Speaker 1: In the same week, Donald Trump's speech at Davos faces claims it was outlandish and crazy. We look at some of the outlandish and crazy from Super League spin doctors this offseason. While everyone seems to be joining Trump's Board of Peace, the RFL seemed to be losing members of their board left, right and center. And also while Donald Trump brought a blast from the past in terms of Tony Blair on his Board of Peace, hoping to reignite past glory, it's got a set giants of them the same, haven't they. John with Ralph Rimmer, who's back on their fold with a remit for change. More of that in Lee's laughter. Welcome everybody to the sixth episode of Super League three sixty. My name is are very tired because I'm doing the morning shift again and I could have done with another two hours sleep, Lee Addison, what's your name?
Speaker 2: And my name is John Javison.
Speaker 1: This is a podcast primarily about rugby league in the UK. It's called Super League three sixty, but such as a nature of the sport, we often end up in different directions. But we'll also dedicate a little bit of time each week to what's going on in Australia. If you are interested in getting in touch, please my contact details Rugby League Coach dot com. I use the website at Rugby League Coach on Socials admin at Rugby League Coach dot com dot au is the email Johnny. Do you want to just quickly run through your contacts if anybody wants to talk to you, or why anybody wants talk to you or don't know you wait your mates up?
Speaker 2: You can get me on Exit Johnny d Davidson and on Facebook Get John Davidson, the Journalist.
Speaker 1: This podcast has been aired on the Ashes, Rugby League and the Rugby League Coach podcast platforms, but I'm noticing so many more of you going over to the Super League three sixty one. Thank you because eventually that's the only one I'll use and means less work. If you subscribe to those and including the Rugby League Coach YouTube where we put this as a full video with my tired eyes and John's fresh eyes because he's been drinking his coca by the fireside, then if you subscribe to all those things, you won't miss a think I'm an Englishman who's coached at NRL clubs, and a few other things in Australia for a long time. It was the anniversary this week actually, and I'm very tired. I don't know if I mentioned that yet, John, Who are you?
Speaker 2: I'm an Australian journalist who's been running that sport for a good no one nearly two decades. Not yet.
Speaker 1: We've got a new segment this week. It's called John Davidson's Tweet of the Week. At seven thirty am Brisbane time, on the twenty second of the first twenty six you tweeted or xed. Burners are becoming even more brazen and obvious these days. They don't even bother with pretense? Are the good old days? What did you mean there?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 2: It was just a response to a tweet put out. Obviously we're going to talk about in the podcast. But I watched the London Broncos opening game of the season against Witness Vikings. Now the Championship doesn't have a TV deal, but they London decided to stream their game live on YouTube. I think there was about eight thousand or so people who watched it live and it had about sixty five thousand views in the sort of three days since. And I just put that out, thought that was interesting. You know, a decent audience. In the last video that London had out of one of their games was against Bradford, which had been watched by three hundred and sixty five people at the end of the season. Now a lot of people got upset about that or tried to climb up their own people from P and G watching, or it was an attack on Bradford. It wasn't really any of those things. And it is funny how people can misconstrue things or.
Speaker 1: How dare people from P and G watch a game if they were I mean, I'm sure their eyeballs are worth the same as anybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, but that's yeah, that's neither here nor there. I'm sure there were lots of people watching or in the UK, probably some people in Australia. Definitely some people on the P and G, but more than merry. As you said, you know, people from P ANDNG can buy shirts or merch and.
Speaker 1: You know, quite a lot of Australians are interested in it. And I'm going to take take a break from the World Club Challenge preview analysis to do the London Broncos from that game because of how many Australians are interested in it, so people should look out for that in the next couple of weeks. I sent the YouTube video to somebody yesterday who was interested in the London Bronc holes and he wanted some rugby league to watch. So the next segment is the Rugby league tweet of the week or thread of the week. I'll decide this week it's a thread. Rob Tickle tweeted to Steve mascowd Rob brother of Tess. He said, also, pretty much every import player that arrives in the UK immediately remarks that the in stadium atmosphere is far superior. Away fans are a massive contributor to that. Steve replied, nice atmosphere doesn't pay the bills. Martin Morrell said, I'm a bit confused what you're actually what you're actually advocating for, Steve, and then Newie Roosters wrote, he's saying that TV cash is far more important than a bunch of plunkers eating pies in the stands, and then Martin Morrel replied, I mean, that's just stating the obvious, but that's not what Steve was talking about originally, and it really does show I little he knows about the UK game, he basist way too much on the premise, Well, it works in the NRL, so that's all you need to do. Lazy work. And then Newie Roosters, who has a hashtag lol at South's, replied, the only thing that doesn't work is everything you've done. You enjoyed that? Didja? Third new segment is Socials pop at Lee of the Week. So was it the one before Christmas we talked about Jamie Peacock getting arrested. I believe it was, yeah, And I had a I won't say yeah, a senior moment. I just couldn't remember if Jamie Peacock had played for Bradford. Just for like thirty seconds, I couldn't remember, and I said to you he played for Bradford, didn't he? Or words to that. EF fact just so happens that that's in a clip that's gone out. Some of the responses to that Tommy Saxton on Facebook, who also has poor grammar skills, it must be said, absolute nonsense. I've watched Oh no, sorry, this was too this was to an analysis Clipper did. Absolute nonsense. I've watched a lot of your videos and in all honesty, I've heard better from my junior coaches at half Acres and I Recired cool Bank, thanks for boosting, thanks for helping me earn by watching videos, thanks for watching Tim Shanes or yeah oh sorry. So anyway, that Jamie Peacock video. Liam Jacquelin said after seeing that video, stopped watching after did he play for Bradford as well? Rugby league podcast and the guy knows nothing. That's obviously the message on. So if you want to be a rugby league and cyclopedia, you need to know if Jamie Peacock played for Bradford twenty one years ago. Two others said similar. Sean Curley Kirkley sorry not Curly said, did he play for Bradford? Are you series? I think he meant serious. You can't be doing an RL podcast at your age and not know that. I'm glad he knows my age. Alan McKnight said, if you did not know he played for Bradford, how can you talk about rugby league? So that is the measure John, So everybody, if you want to be known as well known at rugby league, you need to know Jamie Peacock played for Bradford and left them twenty one years ago. I mean I don't know about you but I've done a few things since then, John, including to the other side of the world. And I don't remember Jamie Peacock playing for Bradford. I just forgot in that moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I've read most of his book written by previous guest, and he started his career Bradford and one several trophies. Beerfore maybe on the lead.
Speaker 1: So I don't know about you. I don't walk around thinking everything about twenty one years ago all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, clearly you need to think more about Jamie Peacock. You're yeah, you've lost your wife.
Speaker 1: I know I know a guy called Luke Thompson. I assume he's not the proper place for Wigan. Wrote sent me an email John about our pod. He said, all right, mate, that's how you start. That's how you say it in Manchester. But I don't know if it's from Manchester. Just listen to your Super League three sixty pod about the RFL taking over the NCL. Just wanted to put my point across as someone who played it, played in it for nearly twenty years, retired now at thirty six, but played up until last season at houl Dockers. The top two divisions are thriving in the in the NCL and the RFL have kept these two divisions as national. They've replaced NCL two and three with regional divisions, which for me makes sense if I was thirty playing with a young fan, it would be a lot easier, less travel and not full days away, even though we love them. Since amateur rugby league changed for some of there has been a massive decline in player numbers and over the last five years there's been a lot of games called off and points deductions due to teams traveling from say Hull to Cumbria with twelve players. And it works out it's a cheaper to bay the vine than for the bus and it says for me in the NCL lower leagues it makes perfectly sense to regionalize them hopefully keeps participate as participation up. Unless games called off, you can still get promoted to NCL via a playoff. To be fair, the RFL they do send out questionnaires to NCL players and coaches at the end of every season. I think this is what they have come up with to try and help with it. A lot of players I've spoken to are thirty plus and love the idea. Can drive to Leeds from Hull and still play or to cast etc. Just wanted to put a point across to support it. Really keep up the good work. I thought that was great that guy, that guy first of all, excellent points thinking about things making head of communications at the RFL. Please because that's more than you've heard from the RFL I think as to why. So yeah, that's really good context from him. I really appreciate and like I said, like I said, get in touch with me at Rugby Lee coach on the Socials and admin at Rugbyley Coach email. John's journalist at something but was it.
Speaker 2: Journalist dog John Davidson at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Salford had their first game last week, So for those who don't know Salford, the old club went defunct and there was a Phoenix club. It was bad news and good news at the same time. It was a bit like following Donald Trump. Really in the morning you're ready to end it all. By the afternoon what was all the fuss about? And it was a bit like this. Today Salford were folded. The High Court folded them and then and then in the afternoon there was a few options for Phoenix clubs and one of them won out and there was a very good event in so well on the outskirts of Salford. I should say when they played Oldham in their first game last week, John.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was there to see a bit of history made forty four nil to Oldham, which look, when you consider everything that's gone on, Salford was still recruiting players, you know, a day or two before I think they had one training session together as a team and Oldham I've got quite a big budget, a number of ex Super League Q Cup players, et cetera. But I think the occasion was really important. There was a crowd of around five thousand, which is probably more than Salford were averaging last year in Super League. It was a really good atmosphere and I think it was a bit of a celebration that the club is still going. Obviously it's a new club, but that there is a club calling itself Salford, and yeah, it was a bit of a party. It was a great atmosphere. There was a bit of a scare when an Oldham fan had a heart attack in the first half in the game was stopped for about twenty eight minutes. Luckily he seemed to be okay, and he was off to hospital, so you don't see that every day. But yeah, it was great to see Salford back at it. And look, it's going to be a very tough time for them, you know, long season, they're not going to win many games, you know, and it might be five years so they're back in. Say the league might be ten, might be twenty, who knows. But if you're a Salford fan of any age, you've got a team to support and I think that's you know, that means a lot more than the winning on the field at this point.
Speaker 1: And I also think forty four l I mean, compared to some of their score lines last year, that was a bonus too. Losing forty four nil.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean Oldham sort of took a while to get going in the first half. They definitely stepped up again in the second, but look it was again they're always going to expect to win. Oldham will be well. I think they finished fourth last year and with the three teams leaving the championship, Oldham will be pushing for the title. They'll be up there with London and probably one or two others. So you know, they did what they needed to do, but but you know it was it was a Sultord story and yeah, just great to see them still go around and obviously wish everyone at the club, the owners, the CEO, et cetera, the best of luck in the Neeavos and.
Speaker 1: When it was critical of the CEO appointment the other week because it was a job for the boys type appointment, everything I've seen from the CEO, Ryan Breeley and the ownership at Sulfurd looks really good. I can't fault them so far. They they're visible, they're they're busy on social media, their stuff looks good and they've managed to get a crowd of five thousand, so so far, so good. I just know it's just going to be a tough rold ahead. London had a similar crowd at their home and we're going to talk again about London and Johnny's job later. But again, positive positive stuff on on the southern end of the island, and let's face it, I mean rugby league ultra positive. Really, two reborn clubs for different reasons, one in the North and one in the South and getting more than some superlight clubs get.
Speaker 2: Quite frankly, yeah, definitely, I mean the amount of the amount of headlines and traction that London have got, I mean ever since down Lockyer and his business partner Grant West School took over, has been huge. In the last couple of weeks. I've got a story which is you know you can read online now in the ipaper tomorrow. A feature they've been in The Observer, the Guardian. I think down Lockey was on BBC four the other day, on Sky Sports today. Yeah, the amount of traction on Instagram and Facebook and everything has been huge. So they're really really pushing the club, pushing this rebuild, and they're you know, they're making all the right noises. Obviously a very good crowd. They've got a documentary being made about the club this season, they stream their first game. They've got you know, great sponsors, Rebok, Cash Converters come on board. They've obviously, you know, got basically a whole new team led by Jason Dimitri the former Souse coach, you know, and they've got the only full time team in the championship, so they should walk that division. So there's lots of positives, but look it's the first game. They've got a long way to come. But yeah, again, it is a positive story, much like Salford and hopefully under under Lockier and the new administration there, they can keep building and you know, really get Rugby League firing in London.
Speaker 1: Will My analysis videos that have done on teams have had a habit of influencing what's happened the week after at various levels of the game, john including the highest. So when I start analyzing the Broncals, maybe the opposition will see some weaknesses the connect sploit. That's all I'll say. So London should pay me to keep quiet. York came from that division and they're preparing for a year in Super League. But they've only had one preseason game and we're beaten in that. Who did you play?
Speaker 2: I played hardest field on I think it was Saturday, went down twenty two to four. Look, I mean you can look into you can put a lot of value in the preseason games or not. At the end of the day, the result doesn't really matter. I was up in York last week speaking to Mark Applecarth and the owner Clint good Child, and you know, they were very positive, confident about the new season, obviously excited. York's never been in Super so it is a new market. But I think there's no escape in the fact that it's going to be a hard season for them. They've obviously they've they've switched from part time to full time. They've done some recruitment, but they don't have the full sky money that that all the other clubs except to Loose get. They only get I think it's about six hundred and fifty pounds instead of the sort of one point three, So they aren't, you know, unless they're their owners tip in that actually when they can't recruit to the same level. So it's going to be, Yeah, it'll be it'll be hard for them. But again I think it's it is exciting that the new market. Anyone who's been in York would probably say it's a fantastic city, you know, very big for tourism, and it's a new market for the sport. So yeah, it's going to be fascinating. They play whole Car on their first game, so it's a pretty difficult round one. But let's let's see how they go. They they dominated the championship last year. They lost the ground five to loose, but I finished top, so I think they deserve to get their shades.
Speaker 1: Well, let's listen to that audio now that you recorded with your coach, Mark Applegarth.
Speaker 2: I mean obviously you can talk. You can talk, you can talk about the new BAB if you want or leave that out, but obviously yeah, yeah, I mean obviously congrct.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Probably not a lot of sleep, but you're prepared for a new season. It's another exciting thing for no.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, obviously welcome the new edition in absolutely come out a good time.
Speaker 6: Forfault season, miss any game, Yeah exactly, But yeah, it's pre seasons, pre season.
Speaker 5: I think every coach will be same at moment. You you know, you're getting into your squad, how you want to play, what you want to be perceived about, and the main thing is getting everyone fit and firing and connection as a team.
Speaker 4: And you know everyone's applying theirself in a great manner.
Speaker 5: And we're at that stage of preseason now where everyone's just ready for the games to begin and and begin that journey of the twenty twenty sixth season.
Speaker 2: You said before that I guess having that one only one preseason game, I guess explain that because sometimes will had three, sometimes will have two. I guess you've got to think you're the only one Superage had one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, As I said, I've done preseason in the past, well we've had three or four, and I mean last year we we only had one.
Speaker 7: End.
Speaker 5: Personally, I just I like to build up throughout the year, and I think with all tough the sport is these days, you know, if you if you're looking at your top twenty two to twenty three players, I think one of.
Speaker 4: Two games is probably, in my opinion, all you need.
Speaker 5: We've been training tough, and we've been you know, we've been doing what we need there and I think naturally you want to see him in the competitive element, which preseason friendly will bring against an opposition that don't know your calls, and then what sort of shape you're gonna you're gonna pull in that so there'll be a good run out for for us on Saturday versus we just field you know, and they're not.
Speaker 4: We've got the.
Speaker 5: Challenge Cup before the whole Car game in round one, so you know, I think that's a sufficient build up for us leading into our amazing Super League season.
Speaker 2: And you've got that home game against who are start season be a massive game trouble winners, and I think the reports were hold one of the easier.
Speaker 1: Are you fast?
Speaker 4: You play every team twice exactly?
Speaker 5: You know, I think it's a bit of a defeated stattitude if you if you're already worrying about that sort of jazz. You know, we we've been banging the drum to being super League now, you know, ever since I've come to the club, and.
Speaker 4: You know, we feel we belong there. If we belong there, then it doesn't matter who you play, does it. You know, we enjoy that challenge.
Speaker 5: You know, book Cars the standard bearers at the moment. I thought they had a fantastic year last year. Obviously good mates were Willy to you know, and then speaking to Willie Anam, he's got the healthier respect for our team and we've got a healthy respect for ok Are And as I say, we're really looking forward to locking ons with round one.
Speaker 4: And you know, as I say, every week made the best team win on on the.
Speaker 2: Day and your team is obviously going to be very keen to for that game, which is also a good prep for them to find the Broncos.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's I mean, we're both We've only got the Super League and the Challenge Cup to look forward to, you know, and then OKRs in a bit of a different format to us that they've got to make sure that the peaking for that World Club Challenge as well are there, so you know, let's not be around the bucks. They'll be looking at us as a as a stepping stone to Brisbane, you know, and we'll be wanting to set our town for the season by you know, putting in the great performance against the car.
Speaker 2: And York in Super guess people expect.
Speaker 5: We just want to give the city a team that the brother John you know, I'd love to see here telling you that we're going to be a good season, is going to be winning the treble.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: We just want to give the City of York team that they're proud to get me outed every week and listen, there's going to be some fantastic eyes this year, you know, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Sure there's going to be a few super punches as well that are going to hurt.
Speaker 5: And I'm just looking forward to locking arms with some of the best teams in Email and then sure that you'll belong there.
Speaker 4: It's as simple as that, you know, we we want to be a Super League team for a long time to come.
Speaker 5: And you know, we're just really relishing the challenge every week of I'm suring.
Speaker 7: What we can do.
Speaker 2: And obviously you experience at Wakefield, Yeah, you've coached at that level before, a big learning experience. I guess the numeralis. But that will doubly help you because you've you know, you've been in an environment and you know what to expect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, i'd probably say I learn. You learn more about yourself in phases of adversity, don't you. Then you do. I don't know how many games with one last year than in periods like that. You know, we say all along it's a statistic character. I'd like to think that I have myself in a in a really positive manner, you know, for myself when I can look in the mirror that I knew I stayed true to my own character. And as you've just said, there are some really valuable learning lessons. And you know, every every season is different for different things. Obviously that year at Wayfield or a stadium getting built, and you know, limit a budget on certain things. And I've walked into York and he's got a fantastic, facilly, fantastic training ground and.
Speaker 4: Fantastic old Yeah, very humble and.
Speaker 5: You know, a different text circumstances completely and you know I'm not one for reading headlines, and all I do know is that Clint's provided the best back in that we can for our maiden year in Super League, and that's all we can ask for him.
Speaker 4: We'll be doing everything we can every week.
Speaker 5: To to go out there and make this city proud that they've got teenior super League.
Speaker 1: How do you you're back with Lee John on Super League three sixty? Is that vodka? John? No, it's just water tonight. In terms of their result in the trial, in the friendly match, I think friendlies as they call them in England, trials as to call them in Australia. They can mask so many things. I remember once coaching a Manly See eagle side in a trial two weeks before the competition and we got beat ten tries to one. Played the same opposition in round one and beat them sixteen ten or something. So trials are different because if you get a player with a little niggle, you teck them off the field. Your trial, different combinations. There sometimes isn't even goalkicks, so that even that's different. Also, the interchange rules are different. You can bring fresh interchanges on all the time. So yeah, look, York shouldn't worry too much about the result of that game. What they do need to do all things considered, though, is they need to start the season really well. So they need to get a few wins up early. They need to be about fifty percent I think by round four or five or six, Round four five or six or should that be six seven, round six seven, I don't know. And if they are fifty per win record about round six, they there's a good chance they won't finish bottom of the ladder. Now I don't know. How do we know how important it is not to finish at the bottom of the ladder yet, well, you would be league the only sport in the world where nobody knows the rules before thee it is.
Speaker 2: Going to be the IMG system again, so obviously on film performance is an element, but it's not the only element. Look, I think a successful season for York will be not finishing bottom.
Speaker 7: Bye.
Speaker 2: I think that'll be in the more than four Now they may not be, but yeah, they're an unknown quality match like really to lose and brad I mean Bradford haven't been the super League I think for ten years to Louse had a single season a couple of years ago, but it is I think people probably underestimate the jump from part time a full time all from Championship super League and the two clubs that have done it most successfully in recent years have been Wakefield and Lee, and that's because they've both basically had a lot of money and recruited strongly.
Speaker 1: And super League Before.
Speaker 2: Wakefield, Wakefield had been in Super League for a long long time, obviously had a new owner come in, pumped in a lot of money, new new stands, et cetera. And Lee had sort of yo yo, but you know, had really recruited a lot of players. You know, got in Adrian Lamb as a great coach, Chris Chester as director of rugby, and had that kind of infrastructure around. So yeah, it definitely takes money as well as experience too.
Speaker 1: On one of the anomalies I've seen in the Super League competition is because their pre season is essentially one month shorter than the NRL one possibly six weeks if you really want to get into the nitty gritty and measure it is ultimately athletic development and recuperation isn't the same in Super League Okay, so every year that happens. It doesn't help the English footballers full stop. But what it does mean is that teams go into the preseason with different levels of conditioning, different levels of fitness, and some of them go in undercooked because they try and build it up as the year goes on, because they've got better at managing this truncated this long sorry, this long season that ends sometime in twenty twenty nine, not sorry in October. And therefore you when teams look at the Super League sides in the next couple of weeks, particularly at Wigan because they have the hoop jerseys, make it look worse. Sometimes the players look a bit heavy in the early rounds of Super League and it's literally because they're at different stages of their conditioning and because it's not that much time in the off season to do it. And what will happen is if your are in a good place conditioning wise, they've got to really target some of these early fixtures to try and get some what we would occur what we would categorize as shot results, right, and that if you have looked at the history of Super League, that happens sometimes, I mean, do you remember the opening round last year, Lee played Wigan and the score was two nil or something, and I thought they played one nil. I thought they played soccer. And that's because they've probably not done as much ballwork as they should have done, not done as much work on their combinations and skill levels. They're just you know, they're essentially halfway through the preseason and the season starts so and you've got to give players rest too. So this is something that York can capitalize on. And if they're in a state of readiness, particularly in the fixtures against the likes of Bradford, Huddersfield, Castleford, anybody who's been in those lower reaches, if they can target them, they could end up getting themselves in a really good place by round six, round seven, round eight. I don't know who they play, but if they can get into a good place when the year gets tough for them, they'll have some points in the in the bank. And that's what you've got to look for. Another director departs of the RFL. As I mentioned in the pre amble, who's this director that's left and how many are left? And they're a mess, aren't they? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's the director of people in culture, so a victorious and nicol As you've been there about five years. Yeah, I mean, I think the governments of the RFL and the kind of the culture at the organization there's been under criticism, under attack, everyone to put up for quite some time. She's sort of the latest in a in a long line of departures from the governing body. Obviously the CEO, Tony Sutton left in September. There's been numerous other people. The head of media, Andy Wilson left after the ashes. Obviously, Sean Wayne was left more recently, and I understand there's been other you know, more junior staff as well, in the kind of logistics in the in the events team. So it's not been a great well, it's not been a great eight months of the RFL has it looked. Let's be honest, when you look at the chairman being forced out and then a whole board you know, other directors quitting and a whole board sort of effectively having to be rebuilt, and you know the sporting Sport England questioning the governments and saying you know you need to do this, this and this. So yeah, it's another it's another sort of worrying thing at the RFL and who are looking for a new CEO and a new chairman. And whether we get you know, the same old faces that we generally get, or we get new people with new ideas, we shall see. But yeah, I mean usually these things painting out here you would expect.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think there's any problem with the RFL doing a clean out, and whatever they're doing, I'm going to hold judgment a little bit. It depends what comes now. So they've changed the fall back of the competitions. People have been cleaned out one way or the other by their own choice or by being pushed. Well, that's all well and good. That's all well and good. Let's see if it's better now. And the big stain on the RFL for me is England got beat three nil quite significantly in the Ashes. At the same time, we're announcing fourteen teams in Super League, not twelve, bringing three new sides in a couple of teams don't get the same funding and the overseas allowance goes up to ten players. So they can't, on one hand say they want England to be successful, on the other hands, say we're going to allow more Australians, New Zealand as papping New Guineans and Tim Bucktooons into the Super League. So I think what it is, John is we've seen this movie before. We know, we know some of these things probably aren't going to be great, but it's probably pertinent for us to just you know, let's see how to go. But yeah, talking of England, Brad Arthur seems interested in the England job, or is he? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Look, I think it'd be briiner for Brad to to apply and put his hand.
Speaker 1: Up for every job lately. Yeah, well, you know he's not like Leeds, is it not like that city?
Speaker 2: I think he likes Leeds. But look, we said this in the in the last podcast. It's an attractive job coaching England, you know at a World Cup. You know, I think it's going to be a short term of appointment and he'd be well placed to you know, he's got a foot in both camps and then he's had a huge amount of NROL experience and also Super League experience now for the last two years.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think he'd be a good change. This leads me into the next section. Media watch and Willie Peters was soon named as the favorite, wasn't it for the for the England job? And then a few places ran the story of Barry McDermott picking his coach for England. He wanted Brian his namesake, no relation. What they all omitted from their places though, was the fact that he's a former Island international. So I had a little giggle at this, because you know, Barry is very much entitled to past opinion on whoever he wants to be the coach of anything. And also he's a Sky Sports punned it, and he's an old teammate of McDermott in the past, I think, or foe. He is also a friend of mine Barry. But and he made a great case. But the football equivalent, the soccer equivalent, would be Roy Keane passing opinion and being pumped everywhere in the news and saying I want my mate, I don't know, Gary Neville to be the coach of England, like it's None of them mentioned the fact that Barry actually played for Ireland. However, little known fact, John, did you know he played for England?
Speaker 2: I would have presumed he played for England and Great Britain.
Speaker 1: He did play for Great Britain, significantly, and I think, I think what what tickled me? And the reason I've sort of put this in is it goes back to this, Yes, because Barry played for Great Britain. Many people have run this story and ignore the facts he played for Ireland and this is an England team, and people just interchange the two whenever it suits them, England and Great Britain, don't they.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, I think, not knowing explicitly, but I think Barry probably considering himself an Englishman with Irish heritage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, he did play for Ireland a number of times. He played for England in one of two games in the nineteen ninety six European Championships and played off the bench in their thirty fourteen win over Whales or they want anyway. One player said it was twenty four to fourteen and they said thirty four. So yeah, he did play for England. But that was a time when England was almost seen as the reserve side for Great Britain basically, or the not the same side. Wayne Bennett suggested that Sam Burgess and James Graham package, and then Graham backpedaled a bit and actually also anointed Brian McDermott, and I think Sam Burgess is trying to distance himself a little bit from a job too. John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think I think we did speak about this, and yeah, I think Sam Burgers would be a good grinding an assistant role, but look the job. He's got a massive job on his hands at Warrenton and he was very close to getting sacked last year, so I don't think it would look good, at least publicly if he was out there saying, look, I want the England job, Give me the England job, because his track record after two seasons at Warrington's not crash hot. He had a great first year, but the second year was was pretty bad. So yeah, let's let's see how he gets on with the Wolves in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Oh, somebody has started on me on Facebook too. Mark r d says, let me just this is this is hot off the press. The clip when's the last time you saw a play? Oh bull? And then and then a emoji of a turd? God know what you are watching? All right?
Speaker 3: That was.
Speaker 2: He's got some great face. And then.
Speaker 1: On another video he went, wow, so insightful. I'm going to reply to him just like you are. Was it Kipling who was a great writer, It was, you're right like Kipling there, you know, he'd be like what you went to the Leaderino's media day and we've got some audio of that while playing a moment. But they're at risk of losing players to the n r L, or they have lost some players to.
Speaker 2: The n r L.
Speaker 1: Get mixed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, obviously morgan gannon will be turning out for the Warriors this year next year.
Speaker 1: He's gone this year, not next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, morgan gannon will be fine for the Warriors in what a month or so. They've lost James McDonald and Harry Newman to Perth for twenty twenty seven and I know Jared O'Connor has got two NRL clubs who are very interested in him. He's obviously off contract that Leads at the end of this year. It's quite surprising, considering his performances for Leeds and how long he's been the club that they haven't tied him down before now. But yeah, there's a bit of competition for him. I think Person one of the clubs that are in for Jared O'Connor. But my inclination is that he will probably stay in Leeds. He's had a baby, well, his partner had a baby last year. I think he's pretty happy at Leeds. But yeah, the NRL clubs are definitely you know, smelling some blood in the water with the Rhinos and they're getting a bit decimated.
Speaker 1: Jared's propaganda machine remainds were just like that of his father twenty odd years ago. Don't worry, So I'll say, I'll I'll tell, I'll tell the same. So a lad's going to be challenges this year next year or is it rebuild time?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I think I think there will be challenges this year. Look, they've got a they've got a good team. They should have been in the I guess what you would call the preliminary follow last year they just had that brain explosion at the end against Helen's. So I think that will be there and thereabouts, probably in the top three four. I don't know if they're good enough to knock off Hulk or Wigan in a in a final, but I look, if Jake Connor has the kind of year that he had last year, you know with Brodie Croft, they've got you know, some good some good backs there, some great forwards, they've definitely you know, and Brad Arthur's really improved them as as a team, so they should.
Speaker 1: Be up there. So our intrepid journalist John went to the Leeds media day. You're going to hear in order Calum Watkins, Presley Castle, Jared O'Connor and Jeremiah Mattuita. And for those watching Callum Watkins and Presley Castle is an audio clip with just a picture of those two players. But Jared O'Connor and Jeremiah Matita. Is that how you say?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I'm not sure whether it be Matatia. I like the form over Newcastle and.
Speaker 1: Spelling John, the journalists might have spelled it wrong in the message to me, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not sallow and so I'm not I'm not sure of the exact pronunciation.
Speaker 1: Well, Jared and Jeremiah they've got videos, so if you're watching on YouTube, you're not going to be looking at playing pictures.
Speaker 7: All the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As a off season, Christmas in a massive, massive view for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, it's been good. Nice little break with the kids.
Speaker 4: And family, which was good, had a good year, enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 6: Obviously we're playing in the Ashes as well, didn't think that would happen. So yeah, it was pretty good to go through that and play internationals again, which was great, but to get that time off and spending time in the family has obviously been the most important.
Speaker 7: So it's been good.
Speaker 2: How do you look back at twenty twelve considering you know, you've I mean, this is a respectful.
Speaker 1: Way you've been around the wall, You've changed a.
Speaker 2: Lot in your career, You've had a lot of seasons, but what happened at Salford You've come back to lege great form, you're playing in ashes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a bit of a rollercoaster.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it has, and I think sometimes it happens sometimes it's.
Speaker 8: Part of our sport, you know, at the time, and unfortunately obviously with the Solf the situation which is looking like it's going on up now, which is good and positive, which which I'm really happy with people.
Speaker 6: That I've gone in there and trying to help the club as best as possible.
Speaker 7: So I really pleads with that.
Speaker 6: And obviously the year was obviously obviously up and down in terms of that and being able to be giving an opportunity to come here. It was some of that I took with both hands and I had to try and make the most of it because I remember playing them in the first couple of rounds as fought and you're also playing them before. There's something about this team that can do something special. So I've got given the opportunity to come back or took with both hands, and yeah, I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: It's it's been great, and that's been awesome with his coaching.
Speaker 6: And obviously as a gloat and all the lads as well off there played with a few a while back Altous played against them as well, so all great lads and all want to do really well for this club.
Speaker 7: So yeah, glad to be a part.
Speaker 1: Of it as a sulted local.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you must be happy at the club has restarted and there's going to be a presence there and you know for all the next Calum Watkins's and the kids in a local area can have a pathway.
Speaker 6: Super Yeah, absolutely, and I know it's it's it's early doors is in it. It's going to be some tough situations that they have to go through and make some tough decisions. But then they spoke about obviously Ryan spoke about being transparent and being honest and they will certainly give that one hundred percent, and you know the fans will respect that and support them as best as you can. You know, it's a it's a great bunch of fans that are really passionate about their club.
Speaker 7: And I've been a part of that as a.
Speaker 1: Young kid as well, have been through ups and downs as well, So.
Speaker 6: I'm so glad that there's something there in place that they can that they can push forward with and there's a lot of positivity there. And they've got the game on the on the Friday night and I'll be there supporting as well.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it'll be excited to go.
Speaker 2: And looking back at the Rhinos, I just passing Ryan they I think you and him are probably the last of the Golden Yeah, it must be, you know, yeah, I guess you can pass on that. You and him can pass on that lineage to that that's next crop. And there's a lot of exciting young players coming through.
Speaker 6: Yeah, especially here, it's it's massive. You know, everyone's coming in full time as well or of the academy. My lads are playing, are playing and coming in full time and training and you know they're getting our experience from those guys and they're getting pushed by the coaches at the same time we did, you know, back then. So the likes of me and Harlick and obviously give them that kind of advice and experience that that we go through because we're all doing the same things. We all training and pushing ourselves hard. It's about doing the little things and you know, you know, to talking, you know, talking with your actions and you know that's something I'll pass on to the younger lads.
Speaker 7: And yeah, it's very exciting, isn't it.
Speaker 6: You know, Chev has done a brilliant job in terms of happy to bring up them their young kids as well, and some blazes as well as working hard to you know, to to retain them guys and once to get the opportunity here they you know, you know, they can make the most of it. But the fact that they're in their full time road now put something the best place to to when they do get the opportunity, they're ready.
Speaker 2: And for lads, I mean, looking back at the end of that season and she put it to bed, but what happened, Helen's you know, absolutely crazy ending. It was a good season for the club. That imagine everyone was still kind of what the hell happened in that last ten minutes and yeah, you know you were you were two games from going final.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: And I think that's just a learning, I guess, a learning from the group. You know, the way we play is it's very exciting, and I know it's bringing the best out of.
Speaker 7: The players that we've got on the team.
Speaker 6: And you know that we can be be anyone on our day and when we are playing hard to beat, and then that's what we're want to be known for. So, yeah, he was obviously devastating losing that game, but we've had to put that to bed straight away. And we did that coming into pre season, which is which is good, and we addressed it and they'll put it to bed now. And it's a new journey in a new season now, So something that we're really looking forward to and looking forward to get stuck into.
Speaker 2: And you look, you're looking back at last year in the squad that you have, it seems like you guys can be really challenges this year up there with the whole guys and the Wiggins and yet really pushed for trophies.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's that's the game. I think that for every club. That's the game to get to.
Speaker 6: To fight for silverware, to play for and to win silver air and to be successful as a team and then as a group. And you you've got to go through journeys, You've got to go through you know, different adversities through through the season.
Speaker 7: It's a new year. It's it's an opportunity for us to get better and better as a group.
Speaker 6: And I would say every team is going to get better from that, and then the teams that come up as well, they're going to provide a big challenge as well.
Speaker 7: So yeah, it's it's exciting for for for super League and for us.
Speaker 6: It's just about being the best that we can to movie teams what we're doing training in terms of how we prepare for games and put ourselves in the best mistress position to play at our best and.
Speaker 7: We'll see how we go from there.
Speaker 2: Chat. I guess that last season and got an issue. Obviously it's massive you making your debut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how was it?
Speaker 7: It was?
Speaker 9: It was a will window, to be fair, I've said, I said to quite a lot of people that have asked me a similar question that you know at the start of the year, I wouldn't I would never expected to know, to play seven super League games if you have asked me, so you know it was. It was obviously the best shame in my career so far, and you know I'm looking to build on that even further this year to you know, kind of top it. But yeah, I know it was.
Speaker 4: It was a great year.
Speaker 2: And what Yeah, I guess what has Brad said about this season coming? You know, what does he expect from you? What had a role?
Speaker 1: Does he? Does? He say you're playing?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, you know, without putting too much pressure on me. You know, he said that a lot, but you know, he just wants me to get more games. Something about this year, you know, learn from the lads around me, and I think, you know, taking everything that's being said to us by the coaches, you know, which is which is what I want as well. Ultimately, you know, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself in a sense where you know, you know, I'm letting it go past me and stuff. So you know, I want to grounded and I want to learn and play as many games I can the share.
Speaker 2: I guess it must have been a bit of a world when you know, been eighteen and then you played on TV. Yeah, and I remember I asked Brad about your twenty season and gave you massive wraps.
Speaker 1: You know, he's really impressed with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I guess that transition from academy and reserves to super League geah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's you know I thought at the time, you know, it was it was a big step up, you know, looking back at it was it was easier than I thought because you know, I had the right lads around me, Yeah, the right coaching staff, and I think I was in the right environment and team, you know, so I am really grateful for that. And you know, the trust that Brad's given me to obviously, like you say, debut at eighteen and then go on to start at eighteen against Okay, you know it's He's given me a lot of trust and faith and that's only given me so much confidence and only done me a world of good.
Speaker 2: And your background is it from Bradford original Halifacts right? But you did come through West Balwick, Yes I did, Yeah, yeah, yeah, growing up with Halifax Fain Lates Fain Branford.
Speaker 4: Well, I never really.
Speaker 9: I followed rugby, but I never really supported a team.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: What was actually strange, which I don't really tell a lot of people that I have a I've had a relationship with Jake Connor for a while and he used to coach my dad locally, so I kind of when he was that whole, I kind of followed him where he were and then obviously when I grew up and got a little bit older, you know, and then signed here at Leeds, you know, this kind of becomes your home and you know you support these so I would say, yeah, that's how that's how it planned out.
Speaker 1: With you with your dad obviously was a good player. Well I think he is.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think he's he's a good player. He never made it professionally, just locally, but you know I heard a lot to him as well. Yeah, you know he's been massive in my development and my journey, you know, to get to this position that.
Speaker 4: I am now.
Speaker 9: So you know, I hearn a lot of a lot of things. Yeah, And like I said, I wouldn't be in this position without him, So you know, he's been He's been a great role model.
Speaker 1: Was that Siddle that he played.
Speaker 9: For, Yeah, so he played at Civil but majority was of ingden Wurch's my local club where I'm I'm from and lived. So you know, since I were young growing up watching him plays has been massive in my journey in development.
Speaker 2: And I imagine he was a big factor in getting you into rugby and obviously teaching you the game.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah it was you know.
Speaker 9: He actually he coached me out of Ingden when I was a little bit younger. So you know, we've I've kind of been with him for a long time in terms of rugby, and then when he stepped away, you know, he kind of made the decision to step away because to help me develop further, you know, because ultimately I was comfortable under my dad, and I think for me to grow I had to be uncomfortable in a new environment and a new team.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and he has to be very proud of, you know, what you've achieved so far and the pathway that your own.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know as all my family, you know, they mean a lot to me. It means so much and the sacrifice, you know, a lot of things for them, you know, so that I could be in this position. So yeah, I think proud is an understatement. And you know, whatever journey I go on, you know, I definitely like them to be on my side, and.
Speaker 2: I know, there's always the terrible headlines and the social media. But your first name, I guess a unique first name. I'm guessing it has got nothing to do with Elvis.
Speaker 4: I've asked that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the only stupid as Yeah.
Speaker 9: But it's got all to do with Elvis, surprisingly, So yeah, it's pretty unique.
Speaker 7: I don't think.
Speaker 9: I don't figure I really know anyone else called Presley, So I usually hate when I'm a bit younger, but I don't mind, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well it makes you stand out. Yeah, yeah, Jared ready for another season? Was a big one for you. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Speaker 10: Yeah, really exciting thing, especially now everyone's getting a bit fed up a pre season, but went early there and yeah, I think everyone's just really excited to get going.
Speaker 1: It was a pretty dramatic game to lash. Have you got over that size game?
Speaker 2: Not quite.
Speaker 10: I'm still not actually watched the game back far from when we've got to review it. But yeah, I don't. I don't know if we'll ever quite. I think it's it's fielders all going into that care anyway.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it's probably probably the worst way to win the season, isn't it. Look you guys looked down dustin for the next semi and then yeah.
Speaker 1: There's yeah it was, but not much we can do about now. But you can tell that.
Speaker 7: I'll see everyone's come back a.
Speaker 10: Bit hurt, but review that and yeah, we're just pumped the ready to go.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was a good season for the club.
Speaker 2: I guess with the roster of that you've gone with Brandy Charge, you can really challenge for those tops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay on wigging and challenge for choices.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think especially after the last two years where we've not made the topic, because it's sort of put us back in the right direction and we're the top four, top four team again. Kabous to get them top two spots this year because it's be good.
Speaker 2: I'm easily got it, but we fell off. But even if you came fast year, so hopefully we'll sort of get this year. I don't know your contract, Chy and you talks in a clown, Can you tell anything about where that's ad or yeah?
Speaker 1: Your future just talking to obs.
Speaker 10: Always been in talkatily the whole time, and there's been some interests coming from elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Well, just starting and trying to get hopefully get sumer so.
Speaker 2: I know you've been in a club for five six years. It's quite a long time, made over one hundred appearances. I think I guess that your preference would be decided if you can work, because you'll have the farm in the city.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent.
Speaker 10: It's been It's been good to me, Alou when Witness went into administration, and I'll say it might have been playing championship, which would have been a completely different stories. Yeah, they actually took a took a chat on me and so come from the having been so really grateful and it's as one of the best clubs, if not the best club in the world.
Speaker 1: So yea with us and I think been a month away Vegas. Yeah, have you've been before? And how much are you looking forward to that?
Speaker 2: Plan?
Speaker 1: The legis training I've never been for.
Speaker 10: As soon as we got announced who I was watching loads of videos on YouTube of all what's there and looking at all the stuff from last year when the clubs went a really excited things. There's not really many opportunities that you get like this when you when you play, so definitely won't take it for granted.
Speaker 2: Jeremiah, how are you finding I guess love from the other side of the world and pre season in the.
Speaker 1: Nice cold now it's good. Obviously, it's the training isue weather here.
Speaker 3: Different to having hot preseason and then cold creature, so a bit hard on the lines, but it's been pretty good.
Speaker 2: And you've come over from from Queensland, from the Cowboys system and the Cadies and the q CAP.
Speaker 1: I guess what was the appeal of the lout Leeds.
Speaker 7: I guess.
Speaker 3: The coach I've bread after we talked and he was really had. He talked to me about having a break future and obviously learning things off.
Speaker 4: Him and what he thinks I could bring to the team.
Speaker 7: So that that's probably what what I mean people got coming into for.
Speaker 2: The Rhinos fans, I guess who haven't seen you play, probably didn't see you in boxing that I guess, what can you What can you bring to the team.
Speaker 3: My aggression, I think for everyone I take or thinks he plus boss mine, so that's why I think I can really bring to him, especially my size. So okay, that's the big attraction for these fans.
Speaker 2: Come watch and you've got coach player and custardson down in Mackay obviously a former leagues player today, give you an advice or talk to you about about comings of the runners.
Speaker 3: No, so I shouldn't tell him until I actually got placed off obviously going to comment.
Speaker 7: He just told me that's a great club and he looks looks.
Speaker 3: Towards to me being he's always a great free non club and I see his club.
Speaker 1: So that's for me.
Speaker 2: And you've got a trip to Vegas round two. Have you been in Vegas before? Looking forward to that.
Speaker 4: Now, I've actually.
Speaker 3: Was my first time moving on to the country, said, Vegas be a new experience for me, So hopefully over there.
Speaker 2: And you've had any chance to sort of watch the NRL and Super League in Vegas enough alleged stadium playing in the NFL ground, Yeah, I always.
Speaker 3: Watched it, watching the last year for the last few years, and that's pretty pretty cool to actually just do his standing.
Speaker 2: Foot in a really a great stadium.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you're back with Liam john on Super League three sixty, Angus Crichton and Mark nowanganesa man. No agase, I'm going to be playing Rarah in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: They are, I mean the Angus krat one. I don't think anyone's really surprised that this has been ongoing for what two years, you know, I think he was. I can't remember which GPS school he came to. Everybody he played union league as young stratink.
Speaker 1: I've got a new incin in my head for some reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Cameron Murray might have been Newington, or maybe they both were Newington. But he's always He's always been a dual co kind of player in the sense that had the education in both codes. I think he's always you know, he grew up wanting to play for the Wallabies. From the league point of view, it is a shame because I think, you know, he's been one of the best back robbers in the world the last couple of years. Very good in the Ashes, Scott's College, Scott's College. Yeah, but I mean good luck to him.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 2: The Wallabies are going to have a very strong NRL contingent, aren't they. Obviously with so I Ee and Tom Wright the former mainly fallback. Looks like Zach Lomax won't be going to union. He's trying to find his way back into the NROL. But Paramounter, well, that was the other one I was going to bring up.
Speaker 1: I mean, Zach Lomax is twenty twenty six is Ben Hunt because as we've said before, John that that wasn't rhyming slang by the way it was. It was a reference to the fact that bent Hunt dominated the media landscape in a couple of off seasons, because it was a willie or won't he And again it speaks to this changing media landscape that a reference often that there's less journalists now, so when the senior ones go off for the summer break, there's less junior writers and less junior hacks trying to get some tried to get some news. So they just recycle, recycle, and just pick on one thing and recycle it and recycle it and get whatever goodly can. And this year is the summer of Zach Lomax, unfortunately. You know, Monday, it's Zach Lomax's is going Tuesday, is staying Wednesday. He clipped his toenails Thursday, got his hair done Friday, you know, so it's this is the summer of Zach Lomax, unfortunately in Australia. So no offense to Zach Lomax. I mean, what's interesting about Zach Lomax. The public look at him as someone who contract hops and you don't have to go far to see that opinion. However, his manager was on a podcast recently and said, well, Zach Lomax was promised this at his first club. I'm having another senior moment. He came from Saint George and he did. He was told he was going to be at Saint George's full back, and then they took other options and ended up on the wing. And then he went to Paramatta to play full back under Brad Arthur. The coach got moved and Clint and and when Clint Gutherson left, he still didn't get full back. And so from from that, I think he wanted center a parent matter. But he was right with Clem Gartherson, and that was a lot of reasons he went.
Speaker 2: To Yeah that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry mom.
Speaker 2: Again, there's always there's always two sides the story. I think his manager was panning out that the Zach is a player who likes different challenges, he likes to test himself. From that, it's perfectly fine. Obviously he wanted to go to R three sixty. That didn't happen, and that was the other beat up that we had for several months. R three sixty in the amount of people saying it was, you know, this massive threat when really it wasn't. But I believe three sixties lasted longer than our three sixty on zach Lovak's look. I think at the end of the days he did sign, you know, his exit with Paramatter is that he wouldn't be going to another an oral club without their permission or without their negotiation. So Paramatta, who within their rights. People forget you know, what happened with Gordon Tallis. I think was it ninety six. I think it was ninety six, But basically, when the Super League War happened, he agreed to go to the Broncos to leave Saint Georgia Lawara, and Saint Georgia Lawara wouldn't let him go and he sat out a year, you know, And I mean that never happens anymore, does it, Because generally contracts aren't worth the paper they print it on. But you know, I think Paramatter are within their rights to do that. I don't know whether there could be, you know, if he goes to Melbourne, be some sort of trade where they pick up a player. You know, that's what you see in the NBA, in the NFL and other competitions. But it's a difficult situation for Zach. I mean, apparently he fancies himself as a bit of a boxer too, so maybe'll he'll go and fight Nelson a few bouts this year and then back on the fuddy field in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: But you know, I always say, they only do this because we're a salary cap sport and they can earn whatever they want somewhere else, or if we don't want our players to sniff around, pay them more.
Speaker 2: And I have some sympathy to Zach in the sense that clubs do the same thing. They'll sign someone on a massive deal, not get value from and then try and move them on or you know, try and freeze about. It happens in every spot Hamson football, happens in rugby league, you name it. So it goes both ways. But at this point it's it's it's Zach who's who's got a lump it? And and PARAMOUTNTA looked to be in a strong position.
Speaker 1: I was listening. I was just doing a job, Johnny's job. And you want to talk about the fans in the North, Yeah, opinions on London and France.
Speaker 2: I'll be I'll be careful to frame up because I think today on a on a message board, I do love the message boards with people without names or identities or anything. But I was accused of spreading propaganda. Will actually I mean I think Steve Mascord, me and Steve get thrown in together. But as it was an interview that Steve did you know the propaganda that they wanted to kick the French teams out, which didn't happen, And it wasn't propaganda, it was what numerous sources were telling us. It's what you know, several clubs had voiced there whatever you would like to call it, dislike of French clubs, so it's not propaganda. And the similar thing happened with London. There's a lot of people and it's not every rugby league fan the North, but it is. He would say a vocal morority minority is that some of them don't want to see let's call them expansion teams do well. And you could say London to lose Catalans Toronto previously, they don't want, you know, rugby league to they really in reality, they don't actually want rugby league to thrive in new markets because they wanted to keep it as their game. They don't want to expand, and there was some of the similar commentary around, you know, the RFLA helping London, blah blah blah. The RFLA aren't helping London, not giving them any money, They're not giving them any support. It's all being done by the Broncos themselves, by Darren Lockyer and his group, and they're spending a lot of money to do it. A similar case with Toronto. Toronto never got any central funding, which eventually was one of the reasons why they went under. And now with cat Lands, and it's this actually a story that Steve Maskell did last year. He interviewed Steve McNamara, who was still the cat Lands coach then, and he pointed out how cat Lands, which were formed in two thousand and six, they were everyone's favorite club, sorry, second favorite club. Everyone loved them because they were the plucky little underdogs.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: It was a great place to go out beating everybody. Yeah, exactly. And then I think it was twenty eighteen my own senior moment. I was at the game, but I think it was twenty eighteen they beat Warrington in the Change Cup Final, and then they made two Grand Finals in the space of two or three years, and they started to be a top team and you know, tracting players and et cetera. And then people started, you know saying, oh, well, they've got to put a bond up for the Challenge Cup and now we've got to get them to pay a million pounds a year to pay for the traveler other team. So you just see, there's there's an attitude there that exists. And you know, I get that reaction from lots of people online, whether they be from trolls or burn recounts or whatever. And there is this kind of protectionism, shall we call it, for those who are you know, outside the heartlands.
Speaker 1: Mat Brexit, mate, get the immigrants out. Well, there's there's that in Australia all the time. I'm an immigrant. I think we don't get.
Speaker 2: There is an element of that. But if you're a rugby league fan, if you're a proper rugby league fan, it's quite it's kind of cutting off your nose despite your face, Like why would you not want the game to thrive in France? In London? You know? And I had one person who commented they'd obviously not you know, been paying attentional you know, why doesn't the NRL have all these teams in Victoria and Wa and everything, And it was kind of like, well, if you look at the history of the New so well as RL, you know they brought in Wollongong and Canberra in eighty two, and then they brought in Newcastle and Brisbane in eighty eight, and then brought in the Warriors, and they brought in First Adelaide and you know some of those clubs went past and Super Leigu war and then they've started to expand again and doorphans working and person coming in and P and g's coming in, so they are expanding it might not have been.
Speaker 1: And in the lower grades. P and G have played in the Queensland Cup for at least a decade. I think now Fiji have played in the New South Wales one New Zealand as well. Am I Rundown. I love the fact that you mentioned the word propaganda all the time because I've actually got the French word for propaganda, which is proper gandhi, So that's quite appropriate. That's the universe, John, because in Lee's laugh, which can be a haha or you're having a laugh. I'm going to talk about clubs off season messaging, the stuff that they try and control. Okay, so this is this is influenced by Golcost Titans. So about ten years years ago, I coached a couple of players in one of my jobs in a big elite program, and they went to play for the Go Cost Titans and one of them, well both of them. One of them in particular was let's just say very economical in the gymnasium. That's my polite's way of saying. He did sweet Fanny Adams, right, and his strength scores weren't anything flash, but he was one of those players this, okay, mate, you just do what you do and score some tries for me in the game.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He was at Titans that summer and they were trumpeting the fact that he'd broken all the gym records at the club. This is the same player, And I'm thinking, God, either he was secretly training and we didn't know, or all the Titans must be lifting polo mints or donuts on the end of pencils kind of thing. So I've had subtly they have had a look at that every year, what's coming out of their club and every year. It's how hard the training and everything else. So I did a bit of a review of what the clubs have been saying over the summer. Okay, interlose. The news is actually called actualities in French, which means current events, not novelle, which is the French for.
Speaker 7: News.
Speaker 1: York, there was a Sydney Morning Herald article which I'm sure they're very happy with, with a suggestion that the Australian businessmen are doing the Rugby League's version of Wrexham FC. Now that what concerned me when I woke this morning was your telling me that Wrexham is actually London. So I don't know who's Rexam so maybe they maybe York and London should play for the Wrexham Cup. Yeah. Back in France, and somebody said somewhere that the current coach reminds them of Trent Robinson, not Steve McNamara's who's he's probably been the most successful coaching Atalantis Saints have gone back to their nineteen ninety six kit design essentially, which was when they won the first Super League title. Well left, so he responded to their neighbors dominating the game by appointing their old CEO again. Bulls seem the braff of Bulls seem to have brought the run with the Bulls phrase back back into their actualities. They for those who don't know, run with the Bulls was a song they brought out, oh about twenty odd years ago actually, So I hope this person who had got these people who had to go at me remember, knows that I know the song run with the Bulls, and they seem to be using that term again this offseason, no doubt to get some nostalgia going. Wakefield started Trinity TV on New Year's Eve, so there will be no doubt trying to control their messaging and then of course there's a few people we might go off message a little bit sometimes. Castleford Tiger's assistant Scott Murell praise their new signing, Jimmy Beckett, who'd been signed about a week before from part time Featherstone, and after one friendly game, tipped him to replicate the Super League success of Saint Helen's Alex Walmsley. So that was quite a big leap in one game. I'm sure. I'm sure the coach and players were happy with that. That's quite a lot of pressure and of course Castleford dev had to navigate the collapse of the Benadorme Bash, which, for those who don't know, with some event that was meant to be happening in Benadorm, Wigan. We're going are currently in Tenna Reef and the CEO is blogging, the CEO Chris Redlinski. I've also no apparently they've got a hooker that reminds them of Terry Newton. So yeah, but this is what happens, isn't it in the off season people? But my absolute favorite John and I mentioned alf Rimmer in the opener, how he's been brought back to bring past glories to this club, Huddersfield Giants, and they've got a concept called Giants Giants Unleashed. Now I googled this and it's actually something to do with WWE. But I had to navigate the internet waters and go back to Giants Unleashed in its Huddersfield guys, which is a dynamic club wide reset. It's a new energy, it's a fresh and shared belief. It's a real focus, it's a complete togetherness. It's a momentum. And in a press release on the sixteenth of January titled Giants Unleashed, a new era. The journey of Giants Unleashed began over a lunch in July twenty twenty five, and since then has continued to gather pace. So lunch in twenty twenty five, are we talking subway or was it a piss up and the few ideas started flowing? We're talking like a load of white speak. That is, I mean, that's that's whoever right that should be working for Donald tramp or Castarma and God have not finished. Everyone understands the size of the task and what needs to be done, and it is that undeniable passion for success that is inspirational and unstoppable. This club has really challenged itself. Giants Unleashed is a result and is a complete change of mindset. We are rapidly transforming internally in three ways. Strategically, vision, mission, and business plans. It says in brackets, culturally, values and identity in brackets, and through increased connect we will bring it says. We will will bring Giants Unleash to life and to you overcoming months, and it will manifest itself in many ways. You will see and share in our successes. Will this happen overnight?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Will we get things wrong on occasion, yes. Will we still lose games unfortunately, yes. Will we be criticized along the way, Yes, absolutely, but let's be brave and confident. Will wee bring them up in Lee's laugh Yes. Are we ambitious, Yes, very much so. Do we now have clear objectives and direction?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Are we entering an exciting new chapter? Yes? Should you be part of it? Yes? Now this sounds I've done some analyses. Sounds to me like a souped up way of saying. Rather, Umber did a three month review and now he's on the board and he's now a director for change. I reckon he was at that lunch the Tony. He's the Tony Blair of the Board of Peace, but he's a big board of change.
Speaker 2: I think the bit that they got me at the start when you said about past glories, Now, I think hards Filmed won the League Ladies Shield in twenty thirteen, but they have one squad before that or after it. So past Glories is clutching a bit there. It's doing a favorite of heavy lifting.
Speaker 1: And when I go through the attendances, you realize also why I went with Past Glories. Their goal apparently is to achieve a Grand Final spot within three years. They finished tenth in twenty twenty five with twenty losses. They need to find a new ground. And the average four two and twenty six fans in twenty twenty five, which is their lowest average attendance for twenty one years. That was second lowest only to Salford who are now no longer in Super League, and their attendances have headed south every year since COVID basically, and it was dipping all but two years before then too, so COVID could be a factor, but it's not as big a factor. They've basically lost almost three and a half thousand fans since two thousand and eight when they used to average seven eight hundred and twenty and back in the year two thousand they averaged only three thousand fans. But they were merged with with Sheffield then and when it googled it further like I say, it's a WWE Supercard, whatever that means, and.
Speaker 2: Was so successful that it was nicknamed Shadowsfield. I think I've governed had a Field quite a bit of the last decade or so, and I think you could always say there are a club that's really struggled for an identity for a purpose. They seem to have that sort of around that pool where innocenario when they had success, you know, they finished top and they had you know, Jermaine mcgilvrey and Leary Kudo, and they had a lot of homegrown players. But they've really struggled to have a fan base, to achieve on the field, to connect off it. They're in a stadium that's far too big for them. They want to move to Halifax, but it's hard to see how that's going to help them. They want to build a new ground, but they don't have approval for that, so they're kind of in no man's land. I think the club really needs a whole proper makeover and new leadership. But it sounds like we've just got lovely soundbites and you.
Speaker 1: Know, I think that's quite a lot of posturing for a club that's got some really scary metrics.
Speaker 2: In terms of the funny, well, the funny thing with Audisthood I find is that people always mention it. You know, it's the birthplace of rugby league, and you know it's also to be a death place. Looking at those figures, well, the Georgia Hotel was where the first meeting came in eighteen ninety five, but I think it was held there not because Huddersfield is a massive rugby league city or town. It's because it was sort of in between all the points that people were coming from, and you know, Huddersfield Town, the local football club, get a lot more fans and they've rarely been in the Premier League in the last twenty thirty years, so it's yeah, it's it's a place where the game isn't thriving and hasn't been for a long while. But yeah, the Giants have got a lot of work to do, you know, to improve on where they finished last year and making a Grand Final in the next three years. I really can't see that happening, but we'll have to wait and see. But they're unleashed, John, they are unleased.
Speaker 1: That's good. They're unleashed. And what was it at the start again, it's a dynamic club wide reset, new energy, shared and fresh belief, are real focus, are complete together as a momentum. So I thought that was the best. You do agree with me? That's the winner.
Speaker 2: That is the winner at.
Speaker 1: Martin Sadler said this week he said he should have a look at the gambling provisions and see what odds you can get for Huddersfield to win the first five games. So maybe he's been caught by this proper Gandhi. I normally I normally add an analysis thing at the end of this podcast. But John, because this podcast is going to be quite long with the audio, going to put that into a separate YouTube YouTube clip, it's already up there. I've done an analysis this week on jez Litton. Basically what you'll find John is and I think this is possibly indicative for the English game and how it took its eye off the ball in the last decade or so. There's quite a lot of things in his game that he needs to fix, particularly vis a vis tackle technique and his position in the defensive line. And he's probably England's premier hooker right now, isn't it all right? He's by far? Yeah?
Speaker 7: And is it?
Speaker 1: You know he's twenty seven turning twenty eight this year, so he's essentially in his peak so great player and Brisbane will have to watch him in the World Cup Challenge. But you know, when I do these analysis videos and what the trolls don't seem to understand on Facebook is I'm coming from the point of view as a coach or who's coaching against him, or a coach who wants to improve him, and therefore you look for things and you notice things. And yeah, this this analysis video which is already on the Rugby League YouTube, we'll show some of these things. But at the same time, I'm saying Brisbane are going to have to really what because his instincts around the player the ball, you only have to put one eyebrow out of play of marker and he goals. He's really good at that. So he definitely caught my eye in the Super League Grand Final last year and I thought he was excellent when he played for England.
Speaker 2: So your DMS building up with angry ok our fans already, that's right, that's right. I'll make sure to tag them in Busy week coming up? Not too badly, not too bad.
Speaker 1: I mean we're getting there now, aren't we Mean it's only a matter of weeks now till the Super League season, so we'll be we'll be weekly by then, if not before, We've got all ideas for content and whatnot. So this podcast is going to get better into it. I mean, it can't get much worse.
Speaker 2: So three weeks to the season starts the Super League season Challenge cut back this weekend, but yeah, February twelfth is approaching.
Speaker 1: So who's playing Challenge Cup this weekend? Any anybody in?
Speaker 2: Lots of people?
Speaker 1: Oh is it still lower teams? Lower grade?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, there's a mixture of amateur teams with some of the semi professional teams.
Speaker 1: Are old and playing.
Speaker 2: I believe they are. Yeah, London are playing I think London might be playing Waterhead Warriors. I think loch Lane might be playing whole k Are. I know Sheffield are on.
Speaker 1: Whole k Are. I think it's whole k Are. No, they won't be in the round yet, will they. I think they are.
Speaker 2: It's a bit of a mixture anyway. But it's a long list of fixtures.
Speaker 1: We're not going to go well. I was waiting for the journalists to rattle out all the fixtures, about two hundred of them, aren't they It's exactly. It's the oldest competition in rugby league and it's also one of one of the few competitions like the f A Cup that starts before the last one ends, so because everybody can be in it basically all right, have a good week, John, Thanks Lee,