Speaker 1: Hello everybody, welcome to the Buckeye Weekly Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Tony Gerdeman, here as always with Tom O'Rourke. How's it going?
Speaker 3: Tony, get to... First of all, I was just thinking, we have so much more time before the season starts. And I thought, no, no, no. We have one more Saturday of not football and then a whole bunch of Saturdays of football in a row, which is good. Just to be clear, my position on football remains good. It's just like, boy, there's a lot of stuff we got to do in the 14 or give or take days between now and Yes.
Speaker 2: High school football has started. School is back going. There's already bus shortages in central Ohio. It's here. Fall is here. Welcome, everybody. On the last show, previous show that we did, we talked about how deep Ohio State is going to go on offense in terms of each position and the bigger games. That way you know what the actual true rotation is and who's good enough to, who's trusted enough to play, who is game ready, as Urban Meyer would say. So Now we're going to give that same treatment to the defensive side of the ball. Basically, who's going to be out there against Texas? Who's going to be out there at Iowa against USC? And really, as the season goes on, the names will, I think, kind of change. But initially, say the first month of the season, who's going to be out there regularly, Tom? And I'm asking you, defensive ends. Because I feel like, hmm. I think we're going to see quite a few, but I think it's going to be a smaller group against Texas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a really interesting group because you go back over the years and for example, 2023, when they were playing at Notre Dame, it was just JT Tumalo and Jack Sawyer at defensive end all game long. Now that's not what they would prefer to do, but if they feel that the ones are way ahead of where the twos are, that's what they might do. I don't, I'm certainly not expecting that this year. Cause I don't think, you know, I think you've got Kenyatta Jackson and I don't think you have anyone else who you're looking at as like, so head and shoulders above everyone else that you're not going to play.
Speaker 2: With behind them.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to say, I'm going to say four people at defensive end for these, for these big games. I think that number could go as high as six. Cause I think, you know, if you look at the whole group, Kenyatta Jackson, Bo Atkinson, Kwee Russo, Zion Grady, Epi Satonale. I think there's a possibility that Kari Wilder gets into that conversation at some point, but it's probably not right away. And I'm certainly not expecting to see him against Texas. But I think you could get up to six at some point. But right now, I think you're going to see three. You're going to see, for sure, Kenyatta Jackson, Bo Atkins, and Kwee Russo. I'm certainly expecting to see Epi Satonele and Zion Grady some as well. But, you know, I think that sort of four-ish range is probably about right for the start of the season.
Speaker 2: I think this one is very, very interesting. Just looking back last year, four defensive ends played against Texas. Caden Curry, Kenyatta Jackson, Bo Atkinson, and C.J. Hicks. Zion Grady did not play. Joshua Mickens, no Logan George, no Epi Satonale, no Dominic Kirks. But am I ready to say that Epi Satonale is not going to play against Texas? I'm not. Would it shock me if he doesn't? Not necessarily. Would it shock me if Kyrie Wilder doesn't?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: So, like, yes on Kenyatta Jackson. Yes on Bo Atkinson. Yes on Kwee Russo. for the situational aspect. And then, yeah, like, boy, if Zion Grady's going to play, why not Epi Satonale? And vice versa. So I think there will be, I'm going to say five, and I'm not going to lock in on which five, but I think there will be times where, hey, whether it's three snaps, one snap, or two, like, I know we're talking about rotational and two or three snaps against Texas is rotational against everybody else. So I will lock in and say five defensive ends. And if I'm wondering, like, how possible, Tom, how shocked would you be if it is six? Because then you're just talking Zion, Grady, Kari Wilder, and Epi Satonale all get in. It's not. but I'm going to say no, but possible.
Speaker 3: If you're setting the over-under at 5.5, I'm probably taking the under there. Is it possible that you get two or three of them in there, four or three snaps, five snaps, something like that? Yeah, absolutely, that's possible. And if you have guys in there for just a handful of snaps, then that's when it becomes more likely that you do. If it's, you know, there's four guys and they're all getting 30 snaps, okay, that chews up a lot of the snaps. if you feel like, okay, you're sort of just situationally shoving guys in. And we also don't know how many different personnel packages are they going to have because we've heard about them in a 3-3-5. We've heard about them in a 4-3. We've heard about them in a 4-2-5. And is Quay Roussel going to be sort of like an overhang defender and he's not one of the four guys? Or is he going to be one of the four? There's a bunch of different variables here that we're sort of trying to sort out. But yeah, I think five is an absolutely reasonable number for the, you know, for, for the Texas game in terms of guys having at least a handful of snaps.
Speaker 2: Defensive tackle. Jarquez Carter got three snaps last year against Texas. Jason Moore, none. Eric Minson, Trajan Odom, none, but they played four, actually five, including Jarquez Carter. When they've got five veterans, is it going to shock me if Jason Moore plays in this game as that fifth guy?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I think, I think this is another situation where, you know, how many defensive ends are taking defensive tackle snaps? So I think last year, if they were able to play five with Cade McDonald being not Cade McDonald at that point, but I think they, boy, Tom, I'm going to set the over-under at four and a half.
Speaker 3: I'll go over that because, you know, the four is easy. It's James Smith and Edward Houston and Will Smith Jr. and John Walker. So that's, that's the easy four. And I, I think they're going to play Jason more, at least some this year, because you're going to have, you're going to have times when, you know, first of all, it's going to be like 90 degrees and 90% humidity. So I think you're going to want to keep those guys fresh. And, you know, is it possible that you get someone like a Jameer Perez who just is just different enough from everyone else that, there might be a situation where it's like, well, you got to get him in because there's no one else who's as big as he is or whatever.
Speaker 2: Fourth and one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fourth and one kind of situations. Yeah, absolutely possible. But yeah, I think I will go over four and a half and say that Jason Moore does play five, 10 snaps at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thinking it's five defensive tackles in that game. So then we move to linebackers. We've been talking all along that it's going to be a solid four with Peyton Pierce and Christian Allegro and Riley Pettyjohn and TJ Alford, I can see, I expect to see all four of those guys playing against Texas. If they don't, then, I mean, again, that tells you that they have a three that they really like, and then the fourth guy can mix in in maybe other games. I do think we will see four, and just looking really quickly, There was only three that played last year, Sonny Stiles, Arvel Reese, and Peyton Pierce. No Riley Pettyjohn or T.J. Alford or Garrett Stover. But I think this year, four. And the real question for me is, can they go beyond that? I don't think they need to. I don't think they will, at least on purpose, they won't. Something would have to happen before they go over four, in my opinion.
Speaker 3: That's about where I would have the line as well. Cause I think, you know, we, we have heard a bunch of good stuff about Eli Lee this year, but I don't think you want to be playing five linebackers when you're going to be in a four to five for a good bit at a time where you're not, you know, you're not going to be playing three linebackers at a time. So if you're at four, you know, if you're in a four to five playing four guys is, you know, basically two platoons. And obviously you're going to be in a four, three Selman. You're going to have, you're going to have plenty of opportunities for those guys to play. But yeah, I, I don't expect, you know, last year, Riley, Petty John, TJ, Alfred not playing. That doesn't surprise me. They were true freshmen in their first games. I think the only true freshmen who saw on defense last year in game one against Texas with Devin Sanchez. But now those guys are sophomores. I think you're going to see Petty John. I think you're going to see Alfred. I know you're going to see Allegro. I know you're going to see Peyton Pierce. So I think four is a good number there. And I think you're going to have three of those guys at least with 20 snaps at least, you know, I think, I, right now if you're you know gun to my head I'm saying Peyton Pierce Christian Allegro 40 snaps 50 snaps you know whatever the number is a lot of snaps for those two guys 20 or so for Riley Pettyjohn and probably you know five to ten for TJ Alford something like that okay.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about trying to figure out how to do this with corners, just outside corners. I think the number is, it's two or three. It's Jermaine Matthews and Devin Sanchez and can dominate Kelly. Is he to that point now where he is going to play? And I almost feel like this depends on how well the two corners are playing. If they're playing well, you don't necessarily want to mix things up. But as you just reminded me, it's going to be really hot. And now it's still going to be night, but we're from Ohio. Like, I know Devin Sanchez doesn't, but the rest of us. And I know Dominic Kelly isn't, but the rest of us. No, I think you would like to be able to get a third guy in there for that. And again, if they can play against Texas, if they do play against Texas, I expect them to play every other game as well. We have not seen a ton from Dominic Kelly since, well, we haven't seen anything since the first three practices. I've never really heard much either. We know he's working with the ones and twos. I don't think that continues. Do you think this number reaches three against Texas?
Speaker 3: I think the default answer is going to be keep it at two unless you need to. And the situation may dictate that you need to. But everything we are hearing about Devin Sanchez has been very, very positive this month. Very, very positive. I think you want to keep him on the field as much as you can. Jermaine Matthews is a proven veteran senior. He's been very, very good. I think he's going to hold up pretty well. And I think they're going to stay, you know, some of this depends on does Jay Timmons, you know, do they feel that Dominic Kelly is better than Jay Timmons and then you end up taking Jermaine Matthews and slotting him into the nickel or something like that? Possible. But I think if they had their druthers, they would probably right now keep Jermaine Matthews and Devin Sanchez on the field as much as they possibly can.
Speaker 2: I think you could see when they go dime, maybe Jermaine Matthews is the other slot guy and Dominic Kelly comes in. I think that's one way we can say, okay, there's that. Before we get to the nickel, you could also have, with this whole, all of these, the dime linebacker, the dime DB linebacker, Maybe the dime, we'll say, will go too deep with maybe Jermaine Matthews and maybe Simeon Caldwell, the safety as that dime linebacker. Nickel, it's Jay Timmons, and whether that's– I wouldn't expect– again, this is when it gets all kind of wonky with the packaging. He's the number one nickel. He's not rotating with anybody other than when the packages change him in and out. We would agree with that. Tom, safeties, what are you expecting? Can they get three safeties out there and just a non-dime, just typical, okay, let's rotate Jalen McClain, let's rotate Earl Little out? Because I don't know that I see that right now. I don't see that right now.
Speaker 3: No, I think right now, based on what we're hearing and what we've seen so far this fall, I am expecting this to be Earl Little and Jalen McClain. And maybe you get Terry Moore out there for a handful of snaps. Maybe you get Leroy Roker out there for a handful of snaps, but I think the odds are that happened. That's more likely to happen in a dime situation, which we're sort of, you know, we're sort of setting that to the side right now, because there's a lot of possible answers in terms of how they're going to configure that. And that's one of those things they were trying to sort of nail down over the last few days to figure out where, you know, situationally, where do all the different pieces fit together? So, We may have a better sense for that later on this week. But right now, I would say, similar to the outside corners, if it's up to them, if everyone is able to hold up physically in terms of the amount of snaps and the weather and everything else, I think they would prefer to have just those two safeties out there.
Speaker 2: Yep, I would agree. Do you guys agree, if you're watching? Have we missed anybody? Do you think they're going to go deeper on defense than we are talking about? Go ahead and throw your comments in. in there and we'll take a look at those. Feedback is always welcome. Even the negative feedback, Tom, I've seen a couple. And does it hurt? Of course. Do I let it bother me? Of course. But no. As long as you're watching and subscribing, I almost don't care. But, you know, feedback is always welcome. Five-star rating review on the audio side, always welcome. And the most welcome, Tom, come join us over at BuckeyeInsiders.com. Thank you so much for those of you who have. I know say this on a lot of the shows, you know, come see us, come see us. Thank you guys for, thank you for those of you who have. And of course we welcome certainly anybody that would like to, to join us over at BuckeyeInsiders.com. That will do it for today. Thank you all for tuning in and we'll talk to you all later.
Speaker 1: Love, this time, can what I feel be real?
Speaker 3: Well, she threw away the motel key. I wish it never meant nothing to me.
Speaker 1: Say you will, now say you will. Oh, yeah. Say you will, now say you will. If you tell me that Des Moines's alright, we could steal a car and leave tonight.