Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome the Deep Blue Sea the podcast. I am Mark Sushi Halfmeyer.
Speaker 2: I am Jay Cooking with Gunpowder cloer to welcome your board. Deeply see the podcast on this show, whip into the entire Deep Blue Sea trilogy, scene by scene, but again with only wonderful guests, because we just love talking about this film so much, and this is deep. We see one chapter thirty two. What happens in Deep We see one chapter two. Let's have a listen.
Speaker 3: It's stuck to the shark. Carter has dragged a long underwater. As the shark heads to the hole in the fence, he grabs the metal. As the shark passes through, it's torn from its side of the tower. Creature connects the cable to the battery and feels the shark.
Speaker 2: Underwater.
Speaker 3: Cawter watches the shark explode just outside the aquatica barrier and it's blown backwards by the explosion. On the surface and plume of water and shark pure and rup to the sky. Preacher celebrates that looks mournful in the distance. Tata surfaces alive. Preacher sees him and smiles.
Speaker 4: Corner, Hey, what is the sushi.
Speaker 3: Harta swims back without any sushi. Preacher helps him up onto.
Speaker 4: The platfor forty five foot shark and you hit me nice.
Speaker 2: It could have been worse. I could let him eatch ass. Carter sits with his legs in the water.
Speaker 1: Hey, Cora, we've seen here, right yep.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you something. Are you sure it was just three sharks?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, go gently lists his legs out of the water.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 2: That's more like it. And that was deep See one chapter thirty two short chapter. This week we have a guest who second time in the show. First time time. I did see it the last time. He was on to talk with me about the Haunted submarine movie Below. Good movie was a great movie and one of our most downloaded episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, EPI nice.
Speaker 4: Is.
Speaker 1: It's a good movie and there's not much out there about it, so I think people were like, I love Below. No one talks about it, and like, oh I found an episode and they go listen to Below. That's It's not a smart theory, but I've had that on movie somes and flicks before, where I put a move like never back down and it does great because I don't think there's anything else out about it, so that that's my theory. I think it's a good movie and a rare episode about it, so it's cool.
Speaker 2: I agree. And the person who jowed me to talk about it from the movie Mustache was Simon Appleton. Simon, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me. It's great to be back.
Speaker 2: Had to introduce you before Marcus started another little speech.
Speaker 1: Sees when I take a breath and then jump something in there real quick, Mark, I.
Speaker 4: Was thinking about one of your most downloaded episodes. I mean that's like, wow, I've never heard that said about me ever.
Speaker 1: So all right, legend DBS legend.
Speaker 2: Over here and it's it's it's because it's one of those titles. But you just the word below is used in It's not like tied to that film. It's a frequent word. Yeah, it's it's not it's not like you were on Why can't I think of a like the abyss Abyss is not a word as often used as much as below or anyway. But yeah, but I think it must be your magnetic personality. And then talking about the absolutely people, Yeah, it's it's it's up there. I think it's still so Simon deep thoughts history love it as well.
Speaker 4: Obviously, Well, I I when you asked me to be on to discuss below, I actually rewatched Deep Blue Cy for the first time. Did twenty odd years. I haven't seen it since it first came on Sky Cinema. So we were talking not no Sky Movies, because it was it was Sky Movies back in the day, and it was yeah, yeah. So I watched it then and hadn't watched it for all those years, and suddenly thought, I'm being invited onto a podcast where they talk about Deep Blue Sea a lot. I should probably watch this movie and try to remember something about it.
Speaker 2: You're surprised how many people don't do that.
Speaker 4: It's movies and research, and it's like that sounds in my wheelhouse. Yeah yeah, movies watching movie. Yeah I can do that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, preach, preach. Yeah. I love it, And.
Speaker 4: I actually was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I remember saying to you Jay, I actually really enjoyed its it. It's hard to explain, but it just it works as a movie. It's ridiculous, but there are parts of it that are actually believable. I actually wrote in my notes prepping for this the Hubris is real and it's like, yeah, yeah, that is what makes it work is because you can believe that people would be that's stupid and try to hide it because of especially where where they're coming from, the growing up of a parent with dementia and wanting desperately to cure that. Yeah, and I think, and then of course you throw it into this creepy submarine pen in the middle of the ocean, which looks really really good. There's so many practical sets and effects, and there's some rubbery CGI. But it was nineteen ninety nine, you know, that was the time of robbery CGI. So no, I actually really enjoyed it. And when you message me again, I went in search of it and was like, I'm buying it this time because I loved last time.
Speaker 2: I asked what format did you buy it on?
Speaker 4: I did buy it on Amazon Prime. Okay, it wasn't a physical copy, but I looked it up and I thought, yep, that's uh. I'm buying it this time because I enjoyed it, and I watched it the other night, and then after finishing the film, watched the chapter specifically that we're talking about tonight, three times over just to get my full thoughts on it.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: So your your site is the movie mustache, and I we should start with we get Preacher's mustache is in this is in this chapter. It's not a thick, it's not a prominent mustache, but it's there. And I just want to get your thoughts. Where where does this sit in the pantheon of movie mustaches? What does what does Preachers kind of? It's it's trimmed, it's neat, it's small, but it's it's it's there.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a more specific question, where does it stand in creature feature mustaches?
Speaker 2: Okay, sure, a trickier question.
Speaker 4: Definitely, question I did appreciate give, given that the rest of them is, shall we say, a bit scruffy, even before the been through a underwater lab starts sinking into the Pacific.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: I did appreciate the neatness and the care taken to cultivate such a mustache. And it's very cool Jay as well, It's very it works with his his his looks and his charming features.
Speaker 1: You know, there's not many mustaches and creature features.
Speaker 2: I'm racking my brains.
Speaker 1: Alien can't like Predator? No, does anyone have mustash and King Kong.
Speaker 2: Sam Elliott creature feature.
Speaker 4: Blaine's got a mustache and Predator. He does because he ain't got time to bleed, but he does have time to trim the mustache. It's very important.
Speaker 1: Andy has a good stashing King Kong and we all know what happens to him.
Speaker 2: He does. See there's there's the Sam Elliott film Frogs from the seventies. He doesn't have a mustache in it. He's mustacheless. I haven't seen it yet. Something that's will cover it one day, but not this year. That's Amphibians since the rep tell you. But like I can't think. Is there a Tom Senek creature feature? Is there a Burt Reynolds creature feat?
Speaker 1: But what about Bert from Tremors? Tremors? Yeah, Bert, he has a mustache in the first one he does. That's a sweet stash.
Speaker 4: M hmmm.
Speaker 1: Have you ever watched that movie Safe Men?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, it's with Mark Ruffalo, Sam Rockwell, Paul Giamati. He plays a guy called Veil Chap and they're a fake band who are mistaken. They're like a wedding band who get mistaken for robbers and with the mafia people and they have to do some missions. But people look at Mark Ruffalo and they're like, they're like sweet Stash, and he always goes, thanks bro, but like in a very Mark Ruffalo voice. So when I talk about Bert and Tremor's, I'm gonna say sweet Stash from Safe Men. Just let everyone know he's putting that out there in the world. I would love.
Speaker 2: We have to keep an eye out for mustaches and creature features as we go forward. There must be others. There has been a mustache in the Jurassic franchise.
Speaker 1: Has Wolford Brimley ever been in a creature feature?
Speaker 2: I mean the thing is kind of a creature feature. Yeah, and that's that's the Wolford Brimley film. I know he's in Cocoon, wasn't he as that's one of the two.
Speaker 1: That was really quick Jay. Oh, but he doesn't have a mustache. And the thing, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: What is it with famous mustaches in creature features not having a mustache?
Speaker 1: I don't want to be confused with the creature like Tom Selleck stars and you know Monster and then he shaved his stash for it. Just what happened?
Speaker 2: Mustache?
Speaker 4: Know why? But I'm now thinking of that. The twin actors who are in Terminated too, they both play the security guard. Sure, yeah, I don't know why, but that just sprang in my head. And that's not even a creature feature. That's robots and sci fi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Tom said, is in Runaway, which is robots and sci fi. I think I haven't seen one. I'm trying. In the Descent, Dave definitely should should have had a mustache in three, but he didn't, but his characters should have had a mustache. I feel like that this is this is We've opened a whole one away. It's gonna be a whole years long, year years long. There must be a mustache in the Sharknader films, but I don't think.
Speaker 1: Can we do that? Can we? Is there a mustache?
Speaker 2: Will do?
Speaker 4: How deep?
Speaker 2: Is there a mustache? Yeah? I mean I had to start to Preacher in the Chatter because he is incredible in this scene. I know we love it in general, but I just I can't take my eyes off everything he does in this two minute sequence. Like the Great Teeth, Electric Shock is perfect, the celebration when the bomb goes off, the look of remorse he realizes the bomb went off Carter and then his eyes lighting up when he sees Carter. He throws in a couple of jokes, a sigh of relief when he helps cut her out of the water, but he's still like wincing in pain because he's injured all over. And that was perfect in this scene. And it's no one. Day's everyone's favorite character because he's just the best. He's great.
Speaker 1: That's a million dollar smile when he realizes Carter's still alive. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know. I should let my daughter watch this smile because she's just forgotten how to smile because she just goes cheese. But she looks really angry when she does it. She goes cheez. It just looks sort of hardcore. So all her photos just look like she's yelling, you know, like a hardcore lyrics. So I should show her this and be like, no, that's how you say smile.
Speaker 2: You's gonna pretend you've blown up your friend, but he's alive. He's ready alive. You think you've killed him, but you haven't.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you just blow up a gentically modified shark, but you think you might have blown up your friend because you shot a spear into his leg. But after all the massive explosion, you're all bummed out. But guess what, your buddy comes out of the seat and you're happy. She'd be like, oh cool, dad, what.
Speaker 4: And then years later she will be watching that film with her friends, thinking what's this movie and then go.
Speaker 1: Oh, that'd be amazing.
Speaker 2: Should be subconsciously grinning and shouldn't know why.
Speaker 1: Smiling every time I see this man, there's something weird, like there's just I don't really I don't know why. But whenever I hear you know, like, just smile whatever. Whatever Mind Hunters is on, I just smile.
Speaker 2: Whatever Hollow h two was on. Just constant grinning.
Speaker 1: It's like some insidious stuff. I bring over lynn Shay and I convince her to smile whenever she sees lcol Jay.
Speaker 2: Then it's any given Sunday. It's just my favorite film. Thank you so happy.
Speaker 4: You got the n c I S Los Angeles box set.
Speaker 2: Richter's grit When Americon comes on TV, it's kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Dad, I've been I've been in front of the TV for three days. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I faced that so much.
Speaker 4: God stop smiling.
Speaker 1: I have to bring lynnha back to wipe her memory from Llo cool J. But then we get to watch everything over again. One. I mean, imagine being able to watch n C I, s l A again with a clean man.
Speaker 2: Neither has anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have thirty years. And now he's doing a New York one.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, big naval in New York Harbor, isn't there?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? I mean you know what, if you can do mcas New York, that makes sense. But they'll probably shoot it in Toronto.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We don't know. A show called something Boston Blue, but I know most of it shoots in Toronto and they just do exteriors in Boston because it's too expensive with all the permits.
Speaker 4: So I gave up on the Blue Bloods. Yeah, I gave up on that years ago. So it's reached the point of it. Okay, So it's the same as last week. There's the dinner. Oh, that guy's dead. Oh okay, the guy in uniform, he's got some uniform police stuff to deal with, right, Yeah, now there's another dinner. Oh, they all go to Dad because you know, oh, dad's not their granddad. Okay, and yet now we sold the case and yeah, ann if.
Speaker 1: I could if I was an actor and I could pick one TV show to be a regular on for every single episode, it would be Blue Blood because you're just all right, table scene, cools to the table, do your coverage, go home to your family, make bank on syndication. I would blue Blood it.
Speaker 4: I watched I watched an interview with Charlie Sheen not so long ago, and he was talking about what it's like to be on a show like that, and his dad said the same thing about The West Wing was you start off with you get your scripts, you're looking at it. Oh great, there's a great scene. Oh yeah great, there's a great scene. And then you get to season five or season four and it's like, oh yeah, great, I could have a day off.
Speaker 2: I listened to the West Wing Weekly podcast and you hear about dou Da Hill will always try and be positioned on the edge of the frame so that he could just be like he could duck out. I'm not like Sam Jackson does a bunch in deeper Ze. He goes and plays golf two dayslocked out for the day he's done.
Speaker 1: You'll be even better if you're in Blue Bloods and you're in every episode, but you're not at the table, so consistent paycheck and you don't have to study at the table for twelve hours doing coverage.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'd like to be on something like a medical show like The Pit or whatever, wait, where I'm just a patient who is in a coma. So I'm just asleep every episode. I'm in a coma all day, and it's a fifteen hour day. I'm a coma all time. I'm just getting paid to nap in the background.
Speaker 1: For the entire season.
Speaker 4: Just repeater Griffin The Family Guy where he's the corpse in I think it was Laura and Order or something, and halfway through the scene he just starts scratching his crotch underneath.
Speaker 2: The Oh yeah, yeah, I played.
Speaker 1: A dead Okay, well what was I Hunger Games? But the ad set me up in a way where I was bent up in a weird position, so I kept cramping every time they would come down, and then he would just laugh about it, and then my foot fell asleep. But I mean I got paid double, so that was cool, very important question for you, Simon. I was recently on Band of Brothers minute with Rob and and I love it. It's probably one of my favorite things ever, top three things ever, probably like Return of the Jedi Deep Blue Sea, band of Brothers. Maybe Planet Earth and then Earth goes stupid that's five. I don't care. But Donny Walburg's incredible. His narration is perfect, He's he's fantastic in it. But there's a scene where he's eating, and it's the worst acting eating I've ever seen in my life. Well, no, it's not as bad as like Big Bang Theory or other things like that, but it's bad and it's it took me out of the scene. Does he get better at fake eating? And Blue Bloods?
Speaker 4: Do they ever actually eat the food? And Blue Bloods? I just thought it sat there festering under studio lights.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I've never watched it.
Speaker 4: I did hear that because they put the real food out and then obviously they like you say, they're filming the scene all day and they got the big hot studio likes. Apparently the meat especially starts to get really bad towards the end of the day because it's just festering.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just want to know if he's gotten better at eating on screen.
Speaker 4: I have I'm sure they just avoid the food as best they can.
Speaker 1: You don't want to like two days off for food poisoning every week.
Speaker 4: Which I didn't know. It is a trend here.
Speaker 1: Speaking of food poisoning, what if Carter came back with sushi and the ending of the movie it's just the two of them, like a medium shot of them with a giant slab of meat like in water World, just eating, and the credits roll over their face.
Speaker 4: But doesn't count as sushi. Technically it's been kind of cooked. I actually wrote this down. Doesn't count as sushi because it's technically been at least partly cooked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I looked into both these things. Firstly, you can't have shark sushi because it's got yurea all through it, which starts to decompose immediately after being killed. So it would needs to be even fresher than this shark would be to be okay, do you eat it? You basically need to eat it whilst it's alive or it's bad for you. But also, you can't cook something with an explosion. I did. I did extensive Google searching. It's like, can you cook things with an explosion? And everything's like no, if it's hot enough to fully cook the food, it's gonna have disintegrated it. It won't exist anymore, or it'll be thrown with such if it's or like a big explosion will throw the food so far away that you don't have it anymore. It's just in the distance, it's on the horizon, it's sailing across the sea. So no, Basically I was really hoping, like I was having to find a video of people like cooking with dynamite, like you know, dynamite fishing, and it comes out and it's like a cooked bit of fish. But no, And also if you were to explode and the meat or to survive in some fashion, you definitely shouldn't eat it because it will be radiated in some way. It'll it'll be like just poison, just just straight poison. So listeners, don't try z home, don't don't try and blow up.
Speaker 1: If you ever meet a genetically modified shark and attacking facility, do not shoot dynamite into it, blow it up, and then eat that meat. Would have Preacher had a little little cook do if he rigged something up.
Speaker 2: What like a little little stove. Yeah, he has a little there's plenty of fire, Yeah, exactly, he just needs to rig up a spit he takes there.
Speaker 1: It is there it is. He It cuts to him spinning a big hunk of meat at the end and he and Cardior are just munching.
Speaker 2: Ida brings it back and realize, oh no, wait, this is Susan's leg.
Speaker 1: And then and then scars guard pops up. It's like, oh you're still here.
Speaker 2: He goes, I'll have some of her leg. I'm a way to go.
Speaker 4: For the people in the boat who turn up at the end instead of just bobbacue and they'd be like, what, who are they cooking? That's what's going on.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about that. You there's a chance you probably might eat doctor Susan McAllister.
Speaker 2: He's only just gone in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean also you're digesting Scoggins mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And Russell's in there, Jim's arm.
Speaker 1: You might be eating your friend, which will you with powers of the wind to go? So maybe do it?
Speaker 2: Yep? Does that? Does that work? If you eat an animal that's eating a human?
Speaker 1: Why not? Is that? Does it know?
Speaker 2: Does hang on? What's like?
Speaker 1: Do you get the pa? Is there a spirit that knows that you're munching on a person? Or does this thing know that you cheated by eating a creature that ate your friend.
Speaker 2: I taking out any kind of intention here. I was saying, an animal has eaten a human without my knowledge, and I have then eaten that animal. So there's no I'm not like trying to eat a person in this scenario. Yeah, because I've seen ravenous and I don't want that to happen.
Speaker 1: But I mean, even if I think not knowing and knowing is the same thing, you're still ingesting human flesh.
Speaker 2: I mean, Simon, what do you think?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Simon?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, if one eats two and then.
Speaker 2: Three, Yeah, transitive properties of h.
Speaker 4: You're getting something.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, if we're taking out anything magic, it's like it's you know. I mean, so, Mark, how do you become a wind to go?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Man, I just ate a wolf one day and it's just happened.
Speaker 1: I was eating a gator and the keys I've eaten gator. It turns out it e't a guy.
Speaker 2: I was trying to think of an animal movie you would eat that would eat a person, and yeah, Gata does this fulfill that fel.
Speaker 1: Like getting like bath salt poisoning or math poisoning from eating a gator in Florida is more likely than becoming.
Speaker 2: A wind because the person on salt is that.
Speaker 1: What you'd be on basalt? Man, I'm feeling a little off to Dave, that's a move like teen wolf.
Speaker 2: That's but.
Speaker 1: Florida, windy Go? How'd you become windy Go? I don't know. You go to a witch doctor? Like I don't know, Like that's something like that, and like what happened? Well, did you eat a person? Did you eat a gator? Did that gator eat it? But I don't, Oh, I like it. Then you have to go find where'd you get that gator from? Was it big? It seemed full? Like the there's a lot of investigator final destination. You're trying to hunt what like what happens with death? And like that's you hunting down who found the gator?
Speaker 2: They kind of have like clothes in its teeth? Was there any clues? Are their footprints leading up to its mouth?
Speaker 4: This is it asking the gate of farmer? If he fed it? Lost tourists?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you applying? Son? Well, I'm a winding go now and it came from here, so I must have eaten a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing but gator for a week now, let me.
Speaker 1: Take you over here real quick. Is anybody with you? You got a cell phone from someone waiting on you. People know you're here. All Let me show you the back.
Speaker 2: Beating a wendigo to a gator and then somebody eating that gator. Is that like Wendigo squared Yes? Oh god, that's the sequel, double unlocked.
Speaker 4: A different type of mass.
Speaker 2: Here Wendigo equations.
Speaker 1: The sequel would be wending squared jay like the little two above it. You know when you like, when you kill a highlander, you get their power, and the more powerful they are, you get their powers. Like the more out the more when it goes that alligators eat, If you eat that alligator, you're becoming a more powerful When to go?
Speaker 2: When to go?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: I want to say fish eating scenes and movies have been pretty like formulative in my life. There's a lot of movies I love that feature. Yeah, oh yeah, what a amazing movie. But I mean, think about Airplane, The Deadly Fish, water World. He just jumps into the wa He's mad about them fishing, so he jumps in the water, slaughters the sea beast, gets stuck inside it swims after his boat, takes his boat back, takes the meat, put the meat on his boat, then cooks it for all the people like they're that's a good fishy like that man returns. I think that fish eating scene mess me up more than most things. Yeah, Lord of the Ring, Return of the King, Like, I love some some fish eating on that Andy Cirkis, I love him, Show Remembering, Showdown, Little Tokyo. He's like, when we come back, we're gonna come back to his restaurant. We're cann eat some sushi up those naked chicks, like that's Brandon Leader, Dolph langerd it's a good line. We talked about Hunger Games to j Jennifer Lawrence. Raw fish in that she did and then all boy.
Speaker 2: No, thank you the articles of course, yes.
Speaker 4: Cast away recently, Oh yeah, sorry. It's just when he's eating raw fish, and it is right after its transition to four years later. It looks absolutely miserable as he's put saying what I'm assuming is raw fish in his mouth, And I always wonder is he really acting there or is he genuinely not very happy about what he's putting in his mouth?
Speaker 2: So is that that's pre the four years will.
Speaker 4: Post the four years after its transitioned literally Tom.
Speaker 2: That's when Tomans was just miserable because he's eating nothing for months, basically nothing but a volleyball for for four years in character.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he throws. You see him standing on the rock. He's all shrunken and blonde and harry and and then he throws the spear, gets the fish and then you just see him sat on the on the beach just picking at a dead fish.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a good Yeah. The Castaway diet.
Speaker 2: Yep, sure no, thank you. The terminal diet, airport diet, just drinking ice cream. That's because he did the Terminal. He like bulked up for the Terminal, and then it's slim down for the Castaway and has made what lies beneath whilst they're waiting for Tom Hanks to lose weight.
Speaker 1: All the movies to make while you're waiting for your actor to lose weight. That's a pretty good movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a quick little I can fit this in, I'll get this done. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm still annoyed that the.
Speaker 2: Cones doing Barton think where they were trying to write mis crossing the slote Barton, think a little button think here in a it's easy yeah.
Speaker 1: Well that makes sense about writer's block and writing exactly. But I I was I was working in a theater when What Lives Beneath came out. Good bathtub action in that movie. But yeah, they when the theater the people are leaving, I wouldn't harass them, but I would. I would always be like, come back soon if not sooner, and just kind of just generally, you know, say goodbye to everybody. And then I was like, what do you think about the anying? Did you really think it would be this? And I looked over and there was just a couple sitting on the bench waiting to go see the movie. And I felt terrible because I wrecked the movie for him.
Speaker 2: I don't believe lad this is Dad.
Speaker 4: I almost had the force awakened spoilt for me. We went to go and see it, and the staff started letting us in, not knowing that they'd had a technical issue. There was a manager in the middle of the aisle basically using a radio to rewind the film to the bit where it clear gone wrong, and we came within seconds of seeing Hans Solo, Oh Stewards because it came in and chu, he's putting these things that could be bombs on on on scaffolding or framework or something, and I was like, okay, what's going on here? And then the guy on the radio is like, stop there, okay, and he's like asking the audience, okay, is this is this where you were? Where you got up to and they were sort of murmuring, and I was like, I'm going to leave now before dragged my girlfriend and my brother out. I do not want this spoil And then obviously watched it and realized, wow, we came really close to.
Speaker 2: Having that ruined. I listened to a podcast with a guy I went to see it with his parents. He'd already seen it before, but they haven't. And his mum went to the blue just before that scene and then came back just after that scene and after the film. She's like, how sort of just they just they just left the film. They just didn't circle back to him at all. I don't know what what happened then, to explain missed it is pivotal childhood crushing scene for so many people.
Speaker 4: Not to not to go off on a tangent, but do you remember the bit and that was the last Jedi The next film where uh, I can't think of her name the maneuver. Yes, yes, and she goes into hyper hyperspace. There's that beautiful shot, isn't It all goes silent and it's just you can see her trail as it goes through all the other ships. There was a kid in the screening when we watched that, and you just heard them go that's funny, and the entire audience erupted in laughter. Yes, that's my start's Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you, guys, the most insane question you'll ever be asked? Maybe just this month, higher mark the insane question you'll be asked this month?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: So I'm working on something, as one does, I'm working on something and Ball's time Hank's peen okay, Yeah, And I started thinking about it, like I don't think I've ever seen Harrison Ford since we brought him up, Like I've never seen him p in.
Speaker 2: A movie.
Speaker 4: Not Shame Springs to mind.
Speaker 1: Spring, like that's really or like Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt, like Tom Hanks and Green Mile Castaway, Forrest Gump like in the Burbs, there's a fountain p and on him, I mean terminally has to run to the bathroom. He escapes through bathrooms and Da Vinci Cody goes into a bathroom to talk to somebody leave of their own. He has a record breaking one. It's just I don't know. In Bondfid of the Vanities, he talks about pee in his pants, like this guy has just a tremendous saving private Ryan. They talk about vecchy O P and v's on jackets, like the guy has a lot. But that was like, I don't think I've ever seen Harrison Ford or Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've just watched Witness and The Mosquito Coast, two films where I feel like if he was going to pee in a film, Harrison Ford would have peed in these films. Yeah, and I don't. I don't think he does. But hey, I just go I just googled Harrison Ford pe and apparently there's a scene where he goes into a bathroom and working girl his character is peeing in the bathroom. Well he's talking to Melanie Griffith.
Speaker 1: Tom Hanks thing then right, Jay, like this guy, this guy can't start.
Speaker 2: And there's a video in a Hollywood homicide called he Just peede Himself with Harrison Ford in it. So maybe he's saying that or his character did that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's insane, but I just wanted you guys to know that, because then it means it's very deliberate by Tom Hanks. Correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, yeah, it's it's it's done so many times in so many films at this point.
Speaker 1: So it's like, yeah. I was like, is this yeah? Is this a normal thing? Is this is Does every actor do this? I'm like, no, I think it's just a Tom Hanks thing.
Speaker 4: Maybe he just wants to normalize it the part of life, except it ip just like everyone else.
Speaker 6: I'm just an everyday guy pee one leg at a time, just like the rest.
Speaker 1: And when I wake up in the morning and make hit records, I put my pants on one leg at a time and then I make hit records. All right, good, I'm glad we got that out of the way because I was just wondering about that.
Speaker 2: I don't see anyone pee in this oh, I know, we see Jim P's famous yeah uh goody.
Speaker 1: It's little character beats like that that also make this movie great. Where just is he peeing in the wind and then the little smile he does. I feel like there's enough little bits in this movie to make it truly stand out. It has a personality to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Like we've we've covered a lot of recent shark movies or other types of films on this show, and they lack that personality for the most part. It's it's rare that they have as much time given to the characters and little moments. It's more as like, hey, these people here and they're in the water and they've been eat by Jacques moving on. Even even just the opening scene, which we covered about years ago, there's still there's like little character beats that with just those four unnamed people on the boat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the movie does kind of trick you in in that way. At first you think it's just going to be that kind of movie because that scene looks like what you'd expect. Yeah, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? And then they will survive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, appears on his very nice probably quite loud, but out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: And when he shoots the shark that the boat doesn't move at all, the shark stopped, which is the shark is such a setup like tricks like a hop and then the boat doesn't move at all. Does Carter not ever think about that.
Speaker 4: That's Steve steely look. He doesn't need to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just he's concerned about catching the shark. He's caught the shark, the mission complete.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, that's interesting with that steely look. He doesn't have to. That's really interesting because it's like I just did my job. You don't want to but wait, yeah, he's just once he does his job, his job, he does the look. Yep, doesn't think. Never tell me the variables.
Speaker 2: I reckon? He kind of. Now he has survived the the Great aquatica massacre, as it may be known. I don't know. He probably looks back on that day and think, ah, what the boat stopped. The shark just stopped, wouldn't I stupid kater And it's pretty good. I shouldn't see him come in. The sharks just wanted the deep blue sea. But again, he didn't know they were super smart, so he did. He when he catches the shark and it stops, he is not thinking this is the shark's plan. The shark intentionally stopped, Like I couldn't even cross his mind. It wouldn't even be a possibility.
Speaker 1: At that point, there's a rampaging grizzly and you just darted with a little dart in the butt and then just drops.
Speaker 2: Just sits down.
Speaker 1: This pops a squad well, that was an effect of dark.
Speaker 2: No momentum or anything. It just just just stopped it instant.
Speaker 1: It's like a force field stopped an invisible wall. Yeah, just I mean does the look drag it back? Whenever he does the look, the thoughts reset like the steely look. Nothing's getting through that steel door.
Speaker 2: So sorry for the shark in this chapter. It's it's free. If the plan has worked, it's made it out of aquatica, it has escaped, it's got the deep bo c all it wants. It is out and then it just blows up. I don't nowhere. I fel like imagine Andy dorfrain. He's climbed through all the sewers, he's gone through all of the proof, the football fields of Proop. He's dug that tunnel for years and years and years. He gets out, blows up just from nothing. It hands up to the sky, the rain rain is going down. He's never felt so free, never freedom never smelled so good.
Speaker 1: Explos What would the would the explosions like no light has no idea, has no idea, he has no that's amazing. Just he puts his arms out in the water, lightning hits it. He just blows up, never even knows. The good thing about that explosion is that that shirk didn't know. The shirk did not feel that thing, Like that's yeah, he shoots a quarter mile in the air, or she shoots a quarter mile in the air. Anytime, there's not a big.
Speaker 4: Up more of that than she did.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Anytime there's that much of an explosion, you're at least you're just not gonna feel it because it's quick.
Speaker 2: It's very quick.
Speaker 4: There's nothing made free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like all right, yeah, preachip like burning his fingers on the lectric shock probably felt more of that than the shock did.
Speaker 4: It's the way in that saying, though, the Koja is just sort of like nodding, like he's counting, and it's like, what are you counting?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 4: One thousand? Just see how far from the from the facility the chart can get before the cable snaps out of you. And what were you waiting for in that saying? So, yeah, yeah, because that.
Speaker 1: Thing's going quick, so just put it on there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is a g.
Speaker 1: I love the overhead shot of the explosion.
Speaker 4: By the way, it's grim, but it's brilliant.
Speaker 1: It's just so unnecessary.
Speaker 6: We've talked before not more than a quarter mile j oh. I mean it depends on how long is the cable. We don't really know how long the cable is. It's it's as long as the cable is. Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: It's pretty fun. We've talked before about the Oh God, what the same of the show that the show did the myth busters MythBusters, thank you? The myth was did the how big is this explosion? Accurate? And it's like, no, it's not. You'd need two body bags worth of dynamite for an explosion that pig and Carter would be liquid. He would be puraide from being that close to it. You just have to reiterate. And I do not care at all. I love it so much. It's such a ridiculous explosion.
Speaker 4: We are talking about a movie where made intelligence the explosions kind. It has to it has to measure up to the lunacy we have just witnessed and enjoyed. But it has to live up to the lunacy, and it does. It delivers perfectly. That explosion is as ridiculous as the rest of the film, and I love it.
Speaker 2: And we've talked before about how Renny Harden likes to kill people hard. He likes to make sure they're dead. That shark is dead. That shark is not coming back. It is being killed.
Speaker 4: Yes, she is not going to be in Deep blu Cy too, as Chris Tucker might have said had he been in that movie.
Speaker 1: And even if it's two one thousand, it's not coming back from that explosion. I mean, that's thing. But pretty much a viscerated that shark.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I know one thousand if you blew it up in water with that worked because it liked the liquid mudge and exploding it and all little pieces. But they're little pieces on solid ground. If they're little pieces in the ocean, harder or easier to reform.
Speaker 4: Just got this image of a sentient drip of t one thousands.
Speaker 2: He somehow, somehow swimming whist being just like a little blob.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but not very good.
Speaker 1: It would find it would find, it would find some he would just come back shorter. I don't think it would find everything.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess he could. He could, like reform in a form that was more suitable for swimming, like with fins or flippers or that's true shock. That's always bothered me about T too. It's like it's it turns into a human shape to walk around a visility. It turned into a ball, roll around the place, have some imagination.
Speaker 1: H a ball?
Speaker 2: Just you know, it could do anything. Wasn't turning into Robert Patrick roll be quicker? You're limited by the yeah, limited by being a biped When it could do.
Speaker 1: Anything, couldn't It couldn't have turned into like Dany DeVito and just mess with everybody because it doesn't really matter what it looks like. It doesn't matter. So you just if you just mimic every and then it's just Danny DeVito chasing.
Speaker 2: We need another Chortz snake at to Vito film.
Speaker 1: That would kind of afusing. I think I would do that because if I could buy myself a split second where the people's people's brains have to get used to this site they're scene, that would give me more time. But if I'm just Robert Patrick, you know you're not. You're like, Okay, this dude's like super athletic looking and he's a t one thousand. I get it. But if here's something that you wouldn't expect, you kind of just huh and then you're.
Speaker 2: So for you it comes back as Jim Varney and it just confuses you for a bit.
Speaker 1: I would think it's the creature from it follows.
Speaker 2: Plan is Jim Bunny naked.
Speaker 1: I'm just sitting there hanging out at the beach and all of a sudden I just see naked. Just yeah, Ernest coming up to me. Uh Like this is mean. I would I would run away and be like come on, man, like come on, and my favorite film, and it just keeps I do think it's Simon. You give me a pretty funny visual of at the end, the explosion happens, but it's just a very practical, like John Wick type explosion, and so the sharks, you know, two hundred meters away, and all of a sudden, there's just like a little like it kills a shark, but it just takes out like a little chunk and then that's it. Like you could barely hear it. There's no shock wave. I don't think that movie would be as satisfying.
Speaker 4: No, I wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Jay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to think it can't be that far away because Karda can hear Preacher carlor Is emits the Blood and Girls. It can't be a quarter of a mile. He would not be able to hear him a quarter of a mile away at sea. No, it's gonna be nearer than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I just love how high the explosion. It's a couple of hundred feet off the air and there's an over I like that or ahead shot was warranted for the explosion.
Speaker 2: Just makes me very happy. It's a beautiful shot.
Speaker 4: It's like that Monster movie thing of it's definitely not coming back for the sequel.
Speaker 1: No, maybe you know, it's not like the Alien from the first one where it kind of goes into space like well, I guess it's done, and then you learn more about it and you're like, okay, great, So even if we learn more about these sharks, this thing's not coming back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not happening.
Speaker 4: We need more scientists to be more dumb to make more ridiculous sharks.
Speaker 1: And then it was just we're going to test it during a storm with our skeleton crew. Hm.
Speaker 2: That's it. I mean, that's when Russell Frankton came to do it. Everyone else, they all had this excursion book. They've got to be away for a couple of days. They're not going to count people. They had who they needed and the Goggans and yeah, yeah, and then they didn't work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I like. I was just thinking about creature features and and I think the reason I love creature features so much is when I watched Deep Blue Sea, I was just expecting a like a hockey shark movie. But then when I realized how good it was, it just put a huge smile on my face. Like Tremors, it seems like a silly but it's such a personable and fun movie that it made me really happy. You know. Purana three D was such a crazy, over the top movie. It seemed like total trash, but the way that Alexandra Aja handled it, and he's going to be directing Under Paris too, which is amazing, It just means happened, like like recently with Primate, the movie Primate, the Johannes Roberts who did the forty seven meters down movie. He just made a very efficient, well made little creature feature and it put a big smile on my face because I don't know. On the surface, it's like it seems like it could just be a B movie, but I like when they offer surprises and like, I don't know, I guess this is like I think there's an interesting I think of all the movies that are made, creature features bring me the most joy when they're really well done. And I think that's why I love Deep Blue Sea so much, because it's such a corny presence premise, but I love it so much because it's handled well and it's good. So there's always like a night surprise that comes when like a B movie is actually just really good. Absolutely, yeah, yeah, I guess talking about there, but I'm just.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's well, it's fine. So simon, what are your top four shark movies?
Speaker 4: Well, naturally, D Blue c is one of them. I mean, I'm not the biggest shark movie guy. I will admit that's.
Speaker 1: Is that on your like LinkedIn?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, that's not the biggest shark movie guys.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I went on and looking through IMDb lists and what have you, trying to figure this out, and I realized just how many there are.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's so many, But what's really grateful.
Speaker 4: Guess what showed up on the IMDb shark movie list That isn't a shark movie. Sorry for the tangent, like.
Speaker 2: That's a shock it has it has story in the.
Speaker 4: Title, but it doesn't necessarily involve well, it involves getting in it and it being bad. The Mark Ruffalo movie Dark Waters. I stopped and stared at my laptop that what what is that doing on there?
Speaker 1: Is that there is a pollution killing sharks?
Speaker 4: I don't know people being mentioned at all?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, that's it's like Aaron Brockovich being on there. It's not shouldn't Yeah, it's shouldn't.
Speaker 4: Ye anyway, No, No, it didn't at all. It didn't. It was very very interesting story, but it didn't. I just had to mention it because it didn't warrant be obviously. Deep Blue Sea, I'm, I'm this is not really my wheelhouse, but Deep Blue Sea this is. I think why I enjoyed Deeply See so much is because it's something a bit different to what I usually watch, and it is actually really good. Jaws naturally is it is? I mean, who would have thought that Steven Spielberg and Sharks would start an entire genre of film never would have seen that one coming. The other movie that I do like that involves sharks, and I was quite impressed at how much I enjoyed it is the meg Okay, big and stupid, and apart from the fact it is not gory enough by some level, I mean cutting away when a shark is flying out of the water and biting another shut. No, No, there's just a fail. But yeah, it's so stupid. I enjoyed it. Didn't enjoy the sequel so much, but did enjoy the first one quite a lot, and then the final one. I mean, this is how much of a shut movie go. And I have to point out I'm a parent. Finding Nemo make me die every time I see them. They also remind me of the Top Gear Boys for some reason, Clarkson, Hammon and made. I don't know why, but I'm guessing it's because Bruce makes me think of Clarkson. But yeah, yeah, those guys crack me up every time.
Speaker 1: I miss those little journeys they used to take ten to fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think which which would be, which one which?
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mentioned this to my fiance and she's like, so I get that Clarkson's Bruce get that, But what about the other I have no idea. It just makes me think of it. They're dynamic. Makes me think of the top gear boys.
Speaker 2: Is the Angler fish the Steak It doesn't talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would work well. It looks confused the entire time.
Speaker 1: I wish I could drive that lap in that car, in a reasonably frist car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I never want to do that. I would go poorly, yeah, yeah, but I would be so it would be such a boring I would just go slowly. I wouldn't try and because I'm very careful I hate driving, I wouldn't try and do it quickly at it like I'm just gonna I'm indicating. I know it's a loop, but I'm going to indicate slow down around we go and of gradually, Yeah, it'd be such a boring lap to watch.
Speaker 4: And that track unlocked ons or whatever the hell game you had on the Xbox. They had that, and we drove that a ridiculous amount of times, that track with ridiculous types of cars, including a VW camper there just randomly. Heck, yeah, good times. So something.
Speaker 2: Did you have any more notes on on the scene or the film or anything else.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the explosion we've talked about it is ridiculous and wonderful and amazing. But going back to l ol cool J and and him being the favorite character, it ends perfectly our little chapter with him when he's asking Carter about whether all the sharks are dead and and he's sure it was just three and he just looks, and Carter looks and he just takes his feet out of the water. That's better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, because there's so much blood in the water, sharks, more sharks will be coming.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't go near water that wasn't a bathtub for ever if I survived that would I have a colleague who's a former Samarana with a brawl Navy, and I'd say to him every time I see him, I don't know how you did that job.
Speaker 4: I could. I went on a tour of a World War two submarine. Once I was in there for thirty minutes, I hated it. So how are you to be on that facility and then go through all of that? And which brings me Actually, the one thing I do think of, Obviously we were talking about earlier Carter's steely look when he snares the Shark for early on, and he is sort of in it as the leading sort of hero sort of guy, but they're not afraid to let him be a bit human. The bit where he goes back into the lab and he comes across Stelling Scarsguard's corpse. Yeah, and he swims to the top and he finds whatever oxygen bubble he can find and screams, Yeah. I actually thought, Yes, that's real, that's I believe that, because that's what I would do. I would freak out lose control of all bodily functions and yeah. And I actually really appreciated that because as much as it is a big ridiculous shark movie, there is believable elements to it, and that is one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've not really talked about that because I feel like these days here like Vin Diesel, if that was if that was a Vin Diesel character, he would never be like, I'm I'm not scared. He just punched him away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly in his contract. He couldn't be scared.
Speaker 1: The corpse on Journey.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's such a fair enough I think I think the only the only kind of character who would be in this kind of situation and would be scared. Is like someone who's normally a comedian who wouldn't be in this kind of like it's it's funny that they're they're a comedian, but the action here in this one, Camel None Journey is in this film doing this. He's scared and yeah, a big point of it. Uh, I'm just imagining Stuba but deeply see deep I.
Speaker 1: Think that's what you get though. I mean, by this point he was with Paul Thomas Anderson and Terrence Malick, right, So I think he I think Thomas Jane was he wanted to be an actor. I think he kind of looked down on this part a little bit. So I think he added what he could to the role. And so I think that's what you get when you get a colectic cast like Jim but Lock or I'm sorry, Stone Scar's guard or I mean Sam Jackson is one to golf, so we can write that off. But you know, you brought in some interesting people. They do some interesting work. I like that. Yeah, now mustachei ode, Aaron Eckert is Runnie Harlan's guy.
Speaker 2: Still I need to see it still here yet, still the water pissing me off about a UK release. But there we are. Anyway, we've gotta wrap things up and get you out this, Simons, So thank you very much joining us. What we got to plug? Where can our listeners find you?
Speaker 4: Well, you can find me at the movie mustachemovie mustache dot com. Find me on Facebook movie mustache two point oh because apparently sharing movie related stuff on movie related pages is spamming, so I had to set up the page again. So yeah, on Facebook it's movie Mustache two point oh. Everywhere else it's at movie score mustache Twitter. And yeah, what have I written about recently? Becovery well indies? Recently German? One German short called for Elise relate to the Beethoven music Let Dan Go, an interesting short about moving on and after losing someone in a tragic accident. And what was the other one I forget hoppers is yeah, that's that's the featured one. That was that.
Speaker 1: Was fun And he gave Mercy ten out of ten.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course I gave Mercy. No I have reviewed Mercy's I did. I did review balls up for pop Culture maniacts so speaking of people peeing on oh yeah, I'll leave it there because you know, this is a clean show, so I will leave it.
Speaker 2: There, but writers peel over the script.
Speaker 4: It's one of those films that if you appreciate it for what it is, which is stupid and that's what you want, you'll be fine. And I'll leave it at that. But yeah, that's me.
Speaker 2: Excellent, great mark any plugs.
Speaker 1: I got some fun stuff coming up and movie songs of flicks. Movie songs and flicks coming up.
Speaker 2: Oh cool?
Speaker 1: Two of them. Three of them, hey, hey, two of them.
Speaker 2: Keep keep them coming. Three of my life versus film dot com. And you can follow this show all over social media at Deep Blue seapot email at gmail dot com. Next week, Eaten Alive Back to the Reptiles with such a gift for that one. I haven't seen it yet, but the seventies film is that snakes are gators?
Speaker 1: Or what is the.
Speaker 2: Animal in that one? I forget the gators, but it's inistigators.
Speaker 1: It's a grody little thing man, very effective. You're in. Don't watch it on a train.
Speaker 2: Not gonna, don't worry.
Speaker 1: Do not watch it on a train.
Speaker 4: I'm loving the random safety messages that this podcast provides.
Speaker 2: I watched a lot of stuff on trains, Simon, I spend about ten hours a week on trains, and I watched some odd stuff on them sometimes, but I know when not to do. Today, good watch.
Speaker 4: I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The Daniel Craig went on an international flight not knowing what and suddenly felt very uncomfortable about the fact that people behind me could see what I was watching.
Speaker 1: Yep, he's had a white knucklet through that.
Speaker 4: It's on the menu, it's on the screen here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's on a TV. You're fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is on my iPad. Season three or twin Peaks. There's a lot racier than seasons one and two and finding out so far, so that's fun. Yeah, so come out next week eating Alive. But as for Deeply see one, chapter thirty two dive to thank you once again to a wonderful guest, Simon Appleton.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Great good I have been, I have been Ja cler Marklfmer and we'll deep blue see you next week, Deep Blue, Pia next week.