Speaker 1: Deadline has this to say about the weather forecast today. We'll be mostly cloudy made us an afternoon, scattered storms showing up high seventy seven as storms. They say, we'll leave the area around six pm tonight, partly CLOUDI in sixty two for the low eighty four to the high tomorrow with partly cloudy skies sixty eight overnight with a slight risk of some storms, and on Friday, chance of rain remains. I have eighty five right now, sixty one degrees In time for traffic update.
Speaker 2: From the UC of Traffic Central.
Speaker 3: You see health hands expert traumacare focusing on prevention, treating injuries, and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation Marnmur. You see how dot Com highways continue to build. Stop pound seventy five, add an extra five in and out of Blackham, getting close to that. Northbound seventy five between Buttermilk and Kyles. Southbound two seventy five continues slow thanks to the construction on the bridge and westbound two seventy five heavy out of Milford to Loveland shock ing Ver month fifty five care see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty here fifty five KRCD talk station. Happy Wednesday. Always look forward to talking to Donovan and Neil from Americans for Prosperity. Donovan, Welcome back to the fifty five KRC Morning Show. It's good to have you on as always, Brian, always a pleasure to be with you midweek. I'm gonna struggle with this one a little, just a little bit. My libertarian philosophy and principles agrees with you wholeheartedly on your support for House Bill one oh nine and Center Bill one o four, which you'll explain to my listeners here momentarily. But you know, I live in a neighborhood and I would be really unhappy if one of my neighbors started renting out their home on a regular basis to as an airbnb, the guests coming in and out and flowing in and out. I know some neighborhoods have had problems. The guests quite often can be disrespectful. Maybe they're on vacation, they're in a party atmosphere, so on a Tuesday night at midnight, they're out in the backyard drinking beer with music going on, that kind of thing, And some neighborhoods say, you know, no, that's not what we are looking for in our neighborhood. So you got your neighborhood collectives sitting down and creating rules. Mean you've got a homeowners association, and so they try to ban these things from happening. But that limits the freedom of a property owner to see to do what with their property what they see fit. So I'm kind of struggling with the balance of these things. What specifically does house built one O nine and center built on one of four propose for the entire state of Ohio in terms of this this this short term rental market, Donovan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, And the concerns you shared to Brian are what a lot of folks, legislators, folks around Caps Square here frequently get it. What this legislation would do though, is well, we'll back up one thing the state does well when we talk about regulations and red takes. I've been on your show and we talk about that a lot. Yeah, we talk about regulations. One thing the state of Ohio where states in general can do well and where their proper role in serving regulations exist is creating a clear, sise framework for how an industry can operate. And so when we look at the short term rental industry. One of the things that the state has failed to do in recent years is airbnbs or verbos have emerged, is create a clear framework that these can exist within. And so what you've ended up with is where we are today, where you have a patchwork quilt of different rules and regulations depending on the city, community or locality, with different seas, different zoning requirements. And so when an individual wants to exert their very simple constitutional right of using their property as they wish, in this case renting it out through a platform like Airbnb, this legislation would make it clear that in the state of Ohio you can do that, and here are the handful of rules and requirements that have to be put into place in order to do that, while protecting individual property owners from local governments subdivisions that might say, hey, we're going to create an exorbitant fee. We may not be able to ban it out right going and create an exorbitant fee sentem one oh nine. This legislation from Sander Brenner would keep local political subdivisions from being able to do that. When it comes to the concerns around new sense or noise right. But what we point to is those laws already exist on the books and creating new exorbitant fees or red tape or more regulations or o outright telling an individual what they can and can't do with their own property. We think folks need to enforce those existing laws that already are on the books to address when those situations arise.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I guess someone's out there making the argument. Well, you know, it's like we always we favor local government because one size doesn't fit all. I hate to being told what to do by people in DC who have no connection with my local community. City Council's City of Cincinnati impose the Connected Communities these zoning rules on all of the neighborhoods in the City of Cincinnati in spite of the fact that some of those neighborhoods didn't want it.
Speaker 2: Some did.
Speaker 1: They imposed their will on Hyde Park in terms of zoning by allowing a variance from the Connected Communities program, in spite of the fact that the will of the citizen there was to say no to that. So, you know, local control is I think favored by most people, and so that your township is different from the other township. If you don't like it, maybe vote those town those trustees out of office and put it in a new batch of trustees, or if your neighborhood homeowners association, you know, reflects the will of the neighborhood, at least it's supposed to, that's what the neighborhood wants. So I struggle with that just you know, conceptually, what is the extent or to what degree does house built one to nine centeble want to four control that kind of thing. So let's let's talk about, you know, the specifics of it, the general terms and conditions that are going to be in place in Ohio.
Speaker 2: These passed.
Speaker 1: We'll bring Donovan O'Neil for Americans for Prosperity back to talk about that. After I mentioned the Chimney Care fireplace to stow, you got a would burning fireplace take advantage of the spring special going on right now for only one hundred and sixty nine dollars and ninety nine cents plus tax. Of course, the Chimney Care Fireplace is still will come out thoroughly inspector your chimney to do a video camera inspection. You got a certified chimney sweep that'll sweep it. Everything will be safe and ready for you to hit the ground running when the cold temperatures come back. It's a great thing to do. You don't want a chimney fire, and that's what happens when you had a kreosop build up from the wood burners. Uh So, if you have a stove or a fireplace that's woodburning, it's a great time to get it taken care of when you're not using it. Of course, everyone can benefit from a free exterior evaluation. Got a chimney, have it evaluated. They'll come out to your place for free and make sure you don't have any water damage issues going on which you could be experiencing right now and not even know about it. Of course that comes included with woodburning sweep and evaluation, but for non wood burners you still could have problems. Take advantage. It's free. Schedule the appointment a plus with the BBB locally owned and operated since nineteen eighty eight. The number is five one three two four eight ninety six hundred five one three two four eight ninety six. Online you'll find at Chimneycareco dot Com.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC Channel Night says this about the weather.
Speaker 1: Pattiskys today for the most part Scattered storms are possible this afternoon.
Speaker 2: They'll be out of the area by six pm.
Speaker 1: According to Channel nine, seventy seven is going to be your highday with an overnight lit of sixty two partly Totti skys Tomorrow eighty four for the high down to sixty eight overnight with the risk of storm and on Friday still a chance rain. I have eighty five sixty one right now. Traffic time from the UCL Tramphic Center. You See Health Hands Expert traumacare focusing on prevention, treating injuries, and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation.
Speaker 3: Learn more at you see health dot com. North Bend seventy five break lights out of Burrow Linger into the Cut and slow out of Saint Bernard to an accident in town Street that's on the right hand side. Southbound seventy five slows through Lachland southbound seventy one slow fields Rble the Fifer schuck Ingram on fifty five krc deed Talks facial.
Speaker 1: Head seven thirty nine, fifty five KRCD Talk Station, Happy Wednesday to you, Part Thomas with Americans for Prosperities, don On and Neo going through the uh oh, the pros and cons of that. Pardon me, Donovan and my listening audience. I'll spill one nine cent one four designed to limit the ability well to free up more like the ability to provide you with the opportunity of short term rental Airbnb kind of concept now, and I get your argument. So moving aside in a way from the whys and the wherefores whether local is better than a whole one size fits all approach for the state of Ohio. To what extent do these bills control short term rentals? What, what are the specifics on it? And how much flexibility do they continue to allow for local communities to control some aspect of short term rentals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what it would do is it would prohit what would preempt local governments from outright prohibiting short term rentals.
Speaker 5: So folks would be able.
Speaker 4: To here in the state of Ohio go on a platform like Airbnb or Verbo and list their property or a room within their property for guests who want to visit and have that local experience. It would it would preempt folks. One of the ways local governments have done this in other states have created.
Speaker 5: A lottery system.
Speaker 4: So it says only a certain number of people each year can list their property. It would say, no, you can't. You can't come up with a creative lottery mechanism to prohibit these, You can't use zoning laws. You can't restrict the number of units. One of the things we find, and you look at some of the testimony, dozens of pieces of testimony, there are a few folks in there who talk about how they've taken a few different dilapidated properties, they've invested in them and built their own small local business right providing short term rentals in communities around Ohio. And so say you can't, you can't limit the amount of you know, operties that.
Speaker 5: Someone can have in that way.
Speaker 4: And it also will cap the licensing fee to catch and what I think makes sense for local and state government here is one of the problems that exists is it's not clear who's responsible for collecting the taxes on these right and so what it would require is that if they're going to the state, sort of the bargain here I think, if you will, is that the state's going to create this clear regulatory framework that these short term rentals can exist. The responsibility is going to be on the platform to make sure they collect the taxes that the state has for lodging, right.
Speaker 5: And so what this will do is it.
Speaker 4: Will help while creating a clear and concise framework. It will also help generate revenue where right now, because of the patchwork nature of this industry in the state of Ohio, it's unclear who's responsible and oftentimes those tax revenues go uncollected.
Speaker 5: So this will help.
Speaker 4: Not creating new taxes, is right, Brian, but just saying, hey, the airbnb and burbos of the world have to collect those taxes when they book these properties on behalf of the hosts, okay, And so it helps generate tax revenue while also creating a standard across the state of Ohio for this industry to exist.
Speaker 1: All right, So it would be an analogous to Amazon collecting whatever local tax applies when you make a purchase.
Speaker 5: That's a great way to look at it, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I can understand that because the taxes are there, it's a law that you have to pay them. Quite often people don't do it, you know, But isn't it also it's income to the home owner when they get rental from an airbnb, so that is also income tax that they would have to report, yes.
Speaker 4: And that I think we continue to remain on the home owner and however they're set up and operating and their relationship with their state, local, and federal tax tax agent.
Speaker 1: So are there any restrictions that would be allowed here? I mean it sounds to me like it would be unlimited in nature here. So anybody who owns property could go to Airbnb and put their house on there and rented, period, end of story.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's the idea, right, This is something that exists long before even the finding of our country, right, Brian, is, folks, before you had the Marriott's and the holiday Ends and the Hyatts of the world, people would create INDs, right, or they would provide portions of their.
Speaker 5: Housing to travelers.
Speaker 4: And what we're finding, right is, rather than having you know, folks just listing on a Craigslist or somebody knowing somebody like you would in the olden days, you have a safe platform like Airbnb where folks can go and there are rules.
Speaker 5: To be a host and to be a renter on that.
Speaker 4: Platform, right, And then individuals know that when they're doing that transaction, they're protected and part of that airbn be network. And so I think where our opponents come down on this in a lot of ways is they just don't like what people do in their own backyard.
Speaker 5: Right It's a an enbiasm argument. But at the end of the.
Speaker 4: Day, you know, if you're invested in a property and you're you've taken it from being a dilapidated property in a very nice you know what used to be a really nice part of town, and you're trying to bring that, make it up and coming. That's where these airbnbs often occur. They invest in their how this property, and they want to use that property to get some return on that investment by listing gone an airbnb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I hear all that, and I understand that. But you know, it's like when you buy any given neighborhood, if there exists a homeowners association, you're going in eyes wide open, and to own a home there. You are part of the homeowners association, You're obligated to pay a Homelewan's Association fee, and you're subject to whatever rules the homeowners association has in place. Much in the same way, if you buy in any given neighborhood, you are subject to zoning restrictions, and there may be restrictions on the type of architecturals style you can have, like in the City of Cincinnati, apparently from going forward basis. So, I mean, I just I wonder where the line is, where's that? Where is that that where we approve of these type of restrictions whatever they may be in some areas, but we don't in others.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not sure that's a good question on the homeowners Association. I'll have to check with Senator Brenner on that and get back to you around that if you want to follow up there, because I think so, I'm not sure how it deals with some of those I know, the largest concern that comes from folks, right is noise, safety and nuisance concerns those right, It.
Speaker 5: Does not preempt those, right.
Speaker 4: So if you've got someone out there at midnight blast in music or jumping off of the second floor like it's a National Lampoon's movie, right, we're not that that's still illegal. That's still something that you know, right, the local municipality can can oversee you.
Speaker 1: Right, But I think part of the neighborhood usually don't have that going on. Your neighborhood becau if you're living there, you're not likely to engage in that kind of activity because you're in the pissing off your neighbors and you make a bad neighbor and then you're that guy. So this sort of relationship effect, and I know someone out there is going, yeah, well you should hear my neighbor. We deal with them all the time, and I know there's always people like that, and you can call the cops on them, but there's a certain element of that sort of the neighborhood feel, the fact that you're always going to be living next to that person, so you're not likely to engage in that kind of activity. That's not the case with renters. They don't care who lives next door. I'm here, I'm paying for it, I'm going to do whatever the hell I want. So it just increases the likelihood that that that that happening.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, well, I think that's I mean, I think that's a risk that comes with this, But I think the larger argument of defending defending somebody's ability to have their property and do what they wish with their property outweighs that potential.
Speaker 5: Albeit I'm sure everyone.
Speaker 4: Has a story where they could point to Yeah. At the end of the day, though, we have the right to life, liberty and property. Right. Yeah, life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. And that's what this legislation does, is it descends that right for you or I are one of our neighbors to rent our property out and do so in a safe, regulated environment where we can have the confidence of being able to do that and not being preempted by a local city council member who just doesn't like this industry fair enough.
Speaker 1: It just it raises some interesting, you know, worthy of exchange topics. Normally you and I are on exactly the same page. I'm just throwing out these, uh this sort of against my natural inclination to be completely on board with you. Just the practical realities of having a neighbor that is constantly renting their house out to strangers every single day, and I know that poses some some challenges for folks along my my lines, which really do believe in my right to do with my property what I what I believe to do, what I'm entitled to do.
Speaker 2: House Bill one cent up Bill one oh four.
Speaker 1: You can feel free to get in touch with your elected official to get it out of committee and get it up for a vote. Is there a website you want to refer our listeners to Donovan? There always is. People can get engaged by going to Buckeye Blueprint dot com. There you are Fuckey Blueprint dot Com. Donovan love the conversation as always, keep up the great work at American Americans for Prosperity and folks get hooked up with Buckeye Blueprint dot Com.
Speaker 2: We'll talk again soon, Donovan. Great to have you back.
Speaker 1: One fifty five k se DE talk station. The only guy I would ever call, the only team I would ever call. If I want to buy or sell a house, need a real estate agent, buyer's agent, seller's agent. Sabri Group, Keller Williams Seven Hills, Peter Shabree and his team number one real estate group in the city in Greater CINCINNTI area. Their mission is to provide you with a five star experience and they will. I am certain that they will deliver on that five star experience. INSTI an offer. Don't want to show the house, call a Sabri Group, but then forty eight hours of them SENI your home. You will have a cash offer from the Schabree group. Don't have to pay the walls, don't have to even mow the load. Just get out of town. It's easy to do. You can close within three weeks. Love it or leave it. Your a buyer's agent. They find you home and you find out within the first year you made a big mistake. I hate this place, or for whatever reason you don't like it, you want to move again. They'll sell it for free. That's a love it or leader guarantee. They can help you make a cash offer the cash the Keys program that'll help you win in a bidding situation, maybe even with better terms with a cash offer. Sellers love cash offer and then yay for Peter Scherbrie Kellowiam, seven Hills and the team. The Patriot Home program developed by veterans to help patriots buy and sell their homes. Ten percent of the commission goes right back to you as the rebated closing. If you're a veteran work for the VA Police fire Ems, salute to them for doing that. One seven zero eight three thousand dot com seven zero eight three thousand dot com. The number of course is five one three seven zero eight three thousand, fifty five KRC.
Speaker 2: This is Jeff for Tri State Men's Health. We're ourrectile