Speaker 1: Taboo science Science.
Speaker 2: Hi, Taboo Science listeners. While we're in between new episodes of the show, I wanted to introduce you to one of my very favorite podcasts. It's called Sing for Science, and it's what happens when you put a famous musician with a nerdy streak in a room with a scientist and record their conversation. Some of my favorite episodes have been wilco's Jeff Tweety talking about consciousness with Cornell computational psychologist doctor Shimon Edelman, Jose Gonzalez talking secular humanism with physicist Brian Cox, and Casey Musgraves talking psilocybin with my cologist Paul Stammetz. It was actually really hard to choose just one episode to share, but because Halloween is approaching, you are going to hear this fascinating conversation between Korn's Jonathan Davis and my science writing idol Mary Roach, all about mortuary science. It is taboo science, indeed, I hope you enjoy.
Speaker 3: Singh for Science is made possible in part by support from Science Sandbox, an initiative of the Simons Foundation. Today's episode was recorded remotely from Bakersfield, California, and Oakland, California, and it contains content related to mortuary science that some listeners may find disturbing. Be sure to check out our other episodes, and please enjoy the show.
Speaker 1: When I crack a brain a head open, it was decomposed, the brain was liquefied with soup, and.
Speaker 4: It comes out the ears. Someone told me sometimes it kind of bubbles out the ears.
Speaker 1: If you cut into the skull and you cracked the skull cap off.
Speaker 4: It's soup. Yeah. And then there's something called frothy purge, which I love lingo. I love the lingo of science, and there were some great ones.
Speaker 1: Frothy per It just bubbles come out of there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right right, the bubble's coming out. You've got your plane purge, your frothy purgey. Nun one one nine.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Sing for Science, the show where musicians and scientists talk about music and science. I'm your host, Matt White. Each week we'll talk about a song by our guest artist and how it connects with our guest scientists area of expertise. Today, we'll be speaking with Jonathan Davis, frontman of the pioneering metal band corn Korn's most commercially successful album, was nineteen ninety eight's followed the Leader, having hit number one across four charts and sold over fourteen million albums worldwide. The album's fourth track is called Dead Bodies Everywhere and was inspired in part by Jonathan's job working in a morgue before his music career took off. Also joining us is best selling popular science writer Mary Roach. Mary is the author of a string of one word science books, including Spook, Bonk, and Fuzz. The first in this series is two thousand and three Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, and won Mary several awards and critical distinctions. Her reporting not only details the unique scientific contributions of the deceased, but also provides elaborate explanations into the process of tissue decay and how mortuary science works to stall it. The title of this week's episode on the podcast is Dead Bodies Everywhere post Mortem Biology and Funerary Science. Hello, Jonathan and Mary, thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for having us.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't consider myself a morbid person, but this is a dream come true. I gotta tell you. I mean, I've been trying to find a reason to have both of you on the show for a while, and when I found out that you Jonathan used to not only work in a morgue, but also wrote a song related to that experience. So yeah, I mean the whole thing practically writes itself.
Speaker 1: For total songs about working there. What was the other one? There's one? Uh, pretty Oh that was when I worked a Uh it was an intense case. When I worked at the corner's office. We can get in that later, but there's that. And then the dead bodies was overflowing the morg when I worked at the mortuary.
Speaker 3: Okay, so dead bodies everywhere kind of spells out pretty clearly what must have been like to work in a morgue. But I know there's more to the song than just about that, can you.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, when I worked at the mortuary, my kitchen was overflowed for the morg There's literally dead bodies were everywhere when the morgue was fooled, and we would put some more into my kitchen, which I had a little apartment in the mortuary when we had too many, too many bodies or too many you know, bodies were backed up. We're waiting for funerals after we get done in bombing them. They would have to put them on, you know, on the tables, and they'd sit there waiting to get dressed and put in the caskets and all this stuff like that. So sometimes we get a lot of cases. And then my overflow was my kitchen and literally I come out of my bedroom when there's dead b everywhere. Holy shit.
Speaker 4: So it's good that they were embombed already. That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't want to know, you know, because that could be fragrant.
Speaker 1: Desumps are not fun.
Speaker 3: No, And so was this in Bakersfield? Yeah, because it's hot there, so you don't want a message.
Speaker 1: But they were bomb. What's here in bomb? They're fine?
Speaker 3: Were you still a teenager when you had this job.
Speaker 1: I first started doing posts when I was seventeen years old, Yes, and that was at the corner's office. And then from there I graduated high school and went directly to San Francisco College Mortuary science.
Speaker 4: Oh I went there was Mac there.
Speaker 1: Mac was Mac was my my chemistry and a teacher. Yeah, he was. He had this big kidney stone in his class that he said he they took out or pat It was ginormous. He was.
Speaker 3: I knew that there was going to be a gazillion points of connection that.
Speaker 1: This is a small little clique, it's a small small industry.
Speaker 3: So how did you get drawn into that world in the first place.
Speaker 1: I just always, since I think from I can remember, I was always drawn towards darker things. Those things intrigued me and still intrigue me. I mean, I'm going to love happiness and light and all that stuff too, but also there's the dark. And at that point in my mind, I was like thinking, Oh, when I was in high school, I went to this thing called Regional Occupation Program and they had the Corner's Office is one of the things you could go do. A lot of people were studying to go be X ray text or respiratory therapists, but I chose autopsy assistant. Wow, And it wasn't like a oh school, go just jump in there. I had to go through three different interviews and go through a psychological back and they I did all this stuff, all these different interviews and all this stuff to be able to do that, and I passed all of them. And I started my junior year of high school as an autopsy assistant for the County Corner's Office.
Speaker 3: And so do you remember your first autopsy, like yesterday.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget that. It was like you came face to face with mortality right there. It's like, and I learned it in college that America is a death denying society. We all think we're going to live forever, but when you're staring death right in the face. And this wasn't a very nice one. This was a car accident and this person was pretty beat up. It really shocked me. And I'll never forget the sound of a scalpel cutting flesh. I'll never forget the first time I saw the viscera lane opening up in a ye incision and seeing the vispery all there. I'll never forget those thing's doctor going there taking samples and then me having to sew them up. Just like. It really affected me.
Speaker 3: I mean, how could it not. It's just reality, Yeah, but dead bodies everywhere. There's another component to it. It seems like it addresses your relationship with your parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because of it, Like they wanted me to do this or that, like you need to get a go real job. That kind of just the normal stuff parents do. Because I'm a parent, I want my son to be successful. My sons to be successful, and they just wanted me to get a normal job, and I'm not normal. I guess what they a't on those terms. I chose to be a mortician or an autopsy assistant because I'm really, in my heart I wanted to be a musician, but they were pushing me, No, you can't. You're not going to make it as a musician. You need to have a real job. That kind of vine. Yeah, they kind of like pushed me into that. And then in turn, and I've always said this, I shouldn't have been doing autopsies at seventeen years old. I shouldn't have seen the things I saw at seventeen years old, because it really missed me up. I had nightmares for a long time. I had all kinds of stuff that I had to work through because I was subjected to this horrifying things that I saw at such an early age, but no one knew at the time, and I was really enjoyed it in the line on myself, but I saw some really bad stuff I shouldn't have seen.
Speaker 3: In the timeline of Korn's career. That was what five years before your first record, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was I worked at the mortuary when you see eighty nine went to Mortuary colleg ninety one ninety two, ninety three. I was doing my apprenticeship at the mortuary and I was a volunteer deputy corner and doing autopsies sometimes when they needed my home. And then my apprenticeship ended and I got the opportunity to go try out for this band and was did turn out to be Corn and I just left it all behind after that, Yeah, to go with my heart. What I really really want.
Speaker 3: To do is be a musician, right, And I was just looking at your last tour. I mean, you guys are still doing arenas. I mean, not many people get to do that besides Stones. Yeah, I don't know. It's just amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm very lucky to be just twenty eight years and I'm still playing amphitheaters and arenas, and I'm very very lucky. I know this.
Speaker 3: It's incredible. And what's interesting is it seems like you acknowledge that you've always kind of been drawn to the darker elements. And I dug up this profile of you guys, or maybe it was just a view from Melody Maker maybe late nineties, and they call you a quote an icon for the disturbed and dispossessed, you know, which kind of tracks with someone who might have had a job in a morgue. But they also they talk about your performance, and it was talking about the way that you were on stage and you were kicking, and it was kind of a withdrawn way of processing emotions. And I I watched a recent show of you guys, there was something so incredibly life affirming about it and open and positive, and not to say that the former maybe didn't have those elements, and I realized that was a much different chapter in your life. But I think it's worth remarking on that you're able to kind of combine those elements and you're still singing songs called dead Bodies everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, it's the way I've dealt with everything I've been through in my life. I've had a very happy life and now it's amazing. I mean, but I think it's like everybody. We have our ups and downs, and I choose to do my art on the darker stuff in my life and it really moves me. So when I get up there and sing those songs, I'm just letting loose. I let loose, I just go somewhere else, I let all the emotions come out, and then when I'm done, I just kick back and I'm happy because I don't have any of this stuff built up inside me. Yeah, it's just how I've figured out how to get through my life.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful thing to see, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it sounds like maybe just some degree, you're able to compartmentalize a lot of these interests. I mean, do you still have some interest in mortuary science.
Speaker 1: I mean I collect all kinds of stuff. I still love mortuary science. I have a bunch of of old mortuary equipment and stuff like that. I love medical preparations. I collect those old ones, old quack medicine stuff. There's all these different ones. There's these it's stupid, but I got like these just quack medicine stuff. This is a perfect one. These crazy box of rectal plugs are supposed to help you cure asthma and insomnia. Just funny, just I love that old quack medicine stuff.
Speaker 4: Bougies they call them bougies.
Speaker 3: Bougies is that those.
Speaker 4: Are the real dilators. And they would sell them in kits, like they'd get bigger and bigger, like you could have the advanced rectal dilator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which should be like you graduate, wow after so long? Yeah, just stuff like that I like to collect. I have a bunch of of like haunted artifacts and all kinds of stuff, more of the Macob stuff. That's just it inspires me and I love being around it.
Speaker 3: What's your source? Like? Is it an eBay? Do you look for that kind of thing?
Speaker 1: Just stuff finds me? Man, I swear yeah, I'm it really does. I don't actively go looking, but most of the stuff I founding my hunted doll stuff like that. It's because I go around like town and when I'm on tour, I'm gonna ask what is one thing in here that makes you feel the most uneasy? And there's always something. Oh, come here and not buy that.
Speaker 3: Were you familiar with Mary's book? Had that ever come across your desk?
Speaker 1: No? But I definitely want to check some of your books out. Well.
Speaker 3: This one is an amazing book. I got it for Christmas when it came out in two thousand and three or four, and it's still, not surprisingly, one of the most memorable books I've ever read. I can still retell certain passages. So, Mary, what stands out in your mind because exhaustive research went into this. You're visiting morgues, you're visiting crash tests with cadavers, you're visiting this body farm, which is insane. What stands out in your memory twenty years later, I.
Speaker 4: Think the I guess the body farm. But I was gonna say the very first chapter I reported was at the mortuary college that Jonathan went to, and it was the first time I'd seen a body other than I had a job as a janitor at college where I grew up in high school. I was a cleaner, but one time I got assigned to the morgue. But those bodies were all under these kind of clear plastic tarps, so it was which was kind of creepier in a way because it was dark, it was after hours, and I was like with my broom. So that's actually technically the first dead bodies I've seen. But the one that I saw, okay, the one that they were being trained on was a body. It was a reject. You know, this guy had donated himself to medical science, but he was rejected because he had an autopsy. So he's got this See he's like his torso is just like a gaping red hole, and I'm not prepared for that. And I'm like, heay, you know, with the viscera bag, but without the organs, you know, they're in the bag, and it's this just this blood red shell. And I realized years later because for a few days after that, that image kept popping into my head and I was thinking, maybe this book wasn't such a smart maybe I'm not okay with this.
Speaker 1: But again two.
Speaker 4: Days, three days later, the images started going away. But that is I realized much later. That's something people with PTSD have that, or these really gruesome things like that they've seen pop into their head. I don't know if you ever had.
Speaker 1: That, Jonathan, Yeah, a lot, because I did autopsy babies, oh Man, and toddlers in five and six year old children. I did autopsy on this little boy and we opened up this stomach. Can found a bag of rock cocaine in it that he ingested.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw just things like I said that. Oh, it still gets to me. I have children that just like. Oh, I became such a hard I had no feeling and I hated that I had to have no feelings. I want to insane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know this woman I met years later she's the medical examiner for Oakland, California. We have a lot of pretty grizzly crime here in Oakland. Yeah, and she she said, Okay, you know, I think she made it a personal goal to make me gag, which I had never you know, people would say, did this book, did you ever throw up? I'm like, nah, you know, I'm pretty, I'm not squeamish. But she brought me in and there were these I don't I don't know why I'm telling you this. That really wasn't the question. But there was these two people who had been found in an apartment after I don't know. They were very bloated. They were big people to begin with, and they were in that bloat stage and she cut them open, and the smell the world. Oh my god. I mean, I gaged. I've never gagged in my life. I think of myself as somebody pretty macho when it comes to things that are gross. I left the room and she was like, what's the big deal. It's just like changing a diaper.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, it's not diapers. Smell that smell. It's horrible.
Speaker 3: And in your book you describe what is it the root of that smell? I've never smelled anything beyond like a dead road kill. Yeah, but could you talk a little bit about that. What's what's going on there?
Speaker 4: Well, what's going on basically is that when you die, your cells have these enzymes and they you know, they need to break things down so they can use them. And when you die, they start these enzymes sort of break down the cells themselves, so all the liquid in all your cells kind of leaks out and you get sort of gushy and there's a lot of fluid going everywhere and bacteria love that. So the bacteria are going crazy and the fluids making its way to the parts of the where there's a lot of bacteria. The guts. You know, once the guts open up in the there's just this crazy bacterial feast. And bacteria when they're eating, uh, they're like you. They break things down and a fart. Basically, they they produce gas as you do when you eat and digest. So they're digesting and they're releasing tons of gas, which builds up and at some point your interior organs may burst and so there's just a lot of room for the gas to be going everywhere. So the things that tend to be bloating. Are places where there's a lot of bacteria, like the scrotum and the mouth and the guts, so there's you know, I haven't discussed this in a long time. I've like I just reread it. So yeah, yeah, anyway, that's what's going on, and putre faction is just more breaking down and liquefying. And at the body farm, you would see in the advanced ages of putre faction, it's kind of like a puddle all around you kind of compared it to like in the Wizard of Oz, the bad which is melting. You know, this is becoming this pool. Yeah, so you're just becoming liquid, except for of course you're depending on the how dry it is. You know, your skin and bones take longer. You're that's the last thing to go, you know. The wetter stuff is like the brain goes, the eyes go fat. The wet stuff goes first, and then the harder stuff takes longer time to break down. And there's bugs that help with that and sometimes rodents, so you know, the whole thing ends up getting broken down though, one way or another.
Speaker 3: Could you tell Jonathan about the body farm what the body farm was?
Speaker 4: Oh? Sure, sure. The body Farm. There's a place at University of Tennessee. Was the original That's where I went, and Stiff there's now there's like everywhere. They have them in different environments because it's a place to study the forensics of human decay, and that is something that is used to try to solve crimes, like say you have a body and you want to figure out how long has this person been dead? How long have they been lying there? In order to understand that, you've got to factor in the temperature. Was the body wet, is it dries? Is a very humid place or a very arid place. Was the body clothed? Was it naked? Was it in water? All of these things affect the timeline of decay. So they study that and that information informs the criminal forensics process, the process of figuring out how long this person has been dead. So the body farm is the place where they study that, and they've been doing that for years because it used to be, you know, sometimes they were way off and then they'd be a body would be discovered and they'd say, yeah, this looks like six weeks, and it would be like twenty five years, because it just depends on Sometimes bodies are naturally preserved by the environment. You know, if it's very air, they kind of mummify and they don't look soupy and they don't you know, break down completely. So anyway, that's the Body Farm. But what I loved about it is that it's this beautiful little patch of land, like off beyond beyond the medical center. It's got hickory trees and squirrels, and it's really like you walk in and you're like, Oh, this doesn't seem that bad, you know, and then then they're like, oh, there's a guy taking a nap over there under a tree, and they're just placed here and there kind of like it doesn't look like a scientific facility. Like there's a guy lying under a tree and they were studying the effect of clothing that day, so he's wearing like sweatpants and a sweatshirt and it really just sort of looked like a guy napping, except that weird stillness that dead people have.
Speaker 3: And so were they kind of grouped by where they're at in the process of decay? Was that right?
Speaker 4: Well, it depends on what they're studying. Like there's a section where they have domestic beetles. They clean bones, so there. I'm not sure if they were processing just clear cleaning skeletons for some reason. There's like the neighborhood of skeletons, and then the other ones they were you know, like the clothed guy was under a tree and then there was a woman that you would kind of walk through the They weren't arranged in any It was like, what what, what's your project? You know, kind of stake out your land. And some of them had a covering to keep scavengers out, but most of them were just kind of lie and they're dead. Jonathan, you would love it.
Speaker 1: I would actually, And there's one now.
Speaker 4: There's one in California. There's one in the Central Valley. Because they want them in different like they would want like a dry, arid place and then some a humid place, you know. So there's one in the Midwest. There's one in New England now, but the original was in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Earlier you mentioned that the brain and the eyes, that those go pretty fast because they're so liquidity, and so what happens the there's just a vacant spot where the eye once was. You describe them as X's in the book.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they the eye does have that kind of the pupil because it kind of collapses, so they don't have that dark black area. They kind of just look it's they're very it's very weird. I asked this guy at the mortuary college, I'm like, how did you decide to get into this? And he said, well, this is back before pagers and cell phones. He said, you know, you could have a free apartment upstairs from the mortuary because you had to be there on call when the body came in. It was like free room and board.
Speaker 1: When I went to college, is like, I got free room and board. Well I had I had to buy food, but I got a free room and woke up and went to school. Well, they came back and I just had to do removals at night. We were on call, so we stayed and lived in the mortuary.
Speaker 3: What was the process of removals?
Speaker 1: Like, well, you just you get a call, you'd get the address and you'd go pick someone up who passed away. It was it's tricky, especially in some of the places in San Francisco and the Mission and all that. I got a call and I went and this was a really big person too, through hundred pounds and I couldn't get them, and then we had to go down a spiral staircase because there was no way out because those old buildings away they were built, so we had to strap them on there and we had to get family members and other people in the building just to help. Well. I think one time we called the fire department just to help get them out and get them into the car, and then once I got them to the removal van, take them to the mortuary. How am I going to get this? There was always this how am I going to get this person out? But then there was other ones where it's really simple. You'd go and in it was just an easy removal and bring them in, to take them into the embombing room and leave them for the embalmer to come. Because I couldn't embomb then it was just an apprentice. I was just going to school. I wasn't even apprentice yet. But when I worked at the other mortuary, when I was an apprentice, I have to always when I was in bombing, I had to have the embommer there with me to watch me.
Speaker 3: Okay, I used to live by this park in Brooklyn and there were a lot of alcoholics who would expire in the park. It would happen from time to time. And one time I went out for a walk and there was a guy who was clearly late stages of alcoholism, and he was kind of looked like he was lying down across the street from my apartment. I went up to ask if he was okay, and he kind of grunted at me, and I went off to the park, and as I was walking away, I just like my mind was putting together what I just seen. I was just like, that did not make sense. So I went back and literally in three minutes he was dead right. But because it wasn't a crime, and because he had no family, it fell into this weird pocket in New York City where it was just only the coroner could remove the body, not an ambulance, not a cop, And so the corner in New York City, as you can imagine, was very backed up. So what they had to do was just have a cop sit in a car just next to the body until the coroner could come pick it up. And so it was just laying there all day long under a sheet.
Speaker 1: I believe it.
Speaker 3: So you started to talk about embalming, which is one of the other things that that I'd like to talk about here. So you what do you remember about that process.
Speaker 1: It's just like you're replacing the blood in the body with embombing fluid, which is from aldehyde and the chemical.
Speaker 4: They look so much better.
Speaker 1: They look way better.
Speaker 4: Once I want to be bombed.
Speaker 1: Once you plumps, once you put the fluid in, you just like yeah, and it makes it gives you color. Got color in it, right, Yeah, it's got coloring.
Speaker 4: It's like an amazing transformation.
Speaker 1: It makes everything, It freezes everything, so when you touch the skin, there's none of this. Right, it's just like hard as a rock if you do it right. And how it depends on the pressure, how much you're you're getting into the capillaries and the tissue, how much you massage. So basically real short, if it's normal, if it's not an autopsy, you make an decision right here on your on your the bone right here, and you dissect and you get the jugular and the carotid army, right, you'll inject into there using an em bombing machine which acts like a heart, and you're gonna pump that fluid into the body and use the jugular vein. You have a pair of foresteps and have a pair of amroun here somewhere, and you go down the jugular into the heart kind area and you're pulling the cloths out. You just sit there and leave that vein open and you let the embombing machine do its work. It's gonna pump the embombing fluid in and push the blood out, and while that's going on, you cover the body and soap and you start massaging. So if you're shooting down on the blue, you're gonna start massaging up from the hands because you want to get the blood out, So you're gonna massage the entire body. You're going to try and get the blood out of the body and get the fluid in so it gets into the capillaries and it totally gets in saturates the tissue with this from aldehyde, which then like it sanitizes the body and totally preserves it.
Speaker 4: Kind of an amazing idea to use the human circulatory system to get that fluid everywhere to all your cells. I mean, it's brilliant, you know, because I don't know the early the mummification is kind of like, you know, you pack the body in something and you maybe stuff so down the mouth. But this like this to have that idea to pump like a heart, Like Jonathan said, you're you know, replacing the blood with this preservative that kind of links the proteins together. It just basically keeps bacteria from being able to break the cells down the way they normally would. It also kills them. But that's a brilliant idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 3: The jugular is that the same thing as the a order.
Speaker 4: No, that's your heart, the big in your ches heart artery.
Speaker 1: It goes all the way down into your.
Speaker 3: What's the jugular? This is a vein that's.
Speaker 4: In your neck.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the jugglars are vein, so your arteries is oxygenated blood. And then the jugular is when the part's pumping the the carbon dioxide blood. I call it out. So you're going in do they crotted and out through the jugular?
Speaker 3: And Mary in your book you talk about it looked like the end of a whoopee cushion, Right, It was that wide.
Speaker 4: It did to me, like the guy THEO if you raise the artery, I think it was the artery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the crodit Yeah, they're connected together like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The end of it to me looked like what you blow on a whoopee cushion. I mean it's big. It's like a gronken big tube.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there two twos. It's hard. You gotta dissect them apart. But and that's if they haven't been autopsy. Now, if their autopsy is a total different thing, because the pathology has gone on there and just ripped everything out. So there's no surety exactly.
Speaker 4: It's a mess.
Speaker 1: So now you got to do. If you can find the karate, you'll shoot up just for this side of the head. You'll shoot down here and these arteries here just to do the arm, and you'll shoot down the arteries of the legs to get that. So you're doing one, two, three, four, six points of injectory.
Speaker 4: Because you don't have a closed system anymore.
Speaker 1: You don't have a closed system. Oh and also once you get done embalming, then you have to go in with this stuff called cavity fluid. Use this giant troll cards called the troll car. It's a giant spike and you have aspiration to so it's sucking. It's like a suction. And you go there and you just try to make mince meat of all the organs in there so they can't blow up, Like you said, when they start to come down, they'll start to fill up full of air. So you poke everything and you just make it all mince meat in there, and then you stick it in there, and you take the suction tube off and you put cavity fluid, which is like even more intense from aldehyde, and that preserves that in there. And then the autopsy, you just take cavity fluid and you open up the plastic bag and you just dump it in there.
Speaker 3: Well, So then do you ever like rupture a vein when it's being pumped in and end up just in the entire.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can do what happens if you're not paying attention. Sometimes there's clots that get in there or something. You got to watch the pressure. You can just stend. You can blow someone's face up really big, or they'll start to swell, and then what do you do. So you got to really watch that. You got to watch and you can see it start to happen, and then you stop, okay, and you try to get out there and pull the clot out, or you just stop there because you don't want to stand a person's face this big. Like if you do a cadaverter cadavers are like I don't know how many. I think it's like double the amount of fluid you would use or tripled the amount of fluid you would use on a normal embombing. But there's no drainage. You just blow them full up.
Speaker 3: Wait, what's the difference between a cadaver and I mean, what distinguishes a cadaver.
Speaker 4: From a research Like for anatomy lab, you're basically like mummifying those suckers to keep them for a lot longer, like normally, correct me if I'm wrong, Jonathan. Embombing is to keep the body looking decent for like an open casket, Like it doesn't have to look good for a very long a couple of days. But if you're gonna have an anatomy class, that's a whole semester that you just mummify that sucker a lot of formaldehyde.
Speaker 1: Really intense and formal the hide.
Speaker 4: You're changing the formula. I was at the anatomy lab at UCSF.
Speaker 3: And what was that experience, Like, what do you recall from that?
Speaker 4: The stench of formaldehyde, I mean really strong and it's pretty toxic stuff. So at a certain point in the semester they would cut the legs off because they were done partly but also to lower the amount of exposure from aldehyde, you know, because it's not a pleasant smell. But the other thing was what was I found kind of fascinating was not something in the lab, but the fact that, and this is much more common now than it was back then, they were just one of the earlier schools that actually did a memorial service for those cadavers. Like all the students they got together and the i think family members of the cadavers and the students read these tributes. And it was kind of moving, you know because initially I heard, oh, they're doing a memorial service for the cadavers, and I was picturing like what caskets with the bodies, and I was kind of like, I got to see this, But it was in fact just the students and they had They was very touching. They were very kind of grateful, and you know, the things that they wrote were pretty moving as opposed to back in the very early days of teaching anatomy, where you were encouraged to make jokes and to like pose the box with a cigarette and with your arm around him. You know, that was kind of like a way of coping back then. Yeah, I mean, humor is a way of coping, and that was kind of the standard practice. These days, it's there's a much more of an emphasis on respecting the gift of the donor, et cetera. And they did a good job of doing that. You know, the day I was there, people seem very respectful. Who knows, you know, when I'm I'm there with a notebook, so nobody's going to be, you know, jousting with legs or whatever.
Speaker 3: But you very effectively at the beginning of the book. I don't know if you're able to recall any of it right now, but you set a tone because you know, I realized that, like you, you fuse humor in popular science, and that's the tone you use. But I think you you really kind of you establish a tone of respect at the very beginning of the book.
Speaker 4: Oh that doesn't sound like me.
Speaker 3: Really, it doesn't ring any better. No, here it is. This book is not about death as in dying. Death as in dying is sad and profound. There's nothing funny about losing someone you love or about being the person about to be lost. This book is about the already dead, the anonymous behind the scenes dead. The cadavers I have seen were not depressing or heart wrenching or repulsive. They seemed sweet and well intentioned, sometimes sad, occasionally amusing. Some were beautiful, some monsters. Some were sweatpants and some were naked, some in pieces, others whole. I think that that was very artfully done, being able to tie all those things together.
Speaker 4: You know, people would say, oh, you write about death, you know, could Sometimes you want like, oh, we're doing We're doing some show about death. I'm like, I don't, and I don't know anything about death. I didn't write about death. That's totally different to me. The world of cadavers, that they look like people, but they're not. They're dead. They're equally interesting, but just a whole different thing. I couldn't really write it about death. Or maybe I could, but I don't really want to. But it's a very different thing. I mean, the dead and there is humor. I mean, I would spent time at the school where it's in Michigan, in Detroit. What's the name of the university anyway, they do a lot of automotive safety testing. They use cadavers to calibrate crash test dummies. They were coming up with a new like a side impact dummy, and I was there when they were they were doing one of the impact tests with the cadaver and they had to get this guy as dead guy who had a number um O six I think University of Michigan, this might have been. Anyway, they had to he had to sit in a in a car seat and then the impactor would hit him on the shoulder because it was you know, they were doing trying to calibrate a side impact dummy. So he's sitting and they had him you know, he's a dead guy, so he can't sit up, and they put him in the car seat and he kind of slump, you know, and then they'd like tape him up, and then they'd be all set and they'd have a lot of you know, the strain gauges were all set and they've got the camera set, the video that, you know, the to to get the slow motion footage and everything's ready to go, and then he'd slump again and it was hilarious. I mean it was late at night, you know, everybody'd been there a long time. He really had comic timing this dead guy, you know, and he's wearing like a leotard, which looks bizarre, and it was just it was funny, not at his expense. You know, it's lovely that he donated his body. It was kind of heroic of him. But there is humor in being dead. You're like, you're useless, you know, your limbs are flopping all over, your bubbles coming out of your ears. I don't know. Just why not laugh about it? That's all you can do.
Speaker 3: And Jonathan, do you make any in your attraction to darkness or the macabre? Do you make that distinction between like what we've been talking about with your interest in mortuary techniques and science and actual death and the loss of life and end of life things like this.
Speaker 1: I guess it's like two different things. It's an art to what we did with mortuary science basically artists. Yeah, but also if you're just an a bomber, which there are some just straight and bombers just all they do all day. But I worked at the funeral home where you were in a bomber and field direct, so you had to deal with the family and then you had to go and bomb them and then we'll do the funeral and everything and doing that all the time. Dealing with death is very depressing. It's not fun waking up every morning to family after family grieving over someone they lost. Because when you're in when you're in the when you're in the morgue embombing somebody, you totally respect a body. It with someone's mom or dad, but you don't know their story, you don't see their family, you don't see any of that stuff. So you're like, Okay, just look at this older person at a great life for it's a young kid. Oh, this is a this is horrible that this happened. And I go about my business and bomba do my job. But when I see the family, like, say the kid it's in there, I say, their parents distraught, crime, they just lost their son, their grandparents, all their friends just crying and grieving on this person. It wears on you. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's got to be the hardest part, for sure.
Speaker 1: That's a totally different thing. Yeah, But I mean I wanted to be an embomber, but the funeral home I worked at, I had to be everything. I was the apprentice. So I'm out there mowing the lawn, digging ditches for sprinklers. Oh go and bomb this person, go do this. I was doing everything, so I saw everything. What I really wanted to do is just be left alone and let me do my gig in the back of the Morgan. I didn't have to see no one or do anything. That would have been perfect.
Speaker 4: But did you have to deal with the families, like did you have to do the whole conversation about them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I would sit in they were teaching me that to be a funeral director, and how they you know, the whole thing is how their wishes, how which which cassket there they're going to pick, and how they wanted to do. What the religion was, either a priest or a pastor. I mean, there's so many different things.
Speaker 4: Did you do preparation? Did I do what you know, like preparation, like you know, sewing the mouth shut and putting the you know, eye things in the eye and all that to make them.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh everything I caps, Yeah, yeah, I caps the eye caps. And if you were you either use the staple gun where they wire the josh shut. I was an old school guy. I would just susure it and that's just going up through the lip.
Speaker 4: That's what I saw. The suturing.
Speaker 1: Yet you're just suturing. You tie it up like that and then you just use icaps.
Speaker 4: I have an eye cap.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I got a couple of those. I even actually have some screwing, like for troke cars, right, you get a Troe car button, that's where they would steal that. But I have a rectl one. Oh my god that I wish they had those because I had to manually sew up a couple buttles in my day.
Speaker 3: Well you talk about that in your book, Mary, because there's leakage.
Speaker 1: That's right, because there's leakage today.
Speaker 4: I was there, they were doing the demonstration and they're like, well, for this guy, we probably don't need to suture the anus, and they go they look at me like unless the visitor, the visitor would like to see it. I'm like, I'm good. No, you don't want a leacoln in the casket.
Speaker 1: No you don't. But I used to use this restorative clay or they call it tamponing, and you use four steps and cotton and then you seal it up with this club. But yeah, it was kind of like an old school. Now it's this plastic troke card.
Speaker 3: Plastic we what's it called? Plastic wet.
Speaker 1: These are little trill card was worth, these little buttons, and that you'd screw them into where the hole was where you stuck the troke car in and it would seal it up so nothing would leaked.
Speaker 3: But they made them for anuses in what nineteenth century?
Speaker 1: No, I mean it's now they're new work and they didn't have them. Yeah, they didn't have them at all. Now you just screw that thing in and it's like Scott, it's threaded and it just threads like a screw and it's totally sealed. I wish I had that back then.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And if we use vaginally anal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they didn't have that. The day I was there, they were talking about just needle and thread like they did with the mouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd sew the things up. But things I wish I had back then. But things worked out different. Glady a rockstar. I didn't have to do that, did they.
Speaker 3: Did they have a crematorium at the funeral home you worked at, Jonathan.
Speaker 1: No, but I'd have to take bodies all the time to the crematorium. It was another mortuary, okay who had a crematorium. So they'd be put in a plastic we'd make these plastic like coffins, not plastic, I'm sorry, cardboard, yep. And place them there and then put them in the hearts and take them to the crematory and we pay them for their service. And then I'd pick them up in a plastic box, take them back to the mortuary and then they'd be transferred into their urn that they bought.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that also Mary goes into the process in the book about cremation, which was pretty wild, and it includes that bodies sometimes sit up. Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: Oh, they sit up. It's like a straw. If you put a flame to a straw, you're gonna see it do all this weird creakily the it's the heat. They'll pop right out of the box, sit up, and used to see them start breaking off.
Speaker 3: It's weird because you could look into the oven while it was happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can see there's a little hole. If you open it up, you can see it.
Speaker 4: They have to have the viewing window for is it Hindu fan or there's some religion where you have to observe the body as it's being cremated.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, I know that.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I forget which speaking of Eastern religions. Mary, you bring up something in the decomposition. It was the Nine Cemetery contemplations, the Buddhist cutra on mindfulness.
Speaker 4: Do you recall, Well, I do remember bringing that up, and I don't remember the words to it, but it was a it's a meditation. You're supposed to meditate on the Charnel house or something. We're supposed to go to it. I forget where you're supposed to go. But you're supposed to meditate on the decomposing body, the process of death.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's a Buddhist kind of way of teaching oneself that the body is not what matters, and you know the impermanence of the body, and anyway, I don't know, I don't have.
Speaker 3: I do you say? Apprentice monks are instructed to meditate on a series of decomposing bodies in the Charnel ground, starting with a body quote swollen and blue and festering, progressing to one quote being eaten by different kinds of worms, then moving on to a skeleton without flesh and blood, held together by tendons. The monks were told to keep meditating until they were calm and a smile appeared on their faces.
Speaker 4: Oh it sounds like the body Farm.
Speaker 1: Body Farm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. So we've just got a few more minutes here. Is there anything else that we should cover? I mean, this has been the most unique recording that I've ever done in the dozens that I've done on the shore.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it's almost over.
Speaker 3: The one thing that when I mentioned at the very beginning, the thing that always sticks with me that I remembered from when I first opened this book on Christmas morning, was you talk about some of the earlier recorded research on dead bodies, and it was in the French Revolution, those that were beheaded in the gilt latine, and that there's some guy that was like running the heads down to his lab to see if he could Frankenstein.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was no one's just guy there, Paris. His name is because the guy.
Speaker 4: So the there's also Jean Baptiste Vincent Labon.
Speaker 1: And so I've held one. There's a whole museum in France, and nobody knows how he preserved them, but he would diicycle right down the middle and they're perfectly preserved. They're like mummified and you can just see and hold one and see just a perfect, you know, side of view of the.
Speaker 3: Heads, like the bodies exhibit.
Speaker 1: Like the body exhibited by gun thro von Hagen, I think his name. I think Fred was doing this fascination, that's what it's called. Wow, he was doing this way back before all that, during the Guilletine time. So, like I said, I love medical preparations. I collect him. I love just like the the Uh. There's a place in Philly.
Speaker 4: Oh, my Lutar Museum.
Speaker 1: Ammut Museum is one of my favorite places.
Speaker 4: I know the curator and the director, so anytime you want to behind the city, they got some good stuff behind the scenes. I knew that lady Gretchen Warden. Yeah, Gretchen worms she died around two thousand and four. Yeah, she would bring preparations on the Johnny Carson Show.
Speaker 1: Would let me go in there. I don't know the new people yet, so I got to meet the new people because I love that place.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well we should go together sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be amazing.
Speaker 4: Anna Dotie is the woman who's running it now, who's got a real taste for the macrob.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's the thing that's got like the distended colon wrapping around several mega.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's in this beautiful case, you know, and it's very quiet and there because if you go on a weekday, there's nobody in there and you just sort of it's kind of meditative. There's the colon and it's as big around as I am. That is a big ass colon.
Speaker 1: It's huge. And they got twins. Yeah, yeah, Chang and Eng changing their bodies and then they'll be.
Speaker 4: Like just the weirdest, Like this is a jar of skin that this woman would pick off her body and she sent it to them. I thought you might want this, that would people like send them. There's a necklace made of hemorrhoids that might be not on display, that might be in the back, but I mean it's just you gotta.
Speaker 1: Go on the back. There's some crazy you.
Speaker 3: Gotta go on the back. You know. This makes me think of an out of print book about the investigation into Elvis's death, and there's seriously detailed descriptions about the autopsy and specifically is Colin and which you know had a lot of pharmaceutic you know.
Speaker 4: I had a chapter on that.
Speaker 3: On Elvis's body, I interviewed his doctor.
Speaker 4: I have a chapter on mega cool and an extreme constipation, and I went to see Needles Nick before he.
Speaker 3: Died Doctor Nicopolis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I hung out with doctor Nick. I tried on the Hamburger ring that Elvis had made for Missus Nicopolis, which has diamonds in all the colors of like a hamber her and the bond and the pickles. Anyway, Yeah, I know, I had chapter on the megical Elvis had mega hirschsprungs. He had hirsprungs.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was like something like six feet of undigested pills or something like that.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was rock hard. And when Nick told me this, he like knocked on the stone of the fireplace, goes it was rock hard like this.
Speaker 3: Nick was allowed at the autopsy.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if Nick was at the autopsy or he heard about it. I don't he probably, I don't know, but probably he was his doctors his personal doctor, so probably he was there. Well, that's crazy, Sorry I was I interrupted you.
Speaker 1: No, that's cool.
Speaker 3: I talked talk about doctor Nick all day. Well that that was an interesting book and it goes all into the investigation in the autopsy.
Speaker 4: I've read that. I've read that book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think Heraldo Rivera is involved for some reason. Anyway, this has been so incredible. I really appreciate this.
Speaker 1: This is awesome. I love you know what I have to go through. This was really cool.
Speaker 4: This was a bit. It was great to meet you, John, very.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you. Mary hopefully would crosspaths sometime.
Speaker 3: Check out Korn's line of freakon Aleish pet accessories at freakondleish dot com and they're here to slay hot sauce at Heatoness dot com. A new edition of Mary's book Stiff was just released, as was the paperback version of her book Fuzz. For excerpts and more information, please visit Maryroach dot net. Sing for Science is co produced by Talkhouse and made possible in part by a grant from Science Sandbox, an initiative of the Simons Foundation. Our music is by Panoram. Social media manager is Bailey Constance and digital producer is Keenan Cush. If you liked today's episode, please tell a friend about the show and give us a review in some Stars. For more information, go to Sing for Science dot org and follow us on social media at sing for Science. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: I f