Speaker 1: Welcome aboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dan Matthews Live and local h Town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here. We love you all.
Speaker 1: So finish up on that to do list. Slute up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start. Now bear me the eight. This is Space City Saturday.
Speaker 2: It's insane.
Speaker 1: Here's seven nineties Dan Matthews.
Speaker 3: Oh, welcome inn, Welcome all, and the way we go here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety and obviously with the former team that I just talked about right there. I mean, what's happened in the last less than twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of escaping my memory right now. But anyway, there is ton to get into on those guys. There's also a little bit to get into on the ladder team that I mentioned too, as well as we're gonna have Rockets basketball coming your way a little bit later on tonight. The play in round is in the past.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: So now it's the play in tournament semifinals out there in Vegas, and know that we've got the obligatory Matt Thomas photo from the blackjack table, which I didn't want to out him at the.
Speaker 2: Time, but you're not supposed to do that.
Speaker 3: Usually if the casinos catch you doing that, then they either tell you don't do it again, or they just tell you, Sarah, pick up your checks, you're done for the night, and they throw you out.
Speaker 2: So Matt, you know, just fair warning there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, casinos get a little leery whenever the phones come out, especially if you're around the sports book or anywhere, although now they don't necessarily, you know, do that as much because you can get lines anywhere. I mean, it was pretty much in the days where you know, the gambling lines were not readily available to everyone out there. But I mean even in states that don't have legalized gambling, you can just google in you know, hey, what's the spread for Army Navy today, and you'll get about, you know, at least ninety different search results search results for you there. So anyway, I kid because I care for Matt, So anyway, Matt Thomas on the call tonight, yours truly bringing you Rockets launch pad a little bit later on, So we'll be having some fun talking some Rockets a little bit later on as they go for a chance to face whoever comes out of the Eastern Conference for the NBA playing tournaments. So last of the Lakers won, and that'd be interesting too, I think. I mean, I know it's kind of kart ahead of the horse here, but what if the Rockets win this thing, and what does the banner look like up there at you know, Toyota Center. I think if you're the Rockets and you win it, I think that maybe you just say, hey, we want it, and then I don't know, maybe put like something on the side of a girder or something like that to be like, hey, NBA playing tournament champions, yay. But that's about all that it really matters for So anyway, I don't think we need to have like a whole banner hoisting or anything like that.
Speaker 2: I think you could just probably.
Speaker 3: Do like the curtain in front of it and just be like, hey, Rockets won the NBA play and tournament, and we go about our business and hope this team makes the Western Conference playoffs this year. So I think that probably would be about all that's needed for that. So anyway, if the Rockets take care of business tonight against OKAC, they await the winner of the Hawks and the Bucks in that one. But we're not going to be talking too much Rockets for today's show because obviously, like I said at the beginning of the show, I mean, we're less than twenty four hours removed from.
Speaker 2: A move that did jar a few of you out there.
Speaker 3: But also too, I gotta say, I mean, I know that a lot of times in sports media, the immediate response from the media is to start doing the moral high ground, moral high horse kind of thing, and you know, chiding you the fans. But no, I'm actually gonna take a different tact. I think most of you out there got what Dana Brown was doing yesterday, and I think that most of you got what the Astros are trying to do. So for that, I applaud you. I'm proud of you for understanding that. Look, I mean, this kind this thing has kind of met a little bit of an impasse for this team at this moment. And with Kyle Tucker here, is this a ALS champion. Probably with Kyle Tucker here, do you have a chance to be able to reach the Alcs. Sure, probably, but it's also too I mean, and we'll hear from Dana Brown as the show goes along here today that there's many more moves to be made as well. I mean, they've already been pretty vocal about adding yet another bat to lineup. There are loose reports out there that the Astros are interested in Anthony Santander, and another report that I saw I believe it was John Hayman who had this that Santander would be looking for a five year deal. Oh boy, who is in the market of giving out five six year deals.
Speaker 2: I think it's a team that plays right here in Houston.
Speaker 3: So as of right now, I mean, Dana had a comment yesterday about the way the outfield would look right now.
Speaker 2: I'll just go ahead and just say it.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, and I think that my opinion is probably pretty oak solid in this regard. You won't have an outfield that has Chas McCormick, Jake Myers, McCormick and right, Myers and center and then a fill in kind of platoon situation out in left field. That's not going to happen. Somebody will be added. You will have a starting either right fielder or left fielder. I mean, I don't doubt that you probably will have an outfield that has at any given time both Myers and McCormick out there, because I mean the club.
Speaker 2: Is still very high on McCormick.
Speaker 3: And also too, I think that probably you know, last year was an audition for Myers, and even though the bat tailed off late in the season, I mean, he was still an elite outfield defender for you. I mean, the arm's not great, but in terms of him being able to go gap to gap and be able to run down baseballs, he's probably one of the best in baseball in that regard. So you hope that the bat does take a step forward this season. I think Myers is kind of in that same mold as Jeremy Pania, where you're just kind of like with both of those guys, like, hey, guys, give us just a little bit more with the bat, Like we know what the other parts of your game have, but a little bit more consistency with that part, and we're cope, asthetic, we're great, Like that would be outstanding if you were able to do that. So that's the part that I think a lot of people listened to yesterday and then also too, Dana, you know when we do get some of the audio here in the next segment, I mean, I think that he did a good job of kind of calming some fears yesterday of you know, there was the full on hysteria from some out there that's, oh my god, we're going towards twenty ten, eleven, twelve, and thirteen, and maybe even a little bit of fourteen all over again, although fourteen, I think for probably a lot of us was kind of like last year's Rocket season where we watched that team and you saw Springer come up and you knew that Korea wasn't too far around the corner.
Speaker 2: I think, if I'm not mistaken, was it that year or was it the year later.
Speaker 3: That Alex Bregman got drafted, and then, of course, oddly enough, in that same draft Kyle Tucker. So you continue to add on to that thing. But if nothing else, you at least saw, Okay, we're starting to get to that point where you will get these guys back, and you will start to get these guys into the fold, and we'll see if the scouting and development of this team really started to pay off and so a we'll have to see if that all comes to fruition. But anyway, though, I mean a interesting move made yesterday by the Astros that I think for the most part from people that I've talked with around baseball that you know, it's either prospect rankings or just those who you know, just look at overall, just values of trades that people believe.
Speaker 2: The Astros got a pretty good haul.
Speaker 3: Back for Kyle Tucker in this trade, and I think for the Cubs too, if nothing else from their perspective, it's number one. I mean, you just saw the Milwaukee Brewers trade away Devin Williams, and the other part as well, you know, all throughout baseball with some of these teams is I mean, while I understand that you want to be adding more than you're subtracting, especially to the front end guys on your team, but let's just go ahead and take a little bit of inventory right now of what's going on around baseball. The San Diego Padres a team that a lot of people thought was going to have a really good chance at making it to the World Series last year. Obviously, unfortunately for them, they ran into the eventual World champions last year and got alisted in the first round. But there's reports again with their TV deal issues that they're having out there. Of course, you know, with a lot of teams that have the Diamond Sports Group, the former Ballet Sports Entertainment or whatever you want to call them, and you know they've been.
Speaker 2: Having to dump their TV deals left and right.
Speaker 3: And the TV revenue is so massive in terms of what you're able to do in terms of your spending power and just the overall revenue structure for your team, and the Padres are reportedly dangling some key players out there on the trade market.
Speaker 2: I mean even the team too.
Speaker 3: As well, that you think is your biggest competitor in the American League West right now because of their pitching staff, the Seattle Mariners. I mean, for the life of me, what the hell is Jerry to Poto and the Mariners doing, Like you seriously are in position with that pitching staff to go get a couple of good bats in that lineup, and probably you do close that gap with the Astros. But then I'm seeing reports that Luis Castillo is being dangled out on the trade market, that the Red Sox want to try to get one of the front end starters for the Mariners, and the Mariners maybe might be interested in doing that deal. Like look, I just I bring up those examples to say to Astros fans that are freaking out right now, if you think it's bad, look around baseball, because I mean again too, you know I talked about the Milwaukee Brewers with the Cubs. I mean, the Brewers just trade away their closer, Devin Williams, and they lost Willia Damas as well, So I mean it could always be worse.
Speaker 2: And that's I.
Speaker 3: Think a little bit of the perspective that some of the Astros fans out there that you know, I saw it yesterday. I mean I even saw one too that somebody said that Jordan Jose Altuve and Yinar Diaz should request a trade, Like, come on, guys, what are we doing? Like you just added a front of the order, a middle of the order bat and eatzac peretis who has superior pull power? And what do you have at Minute Made Park? Oh yeah, that's right, the Crawford boxes out there and field. And I know that people were staring the spray charts yesterday of what you know he can do in terms of his power numbers. And I mean you saw the amount of home runs that would have been out at Minute Made Park had he played at Minute May Park. So that's a really good addition, was Nesky. I mean again, I think that Dana Brown kind of looks at that as a high upside pickup for the Astros that probably at the beginning will be slotted to be a fourth or fifth starter in this in this rotation. But look at the Astros track record too with bringing in pitchers and in cases like back in the day with Charlie Morton, I mean, they rejuvenated his career. Charlie Morton's career would not be continuing right now if he did not, you know, go through the Astros pitching system here with at the time Brent Strom, but a guy that was also part of it as well as your current pitching coach Josh Miller, and his career was I mean again put back on track, justin Berlander, the same deal you say, Kuci last year. So I mean trust the Astro system in what they have and they have an incredibly good scouting, research development, all of those parts of this organization that you know on top of it all too. I mean, is Dana Brown perfect as a GM, no, and if you're ever looking for a perfect GM, and I understand that a lot of you believe that Jeff Luna was that guy, and he was, but.
Speaker 2: Jeff Luna also had his missteps as well.
Speaker 3: The Carlos Gomez trade, I mean, you know, that's one that kind of comes to mind. So mistakes will be made along the way. Nobody bats a thousand in this game. But in terms of what the Astros did yesterday, I'm on full board with it. I mean, I am absolutely on board with this decision because I mean you also have to look at it from the perspective too as well, is you can continue doing the things that you're doing and get nothing in return. I mean, what you give him a qualifying offer, which he no doubt would decline, Probably the minute that it got in front of him, he'd declined, all right, fine, you get a draft pick if he leaves, Like, how does that help you? It doesn't help you.
Speaker 2: So I'm on. I'm absolutely in line with what the Astros did.
Speaker 3: I think that it was an incredibly right move for them to make, and it was an incredibly baseball savvy move, and I don't necessarily believe that it does signal to anybody that this is going to suck for a while, That's not the case. You know this is going to suck for a while is when you have a roster that has Carlo's Corporan and guys like that starting for you. I mean, no disrespect to Carlo's Corporon, but you don't.
Speaker 2: Have that issue right now as the Astros.
Speaker 3: So a little bit of patience, all right, and just a little bit of trust. This is an organization that has done things the right way for the better part of the last ten years, and.
Speaker 2: I think they'll continue to do that.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I get that yesterday kind of hurt. Kyle Tucker was a very beloved and a very popular player here in Houston, but also too at the same time, him moving on, I mean, it sucks you wish that he could have been here for the long haul. But I think also too, I mean, you know, again, this gets back to trusting Dana Brown. That move yesterday was being made with the express knowledge that they knew he's not going to sign long term here. And there's some other cuts that we need to get to as well from Dana Brown.
Speaker 2: So we'll do that coming up here. Also, to do.
Speaker 3: You want to get into a little bit of Texans conversation today on the show.
Speaker 2: But you know, in terms of guest.
Speaker 3: Wise, we will have a couple of recorded interviews that we have. One of them that I am going to have for you here in the bottom of this hour is a guest that joined me and Chris Gordy last night on the Nightcap, Bruce Levine from six seventy the Score in Chicago as well as he does some work on the TV side with Marquee Sports Network, so he is very in tune with what the Cubs are doing and just the overall day to day operations of the Cubs. So we're going to talk with Bruce. We're actually I gonna let you hear from Bruce again. He joined me and Gordy last night. So for some of you that might be feeling the Kyle Tucker Kyle Tucker blues in terms of him being traded away, I think that Bruce is going to make you feel a little bit more optimistic after you hear him talk about what is coming back to the Astros.
Speaker 2: As well as a little.
Speaker 3: Bit later on the show, Chandler Rome from the Athletic joined the A team yesterday, so definitely want to get that into the fold. We'll get into some Texans Dolphins as well. I mean, a huge game tomorrow for the Texans, and this next three three game stretch for the Texans is a massive one up for them as well, and it starts tomorrow against Miami over at NRG Stadium. So we'll cut into that just a little bit as well. And I also want to get you involved on the phone lines. If you want to jump aboard, please do so. Semon one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again that se one three two one two five seven nine zero. But coming up next. I think that yesterday signaled to some of you and it is learned behavior that are going to only get worse. But actually I think that it's about lessons being learned, and I'll explain that on the other side when we come back here on Space City Saturday. It's Dan Matthews here with you until noon on your home of the Astros in the Rockets.
Speaker 2: Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Space City Saturday continues Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Sports Talk seven ninety Space City Saturday. You know, I have a buddy of mine in the business who is a massive Elvis fan As a matter of fact, he's written three books about the King, and he has a saying, well, now there's forty seven presidents at least after January twentieth, but his line was forty seven presidents, one king, and yeah, I understand that some of you probably are feeling a little bit down right now, but you know, I think that there's reasons still to stay optimistic, and we'll get into that here in just a second before I get into more of the Astro conversation here. I guess this kind of goes in line with the concern that maybe the Astros will not bring back Alex Bregman. But Chandler Rome of the Athletic throwing out a report just actually about thirty minutes ago that the Astros have emerged as serious suitors to add Nolan Aernato through the trade markets. So we'll see what that entails. I mean, Aeronato a guy that is as his career has gone along the bat and the power has kind of dipped a little bit, but the fielding is still incredibly strong for him, So we'll see if indeed that does materialize over the weekend or maybe even early next week. I mean, he heard Dana Brown yesterday when we played his press availability talking about that within the next week the Astros would solidify going out to get another middle of the order bat and it'll be interesting to see if there would be anybody else after that, because, like I've said, I really strong only do not believe that your starting outfield is going to be Chas McCormick out and right and Jake Myer's out in center. I think that, And then the part that really I don't think we're going to be seeing is deep platoon out there and left field.
Speaker 2: That's not a competitive team.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that you do need to go get somebody that can be an every day starting outfielder for you and also to be able to kind of mix and match and rotate, and sometimes Jordan Alvarez is out and left. I think that probably that is what eventually you're going to see, but we shall see. So I gonna let you hear from Dana Brown here in just a second, But I do want to talk to the fans. Like I said that yesterday, we're pretty upset with both Dana Brown even saw Jim Crane starting to get some strays out there, and you know, the thought that this is signaling kind of the offloading that the Astros did starting in about twenty ten. It kind of ramped up a little bit in twenty eleven, and in twenty twelve was when you started to see Hunter Pence traded away. I think that was twelve Pence traded away, roy Oswalt traded away, and just kind of the beginning of the end for this Astros organization in terms of that competitive window they had after they made the World.
Speaker 2: Series in two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: But I actually think that yesterday's trade was trying to avoid that because let me take you back to those times. Can we be honest with ourselves that the two thousand and five team, I mean, did have an outstanding pitching staff with Clemens Pettit Oswalt and what they were able to do in that postseason run, and also to the back end of the bullpen with lydge Qualls, Dan Wheeler and that group that it was a huge part of what propelled that team to go from being fifteen and thirty to all the way to winning a wild card spot, getting in beating the Braves in that opening round of the Division Series, and then going to the LCS and getting revenge against the Cardinals team that the year before had broken your hearts with Carlos Beltron and crew, and you kind of thought to yourself, Man, that two thousand and four team, I mean, I look, I mean it's one of those that if you want to hop back into the time machine and a team that could have put together a hell of a world series. That Astros Red Sox World Series would have been awesome.
Speaker 2: That would have been amazing to have watched. But we didn't get that.
Speaker 3: So the following year it was a little bit of a mix and match a little bit for the Astros. I mean, you had Morgan Ensburg having a career year, you had Jason Lane having a hell of a year Mike Lamb.
Speaker 2: But I say all of that.
Speaker 3: To say that that was not a long term sustainable competitive model. So the Astros I think kind of kitted themselves into believing that, hey, we can continue to stay competitive. Here is Carlos Lee, that was a bad trade, that was a bad signing, Here's Miguel ta Hatta did some good things, but for the most part, it was a shell of what mcguilta hat was doing his heyday with the Oakland a's and I mean, you know here and there, you know Yvonne Rodriguez, pud Rodriguez is here, and just all these other players that at a time had really.
Speaker 2: Good, productive years, but that was not the case at the end.
Speaker 3: And I think that they just kind of were trying to build this thing on the fly without any real foundation underneath them. The difference this time is there is a foundation underneath you. And if you look back to that time, there's no way that Kyle Tucker would have been traded yesterday, and you would have seen Kyle Tucker leave after next season, and this team probably would have been even further behind the eight ball than they are right now. But with the move made yesterday, I believe that it's signals that not only are you going to remain competitive, you're also too going to put yourself in position to keep this thing going for the next few years and be able to get the best out of the final years of Jose L TV in the best out of the years that you've got your Alvarez here, which he's still here for a remarkable amount of time. I think at least three more years are still left on his deals, so you still get really good years out of your non Alvarez. So this is a good competitive organization at this point. In Dana Brown talking yesterday with the media, as Melvin had told you, it's cut number nine, we'll start with as he talked about.
Speaker 2: That very thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've heard him Crane say it in the past that as long as he's here, the window will never close. Well, Dana Brown going along that same talking point and saying, yeah, we're going to remain competitive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, make my mistake.
Speaker 5: You know, sometimes in all sports this is just not only in baseball. Sometimes there's an opportunity where you trade a really good player to get back multiple pieces and it doesn't affect that current calendar year, and then you have a chance to be even better in the future. And so you know, I feel like this is one of those moves. The windows definitely still open. I mean, we have a room, really good rotation. Our infield is going to be good. Our you know, we got to we have a good catcher, Our bullpen is still going to be good.
Speaker 4: Look, they make no mistake, We're still going to compete.
Speaker 5: And this is probably one of those moves that I think in the future people will people will see and understand, like, yeah, wow, I understand it.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 5: And even though it's tough, it's tough in that first year to stomach because Kyle Tucker has had such a great career here.
Speaker 4: He's such an outstanding player.
Speaker 5: He's played on some really good teams, he won a championship, and so all that can be true at one time, and so I would say that, you know, this is more to strengthen our opportunities down the road without losing any footage in the current year.
Speaker 2: And there you go.
Speaker 3: I mean, Dana Brown talking about exactly what I think he's been saying ever since. I mean, you know, he was asked that at the winter meetings, I think it was either Kyle Tucker or Alex Braig not part of this organization, can you still win the American League West? And his answer was yes, I truly believe we can. And right now, I mean, we'll see what happens with the Nolan Aernado situation. I mean, you have seen some of you reacting to the report out there. Well, wait a minute, the Astros were not on his list. I honestly think that if you came to Nolan Aernado with this situation, and he looked at this team and saw, yeah, I could you know, bat around Jose Altuve and Jordan Alvarez, Yitzak Perettis and Jiner Diaz.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty solid group.
Speaker 3: That's a group that has a chance to be able to get into the postseason and cause some damage.
Speaker 2: Absolutely I want to be a part of that.
Speaker 3: So I don't think that it's going to be necessarily a huge ask in terms of you getting him to waive his no trade clause and accept this trade. But I mean, only time will tell, And obviously I think the Astros, with Chandler's reporting, I think would be interested in this deal if indeed they knew that it was the right move for them to make, both from a financial standpoint, but also too from a guy that can come in and be a huge part of this clubhouse and a huge part of this team. So we'll see if indeed that as the other huge move the Astros make this off season. One other thing too, that I thought was interesting yesterday from Dana Brown when he met with the media is he was asked about, you know, the trade of Kyle Tucker and you know, the ongoing negotiations with Alex Bregman if he feels like that this trade kind of signals to the clubhouse that if you're looking for a long term, high money extension with the Astros, it's probably not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Dana Brown does not see that being the case.
Speaker 5: I don't think that this sends them the wrong message. I mean, these these type of things happen in sports. As I mentioned before, these type of things happen in sports enough that you know that, look, sometimes you know clubs will.
Speaker 4: Make a trade with one of their big, big chips and.
Speaker 5: Trying to bring in more to reinforce the and sustained long term winning.
Speaker 2: All Right, there you go.
Speaker 3: So Dana Brown talking about what this says to the arrest of the clubhouse, I think, if nothing else, I mean, what he's trying to say at the clubhouse is, look, I mean, it might look a little bit different, but this is still a team that's going to have players in that room that can be able to help this team win and get back even further into the postseason next year. So only time will tell if indeed that is the case. I mean, you do have to feel good about the rotation Brown. Yesterday, I thought it was pretty interesting when he was asked about fromber Valdez, seeing that they'll evaluate as the season goes along and maybe even start some of those conversations with him about hey, do you want to stay here long term or also too, I mean, if it gets to a certain point where you look at frober Valdez and stay, yeah, maybe not going to be somebody that we want to count on for the front of our rotation going forward, and maybe that's a trade possibility during the season, but it doesn't sound like that's going to be the case right now. I think unless somebody comes along and just really blows the Astros away with a trade proposal for him, which I think probably would have already happened at this point, because I mean, you know, you hear Dana Brown say it all the time that there is not a you can never have a shortage of pitching, and I think that every single organization in baseball looks at the same way. So I mean, I think that probably you would have had, you know, teams coming to the Astros pretty quickly about Valdez, because I mean, he is, in every sense of the word, in front of the rotation. Guy has his postseasons necessarily been great the past couple of years now they haven't been, but still he's a guy that you can count on to be a probably solid number two, number three in your rotation, and the Astros are asking him to be the ace of their staff right now, so we'll see if he is able to kind of close the gap on the postseason part of it here going forward. But as for now, this is an Astros club that is going to remain competitive, at least according to Dana Brown, and I have to agree with him too. With the foundation of players that you have here and the players that are going to be going forward with this team, I do think that we are not going to see a significant drop off from this organization anytime soon. All Right, what are the Astros getting back in return for Kyle Tucker in the trade? If you missed it last night when Bruce Levine joined us on the nightcap with me and Gordy, I'm gonna give you a chance to be able to hear that visit because I think Astros fans, at least the ones who are on the pessimistic side right now, might start to kind of tip that needle over to the optimistic side. When you hear about three players the Astros are getting. In return, we'll hear from Bruce next right here on Space City Saturday. I'm Dan Matthews here on your home with the Astros in the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: It's Space City Saturday one, Sports Talk seven night.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 3: You know, the studio is, hey, let's bring it in Paul McCartney to do a Christmas song, and then the executives go back and listen to it. One of the guys is like, but I love this song. I like it. It's one that always puts me in a good mood. So anyway, I know that not everybody is on board with it, and that's fine. Hey, look you like it, and if I just like it, then no worries and the other way around.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: So we'll see how things move on with the Christmas season. As I know a lot of you out there with the football season kind of winding down a little bit, probably out there doing a little bit of Christmas shopping. So if you're doing so listening along, appreciate you doing so. But also too, if you missed last night's conversation that me and Chris Cordy had with six seventy the scores, Bruce Levine, Gonna give you a chance to be able to hear that right now, because we had a really good visit with the man that works for six seventy the Score and also with the Marquee Sports Network.
Speaker 2: Let's listen to that visit right now. The Astros did some business.
Speaker 3: Today with the Chicago Cubs and a man who covers that club very closely with six seventy the score up there in Chicago. He is Bruce Levine, and he joins us here, Bruce, appreciate your time to night. You got myself, Dan Matthews, you got Chris Gordy with you here on the flagship home of the Astros.
Speaker 2: Let's just start off first.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I'm sure that probably you, like many around the game, you kind of had your intenta up a little bit with this, and you'd probably seen the rumors that the Cubs were one of the teams that seemingly was involved in the possible trade scenario for Kyle Tucker. But when it finally went through, what was the reaction up there, I mean, was a little bit of surprise. Was it kind of like, Okay, hey, we're actually gonna have an okay off season up here.
Speaker 2: Like what was it?
Speaker 6: Well, we started to report from.
Speaker 7: The winter meetings that the Astros and Cubs were in conversations and.
Speaker 6: That Tucker was the object.
Speaker 7: And it seemed that with one year left on his contract, the Astros were not engaging in any long term contract with him and therefore they were not interested in just keeping.
Speaker 6: Him for one more year before he left.
Speaker 7: And the Cubs, who desperately needed a all star type player, left handed hitter with power and outstanding outfielder, somebody to really solidify their lineup, they pounced and they gave up. They gave up three really good players for him, and I know you want to talk about all of them at some point, but the people here in Chicago are thrilled they have a star player like Kyle Tucker, who is considered in Baseball circle to be one of the most underrated stars in the game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, versus it's a fine line right between. You know, he's going to be a free agent after this year, so obviously you don't have too much leverage, but you know, a little bit of a bidding war with multiple teams interested in him, so you know, the Astros are tasked with getting the most they could. I've seen some fans saying they didn't get enough. I know Suzuki's name was kind of thrown out there, but you are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, because as good as this player is, at the end of the day, it could just be a one year rental. So evaluate kind of just what they get what the Cubs gave up. Freddy Astros fan who might be thinking that it wasn't enough.
Speaker 7: Well, you have a pool hitter with a tremendous amount of power in parades the third basement, and he was an All Star for Tampa before being traded at the deadline to the Cubs. He never got on track with the Cubs. A Wrigley Field, which is known during the summer for a home run park, played to the second smallest park in baseball. During the year, they gave up the second fewest home runs in their history for both teams in that ballpark. So Paradis never got on track. But he's a good ballplayer. He's an average defender, he's got a decent arm, he has tremendous power, and he's a poll hitter. So Brown and his people did a lot of homework on the fact that what the Crawford boxes. This is a guy that should be a thirty home run hitter for the Houston Astros, and it also gives them a lot of leverage in the situation going forward with Bregman, whether he's back or not, you know, you have somebody to step in there. And I had probably for more power than Bregman, not the all around player that Bregman is. I would never suggest that. I think Bregman is a terrific player, but I don't know if Bregman is the same player he was two or three years ago. So with all that in mind, they're protected. There was Netsky. You have a guy that can start or relieve. He's a you know, usually hitting around ninety three miles an hour, got a really good breaking ball, and he showed the ability to go up and back between the bullpen and starting and do a good job on both. He injured himself a little bit, missed the last three or four weeks in the season, but terrific teammate, terrific guy. Whether you want him to start or relieve.
Speaker 6: He's not a number one.
Speaker 7: Two or three starter, but if he has to go in, he can do an adequate job, give you five or six good innings if you need him as a starter.
Speaker 6: The real player for me in this deal is Cam Smith.
Speaker 7: Every scout that you talk to tells you that this guy doesn't have a chance to just be a good player. He has a chance to be a superstar. He came out of college last year, drafted by the Cubs and just tore up the minor leagues. Terrific individual, great personality, team player. He should really mash and I don't think on the track that he's on it. It'll take more than another year in the minor league he'll be ready to come there and.
Speaker 6: Play your ballpark.
Speaker 7: So I think that they got a really great player possibility for a player who's an outstanding player right now that was only going to be there with them for one more year. I just think it's a good trade for both teams. The Cubs desperately needed a guy that could hit two, three or four and with power and play a good right field. They're now going to turn around and trade either Bellinger or Suzuki one or.
Speaker 6: The other so that there is enough room.
Speaker 7: As a DH and three outfielders. The outfield is really packed for the Chicago Cubs. They have two really good young players coming up in the Alcntara and in casey one of them is likely to get traded in the deal to bring back a pitcher. So the Cubs are making all kinds of moves. They're tired of being just average over the last two years. They're trying to step up and be the Chicago Cubs of twenty fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen once more.
Speaker 6: Again.
Speaker 3: Bruce Levine joined us from six seventy the Score there in Chicago. He's also a contributor part of the Marquee Sports Networks there local regional TV channel up there in Chicago. And Uh, you know, Bruce, I mean, just from what you were talking about right there of going through parades Wesnsky as well as Smith, I mean, is it probably from some of the people you've talked with within that Cubs organization that they kind of had to take a hard swallow right there with including Smith in this package deal.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Originally they asked for Smith and uh and Matt Shaw, which is two of their top number one picks in the last three years. Okay, they weren't they weren't giving in on that they give in. They gave in here. They were they were solid on giving up Parades. They were solid on uh giving up Smith after you know, going up and back.
Speaker 6: But was Nesky was.
Speaker 7: The final part of the deal. They wanted to give a minor league pitcher back. The Astros insisted on Wiznsky, and the deal is made.
Speaker 8: It's very interesting in him being a Houston kid and certainly a guy that a lot of people are familiar with. I want to go back to cam Smith just a little bit because you mentioned you think he'll be able to make that rise pretty quickly. It is interesting the Astros kind of depleted their farm system the last couple years with all the big trades they moved made and then obviously losing those draft picks in the signce stealing thing and all that. But you mentioned, you know, you think he's going to be ready here pretty soon. Is he a true third baseman? Do you think there's other positions he might be.
Speaker 6: Able to play? They're not sure about that.
Speaker 7: You know, third baseman sometimes end up being first baseman, right, Great hitters sometimes end up being first baseman.
Speaker 6: D HS.
Speaker 7: They think he can play third base, but against Paradus is under contract for three more years. You have Waznesky in this trade that they have contract control over for.
Speaker 6: Another four years, and Smith they're going to have.
Speaker 7: So I think Brown is is looking really smart about this. He's he's getting big league players, he's getting contract control, and he's also you know, getting rid of a guy that there probably had no chance to sign next year. He has a typical type of year as he always does. He's probably you know, looking at what thirty five million dollars a year times eight. So I don't think the Houston was going to be involved in that. As much as a love Tucker, I mean, what was there you guys tell me what was there not to like about Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'd say.
Speaker 3: Probably the only gripes that many people had is a couple of down postseasons. But aside from that, I mean, to your point there, Bruce, No, he was everything that you would hoped he would have been when he was going through the farm system and had all the hype before he got up here to the major league.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know you look at him and okay, get a couple down playoffs, he wasn't really quite the player he was coming back from that ankle injury, you know, in September and then the two games that.
Speaker 6: You lost in the playoffs.
Speaker 7: But for the Cubs, it's a guy that they can put second or third in their lineup pretty much. Count on thirty and one hundred, play a solid defense up until you know, last year he only played what sixty nine games something like this, seventy one games. He was steal in thirty bases as well, so I don't see too many holes in his game. I think that the Cubs really needed to step up their game. In the Central Division of the National League. The general manager, president and general manager have one year remaining on their contract. Eighty three wins the last two years was just not cutting it. So the offense is going to be perked up the Cubs.
Speaker 6: They're not done yet.
Speaker 7: We're talking to the Yankees about Dollinger right now, talking to numerous other teams about starting pitching. You know, some of the smaller market teams once some of the young hitters in the Cub organization. Shaw and Casey are two guys that are being coveted by a lot of different teams. So I think you're going to see over the next week or ten days comes to make at least one, probably two more trades.
Speaker 3: And that's actually where I wanted to go with a final question for you, Bruce again. Bruce Levine joined US from six to seventy a score also Marquee Sports Network up there in Chicago. Could the Cubs be in on Alex Bregnan. I mean, doesn't that seem like that would be a great piece for them to be able to add after a couple of years ago giving that huge contract to Dansby Swanson.
Speaker 6: They don't want to go over the luxury tax.
Speaker 7: They hit right over it a little bit last year at about two hundred and forty one million. They're about two hundred.
Speaker 6: Million a little bit more right now.
Speaker 7: They're way over now, probably with Bellinger. They have to The first first big thing they have to do is they have to get themselves a starting picture that's a power arm. But as important, they're going to have to trade Dollinger's contract, which is thirty two point five million for this year. They have to loosen up the luxury tax situation, and either him or Suzuki are going to get traded probably before the first of the year. It's not that they don't like Dollinger, it's just that getting Tucker is a replacement and a superior player in their minds for Dolinger. Now they need the relief for the payroll of the thirty two point five million that they owe Dollinger for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Well, Bruce, say, we really appreciate your time, especially to on a Friday night hopping on to let us know here in Houston about Paritis Wesnski and also about Cam Smith. And yeah, we really appreciate you carving out a few minutes for us, and.
Speaker 7: Chris a pleasure call me anytime, take care of have a good night, all right.
Speaker 3: Appreciate Bruce Levine joining us last night on the Nightcap.
Speaker 2: If you miss any of that, download the free.
Speaker 3: iHeartRadio app and you can catch that anywhere anyway possible.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 3: Good stuff from Bruce Levine, and especially to hearing about Cam Smith.
Speaker 2: We'll get into a little bit.
Speaker 3: More on both him as well as Hayden was Nesky and also eastsoc Perettis is a huge part of the deal that the Astro's got in return for Kyle Tucker. If you want to jump board you can do so seven one three two one two five seven ninety once again at seven one three two one two five seven ninety because speaking of Perettis, I've got some interesting information about him that I think Astros fans will love to hear. We will talk about that on the other side right here this Space City Saturday on your home of the Astros, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Welong Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety forty Talk.
Speaker 3: Seven ninety and Matthew's here with you in the holiday spirit around here, and that is a good feeling, no doubt about it. Again, if you want to hop aboard on the phone lines, you can do so. Sebon one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's Sebone three two one two five seven nine zero. As the Astro is getting three players back in the Kyle Tucker trade, Conroe James, I wanted to know about number one while you trade away Kyle Tucker. I'll start with that part first, Conro, I mean you trade him because I think that as Dana Brown has been going through this offseason and maybe even trying to start some preliminary conversations with Kyle Tucker's representatives about possibly bringing him back, that it was pretty much expressed to him, especially after the deal that Juan Soto just got that Kyle is going to be looking for a similar.
Speaker 2: Type of deal.
Speaker 3: I think we can agree the Astros are not going to be paying down that type of a deal. So when that happens, eventually you start to say, okay, well, maybe if we start to let teams know, hey, we're interested in taking phone calls on this guy, if you're interested in possibly adding him to your organization. And of course that's when you get teams that start to reach out and say, yeah, I would like to have Kyle Tucker out in right field. And not only that, I mean I think a team like the Cubs that as of right now, looking to avoid getting over the competitive balance tax threshold, as you just heard Bruce Levine talk about, that you can add a guy this season that can be an upgrade to a guy that they're trying to ship out and Cody Bellinger, and not only trying to ship him out, but also to trying to, you know, give themselves an opportunity to remain competitive. And I don't have any doubts that after this season the Cubs could come back and offer age deal to Kyle Tucker and keep him their long term or be able to you know, move on from there and kind of retool on their own end. That's the Cubs business if they want to do. But in terms of the players the Astros got in return, I mean, you heard Bruce talk about Cam Smith and just you know how much of a tough send away that was for the Cubs as part of that deal, because he's a guy that's already in the minor leagues and I think not even a full year in the minor league system for the Cubs, already up to Double A, so he's probably about a year away from being an impact player for this team.
Speaker 2: And also too, you heard Bruce mention.
Speaker 3: That there's belief with his power possibilities that Smith could be a star in this league. So I think that's another thing that has to excite you if you're an Astros fan out there, and I mean, yes, I think if you want to see Cam Smith this year, you're probably gonna need to go down to sugar Land and watch them with the Space Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Maybe even he's a September call up for this team.
Speaker 3: And then finally next year you go to spring training and you see if he can crack the organization with you and be able to make a run at the everyday twenty six man roster in twenty twenty six. So I think that's what you get with him. But with Perettis, you know, we talked about him a little bit, and you heard Bruce mention about his poll power. And I was talking with a buddy of mine yesterday off air that covers the Rays, has been part of their radio network for some time, and I just said, hey, you know, what can you tell me about Perettis? And he wrote me back. Much better defender than you'd think, with him being a stockier guy, a guy that even played a little bit of shortstop there in Tampa Bay when he was with the Rays, but of course playing third, which is his primary position, playing a little bit of first as well. Strict pull hitter like big time Pool, he goes. He'll shoot the ball the other way every once in a while for a single, but all of his power is to left. Said, never seen a guy be so pull dominant, he goes. I think the older he gets, his bat will slow down, but you have to remember he's only twenty five. I think I think he can be really good for the Astros, and he goes Yep. I think he'll be a really great fit. Can play anywhere in the infield, as best is at the corners, but like I said, played short a couple of times, which was weird to see again because given his stature, you wouldn't think he'd be playing shortstops. So that's at least what it feels like the Astros are getting in peretis. He's been a guy that's been a twenty to twenty five home run guy playing in a ballpark that is okay for power hitters in the trop there in Tampa, and then of course last year went over to the Cubs, and he even talked about yesterday when he met with the media that he had to adjust a little bit to playing at Wrigley Field. But we'll see how he is able to adjust to every day playing at Minute May Park. So that's what the Astros able to pick up in that deal. So Conro, good on you. I appreciate you bringing that up for discussion here, but that's where we were going anyway. So just wanted to give you all a little bit of the dossier on all three players the Astros just got back in return. So that is what we get there, but coming up next we'll continue the conversation on the Astros again if you want to weigh in kind of this hot stove edition of Space City Saturday. The rumor this morning about Nolan Aeronauto what could that mean for the Astros?
Speaker 2: Also, what could it mean in.
Speaker 3: Terms of are they out on the Alex Bregman sweepstakes.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of what I'm seeing out there on the rumor mill in terms of how the Astros are going to conduct their business going forward.
Speaker 2: So we'll do that on the other side, and.
Speaker 3: Of course too in the eleven o'clock hour, we'll get into a little bit of Texans conversation as well as some Rockets as well. So we'll cover it all soup to nuts from here until noon, as our one is in the books. Right here on Space City Saturday, I'm Dan Matthews here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Welcome aboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety, Dad Matthews Live and local h town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here, we.
Speaker 1: Love you all, So finish up on that to do list, flute up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start now bear me in the eight this is Space City Saturday.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 1: Here's seven nineties, Dad Matthews.
Speaker 3: Indeed, it is the way we go here in our two of Space City Saturday. If you want to jump aboard, do so subone three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's sub one three two one two five seven nine zero. As I mentioned, with the football season kind of starting the wind down just a little bit. I mean, you get to the part of the season where it's FCS football being on the major networks and incarnate word out of San Antonio playing right now. But that's kind of the time of the year for most of us out there that are football fans, especially college football fans. We kind of look at it and say, yeah, this is a good day to be able to.
Speaker 2: Go out and knock off some of that Christmas list.
Speaker 3: So I know some of you out there the Galleria, Woodland's Mall, Baybrook, Willowbrook, wherever it might be that you're out there, maybe even some of you, you know, just pulled off somewhere on the phone, scrolling through taking out the card to be able to put in the card information and just have a chipped to your door, whatever.
Speaker 2: Way you do it.
Speaker 3: Either way, I hope that you have a great holiday season. As know that school's starting to be let out a little bit, so I know that the kid's going to be around a little bit more so that's a little bit more fun.
Speaker 2: But anyway, hopefully everybody is.
Speaker 3: Getting around, getting where they need to go and getting there safely. Here on this Saturday, again Dan Matthews here with you is so we continue the Astros conversation and again phone number if you want to jump aboard some one three two one two five seven ninety. You can also hit me up on Twitter at Dan Matthews hou is where you can hit me up. And one thing that I did want to get into here actually before we get into the Astros third base conversation, because there is a little bit of stuff out there on where things could be headed in that regard a shout.
Speaker 2: Out a happy birthday.
Speaker 3: I think if you follow the Astros on social media, you know where I'm going with this Happy birthday to number seven Craig Vigio or as Milo used to call him by Gio, but uh, anyway, coach as I call him of course for a long time being the head baseball coach over at my proud high school alma mater, Saint Thomas High School. But anyway, happy birthday to number seven, the Astros first Hall of Famer, So we love to see that for Craig, and always always a pleasure to be able to run into Craig whenever you see him out at the ballparks. So he is definitely one of the really good guys here in our city.
Speaker 2: But anyway, happy birthday to Craig Vigio.
Speaker 3: So the Astros where things stand right now with third base. Earlier this morning, Chandler Rome just before ten o'clock with a report that the Astros were starting to show serious interest in making a trade for Nolan Aernado and Aeronauto. I think in many ways is pretty much in the same mold as Alex Bregman.
Speaker 2: The bat has started to.
Speaker 3: Dip just a little bit, but still considered to be an elite fielder over at third base. And yes he does have a huge contract still remaining. I think it's seventy four million over the next three years remaining for Aeronado. As last year he was a two seventy two hitter. He hit sixteen home runs, knocked in seventy one runs, had an OPS plus of one pH one. His career has been one twenty, so well above average there, and his OPS was one of the lower years that he's had in quite some time, seven nineteen, so it was along with his rookie season, a career wasn't a career low. I mean, his rookie season was seven oh six that year. He was seven nineteen last year, but I mean before that he had been consistently in the high seven hundreds, even into the eight hundreds. I mean, he was an eight ninety one thirty home runs and one hundred three runs batted in when he hit two ninety three in two thousand and two with the Saint Louis Cardinals. He's been with the Cardinals for the last four years. And like Bregman too, I mean he's a guy that plays pretty much every single day. Played one hundred and fifty two games last year, one hundred and forty eight a couple of years ago, one forty four in twenty twenty three, So he posts he plays he's out there almost every single day. And I've mentioned Ari Alexander Kprc too. Ari has been all over these stories all week, and he threw out kind of going along with Chandler's reporting that yes, the Astros are indeed showing interest in trying to make a trade for Aeronato, but also that coming from two sources, but that they are still in on trying to bring Bregman back. And that's according to three different sources. And I understand too, the angst in terms of Bregman number one. I mean, I think that people look at it and say, well, the Astros just don't want to spend that money. I think that it really just kind of comes down to a couple of things. They're one on the Astro side, one on the Bregman side.
Speaker 2: I think on.
Speaker 3: The Astros side, it's committing the amount of money that in the amount of years that Bregman probably is looking for. I mean, I think that the Astros, at least by their history, have shown you they don't want to go above.
Speaker 2: Three years or excuse me, six years.
Speaker 3: And you know, Bregman probably is a guy that wants to get into the seven eight year category of where he is in his career, going to be thirty one, I believe this year. And then on the Bregman side of things, I think it's kind of a question of, look, if I if I commit to you guys, what does this mean going forward? I mean, does this mean that you know it's going to be kind of, as Dana Brown said at the end of last season, trying to get really creative with how this thing is put together. And does that mean that we take a step back, that postseasons are missed, that maybe you know, we're not in real position to be able to compete for titles around here in the near future.
Speaker 2: And I think that that's a question that's.
Speaker 3: Kind of in these conversations that he and Scott Boris and Dana Brown are having right now. And I'm sure that from the Brown side it's well, no, I mean, you're a huge part of us staying contention, but also too, I mean a little bit of the plans going forward. But it's also too I've seen, you know, and even some people have reached out to me again at Dan Matthews hou Is. He can find me on Twitter about you know, Bregman. Oh, they're moving on. It's it's done. It's it's not that there is going to be any any chance that the Astros are going to bring him back. I actually take it the stance that Dana Brown has kind of been.
Speaker 2: Through this before.
Speaker 3: So you remember that he came over from the Atlanta Braves, and the Braves of course their GM alex Anthopolis a couple of years ago after the after the lockout had ended, that he had to make a quick decision of do you make a one last minute run at Freddie Freeman or do you try to move on. And the Braves at that time it was a situation of they wanted to bring back Freeman, there was no doubt about it. But it was also too they realized, hey, if a guy like Matt Olsen comes available, we have to jump on matt Olsen because he's younger, he's going to be cheaper. Which I know that fans look at it and they equate that that means you're not serious about winning. But I think if nothing else, you have to also take it from the standpoint of no, that is how serious you are about winning, because you want to be able to add other really good players. I think I've told you before and I think it's going to play out here with Dana that. You know, when we had talked with Alex in the past, Anthopless in Atlanta, he had talked about his philosophy on long term contracts that he would much rather have six, seven, eight guys that are in that five to six year contract range making about twenty to twenty five maybe a shade above twenty five million dollars a year, and be able to build a roster around that core, as opposed to you go out and you get the massive superstar that you've got to pay upwards of thirty thirty five, forty million a year, and that way you have to get a little bit more creative in terms of how you're building out your roster because there's a competitive balance, tax, there's all these other things that you have to look into. And I think that that's a little bit at play here. And it's also too I think a similar playbook being shown right now with the ASTRA. I mean, look, you know, despite their best efforts and everything they might try to do, it just might not be good enough for Alex Bregman. I mean that's something that I think you have to wrestle with as a real a realistic possibility for the way that this thing is going, and they know that. So that is why you're seeing the rumors of Aeronauto, maybe even Jorge Polanco as a possibility, or you know, do you kind of pivot and go somebody that's a you know, not as expensive an option as Pete Alonso or maybe even Christian Walker over at first base, and you know, you have Perettes be your everyday third baseman. And then you know, of course, when Cam Smith is ready, does that mean that Perettis kicks across over to first base and he's your everyday first baseman you kind of interchange him every once in a while. Any of those things, I mean, I think if nothing else, you're just kind of looking for roster flexibility at this point. And again that's where the Astros are where they need to be in terms of building up their roster. You don't have a farm system that has readily available players that can come up and be impact players for you immediately. Those days are gone, so you have to be able to build this thing up as much on the fly as possible in terms of again having as many guys that can play numerous different positions. I mean, I know, Mauricio Dubond's name is thrown out there, and I love what Mauricio Dubon has done, but I don't think you can count on Mauricio Dubon being somebody that can be an everyday impact player for you. I think that he is exactly in the position that you want him to be right now, a really good utility man that has probably overperformed with the bat that's got a shelf life. And I think the Astros know that as well. So this is why you have to continue to try to find two or three other guys that can be flexible position wise and be able to help your roster and lengthen out your lineup and be able to put you in contention to win. So I think that all of that is kind of in play right now. But one more note on Aeronato Astros underscore numbers on Twitter, throwing out that since twenty twenty two, Nolan Aeronado has a forty eight point one percent poll rate, nineteenth highest among qualified hitters eat Soak perettis second fifty three point six and their point was, I think we found out what the Astros are trying to do for the lineup. I mean, yeah, look, I've said it numerous times. This is a lineup that last year was known for two things, solo home runs and singles. And I think that as the meetings have been going along this offseason that Dana Brown has kind of talked to his staff and said, we can't continue down this path. That's not winning baseball. You saw it in the postseason last year. You could not buy an extra base hit. The only extra base hit you got in those two games was the Jordan Alvarez double in the ninth inning. Aside from that, they were all the single base variety singles exactly. So that's something that you need to be able to try to find that. Yeah, you try to go out and find these guys like Perettas and maybe even like Aeronado that you got a couple runners on base pal it's a three run, it's a three run homer at that point, and that's something that they missed last year. So I think that's another directive in terms of how they want to build out this roster for twenty five. And that is something that we could see playing out, but as Chandler has pointed out to with Aeronado, nothing seems imminent at this point, And I mean that's really if you follow the timeline of this week how it went with the Kyle Tucker trade, that's pretty much how these things go. There's the report, then there is it's gaining steam, and you know, a day or two later it's, oh, hey, the Astros just pulled off this deal. So we'll see if it continues to go down that pathway. But speaking of Chandler, I know that, you know, the Astros have talked a lot about, you know, the way that they're building out their roster going forward, and Chandler has been all over the reporting of all the moves that could be made or have been made. But in the case of Chandler Rome, he joined us yesterday on the A team. We will hear from him next as we had him on immediately after the news came down about Kyle Tucker. So we will play that visit for you coming up right here on Space City Saturday again. I'm Dan Matthews here in your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: We now return to Space City Saturday Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 10: Everybody settled down out there, Let's get some rational thinking on a big, big news day here on the Houston sports landscape, and for that course, when it comes to the Houston Astros especially we go to our weekly guest in season. But he's been spending a lot of time on the show lately because there's been so much going on. And finally today Chandler Rome of the Athletic we had the Kyle Tucker news come down.
Speaker 2: Just initial thoughts.
Speaker 10: I'm I'm from the perspective that I didn't ever see them re signing him anyway, So at least this isn't you know the show, Hey o Tani from the angel situation. You want to get something for him as opposed to just letting him walk for nothing.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, after Monday night, it became pretty clear that this was the direction they were going.
Speaker 12: You know, I may have said it on here earlier, but you know, when.
Speaker 11: Dana Brown said that they can still win the American League West without Tucker or Valdez without either one, like without one of them, that to me just signaled that they were this was the route they were going. Still, to see it happen is pretty Stunning's not the wrong not the right word, because we've expected it, but I mean, it runs, it runs, so counter to everything they've done during this decade and how they've operated and things like that. But it just shows that this franchise is in a far different place than it was, you know, maybe six seven years ago. I mean, short of Jim Crane running a three hundred million dollars payroll.
Speaker 12: I didn't see a logical way in which.
Speaker 11: This team could improve its standing in twenty twenty six in twenty twenty seven without doing something like this. And I think it's become pretty clear that Jim Crane, while he spends money and while he had I mean, he carried the fourth largest payroll in baseball last year, he's also not going to go to the Dodgers territory to the Mets territory in terms of total money.
Speaker 12: So they had to be smart.
Speaker 11: They had to, you know, make some difficult decisions, and this was one of them.
Speaker 9: The return at some point everybody turns to I turned to it immediately, looking at the twenty twenty five astros, and you obviously mentioned the bigger picture twenty six and twenty seven. Just your thoughts initially on these three players that come back and return, and my first question about those three has to be, you know, is Cam Smith the hopeful clear best player they added in this deal, just obviously not.
Speaker 2: Where he is today.
Speaker 12: Sure, I think he's.
Speaker 11: The one that he's the one that we'll be looking at in three or four years to judge how good this trade was. Eastak Paratus, You really you have to put lump him in there too. I mean, this is a guy that he's he's got I believe three more years of team control, like this is gonna be a fixture for them.
Speaker 12: He's gonna be a face, it's gonna be in that lineup a good bit.
Speaker 11: He plays both corner spots the actors were going to play in at first base last.
Speaker 12: Year, had he had they acquired him at the trade deadline.
Speaker 11: This year, they have a vacancy at both third base and first base. If you made me guess right now, I'd probably say he's your opening day third basement.
Speaker 12: But things, obviously, things can change.
Speaker 11: There's another third basement out there that everyone's curious about. But you know, I think Cam Smith's certainly surely becomes the best prospect in this farm system, which is not saying a whole lot, but still he's a really good prospect.
Speaker 12: A lot of guys a lot.
Speaker 11: Of people in the industry really really like him. You know, is he maybe the third basement of the future. Is he maybe a guy that you see what he can do up the middle as Josel two bays getting older like you never know, but certainly you look at Parade and was Nesky should impact the twenty twenty five asterers right away. Be fascinating to see what they do with was Neski. He's relieved, he's started. He's been a swingman, but this is where the ashers are best. You saw it with Kakuchi last year. You see it with other pictures. You know, was Neski's numbers don't look great, but this is He's coming to a franchise that knows how to unlock pictures and make them better.
Speaker 10: Talking to Chandler Roam of the Athletic Here on Sports Talk seven ninety on the Dave Kyle Tucker is traded to the Chicago Cubs, you mentioned that the organization is, you know, taking a different road as opposed to how it's done things throughout this this uh, you know, this championship window that they've had for nearly a decade. That's interesting just to hear that statement. Considering they're on their third general manager during that run, and fourth if you count Jeff Bagwell. My next question, as it pertains to that, would be, okay, does this actually mean maybe they do hang on to Alex Bregman or is he just the next domin that's likely to fall?
Speaker 11: You know, as long as he's out there, they have a chance. As long as he's not resigned somewhere, they have a chance. But you know, bringing Paradis over, I mean it's a pretty it's a pretty simple plug and play there. I mean, he's played, Paradis has played first base in the past, but third basis is better position. To me on paper, it doesn't look I mean, this would not pretend well for them to bring Alex Gregman back, but who knows. I mean, as long as he's still out there, the actress would still have conceivably a chance. But you look at what the Yankees did today. They improved their club without spending money. I know they I know they gave Max Free two hundred and eighteen million dollars, but they were able to get the best closer, one of the best closers in baseball, for just prospect capital, for just players, and they just had a seven hundred and sixty million dollar offer on the table for Loan Soto, so they've got money to spend, so they need a third baseman.
Speaker 12: I think the Red Sox are still in it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 12: I do wonder too if there's a.
Speaker 11: Team that we're not talking about that's just kind of lurking on Bregman. I mean, we've talked about the Tigers a little bit. Whether the Tigers kind of make that push or whether there's a team on the cusp of contention that is going to kind of shock everybody and and make Alex Bregman kind of the face of their next team. I don't know, but uh, well, they picked up au Henio Swarez his option, so he.
Speaker 12: Is in trench there.
Speaker 11: But I mean they could move him, sure, sure, but it doesn't seem like the it doesn't seem like the Dbacks would go into that into the pool money wise, but they may not have a choice given what's going on in the NL West.
Speaker 12: I mean, the.
Speaker 11: Giants got a domis the Dodgers or the Dodgers. The Padres are really really good. I mean, they want to keep competing in that division, they may have to make a big move.
Speaker 12: So Yeah, they could be.
Speaker 11: Someone involved, but they do have It should be noted they do have au Heno Swarez under contract next year.
Speaker 12: He would play their base.
Speaker 9: We talked quite a bit about some of the fallback options there might be if Bregman signed elsewhere. They have taken care of that, as you just said, presumably with Perett's playing third base, but in the process have opened up a different vacancy in the outfield and still the vacancy at first base. Are there other free agent names of whatever value they might command this offseason that you believe Dana Brown and the Astros and Jim Crane are actually interested in potentially bringing to Houston.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I think they're gonna have to look in the reliever market, They're gonna have to look in the in the starting market.
Speaker 12: I think now this puts them they're.
Speaker 11: Going to have to go get an established outfielder, a left handed hitting outfielder, and that was there. They've been needing to do that all all off season, even that they've been talking about. They didn't even before they traded Tucker. But so I think they're going to be in the market for an outfielder. You know, I've heard that while it's not considered you.
Speaker 12: Know, serious or close or anything.
Speaker 11: They have checked in on Nolan Aarnado, who is available to via trade with the Cardinals, but he makes a lot of money and he has no trade clause, which means he can, you know, have authority on where he goes.
Speaker 12: So they they have at least checked in on him. So I guess we'll see.
Speaker 11: But you know, I think right now they may need to sit down for a little bit reassessed, let the gravity of this maybe dissipate for a day or two. But I think their needs now are the same that they were always started.
Speaker 9: The off season, just out of curiosity one player in particular, switch hitting outfield or Anthony Sontan dare. Do you think the Astros would dive into that territory neighborhood of you know, four years, eighty five years, one hundred and something for a player like that.
Speaker 2: Would they go that long, that much money with a player like that?
Speaker 10: You think?
Speaker 11: I find again, I find that hard to believe, because if they're going to do.
Speaker 12: That, then why not just turn back to Bregman?
Speaker 11: Like if you're going to go that aav if you're going to go like a twenty five thirty million dollars av like I would think Bregman would be the guy, but maybe they don't value Bregman like you know, other teams do. I'm not sure, but yeah, I think this could open it up for you know, maybe a little bit of a deeper look Anthony Santander a guy that can play one of the corner spots. This obviously, you know, do you look at teams that are have outfield surplus and do you look to trade other places? Because look, there's other pieces on this roster, on this major league roster that that can be used in trades, you know, whether it's Valvez, whether you start looking at some of the guys making you know a little bit less you know, does this put Chas McCormick on the block?
Speaker 12: If if they can go find.
Speaker 11: A more proven, concept, more proven outfielder, does this put Chas McCormick on the trade block? Is maybe somebody that they can they can get a more veteran outfielder for I'm not sure. So there could be they could go a ton of different ways with this, but I.
Speaker 12: Don't know that they have it all figured out right now.
Speaker 11: It's gonna take a little it's gonna take a little.
Speaker 10: Bit, so again Bregman is resigning, right, Please.
Speaker 2: Don't please don't look.
Speaker 11: Look, guys, I have I have, I have concert tickets tonight behind them.
Speaker 12: I'm I'm just happy that.
Speaker 11: I'm just happy this went down now because I I could have envisioned myself being at this concert hall after participating in some activities and being in no condition to talk to you or to write any of this stuff.
Speaker 12: Wait, Chamings, thanks to Dana and Jed for getting this done.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 10: Please tell me that you're going to see Richard Marx at the Arena Theater tonight.
Speaker 12: Who is that? Is he a Marx brother? I thought they were dead?
Speaker 10: No, it's different, it's a different marks, no relation, Chandler.
Speaker 2: We know you're very busy.
Speaker 10: We appreciate you taking the time out on the fly. Good stuff as always, and I'm sure we'll catch up very soon after the Bregman deal follows.
Speaker 12: All right, thanks guys.
Speaker 3: Richard Marx twenty one jump street right, if I'm not mistaken, No, maybe wrong anyway, Yeah, Chandler, if you didn't know that, then me, at thirty nine years old, I would not know that either. No, it was Richard Griico is who I was thinking of, right, Yeah, that's right. Richard Griico was twenty one Jump Street, so anyway, dated reference, I know. But anyway, we've done an hour and a half of Astro's conversation. You know the rules here on Space City Saturday if you didn't have a chance to get into it, but it's been covered. It's fair games, so if you want to way in going forward, you can do so again seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's sebon one three two one two five seven ninety, but a couple of segments left to go coming up next. Let's get into some Texans conversation. An interesting bit of news regarding the Texans leading into tomorrow's game that definitely want to share with you and react to. So we'll do that next right here, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Space City Saturday continues, Sey Matthews with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know Astros fans out there, Texans fans too, hoping that you don't see the Grinch trying to come in and steal Christmas.
Speaker 2: I don't think you will.
Speaker 3: But anyway, a good pool right there by Melvin Brown here on Space City Saturday. Again, Dan Matthews here with you. We got up until noon, and don't forget, I'll be coming back your way Rockets launch Pad leading you up to the Rockets and the Thunder tonight from Las Vegas, part of the play in Tournament. And like I said, saw Matt Thomas out there at the Blackjack tables last night, so he's having himself a good time out there. And hopefully the Rockets able to extend their stay there in Vegas for the play in Tournament, because if they win the night, we'll go ahead and see who wins the earlier game this afternoon between the Atlanta Hawks and the Milwaukee Bucks, and whoever wins that, that's who plays for the entire thing next week.
Speaker 2: So that's what we have to look forward to. Again.
Speaker 3: If you want to weigh in on the phone lines, you can do so seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's seven one three two one to five seven nine zero. So the Texans know that they're going to be without Juice Scruggs for some time. Got a foot issue, not gonna be able to go tomorrow and likely not gonna be able to go for at least the next couple of games after that at least, and Aaron Wilson, our own buddy, our own Sports Talk seven to ninety contributor, throwing out a report about thirty minutes ago that the Texans are going to move Titus Howard from right tackle to left guard for tomorrow's game against the Dolphins, and rookie Blake Fisher going to be at the right tackle spot, so the offensive line would look like going from left to right Tunsul Howard, Patterson, Jack Mason, and then also to Fisher there at the right tackle spot. I mean, look, this is kind of a situation twofold with the Texans at this point. I think, you know, the first thing you're looking at is they're just the first and foremost trying to find a group of five that's going to be able to protect CJ. Stroud and be able to give them an opportunity to get the line moving. And I think we can probably agree that two of the best offensive linemen for the team this year have been your tackles, both, you know, Tunsil and Howard. I mean, I understand that Tunsil wears a lot of frustration from Texans fans, and Howard too a little bit as well with the pre snap penalties things like that. But I mean, you know, in terms of this season, the interior of the offensive line has been an issue. And what my guess is with the conversations that the coaching staff over thereon Kirby had about their offensive line was Okay, what can give us the best opportunity to be able to put our best offensive line together? And I think it's also too as well. I mean, you look at a standpoint of you spent a second round pick on Blake Fisher. You want to see what he's got, and you've been able to see it a couple of times this year, either through injury or through just necessity of having to have him play. But you haven't had him play consistent snaps this season. And I think that now this is kind of one of those where you might be saying, well, wait a minute, Dan, in this final four game stretch of the season, this is not a time to be doing experiments. I would actually disagree. I think that this is absolutely the time to be able to do set experiment because you want to find out what you've got in him and if he's somebody that you know, if you don't feel incredibly good about what he gives you from the right tackle spot, then maybe eventually you look at him on the inside. It doesn't sound like they have any designs of doing that, but it's also too as well. I mean you've got to find out number one can he play? And number two where would be the best spot on the line for him to play. I mean, this could be something that if it works incredibly well, that all of a sudden Nick Cassario and his staff there in terms of building out this roster for the teams going forward, they say to themselves, all right, well, well, now we've got three spots on the offensive line that we feel really good about.
Speaker 2: What about the other two?
Speaker 3: And if that's either through the draft or if that's going out free agency, trade, anything like that, that's where you can find it. I mean, if I had the guests without looking at Shack Mason's contract number, just the way he's played this season, I would probably guess this is the end of the line for Shaq Mason. I think it's a little bit of kind of a wait and see on Patterson and Scrugs on the interior. I mean, if you feel like one can be better than the other as your center, or maybe even two. I mean, you know, who's to say that this group doesn't work and that Drew Scruggs comes back and you feel like, hey, we can slide Scrugs in at the right or right guard spot and that's a way that you're able to kind of build up this line from there. And I know that some people might look at it and say, oh, well, isn't it just as simple as you know, being able to you know, plug in guys in any spot on the line and it's just going to work out?
Speaker 2: Not necessarily.
Speaker 3: I mean, the right tackles responsibilities are far different than what the left tackles. Responsibilities are. The center different from right or left guard. So I mean it is something that you would have to practice through. You'd have to even go through what experience do you have at those positions? Because again, I mean it's responsibilities, it's the calls, it's all of these different things that you look through and try to determine, you know, all right, you know, does this guy slot out better at being at this position or does this guy play better at another position? I mean, I think that that's something that you kind of have to work through, and that's what it sounds like the Texans are doing in terms of trying to get ready for tomorrow's game. In terms of the availability of players for this one tomorrow, the only player that's ruled out at this moment is Jews Scruggs. Nick Broker has a hand issue. He's been somebody that's not been active for most of the season, So I mean, I don't necessarily know if you were kind of counting on him to be ready to go for this one.
Speaker 2: Kenyan Green.
Speaker 3: I mean, you heard Bobby Slowich say it earlier this week, and we played the audio on the A team that they're saying, you know, they've got to be able to try to get him healthy again. I mean, even though he's been designated to return, he's missed some time and also too, I mean, I think a huge part of that as well is that it might kind of be the beginning of the end for Kenyan Green with the Texans. I mean, just kind of looking at what they've been able to get out of them, and I don't think that it necessarily has met what they hoped that they were getting when they drafted him.
Speaker 2: Ount of TEXTA seeing him, So I think that's another part of it. As well.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, you've gotten good football out of Scruggs, You've gotten good performances out of Jared Patterson, that it's kind of like, where does he fit in? I mean, do we even need to rush him back at this point? And again, you know I talked about it earlier with trying to find out what you have of Blake Fisher. I think that's a part of it as well of you know, we've given Kenyan Green a chance. Now it's time for us to give this guy a chance and see what he's got. So I think that's kind of playing into this a little little bit as well. In terms of Christian Harris with the calf, he's questionable, but it sounds like he's going to be a go for this one. I don't expect much out of Christian Harris tomorrow, honestly. I mean, I think you're probably looking at mixing and matching a little bit in terms of series. If I had to guess who the starting linebackers are going to be, you're looking at Neville Hewitt and you're looking at Henry Tollato. That's who you're going to be seeing the most of tomorrow. Devin White, I think with the amount of time that he's been out with this team this year in terms of being on the field and going through practices, everything of the sort, I think he would probably be the next option to be able to cycle in in those rotations.
Speaker 2: But maybe fifteen twenty plays.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow out of Christian Harris, I think is kind of what you're looking at. I mean, the goal now with getting Harris back at this point is to try to these next few games kind of treated almost like his preseason and maybe that final game against the Tennessee iTANs as kind of, hey, all right, let's give him full go here, let's see what he's got, and then hopefully if you're able to get into the playoffs then that wild card round. He's pretty much at mid season shape at that point, so that's what you get for him being out for the first fifteen weeks of the season. So, I mean, he's missed about three and a half months of football at this point, so it's kind of hard to think that he can come in and plug and play immediately, and especially too at that linebacker spot. I just don't see it being the case. So anyway, that's what it looks like for the Texans. Tomorrow against the Miami Dolphins. Again, a noon kick over there at NRG Stadium. Yours truly, Adam Wexler. We'll be over there, and of course after the game, getting stuff from the postgame locker room. But a fun NFL weekend nonetheless, I mean, of course, with us paying attention to what's going on over there, we'll be paying attention in the afternoon two as well to what's happening with the Colts and the Broncos as well as I think a lot of Texans fans are huge Bronco fans tomorrow, especially with what's on the line between the Texans and the Colts at this point.
Speaker 2: I've said it numerous times.
Speaker 3: I mean, even though you're in your tougher part of the schedule, this is the Texans division to lose, and if they do end up losing out on the AFC South, then it's only them to blame. I mean, you know, it's a game tomorrow where you've lost too straight at NRG Stadium. You want to be able to break that schneid right there, and also too, I mean the following week you go up to Kansas City, a team that I think is kind of tempted fate quite a bit this season. So to believe that the Texans don't have a chance to win that game, I think would be foolish. And then finally a team that they just have not been able to solve the puzzle for pretty much the entire existence of this organization, the Baltimore Ravens on Christmas Day. That'll be a tough one and no doubt about it. So that's what Texans have here going forward, all right?
Speaker 2: Coming up next the Rockets.
Speaker 3: Good things from them the other night, good things for most of this season, and tonight I think is another proving ground for them.
Speaker 2: I'll explain what I mean next as.
Speaker 3: We close out this edition of Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Space City Saturday, Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 2: Ninety Sports Talks seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Ian Matthews here with you on a two Christmases away Saturday. So that's what we have for two weeks away from Christmas.
Speaker 2: What a week and a half. I don't know who days, you know.
Speaker 3: Look, the only thing I know is today is Saturday, all right, and it's eleven forty nine. Right now, That's that's what I know, all right, Don't ask me for many more details.
Speaker 2: Don't get too demanding with me. Okay, it's been a long week.
Speaker 3: I think once you get to this point, you're kind of like, eh, whatever, details, semantics. I'll let Adam Wexler worry about that. But anyway, the Rocket's coming your way tonight right here on your home of the Rockets Sports Talk seven to ninety as it will be NBA A Cup playing tournament semi finals for the Rockets tonight against the Oklahoma City Thunder. And of course to get to this point Wednesday night, you had to battle towards the end, and the Rockets able to do that. I mean, it was looking bleak right there with about a minute and a half to go. I mean, I think most of us are probably watching that game and we're just like, man, come on, like, seriously, we're gonna do this. You know, this is seriously what we're gonna do. We're gonna lose to these guys again. Then the Rockets able to knock down some shots, able to get some huge plays down the stretch, and of course to the foul which Steve Kerr he whined about, and we heard Steve Kerr whinding about it, but also too as well. By the way, I mean, unless I've missed it, has the NBA fined Steve Kerr.
Speaker 2: Yet for that? Or is it?
Speaker 3: Oh yet again another thing that works in the favor of Steve Kerr. Okay, yeah, but he wants to act like a huge victim here, got it? Okay, I just wanted to make sure, you know, I just want to make sure we're kind of on the same page here. But anyway, the NBA did come out with the last two minute report the next day and said that the only miscall there in the final two minutes was that Pajemski should have been called for a five seconds violation.
Speaker 2: So there you go, Steve Kerr.
Speaker 3: You can eat it and you can enjoy being at home with not being able to go to Vegas. That was the best part of Kerr's little whiny rant right there, was at the end when.
Speaker 2: He was like, I really wanted to go to Vegas.
Speaker 3: Well, you don't get to go to Vegas, and the Rockets do and looks like they're having fun out there.
Speaker 2: They met with the media yesterday.
Speaker 3: Gonna get the thunder tonight team that they were able to take down the last time they faced him after a really rough performance against them in the game that they played up in ok See.
Speaker 2: But now it's a.
Speaker 3: Chance for the Rockets to be able to, you know, try to not only you know, take another step in terms of signaling to the NBA world that you know, this team is taking a step forward in a team that is a legitimate competitor for the Western Conference. But I mean, I think it's also too for these young guys, you kind of get your first taste to playoff basketball. I mean, you know, it is a little bit more in the mold of the n C DOUBLEA Tournament, which most of the guys on this team are familiar with. I mean Jabari Smith junior taking part in the n C Double A tournament. I mean Fred van Vliet obviously definitely did I remember seeing Fred van Vliet play in the final four in that really good game against Louisville back a few years ago when that was the final four of Wichitas State, Louisville, Syracuse and Michigan there and of course Louisville able to win it that season. But he knows experience from that. But I mean just overall from this. I mean, I think that's another part of it, is that it's a chance to kind of, you know, show him like, this is the mindset you have to have during the playoffs, this is how you have to go about your business during the playoffs, and this is how you win in the playoffs. And I think that all of those things are kind of at play right now. But it will be a fun one tonight again Matt Thomas and Adam Wexler on the call. Matt there in Vegas, wex back here in our iHeartRadio Houston studios. So it'll be a fun time six thirty again coming your way with Rockets launch pad right here on your home of the Rockets. So look forward to doing that here a little bit later on. But you know, we've covered a lot of the astros today, which of course, I mean, you know, just to kind of put a bow on that from earlier, of course, yesterday making the trade to send Kyle Tucker up to the Chicago Cubs. In return you get eat SoC Perettis as well as picking up Hayden was Nesky, which hadn't talked a ton about him yet. I mean, I know you heard Bruce Levine talk about him a little bit earlier, and also so to a little bit from Chandler Rome when we played that visit with the A team yesterday. I mean, I think he's a guy that kind of fits in the mold of what the Astros have brought in the past. I mean last year relief picture wise, you know, kind of you know, somebody like they brought in in Taylor Scott of they felt like he's got good stuff.
Speaker 2: Maybe get with.
Speaker 3: Them on a couple of things, tweak some things here and there, and you're able to you know, make him into a viable option for you. And that's one thing I think, you know, the Astros go to spring training this year with the express purpose of trying to make him into a starter, because remember too, I mean, you know, you don't have Jose Rachidy. I mean he was non tendered, so I mean maybe you're able to sign him to a you know, a spring training invite deal or.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 3: But at the same time though, too, I mean, he's kind of in the same same group as Christian Hobby here is with the return from Tommy John surgery. So I mean those guys kind of going through you know, trying to build themselves back up and get back to being able to get back on a mound and throw on a regular basis. And that's something that I think you can kind of keep an eye on. But I mean, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Lance McCullers. I mean, you know, where do they go with him? I mean, you know, it's also too what happens with the possibility that maybe you trade Ryan Presley this offseason.
Speaker 2: And if that's the case. I mean, I've said it numerous times.
Speaker 3: I know Lance not necessarily, he's not very keen to doing the bullpen thing, but I mean, look, I think it kind of gets to a certain point of it seems like starter is not in the cards for you. So if that's not in the cards for you, then why would you not consider going to the bullpen where less taxing on your arm and less innings on your arm, less pitching, all those things kind of rolled into one and a chance for you to be able to stay healthy and.
Speaker 2: Prolong your career.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think if you're McCullers, you've got to really significantly consider that, and if you're able to kind of build him into that role, maybe he's some that can be a late ending guy for you. I mean, you know how effective he can be on the mound, and you know, it's just been a problem of being able to stay durable and stay out of having arm troubles. So that's been something that's been a little bit of an issue for him since being re uped a couple of years ago to that five year deal. So we'll see what happens with him. JP Frantz also to another guy that was able to do some really good things for you in twenty twenty three, and now you want to see what he can do in twenty twenty five and beyond after trying to come back from that shoulder issue. So we'll see what happens on that front.
Speaker 2: But all in all, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I think it just kind of continues to show you that it's very much a fluid situation with the Astros, with you know, do you bring back Alex Bregman or do you decide to go elsewhere. I mean, you know, there's been the loose rumors out there and I haven't seen anything in terms of, you know, much from Brian McTaggart, Chandler Rome or even Ari Alexander which, by the way, too, I do want to take a quick second to shout those guys out, you know, I think that we need to be appreciative of what we've got in terms of those guys here in Houston with Tags, with Chandler, with Ari, because I mean, I know, when it comes to baseball and news, I mean, you know, passing is obviously very relied upon Ken Rosenthal, same deal and some others on the national front. But those guys, in terms of the work they put in and just how they work their story, it's just fantastic work. So I want to give them a little tip of the cap for being all over the stories this week from both at the Baseball League meetings, but also too from being able to, you know, just stay on top of the Kyle Tucker trade news and continuing to stay on this news with the Astros. So good stuff from them. That's gonna do it for us here on Space City Saturday. I want to think Melvin Brown behind the glass. I want to think all of you too, who hop the board with us here is don't forget again. Rocket in thunder NBA Cup playing Tournament semifinal game action tonight from Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Six point thirty Rockets launch Pad coming your way.
Speaker 3: I will be leading you up to Matt Thomas and Adam Wexler on the call. Dan Matthews here on your home of the Rockets and the Astros, Sports Talk seven to ninety It Spenspace City Saturday.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you all next week.