Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: The audio commentary. It's a dying art form, but here at one track, mind I your wonky at Affable host Brian Luis Rodriguez analyze film through the prism of these embryonic forms of podcasting, one audio commentary at a time. Masterpieces, crapster pieces, live action, animation, cult classics, films literally no one has ever heard of. No track is too small, and no track is too big. Join me and my guests from the entertainment world as we keep these features alive every other Tuesday. Hey, who else is going to discuss Bill and Ted's bogus Journey one week and Citizen Kane the next us that's who Sure, you have to put up with my voice, but there's a certain give and take in this industry. That's one track mine, part of the Someone's Favorite Productions family and available wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Hello there, and welcome back.
Speaker 4: What is this place? Is connected? Disconnected?
Speaker 5: Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to feel disconnected.
Speaker 6: Break the number that has been disconnected.
Speaker 3: Hey, y'all, welcome to another live Thursday Night. I'm just stoked to be back home with decent internet so that these are not awful for you, And I'm also stoked for another first time guests. Been doing a lot of those lately, Mister Scott Saslow, Welcome, sir.
Speaker 4: I'm great to finally be here.
Speaker 3: You are getting to be quite prolific in the physical media scene. Yet you can be us monest. Come on. First off, you are a graphic designer. Can you name ten or eighty seven of the titles that you've worked on recently?
Speaker 6: Recently and again mostly it's a packaging layout, booklet design. Actually, why don't we just pull up just wrapped Mortal Kombat, Bullet in the Head, Blue Thunder, the Dollars Trilogy Innerspace, which we'll talk about later, The Killer Hard Boiled Spaceball's Excalibur Westworld. That's just for Arrow, for fun City, fabulous stains. They just announced it the other day. I designed the box art for The Hills Have Eyes for Karlada Films.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: I don't do artwork that often. My first Arrow job was the film noir set that they did, you know, Salt Baths style they wanted. That's what they wanted, and they let me do you know, volumes two and three five years later. But it's fun.
Speaker 6: I Hi, I enjoy doing it, you know, that's for sure, and I'm working on some cool stuff as we speak.
Speaker 3: You are a to put it modestly in my words for you, you are a quite incredible graphic designer. The best thing that I appreciate out of your camp is layout design, and that is something that a lot of people don't even think about the differences of They mostly just think of the front cover art. How'd you get into layout design because that's such a very different sort of skill.
Speaker 6: I didn't get into its specific So I have a film degree actually from years ago. I went to a school in Orlando called Full Sale. You know, wanted to direct like everyone else, and you know, of realized didn't have the temperament for it. That ship sailed. Spent most of my twenties just doing odd jobs and temp work. I ended up going back to school at thirty, thank you very much. Went back to school at thirty for graphic design, and in my last semester that's when it kind of hit me obvious in retrospect, like I could combine both interests, the movies and the graphic design. And my last semester I actually did a couple of my own Blu rays. I came up with my own boutique label. I called it Heliotrope Films, and I did Kronenberg's Crash and the Parallax View. This was obviously after the Criteria Laser disc of Crash, but before the Criterion Blu ray of Parallax. But I came up with my own extras, did booklets, discard you know, company.
Speaker 4: Logo, everything, and.
Speaker 6: You know, moved back to LA entered at one of the big tent not temp agencies, one of the big ad agencies doing movie posters. That ended January twenty seventeen, and I've been freelancing ever since. One of my emails got into Arrow and they liked what I had done with this daily poster project where I was doing one poster a day for a year. And I mean my style such as it is, you know, pretty minimalist. When you study graphic design or really anything, you kind of you know, you see the designers, it's like, okay, I can't do what Drew Strewsen does or Peek or any of those guys, but I could kind of do what these folks do. And you start learning about you know, minimalism and the Swiss style, and you know, you find designers like Brandon Schaeffer and Sam Smith who now I actually can call collaborators and they're super talented, and so it's like, Okay, maybe I can't sit at this table, but there's room for me at this table.
Speaker 4: And you know, I did a handful of things for Arrow.
Speaker 6: This is when they still had the Academy line where my sort of minimalist style kind of worked for that. But it was ironically around the start of COVID early twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Arrow brought me.
Speaker 6: In to do the two hundred page book for the game, and after that it was, you know, it's been NonStop ever since. I've done a few art things, you know, for Carl Outa films. I do some slipcovers for fun City. You know, haven't done any art for Arrow lately. But when it comes to the booklets and text and you know, getting creative with that and trying to work within the limitations, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I enjoy it. Every project is different.
Speaker 6: I'm always looking to see in the artwork, you know, what can I use elsewhere?
Speaker 4: So everything is of a piece and looks good.
Speaker 6: You don't want one component, you know, looking different from the rest, or something that doesn't fit.
Speaker 4: I know this is a long answer.
Speaker 3: But oh this is exactly what people want to hear.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So as far as that aspect of graphic design, you know, kind of fell into it. If I wasn't doing that, I could just as easily be doing something else. But no, it's I enjoy it. And I'm sure we'll talk ab more releases, you know, as we go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we will. But one thing I did want to add this obviously is not in the works for right now or anything like that, and I'm not naming titles, but I really would only trust maybe two people with layout design right now in the way that I've got it. And so Scott, I can absolutely confirm will be hired for Antenna stuff in the near future. Funny story that I can't say much about, but Scott had been kind of hired for one project for Antenna and that didn't work out, not because of Scott, but because the movie fell through. I was so excited for that because you have such a unique attention to bringing in the pop culture aspects of an era or an industry or something like that. Where where does the passion for that come through? Because for those that have not seen it, like all of the stuff that you have done for Fun City is kind of the best example of that. You you really grab a hold of a style or a time period and everything exactly align with what you you're envisioning.
Speaker 6: It's I mean, I've always had this attention to detail. Yes, I know things can slip through sometimes. I still have nightmares about typos on Maul Rats. But you know, with fun City, that all comes from my producer, Jonathan Hertzberg, you know, well, and it's almost like no two releases are the same. There's some that are similar. But you know, I remember working on Paradise and he wanted the booklet to look like the old like TV guide, but specifically like the old cable channel guides in the early eighties anyone who grew up in La Z channel. So he wanted it to look like that, and he sent me a bunch of reference material and it's kind of a sadistic you know, I accept the challenge, you know kind of thing, but also matching matching things textures and fonts and you know, we're God, we're only nine minutes in. We're talking about fonts already. But it actually the one thing with Paradise, I fooled him. On the back of the Paradise booklet is an ad for It's an advertisement for the soundtrack or the Phoebe Kate single.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 6: And I sent that to him and he wrote back, oh my god, where'd you get that? It's like I made it. But he wanted that booklet to look like an old you know, channel guide, and so in the booklet those are real listings from whatever issue I had to work with, but he wanted Fun City titles mixed in. So then it was a matter of trying to match the existing font, painting out you know movies, making sure everything fit, you know, degrading the text so it looked like scanned text from a forty year old paper, you know, aging certain things.
Speaker 4: And that one, yeah, Paradise. What was the other one?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: We were doing one usually with Fun City. I'm working on a couple at the same time, Paradise and Heavenly Bodies, which actually got to see on the big screen in Toronto with Tom rawlstdays. I went to artist and yeah, just embracing that retro eighties style.
Speaker 4: And I'm very big on authenticity.
Speaker 6: One of my pet peeves is when this is a first world problem, believe me, when older films are repackaged but given sort of a modern flare, whether it's a font or color whatever, and you know, the anachronistic you know, part of that I don't like. So I'm trying to, okay, what fonts were used in the eighties, what technology was used in the eighties to make this stuff?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: Again, just so everything is of a piece and you could sort of, you know, if you lay everything out, everything fits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a question from Paul. Paul wants to know what software is do you use.
Speaker 6: Primarily Photoshop and design illustrator when I need it?
Speaker 4: But yeah, so much of the work is on in design.
Speaker 6: And when I was as a student again I went back to school at thirty, you know, it's like half the class we're self taught in photoshop and we're intimidated by illustrator. Half the class we're self taught and illustrator and intimidated by photoshop. Yeah, but yeah, photoshop in design mainly, and I do pay for the Creative Cloud subscription. We won't get into any of that Adobe or whatever, but you know, it's a nice write off this time of year, that's.
Speaker 3: For sure, Ain't that the truth? Tonight, after announcements, we're gonna be talking about five of our favorite audio commentaries. So if you want to stay around for that after the announcements, please do. We would love to hear some thoughts on that as we go in. We're going to talk about travel in just a few minutes, but let's go into some of our normal segments. I think you've got some criterions to show us. Was just the Criterion sale. Let's going to pickups. What have you got recently, Scott, Oh I have?
Speaker 4: I don't have, Oh I have.
Speaker 7: Let's see.
Speaker 4: I literally just happened to have him right here.
Speaker 6: A few of them anyway, Birth, which I have not seen in a long time. So this one's going to be an interesting one to revisit. Oh, thank you very much. Yeah, this one's going to be an interesting one to revisit. I haven't seen it in years. It is the movie that put the composer Alexander Dasplat on the map for me, because the music in this movie is beautiful. Yeah, and it's going to be a fun one too well, to the extent that this movie is fun, which it's not an interesting experience. And it was shot by the late DP Harris Sivitis, who also shot the game for Fincher. And when we were real quick, when we were doing the booklet, the booklet, the book for the game, there's a section with sort of camera plot, you know, drawings of his And it was at the start of COVID. The BFI library was closed, the Academy library was closed, and it's like, what are we going to do? But some random Twitter account had just posted them. It's like found them. Next Criterion pickup in my top ten. Nice it literally actually just finished watching it before this great movie. I'm certainly not the first to point out like this. It could have been made today, you know. But oh I'm a big fan of the and drama strained too, but big network fan and as great as you know. The big I'm mad as hell scene is the corporate cosmology speech with net Baty is again it all works today, but just the way it's filmed and staged, just with the light shining on him. Love it and I had five pickups. We'll just do one more. During COVID I locked down. I watched this, Powell and Pressburger as I could, and enjoyed all of them. My favorites were actually at the time, my favorite was a Matter of Life and Death. I think my favorite overall is Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. But I'm slowly this is and I own those I don't own, thank you. I have not owned this. This was sort of a straight from DVD to four K upgrade and it's a wonderful, magical movie. And I wish more Americans knew who Roger Livesey was. He wasn't in a ton of movies, and I know he's till the Swinton's favorite actor. I think this is her favorite movie actually, But just great actor, great voice. He was in three Powell and Pressburger's I think he was Colonel Candy and Colonel Blimp and just great. And I could do a few more if you want, unless you want to move on to you.
Speaker 3: Are please, I've got five. You can match all.
Speaker 4: I mean, I have to.
Speaker 3: In fact, I think mine is within arm's reach because I just recorded about that one.
Speaker 4: Pretty cool.
Speaker 6: Actually, this this arrived before. This wasn't part of the recent five pickup, but it was in my hands, I pulled it out of the closet. I mean, what more is there to say? And I love I mean, I guess I'm what they called an elder millennial. But I do enjoy the videos on YouTube of gen Z kids watching movies for the first time, and this one always makes him laugh even after you know, forty years and rest in peace rob Ryder of course too. And then finally classic in art Head family, Pee Wee and sadly he when he passed away. A friend and I we had just watched Pee's Big Adventure that played at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in LA so got to see it with an audience. People were dressed up. I think they had the bike on display or a bike a bike classic. I haven't watched the new Tim Burton, I haven't watched any of the new extras yet, but looking forward to it.
Speaker 7: And it's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's great to see. Great to see this in the collection of all things.
Speaker 3: I am dying to see that one again. I was shocked when they announced it when they announced it, but yeah, glad to have it. So I've got five here. One is a piece from Deaf Crocodile, and I feel bad because I don't think anybody else has this yet. This is the brand new DIFA Fairy Tales set that is coming out right now. Love, I'm gonna take off this Jake card because the whole art needs to be seen to appreciate the incredible set they've got here. I've not seen any of these in full yet. I edited a couple of things on these, but yeah, eager to see all of these because they are weird and wild and classic in a way that is just unique. I am stoked to be able to see the rest of those imprint. While I was in Australia, We're sending me this came home to five City on Fire on four K. This is one of their hard box releases of the Golden Princess titles for those that have not seen these yet. On the inside, it is a steel book release and a hardback book, and so the art that they are doing on these are very much the original poster art on the steel book, which really cool that they're doing that on the steel. Normally these companies would not do that on the steel like that. Two discs on the inside. Really nice set and again pretty pretty nice box e type book here hard back on both sides. It's probably I don't know, forty ish pages just by judging it. Lots of art on the inside, not a lot of written essays. But I like that they're doing it like this. It's a great looking set, pretty identical to the Arrow releases. To my eye, it looks like all of the extras are about the same. I know that there's been some question on the differences after Shout works on them. It looks like Aero and Imprint are getting about the same sort of want to call it like restoration work, but it's it's like touch up after Shout fixes theirs and goes, well, we might have missed a couple things, and we were quick to put ours out so Aero can fix it, and here we are. I got too in from Moby from last year, and I got to see both of these in the theater. Like these quite a bit. Got to check out Die My Love and Lurker. Lurker is probably the one that I would recommend to most people. It is very much in the modern not comedy, but like cringe situation kind of situational awareness thriller in a way. It's not like anything that's gonna be scary or anything, but it's a situation where the whole time you're like, oh, what are these people doing? Like I could see this person immediately turning into somebody that's gonna go off on the deep end and like bring a gun to a music studio or something like that. The movie's great. Check it out. It is fantastic. And then the last one of the show. My wife didn't get to go see this with me in the theater, but I loved Primate. Everybody needs to go see this if you've not seen it yet. It is pretty wild. There's a couple of deaths in that movie that I'm really glad that they showed everything that they showed because they don't they don't hold back. They showed a guy falling off a cliff and hitting the bottom and that was that was pretty explicit. Yeah, that's my five have you I was?
Speaker 4: How was Die?
Speaker 3: My Love Die? My Love is is really well acted. It's Lynn Ramsey, So if you're a Lynn Ramsey fan, you'll probably love it a lot. It is very Lynn Ramsey. Jennifer in That is great. She is just an incredible actress. Robert Pattinson fantastic. He's in it a lot less than she is, But I could see a lot of people being frustrated. It's not super linear, normal narrative type of story. But if you are a parent, if you're a new mother, if you're somebody that struggled with like a very young marriage, it's probably going to hit very home with you as a viewer. Highly recommend checking it out at least once if that's your type of film. Otherwise I could see you walk away going like, oh, that was not even fun to watch.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that one's on the list. I have such a huge backlog of movies same watch.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of that, what have you been checking out.
Speaker 4: Lately? God? What have I been checking out? Actually?
Speaker 6: Even though I as far as older stuff, even though I've watched them a million times and most of my stuffs in storage at the moment. You know, the all the Alien movies are back on HBO Max, including the extended cuts. Yeah, for at least three of them, but the assembly cut for Alien three being on HBO that's actually been getting some traction online even though it's been streaming before. And the Alien Anthology set's been available for a decade now, at least you know, I'm sure there are people getting turned onto it for the first time, and.
Speaker 4: You know, great. You know, so I.
Speaker 6: Rewatched that in Alien Resurrection, which I used to not really be a fan of, but I've come around to it. And also it's one of my favorite lines in the franchise, right at the end, where you know, Sigourney Weaver says, I'm a stranger here myself. I've also been rewatching news Radio, which is on the Roku channel.
Speaker 4: Again. My DVD set also in storage, but I recently.
Speaker 6: There's a podcast called die Hard on a Blank and where they talk about you know, they start with die Hard and they work their way forward, you know, action movies that mold, so I've been catching up on and they touch on other films action films too, So, you know, over the last several months, I've been catching up with a lot of eighties and nineties action films I missed out on the first time. Not all great, but movies like a Judgment Night, which they mentioned. They don't cover it. It's not a Diehard type of movie, but they mentioned Judgment Night, which I quite enjoyed. Didn't know what to expect. What else did I watch? Southern Comfort for the first time good movie, which I at the last fifteen minutes, I had no clue what to expect or you know, what would happen. On the other hand, I was probably the only person on the planet watching free Jack, which again they didn't cover on the podcast, but they just mentioned it in the conversation or a chill Factor with Cuba Goodding Junior, which I was led to believe was die Hard on an ice cream truck. They're in a delivery truck with ice cream in it. They're not in an ice cream truck, right, So just to show you what I've been watching lately, And I'm probably the youngest fan of the TV series Get Smart from the sixties, and I might be ruining it by saying that, but someone uploaded the entirety of the show to the Internet archive, so I've had some of that playing in the background too, And you know what still makes me laugh after all this time.
Speaker 3: I know I've seen a lot of the show, but it's been so long it would be like a first time watch if I went back to it. My grandparents used to love it, and I mean I swear certain episodes I could probably quote to this day. But God, it's been decades, easily twenty five plus years.
Speaker 6: Well, I had to look I was telling a friend about it, and I had to look it up for the date, and it was a week before my birthday, actually January nineteen ninety one. When it first premiered on Nick at Night, they did a marathon called Maximum Smart. It was eight pm to six am, five days. And I was already a fan of Inspector Gadget with voice foul Don Adams. So all it took was about thirty seconds agreed on the best title sequence. So I was already fan of Don Adams. And it was one of those shows, same with News Radio later where within five minutes, I'm in. I'm a fan, Yeah, right or Die Dick Gaudier played Timie the Robot. But again all this knowledge in my head. But yeah, I haven't watched a ton of new stuff lately. Unfortunately, did you see one battle after another? I did watch, you know, basically I haven't watched all the Oscar nominees. I enjoyed it. I think my favorite PTA films are still Boogie Nights in Magnolia. That makes sense every time, every so often, if I watched Magnolia at the end. I'm just thinking, God, he wasn't even thirty yet when.
Speaker 3: He made it, and that wasn't even his first film either that he did historic things before that. Yeah, crazy timing for him. So I got to see two in theaters since our last show, which was last Thursday. While in New Zealand, and one day we went to see They Will Kill You, the New Zazie Beats film, and Tom Felton is also in that. Patricia Arcatt, a couple other names that were pretty good. It is very violent. It is it is essentially like a lot of people are saying, it's basically kill Bill, like in an apartment building. It's so different than that. It is very good. It has acted well. The story. You got to suspend a lot of belief to it. It's an over the top, bloody violent film, so you just got to be like, oh, yeah, this is the the universe that we're making this movie in, which makes sense. On that note. It's entertaining, it's fun, it's great. It's not like peak cinema or anything. The next one though pretty close to that. I finally got to see Project Hill Mary. I am quite happy I got to see that on the big screen. It is great. Ryan Gosling is great. Really happy with how they taught a lot of very heady silence not silence science without feeling like they were speaking down to the audience. It was very much like step in with us, rather than we're going to stand on a stage and speak down to you. I thought it was quite great. I really enjoyed the visuals in it. That's the big thing. Lord and Miller are really great at capturing just like captivating full throated beauty, essentially in very different situations. I thought it was pretty incredible for a blockbuster. More people see it.
Speaker 6: I haven't seen it yet. I did read the book just last year. Actually nice.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed it, got a you know, emotional at the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's certainly on the list, that's for sure. And yeah, and props to Greg Frasier the DP on that one too.
Speaker 3: Excellent. Excellent. And then the last thing I've talked about on the show probably eight hundred times, one of my favorite TV shows of all time, maybe my favorite TV show of all time comes back this week task Master over in the UK, And because of that, I showed my wife the show last one laughing. If you've never seen it. It is kind of similar to Task Master. They get ten UK comedians together in one room and the mission is to make everybody else laugh and you can't laugh. If you laugh twice, you're out of the game, and they go on a I think it's a six episode season to go from ten comedians down to one. It is some of the funniest but quiet humor that you've ever seen because nobody is laughing. It is great. It is witty. It is so hard to even hear everything because there's so many jokes that you're dying laughing. It's great. It's on an Amazon Prime. Check it out. There's two seasons currently, both very very good. But we should talk about travel. I'm gonna highlight some of the things that I did while on my trip, but I wanted to ask you, but the last handful of years you've been a bit of a digital nomad. How did that life come about for you?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 6: I mean, I suppose, deep down it was always something I was thinking about.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 6: So in God, what are we in twenty twenty six, twenty twenty three, I decided, you know what, got to do this. I went to Dublin for the graphic designer Annie Atkins's workshop. Annie Atkins is the graphic designer on a lot of Wes Anderson's films. She's worked on some Spielberg titles. You know, you don't know who Anny Atkins is. Google her you'll.
Speaker 4: Know her work.
Speaker 6: But she has a two day workshop in Dublin. Each day five hours and it's like, you know what I'm doing this. I got a passport actually right before COVID lockdown, before the world shut down, and I had never been outside the United States. So I did a week in Dublin, two in London, and then one in Edinburgh, and it was during the Fringe festival, so it was insane. I even ran into one of my old Win Droft classmates who I hadn't seen in the mazes. And after that, once I was on my connection back to la So I'm in Calgary talking to my parents and they say, oh, you're probably disappointed you're going back, and I told them, without any hint of irony.
Speaker 4: I got to keep this up. I don't want to go back. I want to keep going.
Speaker 6: And I realized I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I can do this, so I slowly, you know, put my stuff in storage, found someone.
Speaker 4: To cover my.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I found someone to take over my apartment, much to the annoyance of my roommate.
Speaker 4: That everything's okay. I was in a car accident, so that took care of that. Not my fault.
Speaker 6: It was a dui and hit and run of all kinds. But I got a couple of bucks out of that. And so twenty twenty four I did six months just crisscrossing the UK. I've seen more of that country than some of the people there. I got to meet up with the folks from Marrow at the pub, I got to meet with some fellow designers, got to go to the Vice Press open house, nice and one. I'm waiting. I'm at the Vice Press open house. I'm waiting for the they. I think it was a Japanese variant Star Trek two poster that Matt had done, because once they announced that deal with Paramount, it's like, oh God, and now I have to buy them all. And someone comes up to me while I'm waiting on the line, Scott, it's you, who are you? But it was the it was Lori Greasley, talented illustrator and we'd never met. And you know, when you're online, no one knows what anyone looks like. So that was pretty cool. And so that was six months there, and then I did five months Australia, New Zealand.
Speaker 4: I just got back from eight months. I did three in Europe and then another five in London, this time just London, and I tell people I haven't missed one day of work, got to meet the got to meet up with the Arrow folks again. And although I don't know if I'll be able to I don't know if I'll be out of the.
Speaker 6: Country as long as eight months, probably just between three and six at this point. Not sure where I'm going next. Have to take care of some stuff here at home. Yeah, you know, I crash with family, you know, when I'm back in the States, and yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: It's an interesting way to live.
Speaker 6: All my stuff's in storage and it'll be there, you know when I'm I tell people I want to keep doing this until I either run out of money, which hopefully does not happen, get bored, which I don't think will happen, or or meet someone, fall in love and stay which if I don't, you know, if I can, if I don't sabotage things, maybe that will happen one day, but we won't get into that. You know, it's fun and you know I tell my friends, you know I'm still always there. You know you need me since you know I can do this, but I'm always still trying to, you know, pay it forward and be there for people.
Speaker 3: And can a test you. You were pretty much always very pick to respond. You were always on it. Obvious question. But where are you hoping to go? Anywhere?
Speaker 6: That's on the list, certainly more in Europe because I think most Americans, if you're just on a regular visa, you could only do three out of every six months. So I was thinking something like Austria, where I actually have some ancestry, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic. I really want to do Iceland. I'd like to make it to Japan at some point, but I can't sleep on planes. That's a long flight, you know, flying from Auckland to la you know, couldn't sleep a wink. And with you would have just experienced with the international dateline, you actually arrived before you leave, which is a trip, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to talk about that just a minute. It was a very weird experience flying across the International Dateline. I wasn't going to do this, but a lot of people ask me to share some things, so I put together some of the photos from everything, just to be able to talk about what happened. Wanted to shout out Tony and Natalie who Tony let us stay with him, Tony Miechus, who's in the chat. Thank you Tony from the Imprint cast. This is their little welcome to Australia gift basket that they gave my wife and I. There's our first immediate lunch with Tony and my wife talking with Tony, and then we went down to see the beach. This was literally three and a half hours after we got to Australia. After I think that first flight was I think it was sixteen and a half hours. We flew from Dallas to Sydney this time, which that is a long flight, and the whole thing was in the night, so it was exhausting. I only slept about three hours that time. Here we are on the beach, just my wife and I and then we started going around town. Tony took us to the Ritz Theater. This place was great. Here's one of the old classic cameras they had for display there. He of course had to take us to some physical media shops. Here's one of his favorites top ten. This is in downtown Sydney and it was glorious. They had way more imports that I expected them to have. Some of them a little over priced, but if you're there, check it out. This place kind of hard to find. It's like recessed off of the road, so it's very easy to walk by and not see this. This is standing right in front of it, but you had to walk down I don't know, probably one hundred and twenty feet of an alley before you get here, so it's a little bit, a little bit hidden, but you're in Australia. Had to go to JBA Hi Fi. Got a couple titles here, show those on the show last week. Here's John Matthews from a New Way video with the very funny expression standing in front of Radio Free Alis. By the way, Radio Free Alis in Sydney. You can now pick up the Physical Media Advocate there. We're gonna be talking about that more eventually. Next up, great food, lots of Asian inspired dishes that we had loved it. There. Where's the been the best country for food for you so far.
Speaker 6: Scott God, I'm so not a foodie, to be honest, and usually, and I'm such an American, not that I go to the American chains, but I will try to find their version of it, like what's the what's the best pizza in Sydney, what's the cool burger joint in London? Or you know, things like that. But I'm so not adventure adventurous with any of that. Plus too much, too much junk food is always an issue with me too. In London, they have these big candy stores, but it'll literally say American candy store and it has everything, you know, because Reese's Emergey stuff is not as common there. Although then I read an article that said, like all the people who run those stores know each other, and you know, the articles speculated it's like one big money laundering scheme or something. It's like I say that if you don't have proof I spent money in these places, but I do well. I you know, my Sydney. Just through my Sydney trip, I was visiting a friend in Atlanta, so it was going to be Atlanta to LA to Sydney. Oh geez, the Atlanta trip. That flight was canceled like just canceled. They'd already started and then it was just canceled. And the airlines at this point, you know, they just rebook you automatically, so you never really know until you check. So my flight became Atlanta to Miami, which is nothing. Miami to Santiago, Chile, Santiago to Sydney. Who And when I got to my Airbnb, I had to download a single five megabyte jpeg. It was after ten minutes. It was like, this is gonna be a problem. So I ended up working with the in the reading room at the Central Library. So most of Dark City was.
Speaker 4: Done there.
Speaker 6: Ironically, since it was filmed in Australia, you know, I'm trying to think, yeah, a few other It's like, now when I look at the titles I've worked on, it's like, oh that country and fabulous stains was worked on three different continents at this point, that makes.
Speaker 3: Sense, all right. So that's one of the photos of the food. Here is the the Sydney Naval Harbor took a fun picture of that at night, and then Tony and everybody else threw a physical media get together barbecue. This was at Tony's house. Here is everybody that was there lots of names you'll recognize. We got Paul, who's in the chat right now, Ki Ray who's in the chat, Tony who's in the Chat. We got Brett. We've got a handful of others that you'll hear about at some point, I'm sure. But we also got visited by a Huntsman spider that I was told this was very rare, and I said, well, I see one while they I'm here. They said, probably not, and then he showed up, So that was funny.
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 3: You don't thank to say you don't look like you and Joy Spiders. Uh. This is a very fun store owned by a friend of Tony's named Andrew This This store just opened literally about a month before we got there. Funny enough, you can now pick up the Physical Media Advocate in this store as well. We're gonna be talking about that soon. This is a great little store. If you're there, go check it out. We'll give you more details on that. But then my favorite part of the trip maybe well that I can talk about. We went to the Meg, which is the home of Nick Nikolau's makeup effects group. He worked on tons of movies that you've heard of lots of Aussi classics like cut which I love. They worked on the matrix. We got to see the baby from the Matrix, and we got to see so many things that they've done in the past. This is one of the burned up nuclear victims, we'll say, just some incredible pieces in this essentially like a little museum that they had. Then in the back room he just has suddenly the biggest Star Wars collection I've ever seen. This was insane what he's got so much of it is like brand new inbox still but I know we got a lot of Star Wars fans heres wanted to share some of those, but then showed even more of his art and pieces that they've worked on, stuff that has been from way back when. This is an original piece from Mary Poppins that was like a test piece of the clothing I believe of what they were gonna do. This was incredible. This is an original cell from the Secret of Nim and Don Bluth is like one of my heroes of all time, so I had to snap a photo of that. Some incredible original pieces of art in this entire thing. This was the one right before the finalized painting visitor Q for Larry Cohen. So this is not the painting, but one of the ones that were almost there. Same with this, I don't believe this is the final one. He did have quite a few final ones. I don't know if I included Okay, this is one, this is one that was final, and then he also had I didn't include it. Maybe he's got Legend, he's got the final painting. That is the actual painting for the poster of Legend. This is stuff that was used on Fury Road, and a couple other things. Original storyboards here from the thing which is wild to see. Here is an original Alex Ross which was mind blowing to see in person. Just some modern art going around Sydney. Classic and then just some of the views. We went to Crawford, one of the biggest stations in all of Australia, and Danny, who might be in the chat or will be eventually probably It took us around this way. We got to see quite a bit of this. Here's us your server look in the ocean. And then we finally got to where he gave us a tour of his entire studio, looked at where they broadcast the news from they do radio recordings. There's Danny in the picture at the bottom. Danny was giving us the whole last sixty years history of broadcasting in Australia, which was just amazing to see. Here's the front of the studio, the wind network. And then the next day we went to the National Film and Sound Archive in Australia. This is in Canberra, and as much as I wanted to love this, we drove three hours to Canberra out of Sydney and we saw everything we needed to see in about less than twenty five minutes. Not very much there.
Speaker 6: When I was in Sydney working on Dark City, Arrow wanted to include a reproduction of the postcard and I did a little homework and I swear the original prop postcard is in that building, and I mentioned it, you know, I'm in Sydney. I'll take the train, I'll pay for it. But it would have required too much paperwork. You know, I couldn't just walk in and get a scan of it. You know, I even spoke to someone from there. We emailed back and forth.
Speaker 4: Nice guy.
Speaker 6: But you know, we would have needed written permission from Warner Brothers and it would have become a whole thing. So that's why I had to recreate it from scratch. It's like the real ones just over there the well.
Speaker 3: I tried to go there for some stuff for antenna and the timing just didn't work out right. Gonna be working on some stuff with them soon. But they did get to show us the actual knife from Crocodile Dundee and yes, that is a knife. We had to go to some more physical media stores. This is one again downtown Sydney. Really nice place. This is called hum. It was pretty nice, a little overpriced, but not too terrible. While we were walking to HUM, uh, just a random funny story because I'm a fricking giant if you didn't notice from the picture so far, Tony was walking us into a used bookstore and I was wearing my sunglasses because it was so bright outside. Walk in and I immediately go to take off my sunglasses because I was blinded. And as soon as I take them off, I'm one step in the building that had an exit sign, and I was so tall I bashed my head on the exit sign and so hard that the exit sign fell off of the roof or ceiling. Hilarious, absolutely terrible. My head started bleeding. That was fun. This is where we visited Bondai Beach and if you pay attention to world events, this was the site of a tragedy just a few months ago, and to be this close to it and see everything that happened was just absolutely wild. It's humbling in a way that is sad, especially coming from America, where it's such a common thing. Could say a lot about how safe we felt in Australia, but I'll let it go. Some of our big views of Australia. As we left Bondai, Tony took us to this beautiful little alcove where it's just crazy the views that people. This is like next to somebody's apartment. They just hang out here, and I was so jealous. You just wake up and look outside and then I look down and their steers carved into this cliff. It's just crazy. I love this life. Going on to some other stuff. Had to get the classic opera house shot. This is, of course, Luna Park. You've probably seen photos of this quite a few times online under the Harbor Bridge. Looking at that, we got some wonderful gelato. This was incredible. I didn't realize they put cherries in the bottom of this cone and I went to take a bite and the whole bottom part kind of exploded all over my pants and shirt. Thanks Sydney, that was wonderful. This is the Tyra Banks brand new ice cream shops she just opened called Smiles and Dream. Don't know why that's her new dream, but it is. There's us in front of the Opera House. And then Tony took us to one last theater called the Hayden Orpheum. Looks really nice inside. And then we went to the beach one last time. But finally this was some of my favorite photos. We got really nice late night view of the harbor and the Opera House. Then we flew to New Zealand. Yes we're only like three quarters of the way done with this trip. Flying into New Zealand was a gorgeous never seen nature like this Auckland. I mean you've been there, it's just stupendous to fly into there, right.
Speaker 4: Well, I flew in. I flew from Melbourne to Wellington and that's even better. Landing I was I think cross winds in the mountains. I was just gripping my seat, but I did do the wet workshop nice. Well that's actually where the shirt comes from.
Speaker 6: Very nice, and then from Wellington to Auckland, which was lovely. Did you make it to There's a New York style pizza pizza chain there called sALS. You didn't make it there at all, did you? We did, But when I saw that, I made like a B line for it, and it's like they got it right. Not everyone does.
Speaker 3: Well, if they got it right, I will say I've I've never been to New York, even though I've now been to Auckland. If they got it right, man, I'm not gonna like New York pizza because I did not like so well.
Speaker 6: When I was in London. There's no offense to it because it was a cool place. There's a there's a Quentin Tarantino themed pizza restaurant in London called True Romance, which they have a lot of cool stuff from his movies there. But it's like Tarantino, A he's not from New York and B he's not really associated with pizza. And it builds itself as New York style pizza and I went there tried it and not nope, not even close. Sorry, But when I saw this place in Australia, New Zealand, I had to try it and then I went to a New York style. I went to a deli and had like a p Astromi sandwich because I'm always on the hunt for a good one of those, and it.
Speaker 3: Was good, but so salty I couldn't finish. Too salty, understandable. So yeah, that's flying into Auckland. This is right before we landed. This is how they welcome you in at the Auckland airport. And then the day after this, I spent on a film set signed an NBA. So I can't say much about it, but if you know much about what I'm doing with my company and who else owns it, you should be able to guess what film set I was on. That's as much as I can say. More stories about that when I can next summer, I believe. But this is right before we went in to Hobbiton. If you're in New Zealand, you pretty much have to do it. So the wife and I went to the Shire, and I did not want to show all of the photos because there's so many that look very similar. But this place was magical. After spending the last five or six weeks showing both of our kids, all three of the Lord of the Rings films. This was wild to see in person, completely completely loved all of the attention to detail. It is kind of crazy how much they paid attention to everything, the sheer size of everything. This was a very fun photo. My wife making fun of me because I'm a giant. It was not oops, it was not that small. You should be able to be seen if you're normal size, but I am not. Just gorgeous landscape. It is so crazy how green and lush everything is. Absolutely loved it. We got to go into one of the Hobbit houses, just a great time. Loved it there, and then afterwards we had a tour through the Waitomo gl glowworm caves. For those that have not heard of it. These are dark, deep caves in the side of a mountain basically that glowworms. They hang down these little tails to attract insects, kind of like spiderwebs, and they glow to attract them. And you go in and all the lights are off and you can see what looks like little fiber optic lights and they're just worms. Couldn't take any photos of that inside, but you come out on a little boat ride at the end of it. It is a really fun time. Just beautiful to see, had a great time. That's pretty much everything that made sense to show pictures of. Loved it though. That was my first time ever out of the country. I cannot wait to do something like that again. I am very poor, so it will not be able to happen, probably for a long time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, hopefully you make it to you know, make it to London at some point. There's certainly enough there to keep you busy. And every time I either every time with me and the UK, I've either just missed something or I leave and I'm about to miss something. The week before, literally the week before I left London this last time. Yeah, well, the Sciences seems doing a Star Trek exhibit for the anniversary and they're showing the ten films. It's like, yeah, literally starting the two days after I left. Oh, the first time I was there, I left and then they were doing the Powell and Presburg are big retrospective there, so I just missed that too, So I got to time this better.
Speaker 3: I think it's the BFI. They're about to do a big Germmel del Toro retrospective showing I think everything he's done and that that would be a blast to see. I don't think I've only seen maybe one or two on the big screen ever, so see all of them would be crazy. I would love that, all right. So tonight after announcements, we were talking about audio commentaries. Last thing I wanted to bring up before we go into the announcements writing. You have your first bit of writing about to come out in one of these releases, tell us about it.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't consider myself a writer, but when I was working so I found out Arrow got Innerspace, and I told them I want in I want to do that one and one other title they have that I requested to work on, which hopefully I do. I said, it's my favorite Jodante film. It's one of my favorite Ambulance films. And I believe Doug John Miller did the new artwork I just wanted. Yep, Doug John Miller did the new art which is on the wrap and the booklet cover in the disc. I took care of the rest and I'm doing the booklet. I have three pages left over, and it's like, you know, I'm a fan. I know this movie top to bottom. I've seen all of Dante's stuff, so I just speculatively. Over a weekend, wrote did a little write up on his stock company. So you know, it's no deep insight. It's just a series of nerdy lists. But I mean, I could have done three pages just on Dick Miller, but I literally only have the three pages. You know, So Dick Miller, Robert Riccardo, you know, Kevin McCarthy, William Shaler, et cetera. You know, I found some cool quotes on the inner at archive. There's a book on the making of Invasion of the Body Snatchers that I think Kevin McCarthy even co wrote. It's mainly the original, but touches on the Philip Kaufman version two. I found some tweets from old archive, tweets from Joe Dante, you know, when some of these actors had passed away, and he pay tribute. Piccardo did an interview with the A. B Club, so I found a couple quotes from there. Not as much on some of the others, like Wendy Shawl or Archie Hahn, although I did mention his. I had mentioned his role in meat Balls two just because but no, I had fun with it. I took the screenshots and when I emailed them a pass of the booklet. I said, oh, by the way, check this out. If you like it, great, If not, no big deal, and they came back, you know sure, yeah, we'll use it. So then I had to change the blurb on the back so my name would be in it. But I even got you know, the Joe Dante's TV stuff, which I hope I got it all right, like you know who you know, people who were in Irie, Indiana or the episode Dick Miller was in one of the two episodes of Police Squad that Dante directed.
Speaker 4: He directed one third of that show.
Speaker 6: And you know, I'm a big Star Trek fan, so I had to get in a Trek reference in there, since Wendy shall Gets started a Voyager episode and had scenes with the Cardo. So yeah, hopefully there's I know there's one other movie that I'm I would love to do something like this with.
Speaker 4: I won't mention it.
Speaker 6: I don't know if Arrow has it or not, but an eighties action movie with a big cast of.
Speaker 4: You know, hey, it's that guy names.
Speaker 6: So I don't know if Arrow has it or not, but if they do, and if I get to work on it, I would love to do something like this again.
Speaker 3: Well, I adore Interspace. When we first talked about the announcement here, I gushed on it for a handful of minutes. For those that have never seen it, pitched them the film Interspace, why should they buy it?
Speaker 6: I mean, I could pitch it the way Joe Dante describes it, which is, it's fantastic. It's fantastic voyage crossed with a Martin and Lewis comedy. But it's a Martin Martin short. Or Dennis Quid's a test pilot. He gets miniaturized. He's part of this experiment miniaturization. He gets miniaturized and injected into Martin short.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: And they have to you know, beat the bad guys and you know, re enlarged Dennis Quaid before he runs out of air.
Speaker 4: Meg Ryan's the love interest.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know you got the usual Joe Dante stock players in it.
Speaker 6: Oscar winning visual effects by Industrial Light and Magic, gorgeous, a fun score by Jerry Goldsmith and Robert Riccardo. At the Orlando Mega Con, he autographed my DVD. Years later at Monster Palooza in Pasadena, he autographed my Blue Rays and now I got to meet him one more time so we could autograph the four K and this time I can actually I worked on it. But yeah, it was just one of those you know. It was also one of those movies that was always on TV. Yeah, and you know, it was the last generation to kind of grow up late eighties, early nineties. If a cool movie was on TV, you watched it because it was on and there was nothing else to do. But no big fan and I had fun working on it, you know, a couple of cool you know. There's one poster that I used for the back of the booklet cover that I'd never actually seen before. I think it was for the home video release, you know, again and trying to you know, with fonts and you know, you know again trying to make everything of a piece, and you know, with the booklets, readability is the most important thing.
Speaker 4: Plus Arrow has their own sort of house style, but you.
Speaker 6: Know, throwing in some cool tech little patterns and things like that, just to just to have fun with it and give it some visual interest.
Speaker 3: Of course, I'm always happy to see that, especially in your stuff. Yeah, Interspace, check it out if you've never seen it. It is fantastic. It's one of those that I think it was. Adam in the chat said it's kind of like Peter Jackson's Frighteners, and that it's it's like one of their best, but overlooked in a way that shouldn't be. In Jackson's uber that not the film is not like the Frighteners, but in their ubra it is similarly overlooked, which it shouldn't be. Innerspace is fantastic, although it's difficult when you're Dante because he's got like, oops, all bangers in his resume, and when when you're comparing to the Burbs and Gremlins and Mattinee and everything else, it's very easy to say, oh, yeah, we watched all those in this other one that we just forget about that one but deserves a shot.
Speaker 4: Also, I think if you ask Dante he'd say, also a you know, genre hybrids are hard sci fi, yeah, or sci fi action comedy even And it's two hours, and I'm sure the studio would have preferred it maybe fifteen minutes less to get one more screening in.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I mean, I can't think of anything you could cut.
Speaker 3: No, it's worth the entire watch. It is great, super well done. I understand where Terry's coming from in the chat talking about Martin Short overacting. But just like Adam said, or just like Spooky said, that is kind of why you watch Martin Short. That's that's what he always does. So either way, he.
Speaker 6: Hadn't done I think he had done Three Amigos, and I don't think he'd really done much many movies actually before not much.
Speaker 3: No, that's true. God, yeah, I need to go look at his resume around that time. I'd love to learn more about that. All right, we're ready for announcements. Anything else that you want to hype up before we go into this, anything other than Interspace coming out the next month or two. That's already been.
Speaker 6: Working on a few titles for Arrow right now, and you know, a couple for you know, a few for fun City in various stages. But yeah, nothing else I can really talk about right now. But there will be more.
Speaker 3: There will be more. And speaking of more, let's talk about some animation as it comes through Warner Arc. So these are all a big batch of more archive titles that came out late last week. I do want. I know a lot of people are gonna be like, you don't need to apologize for this you were out of the country. I do want to apologize I was very late on many of these announcements. It was such a weird week. I literally right before the show just got caught up with what I had been waiting to be able to post. Over the last two weeks, every single day has been wild. You were talking about going over the international date line. I woke up early on Monday morning to fly out of Auckland, left on Monday afternoon out of Auckland, flew twelve hours to LA and when we landed in LA it was again Monday morning. And that sort of thing is so jarring in a weird way that you are just not prepared for. When we finally landed in Kansas City, it was technically only an hour on the clock after when we left Auckland, which, holy hell, what a weird life that is in that day. All right, So we got maynight. If we get a Blu Ray coming of Looney Tunes cartoons, this is the HBO Max series coming to Blu Ray. Now, this one's interesting because it had been discussed on this show last week or the week before. Is coming on DVD only, and it seems like the outcry of everybody wanting this got them to say, hold up, let's get the Archive to put this out on Blu Ray, which is always a win. This is going to be a six disc Blu Ray collection. They're going to have the sports shorts with it as well. You can check this out. Total runtime on this just over a thousand minutes, which is very worth it to me. I'm a big animation header und the animation Scott.
Speaker 4: I've always been a Looney Tunes fan.
Speaker 6: I haven't watched this, but I have been buying the collections and I've kind of lost count between you know. You know, I have the Golden Collections from DVD than with Blu Ray. They did a few Latinum collections, and they've done some DVD compilations over the years. But you know, some of the cartoons are new and some are old, and some have been remastered and some haven't. But you know, whatever the Archives releasing Looney Tunes wise, I'm more than likely going to pick up same.
Speaker 3: I will get this absolutely. Next up is seven Faces of Doctor Laud from nineteen sixty four. This is coming on May twenty sixth. This is a Tony Randall film. This will have a vintage featurette on here called King of the Duplicators, and then Tom and Jerry cartoon the Cat above and the Mouse below and the original trailer. Are you the classics like this?
Speaker 4: I've not seen this one.
Speaker 6: I know, I'm certainly aware, but actually most of the rest of the archive titles I think you're going to announce, I have not seen, unfortunately, but I'm always open, you know, so I'll yeah, you know, they'll get on my radar at some point.
Speaker 3: We've got a question from Explosive Action, what's going on losing track? What's different to this compared to the last couple of Warner Archive Looney Tunes Bugs Bunny, This is entirely different the one we just talked about. This is the HBO Max series that's very contemporary. It was being it was coming out between twenty twenty to twenty twenty four. It is not classic Looney Tunes, but it is done in the classic Looney Tunes style. I've never seen them, but I hear they're actually like shockingly faithful to the original style and the comedy and everything. So I need it for sure. Next up, one that I've heard about for a long time, never got a chance to see This has follow Me Quietly from nineteen forty nine, also coming on May twenty six from more Archive. This says, this is the film that, above all increased my knowledge of the trade. I learned how to organize a film. Director Richard Fleischer said about follow Me Quietly, the filmmaker learned well. His subsequent career included the film Noir Gem, The Narrow Margin, the family favorite Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and the sci fi milestone Soilent Green. William Lund again stars as a cop on the trail of an elusive serial killer who strikes when darkness and rainfall. Anthony Man shares credit for the story, a take similar to his work uncredited on the previous years he walked by Night. This will have Crime does not pay shorts on this called Dark Shadows and the last installment plus the trailer feels a little noir ish? Are you into film noir?
Speaker 6: I do? I am. I don't know why I said I do. I am, But I have that weird problem where you know, and obviously some are better than others, but you know, some of these movies the plots are so labyrinth you know, you blank and all of a sudden it's wait, where are we again?
Speaker 4: And who's that guy?
Speaker 7: I love?
Speaker 6: There's trappings of it, you know, just the you know, the sort of archetype characters and the femme fatale and you know, the lighting and just that post war gloom and doom feeling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, this is definitely something I would watch at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this sounds great. I definitely need to see this one. Next up one that a lot of the people I know and trust on film seem to be very excited, So I am keen for this one. Nineteen sixty Nine's the Five Man Army. This says where the army leads. Action fans, especially spaghetti western fans, will want to follow. This has a brand new four case scan of the original camera negative. We've got no other extras on this, but the cast. The cast on this, Bud Spencer, Peter Graves, James Daily, Tetsuro Tamba, directed by Don Taylor. Are you into spaghetti westerns at all?
Speaker 6: Also a big gap in my hell of a lineup here for me, but no, also more of a gap in my you know, movie going thank you, unfortunately, But again I'm always open, and I think Don Taylor, Yeah he did. I think he did the second Omen film. He directed that, and I think he directed so one of the Planet of the Ape sequels. I just don't remember which one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds right. Yeah, definitely want to check this one out. I have been watching more and more spaghetti Western of the last few years, and yeah, sounds sounds really interesting.
Speaker 6: As a graphic designer. As a graphic designer, I do appreciate their continued commitment to using the artwork.
Speaker 3: The same, same, same, even on something like this, which is Monogram Mattine Volume three coming out that same day, May twenty sixth, and they've got two films here, both of them with the original posters shuffled onto this cover, which is really nice to keep them. So we've got Under Arizona Skies and Range Justice from nineteen forty six and nineteen forty nine, respectively. These are brand new four K scans of the best preservation elements on both of these. Both of these are an hour or just under an hour runtime, so that's why they're both on the same disc. No extras on these, but it's a double feature. I'm not much of a Western, guys. This is something that you would be immediate to.
Speaker 4: Pick up same.
Speaker 6: But you know what I'm so, I mean, I'm glad when anything is released like this. I'm happy that they're doing these, you know that they're clearly committing to, you know, volume three. Maybe we'll get volume four hopefully at some point too.
Speaker 3: If the sells more than fourteen copies maybe yeah. Next up, another big one, May twenty sixth. It's a Wise Child from nineteen thirty one with Mary and Davies this one, and Marian delivers one of her finest comedic performances in this smart early talkie farce that delights in mistaken impressions and social pretenses. When Joyce Stanton becomes the unsuspecting subject of scandal after being wrongfully assumed pregnant, she finds the gossip oddly useful, particularly as it helps her sidestep an unwonted marriage to a wealthy suitor. I absolutely need this one. Pre Code films are always at least interesting and quite often fantastic. This will have classic cartoons on here Bosco's Fox Hunt and Bosco's Soda Fountain, and then two NGM shorts, Crazy House and the Rounder. Any thoughts on pre Code films.
Speaker 6: I did watch? I don't have a ton of experience with them. But I'm a big I like Barbara Stanwick, and I know she did a bunch of pre code films and maybe it was the Criterion Channel or I don't know where I I have seen him at this point, but you know, I watched a bunch of hers, you know, from then, and you know, on one, you know, certainly tame compared to you know now, but at the same time you can kind of see where it might have bothered some people that there's one where she literally no I'm Philly blanking on the name. One where you know, she gets a job at a company and she literally, like you know, sleeps her. You know, the whole movie is about her sleeping away to the top, which you couldn't do, you know a few years later in a movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. I always love watching pre code movies and thinking about my grandparents and going they were scandalized by so much less than her in pre code films, all right. Next up Joan Crawford in Possessed, No, not that Possessed. This is nineteen thirty one's Possessed, also coming on May twenty sixth from More Archive. This is Joan Crawford and Clark Gable in this one. We got a four K scan of the original night rate negative. This will have the MGM Dogville comedy short Love Tales of Morocco, and a classic cartoon Bosco the dough Boy, which I'm just glad that they're putting shorts on these. I'm glad that we're getting all of this archived. It's Clark Gable and Joan Crawford, Like, I got to watch this at some point. This sounds fantastic.
Speaker 6: And my one of my old roommates in La Nora, who writes about classic film. She actually writes one of the essays and arrows I think in Vollow You three in the film war set. Huge fan of Betty Davis and Joan Crawford. You know, this is a woman in her twenties. She has tattoos of them, you know, magnets on the fridge. I think she said her favorite movie was humor Esque. So when one archive released that, I had to tager in the announcement you know you might want to buy this, So yeah, yeah, as long as you know, again there's always a new audience for movies like this.
Speaker 3: I agree. Yeah, And then maybe the biggest one of the month for a lot of people. As we get the Late Show from nineteen seventy seven with Ark Carney and Lily Tomlin. This is of course a big one because it is one that people have wanted on HD for quite some time. You've got Robert Benton also in this one. This is let's see, there was one more thing that I wanted to shout out four case gaining the original camera negative excerpt from Dinah from nineteen seventy seven Talk show with Lily Tomlin and Dinah Shore. Just absolutely great that this is coming out on HD finally, any Art Carney or Lily Tomlin.
Speaker 6: Thoughts, not really except I think I looked it up once and I'm pretty sure I think Lily Tomlin was the host of SNL the weekend I was born. I was born on a Sunday morning, and I think if she was hosting SNL the night before.
Speaker 7: Nice.
Speaker 4: But this reminds though. I think in the.
Speaker 6: Last month's announcement, one was Private Benjamin. And you know some of these titles, I'm shocked like they haven't either they got old archive releases on DVD or something like Private Benjamin probably got a DVD release In a snapper case twenty five years ago, and that's extra better treatment until now, you know so. But again I'm glad, you know, glad to see something like this out and available and with the original art and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big deal. Definitely wanting this one. This looks fantastic. And then we got a big boy. We had heard that this was coming seven announced the titles. We've got a four K blu ray box set coming of Sinster Directs Hammer box Set. This is seven discs. In this box set, We've got the Horror of Frankenstein, Lust for a Vampire, and Fear in the Night. This is going to be three films on seven discs, with an all new three hundred and twelve page book and nineteen hours of special features before we go into some of the details. Any thoughts on these seven box sets? Do you pick up any of the box sets from them?
Speaker 4: No? I haven't, although I will say.
Speaker 7: I did.
Speaker 6: I worked on The Wild Geese for severin which I think our booklet I think is four pages longer. Not that it's a contest or anything, but no, I haven't. Definitely looks cool though, and yeah, just I know I'm kind of a bit a broken record here, but again, I'm just happy that any of these are out and with you know, awesome artwork and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they kind of crushed this one. This is going to be shipping on or around June thirtieth, maybe slightly before if you order from their website. Some of the details on here though, get really deep on this. So the Horror of Frankenstein, We've got a commentary Sankster and Marcus Hearn. We got a commentary by Tim Lucas on the Blu Ray. We've got all of those things, and then an archival interview and then we continue on. We've got all kinds of other archival interviews, featurettes on literally every single film that is in this box set, Lots and lots of stuff. If you do have the UK releases of these films, a lot of these are the same supplement that are on those. But this is crazy. To get all three of these in one box set together. Looks like a just absolutely fantastic release. The seventh disc, by the way, it's three films, so you would think a four K and a Blu Ray for each film. Why is there's seven discs. The seventh one just even more bonus features. There is legacy documentaries, on here. There's a brand new documentary called Hammer and Beyond the Jimmy Sinkster Legacy from twenty twenty six by Marcus Hearn. There is just so much in here, interviews, visual essays, appreciations, introductions to the films, so much on here. This is an abundance of riches if you're a Hammer fan. Terry says, the artwork is a little bad.
Speaker 6: I'm just looking at the box and it looks like it's split in the middle where you take the top off and yep. Working on a few of those for arrow, you know, getting that to align properly is more often than not a pain, Especially with DIF printers. There's usually a one or two millimeter variant. So if you get one that line set great. If not, sorry, you know, we do the best we can with these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I completely understand that that is a lot of work guaranteed to go with this, They are also releasing Children of the Wicker Man. This is coming on the same day. This is a twenty twenty four film. This is the first time it's been on disc anywhere in the world. And this is let's see with this seventy three directorial debut. Robin Hardy fought to kraft what would eventually be recognized as one of the greatest horror movies ever made. But for his loved ones, Hardy created a very different kind of nightmare. Now. Art historian Dominic Hardy and filmmaker Justin Hardy, half brothers and self described far flung spawn, explore their late father's complicated legacy and this incredibly brave and touching documentary that will take you on a journey unlike any you've been on before. This will have interviews with the filmmakers, It will have Q and A with a excuse me the filmmakers as well making a featurette and a trailer. I love The Wickerman or are you a Wickerman fan?
Speaker 6: It's been a while, that's for sure. Although this this is a documentary, it is.
Speaker 3: A documentary about the director of The Wickerman.
Speaker 6: But I always find it interesting when document you know, when documentaries have extras, because it's almost like documenting the documentary and there's like an extra level of meta sort of involved, you know.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. Yeah, working on that myself right now. We uh not to go too far behind the scenes, but a lot of people were interested that Antenna's first title that we announced was a documentary, because a lot of physical media companies do not do any documentaries. I can flatly say right now we have signed many documentaries, at least four or five, and all of them will be getting physical releases. I think there's one that is up in the air, but they will each come with a wide, wide breadth of extras. I can guarantee that.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: To round out the month for Severn, this is maybe my most exciting release of this entire slate. Here they partnered with Yellow Veil, who is now also a partner label of seven. Don't worry, they're still a partner label of OCN. Who knows why they had to go for Severn for this one. Maybe just to put out a box set because not a lot of partner labels get to do that. For OCN, Maybe they just have too many films. Maybe it was just a Severn co production. Well, we'll probably never find out, but they're putting out a box set of films for a filmmaker that I'm going to butcher the name here, and I apologize. Adam is already waiting for me to say the name. I believe it's Lucille Hadja lev I had it the first time, Hadja Halivovich. I believe that's pretty close. Hadja Halivovich, Hala Lovich. There it is Hadja Hadja Halilovich, is I believe the right way to say it. This is a four disc set with four hours of special features in a sixty page companion book. In this set we've got Innocence, Evolution, the Ice Tower, and Earwig. If you've been paying attention to releases overseas, you'll probably recognize Earwig that was released by the company Anti World so over in the UK. They are like a sister label of Indicator, and all of these are filled with extras. I think we've got one or two that are brand new releases in the North American side. So Innocence this is a North American Blu Ray premiere, sounds like a great film. The Evolution is not for the first time, but it's got some extras on there as well. Earwig is first time in North America, and that's got a bunch of extras, including short films on a few of these. And they've also got at the bottom there there it is the Ice Tower, a bunch of extras as well, Q and a's introduction. Everything this looks fantastic.
Speaker 6: And with artwork by my friend Beth Morris, who actually met when I was in the UK for six months. I spent a month in Cardiff and we met a couple times at the community space I was working out of, called the Chapter Art Center.
Speaker 4: And always fund to talk shop.
Speaker 6: And then he's certainly getting a ton of work too, so always happy to see that.
Speaker 3: Beth is incredible. We'll talk about her later tonight for something special for me. They have a bunch of so many bundles to choose from this month, almost too many, but let's talk about these real quick. So we've got the Wicker Basket, which has the Children of the Wickerman and then a book with it that is a two hundred and thirty two page hardcover book. That bundle forty one bucks to me, not a terrible price. You get a documentary, you get a pretty decent hardcover book. Forty bucks not too bad. Second bundle, they've got the Sinster Celebration Bundle. This thing gets you the Sangster box set. You've got a lust for a Vampire novelization nineteen seventy one reissue. You've got two seven Hall of Fame pins, one with Ralph Bates, one with Jimmy Sangster. You've got a ute Stends guard enamel pins. So you've got three pins, a book, and a box set, all in one hundred and sixty two bucks. Not terrible. Again, seven been pretty reasonable with their prices lately. Then you've got the Sangster Wicker Bundle. This gets you both of the children of the Wickerman items and all of the Sangster Directs Hammer items all together one n two hundred bucks. Not too too bad either. Or you can go all in on Sangster and the Hadja Hella Loovich box. This is pretty crazy. It will get you the box sets, it will get you the book, it will get you the three pins. All of that two hundred and twenty five dollars. Anything in these announcements from seven that you're like, Man, I am very keen on that one.
Speaker 4: Certainly some stuff I'd like to watch, but.
Speaker 6: Not at the moment understandable it again, you know, never saying and you know it's every move, you know, it's you know, it's like if you haven't seen it, it's new.
Speaker 3: For you, so exactly exactly. Next up, very interesting. I never expected to see this. June second, Universal and SDS Studio Distribution Services, they're releasing the Office super Fan extended episodes. Now, what is been a little bit confusing for people is this is the complete series of The Office. This is getting the extended episodes that were on Peacock. Every single episode in the series has been extended, and so you get all of those. It's more than twenty five extra hours compared to the original release of the complete series. Are you an Office fan?
Speaker 6: I haven't watched it since it aired, but yeah, I was a big Office fan, and I remember, you know, if you remember those first few episodes, you know, he played Michael a little differently, he had the hair slip back. But I was already a fan of the British version, and I remember there was a report on one of the geek websites about a test screening for this one, and apparently people thought it was too depressing. And when I read that, I thought they got it. It'll work. If people think it's people who don't know think it's too depressing, then they got it right.
Speaker 4: But I have not seen the extended ones.
Speaker 3: Though I've not seen any of them either. I hear they're very interesting. Just keep in mind you likely will not get all the extras that are on the old box set. Here, Stan is saying it looks prohibitively expensive. I gotta be honest, I'm kind of shocked this thing is on Amazon right now for less than seventy five bucks, and for a release day release of a complete series with twenty five extra hours of content. That seems pretty inexpensive for a studio release for me. I mean, it's still granted, it's twenty twenty six seventy five bucks, still a lot of money, but that seems fairly inexpensive compared to what I expected. All right, Next up, speaking of expensive, May twenty sixth, Lionsgate is releasing this Amazon exclusive Rambo four K collection. Now, this is going to be interesting. If you picked up the last big Rambo four K steel book set that had come out, and the reason here is because they fixed kind of everything that was wrong with that set. And if you're a big Rambo fan, which I am not, and you were anal about everything that was wrong about that set, you're going to be quite frustrated because that thing costs like one hundred and twenty five bucks. This thing is around one hundred. It's not the steel books and all that stuff, but they fixed so much so I'm gonna go through some of these that's brand new. There's a brand new bonus disc that's brand new on this. It's got reflections on First Blood with Ted Katchief storyboarding First Blood, the Art of Rambo, Rambo auction poster gallery. Then on the second disc, everything is the same on that. We're going to get into the actual audio fixes and stuff like that in just a minute, but it's got all of the Rambo films. I've heard everybody laugh about there only being three and four and depending on how many you love and all that. But this is where it gets super interesting because we've got the theatrical and Sylvester Sloan's extended edition on Last Blood. There's a brand new Dolby Atmost cut on Last Blood that was not in the original one. We've got Dolby Atmost on Rambo three. We've got Dolby Vision on all of these that was not on the previous releases. We've got like the original laser disc audio on a couple of these that are brand new, we've got let's see Dolby True HD five point one from the newly discovered seventy millimeters six track magnetic soundtrack on Rambow First Blood Part two, like lots of stuff that they went in and found after the first set was kind of botched, and this looks like it's gonna be pretty solid if you are a Rainbow fan. Are you a Rambow fan, sir?
Speaker 4: I not a hardcore fan. I love the first film.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but the first film, of course, is completely different from the rest.
Speaker 4: Enjoy two and three. I like the fourth one.
Speaker 6: I still haven't seen the last one, actually, the Last Blood, and I still can't believe. You know, Ted Kachef, who directed First Blood, also did we get at Bernie's. You know, that's versatility. But I saw this and it was like, yeah, I'm gonna have to pick it up. I've only ever owned the first one, and I think I got it at best Buy for eight bucks, so you know, I'll go with this. But I do have to give a shout out to the folks that at Trata the record label, they've released the complete remastered scores over the years for the first three films. In fact, First Blood just got a new release. But to you know, Fix's previous errors and yeah, things like that. And I believe their release of Rambow of Part two, which came out I think in twenty sixteen, there's an alternate entitle piece that Jerry Goldsmith did which I think they salvaged from a tape cassette or something, you know, so they're still discovering things from these movies. But yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to pick this up.
Speaker 3: This is This is gonna be tough because it has sold out multiple times already. So if you're keen on this one, you might want to get it sooner than later if you can.
Speaker 6: Even well, I learned that lesson. Funny enough, if it's something i'm thinking about, I just order it because I remember when I ordered the they've reprinted it. But when Sony did their Lawrence of Arabia steel book, it's the only time I had an Amazon order canceled, like they literally rain out where.
Speaker 4: They got to mine.
Speaker 6: I ended up ordering it from Target, of all places, you know, they had it, you know, again first world problems, but you know at the time it was like no but Target, who knew for.
Speaker 3: Those that weren't following that saga. Closely shortly after that thing sold out it was going for over two hundred dollars on eBay, which is just insanity, all right. Next up, June sixteenth, we get a four K blu ray and DVD coming of Boz Luhrman's epic Elvis Presley in Concert from last year. They also had part of the press release. This is the second time in the last year that a brand new studio film says a special edition steel book will also follow later this year. So if you want a special edition of this, that's not saying it'll have special features, but to me, that's what special edition would mean. Also, they're obviously doing a steel book, so if you're a stee book fan, you might want to wait on that. But there's nothing on this disc other than the film. If you're an Elvis person or a bos Lehman person, that might be enough, But if you really love it and you want extras, you might want to wait. All I know is that I've heard so many varied opinions on this sort of thing. A lot of people that love it, a lot of people that are pissed off because Boz Lherman kind of like shook things up, didn't credit even like the band members sort of made some of the performances be disjointed and not properly done. Are you an Elvis guy.
Speaker 6: I mean I am to the extent that everyone else is. I mean, I'm certainly no expert. I enjoy I went to the Neon Museum in Vegas where they have all the old signs. And I'm not a Vegas I'm not an expert on Vegas's history, but they were you know, some people there who were looking at it. It's like, oh, that's the marquee from where Elvis performed in nineteen you know, they were naming all that stuff. Yeah, they are definitely people who are bigger fans than I am.
Speaker 3: I get it. I'm not super high up on it either, but yeah, I'm very curious what a giant Elvis fan thinks of this thing, as you sure. Next up one that I loved from last year. May twelfth, we are finally getting news about a blu ray release from Lionsgate of Twinless from last year. Did you get see this one?
Speaker 4: No? I didn't.
Speaker 3: This is starring Dylan O'Brien and James Sweeney, The Gentleman on the Right. James Sweeney is also the director of the film I believe the right as well. This is a movie that I can't really say much about. You kinda shouldn't know anything about it, just going too a blind. I think it's up on Hulu right now. But this is one of the best films of the year and hardly anybody got to see it. Please give this a watch. I am very very much going to be picking this disc up. It's one of my favorites. Next one that I'm quite excited about as well. We got some details on this. We talked about this, I think about a month ago, but June twenty third, we are getting a Blu Raine DVD release here in the US from cult epics of Don't Play with Fire. Now, what is that movie? You probably know it more if you know this type of film as Dangerous Encounters of the first kind. This is from Troy Hart from nineteen eighty. Not sure why they went with the dopp Play with Fire title when so many people know the other title, but oh well, here we are. This is one that I'm dying to see. The trailer for this looks incredible. On the bonus extras, we've got the uncensored international version, brand new two K restoration. We've got an audio commentary by Frankie Belbo and branded strusnig. We got an interview with the actor Paul Cha, interview with the actor albert Ao, interview with the screenwriter Jato chuck On, interview with the assistant director O Sing Pui, and then the second disc has the banned Chinese version. There's an English dubbed version as well. The English dub is only an SD And then we've got the original trailer and you know, brand new subtitles and all that new art by Tony Stella, which how Great's Tony Stello there, Scott.
Speaker 4: He's great and I've.
Speaker 6: Worked with his art many times with the Arrow and ironically, I mean I was doing layout work for cult epics for a year or so. Yeah, but my last one was The Girl who Left Through Time with Sam Smith's art, so I did not work on this one. But you know, whoever gets Tony's art, you know, just treat it well, same with anyone's art, really, you know.
Speaker 3: Agreed, And yeah, I agree, Terry this one. Adiah Heart completely agreed and yeah, Gentry, this is dangerous encounters of the first kind. This is one that people have been talking about getting for a long time. So please look out for it. Next up, the remake of When a Stranger Calls from two thousand and six is getting a via Vision release on May twenty seventh on Blu Ray. This is one that you can pre order starting on April fifteenth. This is going to be an individually numbered three D lenticular herd case with six art cards. Bonus features on this are all archival, but we've got an audio commentary with the director, Simon West and Camilla Bell, audio commentary by Jake Wade Wall, some deleted scenes making of and that's about it, although I did want to point out I had lots of people comment that the aspect ratio here is wrong. I know that's a big thing for a lot of people, and as it should be. Obviously, you want it framed properly, but not sure. Via Vision Slash Imprint has misprinted that Wanter thrice before, so you might want to check out. If you like are a huge fan of the movie, you might want to wait for some reviews because this is not selling out day one guaranteed. Yep YEP. Via Vision seems to be making a thing at a releasing remakes of eighties horror movies and they sell well, mister a fat man, I mean they're gonna keep selling, all right, move in to our next one. Speaking of eighties horror movies, Imprint is re releasing life Force. They had the giant, bigger than a serial box sized Life Force that they'd put out previously. This is a pared down version of that release. It has the exact same four discs, all of the extras are the same. It's got a booklet with it in a hard box release. It doesn't have the posters, it doesn't have all of the other stuff that they had with it, Like I think they had the script in the first release. But this is gonna be significantly cheaper and it's still in print, and that's a good thing. Life Force rules obviously. This is like the fourth limited edition release of life Force, which is a little overkilled. Just keep in mind, territories are a thing. If you've never seen Life Force, is a best time to watch it. It's a great movie. You should watch it.
Speaker 6: I kind of still want the big box. Yeah, yeah, this movie is bonkers. I kind of love it. And what's funny, So this is so friend So a friend of mine and his family they went to the Caribbean and I just had to google it. In Saint Martin, Nick Malley, who did a lot of the makeup and creature.
Speaker 4: Effects for this.
Speaker 6: I think he's on one of the audio commentaries. He has a little museum with his collection, so if you're ever in the Caribbean, checkout. It's literally called the Yoda Guy Movie Experience because he worked on Empire. And my friend told me that, and it's like, I'm pretty sure there were several Yoda guys, but he's one of them. And he has a little shop with props and things on display. Just if you google it, you'll find the page on trip Advisor. You know, it looks pretty cool, but yeah, this movie's insane. And yeah, I know, and you know, I know Screen Factory they didn't I think only the theatrical cuts in four K, but all the other labels.
Speaker 4: And I asked Arrow about that, and I.
Speaker 6: Think it was like, yeah, that took a lot of work to get the the longer cut, you know, up the spec for four K.
Speaker 4: But glad they did it.
Speaker 3: Glad they did it, and now Imprint has it as well. I didn't want to shout out. Paul Berrman says the episode on Imprint cast about Life Forces up now. Glad to be a part of that. Howard s Berger is also on that episode, and it's a long one. They talk about the history of cannon films. Go give it a listen for sure. Stan in our chat says Life Forces very special to me. I don't want to spoil anything, but we'll talk about Life Force later this year. In regards to Stan, at some point, I believe let's carry on. This one's a little frustrating. May nineteenth, here in the US we are getting a BLU ray from Decal of Sarat from last year. Which did you happen to see Serat No? I have not. This is a very wild movie, kind of hard to explain. It's a very sound, heavy movie. But as you can see from the picture, they're only putting this out on a BDR. It's a made on demand burned disc. It's not gonna be up to par with the quality of what you're expecting. It's not gonna be a great disc. Decal's doing it so it was already not gonna be a great disc. But let's be honest. But the bigger thing here is this is being released on four K over in the UK and They're giving it as much attention as they can, and you're not going to get that here in the US. So if you want the best release of this, you can check that out from the UK. I believe that comes out soon. I've got it on pre order because I definitely wanted the best release of that one good movie. Recommend it. I know it's kind of a divisive film. It's a I won't say plotless, but you just kind of have to go. It's very much like a journey film. You got to go on the journey with this one, for sure. All right. Going to our next title, speaking of four K, this is a big deal. In fifth we are getting a four K and Blu ray dual format released from Disney of Alice in Wonderland from nineteen fifty one. This is a beautiful movie and it has never looked as good as this restoration is about to look. I've got linked in the original announcement post of this a restoration demonstration that's on YouTube. Open that up later and go give it a watch. The way that Disney shows what they've done to the animation for this movie, it is just striking what this is about to look like on four K cannot wait to be able to see this. I hope my kids can fall in love with it because it looks beautiful. I've always loved this movie. Are you a Disney animation or Alice in Wonderland fan?
Speaker 6: You know what, we were never a big Disney household growing up, to be honest, And it wasn't you know, it wasn't a political or religious or.
Speaker 4: Anything like that.
Speaker 6: We just ye know, it's more Warner Brothers than Disney. I didn't even see The Lion King, you know, like until I was in college, to be honest. But I mean, anytime Disney reaches into the catalog is cause for celebration. A great you know, I can go on about that, but well, you know, but but no, this looks beautiful.
Speaker 3: We can keep those thoughts locked up on the vault. Yeah, this looks great. The only thing I will say, I I don't know the best way to say that. Like, I don't hate the cover art that they're going with on these newer Disney four k's. I do just kind of wish we had the original poster art and this sort of abstract encapsulation of everything in the film. But this is going to be gorgeous. Again, go check out the restoration demonstration. At some point it looks just beautiful. Next up, man, this is pretty cool. So, speaking of antenna, we are putting on a screening at the Woodstock Film Festival on June twelfth. If you are anywhere near Kingston, New York, please go check this out. We are showing Ferris Buehler the four K Ressation to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of Faris Bueler's Day Off, and to make it special, we are showing the short documentary before this called Oh Yeah. This is about yellow and the very pop culture defining song Oh Yeah from Ferris Bueler's Day Off. It is by Nick Canfield and Nick will be live in person at this film festival to talk about it. There's gonna be an eighties dance party, costume contest, photo booth abe Frohman, the Sausage King will be there. Beyond all of that, we are going to be taking Ferris Bueler's Day Off and the short Oh Yeah across the country to quite a few theaters this June, so be on the lookout for more of these coming. I love that we got to work on this next up coming soon on Blu Ray in the US from Keno Is Till We Meet Again from nineteen forty four with Ray Milland and Barbara Britton, done by Frank PORZEGI never seen this, never heard of this? Is this your type of movie? There, Scott?
Speaker 6: Not really, but having seen him, you know, first time I watched dial m for Murder Rayma Land, It's like, Okay, I get to see more of this guy's movies. Yeah, and then The Big Clock, which he's also in, but yeah, I've not seen this one.
Speaker 3: And yeah, maybe more to your taste. They're doing a four K soon of Orgasmo from nineteen ninety seven. This is the Trey Parker and Matt Stone film. Any thoughts on Orgasmo not?
Speaker 7: You know what.
Speaker 6: I probably saw bits and pieces of it when it aired on like late on HBO one night in the nineties. Yeah, although I might be in the minority. Maybe Kino will do it. If there was ever a four K of basketball that I would pick up on day one.
Speaker 3: I have a feeling they're likely going to follow this up with basketball here soon. I remember liking Orgasmo quite a bit, it being very very nineties cheesy, very Matt Parker or sorry, Trey and Matt comedy if that's your sort of thing. But it also I mean it led to the Book of Mormon. It led to so many other things that we see nowadays. So yeah, very keen. I hope that they do this four K right, because Keino is very hit or miss, especially lately.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: Next up, Jury from nineteen seventy three is coming to Blu Ray from Keno on June sixteenth. This is a new interview with Robbie Benson, who plays Jury in this film. We already talked about Westerns. Any thoughts on Robbie Benson or Jeurry?
Speaker 4: No, No, not really.
Speaker 3: Nice, same here except I clicked away. Let's go through a whole bunch of Kino things. We've got twenty twenty four Suburban Fury coming on DVD. This sounds incredible and it's only coming on DVD. This is coming on June ninth, by the way, So this says it is a gripping portrait of Sarah Jane Moore, a single mother from suburban San Francisco who in nineteen seventy five attempted to assassinate President Gerald four More than a historical retailing, the film is an intimate character study and a chilling mirror of America's ideological divide. Yeah, this sounds great. I kind of feel like I need to see this. I really wish it wasn't DVD only.
Speaker 4: I would totally watch this.
Speaker 6: This is something that would probably you know, in a few months, might be streaming on Canopy. But I also recognized the great Midnight Marauders post artwork being used as well, which's great, absine, I would watch this.
Speaker 3: Next up is twenty twenty six is film Fantasy Life, getting a DVD only released from Keno on June ninth as well, This one with Amanda Pete and it's got Judd Hirsh and Bob Balaban in this one. Matthew Shear is the other star. I'm sure this is not one that you've had a chance to see already this year.
Speaker 6: No, I no, I haven't, but I actually did. This is literally coming back to me right now. I don't even know if they're being used. I actually worked on streaming thumbnails for this movie a year ago, you know, nice, and I have no idea if they're being used or not. But I'm looking at this still like I've seen this before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I first off a little side thing. I know we talked about like the paradox of the crossing the international dateline earlier. It is really weird being contributors and working on all these releases and trying to keep track of the timeline of when did I work on something for this it got announced, when is it coming out? Why don't I have it in my hands yet? And then you realize I worked on this thing two and a half years ago, still hasn't been announced. That's why I don't have it yet or something. It's always crazy when that happens. All right, go ahead, Scott, Oh.
Speaker 6: No, I was just gonna say, you know, I literally still have it all on my external hard drive and yeah, whatever the thumbnails I did aren't that, but you know, different context and have to be designed differently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course. June thirtieth, we're getting a DVD only from Keno of Amram from twenty twenty five as well. It's a Spring of nineteen forty five film, which means, you know, it's got to be about Germany, so yeah, check that out if you're into it. There's a trailer on the disc as well. Next up is Yes, also getting a DVD only release from June ninth. This is a one of international cinema's most fearless and provocative filmmakers. Supposedly that's Nadav Lapid. Never heard of him, so if he's one of the most fearless and provocative, he probably needs better marketing. Check out Yes on TVD on June ninth if you're into that from Keno. Next up last year's Kiss of the Spider Woman. Are you Are you into musicals?
Speaker 5: I can be.
Speaker 6: I'm against them, you know, I mean, I'll watch them, but I don't you know, I don't automatically seek them out, but I don't avoid them either.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I saw this one last year. This is coming on June thirtieth on four K from Keno. This was kind of a shock that they announced this one. Did not expect it. This will have Dolby Vision and it will have Dolby Atmos audio. We'll have a commentary by Bill Condon, the director. Deleted scene and a teaser and trailer. Fairly good movie. I thought it was really well acted, especially by Diego Luna and Tona Tuya who's also in this. Jennifer Lopez taking a leaver not big for me, but it was a fairly decent movie. I still have not seen the original, so I can't really speak much on that next up one that I am dying to see. In HD June twenty third, we're getting number fifty, number fifty and the Keno cult line already, and that's Hell's Highway, The True Story of Highway Safety Films. I cannot wait because I feel like this is right up your alley, Scott, is this something you're interested in?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 6: I would totally I think I just saw this yesterday, but yeah, this is definitely something I would check out too.
Speaker 3: So this has the two thousand and three documentary Hell's Highway The True Story of Highway Safety Films. But for a lot of people, the reason to get this is to a company that they also have three three different drivers ed films here that have all been restored. They've got mechanized death, wheels of tragedy and highways of agony. Love that they're doing this the documentary as a commentary with writer director Brett Wood. We've got the complete two thousand and three pre restoration version, trailers, deleted scenes, lots of stuff here. I love that somebody other than AGFA is putting time and energy into stuff like this, and I've only ever heard complete like adoration for the people that love these.
Speaker 6: Things on The Simpsons when Phil Hartman played Troy McClure in one of his appearances, was you might remember me from such educational videos as Alice's Adventures through the Windshield Glass.
Speaker 4: Yep, that was one of them.
Speaker 3: Absolutely perfect. Yeah, cannot wait to get this. This sounds very exciting. Glad it's coming out June twenty third Blu Ray and then the next one June thirtieth. We are getting number fifty one in the Keno cult line. And this is nineteen eighty nine's Matinee. No, not Joe Dante's Mattinee. This one is very interesting. I don't believe this has had any release in the US, let alone HD or anything like that. This is a nineteen eighty nine meta slasher on the tradition of Fade to Black and popcorn. Mattinee opens with a savage stabbing at a small town cinema, forcing its closure. After two years, the case has gone cold and the Paramount Theater is allowed to reopen, but as the lights go down, tensions rise and the Houston Horror Film Festival once again becomes a deranged Killers cinematic stocking ground. Let's have an audio commentary by Jason Bachonsky and Paul Carupe, which means it's a connexploitation film. Very eager to see this one. Love that they're doing this. We've got Don S. Davis from Twin Peaks in this. We've got William B. Davis from X Files, he played the smoking Man. Yeah, die to see this. This sounds pretty dang fun. Next up, a name you will recognize, Rugierio Dia Dado's Waves of Lust from nineteen seventy five gets its first Blu ray release from Rarero Video on June sixteenth. This will have an audio commentary by Adrian Smith and Rod Barnett, deleted scenes making of doc called Irotic Tsunami, and TV commercials directed buying commented on by Rugerio Diadado. Are you a Dia Dado fan at all?
Speaker 4: It's again also a big gap in my movie going.
Speaker 6: But I've but I've actually been doing the layout for all the RaRo titles, so this is actually one of mine.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: I just will say the image was very low res and required a lot of work, and the title I always try to match the original font when I can. But the yeah, this one's one of mine. They're all pretty I actually just got a new RaRo title today to work on. But yeah, they're all pretty simple. They kind of come in on a semi regular basis, I bet. Yeah, a lot of most of the titles though, were again just another but again it's i'll watch it one days, it'll be new to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to ask, and maybe you don't want to say publicly.
Speaker 5: They do.
Speaker 3: They give you contributor copies when you do layout for something like this for Keto and Rero.
Speaker 4: I haven't gotten any of these. Some labels do, some don't.
Speaker 6: I don't complain, you know, it is what it is that No, I haven't received any of these.
Speaker 3: Actually understandable. I wish they would all right. Next up from Cohen Media Group Eagles of the Republic from twenty twenty five, getting a Blu ray on June twenty third. This says Egypt's most adored actor, George Fami is pressured to star in a film commission by the highest authorities. He reluctantly accepts the role and finds himself thrown in the inner circle of power like a moth. Drawn to the flame, he begins an affair with the mysterious why for the general overseeing the film Cohen Media Group. For those that have never checked out anything from them, quite often, they're they're pretty great. They kind of quietly just release a lot of really good movies. I am always pretty impressed. This one sounds kind of interesting. Definitely an international film I'd love to see.
Speaker 6: I did a couple posters for Cohen actually a couple years ago, but I think one they didn't use, and then the other I sent them my files, and you know, they were great to work with, but I don't know what happened with the movie.
Speaker 4: And then I'm in Barnes and.
Speaker 6: Noble one day and it's like, oh, there it is, so you know, both international shelms. But you know, like you said, you know, sometimes these things take a while or they just disappear and then suddenly reappear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, completely agreed there. Then next Cohen Media putting out their second four K and this is the film Maurice from nineteen eighty seven. This is another merchant Ivory film. It's got an audio commentary by Wade Major and Joseph Bristow, Distinguished Professor of English from UCLA. This is also going to have James Ivory and Pierre Lom on the making of Maurice, Q and A with James Ivory and Pierre lom We got a conversation between James Ivory and the director Tom McCarthy, story of Maurice, conversation with the filmmakers, all kinds of stuff on here. I've not seen this one. It's a James Wilby and Hugh Grant starred films. I've heard this is beautiful. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 4: No, I haven't.
Speaker 3: I need to see it. From what I hear it, it will look amazing in four K. This one another one I'm dying to see. Milestone on June sixteenth, releasing Queen Kelly from nineteen twenty nine. Now, this one is a fascinating till because this was commissioned for nineteen twenty nine, and I am dying to see this one because while it was commissioned for nineteen twenty nine, it was never finished and then later on it has been reconstructed, and the whole story of that just sounds fascinating. Technically, I believe it is nineteen twenty nine, but also a nineteen thirty two film because of how they had to rebuild everything essentially after they weren't able to do the ending on this one. There's multiple audio comment or sorry, one audio commentary on here. Audio clips from a couple of people involved with it. Outtakes, with optional commentary by the film history in Richard Kazarski, and then an intro by Glorious Swanson. Do you know anything about Queen Kelly?
Speaker 4: No, I don't.
Speaker 6: I've actually worked on a couple of Milestone titles for Keino, not this one, but yeah, I am not familiar.
Speaker 4: I am big in this art nouveau style artwork.
Speaker 3: Though, Yeah, very classic type of poster. What titles have you worked on for Milestone? They do a lot of really good stuff.
Speaker 4: Well, I just did not. Oh, the double feature of Grass and Chang.
Speaker 3: That's when I had my eyes on Nice.
Speaker 6: Worked on that one, and I think I only did one more South, a documentary about the Shackleton Expedition. Yeah, okay, it looks like those are the only two for now.
Speaker 3: That makes sense. To go on from merchant Ivory in nineteen twenty nine to the cinematic classic of Leprechaun from nineteen ninety two or three depending on where you saw it. Lionsgate Limited is putting out a replacement disc for the four K, now that in itself is not super uncommon, but really just wanted to highlight the saga of what happened on this replacement disc. We had some people complain that a lot of the tinting in the film on their four K release was bad, just playing yellow. Jennifer Aniston supposedly looked very jaundiced. I didn't purchase this, so I have not seen the disc, But Lionsgate updated their listing for that and said, well, this was approved by the director late last fall, and of course if you pay attention to this, Mark Jones, the director passed away just a few months ago, so there was no way that we could argue with that because Mark is now gone. And then after a lot more feedback, they came back and said, Okay, it's actually wrong. Now we're going to do a replacement disk. So just kind of a weird, messed up situation to essentially blame a dead guy for a mistake and then go back on it. They are sending it automatically for everybody. You don't need to worry about ordering a replacement disk because it was a side exclusive. They know everybody that bought it, So just keep an eye on your mailbox. There will be one coming. Are you Are you a big Leprechaun fan?
Speaker 4: I haven't watched them yet. One day when it's fixed.
Speaker 3: How do you feel, I'm just as an art designer. How do you feel about this cover? Do you see what they were going for here? Because the Leprechaun's behind it, and the coins is meant to look like a face smiling, and it's not like unless you squint and close one eye, it's kind of rough to even see the shape of the face.
Speaker 6: I mean, I see it right, I mean it's even actually more prominent in the smaller thumbnail than the corner of the screen.
Speaker 4: You know. I never want to bad mouth you know, I mean I don't.
Speaker 6: It's fine. And again I haven't seen the film. I'm always more of a stickler. I always try to avoid drop shadows when I can, so seeing the shadow with like under the title, it's like that's something that always gets me. Not specific here, but.
Speaker 4: No, I get I see what they were doing. You know.
Speaker 6: It's also the kind of thing where someone might say, oh, it's not obvious enough, you know, keep going and then pull back and again, no offense to anyone, you know, I like it, but yeah, it's you know, but you you know, fans of the film would probably have a better, better thoughts or an opinion.
Speaker 3: I'm that, yeah, and I agree with you. Like when I look down the corner of my screen for what I'm sharing, it does look like it looks like a mask, genuinely, But when it's just big in the screen like that and you see the whole thing, good gosh, it's not super apparent anyways.
Speaker 6: But I also get and this isn't specific to this, you know, it's like too many gags in one image. So you have the coins in the foreground making a leprechaun face, but then you have the character in the background, and I'm wondering if at some point someone asked, is that too much?
Speaker 4: Is it like a joke?
Speaker 6: Like a joke on a joke almost? And can we get away with just one thing instead of both? Since that's something I always deal with, like, well, we have the skimni key here and this, you know, just when doesn't become too much? And you know, where does the person's attention go?
Speaker 3: And all that The big thing is Lion's Gate is big on their gimmicks, and this is the slip cover for the steel book, so you slip off the gold and the Leprechaun behind it is left on the steel book.
Speaker 6: So I mean, I mean, I would love to work for lion you know, designed for lions Gate at some point too. But having actually now hearing having you said that, hearing you say that, it's like, Okay, I get it, you know, I get what.
Speaker 3: They were going for. Oh yeah, next up, not really my thing, but Sailor Moon Crystal Collection is coming out on June ninth on Blu Ray. Now, as far as I'm aware, this is not the complete collection because it doesn't have I think the movies if I'm remembering right, I don't know much about Sailor Moon. Are you a diehard Sailor Moon fan?
Speaker 4: The girl I had a crush on in high school?
Speaker 3: Wise, full circle, Glad that you had that experience. Hey, the brand new issue of my magazine, The Physical Media Advocate is out now. You can check this out on Amazon or in gosh, like twenty plus stores now and we're in four countries, which is weird to say that you can pick it up in store in four different countries. Frank Zapp on the cover. It's a great issue. I recapp True Falls Film Festival. We talked about Massia of Evil, big piece from Justin beam On, George buck Flower in here. Check it out. It's a great one. Wow, there's a lot of self promotion. I was also on an Issue or Not an Issue, an episode of the Vegan Satanist podcast this week with Laurent Omanzike from Germany. Normally I wouldn't promote just a little podcast appearance all that much, but I'm gotten. I've gotten a lot of messages saying this was kind of an important episode, so check it out if you're keen on it. We go into a lot about like the the therapeutic sides of physical media and collecting and finding a community in this sort of thing, which is why I am really kind of doing everything that I'm doing. So check this out if it's something that you'd like to hear about. Laurent is incredible, and his work with like tracking down films to take them to literally the top portions of the government in Germany to petition them to be able to play in Germany is to be commended far more than I can ever give him credit for but check it out. It's a great issue. I said issue again talking about a magazine. It's an episode. It's fantastic. Will Go USA is putting out a film called The Ugly from last year on May twenty sixth on Blu Ray DVD, and I've heard this. This is rather good. I'm dying to see this one. This has a trailer on there and it says from director Yong Saying Ho, who also did Train to Busan comes a story of generational grief and guilt. While overseeing a documentary crew filming his blind father at work in Don Juan gets a phone call that is missing mother's remains have been found after forty years. Determined to find the truth of her disappearance, Don Juan embarks on a twisted odyssey through his family's traumatic past, uncovering dark secrets along the way. Are you are you paying attention to any modern Asian films like this?
Speaker 6: I'm not really I am digging this cover art though, like that's the kind of stark minimalism that I strive for.
Speaker 4: I must confess.
Speaker 3: I'm really not, though understandable completely get it. I need to see this. I really love Training to Bussan. Did you ever see that one?
Speaker 4: I still haven't.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, got to check it out. It's pretty great, all right. The weekend we got new releases from Air forty four forty four. These are gonna be shipping in either June or July. This first one is City Warriors from nineteen eighty eight, and it says an ex soldier from mainland China arrives in Hong Kong and uses the cover of a tour bus led by a cheerful tour guide to look for as a strange sister. Little does he know his sister has been forced into prostitution by the very man she married. This will have a brand new two K restoration. It will have the two K uncut Cantonese with SD shot inserts, two K Mandarin cut with alternate sequences, new interview with the action director, new visual essay by Invincible Asia. New audio commentary with Kenneth Brorson and Phil Gillen of the podcast on Fire Network. It will have the Cantonese and Mandarin dub audio and English and Chinese subtitles. Limited to two thousand units. We got a double sided slipcover a book with an essay by Tom Cunliffe and three stickers with new art by Justin Coffee. Have you checked out anything from Air forty four.
Speaker 6: I haven't, although every time they make an announcement, it's just God. I want to work for these people when they design something. I mean, I can't do this, but you know, I'm sure I could be of service to them. But yeah, I'm always whenever I do a shameless self promotion post on social media, which I hate doing, I always try to tag them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can try to nudge them towards you. They are great people. I really appreciate what they're doing. And speaking of that, this next one also is in line with that Kung Fu Student from nineteen eighty nine. This one looks just crazy. I believe this is the first time any of these directors' films have been on Blu Ray anywhere in the world. If I think I'm right on that, I need to look it up again. But this is about a down under luck college student with dreams of becoming a as bad ass as Arlod Schwarzenegger and the Terminator or Servester Stallone and Rambo. Soon, her life takes a turn when she inadvertently blocks the reenc nation attempt of a ghostly gangster. Taiwanese action star Alexander low Ray is that gangster. Now stuck together, they must learn to work as one to kick ass and get revenge on the gang members who murdered him. This is a Taiwanese action comedy gem. This will have a new two K restoration, new interview with the actress from it, new visual essay by a friend of the show, Michelle Kisner. The audio commentary with Justin d'clue and Dylan Chung. We got Mandarin, audio, English and Chinese subtitles on this one. A double sided slipcover, a book with an essay by doctor Mighe Ronsley, three stickers with new art by Michael Deforge. And yeah, this looks really fun. I'm very curious to see this one. The art on here is going to be divisive. I can just tell right now a lot of people don't like that style. It looks fun. I'm into it.
Speaker 4: It's definitely the kind of release where.
Speaker 6: You know, if I got a title like this from Arrow to work on where the essay, you know, reading the essays like is an educationational experience because you know, because a lot of it. You know, a lot of gaps in my film watching experience, so you know when I get you know, like certain Asian titles for instance, from Arrow, you know, I devour those essays just as a perspective fan, you know, you learn something.
Speaker 3: Of course, I am all about it.
Speaker 7: God.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we probably could just gone over like favorite booklets instead of audio commentaries, but maybe next time.
Speaker 6: Well, my I will say real quick, my favorite one of my favorite essays for that I've done with Arrow is for Warning from Space. There's an essay in that booklet about the dubbing process, which is just the kind of degree that I'm into. Like, that's still I mean that one came out like five years ago and it's still when I talk about, like, you know, we need to strive for this.
Speaker 3: Absolutely all right, I said I was gonna be talking about Beth Morris again. This is the official reveal of a Beth Morris design poster for Antenna. This is our film, The Man Whom the Trees Loved. It is going to be premiering at the Florida Film Festival here in the next couple of weeks. The trailer was just revealed on YouTube as well. I'm gonna pull that up and play that as part of the show later on tonight, because I think more people should see it. It is a really great trailer. Beth crushed it with this cover. I am so stoked on this. For those that have not heard me talk about this before, this is based on the Algren On Blackwood short story called The Man Whom the Trees Loved And with the design, we really wanted this to look like it was popping off of a page of a book, so the border of it is meant to look like it's actually from a novel. It is such a really great design, and when you see the trailer, hopefully you get the feeling that the film is really trying to capture a little bit more.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll show that trailer in a little bit, but if you're in Florida, please consider going to see the premiere. It looks like a great time. I don't want to put you on the spot, but any thoughts on this Beth Morris poster. I'd love to hear what you think.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 6: I you know when I saw you know, because you know you hired me to do a poster that you know we're not doing that documentary. You know, it's kind of wondering, you know, what's going to be first out of the gate, so to speak. And you know it's always nice when always nice to see it, you know, friend, get you know the gig and no, that does good work.
Speaker 3: I agree, she does just excellent work. Next, this is another one of those frustrating situations. Warner Brothers at some point this year is releasing Mars Attacks on four K. You're expected if you really want this to pre order the steel book even though there's no art. You can pre order a collector's edition from the UK, even though there's no art and no thoughts on special features. Who knows what it's going to have with it, but check it out if you want to spend anywhere from fifty to seventy dollars on a collector's edition. I'm sure that you feel the same as me. Any thoughts on why they wouldn't release art super soon.
Speaker 4: Well I assume.
Speaker 6: I mean they've been doing this, you know, for the last year, just with this Placehold art and with Warner Brothers, you know, artwork wise, it could go either way, to be honest, but I'm just genuinely surprised they're doing this themselves instead of licensing it to Arrow so I can work on it. But it's and it's definitely I'm a huge Burton fan, but it's definitely a movie I wish I liked more than I do.
Speaker 3: I just wish we were able to get a four kividwood instead, but that will likely never happen, all right. Next up, Unearthed Films on July fourteenth is releasing Tetsuo the Bullet Man, not Tetsuoo the Iron Man. This I believe is the third film in the Tetsuo saga. This is the first English friendly Blu Ray release of this, I believe. We got an audio commentary on here with the actor Eric Bossik and Japanese cinema expert Tom mess We got a multi material version of Tetsweel the Bullet Man, photo gallery and trailers. You have you ever seen Tetsweel the Iron Man?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: I have not understandable. I think a lot of people have not seen it. Totally fine. Next up is a Xiangya Mao film that is Red Sorghum coming to Blue Fray Blu Ray from Media OCD Officials Whole Grain Pictures Line. This is from nineteen eighty eight. This is the gong Lee film. This will have a visual essay by Jonathan Clement's interview with Tony Rains and a trailer. I still think it's quite odd that they are releasing this. I really expected somebody like Criterion or even like a Cohen Media to pick up the Jenga Mao films in the US.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I'm I'm just looking at the artwork and again might drop shadows my pet pee for some reason. And it looks like a screenshot. And as someone who does this a lot, often you only have screenshots to work with, so it's always a case of, you know, making it look good and what can you add to it? And I mean, I think this one looks fine, but you know that's always you know, the work I do for shameless films. That's often the challenges here, the pin ADP screenshots go and do the mis you can, just trying to make them look as good and appealing as you can.
Speaker 4: But I'm digging this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh, I love that we're following up Jangya Mao with Rise of the Super Trummets. July fourteenth, Work Trauma is releasing Rise of the Super Trumets. This is from twenty twenty five and it says a mysterious virus is infecting the men of Trumaville. It's up to the female of the Gelante team known as the Super Trumets, to unite and tackle this threat. This is going already for like thirteen dollars on Blu Ray or something like that, so it's got to be a Trauma masterpiece from Trauma. They are also releasing Sugar Cookies on Blu Ray, which is kind of odd because the Vinegar Syndrome Blu ray is still available on their site. I believe it is going out of print, but this is coming on July fourteenth. You can check that out now. I don't believe any of these are new extras. They're all from the Vinegar Cinerama release or even earlier. But glad the movie will still be available for everybody and inexpensive, so that's a good thing. Next up, VCI releasing Poverty Row Classics Volume two. Now. A few months ago we had talked about this, but they have since updated the release of this. It was supposed to come out in May. Now it comes out on July fourteenth, and now they've changed the second film, so they're putting out East Side Kids from nineteen forty and now they're putting out Let's Get Tough, also from nineteen forty. They switched out the second title there. Not sure why, but hey, something must have happened and here we are. Next up Filmmasters on July fourteenth, they're putting out nineteen fifties Destination Moon as part of their special edition line. This is produced by George Pale and it's got restored trailer from a four K scan at full length commentary by Justin Humphries. Making of Destination Moon, a new documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures. Flight to Mars restored trailer, new documentary by bally Who again called Interstellar Travelogs Extended Edition. There's an archival doc by bally Who. This is now multiple times that they've worked on this film. There's a lot here, plus a full color inserted a booklet with the new essay by Sloan to Forest. Have you checked out much from Filmmasters or seen anything from them?
Speaker 4: No? I haven't, but I'm reading the specs and I haven't seen the name.
Speaker 6: The name James van Hyes brings back memories back when they used to do all these unauthorized Star Trek like episode guides and encyclopedias and things like that, and he was all over assuming it's the same guy, like he was all over those. I think before Paramount, I think they cracked down on them at some point. But no, it's definitely this is something I would definitely check out.
Speaker 3: Yeap and explosive Action. You are right they did put out Flight to Mars. I believe that was when they were still the film detective and became the filmmasters. So this is more of like a cobbling together sort of things. But it's a double feed here. It'll be reasonably reasonably so that's a good thing. Next up, a film I had heard is great. I need to see this than Napa Boys from last year's Coming to Blu Ray from Magnolia on May nineteenth. Is supposed to be pretty damn funny. It has no extras on the disc, but looks like a great time. Check out the trailer to see if it's your type of comedy. Next, Invasion USA from nineteen eighty five. This already has a four K in the US, but it is getting a re released Blu ray over in the UK on June twenty ninth. From Final Cut Entertainment. Is that good news? Well, it'll be in print, sure, but this was previously done by eighty eight Films in the UK, and this is not going to be an upgrade in any way. In fact, Final Cut is known for pretty bad discs, so just more more awareness. I guess that they're releasing this, I would hardly recommend. If you love this or Chuck Norris, I definitely recommend the Vinegar SYONDRM release of this film.
Speaker 6: I just hear Chuck Norris's name and I think of Joe Piscopo and Sidecar Chuck Norris.
Speaker 3: And yeah, this cover is not super appealing either. All right, next up, this is funny enough, a very small film in the grand scheme of things this week, but a fairly large deal for people that love this sort of thing. May twenty sixth, Cape Light and MPI are releasing The Round Up Outlaws from twenty seventeen. If you recognize this guy on the cover, that is Don Lee. And this is a big deal because this is the first of the round Up films. Technically, when this was released, it was not called The round Up. I believe it was just called The Outlaws. But this has never had a US Blu Ray release. So this is a big deal. This is one. I believe they've made four of these films now, and this is the first time that the first one is being released on HD here in the US. So check this out if you are keen on Asian action. I'm dying to pick this up. Glad that they're doing it here. I need this. Josh fact check me if you need to. I hope everything I just said was right. I believe that there are four and I believe this is the first time US has gotten a Blu Ray release of this, So check it out. Josh said he had to import a Korean Blu ray of this film. Yikes. Now it is here and you can probably get it for less than twenty three dollars. Next, Magnolia on May twenty sixth is releasing Heal from last year. Now what's interesting is over in the UK. This was previously titled good Boy, and of course the pov Dog horror film from last year was also called good Boy, so they changed the title of this film to Heal. This is from Jan Kamasa. It's a twisted thriller that follows nineteen year old hooligan Tommy played by Anson Boone, who revels in a life of drugs, parties, and violence. One night, on a bender with his reckless friends, he becomes separated from the group and is abducted by an unknown figure played by Stephen Graham. I've heard this great. I need to see this movie. No extras on here. It also has Andrea Risebro who's kind of amazing and everything that she does. Yeah, he'll have you seen this one?
Speaker 4: No? I haven't.
Speaker 3: Me neither dying too. This looks so fun, all right. The show Dark Wind season four is getting an AMC Blu ray on June sixteenth. This will have a handful of special features, just some small featurettes. I have never seen even a second of this film or this show. If you're into it, I'm glad it's still getting Blu ray release.
Speaker 6: My dad watches it, actually nice, nice. It's one of the few new shows he does watch. But no, he's a fan.
Speaker 3: I have heard from people that love it that they really love it, so they must have a very strong fan base of this one, all right. Next up, wanted to shout out an event coming up. Silk Screams is presenting the Buffalo Oh Horror Garage Sale May thirtieth and thirty first in Buffalo, New York. Two days all horror. There's gonna be celebrities, vendors, panels, and movies. They've got eighty plus vendors selling nothing but horror items, and they have cast members from movies like Franken Hooker, Basket Case, Brain Damage, The Stepfather, Popcorn, Class of eighty four, Deadly Eyes, and more. Lots of free parking here. The best part about this entire event. If you go for one day ticket to get in only five bucks. If you get a ticket for the whole weekend, it's a whole eight dollars. What kind of event is only charging five or eight dollars in twenty twenty six to get in. Pretty decent names here too. We got Frank Cannon, Lauder, Patty Mullen, Jill Sholin, Chris la Martin, La Martina from WNUF Halloween. The director is going to be there. If you're into Blu Rays, like pretty much everybody watching this is, you can check out Art Eddinger, who's really great at what he does. Even Michael Felscher's gonna be in there. Check it out. Go up there if you are anywhere close it seems like a good time and for five bucks, I mean, can't really go wrong there. We got some details on eighty eight film's release of Rounders. This is coming to Blu ray on May eleventh. This is still only a Blu ray. A lot of people complaining this is not four K, but all the extras on here. We get an audio commentary with John Dall and some of the screenwriters, and Edward Norton commentary with a handful of professional poker players including Johnny Chan, Phil Hellmuth and Chris Moneymaker and Chris Ferguson. An interview with David Levin and Brian Kopeleman. Buying the Scenes featurette Inside Professional Poker featurette. Are you a Rounders fan again? This one?
Speaker 6: It's been a long time, but I certainly recognize. I think that's Tommy Pocket's artwork, which I recognized from a mile away.
Speaker 3: I really like this art and I got a lot of complaints when I posted this today. I don't know something about it just appeals to me.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, Thomas Walker. No, I'm thinking it too. I like the color scheme. But yes, for the movie, it's been a long time.
Speaker 3: Same I've not seen it in ages. Then we've got he Man and She Rah the Ultimate Collection, coming to DVD only on May twenty sixth. I believe this has all of the legacy features that were on the previous releases and really not much of anything else. I think the biggest thing is that they are all bundled together, and I don't think that had happened previously. And so if you're into these or you want to be able to capture them in the biggest collection, this might be the way to do that. They're clearly timing this to come out with the Masters of the Universe remake that's coming out later this year. Are you, I mean, knowing your age, I feel like these would be tailor made for you or you into.
Speaker 4: This, you know, I'm sure I see.
Speaker 6: I watched a few, but it wasn't part of my regular, you know, Saturday morning, which is why I also always laugh when I watch Ghostbusters two, the opening party scene when the kids, like I thought it was going to be he Man, Yeah, I would have been teen Ghostbusters, but yeah, I would have seen a few.
Speaker 4: It just wasn't, yep, really that big part of my childhood.
Speaker 3: I agree, And yeah, that's that's it. For announcements for this week, just a reminder of what's coming out next week in case you forgot. We've got the Life of Brian four K from Criterion, The Phantom four K from Keno, Lrber Runaway Train four K from Keno, Trouble in Paradise four K from Criterion, Remo Williams on four K from Keno, That Becoming led Zeppelin four K, Steel Book is coming out, Hearts of Darkness, the Making of the Final Friday coming from Red Shirt Pictures, Meet the Fokkers four K, Death Ship four K from Keno, Euphoria four K from Keno as well, Groove from two thousand getting a four K. We've got a couple other smaller titles, like a Traveler's Needs from Cinema Guild. I've heard that I need to see that one team in from I believe that one is a Kenot release. We've got Midwinter Break coming next week as well. Well. And that's about it. Any of these titles that you're after soon. I know I need a Life of Brian.
Speaker 6: Soon, maybe Remo Williams definitely not Fokker's, that's for sure.
Speaker 7: Same.
Speaker 3: I've never even meet the parents. I've never been into any of those for some reason.
Speaker 4: I like the first one didn't finish, the second one never watched. The third one.
Speaker 3: I keep forgetting that there was what was that little Foker's was that the third one? Yikes? All right, before we go into our audio commentary conversation, here is really quick that trailer for the Man Whom the Trees Loved. Let me make this full screen for everybody, gonna play the audio with it and everything. Here we go.
Speaker 5: M hm.
Speaker 7: Hm.
Speaker 8: How was.
Speaker 7: I for walking the wits?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 5: I don't really know how to scrap it. It's like I felt like you will dancy that one feeling more magical.
Speaker 7: Feeling.
Speaker 5: All the trees are like connected and interlace and that sounds kind of funny, but it's kind of like they're all talking to you.
Speaker 7: So fol.
Speaker 5: Hmm.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I remember last time I felt that inspired. That sounds wonder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, check that out at Florida Film Festival the next couple of weeks. It will be a handful of other festivals this year, and then it will come to theaters early twenty twenty seven. That's The Man Whom the Trees Loved by Tevin Dean and Woodra Flapputka. Great film. I hope people love it all right.
Speaker 6: Looks interesting and you know atmosphere, love a movie with atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Lots of atmosphere. And it's a very Florida movie, which is why we premiered at the Florida Film Festival. It was all shot in Florida. And yeah, I hope people love it all right tonight. Audio commentaries, Why why do you like audio commentary? Scott?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, to be fair, they're not all created equal.
Speaker 7: So true.
Speaker 4: You know, when I.
Speaker 6: First started buying DVDs, I think I bought my first player in ninety eight, it just seemed it was something i'd only read about and I was too young to get into laser disc and it was like just the idea of hearing someone talk over a film about how it was made. In fact, it's on the Criterion channel, you know, the out of print stuff. I still need to check out the King Kong commentary, which was I think the first one ever recorded. But yeah, it just seemed like one of those cool things. And you know, you know, and having always been interested in how movies are made, you know, why not.
Speaker 4: But again, some commentaries are.
Speaker 6: Better than others, and the ones that earn my you know, it's kind of a mix of informative and funny ones.
Speaker 3: Right. I chose five because we're doing on five of our favorites, and I chose five all for different reasons. So one of them is specifically because they're super informative, but I've got reasons for all of them. I can't wait to go into it. Let's hear, what is your first one you want to bring up tonight?
Speaker 6: Okay, these are in no particular order, by the way, but I will say Star Trek Generations with Ron Moore and Brannan Baga, which I think there are a couple of bits that were edited on the DVD special edition, but if you have the Blu ray and the four K, everything's accounted for. But having been a Trek fan since I was a kid, since nineteen ninety two, with Next Generation and then Deep Space nine, Voyager, et cetera, the modern shows some more than others. But this one it's super informative, super candid, which I'm surprised, you know some of them, you know, not that they say anything horrible, but yeah, they talk about not just writing the movie but also working on the show, and I think more started in season three Braga and four and they were writing the series finale all good things kind of at the same time as they were writing the movie, and they both kind of come to the realization, you know, damn it, the finale was better because it was their first movie.
Speaker 4: They had all these rules from the studio.
Speaker 6: You know, the original crew can only appear in the opening, and you know, I have to have Klingons in it, and you know, have some data comic relief and so on.
Speaker 4: They were like, yeah, we spent a year on this movie. The finale for the show we wrote in three weeks. You know.
Speaker 6: They talk about some stuff that they were able to do. You know, they talk about just you know, certain sci fi and Star Trek cliches. You know, how come everyone's room on the ship has pictures of space when there's a window right there. You know, the idea of having a counselor on the bridge, and you know, certain things that might they feared would date the show as sort of an eighties relic, you know, talking about working with Shatner, which was very humbling, I guess, and you know the rest of the cast. But no, it's great, very informative, and they also did a commentary for First Contact, but you know, because Generations had so many more issues with that.
Speaker 4: The one for First Contact.
Speaker 6: Was like, yeah, the movie turned out pretty well. Generations is a little more Yeah, we kind of wish we could do this again, or you have another.
Speaker 7: Go at it.
Speaker 3: I've not listened to any Star Trek commentaries, but I can see why they would. I mean, there's, first off, it's one of the most like storiediz as ever. There's so much that's been done, so much legacy to talk about, so much incredible writing. I imagine a lot of them would probably be pretty great.
Speaker 4: Some theres are good, and then the ones with Nicholas Meyer, those are pretty good too.
Speaker 3: Sounds fantastic. The first one I wanted to talk about is the first one that got me into audio commentaries. I feel like that's pretty apt for me. And this is not the first one I heard. I had heard a few and I was like, yeah, I mean, I get the appeal, it's just not my thing. And then I heard this one and it went into overdrive for me. And this is kind of a full circle moment because it's somebody that I truly appreciate and admire in the Field. It's Bill Ackerman and Amanda Reaes on Last House on the Left that was released on Arrow. And this is one of those things where it's not a filmmaker that was involved in the film, but Bill specifically has worshiped Last House on the Left for so long of his life, and it was the title that was lived up to in multiple ways because when he was a child, he wasn't allowed to see it and he was told like, no, you're not allowed to see this one specifically, and eventually got to see it, and then it became this big thing. Then Arrow hired him for this with Amanda, and it is so great. It's just one of those things where it's like somebody that knows almost as much as you could without being directly involved with the film about a film, and it's just a complete encyclopedia of what to know about it, what to feel about it, the critical analysis of it, and it's made so perfectly that it is. It's one of those things that was genuinely inspiring for commentaries. If you've not heard it, it's quite good. I think most people would appreciate it, especially considering what Wes Craven became and what that film was at the time and what he eventually got into after that. It's still wild to me that we get somebody who did Last House on the Left, that did things even like Knightmaron Elstree like you don't really think crazy, like close to being band film to doing like a fairly mainstream slasher and starting a franchise, and those together are just so interesting. It's obviously it's a very I don't want to say troubled film, but it's one of those movies that it's it's sensitive for a lot of people. It's got scenes in that movie that are hard to watch, and the commentary does a really good job in navigating it, and I think it did perfectly to balance the education, the entertainment and the actual critical analysis which it needed. I mean, it's it's that type of movie that calls.
Speaker 7: For it cool. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I have not seen it or listened to it. But my next one, the total opposite of that, Mall Rats with Kevin, which I've been a Kevin Smith fan since high school a friend of when a friend of mine came up to me in the Halloway and said, Hey, there's this movie out called Dogma. I think you'd like it. And I think Clerks had already been on my radar, but you know, watched all of his movies.
Speaker 4: I'm still a fan.
Speaker 6: And yeah, it's just it's Kevin Smith, his producer at the time, Scott Moser, Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, Jason mus and Vincent Pereira, who was sort of their in house historian geek expert, you know, actually, of all those people, like, he's the one where it was like, how does one get to be like him? Like the guy behind the guy almost but it's a riot, you know, between making fun of Kevin Smith's wade at the time or all things Affleck or you know, or a Jeremy London, you know, his his performance they kind of mock now and then in the old the original DVD had a video option as well, which I think it worked with the I think it was seamless branching, so you didn't have to do anything because Dogma had a video commentary, but you had to there would be an icon on the screen and you had to catch it, pressed the button and it was just implemented very awkwardly. But No, Malrats is like one of the classic funny commentaries and they're just giving each other crap for much of it, but Smith, you know, he's still a great grunt contour. And even though I wish Arrow had gotten it so I could work on it, I'm glad Dogmas finally back.
Speaker 4: Saying out purgatory.
Speaker 3: It is one of those that has been I don't remember when that first Blue ray came out. It was like twenty eleven and it went out of print. I don't even think it was in print for like three years. It had to have been maybe like two years that it was available, and so we've been waiting a long time to have it out there again. It is great. Since you did a funny one, I'm gonna go to mine that I chose for funny, and to me, the funniest audio commentary of all time is one of my favorites. Had to go for Tropic Thunder. We got Robert Downey Junior doing an in character commentary and it is I mean, his work in Tropic Thunder is so good, and then it mostly carries over like there's very little downtime that isn't just uproariously funny on this commentary. He nails it. I don't even know what else to say about it. It's just one of those things where it's you know, there's some commentaries that have been legendary for people being in character. I mean, we both showed Spinal Tap earlier. That's got one of the best ones of all time. It's got the whole band doing in character commentary. It's great. It's a very good commentary. I just listened to that one again recently, actually. But Tropic Thunder for funniness, I think it is the best funny commentary maybe ever made. It is so good. Check it out.
Speaker 6: I do have two that I'm calling the funniest, and I haven't listened to that one in so long. I don't even think I did the whole thing, but it works because they mentioned it in the movie.
Speaker 4: I don't have that line. I don't break character till the DVD commentary or something was going to pull up. It would take me too long.
Speaker 6: A photo of me and Kevin Smith at the Orlando Mega Con in two thousand and two. Nice, but I yeah, but I'll do. I'll do a funny one then, and then I've got a serious one and then a funny one.
Speaker 4: The Kentucky Fried movie good one. I don't know if it's still on there now. It was actually on to be streaming the commentary.
Speaker 3: Oh nice.
Speaker 4: So you have John Landis, Robert K.
Speaker 6: Wise, the producer, David and Jerry Zucker and Jim Abrams Rest in Peace. And I think the old Anchor Bay DVD even had a photo of the recording session where it's just the five five of them, you know, sitting on a couch. It's a riot from the beginning. And you know, Landis has only done a couple of commentaries himself, but it's funny, you know, they kind of all give their origin stories. You know, Landis had Doun Schlock, The Suckers had Kentucky Fry Theater, first in Wisconsin and then in la. You know, at some point, you know, you know, they're like, okay, movies halfway done, can we go home now?
Speaker 4: And Robert K.
Speaker 6: Weiss tells a story of there's the segment in the movie a fist full of yen and Weiss tells a story you know, the lawyer. We showed this to the lawyer who said it was unreleasable, and then we asked the financial guy what do we do when he said, get different lawyers. But yeah, that one, that one makes me laugh this day.
Speaker 3: It's up there. It's a very very good one. Not enough people talk about Kentucky Fried movie in twenty twenty six. It's still great.
Speaker 6: Some of the segments are better than others. It does take its time a little bit. In fact, even they even make fun of it. Twenty minutes in they're like, is there a point where the movie kicked in.
Speaker 4: At all? And Robert Weiss is like, did we scare away the profit participation yet?
Speaker 3: And well, you mentioned them hanging out sitting on a couch, So I'm gonna do my hangout choice, which a lot of times these are really great because it feels like one of those commentaries where you're like welcomed into the fold in a way. It's just sort of you just chilling with a bunch of friends. And my go to for this is any John Carpenter or Kurt Russell joint, which I was very close to choosing Big Trouble in Little China because it's a really good one as well, but I kind of had to go for the cliche answer and say I think the thing is the best one. With them, it's literally just them chilling on a couch together. They both have some beers during the whole time, and it's just like, h man, you remember this and it just hanging out like talking about shit in a way that is just so again like welcoming, Like you could just see you and three other friends sitting on the couch and do this exact same thing. It is absolutely worth it. The film itself is not getting super analyzed. It's not going to give you all kinds of deep insight, but it's John fricking Carpenter and Kurt Russell and it's just a blast to be able to listen to. I really hope more people we'll have listened to it now that it's been around for so long. I also, like, I know he's getting old, but I'd love to get some updated John Carpenter thoughts on some of these things. Sure, I know you just want to smoke weed and play video games, but come on, man, we all still worship you the thing. Check it out if you haven't. It's it's a great commentary.
Speaker 4: And I almost went I went from like zero to one hundred with Carpenter. I'd already.
Speaker 6: I mean, we all love Big Trouble in Little China, but a lot of his films I watched only for the first or maybe second time during COVID lockdown, which is why for Arrow, when I got in the Mouth of Madness. You know, that one's kind to become my favorite. Yeah, so that was a treat, you know, to be able to work on that one. And we'll be talking about how very cool. We'll be talking about Kurt Russell again in a few minutes. But I want to mention Terry Gilliams Brazil commentary. Oh nice now, And I remember when I was younger reading about this legendary laser disc boxet that Criterion released, and then to get into this stuff later. And by the way, I should out in my family, we rarely have ever bought movies. My parents didn't see the point. It'll just be on TV. Ironic considering what I do now. But you know I had the three disc you know, the DVD set, and then the Blu ray, now the four K.
Speaker 7: But no.
Speaker 6: Gilliam's commentary beginning to end, talks about everything and Brazil. It's one of those movies where if I'm in a bit of a creative rut, like I'll just watch that movie or behind the scenes or whatever, and like that will inspire me that and I think Blade Runner is probably the other one where even though I'm making movies, just seeing it and taking in the craft and artistry, it's like, yeah, you know, it helps.
Speaker 3: Shamefully, I'm still very behind on watching a lot of Gilliam's things, let alone, I've never heard any of his commentaries. I definitely need to. That sounds fantastic and Brazil just beautiful obviously to look at it. That's the big thing. Yeah, all right, my uh my next one, I'm gonna talk about one that is gonna sound maybe slightly masturbatory. It's not my commentary, but I hired the two guys to do this and it has become one of my favorites. And I got to talk about a deaf crocodile release because Inflatable Sex do all of the Wastelands that came out last year. I really loved this commentary. It's Mike Leader in art of Venema, And the main reason I loved it is because when I saw what the film was gonna be and that Craig and Dennis were looking for a commentary, I felt like they would be perfect for it, which is odd because they really only ever talked about action films and like martial arts films and a lot of Hong Kong films, and so they've not had a chance with a lot of things like this. And it is such a dense commentary that it's it's one of those that's kind of hard to even ingest everything that's a part of it. Like while editing a portion of the transcript and all that, I had to pause just to catch up with what was being said, like if I was genuinely going through it. The notes that you can get from this commentary it is crazy. It's kind of an example of just finding the right person for a commentary, which is why I wanted to choose this one, because you wouldn't think to hire these guys for it. But I knew that Arna Venima specifically wanted to branch out from the action things and this one was perfect for him and inflatable sex. All the Wastelands is so odd because the title is in the original title in English is Dutch Wife of the Desert, and Arna I believe is Dutch himself. But the the pink film aspect of this film is so overblown that people have stayed away from this movie. And I knew that he was going to crush this commentary, and it's just so it's so educational through and through and Arna and Mike and like Frank Jang and a couple of these others that are doing these modern Asian releases specifically are really great at like spiderwebbing these connections across all of Asian film history, and this commentary specifically is just a massive cop web of they did this and this and this together and because of their connections here, they were able to do that. And it's it's just it's mystifying how much they know about it. It's so properly researched. It is great. It is dense, though it is very hard to even grasp everything. You might want to pause a couple times, especially if you're taking notes. Check it out. It's a killer commentary.
Speaker 6: And finally, yeah, I did four for five. Speaking of Kurt Russell, for me, the funniest commentary used cars.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a great one.
Speaker 6: It's him, Bob, Gail, Robert Zemeckis. I mean, the commentary literally starts with Kurt Russell just laughing, yeah, and we go from there. It's a riot. You know, they talk about the actors, they talk about you know, Spielberg and Millius and you know, roads not taken and you know, and it's weird to hear like people like your heroes not you know, like Zamechas and like people like them cursing because you know, at least you know for a while like were you know, Back to the Future. You know, which are more or less you know, family movies, but you know, just to hear these guys like drop f bombs and things like that.
Speaker 4: But it's a riot. Kurt Russell's laughter is infectious. You know, there's some bits where you know they can't stop laughing. Bob Gail did a home theater forum chat years ago, probably for the DVD release it Back to the Future, and I just mentioned whatever my question was, and I mentioned this commentary to him and he said, you know that, Yeah, that was fun.
Speaker 6: As John Millius might say, we achieved critical mass. But they talk about the crazy stunt with Garrett Graham where he's walking backwards and a car passes within a.
Speaker 4: Photo of him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Mecas is like, you know, I could feel my scrotum shriveling up when.
Speaker 4: I see this shot. You know.
Speaker 6: Of course, he points out, today so much stuff would be done you know, with computer with the CGI. But there's a bit you know, when I lived in La on the regular, when I was getting the design career go and I worked as an extra on TV. I'm actually sag eligible and you know, it's like, you need to populate a scene. If you don't, then it looks empty or cheap or whatever. And there's a trial scene at the end of Used Cars where I think, you know, she's Debrah Harmon's character is getting sued because you know, she promised a certain number of cars on the lot or something. And then Kurt Russell shows up and on the commentary, Kurt Russell's like, I love, I love how the courthouse is packed for this nothing case, and it's like, well, you have to. If you didn't, it would look incomplete. It's just one of those movie things, you know. That commentary is an absolute riot, And yeah it's and actually the one for I Want to Hold your Hand that Gallon's and Mechas and that one's pretty funny too. But yeah, I'm always usually the commentary is that the commentary is the one feature where I'm disappointed when there isn't one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but then again, you know, some better than others.
Speaker 6: You know, not everyone suited for a commentary, but you know, if it's a good one, it's you know, I go back to these things. And plus is someone who works you know, I work remotely, but you know I'm sitting in a room. It's always nice, you know, have background noise too. Yeah, I always need something playing in the background.
Speaker 3: Used Cars is great and so few people have even seen it nowadays. Please go watch Use Cars if you've not seen it, It's fantastic. This is such a funny one to end this episode on. So I've been working on a release for the last couple of years with will on a lot. I don't even know when it's gonna announced, hopefully later this year or early next year at some point. But as part of that we got to work with kind of legendary producer, director, writer fred Olin Ray. And while thinking about our topic this week, I went, you know, one of my favorite things ever is the Fred Olinray commentary on Jacko. Have you ever heard about this?
Speaker 4: Scut No, I haven't so.
Speaker 3: Jacko is a wild, low budget horror movie and the director of this one is a guy named Steve Latshaw, and this commentary is like cringe comedy at the highest. So basically the commentary is the director and executive producer Fred ollen Ray is starting off what sounds like sort of contentious. They're already not on the same page. There's disagreements on who has done what, on what was altered, on why things were poorly executed, And I don't even think We're halfway through the commentary and there's like a full blown fight and one of them stands up and walks out, and it is awkward. It's like, first off, how did this get to the disc But second it is just one of those things where you're like, man, I like, it's really great that this is archived in a way that we can hear the things that happen behind the scenes for these things. It is a fun film. It's a it's not a great movie, but it's it's a very fun movie. It's an entertaining movie. The commentary though, very entertaining. If you've never heard it, go give it a listen. I think there are clips of like the most contentious parts on YouTube. Jacko is Wild and if you've never seen it, it is such a B movie, classic type of moment that everybody should hear it.
Speaker 7: At least once.
Speaker 6: Well, isn't there Oh, I haven't listened to it, the Soderberg Lemon Hobs, Climber and Limey. Isn't that kind of you know? And also wasn't there a isn't there a Mickey Rooney commentary one on a Twilight Zone where like he just doesn't say anything, or the moderators asking questions, he's not giving them anything, something like something like that.
Speaker 3: Would not surprise me.
Speaker 6: I uh good, No, just I remember when when Keno having talking about Get Smart now coming full circle when Keno announced the Nude Bomb, everyone in the comments was like, you got to get Alan Spencer, and then they actually delayed the release and brought an Alan Spencer. And his commentary is excellent. He does not miss a beat. It's ninety minutes straight. It's like a Get Smart film school. Almost. Yeah, and highly recommend it even if you're not a fan of Get Smart or the Nude Bomb, which is not a great movie. But Spencer, he almost liked the movie more because he talks about it.
Speaker 3: Right. I'm moderate, well not moderated. I helped facilitate a commentary fairly recently for a pretty long film and what was crazy to me is the director. I don't know if he forgot things because he seemed so knowledgeable about certain things, but he would go long stretches like twenty five minutes, and all you hear on the track is just brief think Anyways, I'm still kind of curious to see how that goes to disc. If it goes to disc, like optional scene commentary would make sense for that one. I'm not sure what they're gonna do anyways. That is it the big like moral of the story tonight. Go listen to audio commentaries. They are really great. They're really valuable. Many of the ones that we have not talked about are big ones like Bogdanovic commentaries are film school literally.
Speaker 6: I also would have mentioned the James Cameron and Company on Aliens as a great commentary, but that's one where you know, I almost wish I would love to hear the separate track with just Cameron himself solo talking about it.
Speaker 3: I will say it was kind of poignant. I just did a podcast episode recently. That's why I had spinal Tap close by. We did a podcast episode on the other commentary on spinal Tap, not the in character one, but talking about Rob Reiner and a couple ofcers and stuff. So many of these commentaries are important for reasons that I really kind of captured with because we don't know when we're going to lose Rob Reiner, we don't know when we're going to lose fred Olin Ray. Even though it's a silly kind of cringe moment, so many of these things are capturing filmmaker's voices that you won't get a chance to hear this way, so personal, so sort of sort of vulnerable. A lot of these commentaries are like, yeah, I did this wrong. I would have done this this way if I had known at the time, or something like that. And listening to Rob Reiner talk about spinal tap just a couple months after his passing, it was tough. I mean, he is a legend in so many different ways. And yeah, I adore that commentary. Adore Rob Reiner. Yeah, listen to commentaries, They're important. Scott, this has been amazing. Thanks for having out tonight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm happy to hope to get to do it again. And I just have to think of another topic to cover, but no, it's been a blast. Hope folks have enjoyed this. It's a quarter after midnight, so probably going to bed soon. No, this was a blast and I look forward to working with you again soon.
Speaker 3: We can't wait to get it done either. I am dying. In fact, I got a couple things that we can probably meet on here soon. On that note, thank you all for hanging out this week. Next week we got a fun show planned, gonna be a good one. Excited to be homes that I got good internet for this every time, Scott jrmench and we'll talk sooner. Everybody see you. Thank you for watching The Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 9: This is Matt and Emily from Scarecrow Video in Seattle, Washington. Did you know that we have the largest video collection in the world. We have over one hundred and forty six thousand titles and growing. That's over three times more than Netflix, Amazon Max, and Hulu combined.
Speaker 3: Plus a.
Speaker 8: Scarecrow now offers rent by mail service throughout the US, so check out Scarecrow Video dot org for details. You can catch Emily and I or Matt and I if that was going to be you saying that on our biweekly YouTube show Viva Physical Media for video recommendations and so much more See Yah Bye.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 10: My name is Kevin Tutor, and I'm one of the three hosts of Almost Major Film podcast, dissecting many major indie studio and the films they release. Every week, Myself, Charlie Nash, and Brydon Doyle discuss overlooked, forgotten or bona fide classic indie films via studio specific mini series. We've previously covered numerous films from Artists and Entertainment, Lionsgate films and New Line Cinema titles, including The Blair Witch Project, American Psycho, Dogville, But I'm a Cheerleader, Saw Recording for a Dream, and Ring Master you know, the Jerry Springer film. Anyways, we have a fun time every week and we hope you will join us. Subscribe to Almost Major wherever you get your podcasts now proudly a part of the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network. Please select the link in the description