Speaker 1: SGKR Injury Attorneys proudly sponsors the Friday Night Drive. I met round you. We are ready to take on the insurance company for you and get you to the end zone.
Speaker 2: Visit us G A.
Speaker 3: N A S SI N dot com, Gannison dot com.
Speaker 2: This is State Representative Steve Reich. Since twenty sixteen, it's been my privilege to represent the sixty third district in the Illinois House. I'd like to continue representing you and I'm asking for your vote on November fifth.
Speaker 4: Thank you pay for by citizens to elect Stephen Reich.
Speaker 3: Hello everybody, and welcome to the Friday Night Drive Western Suburbs podcast. This is Josh Welgy along with Joel Bennett's and Joel. We're a third of the way through the regular season. I can't believe it. Time flies. You know, how's it been going for you and how are you doing today?
Speaker 4: Thanks, It's been pretty good this entire I mean, like you mentioned, we're third of a week or third of the way through football season and we've seen a lot of interesting results so far. I've gotten some shocks on one side. On the other hand, we've seen some teams playing better than expected. So it's definitely been a shocking season so far.
Speaker 3: Definitely has a lot of interesting results from last Friday that we're going to talk about, and then we're going to also look ahead to Week four in the high school football season. So you know, we talked about it last week on the podcast Jill that that the conference games were about to start in some of the leagues of the Ducaine West Suburban the Chicago Catholic League, the c c l E s CC was one of those leagues as well, and you know, there was some interesting matchups across the board. I mean, Nazareth Mount Carmel lived up to what we thought was going to be a really high scoring game, really exciting game there, but really the result I think that probably everybody was talking about. Certainly the game that caught my attention was Saint Francis going up Toyola, first ever game that Loyo has played under the lights on Friday night lights. Obviously the two time defending Lass eight eight champs. Saint Francis led pretty much the whole game, I feel like, and they went on to win thirty five to twenty one.
Speaker 5: Very impressive win for them. Really kind of the star of the show.
Speaker 3: Brady Palmer, their quarterback, who their coach Bob McMillan has really talked up.
Speaker 5: He likes them a lot.
Speaker 3: Huge game. He ran for eighty seven yards two touchdowns. He threw for one hundred and ninety two yards two touchdowns. Zach Washington caught it a couple of touchdowns from him. But man, Saint Francis is a team that they played Kenwood week one. It was kind of a close game, so I'm thinking, I'm kind of wondering about Saint Francis. Then they went down to Saint Louis and you know, nothing against Joel, but when teams go to the cross state line of Missouri, I don't know what's going on down there. I don't know if the teams they're playing good are really good or not. So I was a little bit unsure about Saint Francis. I thought they were pretty good. They really show that they're they're a team that's gonna be uh that you're gonna want to watch out for.
Speaker 5: That's a big win for that program.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. I mean Saint Francis was one of those teams I think everybody was a little bit confused about how they were. I think people knew they were going to be good. It was just a matter of how good they were going to be. Obviously, the loss of Aalles Santro Midevoovich was really a big loss for that program. But like you kind of mentioned, there are other contributing factors as well, like Zach Washington Ian Willis outside and I think that's really been helping them as well. Now with Loyola, I mean, it was their first game or their first home game under the lights at home. I mean, it was a really big game for them. And obviously when you don't have somebody like Brian Fitzgerald on the field, you know, kind of commanding that offense, it's a little hard to impact the game and just kind of keep up with a team like Saint Francis. But I mean, overall, it's still a really awesome showing for the Spartans, and you know, it really shows what they can do against a top quality or against a high quality team like Loyola.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you mentioned Ryan Fitzgerald, loyal'st quarterback going to Iowa, and it was notable that he did not play in that game. He tweaked his hamstring in the first quarter of the Glenbard West game previous week that I was at, and you know, at the time, they kind of really downplayed it. They said if he could have returned, he if we needed to, he could have returned in that game. And so I thought maybe he played last Friday. I was very surprised that he didn't. But you know, again, it's week three of the regular season. They're probably not gonna want to take any chances. It wasn't a CCL E SCC blue games, so they're probably like, let's not risk it here. But at the end of the day, Ryan Fitzgerald doesn't play defense and St. Francis scored thirty five points.
Speaker 5: In that game.
Speaker 3: And if we're you know, I don't want to talk too much about Ryan Fitzgerald. I want to talk more about the quarterback that played in that game, Brady Palmer from Saint Francis. You mentioned St. Francis graduated a great quarterback Seo. I'm not even gonna try to pronounce it the last name, because I butchered every time grade three years started for Saint Francis. And like you said, I think there's a little bit of uncertainty, a little bit not sure what about Saint Francis, and it probably started with the quarterback position when you graduated three year started. But but Brady Palmer, he's he's answered all the questions so far and and what a great win. I mean, last year Saint Francis, an icy Catholic Prep, they joined the the c C L E s CC Conference and really kind of wondered how those teams would faire in that league because they're they're you know, they're they're.
Speaker 5: Kind of smaller schools.
Speaker 3: They've kind of dominated the leagues that they are in previous to that, and and Saint Francis really really answered the belt. I mean, they've they've shown that they can compete against the better teams in that league. And again, a very very impressive win for Bob mc millan's program. So, uh, congratulations Saint Francis. Moving on, we we mentioned it before the the Duke Cane Conference was going to be starting play last week, and you know, I think we talked about last week that I said, every week there's gonna be one or two games that are down to the wire and wild finishes and close games, and it just didn't transpire that last week.
Speaker 5: I mean, there was a lot of you know.
Speaker 3: Kind of two touchdown, three touchdown type games. I mean, very impressive weeks for Geneva Saint Charles North Batavia. I mean they really stood out from last week. And you were at one of those games. You got to see Geneva beat wien Rville South.
Speaker 4: Yeah, slight change of pace. I actually went to the closest game throughout the entire conference. I mean it was two touchdown or it was a two touchdown score. Final score is forty five thirty one Geneva. But in all honesty, the scot didn't tell the entire story of the game. I mean it was pretty much Geneva kind of just taking the reins on offense throughout the entire game. And I think from this game, it really does show the versatility of Geneva's offense. I mean, Talent Taylor finished the game with or two receptions in twenty nine yards and Tony Chikino still ended up running for over three hundred yards for the first time in a Vikings uniform. I mean, it showed a lot of versatility on that offense. I mean they finally got Michael Romorro included in the game. He had two hundred scrimmage yards in the game with eighty three rushing yards and one hundred and seventeen reception yards in two touchdowns. Bennett Conky as sophomore who's kind of rosen up in the ranks on that Vikings offense, he finished with eighty eight yards in a touchdown and plus also he got his second return touchdown of the season. So it kind of showed the versatility of that Geneva offense and shows that, hey, even if we don't have a guy like Talon Taylor, you know, producing as much as he usually does because he's getting double teamed, we can still hurt you in multiple different ways. And I think another thing as well that was kind of interesting. I noticed in the fourth quarter Talon Taylor was playing defense a whole lot. He was trying to cover Mary Williams on Wheaton worn Ville South. He actually ended up limping off the field late in the fourth quarter. It looked like he was getting something done on his right leg, back of his right leg, maybe like an achilles or something like that. So that is something that we may need to look forward in the future because obviously Taylor missed a lot of time last year due to a torn meniscus, so it does have that injury history, but it's definitely gonna be something to look forward to in the future to see if it limits his you know, offensive play or even play on defense as well in the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, certainly something to keep an eye on. I mean, that's impressive that Geneva was able to do what they did offensively when talent Taylor only had two catches. But you know, if they're going to be winning conference titles and going deep into playoffs, they need talent Taylor on the field and on the feel healthy.
Speaker 5: So we'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe they they they take the Ryan Fitzgerald route and are kind of careful Brandon back. I'm sure they will, especially given what he means to that team and also his future. I mean, the kid's gonna be playing high Division one football in the future, so I don't want to take any chances. So yeah, certainly something to watch. But but Geneva very impressive win Saint Charles North. I mean that Saint Charles North. They be Wheaton North pretty handily. That was really a game that I thought might have been the most compelling matchup last week and maybe the closest matchup. But they really controlled that game and Ada mcclury ad a pick six, I believe, and they just keep rolling.
Speaker 5: Really impressive win for Saint Charles North.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. I mean it was you know, it was one of those games that kind of pained on my calendar. It was like, this may have potential to be a really good game, but I mean Saint Charles North just took advantage of the opportunities they got and the mistakes that we North made throughout the game. I mean, you mentioned Aiden McClure. He finished the game with another pick six. It's his second year or second week in a row where he got that. He also got to fumble his second week in a row doing that, So he's been a really good factor on defense before the North Stars. And I mean we kind of saw, you know, Keaton Rinky being one of the forefronts of the offense in the past couple of weeks. They they pushed off again to the running back Joel Holloman, who ended up with one hundred and thirty front or one hundred and thirty rush yards, fifty six receiving yards, and two touchdowns as well. So they kind of you know, pushed It followed the trend of most of the other Tri city teams and pushed everything onto the running back this time around, and it seemed to worked out for them a whole lot. And it's definitely a good confidence Buscher goes for you note against the team that you've lost to last year heading into a big game like Batavia next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, so good wins for Batavia, Geneven San Charles North. I still think that league. I'm not counting out either of the Wheatons. I think they're going to be heard from at the end of the day. And I think Lake Park has got a pretty pretty good team as well, but maybe, just maybe Patavia, Genevan Sant Charles North have established a pecking order, you know, through one one one week in that league. Another league that started conference play last week was West of West Suburban and Downers Grove North. They have just they have just demolished everybody in their path so far in a year. They beat Glenbard West forty two to seven game that was played in a running clock in the second half, and and Downards Go North is just They've only given up one score in three games, and I think they've scored forty two points in every game they played. Owen Lance to their quarterback going to Minnesota. He threw for three touchdowns. But really there their defense has been darned. But I mean they only gave up I think five first downs to Down and Grove South. They only gave up six first downs to Glenbard West. I mean, they're just really putting on teams. And and they were a team that last year they got to the Class seven eight state champion, UH state final. You know kind of wonder what they are gonna be like coming back. They have clearly established themselves as a team that's gonna be a team to watch, not only in the West Suburb and Silver, but also in seven A. I mean, they're they're they're clearly one of the top teams in seven eight so far. Hey football fans, listen up on top there and I drive a Hawk. I got it from my friends at Hawk Volkswagen.
Speaker 5: So drive what I drive.
Speaker 3: Drive a Hawk off Volkswagon on Jefferson Street one or online at HAWKVW dot com.
Speaker 2: This is State Representative Steve Reich, and I'm happy to sponsor this year's Friday Night Drive. There'll be plenty of time for politics down the road, but for now, let's enjoy some high school football. Whichever school you follow, give them your support.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think, you know, kind of that good variety of having a very high scoring offense while also having a defense that doesn't give up a whole lot of yardage. I mean, it's definitely a good recipe for success. And I mean, on the flip side of that, I mean, talk about Glen Pard West. I mean, probably one of the more shocking things about it is that they're entering week four without a win. I think, if I remember correctly from all the podcasts I've been hit listening to about all of this, this is the first time they're owing three since like nineteen ninety seven, I believe. So it's definitely, you know, in the past couple of weeks we've said there's no you know, room for alarm or anything like that, or no reason two it may be if they start out the season and forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I knew that going into the year this was going to be a brutal start to the season. I mean, when you're talking about playing Batavia, playing Loyola, playing Downers Grove North the first three weeks of the season, and then on top of it, you know, they go to Lions soundship this week. A really good Lions team that is that is just a that's just a gauntlet start of the year. And yeah, I think Steve Susi had in one of his stories this week, I believe it's it's either nineteen eighty nine or nineteen ninety nine. The last time Glenbard West started uh oh to three. I believe it was nineteen eighty nine, So we're going back a few years. And yeah, I mean I'm not I'm not counting them out. They had kind of a slow start to the year last year, a little bit worried and at their start. Running back Tayan Oriental has not played its injuring his hand in week one, so they obviously need to get him back with it. Don't get them back, their offense is really going to struggle to struggle to put up any points.
Speaker 5: But but yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean, they could be a team that if you're looking at four and five record at the end of the year, they're into the playoffs, but you need to get to four wins to get there, and they're at zero right now. So certainly a lot of sense of urgency on the Glenbard west Side, but very impressed to win for downers Grold North a game that Joe outside of the suburbs people might not really understand maybe how big of the game is. I'm talking about a game that I was at last Friday. Sandwich was playing at Plano. It was a one hundred and thirteenth edition of that rivalry along Route thirty four. They've been playing since eighteen ninety seven, which that's that's a long time, and it's a game that you know, really means a lot to both of those communities. I mean, fans were packed, Plano, came out in purple smoke, They had fireworks before the game. I mean, how many times do you see fireworks before a game? Not very often, not for a high school game. Certainly it was an event and Sandwich just a very impressive win. That was a game that they really needed. They started the season zero to two. They were a team that made the Class four eight quarterfinals last year. They really came out and did what they do. They ran the ball. They run out of that wing wing team with multiple running backs. They ran for almost four hundred yards of offense. They had two running backs Simey and Harris and Nick Michael Lake that both went over one hundred yards. Their full back Diego Gomez ran for almost seventy five yards. Their quarterback Brady Barringer, he ran for two touchdowns, threw for one. Simmey and Harris, who's just his nickname is Flash and he earns that name name the kids fast. I mean, he's a track kid, plays basketball, plays football. He had a seventy five yard touchdown run. But a very impressive win for Sandwich forty one to sixteen. And now they're one and two and now, you know, get their feet on the ground and now maybe they're feeling a little bit better about themselves. They're getting getting a little bit healthier. They got one of their key offensive linemen back for that game, so feeling good about themselves. So a very good win for Sandwich and a great environment last Friday. Before we look ahead to the next week, any other games that kind of caught your attention from last Friday.
Speaker 4: I think a big thing for me was just kind of, you know, when I kind of mentioned how there were some teams that kind of surprised me at the beginning or that have been kind of surprising at the beginning of the year, and one of those that has kind of popped out for me has been Cainland. They started out three and oh for the first time since twenty fourteen with a forty two seven win over to Calb. I mean, after those first two weeks where the offense was a little bit shaky, they're say, you know, they finally it looked like they finally found their footing against the the Calb team, who they maybe zero to three, but you know, had some very hard fought losses in there. So I think it's definitely a good sign for Caitland heading into heading into conference play when they face Autawa this week. But yeah, no, I think it was a really impressive showing for them in the week three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean similar to Saint Francis and that. I mean, you lose really guys that have been faced to your program for a long time, uh, Caitlin. I'm talking about you know, Treyer Carlson and Eric Johnson a receiver, and and you know, life goes on. I mean, new guys take over and guys that are really talented you might still have in your program, and clearly they do.
Speaker 5: I mean they're you.
Speaker 3: Know, you can maybe chalk up one win and you're like, all right, let's see what they got. There're three and zero. Now they have let's be honest, they have a favorable matchup with Ottawa this week. They're looking at a four to oho record, feeling good about themselves. You mentioned their defense has been great so far, their offense got going with forty two points. They're feeling pretty good about things, and they should. I mean, that's a really good start to the year. And they beat some good programs, you know, Washington, Wakanda, Tocalb. I know they've struggled a bit, but out still a bigger school than Kaitlin. So I mean, that's that's still a good win for them, beating the Calps. So yeah, that that's that's a very good start for Kaitlin. Feeling good about themselves. On another note, a couple of teams in the Southwest Prairie Conference that I saw that really really needed wins last week and they got him was Yorkville and Oswego East. They both started owing two. They both really struggled offensively the first couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Both really got going on.
Speaker 3: Suwego East was able to score forty two points to beat Plaintfield East and then and I and I'm getting him myself. Uh, Yorkville they were able to put up thirty one points against Joey at West they got a big block punt for a touchdown. And then back to the IU reference, Uh, Dylan Malone their their wide receiver that's going to n IU. He caught two touchdowns. He's a guy that man. They need to get the ball on his hands and let him make plays because he's like six foot three, six foot four, long, fast, can make plays. He needs the ball in his hands, and he he made. I mean he had a fifty five yard touchdown catch. He also had a catch that our writer Hart Pisani said it was just a great juggling, very athletic type play. So a good win for Yorkville, a good win for US. Suegly East. They're one and two. Now, you know, they get a win this week and are back to two and two, and now we're now we're talking now we're thinking about maybe getting it getting set up for a playoff run. So so, yeah, a lot of great football from Week three, Yeah, solutely.
Speaker 4: And it sounds like also it was a good week for players heading the NIU next week or next year, especially at the wide receiver position. I forgot to mention it earlier when we were talking about the game, but Amari Williams from Warrenville South, who's also heading the NIU, finished with nine catches, one hundred and twenty five yards and two touchdowns. So definitely a good week for NIU future NIU receivers.
Speaker 3: And I hu the rich just keep getting richer. What can you say? I mean, it's just all about NU right now. So so yeah, we week four as we look ahead, and obviously the game that stands out uh Batavian St. Charles North. Uh, Joe'll be your first time seeing that matchup. It's it's a game that seems like it never disappoints. There's been so many down to the wire, overtime, double overtime, great performances. But as you look at this matchup, what are you looking for.
Speaker 4: And expecting another great game this time around? I mean, obviously these are a battle between the past two Dukine Conference champions. I mean two years ago St. Charles North defeated Batavia or to hear that conference championship, and then last year Batavia beat it. Patavia beat them and went on their way to win another DK Conference championship last year, so it's gonna be another really big battle for them. Obviously, you know St. Charles North has experienced on their roster, especially on the offense, which is something that you know Patavia is still getting a lot more of. I mean, obviously you've got Ethan Plumb, You've got Keaton Ranky, You've got Joel Holloman on offense, got a McClure who's kind of on a hot streak right now on defense. So Saint Charles North does definitely have the weapons in order to pull out their second win three years against Batavia. But I mean you can never really count the Bulldogs. I mean they've shown week in and week out how valuable some of those players on that team are. I mean, obviously, Nathan Whitwell has up for five hundred rushing yards in this season through three games. So who's going to be able to stop them this time around? I'm not sure, but I definitely think it's going to be a really good game no matter which way it turns.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, Nathan Whitlaw's just put up some huge numbers right off the bat, starting with that Week one game in s Gunbard West, and know taking the pressure off of their first year starting quarterback. And uh but but yeah, I mean it's it's it's a game that never disappoints. It's a game that I mean, Batavia is going to find out a lot more about themselves the next few weeks, you know, you know, facing these guys, uh, facing Geneva in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: So uh so, yeah, I'm really really.
Speaker 3: Interested to see what happens, you know in that one other matchups that I'm looking at in the in the Chicago Catholic League, Mantini and Fenwick, a couple of teams that they got a couple of wins right off the bad to the season, and then they they're both coming off losses. Fenwick to Joliet Catholic in a pretty close game and Mantini lost the Maris And uh and yeah, I mean that that's it's a game that you know, just kind of curious to see how they're gonna bounce back. I mean, Montini's got a lot of experience on defense, uh, Fanwick on the other side, their quarterback really talented, kind of dual threat tight quarterback and and and that's match them just kind of and to see how those two teams are gonna respond. I think both of those teams, particularly mon Teenie, are going to be teams that we're going to be following quite a bit, very deep into playoffs. But but you know, I want to see how they do coming off of that lost to Maris and the other.
Speaker 5: Game in the Catholic League.
Speaker 3: Actually, there's a couple more that are of interest to Nazareth playing Icy Catholic. Icy Catholic coming off of their first loss. They they lost to Ignacious Actullly Nazareth coming off their first loss as well. I feel like this is kind of a recurring theme here. But but you know, really really good matchup there, Nazareth and Ici Catholic and then and then the other one, Saint Francis. We talked about them off the top beating Loyola. I mean the Catholic League. It's like, oh my god, we had this huge win last week. Well now we can take a break. Well, no, now you've got sant Rita coming to your place. So, I mean, it's just kind of the nature of the beasts in that league. It's just kind of a week in, week out grind.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So one thing I've learned since you know moving to Illinois is that, you know, the Christian Catholic League is very good at football, and each team basically has to go through the gauntline every single year. So yeah, it's definitely a big thing, and it's definitely gonna be a big week in the Christian Catholic League this week.
Speaker 5: Chicago and Chicago cl E s CC.
Speaker 4: Just how that serves how long I've been here, because I still don't know the name of it.
Speaker 3: I just used the Latters and I'm happy. So yeah, a lot of good football. Any other games that kind of stand out to you this week, Joel?
Speaker 4: I think in terms of, you know, from my coverage area. I think another big one that I think is going to be one that's not on everybody's radar but could be potentially is going to be from the Pops Valley Conference. I got Burlington Central Crystal Lake Central. I mean, both those teams have been right on the edge of, you know, being playoff teams, you know, pretty consistently over these past couple of years. I don't think Burlington Central has made it twenty hasn't had a winning season since twenty seventeen. They're two and one heading into this conference but I think is one of their best records that they've had entering this contest in the past couple of years. And I think this is gonna be a big game for Burlington Central because if they gonna win against Crystal Lake Central, you know, it puts them at three and one, and it puts a really good a really good position to potentially make it into the playoffs for the first time since twenty fourteen. So I think this is actually going to be a game that might be important to watch, especially with the layer seasons or with the later weeks coming in. And if they lose, this may be the one loss to where it's like, this is the game where they should have won and they would have been in the playoffs. But yeah, I think that's the one game that I'm thinking of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a nine game season, it's like there's there's a handful of games that you are pretty sure you're gonna win, and there's one or two games that a lot of teams you're wondering if they have a chance, you know, compete. But yeah, I mean, if you're a team that's gonna be around that five and four mark, there's usually that one or two games that it really makes a difference. And it might not be in week nine, it might be in week four, because week nine you might have a team that you know you can beat or.
Speaker 5: You know is gonna be tough to beat.
Speaker 3: I mean, but but there's usually that one or two games that that you can really identify and and that was a good one.
Speaker 5: For Burington Central and another one I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 3: We mentioned off the top a game I'm gonna be out Saturday, Glenbard West playing at Lions Township. How will they respond? I mean, oh and four does not mean you don't make the playoffs. But man, if they get to oh and four, they still have York left on their schedule, one of the best teams in that league. So that's gonna be another one. And then you know they still play Hinstille Central. I mean that that's not a that's not a gimme there. So I mean we've been talking about they can get in four and five. Well I don't think three and six teams get into the playoffs. Steve Susio no.
Speaker 5: Better than I. But so a very big game for them on Saturday. A lot of good football coming up.
Speaker 3: Really looking forward to it, a lot of good stuff coming up on Friday Night Drive.
Speaker 5: I'm going to be back here.
Speaker 3: On Wednesday with Steve Susie's you break down some of the top games from around the state.
Speaker 5: JT.
Speaker 3: Penalty and Eddie Griffiel will be here on Thursday. I'm not quite sure what they call their podcast. I think it's South and West. Whatever it is, it's very entertaining. You definitely want to check it out. And then Steve Susie and Matt Rodewall will be back here on Friday night with the Friday Night Drive live stream from nine to thirty pm to eleven pm. So a lot of great stuff come up on Friday Night Drive. We have all of our previews coming in the next two days, and then of course coverage over the weekend. So yeah, a lot of great stuff. And Joel, I'm very much looking forward to next week being back here and having you talk about it. Batavia Saint Charles North game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, and I'm going to be really excited to be out there on Friday just kind of watch it and see everything from my own eyes and hopefully watch a very fun game.
Speaker 3: Should be a lot of fun. Thanks again everybody for joining us again for we leave. This is Josh Wellge with Joe Bennett's and you all have a very happy Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Be the Hass clothing brand based right here in Chicago, Land that specializes in custom apparel. So if you need your logo on team apparel, hoss co is the place to go. Visit Bethehass dot com and use code Friday Night for twenty percent off your order.
Speaker 4: They have it all.
Speaker 3: Do you ever wonder where the profits go when you shop at a big box store? Hi, this is Patty from Oliver's Corner Market. When you shop at Oliver's you can rest assured that the profits stay local, supporting other local businesses and charities. Find us at the corner Britton and Bradshaw and Dixon