Speaker 1: Resenting Orson Wells as the Third Man. The lives of Harry Lyon, the fabulous stories of the immortal character originally created in the motion picture The Third Man with Zipper music by Anton Karrah.
Speaker 2: That was the shot that killed Harry Lyon. He died in a sewer beneath Sienna. And those of you know who saw the movie to Third Man, Yes, that was the end of Harry Lyon, but it's not the beginning. Harryline had many lines, and I can.
Speaker 3: Recount all of them. How do I know Hessen because my name is here, Aylie.
Speaker 2: I've known many places and left them, made many friends and lost them, won many fortunes and spent them. My fate seems to be linked to a cosmic yo Yo. This is a story of a low point and one of the yo Yo trips down. This particular low point is known on the map as the island of Haiti. I arrived as a sort of political refugee. A small revolution I've been promoting in a nearby Banana Republic had.
Speaker 3: Fizzled out on me.
Speaker 2: In the general I've been backing, backed out, and I found myself holding the bag. The bag luckily just happened to contain a few roles of the US Treasury's best letters. So when I descended on Ady, I did it with still. Then after a while I spent the style. Not let anybody say you about the easy life on these tropical islands. You need go in Paradise too, because I still had my friends among the natives. But even they had become devoted students as a rubia, that is, they took the cash and let the credit go.
Speaker 1: And now Orson Wells is Harry Lyon, the third man in Voodoo.
Speaker 3: I am sorry, misery, no more. Come on now, George, You've got a clean white cuff there even for a button.
Speaker 1: Please understand, my boss, you supply my cuffs.
Speaker 2: I cannot bucket up an George, are you trying to tell me that money makes that much difference to you? Do you prefer that sort of customer to me, that that ambassador they'll will over there, the babbitt who comes to Haiti to find somebody new in Toledo, Or do you prefer he I prepare you may see.
Speaker 3: Old man on this island settled. Huh.
Speaker 4: But de boss, you prepared his customer with the money.
Speaker 2: I should have known somehow, George, had never occurred to me that you'd sell out like the rest or commercial. Well you you've been trapped to George, cornered, impaled on the almighty dollar side.
Speaker 3: No no money me. Well, George, it's getting late, time for me to move on.
Speaker 4: I guess that's your greatest fault, Harry Lyme, always moving on.
Speaker 5: And it's always getting so late. Hello, Harry Darling.
Speaker 3: Joing you beautiful, wonderful witch. What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Uh huh, let's not be tried, Harry, I could ask you the same.
Speaker 3: Okay, then whom are you doing here?
Speaker 5: Harry Darling? Three years haven't changed you again?
Speaker 3: Is he that one?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No over there for you?
Speaker 3: Oh? No, don oh.
Speaker 5: He's really quite charming.
Speaker 3: Charming, he's an old and like the way he laughs.
Speaker 1: Who's the door in?
Speaker 4: Darling?
Speaker 6: He pinches waitresses, collects souvenirs, collects money too.
Speaker 2: You might have known you medium to you and George, you might tell your boss that Harry Lyme is on the preferred list again. I spent several pleasant moments following Dorna to the booth, and she sneaked away adroitly between the tables.
Speaker 3: It's difficult for me to focus my attention on a mark. The mark in this case was fat and perspiring.
Speaker 2: Of course, it was ball its contributions to the aromas the cafe with generously ciguise perspiration, his money.
Speaker 1: Sam or hire baby, I was just gonna send out a search embody for you.
Speaker 3: Sam.
Speaker 1: I'd like you to meet an old friend of mine, Harry Lyme.
Speaker 3: Sam, I'm very happy to meet you, mister talking. Oh, sit down, sit on.
Speaker 1: Any friend of Donna's is a friend of mine within region. Accorder you from the States to Larry.
Speaker 5: Harry Sam Harry Lyme.
Speaker 1: Huh oh yeah, Harry, what part of the States you're from. I'm from Toledo, Toledo. Yeah, one of my plants is in Toledo.
Speaker 3: Or drink, have a drink, waiter, bring my friend and drink. Great little time, sir.
Speaker 1: Of course to me, any town's a great town as long as business is good. Hey, you know, I'm this is my first vacation in eighteen years.
Speaker 3: Eighteen years. Can you imagine that he gambled for return? It is he gambled.
Speaker 2: Dorno was obviously abused by my boardom, but my patience has always had a price. Talking kept gambling, so I almost considered reducing that price and.
Speaker 3: Then gave me my cue. Sure is hot in these parts.
Speaker 1: Well, baby, come on, let's go out of this dump and find some souvenirs.
Speaker 2: And what sort of souvenirs you're looking for, mister talkin, No, I don't know the souvenirs.
Speaker 1: Well, souvenirs in me, now, come on, beautiful it. Souvenirs can be more than souvenirs, mister.
Speaker 3: Torkon, No, I'm what kind of talking. I'll look mister talking, you're a man of taste and means Hey, sales, pitch, Hey, what are you selling here, Harry? What are you selling? Well?
Speaker 2: Selling, I'm selling nothing, not but plain ordinary common sense.
Speaker 3: It's had a premium on this island. As to talking, yes about Haiti voted this.
Speaker 2: Island is steeped and said, I'm not archive, not the lace trim sort of thing. Sentiment here is a wild, untamed, primitive love, a sense of possession which defies the laws of.
Speaker 3: Man in nature. Now listen to those drums toys. Listen, they're telling you the secrets of hate. If you understand them. Had as much as any civilized man is permitted to. Well, that's that bootible stuff. Any one and not stuff to.
Speaker 2: Those drums are calling for the voodoo gods to smile upon the wedding of the Native man and his beloved. The wedding nights are just beginning at Virginal dawn. It's the wedding of Fantasy and Grigory who Fantasy works as a waiter in a hotel in town.
Speaker 3: His father got a jam once with the planet. And I just happened to say his neck. That counts for something. Hey, oh, that reminds me. If you'll excuse me, here where you go, I'm going to the wedding. You're going to take a swip. I wish I could do another Well.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, wait a minute, I'll Oh what about oldest sentiment and souvenirs and all?
Speaker 2: Well, all right, look, Haiti is crawling with prices, relics, anthropological prizes, historical symbols.
Speaker 3: They bring fantastic prices from any museum in the States. Oh well, they're selling them. They're not selling them. Talk, They've got another island. There's another people to find them.
Speaker 2: How come they were so much sandal and old Man Santum and the voodoo brands.
Speaker 3: The natives protect their sacred symbols with their lives, and of course that the raw materials, hospittle.
Speaker 2: Sentimental trinkets, diamonds, rubies, sapphires, missus.
Speaker 3: Laney's baubles, the kind of centerment we understand.
Speaker 5: Oh, I love souvenirs like.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, Lime, I guess you can get me one of them bobbles.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's possible. Now what's your deal?
Speaker 2: Well, first, let me find a suitable trinket china up in the bargain for now, mister talking, the small retainer will do.
Speaker 3: Huh oh yeah, well how much poor ways you wish?
Speaker 2: Which But as those dramas would tell you, Sanderland comes high Haiti. I had a feeling a donor would keep saying, talking well occupied for the present, the future. Of course, I was handling my own way, and in the meantime something to worry about except keeping a date was two old friends.
Speaker 3: I found my friends in the floor.
Speaker 2: I see of the seven we find in the place of honor, that's the fit of them.
Speaker 3: Ah, monsieur Albi, we don't think you ever come ire in the message fancy you on, Gregor are my favorite people.
Speaker 5: But thank you you are time you say that's.
Speaker 3: So often Grigier I must do it serious. I wish you both much happen mass We.
Speaker 5: Will be happy always when we have friends like Ouri Line. You have done so much about us, our families. We cannot forgive you.
Speaker 2: I say, a man, you'll go far with a wife like this, She says all the right things.
Speaker 1: It is the time.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, we are married already.
Speaker 4: It is the moment to pledge yourselves to the authority. Sorry, it is a tribal custom, the suns.
Speaker 5: These these are tribal secrets.
Speaker 3: Oh, you don't trust your old friends of secrets. Thank, see what's happening? What's that?
Speaker 5: It is the authority this chapter the state great Chepto Star.
Speaker 2: The sceptor of early christof well, it was the supernir for talking.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm all right, all right, who is this? Only Christo was talking? You mean to say you never heard of it?
Speaker 2: Christoph was well, only was the the George Washington of Heji.
Speaker 1: Every too big, country's got its own Washington. Get me Washington, Sceptor and my mis Listen listen.
Speaker 3: No man.
Speaker 2: Christoff started like as a lady, became Haji's most powerful ruler. At one point, was regime talking. He stood off the combined armies of France and England with two thousand men on the north side of his island.
Speaker 3: Old man up near the car. Huh the cop got back in friend his fortress high on the hill. About the jungle, you've seen it, don't Oh, how could I miss it? Big enough, one of the biggest Washington didn't build that turken priest talks him.
Speaker 2: So what he didn't just order it, Bill, He planned it, designed to supervised the work. Dug rocks out of the mountains with his bare hands. Your self made man talk, and that ought to appeal to What about the sceptor line? Look, o, man, Harry Christoff is a landlocked saint. To these people are all powerful earth God.
Speaker 3: While he lives.
Speaker 2: His scepter was his symbol of strength and well being. King in those days was a profitable business overment. Priest Off had more jewels in that scepter than.
Speaker 3: Dorna has curves.
Speaker 2: And there's a revoltsy and hazy increased stuff was found dead that the sceptor was gone for over a hundred years, and s whereabouts.
Speaker 3: Have been kept secrets. I know the secret talking, I can get it for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my business.
Speaker 3: Your business is to make it worth my while.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm how much this time?
Speaker 3: Or plenty? Old man? Fancy fancy riots? Oh are oh you.
Speaker 4: Are welcome in the House of Sun, saying greatly my friend.
Speaker 2: Ay, I'm been looking for I've got.
Speaker 3: To talk to you. Oh, we are always eager to listen. Fancy it is that cpter ecept. That's the matter? Are you please?
Speaker 4: You must not ask.
Speaker 5: These are secrets about people, and.
Speaker 3: I've always considered myself one of your people.
Speaker 4: Great, my friend, Ari, I have told you too much already. Please do not think any more of the SPT. It is forbidden to speak.
Speaker 3: Of it, forbidden among friends.
Speaker 4: Haney with this different It is the authority it is.
Speaker 5: It is the scepter of Ally Christal.
Speaker 3: It is passed on from high priest to high priest.
Speaker 5: It is never off of their hands. It is the authority.
Speaker 3: Or that is enough to know.
Speaker 2: Please ask no more, greggling, Would I ask if it's one important?
Speaker 3: No? Are you I got to know more about it? Gre fancy you understand? Don't show you don't make them stay more? Are you?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 5: Don't make them say more? Please?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 3: Yeah, come in, fancy, come.
Speaker 4: In man, Are you do not mind that I come here.
Speaker 3: Of course, not anytime. That's the trouble.
Speaker 5: I do not know. It is not mic.
Speaker 4: When you are at my house today, I see you have great trouble. I try to tell greekly, but you don't unders trouble. And wait a minute, I am telling her you. I must have great trouble, or you would not ask for tribal think.
Speaker 3: Well, it is all right, daddy. You are my friend.
Speaker 4: When you are in trouble, I help you.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, God, that's the stero man.
Speaker 4: You have done much for me and Greek Greek.
Speaker 3: This is for you.
Speaker 5: It is theceptor of.
Speaker 3: All christophis Fancy it is yours. I could do no less. Fancy it. No, it's you.
Speaker 5: Will have no more trouble.
Speaker 2: A well, now wait a minute, what about you? How did you get this thing?
Speaker 3: Anyway? It is no master my story from the high priest. But if they find out you took it, they won't go to the police. No, I won't put you in jail. Off No, or what will I do?
Speaker 4: They will not put me in jail. They will not go to the police. The priest will be my judge. Fancy what will they do? They will punish me.
Speaker 6: I will die for some and Wells returns in just a moment as the third man.
Speaker 1: In next, oh orson Welles as the third man continues with voodoo.
Speaker 2: Had I known a man like Fancy earlier in my life, my ideas about all men might just possibly be a little different today. Here was the truest kind of friend, true in the real sense of the word true. He was staking his life, literally, staking his life on his faith in every line. If I rejected his author of the Sacred scept drive to shattered his faith in me, Fancy lived by his faith in his friends. And I did need the scepter as for friends, M and many kinds of friendship. He mm tell the truth? Mm oh sure, darn and I love your rabbits.
Speaker 5: No, no, not that about the scepter.
Speaker 3: No nice sigut that here?
Speaker 5: Ks, is it really the sceptor of only crystal? And think simile by it?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 5: Why is it too very sorry?
Speaker 3: Veras cluster real these big fat scipphire.
Speaker 5: In the middle, Harry M, what's it really worse?
Speaker 3: Mm? Twenty thousand, maybe twenty five most of the ash trail.
Speaker 5: And that talking would give me thirty five thousand for it. Thanks. So I'm pretty as the new m h.
Speaker 3: Right, but I have preached up sept.
Speaker 5: Darling, if you let me have a link to darn.
Speaker 2: Nice sweet I watched you three years ago in Madagascar, excepting might be a temptation if you leave me again, no.
Speaker 3: Stars never, I.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't thirty five thousand be nicer than twenty five?
Speaker 3: Don't you let me no acts. I don't have a sept talking bought it this morning. Fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: That's why you lost me Madagascar. Uh huh, I guess I got to work. I'm talking again.
Speaker 3: Good old same, good old sad. Somehow good old Sam ran a bad second. Dorna was no fool. She wasn't greedy. I was available. I had money, not as much as talking, of course, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Have to keep her satisfied temporarily. We decided on a small celebration of sort that requires noisy public demonstrations with champagne bottles. We went to a little cafe, and I rather enjoyed the oppression I was making, particularly on George.
Speaker 3: Would you like me to put this on your bill? Miss certainly? Not George, certainly. I wouldn't want to cause any undue strain of suffering. For your employer. But monsieur, never mind, George Roman. Here they should cover the situation on here. Here's a little something for you. Thank you, Messieri, you were what's the matter?
Speaker 5: You will exclude the military.
Speaker 3: I must go, huh, I'm sorry. I must close the back, close the bar at this time of time, just a minute. The drums, you understand, the drums. The drums, my George, the death drums. I didn't want to tell you, monsieur, why before. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, Harry, I don't know. Those are the dress drums. I mean someone's dead.
Speaker 3: They're dying. I'm going to die, going to die. I don't know. I have a punch. I hope I'm wrong, Harry.
Speaker 5: Wait where are you going? Hurry?
Speaker 2: When I got to the ceremonial grounds, I saw a frenzied side, hundreds and eightes still dressed in the tablet jungarrees, the cane fields, dancing, shrieking, half hypnotized. The drums. The drums are death all right? Mistaken. Because I crashed through the brush so the clearing, I saw that they had already already taken a life. There was a body of a dead body strapped to a post in the center of the circle, Sam talking. The voodoo priests danced up and back in front of it, waving curses over it and screaming through the slaves and a hideous mask. And in his hand he held a sceptive where he cristal sceptor that had costed.
Speaker 3: Talking more than he'd bother him for. I'd had enough. I turned to leave, and then at the far end of the clearing, I saw something else. Two more bodies and tied together, back.
Speaker 2: To back, hanging by their wrists from a long crossboard strung between two trees.
Speaker 3: The two of them together, the Fancy and Griegory, ready to be sacrificed. No, no, wait, stop stopping.
Speaker 1: I tell you.
Speaker 5: Left on all of your exten Look at me.
Speaker 3: You're making a mistake. You're torturing your torture doing.
Speaker 4: It some people.
Speaker 1: You can't do it.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm long forbidden.
Speaker 4: They must be.
Speaker 3: No, he will die and they can't die. You're punishing him for something they didn't do. You think they sold recept to this man, but they didn't die.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 3: I made Fancy. Tell me about it. I'm the one you want pleasant to me. You've got to believe me.
Speaker 8: I lie would not go there.
Speaker 3: I lie need yet, but I tell you an idea, and I'm the guy you want.
Speaker 2: So Untie, these ropes come on more over, there'll be a new voodoo breeze holding forward at your funeral.
Speaker 5: No use, I lie, you can the others would take the event.
Speaker 3: No use to kill these to either.
Speaker 2: Okay, Greegree, you're loose. Help Untie Fancy, Okay, I'll do it myself. I'll still fancy theres.
Speaker 3: I come on, come on, I'll get you two out of this.
Speaker 5: It is too late. You must go.
Speaker 3: Come on, I'll help. You'll run for us. Stay back you want to take her, I'll start knocking off voodoo.
Speaker 8: I want it out there.
Speaker 2: Regale, you're going m m, well now it goes, Haiti donner. Another corner of the world's chipped off.
Speaker 5: You'll be back here.
Speaker 2: No Fancy and Greegrey are gone to Cuban time. People learn the truth about me. Haiti's throw with Harry Lyon.
Speaker 5: You're really taking a serious dance.
Speaker 3: M after my fashion sasion. They say, messed up your meals.
Speaker 5: Take a two tonty Santi, who's sa.
Speaker 2: H.
Speaker 5: Don't worry, Harry, you will take care.
Speaker 3: Of me until the fifty thousand is gone.
Speaker 5: Well that's what I thought.
Speaker 3: A drink.
Speaker 7: Harry Lime returns in just a moment. And now, Harry Lyon, I know what you're saying. You're saying that wasn't Harry Lion at all. You're saying the noble hero that pulled off that fancy rescue part, he wasn't the same man. He was a couple of other guys. Just goes to show how I misjudge.
Speaker 2: We'll ask Fancy and Grigory, now happily keeping house in the suburb of Havanna.
Speaker 3: That's how it really was Harry Lion that got them out of that whole voodoo mess. Of course, they'll also remind you that I got them into it. And then I possibly mentioned that as the three of us dashed off into the jungle, I paused just long enough to borrow.
Speaker 2: That scepter back from the high Priest. Got a nice price for a tree from Collector and Brussels. But that's another story.
Speaker 3: So long now.
Speaker 2: And if anybody should run into Dorana anywhere in Timbuctoo, for example, at the store club, give her my love reminder. She owes me about fifteen thousand hyder in American bucks, which seem to have slipped out of a hole in my pocket or something. No hard feelings, of course, but if you get a choice between voodoo, voodoo and little Dorana, I hope you'll know what to do about it. Take the voodoo, every time.
Speaker 3: Of it.
Speaker 8: In spats, said.
Speaker 3: Blast, complete.
Speaker 8: In compass its insists against