Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Karen MARCIONI your host for the Hope Show, inspired by my book Hope How Other People Endure, which is about everyday people overcoming life's challenges. These are moments in life. There are moments in life that split time in two moments after which nothing will ever be the same. For my guest today, that moment came on a December morning in twenty twelve, when a gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School. That day, Scarlet Lewis's precious son, Jesse, was taken from her in an act of unimaginable violence. But Scarlet's story is not defined by that tragedy. It is defined by what came after, by the choice she made when faced with the unimaginable and instead of anger, she chose compassion. Instead of fear, she chose courage, and instead of hatred, she chose love. Out of her deepest heartbreak, Scarlet created the Choose Love Movement, a mission that has touched me millions of lives and brought healing to hearts around the world. It reminds us that we cannot always control what happens to us, but we can choose how we respond. Today on the Hope Show, we'll talk about what it truly means to forgive, how love can emerge even from the ashes of loss, and how hope can survive when everything else seems gone. Because here on the Hope Show, we believe that every story of endurance, faith and courage lights the path for someone else still searching for hope in the dark. Welcome to the show, Scarlet.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Karen. It's wonderful to be here.
Speaker 1: We're honored to have you so Scarlet. If you can take us back to that morning in December twenty twelve, before everything changed. What do you remember vividly about Jesse, His smile, his spirit, the little things that made him so special to you?
Speaker 2: Gosh, I have a wonderful story from that morning, a morning just like every other, and everybody who's listening has these mornings every morning waking up as a single mom with two boys, and my older son went off to school. Jesse's dad was picking him up at the end of the driveway. I walked him out, holding his hand. I'm talking to his dad because we were going to be making gingerbread houses later that afternoon, and I had taken the afternoon off, which was something that I almost never did, so we were kind of coordinating efforts there. And I turned around to give Jesse a hug goodbye, and I noticed that he had written on the frost on the side of my car, I love you, and he had drawn hearts in all of my windows with his little feet nail. And you know, I really tried to be present with my kids. I enjoyed every moment, you know, that was humanly possible. And I realized in the moment that you know, this was, this was an amazing thing. So I said, Jesse, don't go anywhere. I ran inside, got my phone, came back out. Or remember taking him by the shoulders, putting him in front of this message, snapping a picture, and then doing a picture close up of the actual car with the message, gave him a big hug, loaded him into the car. That was the last picture ever taken of him and the last time that I saw him. Oh my gosh, wow. And what a message.
Speaker 1: You know, it's always it's so important to always let our children or our parents know we love them.
Speaker 2: Attention is the purest form of love. And what I say is that the best way to live your life with the fewest regrets is to be present with the ones that you love. And I mean lucky for me, this is sort of pre cell phones. I know, I ran in to get it in the house to take a picture, but this is before it was attached to us in our pocket, constantly calling for our attention, as are our children.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's so true. So when the world was watching Sandy hook in grief, your message of compassion stood out. How did you find the courage to speak publicly about love when you were still deep in your own pain.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. That's the number one question that I get. How did you go from grieving mom to starting an organization that focuses on love? And I'll tell you it was many things. Number one, my faith. I have a very strong faith that has just gotten stronger through this chapter of my life. Secondly, it was Jesse's example of courage. I found out very shortly after the tragedy that Jesse had stood up to the shooter who had just murdered his principal and guidance counselor right outside his door in the hallway, and then turned into his room, shooting, most likely killing his teacher who was standing behind him and his gun ran out of bullets and during the short delay, Jesse called for his friends to run. He literally sacrificed his life to save nine of his classmates. So nine classmates are alive today because of Jesse's brave actions. In fact, those nine graduated last June and gave Jesse a shout out in the medium. It's just absolutely amazing. And as a mom, when you hear that your six year old son is a hero, when he is honored. His funeral was literally a commander in chief funeral that is reserved for heads of state and returning war heroes because his first grade classroom was a literal war zone. When your six year old has this much courage, it definitely gives you the impetus to stand up in your own right. And the other thing is I knew that what happened at Sandy Hook was one hundred percent preventable. Yes, I'm still not sure why other people aren't just just yelling that from the rooftops. It's preventable. So I wanted to be part of the solution. I thought, you know, I quit my job with no experience in nonprofits. I started this nonprofit. I actually I actually was watching the reactions of the other of other people, Karen and I and I noticed, you know, after after the tragedy. For me, it's when the nation really polarized on the gun issue. You were either anti gun or pro gun and nothing was in between. And I thought, Okay, that's not going to solve the problem. Fighting against each other, you know, condemning, judging, blaming, finger pointing, fault finding like that is not solution oriented. So I'm not going to join that battle. I'm actually going to create something where both sides could potentially come together in something that we all have in common, and that's love. But every time I say that, I have this little like nudge from the back, I think it's it's Jesse going, mom, it wasn't your idea, And it absolutely wasn't my idea. I mean, I did feel compassion for Adam. I knew that anybody that could do something so heinous must have been in a tremendous amount of pain. I didn't know the pain, but that was obvious. And all of the blame was going towards towards either guns or Adam or Adam's mom Nancy. And I say their names because I want everybody to remember their human beings. Actually, you know, I say, there are two kinds of humans, good humans and good humans and pain. And so the blame was going all on Adam and Nancy, and I thought, in my mind, no, wait a minute, if it was all their fault, not, definitely their responsible and they should be held accountable. And Nancy was. She was murdered before Adam left that morning. Adam killed himself at the scene. But if it was all their fault, would it would never have happened before, and it had many many times, and it would never happen agains continued to happen. In fact, socials are escalating, and that can't be all Adam Lanza and his mom's fault. So immediately I went from you know, blaming, to realizing that, you know what, I have some responsibility in what happens in my son's school, which I hadn't previously contemplated. I was responsible really for his safety, health and well being wherever he was. And so, you know, and my thoughts and feelings and actions ripple out beyond me and they it makes a difference. And so I took my part of the responsibility for what happened that day as well as my part of the responsibility to be part of the solution. It was the best decision I've ever made, and looking at like now, I study the neuroscience behind choices and and you know, when we take responsibility for where we are and moving forward, it gives us our personal power and also hope right for better future. Right.
Speaker 1: I don't know of many people that would take responsibility for that. The action that happened that day, that was that is truly amazing.
Speaker 2: My part, my part of the responsibility. And I know this is the only thing that my mom and dad agreed on in the last thirty five years. They're divorced, but they said, you should never say that, and I said, you know what when you know, I don't want to be another victim of this tragedy. And I had a twelve year old son at the time, and I realized I was modeling as his only parent how to move through right difficulty, roadblocks all the way up to tragedy. He's watching me. So I had to be the highest and best version of myself. And what does that look like? Does that look like reacting in a situation with anger and hatred and revenge and blame and judgment, or does it look like choosing law of as a thoughtful response and right, amazing.
Speaker 1: And my next question was, you've said that this isn't a story about tragedy, it's a story about love. Yes, so can you share what choosing love truly means in the deepest sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, choose choosing. The superpower that we have as human beings is our ability to choose, from moment to moment, how we thoughtfully respond. You know, it doesn't really matter. Of course it matters, but I'm saying it's not so much what happens to us, because really bad things happen to good people every single day. Right, Yes, it's so true. Yet choose what happens to us. But we can take our personal power back and how we choose to thoughtfully respond. And so, you know, if you look at the neuroscience of the brain, it's fascinating. We're wired to defend ourselves something happens, and literally, you know, our brain can put up its dukes. It's metaphorical dukes. We can react in anger, and anger is fine, by the way, but it's prolonged anger and revenge that are the issue. And you know, we can we can circumvent that. We can choose love as a thoughtful response. That's when we take our personal power back. That's our highest and best version of ourselves. And you know, it goes all the way back to you know, those inmates that that didn't know they had a choice. What we're doing is teaching kids, Hey, life has pain in it. You know, the two things that you and I have in common. I don't know much about you, but I know that you have a want and need to love and be loved. And you also know that you felt pain in your life, physical, mental and emotional. I know that every child's going to feel that. So it's our duty to fortify our responsibility talking about responsibility, to fortify them with the essential life skills necessary that they can learn, grow and be strengthened by that pain instead of being taken down by it and others with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh so true. Those are powerful words, powerful words, and it's so true. And you don't know me, but yes, I've been through several different traumas in my life.
Speaker 2: But as has everyone listening. Absolutely, And you know, there's this concept we know, we all know PTSD post traumatic stress disorder, but when we look at the actual percentages of people that suffer from this, it's around seven percent that will experience PTSD at one point in their life. Seven percent, But over half of us experience something called post traumatic growth. That's when we learn and grow from our pain and the difficulties in our life. And so, rather than focusing on PTSD, which is what our brains would have us do with our negative bias exactly, we are teaching kids, Hey, there's this thing called post traumatic growth. This. You know, pain has a purpose in your life. It's there to help you grow. It does not take away the pain maybe the natural teacher, but it takes away some of the fear of the pain when we understand this, and fear is what inhibits healing and can even make pain worse.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, I can see that it can exacerbate that state. So forgiveness is almost something people struggle with, even in far lesser circumstances. We too, So how did you begin to move toward forgiveness and what helped you release the anger and fear that could have consumed you.
Speaker 2: You know what's so interesting. When I started, I used to say, oh, it's a formula, and it's so simple and easy. Right, So I've modified that a bit. It is a formula, but it's simple but definitely not easy, right, And there are a few steps before courage, I mean before forgiveness, and that is courage, having the courage to to even empathize with somebody that's hurt you, to to pause. We call this the choice moment, pausing in between what's happening and your response and getting curious about their point of pain. Because somebody who is mean or exhibits bullying behavior, they they have either experienced it themselves or they're in some amount of pain. You don't necessarily have to know what that pain is. But even that process of curiosity and wonder help you empathize to some degree, and it helps you move towards forgiveness. Forgiveness is not easy. If it was easy, everybody would do it, and the war and we'd have no wars. We'd have total peace, you know, we'd have we'd have complete safety. There was, you know, ubiquitous forgiveness and it was simple and easy. It's not, but it is available for everyone in every situation. I got a lot of flak, I'm sure or forgiving, you know, I had fingers. There are things that you forgive and things that you don't, and this is something that you don't. But what they didn't realize was the peace that I felt after forgiving. You know, it allowed me to be to take my power back, to be in control rather than being controlled by the incident that had passed and that was no longer happening. Obviously, it doesn't mean that I don't still feel pain or that I don't breathe for my son. I miss him every day. There's some point of every day that I shed tears for Jesse. I mean Halloween, I'm looking at the little kids that are trigger treating and you know that that just happened yesterday, and and you know I am. I am feeling nostalgic, and I'm feeling longing. But forgiveness allows me my power and enables me to move forward and be in control of what happens in my life and not a victim. And this was so important for me personally. It's what's enabled me to be a leader of a worldwide movement that talks about courage and gratitude and forgiveness and compassion. But I'll tell you it's not easy, and it's not that I don't struggle. It's interesting because you know, I forgave Adam immediately. I knew that he was in pain. I did not want him to have negative, continuing, negative influence on my life or my twelve year olds life. I knew that forgiveness cuts that cord that attaches us to anger and pain. But you know, there are situations that arise. Life throws you curveballs and it doesn't stop. Life is a playground for learning, and these just different situations. You know, even with my family, that's your family, are people that aren't supposed to hurt you. And so it's been a real challenge for me in certain situations to have forgiveness. So that's something that I've struggled with. But you know, it's doing the hard things and it's being the best version of yourself. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for your kids because they're watching learning, growing. And we know that trauma passes down seven generations. So be the one that chooses love and breaks that cycle of trauma. That is what I'm attempting to do. Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, So some people might think that forgiveness means excusing what happened, but you've shown it's something much more powerful. And how would you explain forgiveness to someone who says they can't forgive, or or you know, the reaction from family when they say, how can you forgive? Yea, And when I've I've kind of told your story to people and they say I could never do that. You know, however you did and you got some flat for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. It's so interesting. Forgiveness is maybe one of the most misunderstood character values out there, abilities superpowers to get rid of pain. It's amazing. Even even the curriculum writers that I had in the second iteration of our program, we've had like four I remember reading one of the earlier editions of the Choose Love for school It was actually, yeah, choose Love for Schools, and the curriculum writers had said, forgiveness is saying it's okay when someone has hurt you. And we had an immediate call because I'm like, absolutely, you no know. I tried to be diplomatic. No, it's never okay when someone hurts you. You never say it's okay. And that is absolutely not what forgiveness means. And this is some of the resistance to teach forgiveness in schools because people just don't understand it. It doesn't mean saying it's okay. It doesn't mean condoning the action. It doesn't even mean reconciliation. You know the fact that you have to reconcile with someone that hurts you. It simply it simply means that you take your personal power back, that you cut the cord that attaches you to pain. One of the first talks that I gave before I was really speaking publicly, was to a group of at risk kids and they wanted me to talk about forgiveness. So I was and one of the kids raised their hand and they said, could you show us what that means? And I said okay. So I felt like I was attached to the person who murdered Jesse by an umbilical chord. But it wasn't a chord that came out of my belly button. It came out of my side and into his side, and all of my personal power was draining out of me in the form of anger. Threw this chord and into Adam, and I was dragging him around with me. I was attached to him everywhere that I went because he was in control of my thoughts. I was thinking about him with anger, hatred, and revenge that directly impacted how I felt, and it also impacted my relationships, how I showed up with my son, and friendships and other people and my behaviors. And I said, the only way that I could disconnect, and really literally this is the only way, is through choosing forgiveness. And for me, it was like a set of scissors. I took those scissors and I cut that cord that attached me to my pain, to my source of pain, and it brought me back into the present moment where I was safe and where I had control of my thoughts, feelings, and actions that cognitive triangle. And it doesn't mean that I don't fall back into anger and resentment, because I do right and we will. However, it doesn't mean that you've failed, because once you start the forgiveness cycle, you cannot fail, which is the beautiful thing about forgiveness. You simply take a breath and forgive again. So you forgive, you do the initial forgiveness, you're already on the pathway. You're considering forgiveness. You're already on the pathway. You can't fail from there going forward. It is just a process, and it's a process depending on you know, what the herd is, what the event is, how it impacted you, your level of trauma. It's a process that you might have to do for the rest of your life. I will have to work on it for the rest of my life. But I tell you what that effort is worth, me having control of myself and becoming the highest and best version of myself. If I hadn't forgiven, if I had stayed stuck in anger, hatred and revenge, it would have impacted almost everything that I did going forward. I would have given my future of my best self away to this young man who was so disturbed that he created, he committed one of the worst mass murders in US history. Why would I do that? Well, I wouldn't do that if I knew what I was doing, and I had some skills and tools and awarenesses that could help me move beyond that. Right.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, truly truly amazing. Jesse's words nurturing, healing love have become a global message, and I find them amazing that they came out of a six year old. These words became the foundation of your mission.
Speaker 2: Choose Love.
Speaker 1: What did you research and develop to create this Choose Love program?
Speaker 2: I don't think I finished my thought previously when I said this, no, this whole choose love. You just finished it for me. But you brought me back. Okay, I said, this wasn't my idea, and it wasn't, because it was Jesse's chalkboard message that started all of this nurturing, healing love. Coming home a few days after the tragedy and seeing those three words written on my kitchen chalkboard, it was like a lightning bolt went through me. It was you know. First of all, I realized there was a spiritual awareness within Jesse that he wasn't going to be around for very much longer. That he meant that as a message of comfort for his friends, and it was, But I also knew that it was something more. I knew that it was where we needed to turn in order not just to survive, but to thrive. So I took that message and I spoke with doctoral professors and researchers and neuroscienists and all this and came up with a formula that helps return our personal power to us where we can have hope for a better future rather than becoming victimized, than helpless and possibly hopeless. And that formula is simple but as I said, simple isn't always easy and it's interesting. So for kids and adults, are what's literally called the locus of control, the location of our personal power. It vacillates throughout the day. When it's outside of us, we find us blaming other people for where we are. You know, we feel like, you know, we have no agency or little control over what happens in our lives. Things are happening to us. When it's inside of us, it's such an important concept. We feel like we have the power to make things happen for a better future. And this is you know, coming from two different is one's love and one's fear. And this formula helps us return that locus of control. So it starts with courage. It's the courage to be present, the courage to be aware of our thoughts that directly impact our feelings and behavior, and to understand that we have control over our thoughts. And to start with that, it is gratitude. It is a regular practice of gratitude that fortifies us from the inside out to better be able to handle difficulty with more strength and grace. It's forgiveness. It's the ability to be hurt but learn grow be strengthened by it, find meaning in the pain in some way, perhaps even a purpose. But the most important part is to harvest the gifts from that experience and let the pain go. And then its compassion and action is to take what we've learned and you use it to help other people. I believe that's why we're here. That is the definition of Choosing love, right right? Wow, So.
Speaker 1: Your movement is international and all over the world. And what have you learned from the children in practicing Choose Love philosophy in schools throughout the world.
Speaker 2: Oh well, and I have been throughout the world, and I just got back from visiting so many classrooms, and it's my favorite thing to do just to have student ambassadors lead me around to school asking them questions about how they use the Choose Love formula and what's their favorite character value, by the way, which forgiveness is most kids of all ages favorite character value, which blows me away to this day. It's not what I would have thought. But you know, you can teach forgiveness and kids understand it. It's us big kids that don't understand forgiveness. It's really powerful. They call it a superpower, you know. They have healthier friendships, they can resolve conflict using forgiveness. It's really amazing. But just to just to see the level of critical thinking that goes into utilizing the formula in their own lives and how they resolve issues themselves rather than relying on outside forces. How it moves way beyond kind of the the constructs that we've built in school to help kids be in control and and be kind. It's it's something. It becomes a language, it becomes a way of seeing, feeling and being in the world. It becomes a little bit of everything that you do, and it feels so good. I mean, there's a neuroscientific aspect to this as well. When we're reactive in life, when we're kind of just reacting to things and not really thinking about it, we get hits of dopamine. When we defend ourselves, you know, when we're triggered and we react, maybe even meanly to behavior, we get a hit of dopamine. And that's a short blast of feeling good, but it never lasts, and it always makes us want to do more in that direction. But when we can pause and we call this the choice moment and thoughtfully respond with love, we get what's called the happiness quartette of neurochemicals. We get dopamine, which is the feel good neurochemical, but we also get oxytocin, which is the love hormone makes us want to reach out to others. We get serotonin, which is our body's natural mood stabilizer, and we get a hit a dose of endorphins, which is our body's natural painkiller. So when we have the ability and it is an ability to thoughtfully respond with love, we get the happiness quartet. So we get a lasting lift of feeling good because we truly are in control and being the highest and best version of ourselves. And you see how that can impact us in so many ways in our lives with healthier relationships. And of course, Harvard University's eighty five year longitudinal study called the Grant Study, longest ever study on human life. They followed three generations found the secret to happiness, which is meaningful connections, healthy relationships. How do we get that? Well, research tells us that it's practicing forgiveness.
Speaker 1: Right wow wow, So I am sure that this movement has also helped to continue your healing process even as you help others. So how has that helped.
Speaker 2: You, Karen. That is such an important point for all of your listeners and something that I didn't know either, that when we thoughtfully respond with love, when we have the courage to step outside of our own busyness, distraction, and even pain to help others, we help and heal ourselves. It's the research behind compassion. Can you imagine if everyone knew that when we serve others, we're serving ourselves as well. That's the research behind compassion. And it's such a beautiful symbiotic thing that when we do for others, it also ripples out. Others see it and they want to do it. So yes, So everything that I do every day, being on this podcast with you and sharing my story and what I've learned earned that is literally practicing compassionate action, and I am aware that it is helping and healing me too. There's more research from Harvard that says when we're aware of the benefits of what we do, we experience them on an exponential level. So there's just so much goodness in this and this is available to everyone, all ages and stages.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, truly amazing. Where has your faith guided you in this journey of forgiveness? And love.
Speaker 2: My faith has just gotten deeper and deeper. You know what's so amazing is that you know you have once something is passed, you can look in a rear view mirror and I see how God set me up to be able to get through this with strength. You know, He put things in place for me before the tragedy that I would never have even thought. If you had told me your son's going to die in six weeks, you better get ready, Well, I wouldn't know. I wouldn't have been so meticulous about what the things God you know, unknowingly to me, was putting in place, the people, places, and things that I would need to be able to move through this. You know, he He's with us, you know, in all aspects of our lives. But I don't think we often think about how He prepares us. And I mean, for instance, uh, six weeks before the tragedy, the boys were acting up at my brothers and I got mad, and so you know, I put them in the back of the car we left early, and I remember looking at my rearview mirror and I'm, you know, yelling at them go. You know sure I didn't know better, saying you know, we need a change in our lives. We need more God. We're going to start going to church, and you guys are going to Bible study. And we did. We went to my neighbor's church, this little church in Monroe around the corner from my house. Now, you don't I wasn't thinking about that then. But then when the tragedy happened, I had a home. I texted my neighbor. She said, the pastors right here will be right over. I wouldn't have known even who to call for strength and comfort and advice from the Bible. And he showed up at my house because I had a relationship in place. I wouldn't have been able to find a church for a funeral because they were all taken. Think of the magnitude of the tragedy. There were twenty six victims. Of course, I say twenty eight because I've included from the beginning Adam and his mom. But you know, I was in this little safe environment, in this new church for me. They held a memorial service for Jesse. He died on a Friday on that Sunday, and this Sunday school teacher stood up and said, you know, Jesse was in my Sunday school class last week and I showed a video on the Life of Jesus, and she said, can you imagine trying to get kindergarteners and first writers who just want to play to sit down? She said, Jesse was in the front row, both little elbows on his knees, his chin in his hands, just intently listening to the life of Jesus like he wanted to know more. And that was so comforting to me in the moment, so like and more all of these things that were set up for me. It makes me feel so loved and so held. And I know that I was then, and I know that I am now, and I know that I will be in the future.
Speaker 1: That is truly an amazing story. And God always has a plan, it seems, and.
Speaker 2: You know, I just want to say one thing. One of the things that was said right after the tragedy is how could God let this happen? You know, but we have free will on earth and certainly God did not want, you know, this young child to be so hurt with so few skills that he grew into this young man who perpetrated a mass murder. That is not in God's will. But you know that was a series of mistakes and oversights and neglect that allowed that to happen. So you know, that wasn't God's doing, but God certainly was there, and he certainly, you know, he certainly made his presence known.
Speaker 1: Right. There are many people that I talked to when they say, when tragedy does happen, they don't understand why. But that's a question for when we get there, to ask God why.
Speaker 2: You know. And that's very true. And at the same time, there's been a lot of incredible things, you know, in movements that have sprung from that tragedy, including the Choose Love movement. And when I allow myself time to sit still and think about the enormous impact that Jesse's life has had on so many I can't tell you the number of kids and adults that have that have come up to me and said that Jesse's act of courage changed their life in profound ways, as well as the Choose Love movement and the things that they take away from that in their own life that they use every day that has transformed and even saved lives. So I can definitely say that the world is a better place because of that event, not despite it.
Speaker 1: Right, absolutely, what message. I mean, you've shared so many messages today. If there's someone listening right now who was trapped in anger and in pain, someone who feels forgiveness is impossible, what message would you share with them?
Speaker 2: Forgiveness is possible for everyone. I would have them seek out a counselor that knows about forgiveness first. But I would also have them, you know they're if they're thinking about this and they want forgiveness, just just pause for a moment and think about how they're feeling now. Because if you continue to go down that cycle of anger and hatred and revenge, that is actually it occurs in the brain in the same place as addiction. It's literally an addiction, and it will make you feel worse, It will make you feel more anxious, and it will continue to weaken you. So if you are ready for a change, pause, get curious about forgiveness. Pick up a book, Maybe pick up Karen's book about forgiveness. Read stories about forgiveness that's called vicarious post traumatic growth. Read stories about people who have forgiven I have a book called Nurturing Healing Love, and it's about my journey of forgiveness as well. Read many stories because you can learn from people how they did it. You're going to see situations that were even worse than yours, where forgiveness freed that person from a lifetime of pain, and you'll see that it's possible. You'll take some skills and tools from those stories and read about it online. Now you can go online and you can learn about anything, and just realize that it is possible and that you will be freed from the anger, hatred and resentment that you feel right now. And the only way to break the cycle of that revenge is through forgiveness. I don't know any other way, and I've been researching this for the last twelve years. That's the only way. But the beautiful thing is it's a choice, and it's available for everyone in every circumstance to free themselves from the bondage of anger, hatred, and resentment and revenge.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Wow, very true.
Speaker 1: And her one of Scarlet's books I have here, which I just started reading, is truly amazing and has stories from people who have been through her program and have learned so much. If Jesse could speak to the world today, and I think your words kind of speak for him, but if he was here, what do you think he would want us all to know.
Speaker 2: I think he would want us all to know that we all have the capacity for the courage that he showed that day. Courage is like a muscle. We can practice it to strengthen it. And the courage that he would be talking about is the courage to be kind when someone's not being kind to us, the courage to do the right thing, the courage to tell the truth, the courage to show up and listen to someone else's opinion without to look for things that you didn't know, to learn and grow through differing opinions instead of getting triggered and reacting in hatred. He would say that we all have that capacity, and he would encourage people to practice that courage. He would say, Hey, look, I was only six and I saved nine of my classmates lives, and you can do it too. You can do it in how you show up in life and being the highest and best version of yourself. I know it's hard. I know it takes effort, but if it didn't, everybody would do it. So put the effort in. You have one life and you don't know you're living the dash now. You don't know when it's going to end, and Jesse is a great example of that. So get up every day determined to choose love as a thoughtful response in the face of whatever is happening. It will benefit you, and it will benefit everyone around you, and it will continue to ripple out to create a safer, more peaceful, and loving world.
Speaker 1: Wow, Scarlett, you've transformed unimaginable pain into a message of light and love. What do you hope people take away from your story not just about loss, but about how to truly live.
Speaker 2: I hope that people listen to my story and they understand that what I did as a normal human being, you know, completely flawed and just waking up every morning just like they are trying every single day. I hope they know that it's possible for them to and And really the formula and the choice moment model that I've talked about, So the formula courage plus gratitude plus forgiveness plus compassion and action plus that choice moment model. That choice moment is the space in between what's happening and our thoughtful response where we can choose, and we call it a heroic choice. Make a heroic choice of love in every response, not give our personal power away to the person who hurt us, but choose love. I want everybody to know that that's possible for them too. And literally, those two models are how I move through the tragedy to do what I did. But I use them every day because life continues to throw curveballs and different situations where where even I that choose love, Lady have to take out both those things and go, okay, how does this work in this situation? But without fail it does. And of course I always recommend a strong faith in God because that is number one. That's the number one most healing thing, and I know that it's available for everyone. That's the beautiful thing. It's just a choice away. So I hope everybody chooses love. I hope you help me spread the message. So it's not just cerebrally. It's not just like, Okay, I'm going to be thinking about this. It's actually in your actions. You make a decision, but then you have to act on it, and those actions have to be consistent. You make mistakes because we're humans and everybody does. I do too, But then you realize you have these skills and tools, this formula to help you get back on track. To being the best version of yourself every day, learning and growing every day, because that only stops, you know, when we leave this world. So every day is an opportunity for learning and growth, and that usually occurs during hurt and pain, So just keep that in mind.
Speaker 1: Wow. Thank you so much, Scarlet for joining us today and for your powerful messages of love, connection and hope and forgiveness. Thank you for reminding us that forgiveness isn't about forgetting what happened. It's about freeing ourselves from the chains of pain and fear. It's about choosing love even when it feels impossible. In her son Jesse's final message, Nurturing Healing Love, Scarlet found not just words but a calling. Through her mission, she's shown that love is stronger than hate, that hope can rise from heartbreak, and that one's courage can ripple out in to heal the world. If you're listening today and facing your own O storm, remember you don't have to have it all figured out. Hope often begins as a whisper, the decision to take one small step towards love, one small act of forgiveness, one small moment of grace. Scarlet's story is proof that we are never powerless no matter what life brings, because when we choose love, we choose life, and we choose hope. Thank you for joining us today on the Hope Show. If you have a story of resilience, healing or transformation, I'd love to hear from you. Remember, every story yours included, has the power to inspire, heal, and bring light into the world, and your journey could be the light someone needs today. Let's keep Hope alive together. This program is made possible through the support of our listeners, friends, and sponsors. If you would like to make a donation, please become or become an advertiser. Please click on my profile to connect, contribute, or share your story. Tune in to all the uplifting programs on Sosradio dot Live every Sunday starting at nine am Eastern Standard Time. I'm Karen MARCIONI be well, Stay hopeful, and until next week at three pm on Sosradio dot Live