Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking like back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: What a finish at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers walk it off in dramatic style against the Rockies for a six to five win and hold a three game lead over the Padres heading into the Big showdown beginning Tuesday night here at Dodgers Stadium. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse with you until five thirty tonight. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Jose Moto will check in in about fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: And also we will hear from.
Speaker 2: Steve Jaeger, who was awarded the Tommy La Sorda True Blue Award on Tommy's birthday. His daughter Laura was here presenting Steve Yeager, one of the all time great catchers in franchise history, the ad and we'll reminisce with Steve Jeger before we say good night. But this was all about the twenty twenty four Dodgers. What a tale of two different games. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the Dodgers the first five or six innings of this game. A very disappointing start by Yoshi Yamamoto today, in a game the Dodgers needed him to pitch big, he did not.
Speaker 3: He only went three innings.
Speaker 2: He put the Dodgers in an early four to nothing hole and threw seventy nine pitches.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts had to.
Speaker 2: Go to his bullpen for the start of the fourth inning. That's where Joe Kelly restored order, followed by Ryan Brasier. From there, benk Asparius, the rookie right hander who has been waiting for his turn to be the long reliever in an emergency situation the last few days, well, today was that day. Unexpectedly, but Casparras seemed.
Speaker 3: To be ready.
Speaker 2: He pitched three big innings for the Dodgers out of the bullpen. He only gave up one run, had five strikeouts and two walks. Those were three huge innings pitched by the rookie right hander. And then Blake Trenning came in struck out the side in order in the bottom of the eighth inning to give the Dodgers the opportunity to come back down a run in this game, and unlike last night, the top of the order was able to deliver Sho Haotani with a mammoth game tying home run to lead off the ninth inning against the same pitcher these guys saw less than twenty four hours ago and Seth Halverson. Seth Halverson part of this young Rockies bullpen that has the worst team ero in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: Okay, he got one over.
Speaker 2: You survived yesterday, But you're telling me Seth Halverson is going to be able to survive Otani, Betts and Freeman for a second straight game. Wasn't going to happen, and it never got to. Freddie Freeman, Otani and Mooki Betts took care of it, Mooki with the game winning walk off home run, his first as a Dodger, first career walk off home run by Mookie Betts, and the Dodgers needed this win badly, especially with the Padres beating the lowly White Sox, who are now officially the team with the most losses in baseball history. The Dodgers needed to take care of business against the last place Rockies, who have ninety six losses now. Huge win and it would have been as big of a loss if the Dodgers did not come back today. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. This comeback started not in the ninth inning. It started in the seventh inning. To asker, Hernandez hit a solo home run in the fourth, but the big inning for the Dodgers was in the seventh, as they scored three runs against.
Speaker 3: The Rockies bullpen.
Speaker 2: Freddie Freeman came up big in that seventh inning. After hitting into two double plays, he came up big with two outs to score show A Otani on an RBI single to right field off a left hander Luis Peralta, and then earlier in the inning, keik A Hernandez with a huge two run home run.
Speaker 3: Kei k A wasn't even in the original starting lineup.
Speaker 2: Max Munsey complained of some side soreness, and Dave Roberts put key A Hernandez into the starting lineup about two hours before first pitch, and wow, that turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
Speaker 3: Keik with two hits and kik A.
Speaker 2: Clutch as always ignited the Dodgers in that seventh inning with a two run home run, and from there the Big Boys took care of it in the ninth inning, back to back home runs. For the twelfth time this season, Otani four for five today. What an incredible game by him, fifty three home runs and fifty five stolen bases, the fifteenth time this season sho Haotani has homered and stolen the base in the same game.
Speaker 3: But as I have told you.
Speaker 2: All season long, with the interruption of a broken left hand, this was the season of Mookie Bets. And yes, Sho Haotani is going to win the National League MVP, But to me, the Dodgers team MVP for a number of different reasons is Mookie Bets, and I was so happy for him to get that big hit for the Dodgers, his first career walk off home run. Here was Mooky after the game. Mookie, how does it feel to be celebrated by this crowd and come up with such a big win.
Speaker 4: It feels amazing.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm fortunate.
Speaker 5: Uh, but uh it's if everyone is huge And that was a good one.
Speaker 2: You saw that closer last night. How much of an advantage was that for un show.
Speaker 5: Big advantage anytime you can see a guy over and over again. It's gonna kind of work to our advantage. Unfortunately, I got a fish to hit and I didn't miss it.
Speaker 2: Mookie, you always seem to come up big and the biggest of moments. Where does this rank this year for you guys? How big of a win and how big of a hit was that?
Speaker 5: I would say it's probably, you know, top five hits for me this season for sure, But you know everyone is huge and that one, that one, especially knowing that the Padres won their game and so we were down, but you know we fought back.
Speaker 2: I'll let you celebrate with your team. Man, what a hit, Mookie, what a player. You always steal the show.
Speaker 3: I try know, show stills this show.
Speaker 2: I'm just here to support him. Thanks Mookie, sir. And that's a pretty good support system right there. Mookie Bets and show hey Otani do what they're supposed to do and come up big and carry the Dodgers to a win.
Speaker 3: That's what those two MVPs did in the ninth inning.
Speaker 2: Otani with the game tying home run to lead off the inning and Mookie Betts down two. That wasn't an off speed hangar that he hit for the game winning home run.
Speaker 3: That was an two to one hundred fastball.
Speaker 2: On the inner part of the plate that he turned on to give the Dodgers a huge six to five win. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number when you look at this game.
Speaker 3: It really was a tale of two games. And now the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers really have to focus on the San Diego Padres as they come to town three games back. And the math is really simple for the Dodgers. All you have to do is win two out of three, whether it's the first two, the middle two, the last two. Just win two and you are the NLS champions. But they are going to face maybe the hottest team in all a Major League Baseball, not just the hottest team in the National League, but the hottest team in Major League Baseball. And we all know how the Padres get up emotionally to play the Dodgers. Dave Roberts said before today's game that he believes the Dodgers cannot play cool against the Padres. They have got to match the intensity and the emotion of the Padres. And if you're looking at Dodgers Padres history, the last time the Dodgers and Padres were this close in a NL West race in a full season. Go back to two thousand and six, the Padres and Dodgers were tied the last three days of the season. The Padres had the tiebreakers, so they won the division that year. It's kind of similar this season because if the Dodgers and Padres finish in a tie, the Padres hold the tiebreaker as well, So that's why today's win was so big. If the Dodgers are only two games ahead of the Padres going into the three game series, the margin for error is a lot smaller than it is with a three game lead and the Padres holding the season series. If you go back a little bit farther as well, nineteen ninety six, the Dodgers and Padres went down to an exciting finish as well the Eric Harris Mike Piazza raoul Mondese Dodgers, where it had two and a half games with four to go. Those Dodgers lost four in a row to end the season.
Speaker 3: They were the.
Speaker 2: Wildcard team and the Padres were the division win. So wow, what a finished year at Dodgers Stadium. Mookie Bets and show Hey Otani walk it off for the Dodgers. I'm sure if the Dodgers lost today, we would have a full border calls. But right now it feels like everybody is just relieved, and it feels like that was the feeling in that Dodger dugout, a sense of relief by that Dodger dugout that Mookie Bets and show hey Otani rescued them from what was the first six innings, one of the first six worst innings. I have seen the Dodgers offense all season long, and Yamamoto just not a really good performance.
Speaker 3: And if the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers lose this game, by the way, you don't have Yama Moto for the Padres Series. Of course, the Dodgers, when Yamamoto came back, obviously lined up his schedule with the thoughts they were going to win the NL West. Well, what if they lose today and Yamamoto pitches the By giving him this schedule and of course giving him extra rest like they have all season long, they would not have had Yamamoto for the Padres Series.
Speaker 3: And Yamamoto's next start is going to.
Speaker 2: Be next Saturday, the second to last game of the regular season. If the Dodgers' worst case scenario are the wildcard team. Yamamoto couldn't have started the first or second game of that Wildcard series. So this was such a big win on so many levels. It's not just another win to keep pace with the Padres. There were so many different layers to the Dodgers only being up two games going into the three game series against the Padres. Not to mention the Padres riding high while the Dodgers losing two out of three against the Rockies, that would not have felt great.
Speaker 3: So this game meant a lot.
Speaker 2: And when the Dodgers are popping bottles, I feel like we'll look back at this game among many that was maybe the bigest of the Dodgers the final two weeks of the season. Eight six, six ninety seven, two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, the Dodger pitching staff today struck out seventeen Rockies, tying a season high. Yamamoto had four of those, but the other relievers Joe Kelly, Ryan Brasier, Ben Casparius and Blake Trining combined for thirteen strikeouts against the Rockies. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, we'll check in with Jose Mota and get to your phone calls after a big win in dramatic fashion, Otani Mookie Betts back to back home runs to give the Dodgers a six to five win over the Rockies on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 6: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 3: Oh two pinch to Mochi.
Speaker 2: He swings HiT's adrive, dap left.
Speaker 3: It's heading back to the wall. This ball is done. It's gone, It's done.
Speaker 7: A walk up winner, Tomokie.
Speaker 3: Betts, Emma, Dodgers come on the way back to win it six to five. Bets with a blast and a pokey Poman on a.
Speaker 2: Sunday and blon and the Dodgers win their ninety third game of the season. Oh what a beautiful ending on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 3: At Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 2: Show Hey O'tani and Mookie Bets with back to back home runs to walk it off against the Rockies six to five. The final score here at Dodgers Stadium. As the Dodgers now have only six games to play in this regular season, with a three game lead over the San Diego Padres. The Padres will be year Tuesday night. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. The Dodgers hit four home runs today. Taascar Hernandez hit his thirty first of the year, a solo shot in the fourth inning. I still believe keyk hernandez Is two run home run in the seventh inning was maybe as big of a home run as Otani and bats in a different way without that two run home run. It takes more than just two solo home runs to win the game in the ninth inning. So Key K a Hernandez was meant to be in this starting lineup a late scratch with Max Munci. Keyk gets the start at third base, has two hits, and hits a big, one out, two run home run in that seventh inning, and it was nice to see Freddie Freeman gets some redemption with two outs an RBI base hit off the left hander Luis Peralta, who the Dodgers saw yesterday as well, and of course Otani and Mookie Betts. What can you say about two of the best players in the game today? Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's heat out to Jose Mota. Jose, what a win for the Dodgers. But did you feel like this was a tale of two different games.
Speaker 8: On the first half, for it is pretty much a reminder of what happened last October against the Diamondbacks. Were just okay, where is it? I mean, they're in the ball They're still going to pitchers pitches, and but I always the hope a bet and I told this on the air the pepe I have a feeling that this building is one swing away from rocking. And at the very end it took the right gas loaned up to get it done. I'm so glad it happened.
Speaker 2: If you look at keyk Hernandez, who was not even supposed to be in the game today, Jose, I guess it was meant to be because nobody is more clutch than Keith k as far as the role players go, and there's an argument to be made that he may be the most clutch player on the team. For him to come up with that two run home run, it felt like the Dodgers had to come back within them.
Speaker 9: Dave.
Speaker 8: It was like the alarm going off when Kick hit that ball, because keik I would put Kick in any type of pressure situations against anybody, in front of anybody, because he's lived the before. He keeps a moment to himself, knows exactly what to try to do. And then that's another example too of why you need veteran, tested, proven players on your bench who knew but Kick it by stunting the ball and hitting ball the other way the first time, I just got a sense that he was covered the half very well, and then when it's come down to pull the ball, he was going to strike. But I mean, it's the tail pretty much, David with what why do you guys like Kick thrive in these situations? Why you trust him and certain why championship caliber teams need people like Kei, ca Hernandez.
Speaker 3: Jose Motive is joining us.
Speaker 2: After the Dodgers come from behind to beat the Rockies today six to five, Jose Can we stop with the doubts that Otani is not clutch? He has hit a walk off Grand Slam here he comes up with a huge, game tying home run in the ninth inning. Can the critics just stop with the doubts that Otani is not clutch? I feel like he's proven proven himself already this season.
Speaker 8: What else does a guy need to do? I mean, in the abses of Mooki Beats who moved to the leadout spot, uh, because the Muki was coming back? Why is Bookie so productive to getting RBIs and make RBIs And not to take anything away from Muki, but it's like one guy's feasts off the other, and there's no doubt about it. I mean, people are gonna find whatever they're gonna find. Obviously, we know there's you know, a little bit of a bias because he's a DH. But as I say, uh, you know, Otani didn't decide, and David Ortiz didn't decide, and Ego Martinez didn't decide. I'm gonna be a dge, say you, I just don't want to pay any defense. Hey, it's just the way it is.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 8: Just enjoy it and enjoy the riot, because if you think about all the RBIs he has, Are you gonna tell me that the other seventy five besides the home runs count for nothing.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 8: I mean, his average is a little bit down minute scoring position, but he's coming up big in some big situitches against very good pitchers when he's been the target. The guy with the bullseyes is like to say, don't let him beat us. He finds a way to keep it very simple and goes out there and beat you. So ignore those that talk and let him talk whatever they want. But he's proving to everybody that he is the best player on the planet today, no doubt.
Speaker 3: And he stole two bases today.
Speaker 2: The second one was huge in the seventh inning with two outs. He scores from second base on that two out RBI bas hit by Freddie Freeman. So it's not just about patting the stats today, it was about those stolen bases coming up big to help the Dodgers score runs.
Speaker 8: Great point you make, because let me tell you sounds that about stolen bases and how that changes the man in which an inning develops, the man in which a catcher calls a pitch, even gets into a sequence of calling pitches and it's just a matter that you know, sometimes just the extra focus that he needed a pitcher because now comes Freddy, now comes Mookie is like, oh my goodness. There's also a minute scoring position, and if I don't pay attention to him, he's going to steal third base. They've all those things have to do with what you see as a hitter hitting behind show hey, and why innings are actually flow better when he is on base. There's a lot of things that happen. You know, guys, I'm not just gonna throw fastballs because he's on base. It's not what I'm saying, get that very clear. But the concentration that you take away from a picture that wants to be quits the plate or not able to repeat the release point and hang something is what has really made Mooki and Freddy even better themselves.
Speaker 2: What was the most impressive part of Mookie BET's walk off home run? To me, it wasn't so much hitting that one hundred fastball. To me, it was not giving up on the bat when he was down two.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I'm I'm glad Mooki said this to you, because guys love to see a familiar arm. Back to back and some managers will try to avoid that if they can, but Mooki knows relief point, pitch selection one hundred plus and the young man who's got a very good arm who just got away with one last night, and then that top of the odor too. When you consider that they're not table setters. These are sluggers that if you make a mistake, they're gonna hurt you. What really cut my eye on that up about is he stayed calm and he allowed himself to say, even if I'm a little bit late because he throws out splitter, I'm gonna trust my hands and drop the barrel in the fastball pitcher like that, don't try to overgenerate, use the barrel, use your hands in, Mooki. Rob bat Sclawyer told me this two days ago. He's coming. He goes, look at those hands are working again, Hose, And you know what, he's been right on the money, Jose.
Speaker 2: Last night, you said today needed to be the first playoff game that the Dodgers are attacked like. Treat this like a playoff game. The first five or six innings, it did not feel that way. What's the sense you get from this team after today's win? Going into Tuesday nights matchup against the Padres, who are the hottest team in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 8: We all believe in momentum, and we all believe in the fact that the first five innings actually did play. They looked like a playoff game when somebody is a number one starter, number two starters really not allowing you to make good swings. And the defense with three double plays, you know, responded to sens of delap But a playoff game doesn't mean you're gonna blow somebody out. They're gonna execute perfect. It's about staying in the moment and knowing that if you have opportunities left, Dave, there's a chance to do some damage. Now, Casparius, I will give that kid, I mean a lot of credit because he at least allow only one run and allowed the offense to carry that momentum because he allowed them to stay close enough. But you know what, I get used to this because that's exactly what I want to see. If it doesn't go your way the first half of the game, there's still a lot of game left, and they responded quite nicely. Now going into that serting against the Potters, because I you know, only thing I said last night, was you know what turned it on? When the pods are here, it doesn't help you. It needed to be today. And now we have that mentality that, you know what, it doesn't matter what's happened in the first few innings. We can go out there and compete and they will see very good pitching with San Diego. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Very thankful for the Rockies bullpen. Very thankful that the Dodgers did not give up on this game. Before I let you go, Hoose, we're going to hear from Steve Yeager a little bit later in the show. I know you were around him during his prime playing days. How great was it to see him so happy and so touched by what Bill Russell and Rick Monday had to say about him and the fans saluting him.
Speaker 8: Oh I loved you know Rick's wars and Bill Russell's were was about a guy that was so tough. Dave as a as a young kid in the clubhouse. That is the player that I saw limping the most in the clubhouse, okay, and getting his treatment and coming out we think that is he going to be able to plug today? But Yan always stuck up. He wanted to be in there nobody ever cared about what Steve Jeger was hitting, because what he did behind the plate, the confidence he's still on guys on the mound, the way he blocked and help said he got when he let something go by was pretty much what the Dodgers needed at that time. And I actually saw him play and win Alball Dominican as a young catcher. And let me tell you, I said, he's one of those guys that he's gonna make everybody better because he has the ability to be tough enough and sometimes, you know, be grouch enough to make sure that message gets across. So I'm so happy for Yang and really about Rick Monday's words mean a whole lot too.
Speaker 3: All Right, Jose, thanks for sharing. We'll see you on Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: This place will be rocking Ken don't want it any other way. Dodgers padres for the NL West. We'll see you on Tuesday.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, my friend right in front of them.
Speaker 2: All right, there he goes Jose Motive part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Pep Bee and Ningez and the great Fernando Valenzuela. You know, I'm looking back at the replay of Otani's reaction after he hit a home run. I never seen that type of emotion from him in this type of game. He has never been in this type of atmosphere, on this type of team with so much at stake, and he has risen to the occasion. He really has thrived in this winning environment with the Dodgers. It was so great to see him as he was rounding second base, screaming at the Dodger dugout.
Speaker 3: Let's go, Let's go.
Speaker 2: You don't see that type of emotion from Otani very often, and he and Mookie Betts carry the Dodgers over the finish line today in the bottom of the ninth inning back to back home runs Mooki. What a home run by him to give the Dodgers the six to five win, his first walk off.
Speaker 3: Home run as a Dodger.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get out to the phones before we hear from Steve Jeger. Let's go out to San Diego. Gilberto, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Gilberto movie, Hey can't.
Speaker 3: Get any better than this.
Speaker 2: Only time it'll get don was when the Dodgers clinched the NL West.
Speaker 7: Listen, they will do that. I mean, I saw the game today on TV and he was frustrating the first five innings. But somehow they've found a way and it's amazing that we have the best player ever, I mean in Ottani. This guy is so smart and he's having fun and he knows what is what's up now, and I really think this thing can go far because not a lot of people that give them the credit. I know, the pitsion, the starting pision is. You know, it's not what we want it to be. But somehow Dave Roberts has that team very tight and that's great. And one more thing, David, I want to thank you. I received my book.
Speaker 3: All right, congratulations, wonderful. I love it, love it. Gilberto, thanks a lot for the phone call. Yeah. Give Dave Roberts a lot of credit.
Speaker 2: He was able to manage this game with his starter yama Moto, only going three innings.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers had.
Speaker 2: Planned on allowing Yamamoto to go at least six innings. Today nobody saw this type of performance. Three innings and you're down four to nothing with yama Moto on the mound.
Speaker 3: That was not part of the plan. But the Dodger.
Speaker 2: Offense was asleep and lethargic the first six innings. They hit into a season high three double plays today. Luckily they were able to get Senstela, who was only making his second start of the season, out of this game after the fifth inning and get to that very shaky Rockies bullpen and team bullpen era of almost six the worst in baseball.
Speaker 3: So that's the plan.
Speaker 2: Get the starter out, get to that bullpen, and that's what they did today, scoring five runs in the last three innings.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to go Leada. Sean, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Sean? How are you great?
Speaker 10: Awesome? Okay, I'll get to it. Two things. First of all, you already touched on it.
Speaker 9: Keik Hernandez in the lineup today, I was a little bit oh no, man, that was like a godsend. But then secondly, going into the playoffs, I'm thinking like, do Walker Bueller and Daniel Hudson have a roster spot and does Brent Honeywell actually make it?
Speaker 10: And dark Horse get your thoughts.
Speaker 9: Probably you have something to talk about later, Tony Gonsolin, because after last night, I just don't see a way where those two guys are additive right now, maybe.
Speaker 3: Right well number one, number one.
Speaker 2: I do believe Bueller and Hudson have a spot on the playoff roster. I don't believe Honeywell does. I believe that Landon Nak has a spot on the playoff roster. And you're right. Tony Gonsolin is a very interesting name. After pitching really well yesterday for Oklahoma City, Dave Roberts said they are going to talk about whether or not he's going to make a start at Course Field next weekend, or they are going to decide whether or not Gonsolin is going to make the postseason roster or the NLDS, because remember you can change your roster every round. So just because Gonsolin's not on the NLDS roster doesn't mean they may not use him for a seven game series in the NLCS. But Tony Gonsolin's name is definitely being discussed to be part of a certain point in time in this playoff roster, whether it's the first round, the LCS or the World Series.
Speaker 9: I love that, you know, I think he's a gamer and he's you know, I don't think they'd be pushing him to come back or like get back into game action if there wasn't a chance. And then just to topple on that you'll need him for these games where these guys do go three innings. It'll be nice to have him some experience. But then secondly, I love that this upcoming series is at home and not in San Diego because it might it may force our guys to care for a change when San Diego comes to town.
Speaker 2: But you know what the biggest reason is to have these games the Dodger Stadium. The Dodger offense has the last at bat, and that's something that's very important in these games against the Padres. So I think, to me, that's the biggest reason to have The Dodgers are fortunate to have these games here. With the shaky pitching, to have the last at bat with those players is a huge advantage instead of the Padres having the last at bat against the Dodger bullpen.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I totally agree, looking forward to it. I'll be there Tuesday night, all right.
Speaker 2: Sean, look forward to seeing you out here at Dodger Stadium. Let's go out to Long Beach.
Speaker 3: Joe. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: How you doing, Joe, Hey, Dave Great.
Speaker 11: I wanted to say something to your guest, or about your guest. Steve Dieger, one of my best childhood memories was the Dodgers were trying to send off the A's at the time. I'm sorry, I fend off the Reds. I think this was seventy four. We were home against them in the late innings. Jeger hit a three to one home run to beat those guys, and the crowd Jess wouldn't stop sharing her listen on the radio with the skull, the calm, the game and the ovation just went on and on and on. But after that we never heard from the Reds again. And I always remember that.
Speaker 3: Steve Vieger, Hey, you gotta love that.
Speaker 2: Beating the big Red Machine, the Dodgers supplanting them as the kings of the NL West. When those two teams were in the same division. That was special times right there. And Rick Monday always said, the big Blue wrecking crew beat the big Red Machine.
Speaker 11: That's right, all right, Thanks Ae.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you, Joe.
Speaker 2: And speaking of Steve Jeger, yes, he was awarded the Timy lasorda Bleed Blue Dodger Award. It's the third time that they have given out that award. It started three years ago. John Shoemaker won it last year. Steve Yeger, who was a member of the Dodgers for basically his entire career except one, fifteen seasons in Major League Baseball, fourteen of them with the Dodgers, and Steve is part of a long lineage of great catchers going back to Roy Campanella, Johnny Roseboro. Those guys passed the torch to Steve Jeger and Mike Soosha, And it was great to see Steve out here with his family. And here was part of our conversation with Steve Jeger on winning such a great award named after his former manager, the great Tommy la Sorda, who was born on this date back in Norristown, Pennsylvania, on nineteen twenty seven.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, David, it it's always nice for an athlete to get an award for doing anything, But when you get an award that's named after someone that you've known for over fifty five years of your life, that's been instrumental in some of the things you've done as a player and as a person, and has such the lives as so many young men with the same dreams that we all have, the same dreams of these kids down here as we see today go on and his influence, his ability to teach you how to play the game, teach you how to be together, and to teach you what the organization really means. And there's nobody that loves the Dodgers anymore than Tommy did.
Speaker 4: No one respected more than Tommy did.
Speaker 12: And of course that just trickles down to the players and the guys that had the privilege of being.
Speaker 4: In this organization.
Speaker 12: And when you always say that when you put that uniform on at Dodger White's, it's a different uniform, it's a different feeling.
Speaker 4: And I've got that feeling. I've had that feeling and I'll continue to have that feeling.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest catchers in Dodger history, Steve Jaeger, not only loves the Dodgers, but he left body parts on the field for the Dodgers, including in nineteen seventy nine Steve Dave Parker running you over. Have you recovered from that? Can you do you remember that play? Because Rick Monday talks about it all the time.
Speaker 12: I remember the player was in Pittsburgh and now Oliver was a hitter. Parker was on second base and Olirig is a base hit in a four holes based at the right field. Reggie's out there. I see Parker. He's taking off. Reggie's going out, and I said, okay, so I'm watching Reggie, I'm watching Parker. I'm watching Reggie, I'm watching the Parker. I'm watching the ball. I'm watching Parker. I'm watching the ball. And I'm here in Parker, you know, And the Parker and the ball got to be about the same time. All I remember was one big bad collision, held onto the ball, and boog.
Speaker 4: Pow picked me up and said, I'll carry off a little buddy. But the good thing is that he was out. We won the ball game.
Speaker 12: And to show you what type of guys that those pirates were and Dave, they came in to see if I was all right between itnings.
Speaker 4: So that was a nice thing.
Speaker 2: Remarkable. You remember, it's you kidding me, Steve. Another story we've heard. You really took it personal when a ball got behind you. And in spring training there was a string section as it goes in Vero Beach, and I guess one day the pitching staff tried to challenge you that a ball wouldn't get through your legs.
Speaker 3: Do you remember that.
Speaker 4: I remember knowing.
Speaker 12: The fact is I didn't want to get a ball by me, and it was hard to get one by me because I didn't want the embarrassment and running back there and picking up in front of the fans.
Speaker 4: So I worked very hard on that. But I as far as they getting buy me, I probably challenged him, I think, and throw one by me, and I I just it's just practiced for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard, no baseball's got through you.
Speaker 4: Well, it was tough, there was something get by.
Speaker 12: But for the most part, I think that that was part of my job, was to block the balls and to throw runners out and take care of my pitching staff and take care of the defense. And the more that the little things that I can do to help them out, the better it is.
Speaker 2: I just think back to this long lineage of Dodger catchers, Roy Campanella, Johnny Roseboro, Jeff Torborg, Steve Jeger. I mean this organization. Well, he came after you, Steve, you passed the baton to him.
Speaker 4: He's still done a great job for Michael.
Speaker 12: He had a great career as a player and a great career as a manager.
Speaker 4: So he's he's I'm proud of him. I really am.
Speaker 3: Well, you were the predecessor, you were the teacher. This is awesome.
Speaker 4: I don't I know about the teacher. Buddy watched for a while. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on an award that you deserve to be celebrated by this organization that you gave everything to.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 12: I'm just grateful for the organization. And of course Laurel Assorta elected me this year for the winners, so I'm grateful, I really am.
Speaker 4: I enjoy it.
Speaker 2: What a great day at Dodgers Stadium as the Dodgers walk it off against the Rockies in a big win, and also Steve Jeger in the house to be honored on Tommy Lasorda's birthday with the Tommy la Sorta I Bleed Dodger Blue Award. Steve Jeger left it all out on the field and love hearing those stories from one of the great Dodger catchers in their franchise history. Tomorrow, the Dodgers have a day off, they will get back at it with the showdown against the San Diego Padres. First pitches at seventy ten. Our coverage begins at six o'clock. Landon Neck going up against Michael King, That'll do it for us from Dodgers Stadium. An exciting finish of course, here on the final Sunday regular season here at Chavez Ravine with the Dodgers walking it off with Mookie Betts home run his first career walk off home run as a Dodger. Our thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank studios, Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. We will talk to you on Tuesday once again. The final score from Dodgers Stadium, the Dodgers walking off.
Speaker 3: Against the Rockies six to five. Have a great rest of your Sunday, See Yu Say