Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to k if I Am six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. That was my name. You can't take my name, damn it. You can call me the Fawns. Stop it. Six.
Speaker 2: I was six. I love His real name was Arthur.
Speaker 1: Did anybody call you Fonsie per your request? No?
Speaker 2: Did you tell yourse you're wearing a leather jacket though I think that's appropriate for did you yes?
Speaker 1: Did you ask your parents, hey, call me fons.
Speaker 2: I just floated the idea. It wasn't really a request.
Speaker 1: What was their reaction? They didn't look up. They didn't look up. They didn't look up. Wasn't that a simpler time when our parents just ignored us. We could talk.
Speaker 2: I didn't care at all, When you could say something like, hey, guys, I'm gonna do a show.
Speaker 1: If you guys don't mind, I'm just gonna.
Speaker 2: Do a little thing right here, a little skit right and then nobody would look at anything.
Speaker 1: Is that why we do what we do? Because they are par for so long? Probably? All right?
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon k if I Am six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: App What are the Yankees going to be? The Yankees? Like, it's kind of not even fair at this point. They look awful.
Speaker 2: I saw Alex Rodriguez on TV this morning and he was trying to explain what it's going to take for the Yankees to come back and win. I mean, first of all, history making would be you know that that would help, But hey, win one game, just win one, you get that's the's the way you start.
Speaker 1: I was listening to Rogan and Rodney yesterday on the way home and they were talking about the idiots that are like, no, I want them to win it here. It's like, no, you don't. If you're a fan, you want them who cares where? It doesn't matter where. Let the sweeping the Yankees winning in New York, that would be poetry.
Speaker 2: It'd be great to be able to celebrate in the damn thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be a big win for them.
Speaker 2: So that's silliness. But that game is tonight. Last night they won four to two, so Game four is tonight. They have the opportunity to sweep and to put an end to this baseball season. We'll see if that happens, but it is a bullpen game. I believe for the for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Tonight, Walker Bueller Man, you look great. Wow, that was incredible.
Speaker 2: They said something like the Yankees looked at twenty four four seam fastball strikes last night, which, because we know too much about statistics now, that's the second most for any team all season long, looking at the four seam fastballs and for the most part, that's the straightest ball that can be thrown.
Speaker 1: Well. Vice President Kamala Harris will deliver what they're calling her campaign's closing argument today from the same spot in Washington where former President Trump. Gosh, the god that even that ap it's awful. I know exactly so where where former President Donald Trump helped incite a mob that attacked the capital on January sixth. To this point, we are going to get to it later this hour, but the coverage Trump versus Harris has been the most lopsided ever. Yeah, it's crazy, and it just it makes me very angry with the media the way things are written. This is a case in point.
Speaker 2: Well, it goes back also to what we were talking about the last couple of days with the La Times in the Washington Post and them deciding not to do presidential or not to endorse a candidate in the presidential race this year, and Jeff Bezos wrote a notp ed piece that I didn't see it until this morning, and it was basically, hey, listen, we have an awful reputation. We the media are getting absolutely destroyed because everybody knows our hand before we play it. So maybe we pull back a little bit. Maybe we make an effort to make sure that all of the viewpoints in America are covered before we write stuff in our newspaper.
Speaker 1: Also, he said that they didn't endorse a candidate until nineteen seventy six. Also a thing again we talk.
Speaker 2: We grew up at a time when endorsements came from newspaper editorial boards, I mean, until the La Times didn't do it this time. I just thought that was something that always happened.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's not something that always happened.
Speaker 1: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jeff Bezos also makes the point who cares who? Who waits at home until the Washington Post publishes their endorsement and goes, I know, that's exactly what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna vote the way the Washington Post wants me to if you read the La Times and you read the Washington Post, do you know damn well would they endorse?
Speaker 2: And that's part of his point is like, we're not surprising anybody, We're not doing anything. So you mentioned Vice President Harris at the National Mall tonight. I think it's about four thirty our time is when that is planned. Former President Trump has been giving a speech in Palm Beach down at mar A Lago ben It's about an hour long now, and he's touched on a immigration, he's touched on the economy, he's touched on the exit from Afghanistan. And the assumption is he's going to take some questions. At least that's why it was pitched. So we're actually recording it and to see if he is asked any questions about, for example, Madison Square Garden. He then travels to Pennsylvania for a couple of events later tonight.
Speaker 1: He said this morning that Harris will have to go home and get herself a job someplace. Who knows. Oh.
Speaker 2: Speaking of the Harris thing, Joe Rogan has said that it's not still not off the table, but that the Harris campaign wanted him to travel to her to go to DC and would only offer her up for an hour long conversation for his podcast, as opposed to the three hours.
Speaker 1: That he spent with Donald Trump in Austin. I wish there was more of this across the board. Really, how are everyday people affected? Trump today? Featuring speakers who were harmed by policies under this administration. Tammy Nobles is one of them, talked about the death of her daughter, the perpetrator MS thirteen gang member in the country illegally. Michael Copy, owner of a dry cleaner place, Go Green Dry Cleaners, talked about how he and other small businesses are unable to keep up with inflation. Christy Shamblin daughter in law, Marine Sergeant Nicole Gee killed during that chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan. If we could have real people talk about how things affect them, it's better than Harris and Trump both calling each other fascists and pointing fingers.
Speaker 2: Which is funny because his speaking pattern, and we've talked about it before, is almost incoherent. I mean, trying to follow this guy's speech pattern is very, very diffinct. He's a weaver because he's weaving. But when these family members of people who are killed or small business owners get up and speak on his behalf. I guess you'd say on his behalf, or at least against the Biden Harris administration. It's a much more coherent argument. And if tonight's speech from Vice President Harris is supposed to be her closing argument, this is very much or could be taken as his closing argument. It's on his territory, it's on his turf kind of thing.
Speaker 1: He walked out to Michael Jackson's thriller. Apparently that's been a mainstay at many of his campaign rallies. Odd choice, do you think he does the dance? That'd be very funny. So the Harris Walls campaign will be running an ad on the exterior of the Sphere in Las Vegas, referred to as the Exosphere. It's going to launch today, we'll continue through election day. It appears to be the majority of the ball The sphere is blue, a big picture of Kamala there on that Some of her key messages will spin in rotation, such as vote for opportunity, vote for a new way forward, makes it clear to vote by November fifth. First time a political campaign has ever been activated on the exosphere. They got all kinds of money, they might as well throw it so sure, how much do you think that costs? No? I couldn't even We should take We should do a Gary and Shannon show add on the sphere, just.
Speaker 2: Do like our big circle, just lay it over it like it's a yeah or just a big eyeball that looks We should start a GoFundMe for that, or just ask them. Maybe they'll do it for free, you know, on and off day like maybe November sixth, they won't have any more political ads to run.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's when we start the garyon Shannon ad. Maybe maybe so.
Speaker 2: Tony Hinchcliffe was the comedian who at Madison Square Garden on Sunday Night caused everybody's heads to explode when he launched into a series of tasteless jokes.
Speaker 1: The more I think about the Puerto Rico thing, the more what an unforced error. Who asked for a joke about Puerto Rico? Right again, it's just dumb. It's not the payoffs not there, It's not worth it. Why would you?
Speaker 2: Why would you have a roast comedian come and do your show? But I found an interesting ally, perhaps of Tony Hinchcliff and that was Jon Stewart on The Daily Show.
Speaker 3: Now, obviously in retrospect, having a roast comedian come to a political rally a week before election day and roasting a key voting demographic probably not the best decision by the campaign politically, But to be fair, the guy's really just doing what he does.
Speaker 2: He goes on it plays a series of jokes from the Tom Brady roast, yes, which I can't I'm not going to play.
Speaker 1: That was a dirty, dirty, dirty roast. But he killed it.
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody was cracking up at his stuff.
Speaker 3: There's something wrong with me.
Speaker 1: I find that guy Verry Fonny. So I'm sorry. I don't know what to tell you, Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: I mean bringing him to a rally and have him not do roast jokes. That'd be like bringing Beyonce to a rally and not.
Speaker 1: Okay, we need to talk about that too, because the way the whole Beyonce event was billed was that she'd be performing. It was going to be this massive event. You're you're rolling out Beyonce like this is the biggest thing. Beyonce did not perform. She got up there and she talked for about a minute about the importance of voting in the election. Hey, look who's on the Today Show. It's Reba McIntyre. Your shame, Tom Brady. By the way, there she is. Is losing it, tom Brady. He's losing it because Giselle is pregnant with the jiu jitsu, the jude zitsu jiu jitsu. Yes, yes, instructors baby.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: So tom Brady's posting these like stories on social media, like pictures of sunsets with the lyrics to landslide, Mirror in the sky, what is love? Yes, he is. He's losing it. He's totally cracking up. Can a child in my heart rise above all? That was his hold on a second, I saw that Yeah on TV. Connection to that was his. He doesn't have a friend that reaches out and is like, hey, bro, take that down?
Speaker 2: Which phone down? Looks awful after you read this text, put your phone down. So yes, the question about what happened with the Beyonce thing in Houston. Everybody was touting it as it was going to be a Beyonce performance of some kind freedom.
Speaker 1: So does that mean that the campaign.
Speaker 2: Told members of the media that it was going to be a performer or did the media assume or did the media assume? We got caught up in that in Chicago during the Democratic National Convention because everybody was talking about what the surprise guest was going to be. Was it going to be Taylor Swift on Thursday night? Was it going to be Beyonce on Thursday night? And there were people sending pictures to us of random personal jets that were landing at O'Hare Airport or Chicago Midway and saying that's Taylor Swift's airplane.
Speaker 1: No or or or And this is the worst the.
Speaker 2: The more conspiratorial view of it is the campaigns colluded with the media outlets in Houston and other places to try to draw people to what Beyonce concert? Oh to draw and then you get to show, here's this huge arena packed to the rafters for a free rally, when actually they were there to go.
Speaker 1: See a Beyonce show, all right, coming up next.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody's going to see I don't think anyone's packing an arena to go see Lee Greenwood. Although I know he's a good artist, but he's not He's not packing him in to a How dare you?
Speaker 1: How dare I? Am also to be an American. It doesn't sound like it. It doesn't sound like it right now. Hey, if you want to go live in Canada, fine, but don't come here to America with that kind of attitude. Lee Greenwood would black in political rallies with Anne Murray. Dare you is she still alive? I don't know, I'll google it. Also, I found out how much we need to raise to rent out the sphere. Okay, so the sphere features three to four brands each day. Adds appear every few seconds for about four hours total of screen time. If we wanted to get in on this putting up the Gary and Shannon logo on the sphere the day after the election, it would cost us roughly four hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Okay, So that's how much we'd need to raise on our GoFundMe.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I'm not blinking at that. I feel like that's about what I would have guessed.
Speaker 1: You think that's doable.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would say doable. Are you actually going to put that in the American postal system?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It looks like you're mailing a blood sample to a mid Saharan country.
Speaker 1: Does it really? Is this the original packaging?
Speaker 2: Okay, but you you can't put that much tape on it because they're not gonna be able to read the label.
Speaker 1: Oh, I guess you can, right, it's clear tape.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bro, I don't say clear, but it's clear.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Governor Newsom is holding a news conference downtown LA right now talking about Hey, guess what more homeless funding hundreds of millions of dollars flowing from the state to local agencies to Oh wait, we've.
Speaker 1: Done this repeatedly, talk positions. We have money on homeless, millions billions of dollars that they can't figure it right, No, because they don't know how to spend the money. They don't know how to address a problem. There's too many cooks in the kitchen. Money is not the issue when it comes to homelessness. Wait, so then why is he then going to get it? Because he's a horse's ass dollars And.
Speaker 2: We've talked about how the endorsements are now disappearing from newspapers, although there are places where it never actually happened. The La Times, of course, we documented that story last week about how the owner Patrick Sohnschong permitted the Biden endorsement from four years ago, but did not allow the editorial page to post an endorsement in the presidential election. He says it was because they didn't do their homework. He had required of the editorial page workers to put together arguments for and against, and he said that never happened, so he wasn't going to allow them to put an endorsement in.
Speaker 1: Here's part of the problem, I think. In twenty twenty, the La Times published and opinion piece by its editorial board titled endorsement. Joe Biden isn't just anybody but Trump. He's the right fit for our polarized time. Kamala Harris is anybody but Trump. That's exactly what she is, right. Joe Biden had a lengthy decade. It's long career in Washington, able to reach across the aisle, had the relationships, forged the bonds to get things done in Washington. He really did. She doesn't have any of that. She's just anybody but Trump.
Speaker 2: And Democratic voters already had a chance to elevate her to somewhere near the top of the party and they decided against her. When she was in the primary. She didn't even make it to the Iowa CAUCUSUS.
Speaker 1: Now, she may get the job, and she may start building those relationships and forging those bonds in Washington, she may knock it out of the park. But she hasn't done that yet. And to say that she has, or that she is at the level that Joe Biden was when they endorsed Joe Biden, it's just being disingenuous to yourself.
Speaker 2: The USA Today took the unusual step of backing Biden in twenty twenty in the for the first time ever they got involved in endorsing of a presidential candidate. That's the USA Today been around for decades now and had never done a presidential endorsement before. The Sun Sentinel out of South Florida, the main newspaper in the Fort Lauderdale Broward County area, endorse Biden in twenty twenty, but has said that they will not endorse a presidential candidate in twenty twenty four, in line with a policy change that they made a couple of years ago. And then obviously the Washington Post, we talked about the Washington Post deciding against having any endorsement and Jeff Bezos, just like in the La Times situation. Jeff Bezos, the owner of the paper, was the one that stepped in and put the kibosh on this thing, and he said, we must be accurate. Speaking of newspapers, we must be accurate. We must be believed to be accurate. It is a bitter pill to swallow, but we are failing on the second requirement. The owner of the newspaper smells what the rock is cooking, which is people have questioned the credibility of our our main news sources that have existed for decades, and that's why they're turning to alternative media in many cases. And Jeff Bezos knows that. And what he's saying is, you guys think you're important being the editorial pages, editorial writers. You guys have an outsized idea of just how important you are to people's decisions when it comes to voting. Because he also says presidential endorsements do nothing to tip the scales of an election. No undecided voter in Pennsylvania is going to say I'm going with newspaper a's endorsement.
Speaker 1: It speaks to where we are at with the media. Back when let's say Ronald Reagan was running for president in nineteen eighty four. Let's say you didn't know where the papers were going to come down. I mean I didn't live. I mean I was alive, but I was a toddler. But when I was reading about this, you kind of didn't really know where they were Calm down. An endorsement was like, oh, okay, the San Francisco Cross and I don't know, the Chicago Tribune endorses Ronald Reagan. Oh okay, so the Tribune is going to endorse Reagan. Okay, you didn't know going into it. Of course they're going to endorse Reagan or whoever. It's not a shock anymore who the papers are going to endorse. And that shows you where we're at in terms of the biased papers.
Speaker 2: So if the newspapers by and large, especially those major city newspapers, are almost always going to endorse the Democratic candidate, but the polls show that were split almost fifty to fifty, something's wrong.
Speaker 1: In exactly and they're not getting that exactly. No more politics for a while, okay, but the big news of the day, it is a fist ball. It's ripped down the line. It is gone.
Speaker 4: A fifth consecutive World Series game with a Freddie Freeman Homer.
Speaker 2: On that was in the first inning last night in the Bronx.
Speaker 1: Tim Kate's host of Kate's and Sacks in the morning. You guys gonna make this a permanent thing. I wish I do too. I do not miss the other guy.
Speaker 4: By the way, when the government gets something right, just keep doing it right. Like this whole homelessness thing. They figured it out.
Speaker 1: Clearly. What the issue is not that everybody's on drugs and alcohol for no and let's just stick our ahead in the sand and not treat any of their freaking addictions.
Speaker 4: Now, my question for the parade that's coming to LA in the next couple of days when the Dodgers win this World Series, will they go on streets that are just filled with like RVs and homeless or they like divert the parade around those streets that don't have That would be pretty funny.
Speaker 1: They'll clean it up. I'm assuming it'll be a Dodger stadium something like that. Yeah, okay, so we are in parade planning mode right now. The Yankees have not materialized. Aaron Judge has not materialized, but you could argue that show hey a time, he is not materialized. Yet other guys are stepping up. You're not seeing that with the Yankees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everybody wants to say, where's Aaron Judge? How come Aaron Judge hasn't done anything? Well, how about we credit the Dodger pitching, Yeah, a little bit. Their starting pitchers era under two. Meanwhile, the era for the Yankee starting pitchers through three games is six. And that was supposed to be their strength. Our Dodger bullpen was supposed to be the strength against the Yankees bullpen. But now everything has been dominated by the Dodger starting pitching bullpen defense, which we're not talking a lot about. Last night, in the fourth, any Walker Bueller's sort of walking that tight rope a little bit. Maybe the Yankees get back into this game. Mookie Best makes a diving catching right That was incredible throw by ta Oscar at.
Speaker 1: Home to get a stands. My knees got skinned watching that play, like I felt the burn. I felt the turf burn on my legs when he made that catch. Walker Bueller was freaking filthy, stud filthy, what a stud? Last night? Five shutout Indians. I loved watching that three game threes.
Speaker 4: He's now pitched in eighteen twenty and now twenty twenty four, and his era is point five to zero in those three starts.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. They win last night.
Speaker 4: Great defense behind him, as we talked about, but he didn't give up a hit until the fourth inning. Had a high pitch count, a lot of three to two count, a lot of pitch counts that went deep in the first and second. Anybody got out of those with strikeouts and swinging and misses. I mean, what can you say a guy who's gonna be a free agent at the end of this World Series run? You know, I can't see him not wearing a Dodger uniform. But then again, he may cash out and go somewhere and be a big time pitcher somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Couldn't he cash out here? He could?
Speaker 4: But you know, the Dodgers have a lot of starting pitching coming off the injured list potentially next year. Clayton kershaw Tony Gonsolino, Tyler, Tyler Glass.
Speaker 1: Now there's four starters right there.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to your point with the three to two pitches, Clayate discipline is important and it's great and it matters, but the Yankees offense is just not there. So it's just a non factor. And where did it go?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the thing is if it felt like, okay, the first game they didn't show up. The second game, okay, well maybe they didn't show up. It almost felt like they were someone was gonna have a breakthrough last night.
Speaker 1: Right expecting that tonight, Like I'm still waiting. I feel like the fireworks are gonna happen tonight. Steve Sack says, it's a sleeping bear.
Speaker 4: You don't want to wake up that Yankees offense, in particular Aaron Judge, because if he gets a hit, he gets a home run, all of a sudden, the crowd's back into it, all of a sudden stands back in. Rizzo starts getting hits again, the bottom of the line up starts getting on base with the Yankees.
Speaker 1: You don't want to see that happen.
Speaker 2: Did you hear the story about Rizzo's pregame talk to everybody yesterday?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That before after Fat Joe's performance, it was it would have been before.
Speaker 2: It was that Anthony Rizzo did the same thing for the Cubs back in twenty sixteen. Player only meeting he gets up again. This is This was from one of the one of the it was either Tom Berducci, Ken Rosenthal, one of those guys, said Anthony Rizzo gets up and starts telling jokes with no clothes on.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, there's gotta be some weird naked that's.
Speaker 2: Going on, and that that powered the Cubs to a win in twenty sixteen or something like it was the weirdest.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad we're not James in here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've always heard it was Jason Hayward back in twenty sixteen that spearheaded the Cubs in that World Series, especially during the rain delay against the Guardians right year. Naked, not naked. It was just a speech that he gave as a veteran. But that's interesting. Yeah, it was a funny.
Speaker 1: You know, you think of baseball bods. He kind of has that baseball body. It's like, you know, no butt, just you know big. I never noticed his body.
Speaker 4: He doesn't look like Judge or Stanton. He looks the opposite of that. Well, those guys look like those guys look like defensive ends.
Speaker 1: They don't look like.
Speaker 4: You're a baseball guy. Gary, how slow was Stantony?
Speaker 2: He said, the first thing I said on the show today was he he was running like an oil tanker?
Speaker 1: Right, How was that happen? Are you not on your high horse just going as fast as you can? Is Anthony Rizzo got some stems? I mean he's got going full stead well, I mean, man, maybe he was going fun and that's all he's got. That's embarrassing if that's the case. I have a quick question about show Hay's injury with the shoulder. Is that something that potentially would need to be operated on.
Speaker 4: He was asked that last night and he said that they'll figure that out after the World Series is over. He didn't say yes, he didn't say no. It sounds like they're going to try to figure it out because if he does have surgery. Cody Bellinger had that same surgery after twenty seventeen. I made that the twenty twenty World Series in the Dome where he he hurt his shoulder, Yeah, high fighting with Kik. He actually had surgery that offseason a month later and it was a ten week comeback. And he wasn't right in twenty eighteen or twenty twenty one. Excuse me, he was never right. So you hope that if he doesn't have to have surgery, that's a good case. It is his non throwing shoulder, which is good, but still still you don't want him now having to rehab something else.
Speaker 1: Right, and you make it, and you know how it is, even if it's you're not throwing shoulder, You're still going to make adjustments to your pitch based on right, what's in your head and what pains. I think it affected him last night and is it bad hit my pitch? Yeah? It was.
Speaker 2: It was pretty great that Freddie Freeman didn't make him run around the bases, I mean with the home run because he was.
Speaker 1: Holding his jersey.
Speaker 2: That was the thing, is like he's holding his jersey so that to kind of take some pressure off of the shoulder while he's doing it.
Speaker 4: But he just gets to jog at that point. You guys think they close it out tonight? Is this a sweep tonight?
Speaker 1: Four games?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yes, we got a parade to get ready for y you guys aren't into it parades.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not a big parade person. You guys want to be part of the coverage on I do want to be part of the coverage. I'll listen to the coverage. Can I have a roll?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? I'd be fantastic. Have you walk along one of the buses or something. No, you want to be in the bus.
Speaker 1: I want to be on the air. Oh calling the parade?
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, Thanks Tim, Thanks guys, you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.