Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show, on demand on the iHeartRadio app, Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. We are broadcasting live today from Anaheim, a White House Restaurant. This is the home of the Pastathon. This is the fourteenth annual KFI Pastathon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every year we say this and it becomes more and more true. It feels like that it's just the generosity of the listeners, the generosity the people who show up on days like today, the people who log on and donate that help not just Chef Bruno take care of Katerina's Club, but help the kids that are helped by Katerina's Club. And that number has grown, i mean just by the thousands, it seems like every year that we've done this, and they're up to twenty five thousand meals every single week to kids in need in southern California. Twenty five thousand meals. So you can come on out to the Anaheim White House Restaurant today. We're on South Anahem Boulevards, super easy to get to. We'll be here until ten o'clock tonight. And this can be your donation drop off site. Whether it's a check cash however you want to do it, or the pasta and sauce that you have been collecting, you can drop it off here as well. You could donate online to make it easy. Go to KFIAM six forty dot com slash Pastathon, donate directly on the site, or go check out all of the auction items that are up because there are some pretty incredible ones. I mentioned the Taraea Resort, Tonight's Stay. We have also some Each of the shows basically has a gift or a program that you can take part in. The four VIP tickets to the Garden Grove Police Department Canine Experience that's up there, some musical stuff, some sports memorabilia, the Tito's Vodka martini basket. Not saying that that's a good thing, but I'm saying that's a very good That sounds like fun, be a good thing. So there's all kinds of different stuff up there. If you go to KFIAM six forty dot com slash pastathon.
Speaker 1: Have to strip at the game with this bid for six thousand dollars, Yeah, you will do it.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying I won't I'm just saying, if it's a little more than that, I can almost guarantee.
Speaker 1: That it'll happ Really, we get a little bit more than that, maybe some of your clothes come.
Speaker 3: Off, maybe some tops and some bottoms.
Speaker 4: Maybe some Tito's Smartini time.
Speaker 2: Also today only, when you go to the Wild Fork locations in Hontington Beach Coast to Mason Mission, Viejo or Laguna Neguel, do your regular shopping and then tell them at checkout the KFI Pastathon, and fifteen percent of your total is going to.
Speaker 3: Be donated to the postathon.
Speaker 2: You can plan your holiday meal when you go to Wildfortfoods dot com. Shop at any Smart and Final store, donate any amount at checkout through Sunday. This will keep going, so you have some other meals that you're gonna be planning, go through Sunday, and then any Wendy's restaurant throughout southern California donate five dollars in more, get a coupon book for Wendy's Goodies through Sunday as well, and again one hundred percent of those donations are going to go straight to Katerina's Club.
Speaker 3: Now this is even more massive.
Speaker 2: Through twelve o'clock through seven minutes ago, you have generously donated two hundred and twenty four thousand, two hundred and forty five dollars two twenty four to two forty five. And this is also impressive because we didn't see this before.
Speaker 3: So in the eleven o'clock hour.
Speaker 2: The eleven o'clock total an hour ago was about seventy eight hundred pounds of pasta and sauce. As of noon, almost three times that amount, twenty one thousand, two hundred and seventeen pounds of pasta and sauce.
Speaker 1: Incredible.
Speaker 2: That is over ten tons of pasta and sauce that have been donated already too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we haven't even seen what Deborah's gonna dress John in today. Yeah, I mean I think that's what everyone's here to see.
Speaker 5: Everybody goes, yeah, yeah, oh my god, it's epic.
Speaker 3: Let me just say it's well, if they told me.
Speaker 1: Yesterday he's not doing any bikini stuff. He said he doesn't want to show any skin.
Speaker 5: I would not do that to you guys.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I get the hell out of here. I'm not waiting around to see this.
Speaker 1: But call these beautiful ladies waiting to see what John's gonna have on.
Speaker 5: It's hysterical, It's it's going to be quite the show. Seriously, two o'clock after my two o'clock news, that's when it's going.
Speaker 4: To go down.
Speaker 1: You're gonna beat last year's oh yatin leopard print pajamas.
Speaker 5: Yes, and he wore an avocado hat too, least.
Speaker 4: That's what that was. I was like, what's with the bucket hat?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was an avocado hat. I originally was looking for a broccoli hat, and then it wasn't going to come in time, so my default was the avocado hat.
Speaker 2: One am I You're the only person who could ever get away with saying what you just said. I ordered a broccoli hat, but it wasn't going to come in time.
Speaker 1: And it didn't even strike me as ill right like, I just like I got it. One of my favorite moments in life was when I made John eat a piece of broccoli. I forget what event it was. I think was it Morton's or something. And he had never had a piece of broccoli, which is crazy, right, Yeah, which is crazy, And like his face did this thing of like before he even put it in his mouth, so dramatic.
Speaker 4: He's so dramatic. What else is going on?
Speaker 3: Time for what's happening?
Speaker 2: What's one of the big water damage?
Speaker 6: Fire damage?
Speaker 2: Burglary called public adjuster abner ga nine one seven five two five six.
Speaker 1: I was totally gonna throw this glass of water on you, like water damage all right now.
Speaker 2: One of the big stories locally is that Hannah Kobayashi's.
Speaker 3: Terry missing person. She is, she's on her own.
Speaker 2: The l a p D has investigated their Missing Persons unit. I don't know if they've actually been physically in contact with her, but they seem to believe that Hana Kobayashi, thirty years old, she vanished in La on November eighth.
Speaker 3: Her family lost their minds, you might.
Speaker 2: Knew, but she was spotted crossing into Mexico on November twelve.
Speaker 1: Willingly, happily a voluntary missing person.
Speaker 2: Yes, And they're saying that originally the family believed that she may have been a victim of a violent crime or been convicted.
Speaker 3: Are not convicted?
Speaker 2: A victim of some sort of coercion by somebody, And they said, we're pretty certain she's just going to live by herself.
Speaker 6: I get it.
Speaker 4: Who doesn't feel that way? From time to time.
Speaker 1: Okay, a sheriff's deputy and Williamson County's my favorite story Illinois is being praised. He rescued a pregnant woman whose car would not stop as it sped toward a freezing lake. It was a seven minute ordeal began with a frantic nine to one one call early Wednesday morning. She said, I need help. My brakes won't stop. My car won't stop. My brakes aren't working. I'm twenty weeks pregnant. I cannot die today. The car is traveling about thirty miles per hour on this dark rural road and it's headed for a dead end near a lake.
Speaker 4: So deputies quickly respond.
Speaker 1: Dispatchers are coordinating the efforts to intercept the vehicle, and they're trying to figure out which way she's going, And so the dispatcher says, turn right at the next road.
Speaker 4: Okay, If you don't, you're going to go into a lake.
Speaker 1: Deputy Tyler Coffee was the first to catch up with the runaway car. He used a rolling roadblock maneuver. He positioned his patrol car in front of the vehicle to bring it to a stop. Her brake lights were illuminating, he said, she was not slowing down. Once I got in front of her vehicle slowed down, her bumpers met mine, and slowly we came to a stop. In the nine to one one call, the woman can be heard screaming, I'm gonna hit the cop. I'm gonna hit him, because she didn't know that the deputies were there helping her, and so during the crash, the woman and her dog the deputies unharmed. Both cars sustained only minor damage. When asked about being called a hero, Deputy Coffee says, I've been getting that a lot. I appreciate the comments, but we're all heroes, everyone from the dispatchers down to the deputies.
Speaker 2: I have seen some of the Yeah, I've seen some of the dash camera footage of the officers as they're i mean, flying down these rural roads to try to get in front of this woman, and it's pretty dramatic. There have been some awful, awful stories that ended very very badly in cars like that, where something gives out on the breaks and they can't stop.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it a California Highway patrolman whose car wouldn't stop on the freeway. This has gotta be like twenty years ago by now, and you could hear the nine to one one call and it was chilling, and that did not end well.
Speaker 3: And there they were gaining speed. Was awful.
Speaker 2: One of the other big stories internationally South Korea is what's going on. The President of South Korea now says he will lift the martial law that he imposed a short time ago. There's this huge political drama that's playing out in Korea right now. In South Korea, specifically, troops surrounded the South Korean Parliament late last night early this morning just because of the time to friends, and lawmakers voted to reject martial law. The president had said that he was trying to fight against anti state forces. He's struggling against this opposition that controls the parliament. He's accused the parliament of sympathizing with the communists in North Korea.
Speaker 6: So he.
Speaker 2: Declared martial law. The parliament said you can't do that, and he said, you're probably right. I can't do that, so I will undeclare martial law. It's just a mess in South Korea as of right now, in just over the course of several hours that this has been going.
Speaker 1: On, it's like a Korean drama a coup. It is a Korean select Taco Bell drive through his nationwide. We'll have phone booths to capture the liv photo booths. What did I say, phone booths? Oh, I'm sorry, photo booths. Taco Bell Rewards members. I didn't know there was a rewards program in California, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, and Florida will be able to participate in the drive through photo booth experience, and then some of those photos could end up being in Taco Bell's upcoming commercial. That's gonna be like a It's almost like a duy photo booth, right, like the Taco Bell drive through.
Speaker 3: Well, didn't they started advertising that fourth meal?
Speaker 6: Wasn't that? Isn't that Taco Bell?
Speaker 2: It was basically, when you're high and you need a snack in the middle of the night, you can call it your fourth meal.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever been at a drive through in the daylight hours at a Taco Bell.
Speaker 3: I didn't know they had drive throughs. You did it?
Speaker 1: No, of course, I'm like, what, I don't know if I've ever stepped inside one of those.
Speaker 2: We are live today at Anaheim White House Restaurant for the fourteenth annual KFI Postathon.
Speaker 3: You can give online.
Speaker 2: You can give it a smart and final, Our fourteenth annual Postathon is upon us and of course, Chef Bruno's charity, Katerina's Club, provides the meals to kids throughout southern California.
Speaker 3: Twenty five thousand is that right? Every week? Twenty five thousand.
Speaker 6: Thousand meals a single week. This year's big year. You know, not sure if you you put farve on me on my social media, but we did a big celebration. We save the ten million meals.
Speaker 2: So well, I remember the millions. I mean, that's that's how long we've been doing this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look up, but funm I put on the social media, I can see one million, two three four. This year was the ten menal. It's a big, huge deal, which is like unbelievable to me because I'm not there to count every day obviously, but the girls office have too for accounting purpose. And when you say we're really past ten medion and that was like four or five months ago, that I mean we go to be close to eleven million very soon.
Speaker 2: It's nice to be too busy to realize your success, and I mean success, maybe not the right word.
Speaker 6: But the achievement, Yeah, the achievement when I think about that, I mean I was talking this morning early with bild And and it's like I remember the first day, the first kid, the first past, the first location, and that day was really big deals to me. Now we are in one hundred and thirty one location, thirty city in ARAGECNY alone and five thousand meals every single day, and it's like wow to myself, you know, like out in so many years we end up to be there. That is out nineteen years this year with a caterina's club. Next year big year. We celebrating the twenty years at universary.
Speaker 4: Also take us back to that first meal.
Speaker 6: That is probably the one in my mind every single time. That's ye a bit of faster. Mom was here there own as my hometown Italy Beetle time come over three months with me. We went to a boys girls club. It was like not too far away from the White House and was an atheosor kid and Billy still love the kid, like remembers yesterday and the director of the club and said, you know that is a live in a motel. Probably mom can't cook for him because there's no kitchen. It's like, oh, like I mentioned, had no idea what motel was. I told her, if you don't want to spend money at the hills of the Mario, you go to a motel. That's it. No, No, the residence for a lot of poor people, also drug addict, dog dealer, prostitution, everything on those hotel area. And when I said it, cannot have meals that night because on the motel he was eating potato chips. My mom said, why don't you give a pasta? And look at you said, yeah, let's go back to the rest and prepare pasta. We're being pastor to the club without taking anything or tomorrow or the next day, just for that night and that day. Let me even passed to the skids. The day after, day after day after nineteen years later, ten million meals later, here we are. And I always have to say it's thanks also two K five Pasta Tone, because if I don't have a Pasta Tone every year like we do, I would have to cut our project at least fifty percent. I mean Pasta Tone as being the one who has helped me to keep doing what they do more and more and more because your toy one city one not in toy location is expensive. I mean the cost and everything. I mean because okay, if five came on board fourteen years ago and we do what we do, I was able to double triple for triple or what we start to begin with. I mean every lessen. You know, people walk past tomato everyone to give the dollar, the five thousands, there's a matter what it's thanks to all those people then has helped shop Bud to do what it does today. Basically, can you.
Speaker 2: Stick around for another segment? I mean with you the stories that you've told before. Obviously that the story about Billy we hear every year and I look forward to it because I know what means to the look on your face when you tell the story.
Speaker 3: Katerina, of course is Mama, right, is your mom? It's named after her.
Speaker 1: Chef Bruno is with us, and we were talking about the twenty five thousand kids a week in southern California that you have been feeding for nineteen years. So you've been doing this, but it's not just about the past and meals and making sure these kids don't go to bed hungry. You're also helping mom and dad find their footing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they have a project that I started thirteen years ago. It's called welcome home because I went to a club one day. So in the past I always do. And I was making aware of two children. They live with mom and daddy. Two most Sibily in a motel room for twelve years. And I told her, like, wow, in one room twelve years. Like your own bedroom twelve years there, matter of fact that the girls always tell me. Then she was doing her homework in a toilet talk about toilet seat. You know why, because it's the only quiet place for her to do her homework. That a was pretty said, I'd try to investigate why you live it for so long in the motel room, because there's not cheap you pay so you can afford an apartment. Say yes, Bruni know that, but when you move to an apartment, you need to pay the first last month deposit. They can't afford it. No way in the world that those people can save three four five thousand dollars. Years as ago it was probably twenty five hundred dollars, and now we get close to five thousand for the first two months. I mean, I have the first family moved them after twelve years, finally give them a decent place to live by paying what I say. And just recently we move a family number two hundred and seventy three. Wow. Then you have two hundred and seventy three apartment with people live on it. They are to qualifive number one things to qualify year to have children. It's not children. I won't help, not because I don't want to. But do that for the safety of the children, because they're e supposed to have any bad environment. Throw a drug, drug addict, prostitute, stuff like that. I mean, it's like, if you have children, I will do everything I can. You have to have a job, and because need to pay the rent, you have to pass a drug test and that's said to qualify. But the children's priority, and you give back a dinity to the mom and dad. We can think about if you're a father, if you're a mother, you live in a motel room with your family. You come home at night, you cannot smile on the face. And when I do that, I know then at night time. Now they have an apartment. Just a little story. I want to help one family need to move out, and I give them pass the tomatoes. So and I said, when you guys eat it, tonight it was no furniture. We don't care eat on the floor. I was like, wow, I call the restaurants. I need a table for chair. I want them to eat. And another family was think about that one there were six people. We moved them out and two three they after I seen them, I was it, Oh good, I said, what did you think sleep in your own room? Have they not yet said why? We were scared we sleep altogether in one room? Yeah, because so many years they used to sleep together in one bedroom. Let me they did not sleep at their own bedroom. And just think psychology that like, yeah, wow, I have so minimal story. But we were and that is two the three story. Then we really touched my heart to the fact that then there's a big change for those families. And one lady text me once, well, no, thank you so much. My kids was not doing well at school when you live in a motel. We came home this morning with students of the month. Oh my gosh, that's it. You don't need anybody else. I tell people, then you have got in a scrub. What I just say is thanks to all of you out there, because I could do it alone. But that is enough to give you straying to keep doing what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Also, and some of the people that have gone through the program, that were fed by you through Katerina's Club, have gone on to work for you. They've gone onto their own successful careers big time.
Speaker 6: Ever. Two kids, one kid which I'm jealous of him because he was a little teenager in graduated CIA could United Institute of America in nap for to shift from the world. I didn't even do that class. He did it. I'm so proud when I hear that a young girl was working in the pastry shop making pastry. I mean, anything I do for any of those kids who are capable to get something gets somewhere, It's make me happy.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Mama Katerina played a huge role.
Speaker 2: I mean even her memory plays a huge role in what you do big time every day, every day for this What does it mean for you to be as as accomplished as you are in this arena? What do you think Mama thinks her now?
Speaker 6: But first of all, she would not like to have a photo over She would crazy. So what are you put on my feature everywhere? Because she's such a she was just such a number woman. You know, this year is one or there year's birthday. She's in heaven for ten years, but humble woman like children, come here food, I have some amazing If she's see from heaven what I don't. She's proud.
Speaker 1: She's especially proud of that picture of you and the Pope that she said, wow, exactly like that.
Speaker 4: That's when you know your son has made it.
Speaker 6: And when I got knighted by the government of Italy. When I got knighted, but all your family of ity, she probably told me, okay, we'll know enough. Back to work. Well.
Speaker 2: But one of the reasons that you're that we that KFI is even here is because of our executive producer, Michelle Cube, the Queen.
Speaker 6: The Queen, the queenam care tell.
Speaker 2: Everybody about that relationship, how that storted and why it's a missed.
Speaker 6: Out with fun things to do in Bill Clinton and Monica and whiskey those years and I know it's okay. I five was. She contacts us and they say, hey, would you mind if you do something of the White House and Monica and Clinton understand I'm not a politician, and they care. I was like sure, and they came, a bunch of people came and I was like Wow, that Rengeo must be little famous, you know. I see bunch of people come for that event. And some years later Michelle saw me on TV maybe on CNN, Hero something like that, and she's like, wow, that's the guy. We got his restaurant on Bill Clinton, et cetera. And they called me up and said, hey, bro, you don't want who do the past? I nows, yeah, and that's probably to be one of my best friendship of the last fourty yield than I have, but not because the money. Then we get in the passion that this woman as for K five if it's in the kids, I remember Dad. She love K a big time. Michelle and I we text her, how are you doing? Even if you have nothing to do about past? That town? Better? She has a if every human beings at the heart like she does, would be a better world, always say, because she's an amazing woman, great, great relations and all of you, all of you.
Speaker 3: Do you watch the Bear on Hulu? Was that the chef show out of Chicago?
Speaker 4: He's too busy.
Speaker 6: I never watched any chef show on No, because they're all live enough kitchens me. I don't need to go home. I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: People that work in restaurants, will say it stresses them out.
Speaker 6: Lee, Yeah, I love Lucy is fun.
Speaker 2: Jeff Bruno as always an absolute pleasure to be here and be in your presence, and we thank you for everything that you've done.
Speaker 6: So thank you.
Speaker 2: Flock live today our fourteenth annual CAFI Pastathon. Again, everybody's gonna be out here until ten o'clock tonight. We're gonna have some great stuff that shows are going to continue to do and give out, et cetera. If you come on out and say hi at the Anaheim White House Restaurant here on South Anaheim Boulevard. John's gonna come up in just a few minutes. Conway and his group will be here at four o'clock. Of course, Moe and his group at ten o'clock or seven o'clock. Sorry all the way till ten? Was that a more a boo?
Speaker 1: So how does it work, Debra? In terms of is John dressing up an auction item?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, so John is going to uh be wearing a ridiculous outfit and dancing dancing.
Speaker 4: I don't think auctions off the dance right?
Speaker 5: Well, yes, it's more if you want to see John come out in his ridiculous outfit and dance and you can dance with him?
Speaker 4: Yes, then you have to how much do you charge for that?
Speaker 1: You're like a You're like a You're like a madam and he's like your sex work.
Speaker 5: Wait till you see this outfit, Chantton.
Speaker 3: I don't want to see it.
Speaker 4: I'm still traumatized from last year.
Speaker 5: This will traumatize you anymore, So people will just Eric Sclar, our technical director, is going to be in charge of the bidding, so I'm going to leave that part up to him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'll, you'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: I have faith in you.
Speaker 5: But just remember when you use the word madam, and then when you see John, you'll it'll kind of.
Speaker 4: It all clicks.
Speaker 6: It all clicks.
Speaker 4: So I wasn't far off.
Speaker 1: But I'm not a madam, right, But you are asking for money in exchange for John spotty.
Speaker 3: John is true? So you could call it a pimp.
Speaker 4: Is that easier for you to want? That's a pimp jacket for sure? For sure.
Speaker 2: If she had a matching hat, if she had that guy's wet a pimp, that would be great.
Speaker 3: Big Uh, when are you.
Speaker 6: Going to do that?
Speaker 3: That's it?
Speaker 1: What are you selling?
Speaker 6: After the two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll do the news at too, and then John will be strutting his stuff after that.
Speaker 4: And this is gonna be this is going to shut down social media tonight.
Speaker 2: I can already tell I feel that Instagram is going to pull the plug on itself out right.
Speaker 4: This might be the thing that breaks the Internet.
Speaker 2: A reminder, you can donate now right on the website. If you go to kf I Am six forty dot com slash pastathon, you could donate right there. We do have our auction items that are up on that you can bid on. I just mentioned the Great Dinner, the private dinner that the chef Bruno is offering, and we've already got a couple of bids on that, so that's great. Check all of those out. You can go to a Dodger game with Shannon and I or is it Shannon and me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, you can go to a Dodger game with us next summer. Obviously, we'll pick a great tay a day to hang out in the luxury suite.
Speaker 3: There's the two night resort stay at Tarana.
Speaker 2: The Garden Grove Police Department Canine Experience, which is a really cool, unique thing that's on there. Wanted to thank once again the Hilton Anaheim for the hotel accommodations for some of our crew. If you're headed out to Disney, the Good Neighbor Hotel, located less than a mile from Disneyland Resort, now offering newly renovated guest rooms that look spectacular. More exciting changes to come next year. Check out Hilton Anaheim Hotel for its current offers. For everybody who came out today so far, thank you, thank you for being here. This is you guys are absolutely what makes Katerina's Club successful and we're glad that we can play it, just even a little part of it. So thanks once again for coming out.
Speaker 4: Figure out how this cord comes out.
Speaker 6: I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 3: Just ohtle harder.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you. Okay, now that that's accomplished. Thank you guys. This has been so much fun. We will see you at our next news and bruise.
Speaker 1: We don't have it on the books yet, but we already have a request from Jony and Donna to come back to Orange County.
Speaker 3: The Johnt Cobalt Show is coming up next. We'll see you tomorrow. Stay drive everybody listen and listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. Gary and Shannon, Oh that would a good time. Okay, bye bye. Now you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app