Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on WBS Boston's Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Nicole. Good to know the Bruins are winning and they're ahead of the Capitals. Let's get those duck boats ready for a Stanley Cup parade. We're always optimistic here in New England. Good evening, everybody, and welcome on into a Tuesday night edition of Nightside. My name is Dan Ray, and three months from this night we'll be celebrating Christmas Eve. I hate to remind you of that, but it's three months left to do your holiday shopping and uh just you'll get the warning every once in a while, every every month, that's a matter of fact. My name is Dan Ray. I'm delighted to be here as always, and I'm sure you're delighted to be wherever you are, that is for sure. And Rob Brooks, I know, is absolutely delighted to be back in the control room in the broadcast center of the world as I Rob you there. I'm telling you right now, everything is on your shoulders. I don't want to put any pressure on you, but you got to keep everything rolling tonight, okay, you Betty said, all right, I like that. All right, this is our first hour which is the night side News Update, and we have four special guests lined up for you, and then later on tonight we'll get some topics that may be somewhat controversial. We're going to start off with Joeanne Simon. She's the president and CEO of Northeast ARC. Joanne Simon's I'm very familiar with the work of ARC, not only your ARC, but all sorts of arcs around the New England area. How are you.
Speaker 3: Tonight, I'm great, Dan, Thanks for having me and letting me talk a little bit about our work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're here to celebrate construction of a home for people with developmental disabilities and complex medical issues, which of course is the core of the mission of the ARC, not only the Northeast ARC. Tell us about this home and who's it going to and everything you'd like to like to share with us tonight so we make people understand what a great, a wonderful, wonderful organization the Northeast ARK is.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan, and I'm glad you mentioned that there are other arcs, because there are a number of arcs around the state and we all do phenomenal work and supporting people with developmental and intellectual disabilities. And autism and their families. But I want to talk a little bit about this really special home that we opened in top Fill just a few weeks ago. This home will ultimately support four individuals. Right now there are three, and you mentioned complex medical needs, and these are among the most complex medical needs that you can imagine.
Speaker 4: The three individuals that are.
Speaker 3: Living there now all rely on ventilators and they have traits, and this means that we are able to support them in the community. And what's really remard remarkable about these three individuals who require twenty four hour nursing care is that they were all living with their families before. They now are living in their own home, in a beautiful home where we've been welcomed in top Field. And so the heroes of this story are really the families who provided extraordinary care and now they trust us, the Northeast Doc, to take care of their most pressured, precious loved ones. And we do that with we have direct support professionals, and we have registered nurses and licensed practical nurses, and they're receiving the same level of care as many people in hospitals or nursing homes require but weren't able to do it in the community and provide them the opportunity to live their best life. And just a couple of weeks ago, I've just.
Speaker 2: Looked a picture here, and obviously we're radio and not television, but what a wonderful picture with the ribbon cutting ceremony. Just boy, I'll tell you, yeah, if everyone could see this picture, I'm sure everybody would be supporting all the programs that are go ahead. I didn't need to interrupt you with.
Speaker 3: No, And you know, I'm glad you talked about the picture because you know, we had at the opening our elected officials, you know are state representatives and state senators, the town officials from the town of top Field, you know, as well as you know, members of the Northeast OARC family and our state partners and the Executive Office of Health and Human Services and the Department of Developmental Disabilities. And there were times when people talk about and you know, make comments about, you know, the work of the state. They don't really understand that the partnerships that we enjoy really allow people with some of the most complex needs to really have wonderful lives. And that's because government and private organizations like the Northeast do OC nonprofit organizations that we are you know, work together to create these opportunities for people. And we are grateful for those kinds of partnerships from our state and local elected officials and our funding sources which are state agencies, and you know, obviously the legislature which year after year has really been able to identify the needs of people with developmental intellectual disabilities and autism of being of highest priority and have provided us the needed funds to do the work.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you most people, including myself, don't mind our tax dollars and other funds that we may choose to contribute to go to a great organization, like any of the arcs that that is for sure. Was this a new house. I was having trouble getting into the story for.
Speaker 3: A brand new house, brand new house we had, you know, and like everyone else's tried to enter the housing market, you know how difficult it is. So one is we needed to find land. We needed to you know, do the improvements to be able to make the landropriate to actually build the house. And you know that means architecture. Architects are architects contractors, you know, it means, you know, furnishing the house. It means, you know, making sure that the gas and the electric is is put into it. And you know, with the supply chain that we've had and that you know, demands and housing, it's very expensive to build new construction in this state. And that's really one of the challenges that all of us in the nonprofit world and the arcs you know, are facing of the same face, same challenges that homeowners are people renters who want to become homeowners are facing. Is that the incredible costs of you know, acquiring and finding suitable homes.
Speaker 2: Looking again at the picture, you realize the level of disabilities that these folks are dealing with. Uh, they obviously need a lot of care. How many other people, Uh, these folks are in a difficult set of circumstances. I'm looking at at an older woman and a younger man. These must be very rare conditions. But but there must be others out there who are not fortunate.
Speaker 3: It is rare, you know, and we often get to you know, I get to talk to you and others about and we can celebrate the incredible achievements of people with disabilities, you know, who are working competitively and living independently and and you know, have families and doing wonderful things and achieving great success. But we also want to make sure that those folks who have these kinds of complex needs, like the people in the picture that you're referring to, also have those opportunities. So it is there there are fewer people with these kinds of significant medical issues, and they're caused by a number of different different Sometimes it's a birth injury and sometimes it's an injury acquired later in life, regardless of their the severity of the disability, and you can see in the pictures that these are people with a lot of equipment around them and a lot of need for hands hands on assistance. These are people who you know, aren't able to communicate in the way that we communicate verbally or even with an eye gazer. But these are folks that you really subtle ways of communicating their likes or dislikes, or they're discomforts. But in spite of all these challenges, I'm really proud that our team members are really able to get these folks into the community. And just a few weeks ago they enjoyed a great family festival that we had at the Market Street in Winfield, and they're out in the community living the best life that they can live alongside you know, our runners who were at the same event being able to run a five k.
Speaker 2: So you folks are the people who deserve help. They should be at the front of the line, and ARC is helping them get to the front of the line. I just think it's incredible work that you have done. You know, over many, many years. I've been familiar with the over fifty years. To be really honest with you, I go back to doctor Harold Turner from Newton, Massachusetts, who was honored one year as the man it was then called Man of the Year, Person of the Year. He was a dentist, pediatric dentist for children with disabilities. So he he introduced me to the ARC many many years ago. And I know that there have been a lot of other folks who have been great with with the ARC. How can folks get in touch if they'd like to help get more information? What's your best home?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, obviously it's great the website, which is any hyphen AARC dot organ. I'm glad you talked about doctor Traynor because people like him who life his name.
Speaker 2: Let me correct that his name is Harold Turner. To you are any.
Speaker 3: And those are really the heroes, people who you know, identified these special populations, you know, decades before it became more fashionable too. And my son, who has down cinem is forty five years old, and he's the reason that I do the work that I do because the world that I envisioned for him didn't exist. And even I can't probably could have predicted the incredible gains that people with intellectual disabilities have made in the last four and a half decades that I've witnessed this growth and opportunity.
Speaker 2: Joey, thank you, Thank you for what you do for your son, but also thank you for what you do for the community. Again, that website is any all lowercase any hyphen arc dot org archie.
Speaker 4: Thanks Joe and you can sign me there.
Speaker 3: And thank you Dan for amplifying our voices.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. My pleasure, my pleasure, my honor. As a matter of fact, at eight fifteen, we're a little bit after eight to fifteen, but we're going to be talking with Bob Scanel Presidency, you know, the Boys and Girls Club of Dorchester celebrating the their fiftieth anniversary as well as talking about Rodman's ride. So we got a very very uplifting segment coming up. The first segment uplifting in a different sort of way, was uplifting and showing what should be done for those who were amongst us have the greatest battles to fight, but the Boys and Girls Club they do a great job. And we'll talk with Bob Scannel right after this break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, as we mentioned, we're going to be talking and we are talking right now with Bob Scanel, President and CEO of the Boys and Girls Club of Dorchester. You folks have been doing this for fifty years in Dorchester. Congratulations Bob, to you and everyone involved with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Dorchester.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you so much. I really appreciate that. And yeah, we've been out it for a while now, and you know, we're blessed to have a lot of friends in our corner, as you know, supporting us the whole way. So we're obviously very excited to be celebrating this big year and we've got a lot of great things going on, as we do every year.
Speaker 2: I know my pal Jack Dougherty of College Hype is a huge friend and supporter of the Boys and Girls Club of Dorchester. And we also want to talk about last weekend. You guys were very much involved in the Robin Ride for Kids. They held their thirty fourth annual event last weekend. That the event is in the past tense, but it was a big success, as I understand it.
Speaker 4: It was a great success. It was this past weekend. And yes, Jack Dougherty, he's a legend, he's the best.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I talk with him this afternoon. He's had to say hello, by the way.
Speaker 4: You're a wonderful man. And in fact, you and Jack and Bill Brett were kind of to do a fundraiser for us for one of our many projects. So you guys are a great team. But Jack, Jack's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a deep captain. Bock go ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, it always says anyway, but believe it at that he is. So this past weekend was the thirty fourth year of the Rodman Ride for Kids, and we've been fortunate. We go way back with the late, great and wonderful Darn Rodman, who was the absolute best. He founded the ride in nineteen ninety one, and I know, like after this weekends it's up over one hundred and fifty million dollars raised among the thirty forty five organizations that partner with the ride. So obviously in the norm enormous success and for us over all those years, it's been a lifesaver for us to thicken fan to a lot of the tough years. We're able to have our friends rally and forward us and ride and sponsor and make sure that we have funds we need to operate every year. And you know, none better honestly than the Myer Company team and the my family who for all thirty four years have been there with us, not only with the Rodman Ride, but all fifty years as a founding family of our boys and Girls clubs. So it's so amazing to them. They wound up a great team, Dan Masters as a team captain, and you know, they have a nice group of riders. They go out, they take their fundraising serious, they have a fun day and raising important funds for us. So it's pretty exceptional that we have friends like that that have been with us for fifty years. And in addition to that, all thirty four years of the Rodman Ride. So it's quite an event.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now've done fifty years, so what's the next fifty looking like? I mean, it's going to be bigger and better, I assume correct.
Speaker 4: That's always the way, and that's the way we think here. And you know, we're blessed to have great teams here with interance of our staff and board and the community and our funders. So we currently operate three clubhouses in Dorchester. But the really big news is that what a great way to celebrate our fiftieth. We're working very hard the raise the funds we need to build our fourth clubhouse, which will be in partnership with our amazing friends at the Martin Richard Foundation. So our two organizations have come together and we've been at it for about six years now with planning and designing a seventy five thousand square foot facility. But it's so neat in the community and I just commend our teams here and my hat goes off to Bill Richard and Denise who work so hard with us alongside us as great volunteers to make this happen. And so together we designed this amazing facility. Its spectacular. We can't wait to get it open. And you know, we do very well. We're well along in the fundraising. It's a seventy million dollar campaign and we've passed. Oh yeah, we took on a lot. To your point, get yeah, we're gonta. We're got a lot going on this coming year.
Speaker 2: I knew that's what you're going to talk about. And again, this is a this is a big project, a big, big project, and Jack dolready has kept me abreast of that. And of course working with the mountin Richards Foundation that is just an incredible group of people and it's a family and uh is the is the fundraising? Uh? Where you need to be at this point? I use seventy million dollars. That's that's a lot of money. I know.
Speaker 4: Once in a while over the past several years, Bill, Bill Rich and I we looked at each other and just say, wow, we took on a lot.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, yeah, let's just keep working and and we're working very hot. And you know, we've we've we've gone over the forty million dollars raised, so that that that is amazing, that is really great. So so, but we've we've got we've still got you know, We've still got a Hilda climb. We make no bones about that.
Speaker 2: So if you've raised forty and you're trying to get to seventy, you're like fifty six percent of the way there. So UH, if anyone's out there listening tonight who has some extra money in their paycheck and they'd like to help a great cause, how can they get in touch with you?
Speaker 4: Well they can. The best way is to go right directly to our website. And you know, I feel like I could give you those addresses, so yeah, I can look.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at it right now, So go ahead and make the make the pitch BGC go BGC Doorchester dot org.
Speaker 4: Right, that's correct, yep. And when and when you go to that site, you can look at, you know, all our programs and opportunities to donate. You can also click on a link to the uh the Fieldhouse, it's called the Fieldhouse Plus that we're building and uh and that's on our site under event So please take a look at that. Love for for your audience to take a look at that and see, you know, just what we're talking about here and this is this is transformational for children and families in Dorchester into out all of Boston. So we couldn't be more excited. And and and again we feel we feel great where we are. But we've got we've got a ways to go. Uh you know, we've got a site set on uh you know, the next few large donations to get us moving forward with the project, and we're quite confident that. But yeah, we should do. We need all the friends we can get for something like this. This is this is massive and it's just very very important for the city of Boston.
Speaker 2: All right, BGC for Boys and Girls Club BGC, Dorchester dot org. Bob Scannel, thanks so much for joining us tonight and uh, I'll see over Dorchester. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: My friend sounds great. Thanks very much, Dan, take care of it.
Speaker 2: We come back right after the news at the bottom of the hour. We're going to talk about an auction that is coming up this Saturday. It's called the Remarkable Rarities Auction, and there are some remarkable opportunities. It's at the Royal Sinesta Hotel in Boston. We're gonna be talking with the executive vice president of our auction, Bobby Livingston. So if you're into rare items, some of which you might be able to get at less of a cost than you might realize. You stick with us here on WBZ Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ ten thirty and your AM dial.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: You want to welcome Bobby Livingston. He's the executive vice president of a company called Remarkable Rarities Auction and they are having a live auction. Can people participate in this, Bob remotely? Do they have to physically be at the Royal Sinesta Hotel in Boston on Saturday, September twenty eighth.
Speaker 4: Dan, They can register to bid online and watch the auction stream at bit online, set up phone calls and bid or hopefully show up because it's always an exciting event at the Royal Semester. We do it once a year. We're proudly Boston Auction House.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I noticed a couple of things that I want to ask about. One is the never before seen where eight milimeters color film of the JFK Motorcade on that faithful day in November twenty second, nineteen sixty three. Where's this? Where's this film? Who shot the film? What can you tell us about it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: There was a truck driver in Dallas named Dale Carpenter, and he started filming on Lemon Avenue, which was about a mile from Daley Plaza. And if you watch the film, he just misses the President's car. The film starts, you can see the Secret Service car just pulling out a frame. So he shoots about forty seconds. But because he was a truck driver, he knew exactly where the President was going to head to the Trademark, So it goes up on the Stemens Freeway. So it's right after the President is assassinated in Dealey Plaza. And if you remember the the Bruter film, you know, Missus Kennedy tries to get out of the car and Clint Hill, the Secret Service agent, jumps on, pushes her back in the car, and they speed off into this tunnel. Well, the film we have is like just maybe half a mile after they come out of the out of the tunnel, so you can clearly see Agent Hill still on the car. You can see Missus Kennedy's pink pink suit, and they's speeding by at eighty miles an hour. It's incredible, it's incredible footage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she actually as I understand that from the reports that I have read, and I talked many times with Dave Powers, who was in the in the follow car. Dave was President Kennedy's closest legislative or administrative aid for his entire career in Congress, both in the House, in the Senate and at the White House day Powers of Charlestown. I believe that Missus Kennedy actually was Trase trying to get on the back of the car, because I don't know how else to say this, that part of the President's brain had had landed on the back of on the back of that car, and that's why she was not trying to get away. She was trying to basically do what she could to try to save his life. Obviously in that moment, I kind of imagine what could have gone through her mind. You also have, in addition to that, you got a lot of documents and letters signed by famous, I mean famous people from all the way from the Revolutionary War through all of the nineteenth century. The autographs of presidents which are which you know back in the Andrew Jackson, John Tyler era of the eighteen thirties and the eighteen forties. It's amazing when I looked at everything that you have, and then there's one item which I didn't quite understand until I read it in that was the the King Gillette razor. I guess the guy that founded Gillette had a special type razor created.
Speaker 4: Well you know he he he was an amazing person because he wanted to invent a replaceable item to have consistent income. So he invents the razor blade and then he gets Tiffany to make him a shaver to put the safety razor into. So it's, uh, it's a pretty incredible artifact. It's got Casey G. H. Engraved on it, which is King camp Gillette. Did you know King King Camp Gillette is such a great a great name. And uh this is the prototype uh of the of the razor holder. So uh, it's it's a it's a pretty amazing item. It was never mass produced in uh. Uh this is this, this is a this is a prototype. So it's a pretty incredible artifact that comes right from uh, the Gillette family.
Speaker 2: How do you get all of these items? I mean you're talking about manuscripts and letters which are stunning in you realize that we're not something that's talking about things that go back to the twentieth century. We're talking about things go back to the nineteenth century and even before that.
Speaker 4: How do you We have a letter from Mozart with an envelope right in this auction right, it's incredible, a letter from Beethoven where he writes out a musical score. I mean, We've got incredible documents going all the way back to Henry the eighth, so we get them. We've been in Boston since nineteen seventy six and we put out a monthly catalog since nineteen eighty, so we're internationally known as an auction house that self manuscripts. We've sold letters for millions of dollars. We sold one letter that Einstein wrote to a colleague who had criticized him, and he basically said in German, look, use equals mc square any idio it can do that, you know, it's what you wrote. That that's sold from one point I think three million a couple of years ago. So once you start selling objects for that kind of money, people start sending them to you to auction for them. So that's where we we get. We get items from all over including I don't know if you saw it, but we have items from Edwin Booth family, you know John Wilkes boost.
Speaker 2: Brother, they have they There was also a poster, a wanted poster for the YEA for the linked assassination. That would that's pretty pricey. I guess they're on too many of those around.
Speaker 4: No, you know, uh, anything printed you know prior, you know, while they were still hunting Booth, it's worth a lot of money. This is the fourth printing and it kind of mentioned it mentions that you had shaved this mustache they suspected. Uh. And so it's so bold, you know, I encourage anybody to go look at it at our auction dot com because it's like want it for murder? And there, you know, it's uh what you know, the most egregious murder of the nineteenth century obviously. Uh. And they were offering fifty thousand dollars for Booth's head, so uh that that was.
Speaker 2: Real money in those days, real money, really real money in those days. So what is the website? There must be a website where people can view this, because you have all of these items available for viewing. I just was on the website about an hour ago. Was fascinated by the variety of items you have, tell us what the website is.
Speaker 4: It's our our auction dot com, you know which is rare remarkable auction dot com or our auction dot com. Uh. And yeah, there's some really cool things we've got, like some George Washington and Martha Washington hair locks. Just it's some kinds of fascinating something like that.
Speaker 2: You provide them with with a letter of authenticity, obviously.
Speaker 4: I assume that's correct. But even more important, it's what we would call provenans. You know, the chain of custody from where this hair of Washington came from. It was actually presented to the family of Oliver Walcott, the signer of the Declaration of Independence, So that you know where the thing has been is really important. And including the Lincoln poster, we know what auction has sold in in nineteen oh three, so it just doesn't, you know, it just doesn't appear, you know, out of nowhere. So they get the assurance.
Speaker 2: What did the Lincoln poster in nineteen oh three would have been about forty years after the assassination? A little short ford, right, what did it sell for in those days? Break my heart and tell me how long?
Speaker 4: I think it was about thirteen dollars, which was a lot of which was real money back then.
Speaker 2: Wow, and then some family held it for a long time. I assume, yeah, yes, sir.
Speaker 4: No, It's interesting where this particular poster came from a family who owned a document manuscript sales store in Washington, d c. And began selling documents around that time. And I think the descendant passed away in the thirty So this is this is one of those items that's been in a family for almost one hundred years.
Speaker 2: Boy, I'll tell you fascinating stuff. This is type of stuff that that should be of interest to everyone. The event itself is this Saturday. What time do you start?
Speaker 4: It's at one pm at the Royal Sinesta. The public is invited. That's in Cambridge. The public's invited to attend and we'll have some of the artifacts there for you to inspect in person.
Speaker 2: And I assume the public can get in before one before one pm so they can view some offs. Or does the auction start a little later.
Speaker 4: Now the public can begin showing up around twelve thirty?
Speaker 2: Wow? Okay the Sinesta? Is that the Sinista that's over on the other side of the river or is that in Dumb Yeah?
Speaker 4: By the Fiance Museum because it.
Speaker 2: Says when it said Royal Sentence the hotel in Boston, I'm thinking of myself. Royal Sentence. The hotel, as far as I know, is in Cambridge, but it's in the Cambridge right by that, right on the other side of the Charles River. Bobby, I really did appreciate it. Bobby Livingston, the executive vice president at R in R Auction. I think I have a fascinating job because of the people I get a chance to talk to. You have a fascinating job because of the items that you get a chance to handle and look at a day to day basis.
Speaker 4: You bet, Dan, I have to learn something every day, like just like you do. That's great. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: That's the best part of the job. That's the best part of the job. Really, thanks, thanks very much, Bob. Again, this is Saturday, September twenty eighth, This Saturday. The Royal Sinasta Hotel in Boston, which is really the Royal Sinesta Hotel right across the river in Cambridge. Everybody knows where it is. It's very close, just kind of a kitty corner to the Science Museum. When we get back We're going to talk about a really serious subject. One in three form NFL players believe they have CTE, and today it was happened to be watching. Of course, we saw the quarterback for the Miami Dolphins suffer historic concussion and may may actually impact his future in the NFL. But today there was some terrible news about Brett Farrev, the Hall of Fame quarterback for the Green Bay Packers and later in his career for the New York Jets, that he's dealing with Parkinson's disease at the age of fifty four, which he believes very well maybe related to the something that he took as an NFL quarterback all those years when we enjoyed watching him on television. He took quite a beating. We'll be back and we're going to be talking with doctor Eric Nepute about the consequences of repeated blows to your head, whether or not you're wearing a football helmet or not. We'll be back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: I want to welcome doctor Eric Nepute. We're going to talk about CTE. That is something that one in three former NFL players believe they have. There are also of studies dealing on this CTE. I'm going to try to pronounce it, doctor, you'll probably do a better job. Chronic traumatic and silvilopathy. I don't know how badly I butchered that, but let's call it CTE for the balance of the interview.
Speaker 4: How are you the sivening, I'm doing well. Thanks for having me, and you did well. It's chronic traumatic encephalopathy, so ct it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know if you saw the story about Brett Farv today. It was announced watching one of the nightly newscasts was on ABC that he, at the age of fifty four, apparently is dealing with the Parkinson's diagnosis. Are you aware of that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I am, actually in fact, I you know, look, I practice functional neurology in my private practices, amongst a few other things. And not only have did I work with the Saint Louis Rams when they were, you know, still here in Saint Louis, where my practice is, but I've also been a retired NFL Players Association physician for over twelve years, and I'm intimately familiar with Brett Favre situation, as well as unfortunately hundreds of other NFL athletes that are unfortunately in a similar situation because of CTE.
Speaker 2: So let's talk. Let's talk about it. These guys have the best equipment, but the impact that they suffer, you know, particularly in some cases, you know, quarterbacks who are always being thrown to the ground when they're sacked. Sometimes receivers when uh uh when when when they are trying to catch a pass and they're they're wide open, uh and and they're they're they're just there for for the hitting. I think it's receivers and and qbs that that suffer more than even some of the interior alignment. What what's what do we what do we? What have we discovered in terms of what positions are the most dangerous?
Speaker 4: First of all, yeah, well, first of all, a lot of people don't realize that even soccer has more head injuries than than a American football. Does you think about that for just a minute. Yeah, hitting the ball, the.
Speaker 2: Ball, That's what's going on there. They study this stuff at Boston University, as you know, So tell us, I mean, why is it I'm assuming that in prior years when they had leather helmets in the thirties and George Hallis was coaching the Chicago Bears, that there probably was more impact and more damage, but it just never was understood to be CTE or my way off.
Speaker 4: There no, not at all. You're one hundred percent right. I mean, I will tell you a couple of things. Look in my twenty two years of private practice working with athletes all over the globe, I'll tell you that there were these problems in the twenties, thirties, forties, and to this day. But I don't know if you know this. Have you seen what football players today can do versus what they could do twenty years ago. I mean the guys twenty years ago that were offensive linemen, the three hundred pound you know, gentlemen that were on the field. I mean, now we've got running backs that are two hundred and fifty pounds. I mean, it's insane how large these humans are, how athletic, and how powerful they are. And I'll tell you this, the statistically proven who has a whiplash and CTE injuries more than anyone are the offensive lineman and defensive linemen. They have almost every single play ahead to head collision. And what a lot of people don't understand is they think that it's the big head on injury that knocks somebody out that causes the concussions and the CTE. The reality of it is is that we know that little micro traumas can build up over months, years, and decades that really leads to these amyloid plaquing or scarring of the brain that unfortunately causes the brain not to work to Demiel and eight and can lead to all kinds of symptoms. I mean, Alzheimer's is definitely one of them. So is Parkinson's Huntington's disease. I mean, there are other symptoms that blow people's mind that they don't realize are related to them, like sleep, apneam, low testosterone, and blood pressure issues. So there's so many variables that play with this. It's really wild if you think about it. So, yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember as a kid growing up, and I remember the first three hundred pound player was a guy named Big Daddy Lipscomb played with the Colts, and I think also maybe a little bit of time with the Steelers, and he was like three hundred pounds. But those three hundred pounds in those days compared to the lineman today who weigh three hundred. These guys are all cut at three hundred pounds. I mean they spend the entire year off season in the gym lifting and the impact. I've been on the sidelines for well a couple of NFL games and the impact of the collisions is just incredible. It's amazing that more of them aren't badly injured during the course of season. We have seen some players pretty badly injured. And we're talking about the Miami me quotaback now too, whose career might be over.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, Look, you know I played high school and college football as well, so I'm personally familiar with concussions. I mean, remember when we were kids, we didn't even call them concussions. We called it getting your bell round, right, I Mean, that's what it was. And they basically told you, ah, you'll be fine, put some dirt on it, and get back in there. That's what it was. And now we're more acutely aware of the short term and long term repercussions of these injuries. And here's what we know. What we know is that the earlier you start playing contact sports, the more the risk of you having these little micro traumas that build up, like I said, over months, years and decades, and you know it really is. It's amazing because the technology that we have today. I mean, even with all the amazing helmets and the amazing shoulder pads and the new rules that are in contact sports, you got to think about this. Your brain is just it's spun. It's like a it's like a soft little sponge and when that body gets hit, that soft sponge hits up against the hard bone inside your skull and and it literally rattles. So like if you get hit from the front, you know that that's that the brain is going to hit the front of the skull and it's going to rebound and hit the backside of it. So you have that happen five, six, eight times a game, and you do that for you know, a career. These things build up, and that's why we're seeing more of these, you know, unfortunate issues. I don't know if you saw the the Hall of Fame game uh this year, but I forget the gentleman's first name, McMichael from the Bears who was inducted into the Hall of Fame this year, defensive lineman, and you know he has als right now, and we now are seeing correlative relations to that. So it's it's it really is quite interesting what's happening. But the good news is we now have early testing. There's there's affordable, convenient and effective testing that can be done for kids when they start playing sports. I mean, think about how powerful it would be if you had a baseline of the health of your child's brain and the balance and coordination of the brain and how it works, and then every year you were able to measure that. It's kind of like measuring your blood pressure. You know, we have access to these.
Speaker 2: Things now, no, no question. You were referring to Steve McMichael, and we remember here, Michael, Yes, yeah, in the eighty six game when the Bears cleaned the clocks of the Patriots, we got to run here. Doctor Eric Nepudie, thank you so much for your time. You're all good information. I appreciate it so much.
Speaker 4: I have a blessed it. Bye bye, back catch you.
Speaker 2: We will take a quick break and when we come back, we're going to get into the well controversial part of the night side right after the nine