speaker 14: So they're trying to get tickets sold for this rumble and they don't have a champ there. You know, Bruce, I think is kind of putting the card before the horse a bit one, suggesting that they were announcing Sid and Sean because they still have the the It's time thing to get through with. But in the NAPTI Convention, the National Association of Television Producers, where you know, you know, Vince would always set up a booth and Breck would set up a booth, and they would have this big show for television to sell their television ad time, mostly in syndicated side. Sid apparently was there representing the WWBF. This took place, according to the records I could find, on January fourteenth of the fifteenth, nineteen ninety seven in New Orleans, Louisiana. Sid calls out the NAPTI convention in New Orleans when I'm talking about this and shoot interviews, And it was during this period of time, which I believe is subsequent to the aforementioned San Antonio press conference, that he kind of talked it through as far as where they're going for this show and where they're going for Sid's title reign in his short term future. And again to hear Sid tell it, he talked himself into thinking that he actually could get a run, that there was a way out of this, this this title win that didn't involve him losing it directly back to Sean and San Antonio. And here in an R video shoot interview, Sid what counts talking to Vince McMahon at the NAPTI convention about what was about to happen to his first WWF title run.
Speaker 15: Now, because that was the idea, you know, I guess I hear say that Sean's dream was to be in a big show like that in his hometown.
Speaker 26: All Right.
Speaker 15: The agreement was this, I take the belt at Survivor series and we'd keep it only as long as I was drawn. Okay, going to the Nazi Convention or wherever it's called, the New Orleans representing the WWF, you know, one day and Vincent I went in and we were talking.
Speaker 7: He said, said, he's right, two uns for you.
Speaker 15: Drop that belt back to Sean and san Antonio. I said, Evince, I said, you say the things were core good that you know, we want to think about it at least or talk about it. He said, no, See what I'm gonna do is this this is on down. We're gonna drop it on me, putting on there, and then we're gonna do a thirteen hour roll and each will put it back on you there. And that was my understanding.
Speaker 18: Was and that they did have all they had. The Thursday night wrong was scheduled but didn't go as planned. You know, Sean came out and gave the classic interview about losing his smile and never wound up, you know, losing the title that night.
Speaker 5: Was there any personal resignment from you towards Sewn.
Speaker 15: No that night, not Mae, because they'll tell you what this step my business, that's his business, and that's what I don't nobody in my business. If I want to do a no show or I want to fucking cuss up promotion. You know, I want my freedom to do what I want to do if I want, you know whatever. I don't judge anybody, but that's Sean. That's what Sean want to do. More power shot. It didn't bother me at all, you know. Uh, of course it's unprofessional, but you know didn't because it pays the same.
Speaker 17: Right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 16: Right?
Speaker 18: And the only reason I asked is because it's now infamous about the problems that Brent and Sean had behind the scenes, and it seemed like it's them from Sean not wanted to put Brett back over and Brett take it personally. That's why I asked with you. And you actually did some three ways with Breton Sean. Could you sense any tension between the two during the Three Ways?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I was putting little situations like but uh, we all came out of it every night pretty good. It was a weird batch for it. Who booked out pretty good?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I mean he said he was always put in the middle of these situations. That's what we were saying.
Speaker 5: Yep, it's so fucking funny. I think part of the.
Speaker 14: Reason that you were so jarred back in the day as to why Sean suddenly didn't have the belt anymore, is what he just said. It was a Thursday night Raw. Yeah, right, exactly, That's definitely it. Like I missed that Thursday Night Raw. I didn't watch it. I forgot all about it for whatever reason on that Mondays.
Speaker 5: US Open or Dog Show whatever, right, and so you know, you know, for me, I was watching. You know, the last time I saw I saw the WW would have been the Monday previous, so two weeks had gone by for me before I realized that Shawn Michaels gave up the belt and Brettheart was a champion at Thursday Raw. Thursday.
Speaker 14: Yep, that was a very memorable night for a lot of reasons. It was live's Lowell mass. Sean does the the infamous I've lost my smile speech and relinquishes the belt, having tweaked his knee in one of the aforementioned triple threat matches off television with Brett Hart and sid that they were doing around the horn, and he, uh, you know, does it heartfelt speech in the ring and gives the championship to events and leaves and they do the whole tell Me a Live thing again where Sean leaves before he's supposed to. And yeah, according to what Sid says there, and according to the advertising going in, as we'll get to, it was supposed to be Shawn Michael's versus Sid for the title in the rematch on Thursday Raw Thursday, and Sid was supposed to do, at least according to the conversation he just recounted with Vince win the title back on that show. He doesn't, of course, end up winning it until the show We're going to Deep Dive next, the February seventeenth Raw. This one took place a little earlier in February. That's also the night where Rocky my Via wins the Intercontinental title for the first time, right beating Triple H and thus really accelerating the Die Rocky Die fan backlash, which is part and parcel of the same phenomenon that we were just talking about, with the fan siding with Sid over Sean.
Speaker 5: And Yeah, it's very true. That's a good point.
Speaker 14: It's all happening in real time. It ends up being Sid and yes, Sid and stone Cold in the main event of Thursday Raw Thursday, instead of really Sean. Yeah, and I don't know if I've ever seen the entire thing. Actually, yeah, it's quite it's quite a memorable night. Prickly in retrospect did a lot of stuff that ended up having ramifications. They go back to that show a lot, you know, and telling histories and stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, it's always a thing.
Speaker 14: Now, Bruce takes a little bit of exception, saying, you know, this idea because Conrad references this interview and says that Sid was under the impression that as long as he was drawing his champion that he would continue having the strap, and Bruce, I think rightfully pushes back and says, no, it was always the idea. Everyone knew before Sid even beat Sean, that it was always a plan for Sid to drop the title Sean and san Antonio. And there was never this proviso that if you were drawing, we're going to leave it on you. That was never ever the case. He says, from our point of view, his talent was aware of that. Talent talent was aware of what we were going to do between Survivor's series and the World Rumble and what we were going to do at the Rumble, so that it just doesn't hold any water to suggest anything. You know that there was any other plan other than that, and I think that's very clear. I mean, there's no way you book Alamodome and put Sean in the main event and there's even a centil of a chance that he doesn't win the championship.
Speaker 5: Of course, I mean, or you know, yeah, it needs to be exactly.
Speaker 14: Exactly would be fucking death if they didn't have the happy ending there. And there's hardly in the early days, hardly any meditation on WIF television around Sid's era. You know, they're not really trying to tell the fans that this could be the beginning of a long rain. Not initially they don't say that, and of course that's probably because it wasn't supposed to be. But it's so obvious when you actually go back and watch all this stuff and realize everything about Sid is equal parts about Sean Michaels. Anything they say about Sid is just the entree to point out that he cheated by attacking Jose Thethario, and thus Shawn Michaels shouldn't be demerited for losing the title to Sid, because he lost it because he cared more for his mentor in this old Man than he did the championship and it's all about Sean, even though sid now was walking around his champion. There was a satellite interview where they they asked, Sean, who's now starting to show you know, he's starting to wear the stubble, he's starting to show a lot more grit on it interviews he started.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's he I think I talked about this when we did the ninety six Survivor series. He actually made me nervous that he was going to turn here. Yeah you're saying, and before or after the match? After the match? Yes, when he started, because he started acting a lot like Kevin Nash did when he lost about the year prior. That's the same playbook. And I was like, oh god, they're going to do this now, right, not Sean, He's my new Hogan. Amazing. Why do they keep doing this to me?
Speaker 14: It's weird They went that place with him, considering there was the Cinderella finish coming up at the Alamodome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, exactly.
Speaker 14: But he starts acting out. I think Sean, you know, you read his book and hear him talk about the zero.
Speaker 5: He was so.
Speaker 14: At his own head about the presentation being all wrong. You know that this playing to you know, screaming teenage girls and being a boy toy and stuff that it was very clear after ninety six was done that that was not going to be his meal ticket. You know, that was not going to be the kind of presentation that was going to leave him perceived. He does a really successful champion, and he was always very insecure about being accepted at the level his predecessors.
Speaker 5: Were as a champion. That's a big thing.
Speaker 14: We finally get the strap and we heard, like Isaacady Guerrero for instance, struggle endlessly with feeling unworthy of having the belt. And for Sean, I mean, I think that is a huge part and we did a lot of the psychoanalysis of this when we did the ninety seven journey. A huge part of why there was tension with Brett is because Sean, when push came to CHEF never really felt like Brett was sincere in saying that Sean was going to be able to carry the WWF the way Brett did as champion, and that he never really never really did the things that Sean would have expected him to do to give him that boost and that acceptance and that endorsement, and he was always waiting for it, and he was always waiting for it, and when he finally didn't get it, over a period of time, he started acting out. And I think by the Winner of ninety six we're starting to see that where Sean is acting so much more. It's kind of like a preemptively defensive and everything he says on television, and I have to believe this is before every line was scripted for these guys. I have to believe that part of that is Sean trying to really go in a business himself to some degree and framing his presentation differently considering how massive the crowd rejection was in you know, the leading litmus test arena for Vince Madison, Square Garden. So he's talking about in the satellite interview as they're asking him, did it throw you off that so many fans were cheering sid And he's saying, it didn't throw me off. I always said, I want the fans at WWF to enjoy themselves. If I can't provide what wouldn't make them enjoy themselves, then they can get it from somewhere else. I want the people behind me, but I will not beg the people to be behind me. So he's starting to get that streak of like that fuck you.
Speaker 5: Right, it's in again. It made me very nervous.
Speaker 14: And they go to London and very nervous. And when they were there they shoot some TV and Steve Austin actually hit Sid with the belt. There was a little mini Sid Austin feud during all this that's kind of easy to I vaguely remember that. Yeah, they have Sid versus Austin for I think the first time at least on television a couple of weeks after the Survivor's series, and Austin hits Sid with the belt and Davy boy Smith actually runs out and starts fighting with Austin, and Sid is dq'ed. He goes to power bomb Davy boy Smith and Brett makes the save for Davy boy and then Brett and Sid go face to face. This is ahead of its time, of course, allowing Stone Cold to knee Brett from behind and then Sid choke slams Brett down. So it's all, you know, all the different cross currents here, everybody's feuds are intertwining. And then there's another Shawn Michael satellite interview that they it's almost like these damage control satellite interviews they're doing with Sean after Survivor series where they're just hammering that he did this for jose Lethario and he doesn't care if you don't cheer for him, and he's in for his supporters and all that. And this is one that I think colors in a lot of Sid's early presentation.
Speaker 5: Here is champion. Okay, I really don't know what the controversy is about.
Speaker 30: Why everybody is where aroulse sticking their nose in my business.
Speaker 11: First of all, you Brett Hart, you come down, you davy boy, you come down.
Speaker 3: There's no place for you there.
Speaker 7: So what happens when you stick your nose in my business?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: The champ I am the champion of the world.
Speaker 27: That says at all that says that I am the man that says that I am the master and the rule.
Speaker 28: The world.
Speaker 8: By New Era darding here in the world Roastic Federation with the highly aggressive cycle to the rating world ROSTI feration in Jamie'll just winning to end the title.
Speaker 4: I guess the hit man on the early Christmas President in your house that fits.
Speaker 5: But there it is.
Speaker 14: That's that's all tasty and new era. Did he just say yeah, yeah, it's fleeting, but they start talking about it and Sid kicks off the December ninth, nineteen ninety six braw as well in this vein.
Speaker 16: Welcome to be wanting a ww have Monday night Raw begin you along with Terry the King Lawer.
Speaker 4: And ed On Jr.
Speaker 13: And look goostrolling from the squ circles.
Speaker 4: No last than the World Last Thing Federation champion.
Speaker 8: Himself a monster of three hundred Conder's in jar An individual.
Speaker 4: Perhaps it's indeed leading us into a new here here.
Speaker 21: In the World Last Thing Federation of Donald Willis Morris Biscol Gifts are concerned, Sycho said, Maybe.
Speaker 2: The leader here in the w doesn't live for a long time to come.
Speaker 3: But what a cross road.
Speaker 21: Psycho sit and finds himself backing this Sunday on pay per view, because will it be time for Psycho said to catch his name into immortality there you see it? Or will it be Brett Hart's opportunity to regain the WWF title for the fourth time.
Speaker 2: Give me a break, Jim Rush.
Speaker 32: I don't see anybody in the WWF they can beat Psycho Sid right now.
Speaker 2: Look you beat Sewn Michaels, He'll beat.
Speaker 6: Bret to hit man heart looking woo him down.
Speaker 8: Look at that cych co Sid, But we're all ross plays fighter action champion tonight.
Speaker 4: And going against another champion.
Speaker 8: Yes it's a champion pursus champion, sich Com said, perhaps power bombing us off here raw as sids work up.
Speaker 13: Again come late.
Speaker 2: Hum.
Speaker 14: So there's the framing new era of stuff, talking about his his physical gifts and all that. But it really starts to sound to me like, you know, this is going to be the only time Sid's going to headline the pay per view as champion. We better we better hurry up and accelerate the hype for this guy as someone that uh is worth buying a pay per view to see defend the championship and create the impression that you know, you're watching history in the making with him defending as opposed to it's kind of hard to get people to buy a champ a championship match when you think the champions lame duck. But it's just all of a sudden, it switches from Sean got screwed, Shawn got screwed. Sid won the belt, But that doesn't really that's not the story here to Sid is launching a new era of aggression here in the WWF.
Speaker 5: It's kind of weird now, it's so fucking convoluted and it's so phony.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, because they didn't really, they didn't react that way when Sid first won the belt, and now that there's a pay per view to sell without Sewn involved, it's like, well, we got to really kind of make it about Sid because we're not No one's going to buy this pay per view for what Shawn does. He doesn't have a match. He's going to be there, but we can't spend much more time emphasizing Sean and the damage control element of it, or it seemed to me at least to be damage control. But I think also we've got a lot for the possibility that week to week they're changing course, you know, they're trying to decide what's going to be most effective for that WrestleMania. The loosely sketched out plan of the Shawn Brett rematches very clearly becoming a fraught thing. It's not going to be very easy to put that match together. Definitely not going to be easy to get Brett the win back, which is probably the only way they could get that match in the ring. I'm not sure Brett would be a huge fan of losing to Shawn again to Wrestlemani's.
Speaker 5: In row, No, not at all.
Speaker 14: I cannot say this. Shawn Michaels in the state of mine. He's in agreeing to do the honors either. So that whole U come to Jesus conversation about how I just want you to know I wouldn't return the favor for you, Brett. I think could have been pushed forward quite a few months if if the issue was forced to WrestleMania thirteen, But for now, its time is on the calendar. Sids the champion, and we're going to frame him as a revolutionary New Era flag bearer on that. On an episode of Raw, as Vince was talking about he was to face Triple H. You at the time was the continental champion, and during the course of the match, Sid hits Triple H with a huge guerrilla press slam. They start fighting in the isle way. He power bombs him out there on the floor, but actually they get back in the ring, he power bombs him, Triple H rolls out, crawls up the aisle, and is counted out of the ring. So this WWF champion that's harbor the harboring der of a new era of aggression and dominance in the Wwfah can't even beat Triple H by pinfall. I mean, so I would love to know the negotiation that went on there, because this is, you know, this is Triple H starting to come out of the penalty box from the whole click incident as ninety six becomes ninety seven and now he's got the championship belt and he's gonna win King of the Ring again in ninety seven's it's just amazing to me that you just can't have Sid just beat the intercontinental champion to further cement him as your man. But those are the kind of things like, okay, those little signals I feel like that you give to the fans. So this guy isn't actually a long champion because he's not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're like they're completely uh uh you know, they're they're they're they're not making him feel important. They're not making him feel like he's worth paying attention to me or investing in. Right, he's not.
Speaker 14: He's not having the definitive outcomes that a champion of tenure would. You know that they've trained the fans to expect from a champion that's going to have a tenure with the belt. And as this all happens, as Triple H crawls up the aisle to avoid the pinfall, Sid's got this flat look on his face like he's watching the cashier ring him up or something, and it's like normal, look, yeah, he looks like a guy competing at a protest. Really, and they would get to the its time pay per view, which is mentioned is in December, I think December fourteenth, ninety sixth plus Palm Beach, Florida. And of course back at the time, Superstars was still on syndicated television on Saturday Sunday mornings of.
Speaker 5: Pay per views, and so you'd wrestled twice in the day.
Speaker 14: Well, if there was a match in the can that had been taped weeks before, yeah, sometimes they'd play that match in the morning of the pay per view and then you'd wrestle that night. And just like you said, on the pay per view, they talk as if you wrestled earlier that same very day, which is just hilarious. But in this case, they would set up a live remotes. So if you watch Superstars that Sunday morning and this gets me really cozy, this thought of like, you know, Bowl of Cereal pay per view and you watch Superstars at eleven in the morning and they're there in the arena. The arena is empty, you can see all the empare Oh I love that. Yep, so good, such a good use of that time. And they're telling you tonight's the night and they'll have interviews with the principles, and you just get this sense, you know, kind of like how the you know, the super Bowl pre show, even though the super Bowl doesn't kick off till whatever it is, eight thirty starting at noon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you watched, yeah exactly, you watch all the shit leading up to it.
Speaker 14: You at least get a glimpse of the terrain and the and the atmosphere and the energy, and you get it. You hear from from from the players, and you get a sense of what's going to mean to them when they finally hit that field. And that's what these little Superstars occasions would mean. And and Sid actually had some some some bright shining moments during some of these, uh, these Superstars previews, if you can call them that, that morning of its time. Sid is outside in westbaum Commentation, commenting on the match after Shawn Michaels had done an interview going off pretty much just on Brett Hart exclusively, and then they did an actual face off between Brett and Sean outside the venue in the daylight near some palm trees and they're jaw jacking and talking trash. So they basically shot angles for Superstars that morning, and it definitely seems like they had even up to its time a Sean Brett match in mind, it still seemed like loosely penciled in as we're building to Brett Seawan again, because they are not leading people to want to see something different than that after Sean gets the belt back. They are really getting you to want to see Brett and Sean again. There's no other way to watch this. This television show. It's interesting, yeah, and it's lost, and it's lost to history because people just accelerate right from Survivors series to Royal Rumble, and by Rumble, I feel like, you know, lost in winning and stuff. It's a little more up for grabs. And then of course the knee injury happens and Sean relinquishes the championship, and then whatever vestiges there may have been off Brett sewn in a rematch, go down the toilet, but they're definitely still comfortable as of the superstars. The morning of it's time pointing fans toward a Shan Brett rematch and trying to get them hyped for it. And here on that broadcast is Sid weighing in and all that's happening around him as WWF Champion.
Speaker 10: The WWF Champion, Psycho Sid.
Speaker 33: It is sold out here tonight and millions of people will be watching on pay per view in your house.
Speaker 10: It's time your challenger, Brett Hart.
Speaker 33: Feels it's time for him to regain the WWF title for a fourth time.
Speaker 10: A lot of other people feel it is a new error here in the WWF.
Speaker 4: It's Psycho Sid.
Speaker 5: Time see it.
Speaker 11: You're exactly right, And what I feel, I feel a little parannoy you coming from you here, man, and no reason why, because you consider yourself the best there is, the bester was and the best ever be. So you gotta understand something, my friend, you're.
Speaker 10: A great technical wrestler, but.
Speaker 11: I beat the greatest technical wrestler of all time, and that's Sean Michaels, And so wow, he is planning in the back of your head, and you know that you've got to come to my game plan.
Speaker 10: Hey, that is power, power.
Speaker 3: That you don't have.
Speaker 33: All right, Well, speaking of Sean Michaels, he'll be at ringside doing color commentary tonight.
Speaker 10: Is that going to be a major distraction?
Speaker 2: No, it won't be good.
Speaker 11: I'll tell you something, Sean, if you stick to your nose in my business, you'll get the exact same thing.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank god.
Speaker 10: But so it won't bother you none whatsoever. There's Seawn Michaels.
Speaker 4: Who sit.
Speaker 14: Sewn, just flies into frame and jumps on said, wow, street clothes like black shirt, black jeans. Way, I'm pretty sure you can hear Vincent there. Hey, knock it off. Knock it off, ye, knock it off. Goddamn you remember that Sid doing an interview outdoors and like the sunny Florida and then Sean flies into the frame with like a planchet.
Speaker 5: I don't remember at all.
Speaker 14: I think they replay it during the body of the Royal Rumble nineteen ninety seven. Pardon me, it's time ninety six broadcast. So yeah, Sean's showing up and he's fighting anybody at noon. It's pretty it's pretty wild.
Speaker 5: Then that sounds like Sean during during ninety the nineties.
Speaker 14: It's Sean looking for anybody to fuck with. And then later on during the pay per view itself, with the white painter's cap on backwards, Sid has this to say.
Speaker 33: Oh God, you have found out in a short you've been World Wrestling Federation champion.
Speaker 30: You are no longer the hunter. You are the hunted.
Speaker 33: I'd like to take you back to earlier this morning on Sunday Morning Superstars, when that has never been more evident.
Speaker 10: Now there it was Shawn Michaels diving on you.
Speaker 33: As I was conducting an interview with you, out comes Brett harton At one time you and Brett Hart are.
Speaker 4: Both beating on Shawn Michaels.
Speaker 33: And then Brett Hart really made the big bad mistake of turning his back on Psycho Sid. And boy, you sure took advantage of that opportunity. As we can see right here here it comes wow.
Speaker 6: Thiss like that. Dot.
Speaker 11: See if you head the loan by now see, don't put your nose in my business. And if you can't believe that as today.
Speaker 33: All right, Sid, but Jose aside tonight you can squelch the critics. You can silence everybody by defeating the legend Breda hit Man, Heart, bad Hair and the future.
Speaker 3: We make take it that top Brett, Shine, be.
Speaker 7: Je Shine and Shine fall. It's easy.
Speaker 28: Last.
Speaker 10: Thanks, all right, all right, Vince back to you at rings.
Speaker 1: Fan Wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnac and JP.
Speaker 5: Sorrow barely understand Dan thing. You know, so you get to kind of change it up a little bit. You know, I might might get it. You're a master of the ruler blah blah blah bah blah. But you know, maybe say something new, something fresh, something that maybe isn't that. Please maybe say you're you're a goldfish, You're a monkey. I'm the monkey and the ruler of the world fans, if if that's what it takes, Yes, maybe say you're a goldfish or a monkey. Yeah it's a little a little monkey's uncle maybe.
Speaker 14: And uh something from that major And on his entrance to face bretton the main event of this In Your House show, Vince is talking like Sid's going to be the dominant champion, for years to come. And then Shawn, who gets on color commentary, call Sid the WWF's most expensive piece of luggage. He says, me and others carry him here and carry him there. Oh my god, Shawn says. Shawn is now totally id. It's just shouting everything. He says, gave him a live mic and he just like lets all of his insecurities pour out onto the television screen during the course of the match.
Speaker 5: It's a good one.
Speaker 14: Sid always worked well with Brett, Suplex's and mayors and Sid's taking bumps. And then suddenly Austin comes out and chop blocks Bred on the floor. This leads to Bulldog and Owen coming out to stop them, which again leads further credence to the idea that before Austin was to face Brett at WrestleMania thirteen and the Infamous, not the Infamous, the famous submission match, it was to be Steve Austin versus Davy boys.
Speaker 5: Smith, which just hurts. It hurts. It's hurts so bad.
Speaker 14: When they still thought that there was a chance Brett and Seawan were going to tangle in Chicago. So Brett now has a bad wheel thank to Steve Austin's blindsided at t the action hits the floor, Sid goes over to the announced table and pie face as Shawn Michaels sewn gets up on the apron and Sid tosses Brett into Shawn Michaels, leading to a collision and that allows Sid to hook Bread up for the power bomb and the one two three. SID defeats Brett Hart to retain the title and the only pay per view he ever went into and successfully defended the title against an opponent.
Speaker 5: That is true, that's a very good point of time.
Speaker 14: The next night, the December sixteenth, nineteen ninety six, Raw, Brett, of course has many grievances because of Sewan and Steve Austin's interference. Says, there's no good reason I'm not the World Wrestling Federation Champion, and I feel like here the Raw after its time is where they really turn up the dial on Brett as the whiny complainer because he's not just making points that are valid, but you can kind of hear the announcers kind of like try to kind of coach you to start to have a bad taste in your mouth about this guy, Like we've heard enough of this, Like win the championship man or shut the fuck up. And then that's when Brett starts talking about how you know things have changed, I don't know who my friends are anymore in the WWF, you don't know what the rules are. Remember that that's because there is no rules. And then they call Sean prissy. He says, you said you wouldn't interfere in the match, and you did, and Sean can't handle that. He's not as boy toy. Yeah, that's that's coming. And you can hear the words if coming out of Brett's mouth. Sean just can't handle that. He's not as good as I am.
Speaker 5: You can just hear it. You can hear it. And on that show, it's a Austin versus Vader, like holy shit, you know they they weren't shying away from Steve Austin building up his tough guy bona fides, despite doing sneak attacks on Brett to put him in there with Vader and have him go toe to toe and fucking slug it out with him. Oh yeah, I mean that's I mean, they're really doing such an amazing it's really amazing work they do with Austin. Yeah, especially it's really remarkable for it.
Speaker 14: Like really crystallizes. You're like, wow, yep, they actually were really smart every step of the way, and like doing little things to make you still realize that as sneaky of a motherfucker, Steve as he's not running away from anything. He just rabbid and that will actually come to love him for that. And during the course of this match with Vader in the main event of the Raw, after its time, Brett hard actually shows back up and attacks Steve Austin on the floor and chop blocks him and puts him in the sharpshooter, And that's a big uh. That's a big moment too where Brett is kind of being aggressive in a way that we should boo him as justified as he may be in his frustrations with Steve Austin and costing him the championship the night before. He's carrying himself in a way that we haven't really been programmed to cheer, and of course Sid has something to say about it all because he's still remember me, you're WWF champion.
Speaker 8: Gentlemen, we have pretty much core get to you the one and only what like butter Rectionia champion, showing us now.
Speaker 5: Goodhead, but the moment the fake razor music, of course annoying.
Speaker 16: Thank you very much, mister fitz McMahon said, you haven't crossed the entire world westing direction.
Speaker 4: J I just paide a point.
Speaker 8: In less than thirty days, while you have dominated to the extent, you have defeated Sean Michaels with a power bomb. You have defeated Prett Hart with a power bomb in less than thirty days.
Speaker 4: Can anyone stop you? Can anyone take.
Speaker 2: That title from you?
Speaker 4: Dis No, It's simple.
Speaker 11: See the game might play. I am the master, and if you step back to the ring, you will go down.
Speaker 4: All right, Then let's take you to the Alamo dum.
Speaker 34: The day will be January nineteenth, Seventy thousand fans will jam packed the arena said, and when you face Sean Michaels, the outcome of that is didn't question at all as far as you're concerning.
Speaker 30: I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 3: I know I'm going to shine Michael's backyard.
Speaker 30: But you gotta understand something, mister McMahon.
Speaker 11: I thrive, I thrive unversity. So it will be my victory, a sweet victory to walk into San Antonio and take Sean Michaels way more.
Speaker 3: Don way more don to the top, two feet up and two down.
Speaker 7: It works.
Speaker 4: And as far as don't get it, I think your part be interrupting it. As far as Jose la.
Speaker 8: Fario is concerned, he's Valcavie in the corner of Shawn Michael's once again.
Speaker 4: And I wouldn't think that would necessarily concern you though, will.
Speaker 11: No, I'm gonna tell you some pose. Remember what happened to Survivor series. Do yourself favor and stay at home where you belong.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining us, Psycho said World of Rustling Counteraction.
Speaker 14: Champions, and had taken a step further. The next week, December twenty third, nineteen ninety six edition of Monday Night Raw, Sid visits with Vince.
Speaker 4: There's a little food for thought there.
Speaker 21: You can't talk to this man, and he is the man sixty nine, three hundred and thirteen pounds, but he got.
Speaker 3: A wonder one of the folks in.
Speaker 21: San Antonio think of Psycho, said, the folks in New York City.
Speaker 2: Loved him at the Survivor's here.
Speaker 13: I don't think sim will get that kind of reception.
Speaker 21: It's San Antonio at the Altamodome on January nineteen.
Speaker 13: What a magnificent physical specimen.
Speaker 4: He is not tendingly cure.
Speaker 21: He beats people in a pad with a string and what's been timid.
Speaker 14: Edison always apologizing for his lack of technical skills.
Speaker 5: I know, well that's that's the j R. Way Federation. City is young. This that is true.
Speaker 13: Man Sean Michael is looking on as we speak back in the locker.
Speaker 4: Amarion here he is psychos in less than thirty days.
Speaker 5: Keep the music going. Hear that power bombs go yeah.
Speaker 8: As power bomb roughly hitting man hard defeated both individual and indeed establish your dominant. It seems to me, however, that John Michaels has an attitude rent the hitting man heart as an attitude.
Speaker 5: Attitude is that word? Very interesting, Undertaker.
Speaker 4: Everybody has an attitude. When it comes.
Speaker 8: Attitude, Oliver, I would suggest that they all are going to be playing right into your hands.
Speaker 11: I do you think about second for a second. With the thirty days, I had to feed it the two waited technical wrestlers thround the world, but the game they played was technicality.
Speaker 3: And then at the end there was only power.
Speaker 19: For well, walk the ground guy, listen.
Speaker 11: Right, because I understood repredator, But the World.
Speaker 3: Wrestling Federation.
Speaker 5: Should say that after that there is.
Speaker 30: About the world.
Speaker 4: What was was Shan microsby thinking.
Speaker 30: But I will everyone to realize one thing.
Speaker 11: As I stand here right now, I am six foot nine and over three hundred.
Speaker 4: Pounds, and tomorrow I was a sixty.
Speaker 25: Times three hundred pounds.
Speaker 10: No doubt, I'm a going to day after and the day after.
Speaker 19: Earthy day after.
Speaker 5: This man is he's little nets but stuff. To be honest about it, I don't know, not working for me. No, I mean, listen, he says the same thing over and over again. It's not you know he it's kind of funny because he I feel like he had more to say in ninety two.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: Now it's just the same shit over and over again. Yeah, you're probably right.
Speaker 14: It got the psycho character, so it's like it's all affect and like there doesn't seem to be a great depth of things that he's able to pull out and say. It's just like as long as I scream and laugh maniacally at certain beats. They clearly fed him the super Predator line that was a new one. Yeah, that was a big one in the news, like a characterizing like inner city youth that were killing and murders like super predators. That's very ninety six of them to try to adopt that phrase and their Sid just try and trying to to sound like somebody that we should receive as our WWF champion, And I'm not sure it's working.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I don't think it is.
Speaker 14: Well, we do have the great luxury of Sid having taken the strap right around Christmas time as we head into the holiday season here as well. We were the beneficiaries because when the crack WWF production staff got together to try to come up with some holiday themed content for the syndicated weekend shows and such, the fact that Sid was champion allowed them to create a little jingle. Do you remember this, No happy Holidays from the World Wrestling Families.
Speaker 5: You're a damn right, So yeah you better? Uh what was it?
Speaker 14: A choke slam and a power bomb and uh, they were just they were just trying to make holiday content around Sid. It was so bizarre.
Speaker 5: And you know when they would do that around certain guys, it was always so fucking weird. You know, it's a guy. You know, there's one. There are a few people, and Sid's one of them. You don't need to make him Christmas, all right, he's like the he's like the opposite of Christmas.
Speaker 14: It doesn't occur to them like whether it fits. It's just like, well, all these guys are fair game for a little well we do can't well we could be lighthearted, we can have some fun. These guys are entertainers.
Speaker 5: It's like like like like the entertained.
Speaker 14: Actually Sid isn't an entertainer, Vince, He's if you make him a parade float, suddenly he's he's not as interesting to watch as a wrestler now as yeah uh. And to further humanize the man, probably to his detriment, Let's not forget. This is also the winter of Live Why the Live Wire experiment October I believe it was they or September, they just started doing this Saturday morning call in show concept from the television facilities in Stanford, where you know it would just be Vince and Sonny or Jim Ross or whoever it was. Vince Russo be involved taking phone calls from ww fans and emails and stuff, and they'd have special in guests in studio, guests that would you know, ninety percent k fabe in the interviews. But you know, it was interesting because they take calls from people that would ask about WCW and kind of like troll jobs, and they'd try to, you know, Vince Russo would try to say shooty things on the show.
Speaker 5: And uh, what do you know?
Speaker 14: Christmas nineteen ninety six, that live wire not Christmas Day, but that you know, the live wire before Christmas. Sid makes the trip. The WWF champion is in studio, and Boss, you better believe he's taking your calls.
Speaker 32: But if we take some calls from the subs and go to Craig in Florida, Craig you.
Speaker 35: That, oh, I'm certainly here. Good morning to you.
Speaker 5: Donc get goodness sure this is a real guy.
Speaker 35: By the way you the man did. I was there West Palm Beat Auditorium. The way you took care of Brett.
Speaker 25: To hit man heart a thing of beauty.
Speaker 35: I got to tell you, root for you to take care of Sewn Michaels.
Speaker 31: I'm tired of hearing him running his mouth, complaining Brett Harr complaining you got anything in doors special for Shawn Michaels to take him down.
Speaker 9: I'm will tell you a step that I'm going to take to Sean Michael's Trim Survivor series when has always worked for me, and that is my game plan. That is power, that is strange, and that's what's coming straight on, straight on.
Speaker 5: Well right now, tell you who's straight on.
Speaker 36: Today?
Speaker 25: Good morning, b You have a question?
Speaker 35: Ever said? Yeah, Well, first of all, I decided I'm a major SIT fan for years. I think it's about time that he has a title. Right, And my question is how older wife said, doesn't put his opponents o stretcher and knocking on the alley more like he used to.
Speaker 5: Well, let me tell you something.
Speaker 12: See that's what that's what I might have him store coming Alamo. Don't but don't be surprised if it happened and Yushaine Michael or the first one to be stretchered out.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 4: I believe them could be a prophetics named it. There are you saying that you would like to.
Speaker 33: Have Shawn stretched out in front of seventy thousand people?
Speaker 9: I would just say that it would it would just prove everyone's too is demand?
Speaker 33: Well, I would have to say, right now, twenty seven days, you power bomb Brett Hard and Shawn Michael's within that twenty seven days. Undoubtedly we are in a new era here in the World Wrestling Federation.
Speaker 16: But sid you.
Speaker 33: Gotta admit your work's cut out for you three weeks from the morrow.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm gonna tell you something. My work has been cut out the day one dog, But I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 5: My head's off to you, SHAWNE.
Speaker 17: Michael.
Speaker 5: My hat's off to you.
Speaker 9: Bretton Hitman Heart, the one time World Wrestling Federation Champion. I now know the pressures of having this belt around your waist. I feel the pressures on my shoulders, but I actually take the pressures and I can carry the load of the World Wrestling Federation.
Speaker 25: Let me ask you about pressure.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 25: We talked about this earlier.
Speaker 4: You do have a beat fan following.
Speaker 5: Your mindset.
Speaker 25: You don't care what happens as long as you get a victory.
Speaker 13: Now, how important are these people as far as motivating you?
Speaker 5: Will tell you something.
Speaker 9: When you're down, your look, your face is down on the mat. The only thing that brings you up is the fans, either doing or cheering the fans. Everything that comes through your body and out through into your heart and out your eyes, out to your skin.
Speaker 4: Pards here feel the fans.
Speaker 5: I feel them, and.
Speaker 9: I've heard them from day once since I've been back in the World Rusting Federation, and I will continue.
Speaker 5: Doc.
Speaker 6: Are you go ahead?
Speaker 37: Would one mind taking another phone call?
Speaker 13: And those people would love to shock you.
Speaker 27: Let's take Mike in Connecticut.
Speaker 35: Mikey there, Yeah, how are you doing?
Speaker 5: You got a question for sick?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Happy holidays everybody.
Speaker 36: Thank you.
Speaker 35: Sid.
Speaker 17: I just want to say I'm a major fan of yours.
Speaker 35: I'm glad that you destroyed the heartburn kid there, and uh, what's on?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 17: What else is on the horizon for sit in ninety seven, not only with yeah on coming.
Speaker 13: Up and possibly Brett, but maybe a possible match with you Invader maybe.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 6: Messages.
Speaker 9: Being the World Wrestling Fair Racing Champion, you cannot go by thinking who's your next opponent.
Speaker 17: You gotta live off the interstinct.
Speaker 9: And instinct is the only thing that's gonna make you survive, help you make it to the next day.
Speaker 17: And that's the one thing I have going for me is good instinct.
Speaker 1: I have a la fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the lapsed fan fan wrestling with Jack.
Speaker 5: And that's the one thing he's got going for him. Boss Good. Who's the woman there that's sunny?
Speaker 15: It was.
Speaker 14: Yeah, obviously the tape quality is poor, but they don't have pristine quality ones on the on the network for this live wire stuff. But yeah, that's one thing he's always had going for him as instinct, uh.
Speaker 5: Is in Yes he stinks.
Speaker 14: Isn't he such a charmer? And that extemporaneous speaking role, it's awful. What's awful about it?
Speaker 5: He just because he doesn't know what to fucking say. He's got right, It's like he he It's like he comes in there with an attitude and then he blanks, you know, and he realized that the it's like the attitude can't get you through it all, Like you need more this attitude. You need to have a fucking point.
Speaker 14: It's like I already said that. Uh, I already said that. You can almost hear him like run out of things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, And it's awful later.
Speaker 14: On in the show, and it wasn't I try to write home about But Shawn michaels him cell phones in probably slept in as well and screamed it said a little bit and said we'll rustling Federation one hundred times. And we go to the December thirtieth raw where Brett and Seawan are in a face off and they call Sewan, I believe, for the very first time on WF television, a degenerate. I think it's the first time really the word degeneratives used, yes, and then Brett attacks Austin during a tag match. Brett says, this is the show, the December thirtieth raw where Brett jumps on Sean for being in Playgirl, which was a key kind of point of friction between the two, something where you know, Brett of course claims he cleared it with Sean beforehand, but Seawn just took it in a way that wasn't expected. He says, Playgirl, I don't think any girls buy that magazine, you know, intimating whatever you will, and then he says, you've degraded the championship, which is a you know, it's a little close to home too, because, like I said, you can look at it as Brett saying that because Shawn's in Playgirl, and like doing immoral things. But you can also look at it as you've degraded the title in that it's not as right, it's not as prestigious as it was when I had it, and you know.
Speaker 5: It right and because you want it right.
Speaker 14: He's basically Brett comes right out and says, if you're not fourteen year old, fourteen years old and female, you were a step down essentially as champion, and h I kick your ass because I can, and Sean says, yeah. This is where Sean fires back, and I have a hard time believing that this one was arranged ahead of time. He says it with kind of like an annoyed tone. He says, I've seen you on the road, pal, and you're no role model. Wow, Sean bringing up you know, that's kind of like a preview of the Sunny Days comment in a lot of ways. Yeah, sure, So this is like the first to me claws out caddy kind of exchange between Sean and bretn on television. They'd had brawls, they had had cross words, but they always felt like they had more pomp and circumstance and blustered to them and sort of like promo over the topness whereas this one was kind of like, these guys are cutting into each other saying things that that it's not really business to to say those things about Sean.
Speaker 5: You know, it's it's not going to help.
Speaker 14: It might help sell the match, but it's not going to help, you know, Sean be perceived as as someone to be taken seriously as an n ring guy, and he's coming up on the Royal Rumble, and you've got Brett reminding people that gay guys look at playgirl. You know, I'm not sure this isn't actually a huge moment because these two. Yeah, but the point of this for our purposes this time is Sid comes out any screams you've played the game, I'm sure, He says, it's very simple at one point.
Speaker 5: That's another one. Yeah, simple, very simple. Yeah, it has to be real simple. It has to be Sid. I mean, they wouldn't they wouldn't hand you something complicated to say. Yeah, listen, you've proved that simplicity is the only way you can go.
Speaker 14: He says, I've beat you both. I need competition. And it's at this point December thirtieth, nineteen ninety six, this is the line in the sand. To me, the Undertaker's gong hits, and the Undertaker comes out, and they tease for the first time that Sid and Undertaker is a match you will want to see. Now, we've heard Bruce Pritchard say before that Sid Undertaker was always going to be at WrestleMania, but not necessarily for the championship, and that really tracks when you think about the kind of opponent they tended to match up Undertaker with at WrestleMania in that sure period. Sure, totally someone of his height and stature. It was Diesel, it was Jan Gonzalez, it was huge guys.
Speaker 5: And kund it was everybody.
Speaker 14: So I think we're within our rights to think of what we're seeing here is them setting up Sean winning the title back from Sid and wrestling Brett Hart at WrestleMania, and Sid facing Undertaker in a singles match, but knowing that a non title match, but knowing that it becomes Sid and Taker for the title. It's also easy to look at this raw and say, oh, they knew that that was going to be the WrestleMania thirteen main event months before, But I don't think that's what this was. I think this was them setting up a match for after Sid dropped the strap with no consideration of it being a match where Undertaker would win the belt, just because of the way it's presaged by the Brett Sean fight. That's clearly trying to set up and get you excited for Brett versus Sean on the other side, just fascinating stuff going on, all kinds of games. So Taker comes out, Vader attacks Hi, actually because Vader's going to wrestle Undertaker at Royal Rumble. Remember that, oh god, Vader pins Undertaker clean at the Royal Rumble, which is to me probably a make good for stepping aside in the fall and letting Sid take the center stage and the championship. And if you give a Vader Winter Undertaker, then it can come back and benefit him later. Of course, it never really did, No, it did not. It was a complete waste of waste of a match. But it is important to remember that the final rob nineteen ninety six has Sid and the Undertaker facing off and then Sean doing a big dive over the ropes to the floor onto Sid, and it's a big old brawl. We flip the calendar to nineteen eighty seven. On the January sixth, raw the first of ninety seven. As Sid makes his way to the ring. The signs and the crowd include one that says Sid enough said.
Speaker 5: If only that was the case, and no right, I mean it's funny on so many levels.
Speaker 21: On January the nineteenth, in San Antonio, Texas, there will be seventy thousand fans in attendance, cheering the hometown hero Sean Michaels, who will attempt to regain.
Speaker 3: The WWF title?
Speaker 5: Or are you that didn't sound positive in timid days?
Speaker 21: No about going into such hostile territory in San Antonio.
Speaker 11: See dear Ross, you haven't even got a clue because I intimidated by nothing.
Speaker 19: No man, then wolves, what we're standing in.
Speaker 16: Here right, here's what I consider the dying field.
Speaker 19: And inside this area.
Speaker 5: We'll be hidden hitting.
Speaker 19: The dick, We'll be dickings. I'm caso take.
Speaker 2: The camera.
Speaker 30: And hit someone before you were hit first.
Speaker 13: Told you wouldn't apologize me, man, good.
Speaker 16: Dying Seeing San Antonio Talamo Dome, everybody's gonna.
Speaker 3: Realize something dislike that scene that.
Speaker 2: Day I was born.
Speaker 3: I was born the man.
Speaker 16: See Sean Michaels, you, my friend, you can never have that clean I don't care, even if it's.
Speaker 7: In your hometown.
Speaker 16: So I'm gonna walk kidsto San Antonio. But the yards against me.
Speaker 2: I will walk in.
Speaker 7: The man.
Speaker 3: And I will walk out.
Speaker 38: Yes, Oh, look out the man. Oh I say this, does it, Susan? Because I am the master?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I am the ru the ruler. Blah blah blah blah blah. I get it. Well.
Speaker 8: That remained today saying I would suggest I remember said is not the underdog.
Speaker 4: John Michaels clearly is the hunderdog.
Speaker 2: Cannot learn about it.
Speaker 14: I somehow don't understand, don't remember or call boss when we were doing the Terry Funk Journey uh doing his interviews in succession and being like, oh god, here he goes again. I don't think a single time.
Speaker 5: It's like it really is. Know, it's impactful when he says it once in a while, but every time it's not good.
Speaker 14: Guys shouldn't even talk for like a month, you know, I know, you should only be brought to talk in an explosion of you know, intensity or something. Yeah, but I mean we're really seeing you know, his upper his upper limit, We're seeing his ceiling, and we forget this when when the guy passes away, and we, you know, think so fondly on the moments that he participated in that impacted us as fans when a week to week it was kind of a chore to watch him do his thing, even as WWF champion. So here there we are in nineteen ninety seven. Later, Sean comes to the commentary table and Sid says he wants to apologize for what he's going to do. He's someone apologize to you for attacking over Lithario. He wants to apologize for what he's going.
Speaker 17: To do to you.
Speaker 5: How aboudy apologizing to us for fucking awful promo? Oh he doesn't do that. Later on the show.
Speaker 14: I don't know if you remember this, Remember when Pete Lothario's son was backstage and said power bombed him on a table.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean Pete Lothario, Pete. I remember seeing clips of it. I didn't see it happen.
Speaker 14: Yeah, they played it up on the Rumol Landy seven broadcast as well. But it's on this raw or Pete Lothario's backstage and his cowboy boots or whatever, and Sid grabs him by the throat. Just an innocent bystander, right, to further exacerbate the the cowardly attacks that he was making on Lothario to get it Sean heading into. But then we have an inspired promo and come to find out there is a different approach to this one. This is a promo that Sid cut in an empty Alamo Dome to be the site of his upcoming match with Sean Michaels, and Sid is kind of contemplating on what's going to happen in these hallowed halls?
Speaker 5: Uh in just a in just a little while.
Speaker 14: And the thing about this interview that's different is Sid has said and shoots that this is pretty much the only one that comes to his mind when they ask him the question about you know, is it better now that guys are handed scripts to read on promos than it was before when they weren't. And he does say that this promo right here was the only example that he remembers a Vince handing him basically a script handing him, you know, the structure of what to say.
Speaker 5: And he liked it.
Speaker 14: He said, I really thought it was thought out well. It was something that at the time was a perfect interview for the right time for that show, and it was leaning up to the big show that at the Alamo with Sean. I was in that empty arena and I pretty much did word for word with Vince. They were that good all the time. If they were that good all the time, he said, I'd sit back and let them do all those all the time.
Speaker 5: But they weren't. And he said he had the luxury because he kept a lot of the inner material himself. Of being prepared, he says, he is always going to be prepared with something you know exactly. But Vince would say, you know, this guy knows his interviews. I doubt he'd say that. But he says, they let me look at one and say do you like this or what do you think? You know?
Speaker 14: They would bring material by him, and Sid says, if I had one better than that, they'd let me do mine. But he thinks of this one right here is one of the better interviews he did. It was laid out perfect. So if they come up with things like that, I'd say, that's what I let them do. I think a lot of times myself will have something good to say too, and so I think I'll listen to him in that instance. Well, you'd be the judge.
Speaker 5: This is Sid.
Speaker 14: Holding court, so to speak, under different pretenses and auspices. Ahead of the Alamodim MATCHICT Royal Rumble with Shawn Michaels.
Speaker 28: See over one hundred years ago, a great German philosopher. He said, in the act of fighting monsters and the procedure, be sure that you don't become a monster yourself. But in the Alamodome, I will have to be the monster.
Speaker 26: To take what is mine, to walk out the World.
Speaker 7: Wrestling Federation champion.
Speaker 26: And I think Sean Michaels would say the same thing.
Speaker 28: The battle progresses, and at the right moment, I reach out, shine and I have you by your throat.
Speaker 4: The look did you look gift to me.
Speaker 27: Will be obvious for over here it ring inside or be your mother, And once you will know that look too, and then all the way over here will.
Speaker 7: Be whole saved. He will know that look too, but this time he won't get on the apron.
Speaker 5: Because he knows better.
Speaker 39: And if someone told me that this section over here was gonna be nothing but your friends from your hometown, Seehan Michaels, but they will see that look too. And Jose, you are going to summon all the Mexicans from Mexico.
Speaker 11: And all above there, all above here, they will be seventy thousand of them.
Speaker 3: And even at the highest seat of the roof.
Speaker 26: That look, and that look, this says at all, this says Sid, You're a man.
Speaker 7: You're the master.
Speaker 14: And that was one several days out from the rumble, and then the morning of the Rumble on Superstars, this aired.
Speaker 40: No doubt, ladies and gentlemen, he is the most intimidating, the most imposing WWF champion of all time. At six nine, three hundred and thirteen pounds, indeed, he is an intimidator. But Sid, you're probably the only man that I can think of within thirty days to beat the Shawn Michaels at the Survivor series and then Brett Hart on December the fifteenth. In your house, Shawn Michaels, I talk to him earlier. Seems to be under obviously a great deal of pressure. But one would think, because you're in his hometown, that you too, sir, are under a great deal of pressure as well.
Speaker 5: See, you're right, Jim Ross.
Speaker 3: Everyone would have to say that the crushers on me. I am in your hometown, Sahn Michaels, I.
Speaker 5: Am the man, and the man feels no pressure.
Speaker 3: Let's go back to earlier today.
Speaker 27: Now, let's go back to Monday night roll when I said at the Animal Doome that the people would see it in your eyes were earlier today, Shahine Michaels, that was there that same and then I heard the excuses.
Speaker 5: I have few, I don't feel good excuses.
Speaker 9: Try to walk.
Speaker 11: Let's see Sehn Michaels at the Royal Rumbo when you enter the ring with me, then I finally get my head.
Speaker 41: Yeah, seventy suries. They will see the same look that you show.
Speaker 19: They will see the same look for fear.
Speaker 26: That you cannot be the man. Yeah, for I am the man, I am the master, I am the ruler.
Speaker 14: H Later on the Free for All, he came out with the belt resting on his shoulder before the people who had already filed in, and again apologized for what he was about to do. To sit in Jose Lethario and it's time for that walk boss to walk in to a packed Alamodome as w w F champion.
Speaker 8: Sewn Michaels, Ladies and gentlemen applauding this capacity crowd.
Speaker 4: And there, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 8: There is the man if you would, there is the World Rustling Federation champion. You can hear this capacity crowd beginning.
Speaker 4: To view booreadder what they are viewing on this massive screen.
Speaker 8: Yes, this monster and someone say this great champion on his way to the square chuckle.
Speaker 4: He has indeed dominating the World Rustling.
Speaker 8: Federation as highest medal, defeating Sean Michael's defeating brown Hark.
Speaker 4: And that brings us to this Jr.
Speaker 14: This is Vince with one last flourishing what chifontimidating.
Speaker 21: More dominating peynacal champion.
Speaker 16: Ever s.
Speaker 4: Oh, it has come down to death.
Speaker 8: Shacko said, has his fans as well, Harry, the all them all gone?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 21: Fans them all out the United States over thirty states?
Speaker 3: Brief or patres are here?
Speaker 2: Sacha said, Yes, we'll have a scamandery a fans. I'm sure they will be very much.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 32: You know what, this is a brilliant move by sich Go Sin because I gotta tell you this, Sean Michael's ego is so big it needs its own sip coach. And when he sees even one from these over sixty thousand fans, Jerry.
Speaker 6: Fer said, that could blow his mind.
Speaker 2: You can see Sean Michael snap.
Speaker 4: I'll just keep this in mind said apologized and the free for All. He apologize for what he has to do tonight and the last time he apologize. Pete Lethario went through a table.
Speaker 8: Sid World Rustling Federation in Champion defeating Sean.
Speaker 13: Michael Fanam Square Garden.
Speaker 4: Half the survivors are and.
Speaker 2: I know where are they all at all?
Speaker 5: For Sean, it's just so disappointing kind of how, I don't know, like, you know, he really fizzled so fast as an interesting, badass bad guy. You're not feeling it there, No, no, I'm over it. Really interesting, like he it's interesting. It's kind of funny that his his promo work and his intensity were much more easy to get behind before he was champion. Yet when he becomes champion, he's uh, like he just suddenly becomes utterly worthless. True. I mean it's so you know, and I don't understand what about what it is that makes that change. It's like you're giving the belt, but why do you become different? Why do you become why does it become such a buffoon?
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's it's interesting, you know, casting is important. Casting is a skill. Casting as an art. Yeah, and in wrestling, guys whore just casting in the correct role or they're not and you only realize when they're taken out of that role that, Okay, they're not multifaceted enough to play any role. They can't they can't adjust, they can't be like, Okay, this is what I used to say. But now that I'm the champion, what the fans, The way the fans are going to look at me is going to change, and so the way I express myself and relate to them has to change. In that I have to create interest in my opponent. He doesn't create an interest in his opponent. He just sort of says the same thing that he said. He's got to be the menace at the door. He knows how to do that, which is why I actually put a little bit of credence and care and asked joking about you know, when they were going to give him the Hogan spot in ninety one. He says, what you need is a big, vicious heel, because he knows that doesn't quite know what to do if he is the title holder, that that's not really how he put himself in a position and make more money than he ever expected in the wrestling business, earlier than he ever would have expected. He's going to keep doing this, and you know what you get with Sid.
Speaker 5: It's like Andre. If Andre had a title reign, you know, like, what the fuck is he going to say with the belt? Yeah? Yeah, I mean I guess you know, with Andre, you kind of have somebody else speak for him.
Speaker 14: But because Sid never had a program where his challenger was nipping at his heels and creating doubt, or a challenger who was in his facing, I'm taking that belt off you beyond Sean, which we'd already seen. We'd already seen the dynamic between Sid and Sean, right, but Sid didn't have a kind of run where he was able to prove that, like, no, I can spark interest in a challenger for my belt, and I know how to adjust what I'm doing and how I'm reacting to make this other person feel like they're rising to my level and that I need to be worried about them and therefore elevate them in the process. There really wasn't that. He just came out, to your point, said the same things he used to say now going into Royal Rumble nineteen ninety seven, as someone who was rather mortified at the crowd reaction at Survivor's Series nineteen ninety six, do you remember feeling like this was justice was done and all was right with the world again when Shawn wins and you know, storybook fashion, you.
Speaker 5: Know, when Sean won the title back, it actually felt weird. Yes, it did. It actually felt like it was I could only the only equivalent championship run that I can think of right now is when Flair won the title back in ninety two, because both Flair and Sean had lost the titles in such big fashion, splashy. Yeah, it just didn't feel like I couldn't. It was like, there is I don't feel it. I don't feel like they're champion anymore, right right, All it really.
Speaker 14: Did was kind of cheap, and the feeling of the first title reign like I kind of felt stupid for being as over the top excited that Randy Savage pinned mc flair at WrestleMania when Flair just won the belt a few months back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it just, yeah, I don't know, there was there was something about it. It just didn't I mean, I knew that Sean was going to win, you know, I mean it was such a foregone conclusion, but it just didn't feel real. Yeah, it felt like that whole those those few weeks that he held the belt again, it was just so like, Wow, Sean Michaels is champion again. It's so weird.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, it's I don't know what all what allegory to make what well, what the similar situation is. I don't know, it's it's an analogy is tough because it's like I'm trying to think of like in television, like you know, after a show Cross that jumps the shark. It's kind of hard not saying Sean jump the shark. But it's like, really, you just want us to go right back to feeling about Sean the way we felt before Survivor series.
Speaker 5: Right, and there was no you know, especially with Sean because he he'd been playing that that tweener character.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we we had an ambivalent feeling for a month towards him in Bivlin feelings Brett hadn't turned fully heel and yet he's he's he's trying to beat the shit out of Brett Hart.
Speaker 5: And yeah, you know, it was a weird.
Speaker 14: There was a weird kind of like dissonance going on with him because he still had to be the hometown hero because the show was in San Antonio. If The Road Rumble ninety seven was in fucking Indianapolis, I'm sure we wouldn't have felt so weird about this title win for Shawn Michaels. But he was making adjustments he felt he had to make after Survivor series, all while heading into a show where he had to be the Shawn Michaels he was before those adjustments, and when he wins the belt, it is kind of like, okay, where are we going now? Like am I supposed to feel like Sid is never going to get him? Try to get the belt back?
Speaker 16: You know?
Speaker 5: Sid?
Speaker 14: Just now an afterthought? Yeah, the matter was okay. He was one of Sid's better ones, But again it falls into that category. Even if you can think of big studio stadium shows that Sid was on, it's like what came of it?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 15: What?
Speaker 14: What's the legacy? Do people look back on that show and say, my god, did Sid rise to that occasion? No, it was just like he was window dressing almost in.
Speaker 5: A weird way. Though it does make me wonder, like what the fucking I mean, granted they didn't know where they were going, you know, there was so much change going on, but part of me is like, I wish they'd just let it, you know, let let Sid just stay champion. I wonder what that have happened. I mean, there were have been a lot of stuff that would not have happened that were crucial right in regards to really the future of the company. You know, like you wouldn't have had the Brett Hart Sid moment that we're highlighting here, yea, And.
Speaker 14: It's it is it turned out to a great moment, but really what it is, it's like if you're going to pick a show that that that fits a SID tribute and you'd already done Survivors series ninety six, this is his other title, Wind makes sense right.
Speaker 5: Right, But what I mean, it's it's like it's just what I'm saying though, is is it's like, it's it's just a you could I would have liked to have actually, you know, given how it all played out and given how weak it was that Shawn Michaels kind of wanted back. It makes me think when I would have liked to I wonder what it would have been like for Sid to go from Survivor Series to WrestleManias Champion, but so much would have been lost in that. I think we already got a little flavor of what would have happened. He would have just yeah, I mean, it would have sucked. It would have sucked. I don't think he would have gotten more exciting. I think, I mean, in a weird way, it's like, why the fuck did he you know, like why even give him the championship? Like why, I mean, I know that Sean Miami. I guess it's like it's a weird one of those things where you never really you know, Sean wasn't doing great and you need to get the belt off and to kind of, you know, let him be refreshed.
Speaker 14: But I think they really got the belt off him because they wanted him to win the belt in San Antonio, and it was like, yeah, whoever he crossed paths with the Survivor Series was probably going to take it off of him. That's what's always been my impression.
Speaker 5: It's just like, but why, Like it just seems I mean, I guess winning it back is a big deal, but I don't know, it just seems weird.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah it didn't. They didn't account before in that planning that the person who beat Sean at Survivors Series he would end up capturing the narrative, you know, and being the talking point. It was a bigger deal that Sid won the belt than Sean lost the belt, and I don't think they count counted on that at all.
Speaker 5: It'd be like Hulk.
Speaker 14: Losing the belt to Warrior. Yeah, it was a big deal Warrior won the belt, but it was clearly a bigger deal that Hogan lost the belt, especially in retrospect. This was not the case for Survivor Series. So during the course of the match, in the Almo dumb Sean hits Sid with a camera, a television camera to get revenge on that front and hit some of the chin music, and you know, they do the whole thing. The kid came home and he won the WBF title with mom and dad in the front row, et cetera. The next night on Raw, Brett's out complaining again because remember he got screwed out of the Rumble match itself when Steve Boston was kind of hiding out and threw him out at the ends. So he's complaining about everything to Vince McMahon at ringside and Sean about how Sean being on commentary at its time when he had a title shot against Sid was a problem and getting a chance at the Brumble and he won, but then Stone cold screwed him and the people were with him, and then he quits, and he quits in Vince's face right here on Raw the night after Royal Rumble, and Vince's you know, he's out there as the company owner, not just the announcer man.
Speaker 5: I thought it was legit. Do you really remember this? Yeah, yep, I thought it was legit.
Speaker 16: I was.
Speaker 5: And again, you know, I was so paranoid at this point, Oh yeah, of WSW getting all these guys, and so was Vince. I was like, right right, and it just freaked.
Speaker 14: Me as paranoid because he knew you as a lifelong WWF fanly paranoid out there. And so he's looking nervous, and Vince is like, Brett, don't do this, like under his breath, as if like he's like shooting with the guy. And then Gorilla non Soon, who is still WWF president, makes the fatal four way man event for the February pay per view, and Brett returns, he doesn't quit. He comes back on that episode of Raw to attack Stone Cold Steve Austin to hand him a little taste of his own medicine blindside Attack, and then they this is where they announced that coming up on this special Thursday, Raw Thursday, it's going to be Shawn Michaels versus Sid the rubber match for the WWF Championship. And to hear Sid put it, as we heard in the shoot interview excerpt, he was to win the belt back on Thursday Raw Thursday from Seawn. And you have Sean saying you know what, Yes, Sid, he gave me a shot after I lost to you. It's only fair I give you a shot after I beat you. And then suddenly Undertaker speaks up and he starts saying it's time that that title goes to the dark side, and he says I will now be the Hunter. So I feel like the night after Royal Rumble, it's now clear what WrestleMania thirteen is going to be. Yeah, and this is even before Sean tweaks his knee. I think they shifted from Shawn Brett for the title, SID Undertaker non title to sid Taker title. Sean Brett non title. That's what it seems like to me, because Steve Austin is still not on track to wrestle Brett, even though they're still beating the shit out of each other, He's interacting with Bulldog in such a way that it becomes clear that that's going to be the match. So here is Sid's promo before that, faithful as it turned out. Thursday Raw, Thursday broadcast. This is on February third, nineteen ninety seven. And what's significant about this edition of Monday Night Roboss. It is the first two hour Raw.
Speaker 1: Yes, give me the laps fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio and JP Sorrow.
Speaker 14: So again, Sid is in the crosshairs of all these changes that they're making and all these adjustments that they're making to their presentation, trying to catch up to w CW. And here's what Sid said on that first two hour Raw.
Speaker 21: Psycho Sid, I'm gonna ask you a question about the WWF canda before we do it. All started the Survivor series. You walked into Madison Square Garden and you became.
Speaker 13: The World Wrestling Federation Champion. And then in less than thirty days you went to West.
Speaker 21: Palm Beach, Florida, and you beat a legend and breadth they hit man Heart, but it all ended for you at the Royal Rumble.
Speaker 4: Fate is a funny game.
Speaker 21: So what I want to ask you right now in your gut, in your gut, said, what do you feel?
Speaker 4: What do you really feel personally.
Speaker 21: About the WWF champion? Sean Michaels.
Speaker 3: See, I've heard Shot say it himself. The relationship then that I have, it's a weird one.
Speaker 4: They can roller.
Speaker 11: Coaster up and down listally, physically and emotionally.
Speaker 3: You can say it's a friendship.
Speaker 30: Baby on the edge of madness.
Speaker 3: We'll say that.
Speaker 11: I feel safe to say that. Even Shine Michaels will agree that evil is just that it is evil.
Speaker 3: That's sometimes we mistaken it for happiness.
Speaker 30: Maybe in my case.
Speaker 5: Evil showed up its survivor serious.
Speaker 39: In the your case, Shine Michaels, maybe evil showed up at the roll Rumble.
Speaker 3: But when this roller coast, the ride is overshone.
Speaker 16: When it is over, it has time up and that has come down and the rod comes to a halt.
Speaker 2: In the smoke.
Speaker 3: Clears, I won't be standing the man. I won't be standing a man.
Speaker 2: In the Master.
Speaker 4: In the rule. Oh my goodness on Royal.
Speaker 8: In twenty seconds, ladies and gentlemen, we will speak with the tag team champions Bullog again.
Speaker 14: Oh so that's the last promo he does before Thursday, Raw Thursday. And you would think that, you know, it's always a question to me, like when was it clear that this was off the rails? When was it clear that it wasn't to be Sean versus Sin on the show, and that Sean fact only wouldn't wrestle on Thursday, Raw Thursday, but relinquish the title well as of the Superstars in the morning of.
Speaker 5: And this is not live.
Speaker 14: This is in the can so you can't read too much into it. But they didn't take the time to edit it out, which says, I guess something in its own way. Shawn Michaels is on Superstars the week before Thursday, a Raw Thursday, and has this to say about Sid and Man. Everything just seems on the rails this.
Speaker 37: Thursday Live at Thursday Raw Thursday, you are gonna have an awesome challenge when you defend your World Wrestling Federation title against the man you wanted from Psycho Sid.
Speaker 4: Well, you know something, Psycho sid.
Speaker 16: Was man enough to give Seawn Michaels a rematch after Survivor Series.
Speaker 4: So Sid, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Turn around and do you the same favor you did.
Speaker 16: Me, because Sid, there are four other guys here in the World Wrestling Federation that are just aching to get a shot at this belt. The World Wrestling Federation Championship as of late, has brought out the Monster and all the superstars of the World Wrestling Federation were show and he's ever been. It's made Stone Cold, much colder than he ever thought he could have been. It's named Vader, Well, it's Nde Vader Vader and now the man from the Dark Side feels like he has gotten the shaft one too many times, and the Undertaker now wants a shot at the World Wrestling Fedation Championship. And then, of course there is a hit man, Brett Hart, who, even though he quits on lot of TV, complains online TV, makes excuses on TV, does not want to be referred to as any of those things.
Speaker 4: So I won't do it. But regardless of what Prett.
Speaker 16: Says he wants to be the World Wrestling Federation Champion more than anything. I said, the question is who will go to WrestleMania to defend that title.
Speaker 6: Will it be you or will it be me?
Speaker 3: And on Thursday, Rob.
Speaker 16: Thursday said, the entire world on WA thirteen is gonna find out who the man is in the World Wrestling Federation and who the man is that will go to WrestleMania. And I want sid, I want the fans to the World Wrestling Federation, and I want those four superstars, and I want the entire world to know that there's been one thing synonymous with WrestleMania and the ma I WrestleMania over the last.
Speaker 30: Few years, and it's called not So the year.
Speaker 16: Candidate Heartbreak Kid Sewn michaels So said Cresh just short on Thursday, Wrong Thursday, you will get another chance at the World Wrestling Federation Championship. Shawn Michael's the Heartbreak Kid will be until he deems differently the World Wrestling Federation Champion.
Speaker 14: Yeah, until he deems differently. Indeed, I would love to know what the finish was originally supposed to be between Shawn and said on this show, sitting here realizing I don't know that. I know Sid was supposed to win it back, according to Sid, But how was Brett to interfere with Sean just going to go in there and lose it clean? I said, how doubt it?
Speaker 5: Sid was going to win it back anyway, That's what Sid said. It's very fucking It's very strange.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's almost like Sean agreed to it knowing it wouldn't ever ever get there. Yeah, it seems kind of bogus.
Speaker 14: But you know, all of that promo work they did, and the first thing you see when you tune into that Thursday Raw Thursday is Shawn is going to forfeit the belt. They make the announcement, It's like what and he comes out and he starts talking about, Yeah.
Speaker 5: What did you think when that happened? I was because like I didn't again, I didn't know.
Speaker 14: I mean, I was willing to believe that he had a knee injury, you know, I was willing to believe that just because he was so hard felt in the promo. It was like, yeah, this guy does not want to relinquish the belt right now. This is the worst possible time for an injury. Like this and that does happen, and he was limping like hell. It was only in retrospect that you had the cynicism because he never got surgery, although he's a serious surgery. And then when he comes back, like in June, he's backflipping all over the place. I remember remember that that raw where he wins tag titles with with Stone Cold. He comes back, has like a five star magic and Stone and he's like doing all these things to almost rub it in people's face that his knee was never really hurt.
Speaker 5: That was always my impression of it. Maybe, but it's just so weird, like I can imagine it's just a shocking thing that all of a sudden, Yeah, it seemed really sad. I bought into it for sure, because I just everything happen, like I said, everything happened to me, and such a such a a a it was such a big so much happened in so little time that I didn't really have a chance to process what it was like to experience that, like Sean Michael's just relinquishing the bell out of nowhere.
Speaker 14: It definitely it didn't I don't remember. And I was somewhat plugged into like online gossip about wrestling at that time, but it didn't really register with me as all, this guy doesn't want to drop the strap. It didn't because I didn't really have the context of knowing that they were going to go with Shawn and bretton the rematch at WrestleMania. It hadn't been made as apparent as I think people thought without reading the sheets, so it was like, Okay, this is this is a horrible turn of events. I don't even remember really going into that Thursday Raw Thursday having it really sunk in that he was going to defend the belt against sid on the show. Yeah, I remember even feeling like that was a key feature of it, but it was because they wanted to draw rating on an off night, and putting a title match of that caliber on there would probably be the best they could do to get that. And for sure he comes out, he starts talking about being told he can't wrestle again maybe, and they're chanting, we want sid in Lowell. They're jenning we want sid at the guy Jesus, And this is where a Grilla Monsoon announces that the final four winner at the pay per view will be ww champion. As a matter of fact, and what does this leave Sid? They ask, He'll get his chance Monday in Nashville, as they announced that Sid, in fact, we'll be wrestling the winner of the final four match for the championship on the February seventeenth raw. As for the third mass, absolutely so. Sean does the whole heartfelt speech, leaves the belt in the ring with Vince and says I'm going to go home now. And somewhere along the way, I lost my smile with the stubble and the tears and he looks like he hasn't slept and all that, and the main event of Thursday rought Thursday's mentioned with Stone Cold Steve Austin versus Sid, and Austin is rabid and they're chanting for Austin. You want some of the earliest kind of green shoots. Yeah, I'm sure the fans too are kind of like throwing up their hands like fuck, Like we were supposed to invest in Sean, We're supposed to invest in Sid. Look what's going on here? Austin's consistent. You know, Austin keeps showing up, kicking ass. Austin keeps showing up to an awesome shit on television. Well, we're with this guy. You know, if we don't know who to get behind, because shit is so impermanent, let's go with him. So he's out there, they're chanting for him, and Brett hits the ring and attacks Austin. And now it's very clear, I think, on the night where they have to grapple with the fact that Sean is going to relinquish the belt and not wrestle at WrestleMania at all, it seems like they immediately kick it into a higher gear between Brett and Steve Austin, and the decision is clearly now made, at least in my mind, that that's going to be a feature traction match at WrestleMania. Yeah, Breton Sid also tussle a bit because you got to keep the heat between those two because you know, the night after Final four it's going to be Breton Sid for the championship. So the Final four pay per view comes and we of course have done it in the archives. Is part of the nineteen ninety seven journey, and Sid was in fact on hand, even though he didn't wrestle on the show, but as telegraph there it's been told to the fans and everybody that Sid's going to face the winner. And here's some remarks Sid himself had to make at Final four in your house.
Speaker 42: Stee Boston, the undertaker of the man they call Vader, whoever wins, knows that tomorrow night they have to go right in and on Monday night, Raw face this man. He looks like he's ready to go right now, Psycho Sid a little bit more than twenty four hours away.
Speaker 4: That's not too much time.
Speaker 21: Time.
Speaker 3: Time is the one I did not want to air. See time way out for you, Seawn Michaels.
Speaker 11: And yes I am sad for you, but I did not get my SAIDs they get my belt back on Thursday nights.
Speaker 3: You see time, Sometimes it turns out to be funny.
Speaker 11: This time it's a regular old it's something different.
Speaker 30: So my time will come. Want to beginning?
Speaker 3: You ot a new time for Monday night.
Speaker 2: Row excuse me what.
Speaker 7: He'll be paid by the winner of the Final four?
Speaker 43: You have to make demand? Yeah, and then it is time. It is time to give me back what is mine? I am a master in the.
Speaker 5: New time he's referring to. Is they move Raw back? Yeah? I guess. But what the fuck man like he's he he just I don't.
Speaker 15: I.
Speaker 5: I mean, he definitely sounds psycholo.
Speaker 14: That now, But when he comes to that line again, it's like, oh my god, he's that's all he's got. He's doing the Master and.
Speaker 5: He just doesn't know how to fucking say a cohesive sentence.
Speaker 16: That was.
Speaker 14: That was one of the worst ones, as it was clear that he got direction to try to draw attention to the fact that ra'z going to move to nine to eleven if he had to head for two hours with Nitro instead of seeding that ten to eleven to them. But so bizarre Brett Win's the fatal four way clotheslining Undertaker out or was it Austin I don't remember.
Speaker 5: Now it was Undertake here. Austin was out early. It did a match where he was the first. He was the first one out, first one out right.
Speaker 14: It was elimination style and over the top to the floor counted like a rumble for god knows what reason.
Speaker 5: Well, remember it wasn't just elimination style. It had a number of things.
Speaker 16: It was.
Speaker 5: It was you could either win by tossing somebody over the top or pin or make them submit, and nobody did the pinner submit. It was just over the top rope. It was such a weird like it was very reminiscent of those of the of the Rumbles of No Mercy. Yes, you know where you could have the different the winning you know, or elimination combinations, but they never did any of them except for over the top rope, Yeah, which I just don't understand.
Speaker 14: That's if they re ran the Royal Rumble almost with just four guys. And so, of course Brett wins the championship here on the show, and Sid comes out at the end to confront him, setting up Nashville the next night Live on Monday Night Raw, February seventeenth, nineteen ninety seven. That'll be the subject of our deep dive here next time. And with that on the horizon, we're just going to quickly tie it up with a bow. What happens after that Raw as regards Sid and what becomes of the WWF title reign that begins the second one. The night after Final four, they go out to Berlin. This is the last edition of Raw that's not called Raw is War, and they tape television out there, including the European Tournament final where Davey Burl wins the belt from Owen to become the first European champion, and also on that show in Berlin, Sid as champion versus Mankind. That's pretty much the only time I think Sid worked mcfoley on television as champion. You're right, and here's what he has to say. I'm pretty much like, I don't know. It kind of feels like the only Raw where he was championed again before losing it, Undertaker, it really wasn't. But here's what he has to say on that on that Berlin edition of Raw before Raw well becomes War.
Speaker 4: Any other surprises you think man Kind's going offer.
Speaker 11: Listen to me, Mankind, I can hear you lost up.
Speaker 19: All your German language.
Speaker 7: But what you should have done, you should have gotten ready for the game.
Speaker 3: Because the game we play is simple to manor.
Speaker 7: Playing.
Speaker 16: I am the master, and you have to find out the hard way, because then you come another symbol.
Speaker 26: Of one of my many victories to WrestleMania.
Speaker 7: Do you, Undertaker, to the dark side, to the drug side? I go, and you what would come? Another police side of my victories? Because I am a man, I am the master. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 13: To take it vers of Psycho sit So many but man.
Speaker 5: God, last time we'd hear that raw music right there, that's trus track. That's true.
Speaker 14: And Vince Call, said one of the great WWF champions, on his walk to the ring to face mankind on this edition of Monday Night Raw. The next week, Raw is indeed War. They set up a new stage with a graded kind of rampway and a huge ass Titan Tron. They don't switch out the aprons though. The aprons are still that original blue with the white stencil WWF logo on it. Yeah, and they haven't transitioned yet to the Attitude Scratch logo. There's still the yellow kid friendly logo on the lower left. But the show is starting to look a little more intense. And yes, you remember the original Ra's War opening that they filmed with the explosions inside that fact, Oh.
Speaker 17: I love it.
Speaker 5: And they fucking they're fighting on the roof of Titan Towers.
Speaker 14: The roof of Titan Towers was the ninety five one, but I'm not sure this This was more like a factory. It kind of it pans down into like.
Speaker 5: They did both. Let don't have that one in two. No, I guess maybe you're a different one. But it's funny. Yeah, I mean it's all like it's all fucking metal, uh, you know, fucking steel cans exploding and shit and barrels, barrels.
Speaker 14: It's like the ones like les encampments would have fires in and stuff. Right right, you have these huge doors swing open, and Steve Austin is the choice for the guy to walk through those doors, and he's one. He's the one power walking as things explode and fire off. And there's like scenes of these stars being projected under the screen and barking dogs. And one of the things they did was put a bunch of guys in a ring with like fire everywhere and had them just brawl it out like this generic brawl happening, and Sid was in there with his leather vest, brawling with I think Brett Hart, and it was funny. For years after Sid left the WWF, he was still in that opening montage because he was part of that brawling scene. And tonight Ro's war on Peacock. Of course, the image of the show is bloody Steve Austin for Mestlemania thirteen, before that match had even happened in the chronology, So God bless those folks over there. But but you know, it's that's what Peacock's fault is. It is the fact that.
Speaker 5: You can't forget this. What was the original Raw is War theme song? It wasn't. It wasn't too many guns and not enough? What was it? I don't remember? What was Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson? Wasn't really remember that? Oh yeah, I do, I do, I do vaguely.
Speaker 14: Music that they had to pay for. And while it probably felt like a smart investment to get this new concept of Raw off the ground, pretty soon they stopped paying for it and went to the Raw is War that we would know for years and years and years during the Attitude era. But the problem is would that I think with that change over in the music, they also had to swap out the opening montage for the one that they created after they stopped using the Marilyn Manson music. So you go to these Peacocks Archives episodes before Steve Austin ever bleeds against Brett WrestleMania, and you still see that freeze frame during the open of Raw because they swapped it out on those Archives episodes.
Speaker 5: That happen.
Speaker 14: Looking at and like I said, who kicks off the first ever raw is war sid said.
Speaker 21: Psycho said, I understand that you have had several meetings with ww OF officials and that you are somewhat reluctant to join Porza's tonight with the Undertaker.
Speaker 16: What's the story, Jim Ross, You and everybody included must think of something kind of fool something. I'm gonna tell you something, Undertaker.
Speaker 30: I know when pull bears around it was mankind of vader. I smell something.
Speaker 5: Yes you do, see, yes you do.
Speaker 2: You'd be right in man.
Speaker 30: So what I'm gonna do is this I've thought of that I am not gonna fall for your.
Speaker 16: Trap, Undertaker, because of WrestleMania.
Speaker 3: You will fall victim have.
Speaker 16: Become another symbol of one of my victories as the World Wrestling Fairly said champions.
Speaker 4: Like said, refusing to join forces. That's the Undertaker.
Speaker 16: What you need to do tonight, Undertaker, and maybe even for the rest of your career, is you stay in the cemetery where you belong, because after WrestleMania.
Speaker 30: That's where I will put you once and for good.
Speaker 2: What about you? Oh, we are.
Speaker 5: Thirteen days away, once and for good, for good? What the fuck is wrong with him? How does he just get so stupid. How does he get so stupid and yet be such a smart businessman? Apparently? Yeah.
Speaker 14: So later on the show, Taker and Sid do team up. They end up fighting each other and there's choke slams, and this is one of the first times you see take Er do that huge dive where he clears the top rope. He does that really because everyone comes out right shake it up, and then Sid ends up power bombing Undertaker. So the hype is on for that WrestleMania main event on the March seventeenth, nineteen ninety seven Raw. This is a historic one. This is Brett Hart versus Sid in the cage for the WWF title, and they go back and forth about whether the match will be for the title that night. Guerrilla Monsoon finally decides yes, it will be Bretdheart's new motto in the World Wresting Federation. He says, you scratch my back.
Speaker 5: Well, what's the second half? Seems like there's a new motto in the World Wrestling Federation. I'll screw yours. You scratch my back and I'll stab yours. I'll stab yours.
Speaker 14: Jesus Christ, remember remember Sean walking away with a small you know tears running down his face and limping.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Two weeks later, he's back on Raw and he's not hobbling, he's not hobbling, and he's dressed like Don Johnson brought Miami Vice. I mean, what the fuck, guys, no wonder people said this. I mean two weeks later he's on Raw, prancing around and.
Speaker 5: Part of the mix.
Speaker 14: Part of the mix they're hype in WrestleMania, and he's standing there. He's in frame, So Shawn in play again. I'm sure they didn't even fucking know. But this is a famous one because they extend the window. Raw does an overrun like for the first time, and they do this usually controversial for the time angle after the matchup. But before we get there, one last promo as champion on Raw before he loses it to Undertaker at WrestleMania.
Speaker 5: Here is sid be Constructed.
Speaker 13: Psycho said, are you ready for Brett?
Speaker 4: They hit man Heart.
Speaker 11: Ready, miss big Back, go Stave Austin be Rediy, you asked out of my business?
Speaker 3: Did I know why you're here?
Speaker 30: And you would have to be a complete idiot to know what you're up to.
Speaker 11: But tonight I am going to take red Hawk and I'm going to power upon him.
Speaker 19: Right through the floor, and I will walk out the.
Speaker 3: World Wrestling Federation Champion.
Speaker 11: One reason why, because I am the man, and I am the Master, and I am the ruler of the world.
Speaker 14: So Sid hits the ring, takes a minute to admire that sparkling SID sign, which I feel like is such an underrated part of why he's so fondly remembered.
Speaker 5: Oh, I agree, I agree. That was huge because he you know, he actually uh, it's funny because the Warrior was doing that and then they gave it to said, Yeah.
Speaker 14: They probably just like took a few pieces off the Warrior's logo so it's spelled Sid instead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's true. That's huge.
Speaker 14: That's such a great entrance here with that thing, and Undertaker and Steve Austin are trying to get their man the title so they can go forward at Mania. Remember that that was like the I do you know if I do remember that wins.
Speaker 5: It was was so weird because, you know, because because the way that the championship was so sloppily done, not not I don't mean like in the way that but the fact that it was. It was you know because back in the day you know, they the whole thing was whoever wins the Royal Rumble faces whoever's champion, it doesn't matter, you know, you know, if if it's Brett Hart, doesn't matter, if it's Undertake, it doesn't matter. The winner gets the title match. But because there was no winner of the rumble, you know, the whole rumble scenario was so just wasn't valid anymore. It was interesting because it actually made it, you know, it actually made that possible where you know, where one the championship would then get, you know, they would have their match be for the title at at WrestleMania. It was very interesting.
Speaker 14: Yeah, your match was your match before they knew who the champ was going to be, right right, as opposed to one guy's going to challenge no matter who comes in champion. And so you have Steve Austin ironically trying to help Brett win the cage match against Sid so he could get a title shot, and you have Undertaker trying to help Sid so he could get a title shot. Yeah, and a big spot where Brett super plexus Sid, which is always a spot that they would do when they work together to get the people up, and Sid goes for the ride, and he does it for the industry. I mean, I'm not here at enough.
Speaker 5: That's true. There you go, that's what he does to look past the.
Speaker 14: Fact that Sid knew that taking massive soup plays off the top rope equal to half a star in the sheets and led to him being just a tad more worthy of spotlight and a tad more worthy of our desire to see guys that are too big to be taking flip bumps take flip bumps.
Speaker 1: It's the lapsed fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the lapsed fan. He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnaco and JP Soro.
Speaker 5: And so there it was. And then Brett tries, you know, you bump to take the bump, and you bump to bump right, and then sometimes you feed the bump.
Speaker 14: I don't think said would disagree with the single word you just said. And that's kind of the beauty of what we managed to achieve. Looking so closely at a career.
Speaker 5: Like this, sometimes sometimes you don't understand, and sometimes you have to bump. Sometimes you gotta bump to bump right, and on different times you know when you got a thing going on and you cut me people coming from you at all sides. Sometimes sometimes you gotta feed the bump and then bump to feed and things go different ways, up, down, all around. But time and time again, I've proven that's real simple, that it's real simple. A bump defines who you are as a bump master. I guess that's true. Yeah, if you're a bump master. Yes, bumps do define you. That is true, And it's time to feed at the draft of glory and definition.
Speaker 14: What a troll job that would be if they convinced the local newspaper that wrote a feature little bit for Sid that his nickname in wrestling was the Master's that's Sid, who is known in the industry as the bump Master for his ability to take amazing follows from awkward angles.
Speaker 5: The Revolutionary bump Master.
Speaker 14: Sounds like a discarded nickname for PN news or something. The Revolutionary bump Master, as he was known.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 14: So it plays out and Brett tries to get through the door of the cage and Undertaker slammed it in his face because he wants Sid to win, and as a result of doing that, Sid does win. So he retains the championship. The ring clears and Vince gets in the ring to do a postmatch interview with Brett Hart and he says, you know, Brett, you must be frustrated, and Brett goes frustrated. Frustrated is not the goddamn word for it. This is bullshit. First time ship had ever been said. I remember like watching this, like, oh my god, he just said that, like I was so heart in my throat when he did that, and then he shoved Vince, like whoa, he's actually attacking Vince, Like that's that's crossing a line we haven't seen cross before. And he says, if you don't like it, tough ship. And it's funny because Sid is uh having won the match, He's still up at the top of this new rampway and he's listening to everything Brett's saying, and Brett looks at him and he's telling him, you know, if you don't like it, I'm the champion. If you don't like it, that's tough ship to you. And Sid's pointing to Brett and if you listen to the camera picks up Sid saying something hilarious.
Speaker 4: Is it apologize takes a red.
Speaker 3: You are wrong belt.
Speaker 4: Apologized, takes a red.
Speaker 3: You are wrong belt.
Speaker 14: That hard lady, Sid, I don't know shit, ladies and gentlemen, witness said, when they let guys say shit un raw for the first time, first chance.
Speaker 5: He gets I don't know shit, cry baby, Sid, Sid wil it out.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I can't fucking handle it.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 3: He's so I don't know shit.
Speaker 14: I never told would say I don't know shit, like you know, and like in the moment, it's you get why he said it, But like somehow no one else ends up doing that to themselves, you.
Speaker 5: Know, no one else ends up suddenly complete.
Speaker 14: And utter fool Sid, all right, and what's the one with Nash does We'll get there, But it's in w C in the run to come, and he says something like, you know, you don't have half I have half the brain that you do. And he would try to patch that up and act like he was told to say that, like that was he was giving a script to say that, to make him sound.
Speaker 5: Oh no, dude, like it's just bad. It's just bad. He's such like you know, for every for every like you know, moment of greatness, he's got like eighty of just it exactly. And that's what we're here to do, is to do the math, right. I don't know shit. I'm a fucking to add that. That's when he really dug his own grave.
Speaker 3: You know what I do, Bret Hort, I stick my head in the sand and I eat warm.
Speaker 5: I don't know shit, cry baby. I don't file taxes like I'm supposed to a hot income. I'm a tax dodger. It's like what, I don't know shit.
Speaker 36: I don't live here, he says Russ Upple, I got to be on us. I don't know shit on just no Fianna Sausages.
Speaker 14: And Austin and Taker are tussling as well to end this episode of raw and uh, it's amazing. And this is also where Brett Deck's hall offimer Pat Patterson, that dirty son of it in Vince almost says son of a bitch on commentary because Brett laid out Patterson, who, by the way, absolutely had to be the agent that was crying for Shawn Michaels after Sid beat Sean. There's nothing pat loved more than to cry at Shawn Michaels. Uh famously. Uh, you know he agented the Iron Man match, and I would cry. And afterwards, you know, with Pat cries, he does, he'd let you know he cried. You know, that's like his way of remembering something as being epic. Oh, if Pat cries, it's a big deal. And he loved Shawn and loved you know, coming up with stuff for Shawn's matches and all that, So that would be my guess. Anyway, Brett Deck's Pat Patterson as well. And now Brett's well on his way to being this uber heel that elevates the uber the baby faced Steve Austin, and we're off to the races in that regard. And while this is all going on here in this final rob before WRESTLMINGI thirteen, Shawn Michaels himself surefooted as ever, comes out and surveys all the chaos and Sid makes one last walkers Champion, Ladies and gentlemen at the WrestleMania thirteen in Chicago, where he is to defend the championship against the Undertaker.
Speaker 5: And here it is.
Speaker 8: Sean and Michael's and Sean Michael's did you have those ghost bumps all over your body?
Speaker 6: With us man coming in a ry?
Speaker 44: Oh yeah, I love yeah, are you ready to take a walk on the dark side?
Speaker 6: Guests to night.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna happen when Yonder Taker's got my man, I'm coming in. I'll tell you what. Then you're in this building right now, I'm mounting that. Boys and girls, you can feel it.
Speaker 6: Something is definitely gonna go down tonight.
Speaker 8: And something I already has its spiking up. Something going down.
Speaker 2: Here he comes, she.
Speaker 13: Said, ladies and gentlemen, And he is the man, and he stepped.
Speaker 6: To the ring, and he speak.
Speaker 4: And then think about Ken said, if.
Speaker 2: He has time upbraid and I'm the dark and I know what.
Speaker 3: Sometimes back you, okay, sometimes you.
Speaker 6: Gotta be smart enough to be a plaid like see, I'm afraid of the dark.
Speaker 32: You know what I'm afraid of, Sean Michaels. I'm afraid you're a big liar. Why don't you tell the truth. You're out here for one reason. You're out here to try to do something the fight.
Speaker 2: Don't sit Why don't you tell a night not to out a chance?
Speaker 6: Not a chance.
Speaker 2: I'm here to watch fine, here's a rustling fan.
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm a gold year old boy against sitting.
Speaker 2: Here watching the sport that I love from the good scene.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in the front call.
Speaker 29: Theres I is said three sixty nine per team, the challenger six ten three twenty eight?
Speaker 13: What a nic will not be a technical master fee that's.
Speaker 5: Gonna be up come again?
Speaker 2: God mean who will follow his tenth?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 2: Will it be the five five?
Speaker 6: Or will it be the tenth?
Speaker 4: Don't tile Driver and Sean Michels.
Speaker 8: You've been in the ring with both of these individuals, and I would suggest that you know exactly what it's like if you want to receiving end of when them Psycho said power bombs is land matter?
Speaker 4: A duke got oh there it is?
Speaker 2: What he's the man? Is he enough?
Speaker 15: Man?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you what a lot of this has to do with's momentum.
Speaker 6: Stud has had momentum. It's an India those square card. No, I don't think he's had flu then on but the other night, dr night.
Speaker 2: I just played to the awards. You can tell that's the other day. A walk up there to receive.
Speaker 4: The war deck for award.
Speaker 2: Its fun.
Speaker 6: He was changing, beam was changing I well of first time ever. I don't want to write for much.
Speaker 45: I would not want to be in the ring, But either one of these guys, you're talking a whole lot of bunk, a whole lot of mass.
Speaker 6: You ready to get that.
Speaker 8: It's all about respect, is it not, Sean Michaels, and I would suggest, and certainly you respect Boom in the Miduels in the ring as well as they respect each other.
Speaker 28: Certainly.
Speaker 44: Oh yeah, I mean there are a lot of guys you're in a well ustling federation that it would sit in my.
Speaker 6: Chair right now and take the cheap shots to post these guys.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 45: I respect for Sid and I have my limited respect for the Undertaker. He's got ice water ring through his veins. You ain't gonna shake up the Undertaker, So you got to pay out some way to beat him, and it ain't ees.
Speaker 14: So it's wrestling Mania thirteen. Sid walks on to a big, big stage. I think we can say one last time in a lot of ways, well he sure got some people, I mean, events, WCW. It never quite felt like this again for Sid as he does the honors for the Undertaker and and you know, not before Brett comes out and gets involved like the bitch he is after.
Speaker 5: That, I know, I know seriously, like they just this is that. I mean, it's it's great to me. It was great because it solidified his heel status, but still is he is He is a bitch.
Speaker 14: He is a bitch for coming out after assaulting Steve Austin after the bell and passing him out in the sharpshooter and then taking the chair to his knee and all that. So he's full heel now flipping fans off on his way back up the aisleway, and then he comes out and tries to fuck with the WWF title match. So it happens, and Sid ends up getting basically hot shot across the top rope from the apron by an interfering Brett Hart and spins right around and to the end of his second and final WWF world title reign.
Speaker 8: The moment tivin dat w w F Champion is his drink.
Speaker 46: Maybe a love best going on in the arena, but that love is about to turn the rage. This man, the World Wrestling Federation Champion. Psycho Sid has defeated Sewn Michaels, he has defeated Brett Hard and tonight, Psycho Sid, this could be the most important night of your w WF career. As you meet the Undertaker letting go, You are right, my friend, WrestleMania is the biggest, the beat of the world.
Speaker 6: What's a year but.
Speaker 7: The night when darkness false?
Speaker 26: Every man, woman and child, Oh, he is scared except.
Speaker 2: For one person.
Speaker 47: Only one person is that scared of the darkness. And one person is not scared of the Undertaker. And that has me, my friend, the game.
Speaker 26: We plase, I am the master.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they already has.
Speaker 8: It's pigging up, something going down there. You come, lad and gentlemen, and he.
Speaker 6: Is the man who he sapt for the rag. We speak.
Speaker 2: And then they are hot.
Speaker 8: Like con said, if he has time up grade, I'm the dark and you know what, sometimes.
Speaker 6: I can work against ship. Sometimes you gotta be smart enough to be afraaid, Like, gee, I'm afraid of the dark.
Speaker 32: You know what I'm afraid of Sean Michael's I'm afraid you're a big liar. Why don't you tell them truth? You're out here for one reason. You're out here to try to do something that's not gonna sit.
Speaker 2: Why don't you tell him to about that?
Speaker 6: Not a chance, not a chance.
Speaker 2: I'm here the last five years a rustling man.
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm a twelve year old boy against sitting.
Speaker 2: Here watching the sport.
Speaker 4: Then, oh boy, I'm a.
Speaker 5: Good seats again. All about Sean in a fun ron.
Speaker 29: Theres I'm a said the six y nine treatmer ms the calender six ten three twenty eight on this that will not be a tend'tal master th.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a slick or knocker. There's gonna be who will follow his tenth the pass.
Speaker 3: Want to be the high bab or will it be the tents.
Speaker 4: Don't til driver and Sean Michaels.
Speaker 8: You've been in the ring with both of these individuals, and I would suggest that you know exactly what it's like to be on the receiving end of when mside goes.
Speaker 4: It's power bombses l.
Speaker 8: Matter a dum got oh there it is what he's the man?
Speaker 2: Is he enough?
Speaker 36: Man?
Speaker 6: Wan tell you what this has to do with momentum. Sid has had momentum since he med me in those square garden, and I don't like he's had from then on. But the other night, dry night, I just.
Speaker 4: Play the awards.
Speaker 2: You can tell as the other make a walk up there to.
Speaker 6: Receive more des for award and Fucting was changing.
Speaker 2: I'm moments changing.
Speaker 6: I'm well the first time ever. I don't want to wait for much.
Speaker 2: I would not want to be in the ring with either one of these guys. You're talking a whole lot of folk, a whole lot of masks. You're ready to get that.
Speaker 8: It's all about in respect, is it not, Sean Michaels, and I would suggest it certainly. Respect individuals in the ring as well as they respect each other.
Speaker 2: Certainly. Oh yeah, I mean there are a lot of guys here in the Love Vessel Federation that.
Speaker 6: I would sit in my chair right now and take cheap shots in both these guys. I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 45: I respect for Sin and I have no limited respect for the Undertaker. He's got ice water running through his veins. You ain't gonna shake up the Undertaker, So you gonna to fire.
Speaker 4: Out some way to beat him at it ain't he's here on in.
Speaker 19: It's a new set of rules.
Speaker 4: You're pretty showing me.
Speaker 2: Oh my, I can't remember last time Brett was anybody's friend.
Speaker 9: And you.
Speaker 5: You know, and I know Brett comes out before the matter.
Speaker 16: No, he said he's a compet dang that World Resident Federation shiff.
Speaker 4: You're suppel belongs.
Speaker 6: To me and you are fraud.
Speaker 4: Well it looks like.
Speaker 39: You know it.
Speaker 26: I know it.
Speaker 20: And every single person in this building, whether you're here, we're outside of TV man, you all know that I am the pestor is the pestor was and the pestor of a.
Speaker 30: Wilber said, I'll read that.
Speaker 4: And now you're getting beat up because you're big mouth.
Speaker 5: Oh prop hard power.
Speaker 13: After that submission match, let's not put him in a bad way.
Speaker 19: Do you take your side?
Speaker 5: Yeah's amazing Ron.
Speaker 4: Hart, who was technically a winner.
Speaker 8: You may say technically because Steve Austin never said he said he will.
Speaker 4: You never hear the words I quit, and we never ever did.
Speaker 11: Hold along time lady, because why did the din you hear ass We.
Speaker 33: May tell him.
Speaker 4: They chip out of watchings.
Speaker 44: Anything can happen, and it usually does. It's just the rest of us don't warning about it. Just he does, regardless of the undertaker is Hall. Steve toughslam f Tough slam SA.
Speaker 10: Said, what.
Speaker 2: Are you baby?
Speaker 4: There no no well cover I can man.
Speaker 6: Coming believe the.
Speaker 21: Water sat tech tou They got the right seer up if you can watch have a leave that.
Speaker 8: Set in the undertaker fuck man back up on their feet, repurt. So now I'm gonna take her off the ropes from the other side, under take.
Speaker 2: Her in there.
Speaker 21: Set, I'm going to the contact there say it saw im come, I'm gonna move by said, I'm undertake your way for the flying clothes on against Sid ducked.
Speaker 2: Out of the way.
Speaker 8: And a sea saw matchup for the World Rosstak Federation Championship.
Speaker 2: And here we are.
Speaker 35: Power power.
Speaker 5: Shure ho run your fam Come on, Pratt.
Speaker 4: Doesn't he ever had time?
Speaker 5: Rda tombstone?
Speaker 20: Tombstone, He's as time.
Speaker 14: And so the title reign that said is over, but our examination of his title reign has one leg to go. The next time, We're with you on t LS tribute to Sid we deep dive the February seventeenth, nineteen ninety seven edition of Monday Night Raw, where Sid captures the belt for the second time. We'll see you then, biting announcement.
Speaker 1: As a tej Tosantus production, its contents is intended for private use only.