Speaker 1: We're Tarvi Lorenzo and this is the Bitter Kitten Movie Club. Hellicitten's welcome back to another edition of the BKMC, which is a supplemental PSO podcast that we do every week, although we didn't do our regular PSO podcasts this week, but it'll be back next week. This week, we are taking a look at the at Vim Vendor, director Vim Vendor's art house classic from nineteen eighty seven, Wings of Desire, and typical of all of our BKMC pods, it'll be attached to a review of the film with trivia and videos and pictures and stuff like that. It's just a discussion followed up movie club because we wanted to follow the lines of a book club where we all agree to watch the same thing and then we all talk about it. I did not have this film on my initial list for the BKMC, but that is because I did not realize that it was available on hbox. And I'm going to come right out and say it's in my top three. It might even be my number one of all time.
Speaker 2: It is that's number one, that's your number one movie.
Speaker 1: I think it is my number one movie. And what's interesting to me about it is, and I want to unpack a little bit of that when we talk about this Is. I had not seen it for many, many years, and that was partially deliberate. We're going to dive into the themes on all of this, but I just want to say that this film I saw as a very young film student, and I did not understand the world because I was a student, and it rewired my brain. And as such, I did not want to revisit this film too often. I wanted it to sit in perfection in my memory and I have seen it many times over the years. But I saw it last month and it was honestly the first time I had seen it in over ten years, probably closer to twenty. And I remember I said to Lorenzo, tears in my eyes. I'm like, it's still beautiful. It's still And the thing is, you don't want these things to disappoint you when you come back to them months later in your life. And it didn't. But I will say this, I saw the movie last month, you know, and I was watching it casually and then I decided to put it on the on the roster for the BKAMC. So then I watched it again, and then I watched it a third time. So I watched it three times in one month, when I had gone probably twenty years without watching it. And when I was watching it with you last night, I thought, you know what, I'm not watching this again for a while. Because what happens when you watch a film obsessively and this this comes down to why I didn't want to watch it too much. When you watch anything obsessively, it starts becoming less art to you and starts becoming more something that you can recite, something that you can see every flaw, every edit, every musical cue before it happens, and it becomes something else in your mind.
Speaker 2: And I don't think that's the intent of a director, you know, like the two, it depends in a point, I mean, in a certain way. I think. I think it's like looking. I mean, you can go back to Mona Lisa, you know, to see the paint a painting many many, many times, but it doesn't have the same impression, you know, and I think movies is the same. I mean, the first time you watch a movie, you have a reaction, right, and then subsequently, subsequently you have a different reaction where you watch it again and again and again it changes in your mind.
Speaker 1: And that is not a movie I want to change in my mind or in my heart. It means that much to me. If you've listened to the pop style of Manifest before, you might remember me talking about Neil Game and Sandman. And I was thinking a lot about it when I was rewatching this movie, because that was another piece of art that rewired my brain. And they really actually do have a lot in common. In fact, I'm fairly certain Gayman said that he was partially inspired by the among many other things, he was partially inspired by this film, like the Sandman, Wings a Desire is a story that and this sounds so trite, but it is a story about life, about the totality of life from childhood to death, from you know, all the pain and stupidity that comes in between it. And this starts for love. This starts for love and meaning in your life. So and Sandman is very much like that. Both of them occur on a rather like Goth scale. I mean, Wings a Desire is not a Goth movie, but it can easily be adopted by Goths, and it unpacks spirituality and the you know, the inner life, and that to me when I say it rewired my brain. The scenes of the angels in that library.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Yes, it makes me.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get choked up thinking about it. The idea that let's talk about the premise of the film first, although if you're listening, I'm assuming that you've watched it, and if you haven't, shame on you turn this off right now and go watch it. It is a spectacular film. It is not a perfect film. It's very much an art house film. It's very much a German art house film.
Speaker 2: Of the eighties, very much of the time.
Speaker 1: Yet it which means you may run into things that seem like cliches and stereotypes to you, but they were fresh at the time. And there are times when I think the film drags where he vendors takes too long showing his girlfriend doing a trapez act, or showing Nick Caves singing two whole songs on film because he just wants to unfold. So it's not a perfect film, right, But in terms of its themes and it's it's perspective, I think that is what makes it to me in many ways. It's not a perfect film technically, but it is a perfect film. Emotionally right.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's just go back here a little bit. And on I think it was the first date something like that.
Speaker 1: It was our first date.
Speaker 2: I was talking about how much I loved international movies for movies, and then you mentioned this movie.
Speaker 1: And on our first date, I said this was my favorite movie.
Speaker 2: Right, So I still remember that and you were so excited about it, and it is one of It's a great movie. I like m. Vanders very much, and he's a special director to me at least. First of all, he loves Peinabalchit, which tells you right there that Heino the Peinabusch is a choreographer ballet, German theater, choreographer German. Uh, and he loved her work and he ended up directing a documentary about her.
Speaker 1: Lorenzo told me he loved Peenabouche on our first date, just so you know, and then dragged me to.
Speaker 2: Say, I worship ping A Belus very very much. She has a very different approach to dance. Anyway, She's another story. But when I found out he loved her, I was like, Okay, this man is a special And at the same time I have to mention that I I wanted to learn German and I had no money, so I went to the Good Institute and I said, I want to learn. Institute is like a school where you learn German. But it's more than a school. It's it's pretty much like a cultural cultural center where they promote German history, culture, everything, music, where it's everywhere. Where was the one you went to, it was actually in Europe. Uh. So I I wanted to study German, had no money, so I walked up to the front desk and I said, I have no money. I want to start German. What can I do? So they said, well, you can work here, volunteer here, working at the library or whatever, and then you know, you have your lessons for free. So that's what I did. But they didn't need anybody at the library. They needed someone at the film Attech, which is the film archive. This guy, crazy guy coming back from German Germany. He was in charge of the department and everything was a mess, so he needed someone to organize the movies, do everything. So that's how I became across this immense library of German movies and culture, and that's how I discover his work. And I remember at the time, you have I was in the center the entire time, and it was so German to be there. Everything was very German. And so when I watched the movie Last Night with You, everything came back to me, like the whole German environment vibe.
Speaker 1: Then everything about it, it just came back to me.
Speaker 2: The history of the people, the wall, the Berlin Wall, everything, everything just just came, you know, immediately in my head. So I think the movie is very very German to me, the movies very so German, very very very very of the time. And at the same time, the movie is is universal. I think the at least a message in a way.
Speaker 1: I think it is, yes, because it is a film about life, and it is partially a film about the pursuit of love, and it's also partially a film about the approach of death. And so yes, those are universal themes, but they are are told within a very specific setting with very specific people, and to me, that is part of the power of the film is you know, they did do an American remake of this called City of Angels and in Los Angeles with Nicolas Cage and Magryan had a very different vibe to it. It was more of a not a comedy. It was more of a romance, and it was less of a it was less about the larger themes that this film was about. But for me, it's settled the question can you make Wings of Desire in another city, And no, you can't. You can make a similar story. But Wings of Desire is about all of these larger universal things, while at the same time it is very much about the city of Berlin. And I should say that the title, the German title is something like Heaven over Berlin or something like that, the Sky over Berlin. It's not called Wings of Desire, so it is you're looking it up right now, yeah, because it's like him a uber Berlin or something like that. So it's very much Yes. Is it the sky over Sky or Heaven over Berlin? It could be either one, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much like it's heaven or Sky, can be both.
Speaker 1: And part of the part of the genesis of this was that of Ven Vendors had been living in America for several years. He had received a lot of critical acclaim a few years before this for his film Paris, Texas, and he wanted to go back to his favorite city his I guess it's his home city, Berlin, and he wanted to shoot a movie there, and when he got to Berlin, he wandered around the city looking for inspiration, and that's when he noticed that Berlin has all of these they're actually most of them aren't angels. They're mostly wing victories statues, that sort of thing. The most famous shot in the film is him on top of a wing victory statue in Berlin. But it's you know, it's pretty much substitutes, says an angel. And that's where he got the idea of angels looking down over the city of Berlin. And then he went and he he approached a German poet named Peter Hanky.
Speaker 2: Who Australian act.
Speaker 1: Oh, Australia, Austrian, Austrian, I'm sorry, name is Austrian. Austrian. Sorry, Austrian poet named Peter Hanky who did not. He's listed as a co writer on the film, but my understanding is that he he sort of guided vendors on the on certain scenes. He wrote the poem that anchors the whole films, such as the Song of Childhood, Song of child which I was crying as soon as I heard it.
Speaker 2: That is beautiful anyway, the.
Speaker 1: Line about you know when the child was a child. First off, let's unpack that when the child was a child is a sentence that implies that you never actually stop being a child, because it doesn't say when the man was a child or when the woman was a child. It's when the child was a child. And that, to me is the because the person who is reciting that poem is an angel, so from his perspective, people are never not children to him, right, They're just children at different stages of their lives, and which again kind of a beautiful, if a little condescending, but still kind of a beautiful perspective to have. And the line is when a child was a child, he sat cross legging and got up running And I'm like, oh, or he swung his arms while he walked, or he didn't make faces when you took a picture of it. I mean, I'm not quoting it exactly, but my point is.
Speaker 2: Well, you remember the line I die? I do like when they when the poem says when the child was a child, he did not know that he was a child, And that's the whole sense of it, you know, it's just like, yeah, when you're a kid, you don't.
Speaker 1: You don't know anything. You know, and the world is so perfect to you and so exciting to you, and you you get up running, you know that sort of thing. There's such a poignancy to that because as soon as you hear those lines, and like I said, I was a young man when I read when I first saw this film, but even as a young man, I felt the weight of time when those lines like yeah, I don't get up swinging my arms, you know, I don't get up running from across like it's.
Speaker 2: Such a great understanding of what a child is like and what we become, you know, when.
Speaker 1: What happens to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Because there's a line where it says, when the child was a child, apples and bread were enough for him, and that is that says so that that says so much of what we become as an adult.
Speaker 1: Such a beautiful poem.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I don't speak German, but I honestly think it's much. But it's beautiful, beautiful in German.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, beautiful, Especially the first line is just beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I told you I was last week. I wasn't going to get through this without crying because this film, Oh it means so much to be Okay, the scene in the library, I wanted to come back to that. And I was a film student when I saw this, so libraries were very much part of my life. I lived in them, like a lot of college students. And the idea that what I love about the scenes in that in that library is that it is teeming with angels. You go there and it is loaded with angels, right, and the implication, but bear in mind, the film never takes you inside a church. It never shows you anything religious. I never thought of that, never shows you anything religious, And I just loved the implication there that this is religion. But the pursuit of knowledge, people trying to expand their own minds and just swarming with angels while they're doing that.
Speaker 2: Oh, be so touched by the library is my favorite scene. I agree exactly because of that, because that was the time when that was the center of knowledge. Yeah, it wasn't computers, Yeah, I mean now we don't even have to search anymore. We just ask.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, we ask our phone, We ask our phones.
Speaker 2: I mean, but you know, I remember having to go to a library with a notepad and have to write everything down.
Speaker 1: I mean, people still do researchers say it's not the same the same.
Speaker 2: I mean that was the place the books were the only source of information.
Speaker 1: And I'm just I'm sorry, go ahead, no.
Speaker 2: And and that scene is so beautiful. First of all, the library, it's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: It is and it still looks like that. I looked up all the locations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the library is beautiful. I can't, you know, I can. I can see why he chose that location because he's absolutely and the thought, the idea that this is the place where everyone is quiet, but at the same their minds are just running.
Speaker 1: This place is holy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just amazing to think that everybody there is thinking. It's their minds are running, but everyone is silent, right, and the angels are there to listen to them. So it's just it's amazing.
Speaker 1: To bear witness to them. And the scenes where an angel is pressing his head against another person's head, I'm gonna get cry again.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna be able to get through the.
Speaker 1: If you've ever had intrusive thoughts, are racing thoughts or that sort of thing, those scenes are so soothing. Yes, that's what I want to get at, is that I love the scene in the library, because it elevates the pursuit of knowledge to something that is holy, while at the same time acknowledging that the mind can be a raging sea. And it just it pays attention to both of these aspects. And I don't even know how much of this was articulated by Vendors or his co writer, whether they really were looking at that scene and going and now we're going to talk about the human mind. Oh sorry, there's a phone ringing. Lorenzo's going to go turn that off while I just keep talking, talk, talking. But one of the things I wanted to say is that I think the film does a beautiful job of elevating, elevating the inner life, that what goes on inside your mind is almost or equally as important as what you do when you're moving through the world. And as someone who spends a lot of time inside his head, that is, like I said, soothing and even a little revelatory. Why don't we take a short break and when we and we'll come back and unpack some further st up, Okay, we are back and we're talking Wings of Desire, And one of the things I now I want to unpack, and I promise. Now, I can't promise that I won't cry throughout the rest of it, but I don't think I will know because I think we unpacked most of the emotional stuff, although I will get to her speech in a bit. Okay. So one of the things that I find so so, so incredibly poignant about this film is that it's as we are as far away from the shooting of this film as those people were from World War two, right, And the film it is a film about how do I put this? And I actually said this before we turned on the mics, and I should have written it down thematically. The film is a film about a city that has lost and and a Berlin that is gone. The scenes of the old man played by Kurt Boys wandering through what used to be the pots Damar plots and was no man's land at that point, bemoaning what used to be there, the coffee shops that he used to go to and that sort of thing. And then you know, Peter Fok, who we haven't even gotten into, is they're shooting a movie and it's all Nazis, and it's all you know, unpacking that history there. And at certain times in the film they start using archival footage of Berlin, you know, when it was all bombed out, bodies in the street, right.
Speaker 2: And if you know a little bit about Berlin, the movie was shot in the eighties, and that's what Berlin looked like in the eighties.
Speaker 1: That was what I love about it.
Speaker 2: It looked like shit.
Speaker 1: It is such a snapshot at that.
Speaker 2: Time, kind of like New York, you know, sort of like in the eighties. Yeah, I mean, like like completely not I wouldn't say run down, but thing are like.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, they're right next to Soviet Russia. The city has been has been cut in half, and it never fully recovered from the war. This is only this is less than forty years after the end of the war, and it's interesting to.
Speaker 2: See the walls and all that, and knowing that the graffiti, yeah that a few years later, you know, it's all all come down. Yeah, it's fascinating. And I also think, yeah, I mean that's the other point that it really gets me when I watched the movie is the whole idea that you have to let things go, that you know things are not going to be the same, right, You're not going to experience things the way you experienced them before. I love the line about like you know you missed the ink when you read newspapers, getting hands, you know, dirty with the newspaper, inc.
Speaker 1: Stuff like don't do that anymore.
Speaker 2: Not really if I mentioned that to a young person, that wouldn't even know what I'm talking about, right, So so yeah, this goes back to the point about the library and about this is a pre computer era.
Speaker 1: This is literally the height of the Cold War. Watch it's more the end of the Cold War, and it's a film about a city that no longer exists. People wandering through this city trying to find snapshots of when of the old Berlin, and now forty years later watching the film, that city doesn't exist anymore. I was shocked the first time I looked up the pots Dahmer plots because to me, for years, I hadn't been to Berlin. To me, if I heard the word the phrase pots Dahmer plots, it's that old man wandering around that you go look at it now and it is this stunning city center. Because of course the walls came down, Germany reunited, And that's my point. The Berlin that is showing the nineteen eighty seven Berlin is as gone as the nineteen forty five Berlin that they're all wandering around talking about. And there is a certain poignancy in that, Like all the little kids at that circus are middle aged. Now you know that young man who his parents were worrying about whether he was ever going to learn anything but rock music. He's probably a grandfather now. The old man is dead. Anybody over like forty five in this movie is probably dead. All the lead actors are dead, which is sad.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting, and of course they run so fast every line in their heads and every characters or every person's head, but if you stop and listen to them, they're so I love the little kid by himself watching watching the three kids play, and he said that must be nice to have.
Speaker 1: To have three Ah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: It's so observational. It's so good about getting inside the heads of every different kind of person. I also want to highlight the scene of the two angels and the convertible trading notes.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so sweet because it's just let's trade notes of interesting things we saw people do today, And it's all about the unpredictability of humanity, the messiness of humanity and the fact that these two beings, and I do want to call out Bruno gonz and Otto Sander they're so good in this because I don't want to overstate this, but I think in the beginning of the film, in the black and white sequences, I think those two men are absolutely beautiful on camera. And I do not mean that in a sexual or romantic way. They're more like statuary, right, They just the way the cinematographer's name is Ala Khan, Henri Ali Khan, and the circus is named after him. He is a famous, famous cinematographer, the way he shot them, right. And I don't think there's a hint of deliberate homo eroticism in the film, but there is nonetheless an inadvertent homo eroticism because those two men are treated as companions, and in all of their scenes together, they come across like companions and you constantly see them doing things like, you know, touching their forehead to another man and that sort of thing. Where again, as a young man at a time when you know there was not a lot of queer imagery on in films, that actually hit me very very hard at the time, and I just love that scene in the convertible because they're both so gently amused by the people that they're talking about. There's so much affection in the angels, and I think that's what that's why it appeals to me so much. I think just I would when I say this film rewired my brain. What I mean is, I think I have spent the thirty plus years since I have seen this film wandering through the world assuming that there was some angel touching my forehead and soothing my thoughts or whatever, because that's what I wanted to believe. What else I well, we haven't talked about Peter Falk yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk about that, which which is quite interesting actually, that introduction. But I guess he wants to make the point of someone coming back and making a movie about it, you know, like.
Speaker 1: I think he wanted to put Nazis in the film. I really wanted to do it in a way that allowed him a sort of rye commentary. There is and I think it's very very I don't know only a German filmmaker would do this. There's a scene where Cassiel the Otto Sander Angel is on the film set and he's watching all of these actors in Nazi uniforms unwrapping candy because someone gave them candy, and he starts laughing, and there is something absurd about that, absurd about all these Nazis in the middle of Berlin in nineteen eighty seven eating hard candy.
Speaker 2: And isn't the kara supposed to be Jewish? I guess where his grandmother was Jewish?
Speaker 1: So Peter fowx yeah, something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because I didn't actually get the reference to the grandmother until I watched it last night. And it contradicts the story, right, because the story is that Peter Fowk himself is an angel, so he wouldn't have had a grandmother.
Speaker 2: What about that? I was like, if he was an angel, like because he said I've been there something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think the story contradicts itself. And that's something else I want to point out is that a lot of this film was improvised. They did not have the story written out, just to give you an idea of how far they were willing to take things while they were shooting it. One of the deleted scenes is this massive pie fight between the two angels where they are little it's cakes, actually throwing cakes at each other. That doesn't belong in this story at all. They were just shooting shit and trying to form something out of it. Afterwards, I read that most of Peter Fawk's voiceover was recorded in Los Angeles months later, with Vim Benders on the phone telling him what to say. Oh wow, And I wondered about that. I wonder if the voices that you're hearing are even the same actors as the ones you're seeing on screen, Like when you're inside, that could be anybody, and they could have written those lines much much later. And the film does have that sort of shaggy, messy quality to it. But again, I think it works in service to the film because going back to my point about Otto, Cnder and Brune looking beautiful in the black and white scenes. The I think this is funny in a sort of black humor sort of way, but also poignant is that the minute damiel Otto Bruno Ganza's character turns human, he is suddenly much less attractive on film, and that is all very deliberate. The camera makes sure to show you his discolored teeth and his bald spot. They put him in the ugliest fucking coat you could ever like the dorkiest clothes you could. No, I'm sure in nineteen eighty seven that looked very stylish. But he went from that classic black overcoat with the little Japanese warrior ponytailed, then the slicked back hair and the totally impassive face to this sort of dorky guy in an eighties jacket with a bald spot and his hair's too long. And I loved that because the implication there is humanity is messy. You're you're just gonna be messy right from jump and and it's actually a joy to watch him in those scenes. He is so unleashed in those scenes. What else do you have? Anything? I wanted to get into her, but before we do.
Speaker 2: Before we get to her, I think. I still think that the movie sends a beautiful message that you never know what someone is going through or what they're thinking, of course, and I think that's a great message. My mom said that to me, and it's nothing new. People say that all the time, but you know, sometimes you listen, you know, from somebody, and it clicked. That's when my mom said that to me once, and it clicked. This whole idea that you don't know what people are going through that you need to be a little more patient and a little more understanding. And that changed my mind when she said that, and I thought about it, and then then you watch a movie like that and you see it. You see it right there, people going through stuff, people thinking about a lot of things that you don't know, and you're sitting right next to them.
Speaker 1: The scene of the man on the bridge who's starrying, yessolutely beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's I weep through that scene. It's beautiful. It's it's beautiful. It's it's great that it's black and white. I mean again, another movie that goes from black and white to color, and sometimes you don't even notice when they do.
Speaker 1: I think, I'm sure, but I think the color scenes are so vibrant that when they come in, my eyes are like, you know, it's like a present.
Speaker 2: I think towards the end, when he became human, I think it's all.
Speaker 1: The graffiti on those walls. Yeah, but gorgeous.
Speaker 2: But when she goes from black and white to color, I thought it.
Speaker 1: Was in her little trailer.
Speaker 2: I actually love that. It's beautiful about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before we do, I do real quick. Nick Cave comes in at the end and gives us great rockstar performance and so young, and it's again so eighties is you just could not find a better snatchhot I mean, everyone thinks the eighties was like Madonna and Aquinette and all that other stuff, and it is, it was, but it was also people standing around in burned out the ballrooms listening to bands and nodding. There I means the bar next to it, yeah, I mean yeah, that's a famous hotel in Berlin and it was right on the edge of no man's land and they actually had to tear it down, which.
Speaker 2: You said, all right.
Speaker 1: So del Mont who is the treppe'z artist named Marion. She was also at the time Ben Benders's girlfriend, and I think that is so incredibly obvious in so many of her scenes, because it's like, Okay, this was shot by someone who's in love with her, and it works, of course, because the angel is in love with her. So I love how rough she is. And I don't mean that in a condescending way. Apparently she was a trained actress. I don't think she was, you know, I don't think her boyfriend just gave her apart. But there again, it goes down to that sort of shaggy quality of the film is that none of her line deliveries are flawless. Nothing that she does, there's a certain lived in quality to it. Apparently she learned all the routines. Well she would have had to there now shot.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was gonna ask wow, because she does a good job.
Speaker 1: And that's why that. I mean, those scenes probably go on just a little bit too long, but again that's life you're I mean, the whole point of the film is that you know, life is messy, Life goes on. Sometimes you have to sit through a nick Cave song or a trap eas act. When I saw this film as a young man, I couldn't wait for those two characters to meet up. It's so the whole film, the whole the tension in the film is when are they going to meet up? What's going to happen when they meet up? And the film actually drags it out, so they're both walking the streets of Berlin at night and it's like, well, when are they going to encounter each other? And then the moment happens, and I can remember being a film student and being just what like just weirded out and disappointed it and even though I loved the film, but Vendors doesn't have them rush into each other's arms. And not only that, but she pushes him away before he tries to, you know, before he can even kiss her, and gives this long ass speech. Now again, I've said this earlier in the pod. You could take a less charitable view of this film and be like, all right, well, it's nothing about art house cliches. You know, people are giving these long speeches about love and nobody's acting like a real person. But I don't think, how do I say this. I don't think that scene is meant to be realistic at all. And I'm not even sure you're supposed to read it as something that actually happened the way it happened. Right, These are her thoughts, These are every and I do think that one of the great things about the film is that when it gets inside people's heads. I don't know what it sounds like in your head, but I'm like, yeah, that's what it's sounds like in my head, of course. I mean, your thoughts are just ricketing back, ricochetting back and forth. You're jumping from thing to thing, and I do feel like that speech she gives is her thoughts becoming verbalized.
Speaker 2: That's how I read it. I read it as as the scene fruse in a way, and it's.
Speaker 1: Just her, just her talking, although he's listening to her. And what I loved in that's that is a scene that actually rewired my brain too, because again, when I was young and I saw this film, I had never been in love, and I didn't know what love was. I wondered why she was saying some of the things that she was saying, and some of them sound that she talks. She talks about lonesomeness and and and being lonesome with another person. She talks about how the two of them are essentially everybody in love in this moment. We represent everybody on the precipice, right, I'm part of what I got from that speech. I do think you could get a lot of I think it's something that everybody could walk away with a different interpretation. But what I came away from with that from that speech was love, finding real love in your life, real true romantic love if you've been looking for it, because not everybody needs romantic love. And I think the film makes it very very clear that these two characters were searching, They really were searching for that person. And she finally finds the person, and her her reaction is to sort of mourn what she's giving up, right, And I actually found that such a mature and fascinating way to look at love, and I do think it has informed my view of love over the years. Is that when you are yearning for it, you are one kind of person, right, And then when you find it, who are you going to be? And what do you do with the person that you want if you are no longer yearning and your whole life was about yearning? Who are you now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And there's a certain fear in that. There's a certain sadness in that. And as she says, and it always makes me cry when she says it, I'm ready, right, I'm ready to give up the person that I was. I'm ready to you know, become another person under this, you know, whatever this is.
Speaker 2: It's scary, and I think it connects with the with the with the movie as a whole, not just you know, finding someone or finding love and having to give up your old, you know, previous life, less for itself, prove yourself. I mean that goes and the movie makes a point that that can go to anything like not just a person, but but your life. Something stuff you had in your life that you don't have anymore, right, you know, you move to a different country, you move to you know, I don't know, a job, whatever things you used to do, like.
Speaker 1: You know, Well, I don't think it's a coincidence that some of the people that we check in on there's people moving in to apartments and canting walls. There's someone whose mother died and he has to get rid of her effects. It's about that. It's about the way you moved through life and make changes along the way, and you have.
Speaker 2: To let that go. To let that go, you don't have to forget it. You don't have to, you know, pretend that it never existed, right, but but you have to let it go and move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe we're done. I think there's a lot in today's review, so please go and check that out at the site, including some supplemental material. I've included the Song of Childhood poem and the Nick Cave performance and stuff like that. But it's still in my Yeah, it's my number one. It's a beautiful it's my number one.
Speaker 2: I just read here that she practiced for eight weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was she tragically died very young. I know they all more time. She died at like forty five heart attack.
Speaker 2: At the age of forty five. She also she made another movie with him, which is she did which it's it's a movie that I like very much. It's called Until the End of the World.
Speaker 1: But anyway, and there is a sequel to this film, yes, yes, which I have never seen, and I don't know. I have no fire. I never had a desire to see. Interesting and I've read what it's about and I'm like, yeah, no, I don't want to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this film sits perfectly. It doesn't need to be reinterpreted or updated or anything. It is so very of its time, very also so universal in what it's saying about life and love and death and just the process of living, the messiness of living.
Speaker 2: All right, I think that's it right if you know anything about Berlin, And like I said in the eighties, it's in every frame of the movie.
Speaker 1: It really really is. And I have never been to Berlin. And I told him last night, I was like, We're going to Berlin because I just want to see some of these places, even though I know they're not there anymore, or they don't look like that anymore.
Speaker 2: You need to see them.
Speaker 1: The park where they shot the circus, where they're all packing up and everything, it's still there. It's still it's a city park. It's all grass now instead of mud. And they have a huge mural of an elephant on the back wall, which I just I don't know if that's related to it, but it has to be. I mean, come on, all right. We will be back next week with you know what, I don't even know I think we're doing. My name is Dolomite. I think that's the next one on the schedule, and we will be back on hopefully on Monday with a PSO General PSO podcast. So until then, take care of you. So let me mean it.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye