Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 4: Let's I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 5: So just thank you, give me all your attention, your fire, and not a pisses.
Speaker 6: This is world champion, Dodger world championing for a.
Speaker 7: Small soft time they get a people what they want to die in a row two is special.
Speaker 8: I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache one of them.
Speaker 9: Con this ball's gone. You ready to go show old time, Go to.
Speaker 6: The sound, grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show. And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 9: Oh geez, what a way to start Dodger Talk. I get a broom emoji from Mark goobizaw Angels broadcaster. Thanks a lot, Gooby. Welcome to Dodger Talk David Bassey live at Dodgers Stadium with you until five thirty today, taking your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. And yes, the Angels beat the Dodgers six to four today. And yes, they sweep the Dodgers at Dodgers Stadium for the first time since June of twenty ten, and the Dodgers have bigger problems than just losing a three game series. Being swept by one of the worst hitting teams in Major League Baseball obviously not ideal, but the trend continues. Very difficult to beat any team out there when your starters are only going four innings. And I don't have the average of innings in the last two weeks, three weeks, but I know what happened in this series, and they got three lack luster starts in this series against the Angels. Dustin May the only starter in this series to go five innings, but he didn't pitch that great. Clayton Kershaw coming back for the first time in over a year, through thirty eight pitches in the first inning, gave up three runs and you can kind of understand that. And then Tony Gonsolin today four innings, he had blood on his pants after he ripped skin off his right thumb. You know, our moms always teach us, don't pick your skin, just leave it there, Okay, don't pick your skin, especially when you're about to come out and pitch a major league game. But nonetheless, Tony got out there and pitched for four innings, but he was not very good. Five walks, four runs, and Dave Roberts went to his bullpen, which is now even thinner than it was twenty four hours ago because the Dodgers did place Kirby Eates on the injured list after he came out of last night's game with a right hamstring strain. So you look at this Dodger bullpen, And I said this to Jose Moda and Steven Nelson during the broadcast. The Dodgers two most trusted and experienced relievers to come in in a high leverage situation right now, and right now, that's Tanner Scott and Alex Vesia, Blake Trinon, IL, Evan Phillips, IL, Kirby Yates, IL Michael Kopek, who's on a rehab assignment, has not thrown one pitch in the big leagues this year, IL Bruce Star Grattol with a shoulder surgery during the offseason. IL. This kind of reminds me of that two week stretch last year in the middle of the season, right around the All Star break, right after the All Star break, where the Dodgers were playing guys like Cavin Bigio and Taylor Tremmel. That's kind of how it feels right now. With the Dodger bullpen, they're gonna have to weather this storm because Anthony Banda has no business being in a Tide game at this point in time. But because of where the Dodger bullpen is and who's available he was. He's given up more home runs this year than he or the same amount of home runs this year as he gave up all of last year, including two Grand Slams. I think we all remember those and today the go ahead home run to Travis Darnault. I know he became a cult hero because he took his shirt after in the parade. But the reality is the Dodgers took Anthony Bonda from obscurity last year and put him in positions to succeed, and those positions were not high leverage situations. But that's what they're trying to do this year, and it hasn't worked. I'm not sure he's meant for those moments. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number the Dodgers disappointing three game sweep here and when I'm looking at the Dodger bullpen right now. I mentioned this the other day and I'll see it again. It's Nick Frosso. Time. The Dodgers need Nick Frosso. He's on the forty man roster. It would be a very easy move to make. They need a good bullpen arm. And I know he's a rookie. And now Dave Roberts basically has rookies and veterans journeymen in his bullpen. With the way things are right now, let's head downstairs right now to hear from the manager Dave Roberts about the state of his starting staff and the state of his bullpen.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's not sustainable. I think that I personally just look at each night and try to figure out who's available and how to try to win the game, cover the game, protect players, and that's kind of sort of the math, and you put these pieces together and try to away on in my decision making. But yeah, I mean I think that our starters will, you know, gain some traction to start going deeper because we certainly need it out of the Penya.
Speaker 9: So today was a milestone for the Dodger bullpen after having to cover the final six innings, the Dodger bullpen reached two hundred innings pitched this season. The next closest bullpen to throw that many innings this year the Miami Marlins and the Chicago White Sox one hundred and eighty three and one hundred and eighty four innings pitched. This just can't go on and tomorrow they got landing knack on the mound. And when you look at the Dodger rotation minus Tyler Glass now and Blake Snell and Roki Sazaki, really the only dependable starter in this rotation, dominant starter is Yoshi Yamamoto, and after that it's a flip of the coin these days. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to mission Viejo. Bill. You're on Dodger Talk live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 11: Hi, Bill, Hi, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers starters have given up home runs too a lot lately, not just going you're not being able to go five innings? Is that a concern too, Just the way they haven't took the ball down, It just seems like.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I just think in total, the Dodgers are giving up way too many home runs, not just their starters, but also the relievers in key situations. As a staff, the Dodger staff has given up fifty nine home runs this season. The leader in that category is the Baltimore Orioles. Thanks for the phone call, Bill, appreciate that contribution. Let's go out to Riverside, Adrian. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Adrian, he's getting yourself. Oh hey, it's a young kid. Hi, Adrian, Hi, what do you want to ask?
Speaker 12: I wanted to ask. Obviously, the Dodger bullpen is one of the most heave heavenly used bullpens in baseball, and now with Roki Sazaki down, Blake's Bell down, and Tyler Glacknow down, I was really wondering how they're gonna push forward now having two to three bullpen games a week.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, no more bullpen games, Adrian, even though it feels that way with their starters only going four innings seemingly. But thank you for the phone call. That's the good news. They're not doing the bullpen games intentionally. It's unintentional in some of these starts, these guys that want opportunities and in spring training we're hoping to prove that they belong in this rotation. Now's the time to step up and raise your hand and be that guy. I mean, this is when the Dodgers need Tony Gonsolin, Dustin May and Landon Knack. If Landon Nack and Tony Gonsolin and Dustin May believe they're that guy, they've got to start pitching like it. And quite honestly, Tony Gonsolin has Dustin May started out well, but he's let his emotions get the best of him. Again. Let's squat downtown La. Manny, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 13: Hi, Manny, Hey Dave, first time calling this year.
Speaker 14: Good to hear you.
Speaker 13: Man I want to just give a quick shout out to Chris Taylor. I was a very big fan of his and so was my girlfriend. I will never forget being at the World Series game in twenty seventeen first pitch home run off Dallas Kichel and he wore the uniform. Well, he was out of the media for no bad comments or no negative media, and you know, he just did the Dodgers a great service by being part of the team. So thank you, Chris. But it is a business and you know, if you're not performing on this team and you're not doing your job as best as you can, they're going to replace you and they're going to figure it out. So one of my main concerns, and I know everyone's calling about it, what to do with all the bullpen injuries now with Kirby Yates being out? Are we going to see Bobby Miller come back for a third stint?
Speaker 9: You know? Are you saying, are you asking if Bobby Bobby Miller is going to come back for a third stint in the bullpen for the first time?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: As a starter?
Speaker 13: You know, we're just we're short staff right now.
Speaker 9: I mean to help the bullpen. They're not short staff. They have guys, but they're not pitching that well right now. They have guys. Their rotation is back to being five, you know, without Glass, now without Snell. They got guys, and these guys have got to do it.
Speaker 13: Gotta do it, man, please guys.
Speaker 9: I mean, I don't know. I mean, Andrew Freeman and Dave Roberts can only do so much at this point. These guys have wanted this opportunity. They felt like they're that guy. Then be that guy.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I agree, I just with everything happening, just unfortunate injuries and early exits from the from the starters many.
Speaker 9: You know, at some point the players have got to play. The players have got to pitch. Okay, I mean injuries are part of it, and everybody wants their opportunity. They all felt like they deserve to be that guy, be part of the rotation. Well, now they're getting an opportunity. Take it and run with it. Thanks for the phone call, man, He appreciate it. Good call on Chris Taylor as well. We all sensed it. Hayesng Kim was not going anywhere. When Tommy Edmund came back, Tommy Edmund was activated, he started in center field today. Chris Taylor had a great Dodger career. We'll celebrate him with some of the more memorable moments in his Dodger postseason career later in the show, but earlier today. Andrew Friedman spoke publicly since cutting ties with longtime Dodgers Austin Barnes and Chris Taylor. Here's what he had to say. Where's your starting to pitch? You get right now with snow and glass?
Speaker 15: Now are you opted to stare at that club out?
Speaker 9: Hey? Guys. Sorry, that was about the Dodgers starting pitching. So we'll get to that in a moment, and we'll hear what Andrew Freeman had to say about Chris Taylor and Austin Barnes and cutting ties with him. Let's go out to you, Kaypa Eric, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Eric?
Speaker 14: I'm doing good? Thanks, Dave. Hey, Dave, I just want to say to all the Angels fans, you guys should be ashamed of yourself.
Speaker 13: Have you guys can compete this hard for these three games?
Speaker 2: Why are you guys in last place?
Speaker 4: There should be.
Speaker 14: No celebrating the dugout and stuff like that. It's all I want to say. And hey, Dave, can you just tell us a little bit of Andy Pojas because I see him talking to the hitting coaches like he's all in home.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I like him.
Speaker 3: He's awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 9: You know what's great about Andy Pa has he has worked his way to this. He's the first guy out there. He works daily and he tries to beat Dino Ebel out to the field to do outfield drills, to run the bases, to long toss. Taoscar Hernandez helped him as far as the hitting goes and where his head's at. So that's that's on Andy paj Has. When I talk about taking the opportunity and making the most of it. He could have curled up in fetal position after the first two rough weeks, but he kept going and look where he's at right now now. You know, everybody wanted to send Paz down after the first two weeks, but the Dodgers stayed the course and gave him a larger sample size. So that's where things are with Andy poe Has and couldn't be happier for the hardware work that he's put in. All Right, thanks for the phone call, Eric Collin. Do we have Andrew Friedman talking about Austin Barnes and Chris Taylor, because Andrew spoke this morning about it for the first time since having to say goodbye to two guys that he brought in. He traded for Austin Barnes in that three way deal with the Marlins in twenty fifteen. He traded Zach Lee for Chris Taylor from the Mariners in twenty sixteen, and Chris Taylor turned out to be a big part of the Dodgers during his tenure. Here here's what Andrew Freeman had to say this morning.
Speaker 15: No decision has ever made in a vacuum. It's within the context of our roster and where we're at. And so, you know, he's done a great job. Rush talked about the other day. You know, when we drafted him, obviously we loved the bat, didn't have a ton of experience behind the plate. Have challenged him each year with different goals and things to work on, and to his credit, he has an incredible motor and work ethic and has continued to get better and better and better and better. And so on one hand there is the element of you know, the guys who have been here and been a big part of what we've done, and the other is looking ahead, who is going to be a part of, you know, the next wave And it's far from science. It's it's art, and it's difficult, and it's you know, I think the end for people that you know have been such significant contributors. It's never going to feel good. And it's been tough for a lot of us this week, but you know, felt like in Russia's development, where he's at, what he's done, that he had earned this right and that he would help us be able to win games and continue his development. You know, the last mile part of a catcher's development plan is leading and running a major league staff, and you can't really do that unless you're up here, you know, catching some games. So I felt like at this point that was an everyone's best interest. You know, we didn't feel like coming into the season this is something that we would necessarily be doing in May. But you learn things and things change and things evolve and play out. You know, we just have a lot more information at this point in May than we do before the season. So I wouldn't say it was something that we thought was fait a company and was necessarily going to happen. But with where we were all things fat Doctor Dan again, well, not easy. We felt like it was the right thing to do.
Speaker 9: And kudos to Andrew Friedman because it's not easy to say goodbye to guys that he brought in. I guess you could always say this about GMS. In any sport, it's tougher to say goodbye to guys that you brought in, you traded for, you drafted, And that's the case with Chris Taylor and Austin Barnes. But let's not you know, pretend that things were going great for Chris Taylor the last couple of years, and you bring in a player like Hayesan Kim, who has certainly made an impact in minimal opportunities with his speed, with his fielding. That was Chris Taylor's role to pinch run, to come in late for defense, and Kim is just a younger, better option right now for the Dodgers and their roster construction off the bench, and look at Austin Barnes and Chris Taylor when they first started getting regular playing time. They took time away from longtime Dodgers Andre Ethier and aj Ellis. And that's the evolution organically of a successful organization. And you can go even further back than just this thirteen year period if you go back to the early eighties, the late seventies, the famed infield of Garvey, Loops Russell and say that hurt a lot more for those Dodger fans. When Greg Brock was wearing number nine in playing first base, Steve Sachs took over first Davey Lops was the first member that famed infield to move on when Al Campanis decided to call up Steve Sacks, who won Rookie of the Year his first season in nineteen eighty two. Bill Russell was the dean of the infield. He stayed the longest. Ron Say moved on and they went to Bill Madlock and Pedro Guerrero. But this happens. And also, you know, I feel like there were more impactful players that already have moved on, Corey Seeger, Cody Bellinger, Justin Turner. Those to me hurt more than these two because Chris Taylor and Austin Barnes, the Dodgers really took care of them. Chris Taylor got a four year, sixty million dollar contract. Austin Barnes was with the How many times have you heard a backup catcher stay with one team for as long as Austin Barnes did, and the Dodgers picked up his contract option of three and a half million dollars this year. I'm not sure many other teams would have done that. So I feel like Andrew Friedman, as much as it stinks to release or DFA these two guys, I don't know how they could harbor any ill will towards him or the Dodgers. He gave them every opportunity to extend their careers with the Dodgers, but better options in Dalton Rushing and Hayesung Kim. But nonetheless, I know over the last two years many of you have called in even when Chris Taylor wasn't playing, just randomly called in to kick Chris Taylor when he was down. Let's not forget all the great moments Chris Taylor had as a Dodger. I know it wasn't pretty the last couple of years, but there was a reason why he stuck around this long. He had a lot of great moments from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty one and was a very valuable member of the team. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out. When we come back, we'll check in with jose Mota. We'll take more of your phone calls. Also, we'll get to some of those memorable moments from Chris Taylor, and we will hear from Andrew Friedman about Blake Snell and Tyler Glassnell. And we'll try to read between the lines, because he kind of danced around the question anyway, Dodgers fall to the Angel six to four. LA Sports.
Speaker 7: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 9: Will Smith can tie the game with one swing.
Speaker 7: This ball is hitting the air to left field.
Speaker 8: Indeed, this ball is good. Just like that, we are time.
Speaker 9: Will Smith doing what Will Smith has done since twenty nineteen. Coming up clutch. That was a two out, game time three run home run for the Dodgers in the seventh inning off a journeyman Sean Sean Anderson. But unfortunately Sean Anderson was able to settle down after that and the Dodger helped him out. He becomes the winning pitcher despite giving up that game time three run home run. Anthony Banda takes the loss after he promptly gave up the go ahead home run to Travis Darnault in the eighth inning. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to AM five seventy lassports dot com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the very next game. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. We're taking you to six o'clock tonight on AM five to seventy LA Sports David Vasse Live at Dodgers Stadium. Coming up in the next half hour. You'll hear some of those memorable Chris Taylor moments. You'll hear from Andrew Friedman about Tyler Glassnell and Blake Snell. We'll get to Jose Mota, but first let's go back out to the phones. David in Temecula. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Hi, David, how you doing, David all days?
Speaker 16: A great guys, Baby, We're.
Speaker 9: Beloved, Yeah we are. David's are the best.
Speaker 11: Yeah, what David is better than two Steeds?
Speaker 4: That's what That's what I tell my neighbors like that.
Speaker 14: All right, My girlfriend's really, really really upset.
Speaker 2: TT three was her.
Speaker 16: Uh most favorite player in the world, and I just don't think he got a fair shot this year.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 16: And and there's two people on the roster Conperto and uh out and that they could have let go and CC three never really got enough playing time to to proove himself this year. I feel he kind of got a short end of the stick. And uh, you know, we just have splinters in his app the whole the whole time, all year.
Speaker 9: And uh, who is he going to play over.
Speaker 11: Over?
Speaker 9: I mean they paid. I mean, come on, Michael Conford to at this stage of his career, is a better player than Chris Taylor. I'm sorry, come on, David, Yeah, but I mean he's a guy that is driving the ball much better. Chris Taylor hasn't really made contact with the baseball much. And look, even Andrew Friedman said this. It's hard for him to play once a week. It's hard for anybody. But it just it just wasn't there for Chris Taylor, going back to spring training, going back to two years. Come on, David, I love Chris Taylor more than anybody. It just wasn't there.
Speaker 16: And then Austin Barnes as well. Man, I mean, I don't know, he couldna let him count. Chris kept one more game and then.
Speaker 14: Let him go.
Speaker 9: You know, I mean, I mean, I know it sounds like you're you're doing this with your heart and your emotions, and I love it because those guys do have a resume do have a track record. It was interesting timing, but I mean it's tough Dalton rushing. We already have seen this guy is he's ready for prime time, David. And you know, a big part of baseball these days is stealing bases, and you've got to be able to control the running game. And I just don't feel like Austin was one hundred percent with that throwing.
Speaker 14: Arm right now, right, I agree?
Speaker 9: All right, thank you for the phone call. I'm sorry you and your girlfriend in are upset. Many people in La are. You know, it's funny we get a call like that, but for the last two years I've been fielding NonStop calls about getting rid of Chris Taylor. Now everybody wants the Dodgers to keep him. I mean, come on, let's go out to Pasadena. Leo, you're on Dodger Talk Live from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 14: Hi, Leo, Hi, they be.
Speaker 17: First time color. Congratulations, your show is great.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 17: I wanted to ask you a question. You're very close to the team, and I don't think it's a coincidence that we have so many peachers hurts all the time. It was last year, it was a day before it was easier again, there might be something going on with the way they're practicing the routines, the schedules. I don't know what's your take on that, because when I look at the other teams, we don't see this number of teaches hurt all the time.
Speaker 14: We'll love to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 9: Well, take a deeper look, because other teams do have pictures that get hurt, and I feel like every case is individual. Blake Trenan's pushed to the max last year and has a history of arm issues and shoulder issues, so that shouldn't be a surprise that he got hurt. Bruce dar Gradol has been having a shoulder that's been barking for a couple of years. Evan Phillips missed the World Series last year with a shoulder issue and now he's got an elbow issue. He was pushed to the max. Kirby Yates is what thirty six, thirty seven years old. Shouldn't be a surprise that he has pitched in half of the games this year and his hamstring gave out. So I feel like their every case is specific to that pitcher in those circumstances.
Speaker 17: Maybe you give you know, the assle with a push to the max. You know the fact that the word starting pitchers are not going up these five innings might be, but thank you.
Speaker 9: I mean, look at the postseason last year. The Doc pushed these relievers to the max. Those guys pitched more than anybody else because the Dodgers only had two and a half starters. If you look at any pitcher or pitching staff that wins the World Series or goes to the World Series and they're pushed to the max, like at Chris Sale in Boston in twenty eighteen, it took him a couple of years to rebound from that. So we got to take that into account. And not to mention the Dodgers reported a training camp before any other team out there. It was a short offseason for a lot of these guys that were on the team last year.
Speaker 3: That is correct.
Speaker 17: Well, I hope everybody gets healthy because we needed.
Speaker 2: This was embarrassing.
Speaker 17: Not a great week.
Speaker 9: It's a yeah, it wasn't great. It wasn't great. I thought the Dodgers took care of business against the A's, taking two out of three. I felt like they were going to be the ones to sweep the Angels and instead the Angels took advantage of number one. They had a really good game plan against the Dodgers starters, and they took advantage of it. But the Dodger starters have got to pitch better and deeper into games. Let's go out to riverside. Doug, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 1: Doug Hey, Dave went an honor. I just want to say, Dave, you got the most luxurious job in the world talking to those players. You are so spoiled, it's disgusting.
Speaker 9: Oh the glamorous life, Doug. You should see it.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, I could betch.
Speaker 9: They feed me caviar, they bring me champagne as soon as I walk into that clubhouse. I got Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts and show Hao Tani waiting for me at the door. Every day when I walk in with some champagne, with some caviar. I got Tommy Edmund massaging my feet while I do the interviews. Yes, it's so glamorous.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I tell you what. I'm a big Tommy Ebvey fan. He didn't do too much today, but man, I'm glad we got him. Boy Saint Louis really screwed up on that. Well, we got to steel there.
Speaker 14: You can say.
Speaker 9: Why Saint Louis did screw up, but how many gms could have had Tom He had been twenty nine others and Andrew Friedman was the one that swooped in.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: But my point today is I'm surprised that Roberts put Garcia out there when you should. I mean, I'm sold on Sour and Dryer. I mean they didn't even get a chance. I mean there looks to me like they're ready to build up into the point where they can take high pressure leverage. So I'm just letting that.
Speaker 9: But you can't run that guy into the ground too. I mean, he's he's being counted on in different ways for multiple innings. You gotta be careful with him or we're gonna get more phone calls about why are pitchers getting hurt? I would have gone with Sour in the middle of that game instead of Bonda. I really would have. Right now, Bonda needs to reset. The Dodgers have got to get him in lower leverage situations and put him back in the spot that he was in last year, where he was the seventh or eighth relief pitch coming into the game, but with the injuries, they're forced to use him in situations like today. Thanks for the phone call, Doug. I'll send you a picture of me and my reclining chair doing interviews in the Dodger clubhouse. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers fall today six to four. The Angels come to Dodger Stadium and sweep a three game series for the first time since June of twenty ten. How about this, The Dodgers were not the only team to be swept this weekend. Al West versus NL West. The Mariners swept the Padres in a three game series this weekend. The Giants swept the A's in the Bay Area series this weekend. So the Padres and Giants are just a game back of the Dodgers in the NL West. We'll get back to the phone calls in a moment. We'll hear from Andrew Friedman also in a moment.
Speaker 7: But first it's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 9: Jose Mota, you see me every day, the luxurious life of Mookie and Freddy. Welcome me into the clubhouse with Caviare Champagne and maybe even sometimes crow Nuts. I mean I get spoiled every day.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh, you have it so well, Dave, I mean so good to the point where we see you from upstairs going there goes Dave, up, there goes Dave. He's going right, he's going left. No, I mean you work your tail out. There's no doubt about it. There's there's no one between producers saying, hey, by the way, I got you this player to go talk to. It's like, it's all you, man. I've been there before, and I really appreciate what you do. So certainly I can go back and just answer the call of that noise. It's not a glamorous life. As you're feeling content, you have to really earn it. So I applaud you for that.
Speaker 9: Hey, you're grinding it out to Jose Mota filling in for Rick Monday. I mean, fans are upset right now, but I feel like there's a bigger issue problem and that's a very thin bull him these.
Speaker 2: Days, it is, And the biggest thing that managers want is defined bullpen rolls. That is a dream, okay, And the only way that happens is by your starting pitchers going out there and also having defined rolls like a god, they can say, Hey, I know this guy's gonna pitch me into this other thing. I know this guy's gonna give me six. It's the last sixteen games for the Dodgers. Going back to the trip to Atlanta, the Dodgers have had the starting pitchers complete past six innings three times. Okay, after that, you go five, go four. Guess what all those innings, whether there's four where there's three other row, whether it's another five at home, it's it's tough to go out through and just get consistency out of guys, even in performance wise, because now God like Manda today, Banda did his job for one inning, that's all he needed to. But because Tony has the issue with the with the finger and the skin, and then he goes four innings, band has to go back to his second inning after making eight pitches and six strikes in the first time. In the seventh any then he goes out there, ends up with thirty three and just very in effective. I saw a band that throw a couple of change up today, and I don't know if that's in the case, if he's trying to tweak with something, but he's usually what he's good is fastball, slider here is But Dave, the only way to fix this is not even words from your manager or Baseball Operations president. No, it's the players. It's the pictures that have to just have a chat and say, hey, guys, here's here's what I think we need to do. At some point, you've got to just stop being mechanical and just understand what he needs. And guys know how to sort it out by themselves. They've been around this game for a while. But the values do need some hell because this bullpen'sn't gonna be able to withstand this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if you're a picture, if you're landing knack tomorrow, Jose, you got to go to that mound and pitch to contact. Obviously, try to get swing and miss. He had eight strikeouts. Yeah, that was great in his last start. But the primary focus has got to be to be economic and get deep into the game tomorrow.
Speaker 2: That's the first inning. The Angels saw an average of thirty pitches in every first inning. That fills your everything for Landon NAC take note and just understand what's happening. David really goes back to the simplest thing, which is sometimes the hardest thing. It's not either being on that manager you're by yourself, but pitch execution, no velocity. You mentioned next strikeouts, which many people applaud great, but that also takes more pitches. You got to keep your defense alive and making place for you so you know, a well located fastball is still your best friend. It's not practiced enough on baseball nowadays because everybody believes and thrown harder, but also spending the ball more, which kind of contradicts itself. Right, Lamon Nac has a very good breaking both Lamon Nick that's a pretty decent fastball, but he can go out and utilize and the better fastball is the better. It's change up is there's another terrific pitch that he has when he's implemented well according to the count. So to him take notice and just understand that you've got to do homework on who's coming in and know that you still got to locate to keep the ball down and get rolling. But also give your manager that look to hey, I'm gonna change this thing around. It doesn't take a better player or pitcher, but just get look at confidence in body language of confidence to say this time around the rotation, it's gonna be me making a difference, and guys want to see that.
Speaker 9: And I also believe Jose getting into a five day routine for guys like Nac and Gonsolin are going to help them settle in. It's hard to be shoveled from the bullpen to the minor leagues back to starting in the major leagues in Land in next case. So a five day routine means a lot more than what people give it credit for.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt about it. You have your day where you're gonna lift is what you're gonna throw a long toss, you go your bullpen days. I'm a big ponent of even throwing another bullpen in between, just to touch and fie a bullpen. It's gonna be about command, and we talked so much about guys not commanding a pitch or two, and when they have trouble, then you know, pictures play catch every single day, right and you see pictures down the line every single day, MVP doing what one crossing, one throwing. Why not take that to the mound and just say, hey, pitches here and there here in my little bullpen session. Just hit spots, hit spots because obviously everybody's reading radar guns and I think it has not been beneficial for everybody in the game. But I think just the feel of the strike zone in the field, of reading swings in the field where your catcher has been laws and its translated into what we're seeing generally in baseline For the Dodgers, right, I was, it turned out to missing a lot of spots. And teams like the Angels that came into this series bleeding pretty much as one of the worst teams in baseball, Well, they go out with confidence because with two strikes with two outs when they needed and base hit, they found a lot of good pictures to hit.
Speaker 9: Uh did we lose Jose? We lost Jose? All right, Well, check in with Jose tomorrow. He is going to fill in one more game for Rick Monday, as the Dodgers and diamond start a three game series here at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers and Arizona split a four game series last week, and the Diamondbacks are a much better hitting team than what the Angels were. And you heard what Jose had to say. The Dodgers starters in this three game series through an average of thirty pitches. It would be huge. Just keep it simple. It would be huge for the Dodgers to get into that dugout with a zero on the board in that first inning because they have been fighting uphill, offensively, seemingly all season long, because their starters have been giving them a deficit to work with. I mean Otani came to the plate the last two nights with the Dodgers being down three to nothing. Just coming into the dugout tied with no score will be huge tomorrow night for Landon Nak and the Dodgers. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Craig and long beach. Iray, Craig, what do you got today.
Speaker 14: Day, buddy?
Speaker 4: What's going on? Man? How you doing?
Speaker 9: I'm doing great? Talking baseball from Dodger Stadium. It's a glamorous life.
Speaker 4: Taking them on the chin with the little kids down the block there. You know, it's kind of embarrassing, and uh, I'm really not too into it. Just one team. I can't stand as the Angels and I'm getting swept by him does not sit well with me at all.
Speaker 9: The way I felt in this series, Craig. The way I felt in this series was that the first night the Dodgers lost, it was cute the Angels beat them, and then the Dodgers lost last night and it became annoying. And then they got swept for the first time at Dodgers Stadium by the Angels in twenty ten, and then it became upsetting, especially when you're getting broom emojis from Mark goubazaw and text from Mark Langston righty left he won two punch from those two guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's all fine and good, but Gooby and Langston, can you could text? You could send them some emojis when they're sitting at home in October, you can hit them with.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, I will, I will.
Speaker 2: Telling you dude.
Speaker 4: It's like, I mean, Dave, you know me, I'm a pretty good fan for the Gotogland fans. So it's nineteen seventy five when I'm six years old, and it's like, you know, we have something to be proud of right now with the Dodgers, and see them then get sweat by the Angels. That's kind of embarrassing. Even though our pitching is really, really, really thin. Right now, and it's running on fumes, like you say, in the bullpens just gassed and the starting rotation is just torn apart. But they'll get better. They'll get well, and people forget we're still the best team in baseball. People are acting like, well, right there with.
Speaker 9: The Tigers and the Padres and now the Giants, they're in.
Speaker 4: The toughest divisions.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean you hur at the top. Yeah. With all that said and all the pitching issues, the Dodgers are still on top thanks to their offense. And that was the case last year through October. People forget about how good their offense was, and that's what's carried the Dodgers through October to the World Championship. Thanks for the phone call, Craig, appreciate it. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy. The Dodgers fall to the Angels today, six to four. The Angels sweep the three game series, and the Dodgers need to refocus and reset as the Diamondbacks, a very tough team to beat, is coming to town, and you know they have blood on their minds. They want to make it hurt even more for the Dodgers on this homestand so Hopefully the Dodgers can bounce back against the team that gave the Dodgers everything they could handle and more last week in Arizona. Earlier in the show, I told you we had a chance to catch up with Andrew Friedman. He had a press conference this morning to address having to say goodbye to Austin Barnes and Chris Taylor. But then I felt like that ran its course and it was time to ask about guys that are still on the team, like Blake Snell and Tyler Glass. Now, where's your starting pitching at right now? With Snell and Glass?
Speaker 14: Now, are you.
Speaker 15: Optimistic at that club out?
Speaker 9: Okay, training room? Probably we'll leave you on the mount. I don't know.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's let's get to that. Did we have more on Barnes Taylor?
Speaker 9: I didn't know, it's the other question.
Speaker 15: Okay, Yeah, it's it's been uh, it's been challenging, and you know, we're not looking ahead of Hey, this is the exact date. It's more just biting off in small chunks.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 15: Snell starting up his throwing program, Glass is a little further along in his and we'll get off a mound at some point point and then obviously, you know each of them will throw bullpens, move on to live BPS and then get into to game action and then get back. So I know both of them want that to happen as quickly as possible. It's it's challenging with the starting pitcher who's not built up anymore of how to get back to that point and try to get him back to stay back, and so that's what we're in the middle of right now.
Speaker 9: So with all that being said, and Andrew obviously apprehensive to answer that question because there was twenty minutes worth of Chris Taylor Austin Barnes questions. That's the most that I've been asked about those two players in the last ten years. So I felt like we could move on to more pressing issues like his two high priced starters, Glass Now and Blake Snell. You heard from Blake Snell yesterday, and Blake Snell gave us a little bit more insight to what's going on with him than Andrew Freed and did right there in that setting. But what Andrew did let us know is that glass Now is maybe a little bit ahead of Blake SNeW and we may see Glass Now return before Blake snow. So that's good news that they are now throwing baseballs and that they may be back on the mound in the next month or so. So that's the silver lining there. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Malibu. Bob, You're on Dodger Talk live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 11: Hi, Bob our Man, Uncle Day of the Robin Leech of.
Speaker 9: The MLB, Caviard dreams, Baby.
Speaker 11: Champagne, wishes for you, Dave always Ben Hey, you know, just want to share a quick touching Chris Taylor's story. Man, He'll be missed, no doubt. He put in his time as the Dodger. But business is business and it's.
Speaker 3: Time to move on.
Speaker 11: Chris was a really stand up guy, both on and off the field.
Speaker 18: Man.
Speaker 11: There was a time when my young daughter was in Boston to see the Dodgers at Fenway. Chris got off the bus came back just to take a picture with her because he saw her waiting outside. Man, So for that, I'll be forever thankful to that guy. Man, he seemed like a real stand up guy.
Speaker 9: He was a great guy. I remember seeing him do that type of stuff all the time. And I even remember one day Joe Davis brought his son out here and Chris Taylor started playing catch with him on the field. Chris Taylor is a high character guy. That's why he stuck around for as long as he did, and part of the reason why Andrew Freeman gave him such a large contract four year, sixty million dollars to a guy that was a utility player.
Speaker 11: Well learned man. I know my daughter mays he really appreciated it, and you know he continues to be her favorite player even today. One thing I did want to ask you, though, a bullpen wise, Dave, Joe Kelly questions for you, man, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 9: We're talking about injured pictures. Joe Kelly is more injured than anybody right right now. Bob No, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 9: Nick Frosso is the guy that I would call up. He's on the forty man roster. He had a great spring. He's having a really good minor league season. It's Nick Frosso time. If you want a fresh, real arm in that bullpen, it's Nick Frosso.
Speaker 11: Frosso it is Dave will follow your lead as always, man. Thanks for the call, Dave, have a great one.
Speaker 9: I'll pass along to Joe Kelly that somebody called in asking about him. That's the first time this year somebody asked about Joe Kelly.
Speaker 11: Anytime, man, I'll have a one on one man.
Speaker 9: All right, Bob, thanks a lot for the phone call. I still pass Jonas Never's mural a Mariachi Joe on the reserve level every day that we walk in, so I'm glad they did not paint over that. Let's go out to Wan, who is at Dodger Stadium today. Hi, Wan, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 14: Hey, glad to be here. Thank you for having me on the air.
Speaker 9: Oh, happy to have you on. We're happy you're here too.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, yeah. We're celebrating my birthday. Unfortunately we didn't get to win, but I had a good time with my family.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 14: The maken certain I want to bring up, though, is why is he playing every day?
Speaker 9: Wait? Who was that reminding you who you called in about? You just had to be reminded by somebody why you were calling.
Speaker 14: No, I wasn't reminded. I just had a hard time sound of his name.
Speaker 2: I was just going to make sure I got his name right.
Speaker 14: Wrong with the guy.
Speaker 9: Before me, anybuddy, it's not even a it's not even fifty games in. We just played the Dodgers just played their forty seventh game of the year. Let's let it go into June and then reassess where Confordo's at. You know, he hit a you know after you say Kakuchi walk Keith Hernandez on four pitches in the fifth inning. I couldn't understand why Confordo swung at the first pitch, even though he he sent it to the warning track in center field. It wasn't a good pitch to hit. He wasn't going to do anything with it. So I just hope he settles in. It feels like he's trying a little bit too hard. But let's give him until June first. But I do seriously believe that Dave Roberts has to consider pinch hitting for Confordo in certain situations at this point.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I agree with that. I just think sometimes maybe we need to get him rest, maybe to reset that way. But I think he's getting a lot of plenty time. But I think sometimes hey take a break, reset and work on something and maybe come back again. So again, it's also even sad. I'm glad about Austin Barnes and Chris Taylor, wishing well, hope they can continue playing baseball.
Speaker 9: All right, Well, thanks for the phone call, and they obviously want to continue to play baseball and hopefully they get that opportunity. Speaking of those two guys, we talked about Austin Barnes earlier this week after he was designated for assignment. Today, Chris Taylor released to make room for Tommy Edman to return, and Kirby Yates was placed on the IL and the Dodgers called up Lu Trevino, who pitched two scoreless innings today. I wanted to share some of the and remind you of some of the great moments Chris Taylor had for the Dodgers in the postseason. Twenty seventeen was Taylor's breakout year and he was leading off for the Dodgers that season, and he also was leading off for the Dodgers in Game one of the World Series against the Houston Astros.
Speaker 19: Twenty three starts during the regular season, fourteen and five and two point nine to zero er. He stays away from the strike zone. He likes to see other hitters pish at I'm a first pitch Chris Taylor hits it out. Heichael gave up fifteen home runs during the regular season in a hundred forty six innings. In one pitch, the Dodgers take.
Speaker 9: A one to nothing lead. That's the voice of Charlie Steiner. Game one of the twenty seventeen World Series. Before the Astros started banging trash cans in Houston, Chris Taylor was hitting a leadoff home run that was thrilling the first World Series game played at Dodger Stadium since Game two of the eighty eight World Series, because after that the scene shifted to Oakland, so it was electric that day, and Chris Taylor made it even more electric as the Dodgers were often running against the Astros in that game. One fast forward to Game seven of the twenty eighteen NLCS Dodgers in Milwaukee. Chris Taylor in left field, clinging to the lead to try to advance to the World Series for a second straight year.
Speaker 19: No Ball's two strikes camee leading from second for a set at the belt. The two fly ball left center field. It's gonna be a long run for Taylor and he makes a spectacular over the shoulder catch on the warning track falling to the ground.
Speaker 9: What to play by Chris Taylor saving a run and ending the inning.
Speaker 5: I didn't think he had a chance in the world. He reached up as high as he could as he was really falling down. He was gonna sacrifice body and all. An incredible catch in a critical spot.
Speaker 9: That saved Game seven for the Dodgers. Rick Munday and Charlie Stenner on the call for that as well. Chris Taylor coming up big with the bat, with the glove, and certainly if he doesn't make that catch, the Dodgers are not winning that NLCS in twenty eighteen, And of course to finish it off, who could forget Chris Taylor walking the Dodgers off in the wild Card Game twenty twenty one against the Saint Louis Cardinals. Race on two and one, Taylor five.
Speaker 18: All the left and deep and dun Chris Taylor, oh walk up home run. The Dodgers are walking off to San Francisco.
Speaker 9: They win the Wild Card three to one. Here comes Taylor to the plate. They are bobbing him. The crowd is going crazy.
Speaker 18: The Dodgers advance to the National League Division Series with one the mighty swing by Chris Taylor.
Speaker 9: Chris Taylor certainly left memorable moments in Dodger history during his career after being acquired in twenty sixteen. We wish Chris the best, and I know he has a lot of baseball left and certainly there's a lot of teams out there that could use a versatile player like Chris Taylor. It was just a numbers game on a very talented team with a lot of young players emerging for the Dodgers, namely Dalton Rushing and Hayesan Kim, and the Dodgers acquiring Tomy Edmund last year extending him bringing back Keik A Hernandez kind of made him the odd man out. But certainly a lot of teams out there that could use a Chris Taylor and use his experience and just what he's been through, including three big postseason moments right there. That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. Thanks for listening. Tomorrow, Game one of a big three game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks landon Nack against Brandon Fott Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at seven ten. Thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you want to follow me on social media, you can follow me on the Real Underscore DV and on Instagram at officially vast Say. You can follow Dodger Talk on the iHeartRadio app podcast all the shows, all the interviews. Yesterday, Blake Snell joined us to give us an exclusive update on where he's at in his rehab and today, the all time saves leader in Dodger history, Kenley Jansen joined us. So a lot of good listening for your drive to work tomorrow and the rest of the week coming up next Fox Sports Radio, we will talk to you tomorrow. Have a great rest of your Sunday. Once again, the final score today the Angels defeat the Dodgers six to four. See up play