Speaker 1: Mar there is Maxwell House, really the only coffee.
Speaker 2: In the world where your father says so, and your father knows best.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's father knows best.
Speaker 4: Transcribed in Hollywood, starring Robert Young his father A half hour visit with your neighbors, The Anderson brought to you by America's favorite coffee, Maxwell House, the coffee that's always good to the last drop. Since the dark beginnings of time, superstition has played a dismal part in the fumbling progress of man. We, however, live in an enlightened age, and thank good we've thrown off.
Speaker 5: The yoke of ignorant superstition.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, knocking on wood.
Speaker 3: Isn't really a superstition. You do it just because.
Speaker 4: Well, anyway, in Springfield, in the white frame house on Maple Street, we find Jim Anderson packing for a trip to Chicago, and for a change, everything is peaceful and quiet like this.
Speaker 2: Jim, it certainly won't hurt to take.
Speaker 5: Them along, Margaret, I'm only going to be gone three days.
Speaker 6: How many pairs of socks do you think I can wear?
Speaker 2: Well, you never can tell, dear, and it's best to be on the safe side.
Speaker 5: Twelve pairs of socks anybody think I was going to Alaska for the entire winter, Jim.
Speaker 2: They weigh practically nothing, and I certainly all.
Speaker 5: Right, all right, put them in. I don't have enough socks for everybody at the whole convention.
Speaker 2: Dad, we're upstairs, bud, Jim, you don't need all those shirts?
Speaker 6: What do you mean all those shirts? I'm only taking six.
Speaker 2: But you'll only be away three days, you said so yourself.
Speaker 5: Well, honey, I've got to look neat all the big shots from the Home Office will be there.
Speaker 2: I think three shirts are quite enough. You just have to be a little careful, that's all.
Speaker 5: Okay, three shirts, fine thing.
Speaker 6: A man can't even pack the bag away he wants to stay.
Speaker 7: Dad, can I talk to you for a minute about what?
Speaker 6: Well, handkerchiefs. Mustn't forget handkerchiefs.
Speaker 2: I've already put them in there.
Speaker 6: Oh, thank you? Well, what is it, buddy?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 7: Could I have three dollars?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: What happened to that bottle opener I had in the top drawer, Jim.
Speaker 2: If it's going to be that kind of convention, it.
Speaker 5: Isn't, Margaret, But I just thought, well, never mind, Dad, But I said, no.
Speaker 7: I know, Dad, But this is an emergency.
Speaker 6: What kind of an emergency?
Speaker 7: The worst kind?
Speaker 6: I've never known you to have any other. Why do you need three dollars?
Speaker 8: Well, it's for the baseball team. I need another bat.
Speaker 5: You mean you've broken the old one already?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 8: But well I I think I've used up all the hits.
Speaker 6: You what?
Speaker 8: I'm in an awful sump? Dad, I haven't had a hit in two weeks. And if I can just buy a beat with some hits in it, that's.
Speaker 5: The most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life. You've got a perfectly good bat. Why weighte three dollars on another one?
Speaker 7: But Dad, I've got to do something to change my luck.
Speaker 5: Luck superstitious twaddle. If you can't get a hit with the old bat, you won't get one with a new one, either, But articularly if I have to pay.
Speaker 6: For it, Well, I guess I'm all packed.
Speaker 2: You haven't forgotten anything, have you, Dear?
Speaker 6: I don't think so. But how about taking the bag downstairs like a good fellow.
Speaker 8: Okay, but look, Dad, we're playing a very important game this afternoon.
Speaker 2: In just a moment, Bud, what is it? Kathy?
Speaker 1: I don't care what she says?
Speaker 6: You can't go.
Speaker 5: Mother.
Speaker 1: Betty says I can't go to the club with her this afternoon, and you said I could.
Speaker 2: I said I'd ask her, dear mother.
Speaker 9: It's bad enough going out with a boy I don't even know, but if I have.
Speaker 1: To drag her along, they're gonna play tennis and I want to.
Speaker 6: Watch, Kathy.
Speaker 5: If Betty says you can't go, then you can't go, and I'll stop arguing.
Speaker 1: You love her more than you love me. That's why you're always sticking.
Speaker 5: Up for I'm not sticking up for anybody. You can watch Bud play baseball.
Speaker 8: No, what, holy cow, Dad, you don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 6: Oh, I don't, huh.
Speaker 7: She's worse on a black cat. She's worse on an umpire.
Speaker 6: Now listen, Bud. There's no reason but dead.
Speaker 7: You've never heard her. She sounds like a fire siren. She gets both teams rattled.
Speaker 1: Hmm, a bunch of sandlodders.
Speaker 2: It's all right, Kathy, you can stay home with me this afternoon.
Speaker 1: But I want to do something.
Speaker 2: We'll find something to do.
Speaker 6: How about the beast?
Speaker 8: But okay? Not having enough trouble. They want me to take her all.
Speaker 6: Father, What is it.
Speaker 9: Betty is mister Davis's nephew, tall and dark?
Speaker 6: How do I know?
Speaker 5: I've never even seen him? What difference does it make anyway?
Speaker 9: Well, Janie Liggott told my fortune yesterday and the cards said to be careful of a tall dark man.
Speaker 1: And if he's tall and dark.
Speaker 5: Betty, if he's eight feet tall and has hair made of licorice, you're still going out with him.
Speaker 6: He's only going to be in town this weekend.
Speaker 5: And I gave it Davis my word father, idiotic thing I've ever heard in my life, just because Janie Liggott hasn't got a brain in her head.
Speaker 9: It wasn't Janie's idea of father. She has a fortune telling set and it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: It costs four dollars.
Speaker 6: Oh, pardon me.
Speaker 5: I thought it was one of the cheap two dollars sets.
Speaker 2: Jim. I know you're going to say it silly, but I did have a dream about a wedding.
Speaker 6: Last night, Margaret, not you too.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: You remember my grandmother Williams.
Speaker 6: It's a hot and todd kid, Jim.
Speaker 2: Grandmother Williams was a very sweet woman, and she said, when you dream of a wedding, it means trouble.
Speaker 6: Well, that depends on who's getting married.
Speaker 2: Jim.
Speaker 5: You certainly don't believe in that poppy cock.
Speaker 10: Do you.
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: No, But if Betty's going to feel uneasy.
Speaker 6: Feel uneasy about what?
Speaker 5: Since when is a dream something to be afraid of.
Speaker 1: I'm not afraid of dreams.
Speaker 5: Batty nine years old, and she's the only intelligent one in the whole house.
Speaker 6: You're a very sensible little girl, Kathy.
Speaker 1: I'm not afraid of anything because I've got a lucky penny and a rabbit's foot and a horseshoe and Margaret.
Speaker 5: What's gotten into this family anyway? These aren't the Middle Ages. This is the twentieth century. We're supposed to be intelligent human beings.
Speaker 2: Jim. It's not that we believe in these things.
Speaker 5: And what does it mean all this twaddle about dreams and fortune tellers and bats with hits in them?
Speaker 6: You sound like a bunch of stone simpletons.
Speaker 2: Why father, now, just a moment, Jim Anderson, you have just as many silly little superstitions as anyone else.
Speaker 6: I certainly do not.
Speaker 2: You most certainly do, Kathy.
Speaker 6: Yes, Daddy, go downstairs and help Bud.
Speaker 1: What's he doing?
Speaker 6: Do I know what he's doing?
Speaker 5: Go downstairs and find out and help him. Jee Wills, Now see here, Margaret.
Speaker 2: Yes, in my time, I've.
Speaker 5: Walked under hundreds of letters, broken, thousands of mirrors, ignored, millions of black cats. And if you can call that being superstitious.
Speaker 9: I'll bet that's Charlie. Who Charlie Davis and father? If he's tall and dark?
Speaker 6: Betty, what father Janie says?
Speaker 5: I don't care what Janie said. You are going out with Charlie Davis.
Speaker 2: Oh pooh, Betty for you, she'd be right down, bud, Go ahead, Betty.
Speaker 9: If this is a twentieth century, why do I have to be treated like somebody's slave.
Speaker 6: I don't know what's gotten inn of that curl.
Speaker 2: What are you looking for?
Speaker 10: Dear?
Speaker 6: My gray hat was right up here on the shelf.
Speaker 2: It's downstairs in the hall closet.
Speaker 6: I mean my old gray hat, the one I always wear a convention, Jim.
Speaker 2: It was all worn. Oh, it was dirty and the ribbon was faded.
Speaker 5: Margaret, What did you do with my hat?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 2: I gave it to mister Adams.
Speaker 6: Mister you mean the junk man.
Speaker 2: Yes, dear, you gave my.
Speaker 3: Hat to the junk man.
Speaker 2: Jim, you have a brand new hat, Margaret, How could you do a thing like that to me?
Speaker 6: That was my luck? I mean, how could you?
Speaker 5: But you said, I've worn that hat to conventions for fifteen years.
Speaker 6: You know I never go to a convention without it. What were you thinking of?
Speaker 5: Father?
Speaker 9: He is tall and he's got the blackest hair you ever saw. I won't go with it, and you can't make me.
Speaker 6: Oh, I can't, can't I Betty Anderson.
Speaker 5: You'll go out with that boy or you'll never go out again. Good Father, There enough trouble give a man's hat away at a time.
Speaker 6: Like this, Betty.
Speaker 2: After all, your father knows best, and if he's.
Speaker 9: All right, I'll go. But if anything happens to me, you'll have no one to blame it yourself.
Speaker 2: Betty, your father's going away, aren't you going to say goodbye?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 10: Goodbye?
Speaker 1: And I hope you have a very nice time.
Speaker 6: Most ridiculous thing.
Speaker 5: I've ever heard of, perfectly good hat sitting up on a shelf, not hurting a soul.
Speaker 2: Jim, you said you weren't superstitious.
Speaker 6: Superstitious? What a superstition got to do with it? I like that hat. It was the best hat.
Speaker 5: I've ever had, but it was all worn out. It was a perfect hat for going to conventions.
Speaker 6: And you know it, Bud.
Speaker 2: Jim, do you want me.
Speaker 6: To get mister Adams on the phone.
Speaker 5: Oh, mister Adams.
Speaker 7: The junk man.
Speaker 6: Tell him I want my gray hat back.
Speaker 5: It's in the closet, dead, my old gray hat. Tell him I'll give him five dollars for it, But that hat, Bud.
Speaker 2: Okay, Dad, Jim, you're being very foolish about this whole thing.
Speaker 6: Oh I am am.
Speaker 5: I just because I have a lucky just because I happen to like a certain hat, I'm being foolish.
Speaker 2: That's fine, Jim. Your train leaves in less than an hour, Well.
Speaker 6: Let it leave. I'll take a plane. I'll walk.
Speaker 5: But until mister Adams comes back with my hat, I'm not going to What is it, Kathy.
Speaker 1: Mister Jalis is here?
Speaker 6: No, what does he want? I'll be right down. Ed. Take your time, Jim.
Speaker 2: Norry, Jim, Please don't make a fuss in front of Ed.
Speaker 6: Of course not. You know I've got better sense than that.
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: I guess I've got everything except my hat.
Speaker 2: I don't understand, Jim. After that long speech you made about dreams and fortune.
Speaker 5: Telling, Margaret, my hat has nothing to do with dreams and fortune tellers.
Speaker 6: Isn't the question of superstition or anything like that. I merely want my hat.
Speaker 5: And in the future, will you please leave my things alone?
Speaker 6: Yes, dear, I'm not asking for anything unusual.
Speaker 5: Just don't give my hats to the junk man.
Speaker 2: All right, Dear.
Speaker 5: Jim, I'm sorry to board jan at a time like this, I know you must be kind of busy.
Speaker 6: Well, it's all right.
Speaker 5: How are you crying?
Speaker 6: Margaret? That's fine, Jim.
Speaker 5: I have some property in Chicago, and I wonder if you'll do me a big favor while you're there.
Speaker 6: Sure, n I'll be glad to dad.
Speaker 7: Mister Adams wasn't there.
Speaker 6: That's impossible. He must be.
Speaker 8: There, Okay, but missus Adams said he wasn't. She's going to say she can find.
Speaker 6: Them, Margaret. Now do you see what you've done?
Speaker 2: Jim?
Speaker 6: You said I know what I said.
Speaker 5: But good grief on anything wrong?
Speaker 6: Jim.
Speaker 5: Everything's wrong. We've had nothing but trouble all day. My good hat's gone, the junk man's gone. Betty didn't even want to go out with your nephew just because he's tall and dark.
Speaker 6: You mean, Charlie, have you ever heard anything so ridiculous? Oh, I don't understand.
Speaker 5: Oh, Janie Leggett has some kind of an idiotic sept that tells fortunes.
Speaker 6: And she told Betty well, I understand that part all right. Used to be quite a.
Speaker 5: Hand with a ouiji boid. I don't understand about Charlie. Oh, there's nothing to worry about. Ed she went with him even though he is tall and dark, but he isn't Charlie's sharp, and he has red hair.
Speaker 10: Oh.
Speaker 3: Good news about coffee.
Speaker 4: You've been seeing it in stores everywhere in recent weeks, seeing lower prices on Maxwell House coffee. And the news gets better and better because grocers today are featuring Maxwell House at the lowest prices in months. Yes, you'll find the lowest prices in months on the coffee with that wonderful good.
Speaker 6: To the last drop flavor.
Speaker 4: A welcome occasion for everybody you your grosser, and for us at Maxwell House too. You see, we have one aim with our coffee to bring you the most in flavor and enjoyment every pound you buy, to bring you truly good coffee at the lowest possible price. That's our way of doing business, and seems you folks like it. You've made our Maxwell House Coffee America's favorite brand because you can count on that famous flavor every cup you pour, because you find more flavor for your money back impact in that familiar blue tin, and at today's prices, Maxwell House is more than ever today's coffee. Buy look for it featured these days at the lowest prices in months. Enjoy the coffee that's always good to the last drop, double double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble. It's a far cry from the Witches of Macbeth to the Andersons of Springfield, but not as far as you might think. An hour has passed and the situation has altered only slightly. Bud is out playing baseball, Kathy is out playing well, whatever it is that nine year old girls play. But in the white frame house on Maple Street, the air is charged with nervous tension. Not a word has been heard from Betty and the Andersons, and Ed Davis can do nothing but wait, like this, don't like this, don't like it at all.
Speaker 6: Look Ed, I don't care what you do, but do something. Well, let's try this.
Speaker 8: Hm.
Speaker 6: Let me see now.
Speaker 2: Jim, I don't understand how you can sit there at a time like this and play Canasta.
Speaker 6: Well, what do you want me to do, Margaret.
Speaker 5: We haven't left a stone unturned. We've called all our friends, the club, all the authorities, and they've promised to let us know the second either one of them turns up.
Speaker 2: There must be someone else we can call, like who.
Speaker 5: I'm not even sure calling the police was such a good idea, Jim. You've got to understand my position. After all, Charlie is my nephew and we don't know where he is the idiot. We don't know where Betty is or how the boy with the dark hair got into it. It's very confusing. Whose turn is it? Well, the whole thing is certainly nothing to worry about.
Speaker 6: That's because Janie Leggett is a superstitious little twerp.
Speaker 2: Jim, After all the us you made about your hat, how can you call anyone superstitious?
Speaker 6: My hat has nothing to do with it, and I didn't make a fuss.
Speaker 2: Then why did you miss your train?
Speaker 5: Because I decided to fly and I wanted to find out what happened to Betty.
Speaker 6: That's all, nothing complicated about it, and it has nothing to do with superstition.
Speaker 5: I guarantee that when Betty shows up, there'll be a perfectly logical explanation.
Speaker 6: Of the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you're right.
Speaker 5: Of course, I'm right. Go ahead, Ed, it's your turn. You haven't put down a card? Oh well, just a minute, certainly taking long enough.
Speaker 6: I have a right to think about it, don't I just don't rush me.
Speaker 5: You know, when I was a boy, we lived in an old house on the North Side, and the place was simply crawling with ghosts. Well one day, wait a minute, don't tell me you believe in ghosts.
Speaker 6: Why not? Well, it's ridiculous. Everybody knows there's no such thing. Oh they do, do they? Well, let me tell you, Jim, there wasn't a night went by, did he? I'm sorry? I what are you doing home? Bud? Thought you're going to play baseball?
Speaker 8: Well I started to play, But gosh, Ded, I told you that bat wasn't any good.
Speaker 2: Bud? What on earth happened to your eye?
Speaker 6: God's another shiner? But have you been fighting again?
Speaker 7: I got hit with a baseball.
Speaker 6: That's great. You know, if this keeps up, you're going to have that eye worn out.
Speaker 8: I couldn't help it, Dad, I asked you to let me buy another bat.
Speaker 6: You were hit with a ball. What does a bat have to do with it?
Speaker 8: Well, they took me out a pitter and while I was sitting on the bench, I got hit in the eye.
Speaker 6: There, you see, that's what you get for being superstitious.
Speaker 2: Why aren't you on the train?
Speaker 6: Who said anything about a train?
Speaker 2: Jim? But his only doing the things you taught him.
Speaker 6: I taught him. When did I teach him anything about a bat with no hits in it?
Speaker 2: Well, it amounts to the same thing. Just because you're concerned over a silly old hat.
Speaker 6: I'm not concerned about my hat.
Speaker 5: The hat has nothing to do with it. And Margaret, will you please stop changing the subject?
Speaker 6: Oh no, not again?
Speaker 5: What was that the glazier's delight, Kathy?
Speaker 2: But tell Kathy to come in here, please, Okay, tells me I can't get a new bat, and then blame the whole.
Speaker 8: Thing on me.
Speaker 5: As I was saying, Jim, we had a rocking chair in our living room and every night it went back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. What does that prove, well, it certainly wasn't moving all by itself. You know ed, you certainly have some very peculiar ideas.
Speaker 6: I don't see anything peculiar about him at all.
Speaker 5: And if you weren't so dog on stubborn and stubborn me, you're the one who's being stubborn. I'll show you a dozen books that prove there's no such thing as it goes, And.
Speaker 6: I'll show you two dozen books that prove there are.
Speaker 2: Jim My grandmother William said that when she was a girl.
Speaker 5: Oh there's a great authority for you, A dame who spent half her life running around with hottentots.
Speaker 2: She was a very sweet woman, and you have no right to make fun of her.
Speaker 6: I'm not making fun of her.
Speaker 5: I'm merely trying to tell you that superstition is silly.
Speaker 2: Where did you get that hat?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Nothing? I was just thinking, come on, Willy, well.
Speaker 1: Stop pulling me.
Speaker 10: Why do you.
Speaker 1: Always have to pull me? Kaddy?
Speaker 6: What did you do out there?
Speaker 1: I couldn't help it, daddy, I was trying to make everybody lucky.
Speaker 8: She heaved a horseshoe through the window.
Speaker 5: Oh fine, we just had it fixed.
Speaker 1: But Daddy I was worried about Betty, and they told me if I threw it over my right shoulder.
Speaker 7: Your left shoulder dopey.
Speaker 1: Oh well, no, wonder.
Speaker 6: Kathy, Do you see what you've done?
Speaker 2: She was just trying to be helpful, Dear.
Speaker 6: Sure, and I'm going to be.
Speaker 5: Set back another four dollars and twenty cents.
Speaker 6: For a window.
Speaker 1: But Daddy, they said it was lucky.
Speaker 6: Who said it was lucky?
Speaker 1: The man who fixed the window?
Speaker 5: Look, Kathy, let's examine this thing calmly and with simple logic.
Speaker 6: Why is a horseshoe lucky?
Speaker 1: Well, everybody says it is.
Speaker 5: Horses have millions of them, and are they lucky?
Speaker 1: Some of them?
Speaker 5: Are that idiotic rabbit's foot you carry around? Where's the rabbit it used to belong to? Did it bring him any lucky?
Speaker 1: Well, he was lucky while he had it.
Speaker 5: It didn't keep him getting shot, did it? He had four feet four nice lucky rabbit's feet, He still got shot.
Speaker 1: He must have looked at the moon over the wrong shoulder.
Speaker 5: Now, look, Chaffy, Jim, I'll answered it.
Speaker 2: Dear. If it's Betty, please don't lose your temper.
Speaker 6: Silliest family I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: I think we were living in the Middle Ages, horseshoes and rabbits.
Speaker 6: Deep father, how.
Speaker 1: Could you do this to me?
Speaker 6: How could you get inside? I'll talk to you later, Officer.
Speaker 4: We found her at Crandall's drugstore, mister Anderson. She was having a soda and he.
Speaker 9: Wouldn't even let me finish.
Speaker 6: Oh well, uh, sorry, you have put all this trouble, Officer. I'll see that it doesn't happen again.
Speaker 3: That's okay, We're used to it, Jim.
Speaker 2: Is it Betty?
Speaker 5: Mother?
Speaker 1: Why did you do this to me?
Speaker 9: Having me dragged home by the police and everybody looking at me?
Speaker 2: Darling, we were so worried.
Speaker 6: It's Charlie. What did you do with that rattle brained redhead?
Speaker 3: Did you want the boys? Nobody told me to bring them.
Speaker 6: You mean there were two of them?
Speaker 9: Father, Why didn't you listen to me? I told you I didn't want to go with Tommy.
Speaker 6: You said it was Charlie.
Speaker 9: I didn't say it was Charlie. I said he was tall and dark, and Janie Liggett said I was gonna have trouble.
Speaker 2: But you wouldn't listen.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry I listened in the first place.
Speaker 5: Who is the other boy, Tommy, Tommy.
Speaker 9: Who I don't know, but he's a friend of Charlie's, and Charlie was trying to get a date for him, and he knew he was gonna be late, so he sent Tommy and we met him down.
Speaker 2: At mister Cranell's. And it's all your fault.
Speaker 6: What's my fault?
Speaker 5: If you hadn't started that ridiculous thing about Jennie Liggett and the tall dark man.
Speaker 3: Will you be needing me for anything else? Hm?
Speaker 6: Oh, thank you, officer. I think everything's under control now.
Speaker 4: Well, I wouldn't be so sure. Sounds to me like the whole house is infested with leprechauns. Better leave a bowl of milk out for him tonight, otherwise you have nothing but trouble.
Speaker 6: We'll do just that.
Speaker 5: Now we've got leprechauns, Betty, what happened that idiot nephew of mine?
Speaker 7: Nothing?
Speaker 9: When the policeman came, he and tom he didn't know what to do. So they're having another soda.
Speaker 5: Just wait till I get my hands on that carrot headed numbskull.
Speaker 6: Just wait.
Speaker 2: It wasn't his fault ed. The whole thing was a very unfortunate misunderstanding that song.
Speaker 6: It's more than that.
Speaker 5: It's a perfect example of what I've been trying to tell you. Do you see what superstition has done to this family, Jim? It's not that important.
Speaker 6: It is important.
Speaker 5: We're supposed to be a healthy, normal American family, and what happened to us. We become involved in a bunch of old world superstitions, and.
Speaker 6: All our lives are affected.
Speaker 5: Bud gets a black eye, Kathy breaks a window. Bet he gets the whole neighborhood upset. Where they're tall, dark strangers. Jim, it's very well to scoff at superstition.
Speaker 6: But when I was a boy, gods, Now what I tell you?
Speaker 5: That chair rock back and forth, back and forth, Sir Anderson, my friend, my wonderful friend.
Speaker 6: It's about time you got here. Where's my hat?
Speaker 5: Jim?
Speaker 2: You mustn't blame mister Adams.
Speaker 5: I gave him that, Missus Anderson, Look what I thought for you, the biggest box.
Speaker 6: Of Kennedy I could. This is the biggest.
Speaker 5: Box of candy and speak for you, mister, go ahead, ticket take it.
Speaker 6: I want you to have it. It's for you, mister Adams. All we want is the hat. May I please have I.
Speaker 5: Brought a doll for the little girl, present for everybody, a baseball bat and perfume. Mister Adams, I have to go to Chicago. May I please have my hat? Look, mister Anderson, she guards the biggest box I could find, mister Adams, free for a half. That's expensive, but nothing is too good for my friend.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much. Now, may I have my hat.
Speaker 5: The hat, that wonderful hat. You know. All my life I've been an unlucky man, a junk man, a poor pensilan, and then you gave me that hat, that beautiful hat.
Speaker 6: I said, I'd give you five dollars.
Speaker 3: Oh, I couldn't sell that hat.
Speaker 5: Not that hat ten dollars, Jean, mister Edison, fifteen dollars. I wouldn't sell it for a million dollars.
Speaker 6: Haven't you heard what it did for me?
Speaker 5: I just won the Irish sweep steaks.
Speaker 6: It's been wonderful news the past few weeks.
Speaker 4: Maxwell House Coffee featured at lower prices, and today in big stores and small grocers are featuring America's favorite brand of coffee at the lowest prices in months. I know how welcome that news is for you folks who know and love Maxwell House, and for you folks who haven't been getting that wonderful, good to the last drop flavor in your cup, now's the time open up a blue tin of Maxwell House and see how much more pleasure you find in coffee when it has the world's most famous flavor. Flavor you can count on because we're proud of it, and we'll never compromise on the quality of a single pound for the wonderful coffee that's today's coffee. By look for Maxwell House, featured at the lowest prices in months. It's always good to the last drop. It doesn't take long for three days to come and go. Just about three days. And that's precisely what's happened in Springfield. Jim Anderson has gone to Chicago and come back again, and now for the first time in three days, he's at the breakfast table with his family like this.
Speaker 5: I guess I made them set up and take notice, right in front of everybody. Mister Craig said they couldn't have placed the Springfield area in more capable hands.
Speaker 6: Jim, he did, He certainly did.
Speaker 5: And he's only the president of the company. That's all boy. You should have seen the eyes.
Speaker 7: Pop.
Speaker 8: Say, Dad, you know how many hits I got yesterday with the Batmans?
Speaker 7: Adams gave me six.
Speaker 6: That's fine, Bud. How come he had a game yesterday?
Speaker 8: Well it wasn't a regular league game. I was just fooling around with Kathy's team.
Speaker 1: He hit three home runs.
Speaker 7: Oh, it wasn't so much.
Speaker 2: A father.
Speaker 9: Yes, Betty, I'm going to a formal next Friday, and I saw the most beautiful dress.
Speaker 2: Again, Betty, your father just got home.
Speaker 9: But mother Tommy said it was going to be the most exclusive formal of the year.
Speaker 5: Tommy, you mean the tall, dark one.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know they were gonna have trouble with him.
Speaker 2: After all, Jim. Let's not get started on that again. It was a very successful convention, wasn't it.
Speaker 6: It certainly was. I accomplished a.
Speaker 2: Great deal, and you did it all without your lucky hat, didn't.
Speaker 6: You, Margaret. I never said it was a lucky hat.
Speaker 5: I merely said, well, the man's entitled to a few little idiosyncrasies.
Speaker 6: That's all it was.
Speaker 11: Oh, let's just forget it, all right, dear daddy. Yes, Kathy, is everything all right now? I mean you aren't going away in anymore trips or anything.
Speaker 6: Are you no, Kathy, I'm staying right here and everything's just as fine as.
Speaker 1: It Canvy good? Now, can I please have my rabbit's foot there?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: There's an instant coffee with roaster fresh, pure coffee flavor. It's Instant Maxwell House, the instant coffee with the famous flavor, the happiest combination in coffee, wonderful, good to the last drop flavor, combined with the convenience and thrift of coffee made instantly in the cuff. Unlike most instant coffees, it's all rich, pure coffee. Nothing Tomorrow. Try the instant coffee with a famous flavor, Instant Maxwell House, instantly good to the last drop. Join us again next week when we'll be back with Father Knows Best, starring Robert Young, Is Jim Anderson with Roy Bargee and the Maxwell House Orchestra and Yours truly, Bill Forman.
Speaker 3: Don't forget.
Speaker 4: Membership cards for the Robert Young Good Driver's Club are waiting for you at your local NBC station. Get a manned a man or Dad's a daughter pledge and sign up today. Be a good driver. Get your membership card in the Robert Young Good Driver's Club Today now until next Thursday. Good night and good luck from the makers of Maxwell House, America's favorite brand of coffee, Always Good to the last drop, Father Knows Best, was transcribed in Hollywood and written by Ed James.
Speaker 3: Now stay tuned for Screen Gild.
Speaker 4: Theater, which follows immediately over most of these stations.
Speaker 5: Stay tuned for Screen Guild and The Seventh Fail on NBC