Speaker 1: Hey, what's up. I'm Ben and I'm.
Speaker 2: Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast. Warning. The following podcast contains content material intended more mature audience. Listener discretion is advice. Here we are, first episode, first.
Speaker 2: One, first one, first one, out of the bag.
Speaker 1: I'm nervous to you.
Speaker 2: No, not at all?
Speaker 1: That wine good, true, sir, I do have whiskey.
Speaker 2: Let's do this.
Speaker 1: Might need to drink a little more whiskey.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe a wine would be better, right, No, I'm down.
Speaker 1: With the whiskey. We are we we're not alcoholics. I swear we like to drink, especially considering we are in a first podcast and we're nervous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the first one.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It's just gonna go uphill from here.
Speaker 1: If it doesn't go uphill from here, it's gonna go downhill, which at least is a nice, easy role and not a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Oh, I's set us up for success.
Speaker 1: Here, I mean lots of success. But it is true. It's true. If it goes downhill, it'll be easy. Uphill is the work?
Speaker 2: Uphill actually is harder? Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: It is. It always is. And we're talking about a case today where people are going up hill way up dunt dum dum for doom, for doom. Ooh, like you said that just for doom, just to their doomed.
Speaker 2: There's Yeah, I don't even know much about this yet. I know very little, very little.
Speaker 1: Although you did watch the remake of this case in like the Hollywood movie sort of situation, which is kind of like a B grade sort of movie. It's not like anything fancy, but the remake is known as Devil's Pass. They go through a bit of information, they say a little bit of things and stuff. They go off on a tangent and get a little sci fi on it.
Speaker 2: But you said it was quite different than like what you would be presenting.
Speaker 1: It is. It is. They offer facts in the movie, but it's definitely not along the.
Speaker 2: Same line, and they offer their take on their the outcome. They do, but but there's many takes.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming everyone has their own take on this because there is no outcome. This is a mystery true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Because now see I don't love that it's no ending.
Speaker 1: Are ending You're you're because you're one hundred percent wholeheartedly the true crime individual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I don't know what happened. Like it, I'll lose sleep over this.
Speaker 1: I love the mystery stuff, No, I do. Like there's okay growing up, you know, watching unsolved mysteries going on YouTube at like three am. I still do that, and I get down the rabbit hole and paranormal stuff and all that. I don't know if you guys heard that.
Speaker 2: It was that the dog or you that was the dog. The dog is sleeping under my.
Speaker 1: Feet currently, yeah, and then the other one is just up above us, curled up. And we have a black cat Kiwi wandering around somewhere.
Speaker 2: What is the mascot of Wicked and Grim?
Speaker 1: He's not on our thumb now, maybe he should be next time. You should have put it too late now, too late now.
Speaker 2: In like the little icon thing that you made, you could been sitting under the tree.
Speaker 1: Oh, I might have to edit that then. I like it, just a little subtle thing. Let's put quire or it could.
Speaker 2: Be like a secondary icon and Lee Wee isn't there once.
Speaker 1: We'll figure out either way. Kiwi is our mascot. He is our black cat or rescue from the SPCA like twelve years ago.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, he's a little cuity he is.
Speaker 1: He's also our best Halloween decoration, like ever, like ever, he's the best.
Speaker 2: Can't top it one percent.
Speaker 1: So you ready to dive into this.
Speaker 2: I'm ready. I'm ready. Let's go.
Speaker 1: So if you know of the movie The Devil's Pass, you know most likely know of what this what it's based off of, which is the Diatlov Pass incident in Russia. It's it's a crazy occurrence of what happened. We still don't know what happened, but we're going to dive into it and we're going to try and sort this out as best we can. However, it is such a large case, such a well known case, so many theories information, there's no way we're gonna be able to give you all the information in the time we have, but we're going to do our best. I research the crap out of this. I've got like eight pages of notes right in front of me, So if you hear paper shuffling, that's me frantically trying to find a note.
Speaker 2: That I you enjoyed this, though you enjoyed researching this, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not a research person, which is weird that I enjoyed this well.
Speaker 2: Because it's such a case. At your interesting.
Speaker 1: I love this case, like I love it so much. Yeah, but yeah, I definitely enjoyed it. So the diyachtlav Pass, it starts out in January twenty third. We're taking it back to nineteen.
Speaker 2: Fifty nine, nineteen fifty nine.
Speaker 1: Right, and we're going to the euro Mountains in Soviet Russia. We have ten experienced hikers, ten ten, ten hikers, and they're all like, we're gonna go out. We're gonna hike this these mountains is trail and it's gonna be bombed. So there was eight men and two women, and they're all very very experienced outdoorsmen, like they can build a fire shelter, they could survive. They do this all the time.
Speaker 2: They would go hiking in January, I hope, so I.
Speaker 1: In the middle of the freaking Russian mountains.
Speaker 2: There's no way I'd ever do that.
Speaker 1: Right, Like it's crazy.
Speaker 2: And in nineteen fifty Mount Robson was a feat.
Speaker 1: I mean that was a feat.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong, it it was. But some people think that's like a very easy hike.
Speaker 1: Definitely not how many How many kilometers was that it was like twenty one kilometers or something.
Speaker 2: Nineteen or something up and then nineteen down obviously, but it was freaking hard.
Speaker 1: It was it was I was crazy.
Speaker 2: Anyway, We're not to these people's standards.
Speaker 1: We're not. Although we do like the outdoors. I go hunting, you know, we go hiking, snowshoeing, that stuff. These guys knew what they were doing and they didn't do it with near the gear we have today, which is crazy. So this whole group was led by their leader, Igor Dyatlov, and this incident was named after him.
Speaker 2: So there's a little bit of an incident you don't want named after you, right.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure you can already tell that he does not survive, considering it was named after him. But we'll get into that. We'll get into that. So over the next few days, them deciding that they're going to depart on this adventure up into the mountains, the ural mountains of Russia, which it was laid out by them, by the Mancy tribe, the local Manci tribe and everything. It was already it was pre plotted, okay, Okay, so keep that in mind. They all live there, you know, I don't think they lived in this area, but they were all Russian. Yeah, okay, I'm gonna have to try and read off Russian names here shortly, and that's that's I'm gonna do my best, but I'll promise anything, we'll see, we'll see. So over the next few days it consisted of traveling, of course, you know, towards the mountains. First they travel by train, then by bus, then in like the back like a box of a pickup truck, horse and sleigh, and then finally by foot.
Speaker 2: In skis wow, quite the journey.
Speaker 1: And they're going like town to town, you know, village to village sort of thing. They're spending the night here, and then they're finding their next route, their next route, and they eventually get to where they you know, go off by foot. Okay, So that's that's where we're leading up. So on January twenty third, that's when they set out to do this, and by January twenty eighth, one of the one of the hikers, Yurie Udon, that fallen fallen ill is what a lot of people say, but I think it was like you had a few different things going on, like maybe like a weak knee and different things. But either way, he said like he can't continue on, he can't go He's not fit for the venture.
Speaker 2: Best decision of his life, right because you're a udon.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, is the only survivor from this hike.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I'd want to be him.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, I don't even still the stuff that he's living with.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, that's very true.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if he's still alive today.
Speaker 2: Because lots of people, Yeah, they are surviving, like they have a lot of a lot on their mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, PTSD, trauma and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyways, he decided that he was going to stay back, and he stayed. I believe he stayed in the most recent village that they left from by foot. I believe that's where he stayed, or one of the villages somewhere along there. Okay, And on their route, you know, they took they took several cameras with them and several journals all this sort of thing. They they documented their their trip well, and you can look at the photos they're all online, and they had they had a blast. You know, they're they're smiling the group photos. They're hiking and skiing like cross country skiing.
Speaker 2: They're in their element. All the sounds of.
Speaker 1: It, and that element is the snowy mountains in Russia. So they rocked this. They were doing this, and in one of the journals, actually there was a bit of an ominous entry, this one. Still it stood out to me and I quote, this is right from the journal. I wonder what awaits us on this hike? Will anything happen?
Speaker 2: Wow? Like what did she think?
Speaker 1: Is this?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Him her?
Speaker 1: I can't remember who who wrote this entry. There were several journals like foreshadowing, right, like it's ominous as fuck, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: But it's also maybe this. Oh I hope something happens.
Speaker 1: How it's exciting, right, like, there's no way this individual knew what was to happen, but it's still it's like shivers up the spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's like goosebumps right there. Bumps. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So February first, after you know, they're traveling for for a few days, they reach what is known as Dead Mountain.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm already out, you're out. I'm out.
Speaker 1: A lot of people say that, I mean, who's going to travel to Dead Mountain? It's named Dead Mountain? Why?
Speaker 2: It's just like a mountain I don't need to be on, but I'll.
Speaker 1: Tell you why. It's named Dead Mountain. A lot of people actually don't realize this. They go, why are you going to travel dead mountain? You know, that's creepy, it's scary, don't go there. Actually, the local Mancy tribe it it's translated into dead mountain, and their definition for it is actually lack of game. So it's not that people are dying going up there there.
Speaker 2: It's just nothing there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a barren mountain.
Speaker 2: There's no game, animals, no hunting, no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's just don't bother that. It's it's the dead mountain. It's like a dead tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but give it a couple of years, it's probably flourishing and they should definitely be hunting up there.
Speaker 1: I mean, if there's plants, if there's animals, that sort of thing. But clearly they named a dead mountain for a reason.
Speaker 2: There's not now no one is ever going to go there.
Speaker 1: Oh, people go there after this incident. The mountain was closed for three years, but it did reopen and people go there.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, I'll put it on our list.
Speaker 1: Right. So once once they left Uri for the Dead Mountain, Igor actually told Yuri that he would send a message via telegram I once they returned from the mountain on the twelfth, So I don't believe that Yuri was actually in the last village they were at. He went back to a different one because they would return to that last village and send the telegram to him that they arrived, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So he was the one they were going to notify that they're safe.
Speaker 1: They were going to tell you, like, you know what, we're back and we're expected to arrive in the twelfth. Ye well, nothing, nothing happened. Yuri didn't hear from the twelfth came rolled around, you know, days of going by.
Speaker 2: Nothing, nothing, nothing, silence, silence.
Speaker 1: So of course you know they're getting worried. They're out in the mountain missing, and eventually on the twenty first of February. This is like they're supposed to return on.
Speaker 2: The twelfth till like nine days later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, to be fair, the twentieth, their family and stuff was like, we need to get a search party out of there, out there, like they were insisting. And then finally on the twenty first, the search party.
Speaker 2: Was wely shit. I know that's a long period of time.
Speaker 1: It's a long ass period of time, but I mean, they finally got him out there, at least at least.
Speaker 2: Wow. I wonder what the stall was.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but on the twenty first it was launched, and on February twenty sixth, their camp was located a few hundred meters from the peak of Dead Mountain, so.
Speaker 2: It even Yeah, even locating their camp took a while, but I don't know. I guess it was it could have taken that long to hike up.
Speaker 1: There potentially, or or finding where they camped or anything, because they're I mean they left when when was left. They left January twenty eighth on their hike, and they reached the peak by the first so it's a couple of days hike.
Speaker 2: Okay, What were they going to do up there for that long?
Speaker 1: I wonder, just camp enjoy the element to have fun hike. What did we do when we went to Mark Robson. We hiked up there, we slept, we walked back down.
Speaker 2: We did it wrong. We should have spent some time up there.
Speaker 1: We should have. We should have, but I mean we just up on a whim. Did it on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Right, These guys had a lot of time.
Speaker 1: They were planning to have fun up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did it right.
Speaker 1: So their camp was found few hundred meters from the peak, and the camp was found in shambles. Okay. They all stayed in this one big canvas tent and it was kept like I mean, it's been up there a few days. The weather's kind of knocked it around a bit, and everything right, that's fair. Inside of the tent was quite orderly. It was you know, organized, you know, nothing was strewn about or anything. However, from the inside of the tent it was slashed and cut with a knife, and they escaped out through these cuts with large enough people from the inside, from the inside. What was inside the tent, well, they were and they cut it, and they escaped from something or someone. It could have been something or someone outside the tent, or someone or something inside the tent. Maybe it was each other. We don't know. All we know is they cut the tent from the inside to escape.
Speaker 2: I don't want to sleep in our tent anymore. That's scary.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm pretty sure what what what would like you just what would cause that? I don't know, But I'm pretty sure we're not going to just slash our tent open. I really hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. Did the zipper break.
Speaker 1: I don't know. All we know is that they slashed open the tent to escape.
Speaker 2: But everything's in order inside.
Speaker 1: Yes, So this this varies. I can't find an exact number. It was either nine or eight, but either nine or eight sets of footprints were found in the snow leading away from the tent, and there are nine hikers.
Speaker 2: Getting the hell away from whatever, but bars there.
Speaker 1: This is the thing, because we live in a snowy area, we go outside, we know what's footprints in.
Speaker 2: The snow look like, right, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: There's a difference between walking away and running away, huge difference in the snow.
Speaker 2: You can tell if someone's running, the snow gets the footprint apart, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's very obvious. These footprints were not in a rush. They were not running. They were walking in an orderly fashion.
Speaker 2: See that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: You're cutting the inside of your tent, but then you're just walking away.
Speaker 1: That's right. Confused, Oh, this is a very confusing case. You're going to get more confused. So they're walking down the mountain to a nearby bush line, tree line.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was a game, a game, A game, I don't know, a game, a game, but this doesn't make any sense. You're cutting your tent open and then you're leisurely walking away.
Speaker 1: But okay, we're I'm going to tell you this is no game, and I'm gonna tell you why because at the tree line, which is about half and half a kilometer and a half away ish the distance varies in reports that I've read, but about a half a kilometer and a half away. They found the tree at this large tree on the edge of the tree line with a makeshift fire underneath, and the tree about fifteen meters up was kind of like it was obvious, like people were climbing it, broken branches, bark scraped off, that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: About fifteen meters up, okay, and by ing from something at that point there.
Speaker 1: Potentially running up the tree potentially. But they found two bodies laying down as well, two frozen bodies. And now these individuals, these bodies that they found, I'm going to try and pronounce these names as best as I can. I'm sorry for butchering them because I know I'm going to. But it was the bodies of Yuri Krivishenko, and Uri Doroshenko, which were two of the hikers. Okay, now these two succumb to what's in the autopsy report is hypothermia, so they perish from that.
Speaker 2: That seems like a thing that would happen. Well, I mean, you're a forensic from getting the bodies though hey have being frozen. That'd be helpful for this investigation.
Speaker 1: I feel like one hundred percent. I've got the autopsies here, and they estimate that it was about minus thirty degrees celsius that night, which was approximately minus twenty twenty two degrees fahrenheit, so about that range for everyone. So that's what they estimated. So Yuri Krivishenko, the autopsy shows he had bruises on his forehead and temporal bone. He frost bitten ears, and the tip of his nose was missing. You know, it's very frost bite sort of stuff, right, not that.
Speaker 2: Did you say that he had bruising though?
Speaker 1: Was that for well, the bruising, No, that's not frost bite. Yeah, that's the strama. I'm just saying the tip of his nose part like, it's very frost Okay. He had bruises on the right side of his chest, thigh, and left butt, bruises and abrasions on his hands, burns on his leg and get this, skin from his hand from the back of his hand was found between his teeth.
Speaker 2: On the back of his hand, in his teeth. Yes, he was like biting, like almost like uncomfortable, maybe OCD kind of who knows.
Speaker 1: Some people say it was a sign of struggle that he was the one climbing the tree hence like you know, it's messed up hands and he could have been like trying to stay up that tree away from something or someone.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make a sense of why it would be in his mouth though his hands.
Speaker 1: Maybe he was biting on something, like just trying as hard as he could.
Speaker 2: And he just oh to keep quiet or something.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe or he was just in that like desperate to get wood off the tree for the fire, and he's biting his hand, don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: It doesn't frustration. It could be frustration to theory.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make sense to me, but the fact remains. Skin from the back of his hand was found between his teeth.
Speaker 2: Nikes.
Speaker 1: So the guy he was next to, Yuri Doorshenko, his hair was burned off on the left side of his head so we have burns on both these guys.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: His face was covered in like minor amounts of blood, like his nose, lips, and ears. He had abrasions on his inner left and right shoulders like armpit area, you know, inside the bicep, that sort of stuff. Fingers had the skin torn off, frostbite in his face. And then get this one. This is the weird This is a really weird one.
Speaker 2: Okay, you ready, yeah, I'm ready, sure, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Now, he had a foamy gray discharge from his mouth on the right side of his cheek.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Then, Well, the autopsy, the doctors say that this was they think it was from before his death, which shows a great pressure, a great amount of pressure on his chest cavity, like he was like being pushed on by something like something sitting on.
Speaker 2: The foam come from your mouth, like exhaling.
Speaker 1: Like think like like discharging your lungs or something like that. You're just like like you're trying to breathe. That's why it's foamy.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, So there's something I have no.
Speaker 1: Idea on his chest causing that before.
Speaker 2: He died, great foam to come out of his mouth.
Speaker 1: Yes, before he died, before he died, Before he died, that's key.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Okay, well, I mean yeah, it would probably be before you die, so that would happen.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, it wasn't something after he dies. Yeah, it's the point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So those are the two, the first two guys.
Speaker 2: That we find, and they're a way, they're on their own kind of.
Speaker 1: Well, they're they're found side by side underneath this tree.
Speaker 2: But that's not what the rest of the group correct. Okay.
Speaker 1: So after they found these two, they find three more bodies of the hikers in varying distances between the tree and where the tent was. So between these two guys that they found and the tent, they found three more the hikers. They all to come to hypothermia.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the first same, same cause of death the.
Speaker 1: First five individuals, hypothermia through and through. Okay, but there's still some weird stuff that's going on, because, like I said, I've got the autopsies. Let's look at what happened to these four three three sorry, three.
Speaker 2: I was like, there's more. My bad, my bad, three Okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: So these three were Igor Datlov who is the leader of the group. Okay, right right, Rustom slow Bodoin, Sloboden, I think, and then Xena Clemogravova, Clamogrova, Grova, yes, Clomogrova, Klomogrova, I think. I can't speak Russia. Oh boy, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for getting these names so bad.
Speaker 2: You're doing your best.
Speaker 1: I'm trying. I'm trying, and that's important. So Igor, first of all, there wasn't much strange about him. Of course, you know, he was frozen to death. But all three of these were found facing in the direction of the tent, as if they're trying to go back to the tent.
Speaker 2: The tent that was cut from the inside. Yes, okay, so there's just some weird chit ca.
Speaker 1: There's so much weird shit. And then well we're we're not even scratching the surface yet. Trust me, trust me, we got theories after all this. So hold on, sorry I bumped the microphone. So eager was. Igor was found with minor abrasions and bruising on his face, hands, knees, and shins. So minor abrasions just kind of like scraped out. It could have been scrambling through the icy snow who knows, right, But he was also found with a pick of Coolma Grova. I think I said her name right that time.
Speaker 2: Oh it sounded better Colmagrova.
Speaker 1: I'm getting this, I'm getting it. He was found with a picture of her on him, as that they were kind of an item.
Speaker 2: So oh, okay, they were together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he had a picture of her on him prior to yes, and he was also wearing Dorishenko's shirt. So one of the guys that we found prior to this, those two, those two guys Urie Dorishenko.
Speaker 2: The ones at the fire.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, he was found wearing his shirt because and this is testified, that could.
Speaker 2: Just be like he's borrowing a shirt.
Speaker 1: It could be, could be, but it could also establish a timeline because those first two guys, actually I forgot to mention, they weren't wearing much clothing. They were in their underwear and T shirt and no shoes or socks. Actually they might have been wearing socks. So it could be that these groups, this group was together. This five those two ended up freezing to death and Igor took his shirt and moved.
Speaker 2: On stay warm exactly.
Speaker 1: It could could be that, but we don't know. The next we had Rustum Slobodin. He had bruises and skin torn from both hands, which is common in hand to hand combat, like you're fighting like a boxer, kind of like the outer metacarpal, like along your pinky knuckle and down towards your wrist. He had like lots of bruising and a break.
Speaker 2: He wasning someone or something interesting.
Speaker 1: It's very common in like hand to hand combat. That's the sort of injuries he had in his hand. Now he also had abrasions, swelling, bruising and blood on his face.
Speaker 2: Was it fresh though, like maybe he had gotten those injuries.
Speaker 1: Prior to Oh no he did this. This was all like they did not leave with these injuries.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, you're a udon.
Speaker 1: The guy who stayed behind, he's one hundred percent testified, Like.
Speaker 2: No, this is like all the shit happened.
Speaker 1: We were all good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were healthy and they were going on in the hike of their life, and there's.
Speaker 1: Photo evidence to show what they look like. And they did not have any of these bruises or scrapes or anything because they had those cameras and documentation of that.
Speaker 2: Right, he says it maybe he was a boxer prior too.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not well, I mean maybe he was, but these were not injuries he had.
Speaker 2: Okay, to the mountain.
Speaker 1: So he had the bruising, swelling blood on his face. I didn't get this. He had a fractured a fractured frontal bone in his skull and hemorrhaging in his temples. He had a fractured skull.
Speaker 2: This is the guy that the same guy that had the hands. Yeah, so he was in a mega fight, your.
Speaker 1: Fight with someone something, hit by someone something. Yes, that's what it looks like.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: But even though we had this fractured skull the hemorrhaging, he still died of hypothermia.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that he he it was the cold that got him first.
Speaker 1: All five of these first people it was the cold.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So last one of this first five was female, Xena Colemcgrova. She was dressed really well, like really well, which could again say that she might have taken clothes from other people as they passed away potentially.
Speaker 2: Or it could have been like her boyfriend looking out for her and stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, just just get this, because she had multiple layers, She had two hats, she had four shirts, three pairs of pants, three pairs of socks, and no boots on.
Speaker 2: So she was dressed very irregular, very well without.
Speaker 1: Boots, yes, so very well.
Speaker 2: She was just really prepared though with all those clothing.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe she also had spit and fingers, bruises on her hands and palms, and a long bruise on the right side of her abdomen kind of like kidney, kind of sort of sort of area wrapping around to the front abs.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, So yeah, that's that's the first section of people that they found. They found them like almost immediately, the poor things. I mean, I can't believe it, Like there's there's some weird ship, but.
Speaker 2: The shit went down up there.
Speaker 1: The other group they don't find until two months later, two months, two months, two months, wow, two months they sat up there in the cold.
Speaker 2: That's a long time right.
Speaker 1: Oh. By the way, I forgot to mention this, Uh, that first five four out of five of them were found to be intoxicated at the time as well.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, I don't know how they up there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean we do. When we go on.
Speaker 2: Made me bring a bottle of wine, not enough to get us freaking intoxicated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough. But they were intoxicated.
Speaker 2: Wow did they do? You like them a bit more?
Speaker 1: A little bit. They're more kind of people.
Speaker 2: They are totally your kind of people.
Speaker 1: Thank you, love you too. So yeah. The last four were found almost two months later. Yeah, in like under three meters of snow in a small ravine farther down the mountain.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, we have five. They all died of frostbite hypothermia. Sorry. And then now there's three more that I found two months later, A.
Speaker 1: Four more, four more yes.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, just making sure I'm on the sad.
Speaker 1: Nine hikers in total. The first five they found immediately of hypothermia. Four more they were found in a ravine farther down the mountain, and they were under three meters of snow.
Speaker 2: How much farther down the mountain, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Too sure exactly. It wasn't much farther down half a kilometer. I think it was still in that same sort of bush line. It was a little bit farther down sort of Okay, I don't know the exact distance. I didn't write that down, but it was a little bit farther down sort of thing. So this their injuries are a lot a lot different, a lot more significant, and greater the actual Like the doctors, the medical examiners said that the injuries were like a great fall and compared the injuries to a car crash and said that these injuries were impossible for a human to inflict.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they could have just fallen or something down down the mountain.
Speaker 1: I mean, who knows how far down they fell, but like down in this ravine, it was shown that they were like camping. There's evidence of a fire down the snow. So they didn't fall into this ravine.
Speaker 2: Oh, they were camped there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they went down there to try and get like shelter. Okay, so they were under three meters of snow when they were found two months later in.
Speaker 2: The spring, and we don't know if they died later later of what than the other five.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll get into the autopsy reports.
Speaker 2: I'm asking too many questions, so I'm getting into it. Okay, let me. I'm going to listen. I'm listening.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, out of these these next individuals, we had, Nick Lai, I'm going to say these names so wrong. I'm sorry, Nikolai T. Brignola's Alexander Kolovitov, Semen, Zoltev, Zolaratev. Although he had a nickname, he didn't actually go by Semen. I forgot to write it down, so I'm just gonna be saying the last names here. But and lastly, we had Ludmilda dab Dabina.
Speaker 2: Is that the other female?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, uh, Dovinina Dobnina. There we go. So first of all, TiVo Brignolas, he was well dressed for the elements with boots, like they expect that maybe he was outside the tent when whatever happened happened. He was. He was well prepared. He was wearing boots, jacket, hat, whole nine yards.
Speaker 2: Okay, he was prepared.
Speaker 1: Yes, he had multiple fractures on his temporal bone, which is in the skull on the right side, minor fractual bruising and hemorrhaging on the lower forearm. And his cause of death because like he had a major fracture of the skull, his cause of death was from his injuries. He didn't freeze to death. Oh okay, So whatever hit him in the head, this accident, come comparison, that's what killed him. Yes, okay, So Colvid done man, these names are hard to say. I'm trying my best. Maybe I need more whiskey or less one of the.
Speaker 2: Two one or the other.
Speaker 1: Culvatov was he was missing his eyes, missing his eyes, and his skull was showing eyes right now. So yeah, exposed skull in the eyebrows and missing his eyes right which is creepy.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: He had open wounds behind his He had an open wound behind his ear, a broken nose, and from the report quote unquote, a deformed neck like a broken neck sort of situation. I don't I didn't find if it was actually broken in the report, but the report says deformed neck.
Speaker 2: Poor guy.
Speaker 1: Now his cause of death. Even though he had this deformed neck, missing eyes, all this sort of thing, it was caused by exposure to low temperatures. That's what it says in the report. Doesn't say hypothermia. It says exposure to low temperatures.
Speaker 2: Is that the same thing? I think?
Speaker 1: So okay, But yeah, zolte.
Speaker 2: Gosh, she would think the neck that would have done it.
Speaker 1: I guess not he froze, or if some of the temperatures he froze or something. Zolotev was also missing his eyes. And had exposed skull in his left eyebrow. So we have two dudes missing their eyes and they were found three meters under.
Speaker 2: Snow and exposed skull means they must have got like bashed in the head quite hard.
Speaker 1: Well, expose skull like on the eyebrows because you have your eyes missing, So that exposed skulls on the eyebrow. So it's probably to do with the removal.
Speaker 2: I would hope that if my eyes got removed, that would just be the death of me.
Speaker 1: I would hope I would die before that happens. Actually, yeah, I don't want to die by removal of eyebrow or eyeballs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I just need that process to be done really quick.
Speaker 1: Just rip them out. Yeah, just don't rip out my eyes. Just let me sleep, maybe and die peacefully.
Speaker 2: Years old, or die in your sleep. Yeah, that's the way to go, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Or maybe like give me a whiskey first and then I'll pass out because I'm drunk, and then I'll die. I don't know. I just I don't want pain, That's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: You don't want your eyes ripped out.
Speaker 1: I want to live life. I want to have another whiskey, and I don't want my eyes ripped out of my head. That's fair, So Zolo, Zola, Trev Manzolo, tell Rev, there we go. These names are hard Russian language. You are take the case I did. I love this case, okay, but he was He had his missing eyes. He also had five fractured ribs and flail chest. Now, flail chest means that the ribs are actually completely separated. Oh wow, So I think if you have like you're taking a deep breath, how your ribs expand that section of his ribs wouldn't have expanded. His ribs are just stationary and snapped off.
Speaker 2: And that's called flailed chest. Flail chest, flail chest. Okay, I didn't mean to know what that is.
Speaker 1: And he had severe internal bleeding, I would imagine, and his death was caused by these this flail chest and that bleeding. Yeah, that was his death cause. Finally, with Debinina, I think I said her name right, Yes, another one, another point for me. She was found with four broken ribs on her right side, five broken ribs on her left side, massive hemorrhaging of her heart's right atrium, missing eyes, broken nose, her nose is broken and flattened bruises on her left thigh. And get this, this one is like a major influence on a lot of theories out there. She had a missing tongue.
Speaker 2: No tongue, no tongue gone what like ripped out or cutout or what's.
Speaker 1: That's kind of something that a lot of people turn to with their theories and sort of thing like someone cut it out, maybe like UFOs or military or animals could have it or something. But all it says, I'm gonna look, I have it written down here somewhere. Where is it?
Speaker 2: Because three three out of the four of them were also oh ripley.
Speaker 1: Our dog is like banging against the table there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, three out of the four were missing eyes.
Speaker 1: Yes, Where do I have the tongue thing written down? Oh? Here it is? Okay. So when in the report and I quote this is how they wrote it, diaphragm of the mouth and the tongue are missing. Is missing?
Speaker 2: Sorry, is missing?
Speaker 1: So it doesn't say it's cut out, doesn't say it's tore out, doesn't that's kind of like the diaphragm.
Speaker 2: That means I feel like it's a missing more than just the tongue, like the whole mouth is almost it's.
Speaker 1: Got to be some other part in there. Yeah, but it's it's missing. I mean, that's much.
Speaker 2: That would be more than because that first is like an animal. But an animal would just probably like nibble the tongue a bit.
Speaker 1: There would be remnants of the tongue if it's an animal. And remember there are the three meters under snow. How can animals get to them under that much snow?
Speaker 2: Well, prior to I was thinking.
Speaker 1: Prior to maybe, but you're on dead Mountain. There's no game up there.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that. I forgot.
Speaker 1: So there's there's a lot of theories surrounding that. But there's a lot of a lot of questions. There's a lot of questions in a lot of this.
Speaker 2: The tongue is the weirdest part so far.
Speaker 1: The tongue is definitely strange, let's put it that way. So that's what we have for all these these individuals. However, when it comes to the tongue in the autopsy, they say that they were they found one hundred milligrams of a blood in her stomach, which is signs. People say that's a sign that her tongue was removed. When she was alive. Oh alive?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Could you imagine having your tongue removed?
Speaker 2: I don't want to imagine that. That sounds awful.
Speaker 1: It is like she got the worst of it. Oh she did, for sure she did. But now get this, So a lot of people say, like, because she had the blood in her stomach, that means that she was alive when it happened. The autopsy report says it was a slimy mass in her stomach, hundred milligrams of a slimy mass, like a bloody, slimy mass. Okay that it doesn't say it's all blood, So it could be a little bit of blood mixed in with like the food she was eating, and it's just natural decomp that sort of thing. So doesn't necessarily say that she was alive because it could just be a little bit of blood seeping down from when post mortem.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of detail, I feel like, bh bit.
Speaker 1: So that is what we have on all the autops your reports, and I'm going to put the autopsy reports where I got my information linked down below so you guys can take a look.
Speaker 2: If you really want, ive a bit deeper, if they'd like.
Speaker 1: Yes, So that is what we found from all the bodies. Now let's get into the theories. But before we get into the theories, I want to know what do you think happened? Where's your thought? Lie?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, I was like all on this animal train until you reminded me that it's dead mountain. So and oh. I also had the feeling that maybe like there was like an argument or they like it's partibly the group separated or whatever and weren't happy with each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not happy. That's definitely something that could happen.
Speaker 2: But still, like, I mean, there are friends and to go that wild on each other, that's that's a bit much.
Speaker 1: But again, these injuries in the autopsy report says it was like a car crash and impossible for a human to inflict.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, thanks, I had two theories.
Speaker 1: All the problem is there is no perfect theory for this. It's just trying to find the best one that fits because it doesn't make sense. No theory so far makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, yeah, it's been a long time and we're probably not going to solve it in our living room.
Speaker 1: I mean I would like to, I would like to try. Let's do it. Okay, So, oh, this is a thing I have written down that I actually omitted because I told you the diaphragm of the mouth and the tongue is missing. That's straight out of the autopsy reports. For the eyes, it says gaping orbits the eyeballs are missing or absent. That's a quote from the report as well, gaping, gaping orbits the eyeballs are absent. That's the quote from the eyeballs in the report. Oh okay, okay, So now that you know that, let's get into theories. There's several theories that are going on here, and we're gonna we're gonna try and dive into this and I'm gonna try and give you all the information that I can. There's there's too much to give, but I'll see what I can do. So, first off, the most common thing people go with, did you hear my voice crack? There? Most common?
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you having puberty?
Speaker 1: Maybe? Maybe I had a testicle just dropped there? Thirty two years old, My first testical dropped nice. So the most common theory is paradoxical undressing. Ever heard of it? No, Well, I'm about to tell you about it.
Speaker 2: I want to hear yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. If you didn't, if you just said no, the podcast would have just been over. Okay bye.
Speaker 2: Oh it been that easy, yeap, just that easy.
Speaker 1: Peace. So. Paradoxical undressing is when a hypothermia patient gets so severe that they actually stop shivering and they get so confused that their body actually tells them that they are overheating and not freezing, and they remove their clothes.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 1: And this only happens in like twenty twenty five percent of severe hypothermia patients.
Speaker 2: That's sad, hey.
Speaker 1: It is, and it's terrifying.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would imagine you would just be completely terrifying.
Speaker 1: I mean imagine like sticking your hand in like icy water. Eventually it starts to feel like it's burning.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine that's probably what they're feeling is that they.
Speaker 2: Are burning up in their whole body.
Speaker 1: So their brain is making them confused, and they are feeling that they're burning up, and they are removing their clothes to try and cool down and thus only making it worse.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: However, this theory is pretty easily thrown out the window, even just in the fact that you consider it's only twenty five percent of severe hypothermia patients get this approximately twenty five percent. And you have nine individuals that all got paradoxical undressing at the same time in their tent with a stove and they're warm their older clothes.
Speaker 2: Oh, because they're thinking it started when they were in their tent. Yeah, okay for them to be cutting from the inside, so does that.
Speaker 1: And even still some of these people are putting on more clothes because they're found with multiple layers.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because some of them I felt like were quite dressed.
Speaker 1: So I mean even paradoxical undressing might have happened to one or two of them, who knows that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but ones by the fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of them were not wearing many clothes. Are definitely not fit for it. They're barefoot in a lot of cases, or not barefoot, but in socks. So that's one theory. Another theory, another popular theory is an avalanche. Avalanche was coming, you know, they cut out of the tent panicking, and they took off. However, they they didn't just run away. There's calm footprints in the snow. They walked away.
Speaker 2: Calmly when their tents still standing, right, Yeah, the people went to search.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean mind you like it's cut open, it's knocked down a little bit, and the wind and everything, but there was no sign of an avalanche.
Speaker 2: It would have been covered up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their tent was still there, Their footprints are not covered up. The bodies that were found were not major covered in snow, except the ones who were farther down the mountain in a small ravine. Those ones could have been covered in an avalanche because they were under three meters of snow. They were found two months later, so it's hard to show an avalanche at that time.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that would make sense for them.
Speaker 1: That group of people, Yes, the last four found.
Speaker 2: But then you also said there was a camp by them.
Speaker 1: Had they had a fire down there. Yeah, they were trying to like make a fire and stay warm down there, So then it could have been and that could explain their their traumatic injuries down in that ravine. Okay, Yeah, so that one makes sense, But that's farther down the mountain past the tent, and there's no sign of an avalanche up higher, but the tent and the other bodies.
Speaker 2: An avalanche isn't going to take out your eyeballs and tongue.
Speaker 1: It's not and like I said, they're under snow, and then they were found in the spring, not because they just melted, like they were digging them out to find them. You can find photos where they're like literally digging them out of the snow. So the eyeballs and stuff still don't explain an avalanche. No, an avalanche would have covered up the princes, would have covered up all the bodies, would have covered up the tent. But it didn't and there was no sign of an avalanche. The investigation of that time reported no signs of an avalanche.
Speaker 2: Unless the thing in her stomach was her tongue.
Speaker 1: I mean, technically it could have been. She could have shoot a kind of or something you can only chew off so much like you can't go all the way back for your tongue to be missing. It would have been partially missing. But she could have bit her tongue or something to explain the blood in her tongue's stomach. That's very possible. So avalanche is another theory, and we can also go into we're going to look left field here a little bit. UFOs could have been alien activity. They could have been I like UFO theories, but I know they're they're slimmed to none chance I just entered. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: It explained some unknown things in the world.
Speaker 1: It does. But the UFO theory really comes to and here's a bit of a punt here, really comes to light because there was orbits are orbs of light spotted around the mountain prior to the same night of their death and afterwards, as well by other hikers in the area, by people on the rescue op and by military individuals, also the local Nancy tribe. So several people reported these orbs of light in the sky all over this mountain prior to, during and.
Speaker 2: After really that aren't normally there, that are not normally there. That's interesting.
Speaker 1: So I mean that there's a lot more that dives into with this UFO theory, because I mean, like you said, the tongue removal, the eye removal, who knows. I didn't dive deep, too deep into it, because it's it was a major rabbit hole, a lot of really stretched out theories. But that was the main thing that could support the UFO things. But the UFO thing, the orb the lights in the sky, the orbs could be debunked by another theory, which is the military, the military military. You're in the middle of Soviet Russia during the Cold War and the arms race, they're nuclear testing, and shit, I think rockets whatever.
Speaker 2: And would that just look like an orb up in the sky.
Speaker 1: I think I think nighttime, So think like rockets in the sky, spaceships like almost like it's an airplane off in the distance, like you're seeing something like that. I mean, that could explain the the orbs in the sky. That could be the light the orbs that they see.
Speaker 2: It could totally could so.
Speaker 1: I mean that could be military, you know, things going on, launching missiles. Who knows. Not only that three articles of clothing that were found were found to be radioactive. Three articles of clothing from the hikers are radioactive, radioactive higher than normal radioactive levels. I've got on my phone here, where's my phone over here?
Speaker 2: I don't even know what that means, how that happens.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, my first question is why the fuck are they testing for radioactivity?
Speaker 2: True? Is that a normal thing?
Speaker 1: I mean, you have nine hikers that go missing out in the.
Speaker 2: Freaking wilderness, they.
Speaker 1: Find their dead bodies, Yeah, what are you gonna do? Test them for radioactivity?
Speaker 2: What that's weird.
Speaker 1: That is definitely weird. So I've got it here, let me see if I can find it.
Speaker 2: I wonder, Yeah, yeah, I want to know why.
Speaker 1: So the scale for testing radioactivity because everything around us has some degree of radioactivity, right, Like your cup of wine could be one hundred on this scale, anything over five thousand dpm, and dpm stands for disintegrations per minute. Whatever that means, I don't know. But the scale is five thousand. Anything over that is an abnormal radioactive level. Okay, so there was a pair of pants that registered five thousand dpm, a shirt that registered five thousand, six hundred dpm, and another shirt that registered nine nine hundred dpm.
Speaker 2: That's high.
Speaker 1: However, this can also kind of be debunked. Potentially, these three articles of clothing belong to two individuals on the crew who previously worked at nuclear facilities. Okay, but like in one case, it was like two years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, that shit probably doesn't wash out in the lock.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't imagine it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but it can't be to stay there forever either.
Speaker 1: But still, why the fuck are they testing for radioactivity? That's right, If the radioactivity can be explained, why are they testing for that in the first place?
Speaker 2: I would like to know that.
Speaker 1: And then another thing that they can say that they said in the report is it could potentially just be like atmospherical radioactive desks that just like particles or whatever that just somehow attached itself, which is honestly sounds to me like swamp gas, explains UFOs.
Speaker 2: But maybe it's just high in that area too, and maybe this is something they could cast.
Speaker 1: But then why would that be the only thing that's radioactive? Why not the rest of the clothes, tent or anything.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm trying to explain what happened here.
Speaker 1: And you're just not letting me well, because you can't explain any of this so far. There's it's so weird. Is the problem?
Speaker 2: Very odd?
Speaker 1: Now? And this is the biggest thing that supports the military being involved here, or one of the biggest things. So there are signed documents by government specific government officials that are signed and dated multiple times. These dates, these specific dates are written more than once on the same document, So keep that in mind.
Speaker 2: So they didn't just write the date wrong or something.
Speaker 1: It wasn't written wrong. It was written this date multiple times. So it was signed and dated February fifteenth, that they knew of the group's death. Let that sink in February fifteenth, they knew of the group's.
Speaker 2: Death, but yet they didn't start searching until the twenty first, correct, but the government knew.
Speaker 1: There's government documents that are signed saying, oh, February fifteenth, we know they're dead. We have we have found them dead on February.
Speaker 2: Fifteen, just left them there.
Speaker 1: But the yeah, the search party wasn' even launched until the twenty first.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's really weird.
Speaker 1: And there's other documents that say six days before the search party even dispatched. Hold on, hold on, what do I have here? Okay? Sorry, that's sorry, Yes, here we go. So on February sixth, they already launched their own search party. The government launched their search party on February sixth, and they found their dead bodies on the fifteenth. That's what the signed documents are dated, signed saying what they were supposed to return on the twelfth, and the government already launched the investigation on the sixth.
Speaker 2: And because what day did they leave again.
Speaker 1: They left the twenty eighth. I think.
Speaker 2: Really that doesn't make any sense and you can.
Speaker 1: I'll put a link down below in it. It was a discuss channel, like a documentary sort of thing that I found that I watched this on and they actually have copies of these documents and they're showing up they're talking about it. I'll put that down in the description doublow as well and in the notes.
Speaker 2: Did they not question these I mean, I guess I questioned these dates. That's really weird.
Speaker 1: By all accounts, these documents shouldn't exist, but they.
Speaker 2: Do, and if someone needs to be held accountable for that, that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: So you've covered paradoxical undressing avalanche UFO military. Another popular theory is a yetti YETI A YETI a bombable snowman sam switch up in the mountains. You know.
Speaker 2: I thought it might bringin like Dumbler right.
Speaker 1: Away, the ye cool. No, like the actual ye yety because there was I should have actually wrote the quote down. I didn't write it down, but there was a quote in one of the journals, and I might get this quote wrong, but it said something along the lines of we now know the snowmen are real, really yeah, whatever the fuck that.
Speaker 2: Means that that yeah.
Speaker 1: Not only that there is an image that was taken on one of the cameras of a figure in the trees. Now, this could be one of the group. It's a very silhouette like figure, but it looks very much like a YETI too.
Speaker 2: I want to see it.
Speaker 1: We'll post it up on Instagram. We'll post it on Instagram so you guys can take a look too, if you want to find it. It's on our Instagram. So this is a really weird one, but there's a little bit of evidence to back it up, which is kind of crazy. So we have the YETI. Now this is the most logical explanation I found, which I found a YouTuber talking about it. I never found anyone else talking about it, so it might be his theory. Again, I'll put it in the footnotes. Smoke inhalation.
Speaker 2: Smoke inhalation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, picture this. You're in a tent. They had a little camp stove in the tent keeping warm, Yeah, keeping warm. They even found like bacon in there in the stomach and stuff. Because I'm making food, they're eating from this camp stove. So they're lighting fires and stuff and this camp stove. And it could be that it something faulted out in the way they assembled it, or they're disassembling it for whatever reason, m and smoke started filling up the tent to a degree that they couldn't see, they couldn't breathe, and they had to escape, or they were trying to slash the tent let smoke escape, and they scrambled out escaping through what they slashed through.
Speaker 2: With the knife and it was too smoky just to open.
Speaker 1: Those could have been so that explained some burns because not only the first two victims that we found burns on his left side of his head and that sort of stuff. There was burns on clothes even in photos. There was proof of burns on clothes prior to their their their deaths. There's multiple minor burns found without this whole case could explain those burns as well, but it doesn't explain why they walk away from the tent. That's the thing that well even still like, why did they leave the tent? You know it's smoky, you're not gonna you're barefoot and stuff. There's nothing to run from or nothing to walk away aired out. So that's the part that's sketchy about this theory. But anyways, they leave for whatever reason and they make up camp. The group could have potentially split up, which could result in why there's fight marks or whatever on fists and bruisings and face some sort of fight happened of disagreement because they're now in peril and they cut open their tent.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they're like completely screwed.
Speaker 1: So the first five stayed up on the tree line and the other four went down to the lower into the ravine. Those four got hit with a small avalanche below them, causing the trauma. Doesn't explain the eyes and tongue missing, but it does explain the trauma like a car crash and why they were buried under so much snow. The rest of the ones of the tree line, the first two froze to death, and the other three decided to turn back and go back up to the tent but never made it, and that could explain why Igor Yatlov was wearing one of the other guy's shirts who had passed away. Okay, that is the most logical theory to me, though it's not bulletproof. There's still holes in it.
Speaker 2: And sorry, this was the YouTuber No, yes, this was.
Speaker 1: A YouTube guy who was talking about this theory. He talks about the entire events, and near the end, at the very end, he talks about this piece. I'll put that YouTube video in the show notes.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it's a thought through theory, but yeah, there's still some loopholes in.
Speaker 1: There, definitely. Now, okay, we gotta wind this down now, but there is a couple more little things I'm gonna note here. There was a nurse who did the autopsies, and she is now like eighty six years old, maybe a little older by now. But by the time she gave this what's the word I'm looking for, statement, statement, sure, claim whatever. When she gave this statement, this claim, she was at eighty six years old. She was working as an autopsy on these bodies, and she autopsied the bodies individually. But she said there was not nine bodies, but there was eleven, two.
Speaker 2: More bodies, two more bodies, just randomly.
Speaker 1: Her husband also worked on the autopsies, and he claims there was nine.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, So you have two separate stories in the same household.
Speaker 1: It's interesting one hundred percent, like you think these two would be on the same page, but to be fair, we're never on the same page. Maybe I can get it a little bit. However, she claims there's eleven. There's no proof of this whatsoever other than her claim, a claim of an eighty six year old woman. But this is where it gets a little weird and gives her a little bit of credibility. Potentially, you're a Uden, the tenth hiker who turned back and actually survived this h He's testified that there was both a journal missing and a camera missing that have never been found, which is I mean, not irregular up in the wilderness, and that's sort of sa But this journal was held very closely at all times by one of these individuals. He never did not have it on him, So if it was not on him, it would have been in the tent and it was not ever found. Interesting and also among the items found there was a pair of glasses and a pair of skis that Yuri says did not belong to any of the members on the hike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he does he actually remember what everybody had.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure he's gonna remember a pair of skis if if someone has.
Speaker 2: They have skis or not.
Speaker 1: Yes, they had skis they left by foot and skis they were skiing up there. You can see in the photos that they're all in like cross country skis and such.
Speaker 2: Huh. I don't know. I mean, I don't know if I would remember what I packed in my own pack.
Speaker 1: He testifies to it, though, he says that those are not our skis and those are not our glasses. Okay, so who knows now you're a uten is actually his theory. He falls in under the military category. That's what he believes happened, something with the military, that they stumbled on something that they shouldn't have. Something happened. And I think with him, you think so, Yeah, I'm leaning towards the smoke inhalation theory. It makes the most sense, though it's not bulletproof. There's still stuff. But that's That's where I'm going. I gotta go this. It explains the burns. It's the only one that explains them really rapidly getting out of the tent to me.
Speaker 2: But then to walk from that seems weird.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: It does, unless their footprints got covered up or something and it's just other people like walking.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe that was the military, because the military notes show that they were there prior to so maybe from them, maybe those were them. Maybe their footprints got covered up and the military who came in by those documents later on it's their foot me maybe maybe maybe done dune Dunn.
Speaker 2: Maybe one day we'll find out.
Speaker 1: Who knows. Although there was an investigation launched last year into it twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: They're still actively reach.
Speaker 1: Twenty nineteen, the Russian government launched an investigation back into it, and in twenty twenty they closed it with the conclusion that it was an avalanche, even though in the very first investigation there was no signs of an avalanche. Their tent was not covered, these footprints aren't covered, their bodies are not covered other than just a little bit of snow drifting.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, no, just another weird thing to add to twenty twenty, Right's yeah, no.
Speaker 1: So this is the case of the Diatlov Past incident. It's one of my favorites. Of course I had to start with this. It was an amazing, amazing, well not an amazing, it's it was fun to dive into it. And man, I can't imagine if I were up on there, the tear of these people were.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's very tragic, so said.
Speaker 1: Hopefully we actually figure it out one day, and though these people are put to rest. I believe, not all of them. I think there's seven or eight of them that are laid to rest, all together in a graveyard nearby the one of the towns, and there is a memorial for all of them together there as well.
Speaker 2: Oh that'd be cool to see that. Hey, yeah, it would be yeah.
Speaker 1: And if you want to see more, Like I said, we go to post some photos on our Instagram, So head over to Wicketing Grim on Instagram. You'll see some photos and we're gonna be posting more there as more stories come out and as we talk about more cases.
Speaker 2: It's number one, number one.
Speaker 1: We have many more to go. So here's here's who Are our podcast, the first podcast of many Cheers cheers. We got to think of an outro, though, because how are we gonna end this? Just buy just what's up? I don't know what are we gonna do? What's our outro?
Speaker 2: Stay wicked?
Speaker 1: You know that's not bad. Stay wicked, Stay Wicked. I like it. Stay Wicked. Guys. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: See you