Speaker 1: Sword and Scale contains adult themes and violence, and is not intended for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener of discretion is advised.
Speaker 3: First of all, when you told me that he transported a dead body, that should be your first clue.
Speaker 1: This is Sword and Scale Season thirteen, episode three, sixty four show that reveals that the worst monsters are real. It's cute how some of you think that people are just these docile little sheet these sweet little babies that won't do anything to harm you. It really is kind of cute, almost like a thing you have to do to make yourself. Okay, it's better than the alternative, I guess. In a small pocket of Fleming Island, Florida, there was a group of women. They called themselves the British Club. This club was a collective of sharp, dry witted ex pats who met every week to talk about one thing. They all shared their home in the UK. But in October of twenty nineteen, one of the members of this British Club went missing. She was a sweet old lady, a sixty five year old widow named Sue Maldon. One of the ladies the club hadn't heard back from Sue in two days. Her phone kept going to voicemail, and the landline rang and rang, So she sent her husband to Sue's house for a welfare check. Inside Sue's clean, quiet, home, not a thing was out of place. Her blue cotton gardening shorts were laying out waiting to be worn. Her car was in the driveway, her purse in the dresser. It was as if Sue and her cell phone had just vanished without warning. Neighbors confirmed they hadn't seen Sue outside in a few days. She was an avid gardener and was always outside weeding her yard. Sue's loyal friend in the British Club called the police. Something was terribly wrong.
Speaker 4: Oh right, how don't need you.
Speaker 5: Guys know miss Susan since nineteen about ninety nineteen ninety eight, two thousand and one.
Speaker 4: How long has Susan been here and united?
Speaker 5: She's been here about twenty four years two thousand and one, and she was about three or four years before us, so twenty four.
Speaker 6: They came from New UK four.
Speaker 5: Her husband passed a worry about we think John nine ten years ago, but they both came over together.
Speaker 1: Of course, Sue had been in Florida for almost two decades. Her husband had tragically died from throat cancer only a few years into their move to the USA. So the women at the British Club were like family to Sue. She had no children, no relatives close by. Her British ladies were everything to her.
Speaker 6: You guys know of any doctors that she visited frequently or therapist for her ankle? No, I don't know that that's over.
Speaker 1: She wants to get an injection in a show to.
Speaker 5: That Riverside, Yeah, over Riversids maybe Riverside Pain Clinic.
Speaker 6: With her is that she was at the base.
Speaker 3: She went a lot to the base because he was retired.
Speaker 6: So she struggled with quite a lot. That's what she calls.
Speaker 5: You say, I can't lift this or I can't do that canyon. So we popped around and do whatever it was. And she couldn't start a lawnmore start at four and just little things, you know.
Speaker 1: Though Sue was a social woman, her arthritis gave her more and more trouble with each passing day. She still tended to her flowers, made quilts, and kept up with her British girls, but she needed help with little things like moving heavy boxes, her revving up her lawnmower, Without a husband around, she was on her own to hand all those tasks that kept getting harder and harder as you age. Since Sue's phone had been switched off, the police couldn't ping it. Her place was spotless, not a sight of a struggle or a droplet of blood. They had to rely on clues from her friends, and they were desperately chasing down anything they could.
Speaker 7: I heard somebody told me I can't figure any truth through, and so I'm trying to ask you guys. Was there a boomer or a taxi lady that she called often to use, mainly just through her through drinkive.
Speaker 3: Not that I know.
Speaker 6: Anything, but that I heard.
Speaker 5: They were either arrived with one of the English ladies or she would drive herself.
Speaker 7: So it's it's very rare for her to be gone from her house in her car.
Speaker 6: Still be there. Well, definitely.
Speaker 1: The ladies told the detective that Sue was a responsible woman. She let them know where she was going and what she was doing doing. She wasn't on social media, and though she tried a dating sider too, nothing had stuck. The most eventful thing that had happened in her life recently was the loss of her beloved cat. But all that meant was that she was now free to travel next year. But she was happily planning if.
Speaker 7: We can literally think that anything that we're missing, or you know, the smallest thing could end up being important.
Speaker 5: So well, the only thing that we know that the guy that was supposed to be during her bathroom.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the thing. That's the only thing that she was having problems with it. She gave him the money and then supposedly he.
Speaker 5: Got sick or hurt, never came back, started a job, got a bunch of money off of her.
Speaker 6: What did you say, It was about toil grand. That's about twelve grand.
Speaker 1: Aside from the death of her cat. Sue was having her bathroom remodeled, and apparently she had been having issues with her contractor.
Speaker 6: And the stories of him not doing her work so bizarred. They were love all that we.
Speaker 8: Almost left with her about what's gonna say now?
Speaker 5: Well, remember well it was just a yeah he was hurt, sorry, couldn't work as your therapy.
Speaker 6: Then there was a death in the family.
Speaker 3: Let's go and see a lawyer because he's getting a divorce.
Speaker 1: It turns out that most of the British club had heard about Sue's rogue bathroom contractor who was putting her through the ringer.
Speaker 3: I really didn't know the whole thing.
Speaker 8: I kind of knew that she was going to have some tire work done by this guy because I know a house had flooded an insurance paper and he kept putting off doing the work. And you know, he said, Sue because she gave me my check.
Speaker 6: I don't know if this is helpful or not.
Speaker 8: You know, he said he was out of town, he said, I think he said that he had a family member sick out of town, and then he came back and then he said, oh, my truck broke down. And as far as I know, that evening, because I spoke to a couple of the girls, she was gonna apparently either confront him or she was going to get money from him, or he said he would do something. So because I said, to have you sorted out, and I'm hoping I'll get it sorted out next week. The thing about Sue is she seemed to trust everybody you know she handed I mean, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't hand a man a check or anyone woman do work for me before he's done it. But Sue's the kind oh he said he would, you know type thing, So she was trusting. So I don't know. Has she obviously you've checked if she used a passport or anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anything that you could probably think of. We're looking into it.
Speaker 3: Now. Does she have a phone with her?
Speaker 1: The detectives were suddenly getting fragments of this story. Sue's contractor had flaked on her, leaving her twelve grand in the hole, and she needed to sort things out.
Speaker 8: And if I could think of it before you come get thinking, have I heard anything? And I thought, I really haven't, except for the guy that's about it. You know, he might be as innocent as you know.
Speaker 5: That's kind of what we're doing, is make sure we're going to get television on one thing or anything, any whatever we can do that could give us a percentage chance letter to find her.
Speaker 4: That's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: It wasn't hard to find Sue's contractor. His real name was Corey Bendram. He was a forty four year old husband and father of two girls living in Fleming Island, Florida. And he looked exactly like that somebody's dad, the kind of man who knew drywall better than most picture Tim the tool man Taylor basically detectives located him on a job site and started chatting. Corey was forthcoming. Yes, he'd been working for Sue Malden. In fact, he was at her house just a few days ago to get everything sorted because he knew she was unhappy with the progress of his work.
Speaker 9: He went inside and went over the contract.
Speaker 6: What it was.
Speaker 4: This contract was going on for a very long time.
Speaker 9: I demoed the back of the guest capital and I was supposed to be people started all the guest capital and a showered up the side out had take over of her toilet up there, and it was She took matemath and a half to pet it up with how she wanted. She bought and I went and got it and delivered it. And then it came time to talk about tub and fixtures and all that. She just couldn't make a decisions, So gots forward. I would take the job there between, and then she was frustrated that I couldn't spell over right now and she was ready, and so it just got to the point where it was just better for both of just refundmenturer money.
Speaker 4: I went about by way she thought something.
Speaker 1: Corey's explanation made sense. He said that on the morning he went to Sue's place, she invited him in and they went over all the details on the cancelation of their contractor client relationship.
Speaker 9: And so we went through the you know, the paperwork, and I wrote that check, and I had some stuff still there. I had I had a tool bag with some plumbing tools. I had been with some plumbing tarts, and then there was a trash back still there, so I loaded that in my truck. She held the door forward.
Speaker 1: Corey said that he wrote Sue a check for the money he owed her. He showed the police the receipt from a check just over twelve hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was twelve for the whole.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't take any money for labor.
Speaker 1: Corey said. Sue's friend was mistaken. The amount was twelve hundred dollars, not twelve thousand dollars. He didn't take any upfront cash for labor. Corey's story made sense. Sue was elderly, maybe she'd gotten the number wrong and spread that information to all her friends. Corey was cooperative and calm. He shook the detective's hand and said he would be there if they needed any additional help.
Speaker 6: Well, I appreciate your timing.
Speaker 4: I mean, if there's anything, I don't buy it.
Speaker 10: You know, that's good to know, he said to just at this point, you're the last guy that helped.
Speaker 4: Check as.
Speaker 3: Ye give me.
Speaker 4: I mean, she she's very lovely.
Speaker 1: Detectives went back to Sue's house to look around to see if there was anything out of order, anything they missed, anything to suggest foul play. That's when they spotted it, a tiny pinprink of blood on the living room floor. How could they have missed us? The detectives brought in luminol and suddenly the house lit up blood that had been cleaned up in the kitchen and on the lamp shades and in the hallway. Now the detective knew this wasn't a rogue elderly woman who went missing. Sue had died in that house, and they needed to find out how. Sixty five year old Sue Malden had mysteriously disappeared from her Fleming Island home in the fall of twenty nineteen. If it hadn't been for her social group, it could have been weeks before anyone noticed the widow was gone. Sue had an uneventful life, but as police pride, they found out that she'd been in a dispute with her contractor, Corey Binderham, who she'd hired to remodel two of her bathrooms. After talking with Corey, the police secured school bus camera footage that showed his truck at her house the morning he said he visited her, but Corey assured them that he was there to return her money and settle their differences. He said she was alive when he left. Then the police found blood at Sue's house and Lumanol revealed a possible clean up job, but with no trace of Sue. These were all just theories. Corey had to be further investigated. There was something about corey is too cool demeanor, his friendly affect was it Reelder? Was this all a put on? There was one woman who knew him, perhaps better than his own wife, and her name was Leanne Locklear.
Speaker 11: My name's Leanne. I am a dispatcher and then I own an appliant Shirpeer company. I worked a lot of jobs always, and one of my jobs was I was a bartender. And that's actually how I met.
Speaker 1: Corey Leanne is a single mother who runs her own business, but back in twenty nineteen, she was bartending at a local spot that Corey liked to frequent after work. They became friendly, like bartenders and regulars often do, and after he fixed a door in her house that needed replacing, she invited him out after work one evening.
Speaker 11: He came into the bar. You know, he just joked, He's like, how's your door holding up? You know, He's like, oh my god, it's great, it's great. Thanks, it's phenomenal. I really owe you big time.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 11: He had a few drinks. I got off early, and some of our other friends came up there that we hadn't mutually in common, and then we all just went out for the night. You know, we went out drinking. Had to blast. You know, you realize he's a really cool guy. He fit in with the group really well. And that's really what started our whole friendship. Was he'd be like, Hey, what are y'all doing tonight? We're like, well, this is what we're doing. Do you want to go? And he'd show up or he wouldn't. He wasn't like the person. It came around starting problems or I think he was just super chill.
Speaker 1: Leanne learned more about Corey and his life as they spent nights out drinking together. She knew he ran his own business and had a wife at home. It always struck her as odd that he was hanging out with her and her friends as much as he did, seeing how many responsibilities he had in his life.
Speaker 11: And I used to ask him sometimes when we would all say out really really late, and I'd be like, you don't get in trouble when you go home, like you've been out a whole night. He's like, no, she doesn't care. He's like, cause as I don't drive drunk, and I'd get home right after the bar's clothes. I got She's usually okay with this, she doesn't care.
Speaker 1: Leanne and Corey developed a strong friendship, and soon it developed into something more.
Speaker 11: Of course, you know, being a single mom, you're always looking for extra work. So I was bartending, I was an appliance, says, I was doing a little bit of everything. I don't even remember how it got brought up. Actually, he said something about he's like overloaded at work, and I was like, well, if you need some help, you know you know, call me, I'll come help you. I need to make extra money. Like I'm in totally down, and he just randomly, like two days later, hit me up and he was like, hey, do you want to work tomorrow. I'm like, absolutely, get me out of this house. I'm going crazy. So we started working together and then he started, you know, my birthday party, he was there, and you know, he just started being in everything involved that was going on in my life.
Speaker 10: At that time.
Speaker 1: Leanne started working with Corey on his home remodels. She was happy to learn a new skill and make some extra money and whe her buddy no Less.
Speaker 11: Yeah, working with that was great because you know when you're really good friends with somebody and you're gonna hang out all day, it's like, oh, it doesn't even feel like work. So it was all just home improvement stuff. And every customer we worked for really acted like they knew him forever. And I guess that was just the demeanor he put off with him. We didn't have standard hours. It wasn't like eight five. He'd hit me up day four and day I don't pick hip this time he'd picked me up. I'd work three or four and then we were at the bar drinking beer. So it wasn't like her job or a very demanding job. Is actually probably one of the easiest jobs I had.
Speaker 1: Leanne saw Corey a lot. If they weren't working together mudding drywall, she was serving him a beer at her bartending job, or they were out till the wee hours of the morning partying together. She got to know him really, really well and became a confidant in his life. Hey, I thought that's what a wife was for.
Speaker 11: But yeah, we were definitely close because there was times like him and his wife would have an argument and he would just call me he bakely and she's really mad at me, and I was like, well, what'd you do? You know we would talk about and I'm like, all right, we'll just go get flowers and tell your story. I just don't do it again. Or he would tell me what was going on with the kids. So it was definitely like another you know, another brother that you got that she got to sit here and go, oh my gosh, don't do dumb stuff, you know, be a man and fix it. So he was definitely like one of my brothers. And yeah, I definitely think that we were very close at that time.
Speaker 1: Corey and Leanne were busy, and she knew that there were jobs he was going out on alone. After all, she had her bartending job and several other side hustles. On one job, Corey and Leanne were using a jackhammer all day, and the next morning she woke up unable to move.
Speaker 11: I tore my rotator cuffs, so I called out of work. I don't remember if it's Wednesday or Thursday. I told him myself, I can't work. I'm gonna go to the hospital and get this thing checked because I've definitely tore something.
Speaker 1: Leanne went home and rested, but called Corey the next day ready to get back at it.
Speaker 11: Well, then the next day when I'm like, okay, I'm at the hospital. I can work.
Speaker 3: I just can't.
Speaker 11: I can't do the jack hammy Moore. I gotta do light stuff, He's like, all right, I'm going to pick up in the morning. At this time, but you could tell you it was very frazzled, like kind of like when my anxiety gets high, like I'm all over the place and very spastic, and you could tell he was the same way, like very spastic. He's like, I'm picking up tomorrow. This time, and I was like, okay, So he didn't show up, and you know, I'm blowing his phone up and I'm like, bro, where are you at? Are we not working today? If or not, I'm going back to bed, but I don't want to go back to bend. And then you'd be like, oh, where are you at? Are we working or not? And he's like, yeah, I'm howm and I just got on some errands.
Speaker 1: Corey arrived late, and when Leanne got in the car, she wasn't greeted by the same old Corey. This guy was distracted and distant. But aside from that, there was something even more glaring. Corey's truck, which was normally filled with trash and tools, was spotless.
Speaker 11: Because I was like, hey, you got the truck cleaned? I says about time. I said this thing was disgusting, and he's like, yeah, I ain't got it all cleaned yesterday, and you know, like nothing's wrong, but you could tell his mind was not. Like he's driving and he's just staring at the road instead of our casual let's talk shit and have conversation. He's just so focused on the road. His hands are still around. He's just very focused like, do you tell someone's bothering him? So I was like, well, maybe he got himself in trouble with the wife again, or you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Leanne and Corey worked all day, but there was no fun banter, no laughing, no inside jokes. Corey was focused with his head down and his mind elsewhere.
Speaker 11: And then he took me home. That was it. We didn't have a long day righty day. We didn't go to the bar and have drinks. We didn't go somewhere cool and eat lunch and talk to Mack. You know, we didn't do any of that. It was like, I gotta go.
Speaker 1: This all happened the week Sue went missing, but Leanne didn't know that. In fact, she'd never worked at Sue's house. That job was one of the ones that Corey handled alone. At that point. No one was connecting the dots, not yet anyway. The detectives didn't want to get tunnel vision. As they put it, Corey wasn't an obvious suspect. He was a business owner with a family. His daughters were successful, with one away at college. He'd been married for decades. On the surface, it looked solid and stable, the kind of life that didn't raise alarms. But then they met with Sue's close friend who wasn't in the British Club, and she gave them a list Sue her off had written. It was a detailed diary of notes about the months long back and forth between her and Corey, and this list from Sue changed everything.
Speaker 4: Other than here, What all has she told you about that contractor.
Speaker 3: Everything that's there? I mean at all. I can't even remember exactly when this job was supposed to have started, but I know it's been going on for months. Okay. So I like Sue and I met every generally every Wednesday at her house. Okay, she was retired. So I leave from here and go down to her house every Wednesday at noon around anywhere between eleven thirty to one thirty somewhere in that time, for an hour, and every week she gave an update on I called him Jack Rabbit. Okay, she came in update on him, and then we talked several times through the week. Okay. So, and I kept warning Sue that there's an issue.
Speaker 1: According to his friend, Corey had lied. He told police he never took money upfront for labor, but she confirmed he'd taken far more than twelve hundred dollars from Sue. Then he gutted her bathroom down to the studs and just stopped. When Sue asked when he'd return, there was always an excuse, a sick relative, a looming divorce, even a bizarre story about having to transport a friend's deceased family member for a funeral.
Speaker 3: I said, Sue, first of all, when you told me that he transported a dead body, that should be your first clue that that would be an issue. Nobody takes a dead body unless they're in that business. So when he said he had to go get a family slash friend's body and transport him from one state to another state, the reason for him not showing up for a while with you, there should be in your clue that somebody else needs to be involved. I said, I've never heard of that in my life where you could take a dead body unless they die in your car and you're taking them to the hospital.
Speaker 1: As Corey's excuses became more and more alarming, she realized she may need to find someone else to finish the work he had started.
Speaker 3: Sue was very strong willed and confrontational. If you got in her face. She can be that way, okay. So she said, well, feel you know, he's the best at it. And he came and showed me all the pictures of what he can do. And he actually showed me that, and he gave me the contract where I had to give him the whole total job was supposed to be nineteen thousand dollars okay, and he needs twelve granted that up front, and within three to four weeks or two to three weeks whatever, I think, he could have my jobs done. The bob was to be a guest bathroom in the hallway and her master bedroom a bathroom in the master Both of them were to be redone completely. Okay.
Speaker 1: Corey did have credentials, and he had worked at Sue's house before. The whole reason she'd hired him was because he was a subcontractor on her kitchen remodel. She already knew him. Sue may have been strong willed, but she was a trusting and fair woman. Even though her friends all warned her something wasn't right, something was a little you know, off about this guy. She wanted to give Corey a chance to finish what he started.
Speaker 3: So then he came in one day. Every time he's supposed to show up on oh sorry, every time he's supposed to show up on Monday, he always text her, you know, back and forth they text okay, he'd always text her with a new excuse, so he never really could show up. But one day, just a few weeks back, he shows up and he goes in her house and he tells her how good she looks that day? Okay? And how old are you, Sue? And she said, I'm sixty five, just turned sixty five, are going to turn sixty five? And he said, man, you look good. Are you widowed? And she said, yes, I am. And he said, well, he said, man, you're looking good. He said, one could I get alone? She said, I alone? Corey? You got twelve grand of my money. I have no money to give you. You've done nothing for me. Now, this is her story to me.
Speaker 1: That was the final straw. Sue firmly told Corey no, she'd already given him more than half of the cost of the entire job up front, and he wasn't getting another penny.
Speaker 3: No. Oh. He just told her, I'll go to the bank and get alone. That was his attitude after he kind of turned the other direction and left her. So that's what happened at that point. So then she told me that week, sometime during that week, I feel I'm really uncomfortable with him now, I said, Sue, I told you, I think there's an issue here.
Speaker 1: The police now knew that Corey had lied to them about the money. They were able to track all of this with Sue's bank accountant checkbook, so they returned to Corey asking him if they can look into his storage unit where he kept most of his construction supplies. He opened up the door and the police let their canine dog roam the small, stuffy space. The dog popped his nose in and out of every shelf, every box, every random paint can. Then, when he got close to Corey's tool bag, the one he had with him at Sue's house, the dog started barking freaking out, alerting them of decomposition, but the cops didn't tell Corey this. They thanked him and they left. A few days later, they showed up at his house with a warrant for his truck.
Speaker 13: Here's the dude, Obviously, I talked to you before about this whole thing, and we've been following up because we still haven't found her, okay, Susan, So we don't know where she's at.
Speaker 4: So you're checking boxes, checking boxes.
Speaker 10: That's what I'm doing, going through and making sure what can I.
Speaker 4: Do to what do you need?
Speaker 10: So what we need is your truck because your truck was the last one at the house.
Speaker 4: Okay, as far as you need, I don't. I don't know. Gosh, they want to take my truck.
Speaker 10: Well, let me finish okayish, let me finish off.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, let me get the keys.
Speaker 10: It's okay, we're going to take a truck. I have for it, so coming with us. I'm just trying to like to know what Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Corey played it cool. He said he had nothing to hide, and his wife repeated that from behind him.
Speaker 10: I know you're in construction. You do all sorts of construction stuff, got all sorts of Nixon scratches, all all of you. I noticed the other day when I talked to you, had one on the inside of your arm that looked pretty fresh, right here above your tattoo, right here. What's that from?
Speaker 4: I do de worgas from all kinds of stuff?
Speaker 10: Would you be okay if I took a picture of it real quick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, fine, it'll be awesome.
Speaker 3: You got a.
Speaker 4: Cassie.
Speaker 14: Then I want to take pictures with my arms?
Speaker 12: Can I take?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 10: Are you okay? When you think of picture of you arm?
Speaker 6: You know what you have to do.
Speaker 10: You have to ask your why?
Speaker 4: No, I mean that that doesn't upset me? You consider that's fine? Yeah, take all the pictures.
Speaker 10: Take a picture of him purs so we know whose arm it is.
Speaker 1: On the front lawn of his suburban neighborhood. More cops began showing up with their paperwork, cameras and a police tow truck. Corey was slowly becoming the neighborhood spectacle, and his easygoing persona started to crack.
Speaker 4: All right, well, while we're.
Speaker 10: At it, so we can eliminate it, and then maybe I don't have to talk to you again after this in any way, shape or form, since you look like you want to cooperate and I want to believe everything, you mind if we take a DNA slample and eliminate you because you have been in the house, that way we can wipe that.
Speaker 4: You're okay with that?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 10: So what I'm gonna do is get a tow truck to come over here, because I don't want to drive your truck.
Speaker 14: I would prefer if you drove it. But now that all my neighbors have seen this, I guess it really doesn't matter.
Speaker 10: Then I'm gonna get a CST to come over and just do a quick slob. That'll be an elimination one, and then that'll probably be the end of it. I'll get your trip, I'll get your truck back to you, and then we'll be done with it.
Speaker 14: Right, my system, my DNA thing prints, everything's already okay, perfect.
Speaker 4: Can you get your keys from me?
Speaker 1: Then Corey kept repeating that his prints were in the system, as if he was trying to say the thing the cops already knew out loud so that he wouldn't be caught lying. Because even though Corey Benderham had been a decent citizen for most of his adult life, there was something that happened decades ago that he could never escape, something that haunted him, something that informed others about his character is true character. It haunted his marriage. It really affected his life in a way that even though close to him, didn't realize. Now the police knew about it too. You see, when Corey benderm was just seventeen, he stepped into something he should never have. The court records say he and a friend met three a Wall Army Ranger trainees at a hotel setting up a gun deal. Corey wasn't the supplier, he was the middleman. His job was simple, pick them up, drive them deep into a remote Florida swamp, and lead them to a stash of weapons. They did exactly that, quiet pickup, no small talk, then a long drive into the dark. The soldiers were ready dressed in wetsuits, wading into the murky water to retrieve the package. But halfway across everything flipped. Corey opened fire. Bullets tore through the swamp as soldiers tried to escape, Trapped and exposed, one managed to run and kept going until he reached the house and got help. Corey and his friend disappeared into the night. Two soldiers nearly died. The only reason they didn't was because the third managed to get help. It was clear that Corey had intended to murder all three of these men whilst pocketing the money for the whole shindig. It didn't take long to find Corey young, reckless, and now facing real adult charges. He was sentenced to seven years in prison and ten years probation for aggravated battery with a firearm. Now standing in his front lawn, a father, a husband, the business owner, Corey's past was staring him in the face. As police prepared to take his work truck into evidence. Corey reassured the cops he was an innocent man. But what else would a murderer claim?
Speaker 10: Well, I certainly hoped it was twenty seven years ago. I certainly listen, Corey, I certainly hope so, I really do. And and if it is, I assure you, I promise I'll be first one to come back and shake your hand.
Speaker 4: I certainly hope say look I wrong, I will do that.
Speaker 1: Corey didn't look scared. He looked furious. His wife angry and being escorted to a police station, his daughter just home from college watching it all unfold, and now the neighbors were watching too. That's what he felt most, humiliation with.
Speaker 4: The flame that you guys put on. Yes, sir, this is unfair. I didn't do what you think I did, and this is absolutely not fair.
Speaker 10: Can you tell me what happened to her? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't have any clue, and he shook hands. I left. That's it. That's the last I know it. I don't have an explanation. I don't have anything.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I got, I got.
Speaker 4: I mean the guy was moaning up the yard and mowing the lot across the streets. She shook my hand in the doorway, and she clearly did not want to talk to you anymore.
Speaker 10: She was done with She had an extensive, extensive, meticulous, detailed list of things and why she did not want to talk to you and why she was done with you.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Corey thought the tension between him and this seemingly familyless widow would stay just that between the two of them. He didn't count on her having a circle of retired, watchful, fiercely protective friends, tracking every detail and being uber curious about her remodel. Her best friend, the one who handed over the diary, told police everything she knew old lady gossip was now becoming evidence.
Speaker 3: Then she was beating herself up for giving him that. In bat she said, well, I'm going to get my money back. I've been talking to Lynn to the lady next door's daughter, Lynn, and she's going to help me get an attorney, and I'm going to get the police and them involved, and I'm going to see if i can get my twelve grand back because he's done anything. You think I should pay him a little something for ripping out the bathroom, what he's done, I said, give him nothing. The man's cost you nothing but grief, Sue.
Speaker 1: Sue had found help getting a lawyer and was making plans to get the authorities involved. Still, she wanted to do this the right way without lawyers. She gave Corey one last chance, and he promised he would bring her her money back.
Speaker 3: So he shows up with a business check, okay, she told me, he said. Here, she said, I'm not taking that business check. You've been lying to me. I will accept nothing more than a cashier's check. He told her. At that point, I really don't have that twelve grand, but I'm going to have from now till next week to get it because I'm returning the bathtub and the shower stuff he bought. Sue said to me, he said, he's returning the bathtub, and I said to him, it's only nine hundred dollars, Corey, we're talking twelve grand.
Speaker 1: When Sue refused the business check, Corey admitted he didn't have the funds in his account to pay her in full, but he'd return some supplies and he'd get her the money. He said he was desperate to get this woman off his back.
Speaker 3: The next Wednesday morning, which is the twenty third, that I went to her house. I said to her she was supposed to show up that day. She had told me over the phone, you know, hey, he's coming Wednesday morning between eight and eight thirty. I said, well, Sue is going to have your cashiers check. Yes, he is, because he knows better. Said okay. So when I got there at twelve thirty that day, when I get there for our launching, I said, Sue, did Jack Rabbit show up today? She said no? But he called me, she said, and I told him, what's your excuse for whatever? He said, Sue, I'm going to be there with your twelve grand. I'm going to bring it in cashier's check or whatever I need. Tell tonight between six and six thirty to get it thirty you. I'm in Sant Augustine court, something to do with his divorce.
Speaker 1: But Corey wasn't getting divorced. He was piling lies upon lies to everyone in his life, and the facade was cracking. To sue, he had one set of excuses for his inadequacies and to his wife another. He was burning the candle at both ends, juggling jobs, staying up all night, drinking at the bar, passing off one debt to cover another. A contractor Ponzi scheme happens more often than you think. He was drowning in a circus act. And at the center of it all, the problem he couldn't solve was a stubborn sixty five year old widow who was now putting her foot down and putting it down hard.
Speaker 10: So, like I said, you know you lied to me right when we talked on Tuesday.
Speaker 4: About what you said.
Speaker 10: All you owed her was twelve hundred and ninety four dollars and fifty four cents. And that's the carbon checkmen. You showed me data for ten twenty four.
Speaker 4: That's the check that I wrote her to Rambose.
Speaker 10: You owed her twelve thousand dollars. And I have all the checks that she wrote out to you.
Speaker 4: With along with her there's three of them, along.
Speaker 10: With her meticulous detailed list of the money that she gave me. Why would you lie about that?
Speaker 1: Corey had no idea that the police detected human decomposition in his storage. They kept that card close to their chest. They had also secured security footage from home depot showing Corey buying numerous bags of concrete after he was at Sue's place.
Speaker 10: You truly protest in your innocence and truly go on trying to, you know, comply and go a long way to show that you didn't have anything to do it. But I'm just telling you, without throwing all this stuff in here, there is a lot that says you do know more than what you're telling Not necessarily that you did anything to her, but you know more than what you're telling me.
Speaker 14: I can tell you whatout some confident I have nothing to do with her being missing.
Speaker 4: Oh that's that's what I am very confident in.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I certainly hope, so, I really do.
Speaker 1: Detectives didn't have enough on Corey to arrest him right then and there, so they took his truck, shook his hand, and left him to sweat it out alone on his front lawn. That's when police got in touch with LeeAnne. They took her down to the station and started asking her about Corey, but she had zero clue what was going on.
Speaker 11: They didn't even tell me really why was there. They just kept asking me like all these questions like how long have you known him? What were you doing on this day? What was he doing on this day? And like, Okay, where are we going with this? Like what's going on? It literally took like hours into this for me to figure out what they were actually looking for. And then at that point I'm like, no, not possible. There's no way that's not possible.
Speaker 1: From the outside, Corey was not suspicious. He was a loving father, a businessman, the fun guy who would fut the bill for beers and treat his employees like gold. But something dark had entered Corey's life again, and only lee Anne was privy to it. Corey had started doing cocaine.
Speaker 11: When he first started using like that house party he went to, you know, he was doing cocaine. There was more of like a party thing, like I want to be up all night. I'm not really good to bed. It wasn't like an every day I have to have a thing. It was I'm gonna go party. The night away and then go to work tomorrow and do my normal job. And it was like every once in a while. It probably once a week, twice a week. It wasn't an everyday thing for him.
Speaker 1: But like all addictions, it did progress. Corey may have been able to manage his business, his family, his wife who he kept disappointing, and his late night partying with friends, but once cocaine entered the picture, things became a lot less manageable. And what Leanne didn't know was that Corey had been to rehab for cocaine addiction before. Years back. He had snorted away his family's finances. His wife found out, sent him to rehab, and he promised to never touch the stuff again. They were still building back the trust that had been lost all those years ago when Corey started partying again in secret.
Speaker 11: But it did progress. Dressed heavily, and then I did see a difference in him, like he would get irritated faster. You could kind of see it in his face that he was really tired. He's just really drained. He had a very short temper, not with me and not with anybody else that I saw, but just like when we're working, if he'd drops something, he'd be cussing, like, oh my gosh, damn it. Where before I don't feel like he'd drops something, he'd laugh it off and keep going.
Speaker 1: Leanne says Corey was not an angry man. She only saw him explode one time when they were out drinking and a miscommunication left him stranded at a house party with strangers. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be around someone that shows real emotion, whether good or bad, all of the time, then someone who holds it all in, bottles it all up and it's all just optics until one day they explode.
Speaker 11: He's screaming in the phone, you need to fucking come get me right, fucking like just screaming, and me and my sister and everybody, because we all rode together, We're like, what is going on? He's going off, like off the rails. So he's saying something about these girls invited him over, and then a whole bunch of dudes showed up. I don't know what happened at that house party. He wasn't there very long, but he ended up calling his wife, because the next day he told me he called his wife and his wife picked him up. Then you know, you kind of think like, was there just alcohol involved with the guy's maybe rude? Do you even hurt his feelings? Because he was very soft hearted, so it was like maybe somebody just hurt his feelings. He took things very personal and I think that's why he made sure stay in shape and things like that. Maybe he was felt bullied a lot, so you could tell like that was just his demeanor. He didn't he needed to feel like he was included in places.
Speaker 1: It was hard for Leanne to grasp that Corey could have murdered someone. I mean, think about it. Imagine someone you know, someone that you're close to, Now imagine that they killed someone, like for real, how do you reconcile that? But as the hours ticked by and police he slowly revealed more information to her, Leanne realized that maybe her sweet, chilled buddy Corey could have something to do with this. Though she'd only seen that one outburst, she had seen it the genie was out of the bottle. She knew he was using drugs and something had changed in them. The day that Leanne called in sick because of her torn rotator cuff was the day that Sue went missing. The next day on the job, Corey was distant, strange, and completely detached. Leanne remembered that day because she'd never seen Corey like that. It was all starting to click together, and she didn't like that feeling.
Speaker 11: They kept saying all this stuff. But when they told me about the glass and things like that, and how they had pinged his phone the day of there, and I knew that was the day I was off work, I started thinking, wait a minute.
Speaker 1: Aside from the bus footage and the smell of decomposition detected and Corey storage unit detectives uncovered two things far more deliberate. One was some shards of glass and Sue's driveway and they needed Leanne to confirm where this glass came from.
Speaker 11: Then I guess the guy's house we were working on at that time. We were working on a few people's houses, but this one guy in particular. When we took the glass door out of the shower down to the truck, it slipped out my hand and it shattered. It shattered everywhere like in a million pieces. And supposedly that was one of the things they said, is they found that glass in her driveway and they had asked me, did we do anything glass, and I was like, oh, yeah, we had a doorberrery, but we cleaned it up. But I guess that's what got left in her driveway the day that he was late picking me up.
Speaker 1: Secondly, the detectives had surveillance from home depot showing Corey there the very morning he went to Sue's house buying bags of concrete, not tools, not tons of materials for a visible build, just concrete and a few random items that looked like a clear cover up. He told police it was for a job, but leanne knew his jobs, his materials, his patterns, and this wasn't part of that. There was no project that called for concrete, so detectives had leanne kall Corey on a recorded line and ask him about the concrete casually, like it didn't matter. But by then it mattered more than anything else because they still had no body.
Speaker 3: They're gone, Okay, it wasn't was it was exhausting. It was exhausting.
Speaker 15: You did not kill that woman, did you. No, I'm start calling. I highly doubt that even they even asked me. They wanted to know exactly what materials we were using on.
Speaker 16: The job site, and they kept asking me over and over about concrete.
Speaker 11: So I asked him, I said, what is this about you buying concrete? And he said, yeah, I bought concrete. I said, what'd you buy concrete for? He said, remember, we're building a step at that last customer. We were at a different customer and I said, Corey, no, we're not. I said, we've never used concrete. What are you talking about. He's like, you don't remember the step we're building. I'm like no, And then he turned out. He's like, oh, I forgot. You weren't there that day that they requested that to be done.
Speaker 10: And I was like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 11: Because I've never We've never bought concrete. We've never dealt with concrete, So I don't know nothing about no concrete.
Speaker 16: Are I don't know, but I bet that's why they're asking. And I they must think that I knew about the concrete, because they literally kept asking me, and then they would look at me funny when I say no, we don't use concrete, and they just kept looking to be funny.
Speaker 9: They are, Yeah, by a poor bag of go leveler, Will Walter.
Speaker 10: And.
Speaker 3: That's why you can.
Speaker 6: The concrete.
Speaker 3: You should see nothing.
Speaker 6: I've been nowhere near the river.
Speaker 11: But at that point, I'm getting a little tearful, like why are you pushing this so hard? Wait a minute. Then it started kind of hitting me, like why are you lying? If you're lying, there's there's a reason you're lying. Why you lie.
Speaker 1: Before the police were done with Leanne, she divulged one thing that made them stop dead in their tracks. It was a thing that would change the entire course of their chase with Jack Rabbit, I mean Corey. She told him that one time they were at the dump getting rid of construction materials, and Corey joked that the dump would be a perfect place to hide a body. What a strange thing to say. The light bulb went off. The detectives had access to Life three sixty Data, which is an app that Corey's wife made him keep on his phone so she could keep track of where he was at all times. It was a deal they had struck after he got out of rehab and promised to change his ways, So Corey had the app on all morning the day Sue went missing, except for one hour after she disappeared, That is when he went to the Rosemary landfill and detectives knew what they had to do but then the unthinkable happened. Corey skipped down, but not before cashing a check he had secretly stolen from another client about a week prior. Like I said, contractor Ponzi scheme, it happens all the time, and it happened to me. A contract named Justin Jones promised to do some work for me, took seventeen grand and disappeared. I had to sue him, and when I did, I found out he owed over a million dollars to various other victims. At the end of the day, I was just out seventeen grand because even though I did sue him and won, he had no assets of any kind under his name, no credit, no nothing. What a piece of shit. Anyway, watch out for these contractors. They can really take you for a ride and never turn your back.
Speaker 11: On the guy's house that we were working on where I tore my arm using the Jackhamer one of the days we were there, I guess the last day we were there after all this happened, he went in that man's office and stole a check out of his check book, and that was his money to get him out of town on the run. That's how they called him he was in the bank cash and at check he wrote to himself and he hauled ass with that. That's how he was getting out of town.
Speaker 1: Corey had been playing it cool with the cops, his employees, his family, but inside he was panicking. The detectives were trying to hunt Corey down. His wife and children were helping, giving the cops tips every time Corey called them to check in from another random burner. Phone footage from the Rosemary landfill showed Corey showing up that morning. He took in a load that was about three hundred pounds and dumped it. When the cashier weighed his truck on the way out for the dump, he shed all that weight. But when he spoke to Leanne, he told her he had one hundred and twenty pounds of concrete to dispose him.
Speaker 11: So when they looked at the amount of concrete he bought and the weight of her body and added them together. That's exactly what he took to the dump. The exact amount that went in to the dump, because they weigh it when you go in.
Speaker 1: But finding Sue in a landfill wouldn't be so simple. The construction rubbish had been transported to a new site in Georgia called the Chessar Island Rode Landfill, about an hour away. When the detective spoke with someone at the landfill, they said that the dumpload was fresh, nothing else had been put on top of it. If Sue's body came from the Rosemary landfill, she'd be in that pile. So over the next week and tandem with the FBI, ninety employees searched an area of the landfill about the size of a baseball field. They turned over every piece of trash, desperately trying to find any trace of Sue. Individuals in white hazmat suits poked and prodded at every little piece of garbage while excavators ripped through the mess. The media was there, capturing each painful, hopeless second of what was akin to looking for a needle in a haystack. Then, on the ninth day, after sifting through seventy three hundred tons of waste, someone found a piece of what appeared to be a human jaw. Then more pieces emerged in the rubble, all tangled up in a shredded concrete bag. Amongst them were women's clothing, two fingernails, and a tarp Dunnell records soon confirmed it was in fact Sue Malden. The serial number on the concrete bags was intact and it was an exact match to the receipt of Corey's purchases. The police got in touch with the client, who Corey said he bought the concrete four and she knew nothing about a concrete step being built in her home.
Speaker 17: So the detective asked me about that, and I told him that the thing here that required any concrete work.
Speaker 1: The client also confirmed that Corey never finished the job he began at her place, giving her similar excuses like he had to Sue he.
Speaker 17: Had to go to Mayo clinic and he had to go to the doctor for this, or you know, or something. There was always an excuse, and then at the end he just vanished and my work was never completed.
Speaker 1: It had been almost four months since Sue's friends at the British Club had reported her missing, and now finally they had her body. Corey had accused the police of tunnel vision from the jump, but they were right all long. They soon captured Corey. His attempts to run were futile, especially since he tried to cash the check he stole and wrote to himself. Now Corey would have to face the police again, but not from his front lawn as a free man. It would be in handcuffs at the station, and there was evidence that he could not refute. Mister too cool Cory Binderham had painted himself into a corner that he would never escape. Local contractor Corey Benderham seemed like your typical dad next door, but underneath his friendly, chill exterior was a former criminal, relapsing cocaine adding, and shoddy businessman whose life was crumbling beneath him. At the center of all of his problems was a sixty five year old widow named Sue Maldon, who refused to let Corey off the hook for the twelve thousand dollars Yoda and bathroom remodeling work. Corey had been accused from the very beginning, but with no body and no witnesses, the detectives had little to work on, but got feelings and circumstantial evidence. As things heated up, Corey skipped down with a stolen check. Meanwhile, a massive investigation team combed the landfell and discovered Cho's body and other evidence proving Corey was the killer. All of Corey's confident defenses fell, and on January thirty first, twenty twenty, Corey was brought into the station in handcuffs after being arrested for cashing that stolen check.
Speaker 6: Spinner.
Speaker 12: Maybe I'm all right, as he is saying, but I'm sure it's not like closet. I wanted to come touch base, would you. I would just give you an update when we go. Sure, so we got one, and uh cut right to the chase. When we talked about before, you indicate that I had tunnel vision. I didn't have tunnel vision. We know what she did. We located Susan, we're bringing her home, and you're gonna be charged with murder and tempering evidence to begin with. I know that's a lot to hit you in one second, but obviously you've known this whole time and just kind of in waiting on it.
Speaker 6: I'm sure not at all.
Speaker 12: M I did reach out to Cassidy give her heads up because I know obviously your daughters now, I don't want them to get bombarded with stuff that they'll need to Okay, I did that for Cassidy, not for you. Sure, alright, and you you.
Speaker 10: I'm sure you're familiar with this process, how it goes from here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna tell you. I'm not gonna say anything. You gotta get upset again.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not a hey, hey we won, we got our body.
Speaker 6: You're being charged. I'm not upset.
Speaker 2: You were not necessarily unfortunate that that I didn't have anything to do with it.
Speaker 12: So what we can prove, brother was and I get that, and you can you can maintain that all you want.
Speaker 6: I understand that. I'm just here to tell you that.
Speaker 12: I don't need you to say anything at all ever, because the evidence is there, The physical evidence is there, the whole thing he's laid.
Speaker 7: Out, and just so there's no misunderstanding, you do realize we found susan model, and we puzzily he was in about her.
Speaker 4: We found her in the chestaro and landfill.
Speaker 6: Okay, so you understand, Yeah, I understand.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Corey sat in his orange jumpsuit, lips pressed thin. He'd been here before, but that was when he was seventeen, when recklessness could pass for ignorance and excuses came easy. Now he was a grown ass man, a husband, a father, someone who had been given a second chance and burned straight through it. Whatever he wants hid behind me was gone. What remained was simple and brutal. A grown ass man who murdered a defenseless widow, someone so physically frail she needed help starting a lawnmower. There was no chaos, no confusion, no youth to blame, just his own selfish choice, and it was pathetic.
Speaker 12: What my mind goes to is, I want to know why. I'm not asking you to tell me anything. Obviously you already invoked, but that's the real reason for me. That's what keeps me up at night. I just want to know why. So maybe at some point down the road we can have a conversation and just find out why, because at this point we're passed. If you did it, that's a luck.
Speaker 10: What is important now is why.
Speaker 1: Corey wasn't going to answer that question. The detective knew it from the moment he asked it, but it had to be said out loud because this question hung over the case, over every interview, every piece of evidence. It settled into the lives Sue left behind, while it seeped into Corey's own home, into his wife and daughters, into his coworkers. Forced to carry the weight of what he'd done the why haunting Leanne.
Speaker 11: I guess he tried to be calm with her, like, hey, okay, just give me a chance to fix this, and she blatantly said, you know, I'm going to call the police department. And I don't know if that triggered something in him where he'd already been to prison. Instead of going, okay, I'm just going to get us, you know, have to pay the money back, I think his mind went to I'm going to go back to jail. So then they she pretty much he kept trying to talk to her and say, hey, just can you work with me, can you help me? You know, we'll work this out. She was very adamant about no, I've had enough. I've tried for months. I want my money. I want my money now, or I'm calling cops. And then supposedly he had his tool bag in the house, and mind you, I was not there. This is just what I took from it. And she had blunt force trauma to the back of her head. And he, you know, always has hammers in his bag and that's where that came from. Is what I gathered, is that he struck her in the back of the head with one of the tools, and I almost feel like, you know, I could see now just pacing around, like how do I figure this out? And it's just sad that, you know, she wasn't really aware of her surrounding at that point to say let me keep him in my vision, because somehow he got behind her. I don't know if she was sitting on the couch or what, but she didn't keep him in her eyesight for him to pit her in the.
Speaker 10: Back of the head like that.
Speaker 1: An autopsy later revealed that Corey had struck Sue in the back of the head, then he strangled her until she died. Detectives theorized that Corey then cleaned up the house as best he could, apparently doing more work than the REMA would have taken. He grabbed the tool bag that Sue had been holding hostage and took her body to his store.
Speaker 4: It's unit.
Speaker 11: But they never say anything about chopping things up. They just said that he put her in this rubber maid thing, put it in concrete, went to the dump, dropped it at the dump.
Speaker 1: As Corey's arrest and arraiment spread through the local news, Leanne grappled with what had happened that day. In October, her torn rotator cuff, Corey's strange behavior in the truck, the stolen check, it had all happened within her presence, and she had no clue.
Speaker 11: So it was terrifying for me that I was sitting right in the truck with a man who just killed a lady, and I'm sitting in that same truck right after he dumps her body at the dump, I get in that same vehicle. Oh and then in the vehicle there was a gold ring in the door, and I asked him about it. I said, who's is this? He said it was one of the girls, one of his daughters. But the police department told me that he said it was mine. And I don't even wear jewelry. When I do, it's not gold, So I was like, that is not my ring. They showed it to me and I guess that was supposedly herring. So it's really creepy. You know, I'm sitting in this car, a dead lady's ring is right next to me, and it doesn't it's so real, Like it doesn't feel real. It feels like this is a movie. This is not actually happening.
Speaker 1: Leanne thinks that Corey lived under the crushing weight of his own lives, especially when it came to the lack of trust with his wife.
Speaker 11: But I think he was almost like the kid in the relationship, like he felt like he had to really prove that he was good to her, or he had to prove that he was worthy. Like he always had this mentality like I don't want her upset with me, and I don't want to think I did something wrong, kind of like you know your children do. They always want their parents to be proud of them. So I think he was so terrified that she was gonna find out that he screwed up again that I think between that and then going back to jail, I think he lost it.
Speaker 1: Corey would continue to protest his innocence. As the prosecution prepared for trial, many more things were revealed about Corey's crumbling life. His drug addiction had escalated from cocaine to percocet and steroids. Corey didn't even have enough money in his business account to cover the check he had written to Sue for two hundred and ninety four dollars. He had purchased the concrete an hour before he went to Sue's. This was all planned, he knew he was going to kill her that day, disguise her in concrete and toss her into a dump, and he thought he was slick enough to get away with it. That's the perplexing thing about Corey. It was like he assumed the cops would give up on Sue because she was just an old, single lady with no family and no one to really care if she was gone. Her life, you know, didn't matter enough to dig into. At least that's what he thought. It took almost five years for the trial to officially begin, between the court closures of COVID, that absurd fiasco, the complicated evidence, and the fact that Corey was facing the death penalty. This was a standard time lapse, but to Sue's friends, it was an eternity. Leanne was also going to testify, and she said it wasn't by choice.
Speaker 11: They pretty much threatened me that I was going to jail if I did not go in there, like they did not give me an option. They were not very nice to me at all.
Speaker 1: Leanne skipped the first day of court, she just couldn't do it. But she showed up the next day ready to give her testimony and terrified to see her old friend Corey looked different. His skin was pale, He'd gained about thirty pounds. He looked awful, like someone had sucked the color out of him and then blown him up like a big flag. She Beije balloon gross.
Speaker 11: I definitely had mixed emotions because part of me is, like, you know, part of me still wants you to be the good person. Part of me wants to say he really didn't do it, but the other part of me has to go, come on, there's the evidence he did it.
Speaker 3: So it was.
Speaker 11: Hard because you know, they make you point at them to say are they in the room, and you gotta look at them, you know. And when I looked at him, you know, I still saw the Corey I knew, like I still saw that nice guy that was my buddy. I didn't see this monster that came out that day, you know. I just saw poor Corey sitting there feeling like a little kid who's in trouble again. And I mean it was just sad. I mean, I hate it, and I just I know he did it and he deserves everything he gets for it everything, But it was just hard when you look at someone and I think I understand now, why moms who have sons and stuff that do this, why they kind of have that mixed emotion because you see that person for who you knew them to be. You don't see them for what they're being, what they really are. So I did, and I answer the questions and I hottailed it right out there as as I could so the public.
Speaker 1: Corey was a disgusting monster who murdered an elderly woman for twelve grand but Leanne saw someone else. She saw a situation she could have helped prevent.
Speaker 11: I feel terrible for her that this happened, And I also feel terrible like that he, as an adult, could not control his own emotions, Like why did you do that? Why could you not just say, Okay, that's fine, do what you want to do and I'll walk out and I'll figure it out tomorrow. Like I feel bad that he didn't feel like he had another option, like why did you make such a poor choice? It just you're an adult. You have to know there's consequences. Why did you make And I guess I feel bad because I didn't really see it coming either, So maybe part of that is me going I wish I would have known he had so many issues like money and things like that, because then maybe we all could have got together as friends and helped each other out. But you know, he didn't see anything, so it kind of feels like, you know, you're just out hanging out with all these people and you don't even know what's going on in their life.
Speaker 1: Imagine hearing this whole story and thinking I should have lent him money. Corey's trial was a slam dunk for the prosecution. He was given life in prison and not death. He was spared death by only one bleeding heart vote some juror who had somehow gotten the whole morality thing upside down, or maybe they just didn't want to deal with it personally, but apparently the jurors in general felt bad not for him, but for his two adult daughters, who wrote in a desperate plead at the court to spare their father's life. The defense clung on to the fact that there was another piece of male DNA found on one of the fingernails at the dump and blamed Corey's diagnosed CTE for his impulse control. There's always some kind of condition or psychological trauma that they blame and pretend like it's an excuse. In the end, it was all fruitless. Corey's tricks and schemes throughout the entire five months of the investigation were so obvious and despicable. He had put his own life above Sue's. Plain and simple, he convinced himself her life was expendable, just another cost of untangling the mess he'd made of his own. Corey was taken away in handcuffs. Sue's friends rejoiced, but everyone who knew and loved Corey was nauseous and broken, because Corey did have a lot of people in his life who adored him, Leanne included. Even now, she's barely able to break through the facade to accept the fact that her body is a convicted killer.
Speaker 11: Well, and I think too, when people do something that bad, you don't see it in them. So I mean, when I look at him, I see Corey, I don't see like when you know, when I look at Ted Bundy, because that's all I know about him, I see, you know, the monster, but I didn't know him. And I guess when you know them, you don't see that monster unless that's.
Speaker 3: All you know.
Speaker 1: It's hard to say if Corey was truly a monster. He raised two successful, loving children, He ran a business, He had friends and family who loved him. But when the cocaine crept back into his life, everything started to come apart, like a truck losing its wheels at full speed. The balance he'd maintained for years wasn't effortless anymore. It collapsed suddenly and violently. And the truth is the capacity had always been there, just below the surface. As a kid, he did a very bad thing and served seven years for it, not nearly enough time. Somewhere inside him was the instinct to put his needs above everyone else, and that never went away, that flash of darkness that led him to do something evil, bury it and keep going like nothing ever happened. When pressure hit, he didn't stand up and face it like a real man. It's hard not to see him as a boy who never fully became a man. A man takes responsibility, a man makes amends. A man faces his problems dead on addiction, money, whatever the fuck it might be, especially when he has a family. Corey chose what felt good in the moment, and he was willing to destroy the people around him for it. Sue Malden was an innocent widow, a sweet old lady who just wanted her bathroom remodeled. Instead, she was killed and discarded in a landfill by this fuck But thanks to you, the audience listening to her story, she is not forgotten and her memory lives on through her friends, especially the British Club, and everyone else in her life who loved her and her case, as dark as it is, made history the first successful FBI assisted landfill excavation to recover human remains in a murder investigation. It's a brutal ending, an unsatisfying one if you ask me, but it is one that will always be remembered.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 1: If you like that, we have lots more at Swordandscale dot com. We have hundreds of hours of plus episodes that have never been released publicly, and our visual series which is pretty beautiful and amazing, and there's thirty episodes available, So go check it out. See you next week. Stay safe, st