Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Hey, good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Troy Hutchison.
Speaker 3: There we go, no end.
Speaker 2: Hutchison and our guy Ryan, who'll be working the board. So if anything screws up, you can go ahead and blame me. Hey, welcome to Thursday show. Detroy. Thank you for coming in. You should know enough about Arizona to give me to the today.
Speaker 3: Just a little bit, just a little bit, but appreciate being here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so listen, where do you want to go first? We have a lot of stuff going on Red Blue tomorrow, right, let's start. Let's start there, but well let's just kind of start there. We'll go to football. Obviously, big weekend. I think kind of the season really starts now, and this season started, but now comes the litmus test of how good are you going to be in the Big twelve and how successful are you going to be in the Big twelve. So let's start with basketball. Although I do want to bring in the people that we're going to have today. I know that we have Reggie Gary here at the other side, and we're going to talk a lot about basketball with Reggie at the four seventeen time slot and at the three seventeen time slot is a hoh to Rabino. We're going to go up north just because a lot of stuff is going on at an issue, whether they like it or not, and never boring time up there. And it happens to be within a former Arizona Wildcat and not just a former a pretty good player.
Speaker 3: And a current NFL head coach and a.
Speaker 4: Current NFL coach. You know what he's saying. How with that, I'm never going back to the college anyway. What's eight years when you're in the NFL. Well, you know this kind of struck. I think Kelvin Sampson Reberends he was in Oklahoma for a long time. He got in trouble there Indiana, Oklahoma, and he got in trouble and now it went to the NBA for a while to kind of and then now he's back at Houston. So this is kind of like, you know, Okay, put me in prison for eight years, I'll I don't need you anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen the total totality of it, but Road will talk to us about it and see what the ramification. I did see one thing, but from Paula Boyven, did you no, no, no, no, just the attitude of I make a lot of money, I don't care about it. And then he's going through a lot of issues too, I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's kind of an attitude of well, I'm in the NFL. Yeah, you can't really do anything to me, so have a nice day. Isn't that with the Michigan coach as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, you know, take a page out of Herball's book.
Speaker 2: How about his book? And also I think he was somebody else and we'll ask code. I don't want to break you or say anything right now, So let's go basketball first. Basketball first, Big Red Blue. Are you ready for that? Yeah, you know, I'm ready for that. I think you're ready for that.
Speaker 4: The fan base is definitely ready for that, especially after I was in a season ended last season against Clemson. There a lot of returners and some newcomers to the team. They lost the colaps in last year. Didn't don't remember? Yeah? More than twenty four hours. Well, I remember coming back right away from La you know, but it was it was, it was what it was back then another season of hope.
Speaker 3: Uh hold are you twenty nine? Twenty nine?
Speaker 5: They have?
Speaker 2: You were like two? How old are twenty seven? You were like five to two years old? Two years old? Okay when they won the title.
Speaker 4: Yep, two years old. I didn't even have to say what I was talking about. You knew where I was going.
Speaker 2: And two years old and six years old the last time they went to a Final four?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: How's that? Because I know you're a fan, I know deep down in there just the year. I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: I'm a non biased reporters save, but you know, deep deep down, it's interesting because there was someone's been on the cusp of Final four several times. You think of that Illinois game in two thousand and five, you think of the Yukon game where they had two shots to win it Wisconsin twice. They've been right there, and honestly, you could throw Xavier into that. They hit that game winning shot against Xavier. Who knows what they do after that game? Gonzaga, Yeah, Gonzaika. So it's just been. It's been one heartbreak after another for Arizona fans. And now you have a team that has high expectations again and now the questions are can you get back past the Sweet sixteen?
Speaker 2: Well, and that's the whole thing. And at Arizona, don't you expect that all the time? Getting past the Sweet sixteen? That should be the bare minimum. Sure for Arizona, Sure, because they did it for a long time.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I think, though, how many Sweet sixteens have been there for the last fifteen years?
Speaker 3: Five?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe I'm just talking off the top of my head. There's been a few. Five, But that's not good enough, right, And that's not disparaging on Tommy Lloyd or or Sean because they've tried. They've tried either bad luck, no play something.
Speaker 4: Well, it's similar to Arizona. Stop look at the two sports similarly, you have a golden standard. You set that standard, and now you need to meet that standard year in and year out.
Speaker 2: Have people in that world because you cover the team kind of the somewhat are the people delusioned or are they patient? Are they with regard to that to getting back to the World Series and getting into the finals and the deep, deep runs.
Speaker 4: I think it's a fan base that is kind of just tired of waiting around. You know, yes, there was a world serious appearance for Kitlyn Low early on, but you kind of snuck your way in and got very lucky in terms of the setup and the elite pitching hasn't been there, and that's been the biggest issue of all is the pitching just hasn't been what it's been in years past, really dating backs to ken Zy Valor when she was a freshman and led the team to the National Championship Series. So it's a fan base that's ready for to cheer again for something.
Speaker 2: Okay, winning isn't enough that they have to go deep. Kendread created a monster and now it's the other people's job defeated. Yes, kind of like Luke created a monster even for himself. Illinois is one of the reasons, big reasons they try to feed it, try to feed it, and that it fell and it couldn't recover.
Speaker 4: Similarly to coach k at Duke, you know you've preid a monster and Shire has done a great job there. But I'm sure that fan base is wondering whins the final.
Speaker 2: Four coming right and he is he the guy? Yeah, both of us were there Duke last year about this time next month, and I'm not sure he's the guy. But that's not my issue. That's somebody else's issue. Yeah, no, pro I would assume probably not. But you can't argue with top ten teams and being a number one in Truside in the tournament every year.
Speaker 4: But again, that's not what their standard is. You know their standards are standing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Friday tomorrow, there's a Red Blue game at seven o'clock, right, what are we going to see? I'm not a Red Blue fan because it kind of drags on, you know me, I'm a grumpy old guy.
Speaker 4: So taking an app halfway through it, I wish I could. No, I think you know you're gonna have the slam dunk contest. kJ Lewis is going to be involved in that. Dog Jayden Back might be involved in that. We don't know the exact uh participants in that, and what about okay? Okay, And then they're going to break up the teams tomorrow morning before the game, so they don't have a team finalized in terms of he's going to play with what I thought? I thought they did a little video yesterday with white men and another kid talking about red Blue who's going to be their stars and.
Speaker 3: There according to Arizona, they're doing that tomorrow morning.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, well there's no truth and advertising then, because I saw that last night unless I drum kid, but I wouldn't have dreampt these two guys picking the teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but okay, we'll see what happens. And it's always just a fun time for the fans who typically don't get to go to the games. Right, it's a different crowd, and it's a cheaper ticket.
Speaker 4: You know, you're not able to go to a game during the season when Duke Arizona plays at sixty seventy eighty dollars a pop. Ten dollars, come on in and watch Arizona play.
Speaker 2: Sixty seventy eighty dollars a pop. What cheap date are you because it's in a thousand.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, nose plead, yeah, nothing but please yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, that makes total sense.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: It'll be part of a nice little cozy affair Tommy, you know, WX poetic with the fans and say welcome to the next season.
Speaker 3: Who are you looking forward to? See. I'm looking forward to seeing Carter Bryant. You know, a talented freshman.
Speaker 4: McDonald's All American really should have been a five star recruit in many services, but it was a four star recruit. The kid can jump out of the gym, has athleticism beyond belief, and really good ball skills. He kind of reminds me similarly to Tracy McGrady. But you don't want to put that much pressure on a kid. But the killer instinct needs to be developed a little bit. But that's a future first round draft pick, probably lottery pick in the next couple of years, if not the end of the season.
Speaker 3: Why do you say the killer instinct?
Speaker 4: You know, there's moments when I saw him in high school in terms of Section seven and travel ball and all that, where he let the game come to him, which is what you want with a player. But there are moments where you need to say, give me the damn ball and get out of the way. So it's not a DeAndre eighton type of aggressiveness that he needs, because DeAndre just played.
Speaker 2: He was good. He was good, He's obviously very good. Million dollars was good, but his knock was he plaid when he wanted to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's not that.
Speaker 4: It's just you let the game come to you a little bit too much and you just have to have that moment where you just say, give me the ball and get out of the way.
Speaker 2: So he may not need to be that guy this year though, No, with with Kitler Love taking that role, give me the ball, get the hell out of the way. Jaydeon Bradley, who does some of that as well.
Speaker 6: H J k J.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you something if he didn't know already know this, mister Troy. They only had one ball.
Speaker 3: They only have to play with the one ball. That's true. How do you guys have that attitude? A lot? Good luck with that? Yeah, good luck with that one ball? Lot of that And dude, you how are you gonna work there?
Speaker 4: And you know what that's a beat about basketball every year in college athletics is you have all these guys that are highly ranked recruits and highly thought of players, and how do you make that cohesion happen?
Speaker 3: Well, you talked about Xavier a few years ago.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, there was a guy named Trier, There was a guy named Marketing. There was a guy named Hawkins maybe or do Solkins? How many balls you play with one and who had the book control of the ball and had that go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Market in the corner though the ball Market was in the quarter is get him the damn ball.
Speaker 3: Get him the damn ball.
Speaker 2: Like I always say, Troy, the best defender that Xavier had was lonso Tree.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say Sean Miller. True, because he couldn't get marketed the ball. That's very fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So tomorrow we're all looking forward to it. You know, it is what it is, red blue. We'll see what happens there and then we'll talk more about football, probably on the other hour after we talked to Hoade on the other side of this hour, where you know, big game Texas tick comes in late night, hopefully a lot of people stay, go and stay. Uh another midnight get out of town deal.
Speaker 3: And there's a game before that, so it might start at age twenty five.
Speaker 4: Oh oh because televice delay, Yeah, my delay. Do you really know how to screw up a party? Here, party pooper, I have the cussbud right here right Okay.
Speaker 2: I got to make sure you have the because I've already hyped up because of my other job. I was doing some stories and I'm thinking, God, the guys riot heard me.
Speaker 3: It was not fun. Get your cup of coffee, get your energy drinks, get it ready. Yeah. Oh for Saturday. Yeah yeah, that's not good. That's not good. But it should be fun. Like I said, it's going to be the gauge of what's to come.
Speaker 4: I'll ask for your prediction, but I'm assuming part of that prediction it's going to be high scoring. Yeah, you know, I think the over under the sixty eight, somewhere around there in the mid sixties.
Speaker 3: They'll go over. They'll go over.
Speaker 4: In this matchup, Texas tack a team that loves to throw the football and not run the ball in Arizona that has kind of figured out its offense along the way. Well, one game in one game, one game, so I don't know if you've heard the show all week. So three games they do what they're doing. Three games, you're thinking, what the hell is going on with the team, and they're one game they played well, so that one game wiped out the three games. I think that one game wipes not doesn't wipe them out, but it gives you an idea in terms of the balance that they're able to call the game of what Matt Akins as the play caller, he saw a little bit more balanced, a little bit more tinied end usage and let's face the Texas tachis and the defense that Utah is. I assume you were there for the press coverage involving Baber, Yes he was. How did he sound? How did he look when talking about this? You know, he sounded like it was always the plan. I don't know if that's true to me at they said that. That's what they say, and that's what he was told in terms of when he was hired, that that was going to be the plan to groom a future offense coordinator. And they like Matt Akins a lot, and Babers loved what he saw in terms of practice, and he has that coaching background through his father with Matt Akins, and so they love what they saw and it's a little bit of a balanced play calling between him and Babers. And it looked to pay off because tight end usage went up, running game went up, So it looked on all accounts positive for Arizona. And he seemed in a very positive mindset. What a what a payout to do what you're doing and you're not really the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: You just you're grooming ahead, grooming an offensive coordinator and putting your flare and offense as well. And you get the paycheck and hopefully you succeed at Arizona and you're able to become a head coach again at another program, because I think that's ultimate goal for Babers is being a head coach on another program one day.
Speaker 3: Again. Really, he's about my age, he's like late fifties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you love the game, right, yeah, yeah, no, a good if you're your honor mister attorney.
Speaker 3: Yes, I get what you're going with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never did that dream of going back and doing what you're doing because you're used to being the head coach. Yeah, it'll be at a different level for sure, but yeah, you know you're right.
Speaker 4: Whether it's like a bowling glean. Have you been listening to me a little? You're actually sounding sensible. HOLI will come only sensible. I think you're you've been enlightened.
Speaker 3: That'll never, that'll never.
Speaker 4: Hey, we got to take we got to take a break and come back and we'll be enlightened by how Roberto Robrito from a issue.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just utter this nationwide keyword on our website, money, that's money. Enter it right now, Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 7: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino, Del Soul, The Soul Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise of fascoa Yaki try.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 8: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kim, We'll call at five to two zero for zero, zero for two, three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead manage and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: School and the fall sports season are in full stride time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts.
Speaker 3: Or long sleeve follows.
Speaker 11: And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation, or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 3: For over one thousand fun items.
Speaker 11: Of chooshroom, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardzaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe every one deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltee team dot com, that's Volpe Team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizonna b K nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to Lydrix, synchronic grates and avaiable loan programs or subject to change the don't notice?
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest.
Speaker 3: Growing hobbies around.
Speaker 11: Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 3: And trading card games.
Speaker 11: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 3: Ready to say, but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Bedroll.
Speaker 13: Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more.
Speaker 3: Visit Pyramid FCU dot.
Speaker 13: Com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 3: That really insured and CUA.
Speaker 9: Gut bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: So in your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about his you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a whole motor to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling at home, call Danny Roth at five to two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 3: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio WIF.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Lying the Ball Here. I'm Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today as Troit. Let's just send and now on the phone Cold rabinoum Devil's digestic in Tempe.
Speaker 3: Hold, how are you doing.
Speaker 5: I'm a good to say thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was thinking when I was trying to reach you this morning and you didn't respond, we got to talk about that, tod.
Speaker 3: No. No, you know what I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: It says you got to be busy with all the stuff that's going on with the previous coaching regime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that definitely kept us busy. Good thing there was no practice to cover today.
Speaker 6: On top of it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, you know, I think that as on the one hand, as much as it evokes a lot of negative and unpleasant memories in TMB, I think people are so happy that this is just really the final chapter in this dark episode of the program History twenty four was gonna be the last season anyway that was going to be any sanctions levied. The recruiting sanctions that ASU had incurred did expire on August press of this year, and the reduction in scholarships. Twenty twenty four is the last year that that takes place. So the very last piece of this very messy puzzle was just just announcing how many how many years of show causes Antonio Pierce going to get as well Anthony Garnett, who was a member of the staff during those recruiting violations. So yeah, not not a pleasant memory, but also an indication that there's things behind ASU and they don't have to talk about or dimension and anytime soon.
Speaker 4: Oh, were you a little surprised by the number of years that Antonio Piers Scott for show cause of eight years? I know people here in Tucson were a little shocked by that number, especially given that he's in the NFL.
Speaker 5: Now, No, I mean, they really warn't good. Look, I mean, let's let's call it a spit over here. It's the most toothless sanction or punishment, and Antonio Piers or anybody in his position could have received. Antonio Pierce is the head coach in the NFL. He's not coming back to college football coaching anytime soon probably ever. So you know it's like, okay, so you gave him an eight year show cause, a show cause. I'm sorry you're saying that, Oh, if somebody hires you, you're automatically suspended for the first here with with with that program. So it's you know, it's really just kind of a joke. But look on Turner, Pierce really was.
Speaker 6: The mastermind behind all the all.
Speaker 5: These recruiting violations.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, horm Edwards at the time was just a really classic figurehead that was all about delegating, delegating, delegating. Unfortunate for him and portune for the program he delegated to producer. Really, Uh was over aggressive with his with his recruiting tactics. Uh during the during the recruiting to dead period with the pandemic on top of that. So no, I really can't say that I'm surprised, but again, knock over state the obvious.
Speaker 6: It is the most toothless. Uh.
Speaker 5: Sanctions were punishment anybody could levy on appeers for anybody in this position.
Speaker 2: No, question, no question, Uh do you think And I guess in some of his responses there were kind of cavalier and he kind of knew it is okay, catch me if you can.
Speaker 3: I'm gone anyway.
Speaker 5: Well, you know I think, uh, I mean sure that that's not I'm trying to turn to pierce his personality and you.
Speaker 6: Know On know that better than I do.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, even even though I did cover him during a few years that he.
Speaker 6: Was at a s U.
Speaker 5: But look, I think that you know, it really comes down to the NC double A enforcement. I mean, this is not you know, the the local police department in your in your city, let let alone.
Speaker 6: And the FBI or anything like that.
Speaker 5: So their enforcement mechanism is very.
Speaker 6: Very limited. And if you want to really uh.
Speaker 5: You know something, you know sometub you know that them and uh, basically it's on I'm not going to cooperate with them.
Speaker 6: That there's really.
Speaker 5: Nothing they can do other than, you know, give you a punishment that nine percent will never apply to you whatsoever in your profession. So yeah, I mean I'm not surprised. I turn you know, actually the way he did, you know part of it, you know that that that's that's an inter peers, and I don't think he would even you know, take that as an insult to be told in that. But I think also just a matter of the fancy double a.
Speaker 6: I don't mean to come back to that.
Speaker 5: Term again, but just being very very very toothless in the way it enforces its laws sometimes, let alone enforces somebody to really come comply with an investigation that they're running.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you kind of mentioned it earlier. Is sense of relief that it's kind of behind them and all this can go away and they can move forward and whatnot. Is there also a sense of, man, you know, not that we got lucky, but that's all that came from it. We're in a good spot in terms of recruiting in the future of the program.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: And it's interesting you mentioned that because I've had endless discussions with ac fans ever since this broke in twenty twenty one, which seems like a million years ago, saying that the fact that ASCU offered the quote unquote sarcrificial lambs, and you know, and even before Paul Camp started, they're ready suspended one assistant coach two three days into fall camp.
Speaker 6: Already underway.
Speaker 5: They suspended another to some assistant coaches. You know, the offensive coordinator was basically resigning from his job because there was amount of evidence against them, and that happened if they got two months after the twenty twenty one season concluded. So you know, basically the NCAA was selling as all throughout the process, Hey, look we have this amount of evidence on coach A, this amount of evidence on coach B. You know, you do you do what you see? Would you see best fits? And obviously the strong su with a pretty thick hint say, look, if you're going to cooperate from day one, then the ultimate punishments are really going to be less less severe nature. So you know, just because the process really unfolded from day one, from the time the investigation launched and they have twenty twenty one, and I really can't say that I'm that I'm surprised how everything unfolded and how really the punishments ultimately, I mean, sure they did hurt the program, but but to your point, yes, they could have been much much worse when.
Speaker 6: You look at the the.
Speaker 5: Absolute scope of other recruiting violations that that that did take place. I think that that ASCU Uh, definitely, you know, you know.
Speaker 6: Got off easy if you want to look.
Speaker 3: At it that way.
Speaker 5: But they really cooperated, and they really were suspending and ultimately firing people from the football staff, you know, left and left and right. So it's not as if you know that that cooperation didn't mean come with with with with some price tag attached to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so did you read the whole thing?
Speaker 2: And I asked that because I know I did not, but I saw somebody's tweet about some of the things they did with women driving, women driving the bus or the van or whatever, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean they did, you know, uh, and then entertain those recruits you know quite well, whether it's whether it was that gentlemen clubs or or escorts. It really was absolutely nefarious stuff. But you know it's just a mat And then look, this is not me justifying what issues, but if I'm providing an explanation, they knew that they just had to be very extavagant and do things that maybe the quote unquote normal recruiting trip did not include, and they just really tried to be as lavish.
Speaker 6: As they could be during the pandemic.
Speaker 5: Which I guess somehow they were able to swing that's that was definitely a toll task back back then. Yeah, I did not read the report from cover to cover. I did read quite a few expert excerpts of it that you know, really speak to the crux of the of the relations that took place. And look, I mean, I don't think anything really for me or really really shocked me, because I think that a su uh to the detriment with just uber aggressive uh in the matter, in the manner that that the recruiting players. I think the thing that kind of you know, maybe not blew me away, but it was like an eye opener that they actually just had uh some of the prospects uh do a off campus workout in the park in in TMP or near campus, and there were coaches and attendance. Uh just like you know, strolling around the park.
Speaker 6: We would just happen to stumble on on some.
Speaker 5: Kind of football workout.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know that's something that.
Speaker 5: You definitely don't see, uh even with with with with other programs with their own recruiting violations. But I really can't say I was I was shocked with anything, because I just knew when the whole story broke that this is indication how buber aggressive ASU was with with the with the recruiting violations. So it's almost almost to the point where, you know, whatever you tell me, as long as it's documented and cooperated by a witnesses, doesn't really flow me at all.
Speaker 2: And not that I want to get into the affixiated with the strip club stuff, but this is during COVID, right, Yes, exactly those things were open at the time.
Speaker 6: I thought, I you're talking about you're talking about the parks themselves.
Speaker 3: Not the parks. I'm talking about the strip clubs. I thought we were. I thought we were shut down.
Speaker 5: I guess, I guess you know that they you know, maybe you know, shut down for the first three months of COVID, but you know, don't forget that that some of these violations that take place also in.
Speaker 6: Twenty twenty one, when things were just we're.
Speaker 5: Just more you know, open for like a black a bit of term. And I mean, sure, maybe.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe maybe i'd answered the General's.
Speaker 5: Club with the mask or something, but yeah, nonetheless, I mean whatever the six is worth, Steve, that they found more of the one aware one way around it.
Speaker 4: Let's say, sure, yeah, no question, uh, you know, kind of transitioning to on field stuff and whatnot. As you already played Texas Tech, Arizona's next opponent here this weekend. What did you see from the Red Raiders with that matchup in terms of what Arizona fans should be looking out for when it comes to the Red Raiders offense and defense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think, I mean, we look at that Texas Tech. I think the staple of that program is really no different than a lot of other programs in the Big Twelve, and that is that their offense is absolutely fueled by a very good running game. You know, not to say that their quarterback just you know, lacks you know, basic skills to come at an offense in a power conference, but I think that it's definitely a scenario where if you can really really limit their running game and then put the onus on the quarterback, I think I think you will, I think you will find success. And look, I I'll admitted I was very impressed with what Arizona did to Utah in an insult lake city because you know, I'm old enough to see a lot of Utah fans. I'm sorry, a lot of Utah programs before they had a very good quarterback like Cam Rising, uh you know, quote unquote survived with just a very good defense and in a very in a very good running game. And I think that what we saw with Arizona is that they were able to just really put the onus on on a young quarterback by shutting down the running game, and that's why they found a lot of success. So I think that I think that Arizona, you know, if they can take that blueprint and apply it against Texas Tech, I don't.
Speaker 6: Know why they would not win, you know, win that game.
Speaker 5: And Texas Tech to me and I'm not here, you know, uh like mentioning solid grapes or anything like that just because of Badasu, but they didn't really you know blow me away with their with their ability or.
Speaker 6: Anything like that.
Speaker 5: I think that is really classic on the the middle of the road team, even in the Big twelve, you know, on defense, I didn't see you know, really anything eye popping or really super impressive, you know, from them. I don't think their defense comes even close to them to that of Utah because either of a, even though they did big Utah thought they were just running up, you know, up and down the field on them. So I think if if U of A was able to really handle a very good Utah defense in Cult Lake City the way they did, I don't think there's going to be a problem uh doing that against Texas Tech. I think that a lot of issues that a SU had in that game from an offensive standpoint is that Camps Kataboo, they're starting running back, they just really random way too hard just because there's some injuries that are affecting that position.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Kenny doing m a SU's head coach, said that when you run run, when you do run one running back time and time again, you're just not really presenting any complexity in creativity, uh, with with your running game, and that makes the opposing run defense be that much more effective. I don't know what the situation is in terms of the running back depth and Tucson, but I think if you can throw U you know, different running backs and different running styles at them, uh, you know that that's definitely something that that can.
Speaker 6: Help you of A.
Speaker 5: And I don't think their second day of past rush is anything that the U A really really should be apprehensive about. And with their passing game.
Speaker 6: Capabilities, I do expect you a to win, you.
Speaker 5: Know, and maybe something that you you guys been talking on the show the whole week. It's not so much maybe the physical aspect, but I was on this week. I think it's a mental aspect. How how do you actually handle success with a mass After a massive MASSI win in Salt Lake City, can you really regroup and refocus and just put that impressive win way back in the rearview mirror? Or is that we'ren't going to have some kind of a hangover, Because if it's the latter, I think Texas Tech.
Speaker 6: You know, is good enough to beat Arizona, I and Tucson.
Speaker 5: But again, if I was on a place at the same level they played at Salt Lake City, I don't see why the wild Cats don't win that game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I totally agree with you.
Speaker 2: It's the he has the hangover that Arizona usually has trouble with. So we'll see what happens. Hold IM always good to talk to you, man. I will talk to you soon with updates and things like that as we move forward. Thike Tobb, thank you, Hoderbino from the Devils that I just love talking to him.
Speaker 3: It's funny because he's.
Speaker 4: Not a and he said, I'm not here to Sara Grimson.
Speaker 3: He's not a homer. He's not a homer. He just kind of tells how it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a break, come back, talk more about the game. About the football game, right because we're gonna have Reggie Geary on the other side.
Speaker 3: We're talking about basketball.
Speaker 4: You're an Arizona men's basketball fan. You know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot rivera twenty five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Hi, this is formal.
Speaker 14: While get Leman huntly with Arizona Health, Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 3: And your life.
Speaker 14: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona.
Speaker 3: Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 15: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial daid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edus slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steven Barry here, and I've got a tip. You want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency.
Speaker 3: You're always in good hands.
Speaker 2: Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 16: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebelspoker dot com.
Speaker 1: Bass I on the Ball Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show called up Steve now went five to two oh four seventy.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Why to Ball, Drew Pockfort, Hians Kubavera, your Troy. I just send yaya to plural. Now we got our guy Ryan here with us in control of the show. Uh, I was gonna ask you, what was I gonna ask you? Already forgot seven years? So yeah, hey, this week is the seven year anniversary of the It's not like Arizona didn't have their issues.
Speaker 3: You know, issue has their issues.
Speaker 2: Seven year anniversary of of UA and Sean and book getting in trouble. It happened last week, seven year anniversary, but today was the first day that Sean spoke about it seven years ago. Does it feel seven years ago?
Speaker 4: No? And you know, it's funny, it felt like it was a seven year process during the time, just you know, dragged out and non stop wait and see. But now that it's been seven years, looking back, it doesn't feel that it was that long ago that DeAndre Aiden was on campus and he had all the craziness with Booker and Sean and what went down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no question, seven years I felt, you know, like a I don't want the seven year itch kind of thing now. But it took forever. It finally got resolved. All the parties are gone and some did okay, some did not.
Speaker 3: Some are still in the show.
Speaker 2: Cause yeah, yeah, right, yeah. So the good thing is it's over with and Arizona has done well moving on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know, I think it kind of dragged out there when Sean left it. It felt like the cloud had been lifted from the program that seemed to be a black cloud just sitting there, not only FBI but other stuff that went on during that time. And now you look seven years later, I think the program is in the better place than it was seven years ago.
Speaker 2: Without question, Thommy's has done a pretty good job with the excitements. Back at the end of Sean, it was not It's not there. The crowds were in the twelve thousands. People will deny that they were. They were losing a lot of games, and people will deny that it was true. No chance that really deep runs in the NCAA tournament. Honestly, in my twenty nine years and going to the U of a game.
Speaker 4: Is as little as a little kid, those were some of the worst crowds I've ever seen that McHale, And I don't know if you'll ever have that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I've been doing it thirty some years and covering it for a team for almost that long. No question, very complacent, very apathetic. They too wanted a change, you know, coach, coach, president Robbins and over my dead body for some of that time, and then eventually they had to say, you know, goodbye, which was the smart thing to do. Yeah, moving on, and everybody had said, who's Tommy Lloyd? Well, here we are with a pretty good program, or watching a pretty good program covering a team. Yeah, okay, so we'll talk more about football. I know we're getting some calls, so we'll see what happens. I can't so Texas Tech pretty looked pretty good against the.
Speaker 4: Issue solid you know, they struggled a little bit but came away with a close victory over a s U Yeah, yeah, okay, okay, we got a call.
Speaker 3: Oh you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 4: I don't know why he sounded so like not content with Antonio Pearce.
Speaker 3: Is you know, getting in trouble. He's the coach of the Raiders. Isn't he going throing?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Only he'd only suffered more if he was the coach of the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: You know, as a.
Speaker 4: Yourself, guess where I'm going this weekend, Steve, You're going to You're going to hold on?
Speaker 3: Is it a little legitimate ask? Where are you going?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: No, I legitimate asked.
Speaker 17: I'm going to somewhere you're very familiar.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're going to New Mexico. I'm going to the Hot Air Balloon. Fish's propriate. That's now, well, you have a chance to go pick some pinon.
Speaker 4: That's what the season is right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 17: They're good, They're all different, They're buttery and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Man, so I'm going.
Speaker 18: I'm going to see if I'm gonna get red chili on my White Cowboys jersey.
Speaker 17: It's hard to get red chili as the White Cowboys jersey. But I was calling to make fun of a certain guy that was on this show about the certain mediocrity sort of like mine, with.
Speaker 9: The sort of the same lore.
Speaker 6: But I don't hear that guy at all. Is it?
Speaker 3: Is there a change? Is my heart broken?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know you didn't know Jay's no longer here?
Speaker 6: Yes, So you guys did it?
Speaker 3: Do you email me or give me the memo?
Speaker 2: Hey, all we have to do is tell the public that that's happening, and you should be listening to us every day. Wegel You know, I thought you were the most informed guy in Tucson, and now you disappointed me.
Speaker 18: Well, I've allays here doing see it's my podcast season as well, so it's crazy.
Speaker 3: But go to the football game.
Speaker 18: I know last week was our first big twelve wins, but it's not really our first big twelve win. Our first big twelve wins gonna be if we.
Speaker 3: Win on Saturday night. Would you agree?
Speaker 2: Well, well, we've talked about this. I don't know if it's a I don't agree with you because it's last week is a big win, but I think the rest of the season will establish who you are.
Speaker 3: But but what I'm saying is Utah. You know Utah was already.
Speaker 18: They came with us, they tagged along winers, they followed it.
Speaker 3: I see what just read it fall You know what I mean. This is Texas Tech, you know, Kansas.
Speaker 18: State, you know, with that debacle, and we're not gonna talk about that to us because we don't.
Speaker 3: We don't talk about that anymore. This is gonna be the first.
Speaker 18: One because you know, I've been running my mouth and my mouth.
Speaker 17: Saying that we're gonna open up your refrigerator, put our feet on your coffee table.
Speaker 3: This is this is our chats and this is.
Speaker 18: One of the first real a real big twelve, big Big twelve teams.
Speaker 3: We're gonna see your.
Speaker 18: Big eight teams and this I look at this.
Speaker 3: Like, if they win, this is gonna be one of the first ones. So sorry, you have your CV your CD radio on. Okay, sir, you another thing. There's a lot of things.
Speaker 6: Going on in Tucson.
Speaker 4: Tucson, eat yourself the fist us.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that thing is grueling.
Speaker 17: If you want to watch baseball, don't go there. But if you want to give missed up, get miss stuff, go to the game.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, thanks to this show, you know, thank you man, Thank you, Miguel.
Speaker 3: This is Mike. Mike.
Speaker 2: Uh everything you said, if I can remember anything that he said, I kind of agree. In terms of being the Big twelve, a true Big twelve team, they just gotta win. You know, it's easy, but he just got to win well.
Speaker 4: And that's also I'm measuring, Sike of what Big twelve opponents are going to look like. You know, Utah being a pack tall opponent in Mountain West history. There, you know what they've done Texas Tech that they've been in the Big twelve for a number of years, so this is kind of the norm and the Big twelve, you know, the high powered offense, not a lot of defense, and how do you match up against that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, back in the day, I'm gonna be like Jay back in the day in nineteen eighty ninety nine, it was eighty nine, I think it was.
Speaker 3: I was covering football.
Speaker 2: I was, you know, twenty two years old, twenty four years old, whatever, and Jay was covering football too, So we were competing against each other.
Speaker 3: And we went to Texas Tech. I was covering from one paper, he was for the other.
Speaker 2: And Arizona thought, Okay, they're going to Texas Tech. It'll be a breeze, no problem. And Arizona came out and getting their ass kicked. James Gray ran all over them, and you're thinking, well, maybe we're not the hutshot team that we thought we were. This is kind of that moment where you have to prove who you are. Last week Arizona proved kind of who they are, but to me, there's some residual from the three weeks before, but from moving on forward, they have to proof who they are. They have talent? Am I wrong?
Speaker 3: The talent? Talent? Do they have enough talent. So there's two things.
Speaker 2: They have talent. They have enough talent. Talent, had great spots, right kicker, quarterback, receiver, CBS, their defense, right running back, where would you put down?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: Solid, solid in the backfield. Okay, So they have a pretty good team. Now they just can't drink the kool aid themselves. Well, I think part of that is consistency. How do you consistently perform? You had a great game against Utah. Again, Cam Rising wasn't there, but what they did offensively against Utah is nothing to you know, shrug your shoulders about. That's a great defense. Can you be consistent, especially on the offensive side of the football after the last two weeks where Arizona struggled on the offensive end, can you have that consistency against the Texas Tech defense that, let's face it, outside of the turnovers, really is a revolving door out there on the field.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, I know you're right. So so we'll see what happens. We talked about this before the show started. I think Troy, I think we've heard I heard seeing the last of the ringback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ray, Shawn Luke, no, no no, no, no.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: Corey Krossky merrit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well not officially, so we don't want to say anything.
Speaker 2: But I think this is just me saying this. He hasn't he hasn't played.
Speaker 4: Since he hasn't played, the comments have been will wait and see, And you know, we're sitting here fifty five games, almost six weeks and almost you know, if it's if it hasn't happened at this point, That's how I feel history tells you at this point it's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, and whether they want to be koy with it or whatever, at the very least, at some point soon, if it's not gonna happen, it's not gonna happen, they need to say. And if they if they say, uh, we're still waiting, that's information too.
Speaker 3: I mean, at some point there's news there. I think.
Speaker 4: Well, it's similar to again a different situation, but Cam Rising last year with the season ending injury for weeks and weeks and weeks, Kyle winningham Wash. We'll see, it's it's day to day, we'll see, We'll see how he does this week. We'll see how he does this week. By mid season, oh he's out for the year. Yeah, you know, so you knew he was going to be out for the year for that whole entire time. Is the situation still learning or do you kind of know the result?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: This kind of reminds me of when Seawn had Derek Williams and he had hand in a cast.
Speaker 3: Or the broken hand and.
Speaker 2: The broken non broken hand, because they didn't say it was broken. We kind of all knew it was broken, but it wasn't officially broken because they didn't say, because you know why, we don't want to give the opponents an advantage. What the hell they see it had in a cast, whether it's broken or not. He hasn't had in this cast. What's the big deal if you kind of walk with the limp? You walk with the limp. No, I don't you walk with a limp. You can see it.
Speaker 3: You need glasses, No, I don't you with my own eyes while you lying eyes?
Speaker 2: Right, of course, So at some point they're going to say he's coming back or he's not coming back. Yeah, my opinion that we've seen the lasted I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: I would agree.
Speaker 4: I would assume that we've seen the last Jacoria cross conmerit again, it's still up in the air. They haven't commented on it, and it could go either way, but I just think this is going to be a situation where this is what they got in the backfield. There's no there's no additions moving forward.
Speaker 2: And we may have seen the last we have for sure of a speedy loop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, he's going to take a red shirt, and Brennan during his press conference today was very clear that that was a Rayshon Luke and his family decision to red shirt and set out the year and developed that way. And usually when that happens the next during the off season, the kid transfers. So I'm assuming that's probably what we're going to see here, but you never know. Maybe it is to get stronger, bigger, faster, and he'll be back next season. But you know, you just get the feeling that Rayshon Luke is going to be looking for a new home this offseason, but he is still on the team right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that's fair for her to say, Uh, that's another wait and see right. Uh, he's obviously speedy. Yeah, and that's not a misnomber. That's that's true. Whether he was able to you know, find or be comfortable because his one knock was what.
Speaker 4: Could fumbling the ball and the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield as well?
Speaker 3: What is he? Is he a FOOTBA player? Yeah? Shouldn't they do that? Not all asid dB I? They should catch the ball? Is it for last week?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 4: I'm just saying in general, how many DB's he said to Caio last season? Drop five interceptions? You know you're a football player, catch the ball? Right, Okay, I'm a radio Guys should know what I'm saying, which, of course doesn't mean much.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we've got about two minutes.
Speaker 2: We're gonna come back after this break here or after this a segment and then come back with Ryan with a lot of breaking news.
Speaker 3: Uh Diamondbacks. So, by the way, are you okay? Are you okay? I don't want to talk about it. Why you're fine? You're a young kid.
Speaker 4: There's more heartache in your future, only only positive from here on out.
Speaker 3: What world are you leaving? How much is gas in your area.
Speaker 4: A dollar or something? How much is bread in your area? How much your eggs in your Let me tell you something. This is called real world stuff.
Speaker 3: Troy. Yeah, yeah, you know, don't blow and ain't nothing lead.
Speaker 2: Good and that's there's probably two games you can find somewhere along the line, probably more, but that that was like last week.
Speaker 4: That was last week, and the whole entire demeanor of the organization and the team shifted. You're rolling against uh Milwaukee, and then you lose that ain't nothing game, and then you lose two out of three to the Rockies, two out of three to the Giants. That just seemed to be a black cloud hanging around the organization during that time.
Speaker 3: Well, well, and you can you can pinpoint that are we good? Are we good? Down right?
Speaker 2: How much we Yeah, let's let's get out of here. Come back with you. Ryan on the other side with breaking news