Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the trib Cast for Tuesday, July fifteenth. I'm Eleanor Klibanoff Law and Politics reporter, joined as always by editor in chief Matthew Watkins.
Speaker 2: Hello, how are you doing well? Just got back last night from Mexico City.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's a that's a better location than Texas has been for the last couple of last couple of days. Much cooler, yes, yeah, temperature less humid and maybe we yes yeah. Well you know, Matthew, when you I do have a bone to pick with you, because when we discussed me becoming the law and politics reporter, I thought I had five years until I had to start caring about redistricting.
Speaker 2: Well, you know that was very naive of you.
Speaker 1: I thought the rule was every ten years, and so I thought five years from now, who knows, maybe I'll be, you know, a reclusive billionaire by then. I wouldn't have to, you know, dig in on redistricting. And now here we are. It is the middle of the decade. I have accepted this job, no takebacks, and we are getting into redistricting. So really excited to dig in on that issue today.
Speaker 3: Yes, very.
Speaker 2: Just the topic that you want to learn with like a very short notice on the fly, complicated at all.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not, which is why we're extremely excited to have a guest who knows this issue backwards and forwards. Kareem Creighton is Vice president of the Brennan Center for Justices, Washington, d C. Office, and a scholar on the intersection of law, politics, and race. During the twenty two ty redistricting cycle, he advised nearly a dozen local jurisdictions, commissions and legislative caucuses. Previously served as executive director of the Southern Coalition for Social Justice, where he hired and trained a litigation team to argue in two key jerrymandering cases before the US Supreme Court, and, most relevant to us, served as chief of staff and special counsel to the Alabama House Minority leader during a special session on redistricting. He also helped create a video game about redistricting, which we want to talk about. Kareem, thank you for joining us. Gelighted to be with you. You know, this is an issue that I know you guys think about in the middle of the decade. You guys think about this all the time, you know, Just briefly tell us a little bit about your experience in Alabama, you know, with their redistricting special session.
Speaker 3: Sure happy to do that and again thanks for having me. I am a native of Montgomery and got into this in part because redistricting in the nineteen nineties was something that changed politics in our state. So I have a tie to the place in part because a new member of the House Democratic Caucus, and this was outside of the nonpartisan work I had done, had taken over a very young member who mixed things, hadn't done districting before, took over and was thrown into a middle of a session to deal with a Supreme Court case that Alabama had to remedy. And so my commitment to him was, look, I'll work for a year, We'll work through the special session and anything else that comes up. What anything else turned into was this special session dealing with redistricting, a governor that found himself drummed out of office because of corruption, and a Senate because the prior Attorney general went into the Trump administration only to be fired. So a lot happened in that time, but the process for redistricting was one that definitely, you know, was very much Alabama on brand. I think other Southern states sort of have some of this too, but Alabama takes a particular version of doing what it wants to expite federal order. So the long and short of this story is it's a Republican supermajority that decided that it was going to ignore African American politically by the federal to remedy it, and they fought tooth and nail on doing it the way that they wanted to without public input, et cetera. There was it turned out a filibuster. We can do that in the state legislature that tried to slow it down. They got what they wanted anyway. But it was the time before the current fight about redistricting in Alabama, and it really was exactly what unfortunately, the legislative majority supermajority is keen to do, do what they want and force the federal government to tell them otherwise. And as you saw this time around in twenty twenty, I was in another capacity the offering some advice to the legislative minority, some of the same people from whom I worked before, and the Republican majority said, well, we're just going to do it the way we want and go and see us. And so they got sued and went through extra innings, and they're still fighting millions of dollars later out of taxpayer money to fight a case that they were definitely going to lose. We told them they were going to lose the day they drew these maps. But that's sort of the story of redistricting I think around the South right now, and it raises hard questions now with politics at the national level, that leads to even more uncertainty about the law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting. I mean, a special session on redistricting, an attorney general eyeing a role in the Trump administration, governor on corruption. You know, I don't think I don't know that we're going to see echoes of that here, but you know, certainly we're you know a lot of similar similar notes playing in Texas right now. So I want to sort of just briefly and go over like a brief history of redistricting, and Kareem you jump in when I get off the rails on this. You correct me, Matthew as well. I know you've covered this issue. But essentially, right every ten years we do a census in this country. Once we find out who lives where, states redraw their electoral maps. So that we have roughly the same number of people in every district. These maps are often drawn goofy, looking to accommodate, you know, a range of different goals. Starting the mid sixties, with the Voting Rights Act, there's a law basically saying you cannot, among many other things, saying you cannot draw these districts in a way that dilutes minority vote, whether that's by putting everyone in one district altogether, or by you know, diluting them so much that their vote doesn't right to the level.
Speaker 2: The idea would be, if you have a population of, say, black voters in an area in the South, you can't put all the black voters in one districting in order to make it so that you know, the amount of power is you know, only in that one legislative seat, as opposed to the grace, or spread them out into so many districts that they're so deluded that they can't be elect there, you know, a member of their choice right.
Speaker 1: And historically this is something Southern states among others, but Southern states in particular have been quite bad at drawing those maps in a way that complies with Section two of Voting Rights Act. For a long time states head to states like Texas and Alabama had to get their maps pre approved by the federal government. That's how bad they were at this. And every single time Texas has redistricted since the Voting Rights Act went into effect, at least one of their maps have been found to be not in compliance with the Voting Rights Act. That's sort of the backdrop to all of this is that. All right, so far kareem?
Speaker 3: I think so far? Are you there? I always like you have one person, one vote came to us because of a case authored by Justice Brennan, from whom the Brendan Center is name. But you're absolutely right about the general thrust of redistricting.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, So then moving on from there where we are in Texas right now. You know, we drew maps in a little bit weirdly this time around, because the census was delayed because of COVID and other reasons. We drew our maps in sort of settled on them in twenty twenty one. In Texas, the legislature draws the maps. Other states do it differently. Those maps immediately faced.
Speaker 2: Oh let me let me just pause right here for a little bit of background, Like one you know, As you mentioned, this was done in a special session as opposed to the regular session because of the census being delayed, but also it was coming in a very interesting time politically for Texas, which was we were not that far off from the Bete Rourke election in twenty eighteen, where Texas was looking like it was really trending in a much bluer direction. You had seen you know, presidential election margins go from sixteen percentage points Republican victory to nine percentage point Republican victory to six percentage points veto almost wins there. And so one of the things that lawmakers did during that session was, instead of really pushing to increase their margins in the various bodies that they drew, we're talking about congressional in this one, they went toward a more an incumbent protection map, which was essentially, you know, Texas got two new seats because of population gains, those went to Republicans, but everywhere else they sort of focused on shoring up Republican majorities so that the people in the districts and the parties in power currently there would essentially be safer as the district went on. As opposed to you know, really trying to gain three, four or five more Republican seats in that map.
Speaker 1: So it is it is a somewhat sort of this is conservative map in the not both. It is both a conservative map in that it will lead to Republicans being elected and a conservative map in terms of not putting their incumbents out on a ledge.
Speaker 2: Right, because there were circumstances, you know, you could look particularly like in the state house maps in Dallas County where it looked like maybe they got a little too greedy the last time, right, and they drew a bunch of different districts that by the end of the decade had all flipped to Democrats in a way that you know, actually in twenty twenty, people thought that Democrats might have been able, like in the lead up to that election, thought that maybe they were going to flip the House. And so, you know, I think you looked at what they were doing. If you knew Texas politics, you saw they're trying to prevent a situation where they're going to be in trouble in twenty twenty nine to twenty thirty, as opposed to let's just make these massive games. In the early part of the.
Speaker 1: Decade, right, And I mean a lot of this is happening in every state, right, Koreen. Can you talk a little bit about like every state is, no matter who, whether it's run by blue or red, is trying to draw a map that benefits their party.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, it's important to note a couple of things. One, you're right, states differ about how they draw maps. So Texas takes the more political approach, where the state legislature draws the map, and you know, if you've got the votes on your side of the aisle, you get usually what you want apps in the lawsuit. There are other states like California Arizona that actually draw maps by citizen independent commissions, and those actually tend to take a much more i think, focused conversation about what the community wants. So people come and present in a nonpartisan way, what they think the best communities are to kind of group together. And often not always, but most of the time, the states will say, and we don't incumbency or partisanship as a sort of fact that we're going to take into consideration, and those tend to draw districts that those groups tend to draw districts that are more competitive. One point. Don't mention about Texas, though, but you're right, there are some others. There are blue states that are driven by partisan you know, legislative driven maps, that do tend to produce maps that tend to favor their party. But the one thing in Texas, it's worth noting it did grow significantly, actually more than almost every other state. But it's important to note that growth wasn't uniform across the state. And the mistake to that that's easy to miss in this is that that growth came within communities of color, and it turns out that you didn't see a consummate growth, a concurrent growth in the representation of those communities in the districts that Republicans drew this time. Now, it's also fair to say the caveats one. Not all communities of color vote, you know, one way or the other, but we know where they live, and in those places where they live, you didn't see a growth in the number of districts in the way that you would have expected. So yes, it's probably fair to say, you know, Republicans didn't take the max plan that they could have drawn, but they certainly tried to take advantage of every bit of extra territory that they got because of these new districts there before do they take everything possible to know? But it is also key to know Texas is continuing to grow, and so there's always this question about drawing maps that make sense in time. A but five years, ten years from now, as you point out in Dallas, for example, you see such growth in the metro area and including right the suburban counties where you actually see drastic change and just who mix up the district that you can't necessarily cut your margins that close and expect it to perform the same way, you know, years after you draw the maps. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the key stats that opponents of the current maps point out was that ninety five percent of the state's population growth was by communities of color in Texas, but there were no new districts drawn, you know, for to represent those communities that in that time.
Speaker 1: Right, the two new districts that were drawn were in white dominated, were white dominated and Republican dominated. So as happens, almost like clockwork, right, Texas created these maps in twenty twenty one in a special session, as you said, and they face a lawsuit by a group at the time the Department of Justice, as well as a group of plaintiffs representing voters of color, saying we've been discriminated, you know, these discriminated against voters of color, and that case took, as these do, close to four years to move through the legal system, culminating in a trial last month in El Paso, where and this is important, the plaintiffs argued that these maps were drawn sort of based on race to discriminate against voters of color, and the state argued repeatedly their main point was these were not drawn based on race. They were drawn almost entirely based on partisan goals, Which brings us to, you know, a couple of weeks ago, where we start hearing rumors that the Trump administration is pushing Texas to do a rare but not unheard of mid decade redraw of the congressional maps to try to get a couple more seats in the midterm elections.
Speaker 2: The idea here being, according to reporting of you know, representing Trump's thinking, essentially that this is going to be a hard year for Republicans nationwide. There's a decent chance that Republicans will lose the House, and one way to protect themselves about doing that is drawing more Republican seats in Texas that could help help the Republicans maintain the national majority.
Speaker 1: And now, to be fair, congressional Republicans who enjoy their districts that are drawn, you know, to support their reelection not thrilled by this. According to reporting, you know, we've heard that there's been some some real anxiety about this. There was a big question about whether or not Governor Greg Abbott would take this up in the special session.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's you talked about how there's precedent for mid decade redistructing in Texas. That last time that, of course happened, was in two thousand and three. It was pushed by Tom Delay. The difference between then and now is what happened right before that two thousand and three redistructing was Republicans one control of the Texas House, which gave them more power to draw the lines as they saw fit.
Speaker 1: For the first time like in modern history.
Speaker 2: Right this time, the same people who drew the maps in twenty twenty one are in charge are in charge now, and so basically what they're being pushed to do is to change the maps that they chose for a reason, the reason that we sort of already described before incumbent protection.
Speaker 3: Long term.
Speaker 2: Of course, there have been some things that have changed, right. A lot of the growth in Texas has been as noted in communities of color in the suburbs. The most recent presidential election, a lot of those communities went a little bit to the right. They still many of them still voted Democratic, but maybe not in the same margins along the border, for example, which could possibly just the politics have changed a little bit. Right in twenty one, I think a lot of people were still thinking, right, the demographic, the racial demographics in Texas are changing in a way, particularly with the Hispanic vote, that would seem to suggest that the Texas is trending in a blue direction. I think the twenty twenty four election maybe through some of that into question, particularly with the Hispanic vote, of maybe that's not the case. Maybe the Hispanic vote is actually going to turn out to be more conservative, more rightly, more Republican than maybe people had thought in years past.
Speaker 1: Right, right, I mean, before we get into like the DOJ letter and all of that, Koreem, what do you make of this, just this push by the Trump administration to try to like get squeeze a few more, a few more seats out of Texas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is in some ways. As I say, I think you're right about it being rare, but exceedingly so, because right the story from twenty twenty twenty twenty one. Sorry, yes, the last time around, Sorry I've lost track a few years now, it was that Republicans had taken over, but the plan that they were undoing was a plan drawn by courts, and this is one, as you rightly point out, that was drawn by the very people who are actually trying to redraw it now. Looking for the Trump administration to be asking them to do this, it definitely means that they see the risk. And it's kind of odd because if you're looking at this, I just did a rough tally of the members currently serving in Congress from Texas. You're about twenty four or so. The thirty eight members who are Republicans, more than half of them, close to like fifteen of them are in there at a most their second term of office. That means that they were the beneficiaries of the readon that was done last time around, and as you rightly point out, there's a real risk to those people if it get their districts jumbled and frankly, to get more seats anywhere, you're going to have to radically change a lot of lines. This isn't just a surgical adjustment here or there. And so for those people, you're asking them to appeal to an entirely different electorate then before, probably not with a lot of money, probably with the winds not flowing at their backs. So that's a real challenge. I think the bigger question for the question about why the administration is pushing this just now sort of raises a weird uh. I think possibility that if they think they've got to squeeze this much out to get one or two seeds, do they think that they can operate for another two years of this term with just a majority in Congress of one or two seats. I mean, it's a big risk. And of course, even if they get what they want out of Texas, it's probably going to lead to some sort of lawsuit. And so then the question is is there going to be some doubt in the one or two seats that are in the House of Representatives If you know this happens nationwide where people are picking off seats hoping to kind of preserve the majority that they want. It's really I think it's not the best way of forging national policy, but it may for them be their only way out of continuing the process that they have. And I guess said the other that they set forth in terms of policy. The only other thing I'd offer here is thinking about where the electorate is since R twenty twenty one January fifteen, or yeah, even more so since the last election. You know, we've had a lot of policies that a lot of people say that they weren't anticipating, even people who voted for their president. So I think the question if you're thinking from the state's perspective, how to craft a map that's going to perform the way that you do. You're five years out from the last census. You're also in a really volatile time about where voters are and just how they think about the president, how they think about the state leadership, etc. You're playing a big gamble. I can't remember if gambley is legal in Texas, but it's a.
Speaker 2: Real question very much is not famously.
Speaker 3: Not in Alabama either, But yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, and you probably haven't seen this because it was tweeted out by Jake Sherman right before we sat down to record. But President Donald Trump, according to Jake Sherman's reports, told Republicans on a call today House Republicans that the GOP will seek five new red seats in the midterm reistructing effort in Texas. Right now that the number is twenty five to thirteen. If they sought five new seats, that would be thirty to eight, which you know, I mean, Texas is a very red state. It is not that red of the state, firstly geographically exactly. I mean, that suggests to me that they would be taking a huge risk both politically and legally and trying to get that across well.
Speaker 1: And I think, like, I mean, to your point, Kareem, these are not there's not so much as like you can't do this so easily that you can say, well, we'll make this one person a little bit more vulnerable, but make this person.
Speaker 2: Not as well.
Speaker 1: Like this is a wholesale redrawing that you're talking about that could result in making I mean, could potentially.
Speaker 3: Be a house of cards.
Speaker 1: Right, you can get overconfident, you weaken everyone. And I mean, certainly you know Texas is a red state. But like the urban centers remain very blue. There are some limitations to how tightly you can draw this.
Speaker 2: Matt, Yeah, And I think it's just worth pointing out that if you talk to Republicans privately right now, a lot of them feel this risk too. You know, I'm sure there are people who think this is a good idea Republicans. I have not talked to any of them.
Speaker 1: And if you're outside of Texas or you are you know, more on like the net looking nationally short, like, let's take a risk and see if we can get a couple more seats. If you're a text in sort of, I mean, if you certainly hold a district, but also if you are thinking like you know, I like the person who represents me. I would hate to lose them to a Democrat. Like why do you care about this risk? I mean we should say, like there is huge upside to President Trump of getting even you know, one or two more seats and holding onto that majority. And we talked about the legal threat of course, like this these new maps will be challenged in court. We will likely have another election before that. I mean there's a question of like, are we doing this so close to the next election that it could potentially if they can delay it just long enough. But realistically, the big threat is vote, you know how people vote, more than I think the legal threat of it getting blocked in time.
Speaker 2: But can we talk a little bit about the changing legal climate in which this will happen in right, because I think it now seems like maybe this trial that we went through could possibly be moot. Maybe I'm wrong about that. You can please tell me if I am. But if there's a new district what the judges said, did they even? Yeah? But I mean the legal arguments were a bit different this time than they have been in the past, and I believe that's because of a couple of Supreme Court cases that have happened since the last time Texas redistricted. Can you tell us a little bit about just what has changed since the last time? I guess since the the twenty eleven maps were drawn and we went through that whole legal process.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, and thank you that was the years sort of you know, at some point together we look at this eventually discourses. But yeah, since twenty eleven, right, we had a very different Supreme Court. That's the sort of first thing to say, because that really if you think of who was on the court then versus now. The folk from on the court in the twenty eleven was Justice Kennedy. He is no longer on the court. Interestingly, he was the one that despite deciding that there shouldn't be a constitutiontional bar to mid dec eight redistricting, they said, Texas can do that if it wishes. It did. That is the court, driven by Justic Kennedy, find a Section two violation in Texas's map which required Texas to go back and do the work anyway, so right, achieving in without the you know, kind of broad legal theory that at least the plaintiffs had asked for. Just Kennedy is no longer there, And in fact, you've got a radically different court than it used to be, one that has six members that are considered quite conservative, three of whom are appointed by this current president. And so since that time, though, before you even get to you know, what this court might do, even given its differences, you've got changes in the law. You've got Justice Kennedy never let it be forgotten that, you know, took us on the path about understanding potential claims that might exist on partisan Jerry mandering only to say in one of the cases, you know, I sort of had involvement in to say, oh, we don't think that there's a constitutional limit in partisan jerry mandering. And by the way, I'm retiring. So he leaves the court to say, right, oh yeah, this tease of like power having actual leverage to stop partisenteria manager, he says, he goes away the same time. We have, as you all suggested earlier, more effort. In the assault on the Voting Rights Act, Justice Kennedy joined a majority written in a case written by Chief Justice Roberts, saying that Section five of the of the Voting Rights Act has you know, significant problems and therefore can't continue to be in force. So it lets places like Alabama and Texas off the hook to say you review to have your maps drawn. So that opens the door to what you offered about Texas's justification now for its maps. A, we can draw what we want because we don't have to get permission before we put it in place. B when we do get challenge. If we do get challenge, it'll be years after we get new people in office, and we'll be able to say it was partisanship. It wasn't race, and so we find ourselves in a space where it's a lot more hostile than it used to be. Here's the extra little touch that you get in the current era. We now have cases that try to pull back the what I think was a sort of sham of an argument that again Justice Kennedy, I'm going to get back on him, doesn't get enough criticism for this dance that he did. He said, well, I'm going to vote to get rid of for the moment, Section five. But worry not, there's Section two litigation that you can go to court improve cases of discrimination to stop bad plans. Well, notwithstanding the fact that it takes a lot of time and money to get that done, we now have an assault actually that the Fifth Circuit, where Texas is located, is perfectly involved in. That says, well, we're now going to ask whether or not it's even within our understanding of the Voting Rights Act to allow private parties to sue to vindicate their rights against discrimination. Now, I will tell you from the get go, in nineteen sixty five, nobody in that place, including people who disagreed with the Voting Rights Act, would have agreed that only the Justice Department could bring lawsuits, surely they are one of the parties they could, But the idea was to have private attorneys general throughout the country to be able to say, on behalf of voters, here's what we think is a violation of the right against discrimination. And that has been the law since nineteen sixty five. Only now because of the case at starting in the Eighth Circuit, the Fifth Circuit has now agreed with sort of this argument that well, maybe we should rethink whether or not private parties should bring their claims. This actually would pull the entire rug under from under the Section two litigation strategy, because it leaves only the Justice Department, which we now know has gutted its voting rights section except apparently to protect white voters. That's another conversation for another day, but that if that's the only place that you can get any kind of relief, you're limiting work to the number of people that are available to pull these lawsuits together and a political will to pursue them. That's now really what Texas among other states, is now arguing that the Court should actually consider seriously. And I think it's an open question because we don't yet know what those six members of the Court are gonna say about again something that even when he was writing, Justice Thomas never really talked about that, and he wasn't a fan of the Voting Rights Act. But we just have to see what happens. But it's a really scary time if you're thinking about what we all expected to be one of the sort of bedrock foundational principles of civil rights law that's now being pulled from under us. And again, I take it back to this I think empty promise that came from Justice Kennedy when he told us that, well, the Voting Rights Act still remains a valid tool of enforcement because you have Section two. There's an open question as to whether we will right.
Speaker 1: And I mean one of the cases I think you're referencing is this the Pedaway v. Galveston County case at the Fifth Circuit, which plays a big role in this current issue with the DJ also speaking of the DOJ, sort of political will you know, as I was saying, like this was such a this was very much a political question of will Governor Greg Abbott take up the President Trump's pressure to redistrict in this special session that sort of got an added layer of legal cover in last week, Last time is a cruel mistress. Last Monday, the Department of Justice issued a letter to Texas informing them that four of their districts for their congressional districts were unconstitutional. Three of them because their coalition districts, meaning you know, the minority groups are represented by the majority of the minority groups are from different minority groups. They put together different minority groups to create a majority minority district. That's possibly the most confusing explanation. Google coalition districts if that wasn't clear. And then the fourth district was sort of created because of two of those coalition districts. And so they said these are unconstitutional, under citing this Pedaway v. Galveston County case from the Fitth Circuit and basically directing Texas to redraw their maps because it's unconstitutional. Texas then Governor Greg Abbott said, you know, in light of these constitutional concerns, I'm going to add redistricting to the special session call. And this raised a lot of questions for a lot of people. The plaintiffs in the ongoing El Paso case feel like Texas has contradicted itself because they argued in their you know for a month of trial that these lawsuits, I'm sorry that these districts were drawn on race blind grounds, they did not consider race, and that the state of Texas has long held that coalition districts are not sort of a justifiable way to draw a map. So they felt like now Texas was sort of acquiescing or surrendering to the government's argument. Texas came back and said, essentially, we don't believe these maps were drawn on race. You know, they were drawn on race blind grounds, but we also would like to redraw them. And you know, adding something to a special session call is not the same as agreeing with it. Of course, Governor Ibbit saying in light of constitutional concerns, sort of there's a little bit of muddy water here, but either way, these you know, gives them an opportunity to redraw these maps.
Speaker 3: I just offered, Yeah, what's silly about this, and really quite rare is for the Department of Justice to weigh in and pronounce something un constitutional that hasn't been ruled on by the Supreme Court of the United States. This is one panel of a circuit, one circuit in the country, and they've given a take that by the way right flips their own precedent on this topic. It seems weird that the right, the State of Texas, right, the sovereign State of Texas, would all of a sudden find it absolutely necessary to follow what is less than a complete or final statement of what the law is that comes from a justice department that you know, again interprets voting rights law. That's you're not going to hear that every day, So you know, you do sit and wonder whether the fix is in on sort of an understanding or winkin or nod about how they want to open the door to this sort of redrawn But it is quite rare to see the Justice Department way in to make such broad pronouncements. None of this has been settled, and in fact, there's plenty of belong on the other side that says there's nothing unconstitutional about creating a district where people of color happen to be the majority of the population, particularly in a say, jurisdiction like Houston, where the population actually looks like the districts that were drawn. So it's an interesting dynamic where you see again the dance between the state all you know, all of a sudden, thinking well, clearly if the federal government told us to do what we have to where that's never been anything in state of Texas or for that matter, Alabama has sort of stopped in its tracks to say, well, we've got to rethink this thing because the federal government has suggested something to the contrary, even frankly, when the Supreme Court has told them to do it.
Speaker 2: Right, I want to take step ask a big picture question here, right, because one of the things that's sort of happening, particularly in the South, but not only in the South, I guess, is that there is a strong racial dynamic to our politics right the you know, in in the South, the Republican Party is overwhelmingly white, Black voters overwhelmingly vote Democratic. Hispanic voters have been a little bit shifting back and forth, right. But I'm just curious kind of how you think through this idea of you know, Texas, in this lawsuit, whether they're now making this case in the past, made the argument that they made their decisions based on how to draw the lines based on politics and not race.
Speaker 1: Specifically Attorney General Ken pax And saying we drew these to make America great again.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And how I wonder if you could just talk a little bit about that kind of how difficult it is to sort of separate those two things, and has it become more difficult for plaintiffs in these cases seeking to overturn these maps to make the case that, whether it's political or not, you are diluting the power of black voters of Hispanic voters by drawing the districts these ways.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, let me start with the news flash. Politics in the South has always something to do with race. I know you're going to be shocked to hear that. It's just the fact of life, right. What that effect is and how it kind of plays out in policy, that's a different conversation. But I think one of the challenges you're rightly pointing out is, Look, the law is really messy when it comes to thinking about that truth that politics and race. It particularly in the South, I think, frankly everywhere to some degree, but in the South it's most pronounced because every you know, you name me the policy, I'll trace back to some narrative that sort of shows the way in which race has figured into why the policy was drafted or why the policy had to change. That's no less true with redistricting than anything else. The law unfortunately has sort of given us this fiction to suggest that one can either turn off the sort of racial lens or only think about partisanship in a world where we know, like think back to the Texas white primaries. We call them white primaries for a reason, right, it had a political consequence. There was only you know, one party in town where you actually had the opportunity to elect a candidate, but it was only allowed that whites participating in it. And the court told us in you know, the nineteen thirties to the fifties, that's illegal or unconstitutional. The same is true here. But because our law sort of treats them as different categories partisanship and race, it forces, in some ways lied against to kind of frame arguments and theories around a world where it's only thinking about X or y, when in fact they're together. The complicated part of this comes forward in these cases called the racial gerrymanderin cases where the court is presented with this claim that, well, the state took race too much into account. What too much is we don't know, but the court has told us if you draw really weird lines, and the only way that you can explain it is race, then that's unconstitutional. Even in the nineteen nineties where Justice Kennedy was around, he was presented with cases where I could give you a compelling argument for why partisanship was the result that drove the crafting of those maps just as much as race were. Because African Americans do vote very heavily for Democrats, and whites in most of the South tend to vote Republican, there's an instance where that gets more pronounced than others, and those are the places where discrimination becomes the most volatile, I think factor to take account of where you see crossover with white sometimes voting Democrats and sometimes voting Republicans, or as you point out, Hispanics moving one way or the other, that might be a lot more complicated. But where polarization is sort of the name of the game, that's you're not going to be able to divorce those two. And I think in Texas, depending on where you are in the state, you can make much more of a claim about polarization based on race than anything else. And so in some ways it's a bit of a fiction to try to sort of distill those but the law requires us to do it, and I think that's why Texas is in the ridiculous position now of trying to make the argument that oh, yeah, it was all a party. It was like, well, if you look at your you know, Republican roster, you're not seeing many people of color. And so then the question gets to one that I think is most relevant, which is where's the growth in the state and are we seeing a consummate uptick in growth of you know, districts where people from those communities can direct opportunities for who gets elected versus others, and if you're not seeing that, and I think Texas this is a key case of it, particularly where you've seen cities crafted like you know, the city of Austin, I don't need to tell you has been you know, sliced in dice, you know, within an inch of its leagh. But that's all in service to keeping a majority of supermajority the way that it is. But that doesn't change the growth in the in the jurisdiction. I think that's the key thing to be thinking about, and where that growth is is with people of color?
Speaker 1: Can I ask? Because I think there's also an argument on the right that's like, you know, the voting Rights Act was important. It was important during you know, Jim Crow, during the civil rights movement. Are we just going to have this go on forever?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And like what do you sort of say to that, to the idea that, you know, maybe this has served its purpose and we can all move on into post racial America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll just add on there. One of the things they make in their document cases, they make in their documents around this lawsuit is that the Texas legislature in twenty twenty three was forty percent, to use their term, non white right, which is significantly more diverse than the US Congress.
Speaker 3: It is. And you know, it's funny that, right, the result of that map is due to voting rights enforcement. So it's kind of weird to make the argument, as they did in the Shelby County case that undid the Section five of the Voting Rights Tech. Well, look around you. The world is much more diverse. We don't need this anymore. And you know, Justice Ginsburg made the quite the strong argument that, unfortunately was in the descent. When you're arguing that, you know, the evidence that you're dry is evidence that you don't need an umbrella in the middle of a rain storm, and that's sort of, you know, silly thinking. But I think the best evidence of this is just looking at the way in which polarization as expressed in politics plays out and where you're seeing instances, and you're seeing it in plenty of parts of Texas where people of color are voting one way and they never find common purpose with white people who vote in an entirely different way. That means that our politics aren't the kind of coalition building adventures that we would expect, and where we're even going after districts that look like coalitions are sort of the name of the game. It really raises a question about whether or not it's that you know, kind of moment where we think everybody's come together and decided to look on issues outside beyond race, or at least in concert with other considerations. That doesn't seem to be the politics as it's been played out in Texas right now.
Speaker 2: I wonder another thing just to side from this brief is that the state, citing the twenty twenty four Supreme Court case Alexander versus South Carolina State Conference of NAACP, they say, basically, the state is entitled to a powerful presumption of good faith right when if you can't, you know, if you don't have the strong proof either way, you assume that the state is doing the right thing. Here, we are going into this term where it looks like there's a pretty good chance that they're going to redraw these maps. There is also a lot of evidence sort of just out there in the world that the political motivations of this, or that the motivations of this are political, you know, wanting to hold on to the twenty twenty six US House in term elections. What do you see like moving forward here? Do you see this because of the legal climate we are in right now? Do you see it as even if they do dramatically redraw these districts, do you see it being difficult for plaintiff's civil rights groups and everything's to fight these maps, to overturn these maps in the future.
Speaker 3: Right It's a really good question. I would in fact tie this in some ways to the prior question you asked, what does it mean to be in a place where you don't need a voting rights Act? What we have right now? The case that you mentioned in Alexandria is a court that seems to basically say, yeah, we shouldn't question without a lot of compelling evidence, the sort of good faith of state legislatures. Now you know that's in the face of a lot of evidence suggesting to the countrary that they weren't acting in good faith. But the deeper question is, if a state is acting in good faith, shouldn't you expect that the state be able to show and prove what they're doing. Shouldn't there be an open process that's where you see what goes in, Who gets to present our arguments about why districts should be a certain way, and you have people explain themselves. That's exactly the opposite of what states like Texas engaged in and their drawing of maps. At best, you'll have a hearing, but it's a very quick hearing where people sit in, they show up, they see a map, they vote on the map, and that's done. You don't get public input. You don't hear who behind the scenes gave advice about what to do and why all that stuff. Because of decisions that have been reached by a lot of the federal courts at present, including in the Fifth Circuit, have walled off that information from plaintiffs. And to my view, I mean we say this in other context, if you don't have anything to hide, why not show it. This is a public proceeding that's supposed to benefit the public. Right now, we're in a world where in a lot of these cases, the state legislature has been entitled to some crafted privilege that isn't contained anywhere in the constitution that will prevent plaintiffs in these Section two lawsuits from just even seeing who is in the room with you. Not only did you get the elected member get the ability to shield yourself from scrutiny in a lawsuit, anybody you talk to would also be if the courts get their way here, and that actually counteracts any suggestion that good faith should be. In fact, this should be exactly the place where in any other place in the law, we would be really skeptical of taking at face value what the state says after the fact. So, to my mind, you would expect to see more open processes, more engaged public comment, and actual explanation, which, by the way, is what exactly happens when independent commissions draw maps. But the state legislature could do this as well. But when they don't, it defies logic to me to expect that we should just take what you say is the reason you drew the map without any evidence at face value. But that's what Texas basically is.
Speaker 1: Arguing now, and certainly probably all of that is not going to be improved by, you know, the speed at which they're going to have to move through this process in this special session.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just want to veer back into the politics very quickly here, because I think it's also worth asking the question will Democrats participate in this process? Right? So folks will remember from two thousand and three or you know, other times where Democrats have left the state in order to break quorum and make it so it would be impossible to pass these maps. When I was in San Antonio a few weeks ago speaking with two Democratic lawmakers at a Tributne event, I asked them this, and they both very strongly, strongly hinted, you know, I see no reason why Democrats would ever even participate in this process. Well, what is in it for them? It's interesting though, this is a I don't think anyone is happy that this has happened. But the situation has changed since then because we had these catastrophic floods in Texas. Those have also been added to the special special Special Session call both flood relief and also like what can we do to protect these communities going forward. There's all of a sudden now something here in this special Session call that Democrats are going to really feel like they need to be a part of and make sure they can get through, which in some ways hands Republicans a big bit of leverage here in terms of how they kind of get this across. It's just another sort of interesting thing to watch as this process unfolds.
Speaker 1: Right and certainly, I mean I've heard from some Democrats who say, well, the governor could do a lot of this on flood relief just himself through executive Well he's not. He's put it on the call, like you know, they're going to have to be there if they want to, you know, not sort of be forever painted with this brush of like not supporting the flood relief exactly. Yeah, so I do think that is like a layer even no one else was, you know, no one could have predicted. Of course, that has really amplified all of this. Yeah, well special Session starts twenty first, you know, a little less than a week from today, expecting a big redistricting fight on that's going to involve you know, all levels of government straight up to the President, and a lot of eyes on that really really want to thank you Kareem for joining us. This was a great conversation. You can find the Trip Cast everywhere you get your podcasts. Our producers are Rob and Chris and we will be back next week.