Speaker 1: Dave Fraser from Fox thirty one. I'm sorry, Dave Frasier. I was discombobulated there for a moment, but now I'm back.
Speaker 2: How are you? I'm good?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: I am well now that I am back on the show and a little bit toasty today.
Speaker 4: When are we getting our fall?
Speaker 1: Are we just going to go straight from ninety degrees to snow?
Speaker 4: Because I feel like that's what's going to happen here.
Speaker 2: It could, Mandy. Honestly, the pattern we're in, I just don't see any breaks coming for the next ten.
Speaker 3: To maybe thirteen.
Speaker 2: I think we could put at a ten percent chance of a shower in our forecast, maybe a week from this Saturday, which would be what the twelve thirteenth, Yeah, so that weekend. So yeah, it's just that we've got this persistent high. The jet stream with the storm track is way too far north. There's just not a lot going on. And sometimes in these patterns, what can happen at this time of the year, days are getting shorter as the cold there gets bottled up, and eventually it'll break loose and come our way. But that's a building process. So this dominant high just kind of keeping us dry, sunny, and kind of ebbs and flows from warm to.
Speaker 3: Seasonal, from warm to seasonal.
Speaker 2: That's going to continue in the seven day and in the ten day forecast with no change.
Speaker 4: So it sounds like I need to water my trees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. We just did a We did a story on that yesterday because people were asking, you know, it's this time of the year where the conversation usually would start with the cooler nights about length of the appropriate time to blow out the sprinklers.
Speaker 3: But with the dry.
Speaker 2: Pattern we've been in September was you know.
Speaker 3: A little below normal for moisture.
Speaker 2: We really only had the one good weekend of rain. October looks to be dry for the next ten days. You're not going to get a lot of growth. So in other words, you're launch is probably looking pretty good, but it's not growing like it does in the summer. So when you molway, you get the tiniest little clippings, but your trees and your shrubs and stuff are definitely gonna want that drink. You just don't need to water as much. We talked with Denver Water and instead of doing every three days, they're suggesting maybe every you know, once a week or maybe twice a week just to keep.
Speaker 3: The moisture flow going.
Speaker 2: But overall, you shouldn't have to panic and run it like you would in hype eat of some summer.
Speaker 1: You know, I understand that about the you know, about watering just a couple of times a week, but for those of us that live in neighborhoods to throw out water restrictions, right, so it's like you have to water on the right day or the water police are going to come get you. Actually, we don't have water police, but it's it is interesting that a more efficient way would be the water a couple times a week and then call it a day. But that's not what is allowed in some situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, I think my personal you know, in talking with people at Denver Water for twenty years. Listen, we're semi arid climate. Water is a precious commodity anywhere in the country, but certainly more so here in the West, and we struggle with drought from times. We're dealing with that now, so you know, to be fair, and everybody you know wants to keep their lawn in their yard looking great, every third day should be ample and it's just a matter of everybody has different watering systems, so some have sophisticated timing systems where they can set for every third day to match whatever the schedule is for the hoa or the neighborhood. Others they may only be able to do it. Some have to do it manually. But just if you can just do it every three days, that's probably ample and you're going to save money. And you pok a book too.
Speaker 3: All right, need to overwalk.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you a couple of questions.
Speaker 1: I was out walking the dog yesterday and today we got some hazy skies.
Speaker 4: What's going on with that right now?
Speaker 2: So there was a fire just east of Salt Lake City and a little bit of that smoke, not a lot, A little bit of that smoke kind of got pulled into the atmosphere, so as you were looking from a great distance, you probably did nose a little bit of haze. I can see it, hinted it today.
Speaker 3: It's just not the.
Speaker 2: Wildfire smoke we were dealing with earlier in the summer, where the fires were just huge and massive and the smoke was thick and made it all the way down and there were health concerns. Just enough of the haze on the horizon that you're right in your eye probably picked it up.
Speaker 1: So I got a couple questions from listeners on the text line now, and one of them came in some time ago before I started talking about last night's debate. Here it is where does Dave get the data to determine the average high and low temperatures for a particular day.
Speaker 2: So the average records are kept by the National Weather Service. You can find them on their website. It is a record database that goes back to eighteen seventy two when.
Speaker 3: Records were first started.
Speaker 2: To be kept here in Denver. The official station has moved four times during its history.
Speaker 3: It is now housed out at the Airport.
Speaker 2: Denver International, Orgain, depending on your preference. And so we go through that record database and in there you can find the daily records. You can look at months, you can look at yearly.
Speaker 3: Records, you can look at streaks. There's all sorts.
Speaker 2: Of climatological data that is in there. So for instance, today.
Speaker 3: We're looking at two records.
Speaker 2: One is if we reach ninety degrees, which we think we will between two and three o'clock we're sitting at eighty six. We would set a new record high for today October two, beating the old record which was set back in two thousand and five. And if we hit ninety degrees, it's the latest ninety degree temperature that Denver has ever recorded in that record keeping history of eighteen seventy two, gone all the way back to that time.
Speaker 3: The old record was yesterday.
Speaker 4: Oh there you go. So somebody's asking this question, when are the leaves gonna fall?
Speaker 1: This is an interesting question because I just noticed yesterday as I was driving around and really starting to see in the metro, we're starting to see leaves change, right, So this is like it happened so fast. And usually when they get really pretty, that's when we get our first snowstorm to knock all the leaves off. So we have nice leaves for like ten minutes. That's not going to happen this year. So somebody said, don't want a ton of tree damage. Always seems like they hang on just a couple of days too long. But we're not in danger of having any snow or big weather knock our leaves off this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are the two things we look for. One would be a wind event, which would clearly rip the trees of their leaves, because they're getting to that point where they're dropping. I mean the leaves are dropping out. I'm looking on my window. Neighbor's tree is hanging over my fence line, and the leaves are dropping a little bit here and there. There's some neighborhood trees where you can see they turn to red and you drive down.
Speaker 3: The streets and you can see the leader bee. So they're already doing that.
Speaker 2: They're struggling a little bit with the drought, but the trees and the grass and the you know, the natural vegetation everything. Even though we're warm and dry, the cooler nights of the signal to it too. It's that time of the year to start thinking about going dorm it. Right, They tend to shed their leaves and so we're going to see that. The other thing would be like you're talking about, we've had that happen in early October where we will get a blast of cold there and the trees have not leaped out, and that can cause damage. In certainly a heavy wet snow if the trees are still holding their leaves, would cause problems with broken branches. So right now, you are correct. We just don't have those threats, so just watch them gently fall and you know, blow them up as you can.
Speaker 1: Got a couple of hurricane questions for you. Obviously, Helene has been the big topic of conversation as it's done just wrought incredible destruction in the Carolinas and in Tennessee. This question is why do hurricanes move east to west when the normal storms move west to east.
Speaker 2: So the flow where the hurricanes form in the Atlantic South think of Florida, is in the opposite direction.
Speaker 3: You have to come north of Florida for the flow to go the other way.
Speaker 2: So west to east is our dominant flow across the country jet stream when we usually bring storms in from the west or the Pacific northwest and then move them in an easterly direction, sometimes southeasterly, sometimes northeasterly, but the general flow in the mid latitude where the United States sits is west to east. However, as you transition south and get down, then you enter into a part of the flow where you've between there like the tip of Florida, Florida itself, and to the equator, where the flow goes the other way. So the of the storms the hurricanes form in the Atlantic. The flow is to bring them towards to the west, towards Florida, into the Gulf of next Ago, And as they turned towards the US, then they get caught up in the predominant flow and turned back to the east. And that's what happened with Helene. Alene came up to.
Speaker 3: The Gulf across Florida.
Speaker 2: And then was pushed to the north and east and that's.
Speaker 3: Why it hit where it did across Asheville and parts of Tennessee.
Speaker 4: Here's the question for you, Dave. Is the rain in a hurricane salt water.
Speaker 2: Well, salt particulars helped to make it more efficient, but the salt itself will be wrung out if you understand. So, yes, salt water is fueling the hurricane. Remember we talked about what's called condensation nuclei, smoke, dust particles, salt particles. They allow the rain drops to adhere to those particles and grow. So salt water is part of the machine that is fueling it. But the rain falling has been purified as the salt is being wrung out, Where does.
Speaker 4: The salt go?
Speaker 1: I mean, here's the thing, Like some of that moisture is getting is evaporated.
Speaker 4: So what happens to the salt? I guess the salt gets left behind. That's how they actually harvest salt dissolved yet.
Speaker 2: And listen, we're talking about microscopic party, right, we're talking.
Speaker 3: We're not talking about.
Speaker 2: Something's coming out of your salt shaker. Yeah, we're talking about the finest of particles that are mixed in with the atmosphere.
Speaker 1: For the person who asks, what am I going to get rained for a wheat crop? Not anytime soon, right, Dave?
Speaker 3: Nope, Yeah, No.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I feel for anybody trying to do that late season we cry out any of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: We just don't have it.
Speaker 2: Yep. Unfortunately, we're just stuck. We've got no big storm coming down the west coast to bump this big high pressure which is sitting to our south and west. We need something to move in, powerful cold front, powerful storm center, something to just move it along. And like I said, the long range models, I can tell you I looked at them. I do every time before you call me.
Speaker 3: The long range mode.
Speaker 2: Models for the month of October, seventy percent chance the temperatures will be above normal and a sixty percent chance that moisture will be below normal.
Speaker 4: All right, there we go.
Speaker 1: You can of course, see Dave's full forecast at Fox thirty one.
Speaker 4: Our partner again. Great to talk to you. We'll talk to again next week, my friend.
Speaker 3: Have a great weekend, all right.
Speaker 4: That is Dave Frasier