Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming. Then I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of June ninth, we're continuing with Duster. Episode three, You're No Good or You're No Good? You're no good? Yes, in which what's his name? Jim? I can't it's hard for me to remember, you know.
Speaker 1: Brian Grubb wrote about this and mentioned that while Duster refers to his car, it's really hard not to think it's the nickname for him, and I do think him is Duster yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, so in this one, he's his feelings about his employer are swinging wildly from the from a point A to point B, you know, from good guy to bad guy to I don't know to I hope not, but now I kind of have to believe this.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it makes me wonder whether Sex was doing that on purpose, like he knows that there's something going on and so he's just messing with him. Yeah, probably not, but if he was, that would be a real clever way to twist my knife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, being all sweet about his brother and.
Speaker 1: Him and yeah, yeah, just conveniently dropping the name of the C four person out of the blue for no real reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And you know, there's this whole thing where they pull up to this you know, divy bar, and I feel like it was Saxon's idea, like, oh, let's stop here, and he was very much not welcome there, and they have to like basically beat up everyone in the entire place.
Speaker 1: The two of them, which of course they do it efficiently.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you know, was that like a test of let me see if Jim's gonna, yeah, take care of me in this situation? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's It's hard to tell at this point to what degree he is an omniscient bad guy, yeah, or if he's just a guy who's bad and you know, it would be sort of satisfying if he really didn't know and he was just just messing with him. But probably not.
Speaker 2: I mean, he didn't he didn't know that Jim tampered with his usual car so that he would be forced to get a ride from Jim.
Speaker 1: Right, he didn't know it. Although didn't Jim just do it out in plain daylight on the street? Yes? So are we sure he didn't know? I'm like a lot of people do things in this show that I feel should be done in dark corners and you know, out of the way places, and they're just walking down the street saying, so what about this guy? Do we think he killed somebody? Look at this evidence I found. Let me spread it out here on the middle of the table. This is true. I just come on, you guys, sneak around a little bit so well, I mean, I think it would be plausible if we're supposed to think that this Sas is just a super brilliant villain, that he would be able to pick up on the stupid way Ye if it's going going about this but possibly not, well, it seems like a stretch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then when you had Nina and Awan basically you know, breaking into the institution where the former agent was being held, and yeah, she puts on a nurse's uniform, but she still got her like black knee high boots on. And also like they ran out of there because they basically got busted, like well all their clothes, yes, are still back in that dressing room. Did are they going to go back to the janitor guy and be like, hey, can you just please go in there and get her stuff?
Speaker 1: Also, did they like does she have a purse? I know, do they have like personal effects? And what happened to the Superman wallet?
Speaker 2: I was worried about the Superman wallet?
Speaker 1: Really they were. I don't know what the deal is about. Why that guy only had three mentions in IMDb three episodes? Yeah, because it sure seemed all through this episode that they were gonna kill him off. They were just I was just rod cat, I mean, flashing lights all over the place. Every time they separated. I thought, no, no, stay with her, she's the lead. She's gonna be safe. And you know, his whole Superman speech and all this stuff. He's gonna be just and then nothing happened. It was fine. So he gets hit by a car in between episodes or what.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they write him off in some nice way. I don't know. Yes, he's getting a big promotion to some other office.
Speaker 1: Or or being on that little caper with her and made him realize he didn't want to do this for a living. The stuff is stupid, right, So yeah, I don't know if it's just I know, I've noticed sometimes with these streaming shows that drop episodes on a schedule, sometimes IMDb doesn't care catch up with who ye, So it may just be that, although I noticed there's a lot of people that have more than three episodes listed, so they just wanted to play with us. Do you think you can learn things from Miamdb? Do you? Hah? I enjoy this. You're gonna be worried about him every minute, right, but because he's so sweet, he really is, he's too he's too sweet too?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Really should uh you know, find something safer? Yes, but yeah, the whole hospital thing was annoying in so many ways and unlikely, but uh, okay, get your little plot in there, and what did we learn in that really nothing? He is super super nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we're to assume that not even usefully nuts. Yeah, and we're supposed to think that it was Sacks who caused this, right.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: But why is his wife seemingly kind of cool, like she's just like she's already in someone's pocket. Right, but she's like, yes, oh you don't, you don't need to ask that question or whatever. I mean, she's not just like, oh my husband, he's very silly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, she was all but twisting her mustache and she had on. Yes, yes, this had had more suspense than I enjoy in a TV show. I don't want to think characters I like Arian Now, I know lost there's danger all over the place, but it's it's weird danger.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's somewhat it's absurd.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is just if you go into this place and you get caught, you're gonna be in big trouble and possibly since there's I don't know, Yeah, I guess bad guys stuff I don't like. But anyway, it was fine. It all turned out okay, everybody was fine and they got you're no good and there at the end.
Speaker 2: Right, we got another little scene of Jim's father and horrible stepmother.
Speaker 1: Speaking of scenes I didn't need to see. Yeah, children, this is why you call before you visit your parents, Okay, which nobody wants to see that. Nobody wants to even think about it.
Speaker 2: They have established this on a previous episode. Jim, you need to call before you stop over. Get your father's burglary tools or whatever, maybe something else.
Speaker 1: After he cleans his eyes off with bleach, he'll know not to do that anymore. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, he wasn't looking for burglary tools. He was looking for the name of the Sea Fours this time.
Speaker 1: Yes, apparently only one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well has a corner on the market. Apparently, I guess. And remember remembers the name of the person that her explosives were used to kill.
Speaker 1: That was so bogus, I mean that that worked. It was so stupid. Yes, how many years ago was this supposed to have been?
Speaker 2: Maybe it's not that many, I guess.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I guess, but she didn't need to have to like look it up on the database or anything, so I guess. Not a lot of C four moving in the area, so she remembers all the hits it's just stupid. It just unless it's all a setup, right and Sax is pulling all the strings of this as well, right and possible. Yeah, I don't know, we'll find out. They just better not. They better not kill that kid, that little cute little left the eye agent. They just better not kill him. Yeah, he needs to, he needs to survive this. I don't care. He can leave the bureau. Maybe he and uh Greg Grunberg's wife can run away someplace.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that was pretty silly. Like my wife says, I have to keep you around, is his reasoning for allowing Nina to keep doing what she's doing. Well, my wife's loud about you. Now I'm stuck with you really well.
Speaker 1: You know parenting tips, Sometimes your kid asks you to do something and you do it for them. You know, sometimes you just have to listen to what they're saying and do it out of respect and out of love. And I just hope that things were out for the best. Yes, we also learn for a parenting tip is to befriend people like cleaning people and others who can sneak you in and out of places. Yes, you know, be nice to the waitress so that when your kids starts crying. They will help you. They will get you the bill super fast and get you out of there. You know, be nice to the pair of professionals at your school if your child has a pair professional, because they will tell you things. You know. The people, the people deeply in rooted in the system will not. But the people who are just there, you know, yeah, and will.
Speaker 2: It's about, you know, seeing the people who are otherwise invisible.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yes, bus driver of your kid's special ed bus chatter up. Yes, that was good, you know, the sort of insight that an outsider. Yes, the little thing with a wan and his wallet made me think. Respect your kids' obsessions. Yes, you know you may think, well this is silly, but if it means something to them, it's going to motivate them. Right. And also, everybody's got something they dig. You don't want people laughing at yours, so don't laugh at theirs. Yeah, you know, let them unless it's something like you know, dangerous or toxic, right, who cares? I remember, you know, teacher telling me that keys were poisoned to my son and I had to take them away. And it's like no, no, no, that's ridiculous. He talked because of them. He didn't he can be bribed because of them. It's like stop. So Also the freebie car magazines. I keep trying to tell the teachers at school, pick up a bunch of them when you go to the supermarket, and then anytime you need to bribe them, give them one. They would not do it. But this is the kind of thing that we do if you're smart. So the Superman wallet makes him feel strong, go with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: Also a parenting tip learned through the way that various authorities were trying to talk Nina out of pursuing the cases. She's pursuing it, and it just made her want to do it more. Same thing with kids, you know, and you tell them you certainly you must not do that, it's just going to make them want to do it more. So. Yeah, maybe some reverse psychology. Oh yeah, that that case is really pretty much nothing. But sweetie, if you want to go for it, you just go for it. We'll uh, you know, we'll just be waiting.
Speaker 2: We'll find something.
Speaker 1: Had her on the head, you know, sure, that'll be a good little thing to occupy you. It wouldn't matter because she's you know, yeah, she has she has you know, you have to be careful because sometimes the more vehemently you forbid something, the more interesting you make it. Oh absolutely yeah, that's that is absolutely the case here. Every time somebody tells her she better not, she realizes that the schedule one's deeper than I need.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, absolutely bad.
Speaker 1: Bad strategy, you guys, the old white man strategy.
Speaker 2: And also I can't remember if it was in this episode. I think so that she was talking to her mom again, like, is her mom just gonna be a voice on the phone.
Speaker 1: Are we ever gonna do we even hear the voice or what? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we do.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you would think she would say, what you're doing sounds really dangerous. Why don't you just come home. We'll find you a nice job here.
Speaker 2: No, I think she's mom wants her Yeah, that she was.
Speaker 1: She was saying, yeah, everybody was shutting me down to when I was trying to look into it. So, so mom is all for it. You go get yourself killed, honey, just to find out who did this to your daddy. Yeah, as long as you prove that, it'll be fine. So yeah, yikes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So next Wednesday, we'll continue with Duster's episode four to consult the show notes for the title of this episode, because for some reason, h Max is very stingy with this information. Yeah, it's only going to be discovered if you break into a mental institution.
Speaker 1: I has asked them to conceal us. Yes, you're on a need to know basis exactly.
Speaker 2: So Yeah, that'll be next Wednesday, and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.