Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It's five o'clock. Time to get your day started. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, October second. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. As I say on many mornings, gosh, we got a lot to get to today, but gosh, we got a lot to get to today. So I'm glad you're here and getting your day started with us. Did you watch the debate? As you have heard me say before, I'm a junkie these kinds of things. I love to watch these things. And even though it widely is accepted that the vice presidential debate doesn't have that much of an impact, because there are so few I want to see and I want to hear, and I think that my takeaway from the debate last night, we'll get into it more, was that it was mostly civil, which was a nice change. It was incredibly informative, which was good. I think that Walls looked like a deer in the headlights at the start, but then I think he kind of caught his stride and I think he had some good points, and I thought it was very interesting between Tim Walls and JD. Van said, they go, you know, I kind of agree with you on that. You know, I kind of agree with you on that, but then they, you know, veer back off and to make their points. I think Vance came across as cool and calm and had lots of information and fact checked the fact checkers, which I thought was a very interesting point. And I can't even remember what he was talking about. But they said, do you have any evidence of that? He said, actually I do, and it's from this department, and we'll put it up on X. And after the debate they put the report up on X. It had to do with housing, but it was super interesting, and like I said, I think that it was civil and that was nice to see. Here's what's ahead. On wake up Call. A red flag warning for high fire danger is in effect for the western San Gabriel Mountains the five and fourteen freeway corridors. The National Weather Services to expect highes up to one hundred and six degrees and win gusts up to thirty five miles per hour, along with low humidity. Those factors mean any fire could quickly become a major wildfire. Iran has warned Israel against responding to its missile attack. In a post on X, the Iranian mission to the UN said if Israel responds, a crushing response will follow. We're going to check in with ABC's Jerdonna Miller get the latest from Israel, and also I'm looking forward to talking to her and unfortunately hearing her person perspective on what happened because she had to go into a bomb shelter yesterday. I Ammy nominated actor John Amos has died. His rep says he died of natural causes. In August. Amos starred as the older Kunta Kinte in Roots. He also had roles on the Mary Tyler Moore show, West Wing, Good Times, and of course Coming to America. His son says Amos was a man with the kindest heart, with many fans considering him their TV father. John Amos was eighty four. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Democratic Governor Tim Walls and Republican Senator J. D. Vance have met for the first and only vice presidential debate this election cycle. They were civil toward each other, as I mentioned, for most of the debate, even though they disagreed on a lot of issues, one of them is democracy. Vance says censorship is a threat to democracy.
Speaker 4: It's big technology companies silencing their fellow citizens, and it's Kamala Harris saying that rather than debate and persuade her fellow Americans, she'd liked sensor people who engage in misinformation.
Speaker 1: Walls says people hear what a president says, and what Trump said after the twenty twenty election has caused current divisiveness to.
Speaker 5: Deny what happened on January sixth, the first time in American history that a president or anyone tried to overturn a fair election and the peaceful transfer of power. And here we are four years later in the same boat.
Speaker 1: It's not clear what effect the debate might have on the November election. Senior elections analyst at five point thirty eight Jeffrey Skelley says the race between Vice President Harris and former President Trump is very close.
Speaker 6: It is looking like a race that could potentially be decided by one state.
Speaker 1: There's always a tipping point stage, whether it's a close election or a landslide. Historically, vice presidential debates haven't had a huge impact on the presidential race, but Skelley said last night's matchup could have an outsized impact because the race is so close. Ellie County health officials are warning people not to get away from the heat by going to certain in beaches. They say high bacteria levels at nine area beaches exceed health standards. Those beaches include Venice Beach, Marina del Rey, Paradise Cove, San Pedro, Santa Monica Pier, to Panga Canyon Beach in Malibu, and the Manhattan Beach Pier. The Department of Public Houses people should not swim, surf, or play in the water in those areas. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jordanah Miller in Jerusalem. Iran has launched at least one hundred and eighty missiles into Israel. They were launched into several areas of the country, including where you were. So before we talk more about it, I want to talk to you about what you had to do when the sirens rang out yesterday.
Speaker 7: It was pretty scary. Though I do have to say we had about a two hour warning from the government and the army that the United States had picked up warning signs that Iran was going to launch something. So we were told two hours before to get our you know, to be prepared, to go into the safe room, to have it ready, to stay in there, and we were told it was going to be an extensive strike and we might have to spend some time in there. It wouldn't be the normal go in and leave ten minutes later, and we had to stay in there and wait for a notice from the army to leave. So, you know, I think we people were kind of in their head prepared a little bit. Two hours doesn't sound like a lot of time, but in wartime that's a lot. So on my phone at about seven forty five it started to sirens went off from my phone and the Israeli Army's new alert system, and I took my one and a half year old, who is just about to fall asleep, and my four year old and the nanny. We all went into a safe room that has been you know, stocked and prepared really for most of this war, and we just stayed in there, you know, Thank God, for the iPad turned up those cartoons, you know, drained out the sirens from outside, and it drained out the explosions of the interceptions. I mean, you know, I heard, we heard I would say, fifteen or twenty interceptions and they were pretty you know, they were pretty loud. And that's more than I heard the last strike back in April. In April, I heard maybe five. So you know, this strike there were fewer launches. Right last time, Aron struck with three hundred and fifty, three hundred and thirty cruise missiles, drones and ballistic missiles. This time it was about two hundred, but they were all ballistic missiles with you know, a shorter, shorter launch to target time right there about, which is about twelve minutes, and there were several waves of those, and they're more powerful. So you know, actually this strike was a more intense strike than the one in April in terms of you know, deaths. There was one Palestinian killed in Jericho from what looks like a direct hit from either a rocket, a missal, or from shrapnel. That was a great tragedy on the Israeli side. There were several people injured from shrapnel, but no one killed, no soldiers and no civilians. People really listened to the orders, and Angel of course knew Aroma was going to target certain military bases and those were evacuated, so nobody was killed there. The Army said there was some damage to a few military bases, but nothing that would impair operations and nothing that you know, knocked out systems. They were what they're calling, you know, there was administrative building hit in one base. It does look like the missile of this time hit. Last time they only hit one base in the outskirts, the air base in the south, but this time it looks like they did. The missiles did manage to hit a few of the bases in the north and one in the center. Again they say not not major damage, but some limited damage.
Speaker 1: Okay. Seems to be sort of a best outcome for a very terrifying situation. Jordanah Miller, I know that you are a woman in demand. Today we're going to let you go, but thank you for the information. We're glad you're safe, and we look forward to our next conversation. Okay. Jordana is you know she's in Jerusalem, and I thought it was kind of important because it it doesn't hit home for us, and it's hitting home for her and like hearing that she's down in a bomb shelter with their kids. I mean, that's powerful and like I said, best outcome. But it'll be interesting to see what happens next because even though Iran is saying, oh, don't retaliate, Israel's known for retaliating and they're not going to sit back and just let this all happen to them. So we will be watching. Also coming up at the bottom of the hour, my edition of Amy's on It this week. It's what I'm on is something that is incredibly relevant to what we were just talking about, and I think it's it's a must watch. We'll tell you about that again. That's coming up at the bottom of the hour. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The nearly forty four thousand acre fire in the San Bernardino Mountains continues to threaten Angelus Oaks and Seven Lakes. Ralph Gonzalez of the US four Services firefighters did catch a bit of a break. Yesterday's a ruins of ship for Ruler that's caught for the East instead up for the Southwest that we've seen for a couple of days, which is favorable to us because it burnt back and through the black The fire flared up on Sunday. Both of the communities mentioned are under mandatory evacuation orders. The fire's been burning since September fifth. More than one hundred people say they are about to file lawsuits against rapper producer Sean Combs over allegations of sexual assault.
Speaker 8: Attorney Tony Busby says he received more than three thousand calls from people claiming to have been attacked by Combs, and they settled on one hundred and twenty cases representing people from twenty five states.
Speaker 9: Conduct occurred over more than twenty years.
Speaker 8: Busby says the youngest person abused was nine at the time, along with a fourteen year old and fifteen year old. Busby says of the one hundred twenty cases, sixty or men sixty year women.
Speaker 9: I expect that through this process, many powerful people will be exposed, many dirty secrets will be revealed.
Speaker 8: Holmes pleaded not guilty to federal charges last month. He remains in custody. Steve Gregor rita if I.
Speaker 1: News thelapds's officers are looking for the person who stabbed Demand to death near the LA Convention Center. Officers found the man lying on the sidewalk yesterday on the corner of Washington Boulevard and Oak Street. They had been stabbed several times and at the scene. Two new state laws claimed to prevent Huntington Beach from disenfranchising voters and banning LGBTQ plus books. A lot of this is grandstanding by Governor Newsom.
Speaker 2: Huntington Beach city attorney Michael Gates, as voters approved a requirement that voters must show id during city elections.
Speaker 10: It's in the California constitution that charter cities can control their local elections.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 2: The other law sign Sunday would stop the city from keeping explicit books away from children.
Speaker 11: The state can pass all the laws at once, but it kept force Huntington Beach to buy certain books and put them on the shelves.
Speaker 2: Huntington Beach is also fighting the state in court over affordable housing mandates and the state's new law that prevents schools from notifying parents about gender issues. In Orange County, Corbin Carson kf I needs at least.
Speaker 1: Twenty three people have been killed when a school bus exploded in Thailand. Both students and teachers were among the forty passengers on the bus that exploded outside Bangkok. Fully say an investigation is being done to see if the school bus company was responsible for the explosion. Dodgers ledge Fernando Valenzuela's in the hospital a week after he stepped away as the Dodgers' Spanish language broadcast because of an unspecified health problem. The sixty three year old is not expected to be broadcasting during the playoffs. Valenzuela became a pitching penom in nineteen eighty one, becoming the first rookie of the year to win the Cy Young Award. The Dodgers also won the World Series that year. Geologists say the land side in the Portuguese Ben neighborhood in Rancho Palace Vertes is slowing down. At last night city council meeting, geologist said the land was moving up to thirteen inches a week, but now it has slowed to a rate of eight inches per week. That's still a lot of movement. Several of the teens accused of ransacking seven eleven stores around Los Angeles had been caught because their parents turned them in a group of between twenty and forty teenagers ransacked and robbed at least fourteen stores between mid July and mid September. The LAPD says several parents brought their kids to police stations after recognizing them in surveillance videos released last week. The matchup isn't set yet, but start times for games one and two of the National League Division Series at Dodgers Stadium have been announced. The Dodgers will play the winner of the Padres Braves Wildcard series at five point thirty eight on Saturday five eight on Sunday. The Padres won game one of the best of three last night. For ZIP I see you an, I see you cheering. The Dodgers are still going to beat you guys if we end up playing you, at least I hope. So at six o five it's Handle on the news. The vice presidential candidates went toe to toe. We'll find out what Handle had to say about that, but right now, let's say good morning too, the host of Rich on Tech on KFI KTLA's tech reporter Rich Demiro, who I got to run into at the night of the Jack event in Calabasas.
Speaker 3: That was fun, I know, wasn't that so fun?
Speaker 12: And what a great event. And they even had some tech there. They had that I don't know if you saw it, the GOVI Smart House which with.
Speaker 3: All the lights of the haunted House.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yes, if you look for cool ways to decorate your house, the gov folks, they've got you dialed in. And we got we got a little selfie with Rich and with Nick and producer and and that's up at KFI AM six forty and it's also on my story at at Amy K. King. Go check it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to see the faces behind the voices.
Speaker 7: I know, right.
Speaker 1: I came up to Rich and really came your biggest fan, and he was like, oh my god, who is this.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I get this all the time. Here would you like an autograph? No, I'm just kidding. It was so great to run into you guys. That was so fun.
Speaker 1: It was fun. And you know what, something that happened at that event leads me to the first thing I wanted to ask you about, and that is the new SOS that shows up on your iPhone because out there I didn't have any service and I was like, what's this SOS? It's on my What is that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Apple changed this.
Speaker 12: It might have been with the last iOS update, but that's basically instead of having no signal, they're letting you know. It's very confusing, I will admit, but they're letting you know that even though you don't have a signal, your phone would still be able to dial nine one one.
Speaker 3: So that's what that means on your phone.
Speaker 12: So if you see SOS, that means that if you tried to make a regular phone call, it wouldn't go through, but if you tried to call nine one one it would. And then there's another icon. If you see a little satellite next to the next to the SOS, that means that your phone, if you have an iPhone fourteen, fifteen or sixteen, can actually use satellites to both call for help and also text message folks as well.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that's good to know. Yeah, good to know. Okay, the Verizon outage. I was talking to my friend Amy and she said, I couldn't. I couldn't call anybody, I couldn't text anybody. I couldn't I didn't know where I was going because I didn't have my maps feature because her Verizon service. She was one of hundreds of thousands of people who didn't have it yesterday.
Speaker 12: Yeah, this is pretty wild. This was actually Monday that it was out for day.
Speaker 3: That's what I meant.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I know, we forget, but this happened to me as well. And I'm not kidding. I was out and about all day long and my phone just did not work. I couldn't believe it. I was like, wait, what is going on here? I've never seen an outage linger for this long. It was from about seven am until maybe about three pm it started coming back online. Many people across the nation. We don't know the number of people, but it was definitely a lot. Verizon has not said anything about it. They have not said a word. The last time they tweeted about it was on Monday. They said, we have fully restored today's network disruption service has returned. If you're still having issues, we recommend restarting your phone. We apologize for any inconvenience. But they have not given an answer as to why this happened. They have not given an explanation, and people are wondering, you know, do I get a credit?
Speaker 3: Like what happened here? I want to know, And a.
Speaker 12: Lot of people switch services too, According to the stories that people sent me.
Speaker 1: Really just from being out of service for a few hours because we're so connected to everything.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's probably like the last straw, and you know, if they needed a reason to do it. But from my experience, my wife had she doesn't have Verizon, so she was fine. I had Mint Mobile on the test line, that was fine, but my standard Verizon plan was definitely impacted the whole day.
Speaker 1: Well, and I do think it's interesting, and of course this affects you because you're the tech guy. But like, we just freak out if we don't have our phones for like an hour or two. When before we had cell phones, we would be kind of off the grid for hours and days and nobody worried about it, but now we just feel like we have to have that with us all the time.
Speaker 12: Well, I think the other difference is that people don't have landlines. A lot of people rely on these, so if you were you know, look, if you have someone like an elderly person at home and they only have a Verizon phone and that's it to not be able to get in touch with them for hours on end, that's a problem. And some people, you know, due to costs, they may not have Wi Fi at home either, because you know that's expensive. They just use their phone for everything. So you know, we've come to this point where we rely on these things so much and for everything. And by the way, Amy, a lot of people are switching to that home service that gives you in over the cell phone line. So it's like the more we rely on these wireless networks, the bigger these outages impact us.
Speaker 1: Well, it'd be interesting too to see if Ryson ever tells tells its customers what the heck happened? I mean, was it a hack? Did somebody unplug something? I mean, like, what what happened?
Speaker 12: It will probably end up being a software update that they pushed something through, but I think they're going to have to tell us just because they are regulated by the FCC, and you know there are people there that want to know.
Speaker 3: The SCC did say they were aware of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So moving over to another high tech thing. Competition's heating up for AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is interesting.
Speaker 12: So you know, these search engines are going through a major transformation. You know, Google Search for many years was all the same. You typed in something, it gave you a link, you clicked the first one. If that didn't work, you clicked the second one. But these these new generative AI kind of searches do away with all of that, and people have gotten a taste of it through chat GBT. They just type in, hey, give me ten of the best you know destinations for hiking in the US, and you don't need to look at twenty different websites. It just gives you a list and it gives you the research. So that's a problem for Google and all these other companies because they relied on the search advertising. So I tell you all that because Bing is now doing their generative search, they're slowly stepping into this amy because they don't want to ruin everything all at once. And so Bing now has generative search, which means when you get into BANG, if you use that for your search engine, you can type something in and it will say do a deep search, and it will give you kind of like I call it a book report. You know, it goes through all the websites and it kind of summarizes everything for you. Just one more way to try that out.
Speaker 1: Which I think is really interesting because I have a couple of different browsers on my computer and sometimes I google stuff and sometimes I end up doing the bang searches and the Google does the AI assist. It's the AI overview now yeah, up at the top, which makes it, like you said, very convene. And when you go to bing it's that it's those lists of all the different articles and stories about it that you have to click through. And I was like, well, this is dumb. I don't like this. Where's the other one.
Speaker 12: Where's the new way where I can just not have to? I mean, it really is convenient, ye, but again it's convenient for the end user. It's horrible for Google because you know, remember we used to click those links up to the top that were ads, and so they would make a cut of that, and, by the way, a lot of money off of that, and they don't make much money off of this generative stuff right now.
Speaker 1: Well do'll see. I'm sure they'll figure out oh way to monetize it. But in fact, I did my Google search today and said, what is tile because the other thing that we're planning to talk about was tile, And it told me, oh, it's trackers.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 12: So you know, back in the day, Tyle was the tracker to get. Then we had the air tag come along and now we have Android trackers. But Tile was purchased by a company called Life three sixty. They now have four new tiles that are better than ever. And what's interesting about these is that they don't operate on the apples Find my Network or Google's Find my Network. They actually do their own network with all the people that have this app installed, either Life three sixty or Tile. And so basically these work with iPhone and Android and they're little Tile trackers. You put them on your keys, you put them in your wallet, you stick them on your remote control and then you can find them.
Speaker 3: The unique thing here.
Speaker 12: Is that they have this SOS feature, So you can put this on your keychain and you can tap the button a couple of times and it will send a discrete alert to someone that you identify, you know as your contact if you feel like you're in danger.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So and you track down things by using your phone to track down like your keys or you're remote right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can do it in two ways.
Speaker 12: You can see it on a map or you can actually ring the little tracker. And they're pretty loud, and the battery lasts anywhere from a year to three years. Some are user replaceable, some are not, and the prices range from twenty five to thirty five dollars. I think these are best if you have a family that has a bunch of iPhones and Androids in the family. So if you're all iPhone, you probably want to go with air Tags. If you're all Android, you probably want to go with Google. But if you've got a mix of phones in your family, this is a nice way to keep track of everyone, okay.
Speaker 1: And you can find out more information about everything that we've been discussing on Rich's website rich on Tech dot TV, And of course you can find out about this and so much more when you listen to the rich on Tech right here. I blanked on what the name of the show was Saturdayday. I know That's why I was like, what rich on Tech Saturday from eleven to two right here on KFI. You can also watch him on KTLA and follow him on Instagram at rich on Tech.
Speaker 12: Thank you, Rich, I'm running into KTLA right now. See you, letter Amy, All right.
Speaker 1: Take care. Some of the cargo coming into the US has been rerouted west as doc workers at thirty six ports from Maine to Texas strike for the first time in decades. Port of LA Executive Director gen When Soroka says, dock workers in LA we're ready for this.
Speaker 11: Retailers and manufacturers have been planning for this day by advancing inventories and bringing in more cargo through the ports of Long Beach in Los Angeles. We've had a tremendous year so far, and our peak season was off the charts.
Speaker 1: Soroca says. If the strike lasts longer than a week, there could be a small backup of ships, cargo, trains, and trucks along the coast, but consumers are not going to see a significant difference. A judge in La County will decide whether the so called Pillowcase rapist can be released to Juniper Hills in the Annealt Valley.
Speaker 10: Residents and elected officials who opposed the relocation of serial rapists Christopher Hubbert from prison to a home in rural LA County shared written statements with a judge in Hollywood, LA County Sheriff's Captain Richard Cartmill says, last time Hubbert was released, protests near his home became disruptive.
Speaker 8: I foresee a similar similar community response in this case has already gained momentum through social media groups, community based organizations, and news coverage.
Speaker 10: Hulbert was convicted of dozens of rapes and now at seventy four years old, is slated to be released. Hubbert's future location is in the hands of that judge, Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Governor Newsom assigned a law that holds driverless car companies accountable for traffic violations. Before the law was signed, autonomous vehicles were not subject to traffic tickets because the law only mentioned drivers being responsible for violations and self driving cars don't have drivers. President Biden says his top priority is getting the areas impacted by Hurricane Helene the help and support they need. The President's going to tour areas hit by the deadly storm later today. He's going to apparently do it by air. Biden said, despite all the preparations, Helene was a storm of unprecedented and historic proportions. About one hundred and sixty people have been killed, more than five thousand pounds of fentanyl powder, and nine million fentomonal pills have been seized in California since the start of the year. Governor Newsom's office says that Colgar Cauards Counter Drug Task Force seized over seven hundred and seventy two thousand pills in just August. The White House says the US continues to work with Israel to assess the impact of Iran launching more than one hundred and eighty ballistic missiles at Israel. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan says the US is going to continue to monitor for further threats from Iran. Following the attack, Iran warned Israel that a crushing response would follow any retaliation. At six oh five, Handle on the news, East Coast ports are shut down, but it's pretty much business as usual at the ports of Long Beach and LA at least for now. At five point fifty, Governor Newsom has signed a billint a law that will, for the first time in the US, ban most rat poison. We're going to talk about what that means, why we need it, and if we can't poison them, how are we going to get rid of the rats. We've got a specialist who's coming on with us to tell us more about that.
Speaker 7: Aamies on its damis honest as on its on it?
Speaker 1: What am I on? I'm on streaming shows, documentaries, series, movies, and with so much information and so much entertainment out there, how in the heck do you know what to watch? I take recommendations from friends and then hopefully pass that along to you on what might be a good investment of your time or maybe if you should skip it. And this recommendation came from a producer and we were talking about the events going on in Israel and that the year anniversary of the October seventh attack on Israel is coming up, I mean, like it's Monday. And she asked me if you watched We Will Dance Again? And I said no, and what is it? And so we started talking about it, and I thought, I don't want to watch this, and then I thought I need to watch this. So it's called We Will Dance Again. It's on Paramount Plus. I get it my Prime Video subscription. It's the story of the October seventh massacre from the Nova Music Festival. Several areas of Israel were attacked that morning. This one focuses more specifically on the people who were at that music festival, what they saw, the horror they experienced, and its first hand accounts of what happened that day. The documentary starts with scenes of hundreds and hundreds of burned out cars just literally littering a roadway and also bloody bomb shelters, and I was like, I haven't seen that before. And that was really just the beginning. So they talked to the survivors and one of them says, I'm never going to be the person I was before the attack on October seventh. I'm trying to figure out who I'm going to be now. And that's within the first two minutes of it. So the story is told by the people who lived through through the terrorist attack. You are shown the story by cell phone videos and pictures, and it's not only from the Israelis who were attending the Nova Music Festival. There are other videos that will absolutely shock and horrify and infuriate you. The attack started just as the festival was getting underway. I didn't know this is it like it was a rave. So it got underway in the middle of the night, but really officially started when the sun came up, and early on October seventh, when the sun came up at six twenty eight in the morning is when the explosions started. And they quickly called an into the festival and told people to go home, but they weren't able to leave. Some of them were, some of them weren't, and even the ones who got out that didn't mean that they were safe. Possibly the most chilling part is the Hamas body cam and propaganda video that's woven into the story. I don't want to tell you anything about it because I want you to watch it to see what the terrorists did and what they said, and how they were joyful at times as they were murdering people. Absolutely horrifying and hard to watch, Like I said, but I think it's a must watch. It's amazing, it's heartbreaking, it's horrific, it's tragic. The stories of survival and the stories of the people who didn't survive all very amazing. We will dance again. I'm on it, and I think you should be too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Republican Senator JD. Vance and Democratic Governor Tim Walls have touched on a range of issues during their vice presidential debate. The discussion last night included abortion, immigration, and the conflict between Israel and Iran. Walls blames former President Trump for helping the Iranians become a nuclear threat.
Speaker 5: We had a coalition of nations that had boxed Iran's nuclear program in the inability to advance it. Donald Trump pulled that program and put nothing else in its place. So Iran is closer to a nuclear weapon than they were before.
Speaker 1: Vance countered comments saying Trump delivered stability in the world when he was in office by establishing effective deterrence.
Speaker 4: Iran, which launched this attack, has received over one hundred billion dollars in unfrozen assets thanks to the Kamala Harris administration.
Speaker 3: What do they use that money for?
Speaker 4: They use it to buy weapons that they're now launching against our allies.
Speaker 1: The vice presidential debate was the only one scheduled for this election. The Jewish New Year begins at sundown. With tensions escalating in the Middle East, some law enforcement agencies around La planned to increase patrols around synagogues and other houses of worship. The increased patrols, which were already planned, have been punctuated because of Iran's missile attack on Israel yesterday. Commercial space in Pasadena now has an easier path to becoming housing.
Speaker 6: New laws approved by city Council would streamline the review process and allow for square footage to be added for amenities. Mayor Victor Vordo says it's been a long time coming to get the rules approved.
Speaker 9: We've talked about increasing housing opportunities without increasing our built out environment.
Speaker 6: City officials say they researched other cities, including LA to model their rules off of. The new laws were approved Monday. Blake Charlie k if I News New.
Speaker 1: York City Mayor Eric Adams has expected to be back in court today, with the judge expected to set a timetable for his criminal corruption trial. Yesterday, Adams insisted he can still run the city and will not be stepping down as mayor, despite several calls to do so.
Speaker 9: I have to continue what I have in this team and what we have started, and we're going to today, and that's what the people of this city must understand.
Speaker 1: Adams is pleted not guilty to charges alleging he accepted bribes and illegal campaign contributions. Children's Hospital of Orange County says about fifteen children a year are visiting the er because they fell out of a second story window. Definitely that are under five, but two is the peak age.
Speaker 2: Chalk Injury Prevention coordinator Mackenzie Ferguson says, when it's warm like it is this week, the windows are open and sometimes toddlers are climbing on a bed or furniture that maybe shouldn't be near a window.
Speaker 1: A lot of families think a screen will keep a child in, but the screen is not meant to keep kids in. A screen's meant to keep bugs out.
Speaker 2: Bergson says the kids typically end up with skull fractures. She says falls are the leading cause of child er visits, with one hundred eighty two falls last year and one hundred and thirty nine already this year.
Speaker 3: In Orange Corbin carsen kef.
Speaker 1: I News, evacuation orders remain in place for Seven Oaks and Angelus Oaks as a flare up continues to threaten the communities. In the San Bernardino Mountains. Evacuation warnings are in place for Boulder Bear, Boulder Bay, and Big Bear Lake. Highway three thirty and thirty eight are closed. Highway eighteen is open for people evacuating the area. The fires. Seventy six percent surrounded one of the doctors charged in the death of actor Matthew Perry scheduled to enter as guilty plea. Doctor Markschevez is expected to plead guilty today to conspiring to distribute ketamine. He could get up to ten years in prison. Perry, of course, the former Friends star, was found dead in his hot tub about a year ago. Going to the beach to beat the heat may not be such a hot idea. Nine beaches in Ela County are going to be off limits because of high bacteria levels in the water. The county Health Department is advising swimmers and surfers to stay out of the water at beaches including Mother's Beach in Marina del Rey, parts of Venice Beach, Inner Cbrio Beach, and near Santa Monica Pire. A complete list is available at public Health dot Lacounty dot gov slash beach. They'll also have signs posted we're just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, Elon Musk might want to get some financial advice. X is apparently worth eighty percent less than what he bought it for. Yikes, Okay, I have to tell you we were talking with rich Demiro about the Verizon outage. I didn't have a Verietison outage, and I don't have Verizon phone service I have AT and T, and I wanted to ask a question about my bill. There's this weird charge on it, and I'm like, what is that? And it says, oh, this is a subscription or something, but I don't know what it is. And it might be that I'm paying for headphones, or it might be voicemail or something like that. But I thought, I need to get on the phone because I keep seeing it on my bill and I don't do anything about it. So I finally sat down and called AT and T and they said, we're experiencing an unusually high volume of calls blah blah blah. And I thought, well, I'm just sitting here on the couch and watching my shows and doing some stuff on the computer, so I'll just sit on hold for a while. So I sat on hold and sat on hold and sat on hold, or like, uh, I think it was at least forty five minutes. I mean it was a long time. And then and then they keep having all their little things. We're excited to talk to you. We'll have somebody get to you as soon as possible. And you know this customer no service thing. I don't know how you feel about it. But I just by the time somebody actually picks up the phone, I am already so just at the boiling point that I just want to explode on these people. And it's not their fault, I know, because they're going through the cycling, through the calls and stuff, but I just I get so wound up. So finally, after about forty five minutes, I get that click and then it rings. I'm like, aha, I'm through, and then I get the message our offices are currently closed. Please call back during normal business hours. Thanks AT and T. That was lovely. Okay, we were supposed to be talking to an environmental health legal director, senior attorney for the Center for Biological Diversity. We're having trouble getting through to him this morning, but just wanted to kind of touch on this. We'll see if we can schedule him for another time. But Governor Newsom has signed a law. It's the first in the nation. It restricts the use of all blood thinning rat poisons. So with rat poison, what kills the rats isn't the poison, but what kills them is the anticoagulant. So basically it's a blood thinder. And the problem with these things is it does take out the rats. But rats aren't predators, right, so they're in the food chain, so like they get eaten by other animals, they get eaten by mountain lions. Remember p. Twenty two when he had all that mange, it was our most famous mountain lion. They said that he had rat poison in his system, because again he's an apex predator, and it works its way up the food chain. And Nick Poliochina and I went out to a wildlife rescue center and there were several animals there that were being treated because they had ingested rat poison. I think there was a coyote there that coyotes eat rats. They eat cats and dogs too if you're not careful, but they eat rats, and it gets into the food chain, and it can start at a lower level and work its way up and get all the way up to like mountain lions. And we have Eileen who's one of our news anchors, who's here hanging out with us this morning, and she said a friend's dog ate a rat and that rat had food poison or had been poisoned, and so the dog ended up dying. So the governor assigned this bill that bands that there are some exceptions and that kind of stuff that I was hoping to dig a little deeper into. But I think the upshot of it is we're going to try to get this out of the food chain, which I think is a good thing for the whole circle of life stuff because we shouldn't be poisoning the rats and end up poisoning all the other animals. It's kind of a scary, scary side effect of it. But then the bigger question I have that I guess we're gonna to wait till another day to find an answer to, is what the heck are we going to do about all the rats? Because rats are a problem. I had a one friend she had them like they had completely infested her attic. I mean, they were like everywhere, so you have to get rid of them. But if you can't poison them, what do you do? Because it's important to control the population, right. So we'll try to get Jonathan on with us another day and see if we can dig a little deeper into that. But let's get back to stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Health Ministry in Gaza says at least fifty one people had been killed in Israeli airstrikes on southern Gaza. People who live in the Comunis area say Israel carried out heavy air strikes overnight as ground forces staged an incursion into three neighborhoods. One man says the explosions and shelling were massive. Iran's firing of missiles into Israel has stoked concerns about a massive regional war in the Middle East. Republican National Committee Chair Michael Wattley says America needs to stay and with Israel.
Speaker 8: America has been weak because we have not shown our friendship and to our ally Israel like we need to be.
Speaker 1: Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu says Iran will pay a price for its missile barrage. Yesterday. State lawmakers have approved a bill to stop gas prices from spiking, especially in late summer when demand for gas goes up. The legislation authorizes energy regulators in California to set requirements for companies to maintain a certain level of fuel on hand using existing storage to keep gas prices from suddenly going up when refineries go offline for maintenance. The Assembly also advanced a bill requiring state energy officials to release a report by July one of twenty twenty five on proposals to increase the supply of gas. More babies in California will now have access to breast milk regardless of insurance. Governor Newsom signed a bill to make it easier to provide donor milk for newborns who are in the NICUU. The milk comes from women who are lactating. It is screened and is pasteurized. More than one point one million passengers have passed through Long Beach Airport between June and August, making it the airfield's busiest ever summer travel season. Delta, Hawaiian and Southwestern now offering NonStop flights to twenty four destinations, which is more than has been offered in the airport's one hundred year history. It's a nice little airport. I still prefer Burbing, that's my favorite, but Long Beach is a good one too. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app