Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a new episode of Full Circle the Podcast. A visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines through our decidedly queer lens and see what happens. This episode is brought to you by Decanted jug Wine, brand new microphones, and a cacophony of rainbows. It's Pride Month. Ya.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Charles Tyson Junior, and I'm your.
Speaker 1: Host Martha Madrigal. Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 2: Hi, Babby, Hi, it's been a minute. I know. Well, we've done several interviews.
Speaker 1: We have done several interviews, and we've been out doing the stuff. Yeah, we have not sat down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the first time we've sat down with our new setup.
Speaker 1: I know, I mean, well to talk to each.
Speaker 2: Other, talk to each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because we had this. The new setup looks all fancy, but we can't be on the same screen anymore when we interview people. I know, we have these arms and things.
Speaker 2: I had to get creative, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have to get used to spreading out because we're not going to get smaller.
Speaker 1: They're fun. Well, I hate it when transfermen spread, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Okay, coming in hot close.
Speaker 1: Those legs grow. No one needs to see that anyhore. It's June seventh, Sunday, it.
Speaker 2: Is, which means we are a week into Pride.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we are here in the dining room, not out there walking around. We're proud in the I'm proud in that. I'm pretty you know. I was talking to well, the president of our Peeple like chapter, but a friend, and I said, I'm I think I'm not doing you know, all the Pride celebrations because I don't have no reason to this year, Like I'm not working them for the first time in Jesus fourteen years. I'm not working Pride, you know, other than COVID and so. And then I listed all the things on the calendar in June and he was like, holy crap, you are doing Pride. And I'm like, yeah, just different things. So yeah, we're out and about in June. You just may not see us walking around in a sea of rainbows. But we're proud here exactly right.
Speaker 2: It is what it is.
Speaker 1: And we were proud last well, not last night, Friday night, Friday night at the Equality ball. I lost a day yesterday because we just kind of sat and veged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did.
Speaker 1: Well. Friday. We was the Garden State Equalities Equality Ball, yes a lot, which was you know, fabulous fun as it always. You got to squad over Spallata. I did, who, of course is the cuntiest, Yes, And I didn't realize who I was talking to, so I went. I walked over to my friend Ash, who works for Garden State Equality, and they were talking to each other, and you knew right away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know who you are.
Speaker 1: I have hearing problems in a crowd, and I was looking for.
Speaker 2: A drink and so I didn't run a mission.
Speaker 1: It did not register to me, and I wondered why you didn't stay with me, because I was like at the bar ordering and you're still back there talking to this person in in, you know.
Speaker 2: In a fabulous hat and red pants, and I'm like, well, damn, that must be important.
Speaker 1: And then when I reconnected with you, you said, well that's Spallata, and I'm like fuck, And he probably said it to me and I didn't hear him. So I walked over and reintroduced myself, and so I'm sorry, I'm an idiot who needed a drink. But yeah, we we got to meet Spilata.
Speaker 2: Yes, lord, and the two of us had a thing, yes, and you know, because we were complimenting each other's outfits and he said, yes, I'm love it. I had my pinch stripe suit and he was like, I'm loving the pinstripes and he said, everyone like showed up to show out. And I just went, well, you know, and gave my little hand gesture and he just thought that was the best thing. And so that became our thing. Every time we saw each other, we just stopped and went, you know, right, you know. And then in one of his songs, he made a point of going.
Speaker 1: You know, I love that, And y'all have been corresponding since.
Speaker 2: Yes, because the Countiest was a fifteen minute fave a bit ago, right, and so I was like, oh, well, then you have to hear that. So I sent it to him and he was excited. So hopefully Spillata and I are going to continue to chit each hat back and forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah I love that quite so. Wonderful time. It's always a wonderful time, wonderful organization. Our friends who worked there, we were just talking about this earlier today with Kathy. I don't know when they don't work truly, because they're all at Bride and Hasbury Park today. They were all, you know, turned out at the ball on Friday night.
Speaker 2: Now that you mentioned, I don't think I've ever seen any of them standing still longer than four seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for real, for real, hard working folks who don't get the credit that they deserve. And Brielle as always gave some amazing words.
Speaker 2: That Brielle is. Her podium is just going to get bigger and bigger.
Speaker 1: We will have her on as soon as they I don't know, the board gets off their ass and makes her the official, the official executive director of Cliden State Equality. It is long overdue and we're all deserved. So I think as soon as that happens, and we're not in June, because I wouldn't, I am not going to ask her to sit down and breathe. I mean well, I am going to ask her to sit down bread, but not.
Speaker 2: With us, not during June.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can. We can chat in julyman, Right, we got to see ain't miss behavin. Yes we talked with the cast, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, we talked with with the cast and the director Amina Robinson.
Speaker 1: Who was amazing, yes, and knows Jesse Martin. I hope she sent my.
Speaker 2: Regards you need every time that always did I do.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but yeah. And and Ragier Raj I meant I believe I mentioned before, had come over after the performance and what a stellar, stellar performance and reminded me that we had met when he was Collins. Yes, in the Ardent Theater production of Rent where we took the folks and we had all the sofas up front, and it was amazing. And he just embodied that character so well. And and there's a he has a he has an essence about him that reminds me of of Jesse Martin. And I agree, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes you you fan girl.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: And we also spoke to Chabrolle Williams.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, that was a fantastic version. And Curtis who is the young man who uh had the the other male Curtis Harris, Curtis, this child is going to go places. Yeah, because Raj was he did the Ken Page role. Yes, Curtis did the Andre de Shields role.
Speaker 2: Chabro was the Armilia McQueen role. Right, So three of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was great.
Speaker 2: So that episode is is uh, that's outing about available to listen to and I think you should absolutely absolutely, that was a lot of fun we did that.
Speaker 1: I don't think we listed everything we have been doing. Martha Graham Dance Company, we went and saw them. That was your first time seeing them live.
Speaker 2: That was my first time seeing Martha Graham Company live. We went because of course Tommy why he'd Evin had his world premiere.
Speaker 1: And who you spoke with, yes, and interviewed.
Speaker 2: Him the week before, so it was great to go see what a what a showstopper.
Speaker 1: That piece was incredible collaboration between Martha Graham and Philadenko.
Speaker 2: So literally some of the best dancers in the.
Speaker 1: World, absolutely fiercest, fiercest, best, strongest dancers, modern dancers in the world together on one stage and man oh it was powerful.
Speaker 2: And his whole thing was initially he wanted to do a section of just the Graham dancers in a section of just the Danko dancers, and then back and forth and back and forth. But he changed his mind on that and just mixed them together into one company and that was that was the move. And I told him after the show like that was beautiful. It was one band, one sound that.
Speaker 1: Was absolutely you couldn't tell who came from where, just fierceness on stage exactly the entire time.
Speaker 2: And the music, yes, dear God, Yes, the sound design.
Speaker 1: Sound design was amazing.
Speaker 2: And we got to see some uh Martha Graham repertory from the mid thirties, including night Journey, which was one of her seminal works based on the story of Oedipus. Yes, and I.
Speaker 1: Felt like I was watching like an old musical or something, you know what I mean. It's very much of its time, but.
Speaker 2: Right which you know, grants preservation. That's that is what that is, that is.
Speaker 1: That is but answer. And the gentleman who played out God, oh, he was sculpted from marble. I love Granet. We watched Ebony, I love what.
Speaker 2: We watched these things through different lenses.
Speaker 1: That's that's a nice way to say it. Yes we do. I was enthralled with.
Speaker 2: His movement, yes, but his movement, yes, but uh yeah. The seeing the gram dancers do the technique and the repertory on stage do what they do, that was spectacular for me. And it reminded me of just how strong you have to be to be a gram dancer. Absolutely, Like several of the movements they did. I was just like, yes, and they look just they're deceptively simple looking, but I knew what I was looking at, Like that one like rende gehen where they fanned the leg and then put it down and then they go into a split, but the hands are up on the shoulders. I was like, y'all better fucking work. I said, what did I say to you? Said? I know one thing for sure. Every single person on that stage can stop bullets with their stomach. This I know. Yes, you throw a dollar bill at any of them, you'll get four quarters back.
Speaker 1: Seriously, yeah, seriously, it's such powerful dancers.
Speaker 2: And one of those quarters will be two dimes in a nickel bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Great to see old friends, you know, which happens every time, you know, because Philadelphia's dance community is small but mighty, small but mighty and uh yeah, so it was a great time.
Speaker 2: And Tommy, Tommy Stars has been on the rise. Yeah, it's that that put him in a different place because you know, after we you know, fanned over him, uh and we were leaving, I walked away just as someone walked up to him is well put together, older gentleman in a suit like, Hi, my name is blah blah blah blah, and I'm from the Metropolitan blah blah blah. I don't know what he said. All I heard was Metropolitan and then I was walking away. But there is no organization that starts with Metropolitan that isn't important, probably and endowed. So whatever that conversation.
Speaker 1: Was hopefully well endowed. The piece is called in case of fire speak speak yes and if you ever get the chance to see it anywhere, do so, Yes, do so. It was just well.
Speaker 2: One of the things we talked about in the interview was part of the negotiation was both companies, Graham and Danko, each have the rights to the work. Yes, so it can be performed literally at any point on the globe at any time. Yeah, so there will be a chance to see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can think me later, but do because what incredible work. We have such amazing people around us, do you know, such amazing talent and just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the first time I think you got to see William Burden perform possibly.
Speaker 1: I mean, we know the Burden family, the Burden dance dynasty in Philadelphia, all the way down to.
Speaker 2: Little Robert who ain't so little.
Speaker 1: Who ain't so little anymore, and is an incredible.
Speaker 2: Dance dynasty that is but accurate. Actually yeah, from Daddy.
Speaker 1: On down, Daddy on down. Yeah, and Mama is right there too with everyone. Yeah. So yeah, Will Burdon was was in this and just incredible. His movement is always just incredible. I mean I've seen him tapes of him dancing, but yeah.
Speaker 2: And Will has been literally the poster child for Danko for years now. So if you see a Philadenko poster and you see a tall, lanky, light skinned black man with his leg one hundred and eighty degrees someone or beyond, that's Will.
Speaker 1: That's Will. Yeah. And it was great to tell him because it really he's fun to watch. Yeah, yeah, it's uh, he's fun to watch. Yeah. There are those who just have that stage presence where you're watching the whole piece, but you got your eye on one and a couple of times I realized, oh wait, that's Will, right, just yeah, because it happened.
Speaker 2: It was so because like, yeah, he's a different person on stage, because you know, off stage he's like, you know, silly and fun and sweet, but on stage, he becomes this like creature and I was like, oh, there's Will burd And you were like where I was like center stage, You were like oh shit, you know.
Speaker 1: And I would say that that is a a thread that runs through the family. Humility and genuine, genuine just decency, kindness, certainly confidence in their ability, but just such sweet sweet men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they're all doing what they what they love to do.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and it shows and.
Speaker 2: One fierce uh fierce lady because uh Tata is coming up in the dance world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I've met her or if I've met her. I haven't seen her dance. You probably have.
Speaker 2: You have probably seen her, but you probably haven't seen her dance. She's still working her way up, but she's they're all growing up to be amazing. The gene pool in that family, they're like Russian dolls.
Speaker 1: They kind of are. That's a burden that, Oh, that's a burden. Yeah, you can tell. They all look like that. I mean, Deirdre was in that mix, but they do look like their father.
Speaker 2: The only one who doesn't look exactly like the rest of them is James. But you talk to him for two seconds, he's a Burden like there it is.
Speaker 1: We love them, we love whole of them. And yeah, dance steynasty, I mean, you know, in terms of tap dance, Robert Burden in Philadelphia's synonymous you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, literally yeah, So.
Speaker 1: We have one of his paintings.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 1: He was tap dancing some incredible art. I don't know if he's still doing it, but we managed to get one of his beautiful pieces. And in our whole way, y, we didn't make a dime in the bar business, but god, we have a gorgeous art collection.
Speaker 2: That we could not afford.
Speaker 1: No chu, nope, nope, nope, nope. It is Pride twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: It is, and everyone's getting into the festivities.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was the Haddon Township, which is kind of local to us parade and community day. It was Thursday and Friday. Didn't go to that either. I ran my Thursday night group and Friday we were at the Equality Ball. So and I my gown. Mm hm, I love that gown. I looked. I look good. I mean you look good to look Yes you did, thank you.
Speaker 2: We were very well put together.
Speaker 1: I dare say, yes, yes I did. You laced me in had a catechor set back. We ran into our friend at wait after Everything at what one in the morning or whatever time? Oh yeah, back from Asbury Park, and she's like spin and almost She's like bitch, thank you. Yeah, it's fun. Yes, it's fun to go to get dressed up and do things and it is and be among amazing, amazing folks and.
Speaker 2: The movers and the shakers of it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I had done a panel with a bunch of folks, a multi generational panel on moving queer community forward and how that all works and the what is the world. I'm missing the Renough facilitator, but you moderator, the moderator, Thank you, Alonso. I believe we had a really nice conversation on Friday night about that panel. And they're doing some very cool stuff in Newark, and I was invited to go and see and be part of some of it. So I'm going to do that for sure. The spaghetti dinners that we started here in little South Jersey are spreading, and just the simple idea of building community in that way without agenda is spreading. You know, we know that we're even in Red States at this point. I love hops. They're getting themselves together and hanging out, and those natural relationships that come of that are incredible. They're incredible, and you know, I see it all the time every day. The mutual aid that comes out of trans folks knowing one another and seeing their common ground is it's fierce. It's fun to sit and watch. I was going through looking at some of the events that are going on, and I'm not going to be able to go to Yeah, but I'm like, that's my kid, and that's my kid, and that's my kid. Oh, and that's my kid. And they're all out there. They are doing the things, they're doing.
Speaker 2: The things, moving and shaking it there. I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. Yeah. Just just being a good is subversion.
Speaker 2: In this world, and that is why we do what we do.
Speaker 1: It's true. It's true. Why did you send me over a Hello? Fresh ad?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: What is this? Is their pride official statement?
Speaker 2: Yes, so several of the you know how the corporations, they all dip their toe into being allies for the month June. I do, and several of them continue on July first, some of them do. Yeah, And we'll talk about a few more of them when we get further into the show. But This one just tickled me from Hello Fresh. This is from their Instagram. It says official statement. We know eating isn't always a top priority this month. We respect that, but for those of you who are prepping, we have an extensive lineup of high fiber recipes available Happy Pride.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So Hello Fresh supports bottoming.
Speaker 1: Evidently, I'm not sure what to make of that, but hey, I'll take it in. I'll assume good spirit is intended and just take it at that.
Speaker 2: Hey, they care enough to understand the ins and outs, as it were, of bottoming, well enough to make a little jokey joke.
Speaker 1: No see, I think next level would have been for those of you who are constipated over Pride months.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have an extensive lineup FI for recipes available to perhaps adjust your attitude. So it could work both ways, That's all I'm saying. Yeah, but yeah, fine, good love. There's a lot of clever shut out. There's a lot of clever like comeback stuff, and Hunter Biden has found his voice on social media and I'm there for it. Look at some of the stuff that's going on.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh my god, I know, say it at you.
Speaker 1: I am I love it. I love it. Well. Jake Tapper tried to come for his mother and he's not having it.
Speaker 2: Like what you say about my mama. Nope, nope, nope, nope not today.
Speaker 1: Yeah No, don't don't come for doctor Jill. Don't try it. I wouldn't know. So I was Entrinton on Thursday to watch the Senate vote on S Twenty two sixty, which is the healthcare bills. So many have been working to come into law. So this is the healthcare executive orders that Phil Murphy put in place, and we held our breath until we knew we had another Democrat in the governor's office. But a lot of folks have done a lot of work to get this codified into law. It's important and essentially what this protects is bodily autonomy. It is reproductive healthcare. It is not just gender affirming healthcare. So it's broader than that. It protects our New Jersey practitioners from outside interference, which the language has been worked with all the way up until the final vote, and they may change a word or two before June eleventh when the Assembly votes. It did pass the Senate twenty three to twelve along party lines for we're absent and one Republican stained, but you know we have we have the votes. Yes, so it is expected to pass the Assembly on June eleventh. I have the distinct honor of MCing the rally that will happen outside of our state capital and Trenton, and you know, aurage all of our folks, especially here in Jersey, to be there to stand in solidarity, to witness this historic legislation. It's important. New Jersey is not, sadly the first date to put these protections in place, but we are one of the states that is codifying, you know, protecting gender firm and care and reproductive healthcare. We are protecting it by law in the state of New Jersey. It's about time and it is, as I said, my distinct honor to mc the rally. So that will be a really fun day and that's one of my pride activities. You Yeah, so that'll be Thursday. Hopefully this episode is out before then. If not, mm hmm, we'll post video and yeah, we will be celebrating that. But yeah, I love that it's coming up in June. Why not? Why not?
Speaker 2: It's the perfect time.
Speaker 1: It is, it is, it's been a long time coming, been a long time coming. Some have worked briefly on this, some have worked for years. Yes, and all of them deserve just to celebrate themselves. The work is important. And we're still handing out postcards and having folks you know, contact Yes, their their their center and uh urge them to do this right thing exactly. Yeah, that's us right, anything else, I think that's the US stuff. Yeah. All we we lost a great Philadelphia true legend on June first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, Dido van Regersberg passed away on June.
Speaker 1: First, age of fifties. Yeah, known to many, many, many fans, certainly up and down the East Coast and really around the world. As Martha Graham cracker Geto we interviewed, Dido was one of the founding members of Pig Iron Theater Company. Such a hand in Philadelphia theater and cap baret and performance overall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a shining light.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We are still We're still seeing the outpouring just from everywhere. National queer media has picked it up.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I do too, you know, I think we saw it first in The Advocate and them, and you know it's really been the Pink News. Yeah, I'm sure, ol GBT Nation probably has published something since then.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and that was the the thing, because you know, we had our immediate reaction, and I was going through it. I was gutting, and because of the fact that he was so well known and well loved, it's like you literally couldn't escape the news because everybody, everybody.
Speaker 1: His dear friend Victor Fiorello, who writes for Philadelphia Magazine and was his piano player for years, posted first. Yeah, the news broke the news. Yeah. We were in a parking lot somewhere we had stopped to do We were out running errands, and I happened to look at my phone and I went, oh my god, Oh my god. So he had actually been diagnosed with two different kinds of cancer, one of them leukemia. There was I believe a stem cell transplant, bonemeer stem cell bone that did not was ultimately I think rejected. What happened. Yeah, since since January things have not been good. We found out later we didn't really know. It was last June when we interviewed Dto on the show and we re released that in honor.
Speaker 2: Of I love for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that was just re released. He was a co founder of pig Iron Theater Company. We recently talked to them and mentioned him, yes there, but didn't get into any conversation. Just such a talent, yeah, Barrymore Award winner, yep, all around lovely, lovely person, I mean, a.
Speaker 2: Pew Fellow, like all of the things he rightly earned. Just so I can remember the first time I saw Martha Graham Cracker. I was at a fundraiser and it was in this big club and Martha comes down this stairwell dressed in this like white fringy fembot thing with a curly blond wig, singing, coming down the steps, walking through the club, making her way up onto the stage, and I was just like, Okay, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yep, yep, yep. You couldn't not smile and have a wonderful time during that show, you know. It was just so filled with spontaneity and joy and and ornery. M m yeah. After it's this is this is one of those really big losses.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's a testament to uh Dido's the effect that he had on the arts community, because not just individuals, but UH companies that he worked with, the Wilmouth Theater, the Pew Charitable Trust, like all the organizations like made it made a point of saying something in honor of his memory and legacy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were at Letage in queen villete right on South Street.
Speaker 2: That was one of the hottest tickets in town for years.
Speaker 1: Fifteen years. Yeah, yep, yep, fifteen years. And COVID they were doing some virtual work during COVID. His leukemia diagnosis went public in twenty twenty two. He did bring the Cabaret back to the stage in twenty twenty four and performed a twentieth anniversary show at the Miller Theater last year.
Speaker 2: Yep. And that was a huge deal that he was back in the saddle. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: This is hard for an awful lot of people, and our hearts go out to all of them because we've lost a huge presence. And you know, I had remarked, Philadelphia has now lost two gay legends too close together. One Pierre Robert Ye who did just have a street aptly behind you are named after him, and and I'm sure there will be things happening for Dido as well. But I said, I think it's important not to gloss over the fact that these were gay Philadelphians that you know, the world lost. They had you know, mass appeal obviously, well beyond just the queer community. And I had said, especially in Pierre's case, I wonder how many of these rabid fans know that he was gay, right, because it wasn't a secret. You know, it was just not germane on the rock and roll radio show he hosted, right, but you know, his personal life and the causes that he championed. I mean we worked with him at the Age Walk every year. Yeah, it was was not a secret and saw him way many three a ms at the Midtown three I Call you day when everything closed. So yeah, and Dido also unapologetically queer and fabulous and wonderful and yeah.
Speaker 2: Furst thing. We were able to see him in wash room, right, which is where the interview came from, in anticipation of seeing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, big loss, Yes, big loss for all of us. Also since we last talked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we lost people Bryson as well. Yeah. People Bryson was like that that voice probably most famous mainstream wise for his duet with Regina.
Speaker 1: Bell, Right, Okay, I was you know, he's another one of those artists where when you start looking at his catalog, it's like, oh my god, that was him, that was him, that was that was him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. His famous duet with ROBERTA. Fleck was Tonight I Celebrated Love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Yes, yep, yep, tonight I Celebrate My Love. Made it to number four on the US Adult Contemporary Troy in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Three, and then of course Beauty and the Beast he dueted with Celine Dion.
Speaker 1: He reached number one in eighty four with if ever You're in My Arms Again?
Speaker 2: Yes, that was the jam. Peter Bryson was the man.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people are on the planet because their parents listened to his music one night.
Speaker 1: Right right. He and Luther Vandros are probably responsible for a percentage of the population. Yep, I think so, yeah, I think so. A Whole New World reached number one as well and knocked I Will Always Love You off as number one after a fourteen week run. Yeah yeah, impressive, impressive stuff.
Speaker 2: You could not get away from that damn duet.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It was like so in fact, that was our fucking junior prom theme.
Speaker 1: I think probably whole New World problem. Yeah yeah. He once told the Philadelphia Tribune, I'm trying to show men that it's okay to be sensitive and sensual instead of feeling like they have to be macho. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and he had a little cameo moment on The Golden Girls.
Speaker 1: Did he? Oh? Okay?
Speaker 2: Sophia and Dorothy were at Disney Disneyland or Disney World, one of the disneys, and Sophia was trying to escape Dorothy because Dorothy was being all emotional and clingy. So she made her way into this bar and Pebo Bryson was the piano player, and she was like, play that song again. I'm like, I just played it. You played it for her, you can play it for me. And then he's saying it's a small world after all.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay. He is survived by his wife Tanya, their son Robert, also a daughter Linda, and three grandchildren. Rest in power. Indeed, what else am I? God?
Speaker 2: And uh? This is from a couple of days ago Anthony had died.
Speaker 1: Yes, we just were watching Ted Lasso. Are we going to talk about that? And when we popped the culture?
Speaker 2: Yes, I did not realize that was him and Ted Lasso. Yes, yes, he played Rupert.
Speaker 1: Yes, the divorced, Yes, which explains how fierce why he was so fierce, especially with the trench coat and the flowing of it all, with the evil villain walk, that made.
Speaker 2: Some much sense. So you know him from what Buddy the Vampire Slayer. He played Giles, who was Buffy's like mentor and and and you know, gave her all the information that she needed to do her missions.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, he found international fameous Rupert Giles in the hit supernatural teen show Buffy in the late nineteen nineties. Yes, he passed from complications due to pneumonia. Yeah, but we recently discovered Ted Lasso and we'll talk about that later. But yes, loved it, loved his role.
Speaker 2: That's so crazy that I did not know that that was him.
Speaker 1: I did. I mean, I didn't. I wasn't a Buffy fan. I was busy in the nineties. I was busy, So I didn't. It wasn't in one of my things.
Speaker 2: Because that character is so fucking evil that it never occurred to me that he was played by someone I liked that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from the late eighties through you know, the mid two thousands. It's kind of a blur there, especially through the nineties, because that's fair. Two children, you were busy. I was busy, Yes, I was busy raising kids and so and neither of them were old enough to have been watching Buffy when it was out, when it was popular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was in college.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That was Lisa and I's little guilty pleasure. There you go, minus the guilt.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that right, that was a couple of days ago. Anthony had May he rest in peace, and we're gonna probably do we want to take a little break. Yeah, let's do that, and then we're going to come back with good news.
Speaker 2: We have some we do.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, and we're back. Qu're back. So we got good news. Uh So, Colorado Governor Jared Polus kicked off Pride Month by signing a new conversion therapy law. Yes, as we know, since last we talked, I think the Supreme Court is fucking around with that. He signed a new law, you know, and I have talked about this before a nauseum. You know, conversion therapy all the bands and we need them control you know, legitimate licensed therapy, right, which is not exactly where most conversion therapy is happening. Anyway, it's happening out of the churches right by certainly unlicensed individuals, and they were pretty much unaffected anyway. What he did post to social media after he signed this bill was, conversion therapy can be harmful, traumatizes kids, and does a scam to waste people's hard earned money. They're here to kick off pride months. I signed a new law that provides Colorado's who have been subject to this dehumanizing treatment with the tools to heal and move on to live strong, healthy and authentic lives. I also took action to ensure that no taxpayer funds are wasted on these scams.
Speaker 2: Ha.
Speaker 1: The bill, which is called the Civil Actions for Conversion Therapy Survivors Act, would allow conversion therapy survivors to sue therapists for damages if they tried to change their sexual orientation or gender identity. That this is an end run kind of you know, around them trying to say that we can't have laws to prevent it. The hell yeah, exactly. I hope in my lifetime I see a Supreme Court that isn't primarily bought and fucking paid for.
Speaker 2: Right because they don't make sense anymore. Anyway.
Speaker 1: It defines the bill defines conversion therapy as treatment provided by a license again mental health professional with the predetermined outcome of changing someone's gender identity or sexual orientation. This effectively keeps the bill from applying to members of the clergy or layman ministry. Most conversion therapy in the US is performed by religious organizations and not licensed therapists, and it creates an exemption for discussions of LGBTQ plus identities that come up in therapy, which is a matter of contention in a recent Supreme Court case. You know what it does do, at least in Colorado, is make sure any therapists who were so inclined to return to that type of therapy, which you know is death affirming, can be sued and good good, they shouldn't have a license and do that.
Speaker 2: State Rep. Alex Valdez, who is also the bill's sponsor in the state House, said this laws for all of the LGBTQ Colorado's who were told something about them was wrong because of who they were or who they loved. With the recent US Supreme Court ruling against Colorado's conversion therapy ban, we are committed to offering survivors of this harmful practice the protections they deserve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Supreme Court, so just a little bit. They said that disorder is a reaction to the recent Supreme Court ruling against Colorado's conversion therapy ban, which was passed in twenty nineteen, never enforced, by the way, this is all such bullshit anyway. The ban on conversion therapy, while never enforced in the state, of course, a Christian therapist sued, saying that it violated her freedom of speech.
Speaker 2: Bitch.
Speaker 1: She argued that it would ban her from even discussing LGBTQ plus identities with her clients, even though the state said repeatedly it would not.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, no, if the only thing you have to say right is it's wrong, and it should be.
Speaker 1: But of course it was a Christian right, of course, and what the court ultimately ruled. They ruled against the ban in Chiles v. Salazar, saying it violates the therapist's First Amendment rights. Bullshit, and sent the case back to a lower court to reevaluate the law under a higher legal standard. Mm hmm. Yeah. Experts believe this means that the twenty nineteen conversion therapy ban and bands like it that have been passed in twenty six other states and hundreds of municipalities will likely eventually be overturned by courts. What the fuck? What are you talking about? First Amendment rights? This a therapist, right, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: No, they just like to say shit. Whenever they don't get their way, they pull out the First Amendment like that. If the only thing you have to say how LGBTQ identities in your practice is that it's wrong it needs to be changed, then yes, you are. You can't do that.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine the belly laughter that comes out of these billionaires that use these stupid fucking Christians as puppets constantly.
Speaker 2: Because it always works.
Speaker 1: Seriously, Yeah, yeah, here goes to on a hypothetical. This is how they waste the court's time. This is how they waste tax payer money. Yep. Can you imagine how they sit around and laugh hysterically they must when we say eat the rich, it doesn't what doesn't mean all of them, It just means another one or two. The rest will get the memo tax them.
Speaker 2: Just look at them in the eye and lick your lips, and lick your lips, suck on your fingertips.
Speaker 1: Anyway, this was a creative answer and you know, I hope more states do it again. These bands are about out, you know, licensed therapists to begin with. The only I think only New Zealand and maybe Canada went so far as to ban it in terms of religion, and they should it should be right, it absolutely should be. They're making money on misery that they manufacture, that they create, by the lies they tell about queer and trans people, and the parents that they infect with this nonsense, and the god that they have to sell.
Speaker 2: That's what this all is.
Speaker 1: It's a fucking game that kills our people all the time. You know, I had my own little version of it and it was disgusting and it leaves scars truly period. You know, it feeds on the self loathing that the church helps create in the first goddamn place, right.
Speaker 2: The venomous snake eating its own tail.
Speaker 1: But we're in good news. So that is good news. That is good news, and I and I hope that it, you know, sets forth a model. This isn't oh yeah, but licensed therapists have no business, no business whatsoever, peddling the idea that you can cure yourself of something that is not an affliction. It is a kin to tying your left hand behind your back because you're left handed. It's just as stupid, or I don't know, cutting out your irises because you have blue eyes. It's that dumb show.
Speaker 2: This is, you know, don't give nobody no idea.
Speaker 1: Seriously, Sesame Street, Yes we're in God damn. It posted a sweet message of love for Pride Months. The headline even says que the backlash. Yes, they feel triggered over Sesame Street on a normal day.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, And it's the you know, it's the post that I've I've shared on my own social media repeatedly. It's like stacks of the fur.
Speaker 1: Isn't this the corners back in twenty nineteen that they first did this.
Speaker 2: No, probably because that's how long I've been making that.
Speaker 1: Most I know. It was shared again for this Pride month. Yes, the sacks of different color furs and a rebow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Happy Pride Months from Sesame Street. Join us in celebrating and uplifting the LGBTQA plus members of our community.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it was retexted apparently, and there was a close up photo of the fur stripes of the rainbow and it goes black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, yep, and violet love that and of course, of course lips of TikTok of course.
Speaker 2: Has a big oh.
Speaker 1: I know she's been trying to explode herself. I wish she'd go ahead and do that. Just let it fly, baby. You know she said, this is absolutely disgusting. Isn't this a show for kids? Uh? Huh? Why aren't you guys pushing this? Why are you guys pushing this onto children? Bitch, people exist, Sesame Street is grooming your kids. This is absolutely just God, why don't you fuck up them?
Speaker 2: You know that thing where if you say a word or times, it just stops having a meeting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and turning points. This is literally a showman for young children. Yes it is, Yes it is, and some of them are going to grow up to find out that they are queer or trans yep, and remember that they were affirmed by Sesame Street and not the hateful people that you are and that you you are grooming ding ding a deestination.
Speaker 2: I would much rather grow up a young queer child knowing that Cookie Monster has my back.
Speaker 1: Bitch, I know, I love it. Keep going, Sesame Street, keep doing it. Yeah, yeah, I think it's fabulous.
Speaker 2: Sesame Street has always been a pinnacle of progressive thought.
Speaker 1: They have, they have, and good on them.
Speaker 2: I saw black people on Sesame Street before I saw manywhere else. Thank you, yeah, please, and thank you.
Speaker 1: It was always diverse. It was always just about values that we should all share.
Speaker 2: I learned Spanish one, exactly.
Speaker 1: The fact that there are Spanish people, you know, in the world, and they speak a different language and in our nation, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I learned about as l right, right, these are.
Speaker 1: What It boggles the mind that they have a problem with.
Speaker 2: These are children.
Speaker 1: You want to fuck them, but you don't want them to know about gay people, right your side? Fox them hides it. And we still haven't seen all those files, right well, and you want to all this false outrage. I'm so tired of it.
Speaker 2: But you know who's not in those files, Grover, Grover.
Speaker 1: Elmo.
Speaker 2: Thank you, but either Burt nor Ornie right exactly.
Speaker 1: It was very sweet, It was very sweet. These people are ridiculous. They keep I just I'm waiting, I really am for these tides to turn, and I have to believe that they will. I live in hope and that you know, collectively, we look around and realize that all of this manufactured bullshit is hurting us. It's hurting us all not making us stronger, you know. Taking us to war is not helping us, you know. And now the families that can ill afford it the most are paying higher prices, even higher prices for food, and ridiculously high prices for fuel, you know, and in a nation that currently wants to go backwards in terms of the technology that would get us away from foreign oil. Because all they're worried about are they're wallets in front of them. How do they not think about their own grandchildren? That's what I don't get.
Speaker 2: I'll never because their grandparents didn't give a fuck about them, so they have no basis of comparison.
Speaker 1: Maybe they won't. They've given enough of a fuck to leave them rich, many of them. And that's the problem with wealth that you inherit and anywhere. Yeah, we've got these these idiots walking around with more money than God ever intended and they've never actually built a damn thing, more money than has never built or thought of that And he bought it, he bought it. It was just reading an article where he bought Twitter just because of his daughter. I'm like, you know what he probably did. It's that shallow and ridiculous. They're so fragile. We're in good news, good news that Sesame Street don't give a fuck and thank you for the love continuing, and this is good news. The murder trial for O'sha simply finally happened in New York City, and this jury is deliberating as we speak. Yes, the man accused of killing him. They computed their first deliberations. I want to say on June third, but as of this morning, this is the last news article I can find. Yes, the trial is of Dmitry Popov, who fatally stabbed O'sha outside a Midwood gas station in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Yes, we talked about that on this show when it happened, and I am glad that the trial is underway and we're hopefully going to get some justice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, jurors did ask some questions about the charges in the case. There are the judge. We read the definitions for all nine counts against him, including second degree murder as a hate crime and manslaughter as a hate crime. And there's no question in my mind that this was a hate crime. But this little bit, because they never take responsibility for what they do when there are consequences. He was seventeen at the time of the stabbing, is now twenty. Sad appeared in court, handcuffed and wearing a white button down shirt. Family members sat behind him. Please, you weren't behind him when you needed to be that far. Oh, let's see, Sibley and a group of friends were dancing.
Speaker 2: Yep, they were vogue and they were cutting up and you know, it was fierce.
Speaker 1: And pop up of course, and his friends began shouting homophobic and racist slurs and he stabbed him ohay, in the chest with a knife. Yeah, they're trying to say he acted in self defense. That's what his defense terms or sing. Yeah, I was so afraid of these faggots who were dancing in the street that I had to defend myself. Yes, what were they going to do? Baby? Kick you?
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's that. You might have gotten caught up in a dip.
Speaker 1: And wasn't there some filming? Wasn't there some footage of this? I thought? I feel like there.
Speaker 2: Was security footage probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think maybe. But they were just having fun, they were enjoying their queer selves, and it just offended this child's sensibilities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because this was This would have been when Beyonce's Renaissance album came out, So of course they were cutting up at any given time. Yeah, because that's what you do.
Speaker 1: God forbid you'd be black and queer in public. Yeah. So I really do hope they returned this as a hate crime. Murdered murder too was a hate crime for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's hard to argue against it. So fingers crossed, and I'm glad that the.
Speaker 1: Good news is justice is happening. Yes, that's why this is in good news. Correct, It is finally happening and deliberations continue. Yes, so uh again I mentioned this top of the show. The new Jersey Senate to approve the bill to protect reproductive and transgender healthcare. This goes in front of the full Assembly on June the eleventh. I will be out front mceing the rally and the vote will take place after. My guess is the rally will probably be about eleven thirty for an hour and the vote will probably take place shortly after one o'clock. So that's my guess. But that'll be confirmed this week and we'll share it on our page and all of that, but this is monumental. It is in our state, and I am thrilled. Let's see. Oh I love this one the motherland.
Speaker 2: I put this here for you.
Speaker 1: Pride returns to Budapest after the dictator was voted out. Freedom and love cannot be banned. Yeah, I love this they you know throughout the dictator. Finally, finally, finally an arab uh huh, and authorities gave the green light for the Hungarian capital's Pride parade to march again this month after last year's event was banned under victor what's his face? It's exciting, it's exciting.
Speaker 2: So we can go visit Hungary now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what connects us will be stronger than what divides us. Prime Minister Peter Mudja said in his swearing in Hungary will be home for every Hungarian and everyone can feel like they have a place in the Hungarian nation. Family, friends and communities will be able to speak to each other again. I have always wanted to go to you know, see where my mother's people come from. And my cousin's been twice and this is heartening. Yeah, I wanted to see Budapeshe it's beautiful, It really is beautiful. You know, I've certainly seeing a lot of pictures and stuff. Yeah, but I would love to see it in person. But you know, under that regime, it was things are scary exactly. I'm going to have to start learning Hungarian now, aren't I. I can only be of very little help, and Hungarian is not easy to learn. And it is its own thing, there isn't. It's not like the Romance languages. It's not like, you know, Spanish, therefore you pick you can pick up French and Italian. It's it's not like that at all. It's its own mess. I understand. It sounds good to me, it's just the one that's the mess. I grew up and I said, everybody's house had two languages. They should, you know, the one that they taught you and the one they taught you some I was the bad words.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was always jealous of people who spoke a different language at home.
Speaker 1: I thought it was cool. You know what happened, And a lot was once people came to America, they wanted to be American. So a lot of folks didn't speak the mother tongue at home if they could avoid it. Some couldn't, you know, some didn't assimilate as well. Whatever, But you know, my grandmother and mother would speak in Hungarian when they did not want you to know what they were talking about, and I could pick up words. I still can only pick up words in a conversation. I can't I was never conversant. My mother was conversant. I'm pretty fluent, but I don't think she could write, and I'm not sure if she could read. My grandmother could read and write and Hungarian and whis fluent.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And even though she was a first generation American, my grandmother was born in the United States right after her family came here from Buda pesh okay, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: So I'm down for the challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I love that there's a new day and a new spirit and a dictator is gone. May America have similar news. So this is good news. I picked up a bit ago. I know this was from April, so maybe it might be even better news by now. But the Selka, our beloved the Selka Ukrainian restaurant, famous in the East Village, is going to be open twenty four to seven again. Yeah, at least Friday and Saturdays as of this writing, which is usually when we stumble in at five am for right, for Kabasi and for Ogison, we get that whole big.
Speaker 2: Platter after having been at crisis.
Speaker 1: Amazing borsh after Marie's crisis. Yes, many a meal eaten their pre breakfast. But yeah, they're they're they're expanding their hours again. So I'm I'm excited about that because it was always twenty four hours, no matter when.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because we never I know, I never have been there before four am.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean you can go in there anytime, of course, you go, obviously, but it's just right that's when we went. That's when it was best. It's great. It's great drunk food. It's great food. It's great food. Yeah, but usually it wasn't dinner because so many times we would go, well, the Edison Cafe is not there anymore. But like when I would be in New York with my cousin, we would go to the Edison Cafe, get a nice bullets of their soup and a little bread or whatever, and then go to a show right on Broadway. Then we might have you know, then we would go to Marie after the show ten thirty whatever for a little while, and we might have a late dinner or a late dinner right down the block at eleven thirty or whatever, and then go back right because Maurice was open till four, right, and we would stay until four, sometimes much later because we knew the piano player and helped him count of tips, right, you know, And so we would be then either cabbing or walking. We walked over to Asalka and then you know, get back to our hotel room and sleep at seven or something. But there. Yeah, so they haven't been good tests since COVID. Good times. They haven't been open twenty four hours since COVID, and so it's coming back, and you know, support them because and support them because the food is exclude. Yes, it's just Scremford food. It's wonderful, wonderful comfort food.
Speaker 2: I've enjoyed everything I've ever had there.
Speaker 1: Oh, so that was good news. That was something fun that made me happy. You So this was this was fun again. This was from early April. There were ads. So here's the headline, Anti trans attack ads fail again as Wisconsin liberal wins Supreme Court by a historic twenty margin.
Speaker 2: Boom.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Judge Chris Taylor defeated Judge Maria Lazar in the Wisconsin Supreme Court race by twenty points, the largest margin in twenty six years by any justice. The race is significant because Lazar ran on a heavily anti trans ad strategy YEP, reminiscent of the strategy used by some Republicans in the twenty twenty four election, running ads that demonized transgender people as threats to the safety and dreams of children. When Conservatives attacked Taylor's pro LGBTQ plus legislative record, including bills she authored supporting transgender rights, she did not disavoult or distance herself from it. Despite the ads, Taylor won by a historic margin, following two other Wisconsin Supreme Court races in recent years where anti trans ads strategy was a major part of the losing campaign. Losing and these are the kinds of stories we need to follow just to balance these the hate and nonsense. Is to really look at what's going on. You know, I agree if you're trans, and in Wisconsin, there's certainly hope right that part, that part, yes, and this Lazaar ran on a heavy anti trans strategy. One ad opened with a mother saying it's just not fair. My daughter works so hard and loves sports. But now I'm worried about her competing against boys because of activists like Chris Taylor. It breaks my heart, as if you had one to see her safety and dreams dashed by activist politicians.
Speaker 2: Oh bitch, yeah, or maybe your daughter's just not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And they said she would Taylor would legislate from the bench. No, the opposite would have happened to knock down voter id uh huh. Abortion up to birth. Please, that's not a thing. Unallow boys in girls' sports.
Speaker 2: No, not a thing.
Speaker 1: And you know, if we just stopped gendering sports, I don't know and went by weight class, it's abital yep, but you know, whatever, whatever, what do I know? Yeah, she was targeted left, right and sideways, and it just helped her win, big, big. She cruised to victory sixty forty ha mm hmm. Yep.
Speaker 2: That's not close.
Speaker 1: Yep, No, it's not close. It expands the liberal majority to five to two. It is the largest liberal majority on the court since at least the nineteen seventies. How about that she carried more than twenty counties that voted for Donald Trump in twenty twenty four. This is the other thing we have to look at, and virtually every county in the state swung toward Democrats compared to the presidential race. Perhaps most remarkably, Taylor flipped a county part of the notorious Woo counties Waksha, Azuki, and Washington that have been the bedrock of Republican Republican strengths in southeastern Wisconsin for decades, she flipped Azuki County. In Dane County, Taylor hit eighty four percent. Good for her, good for Wisconsin. Indeed, Yeah, I do. I think equality is going to win ultimately. I think, you know, I think Americans are tired of the nonsense.
Speaker 2: Lord knows.
Speaker 1: I I certainly hope so. But we have to follow those things. What's next? Back in April, there was a black trans woman, Devanta Curtis. We were not recording to talk about this, but she was found dead in her Chicago apartment after assault, suffering multiple blunt force injuries. Yes April filth and DeAndre bell is the man who has been now charged with her murder. Twenty four year old. He has charged with first degree murder and possession of a stolen vehicle BAM, which means there was intent, which means they probably did know each other. Yep, but oh, court documents alleged he searched online for methods of killing prior to the attack. He googled how to kill someone with a hammer, and if a person gets hit in the head with a hammer while sleeping, what happens.
Speaker 2: It doesn't get much more premeditated than that.
Speaker 1: No kidding, no kidding, fucker. Yeah, and then he went and stole her car. They found him later the day that they found her with her car and keys and a bloody hammer. Yeah. The good news is the good news is yeah, he's being charged with first degree murder. So good, that is good news. Any bit of justice rest in power, sister, But yes, it is good news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, any bit of justice is good news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whenever they actually get us gendered right, at least in death, you know, and then we see some follow through by the police, because you know, we've certainly seen the times when getting our attention was hard the police. I mean, yes, so this was fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, federal court sides with trans athletes and says Donald Trump's executive orders aren't law, no ship, which is what we've been screaming.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, Yes, we have yes, we have Minnesota schools by law allowing trans athletes to play based on their gender identity still stands. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is also from mid April.
Speaker 1: A federal peers court in Minnesota ruled in favor of trans athletes, rejecting a push to ban trans kids from girls' sports in the state. While the judges ruled that female Athletes United FAU, the group that brought the case, did not demonstrate a private right of action. The decision also hinged on the fact that Donald Trump's executive orders do not represent settled law.
Speaker 2: Nope, it's like a wish list, but it's nothing official.
Speaker 1: FAU sued over the fact that a trans high school senior referred to as Jane Doe in the lawsuit is the captain of a varsity softball team in the Minnesota State High School League. Executive guidance and agency findings in and of themselves do not reflect settled law, wrote the Eighth Circuit Court Judge Raymond Grunder in a decision on behalf of the three judge panel. The Executive Branch's views on trans participation in sports may guide its own enforcement approach, but they cannot independently establish a strong likelihood that dose participation violates Title nine or it's implementing regulations. Uh huh you yeah, yeah. The Minnesota State High School League introduced a bylaw back in twenty sixteen that allowed for students to participate in sports consistent with their gender, identity or expression. It went largely unchallenged for nearly a decade, and no one was harmed, right, or we're going to be Yeah, no one was harmed. Right, But an anti trance group looking for bullshit decided to sue in May of twenty twenty five, claiming trans participation in girls' sports was discriminatory under Title nine. Shit, yeah, just shut the hell up. Yeah, let's see. A lower court denied their appeal for a trans band and their request for the State High School League's by law to be blocked, and the Court of Appeals upheld the ruling, while adding some additional perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so there.
Speaker 1: Ye. Court noted that it is only possible to sue under Title nine if it can be proven that discrimination occurred and was intentional. Exactly because fau's allegations sound disparate impact and do not allow for an inference of discriminatory intent or deliberate indifference, we conclude that its claim of ineffective accommodation and unequal treatment under Title nine are not claims of intentional discrimination.
Speaker 2: Because that's not how that works.
Speaker 1: Right, You're arguing against inclusion and calling it discrimination. Thank god, the rebellian shit doesn't hold up everywhere, right right anyway, Yeah, fuck them, and we thank you. We're gonna see more of this. We're gonna see more of this, you know, because it was good lull in the first place. These are good policies in the first place. They are in line with Title nine. They are in line with sanity and decency and you know, the rights of human beings. That's where I think we're gonna go back to because how long do you bang this drum? I mean, we watched them do it. We're old enough to have seen this bullshit play out, right, you know. We saw how effective the fight against gay marriage was in two thousand and four, right when Bush got is second term, God help us. But then by twenty fifteen marriage equality was the rule of the land and no one has been harmed the eleven years now that it's been just fine. So yeah, yeah, I think we're going to see more of that. Oh I'm sure, I really do you know? But good news. Nonetheless, Indeed, let's see what else we put up here. It looks like one more.
Speaker 2: Yes. A teacher suspended for supporting trans athlete gets reinstated after allies fought back. His school district just determined that a Title nine complaint against an allegedly trans student was meritless.
Speaker 1: Yes. A Michigan school district's athletic director was reinstated four months after he publicly empathized with a transgender student athlete at the center of a Title nine investigation. Doctor chat Hessen was placed an administrative leave after he spoke with LGBTQ plus news site uncloseted media about the athlete, a volleyball player competing for Skyline High School in Monroe County, his school district. Hessen's school district was under investigation at the time after a local father had filed a complaint alleging that his daughter had been unfairly made to compete against an allegedly trans athlete.
Speaker 2: And my daughter sucks, so he can't be put in a body compet Yeah.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: The student at the center of the investigation had previously been outed and dead named by Fox News Sports site OutKick in dozens of stories and social posts targeting her, the school district and the Michigan lawmakers who developed the state's inclusive athletic policy targeting her. This district right, so they targeted everyone. The aforementioned father's complaint alleged that these policies violated Title nine right, a funeral law prohibiting sex based educational discrimination. Good Christ and of course, Riley Gaines and her search for relevance, reposted part of the interview to Twitter, saying it was amazing to watch grown men act like calling a boy a boy is the worst atrocity a human is capable of committing. She would have no relevance in the world her fifth place asks were it not for her hate being paid for. Yeah, but I hate people the hate.
Speaker 2: She's such a tool, literally a dull and rusty too.
Speaker 1: If that's the relevance you get in this world, I don't want it. You know what I mean? Like, if that's what it takes is you've got to sell your soul and be openly pathetic, likethetic. Yeah, someone ever taught you actual values? Shame I was fifth, knew I know and money you were fifth. No matter what that's the ridiculous part. You were fifth, No matter fucking what, you tied for a fifth and somehow.
Speaker 2: Made a You weren't even good enough to be sixth.
Speaker 1: Nope, shut up. The Board of Education initiated an independent investigation of the claim. The reinstatement occurred after investigators determined that all claims against the school district were unsubstantiated and the district was not in violation of Title I. No, they weren't. Claims regarding equal access to teams, the provision of a safe environment, and the protection of student privacy and bodily integrity were unsubstantiated, according to school district superintendent Andrew saw The district's decision to place Hessen on leave inspired outrage from local officials, rightly so, who signed an open letter calling for his reinstatement. It was in March. She was reinstated in April. At their core, doctor Hesson's remarks expressed empathy for a young student athlete navigating unconscionable scrutiny and demonstrated the kind of care and leadership we should expect from educators and athletic leaders entrusted with supporting students. Here here, this is leadership. We need more compassion in our society right now, not less, said signatory and local county prosecutor Eli Sabatt. But at the very least, we should expect school officials of all people to give every child grace and understanding. For a school official to empathize with a student who's been targeted by adults isn't objectionable. To the contrary, it's the bare minimum we should all expect. So there, so there, it's good news, it is. Yeah, that's what we found. Anyway, it's time for that little segment we like to call shine employ people taking pleasure and the main yay.
Speaker 2: So the headline Maga Man, which sounds like the worst superhero ever. Maga Man secretly recorded men using restrooms yep, claiming he was looking to catch grooming. I hope he stretched first, because that was some twist.
Speaker 1: Used meta smart glasses to record men using urinals and then posted the video to the internet.
Speaker 2: He has been arrested, which should be a perfect example of why those smart glasses are not a good fucking idea.
Speaker 1: Right, of course this was in Florida. Of course, this was a sixty one year old Florida man.
Speaker 2: Arrested who looks like a thumb.
Speaker 1: Arrested on charges of video voyeurism after filming men in the bathroom at the April eighteenth Naples PrideFest and posting so he went to Pride to hang in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: To take videos of men, to.
Speaker 1: Take videos of men peeing, so he could catch groomers.
Speaker 2: To make sure that they weren't doing anything.
Speaker 1: Oh wrong, Baby, just.
Speaker 2: Suck the dick. Damn it, God, just suck the dick.
Speaker 1: It would be a kinder world, wouldn't it. God.
Speaker 2: First, you'd feel better and you couldn't talk shit because you got a dick in your mouth. God, damn it.
Speaker 1: Dude's name is Andrew Yats. He posted a forty minute bodycam video of his sheets of his time at the event, which included bathroom footage. The video also shows him asking various vendors and attendees whether they think it's against the First Amendment that the nearby streets were blocked off, presumably for security so that protesters could not get too close. Many told him that it was likely a response to last year, when the anti LGBTQ plus extremist group Proud.
Speaker 2: Boys showed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he claimed in the title of the video that he was documenting the grooming churches at the Naples Gay Pride Tranny event. Well, it says tra ny event. We okay, all right, this is what he said or wrote. Comps had me follow Oh yeah, this is all his misspelling. Sorry everywhere. The video is still up on YouTube. In the bathroom footage, he uses the restroom, then captures others in a mirror while washing his hands. The people recorded ended up being too undercover. Oh this gets better, and reportedly told police they felt shocked and embarrassed by the video posted online. Yes, I did go in public bathroom. Nobody was in there. I went in the stall to pay, He told the newspaper. My intent was not to get I guess dick picks like they're trying to say, Oh honey, if it was illegal, why didn't the comps have it taken down? If it was illegal, why isn't their logic you know, never ceases.
Speaker 2: Please described my face to me because I know I'm making one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what it looks like. I'm not looking at you. Um yeah, oh my god. Ry. A statement from Naples Pride said Sheets was using meta smart glasses to record and pointed out that the irony is difficult to ignore. Okay, a man who publicly accused our community of grooming now stands accused of unlawfully recording people in a place where privacy is expected. Naples Pride remains committed to providing a safe, welcoming environment for all Pride Fast attendees and is grateful to the Naples Police Department and Collier County Sheriff's Office for taking this matter seriously and protecting the privacy and safety of those at the event.
Speaker 2: If you would have just sucked the dick, this whole thing would have been over in under ten minutes and we could have all moved on with our lives. But now you've got to Now you're.
Speaker 1: In the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A booking report revealed that detectives were already concerned about sheets during the event. One detective said they saw him trying to enter the event with a handgun Jesus, but securities stopped him. He returned the gun to his car. He allegedly returned later to get an air of fifteen style rifle and bring it to the event's entrance. She has been charged with both video voyeurism and video voyeurism dissemination.
Speaker 2: How small is it, dude?
Speaker 1: Seriously? Yeah? So whatever reason you were there, sir.
Speaker 2: None of it was because of the shit you tried to say, no and yeah, consequences God, here they are again, just public service announcement.
Speaker 1: Suck the dick right, just stop stop all this. I was trying to film rumors, m really really.
Speaker 2: With one hand.
Speaker 1: Good God, Good God in heaven. What's next? Oh? This was fun.
Speaker 2: California Supreme Court disbars anti LGBTQ plus lawyer who tried to help Trump overturn the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 1: Ah yes.
Speaker 2: John Eastman once chaired the National Organization for Marriage, a group that opposed marriage equality. Ah So, the California Supreme Court disbarred anti LGBTQ plus lawyer John Eastman from practicing law in the state because of his efforts to help Donald Trump overturn the twenty twenty presidential elections. The state's High Court declined to review Eastman's appeal of a lower court's recommendation that he be stripped of his legal license. He has pledged to appeal the High Court's decision to the US Supreme Court. Shocker, The state Supreme Court upheld a twenty twenty four decision by the State Bar Association to disbar Eastman. In that decision, State Bar Judge Ivett Roland found Eastman culpable on ten of eleven counts filed by the California State Bar for his quote, moral turpitude, and false and misleading statements about the twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Election Chickens coming home.
Speaker 2: To roost, Yes, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Eastman's lawyer, Randall Miller, said that he'll appeal the case to the US Supreme Court in an effort to repudiate this threat to the rule of law and our nation's adversarial system of justice.
Speaker 1: Good Christ, uh huh.
Speaker 2: He still has a license to practice law in DC. I'm sure he'll be more welcome.
Speaker 1: There or Bypox News. God knows he sounds ripe to be a comment uh huh.
Speaker 2: Suggested that Trump and the Republican Party tried to overturn Trump's twenty twenty election losses in seven key swing states using a proposed slate of alternate presidential electors willing to vote for Trump in the electoral College. Eastman faced state charges along with other lawyers who encouraged Trump supporters to sign paperwork falsely attesting that they were legitimate presidential electors allowed to vote against President elect Joe Biden's electoral college victory, and of course these alternate electors had no legal authority to claim themselves as twenty twenty electoral college voters. The drafted strategy of Eastman's said that their votes would have allowed Trump to claim he'd won more electoral votes than the actual winner, Joe Biden, who received over seven million more votes than Trump.
Speaker 1: Dude was a fucking idiot. Yeah, and he can't practice law in California. Yes, good, good.
Speaker 2: It's called the fuck around and find Out school of Law.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, good.
Speaker 2: In this semester is the find out.
Speaker 1: I want to remember Nuremberg. Oh yes, I'm just like, I have these visions of accountability in this world, seriously, like in this country, of these people who think they can get away with everything. I mean, which is what this administration is doing right now, right testing every boundary of our democracy if it holds, If it holds, uh, and there are midterms and they get their ass as kicked as they should. Yeah, yeah, I have I have dreams of more of this happening, and these people being disgraced and descreded. It as they have earned, Yes earned, Yes, so good. Yeah good. Here's one this I've been I've been dying for this. Kennedy Center.
Speaker 2: Yes, Center orders staff to remove Trump's name. Hallelujah, hallelujah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. On Thursday, this just happened. The Kennedy Center's General Council ordered the staff to remove President Donald Trump's name from the building by June twelfth, according to a memo obtained by less than a week from now, in order to comply with a recent court order, staff were also instructed to immediately update some Kennedy Center documentation, including their email signatures and marketing materials, to remove Trump's name. According to the memo, to comply with disorder, you must immediately change email signatures, letterhead and other documents to reflect the name as the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts or Kennedy Center. Other changes, such as to templates and forms, sign it brochures, and website pages must be completed no later than Friday, June twelveth Get this bullshit off of my signageh the director. Is a blow to the President's bid to control of the Performing Arts Center and his broader effort to put his stamp on the nation's capital. His takeover of the institution began in the early days of his second term, when he gutted the existing board and installed loyalists. Yeah Yeah. When asked for comment on the memo, the White House referred CNN to Trump's truth social post the fuck out of here, responding to last week's court ruling, What what anyway?
Speaker 2: Cut to all of those artists and organizations flooding back?
Speaker 1: One hopes, right, but we don't know how, Like, this doesn't mean that the board changes, Like, let's see what happens. This shakes the fucking name off it, which is a good start, right. US District Judge Casey Cooper concluded that the law establishing the center makes crystal clear that the center is to be named for President Kennedy and it cannot bear any other formal name or public memorial based on the board's unilateral say so, Congress gave the Kennedy Center its name, and only Congress can change it. He gave officials two weeks to remove any signage that included Trump's name and update its website to remove all references to the name Trump Kennedy Center or the Donald J. Trump and John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing. The Kennedy Center is an existing organization. The people that are sitting on the board currently are the board of the Trump Kennedy. Well, so if that organization no longer exists, doesn't that board aren't they stripped of power?
Speaker 1: Okay? So since it's founding, the executive branch has had oversight over the board of trustees, meaning the President has had oversight over that, while Congress has been responsible for annual appropriations for its operation and maintenance. So I don't know that he's According to Trump, I have instructed the Department of Commerce to make all necessary arrangements with Congress to allow a full and complete transfer of this institution, giving them the responsibility of its operation, maintenance, and management. He wrote on a true social post. Of course he's being treated unfairly. He has no interest in continuing lest he was free to do what he wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So if that's the case, then I hope that Congress becomes turns blue and gets rid of all these Charlottan's and puts back a board that actually knows something about what they're doing exactly.
Speaker 2: And then would get some actual artists in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we could get some actual artists back in the Kennedy and.
Speaker 2: That would frost his fucking cookies. If everybody came screaming back again.
Speaker 1: You know they would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why is everybody performing to?
Speaker 1: This is a big smack in the face.
Speaker 2: Yep, And I love it. Maybe it'll wake him up.
Speaker 1: You can't wake dementia. It doesn't work that way.
Speaker 2: I mean, literally wake him up. He's always fallen asleep.
Speaker 1: Okay and right. A judge tosses the Kennedy Center suit against a musician who canceled their Christmas Eve show.
Speaker 2: Ah, it was a nice little one two punch m hm.
Speaker 1: Attorneys from musician Chuck Red say a DC Superior Court judge dismissed a breach of contract lawsuit filed against Red after he canceled a Christmas Eve performance at the Kennedy Center in protest of President Donald Trump's influencer over the venue, which any and everyone of any character did. The dismissal on Friday was granted under Washington's anti slap laws, which are I know, which are designated to prevent meritless lawsuits intended to silence opposing points of view on matters of public interest. Read a drummer and vibraphone player who has toured with everyone from Dizzy Gillespie to Ray Brown, has presided over our holiday jazz jams at the Kennedy Center since two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: He called off last year's performance shortly after Trump's handpicked board at the Kennedy Center voted to add the president's name to the facility.
Speaker 2: He said, do bodoo hell no.
Speaker 1: Quote. One of his lawyers, Lisa J. Banks said, quote. The Center sued mister Red because he publicly and rightly object acted to adding Donald Trump's name to the Kennedy Center, a living memorial to former President John F. Kennedy. Yep, this is his lawyer, Lisa J. Banks, one of his lawyers. The lawsuit against mister Red was political retribution, pure and simple by the Trump Kennedy Center, and the court correctly solid as such and dismissing the case with prejudice. They can't bring it back. Ah. Yep, so good good. They're very pleased with the judges reeling another smack in the face. Yep, this is what happens. This is what happens when you vote for a reality star, especially the second time. This is what you get. I'm assuming he actually wanted to form, but this is what you get. You get, you know, from top to bottom, idiots sick of fans running the government. Indeed, yeah, you get lobbyists running you know, the institutions that are supposed to keep us safe. Yeah, the regulatory institutions. All about money, all about greed, all about power, all about nonsense. Yep, oh god, I want the experts in charge again, you know, I miss adults?
Speaker 2: Word up?
Speaker 1: I do. Yeah. This has been your moment of.
Speaker 4: Employ people taking pleasure.
Speaker 2: Real and we're grateful for it.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah. So that's been more fun stuff, So hopefully we'll get to more later. Kids. Do you have a And I know that you have been telling me you have had several fifteen minute phaves that have come and gone since last we sat down to record. Do you have a fifteen minute today you would like to share?
Speaker 2: I do, And luckily this one is one that I've been holding on to for a while because it keeps just living in my head. And now we're in Pride season, so it's even more appropriate. I believe I said to you when this song came out that it was officially the faggottiest thing on the planet, and I found you say that.
Speaker 1: It's like there's been a race, so who skipped it across the finish line first.
Speaker 2: This week is still holding the top spot in my head is a Runway by Lady Gaga in Doci.
Speaker 1: I just you've been dying to talk about this.
Speaker 2: I can't quit this song. It's so fierce, it's so fun, it's so faggety, like my wrists just get limper every time I listen to it. I always put it on first thing when I'm driving to work because it just gives me that it's a toss up between this song and the County as to which I play first to go to work. But we already did the Counties fifty minute fave, so we did.
Speaker 1: But you know, hey, yeah, shout out.
Speaker 2: So this week is is Runway by Lady Gaga and Doci aka the faggetiest song ever.
Speaker 1: All Right, we'll be right back, Mahalla play might be on time.
Speaker 2: Just wait on, come on this Papa, little little.
Speaker 1: Saturday on the front roll swimming.
Speaker 4: Yes, doing sw yes, little know on that girl Monday Sunday, I can try to dance angel A runway Monday, Sunday Love on.
Speaker 2: Monday.
Speaker 5: I could turn a dance door into a free weeks. I'm gonna make broom my bodies on a rat can. A man who into a fan camera flashing lights.
Speaker 2: On fucking click click click click everywhere I go.
Speaker 5: Canny can't get me face cart pro never don't see me waiting at I don't know.
Speaker 2: Get out of the way home.
Speaker 1: And we're back. We're back, all right, that's fun. It might not be the gayest thing I've ever heard, but yeah, it's up there.
Speaker 2: I didn't say the gayest, saidagular.
Speaker 1: Faggotyes, you did say that.
Speaker 2: I made that distinction on purpose.
Speaker 1: There's a local organization called FAF and h my cousin and one of our friends, we have called each other fasts for a very long time, which means faggotty as faggott huh, you know, inside joke. And I can't read that and and not think of that. And I don't know what their achronism Steven stands for, but that's what I always here in my head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when you spoke at their pride last year and baff was spray painted on all the like stamps it on the ground like everywhere, and I was like, that's not okay.
Speaker 1: They they didn't mean it the way we do it.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, wait, wait, wait, that can't be with it. Let me go ask them what does that mean? And they say what it was like, oh okay.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean what it has always meant to us at all.
Speaker 2: It was and it was in rainbow colors. I was like, who did you know?
Speaker 1: Right? You thought my cousin was there earlier? Right now? A he wouldn't put out that effort. He's he supports me. Nope, Oh good god. So you know, in honor of Pride month, fuck the cavalcade. You know, there's a bunch of stories we could talk about.
Speaker 2: I don't want to You are not going to get an argument out of me.
Speaker 1: I don't want to know. There is always nonsense. There's always going to be. Nobody said the board, nobody said the patriarchy was going to go down without a fight. Word keep on fighting indeed. So yeah, look we're gonna we're gonna move right on. And pop culture yeay, let's let's the culture that hurts with a nail. That's the official sound effect that might be Yeah, if it picked it up, so Madonna. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, in honor of Pride kicking off, all.
Speaker 1: Right over there, I'm fine, Okay.
Speaker 2: In honor of Pride kicking off, Madonna did a little pop up surprise concert in Times Square. Cool. Yeah. So her, she's got a Grinder. Yeah, she's got a new album coming out, and it's Confessions Too, which I'm actually looking forward to because Confessions one was fierce. It was like a continuous bunch of nineties house style songs and Confessions on the dance floor of the album was called and I love that album. So I'm looking forward to Confessions Too. And she has been proming this album. It's in collaboration with Grinder. In fact, the announcement that the album was coming out was announced on Grinder. That's amazing thereby letting a lot of girlfriends know what their boyfriends have been up to because all of a sudden, their man's phone is got Madonna's screaming at him. Oh hey, bitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She's been lurking on Grinder, issuing limited edition vinyl versions of her new album Confessions to via the app, and taking part in exclusive interviews.
Speaker 2: Go where the audience.
Speaker 1: Is hey, at least some of it. The latest installment of the campaign took place this past Thursday. Friend yep Grinder warned users for the previous twenty four hours that Madonna would be live streaming on the app. What it did not reveal until nearer the hour was that the live stream would be a surprise pop up concert live from Times Square. Got six thirty yep, fun.
Speaker 2: Do you see this picture?
Speaker 1: Fun?
Speaker 2: That's a lot of gaze.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, that's a whole lot of gaze. It was an eighteen minute show. She treated the audience to three tracks from her new album, which is out on July third, and three from the original Confessions on the Dance Floor album, So they got six songs and she wished the crowd happy Pride.
Speaker 2: And luckily there was no way for her to blast the heat on all of Times Square and show up three hours late by doing so.
Speaker 1: Now, apparently this one was on time right, or it was originally going to be three thirty and when they finally realized she was walking to the stage right. I don't know. Anyway, that was fun, fun for Pride cools. She is still doing the thing she is. I'm I'm you know. Whenever we have that argument about Gaga where I am. I'm pro Gaga, But you know Madonna. I have been around alive long enough to watch Madonna's entire rise to fame, and she is a phenomenal business woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that no argument.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I hear she thinks that was me. I There are so many Madonna's songs I love. They're part of the vernacular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love Madonna. There was there's a chunk of her career that I was side eyeing her only because like some of the stuff she was doing was just wreaking of like desperation for relevance, and I'm like, you're already Madonna, you don't mean to do that, baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah that.
Speaker 2: Plus, I wasn't crazy about a lot of her newer music, Like I hear you, what did I say about one album? I was like, this album sounds like all the songs that I would have skipped on her other album just lumped together as one album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she.
Speaker 2: Also has stuff I like, so you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, she's Madonna.
Speaker 2: I'm not there's I'm always going to be a fan of Madonna.
Speaker 1: I skipped a cavalcade. I'm not going to be the cavalcade. Enough already, but yeah, cool, that was a cool event. And apparently yeah, happened the same day she said it would, unlike some of her concerts, what.
Speaker 2: Happens on the same day, just not the same part of the day.
Speaker 1: Right, right? What did she start that one show? Was at seven thirty eight o'clock. I was supposed to start it with somewhere after eleven pm, huh and yeah, and the audience was baking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's especially up high.
Speaker 1: And it stands because heat rises.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, those of us that are at this concert are have been there for her for a while, a good portion of our lives. So we're a little older now and we're like we got to go to work in the morning, and shit, we we only had childcare up and I know, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was crazy because friends of ours went and they were like dying up in the stands. Yeah, but they're die hard fans, and you know, I can't stand that. You know, who was on time? Share And if share can be on time, yeah, everyone can be on time to I'm just saying.
Speaker 2: To the motherfucking second. Yes, we were still on the escalator going to our seat when we heard the first song. I was like, oh, shit. Yeah, well no, Well, Cindy Lauper, who's Cdy Lauper.
Speaker 1: Was already on because she was on time, and then so was Share following her. I did not hold the curtain.
Speaker 2: Curtain was eleven o'clock and it was seven oh two. We're like, oh, she's got time to get to our Both of those legends didn't even give us time to get to our seats.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, so, yeah, whatever, but yeah, cool, it's cool. It's pop culture. That's what we're here for right now, is pop culture. Why am I having? What was I reading? I've read it to you the other day and it was some dude crowing about being an alpha male and a woman commented, you know, one man's alpha male is another woman's pretty pretty princess. And I don't know why I'm thinking about that now, but it just seemed to fit. Christopher Maloney says an emotional goodbye to Stabler. Yeah, and Law and Order Organized Crime. It was a great ride. I sw I know you did, and I love him. He's done. What did we just watched last night?
Speaker 2: We just watched you finally saw Bound.
Speaker 1: I finally saw it because we did sign up for Canopy yes, God bless our local library. And there's some great shit on canopy.
Speaker 2: It's free.
Speaker 1: All you need is a library car and you get I don't know, twelve points a month, sixteen sixteen points a month, which is about eight movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most movies. Most things are two tickets, which means.
Speaker 1: We each get eight.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And so we were looking for a movie to watch last night, and Bound came up and it was it is the Wakowski Sisters first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their first theatrical release.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really good.
Speaker 2: And I love that you had never seen it before. I'm like, yes, I get to watch you watch this for the first time.
Speaker 1: I have never seen it before. And a very young Christopher maloneous Yes, plays a central.
Speaker 2: Character who I completely forgot about.
Speaker 1: He has played some crazy fuckers over time. He can bring that energy. God knows, it's the same energy he brought to Oz.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But he also was Stabler for so many years. And I'm just I'm a huge just for you fan, and I really liked Organized Crime, yeah, where he was the central character. He debuted the hot headed detective character almost thirty years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah that sounds right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he is sharing an emotional goodbye to detective Elliott Stabler. This show was canceled on Thursday after five seasons, so for now this is it. Yeah. He began in nineteen ninety nine in Law and Order Special Victims Unit, premiered three years after Bound.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's sad, he said. I just saw that they announced Organized Crime won't be coming back. So I wanted to take this moment to say thank you to the fans who not only helped give the character of Elliott Stabler life and longevity, but for sticking with him and welcoming him back.
Speaker 2: He and a bunch of fellow s few co stars went to see Marishka Hargate on Broadway.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I made her Broadway debut this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in something that Excellent Things or exquisite Things or every excellent something. I don't know the title of it. I just read that she's killing it, but I love that. They all want to see her every brilliant thing, every brilliant thing. That's it. Yes, and they were. They were incredible together. They created you know, the duo for all those years.
Speaker 2: Did Benson and Stabler ever actually do it? No, damn it.
Speaker 1: They were the beloved partnership of the Law and Order universe, and that dynamic was suddenly ripped away when he departed SVU in twenty eleven. He eventually reprised the role with the twenty twenty one launch of Organized Crime, which found Stabler coming back to the force and working to bring down New York's most dangerous organized crime syndicates. And it moved from Peacock for season five, and the cancelation news is less than surprising, considering it's been almost a year since the Now series finale and.
Speaker 2: The most recent season moved. Where did it go to?
Speaker 1: I forget remember how it still was able to watch because they because they were able to curse.
Speaker 2: Yes, it it got a little someone said fucking and we.
Speaker 1: Were like wait, wait, wait what Yeah, when it moved, but you know, for a season. But yeah, it's so okay. Hey, I mean you know, I he was off of SBU for ten years, came back, we got five seasons, lovely, it was great end of an era. Yeah, and he is a versial actor. I mean, he's going to be out there. He's not just Stabler. We know him for other things and we'll The thing.
Speaker 2: About organized Crime, though, is like, okay, how often can this dude go completely under because he has a very distinctive look and so many places you can.
Speaker 1: Do they not know. That's how do they not know?
Speaker 2: Look for the scruff daddy.
Speaker 1: We saw all of him in OZ. That was fun. Anyway, what's next? Returning tonight?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, interview with the Vampire new season. It's coming on tonight and they are doing the vampireless stat And I am very, very very excited. I can tell because that's like my favorite portion of the storyline where he's a rock star. He goes into the ground for however long, however many hundred years, and then like music wakes him up and he's like, oh, what's that?
Speaker 1: And then he decides to.
Speaker 2: Be a rock star and his bad ass ory just just just levels up. Okay, and you've seen the actor that plays the stat. Yes, so there's going to be a lot of him shirtless, wearing leather something.
Speaker 1: So just so you know that's something if you're really committed, you'll do full front.
Speaker 2: Just think I would not put it past them.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well you'll let me know you're gonna watch it too.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, I don't don't front, Okay, I just I love well because you know, I love how they lean into the gayness of the source material. They they didn't try to straightwash it like the fucking movie.
Speaker 1: So it's true and I love that.
Speaker 2: So this season's gonna be good. What else we got, We went on a Marlin Riggs down a rabbit hole. I discovered that Tongues Untied was on a canopy.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Tongues Untied was the seminal piece of black queer cinema from nineteen eighty nine, uh, directed and written by Marlon Riggs. And it was not so much off film as it was like I'm not even sure how you It was like a piece I believe is what I called it. It was a piece because there's art, yeah, exactly, because there was like poetry and spoken word and sound effects and essays and imagery. But it all centered around the various aspects of black gayness, black male gayness in the late eighties early nineties. And it was one of those things that like I never got to see when it was out, just because you know, when it came out, I wasn't in that place, and then I couldn't find it anywhere. And when we interviewed John S. Garrison on the podcast about red, Hot, and blue. There were several references to tongues untied, and that put it back in my brain and I was like, I never saw that. So we got to see that on canopy then, you know, I was like, well, if you like that, then you probably like this. And that took us to a Color Correction, which was his documentary about the representation of black people in television. So it took us through from Amos and Andy to the most recent show at the time, which was The Cosby Show at least, and that was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: And there's still a few other things of his that we are on our list that we have to watch. We've been sitting and watching The Black Scholars lately in our free time, you and I. Yeah, we have, and I've been enjoying it. It's been very cool, a very cool way to spend our time.
Speaker 1: I wonder how much of that, I mean, because we talked about the Harlem Renaissance. Of course, when we were talking about ain't misbehaving and oh yea yeah, I saw the piece and you know, so maybe it's all just connected plus white people going to white and sometimes you need to break my listener.
Speaker 2: We watched a lot of We've been watching a lot of of content surrounding James Baldwin. Yes, we watched I'm Not Your Negro, which is a fabulous film centered around his I watched it again, Yeah, sent around his words, his writing, narrated by Samuel L. Jackson, And we found a whole bunch of interviews, yeah, with James Baldwin, and just like televised conversations, notably like him and My Angelou. They had a wonderful conversation that we watched.
Speaker 1: Well, and that was, you know, the other thing that was happening. I was researching for the talk I gave in early May Yes, which is on our website that I called lies, damn lies and statistics. Yes, and you know I can't. That research took me right back to you know, a lot of Maya's work and some of James Baldwin and yeah, brought me right back into Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it got me back into the mood to revisit his writing because we have so much of it. And then there was others that we didn't. So I've been getting more stuff. And one of the ones that stood out to me, one of the conversations we watched that so to me was the interview, he was in Paris and it was the British film crew that wanted to talk to him about his work, and he was just in a place and a mood he was in. Yeah, he did not want to talk about himself. He wanted to talk about like the oppression of black people that was happening in the States, and that's why he was in Paris and like, so he re routed the entire project and it led to him and a bunch of young black students that he had met in Paris, and then they had this roundtable discussion about art and race and identity and it was brilliant. And I've been loving that. That's how we've been spending our time when we weren't watching movies and TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also also Soft and Quiet.
Speaker 2: Oh god, damn it. So I am a fan of another podcast called Girl That's Scary, and it's these two black women who talk about horror movies. I love them so much. And they had mentioned offhandedly a film called Soft and Quiet, and I was like, huh, what's that about? So I went and read the description and I was like, this is intriguing.
Speaker 1: And so I.
Speaker 2: Found the movie and I watched it and chaw, I just want to know who the fuck this film is for. So Soft and Quiet is a film came up with the past five, six, seven years, and it opens with this white woman. She is walking to pick up her son from school. She's carrying a pie and then she drops him off and then she goes to this meeting where these other little white women are and it's the first meeting of this little group that they decided to put together. And she was like, I brought pie, and then she puts the pie down, she takes the foil off the pie. Is the fucking swastika baked into the cross of the pie. It's a fucking meeting for neo Nazi women. And like the whole thing is like, you know, where the women and we move softly and quietly in ways that our men can so we can get our message across. And then the whole thing just went left. That's the best way I can describe it. And by the time it was done, I was like, goddamn, that was fucked up? And who was this four? Because it wasn't for me, it wasn't for nobody black. You ain't teaching nobody white nothing. White women are fucked up too. Yeah, we knew that like it.
Speaker 1: Till the oldest.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying I didn't like it. I didn't like it, that's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But when you're wondering why something was made, yeah I did. Because they didn't know who their audience was.
Speaker 2: And the ending was was supposed, I guess, supposed to give us some hope, but it's like there was no hope because of everything that happened before. Somebody need I needed to like ask some questions like what the fuck? So well, I understand why the ladies of Girl That's Scary mentioned the movie and the tone of voice that they did.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you at least get that I do.
Speaker 2: So Yeah, Invincible had a new season and it was like four episodes in before I even knew that there was a new season. I'm like, no one was gonna fucking tell me shit. And so I caught the new season. It was real, real good. And that show is so like raw and violent and but that's why we love it. And the whole thing is like, you know, if you have power, like how does that power define you? You know, and what is your responsibility in wielding that power? And if you misuse that power and you want to atone. There's a racial parallel. It's like the immediate parallel will be like these Maga people who are seeing the error of their ways and then wanting to atone for what they did. You have to accept the fact that a lot of the people that you hurt don't give a fuck that you're sorry, And in order for you to get any semblance of reconciliation, you're going to have to put at least as much time into making up for what you did as the offenses that you made right, you know. And there's an element of that in this past season of Invincible. I am glad that I was made aware. It's on It's on Amazon Prime. It is an animated series, season four. It's based on a comic book. Basically, it's about superheroes, and there's this one character, Ultra Uh I forget, I can't remember his fucking name anyway. He comes from this planet where everybody is like insanely powerful and like his original mission was to come to Earth and like scout it out so that he can take it over. And then he ended up falling in love with a woman and having a kid, and it's a whole thing it's very good.
Speaker 1: Got it now, I was getting, you know, like I love the themes that they're examining.
Speaker 2: Well, like for two seasons, basically he was like a villain and he was like killing everything and everyone and you know, like I can destroy this planet and you better bow down, bitches. And then in the most recent season he's like, yeah, I shouldn't have done that, and I'm sorry, and everyone's like, oh, you're sorry. That's so cute. I don't have a family anymore, bitch, you know, like that right, and he's like, but I'm sorry, and then they spit in his face and he has to take it because he knows what he did.
Speaker 1: So at least in the cartoons.
Speaker 2: Yes, that part.
Speaker 1: The four seasons we watched.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Season two of four seasons is on Netflix. Calmin Domingo and Tina Fey and Steve Correll and Will Forte and.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, based off some you know, the original movie, Alan Alda does a cameo Alan Alda, Carol Burnette at all a Sandy Dennis. So I can't stand et cetera. And this is the series and it's cute. It's better than that's interesting. You said, Well, there you go.
Speaker 2: Fine, and I didn't hate the movie, but the series is way better.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go. So and we went. We blew through season two in a day and a half, which is available. Yes, Hacks serious finale series, damn it. I loved Hacks. I loved Jean Smart's whole good mh. I love that she had this because I've always loved her. And we got Hannah Einbinder out of the whole deal.
Speaker 2: So, Yeah, the ending was satisfying.
Speaker 1: It was. It kind of wrapped things up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't go where I thought it was going to go, but I was happy that it went where it went.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it tied it with a bow. I guess I'm sad it's done. It was good.
Speaker 2: And that show is funny.
Speaker 1: It's fun it's funny.
Speaker 2: I really liked so many different levels. Yep, just and I and I love and I've said this, I probably say this every year when we talk about it. I love the fact that the main character is a stand up comedian who is actually funny.
Speaker 1: Right, it's true, actually funny.
Speaker 2: You watch The Pit.
Speaker 1: I watched The Pit. Yeah, I like it. There's been now two seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I get I like it.
Speaker 1: It was acclaimed, you know Wiley, Yeah, graduate graduated from er to the pit. Yeah, I liked it. Is that in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: It has that same device as twenty four, where the season is a the season is a day, right, Well, in twenty four a shift the season right in twenty four, the season was a day in the pit. The season is a shift.
Speaker 1: Like a one twelve hour shift, I guess, yeah.
Speaker 2: And every episode is an hour of that shift.
Speaker 1: Something like that. Yeah. Interesting, So it's interestingly well done. You know there was a time, you know, time had elapsed between season one and two. I assume the same thing will happen, you know, before season three. But definitely worth watching. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: I like that device and so and you know, there's a reason why you don't see it used that often because it has to be centered in a setting that where enough ship happens that each episode can be an hour right of a day.
Speaker 1: Of a day. Yea, and the whole interesting, Yeah, and move forward. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the emergency department of a hospital. Enough ship's gonna happy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had heard good things and and tuned in, wasn't disappointed, and I'm through it. You were like me, so fine, it's allow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a little too dry for me and Engross.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you had those moments for sure. Hbo mm hmm. Imperfect Women.
Speaker 2: Imperfect Women was good. It was the limited series Kerry Washington, Kerrie Washington, Elizabeth Moss, the chick that was the wife in season one of Poe's. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, that one really good, really interesting, really nicely done.
Speaker 2: There's an influx of who done it on television lately? Yeah, and I do enjoy those me too. Yeah, so I recommend Imperfect Women. We saw so many things.
Speaker 1: We did. The one I really want to talk about, Ted Lasso.
Speaker 2: We avoided Ted Lasso, I you know, for a reason, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember what the reasons were. It seemed to be sports centric.
Speaker 2: Right, well, it felt very like heteros normative did in sports bali.
Speaker 1: And very It sort of gave me this smell of like, I don't know, college football or something. I wasn't interested in finding out more.
Speaker 2: And a couple of people told us you'll hate the main character at first, but then after a few episodes, you'll like it, which ended up might even being true. When we watched it, right.
Speaker 1: It didn't. It didn't. I I'm sorry that. I'm grateful that by the time we caught onto it, there were three whole seasons to watch, right. But I feel like I was late to the party. And if I ever said a negative word about it, I apologize it.
Speaker 2: Saying I've been putting people on and everyone's been saying the same thing I wanted to. I heard that it was good, it just didn't feel like it was for me, and I'm like, no, really watch it.
Speaker 1: I really felt like it would not be for us at all, and I was mistaken. Yeah, it's really feel good television, some great messages. I feel about ted Lasso the way Kathy felt about Barbie.
Speaker 2: See. I feel the same way about Ted Last. So as I felt about The Good Place.
Speaker 1: I didn't love the Good Place. It was fine.
Speaker 2: Oh, I loved it. It was fine, smart, and it was feel good and it was uplifting.
Speaker 1: All loved it more than I did. It was it was fine, it was fine. I felt tedious. But this what I loved about Ted Last.
Speaker 2: So it's like, what is this like emotional maturity, non toxic masculinity exactly. People like changing their mind about their preconceived notions of people and rottery and empathy and holy shit.
Speaker 1: And situations that could have gone very wrong, and it's like, yeah, and it was heartwarming. Yeah. I shed several tears, we both did, and it was just beautifully done. And so Jason say, I have this entire new found respect for him and this work. And it really was lovely.
Speaker 2: And the third season was supposed to be the final season, final, final season, and it reads like it was. It does read like it could have been the end of the whole thing, and there will be a fourth season coming out what August I think, Yeah, it sounds right, so that'll be interesting to say. I loved it, Yeah, loved it. It's feel good television. Indeed, it was funny, it was heartwarming, it was inspiring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, good stuff. I loved it, really good stuff. I don't know what my resistance was, but it was just like one day, I'm like, oh, what the hell, let's try right and right exactly. So yeah, and so we binged over the course of a week or two all three seasons. It was worth it, I agree. So, but you're welcome to talk about that.
Speaker 2: So it's fucking drag Race All stars A love it and.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I feel about it. She's still cracking.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're so, they're they're bringing back this idea of brackets for All Stars. So it's like there's six twelve, eighteen queens and each is six per bracket and three weeks per bracket, and then the top two from each bracket move on, and then at the top six go to the semifinals and then it gets down to a final two and then someone wins. And I don't like this format. I like the fact that there's so many queens and you get to see them and like it refreshes in three weeks. But it's like the steaks are so crazy and there's desperation. I don't know, it's just.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So but you know, got to see Vivacious back on television and in Crystal Method, and it's it's it's I don't know. I'm just watching it because I watch All Stars. I don't never give a shit about the main season, but it's All Stars. I'm watching it. And we just did bracket too, so three more and then things okay, yeah, basic, that's kind of been about that show, like for the past few seasons time.
Speaker 1: It's like yeah, I'm just over.
Speaker 2: I know you are, we know now, we fucking no, but I am. Finally, I'm currently watching Spider and Noir on Amazon Prime, which I've been excited about because it's an iteration of Spider Man that I have always been intrigued by. Spider Noir. It takes place in this alternate reality where it's nineteen thirties or forties New York and Spider Man's like a gumshoe detective and in this version he's played by Nicholas Cage. And this is like the most subdued acting I've ever seen from Nicholas Cage. Really. Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: And he's playing.
Speaker 2: He's playing Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me a little long in the tooth to play Spider Man.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing with this particular version, like he's a little the word might be older than the word coming to mind is grizzled, but that's not it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's like the one I was thinking.
Speaker 2: He's a little world weary and he's yeah, but he still like does the webs and the swinging and the things. Really, but it's Nicholas Cage, Yeah, and he's a he's a detective and it's it's done like noir style, that it's in black and white, and it's filmed for black and white, but they give you the option of watching it in color. For some reason, I haven't done that. I've been watching it in the black and white is intended.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, it's a series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a series.
Speaker 1: So Nicholas Cage is doing a series. Yeah, and it's very cool.
Speaker 2: I'm liking it fun. Did you know how I feel bout Spider Man?
Speaker 1: Yes, I know that you love Spider Man. I do know that. Yeah, he's sixty two, he's older than me. I'm just like, wait a minute. Yeah, it's good though, Okay, it's intrigued, like you might actually enjoy it. Maybe I'm it's story driven. Okay, at first glance, I'm feeling the way I feel about the Madonna perfume commercial, like girl trying to picture him as Spider Man. But uh, okay, I'll keep up in mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not trying to make him look young, like.
Speaker 1: No, I got it, well don't yet, like they are in that commercion. She don't by the way she looks.
Speaker 2: Why is Grandma moving on me?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly, That's how I read it. I hate that commercial so much on streaming or it was for a time. I'm trying to picture it. I'll keep an open mind. Maybe i'll try to watch it.
Speaker 2: What's it on Amazon Prime?
Speaker 1: Amazon Prime? Spider wir Yes, okay, I dig it. I'm just trying to picture as not a parody of Spider Man. He's always young. I mean, he's young.
Speaker 2: And what's interesting is that they have Peter Parker, you know, right, they have a diverse what is he the retired version of Peter Parker. No, different character entirely. His name is Ben Riley.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, so not Spider Man.
Speaker 2: It is Spider Man, different person mm hmmm. Yeah, there's different versions of Spider Man and all these different the universe canonically.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, it's a word I been Anyway.
Speaker 2: The cast is very diverse, and like there's black people and they're like actually playing black people because you know how like sometimes with color blind casting, if you put a black person in a role, it's like, Okay, here's a role that was for a white person, but we're going to stick you in it, and we're going to pretend you're not black. They're not they're not doing that like good. The black people are black people, so I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, maybe worth that checking out.
Speaker 2: I've only been able to get through like a couple of episodes, so I can go back with that a problem.
Speaker 1: What else did we want? Oh, you finally saw a Raisin in the Sun?
Speaker 2: Oh ship, that's right. I watched the Rain in the Raisin in the Sun for the first time last night.
Speaker 1: I've seen.
Speaker 2: But the original Sidney Potier original it. Yeah, and it's it's wonderful. I mean, as I knew it would be.
Speaker 1: Just happened.
Speaker 2: I had only seen parts of the Danny Glover Revival on PBS, and I was too young for it. I was at the right age now to watch it. I can't find that version anywhere.
Speaker 1: And if anybody had a canopy might so.
Speaker 2: They don't love And they also don't have the fully Shuarshad Diddy version, which something tells me they might have had it at one point and then they were like, we don't need this. We got we don't need Diddy.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but that I mean that happened.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm glad. I'm I can check that off of my things that I have always wanted to see, but never got to for some reason.
Speaker 1: A list, and we'll be performing together. That's been a minute.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yes, we're gonna be performing at the end of the month. A friend of ours it's been dying to put together some creative opportunities, and so we're gonna be doing a piece that is a multi discipline. Basically, it's a dinner party and the guest of honor tells a story, and there will be music and dance supporting the story. And the guest of honor for this dinner party, it's gonna be you.
Speaker 1: I heard, Yes, I heard. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Yeah, it's fun, it's interesting. I'm intrigued. Well, we're going to see how this all bubbles together.
Speaker 2: At some point this week, we're going to have our first rehearsal.
Speaker 1: So really, I guess I should have a story writing wouldn't hurt fuck? Okay, Well, I've work to do. I also have, yeah, some remarks to write. Uh, you're busy, lady, I am? Yeah? All good, all good?
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I guess this is the time where we should do some podcast business.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do that, all right?
Speaker 2: Then, if you haven't already. Why don't you swing on by Apple Podcasts, good pods, YouTube, or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review or a rating or hit that subscribe button five stars and more. Please follow us on social at Full Circle the Pod on Instagram, threads and Blue Sky, and Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at I Martha Madrigal Everywhere. Her writing can be found at i Ammarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com. I am at never Scurred Everywhere. If you have a story, idea, or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing great job, drop us a line at ask Full Circlepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. Explore our new web store and get your own piece of Full Circle the Podcast merchandise. Just go to our website, Full circledepod dot com and click shop our merch There's bound to be something to suit your style. Join our Patreon Patreon dot com slash Full Circle the Pod starting at just a three dollars a month. Here you get access to all of our episodes add free and before everyone else, and it only gets better from there. It's fun Over At the Patreon. You can also check out our Discord channel, Full Circle the podcast.
Speaker 1: Podcast Business Over, Phew, anything else on your spirit?
Speaker 2: No, that was a lot, we did that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I gotta go, right ship. Uh huh what am I sitting around for? I'm glad we finally sat down. I know, been a minute, it has Uh, let's not wait so long next time? That would be great, right ding dang it, life keeps lifing.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: Until then, you've been listening to a Full Circle the podcast. I am your host Martha Madrigal.
Speaker 2: And I'm your host Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: And we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Everyone.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Scurred Productions podcast posted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.