Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, and for this week of November eleventh, we're continuing with Lost season one, episode nineteen Dios ex Machina.
Speaker 2: It's a little heavy handed with the episode.
Speaker 1: Title, yeah is it ever? And what a bummer of an episode? O man, there is. The only fun here is Sawyer needing glasses if that's your comic relief. And by the way, not having glasses when you need it is very uncomfortable, and we shouldn't make fun of people who wear glasses. And also does Jack just have like a backpack full of dead people's glasses? He did? That's a little creepy, I gotta tell you. And the whole better or worse, better or worse was given me like horrible optometriyahacks, I never do that, right, you know? Is that they look the same, I don't know. And then when my glasses are perfect, it's like I knew I was giving the wrong hand. That was supposed to be the comic relief. Still a little traumatic, but not quite like having somebody can you out of it? Yeah, man? Or you know, falling in a plane.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also you know, having been mister jungleman because suddenly you have the use of your legs and now you.
Speaker 2: Don't, and now you don't, but then you do again when you have to carry boone injured.
Speaker 1: And also Susie Kurtz, Yes, glad to see a honey. Really this is the part they give you. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nice to see.
Speaker 1: You there for you know, a minute and a half.
Speaker 2: So this episode obviously is a lock flashback, and it's here we hear about Locke's bad dad and Daddy issues.
Speaker 1: Yes, real bad. Giving Christian Shepherd a run for his money and dad is not an easy thing to do.
Speaker 2: Not easy. Yeah, so do we? I mean it was he really is his dad, right? I mean, are we supposed to think that he's just some kind of a scammer who's.
Speaker 1: Identified cannot remember? It does seem to open, to leave open that possibility that he's just a scammer. And by the way, we've had stories about scammers before file this away. Yeah, I don't know, but either way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a good dude, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: And my condolence is too poor. Guard Gate guy. Yeah, man, I don't think he's paying you enough. I bet you could get a better job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep. I wonder if he knew all along.
Speaker 1: I bet he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe he did.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's a jerk also, but still, yeah, let's just assume he's a nice guy who needs a paychecker, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was pretty brutal.
Speaker 2: It was rough, And.
Speaker 1: That actor Kevin Tigue is good at playing.
Speaker 2: That's sort of my Weasley guy like that who makes you think he's your best buddy.
Speaker 1: Your bunny while he's stabbing you in the bag literally, like you do not trust that dude, I mean, Locke fell for it real fast.
Speaker 2: We don't we don't know the timeline of it, but like, where was this guy all his life? Yes, you know, I guess he said he said he didn't think he was born or whatever, but.
Speaker 1: Well, no, he has been in foster care. I don't think he knew anything about but I mean the dad like dad said, yeah, we didn't know that he existed.
Speaker 2: Right, because otherwise it's like, oh, you're so nice to me now, like yes, where what? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Anyway, Yeah, every time we have a lock flashback, we learn more and more about what an incredible sad sack this dude is, right, just what a what a sad sad life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know he.
Speaker 1: Got his little his little burst of glory there on the island, and now it looks like that's fading.
Speaker 2: Right. So although we did have at the end the hatch was responding to him, that's true. He kept insisting that the island would tell him what he needed to do, and it seems I mean, I definitely don't feel like anything good is going to come out of that container. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was a that was an interesting ending, and we'll give him hope. I guess. I guess, yeah, whether it should Yeah, yeah, poor Boone. And I think I'm going to say preemptively poor Charlie, because yeah, that's what we found.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we found a whole bunch of heroine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody tell Charlie.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so they and we learn a little a little more boone backstory about how he basically killed his nanny.
Speaker 1: But blames himself for it anyway.
Speaker 2: By running her ragged up and down the stairs just to be a little jerk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things do not look good for Boone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you're inside of a wrecked plane that's up on a cliff and then it falls off the cliff with you inside, that's Oh. And let's not forget he found a couple of dead bodies along the way, one or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was well, there was one that fell out of the tree.
Speaker 2: Right, but was there one in the planet? Was the one in the plane?
Speaker 1: I don't remember. If there was one on the plane, there might have been always a good omen. Yeah let's pick around dead people. But yikes. I mean I think at the point at which the dead body fell out of the trap, I would be like, see you back at Camp Lock. Good luck to you.
Speaker 2: I'm out of here.
Speaker 1: But uh oh boon, I think you may have thrown in with the wrong island dude. You could have you could have been toting a bag of glasses for Jack instead.
Speaker 2: You could have been soldering them together to make like bifocals or something.
Speaker 1: You could have been building a raft sun. You had so many options, so.
Speaker 2: Many other things you could have been doing, making a crib that now they need, you know, they need a high chair, they need a stroller, like, so much to do. Somebody could get.
Speaker 1: Busy things doing other than follow the crazy man into the jungle. But still you're loyal, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, we Locke was being the island papa to uh to be.
Speaker 1: You know, it was like we see the story of Locke's bad, bad dad bad, but then you know what, Locke was being a pretty bad dad too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If Locke is a dad figure to Boone, and surely he is, he was not taking care of that boy. No, he was driving him on to do things that were not going to work out well. Right, And you know, if the dream was any sort of premonition, they want to just leap him back at the camp from now on. Yeah, So yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Because and the dream that Locke had Boone was like all bloody and yes, you know he he didn't.
Speaker 1: Look good, No, he didn't. So yeah, a lot of bad daddy going around. And I mean even Jack had to be kind of an asshole to Sawyer before he help him out, which yeah, I mean dads can do that. That's kind of a dad thing. But still right, really, just give the man his glasses, he's come to you in a moment of vulnerability. Give the man his classes.
Speaker 2: He's come to you because Kate dragged him there. But still.
Speaker 1: He's admitting to a weakness. Well, yes, it wasn't. It wasn't a real good day for Dad's Island. And otherwise is it such a theme of this show is like, you know, bad parenting all around, and in addition to all the bad dads parenting wise, when Nah Locke's newfound mom says you're special, like yeah, there's great things to come. Yeah, oh, don't ever do that to your kid, right, you can believe it. We all should believe our kids are special and that they're gonna gonna have great lives. But don't be dumping that on them.
Speaker 2: Yikes. Yeah, that's already been the case, for Walt and for Claire's baby.
Speaker 1: So nothing good can come of that of this show anyway. Yeah, and now, of course he feels the Island is talking to him and that he was brought here for a purpose, and that you know, he's meant to do something. And oh, don't put that in the kid's head. Don't put this in an adult's head. Don't put this in anybody's head. Right, we're all special. That does not mean it does not mean that Island's talked to was.
Speaker 2: Yikes. And also a block is now in possession of a weapon that he took off that body, so I could possibly go wrong another weapon, I should say. He's got plenty of knives already. Now he's got a gun. I don't think it has any bullets in it, but that shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Sounds Wave it around though and scare somebody, right.
Speaker 2: Plus, you know, he probably can figure out some way to make a bullet out of a coconut or whatever.
Speaker 1: He is. He can make glue, he could probably make bullets. Maybe there's some in the plane. Yeah, with the heroin, I had forgotten about the heroine, oh.
Speaker 2: Man inside all of the all of the.
Speaker 1: Religious icon, right, and you know, in addition to the comedy of Jack just having a bag of dead people's glasses. What a surgeon, That's what he is, basically is a surgeon. What a first surgeon? Also just know how to test eyes? Do you go about all the eye diseases? Yes, I mean I guess I would know to test people's eyesight by saying better, worse, worse, But then I wouldn't know what to do with that information.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And how do you know, like the glasses, Yeah, I mean he was he was testing them with, But how did he know, like, okay, on the right eye it's yeah. I mean, they didn't show him having one eye covered and then the other eye like it takes. It's probably.
Speaker 1: School and then I switched to surgery, so I have all this knowledge. I mean, basically he could just say, hey, here's a bag of glasses we collected, see if any of them try walked away by them all just the fact that he was apparently doing something doctor Leah.
Speaker 2: Well, they also did show him shaving, so I guess now we know that sometimes people shave. I mean, obviously there's way too much facial hair in place for them to not be shaving.
Speaker 1: But somebody went through all the detritus of the plane crash, of all the multiple sites and divviyat stuff up. Okay, here's the toilet trees, here's the conditioner and the shampoo. Yeah, we got a shaving supplies. Here are the eyeglasses, you know? And so is there like a little island Walgreens that they've set up so that they can just come and get their Sundrys when needed.
Speaker 2: It sure looks like it.
Speaker 1: I thought that that Sawyer had just torted everything. But here's that things are just being freely used and given somebody. That would be a great flatshback and episode, just when they're trying to mark time to finish out a season of some previously unseen castaway just being in charge of all the the the small items of daily living. It's got some shelves set up in.
Speaker 2: A cave.
Speaker 1: Aditioner arranged by brand and scent and type of hair shampoo. Probably some well we need electricity to you as a blow dryer, but you know there might have been some home perm solutions there. Shaving and what is it that you need today, sir? Oh, let me get that you need something? Need the eyeglasses? Jack, I have them sorted out right here? You say he needs help reading? Okay, these are the reading quasses. Hmmm that I want to see that series. Yeah so he said, always said, this is just gonna be about surviving, surviving how one goes about that. We need to process the episode somewhere along the way without all the human drama.
Speaker 2: Come on, but this was not it.
Speaker 1: This was Oh, bad dads, bad dads everywhere, watch this show and do exactly the opposite.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And and also, if you're gonna, if you're gonna get your kid nanny, put his bedroom on the first floor. Come on, How hard is this? Why are you making the nanny run upstairs so you have a big house? Gay for you? Put them on the couch. Panting advice to your people who don't want your kid to be super messed up?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, too late for Boone.
Speaker 1: Too late for Boone, too late for Luck.
Speaker 2: Too late for pretty much anybody on this show. It's even probably too late for the kid who's not even born yet.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. Too late for others yet unseen. Yeah so, and not the others, but just others, yeah, not those others, other others, all sorts of others. Yes, multiple groups. Anyway, next Tuesday, we'll continue with season one, episode twenty of Lost Do No Harm, which of course would be a Jack episode, and we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss shrinking. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've done talked about over the years. MHM.